Skip to main content

tv   After the Bell  FOX Business  May 29, 2019 4:00pm-5:00pm EDT

4:00 pm
bell. dryden, thank you for your service to this country. day after memorial day, i'm glad to see you here. >> glad to be here. [closing bell rings] liz: markets making a 200-point turnaround. we're still down 197. shows how far the bulls were able to drag it back. that will do it for "the claman countdown." melissa: robert mueller making the first comments on the russia investigation since the probe began two years. the special counsel standing by itself saying it speaks for itself. he will not provide congress with any information that isn't already public in the report. the white house says it is time to move on. democrats on capitol hill are vowing to take action. i'm melissa francis. connell: i'm connell mcshane. then we started coming back, the dow only down 223. we say only, because it was down more than 400 in the middle of the day.
4:01 pm
s&p 500 and nasdaq closing in the red today, hitting two month lows. we have a lot to talk about. team coverage of it all, gerri willis on floor of new york stock exchange. blake burman is at the white house. let's start with edward lawrence at the justice department following the appearance by robert mueller. reporter: connell now, former special counsel robert mueller laid out how the russians tried to manipulate our elections during the 2016 elections. he also went through why he charged so many people with lying to federal investigators. saying this kind of investigation is vital, that you have truthful, accurate information. he then said in no uncertain terms there was no collusion by anyone in the administration with russians. mueller was close cleared about obstruction. if he was confident that president did not commit a crime he would have said so but department of justice policy prevented him from looking into a crime.
4:02 pm
>> longstanding department policy, a president cannot be charged with a federal crime while he is in office. that is unconstitutional. even if the charge is kept under seal and hidden from public view, that too is prohibited. reporter: and he says that he does not question the attorney general's good faith. attorney general william barr. he there was no obstruction of justice by the president or anyone in his campaign during the 2016 election or afterwards during the investigation. now because of the justice department opinion mueller said he is now kicked the can to congress. >> first the opinion explicitly permit the investigation of a sitting president because it is important to preserve evidence while memories are fresh and documents available. and second the opinion says that the constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of
4:03 pm
wrongdoing. reporter: mueller says he has no plans to publicly talk about the report again. he says he has no plans to testify in front of congress. he is letting the report stand for itself. connell? connell: all right, edward. melissa: blake burman with reaction from the white house now. blake. reporter: melissa, you remember when the mueller report was initially released last month the argument the white house was making at that time it showed there was no collusion and no obstruction. today the white house is tweaking that argument as they are now saying after we all heard from robert mueller earlier today, mueller has since proved there was no collusion and to conspiracy and that it is the attorney general bill barr who has taken it from there to say that there was also no obstruction. the president's legal team trying to make that distinction as well as jay sekulow said in a statement today, quote, the attorney general conclusively determined there was no obstruction by the president. in the words of attorney general barr the report identifies no actions that in our judgment constitute obstructive conduct.
4:04 pm
but democrats long felt that the attorney general has been protecting the president, had been watering down mueller's findings. i asked press secretary sarah sanders why they will trust a political appointee when it comes to determining obstruction. >> we're not asking you to. robert mueller did 400 pages. the attorney general made his decision based on mueller's information. everybody keeps forgetting that. the entire decision about obstruction was based on mueller's report. reporter: after mueller's statement today, 30 minutes later the president sent out this initial reaction saying quote, nothing changes from the mueller report. there was insufficient evidence and therefore in our country a person is innocent. the case is closed. thank you. a couple different points on that. sarah sanders was asked whether or not insufficient evidence actually amounts to be innocent, if someone is innocent if there is insufficient evidence. whether or not that the is the
4:05 pm
barr. she said the barr was set by exhaust sieve two year long investigation. the president tweeted the case is closed. that is part of the white house's argument saying this went on for two years. robert mueller closed up shop, in their estimation everyone should move on. melissa, connell. >> all right, blake. connell: gerri willis next at the new york stock exchange to see what the traders are saying about this. reporter: connell we traded down 182 points on the dow on mueller's comments. the dow traded lower on trade fears, by the time mueller spoke the dow started trading even lower. the dow at lowest level in three months at 25,126. i was curious, what would impeachment mean for the markets, the dems interpretation of mueller's comments, it opens the door to impeachment. what would it me for stocks? i asked john corpina, he had this to say. listen.
4:06 pm
>> that is something that market would not be able to sustain. i mean something like that would take a long time. would take a lot of tile and effort and a lot of attention. i think our shift, our attention would be so shifted to that, would get away from the basic fundamentals of our economy and our markets. reporter: trader talk now focused on impeachment headlines as we mentioned before. also trade. that is the thing driving markets for weeks now. there is no let-up in that as well. we see new industry, new companies every single day have some sort of an issue because china and u.s. cannot resolve the tray issues. of the g20 meeting in june. more pressure every day, more ice on that. concerning it doesn't happen, can anything get done? we don't know. i will look at dow laggards today, a range of stocks here. j&j, johnson & johnson down 4%. the second day of oklahoma trial for j&j.
4:07 pm
that they fueled the opioid epidemic that is what they're exploring. nike down, shoo-in industry, apparel, worries on trade with china. boeing today, the ceo meeting with investors at a conference. he did not give the details investors wanted to see on the 737 max jet. that stock down 2% a tough down here as we focus on politics and trade. real worries about the impact of impeachment on stocks down here. connell, back to you. connell: gerri, thank you. >> here is react jonathan hoenig from capitalist pig hedge fund and gary b. smith, kadena group president. jonathan, i call with you, i call baloney that the market is afraid of impeachment. even if the house went ahead and had impeachment hearings, even if it succeeded it wouldn't pass the senate. it is not a real threat to stocks what do you think? >> melissa i don't know if the market is afraid of impeachment but i think the market is
4:08 pm
afraid. look at the breadth today. 400 new 52-week lows. only about 30 new 52-week highs. a lot of week market action out there. alcoa, bank of new york, deutsche bank, gap, a lot of retail, even banking sectors trading sharply lower. you never know why a market is moving just how a market is moving. whether it is impeachment, trade, any areas gerri outlined this is very weak market and very weak tape. melissa: gary? >> i agree with jonathan. i agree with your one point, baloney the markets are afraid of impeachment. they're not afraid of impeachment, they're afraid of headlines, constant drip of bad news. kind of like the trade war. when you take a step back effect of tariffs on two economies close to $20 trillion is very small but it is the drip, drip of the negative headlines. seeing this every day, puts fear
4:09 pm
into traders and investors. wait a second. as jonathan alludes to, maybe there is something wrong out there. you throw in other things. of the trade war we saw brexit. that the eu is struggling with. we have things like housing seems to come to a standstill. there is a lot on the plate. this talk of impeachment certainly won't help. melissa: it is media's fault. connell: always the media's fault. >> exactly. connell: can all agree on that. with washington-beijing continuing back and forth on trade, what looks to be a prolonged trade war possibly, secretary of state mike pompeo pointing out the danger of working with the chinese telecom giant huawei. here is what he said to our own maria bartiromo earlier in the day today. >> huawei is an instrument of the chinese government. they're deeply connected. it is something that is hard for americans to understand. connell: that move, jonathan, we talked about last week, moves it beyond simple trade and tariffs
4:10 pm
back and forth, that kind of talk about a big company like huawei. maybe into something bigger. what do you take away from that? >> well, look, chinese government is heavily invested in many large chinese companies but you know, to consider huawei an instrument of the chinese government taking trade, starts using it as a weapon for this country. the president also called imported automobiles as a national security threat. so this ramps up the pressure as gary alluded to as trade is really a front and anti-er issue, day after day we don't know what the president will tweet about or what area moves into potential tariffs and potential interruption. one reason chinese stocks have been so weak in particular of late. connell: meantime huawei is taking their own case to the u.s. justice system into the courts, trying to get some of these restrictions taken away. how do you see all this playing out? >> here's the problem. their claim will be look, we're
4:11 pm
a private company just like many other companies. connell: right. >> we're not state-sponsored even though pompeo might say that. i don't know i'm sure there is something working but claim many companies in the u.s. are, you know, indirectly sponsored. we give a lot of tax breaks to the boeings and car manufacturers things like that. the other big problem is this. huawei is the worldwide leader in 5g. recently in the netherlands they outbid erickson who is also a big player in that by almost 40% on a contract. so do you make the claim, well this is a security risk? absolutely. do you give up the competitive advantage of having a low-cost provider in 5g? connell: that is the tradeoff. >> perhaps. connell: you know that going in. understand that could be a tradeoff. jonathan, gary, as always good to see you both. >> you bet. melissa: robert mueller's rare public comments triggering calls from democrats to impeach the president. we're live on capitol hill with all the explosive details.
4:12 pm
connell: focusing on the key rust belt state for clues in terms of how the 2020 election will play out. we're speaking with the ohio gop chair and president trump's pollster about what issues are resonating the most with voters. melissa: tragedy across the nation. tornadoes tearing homes completely apart. we are bringing you to some of the hardest hit areas in the country. that is coming up.
4:13 pm
you wouldn't accept an incomplete job from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase sensimist relieves all your worst symptoms, including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
4:14 pm
you can barely feel. hey, who are you? oh, hey jeff, i'm a car thief... what?! i'm here to steal your car because, well, that's my job. what? what?? what?! (laughing) what?? what?! what?! [crash] what?! haha, it happens. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, paying for this could feel like getting robbed twice. so get allstate... and be better protected from mayhem... like me. ♪
4:15 pm
4:16 pm
>> i am gravely disappointed in the justice department for their attitude, their misrepresentation of the mueller report to begin with, their hiding behind something that you could never find in the constitution, that the president is above the law, and their misrepresentations even under oath by the attorney general to the congress of the united states. melissa: you know what is happening? nancy pelosi making no official announcement about whether or not the house will begin impeachment proceedings, following comment from robert mueller earlier today. chad pergram, fox news senior capitol producer is here with the latest. chad, anytime anybody steps up to the mic we think we'll have more resolution. instead it is just that many more questions and everybody is that much more unhappy.
4:17 pm
>> that's right. congress is out of session this week. had members been here that would have amped up a lot of democrats even more and reporters like me chasing folks in the hallways where do you stand on this issue? probably helps nancy pelosi and democrats not to have to confront that directly. i want to give you a little bit of history. keep in mind what happened in the 1970s with richard nixon. the "saturday night massacre" in the fall of 1973 to get the house judiciary committee to open up impeachment. there had been efforts predating the watergate burglary to try to impeach president nixon. it actually worked out in that instance in the democrats favor, had they moved too early, they probably wouldn't have been able to come back to try to move the articles of impeachment through the judiciary committee. let me be clear president nixon was never impeached on the house floor. what happens? this buys them time. if you look at history, let that be your guide. throughout the early part of 1973 the democrats in the house of representatives with their
4:18 pm
impeachment inquiry were able to engineer a drumbeat which ultimately resulted in president nixon resigning in august of 1974, melissa. melissa: chad, we are nowhere near that comparison whatsoever. i mean there is just, for those in the audience might be hopeful for a president trump impeachment, it has no hope of getting through the senate. >> that something is one of the reasons why nancy pelosi is very reluctant to go down that road. in some of her remarks she wanted to have an ironclad case to the make to the senate. she said things like that before. she is not. there why jerry nadler, was kind of wishy-washy, we're leaving impeachment door open. he was asked about issuing a subpoena asking robert mueller to testify. left that door open. democrats are trying to have it both ways. they are mindful, this is the risk if they do go down that road and how nancy pelosi has to finesse this, this will be
4:19 pm
all-consuming, they won't deal with anything else. the polling data right now shows it is pretty bad for democrats if they continue to investigate towards impeachment. melissa: chad, just to be clear, the revelation that democrats are seizing upon this idea that they think there is obstruction when there was an investigation into a crime that wasn't found. so he was resisting being investigated on colluding with russia but he wasn't found to have colluded with russia. that is essentially the thing that they would try and take for impeachment? they haven't been really able to sort of put into words what exactly the impeachment would be based on. is that what you think it would be? >> that's why if they were to launch an impeachment inquiry, democrats the burp would -- burden of proof would be on them to make that case. the in the '70s, over the period of early 1973, 1974 eventually were able to make that case.
4:20 pm
melissa: but they had a break-in. >> exactly. here is the other thing, keep in time how much gone through from '72 to break-in happened until '74. at end of the day this is political question. this is why alexander hamilton writing what is impeachable offense, he said from the misconduct of men, in other words when the violation of some public trust. that is really the bar for impeachment, as he laid out in "the federalist papers." that is a political question. that is something that democrats, if they want to pursue that will have to answer and they will have to have an ironclad case. >> other side would say continued investigation of something that didn't made someone very cranky and that is why they were not cooperative. but i see what you're saying, chad. thank you. >> thank you as always. connell: follow up with one robert mueller himself had to say about the possibility that the president may have committed crimes. here is what he said. >> if we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.
4:21 pm
we didn't not however make a determination whether the president did commit a crime. connell: robert driscoll joins with us former justice department official with his analysis of the day's events. democrats are going to, some are already have, jump on those statements from robert mueller, okay, this is enough for to us move forward with impeachment proceedings. as chad alludes to that would be a political question. what do you make of their arguments? >> i think this is pretty thin. there was nothing new today. bob mueller read or quoted parts of the report essentially. >> right. >> what he said is what he said all along which is he wasn't looking at a question whether or not you could indict the president because he was bound by the loc opinion. he didn't do the analysis and lays out facts. connell: can i ask you about that opinion because a lot has come up about the office of legal counsel opinion, guidelines in the justice
4:22 pm
department, whether you can indict a sitting president. people pointing back to comments that bill barr, the attorney general made back in april. he said he and rod rosenstein, the deputy attorney general talked to mueller. i believe they spoke to him according to barr in march. they said, would you have made obstruction a crime if it wasn't for this opinion? and they, barr said, that mueller said several times, no, no. that was not his position. but today essentially didn't he say it was his position? that seems to be the key difference between the two men which is striking to some. >> i don't think there is much daylight between the two of then. that is a little bit technical. mueller didn't do the analysis. if it were a clear-cut case under no circumstance this would constitute a crime. i couldn't say so. because i couldn't indict at the end of the day i didn't undertake analysis whether or not we would charge it. he is not in a position to say well i would have charged it but for this. connell: okay. >> didn't even do the analysis.
4:23 pm
when he sent those facts up to the attorney general, the attorney general did his own analysis and said there is insufficient evidence for obstruction. and we're not going to charge. it is consistent, i don't think either one of them is lying. i think they're credible high character guys. it is ridiculous to assume either one would lie about the conversation. i think it is consistent, i understand why it is awkward for people now to figure out what it means. connell: especially those of us who are not lawyers figuring out how lawyers speak in these types of situations to try to understand is definitely part of it. what do you say to this political argument, democrats, already have made, undoubtedly will make further in the coming days and weeks which is to say, hey, listen, i have read the entire mueller report, if donald trump wasn't the president of the united states he would have been charged with a crime, so it is up to us in the congress to say, only thing left to do is to impeach him from office because that other option wasn't available. what's wrong with that argument?
4:24 pm
>> i think they can make the argument. the problem with the argument is, that is not what mueller said. he didn't say he would have charged but for the olc opinion. he said that he didn't even do the analysis. so that is one problem. then you've got the barr's analysis which is another problem. and i think, main problem is a broader one which is, regardless what people think of mueller, he is the only thing close to honest broker in this entire situation. if he reviewed this for a couple of years and interviewed all the witnesses and he didn't get there, for whatever reason, i don't see anyone's mind being changed by one party in one chamber of congress saying we've look at the same evidence he looked at, we came to different conclusion. connell: never mind the senate would never convict any way which is different political reality. thanks for bringing us up to speed how we see things. robert driscoll. melissa: more on fallout from robert mueller's comments. we're bringing you reaction from
4:25 pm
the 2020 democratic presidential candidates although you can pretty much guess what might be. that is coming up. other news you might have missed, amazon giving alexa a highly-anticipated security feature. now you can say alexa, you can delete everything i said today. the recordings will be wiped off everybody's servers. yeah right. alexa, delete what i just said! that will be rolled out in the coming weeks. i don't trust it though. termites. we're on the move. hey rick, all good? oh yeah, we're good. we're good. terminix. defenders of home.
4:26 pm
when it comes to reducing the evsugar in your family's diet,m. coke, dr pepper and pepsi hear you. we're working together to do just that. bringing you more great tasting beverages with less sugar or no sugar at all. smaller portion sizes,
4:27 pm
clear calorie labels and reminders to think balance. because we know mom wants what's best. more beverage choices, smaller portions, less sugar. balanceus.org
4:28 pm
4:29 pm
melissa: race for the white house, taking aim at president trump. 2020 democratic presidential candidates responding to mueller's statement today with at least one reversing his position on impeachment. go to fox business's hillary vaughn with the latest. hillary. reporter: 2020 presidential candidates are really piling on the impeachment bandwagon , to two frond runners, former vp joe biden, bernie sanders stopped short declaring impeachment on their own.
4:30 pm
biden calling impeachment process divisive possibly unavoidable. saying in a statement, vice president biden agrees with speaker pelosi no one would relish certainly would be divisive impeachment process but it may be unavoidable if this administration continues on its path. senator bernie sanders deferring to the house judiciary committee to decide if impeachment is necessary, tweeting quote, given reality we have a president who believes he is above the law, congress must continue its investigations. if the house judiciary committee deems it necessary i will support their decision to open an impeachment inquiry. sitting senators, elizabeth warren, cory booker, can kamala harris are calling for impeachment proceedings to beginning. pete buttigieg says this is as close as impeachment referral as it gets. robert mueller could not clear the president or charge him. he happened matter over to congress to deliver due process
4:31 pm
and accountability. former congressman beto o'rourke chiming in, there must be consequences accountability and justice. openly way to insure it is to begin impeachment proceedings. to impeach or not to the impeach is question here. that is up to house speaker approximately to answer. melissa. melissa: hillary, thank you for that. if you look at joe biden statement he actually said nothing. which is like any good politician. read it there, it says nothing. connell: why he is up in the polls. melissa: exactly. connell: move on. enough of this. we'll come back to it, but move on to the weather which is brutal from arkansas to kansas to ohio. states across the nation have been hit with some horrific storms. details on recovery efforts are coming in. we'll have those coming up. melissa: right, that is serious stuff. americans in battleground states. how are they rating the economy? we're getting a first-hand look what matters most to ohio voters. connell: how about this? searching for loose change. melissa: always. connell: you may find it at the
4:32 pm
airport. rushed travelers left behind, get this, nearly a million dollars last year at security checkpoints across the country. melissa: what? connell: and tsa decides how to use the unclaimed money. >> wow. connell: what a world. ♪ lly appreciate the military family and it really shows. with all that usaa offers why go with anybody else? we know their rates are good, we know that they're always going to take care of us. it was an instant savings and i should have changed a long time ago. it was funny because when we would call another insurance company, hey would say "oh we can't beat usaa" we're the webber family. we're the tenney's we're the hayles, and we're usaa members for life. ♪ get your usaa auto insurance quote today. ♪ as a doctor, i agree with cdc guidance. i recommend topical pain relievers first... like salonpas patch large. it's powerful, fda-approved to relieve moderate pain, yet non-addictive and gentle on the body. salonpas. it's good medicine. doctor bob, what should i take for back pain?
4:33 pm
before you take anything, i recommend applying topical relievers first. salonpas lidocaine patch blocks pain receptors for effective, non-addictive relief. salonpas lidocaine. patch, roll-on or cream. hisamitsu.
4:34 pm
4:35 pm
connell: record breaking extreme weather for 12 straight days. at least eight tornadoes have been reported daily across the central plains and midwest.
4:36 pm
recovery efforts are underway in ohio. we'll go there live in a few minutes. first to fox news correspondent matt finn in arkansas where flooding is soon expected to reach record levels. what can you tell us from where you are, matt? reporter: connell, fort smith is arkansas's second largest city. there is flooding in business corridors, industrial zones and many beautiful communities like this one. this is the arkansas river all the way up to rooftops in this community. we've been here for days. we've been watching this river increase in intensity and height. neighbors have been on edge. right now this afternoon there is some welcome relief. the army corps of engineers tells us that the river is starting to crest right now about two feet less than the initial projection of 42 1/2 feet but unfortunately for some people the damage has already done as you can see here. we talked to people in this neighborhood, who stripped their entire homes of all the car bet
4:37 pm
and rugs. they removed all furniture down to the bear bones. one family around the corner who is going back and forth with a boat, taking their belongings to dry land. we talked to an 87-year-old veteran who is measuring by the hour and praying for relief. >> it is pretty devastating because we put a lot of time into decorating the home and having a comfortable area. having the arkansas river, my dock is barely hanging on. reporter: and you can tell it is raining right now. these two counties are under a flash flood warning the exactly what it means for the river is to be determined. back to you guys. connell: some pictures. especially that garage where you are. matt finn in arkansas. melissa: for more on the recovery efforts in ohio, bring in mike robbins, director of emergency management for mercer county ohio, he joins us on the
4:38 pm
phone. thank you for joining us. can you tell us what it is like there right now? >> the cleanup is well underway, especially in the city of salinas. the city is actually picking up a lot of debris, also for homeowners and all volunteers we have in the area. of course insurance is covering some with private contractors. we're getting it hauled out. we're working with the ohio epa to raise the levels that local landfill is allowed to take. things are working well. we had a big eoc briefing. we are a looking at long-term recovery plans, with 40 homes with major or destroyed status. there will be people looking to rent for a long time and around here, we usually don't have enough rentals on a daily basis. we'll have 40 or 50 families into that mix. so we're starting to look ahead
4:39 pm
at long term recovery too. melissa: i mean, what do you do about that? what do you need? how long do you think all of this will take? >> there are no easy answers to housing. you can't just build apartments. we have three of our local congressman in the area were in town today. we're kind of a split district. our county is in a couple different congressional districts. and so congressman bob latta, jim jordan and warren davidson were here this morning, talking with commissioners, the mayor of sal line has. i got to speak with them for a while, from the national, to the state, to the local governments we're all working on these problems. a lot of long-term problems are, there are no easy answers but we are working on them. melissa: yeah. you know how does it change things that they're just a lot of different communityies are
4:40 pm
suffering at the same time? a bunch of different places are experiencing terrible weather-related devastation. does it make it harder on you guys to get attention, to recover, that sort of a thing? >> to an extent. even ohio got several counties right now involved that had tornadoes on monday night like we did. executive director of -- was in the county this morning. i got to speak with her for a while. they're working hard with other counties, with the federal government and governor has declared for counties that have been of affected. it has all been working but wider spread it. connell: there are only some resources out there. we were fine on the response. are there enough contractors to rebuild these homes?
4:41 pm
how long will it take? i know along the coast, states with hurricanes deal with this widespread devastation. this is very small area, salinas. there were a lot of homes in there. melissa: absolutely. we will be praying for you and your community, mike. we'll continue to shine a light on it so you get the attention you need. thanks for coming on, we appreciate it. good luck to you. >> no problem. thank you for having me. connell: saw pictures of a place called trotwood, ohio, when mr. robbins was speaking there. that is from ellison barber's crew. she joins us from there right now. what can you tell us from you are, ellison? reporter: connell this, is the one of the more severe tornadoes, ef-3, the winds mile-an-hour were between 136 and 165 miles an hour. you can see all the damage that was caused here. the wind, tornado came through. it sounded like a freight train. it went quiet, with noise all
4:42 pm
around them. over here behind us, more damage, more destruction. trees are down. people have been out here all day trying to clean up some of their homes in the area around it. but a lot of people don't have roofs. their homes are ripped open. they say they will have to find somewhere else entirely to live. we're in the back of the truck here, with samantha, taylor, they're high school students. they live in the area, they have been out handing out water and packages. you have delivered 100 care packages. >> like 120. >> so you guys live, you were here when the tornado hit. your homes have some damage. why did you want to come out here to do this, instead of staying put what is near your houses? >> we noticed how everything was around us. it wasn't as much, our damage was not as much as theirs. >> we checked on our family, everyone, you see all the destruction. we decided, our family was like, we know that we have, we have enough money and everything to do what we can. so we decided to get everything
4:43 pm
we could. we decided to give it out to the community. we gave out everything we could. >> it was right to help our community. reporter: that is one of the amazing things, connell. a lot of people came around, in trucks flatbeds, with things, water, juice, gatorade. they tried to give them to people in this neighborhood, not because their homes were spared, people down the road in this area were hit a lot harder. they say it will be a long road, a long recovery. thousands of people are still without power. right now the area is still under a water boil advisory. they have to boil water if they to drink it. water bottles are important on a day like today. connell: we see best in people in terrible situations. those two girls doing great work. thank you, ellison barber. melissa: election season is underway as robert mueller's investigation is officially coming to an end. what are voters focusing on?
4:44 pm
we'll speak with trump pollster. when we come back after break. alex trebek says some of his tumors have shrunk 50% and is in near remission. after being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. telling "people" magazine, said they hadn't seen these positive results in their memory. champion james holzhauer backing on his 29th straight victory. his earnings total $2.2 million. connell: wow. melissa: wow. all that, great news. ♪
4:45 pm
4:46 pm
at comcast, we didn't build the nation's largest gig-speed network just to make businesses run faster. we built it to help them go beyond. because beyond risk... welcome to the neighborhood, guys. there is reward. ♪ ♪ beyond work and life... who else could he be? there is the moment. beyond technology... there is human ingenuity. ♪ ♪ every day, comcast business is helping businesses go beyond the expected, to do the extraordinary. take your business beyond.
4:47 pm
4:48 pm
connell: we've been talking about robert mueller's statement today, sparking this new political storm quite possibly. now the big question remains, will the democrats jump on this, make a move towards impeachment proceedings to try to win back the white house next year that way? john mcglocklin joins us. pollster for the trump campaign. >> good to be here. connell: does this change the narrative for 2020 campaign what robert mueller had to say? >> that is going well for president, high 40s for likely job approval. rasmussen, he gets 50, obama was
4:49 pm
51%. george w. bush got 51% the day he got job approval. we get over 50%, democrats know that. things are going well, economy is booming, six million new jobs created, record low unemployment, america is strong in the world. what do they do, they change the subject. connell: doesn't hurt. for clinton in the late '90s it helped his numbers going through that process. could that happen? >> these democrats have nothing to talk a bought. their plan is not to do anything. the president in the state of the union earlier this year in february gave a great plan to fix infrastructure, cover preexisting conditions on health care, lower drug prices. he gave a really good list. democrats have acted on none of it. connell: overall with all the things you talked about, there is argument to be made i think things could be even better numberswise for the president. show you what 538 has in terms of this point in the presidency. i believe 860 days where someone's net approval is. president, current president, almost 13 points underwater
4:50 pm
there. the other presidents on the list, some have reasons, 9/11 for george w. bush. i believe george h.w. bush, the gulf war. other than jimmy carter who was in very bad position, this president doesn't compare favorably to those. why is he not higher than he is given the strong economy? >> first of all a lot of polls are skewed. they're done among adults being registered voters not likely voters. they screw democrats. connell: normally i would say you're crazy last time you were right about that. >> while they might have been fair to previous presidents, this president gets a lot of negative press. connell: do you buy into the argument he could be, should be higher than where he is, given the economy? >> what is interesting, is on monday, you had steve rattner, a part of the obama administration, wrote analysis of several predictive models, whether yale professor, don luskin, you had, moody's. connell: yeah. >> each one of those models said this president is going to get reelected with well over 50% of
4:51 pm
the vote. connell: basically what models say, correct me if i'm wrong, a president would get reelected in this environment. in other words an incumbent with strong economy. that goes back to the original question. >> there is this president. a president, we're talking about donald trump and they are looking at current trends. connell: in the economy so you're confident? >> i'm confident -- there is long way to go between now and then. president is lot stronger than people think. republican presidents, whether you go back to nixon or reagan, or george w. bush, they get reelected on two things, on strength of security, and prosperity. we have those things going on now. the democrats are going off the edge of the earth with crazy, socialist kind primary. connell: right. >> we'll see who they nominate. connell: we'll have you back hopefully a lot between the now and election. what is the most important state to watch? >> the most important state to watch, the states, last time we had heartland coalition out of sunbelt and rust belt. connell: right. >> several states to watch, i would look at florida. i would look at, everybody is
4:52 pm
looking at wisconsin, michigan, pennsylvania. connell: still the same. >> still the same. connell: good to see you. >> we'll expand the map. we'll pick up even more states. connell: good to see you, john mcclock lynn. melissa: how americans in the middle of the nation feeling about the economy and the president's policies heading into 2020. we're asking jane timkin, ohio gop chair. that is coming up after the break. the i had no idea why my mouth was constantly dry. it gave me bad breath. it was so embarrassing. now i take new biotene dry mouth lozenges whenever i'm on the go, which is all the time. new biotene dry mouth lozenges. freshen breath anytime, anywhere.
4:53 pm
4:54 pm
4:55 pm
new biotene dry mouth lozenges.
4:56 pm
what do you look for i want free access to research. yep, td ameritrade's got that. free access to every platform. yeah, that too. i don't want any trade minimums. yeah, i totally agree, they don't have any of those. i want to know what i'm paying upfront. yes, absolutely. do you just say yes to everything? hm. well i say no to kale. mm. yeah, they say if you blanch it it's better, but that seems like a lot of work. no hidden fees. no platform fees. no trade minimums. and yes, it's all at one low price. td ameritrade. ♪ melissa: moving to heartland, trump campaign emphasizing the strength of the economy as they gear up for a fight to win the key states in the midwest. but are economic successes enough to win the votes in ohio, joining us, ohio chairman. what are they most focused on
4:57 pm
right now? we hear they are with president trump with tariffs, they are frustrated and want to change, what do you hear. >> i am hearing they are really excited about president trump and his policies, i talked to business owners in state of ohio, a big complaint they have, they don't have enough workers, ohio is record low unemployment, i think 18 year record low. the economy is doing well under president trump ohio. president trump is delivering on promises made and kept. in ohio, they love this president. melissa: what would they like to see him do about the labor shortage. i hear that from manufacturers and builders, they need more talent, they don't have enough. >> absolutely, it is president trump i know he is focused on
4:58 pm
workforce development, it could happen here in ohio, the governor, lieutenant governor are focused on workforce develop. melissa: what does that mean? >> making sure that our education, matches our workforce needs, whether community klemm or technical schools, and focus on that would be helpful. president trump's policies are winning in ohio. melissa: i talked with a lot of people who would like to see local businesses partner with local middle schools. i know that is something that president's daughter has been heading up, do you see any of that happening in your state? what is the red tape like you know that might stop something like that locally? >> i think there is real recognition and a push for community colleges and technical colleges do partner with corporations it happens in a lot of our small technical colleges, locally where i live, stark state partners with
4:59 pm
corporations. >> talk to me about the weather, how are you coping. >> we're doing okay. ohio ones are fighters. president trump is aware of the situation in ohio, i know that emergency services will be there ready for ohioans, we'll be rebuilding, and ohio is looking strong for president trump. melissa: interesting, that means you know i heard from other states they need more labor, everything you talking about is about getting more skilled labor in your area. jean, thank you. >> thank you. connell: interesting how that comes together. melissa: true no matter what you look at, like they need more people, which and i great problem to -- a great problem to have, it means everyone is getting a job, but it means we need more training. connell: yes.
5:00 pm
absolutely, keep talking about it, today was not busy enough. we'll see what tomorrow brings, thanks for joining us, "bulls and bears" starts right now. >> if we had confidence that president did not commit a crime we would are said so, we do not however make a determination as to what the president did commit a crime. >> many constituents want to impeach of president. but we want to do what is right and what gets results. everybody wants justice. everybody wants the president to be held accountable. >> more than a little to do with stocks getting rattled today dropping more than 400 points, at session lows after robert mueller broke his silence, all of this fueling more calls from

70 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on