Skip to main content

tv   Special Report With Bret Baier  FOX News  April 18, 2012 1:00am-2:00am PDT

1:00 am
>> oh, illegal? >> i still ride in the back of a pick up truck. >> getting back the things we do on the beach. >> bill: "the o'reilly factor" is on. tonight: >> this administration today here and now declares unconditional war on poverty. >> this plan will help poor and working americans pull themselves into the middle class in a way we haven't seen in nearly 50 years. >> bill: after 50 years of massive antipoverty programs the report card is bleak. we will tell you how much the government is spending on the poor now and why the programs are not working. >> this is the biggest scandal in the history of the secret service. >> shepard: the secret service prostitution scandal seems to be getting worse. crowley and colmes with the latest. >> some of our viewers have complained they -- they get
1:01 am
frustrated and even angered when they see the first family jetting around different vacations and so forth. >> bill: body language takes a look at the president being confronted with a very personal question. >> boy, i don't know how many viewers you're talking about that say that. >> bill: caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. captions by closed captioning services >> bill: hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. president obama and the poor. that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. all the polls say the same thing. americans who don't have a lot of money, overwhelmingly support the president. that's because since mr. obama has been in office, welfare spending has increased 41%. right now about $1 trillion every year is spent on entitlements. medicaid, the biggest situation but there are 126
1:02 am
antipoverty programs on the books. back in 18964, president lyndon johnson declared unconditional war on poverty. at that time the poverty rate was about 19%. since then, america has spent roughly $15 trillion fighting poverty. yet, right now the poverty rate is above 15%. so you can see all the money has not done much to combat the problem. the reason is that poor education and poor parenting are driving dessubstitution. high school dropouts are almost four times more likely to end up in poverty than those who graduate. children growing up in single parent families are four times more likely to be poor than those living with both parents. as long as americans refuse to educate themselves and family units remain chaotic, you will have a 15% poverty rate no matter how much money you throw at it the statistics i have cited come from a new study by the cato institute as you know talking points has been telling you this for years. in a free society, people have a right to be a moron and no government can stop irresponsible parenting. so, what is the solution?
1:03 am
president obama believes that the federal government should give money to the poor. hand it right to them in a variety of ways. the problem with that is that many of the poor will use the money irresponsibly. high rate of alcohol and drug addiction and other social problems assure a massive amount of waste in the entitlement arena. americans are the most generous people on earth. but the truth is that income redistribution doesn't work. for what the feds spend now on entitlements, every single poor person in america could be handed almost $21,000 a year. now, mitt romney would be wise to lay out his own antipoverty program, that would be heavy on personal responsibility that if you are getting entitlements, you have to show where the money goes. it can't go to buy drugs and alcohol or to be used in a casino. the bible says the poor will always be with us and that's absolutely true. there are always going to be human beings who cannot and will not support themselves. society must be compassionate but must be responsible in
1:04 am
trying to help these people especially the kids. but right now there is no discipline at all in the entitlement culture. and president obama simply wants to throw more money at the problem. that's the memo. now for the top story tonight. reaction. with us here in the studio attorney faith jenkins and from los angeles dr. mark sawyer who teaches political science at ucla. all right, doctor, where am i going wrong here. >> wrong on some points. money throwing out cash payments that could be used in casinos, et cetera, but also really most of it is healthcare that doesn't really help lift people out of poverty but keeps them well while they are there and keeps them from getting sick. the other thing is that most of what you call welfare doesn't actually go to the poor. a lot of those programs are aimed at, you know, working poor people, working people and even the middle class, so most of the money that you are talking about isn't being spent or funneled to the poor. very little of it is going to them in cash. poverty hurts education.
1:05 am
>> bill: you know as well as i do that subsidizing food and subsidizing housing and subsidizing health costs allows an american then to save whatever money they make, driving a taxi or whatever it may be, in a job that they are trying to move up on, that's what the entitlement culture is and it does go directly to the folks. you can sell food stamps and people often do. so, you have a culture whereby you have spent this massive amount of money. and it hasn't really helped the poverty rate. i mean, 1915, all right. 4% difference for $15 trillion. come on. it's just not worth it so, i'm saying it's not working. you are saying it's not working. we are both saying the same thing. but i don't think we are in the same reason why it's not working. so, in your opinion, why is it not working? >> well, the reason why it's not working is if you look into the report it actually says if we weren't spending, this the poverty rate might be much higher. if you think about it, right, wages for people with low education and for people with
1:06 am
just a high school diploma have been completely stagnant over the last 30 or 40 years. >> bill: they will always be that way at the bottom. because there is no demand for the wadgesz to rise at the bottom. now, faith, you are from a fairly modest upbringing, right? would you say? >> yes. >> bill: all right, louisiana, right? >> right. >> bill: you are an attorney. >> yes. >> bill: you have risen up not by yourself. i'm sure you had help along the way? >> hard work, yes. >> bill: okay. so when you see the system spending $15 trillion for a result that is minuscule for the money, you say what? >> we are spending more than enough money to fight poverty. wear not using it in in the right ways. the number one antipoverty program, bill is a job. second thing ranked right up there is education. we have to bridge the opportunity gap for people. give them the tools they need to succeed. >> bill: this is theory.
1:07 am
you can't force kids to stay in high school. after a certain age they can drop out and as the poverty stats do when they do they are doomed. >> you can address some the disparities we are seeing in our public education system. many kids don't want to stay in the schools they are in because they are low performing. they are not great schools to be in. they don't have great teachers. >> bill: where do they go, to the street and earn no money. >> that's exactly what's happening. kids are dropping out of school and going to the street. one of the i we can do is address the disparities in our public education system. >> bill: like what. >> the quality of the education. talking about the trillions of dollars we are spending on these entitlement programs. i'm saying take money and use that continue to vest in education. >> bill: take it out of the entitlement fund and put more money in education? we spend more money on education than any other country except switzerland on the earth. more. >> obviously it's not being spent in the right way. because we're still having. >> bill: i think it's more family. >> iniquities. >> bill: doctor, i think it's more family than anything else. if you are born into a chaotic family and you are a little
1:08 am
kid and there is no emphasis on education or responsibility or doing anything, that you are almost doomed. i think that's what's going on here. >> bill, i think that's a terrible caricature of poor families in particular a lot of single moms working hard to raise their kids. >> bill: you don't think the collapse of the family has anything -- you don't think that drives port? the study says it does. >> well. no the study asserts that it does. i think. >> bill: asserts and says i believe is the same thing. go ahead. >> i think poverty is related to family dissolution. i mean, i saw more families break up on the south side of chicago where i grew up when the steel mills started closing, right in the economic basis of having a family unit together life gets real chaotic when you can't pay the bills. it effects kids, it effects their ability to learn. it effects them having stable housing. having stable food and cutting that isn't going to help. what we need to do is cut defense and a bunch of others things it.
1:09 am
>> bill: people came from all over the world didn't have anything. kept themselves up and families intact. it's only recently that the families have dissolved i think it's because of the culture rather than the employment picture. give me the last word. >> it is bawtsd of the culture. two thirds of poor children live in single parents home. i grew up in single parent home. that doesn't mean you are automatically cast aside to live a certain type of life. the moral leadership we see in this country we need to see more of the affirmation of values and education that will help tremendously. >> bill: thank you both. we appreciate it president obama threatens to come down hard on oil speck. we will tell you whether that's a good or bad idea. later, body language on the ann romney controversy. and reporter grilling the president about his famil
1:10 am
1:11 am
1:12 am
>> bill: impact segment tonight, president obama announcing new measures to try to bring down oil prices. they center on oil speculators. people who buy up barrels but don't actually take delivery of them. it's all a paper chase. >> we can't afford a situation where speculators artificially manipulate markets by buying up oil, creating the perception of a shortage and driving prices higher only to flip the oil for a quick profit. >> bill: here now to explain what's going on fox business correspondent sandra smith and co-host of the five eric bolling. had you a special with sarah palin on this friday or something like that. >> friday and saturday night.
1:13 am
>> bill: you were talking about this thing. i have been talking about it here for years that i believe that the speculators should have to put up at least 50% of the money that they actually bid on the oil, which would get a lot of riff-raff out of the market. you say? >> i say you are 100% right, bill. i'm not sure the number is 50%. but it would certainly limit the amount of speculation. let my give you an example. the globe use is 83 million barrels of oil a day. wet barrels brought out of ground and used. the world speculates or trades somewhere near 4 billion barrels a day. auto or 60 times the amount of oil that we use are traded in the form of what you call paper chasing or paper barrels. >> bill: that's because banks and brokerage houses and hedge funds and individuals want to make money trying to bet on where the oil prices are going to go. and you get crazy iran and other things that drive them up. now you, you are more of a free marketeer though. you don't want constraints put on all of these people.
1:14 am
>> they already have a lot of constraints. the future markets. the derivatives markets are some of the most regulated in the world. >> bill: what does it mean if i want to get in there i don't have to put up money for the oil. >> you do. what the president was proposing was to raise those margin requirements to try to restrict the number of speculators that enter into the market. >> bill: isn't that good thing. >> when is he trying to adjust manipulators, he is calling them speculators. they in the market. they put up their own capitals. placing wagers and bets is incorrect. they are taking on their own risk. they are betting on the price future date and time. speculators, bill, play a very important role for the market and for you and i as a consumer, for businesses, whether they're the end user. >> bill: what's the role? how are they important? >> speculators provide leg at this. if you don't know what that is at home. if you go out to sell a car, you are going to hope that there is more buyers for that car rather than one or two because you get a better price
1:15 am
for that car. the speculators improve price. >> bill: what's the oil companies see the speculators bidding up the price of oil they tack it on at the gas station. all right? so the price of oil goes up for not supply and demand. it goes up because speculators are betting it's going to go up. and that goes bang, right into the gas tank and right into the pockets of the american consumer. am i correct there? eric, am i correct. >> you are right. yes. >> bill: that's what happens, right? then when oil speculation goes down, when they are betting on the price to fall, oil companies don't drop the price as fast as they put it up, they drop it a lot slower. because they are making money at both ends. that's why the folks are getting hosed. that's what has to be regulated. >> i understand that can look that way to someone at home. >> bill: look that way that's what it. >>. no future markets are solely supply and demand. whether you are a hedger of that product or speculator, you serve a very important
1:16 am
role in price discovery. if you are a consumer sitting at home. >> bill: price discovery? >> okay. getting the best price. so if you or somebody at home you don't like what's happening with gas prices and the president is talking about taking more of those speculators out of the market, you are probably going to see higher prices at the pump. >> bill: speculation on ties. nobody is saying that the price of ties is going up and down. so i'm saying that there is a big chance that this is being manipulated by the financial community and you agree with me, right? >> here, let me explain something, bill. first of all there are speculators and market leg at this providers. different things. i was on the board of directors. regulates trades all these paper barrels in america. i was board of director there. any given day, if i walked on to that exchange, i was a trader as well, and bought $5 million worth of oil or $10 million worth of oil, and
1:17 am
sold those 10 million barrels worth of oil the same day, do you know how much money i would have to put up to do that? >> bill: nothing. >> not a single penny. >> if you are physically in the trading pit. electronically you cannot do that eric. when you talk about raising margin requirements, i think you should also know. >> i will tell you unequivocally there is no inner day margin requirements on speculative trading in the pit. listen, i'm a free market -- i need this point out. i'm also a free marketeer. i believe in the free market. i'm simply saying there has to be some, a touch, an iota accountability. >> bill: i don't like speculation at all. >> maybe it's 25. maybe it's 50. it shouldn't be zero. >> the employed economist after economist, academic, after academic. prove speculation drives prices higher. they have fired people because they cannot prove it, bill. >> bill: they can't prove it. >> goldman sachs says there is
1:18 am
$23 premium. >> rightly so. they are betting on the future. >> bill: when you have the future in the hands of the maul las in iran i think it's got to be regulated. secret service prostitution scandal cutting worse. crowley and colmes on that. press wanting to see what the cops found out about george zimmerman's confrontation with trayvon martin. back in a moment.
1:19 am
1:20 am
1:21 am
>> bill: factor follow up segment tonight, as numbers reporting that abulbasher of in secret service agents and u.s.a. military people actually went to a brothel in colombia called the play club. apparently some of these men engaged prostitutes at that club. right now 11 secret service agents are under suspicion along with a number of other military personnel. what should be done if the allegations are proved to be
1:22 am
true. here now monica crowley and alan colmes. what do you do. >> call them in and if the story is true fire them. they have lost their classification. >> security clearance. the story is true in the sense that they were there. nobody saw them there they aren't denying they weren't there this is at a brothel deal and a few of them hired them and took them back to the hotel which is the way it works in that area. you would basically keep it in the individual agents? you wouldn't go any higher than that. >> even peter king says you wouldn't go to the director. not his fault. he has done the right thing. >> bill: how would peter king know that. >> he is the head of the homeland security department. >> i think if you are the president at this point where you have an agency that's charged with doing two things, protecting your life and also being very secret about their methods and what they're doing and these guys apparently allegedly blabbing all over the place to the hookers i'm here to protect the president. they brought, allegedly they brought these hookers up to the hotel room i have the president's schedule all over
1:23 am
the hotel room. if you are the president then i think you have to face that you may have a cultural problem at the secret service. >> bill: yeah, well my problem is. >> so critical to his security. i think you have got to root it out. >> bill: doesn't happen in a vacuum. it's like a sports team. when you see a sports team like the jets just fall apart. it doesn't happen on one day. it's a gradual creeping thing. >> you had peter -- ralph peters saying this is a morally sloppy administration as to pin this on the administration. >> bill: i wouldn't blame that on 00 administration. you wouldn't think that's fair. i do think there is something wrong in the secret service hierarchy. they obviously didn't have any fear of doing. this going to the play club. >> you make a mistake, you are going to have rogue people step out of line. >> bill: it's not a mistake. >> doesn't make the whole corrupt. >> bill: if you want to protect the nation amend the president, you have to be skeptical of the fact that this organization, they didn't have any fear of doing this.
1:24 am
>> that's why there should be a full investigation as the president said should happen. these were not the people on the president's personal detail. >> it doesn't matter. >> of course, but there should be a full investigation. that's what should happen. >> bill: it's embarrassment. just the embarrassment to the country. >> to the country, right. we are talking about such a key agency here. you cannot afford any kind of mistakes. also, you can't afford this kind of culture. i'm with you. i think that this indicates that there is a serious cultural problem at the secret service which has to be rooted out. but i also think if you tease it out a little bit more, bill, have you been reporting on the gsa scandal, hiring clowns, spending hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. >> bill: here is the difference on that. i got a lot of letters from people say it's moral -- gsa scandal. fast and furious, atf thing. these guys are the elite guys. this is the top of the chart. the gsa guys are just guys that walk in off the street. they don't know anything. the guy in the bathtub with the champagne glass? come on. this guy would last 10 seconds
1:25 am
in the secret service training school. >> second glass of wine. >> colombian hookers. i don't know. here is the point. government has gotten so big and so bloated and so soft that. >> bill: i'm not buying that. >> look, you have got the stimulus wherever you are paying $200,000. you have got the doe, the department of energy with the solyndra. >> you are making it a political issue. >> i'm talking about a culture government-wide. >> bill: i'm not making any linkage at all. >> this kind of money or scandal. >> bill: the reason this story disturbs me and it does it disturbs me very much. these guys are supposed to be the best america has. these are the best, the elite. this is like the delta force. this is like the navy seals. they vet them because they have to protect the president and do a lot of other things that are very very necessary to protect this nation from harm. and then guys run to colombia and they are in the play club? they are going crazy three days before the president is
1:26 am
supposed to show up? >> that's my point is there is a government-wide. not just obama. this government has gotten so big that. >> all over 47 bucks. >> this is is allowed. >> bill: you would do an investigation. you would do it? >> i didn't see i would do it. you asked me. >> bill: if you would do it everybody would get off. >> you say i should run the investigation? that's not what i do for a living. i come on the factor for you. >> bill: i want you to investigate the guy in the bathtub. i will give you that assignment. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. body language on ann romney controversy. a reporter grilling the president about his vacations. and then is it legal on press demands that the police give up files on what happened between george zimmerman and trayvon martin. i hope you stay tuned to with the capital one cash rewards card you get a 50% annual bonus. and everyone likes 50% more cash -- well, except her. no! but, i'm about to change that. ♪ every little baby wants 50% more cash... ♪
1:27 am
phhht! fine, you try. [ strings breaking, wood splintering ] ha ha. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? ♪ what's in your...your...
1:28 am
1:29 am
>> bill: body language segment tonight. >> we begin with the ann romney controversy as you remember, cnn pundit hillary rosen criticized mrs. romney
1:30 am
and she replied. >> what you have is mitt romney running around the country saying well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues. when i listen to my wife, that's what i'm hearing. guess what? his wife has actually never worked a day in her life. >> she should have come to my house when those five boys were causing so much trouble. [ laughter ] it wasn't so easy. my career choice was to be a mother. and i think all of us need to know that we need to respect choices that women make. >> bill: all right. here now body language maven tonya reiman. you know what? mrs. romney was just here in the studio. you were talking to her, right? >> no, i didn't get a chance to talk, no. >> bill: did you say hello? >> no. >> bill: this is literally minutes ago, ann romney was here. just chatting about her duties on the campaign trail which are going to be substantial, by the way. she is going to be a very big part of the campaign. now, let's take ann romney first. she looked comfortable in the chair. obviously she had time to prepare her remarks, right? >> yeah. so when i looked at her, there
1:31 am
is not a lot of ammunition. not a lot of movement. i always call this body language lockdown. a little bit rehearsed. facial animation is comfortable and relaxed. >> body language lockdown. what does that mean. >> she is not letting too much emote from her body. she is holding herself tight. do you that quite often when you are preparing or rehearsing so that you don't look like you are going crazy. >> bill: i think they knew -- they gave her not gave her but they discussed with her -- >> -- right, talking points. >> bill: what the proper response was and how to frame it don't look mad. she didn't look mad. >> not at all. facial animation was good just the body was closed. >> bill: ms. rosen when she was spouting this off. should know when she was making this remark the firestorm of controversy was going to engender. she looks relaxed too. >> look at the brows are knitted. that's disagreement. can you see that but at the same time the brows are knitted. and she is smiling. so there is that look of almost sarcasm. and that is the message she is
1:32 am
sending. >> bill: she believed. >> much more animated. >> bill: she believed what she was saying. you are not working out of the house you shouldn't weigh in on economic issues. >> eyebrows raised. believe me, trust me, this is how i really feel. that's how you know it was a genuine movement. a genuine verbal reaction. >> bill: then, of course, she apologized for genuine comments. >> am nation initially was real genuine. >> bill: i don't think i have ever apologized for any comments i have made. sorry. >> you? >> bill: if i make them i stand behind them. larry conners long time anchorman in st. louis. he has got president obama on a local deal. and gives him a little jazz. go. >> some of our viewers have complained that they just don't -- you know, they get frustrated, even angered when they see the first family jetting around different vacations and so forth. sometimes they think maybe under color of state business and that you are out of touch if you don't really know what they are experiencing right now. >> well, i don't know -- i don't know how many viewers
1:33 am
you're talking about that say that. >> we do hear from some. >> well, i hear from all factions. >> i'm sure you do. >> about everything. the fact of the matter is i think if you look at my track record, i'm raising a family here. when we travel, we got to travel through secret service. and air force one. that's not my choice. >> bill: all right. so the head move, that was the big. >> that's his signature movement. >> bill: no, no, no. i disagree -- i'm disagreeing with the load language expert. >> you always do. that's okay. >> bill: he was surprised. watch his mouth. see how tight it is right now. is he nodding yes and it gets tighter. >> bill: in the beginning, before this, when he didn't know what the question was going to be, as soon as he heard the question about -- well, there it is. >> oh that movement, you are right. that's different. i thought you meant the end result. >> bill: he was surprised that conner is coming at him. there it is. hey, you idiot, what are you asking me this for? i got that look 14 times. >> most people do. that is his signature mark.
1:34 am
in the beginning you are right. you see the jaw martin. >> bill: is he teed off. >> not only teed off but eyebrows go down really low and then you see the jaw muscle contract really tight. so he was taken by surprise at that question. >> bill: he didn't like that question. >> when you shift your facial movement and your whole head that way, what you are doing really is trying to block out that question. he tried to block it out. once he realized he couldn't, recomposed himself. >> bill: his answer was cogent. he gave the answer he had to give. absolutely. >> did the signature head movement with the smile. >> bill: he didn't like it? >> he is good at that. >> bill: all right. tonya reiman, everybody. when we come right back. is it legal on a new controversy about what the police know happened the night trayvon marnt was shot dead by george zimmerman. press wants all the teerm. then, charles krauthammer on how mitt romney should prepare for the negative attacks coming his way. those reports after these messages. [♪...] >> announcer: bank robbery certainly is a frightening crime. after all, bank robbers stole
1:35 am
$43 million in one year. but identity thieves? try 18 billion! and guess how identity thieves are getting some of that money. by taking over our bank accounts. they may not even need your social security number anymore. all an identity thief may need are a couple of simple pieces of information, like your mother's maiden name or the city you were born in, and they could add their name onto your bank accounts in order to make your money their money. you need help. [whoosh, clang] you need lifelock-- the only identity theft protection company that now monitors bank accounts for takeover fraud. lifelock is the proactive identity theft protection company, with an early warning alert system that is state of the art. when we detect any suspected breaches of your personal information within our network, we contact you right away, before the damage is done. lifelock has the most comprehensive identity theft protection available. no one can stop all identity theft-- that's why lifelock
1:36 am
offers you peace of mind, and you get our million dollar total service guarantee. >> having your identity stolen feels like you've been totally violated. you go around looking over your shoulder. it's almost as if someone has broken into your home. >> announcer: don't spend another day without lifelock. call now. try lifelock's service risk-free for 60 days. lifelock is the only identity theft protection company that now monitors bank accounts for takeover fraud. no one provides more comprehensive identity theft protection than lifelock. if you're not convinced within 60 days, simply notify lifelock and you won't pay. and to keep your documents out of the wrong hands, we'll even add this personal shredder-- a $29 value-- absolutely free with your enrollment. don't wait another minute. call the number on your screen now, promo code: alerts. lifelock service guarantee cannot be offered to residents of new york.
1:37 am
1:38 am
>> bill: thanks for staying with us. i'm bill o'reilly. in the is it legal segment tonight. last year the judge threw out the case against roger clemens. the 49-year-old clemens is charged with perjury for lying in front of a congressional committee. the feds have spent millions on the case. now the second trial is underway. here now attorneys and fox news analysts kimberly guilfoyle and lis wiehl. wiehl the author of the big new thriller "eyes of justice." the barry bonds trial $6 million. >> right. >> bill: it cost the government. 6 million bucks. >> just convicted on obstruction. >> bill: now he is appealing and all of that. now this is going to cost at least that for roger clemens. >> sure. because they are going through a second trial. >> bill: why bother with this? >> to make an example of him. that even if you are high and mighty, you are the famous player. if you go in front of congress, if you take. >> bill: you say they have to? >> i think they have to. >> there was a mistrial the
1:39 am
first time around and they could elected to not proceed forward. >> bill: the government could have. >> absolutely. >> bill: they won it. >> and the judge could have said there isn't sufficient evidence to go forward. he didn't say that they are doing. this i really do think it's incredible waste of money. >> bill: do you think it's a waste. >> to maybe get however were the laws broken? yes, it should go before a jury. if that appears to be at case. >> bill: we can't convict the guy on tv. >> that's my point. we have to see. >> bill: also cheating in professional sports issue too which they have to get a handle on. >> more of a moral point. >> bill: going to be like a two or three month trial. >> bonds got two months probation and 30 days house arrest after $6 million. a lot of money. >> you can't be thinking just about the money. >> bill: there are media companies now that are petitioner the state of florida to get the police files of the zimmerman trayvon martin case. and in those files they want the arrest warrant, original affidavits to support probable
1:40 am
cause. witness list, jurors names. >> criminal history. >> bill: i don't think the press should have all of this, guilfoyle. i don't think they should. >> there is a couple different nuances to. this this is taking place in florida which has one of the most liberal laws with respect to cameras in the courtroom and sunshine laws. transapparently to give over documents. i believe a case of this nature we have already had a million-dollar bounty out for the defendant in this case. and with the new black panthers. the stakes are very high. so they are supposed to have a hearing. they say the judge violated the rules already by not holding a proper hearing and just agreeing to seal the documents. the remedy for that is that the documents have to be unsealed. now, i don't think that should happen. they should go through it and don't give the juror names. >> bill: you are putting people in danger here. >> right. that's the problem. >> because, when the press gets the information, they're going to do what they have already done, try the case on television. >> true. but there is a really big difference between saying okay, release the arrest warrant. release the probable cause.
1:41 am
and release jurors' names. jurors addresses. >> bill: absolutely. there is a difference. >> you have got to give. >> bill: if you start releasing to the press evidence that hasn't been cross-examined. >> you can't do it. >> bill: do you guys know in england the press can't even cover ongoing criminal trials? they are not allowed to cover it because the english system says you're going to try it on tv or in the newspaper and it's not fair. you are going to jeopardize the verdict. >> no cameras in the courtroom, you get rumors and innuendo. >> bill: i don't mind the cameras in the courtroom. i don't mind when you have someone advocating for the defendant and for the prosecution. i want that. >> you are saying in advance. >> i don't want nbc and headline news trying the case, which is exactly what they want to do. >> that's what they want. >> what they're going to do is camp out in front of those jurors' homes. pollute the jury by doing that? >> that's inappropriate. >> bill: pollute them? scare the hell out of them. do you want the black panthers in your backyard. >> no. >> we agree with you.
1:42 am
>> bill: you might. but i don't know about her. >> some of them can be released. the arrest warrant can be released. >> bill: county judge cherry pick. >> he can cherry pick. >> i think you can in this case demonstrate it based on the reasons you have stated. >> bill: here is another very serious legal story. this is in new jersey? is that where it is. >> yes. >> couple rents a house but the house is haunted. >> it's scary. it is. it is very very frightening. roll the tape. >> house on the tv. that's the same night i got shocked three times. >> they claim they recorded strange voices whispering let it burn. you be the judge. >> listen again. [inaudible] >> bill: i wasn't anywhere near that house. not me. >> scares them off. paranormal activity. this couple want their deposit back. >> $500 deposit. >> and rent back. >> and rent back because it's haunted. meanwhile, i'm sorry, i can't
1:43 am
say this with a straight face. meanwhile they have had tenants in the same house for 10 years gee, no haunting. no paranormal activity. >> bill: before these people moved in there were other people for 10 years and they didn't see any an enter be a recognitions or poll der geist. have the spirits inhabiting the house kick in. >> you are laughing at this. people believe in ghosts and paranormal. >> bill: they should all get their rent back. >> guess what? they are spending more money by renting and being in a hotel and being displaced and there is a warranty of inhabitability. in new york there is precedent for. this 1991 case so ha ha. >> bill: amityville horror, right? they moved out of the house because they are too frightened to live there. >> well, the idea that they just couldn't afford the rent. >> bill: i didn't believe in ghosts because i have been everywhere in the world and, you know, i have seen some very strake things but. >> the last one final they are
1:44 am
in bed and the ghost comes and pulls the cover off. >> bill: is that what happened? >> do they have video on that? maybe the ghost was cold and they -- the ghosts don't have a lot of clothes on. is it legal, everybody. just a footnote, can you get wiehl's new book free if you buy a copy of killing lincoln on bill o'reilly.com. wiehl paid me to say that charles krauthammer on deck. he has some advice for mitt romney who is going to be pounded into pudding who want to see president obama reelected. krauthammer is next.
1:45 am
1:46 am
1:47 am
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight, there is no question the presidential campaign will be largely negative and mitt romney will be attacked pretty much 24/7.
1:48 am
>> the picture that he was painting of an america, you know, restoring an america. i kept thinking it sounds like you want to go back to a time when women couldn't vote. blacks couldn't vote. we didn't have -- i mean, it just didn't sound like this was the america that we all know. >> bill: yeah, of course. governor romney doesn't want blacks and women to vote. of course, that's part of his platform. joining us now from washington, fox news political analyst charles krauthammer. so, has it reached critical mass in april? i mean, are we there already where this is so insane that people are just going to laugh about it? >> well, who knows if they will laugh about it. negative campaigns can work. and we're getting a taste of it right now. i think romney's strategy should be to embrace that negativity. just go for it and point out -- go back to it and point out how it's a sign of sciolousness and hypocrisy. look at the mean, the
1:49 am
democrats have put out from top to bottom. republicans romney, the war on women. the concocted idea. war on immigrants. we hear from that. war on blacks. it's also class warfare. the war on the middle class, comforting the rich and making sure they don't pay their fair share. the hypocrisy here, of course, is that barack obama shot to national consciousness giving a speech in which he said he would unite red america and blue america. we are not black america, white america, we're the united states of america. is he running -- the democrats are running the most divisive campaign on race. on ethnicity. on class and on gender. i mean, it's going to be the dirtiest campaign have you ever seen. >> bill: i think so. >> i would say hide the children and check the plumbing because you're going to have to shower several times a day. >> bill: if you are mitt romney, how do you do that? now, there is a few ways. you can do it the factor way. we did it last night.
1:50 am
with bernie goldberg. you take the absurdity of what that woman said, and you say, look, that's right, i don't want -- i want to take votes away from women and blacks. how insane is that directly straight up. that empowers the people making the sciolous charges. so you have got to watch it there or you can have your surrogates do it. i mean, how do you think romney should handle it? you could have surrogates or romney do it. i think romney can stand up and say look at what they are throwing at me. do you really think i don't want women to vote? i don't want african-americans to vote? and what you then -- you segway immediately to why would a president running after a term say all of these things? why would a party say all these things, imply all these things? because they have nothing to run on.
1:51 am
>> bill: that's a good point. >> stimulus the word doesn't exist. >> bill: can't defend their record so they have to make up stuff about me. and i think that's probably the way that romney campaign will go. but they open themselves up for hypocrisy charges, too. the romney people do. because of the way they went negative against santorum and gingrich in the primary which they did. they went particularly in florida. boom, boom, boom, boom. romney going to be hard to take the high ground, is it not? >> no, i don't think so. i think there are two kinds of negative campaigning. there is add homonym. where you accuse of somebody hating women, warring on americans. not wanting african-americans to show up at the polls. favoring being against the middle class which are absurdities. and then there is campaigning on facts on the record. a lot of the negative campaigning against gingrich was based on things he actually said and did. and i think there is enough on obama the things he promised and the things he hasn't done. the things he said that aren't
1:52 am
true. the pie in the sky the dreams about cars running on algae. his claims that oil drilling has increased. his distortions are the facts you can go after. can you point out then the facts. unemployment. the worse of the longest height over 8% unemployment second world war. slowest recovery since the second world war. you have all of these facts you can pile on. if you do that and stay with that i think you have got a winning formula. even if romney is the one who says it rather than a surrogate. >> bill: right. i think that the governor is going to have to define the tone of his campaign. he is going to have to do it fairly quickly. it will be interesting to see. is he not a confrontational guy. and neither is obama. both of them are not confrontational. they would rather have their pacs do it and that's what's happening now. the surrogates. charles, i have got to run. thanks as always we appreciate it bob beckel using the f word on hannity.
1:53 am
say it ain't so, bob. we'll be right back with it.
1:54 am
1:55 am
pinhead and patriots starring bob beckel using "f" word on hannity in a moment. but first, the mail. from lynchburg, virginia. aren't you doing the same thing in the secret service case done in the zimmerman-martin situation? wait for the facts to come out. the they are out, dot. there aren't two sides to the
1:56 am
story. secret service agents were seen as a brothel. a number have lost security clearances. nobody is denying what happened. quite a difference from the martin case. charlie from philippines -- hold on, bill, you're out of line condemning the agents. worried about a few guys having fun on their own time. on their own time? on their own time? are you in the sun over there, charlie? they were sent to cartagena to protect the president. c'mon, man. on their own time? jonathan perry -- "you would think with a name like the secret service they would know how to be serviced secretly." [ laughter ] luke short, wyoming -- "bill, check yourself in pinhead column. suggestion of federalized gun crime is wrong. it's a local issue." it's not. constitution dictates all americans have right to bear arms. that crosses state lines, obviously. if you want to lessen gun crimes give stiff, mandatory federal sentences to all of those who refuse the right
1:57 am
handed down by the founders. warren from texas -- "a crime committed with a firearm is not more of a crime than one committed with a car." say hello to the tin man, will you, warren? unbelievable. alajendro austin, el paso, texas. i was unemployed last year and still donated money to charity. that makes me six times the man al gore is. robert rand dal, albuquerque, new mexico -- i don't care to know the amount anybody gives to charity. thank you very much. that is your choice, robert but my job is report on the facts about our leadership and that includes charitable donations. caleb sands,
1:58 am
1:59 am

118 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on