Skip to main content

tv   Risk and Reward With Deidre Bolton  FOX Business  June 1, 2016 5:00pm-6:01pm EDT

5:00 pm
my husband gets two episodes ahead. it ruins it. >> we are celebrating our one-year anniversary today, one year ago today, fox business relaunched with a whole new lineup and melissa joined me for a brand-new "after the bell." thank you! we've been doing great. >> successful year. take it away. >> as you all are familiar with or whether it's their involvement on the part of the regime in syria or humanitarian issues, so that has not changed that. >> the obama administration says we showed up because our economy is falling arc part. i'm here to tell you we have our own reasons for coming. >> we will take a close look at his comments and have more to say about them once we do. deirdre: that was a clip from a press conference in 2013. it was a state department briefing on iran, and it was edited. this is "risk & reward," i'm deirdre bolton. taken out of the final version, a white house spokeswoman in
5:01 pm
2013 given credence to the idea that the government lied about when the nuclear talks began with iran. here is the missing piece of video where our very own james rosen asked the question. >> i have no new information for you today on the timing of whether there were any ussions officials. >> try it one last way, and i appreciate your indulgence. >> sure. >> is it the policy of the state department where the preservation of the secrecy of secret negotiation says concerned to lie in order to achieve that goal? >> james, i think there are times where diplomacy needs privacy in order to progress. this is a good example of that. deirdre: so that is a state department spokesperson, you see that tape from 2013. now the state department admitting that it did edit the video. here's the statement the state department made minutes ago.
5:02 pm
>> there was a deliberate request, that this wasn't a technical glitch. it was a deliberate request. we do not know who made the request to edit the video or why it was made. deirdre: from d.c., we get you there, peter barnes is standing by. peter, what is the latest with this admission? >> reporter: that this was not a glitch as previously stated by the state department, deirdre. in fact, was an intentional deletion of that exchange between james rosen and then state department spokesperson jen psaki. the state department's current spokesman john kirby saying as you just played out this was a deliberate request. it was not a glitch, fox news had discovered at one point when searching for this video on youtube that that exchange between james and jen psaki was missing from the youtube channel as well as the state department's official website.
5:03 pm
today john kirby saying a public affairs officials, an unnamed one requested the removal of that clip that same day of that briefing back in 2013. he said he didn't know who specifically asked or why, and went onto say that there are no rules or regulations in place that prohibited doing this but the deletion was not in keeping with the department's commitment to transparency, deirdre? deirdre: peter, thank you very much. essentially nothing wrong because there was no specific guideline saying you couldn't edit but the state department saying at some level we did not follow the spirit of the law while there was no true letter of the law. that's right? >> reporter: yeah, now there are these official records, rules and laws, the very same ones that have tripped up hillary clinton and her personal use of her private e-mail account and server and state department communications.
5:04 pm
this was a state department communication between a reporter and an official spokesperson, but -- and i understand there is a transcript that does include this exchange, and guess that suffices. deirdre: peter, thank you so much. peter barnes bringing us the very latest on the situation with the conversations, peter barnes joining us from d.c. well, with his take what this all means, we bring in fox news strategic analyst, retired lieutenant colonel ralph peters. colonel, glad to have you here, even if by phone, more glad. in the sense that we need your insight on this. what is your take? the state department is saying okay, we did edit, but that's not illegal, i want your point of view. >> it's not so. deleting government records, and that was a government record, is illegal. and i don't believe for a moment that they can't remember who requested that the tape be
5:05 pm
erased at the interview with james rosen. a brilliant reporter, that it was cleared from the record. deirdre: to what effect the deal has been done much to everyone's chagrin. but it's finished. the horse has left the barn, why the editing? >> because certainly under this administration, under secretary clinton and extended into kerry's tenure at state. a culture of secrecy and obfuscation. deirdre: and spinning, right? >> here's the thing, deirdre, let me break this into two parts, first of all, i don't have a problem with victoria newlin's official lie, there are times the government is conducting information so sensitive, we have to maintain secrecy. deirdre: in case people don't remember, she did say to james
5:06 pm
rosen, listen at times there are conversations the government has to have that do have to remain discreet and off the books. that's what you're saying, and fair play to the state department on that? >> right, and winston churchill said that in wartime, the truth is so precious that it has to be surrounded by a bodyguard of lies. deirdre: right. >> and so i don't fault the initially because that was just -- james put her on the spot because he's a great reporter and she had to do what she had to do. it's like watergate to benghazi, the subsequent unnecessary lies, the cover-up. jen psaki, in the subsequent interview months later after it came out they were negotiating with the iranians, all she had to say was yes, we did lie to you because it was a strategic requirement. we had to get this done. but instead, she weaseled and
5:07 pm
waffled and we know ben rhodes has been pushing lies all along, and so cynical. and the swamp of corruption it seems isn't the initial deed. it's the cover-up and the lies on top of lies on top of lies to try to cover people's tracks. deirdre: indeed, and the idea of framing, you mentioned of course deputy ben rhodes and the fact that it is very much out there that he was framing, and i think he called it an echo chamber where he was essentially leading the press to what he said they wanted to hear. >> yeah government lies come in a lot of different flavors, and lies should be used very, very sparingly, only in case of absolute strategic necessity. but ben rhodes and it seems the state department representatives weren't lying from strategic necessity after that initially. they were lying for political advantage, and that is wrong. deirdre: framing the conversation quote, unquote framing where we talked about
5:08 pm
it as spinning, but colonel, there's the moment where a reporter pressed the state department, this happened today, for a better reason, for the edits. this is the conversation that ensued. i want to ask you for your take after. here it is. >> just because there's no rule on certain things -- and you said from the podium, there was no rule on secretary clinton not using e-mails but it was the wrong thing to do. >> and as i said, i don't find this the appropriate step to be taken either. the individual who took the call doesn't remember anything more than that it was passed on from somebody else in the public affairs bureau. my focus has to be making sure that going forward we can prevent this from happening again. deirdre: so colonel, is she right? it seems like a fair question, in the sense of should the administration, any administration, have a better reason than we can't remember who requested the edits and we don't exactly remember why.
5:09 pm
>> again, i've got to stress i don't believe that. you do it -- nobody in the state department charge of records of any kind is going to respond to a phone call and say okay, you want to delete the record? sure, i'll do that. they would want to know who ordered it. not just some low-level flunky. again, this culture of deceit and lies that prevails in this administration is just wrong. the reporter was absolutely right. even if it's not written on paper where it says thou shalt not kill. you just don't do it. deirdre: at the very, very least it's extraordinarily bad optic. fox news strategic analyst lieutenant colonel ralph peters, appreciate your time, sir? >> thank you. deirdre: two male adults are dead after a shooting on ucla campus in a murder-suicide. authorities say the campus appears sneef at about 10:00
5:10 pm
this morning, a homicide and a suicide occurred in the engineering facility. it appears it is entirely contained. we believe there are no suspects outstanding and no continuing threat to ucla's campus. deirdre: with me now, rod wheeler, former d.c. homicide officer. rod, thanks for the time. there was a huge and immediate police presence. we heard from authorities do not read into, it but the response had numerous teams involved, and i'm assuming this is precautionary especially after what happened in san bernardino. >> that's right, deirdre, a massive police response this morning, and not only was the massive campus of ucla placed on lockdown, but you know a number of streets surrounding the university was also placed on lockdown, and the police responded mainly the way they did because they didn't know whether they had one shooter, two shooters or three shooters.
5:11 pm
let me tell you the police chief said in a press conference they received multiple calls of active shooter on the campus. the way law enforcement responds to the situation these days, better to send as many officers as you can and if you need to release officers can you do that once you find out what's going on. the initial response is massive. this response today to let the viewers know not only included ucla police, los angeles police but also federal agencies, deirdre. the fbi responded. atf responded, that's the massive response we will have going forward. we learned a lot in a horror way with the situation in the past. that's why you see the response today. deirdre: quickly, authorities putting out the bulletin, alerts, students seemed ready, live barricading tactics during the lockdown. we have learned a lot. do you know any more incidentally about this particular case?
5:12 pm
>> the only thing we know so far, the police have not identified either the victim or the suspect but are saying this is domestic related. one little piece of information they did learn is that one of the victims was described as an older gentleman, possibly a professor, and the shooter possibly a younger gentleman, probably a student. the case is heavily being investigated, deirdre. deirdre: rod, thank you, as always. former d.c. homicide officer. glad for the time, rod. to domestic politics, hillary clinton scheduled to make a major foreign policy speech in san diego tomorrow. she plans to make a case against donald trump presidency. so her campaign hoping to win over national security-minded republicans, some independents. who would vote for her even grudgeingly rather than see donald trump in the white house? trump foreign adviser walid phares is with me now. based on what you know could a
5:13 pm
national security-minded republican, whoever you think of that matches that description, vote for hillary even grudgeingly rather than donald trump? >> the only exception would be if the national security republicans who are, of course, in the business of understanding foreign policy would do so regardless of her argument because they disagree with mr. trump, and that's a very small segment of that population, that democracy. what secretary clinton will try to do tomorrow is to convince the majority of those who have not yet decided that mr. trump will be as he will be make the case for, dangerous, in the sense that his statements will trigger out of the various regions in the world including the middle east and asia, reaction that are against our national security, and to which mr. trump of course will be responding later. >> i was going to say what will be the response because hillary clinton will, if goes as planned, as our campaign said
5:14 pm
focus on ideas, what she considers to be leadership credentials and talk about trump as a loose cannon? >> it's going to be basically words in her speeches on the one hand, contrasted with libya burning, syria burning, iraq in full disaster situation and north korea out of control. the reset button not working in russia and russia all over the place, so you're going to have statements by secretary clinton that mr. trump doesn't know much about foreign policy and the background of the whole world collapsing under her and mr. obama's administration. deirdre: so do you think donald trump, walid, will say why is hillary making the comments because benghazi and the decisions she made during the crisis continue to haunt her on the campaign trail? >> of course, you have the big issue that is very public for us here in america in terms of benghazi, but you have other issues as well, the ones i have mentioned and, of course, the policy she suggested in syria.
5:15 pm
syria has close to 400,000 people killed and, of course, the rise of isis in iraq and the policy of the administration which she was part of, abrupt withdrawal from iraq without ensuring we have somebody on the ground who is our ally. plus the iran deal. there is so much material the trump campaign can use in the rebuttal. deirdre: we know it's going to be a busy few days up until california, walid phares, thank you for your time. trump foreign policy adviser. the markets eked out gains, you will see green on the screens but ever so slightly, the nasdaq up the last six days. longest winning streak in 15 months. most notably amazon hitting a lifetime high for a second day in a row, fifth record so far this year. caught on tape, video of a driver who appears to snooze at the wheel of his tesla while the car drives itself on an
5:16 pm
l.a. highway. we'll bring you all the details. and the first sworn testimony from hillary clinton's inner circle. we'll bring you the details from the testimony of cheryl mills and one of the guys inside the room is going to tell us how it all went down. >> i fully complied with every rule they was governed by. [beekeeper] from bees to business expenses,
5:17 pm
i'm in charge of it all. so i've been snapping photos of my receipts and keeping track of them in quickbooks. now i'm on top of my expenses, and my bees. best 68,000 employees ever. that's how we own it.
5:18 pm
5:19 pm
by switching to xfinity x1. rio olympic games show me gymnastics. x1 lets you search by sport, watch nbc's highlights and catch every live event on your tv with nbc sports live extra. i'm getting ready. are you? x1 will change the way you experience nbcuniversal's coverage of the rio olympic games. call or go online today to switch to x1. . deirdre: there are new developments in hillary clinton's e-mail investigation, during a five-hour deposition last week, former top aide cheryl mills testified that clinton's personal e-mails to people outside the state department were not available for requests under the freedom of information act. according to transcripts, the attorney asked, quote, did it
5:20 pm
ever occur to you when, from 2009-2013, before you left, that communication between the secretary, and let's say you, to your personal e-mail accounts that related to state business that those actually weren't available to the government or to the state department to respond to freedom of information act requests? mills responded, quote, i wish it had, but no is the answer. mills' deposition came in a freedom of information act lawsuit brought by the conservative watchdog group judicial watch. with me now is an attorney from the group, michael pakesha. what is your take away from the deposition? does it imply that hillary clinton leaked federal record law keeping or broke federal record keeping law? >> we still don't know. that's the big question right now is who knew what, when,
5:21 pm
where and why? right now we know ms. mills says she never thought about the issues at all. we believe mrs. clinton knew well what they were doing when they were doing it. this is one of the pieces of the puzzle we're putting together. our investigation continues and we have six more witnesses we're going to depose over the next month. ms. mills' attorney didn't want her answering questions, when she did answer questions, ms. mills kept saying she didn't remember, she didn't recollect what was going on and she hadn't thought about it. more questions were raised. deirdre: more questions were raised. okay. you were in the room, and according to the deposition, hillary clinton used her nonsecure blackberry to send and receive e-mails on her personal account. here's how this question went, you know this, you were there, for everybody else, was
5:22 pm
secretary clinton ever issued a blackberry from the state department so she could e-mail? and mills responded not to my knowledge. the attorney asked okay were you? and mills said yes. so mills had a state department blackberry but hillary clinton didn't? >> that's correct, everybody else in the state department, in the office of the secretary had a blackberry except for mrs. clinton. what we learned from a high-level state department employee that we deposed the week before, we learned that the reason mrs. clinton didn't have a blackberry is because she didn't ask for one. no other state department employee had to ask for a blackberry, the rules were different for her. deirdre: okay, also learnid and heard your point, michael that hillary clinton had an office set up across the hall from her own office where she used her nonsecure blackberry outside of a secure zone. what does that information say?
5:23 pm
>> what that says is that mrs. clinton went out of her way to conduct official government business on her personal blackberry. the state department was willing to set up a computer on her desk so she could access her e-mail while she was in her office. she decided, for whatever reason, we were told it was because she didn't know how to use computer systems, that she wanted to use her blackberry. so she had to get up off her chair, from her desk and go to another office to send and receive e-mail. and you know, we also had other testimony saying she would pace in the hallways, walk in the hallways outside of her office so she could use her blackberry. deirdre: michael, thank you very much. glad you were in the room and joined us to tell us about it. >> thank you for having me. deirdre: judicial watch attorney. there is a supreme court delivering a huge blow to the epa's ability to control private property. the man who helped defend a small business against epa overreach will join me after this.
5:24 pm
5:25 pm
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
. deirdre: a huge win for land owners. yesterday at the supreme court, the justices ruled property owners can challenge restrictions under the epa's clean water act. so the company involved in the suit was prohibited from harvesting on their own property because it was deemed to be under federal control. justice anthony kennedy concurring with justice thomas and justice alito said the court statement the law continues to raise troubling questions regarding the government's power to cast doubt on the full use and join in a private property throughout the nation. with me an attorney from the pacific legal foundation which won the case. welcome, todd. can you put in the part that you are most proud of other than the win in this case?
5:28 pm
>> well, the supreme court logically held that when the government says your property is subject to federal regulation and you can't use it without suffering criminal penalties, you can go to court. that is what the government was trying to dispute. the government said you can only go to court after years and years more and they bankrupted you, but the supreme court unanimously ruled in favor of our clients and said that, no, the agencies aren't above the law and you can go to court and have someone rule in your case. deirdre: so essentially, it's your land, and as long as you are not hurting anything, you can do what you want on it? >> well, it's a bit more complicated because the clean water act does regulate certain types of navigable waters or discharges in it, so you might be subject to regulation. question is when the agency
5:29 pm
issues what it calls a final jurisdictional ruling, you can go to court if you think they're wrong? we think they're wrong. we're pretty sure they're wrong, so we have the right and millions of property owners are in the same position. millions of american property owners don't know whether they can continue to farm or build an addition on their house or any other number of things on their property, and the process that the epa or army corps of engineers which is the federal agency in this case want to put you through sometime takes years and years and years and still will be long, but at the end of the day, you can go to court. and as you read from the justices, the second most important thing is that we think, and some of the justices agree that the scope of the regulatory power of the federal government is asserting is unconstitutional questionable.
5:30 pm
deirdre: so you're saying this case sets a really important precedent is going to affect a lot of land owners out there, and essentially you have stuck up for people versus the government. we congratulate you on your win, todd. thanks for sharing it with us. todd gaziano, attorney from the pacific legal foundation. oil settling around $49 a barrel. we're going to tell you more about trade as summer inches closer. gas prices rising, increasing 11 cents in just the last month to have current prices around $2.32 per gallon for regular. katie couric issuing apology for misleading editing, her term, in the gun documentary. the man interviewed by her and leaked the real audio track is here on whether or not he accepts the apology. also, now bryant gumbel accused of deceptive editing tricks in an anti-gun piece.
5:31 pm
we're going to give you all the details. then we asked some older people when they actually did start saving. this gap between when we should start saving and when we actually do is one of the reasons why too many of us aren't prepared for retirement. just start as early as you can. it's going to pay off in the future. if we all start saving a little more today, we'll all be better prepared tomorrow. prudential. bring your challenges. and intellectual propertylines about bubeing stolen.g hacked that is cyber-crime. and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to fight cyber-crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information so we can track down the criminals. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer.
5:32 pm
with toothpaste or plain water.an their dentures and even though their dentures look clean, in reality they're not. if a denture were to be put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists on the denture, and that bacteria multiplies very rapidly. that's why dentists recommend cleaning with polident everyday. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
5:33 pm
5:34 pm
. >> the katie couric piece is not that unusual. i'll be honest, i've given interviews and said wait a minute, they're not covering me that way. best thing you can do is put down a tape recorder next to you. the press is really dishonest, okay? i don't mean everybody, but a big portion of them, especially the political press, they're the most dishonest people. they're bad people.
5:35 pm
deirdre: donald trump criticizing news anchor and executive producer katie couric and the press. so couric apologized for misleading edits on her anti-gun documentary. her statement -- with me now, philip van cleave, he was interviewed in the film. he is also the person who released the unedited audio version, he joined me on this show last week to talk about his reaction to that edit. that eight-second pause that was added. philip, welcome back to the program. what is your reaction to
5:36 pm
couric's apology? >> well, first of all, it wasn't a beat, it was a drumroll for quite a while and she never gave the answer, it wasn't a pause and the answer, it was a pause and that was it. deirdre: in her apology, she says and i'm going to quote her, i went back, i reviewed and agreed that the eight seconds do not accurately represent their response. so i would say at least in the apology, she's being precise. >> yes, however, the other thing to keep in mind, nowhere in the apology did she say she's going to fix the problem. they're going to continue to distribute a film knowing that it's got -- something in there that is wrong, that's false, that falsely represents our organization and the members in it, and they put some little -- hidden on a web page somewhere. deirdre: like a small disclaimer. >> you won't know that unless you rent the movie, unless you are watching fox today and the written press, abc, nbc, cbs,
5:37 pm
they're not covering this, you won't know. she's not fixing it. that's a major problem. number two, she gave a transcript. rather than put the four minutes of audio that would accurately represent what was said, she tossed that aside and put in a transcript which is something people are less likely to read along and cut the transcript off. it doesn't have the four minutes. it stops at one minute, right when a question asks it sounds student, if you take it out of context, or a statement that sounds stupid if you take it out of context. she cut it out there. web pages could be huge, she didn't do it. deirdre: i'm curious, have you heard directly from her team? i know you reached out. >> no, not a peep. they are just silent. for an apology, you would think she'd reach out to the very people she was doing this to. deirdre: that's why i was curious. thank heavens for the press, i hadn't had known about it.
5:38 pm
deirdre: well, you were wise enough to record it, have your own version, it is much easier to show the difference than to talk about it. i want to ask you as well about bryant gumbel accused of deceptive edits as well in an anticipate g-- anti-gun show on hbo. here is a quick clip. >> millions of ar-15's sold in recent years primarily to people who want to have them to hunt or compete in target shooting. ar-15's have played an ugly role in the mass shootings that are common place throughout the country. >> the lethality of the ar-15, is that reduced in the semiautomatic mode? >> no, it's not. it's the same. >> the same? >> the gun is functioning exactly the way the military model is in semiautomatic. deirdre: sullivan saying they
5:39 pm
omitted the part when he said, quote, when firing semiautomatic only, and that the automatic fire of the military version is more deadly than the commercial version. so hbo is responding with a statement that says real sports fairly and accurately represented mr. sullivan's interview in our reports. mr. sullivan said they omitted key parts of the civilian ar-15 as compared to the fully automatic military version, that claim is untrue. what is your take on, this philip? >> look, i have some ar-15's, i know about the subject. there is a huge difference between a fully automatic m-16 which our military carries and semiautomatic ar-15 that citizens have. the gun is similar to one they've been hunting animals with for 60 years. in fact, the rounds that go in there were developed from those used to shoot groundhogs.
5:40 pm
it's not a super high-powered rifle, it's a mid powered rifle. you wouldn't know that about the press, they don't check into this stuff. that was important they cut out the part about it being fully oochlt it's a massive difference when you see the two being shot side-by-side. deirdre: philip van cleave with me there, president of the virginia citizens defense league. caught on tape, video of a driver who appears to snooze at the wheel of his tesla while a car drives itself on a los angeles highway. market guru marc faber says the u.s. stock market is in a bubble. his advice for your investments next.. >> anyone claiming that america's economy is in decline is peddling fiction.
5:41 pm
5:42 pm
5:43 pm
. deirdre: lots of investors are concern about global growth,
5:44 pm
wilbur ross said it would be a mad house if the u.k. pulled out of the european union. >> to me, the biggest worry coming up near-term is the brexit, the potential for the u.k. pulling out. that would really be a mad house if it happened. and what's strange about it, in scotland it was the young people who wanted to break away from u.k., young people, idealists and patriotic and all that, and u.k. it's the reverse, it's the old people who want to pull out and the young people know there will be a half a million or so unemployed people if they break out. deirdre: with me the publisher of the gloom, doom and boom reports marc faber, welcome. >> thank you for having me. deirdre: a lot going on in the world, first and foremost, do you agree with wilbur ross, and
5:45 pm
the larger context, the fragility of investing in europe? >> i completely disagree. deirdre: oh, good. >> the brexit would be the best that could happen to britain and to europe because it would give the incentive of other countries to also leave the eu, which is a horrible and badly and anti-democratically run institution without any proper controls. deirdre: so marc, you don't think, then, that would set off this cascade of dominos which would destabilize europe and destabilize the u.s. markets as well? >> it would set up a cascade of positive dominos for the whole world because small countries function better than big countries. we've seen that with denmark, sweden, finland, switzerland, and many others including hong kong, singapore. and the best that could happen
5:46 pm
to the u.k. would be to exit the eu. deirdre: but marc, when you look at europe as a region, germany is all but holding that whole system together, manufacturing strength, other strength, you don't see that as the weaker player there, spain, portugal, italy, greece, that they would suffer, not be able to survive with germany propping them up? >> i wonder how much more they would suffer by not being a member of the eu? having suffered so badly. by being a member of the eu, so my sense is that the establishment, the elite that benefits from the eu and the handouts that eu provides. they don't want a brexit under no condition. they didn't want exit of greece which would have been much
5:47 pm
better than greece than keeping greece in the eu. so there is this anti-split sentiment of some people who want to keep the eu at all costs. deirdre: marc, what does this mean in the context of investing in the u.s.? you said the u.s. stock market is in a bubble. europe does look shaky to a lot of investors. china has begun to slow. there are people who want to invest in the u.s., not because the u.s. looks great but it looks safe. >> yes, it may look better, but we have to look very closely at. first of all, the valuations in the u.s. are very high, if you measure price to sales of the s&p or the median p/e of the s&p or the shiller p/e of the s&p, price-to-book and so on, number two, my sense is they are much better values than overseas. not all emerging economies can
5:48 pm
be thrown into the same basket. some actually are improving, some are worsening, and some devaluations are quite reasonable. so i say for the investor who has patience, now is a much better opportunity to invest in europe and emerging economies than say in the u.s., and as i mentioned on your program many times before, even in the u.s., there are some sectors that are very expensive and other sectors that are coming up now that look very attractive. deirdre: gold. >> gold, and the precious metals they bottomed out last fall, and many of these gold shares are up between 100 and 300% from the lows. the energy sector has most likely bottomed out. i'm not saying they will all go up in the straight line but these are sectors that for the longer term investor are relatively attractive. deirdre: you gave us two good
5:49 pm
ideas, we'll take them. gold and energy, marc, come back soon. >> and energy-related stocks, oil-servicing stocks are quite attractive. deirdre: gold, energy, energy-related, thank you, sir? >> thank you very much. good-bye. deirdre: marc faber, publisher of gloom doom and boom report. tesla driver asleep at the wheel caught on tape. a driver snoozing while the car drives itself on an l.a. highway. my power panel will be with me next. ♪
5:50 pm
amazing sleep stays with you all day
5:51 pm
and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. it's the semi-annual sale! save $500 on the memorial day special edition mattress with sleepiq technology. know better sleep. only at a sleep number store.
5:52 pm
y. deirdre: caught on camera, the driver of this tesla appears to be very relaxed. so we cannot confirm if he's sleeping or not.
5:53 pm
but we should mention for the tesla, the feature has 13 sensors, steer, change lanes, avoid barriers and park the cars unassisted. with me now, my power panel, "national review" reporter kat timf, harlen hill. what do you think? if it's snack time or nap time, a good idea to put yourself on an l.a. highway. >> well, for me, the car doing its best though it's not meant for that would be better than me driving. deirdre: why? because you are a city dweller for years and years. >> i drove in l.a. and crashed a lot. i know it's hard. that's why i don't drive, maybe this is more of an east coast dude. that's not very safe. you can't sleep behind the wheel, you also can't fall asleep on public transit, though. deirdre: here the idea, the cars have the gadgets and siri,
5:54 pm
artificial intelligence that will get stronger to make decisions when you hit a tree or make a decision towards a tree. >> who's liable if he's in a wreck? >> he is. >> i would hope so. i wonder if we have the fundamental question about who's really at fault if the car is totally in control. deirdre: what is your take you? see it from a legal point of view? lifestyle point of view, what's your thought? >> as soon as i heard about the self-driving cars, i thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. the technology is not there yet. last wednesday, you had a tesla hit the back of a van, and the driver didn't step on the brakes because he thought the car was going to do it itself. and it didn't. deirdre: we train people to be worse drivers than they would be. >> these cars are much safer than humans. so many human-caused accidents. deirdre: right, drunk driving. >> as a percentage of the overall accidents, it's low. >> doesn't it remind you of the nightmare, this might be too personal.
5:55 pm
you have a nightmare where you try and drive the car, and you can't, it's not listening to you. i don't know. deirdre: but here's another video, car related, that popped up. this is essentially road rage, which you understand if you drove in l.a., shows a vehicle driving over a veteran's motorcycle, and it is suspected road rage incident. so there is a difference, right, between doing something to hurt somebody on purpose, and trusting technology that maybe is still too green. >> they're both irresponsible, you're not supposed to fall asleep the the wheel, i don't think if i were told i wasn't supposed to fall asleep at the wheel they would be able to fall asleep at the wheel, i wouldn't be able to be that relaxed because i was like maybe i'll die. deirdre: a fair point, right? >> i think if the automatic cars become more common, everyone is going to start falling asleep at the wheel. i can imagine -- deirdre: or doing stupid things, people text as
5:56 pm
>> or having drinks and stuff. >> having a drink in the back of the car. >> they'll get relaxed because people assume this technology is 100% idiot proof but it's not. deirdre: harlen would you buy if it's a car promised to do everything for you, would you buy it? >> i would only do it if everybody has autonomous cars, if everybody is relying on them, fine. deirdre: if everybody is in the same ship of fools, great. great to see you, kat, harlen, kristen, thank you very much. more on the markets in just a minute. i have asthma... ...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems.
5:57 pm
breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine >> like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com.
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
6:00 pm
deirdre: take a look at how markets closed today. you can see green on your screen. it's the longest running green streak in months. one standout stock, amazon hitting a life-time high so far. it's fifth -- its fifth this year. "making money" is next. judge napolitano: i'm judge andrew napolitano in for charles payne. you are watching "making money." a deposition from hillary clinton's assistant. federal prosecutors have filed suit to seize the life insurance policies of the san bernardino shooters.

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on