Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  February 28, 2016 3:00pm-4:01pm PST

3:00 pm
sweetheart we are super excited to wake up with you in the morning and so is america. we will see you back here tomorrow on super tuesday eve so keep it on the fox news channel. >> i am chris wallace as we head to super tuesday, the biggest voting day of the republican campaign, we will sit down with donald trump, ted cruz and marco rubio. on fox news sunday. trump gets a big endorsement. >> the best person to beat hillary clinton in november is undoubtedly donald trump. >> donald trump joins us to explain how he intends to see membership the standing as the front runner. >> marco rubio and ted cruz finally team up. >> relax, donald. >> i'm relaxed. you are the nasty case. >> statue of limitations on lies. >> we will talk live with ted cruz would has more ride on super tuesday than any other candidate as he defends the whom
3:01 pm
state of -- home state of texas and marco rubio launches all out attack against trump. >> we have a con artist as the frontrunner in the republican party. >> and we ask our sunday panel what they will look for as voters go to the polls in a dozen states across the country all right now on for which news sunday. >> hello again from fox news in washington. we begin with the results from last night's democratic primary in south carolina. and land side does not do justice to what hillary clinton did there. she got 73% to bernie sanders 26% with a report of democratic race later in the hour. first, a belt for the republican nomination holding into super tuesday. donald trump coming off three consecutive wins set for a she down with ted cruz in the senator's home state with the biggest prize of 155 deaths, jut one of 11 states going to the
3:02 pm
polls with a total of 595 delegates, almost half of what is needed to win the nomination. with the states rising the three frontrunners have escalated their attacks and we will talk with all of them. joining us first is the frontrunner, donald trump, welcome back to fox news sunday. getting right to it, marco rubio said that you are a "con artist." >> it is time to take the mask off of the guy, he is a guy that portrays himself as defender of the little guy in the country and exploiting working americans for 40 years. >> your response and what do you think of marco rubio? >> i think he is a lightweight. he could not get elected dog catch federal he goes back to florida he will lose. he abandoned florida and is not liked there, deceived and defrauded florida and said he would be a senator and he does not show up to the meeting. he is a guy who -- i don't thing
3:03 pm
-- think he thinks he is hot stuff because he is not. i call him little marco. but he is very nasty guy. so is ted cruz by way. nasty. they teamed up, i saw them shaking hands, let's go and see if we can get him because they establishment guys. establishment guys. as far as the con, that is insulting, i built unbelievable company and by the way i filed with the fcc, the federal elections, almost 100 pages of financials that show a worth of over $10 billion is what i have built and i had number one best severals including "art of the deal," the number one best seller business book of all time, "apprentice," was a top show on television, a top --. >> more trump --. >> you think of that as being a con man.
3:04 pm
>> i stipulate -- he is a con man. >> i step you are successful businessman but we go through the specific allegations that marco rubio raised. he said that you hired 200 illegal immigrants from poland back in the early 80s to clear the site for the trump tower but the fact is the calmed polish brigade did work on the project. >> let me tell you how sad it is. it was more than 35 years ago. can you imagine with all i have done, i have built buildings all over the world, and he comes up with one thing from 35 years. i did not hire them they were hired, chriss by a contractor. i hired a contract and i hired a contractor for demolition. he had polish workers in his force among others by the way, and he had polish workers and that is all it is. 35 years ago. by the way, the laws were
3:05 pm
totally different 35 years ago. but 35 years ago i hired a demolition contractor to knock down a building to make way for trump tower and can you imagine they bring that up from so many years ago? by the way, different laws and i did not hire the polish workers. >> let me ask you about that if i may because some of the workers were sleeping at the site because they were illegal immigrants and they were pulling 12-hour shifts, are you saying you did not know that? >> in construction many people sleep on the site even now on site because they save money by doing that and you are not supposed to do it but contractors all over the city and all over many other cities sleep right on the site. that is a fairly common practice. it happens. it happens with many, many contractors. now, just so you understand i hired a contractor. the contractor came in with people. some of his people were poll in. some of them came -- but i did
3:06 pm
mutt have criminal over that. you did not have e verify in those days like i do now like the old post office on pennsylvania avenue, i have e verify and everything is absolutely perfect. it is perfect. >> let me talk about a --. >> 35 years ago, this little marco, 35 years ago i built a building and 35 years ago, that is the best they can do? that is pretty sad. >> let me give you something else, that he is hitting you on trump university a program that you helped set up, that you said to share your real estate knowledge and you could help people invest a super pac that is opposed to you is running this ad. take a look. >> all of it was just fake. america, do not make the same misstake i did with donald trump i got hurt badly and i would hate to see the country get
3:07 pm
hurt. >> trump university has promise that instructers on your real estate genius would be hand picked by you but, in fact, the story is that a lot of people were picked so they could get people to sign up and one was a manager from a buffalo wild wing. did you hand pick the instructers or not? >> many of them were hand picked and i hand picked our people and the people who did a good joe and ran a good school and i tell you about the school. it had an "a" rating from the better business bureau and the people you have on there have given a great report cars because everyone that took a course almost everyone signed a document and rated the school, they rated the course what they learned, was it good, not a huge amount of money, necessity did not pay a huge amount, but what happened --. >> some of them paid $35,000. >> wait, wait, wait, 98% of people that took the --. >> that is a lot of money. >> 98% of the people that took
3:08 pm
the courses we have report cards and 98% approved the courts and thought they were terrific. just so you understand, i could have settled the case a long-term ago. i will win the case in course because i do that i win cases in court. >> let me ask about that. because this week, this weekend --. >> i do not settle. >> let me ask you this you went after the judge in one of the trump university lawsuits, here you are. >> right. >> there is hostility to me by the judge, tremendous hostility, beyond belief. i believe he happens to be spanish, which is fine. he is hispanic. which is fine. we have not asked for recusal which we may do but we have a judge who is hostile. >> the attorney general of new york after those remarks accused of racial demagoguery mentioning
3:09 pm
that he is hispanic. >> the judge has been extremely hostile to me and it these do because i am very strong on the border and he has been extremely hostile to me a case in our opinion should have been won a long time ago on summary ajudgment. this is -- we have a very hostile judge. he is hispanic i believe. he is a very hostile judge. now, the attorney general --. >> wait, why are you bringing up that he is hispanic? >> it does raises the question. >> because you bring it up, because you say, how the hispanics don't like donald trump you bring it up in the poll numbers saying his packs don't like donald trump, you bring it up. >> i don't thing i ever prosecute it up. >> i don't think i ever brought it up. >> well --. >> but you cannot blame this one on me.
3:10 pm
>> will trump do well with international space station expansion. in nevada i won with the hispanics so that good but it is a very hostile judge and this is a judge that in my opinion does not like donald trump. >> okay we will talk about the tax returns because those cruz and rubio released part of their tax returns. you are refusing to release any of your tax returns. back in 2012 when you were flirting with running for president, you said that releasing your tax returns would be "a great thing," to show how successful you are. you say you are under audit but you can still release them according to the i.r.s. commissioner but flee questions you can answer without releasing a ball pack figure, 2014 runs you have filed under penalty of perjury ballpark what was your gross income and effective tax rate and how much did you give to charity?
3:11 pm
>> first of all let me tell you something, as you know i have filed unbelievable amount of documents as to my net worth and as to the company i built, almost 100 pages with the federal elections commission. you know that is filed. you don't learn --. >> i do know that. >> i filed with --. yes, i filed as to net worth and values and everything else. by the way, people in your profession were unbelieveably impressed. you cannot learn anything about tax returns from net worth. the tabs returns are being audited. i have been audited for many, many years, and it is very unfair, i don't know why but for some reason the i.r.s. audits me virtually every year. >> can you tell us your gross income? >> i have bench singled out. >> can you tell us your gross
3:12 pm
income for 2014 or your effective tax rate? >> you know what you do, you know what you do? go down to the federal elections commission and take out my financial disclosure forms. when you tack about ted cruz, he did not put on he is borrowing money from bank all identify the place and he borrowed a lot of money from banks at a low interest rate, that you could not get. believe me. you could never get that interest rate but he borrowed from goldman sachs and citibank and does not include that in the physical disclosure form. i put down 100 page of investments and deals. he did not disclose. probably illegally he did not disclose he had $1 million in loans at low interest rate. don't tell me about that. >> wait, wait, wait. i have two more questions i have to ask you. and i have two minutes. we will try and get the votes. you raise add new issue on friday, you want to change the libel laws to make it easier to
3:13 pm
sue. >> when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win a lot money. we are going to open up the libel laws. >> is that really the kind of president you will be if you don't like an article you are going to sue a newspaper or a network and tie them up if litigation? by the way the supreme court has ruled on this to open up the live laws and make it easier to sue us, for instance, you have to win them constitution. >> in england i can tell you it is very much different and easier. it is very unfair weapon "new york times" can write a story they know is pulse they told me they know it is false and i say why don't you pull the story and they will not. because they cannot be sued and you can't be sued because you can say anything you want and that is not fair. i want fairness. i would work to open up the live laws so if you write something wrong, i want everyone to write
3:14 pm
what they want to write but if you write something that is wrong and at least knowingly wrong but wrong a person like me and other people can bring lawsuits to have it corrected and to get damage. >> finally, i have a minute left, overtime, but what the leg, do you expect to lock up the nomination with your performance on super tuesday effectively to lock up the knox inflation and this week you won endorsements from new jersey governor chris christie and maine governor and house majority leader mccarthy said he could work with you which raises the question, are you becoming a captive of the establishment or is the establishment surrendering to donald trump? >> i expect to do well on tuesday. we will have 25,000 people today in alabama and we had 15,000 yesterday in tennessee and we had a tremendous amount of people, probably 15,000 in arkansas in a hangar, an airport
3:15 pm
hangar. it is a movement. weave a movement going, something really special and to have paul's endorsement and sarah palin and chrisistie and the sheriff from arizona, the king of border, when he endorsed you, you have the best border plan, in question, and jerry fall well jr. i am winning with the evangelicals betting everyone with the evangelicals i love them. we are winning with the military, we are winning with the vets. we are winning with everyone. i am really thrilled by it. we will do very well on tuesday and beat out the establishment, the establishment is disgraceful, little marco is doing not is well down 20 points and the people in florida cannot stand him. he could not be electing do watcher in florida. >> we heard that, i want to thank you for answering questions and for your team, sir. see you at the fox debate thursday in detroit.
tv-commercial
3:16 pm
>> we will talk with marco rubio in a few minutes but ted cruz on whether texas is "do or die" for his campaign. this is joanne.
3:17 pm
3:18 pm
her long day as a hair stylist starts with shoulder pain when... hey joanne, want to trade the all day relief of 2 aleve with 6 tylenol? give up my 2 aleve for 6 tylenol? no thanks. for me... it's aleve.
3:19 pm
a look outside the beltway >> a look outside the beltway at the texas state capital in austin. senator ted cruz has told supporters this super tuesday will be "the most important night of the campaign." the state of texas is the biggest prize in a must win for the senator. ted cruz is in arkansas now. welcome back, senator. good morning, chris. >> senator, you used to say you viewed super tuesday and the
3:20 pm
race and the primary as a "firewall," for your campaign but according to the latest polls the original states you are leading in are arkansas and your home state of texas. if you don't win in the south on super tuesday are you in big trouble? >> chris, what we have seen in the primaries is the first four states have narrowed the field we started with 17 candidates and it is now more narrow and super tuesday will continue to do that. 65% of republican primary voters do not think donald trump is the right candidate to go head to head with hillary clinton and he agrees with her on too many issues and too vulnerable to lose in the general election. the only campaign, the only candidate that has beaten donald trump and that can beat donald trump is our campaign and on super tuesday i hope and believe conservatives will get behind our campaign because if you are one of the 65% of republicans that does not want to see trump
3:21 pm
as our nominee or a blow out in november, i ask you to come support us and stand with us because that is the only way to stop donald is to stand together behind our campaign. >> in are problems in terms of your support. you are running as a social conservative and political outsider but i will put up troubling numbers for you from the south carolina exit polls. trump beat you among evangelicals 34% to 26% and among voteers who say they want the next president to be from "outside the political establishment," they went for trump, 63% to 13%. isn't donald trump beating you, senator, at your own game? >> a primary is an extended conversation and donald trump has told us many, many times in his own words, seven months ago, he said, he was a member of establishment. we saw the debate this past week where donald laid out, he is a
3:22 pm
washington deal maker. it is washington deals that have bankrupted this country. if you want more washington deals, donald trump is your guy. that is why harry reid said donald trump was his favorite republican because harry reid said donald trump will cut deals with discuss we can work with him we saw it in the debate when from donald trump took me on and said ted you have to be willing to compromise on the supreme court, if you are at home i give you my word as president i will not compromise away your religious liberty rights or away your second amendment rights. donald trump is telling us he will sit down with harry reid and chum schumer and give away supreme court justice antonin scalia seat so your second amendment tries are in jeopardy and it is worth remembering, donald trump is someone who supported bill clinton national ban on firearms for the most popular guns in america we need
3:23 pm
a president who does not cut deals to give away the rights but stands with working men and women. >> i will pick up often question of the scour, because one of your pitches is you say you are a consistent conservative and you would appoint a strong conserve stiff to the court to replace supreme court justice antonin scalia and you say that george w. bush made a mistake naming john roberts in 2005. >> i would not have nominated john roberts and governor bush pointed out why. it wasn't that the president bush wants to appoint a liberal to the court. it was the ease are choice. >> senator, that is not what you said when roberts was nominated to the court in 2005. i will put up an article you wrote with the time "the right stuff," in 2005, roberts nominated to the court. you wrote "john roberts should
3:24 pm
be a quick confirm, as a jurist, judge robert's approach will be that of his entire career: carefully, faithfully applying the constitution and legal precedent." this was a long article, sir, you wrote for the "national review," and you seemed at the time an enthusiastic supporter of john roberts. >> it is true, when george w. bush nominated him i supported the republican president in the nomination. that was a mistake in hindsight. be absolutely clear i would not have nominated ron jobs i would have nominated my former boss on the court of appeals, a prove were conservative who had decades on the court defending conservative principles and the difference was too many republican presidents are not willing to spend the capital to nominate and confirm a principled conservative. i spent my entire life fighting to defend the constitution and bill of rights and when it comes
3:25 pm
to the supreme court i will invest every bit of political capital to ensure that the bill of rights is there. >> sir, when you wrote in the article that john roberts would carefully and faithfully apply the constitution and legal precedent, it sounds like you were saying more than i'm falling in line with the george bush nomination and you did not have to write that am, you did. >> it is correct, i supported the republican nominee but it is interesting, i noticed you did not ask donald trump about his saying that his sister who is a liberal radical pro-abortion clinton appointee would make a phenomenal supreme court justice donald has told us he will cut deals. we saw not last debate on immigration when i was leading the firefighter against the marco rubio and schumer gang of eight amnesty bill, and together with millions of american we defeated am fast donald was funding the gang of eight giving $50,000 to five members of the
3:26 pm
gang of eight. >> doesn't he give money to you. >> supporting open border democrats. >> a sir, did he not give money to you? >> sorry? >> does he give money to you? [ inaudible ] to my leadership pac which he taxes around like candy. he has supported open border democrats for decades and supported jimmy carter over ronald reagan and supported john kerry over bush and contributed to hillary clinton and chuck schumer, anyone who supports radical liberals does not care about conservatives. he doesn't care about securing the border because those are the open border who led the gang of eight and what was striking, donald was talking about on cnn the hotel in florida, where they bring in foreign workers by the hundreds and they will not hire americans.
3:27 pm
he said gob, you cannot find americans to work as waiters and waitresses, now, that isry difficult louse with will months of americans who is worked and want to work as waiters especially in their hotel in palm beach. >> senator, i have another question and your campaign has been involved in a series of incidents that people are calling dirty tricks. i want to put up a list of them. in with what the ted cruz campaign superintendent out tweets saying that ben carson was suspending the campaign. that was false. the campaign put out flyers accusing people of voting violations. that was false. in south carolina, a ted cruz super pac attacked trump over the confederate flag and your communications director posted a link this week accusing marco rubio of disrespecting the bible and that was false. do you take full responsibility for the campaign other than the super pac for the series of incidents and what it says about the culture of the campaign you
3:28 pm
are running. >> every accusation you raise is incorrect and i appreciate your reading "the donald" trump attack file. >> wait, sirs, you personally apologized to ben carson and you fired your communications director, and --. wait, don't call it a file. >> don't interrupt me. >> please don't say, or accuse me of something. >> go ahead let me know when i can answer. >> don't accuse me of something i did not do, you apologized for one, and you fired a communications director. >> chris, our campaign from the beginning has been the highest level of integrity when others have engaged in personal attack and insult, we don't respond in kind and it was striking you had donald trump on the air and did you not ask him about the fact he sent out a fabricated quote from senator tom coburn impugn ing my integrity, and he
3:29 pm
said it was an utter fabrication but donald continued to say what he knew was false and you did not ask about the white supremacist group supporting for donald trump saying do not vote for a cuban but vote for donald trump but when it comes to telling the truth did you not ask abut the fact in the last debate i asked true or false you support socialized medicine, the capacity paying for health care and he said false and it is directly contrary to what he said for 20 years on the record. chris, the facts matter. i understand --. >> senator. >> there are folks that don't want to focus on the facts but the voters care about the truth, they care about donald trump. >> senator cruz, we are not out of time. first of all, i don't think anyone is going to think i did an easy interview i asked about plenty of things if you want to ask those questions you will get the opportunity at the follow debate on thursday. thanks for making time for us on
3:30 pm
this very busy weekend, sir. next, senator marco rubio on his any strategy of open warfare against donald trump. is it too late? open warfare against donald trump. is it too late?
3:31 pm
3:32 pm
3:33 pm
this week donald trump >> this week, donald trump called senator marco rubio among other things, a basket case, a lightweight, a choke artist, and yes as we heard, little marco.
3:34 pm
he was just returning fire after marco rubio launched a barrage of attacks against him. i spoke with marco rubio on saturday in alabama to discuss his new strategy. >> senator rubio i want to start with the question that a last political insiders are asking, why did you wait so long to go after donald trump? i have to assume all of this stuff was in your research files for months. wasn't a big miscalculation to wait until he was in such a strong position? >> that is a legitimate and important question and a couple of points we were attack by a budge of other people during the race, responding to that and the other, i believed that voters would see through this con job and it has not happened. high has convinced a lot of people. i believe a first-rate con art sift on the verge of taking over the party of lincoln and reagan and now or never we need to remind people of what is at stake. we are about to lose the conservative movement to someone
3:35 pm
who is not a conservative and the party of lincoln and reagan to a con art it. >> at a rally trump said that he may ask the judge in the trump university case who we mentioned is his expansion to recuse himself because he is so hostile. your reaction? >> i thought trump said he who wins the hispanic vote. he said he was so popular among the latinos so he should want to keep him on the case if that is true. this is part of the cloud act what happens when someone is caught like donald trump as a con artist a guy you talk about trump university earlier in the program who want to people trying to improve their lives and convinced them to come to the program he created paying thousands of dollars and got nothing. now he is trying to pull the ultimate con job to get ahold of the united states of america and going to the struggle americans who are hurting economically and he is preying pop those fears and those anxieties to get them to give him the vote and he has been successful. it has to end. we cannot allow there guy to
3:36 pm
become the republican nominee, the democrats will tear him 20 shreds and has the party in 9 conserve different movement and more importantly the election and that means america will stay on the road it is on right now which is the road of decline. >> trump fired back at you in the debate while you were firing at him talking about your finances. >> i hired tens of thousands of people and you have --. >> you hired a thousand. >> you have nothing but problem with your credit cards et cetera. >> the fat are you used a republican party credit card to charge personal expenses you faced foreclosure on a second home that you bought and last year you cashed out a 68,000 retirement fund. senator, if trump's terrorist is -- history is fair game, isn't yours? >> and mine is examined. i paid the american express directly for all of that, but this is what is true, i did not inherit millions from my father, i have earning i have had in life and i wore particular for him. i am not a rich person. i am not poor but i am not rip.
3:37 pm
that is fine. i live a life better than my parents. donald has liver add pampered life. he inherited millions from his father, nothing wrong with that, but he portrayed him says a great business match if he took the hundred and put knit an index fud on the stock market he would have more money than warren buffett does but he did the risky ventures and lost a bunch of money and when he loses, subcontractors and the relate guy got hit headquartered by it. he has a history of business failures, four countries in bankruptcy which he denied to you at the first debate and portrays himself as a great leader. if donald trump is president he will not make america great but make america broke like he did the four companies. >> we the talk about --. >> he will consider it a casino. >> this week, nevada congressman endorsed you but like rick santorum he had some trouble
3:38 pm
giving any accomplishment of you dug your time in the senate. here he is. >> is there one thing you can make you have seen firsthand on the hill he has done that demonstrates presidential character to be able to get things done? >> on hill i have not soon that, he has been running for the the presidential race. >> senator why can't officials who support you come out to endorse you, name a specific accomplishment of director time in the senate? >> fairness they are signing up at the last second, inspired by our message and they want to be part of our team and we have not provided the information. i am happy to tell you. >> maybe you should start doing that. we are doing that. you cannot make people read something of the it is not fair to them. the bottom line i am happy to talk about our record and it is, number one, i worked in the senator for four of five years nothing happened because of harry reid and despite that, i worked with bernie sanders who i don't agree on anything but we
3:39 pm
were able to work together to bring v.a. accountability and now you can fire senior executives at the v.a. because of my work and there are additional sanctions on hezbollah which i get the senate to pass and the girls count act that goes after human tracking by leverageing foreign aid from the u.s. government to ensure that all kids around the world be getting birth certificates so they do not fall prey to modern day lively and led the effort on the obama bailout and today the obama bailout firm is gone and we we helped them with . >> senator one of theys you do not mention and everyone would say was your biggest accomplishment was the gang of eight comprehensive immigration reform passed in 2013. was that a good bill? was that a reasonable compromise on the immigration problem? >> not as a final package and i
3:40 pm
say it at the time if you go back and i will provide you that throughout the debate in the senate i kept saying over and over this is the best we can do here in this senate run by harry reid but it will have to chance at the house of representatives it is not strong enough. >> you said you supported the bill after passage and you said during the fight there were important reformals that conservatives have been working for, for years, you voted for them. >> i did. >> sure because it is the best we could do in a senate republican by harry reid and we got the democrats to grow on a last things conservatives have pushed for but not enough. i weaponed about that repeatedly saying it would not go to the house of representatives and they will make it stronger. when i am president of the united states we are not going to do it that way, i don't need to do it harry reid's way, enforce our laws and security our border and until we do that, nothing else is going to happen on immigration. >> finally, let's talk super tuesday, could have to point out
3:41 pm
you have not won a state yet in the polls of all 11 states, you are trailing. if you go through super tuesday and you still have not won a state, can you still be a viable candidate? >> absolutely. first of all, super tuesday is going to award a lost diagnosises and we will pick up a lost delegates. you need 1,237 degrees to be the republican nominee, donald trump will not have that number. i go to all 50 states in every territory, and he will never get the delegates i am get the delegate. >> but you could go over --. >> there will be a lot of delegates. >> you could 30-15 --. >> we will pick up a lot of delegates. absolutely we can do it. we will pick up a lot of delegates and we will pick up a last delegates next week. and in march i expect the race will be significantly narrowed and more americans will now know the truth about donald trump after we spent two weeks banging
3:42 pm
away and people see what they are falling con do and we will win states when the states award the delegates including florida. we feel optimistic about that now more than ever. thank you forting the time to talk us with. >> we will have a report from south carolina on hillary clinton's big vick dry there. and in the weighing of the trump and rubio firefight we ask our sunday group where the republican race stands on the eve of super tuesday and what would you like to ask the panel about how personal the g.o.p. race is. facebook or twitter @@foxnewssunday and we may use your question on the air. ♪ in new york state, we believe tomorrow starts today. all across the state, the economy is growing, with creative new business incentives, and the lowest taxes in decades, attracting the talent and companies of tomorrow.
tv-commercial
3:43 pm
like in buffalo, where the largest solar gigafactory in the western hemisphere will soon energize the world. and in syracuse, where imagination is in production. let us help grow your company's tomorrow - today - at business.ny.gov . . #. . . . "scorsese finally wins."
3:44 pm
3:45 pm
"could you double check the envelope?" "best actress, 1984." "and i can't deny the fact that you like me." "life is like a box of chocolates." "you never know what you're gonna get." "we're gonna need a bigger boat." "xfinity x1 lets you access the greatest library of oscar moments, simply by using your voice. live oscar sunday, february 28th on abc."
3:46 pm
>> a look at st. michael's episcopal church in downtown charleston, hillary clinton scored a big victory last night in south carolina building on her momentum going into super tuesday. fox news chief white house correspondent is on the trail in columbia, south carolina. ed? >> yes, chris, first nevada and now south carolina hillary clinton is in the driver's seat headed into super tuesday with the campaign heating up as 1,800 delegates are handed out in the first two weeks of march, 900 on tuesday. that is why bernie sanders fled here yesterday, when to the have tuesday states of texas and minnesota as hillary clinton stayed here to declare that this race is about to go national and she tried out a new line attack ing not sanders but donald trump. listen. >> despite what you hear, we don't need to make america from again, america has never stop being from. >> we need to make america whole
3:47 pm
again. instead of building walls, we need to tear down barriers. >> a revolution is more than waving a sign with your help we can take a giant step forward in move this political revolution if we win here in next decks. all the sanders man is to try and win in super tuesday states like oklahoma and colorado and scoop up a smaller number of delegates because on the democratic side the states are not winner-take-all but proportional and then they will attack hillary clinton pro trade in places like michigan with 150 deaths in march, and he march 15 , 150 delegates but hillary clinton could counter with florida with 246 delegates and, remember, clinton has a big edge with super delegates the party bosses all adding up that she could be on the verge of taking command here.
3:48 pm
chris? >> it is time new for our sunday group, sip ticketed columnist george will, and susan page of "usa today" head of heritage action for america, michael needham and political analyst juan williams. we will get to the democrats in a moment but i have to start after the three interviews. george, why did the open pops wait so long to go after trump? >> it was 254 days before the announcement where he started in with the,scan rapist and building since. the debate in houston. more than eight months passed and suddenly we we learn that donald trump is a con artist and a clown act. several things, one is fear. people do not want to take him open because it is unpleasant. the republican party, the political class is a coalition of the timid this cases like
3:49 pm
this. second, unbelievability, people wonder, where are the club for growth and why have they not unloaded because the record is public and has been in the opposition research for years. it is because they find it incredible the american people could contemplate putting in a president an anticonstitutional authoritarian and marco rubio was afraid if he attacked the trump people some of them could go to ted cruz as the second choice. cruz is afraid if he attacks trump that he will spoiled waters in the south so fear and unbelievability explain it. >> a lost truth there in fairness ted cruz has been going after trump for the last two months, on policy and the club for growth in september ran ads in iowa on eminent domain.
3:50 pm
it is more of the country and the media when criticize the size of sun's ear or the spay on tan, then they count it as an insult to get the attention but it is --. >> in fairness --. >> the imminent -- >> iminnocent domain, and lord lows i interviewed him on that. i got plenty of attention. obviously he's got a record in d business, illegal immigrants, tax returns, trump university. i was never that pretty . >> t a lot of what's getting attention right w now is that 2 of republican voters who are supporting donald trump or ted cruzsh is that they feel misrepresented by washington, d.c. l they think middle americans cling to their guns and religion and i think they're looking at trump andfi the assertiveness tt he's fighting the washington
3:51 pm
establishment and also ted krusz, is so if we're going to be fair, the club for growth was out there last fall attacking hs trump. this is much more a clue to understand that people are out there hurting and the elites in washington, d.c. are looking down their nose at us. >> the debate this past week an was, well i called it an embarrassment for the republican party.kay. take a look. >> thank you for the book. >> donald. >> g donald, you can get back o your -- >> we're having a lot of fun up here tonight, ire have to tell you. >> and a number of our viewers agreed. lee burnham posted this on facebook, it has turned into a circus, i fear for our country, where is some principled and mature leadership?
3:52 pm
is that going to hurt republicans in the poll? >> i think it will. being sort of a bully and play ground kind of taunts has not hurt donald up until now. rubio's been a much more positive one. if you're going after not angry republican based voters but going after voters in the middle, that this kind of thing does not resonate as approximate presidential, as trust worthy, as somebody ayou're going to wt to put in the white house that you're going to deal with all the issues a president has to deal with. i >> how strong do you think donald trump is, going into supertuesday, leading in the polls of 9 of the 11 states that are up, could he effectively wrap this up on supertuesday? >> he could if he performs as long as we think he might. if he comes in -- if he
3:53 pm
continues to winin fair and square, republican primaries ane caucuses and states, he signed that pledge to support the party's nominee, so did everyone else. if he's wins the nomination tha way, he's going to be the nominee. >> we all expected clinton to clobber bernie sanders in southe carolina, i don't know that we expected 75-25.e >> especially among african-american voters and specifically african-american women, just overwhelmingly, she did better than barack obama.or that's how good it was. sanders is talking about performance in place like minnesota, wisconsin, the upper midwest and maybe even oklahoma, but if you look at the actual numbers, chris, not only is she leading, she's leading right now in the polls in oklahoma, tennessee, georgia, minnesota m and colorado are caucusing and the polling can can be kind of tricky. but sanders in his home state of
3:54 pm
vermont, maybe massachusetts, that's about it. and if you look at the delegate count that wehe heard henry talking about earlier, she is about a quarter of the way to the delegate total at this point. she really is, it seems to me, on a glide path to the nomination. >> sanders camp is almost conceding that in most of the southern states with often times majorities if not a very big minority of african-americans voting that she's going to win, but they're saying in places like vermont and minnesota and massachusetts and colorado, those states that they could wit on supertuesday, does that matter? >>ub tuhe democratic base consi of minorities and public employees, particularly teachers and all the rest. they are really serious about keeping control of the government because their
3:55 pm
livelihood depends o the government. it is a coalition of the can dependent and they do not take flings with people like bernie h sanders, if he could campaign from an ann arbor, michigan, toc determined, colorado, he would win. >> i think that hillary clinton finds herself in the position that barack obama did a year ago. obama became won new hampshire inin a landslide and him clinto never caught up. >> shehe won a string of statesn january and february. >> and she stayed in the race and the primaries were over in approximate june. but she never got aah up.hi if you look at the math, that looks like what's going to happen. >> her one vulnerability is that she is seen by the academics and the left wing, especially the left wing blacks, and some of these black kids are predators, and back in the '90s, in their
3:56 pm
criticism of her. y >> that's the only vukt if you're bernie sanders that you can see. >> there's another vulnerability andd that is honesty and trust worthiness, sanders started going after clinton this week, about the huge speeches to wall street banks, refusing to turn over the transcripts, the "new york times" called her out on that. does that gain any traction? >> it may gain traction as a process, but i don't know if it would substantively. she sounded like she was is manager ofe goldman-sachs and d she's on the take. these people are in politics in order to get themselves and rich. friends >> all right, strong letter to follow. thank you, panel, see you next sunday. wear want to keep you up to date on our continuing effort to get answers to question from hillary clinton.n. remember last week we said we
3:57 pm
reached out to two clinton campaign officials who didn't even answer us.nd well on monday, both of them did return our e-mails and discussed wanting to arrange an interview with clinton in march. we'll letet you know how that goes. up next, a final break. en u! i'm here to get the lady of the house back on her feet. and give her the strength and energy to stay healthy. who's with me?! yay! the complete balanced nutrition of great tasting ensure. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. ensure. take life in!
3:58 pm
3:59 pm
well, that's it for a packed show, we wanted to run an on the trail piece. you can watch what is now a web exclusive that fox news sunday.com. now these program notes. be sure to tune to fox news channel tuesday at 6:00 p.m. eastern for full coverage of supertuesday. and tomorrow night on special
4:00 pm
report, bret baier sets down with loretta lynch, it's her first appearance on fox news. a lot of -- the biggest -- supertuesday, and apparently for some, the way you deal with that kind of pressure is to get nasty. more on that in a moment. first, on the republican side, the latest polling shows donald trump in a strong position ahead of supertuesday, he's leading every state except for two of them. in arkansas, ted cruz holds a slim advantage, and in texas, his home state, senator cruz has a wider lead. and this developing on sunday. donald trump with a warning on for republicans in the so-called establishment. if they gang up on him, the

63 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on