Skip to main content

tv   America Live  FOX News  March 26, 2013 10:00am-12:00pm PDT

10:00 am
of sugars. [ major nutrition ] ensure! nutrition in charge!
10:01 am
of sugars. i found our colors. we've made a decision. great, let's go get you set up... you should check out our workshops... push your color boundaries while staying well within your budget walls. i want to paint something else. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. behr premium plus interior paint, only at the home depot. and now only $23.46 a gallon. >> militaries of people >> millions of peopleuse
10:02 am
facebook and eddie from massachusetts is in desperate need of a kidney and two relatives offered to donate, they weren't a match. he looked at a donor base, and one from california offered to give one of her kidneys and they connected on facebook, an immediate bond and they were a match and the surgeries are scheduled for next week. so we wish them well. >> good for her, that's great. >> and him. >> thanks for joining us. >> "america live" starts right now. >> fox news alert and what is busy news day we have for you folks, a stunning statement, first up, from a leader of one of the world's largest economies as he suggests countries now running into economic troubles should follow the lead of cyprus and possibly consider just taking the money they need from people who bank with them. and welcome to "america live," everyone, i'm megyn kelly, they said it wouldn't happen and only in cyprus and not to worry, well, maybe not. and the statement i just mentioned came earlier from
10:03 am
the finance minister of the euro zone, he's the head, the head finance minister, that's europe's economic union and another european leader was so upset by the comments, he came out and in a fair showing of public dissension, called the earlier statements wrong. and this dustup comes as new protests erupt in cyprus and demonstrators there outraged over the deal and effectively steals money, just takes it from the wealthy and from businesses that cannot pay salaries and suppliers. protesters urging the fellow country men and women to fight back, chanting that lawmakers are quote, sucking your blood. and simon constable is a wall street columnist and the offer of the 50 economic indicators that matter and this is amazing, simon, when you see that this is the guy who comes out and says this is the real deal. i mean, this guy is important and head of the finance ministers and he comes out and i want to get-- i can see his name is tough to pronounce, but he is the top
10:04 am
central bank official and he's saying, look, i like what we did in cyprus and not only is it good there, this could serve as a model for us. throughout europe. >> and thumbs down, thumbs down. it's so bad. >> megyn: why? >> it's theft, right? it's theft of private property. and that's a first thing and we know that economies that don't have property rights do very badly. this is, you know, starting infringing on that and it's bad for another reason. if people know this is coming they're going to take all of the money out of the banks and then the banks are going to be in worse shape and you need the money in the banks, and saving is a virtue, it's personal responsibility and on so many levels, this is so dumb. >> megyn: i thought he we weren't going to see this because when we talk about cyprus, first of all, half the team were cyprus, where, what? why do i care? it's a little island nation and they've got some issues and i don't know shall the russians are laundering money there, why do i care and
10:05 am
discussion of moral hazard and whether there's a precedent being set because the united states of america doesn't have its balance sheet all that shored up either and certainly our friends in europe are in greater trouble than we are in today. so now we see, after people dismiss this, as you know, it's cyprus, not to worry. the head of the euro zone comes out and says, i think it's great. and actually, now the number two guy is saying, i don't exactly agree, hold on, because the market started tanking. >> well, that tells you everything, because of the market. and you're right. everything you say is right. it's an outrage and look at this. try with someone small and insignificant and then it gets to you quickly and that's another example of this. who cares about cyprus and then it could be spain, italy, germany. everywhere else. >> no wonder britain didn't want to be in the euro zone. >> you're talking 40% of people's savings that they
10:06 am
have over basically $130,000. >> and once the money-- >> 40. >> and watch the money flow out of banks in southern europe. franc portugal, ireland, spain. this is just bad, bad, bad news and we see that countries and the economies where you have dictators that just snatch wealth from people, this you see those economies do very, very badly. think about dictators involved in africa in places and those economies didn't grow. when you don't have this liberty, then you get disaster. >> megyn: there has to be trust between you and your banker, otherwise you wouldn't stash your money there, you'd stuff it in the mattress. >> or better still, a safe because could go wrong with that. . >> megyn: it's pretty crazy ifrments about the moral hazard. if you want the people to be aware of moral hazard and
10:07 am
investing or putting their money in a dodgy bank then you let the bank go through bankruptcy and i realize that's a moot point, but really, that's what should have happened. the idea of snatching money willy nilly because you might not like some of the depositors is crazy. it stinks, it really does. >> megyn: the bankruptcy is sort of a natural consequence, a law of natural consequences would have taken place, but this is not natural. and i'm sure that big depositors are extremely unhappy and the banks i guess open up on thursday in cyprus. and watch for the run. all right, simon, thanks a lot. >> cheers. >> megyn: cheers. i like that. and here at home. research out today suggested that americans are feeling less covet about our economy. a new york based private research group says its consumer confidence index is now falling. a score of 90 indicates a healthy economy and in february, the reading was 68 and the group blames anxiety over the recent budget changes we've seen and it's closely
10:08 am
watched by economists and important because of overspending accounts for 70% of u.s. economic activity. and feeling good. we are also tracking a jaw dropping court reversal for american amanda knox. italy's highest court today ordering a new trial and that's not good. and for the student accused of killing her roommate while studying abroad. she was first kicked of the case, sentence today 25 years plus in jail and they reversed her conviction, let go and now ordering a new trial to see if she could be convicted again. knox served four years of the 25 in the italian prison and this is 2011 when she and her boyfriend, charged and convicted were released after that appeals court threw out her conviction. and now, now what's going to happen? i mean, does she have to go back to italy? what if she's convicted again? what does it mean for her? coming up we'll speak with our--
10:09 am
look at arthur's picture. this isn't funny. we have to tease him about this one once he comes on. arthur aidala is here, a former defense attorney and law office ins italy and is very familiar with the italian justice system. the perfect guest and we'll speak with him in just a bit. we're following chilling new details as a possible motive emerges in the murder of colorado's prison chief. remember this story? new reports suggest that suspect evan spencer ebel seen right here on right, may have been carrying out a hit ordered from behind bars. trace gallagher live from los angeles, trace? >> reporter: as the gang from behind bar the 211 crew mainly a colorado prison gang, but they take their name from the california penal code from robbery 211. the members are recruited within the prison system. once the members get out experts say they get involved in drugs and weapons trafficking to help fund the
10:10 am
gang and once you're in, you're he apparently in for life. the man believed to have killed the colorado prison chief, tom clement, evan ebel was a member of the crew. and the month after he was crew, he suggested that they dilute the power within the system and the report went on to say that the department of correction, is now interviewing other 211 crew members, fearing they could be planning another attack. and here is a defense attorney who once defended 211 crew members, listen. >> you don't have the authority as a member of a gang to go out and just kill someone. it has to be a called shot by a shot caller and so, doc undoubtedly is looking to see who the shot caller was. when he they find the shot caller, there is going to be a murder charge lodged. >> reporter: now the colorado department of corrections is
10:11 am
pushing back hard on the story saying that shuffling prisoners around is very common procedure, adding and i'm quoting here, it is irresponsible for the denver post to issue the report regarding our tactics of shuffling the 211 security threat in an effort to jar their organization. a former inmate has also expressed doubt about clements killing by a gang member, saying that he, too, believed it's very common to shuffle these prisoners around. denver post standing by its reporting that they are concerned about other possible hits on other members of the department of corrections, megyn. >> megyn: all right. trace, thanks. we're learning more about a criminal trial that points to what the feds call the growing threat of insider spies here in the usa. stealing our secrets and then sending them over to china. we'll speak with a man who helped crack one of america's most damaging spy cases about what america can do to keep our hard won military
10:12 am
technology from getting shipped overseas, and remember the movie breach. our next guest was, they based that movie on his efforts to find this big spy, they did within the fbi. he's here live and talk to us what to do about china. and plus, renowned pediatric surgeon ben carson is challenging president obama to do more what he calls, dr. carson calls more the family crisis in america. he joins us live here today to explain what this involves and why he thinks it should not include more government handouts. and growing outrage after actor jim carrey attacks america's second amendment supporters with a video that one fox news host claims targets rural americans and iconic actor who passed away. and greg gutfeld tells us why he isn't laughing at all over the famous funny man's latest video. >> he's a dirty, stinking coward. he's a moral coward and did a video attacking--
10:13 am
did a video attacking rural america. he wouldn't do a video about gangs, which kills way more people with handguns. he wouldn't do that he's worried about his career. he's a pathetic, sad little freak. he's a jibbering mess. ♪ you know my heart burns for you... ♪
10:14 am
i'm up next, but now i'm sging the heartburn blues. hold on, prilosec isn't for fast relief. cue up alka-seltzer. it stops heartburn fast. ♪ oh what a relief it is!
10:15 am
cue up alka-seltzer. it stops heartburn fast. "i don't really like taking my vitamins." nature made said, "here's new vitamelts." in flavors like juicy orange... ...or creamy vanilla. tasty, smooth-melting vitamin supplements. new nature made vitamelts. made to higher standards. yours. get a coupon on our facebook page.
10:16 am
>> fox news alert. and america's newest millionaire. the new jersey man who just won the 338 million dollar powerball jackpot is set to reveal himself to the media within the next 45 minutes. pedro is a married father of five and a dominican immigrant. he bought the ticket at a liquor store in the state of new jersey and his jackpot will work out to be 152 million bucks after taxes. nice change! we will bring you his reaction live right here as we all get to formally meet him the top of the hour.
10:17 am
we're hearing some disturbing new warnings today from the fbi about what they call a growing trend of insider spies in this country. and they're from china. and how these people are threatening our national security and our business community. the latest example involves the chinese citizen who worked at a major u.s. defense contractor. he was just sentenced to five-plus years in prison for stealing missile guidance secrets and sending them straight to china. how does this happen and all the time? eric o'neal is a former counter intelligence operative and a famous man, eric. i won fuhr i didn't know you by name and i saw that movie called "breach" and ryan played you as a young fbi operative sent in to sort of follow this guy, this fbi agent who was part of our
10:18 am
elite soviet analytical unit, robert hanson and he was suspected of selling our secrets to the soviets and indeed that's what he did. and ryan, aka you, helped the feds get to the bottom of it. and the real man robert hanson shown here is serving a life sentence. and you know a thing or two about spies working among us. >> quite a bit. >> megyn: my question, are we most focused and need to worry about chinese spies selling our secrets back to china? >> i think we've had to worry about chinese spies stealing information not only from the u.s. government, but more importantly from u.s. companies and corporations. anyone who innovates, our trade secrets. we've had to worry the last five years and decades. it's amazing now the government is issuing information on it and people are really starting to worry about it. >> megyn: you know, the chinese are known for their work ethic and toiling away, late hours and so on. they don't want to work for this. they want to steal our secret,
10:19 am
our military secrets in particular. this latest thing involved a tiny little device that would allow drone missi targets without satellites. and they don't want to work hard to find it themselves. >> and that device right there, the topic for today, is really something we don't want the chinese to have. we don't want any military competitor to have. and think about the chinese, i mean, what they're doing is smart business, it's-- if you are a national power. instead of innovating, they steal innovation and mass produce it faster than anyone else, that's their capability. it's our job in order to protect our national secrets and also our ability to innovate and maintain our technological superiority. is to keep this out of the hands of other foreign powers who may want to steal it. >> megyn: one of the questions, how do we do that? you say we need to look inside our countries, defense
10:20 am
contractors and others, and sort of try to profile potential spies. like this guy lou who got sentenced to five years, he'd been going off to trips 0 china and misleading his bosses, i'm going to chicago. turns out he wasn't in chicago at all and a case earlier this month where a chinese citizen was working as a contractor at langley for nasa. and he had a laptop with sensitive information. after that they came out, a nasa administrator said we're going to limit access to nasa for citizens of several countries. do we need to be doing more of that? >> you know, i don't blame nasa for doing that. remember, we just had a case in hawaii where a defense contractor was caught in a, you know, the traditional honey trap, a much younger chinese citizen were soliciting information from them. >> megyn: what do they call it the honey pot?
10:21 am
>> honey trap. someone much more young and attractive entices someone using a variety of messages, including seduction to reveal secrets. and the long and short of it, the government has to do more and more importantly, businesses have to do more. businesses have to not be asleep at the wheel and that's not just our defense contractors, but anyone who inno evaluates. everything from backgrounding critical employees, due diligence and transactions to having some consulting work to find out if there are insiders, or if there are problems within the company that might lead to that. >> megyn: i know you do this professionally for companies and hire you to come in and help them spot espionage. now, how do you train somebody to do that? >> we call it the vulnerability, and we come in and help the company and what policies and practices they have and at the end of the day the best way to go about teaching a company to spot this is through training,
10:22 am
train the managers ap the directors, understand how they're protecting intelligence, if you will. how they're protecting trade secrets and that might be my compartmentlizing them and only a few people need to know. tracking back things that disappear or might be stolen to find out who it was who gave up that secret, but you have to know your employees. you can't just hire someone because they have a good pedigree or they say they have a good pedigree. the fact of the matter is it might be a chinese spy. >> megyn: china is spying on us and he we need to be conscious of that fact. when you were tracking robert hanson and you were young and new and he was an old respected guy, turns out a spy for russia, was it scary? >> it certainly was, but when you're he in an undercover investigation you can't let the fear hit you because it it can turn you paranoid and you might do something like fail. so, it's like, you know, i had this discussion with ryan fi
10:23 am
phillipe. >> megyn: and to steal a phrase from my friend sean hannity, you're a great american. coming up new outrage over a report that suggests one california state lawmaker is raking in a salary bigger than what our president earnings. and coming up what exactly she does for the taxpayers' hard earned money and the supreme court is taking up the issue whether or not california voters have the right to decide on the marriage rules in their home state. we have now heard the arguments before the supreme court on gay marriage and we will tell you how it went this morning. and how this could likely affect not only california, but the entire country's definition of marriage.
10:24 am
10:25 am
10:26 am
10:27 am
>> there's growing outrage over the just published salary of one public employee in the cash-strapped state of california. according to several local papers, this county administrator is guaranteed payments of more than 400,000 a year for the rest of her life. trace gallagher has more live from l.a. wow, good work if you can get it, trace. >> part of the outrage in california we passed the nation's biggest tax hike and that money was supposed to go towards education and of course, a big chunk of the money is going towards pension. and we learned that the alameda county administrator is now making $422,000 a year, megyn, and as you said, for life. now, let me break it down for you and tell you what's included in that.
10:28 am
check this out. the total salary here is $422,000, longevity pay because she's worked for the county more than 30 years. on top of that, including the salary, a bonus of $24,000 because that ensures that she will forever remain the highest paid employee in the county. her pension and retirement, you see she doesn't pay a nickel into it, so the county every year pays into it $181,0 $181,000, into her retirement account. and by the way, she gets a car allowance of $8200. see the red numbers, the county deficit is 88 million dollars and this bottom number right here, megyn, that's the average salary for the private worker in alameda county, $34,900. and now let's play your favorite game of all, megyn, guess the other administrator's salaries? in chicago would you like to take a guess what they make?
10:29 am
>> 60,000. >> $128,000 in chicago. >> megyn: way off. >> and the largest city. in new york city, the nation's largest city, remember, she makes 422, what do they make in new york city. >> megyn: i'm going 175. >> no, 152 for new york city, megyn, not a bad guess, you're getting better and san francisco right next door to alameda county, the county administrator, city administrator makes. >> megyn: 161, 162. >> 153. and she's 62 years old and lifetime experts believe she'll live to be in her 80's. total, total. what the county owes her is going to be $9,284,000. >> megyn: unreal. how did she get -- how did this happen? like did she negotiate this? is this just, this is just the way that she got, putting
10:30 am
aside the bonus issue? >> and she's been there 38 years, as you step up, the contracts read that you step up a salary and then there are added bonuses, longevity pay, all of these things add up into this. her base is 300 some odd thousand, but she gets all of these additions into this and base salary and they have to pay it in perpetuity. forever. >> megyn: more than our president makes. okay. >> and the president makes 400,000, i was going to put that up, but everybody knows that. >> megyn: the president of the united states is getting paid less than the county administrator in alameda county and we leave it at that. i'm sure she's very busy, however, taking a lot of the same risks and responsibilities he is. trace, thank you. >> sure. >> megyn: wow. up in just a beat. nationally renowned pediatric surgeon dr. ben carson, he's here live. 's made a lot of news lately challenging president obama for not doing more to traaddres
10:31 am
what dr. carson calls the family crisis in america and he's taken heat from commenttators who believe he's a quote, token, for conservative republicans. he's here live and we'll ask him about that. and why is the application for the president's health care law include voter registration questions? some are now asking that question. we will have a full report. plus, actor jim carrey at the center of a controversial video that critics say attacks the second amendment and actor charlton heston. the critics don't have to say that. you can see yourself. ♪ from pain and fear ♪ ♪ charlton heston movies are no longer in demand ♪ ♪ forever ♪ i'm a conservative investor.
10:32 am
but that doesn't mean i don't want to make money. i love making money. i try to be smart with my investments. i also try to keep my costs down.
10:33 am
what's your plan? ishares. low cost and tax efficient. find out why nine out of ten large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal.
10:34 am
10:35 am
>> fox news alert. we're just getting our first audio now from the u.s. supreme court as the justices today heard arguments on california's proposition 8. that was their constitutional ban on gay marriage in that state. the high court ultimately being asked to determine whether voters in california have the right to decide the marriage laws in their state. and we understand several justices today suggested that the court could dismiss this case with no ruling at all. outside of the court, large crowds representing both sides
10:36 am
of the issue gathered and many holding signs, chanting slogans and a few in verbal confrontations and long lines forming well in advance of today's hearings and you've got to line up. tickets for a guaranteed seat going for as much as 6,000 bucks, the going rate for those apparently willing to pay someone to stand in line for you, rather than, you know, if you don't want to wait in line yourself. and some people, yeah, will hire themselves out to stand in line for the rest of us who are lazy, if you want to get in. shannon bream got in free she's a member of the press and she's live at the u.s. supreme court. what a great day and argument to listen to, because there were so many interesting legal issues. bring us up to speed. >> reporter: there were, megyn, a fortunate thing that the courthouse released the same day audio and great for people who can't sustain the arguments to hear the justices in their own voice, inflection, tone, and the questions they had to ask today.
10:37 am
there's an issue that may preclude this from getting to the mayor, a question of issues of standing and the right people here bringing this case. after prop 8 was passed, amending the constitution, marriage as only one man and one woman. the attorney general in california and the governor said we're not going to defend this law, so a group of people who supported proposition 8 were the ones who brought it here and today, there were some who said, californi provides many benefits to same-sex couples, why do they need the term marriage, the label marriage. it's something the chief justice talked about with the solicitor general, and argued against prop 8. here is the interaction. >> so it's just about the label in this case. >> the label is-- >> same-sex couples have every other night, but they have the label. >> the label marriage means something, even our opponents-- >> sir, if you tell a child that somebody has to be their friend, and suppose you can force a child to say this is my friend, but it changes the
10:38 am
definition of what it means to be a friend and that it seems to me what saying, all you're interested in it it the label and you insist on changing the definition of the label. >> reporter: of course, there were a number of justices who thought that might be a very important thing and everybody is watching justice anthony kennedy believing he could be the swing vote. he says there is an immediate legal, what could be a legal injury, and that's the voice of these children. there are some 40,000 children in california that live with same-sex parents and want their parents to have full recognition and status. the voice of those children is important in this case, don't you think? of course we're going to pars everything that justice kennedy had to say and do that better with the audio that's officially out there. and all of the justices will have their chance to weigh in and we'll get the decision between now and june. and justice kennedy was one who suggested that maybe it wasn't ready for a decision on
10:39 am
the merits. >> megyn: and round two as they look at the defense of marriage act defines marriage between a man and woman. shannon, thank you so much. >> reporter: you've got it. >> megyn: for this we want to bring in a specialist, with bill clinton and democratic strategist and maggie, national oshlgs for marriage and currently rights@maggie gallagher.com. you're in an interesting position on this because you've been very active in your advocacy for marriage equality and yet, you work for the guy who signed doma, defense of marriage act, defines marriage between a man and woman into law. and president clinton reversed and no longer likes doma. and do you think you'll he get the decision? >> we're hoping for a big win. the question -- the arguments and the questions that were asked are very interesting as you know, as a lawyer, it's fascinating. it's high drama, high legal drama. this is exciting as legal dr
10:40 am
drama gets. i'm reluctant to get too much into the questions, you never know where the justices are going to end up. the important thing to remember, if the court decides to not issue a ruling or substantive ruling on the merits. if they decide to rule procedurally that the case is not ready for the decision. it's one of two lower court rulings is what is going to stand. and both the lower courts in this case ruled in favor of the plaintiffs. so-- >> meaning a win for gay marriage proponents if the supreme court punts on it. >> that's right. so if the court decides not to decide, the plaintiffs, the gay marriage advocates are going to be the winners in this. >> megyn: before i get to maggie, just as a procedural matter, what that will mean the gay marriage-- folks who entered into a gay marriage in california prior to prop 8 which amend the same
10:41 am
constitution to ban gay marriages, those will be legal and others will be free to marry as well if they're gay or lesbian. >> if you entered into a marriage during the 18 month period where marriage was legal. your marriage has been declared and nobody questions that. what would happen is, if the supreme court issues a procedural ruling then marriage would again be legal in california because one of those two lower court rulings would take effect. >> megyn: they both upheld gay marriage. the right-- and both lower courts upheld there was a right to marriage-- >> let me say, even though that case in california is limited, the advocates, the legal odd couple, david boise and ted olson, one liberal and one conservative, they were up against each other representing the would-be presidents in bush v gore. they came together a liberal
10:42 am
and conservative to argue even though that court ruling is limited this high court should expand the ruling, it's time for the court to declare the right of same-sex couples to marry, a constitutional right and forget how limited the lower ruling was, this country is now ready for gay marriage to be declared lawful as the constitution. >> and roughly half the american people believe strongly that marriage is the union of husband and wife and that the unions that make new lives, they connect their children to a mother and father and for the supreme cou court, to brand high school a bigotry and racial discrimination would not end the culture wars, it would entrench them and take away something precious, right of 7 million californians to use the democratic process to make our case to the american people. i think trying to persuade the american people that the constitution drafted by our
10:43 am
fathers gay marriage as a long stretch and i'm hopeful that the supreme court will uphold prop 8. >> megyn: before we get to that. there was a time in the country when interracial marriage was not lawful and the supreme court had to step in and say that's wrong, under the equality protection law whites can marry blacks and states are not free to tell them otherwise and those who advocate on this issue say it's another iteration of that. >> yeah, i think that there was no time in american history where interracial marriage was never permitted. there were some states that banned it it. this is really a different question, it's a question of whether our classic understanding of marriage as it's known across time and history for generations, a union of man and a woman, is rooted in irrational bigotry toward gay people or whether it has its own integrity and reason for being. and i understand many people are making that argument, but it's an argument that really says that the views of half the american people are not worthy of any respect and that
10:44 am
this issue should be taken away from the american people and given to the courts and i think that's just wrong. >> megyn: richard, even though the polls are showing much more support among the american people for gay marriage than say ten years ago, the courts seem to be struggling whether we're there yet, to where, you can sort of accept that the country is really behind this. and that's what justice kennedy seems-- the swing vote on this according to both sides, that's what he seemed to be grappling with and you heard shannon bream heard how he mentioned on the one hand you've got 40,000 children in california who have gay parents and they want to see their marriages recognized, but on the other hand you've got tradition behind traditional marriage and i think we actually have that sound bite. cue that up and see if we can listen to justice kennedy. >> i think there's substantial -- there's substance to the point that the sociological information is new, we have five years of information to weigh against 2000 years of history or more. on the other hand--
10:45 am
>> there we go. then he goes on from there to talk about on the other hand you've got immediate injury to 40,000 children and shannon bream outlined what he said there. your thoughts on that, richard. >> you know, i think it's very normal and customary for courts to want to rule as narrowly as possible and that's one of the reasons why i think especially in this case, and tomorrow, the doma case. in the proposition 8 case there are several ways-- >> let me address you, we only have a minute until the hard break and address maggie's point and the justice's point 2000 years of history to a recent trend in favor of gay marriage. >> i think the court, the supreme court especially does look to public opinion and where public opinion is. i think our constitution evolved in a lot of areas and women didn't have the right to vote and we're allowed segregated schools and the constitution is a document and our understanding of it especially is an understanding that evolved. whether or not the country is
10:46 am
ready for this, i think that that is exactly the question that the justices are going to be asking themselves and only they can answer it. >> megyn: we will find out by june. and i doubt we're going to get anything sooner, but interesting to watch. thank you both so much. >> thank you, megyn. >> megyn: good so see you again. up next, greg gutfeld versus jim carrey. when you have diabetes...
10:47 am
your doctor will say get smart about your weight. that's why there's glucerna hunger smart shakes. they have carb steady, with carbs that digest slowly to help minimize blood sugar spikes. [ male announcer ] glucerna hunger smart. a smart way to help manage hunger and diabetes. no they don't. hey son. have fun tonight. ♪ ♪ back against the wall ♪ ain't nothin to me ♪ ain't nothin to me [ crowd murmurs ] hey! ♪ [ howls ]
10:48 am
10:49 am
♪ i don't wanna be right [ record scratch ] what?! it's not bad for you. it just tastes that way. [ female announcer ] honey nut cheerios cereal -- heart-healthy, whole grain oats. you can't go wrong loving it. >> growing outrage over a new hollywood skit taking aim in the american gun control debate. >> called cold dead hand and in it jim carrey pokes fun at gun supporters and past n.r.a. president charlton heston who died in 2008. it alludes to a convention speech mr. heston once made. take a look. >> from my cold dead hands. (cheers) >> that's when you'll get his
10:50 am
gun. and take a look at jim carrey's clip on funny or die. ♪ only the devil's true devoted could profiteer from pain and fear ♪ ♪ charlton heston's movies are no longer in demand ♪ ♪ angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned ♪ ♪ 'cause they can't pry that gun from his cold dead hand ♪ >> greg gutfeld is co-host of "the five" and i don't remember seeing you so fired up. the most pathetic thing of his career and hope he ended in a car the way his life began. that's greg. >> that's usually how i feel on mondays in general in a bitter, bitter mood. >> megyn: usually taking it out on bob. >> finally bob and i agree on something. you know, the thing that -- it's not anger or rage because
10:51 am
that's in effect what they want and i think you're being too kind about the guy. it wasn't about gun owners, it was an attack on southerners, midwesterners, people with a drawl. >> megyn: why, because of the hee-haw reference? >> yeah, that's the funny thing about it, he was parodying hee-haw, which is a parody, it was a moving parody of the south what hee-haw was. the fact that he doesn't know that shows how stupid he is. he's really a moron. >> megyn: let me ask you about it, why get so worked up. it's funny or die, who cares what jim carrey has to say? >> if you're somebody that's trying to be edgy. this is his idea after risk, as edgy was a handball. how is this brave? making fun of a person who is not alive and defending himself. bill schultz on red eye, if you ignore it, then it it doesn't get any play, i'm going like, maybe charlton heston doesn't have that choice, i do. and there is he' this other
10:52 am
argument that he's a comedian and comedians do things and make a joke so they carve out their area of free speech. >> megyn: that's what funny or die does. >> how does it stop me from being able to comment on it. why can't i say it sucks and call him a coward. >> megyn: how is he a coward. what about what he did was cowardly. the heston thing i get. >> it's pretty gross, i think and the other thing is going after a group of people without knowing who they are. i don't think that jim carrey hangs out in the south or the midwest. >> megyn: probably takes their money at the box office. >> probably won't last among. and poking fun at them for owning guns which is a luxury he doesn't have to worry about because he has a bodyguard already that is armed and i'm certain that his house is well surrounded and incredibly secure. so he never really has to pack heat. there are people in rural communities that have shotguns, handguns for reasons
10:53 am
for police don't get there in time. he will never have to worry about that. i think this issue is kind of cool to do for a celebrity, especially an insecure one that's seeking validation through some kind of pseudo intellectual cause and here is a guy that's never really been validated as a smart person. >> megyn: and i want to ask you about that hi-- because jim carrey is not so averse to guns in movies and finance. that's next. with wholesome noodles and bite sized chicken, nothing brings you together like chicken noodle soup from campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. to prove to you that aleve is the better choice for him, he's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with him all day
10:54 am
as he goes back to taking tylenol. i was okay, but after lunch my knee started to hurt again. and now i've got to take more pills. ♪ yup. another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. ♪ [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap.
10:55 am
10:56 am
>> co-host of "the life", greg gutfeld. he's there and somewhat provocative on this bit and on twitter he got meaner. cold dead hand is about you heartless mother--
10:57 am
unwilling to bend for the sate of your kids. and they don't feel the same, but some parents say we don't want a gun ban and don't think that it will solve anything. and one of the parents of christina greene killed, when gabby giffords was shot came ought to say-- and i can see both sides of the debate. the second amendment was never my-- i never thought about it this much, but it is self-righteous jerks, sanctimonious turds like jim carrey makes you choose sides and i don't like the way he talks to people and makes the tweets and then he disappears, crawls under a
10:58 am
rock, more like look how daring i am, i think it's because he's trying to appeal to the hollywood puppeteers,'s a marionette and he's fading and saying i'm relevant, i'm not aging. >> megyn: that's a medium he's used guns to his advantage many times. many of his movies feature him in various characters, using guns, shooting things up and it's fine for him to use promote it when he's making money off it. but in your hoown home you think that you're he a heartless mf-er. >> and use guns the way that they use cars, useful as part of their lives. for him it's something that helps him make a lot of money in movies and happens to be some beefy guy that has one in his pocket when he goes out to awards shows and makes sure he doesn't get mobbed by the
10:59 am
regular people. >> megyn: of which you are not one. >> no, i'm-- >> thanks for being here, gregger. when she was acquitted of murdering her roommate in italy. some called it tactics by an italian prosecutors. and what does it mean that she's been order today face a retrial? and part of the president's health care law, why is it asking people whether they're registered to vote. significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems.
11:00 am
tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. if you're still having difficulty breathing, ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function. get your first full prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com.
11:01 am
11:02 am
>> fox news alert. a growing question about the fate of american amanda knox after italy's highest court in a reversal ordered a knew trial in the murder of her roommate. welcome to "america live," i'm megyn kelly. and amanda called the ruling painful. and italy's supreme court effectively throwing out her acquittal in the murder of her british roommate meredith kirscher, and the sensational
11:03 am
case is back again in the media spotlight. she was an exchange student studying in italy when she and her then boyfriend were arrested for meredith's murder. they were convicted two years later for killing meredith ki kirscher called a drug-fueled sex game and said they weren't there that night and some other guy is in prison for having murdered meredith, but the prosecution claims this couple was in on it. after 2011 she served four years in prison a panel of judges overturned her conviction and released them, but unlike the u.s., prosecutors in italy can appeal and ask for a retrial if they lose a case. no double-jeopardy over in italy. joining me now to discuss this arthur aidala and a he has lawyers in italy and knows the system swell. with all due respect a lot of
11:04 am
the criminal prosecutions over there are corrupt and have corrupt prosecutors who don't follow the law like we would in the united states. >> i have the right to remain silent, and it's a different system. it's long. i mean, you know, right here in new york city. and to give context, from the date of a homicide, within 12, maybe 16 months there is a disposition, this case is going on and on and on and on. >> megyn: and even when you get acquitted you're not acquitted. is there going to be a trial? does she need to attend? >> italy's version of the united states supreme court, the highest court in the land of italy was brought an appeal by the prosecutors, which is pa foreign thing for us, and that's not allowed to happen in america. that court has ruled nothing to do with the facts of the case. it's the procedures of the case. so it would be like at the nfl says we're not talking about the players, but the referee got it wrong when he said that there was a penalty and should not have been a penalty and
11:05 am
what the court has now is three months. they have 90 days, this high court. to now give the details of what they thought was wrong and how they want the next procedure to go forward. there's a lot around dna. what are they going to allow in and how are they going to let it in? there may be instances where just the transcript is read to the new panel. >> megyn: and there were so many problems with the dna evidence against amana knox and raphael. i don't know whether they had anything to do with it, but the dna evidence is highly, highly questionable and that's what led to the conviction being overturned. here is what i want to know. she's living in washington state now, she's back on united states soil. she says she has no plans of going to italy for any retrial. can they make her? let's forget how it's going to turn out. are they going to make her attend or does she have to. >> my understanding, let's face it, it's complicated and international laws and international treaties involved here and interpoll
11:06 am
and those kinds of things. and within 90 days the high court is going to say how they want to proceed. it's not going back to-- there's only one court with the same judges, it's going to florence now, going to a different venue. my understanding is she does not need to be there, but, however, this ruling may articulate, the one that's coming down in the next thee months. it's going to talk about what evidence can come in, what can't come in and how it comes in. >> megyn: what if they-- she's not going to go to this trial. so they're going to have the trial, she's not going to be there. son what solicito is going to do. and maybe show up. i don't know, get out of italy. >> his lawyer has a complicated argument. >> megyn: if i was his lawyer, get out of italy and go with ex-girlfriend amanda. >> and in southern italy. >> megyn: never leave. let's say they try them and conviction, worst case
11:07 am
scenario. >> now it gets appealed and appealed again. >> megyn: forget the appeals. and the final verdict in the case is you are guilty of murder. does-- do we have to send her back there? do we extradite to italy? >> italy goes to interpol, the international police and put a red alert warrant for her arrest and i don't know, a lot of countries, a lot, from afghanistan to spain, that would say if she comes through their airport with the passport and they would grab her and bring her back to italy. the united states of america i do not believe is part of that treaty so they would ask the american government and here is the thing. our government recognizes double-jeopardy. you can't be tried twice for the same crime so my understanding is we would say, we're sorry italy. if you said she killed someone and ran to america, we would bring her back, but you guys had your day in court. >> megyn: you acquitted her. >> the evidence was presented and the evidence found her in
11:08 am
the to be guilty of these crimes, we don't allow you to do it and please don't do it in america-- >> violates our laws and policy and constitution to allow her to try her after acquittal. >> and the laws of double-jeopardy is a foundation this have country. the government gets one crack at you. if they fail, it's over. >> megyn: over. and provide-- so the bottom line would be, if she gets convicted in italy, she can never go back to italy and she can actually never travel to a whole-- as you mentioned dozens of countries, all of europe, i mean, afghanistan, she probably doesn't want to go to, but fiji, a lot of great countries. >> can we talk-- this is italy. >> megyn: yeah. >> how many stories have you done about silvio berlusconi being convicted sentence today life in prison and he's on his yacht in the mediterranean with mayor bloomberg and-- >> would you trust that to work for you? >> no, but the italian government, i don't think, even if this is going to take years. we're going to be sitting in
11:09 am
this building in 2016 talking about this literally. i don't think that the italian government at the end of it is going to put all of their resources and coming to america and fighting our government to get amanda knox. >> megyn: and a consideration of tourism. they want american tourists and exchange students. they had their day in court and they convicted her and threw out that conviction and what, i mean, do you want to send your child as an italian exchange. i was in italy, but i wouldn't want to send my kid now that i see he this. >> you're hitting the nail on the head. the expression the italian uses, when america sneezes italy catches a cold. the number one destination in europe. parents don't want see-- anyone walks into the room and someone is dead is in trouble even even there's an airtight alibi. that's the point.
11:10 am
i don't think the italian government is go to be beating their chest, we want amanda knox. >> megyn: and on the bright side, florence is so beautiful. >> the best. >> megyn:. [speaking italian] >> megyn speaks italian. >> megyn: all right. ciao bella. there you have it. meantime, the kirschner family has a different view. the sister says they're not happy to go to court and it won't bring meredith back, but it's important to understand the truth about what happened that night. again, as i mentioned, some guy is already in prison having been convicted of this crime, but he wound up saying the other two had something to do with it after he was interviewed by prosecutors and so, amanda and raphael still not off the hook. fox news alert on america's newest millionaire. new jersey and who won the
11:11 am
$338 million jackpot powerball. he's set to speak to the media and come before the cameras any moment. his paper is pedro quezada. and his money after taxes, 152 million cash. oh, so good. we'll bring you his reaction live here in just a little bit. we're also tracking a developing story about a disturbing new threat from north korea. north korea warning today that its weapons are poised and ready to target the u.s. mainland, hawaii, guam and south korea. the north threatened a nuclear attack on america, but the latest development comes with tensions already extremely high on the korean peninsula and a miscalculation on either side could be potentially devastating. national security correspondent jennifer griffin has more live at the pentagon.
11:12 am
jennifer? >> well, the pentagon spokesman says this is a well-worn pattern of bellicose threats of north korea's young leader, kim jong-un who warned his artillery and rocket forces have entered a combat posture. the u.s. military is concerned about anything that might destabilize the area. and that he's taking rhetoric where it shouldn't go. and the new provocation plan, but would create a better combined structure between the u.s. and south koreans. and the u.s. is concerned because of advances in north korean long range rocket technology as evidenced by this satellite launch in december. its he row sent nuclear tests and now today's threat to place 20,000 long range artillery units on high alert. the u.s. and south korea are caring out their annual military exercises until april 30th and the pentagon is
11:13 am
concerned that after those exercises end, that kim jong-un will be forced to do something provocative to show that these are not empty threats. during the current exercises the u.s. military has flown b-52 flights over north korea. the recent on march 25th, yesterday, according to the pentagon and remember they're capable of carrying a nuclear weapon, a clear message to the north korean leader, today's threat comes on the same day that south koreans are marking two years ago when 46 of their sailors were killed by a presumed north korean torpedo. megyn. >> megyn: jennifer griffin, thank you. and i forgot to talk to arthur aidala about something. and anything, arthur. >> and ten years ago, w to add eyebrows and every hair on my body. i don't know, used to be a little handsome. >> megyn: i think you look
11:14 am
better now. >> really. >> megyn: and so mysterious. >> i'm going to the supreme court tomorrow to hear the arguments in person. that's serious. >> megyn: enjoy that. >> looking forward to it. >> megyn: and work on that picture. >> i will, give you my stylist. >> megyn: hair people. and coming up, there are questions in washington now over why an application to sign up for obamacare, including voter registration questions and we will have possibly answers after the break and plus, mark kelly the husband of gabby giffords and an anti-gun advocate, he wants a gun ban akin to what dianne feinstein is suggesting and he made nice when he purchased an ar-15 from a gun shop to show how easy it was to get one. and the man who owns that gun shop is making news. and world renowned dr. ben carson of is making news, and some calling him a quote, token.
11:15 am
and he's here with a response. >> in 2009 some of the wealthiest families in america pledg pledged give away half their wealth. go somewhere else and ask families to give away half their wealth. they'll look at you as if you have two heads. it's not the government's responsibility, but it's our responsibility as citizens. [ female announcer ] the only patch for the treatment
11:16 am
of mild to moderate alzheimer's disease is exelon patch. now with more treatment options, exelon patch may improve overall function and cognition.
11:17 am
your loved one can get a free 30-day trial. and you can have access to nurses. it does not change how the disease progresses. hospitalization, and rarely death, have been reported from wearing more than one patch at a time. the most common side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fall, loss of appetite or weight, application site redness, and urinary tract infection. the likelihood and severity of these side effects may increase as the dose increases or if patients weigh less than 110 pounds. people at risk for stomach ulcers who take certain other medicines should talk to their doctor as serious stomach problems such as bleeding may worsen. patients may experience slow heart rate. free trial offer for them. nurses to talk to for you. visit exelonpatchoffer.com. ♪
11:18 am
>> well, there's a question today about part of the government's new application for health insurance under obamacare. at one point in the application it asks the applicant if they would like to register to vote. one republican lawmaker is now calling that question and its placement inappropriate and sending a letter to health and human services secretary kathleen sebelius demanding an explanation. joining me now for a fair and balanced debate, syndicated radio talk show host and chris
11:19 am
plante host of the chris plante show. so, chris, this republican lawmaker comes out and says to miss sebelius, look, the question is asked in a way that seems to be suggesting to somebody that their voter registration is somehow tied to their eligibility for a subsidy under obamacare and therefore, he has problems with it. your thoughts? >> well, it turns out that this is normal for public assistance application forms across the board. because democrats recognize that this is one of their constituencies, and they want to recruit people and line people up, you know, as soon as they can at every possible opportunity. i think, you know, i think everyone should vote. i think everyone should register to vote because then you can legally vote, but i think that the democrats certainly see this as an opportunity and the obama administration to appeal to a target audience, that is people signing up for obamacare. what really threw me on this one, was that the application for obamacare is 61 pages
11:20 am
long. now, you can buy real estate in virginia with about eight pages. now, i don't know what you need 61 pages. that's what threw me for a loop. that's longer and-- >> and it's not surprising a lot of questions asked before they give you government subsidized health insurance. but chris accurately references the law which requires, let me get it right, an opportunity for voter registration through any office that provides public assistance. and that's pursuant to the national voter registration act back in 1993. so the government appears to feel that this is basically government assistance. akin to medicaid or food stamps, if you will, and they're trying to help those people who are applying, register to vote. is there anything wrong with doing that? >> not at all. and obviously, this is not something done, since you mentioned, megyn, in 1993. my calendar shows me that barack obama wasn't president
11:21 am
then, and quite frankly, nor was a democrat at that time. or '92, yes, there was a democrat in place, but there was a republican in between that time, chris, so this isn't something democrat or republican. this is, like you said, a required question when anyone applies for public assistance and americans aren't stupid. the question is, and specifically, would you like to register to vote? that doesn't tie into, you know, to the affordable care act or to any public assistance program. and what i think happens here is, you know, some of the guys, not you necessarily, chris. you know, many republicans, we've seen governor chris christie, governor rick scott move on, embrace the affordable care act and open t the-- for the expanding medicaid and some are angry, giving up repeal and replace. my mom says if you look hard enough, you find something. and this, as shakespeare would say, much ado about nothing.
11:22 am
and exactly what the american people don't want our politicians in washington to be doing. >> megyn: is there something? again, this is just -- it's charles who is arguing about this, who is writing to kathleen sebelius wanting to know where it's placed where it was placed on the particular form. he says it's asked after the medicaid specific questions and again on the review and sign portion. after the applicants learn of eligibility status of the insurance policies and invited to file a complaint of discrimination and seems too think there's a message telegraphed to people i suppose how they should register to vote? >> well, i think it's implied if you're signing up for barack obama's signature piece of legislation, which i'm glad we're now admitting leslie is a form of welfare, that's the grandest new entitlement program. >> i didn't say that. >> well, it's certainly implicit in everything that's being said here. and it is, i mean, i don't care whether there was a republican in between.
11:23 am
this is a democrat effort to target their audience to sign them up. now, if we're signing people up, registering people to vote that sign up for the military, that are buying firearms and do the things that pro-american people do, then you have to offset the registration of the democrats here and i'm marvelling at the 61 pages. if you can fill out 61 pages of government forms, you know, what are you doing on the dole? you should be taking the bar exam. and this 61-page application for welfare. so, it is welfare, right, leslie? >> no, it is not welfare, chris and i love how you painted we democrats as not bei american or anybody on medicare, medicaid and-- >> that's not how i paint it, it's a complete misrepresentation of what i said. >> anybody, anybody who's going to sign up for the affordable care act, you know, would be a democrat. no he, actually, chris, i don't think it's about political ideology, i think
11:24 am
it's about people need care and the government can provide it accordbly for that and they're going to take advantage of that because. >> megyn: i've got to go. >> trillions more than the president said it's going to contribute to bankruptcy of the country and not affordable. >> megyn: got to leave it at that and we will enjoy the 61 pages. thank you both. a mother calls cops on her own children, but an effort to teach them respect ends her in handcuffs. @e chooep @8ñúñ÷@@@0@ú
11:25 am
morning, brian! love your passat! um. listen, gary. i bought the last one. nice try. says right here you can get one for $199 a month. you can't believe the lame-stream media, gary. they're all gone. maybe i'll get one. [ male announcer ] now everyone's going to want one. you can't have the same car as me, gary! i'm gettin' one. nope! [ male announcer ] volkswagen springtoberfest is here and there's no better time to get a passat. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease one of four volkswagen models for under $200 a month. visit vwdealer.com today.
11:26 am
11:27 am
>> well, new evidence of a leadership crisis in egypt. a prominent blogger turns himself in a day after the order comes for his arrest. the egyptian government accuses him of instigating last week's clashes against activists and the muslim brotherhood in cairo because he posted comments on social
11:28 am
media. there are growing concerns that president morsi's government will continue using these protests against his allies in the muslim brotherhood as an excuse to round up political opponents to crack down on the press and others. we'll continue to watch it. new fallout after an arizona gun store owner puts the brakes on an attempt to make a political point about the ease of buying firearms. trace gallagher live with the tra latest. >> trace: when mark kelly walked into the gun shop to buy the military tile weapon, everybody was kind of wondering exactly why he did it and kelly said the reason he bought the gun was to show how easy it is to get a firearm that he is now lobbying congress to ban and saying, i'm quoting here, it's important for me to have firsthand knowledge about how easy it is or difficult it is to buy a weapon like that. now the gun shop, diamond back police believe in tucson, has
11:29 am
decided to cancel mark kelly's purchase, saying again quoting here, while i support mark kelly's right to purchase, possess and use firearms in a safe and responsible manner, his recent statements to the media made it clear that his intent in purchasing the rifle from us was for reasons other than for his personal use. and kelly actually never took possession of the gun because the shop bought it from a customer and tucson city ordinance requires the shop hold the gun for 20 days to make sure it was never used in a crime and mark kelly never got the gun and the gun store says they'll give his money back and they say they've sent the money back and donate the gun to tucson police. mark kelly, by the way, was also planning to donate the rifle to the tucson police department. megyn. >> megyn: it winds up in the same place. trace, thank you. and in a few weeks, since dr. ben carson got attention for challenging the president's
11:30 am
health care plan and some of his economic policies. he has been called a conservative token, an oreo, and worse. he joins us live here next on some of those attacks. a growing majority of americans have come to believe it's time to allow marriage for gay and lesbian couples. here's why. our daughter, emma. a gay couple in my ministry. my sister-in-law. my brother, octavio. a business partner. our moms. my son. my sister irene, a police officer. my brother keyan. my neighbor. our godson. it's time to give gay and lesbian couples the freedom to marry. it's time for marriage.
11:31 am
11:32 am
11:33 am
> >> about the days that we use our resources, use our money
11:34 am
and you know, in 2009, 40th of wealthiest families in america pledged to give away half of their wealth to charity. go someplace else in the world and ask 40 of the wealthiest families to give away half their wealth. they'll look at you like you've got six heads. this is america, we take care of our own and it's not the government's responsibility, it's our responsibility. >> megyn: that was renowned pediatric neurosurgeon ben carson speaking about taking care of each other in america and recently challenged president obama with what he calls the crisis with our families. in 2011 the marriage rate hit an all-time low of 51%. only 63% of children lived in a house with two parents and
11:35 am
41% of single mothers households live below the poverty line. the doctor has a different idea and boy has he been skewered for some of his ideas. and dr. ben carson joins us. he's the pediatric neurosurgeon at johns hopkins. you've spoken out and you believe in some extent in some of our towns, a culture of victimization which i want to get to with you. but because of your message on that and other others some of which you've been critical of the president on and some not so much. boy, have you been attacked. a token you've been called, an oreo, please pardon me for repeating this to you, and most recently a commentator on a rival network because you're smart and helpful in assuaging white people's guilt and enjoying the g.o.p.'s version
11:36 am
of affirmative action and people get to put on a bumper sticker, how could i be racist, i would have voted for dr. ben carson. your response. >> if you don't have anything useful to say you attack people. if you feel your house of cards has been discovered and is starting to come unraveled, you become very desperate. you know, intelligent people tend to talk about the facts, they don't sit around and call each other names and that's what you can find on a third grade playground and this is something we need to move beyond in this country and let's have a real discussion about the real facts. if somebody disdegrees, let's talk about why they disagree, let's talk about the pros and cons and let's see if we can find some accommodation, but to sit around and act like third graders is nonproductive. >> so quick to dismiss your ideas because they're coming from a man who happens to be a black man and condoleezza rice actually was on the fox news channel a couple of years ago,
11:37 am
speaking to our own sean hannity and she said, because she was subjected to some of this, if you look at a black person and you say that person has to think in a particular way, i don't care if you're white or black, if you say that, then you've got a prejudice, then you are the one with the prejudice. do you think that the people who just dismiss you as a token, have a prejudice of their own? >> oh, well, there's no question. they feel if you look a certain way then you have to stay on the plantation, you know i've heard when people refer to me as an uncle tom. obviously they don't know what an uncle tom is because they need to read the novel, uncle tom's cabin to see that he was very, very subserviant, kind of go along to get along type person. obviously, that's not what i'm doing. and what the left frequently does and some aspects of the right, too, they try to make life so unpleasant for anybody who disagrees with them that people will keep silent. and i know that it's working
11:38 am
because so many people come up to me and say, thank you, thank you for having the courage to express this and in the same way i feel. but most people won't speak up. i'm trying to get people to speak up because this country is changing into something else and we need to make sure that we really want it to change into something else and not just end up there and ask ourselves how did we get there. >> megyn: and i know that, i mean, most people who get attacked in this country, whether it's cable news people or doctors or what have you, they get attacked because they're considered a threat. i mean, if you were not effective in your message they would dismiss you. but you have been a very effective messenger of the ideals that you have and one of them, one of them has been, as i mentioned this belief that in this country we are more and more veering toward viewing ourselves for our own bad luck or our own bad decisions as victims. it's not our fault we're just victims and we need to blame somebody else for it and need somebody else to help us out of that situation. >> and that's correct.
11:39 am
and as i've said many times, and by the way, i should mention the things that i have been talking about are things that i've been talking about for 20 years. so, people who want to call me names now they need to go back and look at what i was saying when they were saying that i was a wonderful person and a hero because they didn't know or they thought that i agreed with them. but the fact of the matter is, you know, the whole problem is that we've allowed certain segments to divide our society up and to make us all into enemies and of course, a house divided against itself cannot stand, but they derive their power from the vision, they derive their relevance from division and i'm hoping that the american people will wake up and see who the real problem is. >> megyn: on the subject of the single parent families and how problematic they have proven to our children, to our literacy rates and so on. you've been outspoken, from detroit, a child of a single mother who helped raise you and put herself--
11:40 am
helped put you through or encouraged you to go to school, you wound up at yale, but you've been wanting folks to speak honestly about what is happening in our inner cities in particular, family implosion. why is this not -- i mean, o'reilly has been talking about this a little bit, but why is this not discussed more? >> because it's become politically incorrect to do so. you know, every life style is now supposed to be equivalent. you know, we're doing basically the same thing that the the romans did before the collapse of the roman empire, when the great wise men with long white beards would wax eloquently on every subject. and nothing was right, nothing was wrong, everything was relative and they kind of lost their identity. and they went right down the tubes. and believe me, if anybody thinks that we're moving upwards through all of this victimization, and division, they really need to examine their ability to analyze things. >> megyn: do you think that we need our president to be more active, more vocal on this
11:41 am
subject. i know having grown up in detroit you look at that city 80% of children raised in single parent homes and literacy rates and a studies from harvard, columbia and princeton, half of 20-something black men unemployed. single parenthood, number one indicator of poverty. do we need our president to focus on this to try to inspire folks to make different choices? >> yes. we need our president, but we need everybody to focus on it because we need to recognize as a society for every one of those young people that we keep from going down that path of self-destruction, that's one less person of would have to be afraid of, protect our families from, one less person we have to pay for in the penal system or the welfare system. one more tax paying productive society. >> megyn: how do you do it? >> we have to place the rehe sour --
11:42 am
resources in the beginning. with carson's fund, we put in reading rooms, title 1 schools, they come from homes with no books and they wind out dropping out and never develop the love of reading which then fosters a better picture of who you are-- >> how did you do it? with a mom who inspired you to lead a different life. >> she made he me read books. i didn't want to, but there are parental discretions that allow you to force children to do things. and interestingly enough you after a while i didn't behind reading those books. we were desperately poor, between the pages of those books, i could be anything, go anywhere and i read about people of accomplishment and it became clear, the person who has the most to do with what happens to you, it's you. and while everybody else was complaining and pointing at
11:43 am
other people, i was sitting there and empowering myself by gaining knowledge and understanding of the world around me. >> megyn: i heard you say on fox not long ago, your mother use today make you guys read, used to make you read a poem by mamie white miller called "yourself to blame" and i pulled this poem and in short i hope the viewers will indulge you you probably know it by heart. here it is. if things go bad for you and make you a bit ashamed often you'll find out you have yourself to blame. swiftly he we ran to mischief and bad luck came. why do we fault others? we have ourselves to blame. whatever happens to us, here are the words we say, had it not been for so-and-so things wouldn't have gone that way. and if you are short of friends i'll tell what you to do make an examination, you'll find the fault in you. you're the captain of your ship so agree with the same, if you travel downward, you have yourself to blame. what does that mean to you? >> i can hear those words every time i made an excuse,
11:44 am
believe me, i heard that poem and you know, it meant that my mother was not going to accept excuses from me or from my brother. so we had to stop looking for excuses. and we had to start looking for solutions. and we learned that relatively early in life, how to solve problems and how not to go around whining and complaining and that's something that's characterized my life. throughout my professional career. you know, when people have said, you know, this can't be done or no one's ever done this before. you know, instead of saying, oh, okay, well, i guess i can't do that. i started looking for ways to make it work, ways that maybe someone else hasn't thought of. and that's what we need to start doing as a nation. we need to develop once again that can-do attitude as opposed to that what can you do for me attitude? that's destroying our nation and destroying the ideal of america and i particularly feel for those who are the
11:45 am
downtrodden in our so-ciety. we have the intellectually elite to basically keep them in that position to continue to keep them the intellectually elite. by saying the right things and not doing the right things. and this is not useful and i want people to wake up, wake up please and don't allow them to pull this sham on you and act like they're your friends. >> megyn: this is a man, speaking of can-do attitude separated conjoined twins. takes a the lot to get to johns hopkins, let alone doctor of pediatric neurology. thank you. >> my pleasure. >> megyn: and i'm fond of quoting brit hume. winners took responsibility. losers blame others and if you live your life by that mantra it only produces success, challenge yourself to do bert and look inside and see if you
11:46 am
can fix the problem. coming up next, an apparent parenting emergency prompts one mother to call the cops on her own children, but she winds up behind bars. >> i need a police officer to he get (bleep) kids. >> excuse me. >> they're not listening to me and they need to learn respect.
11:47 am
11:48 am
11:49 am
. >> trace: kelly's court is back in session. >> megyn: a mom who tried to teach her kids a lesson and ended up in handcuffs herself. melissa could not control her children, ages one and three, so she decided to call for some backup from 911:
11:50 am
>> well, they did come out, however, to arrest and charge her for child neglect and other things, because things went downhill when they got there. joining me now to discuss it. defense attorneys, both are former prosecutors. got more than she bargained for. as the mother of a three and one-year-old, my daughter is almost two, i understand sometimes you get frustrated and they're not the best listeners, but, boy, oh, boy, i don't know that the apple fell far from the tree. let me start with you on this randy. tell me first of all, what happened when the cops showed up and what she got charged with. >> when the police showed up, they were treated to an apparently visibly intoxicated woman with a one-year-old and a three-year-old in tow. apparently, this woman was also on probation, should not have been drinking. things escalated from there when the police actually go to arrest her because the statute says if you act in a manner
11:51 am
likely to be injurious, we don't have to wait for a tragedy or to drop and cigarette a cigarette-- and she wasn't happy about that, she was charged with assaulting a police officer. that's what happened. >> megyn: that's a problem. beating the police officer is a problem that's going to get you arrested every time. let's put that aside. you hit had a cop, you're going to get arrested. the child neglect charge, is it neglectful to be in your home and drunk with two young kids? >> oh, it could be. i mean, if she's not taking care of the children because she's intoxicated that certainly could lead to a child abuse or neglect charge. it could also get child protective services involved. there's not enough fact. we don't know if there's anybody else in the home. i don't know if that's clear or not. if no one is there and able it
11:52 am
care for the kids there could be a basis to arrest her on that charge. we need to look at the beginning of the situation and whether or not the police initially overreacted. because what happened here is, she in essence was calling the police for help. it was a stupid phone call, it's one that she shouldn't have made and it was a misuse of governmental resources, however, was that her intent? her intent was to get help. now, did the police in responding, by going to her house, in order to arrest her, for making that phone call, was that not a bit draconian. >> megyn: did they overreact? >> the easiest way for that analysis. let's pretend that the 911 operator took it upon herself to say, now what? there's nothing going on here, lady, have a nice day. and no police show up. as a woman does fall asleep with a lit cigarette in her hand and burns her house down and kills her kids or gets into the car with the kids and
11:53 am
drives dunk and kilrunk and kil and what kind of conversation we have about the lapse of the police? and the appropriateness of the police behavior. >> i think randy you're looking at this the wrong way. this was not a typical situation where you have an individual calling 911 and reporting that there was a problem at the house. >> megyn: you could hear that she was deteriorating and not in control of the situation. i've got to leave it at that. we're up against a hard break: we went out and asked people a simple question: how old is the oldest person you've known?
11:54 am
we gave people a sticker and had them show us. we learned a lot of us have known someone who's lived well into their 90s. and that's a great thing. but even though we're living longer, one thing that hasn't changed: the official retirement age. ♪ the question is how do you make sure you have the money you need to enjoy all of these years. ♪
11:55 am
11:56 am
we're finally getting to hear from the lucky guy who bought the single winning ticket in the powerball yackpot. 338 millionaire. his old name is pedro, father of five, and he is new new jersey's newest millionaire.
11:57 am
he just had a press conference. i'm so jealous. >> if i had won i would have shared the winnings with you, megyn. talk about the extreme american dream. a five of five. a dominican immigrant, beating the biggest odds of his life. the new jersey lottery holding a news conference moments ago. i asked our producer there to ask the winner what his dreams were when he decided to move to the united states. here's his answer. >> theynever thought i would win such a prize. >> he bought the 2k10 he buys beer and lottery tickets. this time he won the fourth largest powerball jackpot ever and beat the 175 million to one odds. he says he has struggled with
11:58 am
debt for years. he was praying the day would come but never in his wildest dreams did he see this one coming. he owns a deli run by his 23-year-old sob, and $25,000 lien on his business. his son says he knows his dad will do something good with the money. the man is described as hard-working family man, an immigrant, and has known hard times and they're thrilled one of their own has finally struck it witch. ying the quick-pick action, he hit all five numbers. the store owner of eagle liquor get $25,000. it's $152 million for the lump sum option. >> i love that. his dream was to work, and he
11:59 am
made it come true before he won. >> we'll be right back. jackpot. thank you, my friend. >> reporter: sure, see you. >> megyn: we'll be right back.

107 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on