Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOXNEWSW  March 19, 2014 2:00pm-3:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
this whole thing with vladimir putin sooner. i don't care what you think about the president, but i'm thinking to myself, self, these guys are in the neighborhood. see, russia is in green there. that's europe. we're on the other side of the world, and they're blaming us for missing it. tonight on fbn, you've got to hear this because i'm going to speak russian. hello, everyone. yp gg along with kevin van der perren, bob beckel, and in road trips, she sleeps in the glove compartment, it's dana perino. this is "the five." so, with flight 370, the deeper the mystery, the wider the speculation. it never stops. should it? speculation is just a fancier version of a magic 8 ball. ideally, we would have a media time-out and let facts accumulate into a bucket of information, but we can't because we're human, and this could be massive, the signal of a coming attack on us or a plane lost at sea forever. we don't know.
2:01 pm
why the this confusion is america's reluctance to exert its superiority in this investigation. we're the best at this stuff, but why do so? why hurt feelings even if it save s lives? why should we trust them to find the plane when they're the ones who lost it in the first place? these countries are like cliques at the high school cafeteria, feeding us useless gossip. the idea of leading from behind when those in front are boobs is stupid. we let oafs decide our feaate, t we have a vested interest in this. if the world possibility comes true, it would be us who pays the price, but america could close the investigation fast it it wanted to. well, as long as the plane is not hidden in benghazi or the irs building. >> hey, kimberly, isn't the real problem here lack of authority?
2:02 pm
is there any way we can take sharnl of this? >> if they were truly interested in fining the plane to determine what exactly happened, they would utilize the impressive resources of the united states. we are the world's leading expert in this area. when it comes to crisis management, an investigation of this magnitude, you should lean heavily on the united states. they would be lucky to do so. instead, we have been fed misinformation by the malaysian government. they have done a tremendous disservice to the family members who deserve answers and to the world, for that matter. we are far behind in this investigation, instead of ahead of the game because of the delays, the misinformation, and it all traces back to their government, so yes, the u.s. should take the lead. just do it. >> bob, are we worried we're going to come off as too mean? >> we can't force our way into someone else's investigation. >> why not? there's u.s. interest. >> that doesn't give you jurisdiction. they did now invite the fbi in, which is a good sign, to take a look at this at this mock --
2:03 pm
whatever they call it, simulator. and they're trying to find it because there were deletions from his flight plans in that thing. they're asking the fbi to ask what the deletions were. that's a step in the right direction. you're right, we do have a lot of capability, but again, you're dealing with such a huge area to be looking at here. with all the resources of all the countries already in there, it seems to me, day 12 now? is this day 12? i think, yes, the united states would do more. i wish they would ask for more. i think the malaysians are beginning to realize we can't do this ourselves. >> is it too late because of the slow start to figure out what happened? >> when all else fails, follow the money. the insurance companies are going to be investigators on the cutting edge of what the real information is. this is a $270 million airplane. there's already been one insurance payment paid, and we don't know who the -- who wrote the check and who cashed the
2:04 pm
check yet, but i will guarantee before the big check is cashed, those people are going to go what happened. i love the story because it defies logic. i love the logical world. i try to figure everyone's motivation out. >> really? >> i try to figure out what's going to happen next. what kimberly is think, i'm trying to figure that out, whether dana and bob are going to fight today, i'm trying to figure that out. >> dana, you tweeted earlier, we're entering the media on media part of the saga. i want to throw this to the sound on tape of charles krauthammer on the media obsession with the missing flight on the x-factor last night. >> in the coverage what annoys me is the way it's become a game when it's a terrible, terrible event and there are people who are suffering. >> it becomes a burlesque show, a farce, and we have reached
2:05 pm
that point on this coverage. when you have people, when, is it a stow away? when does godzilla come on? on another network, they actually said aliens might have taken it. they're not kidding around. >> now you're talking my language, psychotics. i can explain that, but the real mystery is why the ordinary nonpsychotic people so fascinated with this. and i think it's just had all these exotic storylines and the way that the media responded is not a conspiracy. >> what do you make of that, dana? have the investigation or media eventually will start reporting about itself, and they'll analyze, have we done too much, not enough? the truth is people are interested in it. if you go to any book store or if you go to any movie theater, what's the most popular thing? a mystery. you don't get many real life mysteries like this, so i think in a way, even though i know you say you like the logical world, you like a lot of television shows that are mysteries.
2:06 pm
>> because i spend the whole hour trying to figure out what -- >> that's why people keep watching. they're looking to figure it out, and they don't want to be second to know. they want to be first know if there's a development. >> this is one of the stories, too, i was in the elevator, and an absolute stranger, no idea i was on the show, and started talking to me because it was on the tv on the elevator, and he started talking to me why that theory was wrong, i think stuart varney was throwing the theory out. people are intrigued. >> i was talking to a friend of mine before the show who knows aviation. he pointed out most people who are talking ability it know nothing about it. >> that's everybody. >> that's right. so it goes beyond that. i mean, it is some intrigue with people because there is the mystery of where did this thing go? we need resolution, and we can't get resolution. it's day 12. >> also, the concern it might be planned to be used for something
2:07 pm
else. can i make one point about the united states and its role in the investigation? that i do think that other governments could take a look at the united states. we have a, like, i wouldn't say perfect, but a good mix of civilian and military, and we're also the government is somewhat responsive, mostly responsive, to journalists and the media. that's not the case in most countries around the world and certainly not true in malaysia. >> this is rush limbaugh talking about the coverage. >> this is new. we're going to use a limbaugh tape? >> i can't handle the media. i literally cannot. i can't handle, we have anchors who don't know beans about why an airplane flies. they couldn't explain the concept of air pressure differential or lift if their jobs depended on it. they get guests, nobody knows what happened. you have a bunch of people on tv who just want face time. >> he's basically calling the news cofferage a show, but he's a consummate showman. >> talking about the coverage. >> isn't this capitalism,
2:08 pm
there's a demand for this information. is it necessarily the fault of the news to supply it? >> he's getting air time, face time, voice time. all the above. but this is something that you have a responsibility to report, to get the information out there, and an abigation to get the best experts and resources so you can relay this information in an intelligent way that makes sense to the sfruers. they actually want to know about it. if they didn't, we wouldn't have the ratings we do. i think it's important to find out the answers. i don't think it's just sensational. i want to know if it's a defect or a problem with the plane. i want to know if this is the first step for a furlth terrorist attack. i want to learn the answer so we can learn from it so it doesn't happen again. >> dana was talking about the media. who broke it first? howard kurtz, and he got dumped on. and now o'reilly and russia. i think that's 4,321st thing of russia on the show, but the fact
2:09 pm
of the matter is they're jumping on this, but they're still covering the story, aren't they? >> because people are tuned in and it's rating, and you say, we said everything four or five times, we need to keep saying it. we just need different people to start saying it. it's not unlike -- i'll be honest, cable networks who put on people to have an opinion on politics or business, who have no experience in it, nor background in it. and go ahead and have them, they're pundits. >> i resemble that remark. >> a lot of people say what is it about "the five." we have someone from the legal world, a democratic strategist, someone from the business world, a bush white house person. >> watch it. >> we have somebody who has edited magazines who's one of the funniest political satirests. other shows who put on people because they look good or they're young and everyone goes -- >> that's certainly not our -- >> no. >> let me take, that's certainly
2:10 pm
not my case, and i agree. i don't know a damn thing about this, but it still fascinates me. >> but you know about history. you have been helpful. >> i know a lot about geography, but it doesn't help me tell what happened to the airplane. >> is it strange you haven't heard anything about this from the president of the white house? >> he just spoke about it and we're going to have it in the next block. >> that was a subliminal tease for the b block. >> there you go. >> now you get to tease. >> next, new information -- thank you -- from a former faa official who supports the theory that what happened to the plane was no accident. and there are other new developments today. stick around. you're going to hear about them straight ahead. my journey acro, i've learned that when you ask someone in texas
2:11 pm
if they want "big" savings on car insurance, it's a bit like asking if they want a big hat... ...'scuse me... ...or a big steak... ...or big hair... i think we have our answer. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
2:12 pm
2:13 pm
2:14 pm
it took a lot of juggling to keep it all together.k. for some low-income families, having broadband internet is a faraway dream. so we created internet essentials, america's largest low-cost internet adoption program. having the internet at home means she has to go no further than the kitchen table to do her homework. now, more than one million americans have been connected at home. it makes it so much better to do homework, when you're at home. welcome to what's next. comcastnbcuniversal. this is a fox news alert. moments ago, president obama made his first public comments on missing malaysian airline flight 370. >> we have put every resource we have available at the disposal of the search process.
2:15 pm
there's been close cooperation with the malaysian government. and so not just ntsb, but fbi, you know, anybody who typically deals with anything related to our aviation system is available, and so our thoughts and prayers are with the families, but i want them to be assured that we consider this a top priority and we're going to keep working. >> and it's been determined that the missing malaysian plane veered off course and it wasn't an accident, according to a former faa official. here's what he told megyn kelly last night. >> it's 100% clear this pilot or copilot took this plane with the clear intent of doing something bad. we now know that within the first 26 minutes, they had reprogrammed the flight plan and were already starting to turn west far before they even signed off with air traffic control. >> there are also new questions about files that were deleted from a flight simulator found at the home of the pilot, captain
2:16 pm
shaw. katherine hcatherine herridge jh more. >> earlier today, the malaysian authorities confirmed those files were deleted from the flight simulator of the 53-year-old pilot, and we have been able to confirm separately through a source who is not really authorized to speak on the record that the fbi has been invited to review this data called a technical assessment of the flight simulator hard drive. what that involves is trying to recover the deleted files. i don't think i need to tell you this, if there's anyone who is good at this, it's the bureau. just because you think you have hit double delete doesn't mean the file is gone. there's something called file overriding, which is what you see. investigators want to know whether the pilot deleted it because he was trying to find more memory for the simulator, or if he was trying to wipe it from the hard drive. that would be a more sinister
2:17 pm
technique because it would take more expertise. >> eric? >> we rolled the sound bite of scott brennan, who was a former faa spokesman, who said this plane started to make the turn. after the turn was initiated, the copilot said, all right, good night. when i heard that last night, i was shocked because i can't figure out a scenario that would exclude the pilots from at least being complicit in taking this plane if that's true, and do we know that in fact is true? >> well, the two things to say about that, number one, there's opposing views on what that really means. one is it was clearly a deliberate act to take the flight in a different direction. the second is this was in effect kind of like an insurance policy or a back-up plan to reroute the flight in case of bad weather. the second thing that i learned today from my reporting is that when the fbi looks at these hard drives of the pilot and copilot and looks at this hard drive from the flight simulator, they're going to be looking at their e-mail traffic as well,
2:18 pm
because when you look at the data on its face value, it speaks to some kind of conspiracy, and if that is in fact the case, the fbi will want to understand who these two men were in touch with in the days leading up to the disappearance of this jet, and whether there was some kind of outside influence that guided them towards the takeover of the jet. now, whether there was some financial motivation or some political motivation, but that is the kind of thing that the fbi will look for as well in addition to these deleted files. >> this is bob beckel. >> hi, there. >> i find it a little bit -- these planes all have, what do they call? emergency location transmitters. >> correct. >> they have their own battery packs so they're meant to stay sending out a signal even after a plane crashes. this one didn't have that. it had it, but for some reason it was turned off or didn't work. you can't turn it off manually if you're in the cockpit, as i
2:19 pm
understand it. that means either a massive explosion blew it apart, which means you would have seen debris around, or how do you explain it? >> i'm impressed with your research. >> thank you. >> you're welcome. it's a point a lot of people have missed. what we have heard consistently in the past 12 days is there's no evidence that the flight went down, and bob has hit on one of those important data points, which is that this elt, this is an emergency landing transmitter. it's designed to go off. it's in typically the tail and nose of the aircraft. it's designed to go off when you hit land or when you hit the water. and this transmission, this sort of ticker system, has not been discerned, so it's this absence of information which suggests that the plane has not gone down. and one of the issues that bob has also raised here is there was a warning that there could be a malfunction with this elt system on the 777, but the malaysian authorities have said
2:20 pm
that the system on flight 370 was -- had been properly maintained and they did not believe that that was an issue here. >> i want to go back to captain shah. we heard that his family members left before he took off. was that true, and does anybody know where they are, what happened to his family? >> i don't want to give you bad information. i do not know the whereabouts of his family or whether they were interviewed, but i will point out there has been a real conflict in the information that's been presented by the malaysian authorities about the pilots. they were very quick to say right out of the gate that there was no evidence that they had taken over the jet and there was no evidence of terrorism. now, we're getting 12 days into it, and we're finding that files were deleted from that flight simulator, though i'm sure as you know by speaking to pilots, these guys are really sort of flying geeks, if you will, and it's not uncommon for them to want to practice at home, though what he built here, i think you would agree, is a pretty
2:21 pm
elaborate setup. >> thanks for all the information. doing a great job on this for us. it seems the valuable information was lost about seven days before they did focus on these pilots. you mentioned some information about the department of defense programs you can get, even on the internet, to delete files. but if they haven't been written over several times, wouldn't they be able to access that information? >> they can. i mean, what i learned today in our reporter is that there really is almost no way to completely wipe a file once it's on a hard drive. you can overwrite it as you're talking, but any of these fbi texts, what i was told is they can get to that in just a matter of hours. i'm actually surprised no one is asking about that report from the maldives that those fishermen saw the flight. >> hasn't that been discredited? >> it has been, but it took a lot of practice to say the island where it was found. >> nicely done. >> thank you.
2:22 pm
>> could you talk to us about apparently the search area has been narrowed down to the coast of australia? >> thanks for asking that. i've got a map here which may require some glasses, but i'm going to hold it up here. it was released by the pentagon just a little while ago today. and the reason this map is important is it shows how the search area has really been narrowed down to southwestern australia, and there's a patch which is identified as the specific search area, and then what they call a drift area. and the reason that's important is that we were first to report yesterday that the ntsb and faa are taking a second intense review of all of the satellite data, the civilian and military data, and they were also factoring into that the weather, the fuel, and what i found pretty surprising is how far that jet could glide without power, and they were factoring are these things in. you have to put your science gal hat on to do this, but they factor all of it in, and they have come up now with this map
2:23 pm
which has really significantly narrowed the focus. >> who is handling the investigation into the full 229 passengers -- 239 passengers? >> that's malaysia. >> other than the two pilots, who is that? >> the malaysian authorities. one thing that maybe is not obvious, but it is certainly obvious to the reporters here in washington, is that the administration is really going out of its way to not upstage the malaysian authorities, who what they will tell you is in the lead here, and they don't want to jeopardize the access and, i wouldn't say terrific level of cooperation, but a consistent level of cooperation, so to give you a long answer to a simple question, the malaysians are in the lead. they're getting help from other intelligence agencies, in the scrubbing of the passenger it's like a homicide case that when you don't get good, strong leads out of the gate, you're potentially looking at a cold case. and this development with the navy is important, but it does
2:24 pm
seem a little desperate at this point. >> very quick follow-up, i'm cer sorry, but i was wondering if they're cross checking against our intelligence. >> they are. >> we have substantial no-fly lists and further deep into our intel. cross checking to make sure there's no overlap? >> real quick, there was something established after 9/11, which is the national counterterrorism center, or nctc, the group that is the maintainer of all the databases. i know from our reporter that really within 24 hours, the first thing that was done was the passenger manifest and the crew as well, was run against multiple databases to see if there were any hits. this is at a time where the two iranians with the stolen passports were of particular focus. >> thanks so much. straight ahead, russia's president took the liberty today to change the mab of europe. no comment from president obama yet. we'll tell you what he was doing instead. [ male announcer ] a body at rest tends to stay at rest...
2:25 pm
while a body in motion nds to stay in motion. staying active can ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, this can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain and improve daily physical function so moving is easier. because just one 200mg cebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high bloodressure
2:26 pm
or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions, or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't takeebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or inteste, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or thro, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
2:27 pm
2:28 pm
♪ ♪
2:29 pm
well, over the past week, it's not your block, bob. >> sorry. >> over the past week, president obama has spent his time between two ferns with comedian zach galifianakis, on the radio discussing mom jeans with ryan seacrest, and tomorrow, he's hanging out with ellen. today, he's focused on his ncaa bracket. russian president vladimir has other priorities.
2:30 pm
>> warren bruft, a huge crayton fan, has offered $1 million for the perfect bracket. if you won, what would happen? >> michelle might want a few shoes. >> translator: this territory should be under a strong and steady sovereignty. which can be only russian today. >> my pick, michigan state. bringing it home for me. it's been a while since i won my pool. >> oh, my goodness. you can't make it up. you know, that's the news. bob, i don't know what to tell you. we're just reporting it. >> that may be one of the cheapest shot our producer ever put together. that's just ridiculous. >> it happened. >> can we talk about serious business at all today? >> wait, bob. we also, to be fair, have shown some very hilarious pictures of vladimir putin when he used to ride that horse. >> shirtless. >> and wrestle the animal. >> but we didn't compare that to obama.
2:31 pm
>> but this is what happened today. >> let me make a point that putin has, now, supposedly supporters of the russians have taken over the naval headquarters in crimea, and they are moving troops out. now, they said after the russians voted, now you can become part of russia, that -- >> bob, are you going to pass out trying to explain this? >> that was nice. >> to turn the topic away from the fact that president obama was picking brackets when vladimir putin was in red square being very, very russian, saying this is how -- >> you're going to compare picking brackets -- >> with, by the way, a 70% approval rating for putin in his own country while obama struggles to keep 40%. >> i want to get it off there because there's a way to go about doing this segment. there is, i think, something to be said about the proposal today out of the ukraine government that they ought to make that a
2:32 pm
demilitarized zone, which was their proposal, which indicates to me they have almost assessmented the fact the russians have going to take it. >> they have accepted it because nobody said they're going to help them. maybe that is the reality. i just wanted to offer something putin and obama could not do together. this is a peace offering to bob, his favorite chocolates after i lost my temper yesterday. >> those were supposed to be mine for my birthday. >> oh, my gosh. >> that's what the ukrainians realized they need to do. i think their goal now is to de-escalate any further conflict. >> i see. >> these are the best things in the world. >> remember, you have to give half of that to the government. >> he gives half to me, the new common law. there you go. i spent new year's with them. >> i'm going to give them to the editors so they pass out. >> can can comment on the topic at hand, which is president obama doing the brackets and going on ellen and doing all this sort of stuff? cool does win the heart of teenage girls, but it doesn't
2:33 pm
win the hards of ex-kgb agents. this does nothing to impress our adversaries. i wish he looked at the russians the way he looked at his domestic adversaries. if he saw the russians as the tea party, he could send them after them. >> when everyone fills out a bracket, do you think it's a little unusual we would have to bump that up next to vladimir putin -- >> i thought it was beautiful. >> i see. well then maybe obama is going to the bathroom at the same time. >> i hate this story because every night on twitter, i get absolutely destroyed by people who say don't you know how important this is? you want to really, real a hit russia where it counts? hit them in the pocketbook, the wallet. get to 100% total, total unless and energy, and russian oil prices will go down, we don't have to bow to putin and obama doesn't have to wear his mom jeans when putin is shirtless.
2:34 pm
we don't have to see any of that anymore, bob. >> the problem is we have a president who forget standing up to putin, who can't stand up to the college age anti-oil activists that scream and yell every time you bring up keystone. >> that's true. >> he's scared of that. >> the other thing they did do, you can go on the white house website and input your information to find out what climate change is going to do to your zip code. >> this is ridiculous because we lack focus and authority. >> we figure out every day, our producers figure out every day how to take any story they can and connect it to an anti-obama story. >> they make the stories about his schedule, priorities for the country, and that's why we're failing midserably. >> because he filled out a bracket, that would have stopped putin to going to the ukraine. come on, that's what the producers -- >> have a chocolate. >> next on "the five," why on earth -- >> are you embarrassed you did
2:35 pm
that story? >> it's an unbelievable story, and eric has the details on it. that's next. for over a decade millions have raised their hand for the proven relief of the purple pill. and that relief could be in your hand. for many, nexium helps relieve heartburn symptoms from acid reflux disease. find out how you can save at purplepill.com. there is risk of bone fracture and low magnesium levels. side effects may include headache, abdominal pain, and diarrhea if you have persistent diarrhea, contact your doctor right away. other serious stomach conditions may exi. avoid if you te clopidogrel. for many, relief is at hand. ask your doctor abouxium.
2:36 pm
2:37 pm
2:38 pm
2:39 pm
welcome back, everybody. the virginia state legislature has passed a resolution commending the dar al islamic center for their outstanding community service. it's one of america's largest mosques and it happens to be the preferred prausk of many terrorists over the years. anwar al malakhy in 2002. major hassan who killed 14 at ft. hood, two of the 149/11 hijackers were members of the center.
2:40 pm
so the virginia state legislature says they commemorate this mosque, commemorate it for what? outstanding ability to murder americans? now, bob, the democrat from virginia proposes this, this is in his district that he just overlooked the fact this is a well known terrorist frequented mosque. >> he overlooked it? they had to go through the whole general assembly. the house of delegates down there, everybody approved it. republicans and democrats, granted, somebody came out and said i have this resolution. thousands of those happen every day. it's amazing that somebody didn't say, wait a minute, isn't this the same play so-and-so is from? it's crazy they did it, and there's going to be a lot of explaining to do, why somebody didn't object. >> this is one of the biggest mosques in america. i don't know how this flies under the radar? >> this is the mosque of many of the 9/11 hijackers. this is the last mosque, practically, in america, that should be getting this kind of award or commendation.
2:41 pm
it's so sloppy and slap in the face to all the victims of 9/11. it really bothers me. we are paying these people's salary. are they not paying attention? are they not reading what's in front of them? this should not have happened. shame on anybody who approved it. >> what? >> greg, you know, this victory mosque, they wanted to built downtown, too, tone deaf? what's going on? >> you guys are so intolerant. why can't we all just get along? you're having a side conversation. >> i'm sorry. >> what if they're virginia delegates? they're paid for by the people of the state of virginia. ask for your money back. >> i thought you said we pay for. it's not worth having this discussion. >> let's eat chocolates instead. >> good idea. >> there are people in the mosque who say they hate us, and we give them a trophy. it's like the oscars. it's prove that cowardice in the face of political correctness is exploited and that is going to be the undoing of our culture. there are people who go there that don't like our way of life.
2:42 pm
what do we we always give them branch. what do they do with it? they carve it into a knife. >> do you thnk they didn't investigate because that would have been plit clael incorrect? >> i could imagine a scenario like bob was saying, we have 20 resolutions to vote on. one is for mother's day, one for easter, and there's this mosque thing, and people raised their hand and said yes. >> you should try jasper day. >> it would be huge, and there should be resolutions in every state's capital for america's dog. i think, yes, a few bad apples can spoil a bunch. for example, any institution can have a situation where they have a murderer come out of it, okay, maybe a drunk driver on a football team, or some sort of domestic violence dispute. and the whole team is not tainted with that forever. and it could be that lopez, who is the delegate, felt they had done enough to try to rehabilitate themselves. >> good point. >> not everybody who goes to the
2:43 pm
mosque is a murderer. >> good point, but can i make this one point? they have this resolution going on where scores of muslims were murdered. as usual, not one of those punks who lead the countries are willing to say anything about it, no imam, nobody. and you're still cowards. >> they told me this was passed bay a voice vote, so there's no record of who voted for it. >> so no accountability for it. that's the problem. again, it's sloppy government. it's not government that's working for the people. it's not intelligent. i think it's shameful. >> to dana's point, perhaps there were things going on in the past decade or so that we don't know about, that they're working with the community, perhaps, with ferreting out potential terrorists. >> i think they have been cooperating. >> they might be cooperative and we don't know. >> if that's the case, maybe they'll call us and let us know the ferreting out. >> 9/11, 9/11. >> i want to hear from the muslims again.
2:44 pm
>> we'll leave it there. >> next, an emotional scene this morning in malaysia as families fed up with the lack of answers on the missing plane lash out at investigators. that's coming up next on "the five." no, no, no! stop! humans. one day we're coming up with the theory of relativity, the next... not so much. but that's okay. you're covered with great ideas like optional better car replacement from liberty mutual insurance. total your car, and we give you the money to buy one a model year newer. learn about it at libertymutual.com. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? predibut, manufacturings a prettin the united states do. means advanced technology. we learned that technology allows us to be craft oriented. no one's losing their job. there's no beer robot that has suddenly chased them out. the technology is actually creating new jobs.
2:45 pm
siemens designed and built the right tools and resources to get the job done. america's favorite lasagna. topped with a mouth-watering blend of fresh cheese and aged parmesan. it makes our lasagna a delicious centerpiece for this table this table and your table. stouffer's. america's favorite lasagna.
2:46 pm
get a $200 best buy gift card during sleep train's big gift event with purchase of selected mattress sets. or, get 24-months interest-free financing. sleep train's big gift event is ending soon.
2:47 pm
♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪ at a company that's bringing media and technology together. next is every second of nbcuniversal's coverage 0f the 2014 olympic winter games. it's connecting over one million low-income americans to broadband internet at home. it's a place named one america's most veteran friendly employers. next is information and entertainment in ways you never thought possible. welcome to what's next. comcastnbcuniversal. back now to the missing jet.
2:48 pm
it's impossible to imagine the anguish that the families of the passengers and crew have gone through in the past week and a half. they want answers and they're not getting them. [ sobbing ] >> it was a very emotional scene in malaysia when distraught loved ones stormed a press conference. many haven't given up hope. here's a girlfriend of one of the american passengers. >> i don't believe the plane has been crashed. i haven't ever believed the plane has been crashed. it just doesn't make sense to me. and i don't feel like that's the right answer. >> of all the speculation about what happened with this plane, the thing that worries me the most is probably the least possible one, is this plane landed someplace and these people are still alive. that kind of thing gives hope to people. do you think we have gone overboard? i think the idea of that is so -- such a long stretch, but somehow, people are watching television and they get the idea maybe that's true.
2:49 pm
>> i'm very disturbed about what's going on with all of these cameras, these people. they're chasing down these, you know, victims' loved ones, or whatever they are, lost loved ones, and throwing 100 cameras in their face. that seems to be very insensitive and cold. should we do this? >> that's a good question, because we're using the video, number one. also, maybe these poor people want that attention. they want the attention focused -- i mean -- >> i think, remember after 9/11, they had the javt center, that's where the family could gather and be together and get information. our government is very good about trying to be honest with people, to let them know that, no, there are no survivors at the world trade center site. you can hive them off and have them, give them their own room. the problem with the malaysians is they're not honest, and -- i shouldn't say they're not honest all together, but the information has been so contradictory, the only place the families can get information is at the press conference, which puts everybody in a bad
2:50 pm
position. >> do you think the malaysian government should have said at least that the possibility that this plane landed safely is probably very small, or something besides giving the notion without rejected the notion, that these people say i have something i can hang on to? >> it's very distressing. they should be providing grief counseling and victim assistance for these type of family members who have suffering, that are confused, and instead, they're making just a mockery of their grief. i mean, the emotion on the faces of these family members. they're not getting any of the information they need. my heart goes out to them. and we do a much better job of that. what dana is saying, from a communications perspective, this could be handled in such a more thoughtful way, that it actually would help them because there's part of a healing process here. they don't think this plane landed safely, then they have an obligation to be honest with the family members so they can begin to go through the steps and
2:51 pm
understand and deal with the grief. >> very well put. does anybody here believe that's a real possibility? >> in the block we had with catherine herridge, it is a possibility the flight landed based on the information you had about the elt system. >> still, even with that, i don't know. i think the idea of putting that out there and not having it said that that is probably the least likely possibility or something, but if you're a relative of a passenger, you're going to grab hold of that and say, gee, i hope that's a real possibility. don't you think, greg? >> i mean, in your head, you have to ask, whatever you say, will that add or subtract to a person's suffering. stuff like that, that's why i usually shut up, because i can't imagine me saying anything that could offer comfort to somebody in any of this, because i can't -- i can't imagine what they're going through. >> they have thrown the family members the wolves here. >> yeah, i think they should not have an opinion until they have any facts, they have literally almost no facts.
2:52 pm
we have to go, but is there a competitive nature between the two countries, malaysia, thailand, and others with the media? >> with the media, and they're hypercompetitive with one another as well. >> okay, all right. that said, "one more thing" is up next.
2:53 pm
it's a growing trend in business: do more with less with less energy. hp is helping ups do just that. soon, the world's most intelligent servers, designed by hp, will give ups over twice the performance,
2:54 pm
using forty percent less energy. multiply that across over a thousand locations, and they'll provide the same benefit to the environment as over 60,000 trees. that's a trend we can all get behind. iwe don't back down. we only know one direction: up so we're up early. up late. thinking up game-changing ideas, like this: dozens of tax free zones across new york state. move here. expand here. or start a new business here... and pay no taxes for 10 years. with new jobs, new opportunities and a new tax free plan. there's only one way for your business to go. up. find out if your business can qualify at start-upny.com
2:55 pm
so ally bank really has no hthat's right, no hidd fees.nts? it's just that i'm worried about, you know, "hidden things." ok, why's that? well uhhh... surprise!!! um... well, it's true. at ally there are no hidden fees. not one. that's nice. no hidden fees, no worries. ally bank. your money needs an ally. time now for "one more
2:56 pm
thing." and it's time for this. >> i hate these people! >> and now you can roll this. >> our next guest made headlines at our own hot topics discussion for being a duke college freshman by day and a porn star by night. thank you for being on with us. >> thank you for having me. >> all right, so i don't hate the panelists of the view, and i don't hate this college-aged porn star making a living and embarrassing her parents. i hate the audience. applauding this girl. would they have done that if that was their daughter starring in violent pornography where she was choked? would they be proud of her? they probably don't know what she's done, but they are appl d applauded because they're polite. it's just weird. >> one of my favorite all-time "one more thing." it's bracket time.
2:57 pm
ncaa, so i'm figuring -- >> oh, my gosh, stop. >> bob. >> let's take vladimir putin's bracket first. russia versus ukraine, we know russia wins. u.s. versus the eu, u.s. wins, and of course in putin's world, russia wins it all. let's take a look at what president obama's brackets might look like. there we go, president obama, socialism over income inequality. socialism wins there. capitalism and redistribution, capitalism wins, and guess what th takes the cake for president obama. bob, you want to read it? socialism. >> he's doing something bad. >> i'm not going to interrupt you like you interrupt me. >> i apologize. it's that time of year. >> that was fun. i liked it. >> kg. >> it's my turn. so i have a musical thing to break up the tension here. if you like pharrell's song happy, so do these detroit students in motown. they do an awesome rendition of it on youtube, and they have done other cool hits as well. take a listen.
2:58 pm
♪ happy ♪ clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth ♪ ♪ clap along if you know what happiness is to you ♪ ♪ clap along >> isn't this great? this is detroit academy of arts and sciences. they also did a cover of jay-z and alicia keys empire state of mind. >> this is the best argument for uniforms. >> wasn't it so charming? >> kg, uniforms are always good kids. >> an immediate flash mob. >> exactly. dana, i believe you're next. >> i'm next, okay. bret baier and his wife amy are co chairs of the children's ball which benefits the children's national medical center and that's where their son paul, pictured there, was treated and has undergone three open heart surgeries. one of the things on the auction list, and we have the website down below, there's a live auction. you can go, and it ends tomorrow. one of the items is lunch with
2:59 pm
the mighty all-star panel on "special report" including jonah goldberg, kirsten powers, juan williams, and charles krauthammer. the bidding is at $3,600. it's worth a lot more. go on and see if you can bid and have lunch with those guys. >> he has bret's hair? >> paul bayer? >> yeah, did you notice that? >> the head of hair that lasts to the age of 90. bob, i know you're dying to talk. >> our show spent at least a week and a half pointing out the four pinocchios president obama got for his say you can keep your insurance policy and your own doctor. well, guess what? they just awarded four more pinocchios to john boehner, the republican speaker of the house who said of the 6 million people, which is wrong, 5 million, who lost their insurance policies, which is wrong, that means there's a net loss, fewer people have insurance today than they did before obamacare. this is a lie, a big lie. the fact checkers went after it and came up with the conclusion
3:00 pm
i messaged yesterday and mr mr. gutfeld said was untrue. 500,000 of these people, that's all, 500,000 did not have inshrn, so dana, you deserve to get the say i'm sorry. >> i'm not, because who paid for and besides, the show is over. malaysian authorities say deleted data could be the key to missing flight 370. this is "special report." good evening. i'm bret baier. tonight, it's all about the data. deleted files on a pilot's flight simulator. files on computer hard drives, and previously withheld radar information. all that as the u.s. takes a larger role in the 12-day-old investigation. the hunt for flight 370. chief intelligence correspondent catherine herridge has our

160 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on