Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  May 8, 2013 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
>> i don't think so. >> he's good. >> i think snarky guy is the greatest thing i have ever seen. i do. caution. >> bill: the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> i have been kidnapped and i have been missing for 10 years and i'm here. i'm free now. >> bill: a stunning kidnapping case in ohio. three girls who disappeared 10 years ago found alive. we'll have the very latest and we will address the question what does this say about america? >> you have considered donating any of your salary from colombia to any of the victims' families? >> bill: jesse watters catches up with convicted terrorist now teaching at columbia university. >> you have to stop that right now. >> i don't care. >> bill: we'll show you what happened and how the university is reacting. >> the country is going to hell. >> bill: also tonight dennis miller wants to talk
1:01 am
about the benghazi hearings which will be held tomorrow and chris christie trying to slim down. caution. you are about to enter the no spin zone, the factor begins right now. >> bill: hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. the bizarre kidnapping case in ohio and what it says about america that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. yesterday, police in cleveland received a 911 call. >>
1:02 am
>> bill: that call led police to a small home where they discovered the caller, 27-year-old amanda berry as well as two other women. 23-year-old gina dejesus and 32-year-old michelle knight. they were all kidnapped 10 years ago allegedly by three brothers. ms. berry has a 6-year-old child who was also removed from the house. the man mentioned in the 911 call aerial castro owned the home and is a former school bus driver. castro was arrested for domestic violence in 1993 but not indicted. castro's two brothers pedro and o'neil are also involved in the abduction according to police. the story is amazing because the kidnapped girls were held captive in the middle of a dense neighborhood. >> i have been here a year. i barbecue with this dude. we eat ribs and whatnot and listen to salsa music. you sigh where i'm coming from? >> had you no indication anything was going on. >> hey, bro, not a clue that that girl was in that house or anybody else was in there against their will. because how he is -- he
1:03 am
just comes out to his backyard, plays with the dogs, tinkers with his cars and motorcycles and goes goes back in the house. you look and look away because he is not doing nothing. >> bill: now the wider implications these kind of kings are rare the fbi says in 2012, 411 americans were abducted by a stranger. the impact of children and young people disappearing is enormous on the public psyche. elizabeth smart case in utah comes to mind. chances are when you were a child your parents let you go out to play unsupervised. mine did. i was out of the house for hours, especially in the summer. but today american children are constantly under supervision with play dates and organized activities almost all the time. rarely are children away from their homes on their own. even most teenagers are not afforded that freedom. american parents are simply frightened. they believe children are at risk in public. that, of course, is a shame because playing on your own develops creativity, independence and social problem solving skills.
1:04 am
the big mystery in ohio is this. how could three women be held against their will in a suburb for all that time? early indications are they were brutalized and complete explanations of what happened will soon be forthcoming. obviously the crime is heinous and will reinforce the perception that although america is a free country, we are also a dangerous nation. the reentle is that kidnapping is ultra rare but there are some very bad people walking the streets of the u.s.a. the crime in ohio just another cautionary tale. and that's the memo. now for the top story tonight. what is going on with the investigation into the three alleged kidnappers. here now fox anchor bill hemmer has been covering this story all day. let's begin with the girls. all right in the three of them, the ages when they were kidnapped? >> michelle knight was 18. >> bill: okay. >> amanda berry was august of 2002. that takes you back about 11 years. amanda berry was 16. she was abducted 8 months after the first one disappeared and then gina
1:05 am
dejesus was a seventh grader about age 14 in april of 2004. they were 12 months rah part. >> bill: they all lived in the same neighborhood. >> relatively speaking. they were all abducted, bill, three and a half no more than four miles away from the home where they were found. >> bill: there has been controversy that the police categorized these crimes as runaways instead of kidnappings and, therefore, did not actively look for the girls. what do you know about that? >> here is what we can report about that tonight. in the first case michelle knight had a son. and apparently there was a custody dispute. and she was very upset as one can imagine. the family says they were talked into it by police that she was a run away. the mother another believed it. she fought every day and she put fliers up all over the neighborhood. never thought for a moment that her daughter would run away. there is no amber alert put out for this first girl. >> bill: she was 20. >> about that. around 20 years old. a little less than that.
1:06 am
>> bill: two younger girls? >> initially they thought that amanda, who disappeared 8 months later now that that that was a run away also. that was quickly dismissed. someone called her mom using her cell phone and said that amanda would return home in a couple of days. after that phone call was made, that's when police moved it away from a run away case to a missing person. >> bill: the seventh grader? >> the 70 grader was picked up around that same spot one year later. and there are reports late tonight that suggest, and get this now, that the man who owned that home, who bought it in 1992 for $12,000, may have known this woman's father. >> bill: all right. so, the three girls are in the home. and now we hear reports there may have been another woman in the home who disappeared. what do you know about that? >> speaking with our fox affiliate, channel 8 in cleveland, ohio, just a short time ago and this is
1:07 am
disturbing stuff. multiple police sources saying that there were three women pregnant multiple times. it's not clear if more than one child was born. but the first abduction michelle knight, she says she was struck over the head, she may also have structural damage to her face. hearing loss is a possibility as well. and she told police when she was first picked up, there was another woman inside the home. >> bill: who disappeared? >> at some point. it's unclear whether it was after a couple days or weeks, months, or even years after that there is a name apparently on the wall in this basement that has not been made public yet. the name has not that said rest in peace. that represented the name of the female. that's what's being reported. >> bill: the three women now are in a safe house being interviewed by not only the local authorities but the fbi because kidnapping is a federal offense. the suspects all have been picked up, expected to be
1:08 am
charged. >> yeah. here is the law in ohio. after an arrest, it's 36 hours. i would expect if it doesn't come late tonight, by noon tomorrow we should get a pretty good idea of charges. the reason why that is important because police told us earlier today in this press conference that wait for the charges you will learn a lot more to come out. i expect that to be the case. >> bill: i think there will be murder charges here because these guys, you know, if there were multiple babies born, and, again, one baby was taken out of the house. the child of ms. berry. but, if there were multiple babies involved, they killed them. >> it's possible. >> bill: probably because you don't take a woman out for an abortion in a hospital or a clinic if you have got them tied into the basement. >> let me just add to that because what police said is that they are interested in other properties as well. >> bill: sure. >> what does that mean? what other homes do the brothers own? >> bill: they have got to live somewhere. >> charges could come as a result of that. what was inside this home? there was a basement, bill.
1:09 am
760 square feet. and is that where all this transpired over the last 10 years? >> bill: had to. you heard the next door neighbor and we believe that the neighbors didn't know anything about it? >> what's interesting about that is that police said not a single neighbor reported a problem at the home in 10 years. >> bill: no. but the police did go to the home i understand. >> they did. but no neighbor reported any problems with him inside the house. >> bill: why did the police go to the home? >> they were told that he was a bus driver. >> bill: castro, aerial castro. >> age 52 now. he left a child unattended on a school bus. they went to the house to question him about it. apparently he wasn't home at the time. they left. they left of the home and thought there was nothing suspicious about it i know earlier today you had neighbors come out and say they heard happening on a door or window. one report that suggests a naked woman was crawling through the backyard. i don't know where those reports go. >> bill: we will. >> but we will find out. >> bill: yeah. we will find out. all right, bill. we appreciate it thanks very much.
1:10 am
next on the run down another sensational crime jodi arias may be executed if found guilty of killing her boyfriend. the jury has the case. we will have the latest. jesse watters tracking down convicted terrorists now teaching at columbia university. wait until you see this. we're coming right back.
1:11 am
1:12 am
1:13 am
>> bill: impact segment tonight. waiting the verdict in the jody jodi arias. the jury has the case and has been deliberating for three days. joining us from phoenix is attorney monica lindstrom who spent a lot of time in the courtroom. what's taking so long? >> well, bill, it's quite a case. we all know it's a death penalty case so the jury is having to go over a lot of evidence four months worth of notes that they were
1:14 am
taking in the courtroom as well as 22 pages of jury instructions and four different verdict forms. so it takes quite a bit of time just to get it all straight in your head what you have to do. >> now, the jury in this case, some people not following the trial were able to directly ask questions of all the witnesses. >> yeah. >> so they haven't said to the judge let us read back some stuff and this, and that. they pretty much have what has been said. now, but very important in this case, the summations by the prosecutor and by the defense attorney. role the tape. >> thinking. it is premeditated. go up to this individual. someone that you planned to kill for days. someone which whom she has been intimate with and then attack him. >> it's not even about whether or not you like jodi arias. nine days out of 10 i don't
1:15 am
like jodi arias. >> there is nothing about what happened on june 4th in that bathroom that looks planned. nothing. >> all right. so, the defense attorney basically telling the jury that she killed him. all right? >> yes. >> what good does that do? admitting that his client is a murderer, is he not? >> well, he is and she actually admitted that on the stand that she was the one that killed travis alexander. the reason why the defense attorney is bringing that out is because he knows that there is no way she is going to walk from this so he wants the jury to concentrate on a manslaughter charge. and here in arizona, a manslaughter can be the heat of passion or the sudden quarrel. so he is trying to take the jury into the room and say, look, do you see how messy it is? there is blood everywhere. this is not the scene of a cold, calculated premedited murder. this is someone that basically just snapped and got upset and killed them. >> so she is trying to get
1:16 am
it down so she doesn't get executed and spend the rest of her life in prison. >> yeah. >> who has the stronger argument the prosecution which says there is no question this woman killed the guy, she planned it out because she had an escape route. she went out and cock cocketted all of this abuse business and whatever it was. who had the stronger argument? the prosecution or the defense in summation? >> the prosecution did. he had so much evidence to use. she planned this crime. there was the gun evidence that was stolen from her grandparents and then the same type of gun was used in this case. she had gas cans in the back of her car because she didn't want any indication she was in arizona. she changed rental cars. there is allegations that she changed the color of her hair. so the state had a lot of very, very strong premeditation evidence which is why a lot of people are very surprised that the jury is still out deliberating this case. >> bill: okay. but you said they have so much paperwork to do that that might be -- but. >> exactly. >> bill: the longer it
1:17 am
stays out the better it is juror jodi arias, correct? >> that's the rule of thumb. longer they take to deliberate the more disagreement there is. the more they are trying to figure things out. that usually bodes well for the defendant. but not always. >> bill: okay. remind the audience what the composition of the jury is as far as gender is concerned. >> we have got 8 men and four women. we started with 18 jurors, some were kicked off and then we got rid of some of the alternates and now we are down to 12 with 8 men and four women. >> bill: your assessment of the jury. are they perceptive in your opinion? >> oh, yes, they have been asking excellent questions. they have been paying attention the whole time. the age range is probably mid 30's up to mid 60's. and americulpa county has typically conservative juries. i think they are taking their time. dotting their i's. crossing their t's and making sure that they are making the right decision. because, bill, this is a death penalty case.
1:18 am
>> bill: absolutely. no doubt about it americoal -- americulpa county spending $2 million on this case. it's a lot of money. it's a lot of money on this case. courtroom, thank you. directly ahead, big day ahead in washington. whistle blowers will testify about the assassination of the american ambassador to libya. crowley and colmes will analyze. later, dennis miller has thoughts about benghazi as well. we we we are coming right
1:19 am
1:20 am
1:21 am
>> bill: factor follow up segment tonight, the house year sight committee will begin hearings tomorrow about the assassination of u.s. ambassador christopher stephens and three other americans in benghazi, libya. three whistle blowers are expected to testify and that could be very bad news for former secretary of state here now is pregame analysis monica crowley and alan colmes.
1:22 am
i don't want to do any speculation. all right? expect that hillary clinton, first of all will be damaged by tomorrow's testimony? >> well, i think based on what we know so far, the preliminary stuff we have gotten as to what these whistle blowers behalf say tomorrow, i think hillary clinton is, in fact, a central figure in the scandal, if not the central figure in the scandal. three quick reasons. one, she, or her department, turned down repeated requests for security leading up to the attack even though benghazi was a long-time terrorist strong hold. repeated attempts against our compound there before the september 11th attack. secondly on the night of the attack, there is word from one of these whistle blowers, bill, that she actually cut out the state department's counter terrorism unit. they deny that. we will see what the testimony. >> bill: by cut out she didn't keep them informed. >> she actively eliminated them from the chain of information and command. that would be huge. and then she was awol the rest of the night when americans were under fire. and the third point and i think
1:23 am
this may be the most important and damaging one to her. state department along with the white house, based on what we are hearing so far. altered the facts, you know, people talk about talking points. that sounds like somebody just edited a speech. no, they actually altered the facts to eliminate all references to al qaeda, on sar al sharia the al qaeda group that claimed credited for this islamic terror. that laid groundwork for the big lie that then moved forward. >> bill: okay. you say, colmes? >> i said i had thomas pickering the ambassador who co-chaired the accountability review board with the chairman joint chiefs of staff mike mullen who said there was absolutely nothing that went untoward here in terms of the time they could not get help to benghazi quickly enough. one of the people who is going to testify tomorrow greg hits, deputy chief u.s. embassy did not tell him although now is he saying that he tried to get help from italy and he was denied or they were denied. the pentagon denied that now he is saying.
1:24 am
>> bill: pickering former u.n. ambassador. he was appointed by hillary clinton by the way on the accountability review board not to impugn his honesty. >> he bunt impugn him either. >> bill: their report that he signed said that there was a systemic failure. >> right. >> bill: about leaving the facility in benghazi. what was that failure. >> told me there were four people who were at risk here at least who did not do the right thing. >> bill: what was the failure. >> he didn't say what the failure was. >> bill: why didn't you ask him? >> we didn't get time to talk about the whole report. >> bill: wait. the headline of the report, colmes, is that -- this is the headline, there is a systemic failure that left the facility inadequately protected. what was it. >> can i tell that you didn't come up. >> bill: you didn't ask him. >> that was not the issue. what he said was. >> bill: that's the headline. why didn't ask you him. >> that was not what he we talked about. >> bill: why didn't you ask what the red redhead line of the report was. >> responsible for the systemic
1:25 am
failure what he said was four people he recommended no longer work there. >> bill: it what was the systemic failure. >> he didn't say. >> bill: why didn't you push him. >> i didn't push him on that. >> bill: here is the point i'm trying to get across. this is a partisan play now. okay? the obama people are going to do what colmes did. try to make sure that nothing bad comes out and the people don't like obama are going to try to hang the president and hillary clinton. that's a tough one. because now it's a partisan issue rather than a truth issue. so what we're going to do here is be very, very precise. that's why i scolded you. this is the headline by mullen and by pickering appointed by hillary clinton. it was a systemic failure the american people need to know what the failure was and who exactly was responsible. now, do you believe, monica crowley. >> yes. >> bill: that hillary clinton and/or president obama is
1:26 am
responsible for the systemic failure. >> yes. >> bill: do you. >> the buck always stops with the person in charge or at least should. >> bill: hands on, hands on, are they responsible. >> you had americans under fire. where was the secretary of state who directly responsible for these people and where was the commander and chief in war zone. >> bill: hillary clinton put out, i have the paper in my hand, a time line where she says she was very involved in every aspect of it that's what she says. >> well the arb just quickly. >> bill: i only have a minute. >> under internal investigation because they didn't interview hillary or any of these benghazi whistle blowers. >> bill: you monica crowley believe that hillary clinton and president obama are responsible for the quote, unquote, systemic failure. >> yes. >> bill: you obviously do not. >> seems like a partisan witch-hunt and clearly a partisan issue here. >> bill: there are democrats on the committee. >> has been have obama since day one. based on what pickering said and monica said under lings
1:27 am
involved and not clinton and obama himself. >> the question here i don't think either obama or hillary are going to fall on their swords for this. people are going to close ranks. the question is who is going to take the fall for them. my guess would be leon panetta the defense secretary. >> bill: wow, leon. >> he has no political ambitions. bill. >> no evidence that will be the case either. >> bill: we have major coverage tomorrow on the benghazi story. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. incredible gun crime caught on tape as a crazed thug attempts to murder police officers with an ak 47. can this kind of stuff ever be stopped? dennis miller has some thoughts about benghazi and al gore becoming as rich as mitt romney. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. [ male announcer ] at his current pace,
1:28 am
1:29 am
1:30 am
bob will retire when he's 153, which would be fine if bob were a vampire. but he's not. ♪ he's an architect with two kids and a mortgage.
1:31 am
luckily, he found someone who gave him a fresh perspective on his portfolio. and with some planning and effort, hopefully bob can retire at a more appropriate age. it's not rocket science. it's just common sense. from td ameritrade. >> bill: stossel matter segment tonight, on march 10th in middlefield, ohio, about 40 miles east of cleveland. police officers pulled over james for failing to stop at an intersection. he emerged from the car ak 47 and fired 33 rounds at officers. [gunfire] >> whoa! [screams] [shouting] >> is he hit? >> you cover i will call
1:32 am
dispatch. >> he was shot dead by police who say they have no idea why he attacked them. as you may know, i'm calling for all gun crimes to be federalized. that means if a person has an illegal gun in his or her possession they serve mandatory federal prison time. that would give the police a huge advantage in stopping this kind of crazy stuff. with us now to dissent fox business anchor john stossel. you know, i have been thinking about this a lot because it's a constitutional issue. second amendment issue. the limitations on guns, i think, should then be decided by the federal courts. and taken out of the state jurisdictions as you know here in new york they just passed and connecticut as well very strict gun control laws. i don't think that should happen. the fall government should regulate firearms in this country. do you agree with that? >> fine if a federal government regulates firearms. >> bill: okay. >> so you don't have a problem with that all right. because it would make it easier and take out a lot of the craziness of the different states doing different things.
1:33 am
if the federal government would have uniform laws. now, the constitution says americans have a right to defend themselves. i studied this issue, the founders clearly wanted americans to have the right to defend themselves because the federal government could not. they clearly wanted that. that was the intent. that remains the intent today. people have a right to defend themselves. however, as you just saw, we got it to stop people from getting arsenals and going out and shooting innocent people, including the police. this has to be stopped. and if you federalize gun crimes, if a person has an illegal gun, and the federal government makes, you know, registration, whatever, mandatory, it's easier to control it. go ahead. >> it's not. it's not going to make any difference. you think this crazy guy getting out of the car was thinking of a federal mandatory minimum and that would have deterred him? >> bill: if he had been pulled over for his driving indiscretion and they had found an illegal gun, they could have put him away. now, they can't put him away. >> to make policy bases on crazy people and why focus.
1:34 am
>> he could have put the car in reverse. >> all crimes federalized now. >> bill: all gun crimes. >> why just guns? he could have killed them with his car. you want mandatory minimums for sex crimes. >> bill: child rape crimes. >> is there any evidence that where jessica's law is passed there is less molestation going on. >> bill: tons. >> no there isn't. >> bill: go down to the state of florida there is tons of evidence. >> more molestation in vermont and colorado and new jersey. >> bill: i don't know about that because i don't think those states study lenient laws. get back to the gun thing. you say that the feds would be okay if they handled the whole gun issue? >> maybe, i have to think about that. too many federal laws already we can't even count them. >> bill: this is life and death. >> it's not going to stop this person. >> bill: miracle they weren't killed these police officers. >> your law isn't going to stop crazy people like that. >> it's going to make it hard are for crazy people to operate
1:35 am
and easier for police to arrest them. last word. >> i think you are ignorant and arrogant to think that you can design a better system from here. >> bill: you like the system we have now? you think it's a good system? >> judicial discretion is better than mandatory minimums. >> bill: judicial discretion, everybody. all right. john stossel, everybody. did he call me names? >> i did. i said you are arrogant. >> bill: we have the electric chair. when we come right back, it will be miller time. benghazi, al gore and governor christie all on his own tonight. miller is next.
1:36 am
1:37 am
>> bill: thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly in the miller time seeing wanted tonight. three we have three hot topics get to the sage of southern california who joins from us santa barbara.
1:38 am
big hearing on benghazi tomorrow in d.c. and you say, miller? >> i don't think much is going to come out of this. that's just my thought. i have a feeling that if four jihadists had been killed by our guys that night on the raid on benghazi that there would have been an internal affairs commission from our service seeing why these guys killed four jihadis and they would have found out more than we found out so far about getting four of our guys killed. >> bill: why do you think most americans aren't locked in on this story in it is life and death. ambassador stevens a good man. he did ask for more protection. it was not granted. the murder did take place along with three other americans. than then the government mislead the world about the motive who did it. there is a lot of ingredients here. people aren't locked in. is there a reason? >> the reason that people don't know benghazi from ben gazara
1:39 am
and they don't know ben gayzara at all. we are not a culture that deals in consequences anymore. it's not like we look at things and go that's not right. we have got to flatten the perpetrators of that isn't right. you look at barack obama with the sequester thing. it always makes me laugh when he brings up sequestration and talks about how the evil republicans are fisting it on the people. and then you want to say it was your idea. you came up with it. but it falls on deaf ears. nobody holds anybody accountable anymore. the press isn't going to go after this story, bill. a lot of people in the press. maybe some guy on the internet will break it eventually. you realize woodward and bernstein became woodward and bernstein because of what they did to nixon. the key thing in that equation was nixon. had you a free reign on him. you can't go after this guy. you won't get woodward and bernstein status. you will be out of the game. if you are the one who brings
1:40 am
down barack obama, you will be out of the game. and if you go after hillary, who is going to run the next 8 years, you will be more out of the game. so, in this case, you know, it's not going to harassment the press isn't going to dig on on this. >> bill: tomorrow is pretty much the last chance. and i expect that there is going to be a lot of coverage tomorrow. we're going to actually watch the coverage for the folks looking in now. and bernie goldberg will be on thursday and see how each network news covered it it of course, we will cover it in depth. al gore your pal, close and personal friend in identified da who he. i think you hang with him sometimes. he has now reported that he is almost as wealthy as mitt romney, miller. and you are right behind that what do you think about the al meister? >> well, first off, i know you are joking but can you believe that i think gore is such a detestable cat that i have to go on record on tv and say i'm not a friend? i don't run into him. if i saw him i would run away
1:41 am
from him. he might be rich, but as far as his car marks his account is berust. he has gone into deficit here. the simple fact is this is the equation i was talking about earlier with nobody is accountable anymore. al gore jammed global warming down everybody's throat. he tried to take a mail stop at climate change because that wasn't working anymore. he then got current tv up and running and made a mint ooff of it when he sold it to al jazeera. al jazeera is owned by big oil in the name of qatar. and i don't even know what their citizenry is called the car qatarzan. if you lay that out, anybody should shun al gore. everybody should walk away from him and say he is a phony. but they don't. that will show you why people just aren't accountable. >> bill: he went on lauer and today shore and a few others. >> really? you think al gore has done the
1:42 am
walk of fire over selling current tv to oil concern? >> bill: there is no doubt is he very hypocritical. >> when you get grilled by a player like matt lauer god for bid you have faced it all. >> bill: at least he did it. >> be as tough on her as he was on ann curry? >> bill: chris christie got his stomach stapled and i guess lost 40 pounds and there he is. you say? >> the tractor is in the republican party are saying he has had the lap dog surgery. i like mr. smith and row len ski. i will tell you this. he certainly knows how to get someone elected president. i guess he is going to do it for himself this time through. you have got to lose -- look at that billy. they couldn't ky him into a hock tore 800 it would look like an mri exam. >> bill: hey as a lot of energy behind him. >> flying on gulf stream. he can't fit. and unless you are going to run for mayor mccheese, you can't be that fat and be in politics.
1:43 am
>> bill: not today. taft and grover cleveland two of your personal favorites were very hefty boys. i have always marveled at christie's energy. even though he is a big man a lot of energy. >> you have a hell of a lot of energy until the minute your heart stops in the space of a one half of a nano second. right up until then though, you are a long distance runner. >> bill: he should be like me and give up the glue ten. get that wheat out of there you won't have to have the stomach stapled. >> can i tell what you it was like to be your friend on glue ten living hell. now that you are glue ten-free. >> i don't have my hero sandwich anymore and i miss them. >> bill: quick reminder make mom and daddy very happy. see miller and me west bury long island june 1st. on deck. tracking down cathy bodine, she trackinwith the spark cash card from capital one... boris earns unlimited rewards for his small business. can i get the smith contract, ease?
1:44 am
thank you. that's three new paper shredders. [ boris ] put 'em on my spark card. [ garth ] boris' small business earns 2% cash back on every pchase every day. great businesses deserve unlimited rewards. read back the chicken's testimony, please. "buk, buk, bukka!" [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards. choose 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase every day. told you i'd get half. what's in your walle
1:45 am
1:46 am
1:47 am
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight, watters world as you may know cathy bodine a member of the weather undergrounds in the 1960's has been hired to teach at columbia university. that's controversial as ms. bodine served 22 years in prison convicted of murder in the death of including go police officers. we sent jesse watters out to columbia university to find ms. bodine and get reaction. ♪ ♪ >> have you heard of a professor called cathy bodine? she was just hired here. she is a convicted cop killer. >> was she really? >> yeah. >> i did not know about that until just now. >> how do you feel about that? >> definitely pretty surprising. >> i feel fantastic. i think it's a positive thing for someone to come and go through a situation like she has been through and make something positive out of it. >> i think it's a scary trend
1:48 am
here with bill ayers and bernadette done also being professors. there are plenty of other qualified professionals to be professors than to be teaching the next generation of leaders in this country. >> i think she has paid her time. there is nothing more than we can do. >> you are not going to put a moral judgment on killing cops. >> no, i'm not. >> really? do you think that's wrong though, right? >> i think it's wrong to kill anyone. >> they think it's part of academic freedom but she a murderer. >> god teaches us to forgive. >> you are a forgiving guy? you are going to let that slide. >> i'm sure there is a reason why we have hired hired her. >> hasn't reached out to the victim's family i don't know if there is healing going on. >> i suggest maybe they have this dialogue and this conversation. >> i don't think they should be mad at her. they should be mad at the justice department. the criminal justice system sentenced her she did that time. >> you say she was involved in a heist. >> yeah. >> i have read countless stories of people guilty of murder because they were involved in the heist. >> she was the driver? you are okay with that.
1:49 am
>> depends if there was any planning involved in killing cops. >> you were one of the officers involved in the heist with cathy bodine. can you describe the scene? >> we were looking for black individuals in the truck and we had two white people in the front. we didn't know if we had the right truck or not. proceeded to the back of the truck i hollered something is wrong here. as soon as i said that, six black males came out of the back of the truck with -- armed with automatic weapons. officer brown was shot immediately. i was shot. o'grady was shot while reloading his gun. officer lennon was pinned down inside that car. the car was totaled with gunshots and someone rammed the police car. >> now cathy bodine is a professor at columbia university. she gave a speech last month where she never mentioned any of the victims but she released for the release of her cohorts. >> i also want to talk about the people who are still in prison and not here. people david gilbert, judy
1:50 am
clark, ding go. roselyn smith, so many other people that aren't here, we want them here with us. >> how does that make you feel? >> very angry. >> o'reilly factor. we just wanted to know if you said anything. >> nothing. >> to the victim's family, professor. >> excuse me. >> yes. >> [inaudible]. >> we would just like to ask the professor some questions here. >> news reporter. >> you have considered donating to any of the victim's families? >> excuse me, i can't be here. >> what's your location? >> school of social work. >> i actually have a letter here from michael page. >> 10/4. >> nothing but regret. >> attempted to lead a life that would express that remorse and that regret. >> sir, you are on private property. i'm going to ask to you leave. >> she a convicted murderer. >> i want to ask you to leave right now.
1:51 am
>> she is a cop killer. >> we can get the police here right now to remove and your cameraman. would you like that. >> shown no remorse for this crime and she is using the college as a soapbox to promote her mission to get her husband who has a 75 year sentence and other co-defendants out of jail. >> bill: here now is jesse watters. would you say and i think this is true most of the students at columbia have no clue, right? >> they didn't know. i would say it was 70/30 they were supportive of her being a professor there. >> bill: had you to explain what she did. they didn't know the background. >> the majority didn't have any idea. >> bill: i wonder if there was an article in the columbia newspaper about her and she had done. >> she was hired in 2008. the only reason this story broke wide open is because there is a movie about her now. so, a lot of the students weren't really aware of it. >> bill: we weren't aware of it. >> it was under the radar. now, do you believe that she told you that she was sorry and all of that. do you believe it? >> i don't believe it because she hasn't reached out to any of the victim's families. no phone calls.
1:52 am
no letters. supposed to be talking about rehabilitation after you reenter society after paroled. doesn't put her money. go out and spout out about restorative justice. pining for cohorts to get out of prison while people who don't have a father they are still in pain. tremendous pain. >> bill: sure, absolutely. columbia university perhaps the most liberal college in the country right now. >> yeah. >> bill: they are. jesse watters, everybody. factor tip of the day. how to lead a long and happy life. the tip after these messages.
1:53 am
1:54 am
>> let's make mom and dad happy on their day, shall he, people? my book, keep it pithy. mom and dad will like it, you
1:55 am
will like it, the dog will like it. if you buy the book on billoreilly.com you get a free tote bag and we donate a dollar for every book seemed to help wounded veterans. everybody wins here. and "killing kennedy" and" killing lincoln" both still best sellers. buy them both and you get lis wiehl's book free of charge. now the mail >>. >> from bellville, ohio. >> congratulations to you. hope you do a lot of good with that degree. james in new york.
1:56 am
>> amy from council bluffs, iowa. >> i appreciate that, ed." that's what i told robert downy, jr. he immediately skyed off in some machine. and from indiana. >> the guyers are patriots and scores of viewers are doing the same thing. filled like to fund a track chair for the 1700 vets who need them, please go to the website independencefund.org. we will have our announcement on thursday in the tip of the day. it will be a big one. stacy from pennsylvania.
1:57 am
is. >> we will get your son the chair, stacy. i promise. >> the factor tip of the day. how to lead a long and happy life. happy birthday to winafred o'reilly. she puts other people first. she raised two children and specializing in generosity to all. my mother always knew the secret to a long and happy life. be unselfish and help others, even if it inconveniences you. thanks to her i can give you that factor tip of the day. by the way, happy birthday, mom. you can go to bed now. you stayed up late to see this. that's it for us tonight. please check out the fox news factor website, which is different from billoreilly.com. also we would like to you spout
1:58 am
off about the factor. name and town, name and town. if you wish to opine, word of the day, do not be laconic when writing the factor or when doing anything else. do not be laconic. if you are watching us from exotic places all over the world, please let us know. i will have another exotic mail segment coming up. i love the one we got from antarctica about scaring the penguins. i'm bill o'reilly. please remember the spin stops here. we are definitely looking out for you.
1:59 am
2:00 am
>> good morning. we begin with a fox news alert for you. charges could be filed today for the three men who held three girls captive for more than a decade. this coming as we find out more disturbing chilling details about what went on in the house of horrors in cleveland. >> thank you for watching "fox & friends first". police are investigating the young women were pregnant up to five times. it is not clear if more than one child was born. out of all of this there is joy an

98 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on