Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  March 27, 2014 2:00pm-3:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
americans aren't feeling good about where they are going because they are really not feeling good about where this country is going. listen up, washington, because i think a lot of folks are upset. 8:00 p.m. see you then. hello, everyone. eric bolling along with koifl, brian kilmeade. this is "the five." >> president obama and pope francis met for the first time today in vatican city, two influential leaders on two very different paths. our president's approval rating has plunged to 40% in the latest fox news poll while his holiness has and other wordily 85% approval rating. what did the president and pontiff discuss? take a listen. >> i would say that the largest bulk of the time was discussing two central concerns of his.
2:01 pm
one is the issues of the poor, the marginalized, those without opportunity and growing inequality. we actually didn't talk a whole lot about social schisms in my conversations with his wholliness. >> the vatican has a different account of the sit-down releasing this statement, quote. there was a discussion on questions of particular relevance for the church in that country such as the exercise of the rights to religious freedoms, life and conscientious objection. something the president didn't want us to know. bob, let's put it this way. let's do it nicely. one of the two, either the pope or president obama is having a little problem with the truth here. >> not necessarily. by the way, when you put favorability ratings, his holiness, what holiness has never been up at 80%. against a politician. >> deal with it, bob. deal with it. >> give me his holiness any time when i'm out on the campaign so
2:02 pm
i can win. even in a noncatholic area they could win. >> mondale. >> excuse me. >> sorry. >> i think probably they are telling the truth. they are emphasizing different things. obama does not want to emphasize that what the pope was concerned about was obamacare and what it does for contraception and the pope wanted to keep that as his emphasis because that's what they are talking about. politicians come out of meetings and they emphasize what they want to emphasize. >> k.g., look very different, president obama said we didn't talk about any of those -- the social schisms, as he said, but i would call religious freedom in america a social schism, wouldn't you? >> absolutely. that's the headline, and my other headline for this would be rising star, falling star. i mean, when you compare the two individuals, that pretty much sums it up, given obama's recent poll numbers, obamacare's poll numbers and someone like this who is a true natural born leader that is able to communicate and relate to people and is also honest.
2:03 pm
>> why don't you put a republican up against him and see what the polls say. >> let me bring it around this side of the table. president obama's meeting with a guy who is immensely popular. >> yeah. >> immensely popular. president obama is having his own popularity problems right here at home. is he asking for a little advice from the holy father? >> i think he could ask for the little advice, halo effect, appear with someone doing extremely well, looked up to by a wade range of people and good political move to be seen with him. ed henry came out, and we all get the same e-mails, the white house is really trying to downplay the controversial hot button social issues. they told fox the pope-president meeting, income inequality, not saying it was coming up, not the full half hour. that's what he chose to emphasize, and i do understand the pope was spotted in iowa, so he might be looking for a run. >> he may be. >> borrow his cap and his shoes and he'll be fine. >> bob is making light of all of this, in reality, brian makes a very good point. president obama very smart to get next to a guy with an 85%
2:04 pm
approval rating. >> pope francis is a uniter, someone who has united so many standing next to someone who has divided. president obama has been unable to unite our country and pope francis has united so many people under catholicism. >> where do they differ? >> of course he doesn't want to talk about religious freedom. look at hobby lobby and all these issues. he's not fighting to protect religious freedom. >> go back and look at popes until you get back to the inquisition. after that -- >> a president is supposed to unite people. >> 85% rating even among popes is pretty substantial. >> it is. >> in terms of specific issues, stem cell, abortion, gay marriage and, of course, health care which you talked about with hobby lobby, but i also thought with this type of popularity and this type of special pope at his age, at 74, comes off much younger. i'm just wondering if the president could have taken advantage of this pope like
2:05 pm
reagan took advantage of john paul. >> great point. >> let's take a listen to what president obama said at the press conference after the meeting with the pope. let's listen. >> his holiness and the vatican have been clear about their position on a range of issues, some of them i differ with. most i hardly agree with, and, you know, i don't think that his holiness envisions entering into a partnership or coalition with any political figure on any issue. his job is a little more elevated. >> all right. so k.g., let me paraphrase here. president obama says we spoke about income inequality, in other words, the gap between the incomes to -- to shrink. >> rich and the poor. >> ronald reagan in 1982 took a different tact. he said communism is the problem. it's a problem worldwide. let's shake hands and let's work
2:06 pm
on dissolving the communist ideology around the country, around the globe, i'm sorry. >> pivotal historical point, a message that was well received. i think what president obama had to do here was try and focus on something he could have some common ground with the pontiff which is income inequality. he's lived his life to serve the poor, lives by very simple means, a humble individual, man of the people. that's kind of the nexus they wanted to tie in, even as brian made the list, there's such a great divide between their world ideology and how they see things. >> there's not a divide between income inequality. the pope gave a major speech on that. >> that's what i just said. >> can i make a comment about reagan, reagan and pope john paul ii was polish, the timing was perfect for the two against communism. you don't have that here in this
2:07 pm
situation. >> very obviously you can't compare decades and times, but for the president to dismiss it out of hand, that the pope is above all of that, shows a lack of knowledge or lack of willingness to study to see the role it could potentially play. i'll give you an example. if you said what message could the pope help us with as a country and the western world, i would say with islamic extremism, playing a dominant role in trying to get inside that ideology. i would say this there's the movement now of russia in that region, a lot of catholics in eastern europe to combine together and collectively work with us to keep them at bay. >> i don't think those are barack obama's priorities. that's the reason. barack obama -- >> the united states' priority. >> but from barack obama's perspective, this is a guy who talks about income inequality all the time, redistribution of wealth, that is his priority. when he got elected, that was his goal, to make things more equal, to take from one person and give to another. those other things you're suggesting, great ideas, not his priority and he's speaking for himself. >> income inequality is what pope francis has been talking about for the last year.
2:08 pm
>> he took the name francis because francis of assisi took care of the poor. >> that's right. >> something that the republicans ought to learn how to do. >> president reagan at the time saw a very popular pope, and he said you know what, let's work together on something we find is a common ground issue that we need to help and need to fix, communism. president obama says don't get involved in politics, pope francis, i've got this. you take care of the other stuff. >> seized the issue because there was commonality. >> pope john paul ii came on the communist thing because of the solidarity of unions in poland before ronald reagan did. >> absolutely true. >> i'm not disputing that part of the argument. my dispute is what brian touched on. here's an opportunity for a world leader, president barack obama, to attack some of the things, talk about some of the things that matter to the world, and what does he do? he says, no, pope, you handle that stuff. we'll take care of the rest. just like my son who says he's got everything under control. in reality he has nothing under control. >> i just got a report he does have everything under report. >> barack or my son?
2:09 pm
>> ed henry is reporting that your son has it under control. >> income inequality is political. it was a choice. it was a choice of what he should focus on. went for what he had common ground on, make him look good, going to focus on the contraception mandate when everyone in the country is rallying for religious freedom? >> the number one issue which is income inequality. >> also his number one issue. >> so they married up, so that's perfect. >> that's what we're saying, let's resonate. find some common ground. get together. >> i'm sure the pope would have gotten behind other issues as well. >> ronald reagan met with pope john paul ii for 50 minutes and made an incredible pact that ended up taking down the berlin wall and communism. this meeting went for 50 minute, too, at which time maybe they could have made more progress. >> the pope and reagan did that in 50 minutes. >> set the groundwork for doing so, and did it happen a few years later, and how did eric get his name on a mug? >> we actually all got these. >> he bought it.
2:10 pm
>> no, i didn't. >> it was sent to me. can we roll the sound bite, stuff we have to get to. roll this sound bite very quickly, card mal raymond deburke, one of the top cardinals -- no sound bite? we're not going to go to that sound bite. anyway, the guy who said that the -- president obama's policies are, quote, hostile towards christians. bob, we started to talk about this the other day. what more proof do you need that president obama's policies are hostile? >> i don't take as absolute proof what this guy is talking about. clear what he's talking about, abortion and abortion rights. the catholic church has been opposed to the catholic church on that. >> so are you. why are you defending it? >> clearly an obvious thing they will disagree on. they knew that going in, and the vatican wanted to emphasize it, obama wanted to de-emphasize it, it's politics. >> and religious freedom. i'm sure he's also talking about
2:11 pm
they wouldn't want companies forced to oblige government, mandates. >> profits for corporations. >> i don't think they would feel that way. >> i can't go deep in vet can politics but i find it in the vatican readout they don't mention income inequality. in fact, they went out of their way to mention those things that we just been discussing. >> quick, before we go. >> again, it was a missed opportunity for the president. would i have liked him to seize it. nothing negative to say, hey, just let's headache it happen. >> off to saudi arabia. does president obama's approval rating go up or does pope francis' approval rating come down? before we go, we want to check in with shep smith at the fox news desk. >> the u.s. appeals court upheld tough texas abortion restrictions that have been called some of the strictest in the land. they have led to a dozen abortion clinics in the state stop performing the procedure. the law also bans abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. that begins in october of 2014 and requires doctors to perform
2:12 pm
all abortions in surgical facilities. of course, these restrictions gained notoriety when democratic state senator wende davis launched a 13-hour flufrtier on this matter this year. this leaves texas in this position n.2011 there were 44 facilities where people could get abortions this. would take it to six, including none in the rio grand valley, the poorest area of the whole state. eric, back to you. >> thanks very much, shep. big 2016 news. who looks a little closer to a possible run. also breaking developments on chris christie's traffic jam scandal. we have the results of a new investigation, and later we're going to check in with dana and greg. you may notice they are not here today. they are in dallas at the bush presidential center, so stay tuned for all that and a lot more coming up on "the five." hi, guys.
2:13 pm
♪ ♪
2:14 pm
♪ ♪ see what's new at projectluna.com but, please don't try this at home. because you simply can't do this at home.
2:15 pm
go and smell the roses! beautiful day in baltimore where most people probably know that geico could save them money on car insurance, right? you see the thing is geico, well, could help them save on boat insurance too. hey! okay...i'm ready to come in now. hello? i'm trying my best. seriously, i'm...i'm serious. request to come ashore. geico. saving people money on more than just car insurance.
2:16 pm
2:17 pm
political soothesayer won heaps of praise in 2012 after he actually predicted every state that would vote for president obama. now silver has good news for republicans in 2014 and liberals aren't so happy with him anymore. >> republicans need six seats. what's the projection? how many are they going to pick up? >> i would say exactly six, but it's probably six plus or minus five. >> they could pick up 11 seats? >> they could. >> what you're basically saying is a 60% chance that republicans win the senate? >> something like that. >> well, that quickly prompted a rebuttal from the democratic senatorial campaign committee and plenty of other liberals. they are pouncing. rush limbaugh thinks he knows why. >> nate silver must now be disenfranchised and thrown to the wolves because he is not furthering the cause, and they don't care how many lies or distortions are necessary to further the cause because all of liberalism is a lie. silver was the guy that all
2:18 pm
these worried paranoid democrats relied responsible for their sanity, and it probably is going to get worse for the poor guy before it gets better. >> all right. rush nailed it. this is what's going to happen. he'll be ostracized and persona n ho n grata, no invites to d.c. and all the fun parties. what should we do? >> nate silver was the -- he was held up as a liberal hero when he predicted all the states and predicted an obama win. 538 group which is fantastic, by the way, follow 538. now he's into sports and everything. he's so good. a statistician, one of the best. but now he predicts that the republicans take the senate and is an idiot. rush is right. they have to -- they have to discredit him right now, but not since 1980 has anyone been as accurate in predicting presidential races than nate silva. >> look at this guy.
2:19 pm
bob was saying so what, i predicted every state. >> listen, i agree with him. i think there's probably a 60% chance that the republicans can win the senate, although i've had -- they have had a long history of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory, and i think they will screw up, as they usually do, but right now i would say 60% is a chance of picking up the senate. >> so what is wrong -- >> having rush limbaugh again as one of our sots is really something new here. >> interesting to point out the way people turn on somebody because you don't agree with them. probably experienced that directly with the democratic party. people don't like what you say because you say the truth. i see paul krugman going after it with nate silva. his website is-age, major disappointment. you see any little rivalry here? turns out this guy works with numbers. not trying to get girls. not trying to become a matinee star. he's giving people the facts, and everyone gets mad at him. right now anybody will tell you republicans were on a roll. >> this guy has his own
2:20 pm
reputation to uphold, not say what folks on left wanted to say, making predictions like he did for barack obama in the past and now making predictions for republicans. it's just predictions, guys, get used to it. >> you think he could pick up girls? give me a break. >> who cares about that, bob. not everyone cares about it. >> he's telling the truth and this is how you know he plays it straight and he's fair and balanced. i like that. just tell you who you it is. >> i know very few democratic pollsters who would tell you republicans have a good chance of carrying the >> let's talk about 2016, heating up, getting hot in here and that's why bob is getting bothered. rand paul. >> that bothers me. >> he's made this new 50 state network. >> 50 states, they hired 200 people to get the network in place, and i hear, i hear, there's going to be a lot more, and i also hear rand paul is going to spend some time in iowa this summer a couple of times which would indicate at some point about the run. here's what's going on. all the different political
2:21 pm
calls them the invisible primary. rand paul, chris christie and ted cruz with a real strong media presence, and then you have the others, marco rubio, scott walker and jindal who are playing around the outskirts right now. one, jeb bush, is the one with a lot of money and infrastructure to get a lot of money quickly so it's kind of an interesting little heat thing going on. who gets there first? doesn't necessarily mean who is the biggest, but if you -- i saw a speech rand paul. >> he's running, yeah. >> gave last night, a bit of a speech he gave last night in baltimore to a bunch of young people. he's well loved. >> a lot of love and momentum and interesting because he does have now people who are funding him and becoming him financially that have traditionally gone with more conservative candidates, getting more of that pull and libertarians, of course. >> i would say this. the best thing about rand paul to help the whole political process he's not saying i can't get the african-american vote or minorities. i can't get liberals. goes to berkeley and the inner city, doesn't care if he gets booed. that's the most important thing
2:22 pm
any candidate can do. just off the country and try to maximize the republicans that's a problem. republicans aren't embracing him yet. he might have -- might have the base with him, but when you talk about more of an isolationist foreign policy, when you talk about the way he's still on fence on edward snowden, that's not something that jeb bush and marco rubio -- >> i'm personally for hi. i want to see a rand paul, teddy cruz ticket and see what happens. they might break my record of losing 49 states. >> impossible. >> what's key for me is he went to berkeley and didn't get booed. got a bunch of standing ovations because he was talking about privacy rights, talking about things that young people really care about. he's doing the outreach that the republican party has not been doing for a real long time and if ted cruz, all these guys better be watching, jeb bush. i don't care how much money you have, you need to appeal to young people. >> absolutely right. >> that's rand paul's message. it shouldn't be mitt romney, shouldn't be kasich or christ yee. be authentic.
2:23 pm
be authentic. >> it works. >> let's listen to -- this is christie's lawyer saying that the governor was not involved in the plot to shut down the traffic. take a listen. >> we found that governor christie had no knowledge beforehand of this george washington bridge realignment idea and that he played no role whatsoever in that decision or the implementation of it. >> eric, another 2016 hopeful here coming out with a strong, you know, message saying, look, i did an investigation, well researched. i had no culpability or wrongdoing in this. does it help him horhurt him for 2016? >> tony soprano's lawyer said almost the exact same thing. i'm kidding. just kidding, chris christie, in all your -- your infrastructure, don't call me. just kidding. of course they are going to say he had no knowledge. did he know? right now he's damaged goods. that will probably pass as well
2:24 pm
but here's the big issue, and he keeps doing it, and he did it again today or yesterday, i'm not sure. he keeps taking the shots at the libertarians. this is not a way to win. remember, united we stand, divided we get another clinton. >> i'd love to see it. i'd love to see a primary with a chris christie and a rand paul and let chris christie go after the libertarian and let them go at each other and let the country see the difference and see that the republican party does have a lot of diversity and let them choose. >> remember. newt gingrich changed his immigration policy because he got backlash. everybody is trying to mold with the polls. i like that rand paul is different than chris christie, like that they go at it because the candidate gets nominated, everybody understands they are not going to change and will probably be the same. this is what i look for now. governor christie is going to start the media blitz. wouldn't be surprise federal he's sitting here in "the five" between you two in a couple of weeks. >> not enough room. >> can i make one point. >> can you tell bolling is on instagram with? >> that's what i want, my lawyer getting up and saying that i'm
2:25 pm
clear. my lawyer would stand up and say i've never had a drink or a drug in my life. the guy they bring out is his paid lawyer to say he's clean. come on. you can do better than that >> i like the red tie. >> all right. >> coming up, we are hearing for the first time from a family member of the pilot of that missing malaysian plane. what the son of captain shaw wants the world to know about his father next.
2:26 pm
wants the world to know about dentures are very different to real teeth. they're about 10 times softer and may have surface pores where bacteria can multiply. polident kills 99.99% of odor causing bacteria and helps dissolve stains. that's why i recommend polident. [ male announcer ] cleaner, fresher, brighter every day.
2:27 pm
you really love, what would you do?" ♪ [ woman ] i'd be a writer. [ man ] i'd be a baker. [ woman ] i wanna be a pie maker. [ man ] i wanna be a pilot. [ woman ] i'd be an architect. what if i told you someone could pay you and what if that person were you? ♪ when you think about it, isn't that what retirement should be, paying ourselves to do what we love? ♪
2:28 pm
2:29 pm
a son of the pilot of the missing malaysian plane has just broken his sigh helps. that in a moment but first a quick update on dozens still missing after the deadly mudslide in the west. dan springer has the latest from arlington, washington. dan? >> reporter: yeah, bob, the size of this tragedy is now starting to come into focus.
2:30 pm
we know about 25 bodies found but that's just about the beginning. there's 90 people still missing, and that's an accurate number and the community should be prepared for most, if not all of those people, to be found dead. we're also getting a better handle on how many permanent residents were in that neighborhood that was completely leveled, about 180, and then we now know that there were people killed in their cars just driving down the highway gone in an instant. a woman's body was found late yesterday. this massive recovery could take weeks, and some victims, we are told, may never be found. one reason why the official death toll is still at 16 is because the medical examiners on scene cannot keep up with those search people. some survivors and others are upset that they were not told about the landslide danger. washington governor jay enslie says the state has to reassess how they determine landslide dangers. >> the youngest son of the
2:31 pm
missing jet pilot just spoke to the press. he told he's been ignoring all the speculation about his father and doesn't believe he could be responsible for the plane's disappearance. all right. eric. we expect the son to say that, right? >> yeah, and, again, it's really hard to continue to talk about this and speculate, because when you're speculating about whether or not the pilot had issues, link to terror or mental issues that might have brought the plane down, this man is still innocent. i mean, as far as -- there's absolutely no evidence that says he's done anything other than being a victim of this flight as well so it's very hard to do it, and i feel for the family and have to feel for the pilot's family right now. unless there's some evidence that turns out to be different, right now they are grieving just as badly as 237 other families that are grieving. >> jedidiah? >> he says they are ignoring the speculation. that's very hard to do. turn on the news, people with constant different theories. you can ignore it all you want. of course it enters his mind. you have to process that.
2:32 pm
very sad they have no answers for these families. >> by the way, the weather is going to break saturday, sunday, and that's when we'll find out if the japanese, the french, the australians and the thais, satellite photos and some of the things that the chinese pilots actually saw is debris, we'll get to the bottom of it, but it is very interesting the fact that he was having a terrible day. he was having an emotional issue, so we're not saying he's guilty at all. everybody has had bad days, and we haven't crashed planes and killed 200-plus people. looking for clues forensically putting it together, very curious what's on that simulator which they now have out? >> what's on his computer in the fbi has that. i think that's going to be very telling. what was the last call he made? who was that to? a lot of investigative work they can do, retrieving files. even deleted files can be retrieved, so that's going to be really significant and depending on, you know, when we get that information. but at the same time i'm happy to hear from the son. i want to hear what everyone has to say.
2:33 pm
i want the malaysian government to question the wife of this man, tell us what you know about him and why did she take off, and the girlfriend. >> and the girlfriend. >> so wait a minute. >> what about the rest of the passengers? you want the malaysian government to go -- like i said, the deep dive into the backgrounds of every one of those, especially the two -- >> until it's solved. >> the two that paid cash and through an iranian middle man. >> yes, yes, i do. >> maybe the pilot is innocent. >> why are we focusing on -- >> granted he has control of that, i get that, but at this point knowing what we know. >> by the way, why do you fly the plane. brian brought it up for seven hours to take a nosedive in the ocean. making a lot of sense? >> yesterday we said there were sightings of 122 pieces of debr debris. several more dozens of pieces of debris, but we don't know what that degree is. as eric said yesterday it could be fish. it is all in the same area, so it does have some indication. all right. ahead on "the five," our pals
2:34 pm
dana and greg are in dallas today at the bush presidential center. want to know why they are doing that, you have to stick around. ñ
2:35 pm
2:36 pm
2:37 pm
2:38 pm
eventually the camera will get to me, i think. what the heck? there's a big event happening tonight at the bush presidential center in dallas. don't miss it if you're in the area, especially if you are a dallas cowboy. dana perino will be interviewing greg gutfeld about his new book "not cool" and guess who is her an exclusive preview. you won't find this on cavuto or wolf blitzer. you guys are giving us the story. are you nervous about interviewing greg in front of all of these people? >> no. kidding, a little bit, yes, i'm
2:39 pm
a little nervous. this is a big deal for me because i was excited to show greg, at least a replica of what my life used to be like and we're going to do a little tour and show that to "the five" next week sometime, but tonight i'm excited to talk to greg about his book because i have to give him a compliment. it's a real good read. >> you have to. >> you have to give me a compliment. i think it's a very important book. in order for you to see dana she's sitting on four copies. it's not just a great read. it's a booster seat for tiny people. >> got a little something for you. ready, one, two, three. ♪ my eyes adore you >> look, after last night, can you not confirm that greg can write? >> now come on. let me ask you something. if you guys were in my position tonight and had a chance to ask greg something in front of all of these people, sold-out crowd tonight at the bush center.
2:40 pm
>> 20,000 people. >> what would you ask him? >> i would ask him if the 2016 gop candidate, does that candidate need to be cool by society standards in order to win, in order to get elected? >> that is an excellent question. i say that you have to play the game which means you've got to be able to laugh at yourself, have a sense of humor, try and quell the outrage. you've got to be able to do what the democrats do which is be telegenic and be fast on your feet. you've got to -- you've got to lose the stiff stereotype but got to run on substance, not style. we need a president with stub stance. we haven't had one for eight years or seven years or six years, how many years it was. >> you had to get that in. i had to do that. >> anyone else have a tip more me? >> number one, don't be afraid of the follow-up question and don't be afraid to make him cry with personal questions, probing questions into his background. get him to weep and show the personal side of greg gutfeld
2:41 pm
which we don't see which would be uncool which would be perfect for your book. >> i would ask him if he's cool. >> the answer is no. >> yes you are too cool. >> the answer is no, i'll tell you, why because i don't believe in the word cool because it's value relative. the reason why cool is evil because nobody says things are good or bad anymore. they say it's cool, and that allows people to do bad things because it's called cool so instead you're either good or bad. i feel that i'm good and bad. >> i don't know what value relative means, but i'll take your word for it. >> i know you don't know what it means. >> i want you to tell eric because his favorite president was ronald reagan and you were there last night. tell the things they were asking you about bob. >> they always ask, you know, does bob really believe in the things that he believes in, and i always say yes, but he never remembers them which is great. >> that's very accurate. okay. so, greg, we heard that this event is sold out so we launched an investigation and wanted to know who exactly is bight
2:42 pm
tickets, and what we uncovered is there's somebody that goes by the name tiny d. do you know who that is? >> tiny d is the code phrase for a -- a rapper, a young diminutive rapper with blond hair. >> of amazing ability. >> amazing limited ability. >> and her voice is just incredible. >> the people here are great. we've met a lot of them already. they are wonderful people. by the way, they are huge fans of "the five." this would not be sold out if it wasn't for "the five." everybody loves this show out here and the same thing at the reagan library. massive "five" fans everywhere. everybody doing this, and they know i hate it, but they keep doing it. >> and you're even doing it. >> they keep doing this. >> can we point out that greg's book premiered the first week, debuted number seven on the "new york times" best-seller list. my question for you, guys. >> yes. >> after this is all said and done and after the speech and everything, you have a few hours to unwind, greg you like a glass
2:43 pm
of wine, dana you'll have a glass of wine. >> dana likes red. >> what's the rest of your evening after this speech? >> well, i actually -- i turned down a dinner invitation with greg. in fact, i'm going to go home, go to bed and get on a flight so i can be back sitting next to you tomorrow. >> very good answer, perino. >> an answer for all you liberals. read this book. it's a very good read, very well written. >> yeah. >> and there's four of you listening. >> the greatest compliment to you, bob, is that you're not cool. it's actually a compliment. >> i mean, that's obvious. >> dana, try to do the best so they see greg's personality and his charm, just not the witty snark so try to ask him questions. >> we'll try to keep it contained. >> and greg wear cologne. >> i'm doing the whole interviews shirtless. >> fantastic. >> i hope you wax. >> 25,000 people just cancelled. listen, guys, going to be great. what a thrill. reagan library, bush library,
2:44 pm
dana perino. that's a great mix. congratulations on being uncool and writing about it. greg, good job, guys. greg, i'll keep the seat warm until you're healthy. >> that sounds very weird. don't keep it warm. >> bye, guys. >> thanks. coming up straight ahead. one federal judge and self-professed dirty old man has taken it upon himself to tell female lawyers what they shouldn't wear in the courtroom. is he out of order? that story next. bring up the music.
2:45 pm
♪ ♪
2:46 pm
2:47 pm
2:48 pm
a federal judge in nebraska has some fashion advice for female lawyers in a controversial blog post. it's titled "on being a dirty old man and how young women lawyers dress." senior district judge richard coff writes, quote, there's a wonderfully talented and very pretty female lawyer, she wears short skirts and shows a lot of her ample chest. word had gotten around about this lawyer's dress, close quote. three rules for young female lawyers on what to wear. one, you can't win. men are both pigs and pruds, get
2:49 pm
over it. two, it's not about you. that goes double when you're appearing in front of a jury. and, three, think about the female law clerks if they are likely to label you like jane curtain an innew york city "s" word that we can't say on tv behind your back, tone it down. this guy, amazing. i don't know if you got a chance to look at the post. it's incredible. kimberly, i have to go to you because you've been in the courtroom. does he have a valid point? >> i don't know, how awesome is this outfit? >> not trying the case. >> if i was trying a case you'd see something like this, okay? >> pearls. >> that's sexy in its own way. >> never would wear this to court. >> you wouldn't show it? >> absolutely not. not with the kind of cases i was trying, murder cases, no way. >> if you were in the courtroom would you show your ample chest, is that what he said, ample chest? he's just trying to be help ffu
2:50 pm
>> the word is slut. >> be very respectful to the court, to the judge and the jurors and you should not overshare any of your assets. bob, he says -- >> ample or otherwise. >> bob, he says that men are both pigs and prudes or disagree? >> i sort of agree, sort of on the piggy side. don't like the idea that he got the dirty old man title. >> gave it to himself. >> i know. he wants it. >> oh, you want it. >> that's one i've had for a long time. >> maybe you can share it. >> yeah, okay. brian, what do you think? >> i think it's a copout to say i was a dirty old man since i was a young man. straighten up, you're in the court, and i'm just curious. if you could try a case and you have an asset which is a great body and a great figure, you've got to do everything you can to be successful, so if it means somebody in the jury is going to be swung to your side because of the fact that you work out --
2:51 pm
>> that's if you're having an all male jury. every time i would try to tone it all down, tone it all down because every time the defense attorney, juror number seven, number five, number 12 and kicked all the guys off the jury. >> under scrutiny, you find out if you're guilty or innocent and you have to go up against the -- the attorney with -- showing the ample chest. this is what -- this is what is going to determine my faith. she's showing ample chest. >> the highest court the most conservative outfit. >> wear a nice pair of shoes and appropriate outfit and look good. >> isn't it sexist to bring it up? >> is it sexist? >> i don't care. i care about justice and winning the case and i don't want anything else to interfere with this, i don't want someone interfered with the color of my dress. would not wear this to try a
2:52 pm
ca case. >> the last question to eric. should this guy have an opinion blog at all? should he be giving his opinion on a whole range of topics? >> just being helpful. >> just trying to be helpful. >> trying to improve the dress code. >> listen, unbelievable, a federal judge, right? >> wow. >> talking about this -- >> he can say what he want. >> he apologized but his apology was a little weak, let's just say that. >> one more thing is up next. [ male announcer ] a body at rest tends to stay at rest...
2:53 pm
while a body in motion nds to stay in motion. staying active can ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, this can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain and improve daily physical function so moving is easier. because just one 200mg cebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain.
2:54 pm
and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high bloodressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions, or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't takeebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or inteste, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or thro, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
2:55 pm
2:56 pm
time for one more thing and bob starts. >> the north korean leader kim jong-un who has a haircut that comes from hell has decree that had all 13 million men in his country have the same haircut. do we have a picture of this haircut? see, this would be me with his haircut. you've got could be kidding me. telling people how to wear their hair is just ridiculous and if our producer was here he couldn't because he has no hair. >> that's not your haircut. >> k.g., you're up next. >> that guy is so deranged. >> and you have a picture there of president obama with the hairdo and you didn't even show it. let's get on to jimmy kimmel since it's been a while since we had kimmel in our part of his s
2:57 pm
youtube where kids were asked to say a naughty word and did a takeoff on that, and this is what happened. >> hush. >> stupid, poop. you're ugly. >> and there were a few other ones in there, but it was very cute, adorable. check it out. i'm sure it's online. jimmy kimmel is very good, and i miss jay leno. >> i'll go. sn snapchat 2016, check it out. look, this is her picture and she drew the rest in. that's me. kimberly, please. there's kimberly, it says i heart bob and how about dana, look at this one. there's jasper, and on greg. there's greg with the glasses and how about andrea, and
2:58 pm
there's andrea, and how about bob, there's bob. >> okay. >> that's chatme and make him creative. >> brian, you're up. >> bush 41, who has come all the way back, doing well a year and a half ago and doing fantastic. johnny manziel did not have the greatest combine, heisman trophy winner from two years ago. going to have a pro day and before i have a pro day i'm going to go visit bush 41, went to texas a&m, bush a big alumnus there. he went and visited bush 41, just hanging how the in the living room. afterwards, the former president of the united states trying on johnny's helmet. afterwards, the next day he returned the favor by surprising him, hopping on the golf cart and going out to the stadium and watching him play. he lit it up, did it in full uniform and completed pass after pass. the texans have the first pick. have some courage and get the next fran tarkenton and make him your number one pick. do it. he looks so good. >> a lot of people thought he
2:59 pm
was too small. >> wouldn't disagree. >> skidmore college, a private liberal arts college in upstate new york, is offering a summer course on miley cyrus, i kid you no. it's a sociology course, and the professor says it's meant to focus on gender, race, class, fame and power. professor carolyn sherrenoff. i'm told the classes will be twerk-free. >> i doubt it. >> i have been told, who knows, maybe some demonstrations going on but i think it's interesting. bringing in pop culture. i don't know how you feel about this, but definitely a different take on education. >> a class on class? >> sociology, a class on miley cyrus. >> maybe it's lack thereof in some cases. >> american culture, is it in decline? >> absolute ly. >> you bring in justin bieber, talk about what's going on with young people, what does power do
3:00 pm
to them? >> i think it could be interesting, but just no twerking. >> might not fail that class. >> never miss an episode of "the five." be right back here tomorrow. bret baier, i think. "special report" on deck. >> about to find out. >> the president and the pope, trying to find common ground on what they actually talked about. this is "special report." good evening. i'm chris wallace in for bret baier. president obama called it a great honor to have today's audience with pope francis at the vatican, but while both are men of faith, there were real differences, not only on philosophy but over what they discussed. chief white house correspondent ed henry is traveling with the president and reports tonight from rome. >> reporter: it was a tale of two meetings, the president and the pontiff all smiles amid pomp and circuman

516 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on