Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  April 3, 2016 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
if you missed a she can you dvr and watch any time, back next sunday at 11:00 and 5:00 p.m. eastern with the latest buzz. >> i am chris wallace facing more fire than ever before, donald trump sits down with fox news sunday. >> are you in the process of blowing your campaign? we discussed the fallout on abortion. >> you offended the pro life and pro abortion. support for his campaign manager, and the controversial remarks about letting more countries develop nuclears. the growing knock is you have not not this through or studied, and you wing it too often. donald trump, face-to-face, on fox news sunday. >> convention chaos. the other g.o.p. candidates back out of their loyalty pledges.
3:01 pm
>> nominating donald trump is a train wreck. >> that is not fair to train wrecks. >> let's see what happen as the convention. reince priebus joins with the possibility of a contested convention. >> we will ask our sunday panel whether the stop donald trump movement is gaining momentum as ted cruz crucials ahead. >> and only in america could something like this happen. aall right now on fox news sunday. >> hello, from fox news in washington. >> donald trump has seemed bullet proof surviving and thriving on one thing after another but it is catching up and he trails for polling in business. open friday we sat down for a candid and contentious interview at trump tower in new york.
3:02 pm
>> welcome back to fox news. >> thank you. >> this may sound harsh, but are you in the process of blowing director campaign for president? >> i don't think so. i got great polls from nbc, nationwide, we are doing very well. you have been thinking about or asking me that question numerous times over the last, since june 16. that statement has been made many times and i end up having higher poll numbers. >> you talk about polls so we will talk about some. in a wisconsin poll a month ago you were leading ted cruz by continue points. in the same poll out this week you are trailing ted cruz by continue points. in the littest follow poll, 67% of women nationally have an untariffable view of you. if you had purposely set out to turn off voters especially women voters the last two weeks i an not sure you could have done a better job.
3:03 pm
>> i can only do what i do, self fund my campaign not a politician being controlled by the people that give them money. they are totally controlled. i am doing very well. was in my best week? i guess not. i could have done without the retweets, et cetera, et cetera. >> i want to talk about that. first, wisconsin, how important is wisconsin? how big a set back if you don't winst >> i would like to in. is it a big set back? i would like to win. >> would it general disease your ability to get to 1,237 it is better to win. i get there anyway but i like wisconsin, i like the people of wisconsin, they like me, i have had tremendous crowds and we have had a they response and i am going to do well in wisconsin. >> you have had better week. your comments this week on what you would like to see if abortions bill illegal. >> do you believe in punishment for abortion as a principle yes or month? >> the answer is, there has to
3:04 pm
an form of punishment. >> for the woman? >> yes. >> it took two written statements to clean that up. >> it took me, really, two statements because they were different statements. >> different subjects. >> but the president of national right to life said what donald trump said about women who have abortions is making pro lifers cringe. you does something remarkable offending both the pro life and pro abortion movement. >> it was hypothetical, is it illegal, and --. >> but you --. >> there would have been a strong conservative group who is said that was the appropriate answer. i am not saying it was present. i say it is the doctor's fault or whoever performs the act. it is their fault. there was a time when that would have been, and today maybe, but it was asked hypothetical. >> why did you say the woman? >> it was asked hypothetically. >> it was hypothetical.
3:05 pm
>> i corrected it and i made it very much that everyone, it is shable to everyone. >> do you agree it was a mistake? >> well, as a hypothetical question i would rather have asked or answered it differently. i would rather answer it differently. all the growing knock on you and you read everything so you know it is what people are saying, you have not thought these things through, you have not studied, you wing it too often. is that fair? >> i have been a real successful businessman for a long-term and never asked many questions such as a question about nato by wolf, i gave a greatance said -- great answer, it is obsolete, we don't get the benefits, we are carrying a lot of country, we have 28 countries it is 68 years old. we are not being treated fairly bit world. i have been a politician new for eight months i will strangen out
3:06 pm
the country and make america great. politicians can't could -- do that. >> so you still have a learning curve? >> this is always a learning conserve especially talking about nato because it is a very movable subject. i will say nato is obsolete. nato doesn't cover terrorism. nato --. wait, wait, wait. >> no, no. >> do you know how many nato soldiers have died in afghanistan helping us after the 9/11 attack on the united states? >> i am not saying it is a bad thing. i am saying --. >> a thousand is the answer. >> and that is a a lot of soldiers. they have been defending us against terrorism. >> we are paying so much money disproportionately, we have countries that are carried
3:07 pm
along. it is not first to the united states. not fair to the citizens. not fair to the taxpayer what i said was right. when they cover it they say donald trump doesn't lake nato. nato is fine. nato has to be adjusted. we have to cover trim. -- terrorism. >> in afghanistan we are covering terrorism. >> sure. >> but that counts, sure. >> sure it counts but i am saying we have to be specific on terrorism. nato is not specific. why do we take the burden of the costs when beneficiaries are paying little? the reason? because they are ripping east united states. like every country what does business up. that is why we owe $19 trillion. >> you talk about only being a legislation eight months but there are other issues you have gotten in trouble in the last week that have more to do with judgment and temperament. for instance, the fact you spent days going after ted cruz's wife
3:08 pm
and her looks. >> excuse me. >> santa cruz cruz --. >> let me scam >> ted cruz came after me. >> no, he didn't. >> through my wife. >> no, he didn't. >> he took a picture --. >> of course he did. >> do you have evidence that he knew about the attack by the independent super pac? >> my evidence is total common sense. he knew those people, the people were 100% for them and they coordinated together and i have no doubt about it in a million years he did that attack and this is just --. >> even if he did was it worth --. >> i we say probable not if i had to do it again i would not send it. i did not think it was particularly bad but this is a response. not me starting something but a respond. >> michelle fields battery case the campaign manager said he never touched her and you said she made it up but one of your surveillance videos showed --.
3:09 pm
>> i was happy to give it to them. >> shows he touched her. >> it is something that is disgraceful you as a reporter and all of you as reporter probably are treated rougher than that each day. >> i agree with that. >> question, why not just apologize to her? >> because let me tell you why. i'm a loyal person. >> i am not much. >> before we knew she was on tape she wrote she was practically thrown to the ground, i western i had it here. >> that did not happen. >> i agree. >> excuse me. >> she died. do you agree she lied? >> she completely misrepresented it early on. i do. >> early on matters. >> why turn one day into two weeks? >> at least it shows i am loyal. the easy ten would be to destroy
3:10 pm
that man pass life. i would have firedly. if she fell to the ground but she did not change the expression on her face, she kept walking. >> you have no regrets letting this go on. >> she would have used that as ammunition much when you apologize it is used at ammunition. the easy thing is, corey lewandowski, you are fired. but why want -- the map has a wife and four beautiful children. he lives in new hampshire. he is a good person. i don't want to destroy him. >> you weighed in this week on foreign policy and national security. here is what you said about japan and south korea defending themselves against north korea. >> you have no problems with japan and north korea having nuclear weapons? >> we are better off if japan protects itself against the maniac in north korea or if
3:11 pm
south korea is protecting itself >> we are defending japan. we cannot afford --. all the question is, letting them develop their own nuclear program. for half a century united states policy has been we protect those countries with our nuclear umbrella so they do --. >> ands there a for tune. >> i understand but the idea is not to is a nuclear arms race in the northern pacific on the yes an peninsula. you want to they it an. >> i am not throwing it away. this is common sense. like trade. we lose on every trade deal. sometimes you are betting off saying wait, we are defending japan, what we are doing is costing us a for tune. not only japan, but south korea 28,000 soldiers are online and part of the consequence is nuclears. they have pay us because we cannot --. >> they do pay us. >> peanuts. >> $1 billion in south korea and
3:12 pm
$2 billion in japan the >> that is parkway -- peanuts compared --. >> want a income arms race on the yes -- koreaian peninsula. >> you have pakistan, north korea, russia, china, india, and the united states and other countries have nuclears. shut fought like no one has them. north korea has nuclears japan has a problem with that. maybe they would be better off if they defended themselves. >> with nuclears? >> cluing with nuclears. >> and south korea? south korea is next door. just so you understand. >> that is a nuclear arms race on the peninsula? you already do when a guy like kasich said he wants to give everyone mills, i don't. i would leaf it how it is,
3:13 pm
ideally but they have to pay us. we cannot afford to continue toes there the billions and billions we are losing in order to defend. japan. germany. south korea. saudi arabia. >> you said you no longer continue to pledge you will support the republican nominee for president. on thursday you had a meeting you said was mice and they treated you well. are you flames tore support or not the nominee? >> i will be looking at would the nominee is. people will be very happy with my decision. all the point, in south carolina you took a pledge to support the nominee. if you break that pledge you lose all of the delegates. >> the real point i made in that transaction or talking point you are talking about, that i release ted cruz, he does not
3:14 pm
have to endorse me. he doesn't have to force me. i don't need his support. i have the support of the people. >> you node their --. >> their support? >> i was -- i watched the during mile in his britain when they talked about donald trump and support, and, well, i don't know, going crazy. i want to relieve the pressure. he does not react well under pressure. to relieve the pressure i am telling you, ted, don't worry. you don't have to endorse me. >> are you ruling out running as an independent third party? >> look, i am by far the front runner. i want to run as a republican. i will beat hillary clinton. >> if you don't get the nomination? >> see how i was treated. simple. >> i want to be treated --. >> not a question of win or lose but a question of treatment.
3:15 pm
i want to be treated fair. >> after the last two weeks and all of the contributions, any plans to change your campaign? any plans to lay off the personal attacks? any plans to study some of the issues? >> originally when i want out with 17 people. we are down, now, to three. i have two leftovers. i call them "leftovers." they have not been nice to me. i will beat them. after i beat them i will be so presidential you will be so bored you will say, this is the most boring human being i have interviewed. >> mr. trump, i don't think you could be dull if you wanted to. >> i think if i am president i will be dull but that will be fine. >> you can watch more of the interview with donald trump at fox news. >> and rnc chairman reince priebus joins us and we will talk about the donald trump
3:16 pm
refusal to rule out an independent campaign. meet my fiancée, denise. hey. good to meet you dennis.
3:17 pm
whewhat does it look like?ss, is it becoming a better professor by being a more adventurous student?
3:18 pm
is it one day giving your daughter the opportunity she deserves? is it finally witnessing all the artistic wonders of the natural world? whatever your definition of success is, helping you pursue it, is ours. t-i-a-a.
3:19 pm
a look outside the beltway >> a look at the milwaukee public market ahead of the news news -- of the tuesday wisconsin provide mayor. donald trump said he does not stand by the pledge to support the g.o.p. nominee and will not rule out an independent run. rnc chairman reince priebus watched the interview and joins us from rnc headquarters here in washington. chairman, you heard reince priebus keeping on the possibility he may not support the republican nominee if it is
3:20 pm
not him and could run as an independent candidate. does it wore you? >> not really. some of the stuff is leverage and candidates that are posturing for an open convention. something that people are missing is that this pledge, this pledge to expert the nominee, comes from a data agreement the candidates signed. without poring everyone to tears, we spent hundreds of millions on data and information over the last several years at the rnc and the canidates have access to the data. in exchange forgetting stuff from the national party we say are you willing to support the nominee and they say, yes, we are and sign a document. my point would be, if a candidate is not willing to commit to the principles and values of our party, they ought to tell us but if they exit to it he should do it. these candidates are running to
3:21 pm
be the nominee our party. we are not running for their loyalty. they are running so one of them will be chosen by us. i cannot imagine a candidate for any position anywhere in america running in front of a group and saying, we don't know if we want to be part of the group but we want to be the chairman or president of the group. >> sir, you are missing the point. obviously, they are running to win but what donald trump is saying and to a certain degree, ted cruz and kasich if they do not win and if the other guy wins, they may not expert the candidate. the result of that would be the going would be split and would have a hard are time winning in november. >> certainly. you cannot when by subtract asking dividing. i understand that. we are the party of the open door. you have to let people in. we have to grow. we have to unify. with unity, anything is possible. certainly there will be work to
3:22 pm
do in cleveland especially if it is an open convention and bringing the party together. we have a lot of time to do that. is it going to be a challenge with rest risk like this on all sides? sure. but that is with we have to do in putting on a convention that unifies and is open and transparent and we have to respect the recognize and vote of the folks out there and the degrees and the voters. i get the challenge. >> i want to get back to the question, you say that when trump and the other condition difficulties get the voter data from the rnc they signed an agreement. do they pledge in return forgetting data pledge to expert the nominee. are you prepared to enforce that agreement? >> listen, i will not get into every detail of the agreement but it is a data exchange agreement with the rnc and among the things they can use of the
3:23 pm
rnc, we say we will give you this but you have to agree you will support the party and the nominee. they have all agreed to that. we will see what happens. i would say this, i really do believe this is posturing. i know potsturing can have an effect and it means that the challenges could be greater. i am not disspelling your point. they want to be loyal to the party. they will be loyal to the party. it is abut the people out there. and were aring the voices of the folks in the states and on floor of the convention. you say this is an agreement, you gave them something of value, the access to your files. are you republicked if they break the agreement to enforce it? are you prepared to sue donald trump or one of the other
3:24 pm
candidates if they don't support the nominee as they pledged to get the data? >> look, no one has broken the pledge. talking about what might be hypothetical is one thing but it is not any standing, it does not provide standing to do anything just a bunch of talk. certainly we expect when candidates make commitments they keep them. >> after mitt romney's defeat in 2012 you commissioned an autopsy of what went wrong and what the party needed to do differently going forward in 2014 and 2016. the report concluded that the g.o.p. had to do a better job reach out to hispanics and african-americans, em, and young -- women and young people but the "washington post" has a new poll out this month, 85% of hispanic view trump unfavorably and 80 putt of african-americans
3:25 pm
view him unfavorly and 75% of women and the "washington post" concluded that donald trump would be the most unpopular candidate for president in modern times in either major party. >> obviously we are having a conversation in a small circle of people. tone and tenor has consequences and the challenges in the general election will be this for us to make the message to every american no matter who they are that our part is a door we want them to walk through the look, if you look at hillary clinton --. >> hasn't donald trump, hasn't ted cruz, closed the door the the groups you wanted to reach out to? >> no there is a little time in the john election and we be having continue people every ten
3:26 pm
blocks in the communities and you saw the difference we made with what we learned from that growth and opportunity in 2014 when we won 46% of the hispanic group we spent $8 million on the ground doing it and we want 28% of the among vote in ohio, it did not happen because of coincidence it happened because we reached out to tell people of the values of the quality and freedom and opportunity our party provides. we will do the same thing. we did not did that in 2012, we just had atrophy in 2012. tone matters. >> you think the hispanic voters, will forget what donald trump said about illegal immigrants or what ted cruz said about illegal immigrants? >> i don't know what the outcome is beginning to be over the next several months and if you are on the ground making the presentation to the hispanic voter across the country with a realation, with real people,
3:27 pm
talking about the values of our pert, you can improve over 2012. we have to improve over 2012 but it is my job at the rnc to provide an infrastructure in place to go door-to-door, to the church festival on sunday, go do the black chamber meetings and talk of the economy. that is how you move voters. >> a last question in the time we have left, the rnc set up a website this week to explain how an open contested convention would work and i want do focus on one specific issue that could become a big deal in july, rule 40 b, saying each candidate for nomination for president of the united states shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight or more states. they to have a majority from eight or more states where they can be place their name in nomination. what happens on the second
3:28 pm
ballot if a lot of of the delegates become unbound and they decide to go for someone else, can that person become a candidate for nomination? the real question, do you have to be a candidate for nomination, can someone complete ly outside of the defects vetted for that person and are they the nominee? >> first of all, that rule is a a rule this was drafted by the romney delegates of 2012 and that rule obviously will be reviewed by the 2016 rules committee which will be made up mostly donald trump and ted cruz delegates. they likely have an incentive to probably not change that rule but play out your hypothetical. if, in fact, that rule stays in place, you are asking, (1), can someone be nominated on a later ballot, i think so.
3:29 pm
that is extreme hypothetical and highly unlikely. you asked the question, i think it is possible, and at that point if you get into a multiballot convention where you have five or six or seven rounds it is possible a person can be nominated that is not one of the three but my position is, and it is absolutely correct our nominee is likely to be one of three people running. it is interesting how far out we play this but it is possible as you lay out. >> chairman reince priebus, to be continued. thank you for talking with us today. >> next we have our sunday group to discuss trump's troubles and what a loss in wisconsin means for the republican race and what would you like to ask the panel about trump's statements on abortion. at "fox news sunday" and we may use your question on the air.
3:30 pm
everhas a number.olicy but not every insurance company understands the life behind it. for those who've served and the families that have supported them, we offer our best service in return. usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members
3:31 pm
plan to stay for life. wrely on the us postal service? because when they ship with us, their business becomes our business. that's why we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. here, there, everywhere. united states postal service priority: you
3:32 pm
some say "free the whales." for them, nothing else is acceptable. but nothing could be worse for the whales. most of the orcas at seaworld were born here. sending them into the wild wouldn't be noble. it could be fatal. when they freed keiko, the killer whale of movie fame, the effort was a failure and he perished. but we also understand that times have changed. today, people are concerned about the world's largest animals like never before. so we too must change. that's why the orcas in our care will be the last generation at seaworld. there will be no more breeding. we're also phasing out orca theatrical shows. they'll continue to receive the highest standard of care available anywhere. and guests can come to see them simply being their majestic selves. inspiring the next generation of people to love them as you do.
3:33 pm
>> no doubt that donald trump is the killed dead candidate is on twit and make as last noise but has in solutions to fixing problem. >> he is not prepared to be president of the united states. >> ted cruz and john kasich piling on donald trump after all of the recent problems. it is time now for our sunday group syndicated columnist george will, and julie pace what covers the white house and the campaign for the associated press, and stephen dinan of the "washington types," and charles lane from the "washington post" and julie was covering the trump campaign. the question, are we making too much of the troubles? you look at delegate count. he is still 273 degrees ahead of ted cruz. after wisconsin, the primaries head to the northeast and he should do well. big picture, how much trouble is
3:34 pm
he in? >> donald trump is still in the strongest position of any candidates left. according to the delegate count he is the only one that can clinch the nomination through the regular voting process. but he has to do better. there is room for ted cruz to go on a good run in the remaining contest and get close to him in the delegate count. that with put news a consensus convention site. the problems for donald trump with what has happened the last week is he has teflon, but politicians get in trouble weapon they do things that reinforce a negative perception. he did not on two fronts: (1) highlighting a lack of depth on policy with comments on abortion. (2), highlighting problems with women. reinforcing those negatives could have problems beginning forward. but it is important you look at math to know he is the only one
3:35 pm
who can clench through the process. >> we got a bunch of questions from you. al tweeted, the issue hurting trump is not abortion or women it is the failure to properly prepare on most substantive matters. there was this from barbara on facebook, if trump spent time researching the pro life principles as well as the other topic rather than tweeting for hours he may not have made the small but cumulative mistake. how do you answer? >> there is a a policy dimension and a process dimension running for president. on the policy side on abortion, he was asked a question that every novice renos he will be asked, and he did not have an answer. that is partly because he has original been pro live for 15 minutes and at the end of his 7th decade and just thinking of these things. the world needs more nuclear
3:36 pm
weapons station, this is an argument to be made for that by game theorists. no one thinks that donald trump arrived at that conclusion by game theory take the process side, he has been surfing on the wave of free publicity coming in, holding a big rally, flying away. other candidates, particularly ted cruz, have an on the ground approach the i spent time in human with his campaign manager where they knew this weekend the center of the political universe was figure go, north dakota, where they select 25 uncommitted delegates but it goes beyond that. they are preparing for the second ballot. they say, okay, you are a trump delegate, bound on the first or maybe second ball lot. after have good feelings. they want to put in place all of the party regulars, people who are delegates who are county commissioners, sheriffs, >> these people would will respond to someone would wants
3:37 pm
to be a parties head by someone who has been in the party for a while. finally, they are stacking the rules committee because rule 40 b, will come up and they will run into a wall for people victim pa note evening to ted cruz >> i was talking about that with reince priebus because they could be locally bound to vote for trump the first ballot, some for two or three but most only for the first ballot. after that they can vote whoever they want and if they are a cruz partisan when they are released, legal i, in the second or third ballot they will go for the opinion they hike not donald trump would they were supposedly selected in the first ballot to support. it is not just trump a pro kasich super pac is running this add portraying ted cruz being strangled by his growing nose
3:38 pm
wrapping around his neck and kasich want after ted cruz himself after disavowing that. all the problem with ted cruz he has in record. it is shut undo the government and making everyone he works with upset. >> this goes back do what i was discussing with reince priebus, is the republican part, the again, headed for a train wreck? >> they could be. the conventions, as you said there are a lot of options a lot of hypotheticals and everyone is on the table because they write the rules for themselves. having said that the most important thing going interest there is the areas where ted cruz and donald trump have common cause, the rule 40b will box out another candidate, that is where it is least likely you will see changes so kasich could be on the outside looking in on 40b because it name could not be place had nomination the first ballot.
3:39 pm
that is correct. and beyond that it is not just depending on how they write the rules what they do with them it could go beyond the first ballot. the issue is that ted cruz desperately wants this a two man vote him vs. donald trump. the problem right now is with the three candidates, you look at the first four contests we have had, iowa through nevada, trim trump got 33% and ted cruz got downtown% and john kasich got 8% but for the state of ohio john kasich has never gotten beyond that the other support has gone between ted cruz and donald trump but, still as long as he is getting the 15% you have a three-man race and the nomination is not is thed -- is not going to be settled. >> the autopsy of 2012 when the
3:40 pm
party studyied the problems and the republicans said we have to were a out to women and hispanics and young people and ted cruz, the fastest growing block in america is hispanics and he is going to have a tough sell with them. >> the obvious achilles' heel of the new rebranding strategy has turned out to be the g.o.p. primary elect contract which is dominated by the from additional g.m. base of older white voters. it has gotten worse pore them from the point of view of donald trump because what he excites are the most nationalistic of the segment, the people most hostile to all of the new voter demographics. from the point of view of post 2016 autopsy they have again in reverse and facing a tremendous remember of rebranding not just
3:41 pm
from 2012 but, now, from their own primary race in 2016. >> george, briefly, i asked reince priebus and he said, well, a long-term between the convention and november. do you think so? >> a land speed record for healing to get well with all of people that have been offended by this campaign. >> we will take a break. trailie delegate count, bernie sanders e seems to be getting under hillary clinton's skin. what do you think? is a string of losses starting to bother the democratic front runner? let me know on facebook or twitter @foxnewssunday. when you think about success, what does it look like? is it becoming a better professor by being a more adventurous student? is it one day giving your daughter the opportunity she deserves?
3:42 pm
is it finally witnessing all the artistic wonders of the natural world? whatever your definition of success is, helping you pursue it, is ours. t-i-a-a. it's how i try to live... how i stay active. so i need nutrition... that won't weigh me down. for the nutrition you want without the calories you don't... try boost® 100 calories. each delicious snack size drink gives you...d minera. and it's available in two new flavors, vanilla caramel and double chocolate fudge. i'm not about to swim in the slow lane. stay strong. stay active with boost®.
3:43 pm
3:44 pm
if you keep tanning, indoors or out, the effects of harmful rays will show up on your skin. wrinkles, age spots and an increased risk of melanoma, the second most common cancer in women 15 to 29. stop tanning. time may not be on your side. learn how to protect your skin at spotskincancer.org a message from the american academy of dermatology
3:45 pm
i am so sick of the sanders' campaign lying about me. i'm sick. >> these are not just workers in the fossil fuel industry. >> these are paid registered lobbyist, secretary hillary clinton, you owe our campaign an apology. we were telling the truth. >> hillary clinton feeling the heat from bernie sanders over his charges that she is getting big dollars from the fossil fuel industry. we are back with the panel. this became a hot issue in the democratic campaign this week when hillary clinton responded vigorously to the greenpeace protester, the campaign said they have gotten no money from oil or gas political action committees, pac's, but the bart said industry employees, and that is what you her, including the lobbyists have giften $300,000 to the campaign, have raised another $1.5 million for the campaign, and have given more than $3 million to super pac's that support hillary clinton.
3:46 pm
what is the argument saying about where the race stands? >> it is interesting. you look at numbers because when you look at the whole of the fundraising on the democratic side it is a minuscule portion. this is about bernie sanders knowing that he has an argument that irks. hillary clinton campaign the idea she is influenced and bought by her donors whether fossil fuel or wall street. that arts bothers her because he is implying this but the now showing an example of how she is bought or influenced. you saw the us strauss bowl over. i don't think this will change the dynamic but the over all point that bernie sanders is making is one that motivated his supporters and democrats broadly the idea there is too much money in politics and he is the only one willing to upend the system and she is still part of the system. he is the only one who will push
3:47 pm
for a complete overhaul. >> the reason they are talking about the fossil fuel industry and not wall street is because this is a big debate in new york, the primary april 19, about fracking so that is an industry that is targeted. bernie sanders has when give of the last -- has won five of the last contests. he is closing the gap what going on? >> we have all the complicated metrics for deciphering this, use your eyes. look at a group of hick help support -- hillary clinton supporters and bernie sanders, who is having the most fun? bernie sanders is fun, hers is the joy less pursuit of joy shrouded in entitlement. he is energizing people, or having the fun of being taught any, being a essentialist is out there. he wants to redistribute at the
3:48 pm
love wealth and that is all the federal government does is redistribute the wealth, so i don't know what the excitement is but this "fun," registers itself in one great peoplery. in march he raised $44 million. that is an astonishing for a campaign that said america is dominated by millionaires and billionaires. he is finding plenty of money in the energy, probably more energy than shown in the small donors. >> not the energy industry but small -- but small energy meaning people. >> four top advisors of hillary clinton at state department have hired her lawyer on the investigation of the e-mails and there are reports that file will interview hick ice herself sooner rather than later.
3:49 pm
chuck, what does that tell you? >> a it tells me that, fortunately, for america, this could come to a head and a recommendation of whether to indict hillary clinton could be forthcoming from the f.b.i. i say fortunately because whatever you think about the merits of the charges, she is running for president, she is likely to be the d nominee and we need some information whether she is criminally liable or not before this gets to october. the fairest situation is where we fiend out sooner rather than later. >> what is your timeline? when you hear that the aides are lawyering you, are we talking weeks? still talking months? >> how long is a piece of string? it looks like may or juan it would have to come to a head. d.
3:50 pm
he's fundamentally has a ead. d. reputation as a fair person. he must understand how political this is. he's got a dilemma. i think the sensible thing to do in that situation is to move this thing forward, you know, between may and june. and, you know, lay it out there. >> if they don't make a criminal referral, the first thing the fbi has to decide is if they're going to refer criminal charges to the attorney general to decide. is the possibility of a report? >> of course there's a possibility of report. not only a responsibility i would think a likelihood. given how high profile this thing has been. they're going to have to lay out some kind of findings to back up whatever decision it is. they can't say we've decided not to indict her. >> would that be the fbi or the attorney general? >> the fbi would provide -- as i understand it the raw data. the justice department would
3:51 pm
authorize such a repo data. >> so just wrap your head around this. indictment, criminal referral, report. none of those obviously indictment by far the worst, but none of those would be good for hillary clinton headed into her convention. >> no, absolutely not. unless the report is a complete exoneration. >> well, even then, the possibility you're left with is that fbi agents who would have wanted to have gone the other direction do start leaking their own interpretation of the facts they came across. so this gets messy at best and very bad at worst. >> think about the politics of this. bernie sanders gave this issue away. so within the democratic party, this is not a liability for hillary. she's got other s liabilities, t not this one. if you look to november, if she's running against trump, it's not clear to me that however bad this gets, unless, of course, it's an indictment, it's enough to outweigh trump's negative.
3:52 pm
i think she's broadly heading toward being in the clear on this. >> do you buy that? >> on the other hand, may could be a very exciting month. because as you say, the fbi investigation could come to a head. and it is possible if the judge has his way, that donald trump could be testifying in a fraud trial having to do with trump university, which was something short of oxford. >> do you buy the argument that because of the fact that bernie sanders -- i'm not sure i agree he gave it away. he just said he's not going to press it himself. do you really think democratic voters will want to nominate somebody -- again, all speculative, that indictment is one thing, but there was a criminal referral that was not acted on, or even a very negative report? you don't think that would be damaging? >> it would be terribly damaging. it would be damaging on top ofg the mountain of evidence that she is having trouble connecting with an electorate that already by a majority views her unfav
3:53 pm
unfavorab unfavorably. >> at the same time, democratic voters are making their choice. if youg look at hillary clintons lead in pledge delegates, her lead the super delegates, she leads in all of those categories. so there is ahong choice being . the e-mail situation has been out there.e. and she is still winning. >> two quick points. may could be interesting and june could be interesting for hillary clinton legally because she's likely to face discovery over what the state department and how she ran her own e-mail servers. there are other things that could come out evenn outside of the criminal justice process. important thing in the democratic race right now is looking to the super delegates. in 2008, obama had begun flipping super delegates who had been pledged to clinton, to himself by february. until that ilhappens, this is clinton's race. >> but obviously, those super delegates are going to take a look at what develops. thank you, panel. see you next sunday. up next, our power player of the
3:54 pm
week. one family's journey from slavery to presidential assistant in just two generations. equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like grandkids equals free tech support. oh, look at you, so great to see you! none of this works. come on in. that's why you drink ensure you don't let anything keep you sidelined. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. come on grandma! for the strength and energy to get back to doing... what you love. ensure. always stay you. burning, pins-and-needles of beforediabetic nerve pain, these feet played shortstop in high school, learned the horn from my dad and played gigs from new york to miami. but i couldn't bear my diabetic nerve pain any longer. so i talked to my doctor and he prescribed lyrica. nerve damage from diabetes causes diabetic nerve pain. lyrica is fda approved to treat this pain, from moderate to even severe
3:55 pm
diabetic nerve pain. lyrica may cause serious allergic reactions or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling or blurry vision. common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs, and feet. don't drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you. those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. now i have less diabetic nerve pain. and these feet would like to keep the beat going. ask your doctor about lyrica. we believe in the power of active management.management, by debating our research to find the best investments. by looking at global and local insights to benefit from different points of view. and by consistently breaking apart risk to focus on long-term value. we actively manage with expertise and conviction. so you can invest with more certainty.
3:56 pm
mfs. that's the power of active management. at the end of this long at the end of this long campaign, a new family will move into the white house. but for close to eight decades, one family saw presidents come and go while they continued to serve. here's our power player of the week. >> if you think about my family, and the origin from my granddad being a slave, and then with my career added to that, it's just remarkable. >> john fickland is talking about his family's extraordinary journey in just two generations. from slavery to special assistant to the president.
3:57 pm
>> only in america could something like this happen. >> it started in 1939 when his uncle charles was hired as a white house servant. he got his brother john a job, which led him to share an elevator with fdr. >> being speechless and nervous. mr. president kind of thing. >> his father would serve nine presidents over 43 years. ending up as maitre d' of the white house in charge of staffing and food served for the first family. then there was the kennedy assassination. >> i think it was at least four, five days that i did not see my dad. he was at the white house the whole time. >> nine members of the fickland family served presidents in good times and bad. at weddings and parties and in daily life. in the '70s, richard nixon was consumed by vietnam and watergate. they didn't like him. >> we actually challenged dad. how can you work for this president?
3:58 pm
my dad would push us away and say hey, he's the president of the united states. >> when ficklin's father retired in 1983, the reagans invited a member of the service staff to a state dinner for the first time. >> it was a real treat for my dad to be seated at the table as opposed to serving the table. >> i'd like to invite you to the state dinner next week. >> if all this sounds like the movie "the butler," that was about another member of t white house staff. but film makers seemed to have taken a lot from the ficklin story, and john ficklin refused to see the movie. but the best was yet to come. ficklin himself went from the pantry, to courier, to clerk for the national security council. >> did you have a sense that that was a big transition from service staff to policy staff? >> i went from apron, so to speak, to shirt and tie every day.
3:59 pm
it was a leap. >> over the years, he became the nfc senior director for records, handling some of the nation's top secrets. in 2014, he was named special assistant to the president, and when he retired -- >> mr. john ficklin and mrs. john ficklin. >> he and his wife were invited to a state dinner. >> the ficklins have been just such an integral part of the white house. it's been a career of service. all nine of us have worked in the white house have done exactly that. by our service to the president of the united states. ficklin has two sons, one of whom is getting his ph.d. in biology. and he says he might like to work in the white house someday, in the office of science and technology policy. now this program note. be sure to tune in to fox news channel tonight at 9:00 eastern for fox news reporting rising threat, shrinking military. bret baier talks with three of
4:00 pm
president obama's former defense secretaries about cuts to our military. and that's it for today. have a great week. we'll see you next "fox news sunday." the long road to the white house is about to stop in the state of wisconsin. an important new week for the presidential candidates in particular for those on the republican side, where the frontrunner donald trump is trailing his closest opponent, ted cruz in almost every poll in that state. here's a look. and notice. the gap is statistically not very big. but cruz has a six-point edge over donald trump in wisconsin. john kasich is in third place there. trump has been rallies across that state earlier today. he predicted great success there. he also called on ohio governor john kasich to get out of the race, saying kasich has no chance of clinching the nomination. hn

49 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on