Skip to main content

tv   Stossel  FOX Business  December 22, 2013 12:00am-1:01am EST

12:00 am
consider this an invitation to come on "the willis report". that's my "2 cents more." and that's it for tonight on "the willis report thanyou for joining us. have a great night. >> this was the year of obamacare. >government shutdown. the government shutdown. john: i did notice that spending and i kept going on and poor people helped in ou government lied and lied about it. >> no one is listening to your telephone. >> and many policies are eager to go to work. >> this is not the time to be a silent spectator. >> the left was eager to pass more gun control. >> what we really need are clear
12:01 am
goals. and everybody can completeon the same time. >> this is juswhat we see he. a new federal part. ifis just what we see here. a new federal part. if you wanted to get the state and county and city laws, you need to run a bigger building. we are now a sea of government power with ever shrinking islands of liberty
12:02 am
john: how could this be? magically we get more foless and now some of the truth has come out. the cato institute predicted that. >> we are happy to have been proved right. evyone knows that you can't have the government, you can't have government central planning create more things for more people anhave it cost less. we could have more stuff for less money.
12:03 am
>> of course it is going to be more expensive. and what has happened so far? people don't get that. these private insurance compans, they are making a profit. by having government mandate that the profit isn't is ittoo much, and organizin things better and it will be cheaper for all. >> profit is not where your payment is going. and when people are not personally invested in what they are buying,. >> my biggest cocern is that it's been a disasous and this is as good as omacare will
12:04 am
get. and those programs were relatively efficient early on. d now we see that they ar bankrupt and the rest of the country. and enjoy it now because obamacare will not get better. >> more americans are understanding th. until they own and control the health care ollars. john: summative videos and se were trying to get others to sign up. john: some don't realize that they are asking people to pay for geezers like me.
12:05 am
>> you think the disastrous rollout hakind of brken up younger people people like obama, it's like mecare and it's like social security. systems that are put into place for good reasons, but are screwing poor young people. john: i appreciate what you guys are doing. >> to spend it wisely. >> let's move ono government spending. in thiyear we had another partial government shutdown in themedia suggested that some may not survive. >> a government shutwn could put those at risk. >> is not esponsible. >> has already been cut to the bone. >> there are no more cuts to
12:06 am
make. >> we always get into this debate of what should we cut. and it detracts from the larger picture. because in the end that not what is driving us down. it is the entitlement spending. and the research we conducted indicated that there's a wide appeal for entitlement spending and spending restraints. and i think off the politicns actually thought about it in those terms, they would have a policy. >> if inflation goesu, it could raise th social security payment? john: what do you think people are inking? i think people realize that nowthat people are inesting in 401k plans and we don't have that relice on are heavily run by government entitlement programs. >> it is not a retirement plan, it takesmoney from young poor people. >> would be mean not?
12:07 am
>> and i think that -- you are not gettg a payout that is tied to what you put in. >> when i alk to people, some say government is too big. >> then i find it upsetting. >> they don't know. >> i do want to point out a few people. they were quick to maintain ths. >> what about the people that need them? >> that is what the state is for. >> anything non-authorized by the constitution. >> i am a poor person, i would find a way to eat.
12:08 am
>> i haen't heard people y this until this decade. this is a new concept. >> it's actually rlly fantastic. one of the great things it doesn't me out of this i that they crowd outprivate institutions and private charities that otherwise would come iand help people. and of course we don't want to do it alon we want to help people in ned. and these people are recognizing it and saying that the local church is a much bette option. >> the next topic, and if they find. all three of you say that this is one of the biggest stories of the year. but i just don't get it. i assumed that spying was going in our political enemy somehow read mike e-mail. and i ma this list of a hundred things i hate more about my government then nsa spying.
12:09 am
libertarians trust me, they call me disgusting. and so please educate me. >> i think that you are part of this. they think the worst of gornment. they think the worst of centralizedower to begin wth. reason whythe revelation about oad-base widescale surveillance by the government of every trasaction that you are having, freaked people out. it is because that is not what the government has been saying to them. and they have been talking about we are not looking at your phone calls or your internet browsers or any of that. and it turned out to be wrong and these are things that outrage people. because it is such a disconnect between the public face o government and what it does.
12:10 am
and so suddenly th are spying on all of us. it isand his terrorist or foreign leaders. i don't think americans could understand that. that is why there has been this huge eruption about it. >> what kind ofuge eruption? and certainly among journalts and all of the wired citizens in the country, lots of internet outreach. and has a cot and he won an election? well, we haven't had an election e this came out. but how does it cost the government a lot of the trust that it d built up? >> yes, the gallup poll has found. something like 65% of independents believe that the government has to much too much power and i think that is a tribute otol not only to th
12:11 am
demonstrable failures of government policy, but these disclosures. and people are bothered by this. >> there was a fear that's another is a realization. ere is a military information compx. john: people do want t kil these are big data sweeps. >> we need to have targeted searches. >> they put itin the constitution. they said that we have reason to believe that in this address the is terrorist related activity.
12:12 am
>> we are always laughing in the shot of government secrecy. anand you have to trust us whene say that we want to do this. and they said this is howe use the data in those cases do not rely on data sweeps, bu where you infirating known terrorist we are never going to collect everything, and then we will have your chair is wrapd up with a bow. >> so we know that they are
12:13 am
serial liars about this john: cing up net, is new idea, freedom ze. and moref the good and the bad and the uglyof 2013. we will have the next.
12:14 am
12:15 am
12:16 am
12:17 am
>> this is not the time to be silent spectators to slaughter. >> we can stop childre from being gassed to delta. john: they were, and adults, we did not intervene. what happened? we're back with o panel. what happened? >> what happened,he country did not want to go to another war in a muslim country. the president, and secretary of state, a lot of republican leaders made this argument. it is a compelling case, terrible things happening in syria. president said don't need congressional other to do this
12:18 am
-- other to do this there was enough push back on that he said i'm going to congress to ask. it was clear congress was listening to the people, the people did not want to go into this war, they dropped it. >> rand paul happened, his push back, his leading the fight against syrianntervention gave congress a spine for the first time arguably since korea. they have always gone along to get along, that ended. 12 years in iraq, and 12 in afghanistan, and everywhere else, good luck with this one, we're not supporting it. john: buwe do have clear interests in syria. >> we do. that is the easy part, keeping chemical weapons out of the hands of terrorists. the harder part is what you do about that? a tyrant on oneide, and a rebellion camp melfed by al
12:19 am
qaeda on the other side. john we decided not to do anything, you say good, all of you? >> right. >> probably. john: a probably. gun control, after newtown school shooting a big push for gun conontrol. here in new york city, my friends, my own wife, said, how could you not say there should not be more rules against these weapons, yet no new legislation result. so wha happened? >> i think what happened is that people recognize that you don't makeood laws inhe wake of a tragedy. which sandy hk was. john: people recognize that? americans ? >> yes. in this case, as you said, mor gun control legislation did not go forward. >> they are pa are -- the mediae saying passa. >> people understand that over the past 20 years or more, there have been liberalized gun laws, more people can own guns a
12:20 am
carry tmn more circumstances across the country, at the same time gun violence has gone down. >> guns are a cultural issue. east coast elites, liberal elites they don't like guns they don't know guns, ineartland of america, a lot of people use guns, mosy responsibly, they can give them to theer teenage kids, teach them to go hunting, a lot of the bloomberg hollywood access they don't understand that. theyre surprised when the terrible things happen. and it does not cause the american people to say,e need to crackdown on guns. in fact, o opposition to strickr gun control has bn going up. john: 2013 the year a major american city declared bankrupt, i feared d detroit is just a little bit ahead of the rest of the country. >> one of the problem for deetz deetzdetroi you had politiciansd
12:21 am
union leaders, rubbing each other's bks, unions kept politicians i and then they warded them with khy pensions. john: indeed teat they kept electing politicians saying they would fix it now, instead, cnn got this one right. >> they turned city hall into a den of bribes and kickbacks making themselves rich. john: former mayor, charged taxpayer for 54 trips, limo rental, and nightclub charges, but some 50 cities have gone broke since 198 usually it is just giving. %-ney from unions and unionsing gets money from politicians, they sit down and engage in hard bargaining, that is where detroit is the canary in the mine for a lot of american cities and states.
12:22 am
>> it catches up with people, hopefully, other cities will learn from droit a mend their ways. john: you pointed out in cities and state government, this groupon attitude, you can get a dollar but spend 60-cents. > as long as you may 60-cents and good a dollar's worth of persever goods out of, that you want more. th is happening on federal level, government borrows 40-cents of ove colo over dollat ends. but we have to get out of that mentality, you cannot get a bargain for ever. john: let detroit be with a lesson. in the show, i po my santa hat, tell you who was naughty and nice this year, good news about the yr next, we ask you, to vote on what you want our panelists to dscuss. we'll tell you which topics get to the most votes when we return.
12:23 am
12:24 am
parents sure have their hands full... and they could use an extra hand. now, every state offers free low cost health insurance for your sports hero... or budding artist. kids up to age 19 can get check-ups, doctor and dentist visits, hospital care, prescriptions and more. your child may qualify based on your family size and income. it's one less thing to worry aut. call or go online for more information.
12:25 am
12:26 am
12:27 am
john: on facebook wesked our audience to vote for the topic us would like or panelists to discuss, overwhelming winner, common core. most of america does not know what that is, they should government plan to make sure every government school has same standards. >> that is where common core state standard come in with the same rule everyone can compete on the same staircase. john: sounds like aood thing? >> really, why. centralization. all children are different. states have dftz po department population, a small gro of eleetzists in washington want t impose a set of ruling on schools in 15,000 school districts across the nation.
12:28 am
>> a electri a long term plan to centraze -- >> don't we need a standard test, can't we see is the kids learning >> we have standard tests there are plenty, besides,ou say standard tests, there is no stdard test forhat a tv show should look like but the market, or what a smartphone should look like but what people are willing to buy. >> in the work place we allow people flexibility, to have chaired jobs and entertainment, they buy and watch what they want, this is so old fashioned. why -- >> because government knows best! don't you know that. >> finally, good news this year, you say there is some stuff we should celebrate. >> there was progress on marijuanareedom. cup evercouple of stated. and there was progress toward
12:29 am
marriage equality, they did not come from washington, they came from the peoplend the states, and in the world, economic freedom continues to increed. there is a -- >> we fell in the ranking. >> in the wld as whole, a slow steady progress, toward more economyreedom. john: hurray for the world. >> despite common core story, i think there was a lot of wins for educational freedom with new tax credi programs, and numerous states in alabama, indiana, iowa and others, and education saving account expanded and voucher acounts expanded. >> the single biggest story that is a true game changer is edward owden revelation thatills on things done earlier by anonymous and wikileaks and other agency. >> there is a different grammar to running governments now, you
12:30 am
will be found out wha found outo people, i look forward to when this type of revelation saleherreded into things like department of agricultural subsidy programs, we're at very beginning able to the lve a lot of government people shaking in their boots. john: pole shows, pew said 19% of the people trust the governnt to do what is right. just about all or most of the time. reporters wringing their hands we're losing faith in government i say yippee, they are finly figuring it out. i was thinking about how 22% of americans identify th the tea party it is understated. i actually feel comfort in that, knowing almost a quarter of the pulation top identify with the movement whose goal is to rein in government. john: thank you. ck, sab reason adavid, coming up some new ideas from senator
12:31 am
rand paul. there's no place like home.
12:32 am
12:33 am
announcer: getting home safely is just a click away, bumaking sure your child is in the right seat is just one of the steps down the road to safer travels. oz: i don't knowhow it ! announcer: find the right seat for your little one's age and size. dorothy: we've done what you told us. there's no better way to get home safely. know for sure that yourhild is in the right seat.
12:34 am
get all the facts at safercar.gov/therightseat brought to you by the national highway traffic safety administration and the ad council.
12:35 am
john: in 2013 our rulers added to this pile of rules we muftz must ebamustobecause. together they strong else life. i was delighted when a lawye i barely knew, suddenly epted with statements like this one. >> this is an agenda of control for its own sake. that is why regulators do what they do. john: control for its own sake. that they are not powernts? >> i'm guessing have you not dealt with many bureaucrats they like rules they live to enforce rules. hn: that was part of myself tv
12:36 am
special, war on the little guy fox again soon, now the star. of this jeff rose is back, to tell us about 3 new aaults on the little guy. this new focus on food? >> right we have a new food freedom initiative. about grassroots movemen people who want to make and sell simple wholesome tasty food, and mile high wall of regulations they run into trying to d that. john: food freedom, let's talk about your first case, you represent small farms in oregon that sell unpasturized raw milk but are not allowed to let people know about it. >> i not aowed to put up an ads in the local health food store or newspaper or go to a feftfestival a pro most promotee parliament.
12:37 am
what is the logic? >> there snow logic -- there is no logic. >> bureaucrats, they would talk to us, they say this is in litigation. >> the bureaucrats think tt food thattpeople have eaten for thousands of years just is note safe. that drinking waughilk is like -- raw milk is like juggling hand grenades. john: i think they have a point. but you should b free to -- if you are allowed toell i you should b be allowed to tell people. >> there are people who want to drin raw milk, they should be able to do it. john: nt case. do you have a vegetable garden? hope you don't have it in your front yard in miami shores florida. this couple had one for 17 years, they grew onion, pepper, let uslettuce, this year local government said r your garden out. >> have you have garden gnomes
12:38 am
and pinnapples and patchys but you cannot have carrots, washington was a farmer. they did not fight a war so people could have a government that will not allow to grow carrots in your own land. >> this is jane, jane bakes cookies, and cakes, and breads, and scones, jane bakes the treats in her clean company 18 at home -- kitchen at home, she takes them to local farmer' market. they are a hit. this is a bureaucrat from like small businesses like jane, when customer r want tolace spial orders minnesota said, no. mayb jane could sell her treats from home, not going to happen. john: they are worried about food safety. >> if bureaucrats had their way. all we would do is eat pab lem
12:39 am
that isster esterste steve fish. >> they awh allowler to sel at farmer's market but not other places. >> if you want to sell your food, and people want to buy it, it should not matter whether it is a farmer's marke or amazon.com. john: and at farmer's market she cannot make more than $5,000 a year in sales. >> that is $10 a week, you can have a job but you can't make more than $ 10 a week at it. john: he has interest from stores, job sites, special orders, catering jobs. >> can't do it legally this is what small business entrepreneurs, not just food area, run into. this is why the institute for justice is fighting back. john: dartment of reaction in minnesota sd we cannot comment
12:40 am
beuse of lawsuit. when you take these cases do you tell people like her, go ahead and sell it,r say, stoppuntil we win our case? >> usually we tell them you better stop until we win the case, if they are going t get in serious trouble. thank you, jeff rose. coming up, santa. will tell us who was naughty and nice this year, but next, senatorand paul, he didn't think it was right when people eaier this year asked the president, when is it legal for america to kill someone with a drone, the president would not give an awer. so senator paul stood up on the floor of senate and tracked. and talk -- talkednd talked until we go the ap an answer, ad answer? i'll ask the senator about that and what his critics say nt. >> rand paul is not a flawed messenger on this subject, he is
12:41 am
a ridiculous, sick, paranoid messenger on this subject.
12:42 am
12:43 am
12:44 am
12:45 am
be one this year would have been worse for liberty of her were not for a few freedom fighters who push back against big government. senator rand paul of kentucky. a filibuster over americans and the joint policy. why is this? >> i am kind of a stickler for the bill of rightsand i think that we should be nnocent and presumed to be innocent until found guilty by a court law. our founding fathers thought this was important enough to enshrine it in the bl of rights. so i was very worried that the president was going to say, okay, i can kill americans without any kind of accusation and i asked him repeatedly. and then finally we had a filibuster an it was like pulling teeth to get him to admit. john: did he answer personally.
12:46 am
>> presidents don't like to admit any limitations on their authority. >i never thought the president would do this, but i thought it strange that the president would not admit that he did not have the authority. they are about the rules that bind president annan people. and we really don't get n
12:47 am
angel, we get it over. so we really do want the bill of rights to protect us at all times. john: many say it is that inteally. but john mccain said this. needs to do more than firing up libertarian kids and their college dorms. >> it did fire up libertarian kids. i thought that was great. stand with him on twitter, it's about. but you worked with senator john mccain. how is that ing? >> we have a good personal relationship and i respect him as a wr hero. it doesn't mean it is always right, but he deserves our respect and others for his time spent as a prisoner of war. but one of point of view is that if you are deemed to be
12:48 am
dangerous, of course we can't incarcerate you with no trial d no attorneand no harges. in my response to that is that it begs the question. who gets todetermine whether or not you are guilty you of something? the government has critea that says that you ar susicious if you like to pay cash atthe ore. if you have missing fingers, stains on her clothing, or have changed the color of your hair. and that might include quite a few people in our country. you don't have to build back very far to see the government abusing its power. the conservtive groups, the religious groupstheyere targeted for their political beliefs and given different types of treatment by the irs. and every cell phone call in america is being kept the records of medicine analed by the government. and that goes against the founding fathers and what they talked about in the amendments.
12:49 am
john: they are not listening to the cause. >> it's none of their business and i should not have to justify my privacy toanyone unless they i am an inteational business person who deals with peoppe in sweden. and they say that its open. or maybe has a personal relationship that they don't want to talk about. and i think we ha let that lae. john: these could be an option for places like detroit. >> instead of asking houston to bail out detroit, but we do is
12:50 am
help detroiters bail themselves out. and those who pay more taxes will get more back. and those are the businesses that have already shown that they can get customers to vote for their business on a daily basis and it would leave over a billion dollars in detroit, not nding it to washington, and i think it's a kind of free-market stimulus that would actually wor john: not just detroit, but the same tat parts of china have tried as well. >> just come i think it's good that republicans can be for something consistent with their beliefs that would help people in need of help. john: thank you, senator rand paul. if you like to lea more, i posted a link on my twitterage atfbn stossel. and coming up next, getting out mysant hat and my secret lt as to who is naughty and nice and 2013.. [ male announcer ] how can power coumption in china,
12:51 am
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we underand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's jt one reason over 70% of our mutual funds beat their0-year lipper average t. rowe price. invest with confidence. with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing.
12:52 am
12:53 am
12:54 am
john: okay, it is time to open my book and y report. who is naughty and who is nice? who gets lumps of coal this
12:55 am
christmas? well, nancy pelosi, because she said that government does not have a spending problem. and she also said that government cannot spend any ess because the cupboard is bare. >> no more cuts to make it, it's really important that people understand that. john: no more cuts? they spend mor than 3 trillion and that is why it puzzles me that the president says over the past two years he will reduce deficits that more than $2.5 trillio more than o thirds of it through spending cuts. john: spending cuts? no, they didn't cut much of anything. the deficit decreased because of the blowup stimulus. and the president proposed increasing spending by less than he wanted to. it's not a cut. and also this being said about obamacare.
12:56 am
>> every time they have predicted something not working, it has worked ♪ ♪ john: hardly. they applaud, but it didn't work and that's when they postponed a mandate. the problem is that we have a government that is so big and so powerful and so expensive and fast that cannot adequately be supervised. >> and senator mike lee is on my nice list fo pointing that out and david axelrod agreed with him this year. so he is on the nice side of this s well. along with rand ul, because he demanded that the president come clean about drone stikes. >> i cannot sit at my desk quietly and let the president say that he will kill americans on american soil, those who are not actively attacking a country. john: the shock that a senator has to say something so obvious.
12:57 am
john mccain, because aftethe filibuster that e called libertarians a wacko birds, and chris christie, because he said this. >> this strain of libertarianism that is going through both parties right now ad makingbig headlines. i think it ia very dangerous thought. >> wll, it's big government is dangerous. and a lump of coal to governor ris christie but nice gifts for docratic senators tom harkin and jay rockefeller. surprise to find them here o the nice side of this ledger. an oh, they retire this year. that is good for all of us. and this town's billionaire mayor, michael bloomberg will retire as well. and that is good because he somehow doesn't understand that government bans the sale of big cu of soda and he said this. >> we are not winning anything. we are just shut entrancing that we want to show you how big the
12:58 am
cup is. >> you're not showing us that, mr. mayor. government and thomas jefferson were right to show is that it ly grows. and we already must obey thousands of pages of rules. >> let's give everyone a big hand. [applaus >> is magician was told that he was in violation of the animal welfare act because he didn't have a disaster escape an for his rabbit. >> from now on come you cannot use your rabbit until you fill out papeork and pay the 40-dolr license fee and we willave to inspect your home. john: eisai these people thse things. >> but they don't laugh ever. it's beyond so you are on the naughty side of this. and actor vin song, from the nice side coming out in hollywood as a
12:59 am
libertarian. and also fighting for people's rights to sell mistletoe. >> if people want to work, let them work. >> and on my nice list, it is this guy, who wrote a wonderful book, no, they ca' in response to government clms that yes, we can do everything. and finally tonight, this was a surprise to me. but the speaker the house on my nice list. oh, yes, because he said this. >> we should not be judged on how many laws e create. we should be judged on how many laws we repeal. >> if they only would repeal something. and mwish for cistmas is that rorters stop whining about what the do-nothing cgress does for the least productive congress does. instead, celebrate thfact that politicians not passing more laws mean more freedom for santa and for the rest of you. and without freedom, we do good things outside politics.
1:00 am
that is my good and bad and ugly for 2014 and we ll see you next week ♪ ♪lililililian seven fishes for a feast. ma it a great day, everody. see you tomorrow. it seems like it's the gift that keeps on -- taking. with more cancellations pilin up the white house rolling out yet another obamacare fix. this one lets more people with cancelled policies sign up for a bare bones catastrophic plan. with a majority of people saying to repeal the law would that be the best gift for america right now? hi, this is "bulls & bears." let's get to it. here they are this week. gary b. sth, tracy rns, jonas ferris, johnlayfield and sasha burns. welcome to everybody. john. more than0 fixes so far. is it time to cut the losses and repeal obamacare? >> yeah. that's whatny

67 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on