Skip to main content

tv   Tucker Carlson Tonight  FOX News  May 23, 2017 8:00pm-9:01pm PDT

8:00 pm
go to facebook.com/seanhannity, @seanhannity on twitter. that's all the time we have. thanks for being with us and hopefully we'll see you back here tomorrow night. ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." last night, at least 22 innocent people were murdered by a suicide bomber in manchester, england. today, president trump commented on the attack during a joint press conference ofco palestinian president mahmoud abbas. >> so many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life. i will call them, from now on, losers because that's what they are. they're losers. >> tucker: you've seen this before and you know what's going to happen next. unfortunately, our leaders are going to tell us that acts of terror are just something that
8:01 pm
happen, just like weather. just accept it and move on. there's nothing you can do or, better yet, just pretend it's not happening all around you. the bbc put it this morning, europe is "getting used to attacks like this" because they have to. because they're never going to be able to totally wipe this out. we hear that a lotly but consider it for a minute. why is violent terrorism an inevitability in europe now?c unless you grew up in northern ireland or italy or the basque country, it was not a significant hazard a generation or two ago. ask someone who was alive then. this is new. something has changed. what is it? the answer is, most people understand but relatively few admit, is the demographics change. there are a lot of muslims living in europe now. most of them are indeed decentnt people as we're often assured, but a surprisingly large number of them aren't. check the numbers. in 2006, a year after terrorists murdered more than 50 people in london on the subway bombing, a full 20% of british muslims said they sympathized with the bombers. younger muslims were even more enthusiastic about what
8:02 pm
had happened, about the killing. in 2007, pew found that at least 20% of young muslims here in america, in france and germany and britain and spain believe that suicide bombings could be justified. in france, that number was about 40%. last year, 29% of muslims said they viewed sharia as a higher law than the civil laws of france. of course, we shouldn't beil surprised that radical views are common among western muslims because they're even more common in their home nation. in 2014, 47% of bangladeshi muslims said suicide bombings to defend islam were acceptable. almost half. a quarter of egyptians said the same thing. o a fifth of turks and malaysians agreed. in 2009, 78% of pakistani muslims told pew the people that leave islam should be killed. murder for apostasy. egypt's support for that was 86%, afghanistan 79, bangladesh 44, iraq 42%.%. these are not little places,h obscure theocracies in remote regions. they're some of the biggest countries in the muslim world
8:03 pm
and more to the point, they've sent millions to the west. there's an awful lot of research on the subject and all the numbers tell the same story. why are they being ignored? our leaders like to boast to believe in science. they let data and hard evidence drive their policy. they are lying and never more obviously than in this case.ar they don't want to see the numbers. they actively suppress them. if you really cared about. america, you wouldn't want it to become europe. dangerous, divided, unstable. you wouldn't import a massive muslim minority into your country because it made you feel open-minded and virtuous and then hope for the best. that's a faith-based approach and it's nuts. we know exactly what will happen if we do that because we're watching this live on television from manchester right now. if you really cared about the country you led, figure out how to make sure that every person you imported of any religion
8:04 pm
enthusiastically shared their most cherished values, tolerance, pluralism, free-speech, equality under the law, just for starters. tell them not to litter when they're here too. we did the opposite. our leaders worship multiculturalism, so we encourage immigrants to reject our culture in favor of their own because all cultures are equal. except they're not all equal as we were reminded last night with the murder of children in an arena in manchester. defend what you believe or you will lose it. that's the message of manchester just as it is also the basic lesson of all of history. but what if you don't believe in anything at all? our leaders don't. maybe that's why they can't defend us. maajid nawaz is a former islamic extremist and thought a lot about this, he joins us tonight. thanks a lot for coming on. with the response from the west that wants to remain pluralist, certainly doesn't want to ban people based on their religion or their country. most people don't want to do that but they also don't want to have unstable, chaotic societies. what do they do?
8:05 pm
there's a meme going around this is the new normal, that we must come to terms with it and we must carry on as normal, act, behave calm,m, and stand united. that's all well and good but there's a role to solidarity, absolely essential we show solidarity to the victims of these horrific attacks. but what kind of world is that in which i have to accept the slaughter of my children, of youth at a concert is normali and that's just nothing i can do about it? what kind of world do you want to live in where we justth accet that as a status quote and an any other world that would be called apathy and appeasement. we should never accept that as normal. and that leads to another meme that's going around that these are somehow lone wolves which speaks to your introduction. these aren't lone wolves. this is a myth, this idea of lone wolves. research, back to facts and study, research found that up to 80% of jihadist attacks and the attackers are connected to networks, ideologies, groups and others, they are almost
8:06 pm
never alone but this myth of the fact that they are alone actors serves three purposes mainly. one is that it allows security services when they commit mistakes to say there is nothing we could do about it anyway. we couldn't stop them or protected them. it allows politicians to say there's nothing we can do aboutm it and thereby retreats a politically correct standard. and third, it allows most importantly our communities to shirk responsibility because ofn course, the truth isis we're in the midst of europe of the jihadist insurgency where people who are like me and others and live among us have become radicalized and it isn't isis that radicalize them. isis plucked the low-hanging fruit. they've been radicalized for decades because of this ideology that's been spreading. >> tucker: what do wes do about it?
8:07 pm
what do authorities do about it? again, how do you maintain a liberal in the best sense, free society when you're actually living among people who want to kill you? how do you stop that? >> if we understand it in this way that there is an ideology that's been recruiting for decades, and isis simply plucked the low-hanging fruit, and the first thing we need to do is if i was living during the u.s. civil rights crisis, back whenen segregation was still rife, you would call me an apologist if i didn't get involved to fight segregation, racial segregation. you don't have to be muslim to challenge these extremism. muslims and non-muslims all have to stand together to challenge the extremism. e just as we are responsible to challenge racism, homophobia, anti-semitism.
8:08 pm
and that genuinely requires action from government, but more importantly from communities. >> tucker: people have to stop being embarrassed and stand up for enlightenment values our society is based on. it doesn't seem hard, but it is hard, and you are leading the fight foror it. and i appreciate you coming on today to talk to our audience. thank you. >> thank you. >> tucker: british police are investigating the attack that occurred last night in manchester but is not their only priority tonight. they're also keeping an eye outn for crime think on the internet. those are unproved thoughts that people might express, including those from dailymail.com columnist katie hopkins, "western men, these are your wives, your daughters, your sons. stand up, rise up, demand action. do not carry on as normal. cowed." another twitter user reported her to the police in great britain and the police confirmet they were investigating. she was also being investigated for a a since-deleted tweet in whichio she said she miswrote, saying that british needed a final solution for terrorism. she reworded that later. katie hopkins joins us today. terrorist attack in an arena u
8:09 pm
in manchester and killed children and you're under investigation. how does that work exactly? k >> i really don't know anymore here in the u.k. what i can say is there's certain thoughts we'rew just simply not allowed to have. so for me to say that this is no good anymore, it's not good enough even to say that we can -- can't carry on as normal, i demand up action.l, i wan to say we need to do something to stop this. we need to be deporting these people, deport the people that are hiding them, and get amongst us because this is our little girls, our 8-year-olds. we need to be able to talk like that. clearly certain things i tweet, i absolutely accept, use the word "final solution" in a tweet and i would not in any way want to use that term and the inference other people lay on that.eo what i meant was we need a long lasting solution, a resolution to this.
8:10 pm
it's 24 hours now since i woke up to the news of what has gone on and i'm just feeling what we're missing is that real feeling of emotion connecting with the fact this is our littls girl, these are our children. this could be our children next. we just have the threat level raised to critical which is the maximum level. military are coming into our streets which is a great thing, but i always wondered is how did we go from saying we are strong, we stand united, we are not coweds to tanks arriving on our street. we do have a problem. we did have a problem and our little girls have been slaughtered in the worst possible way with nails and nuts and bolts and a homemade bomb. my children breakfast this morning said i'd rather be shot than caught in a bomb that's made of ball bearings. what conversation are we having here in 21st century britain where that's what children are growing up. with terror being normal and a man planting a bomb
8:11 pm
filled with nuts and bolts when they're out having fun, that's normal in britain,it and we brought that war into our country. we brought that war onto our pavements, onto our streets. and i don't hear anybody, no politician standing up and saying, i am sorry. we were wrong. we are going to change what we have done. islamic extremism cannot go on. >> tucker: they're investigating you for your tweets in the country that gave the rest of us freedom of speech. this is very quickly a philosophical question but is a government that is demonstrably unwilling to defend its own children and they are despite the slogansef and the tanks,e is that a legitimate government? what's the point of having a government if they will not protect your children? p >> absolutely, it seems to me that the establishment and now c on the side of anything thatli represents diversity or indeed muslims supporting islam, we have to say the greater manchester head of police came out this evening and said we will not tolerate hate against
8:12 pm
the muslim community. for so many of us, o we're saying it's okay. we will tolerate our little 8-year-old girls being slaughtered as they leave a concert, but we won't tolerate hate speech? that seems to be where we're at in the u.k. tonight.pe >> tucker: and around the worlda this is exactly why there are political revolutions, very uncomfortable, messy ones taking place throughout the west. because of this reason. thank you for joining us tonight. i appreciate it. the media loves covering russia and hates covering manchester and events like it. up next, we'll explain why those are related phenomena and how the west may have something to gain from cooperating with, hold your breath now, russia against islamic extremism. joe concha will be here to talk about the press and its botched cover last night that really defies parity. mist experience
8:13 pm
to help block six key inflammatory substances. most allergy pills only block one. new flonase sensimist changes everything. including the full-sized introducingsprintercedes-benz family of vans. and the mid-sized metris. ...if these are your wingtips... ...if this is your gourmet latte... then these are your vans. vans for professionals. strictly professionals. best commercial van residual value according to alg and starting at just $25,995. mercedes-benz. vans. born to run.
8:14 pm
it's just a burst pipe, i co(laugh) it. no. with claim rateguard your rates won't go up just because of a claim. i totally could've - no! switching to allstate is worth it. anyone ever have occasional constipation,diarrhea, gas or bloating? she does. she does. help defend against those digestive issues. take phillips' colon health probiotic caps daily with three types of good bacteria. 400 likes? wow! try phillips' colon health.
8:15 pm
8:16 pm
>> tucker: if you were watching other news networks last night, you might've noticed that it took them a while to start covering the terror attack in the u.k. once it happen. instead, they spend almost an hour continuing to chase after claims of collusion. you may have heard this before, stop me if you have, between russia and president trump. if you've watched the networks over the past couple of weeks, i we do not recommend that, of course, but if you have, you've seen a never-ending parade of lawmakers, people who have been elected, claiming russia controlled the white house somehow. >> there is reason to believe the president's pandering to russia is endangering our national security, our economy, and our democracy. >> the cost of the president's
8:17 pm
ties to russia cannot be our national security. and if the story is true, i'm afraid that's the price we may pay. >> i really do believe that much of what you saw coming out of trump's mouth was a play from putin's playbook. >> tucker: what do these have in common? they may appear wholly unrelated. manchester attacks last night and russia, but they are actually connected. the press' fearmongering about russia and distaste for honestly covering islamic terror are related to one another becausest if you thought about it for even a second and apparently lots of them haven't, you may realizeho the u.s. may have something toey gain from cooperating withn russia in checking radical islam. the russians are not likely to become trusted allies ever.. russia, like pretty much every other country except for ours,s, looks out for its own interests first and sometimes those interests are directly opposed to our interests. that will never change. but on this one matter, radical islam, russia has both a shared interest and ample expertise on the subject.
8:18 pm
they've got a huge muslim minority amounting to about 10% of the population. that's higher than any western european nation. it had to deal with an islamist insurgency a in chechnya as well as multiple terror attacks that killed hundreds and, of course, they've intervened in syria. not just to protect president assad, those are probably goals to but also to fight islamists, which they are actively doing. like the russians are not, they are doing that. in other words, in this oneas vital question, russia is aligned with us. to think that would be obvious just as it was obvious to franklin roosevelt 80 years ago to make common cause with joseph stalin and the fight against the nazis and it works. but no. it's 1953 all over again with the democratic party and the mccarthy seat impugning the character of anyone who dares to note the obvious. i know this is happened to me, agent of russia that i am. everyone enjoys a good witch hunt from time to time, but this one appears to be hurting our national security.
8:19 pm
david tafuri is a former obama campaign foreign policy advisor. he once worked for the state department and i know that he is going to agree with me on this. let me start with the obvious question. which is a bigger threat to the u.s, isis or russia?ic >> both are a huge threat. >> tucker: which is bigger? >> i think isis is a more immediate threat absolutely. but russia has a much stronger military. russia can hurt us and hurt u.s. interests all over the world. we have to worry about both. >> tucker: we don't have the graphic. i'm just going here with the facts as they are. we have on the one side, isis islamic terror, al qaeda over the past 15 yearsv thousands of americans have lost their lives, many thousands to those forces. russia has killed zero americans. so it's really not even in the same universe actually. the threat we face from islamic terror and the threat we face from russia. one is theoretical. the one is real and present, so why are we not seeing that? >> first of all, you can't evaluate the threat just based on how many american lives have been lost. russia is a threat to democracy. it's a threat to our way of life. look at what russia has done in
8:20 pm
ukraine, annexing crimea. ukraine wanted to be part of the west, wanted to be a democracy, wanted to join europe. t it wanted to be our ally. russia has been threatening democracy for a long time. look at the cold war. >> tucker: wait, before we jump back 26 years, let me just get to the examples that you just listed. the threat to our way of life, to democracy, and i feel for the ukrainians, i feel for the crimean, anyone whose nation is thwarted. how is the annexation of crimea or the conflict of ukraine a direct threat to national security? >> because if russia is allowed to annex ukraine, it will annex another country next. it will annex one of the baltics. >> tucker: how will that affect american national security? >> do you not believe that there are countries like russia desire to undermine democracy all over the world, particularly in
8:21 pm
europe. >> tucker: i think there are members of congress. >> it's undermining democratic efforts in countries like ukraine, in the baltic sea. >> tucker: i'm asking you a simple question.es give me simple answers if you would. how is russia's expansions tendencies which are shared by a lot of countries around the world. r a lot of countries want to be bigger. that's a story of the world, of history. how does russia's behavior in eastern and central europe threaten america's critical national security interests or america's democracy? >> because one thing that america has always stood for his freedom and spreading democracy around the world. and the biggest foe of freedom and the spread of democracy is russia, and we see that now and lots of different places where russia is an actor, particularly in eastern europe where it has designs on re-creating a russian empire, on re-creating colony type states that it had when it was the ussr. >> tucker: you didn't answer the question i asked. you basically said russia's behavior offends our values as americans..
8:22 pm
i would agree with that completely. b that's not the criteria upon which we make war decisions. we go to war, we are enemies with someone when their behavior threatens our national security, something you said russia did. so i'm going to ask you one final time. how does their behavior threaten our national security or our democracy itself, as is often the claim? i don't understand that. >> let's take syria for instance. >> tucker: given up on crimea. >> we talked about that a lot. i could talk about it all hour if you want. but take syria. russia intervened in syria september 2015. after the obama administration failed to act and failed to punish syria for crossing the red line, that was a mistake. when russia intervened in september, it said it was intervening to fight isis. one week after its military and air strikes, state department said more than 90% of those air strikes were against u.s. backed forces in syria, not against isis. that's how. >> tucker: because we backed
8:23 pm
a series of islamist rebel groups with ties to al qaeda and isis, which we currently do, which is insane and because russian bombing may have hurt some of those islamists, that's a threat to our national security?t' we don't have a ton of time left but connect the dots for me if you would. >> let me connect the dots for you. we are trying to stabilize syria. we need to stabilize syria. more than 400,000 people have been killed in syria. russia is not trying to stabilize syria. p russia is propping up this assad regime which is fueling isis. isis was born out of the crisis in syria, the fact that no oneli was supporting the moderates who were opposing assad and the sunni population turned to isis. that's what created isis. isis is a convenient foe for the russians. because isis is helping fight the battle that russia wants fought. do you think russia cares that there was an attack in manchester? that helps russia.
8:24 pm
>> tucker: i kind of remember syria when it was stable and guess who ran it?? oh, the assad family ran it. so it's hard to look me in the face and say supporting a bunch of people, someone who may be goodhearted, some who may be lunatics is making the country more stable than what was eight years ago when it was run by a dictator who hated america. a bad guy. but it was stable and now it's not. so call me stupid but that seems like the facts. >> so you agree with president obama that we should've not done anything in syria, because you remember, the revolution that started in syria, the u.s. didn't start that revolution. that was a revolution thatat started on its own, and it happened, and there were forces that went against assad and eventually when we didn't do anything, russia went in. now we have a destabilized country that helps create isis. we have a humanitarian disaster that caused refugees to flee to europe and to the u.s., more than 400,000 people killed. >> tucker: i've lost any confidence i ever had in the
8:25 pm
ability of intellectuals in washington to make the world stable. they've made it less stable and i'm really worried about their judgment. >> you want russia to do that? >> tucker: i'm not saying that at all.. i just don't take things at face value anymore. i thank you. british prime minister theresa may has warned that the attack last night could be one of several attacks coming up soon. is there anything we can learntt from this and how can the u.s. avoid becoming a victim? we'll talk to experts next. what, you think we own stock in the electric company? i will turn this car around right now! there's nobody back there. i was becoming my father. [ clears throat ] it's...been an adjustment, but we're making it work. you know, progressive.com makes it easy for us to get the right home insurance. [ snoring ] progressive can't protect you from becoming your parents, but we can protect your home and auto. [ chuckles ] all right.
8:26 pm
8:27 pm
8:28 pm
iit's where we end up.t, expedia. everything in one place, so you can travel the world better.
8:29 pm
>> it is now concluded on the basis of today's investigations with the threat level should be increased for the time being from severe to critical. this means that their assessment is not only that an attack a remains highly likely but that a further attack may be an imminent. >> tucker: that was prime minister theresa may warning that manchester may be the first of several attacks targeting the u.k. trump called on islamic nations rooting out in his recent trip to the saudi kingdom. >> a better future is only possible if your nations drive out the terrorists o and drive out the extremists. drive them out. drive them out.
8:30 pm
of your places of worship. drive them out of your communities. drive them out of your holy land. and drive them out of this earth. >> tucker: so how else can the u.s. hope to prevent future manchesters, were there any warning signs the rest of us miss? a former white house national security council director, and former member of israel's counterterrorism unit. they both join us tonight. you just wrote this book which i read and really enjoyed called "warnings" in which you say that for almost every disaster that faces our society, there were people who called it, from the financial collapse to the rise of isis and the rest of us ignored them. where there warnings that we missed for what's happening in europe right now? >> as you said, every disaster i can think of in my lifetime, a person said very clearly this is going to happen. pay attention to me. there was a very clear person a warning about the rise of isis, he happened to be a u.s. ambassador to syria. he was saying there's a vacuum
8:31 pm
that's going to be filled. lo and behold, here's isis. so you have little girls dying in london because of what happened four years ago. sometimes we don't listen to that warning. the person who is trying to tell you about something dramatic you need to understand. you pay a cost for a long, long time. that's what we're seeing right now.w. >> tucker: you certainly do. aaron, what exactly are the steps that we take, the actual steps as western nations too prevent what looks like is going to happen, an endless cycle of the stuff, how do you stop it? >> my experience, coming from israel, is that you have to not take a soft approachth to protecting soft targets. soft targets are nongovernment, heavily protected installations. this concert was a soft target. an american artist performing with one of our allies who been at war with us
8:32 pm
partnering against al qaeda in the last 15 years. so did the layering needs to be there, and what i mean by that is multiple layers of meaning it would take a multi-failure event in order for the terrorists to reach their target and that means that we deploy a three-part system in israel and it works. this wasn't in place and what i mean by that is, the first one is deterrent, and that is havins enough arms presence, and of checkpoints far enough away from the venue. the detection phase which is plainclothes officers and checking bags. with terrorism, it's all about the crowds. their goal to kill the most amount of people in the shortest period of time. the triangle of success for counter terror for these operations. the denial, so it's almost like where was the security at this concert, when he looked at it, all these people congregating at the end of a show, that's what security lacks. that's when you have to dial it up, soon to take a no b.s. look at exactly where these crowds are going to be in relation to this event at any given point and if we don't do that here, just like theth gentleman just said, four yearsn
8:33 pm
ago, the warning signs were put out. we're going to see this here. so every one of these massive event needs to be taken seriously. >> they are. it's hard to play some with target little girls. it's so beyond the range of what even think of. so the obvious question is are leaders in the west both inn europe and here aware of the current risk, you seem massive demographic change in europe in the past two years, massive. a lot of people coming in who, according to surveys, may be sympathetic to some of the attitudes that produced the manchester terror bombing. are the leaders in western europe aware of that? >> it's pretty clear. a real debate inside of how we ought to deal with the rising immigrant numbers and the people who in some instances are the families of or the terrorists themselves. i'll leave that to the voters and the politicians. but the one thing that's interesting here, we spent somei times looking at isis, watching their propaganda trying to learn
8:34 pm
about them. what we've seen as it started to lose territory in iraq and syrie as they've sent out more and more fervent messages to the people around the world who may be recruited by them sayingpe please go off and take terrorist attacks of your own. so isis doesn't just becomee a landlord who owns this fake caliphate in iraq and syriazi. they become what i call an idea of mass instruction, getting out there radicalizing and getting people to do their bidding.t' and it's very likely we will see here, and i think that's what we have seen in the attacks and maybe attempted attacks in united states. >> tucker: when they get weaker on the battlefield, they get more crazy and dangerous., that's the basic principle. thanks a lot to both of you. i appreciate it. the american and media embarrassed itself with its glacial response to the massacre in manchester last night, in case you didn't notice. joe conch will be here too explain why that happened and why some channels felt russia s mattered more than blood in the streetss in the united kingdom. plus shocking news about ms-13 and how the obama administration
8:35 pm
apparently spread the gang throughout american cities. not a claim we would make if we didn't have the documents to prove it. but we do. do. did you know 90% of couples disagree on mattress firmness? fortunately there's a bed where you both get what you want every night. enter sleep number and the semi-annual sale going on now. sleepiq technology tells you how well you slept and what adjustments you can make. she likes the bed soft. he's more hardcore. so your sleep goes from good to great to wow! only at a sleep number store. oh, and right now it's our lowest price ever on our temperature balancing i8 bed. save $700. go to sleepnumber.com for a store near you. ♪
8:36 pm
♪ i'm dr. kelsey mcneely and some day you might be calling me an energy farmer. ♪ energy lives here.
8:37 pm
my belly pain i could build a small city with all the over-the-counter products i've used. enough! i've tried enough laxatives to cover the eastern seaboard. i've climbed a mount everest of fiber. probiotics? enough! (avo) if you've had enough, tell your doctor
8:38 pm
what you've tried and how long you've been at it. linzess works differently from laxatives. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation or chronic constipation. it can help relieve your belly pain, and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements that are easier to pass. do not give linzess to children less than six, and it should not be given to children six to less than eighteen. it may harm them. don't take linzess if you have a bowel blockage. get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea, sometimes severe. if it's severe stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas, stomach-area pain and swelling. talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms proactively with linzess.
8:39 pm
>> tucker: the media hardly acquitted themselves well with their coverage of last night's bombing in manchester. that was an understatement. it was awful. it took them a long time to shut up about russia and cover it. fox began covering the attack at 6:48 p.m. eastern. the other two cable networks, not so much. at 7:00, we began covering manchester exclusively. the other networks, still leading with russia. chris matthews even moved back to russia where you could hear people screaming in the background. shortly after a half-hour, things had changed. wrong. at 7:30, you guessed it, still on russia. at 7:36, they still were not covering manchester like it was a gruesome attack.y we knew it was by then.n. you wouldn't know it by watching those channels. when the other media did start
8:40 pm
covering up, things weren't necessarily better over at cnn.g analyst paul cruickshanky took time to speculate the suicide bombing could have been a falsea flag by right-wingers of course. apparently so committed to making islammi look bad they were willing to kill them to do it. over at the bbc, commented that manchester was its present target because manchester did not vote in favor of brexit. the account would be more understandable if the city had voted for it. not impressive. joe concha joins us. did you watch it last night? >> have a fortress of solitude down in my basement that allows me to watch four tvs at once.ow you can see pictures of it. i'm able to watch. it's more for fantasy football but also for my job as well. and there are some numbers around this that are just stunning. 105 minutes during the 7:00 p.m. hour according to an mrc study was spent on trump and russia on cnn and msnbc.
8:41 pm
just 50 minutes on the attack grotesque as you said, in the city of a western ally where women and children, young girls going to a concert are killed. any community access producer or manager would know in that situation that once the story broke at 6:48, it is full. full stop. there is no other story to cover. but this just shows yous that it's media malfeasance marinated in myopia, alliteration aside, this is what happens now when you're so locked into one story that you miss a story like this where everything should've gone away and this should've been the only thing that was covered. >> tucker: you know i've been doing this a long time. you've been covering a long time. you know exactly what happened. their formula is working. their viewers think that donald trump is a marionette controlled by vladimir putin. they think this because they're being told that by the anchors over there spinning this incredibly complex and insane
8:42 pm
conspiracy theories and getting good numbers by doing that. so even terror attacks will get them off it because they're completely addicted to the drug of ratings. that's what it is. >> not only what journalism looks like in 2017 tucker, it's what it sounds like. and more important, it's what it smells like and it sticks to your boots. i agree with you that it's good for business, but if you look at the numbers last night, at 9:00 for instance, fox,fo shepard smith nearly doubled rachel maddow in what's called the key demographic that advertisers covet most. so people are -- they want their news. i remember cnn when i was growing up, it was the only game in town. fox and msnbc didn't come around until 1996 and i forget who said it but somebody compared it to a spare tire that you could always count on it to be there when you needed it. and last night, i couldn't find my spare tire. i cannot believe that i kept seeing brady bunch panels on donald trump in russiaan when they should've been
8:43 pm
covering the story, and it just goes back to cnn and recent studies lately just shows you just how locked-in they are on this topic. may 12, another mrc study. 96 guests on that day were anti-trump, just 7 pro-trump. it's a 13-1 ratio. that's incredible. >> tucker: there's other news. if you're a news channel, you should be bringing the news. it's not all about donald trump. i was talking to a friend of mine who is actually not particularly pro-trump. he's saying there's nothing you could say that they wouldn't believe about trump. do you think if you went on to another channel and said i have evidence that trump drinks human blood, just a shot glass of it every morning when he wakes up. do you think anyone would say no, show me the evidence. w they would all nod. of course he does. >> the narrative gets fueled by anonymous sources being used in every story that we'd seen from "the new york times" and "washington post." and "the new york times" has something called
8:44 pm
a style guide and in it, one rule that is supposed to be used is that anonymity should be the last resort. and now it's become the first resort and that's what's fueling all the stores because not a matter of being accurate. it's a matter being first and a matter of being more of quantity than quality, and that's what journalism is in 2017 unfortunately. it's good for business but bad for integrity.sm >> tucker: it's bad. i have a lot of friends at all these places, nice people. i'll never believe anything they say ever again ever about anything because they're liars. and it's sad. thanks for joining us. >> thank you.. >> tucker: the attack in manchester raises a lot of big questions about terrorismm and the press and what president trump ought to do in response. how does it all tie together? whenever we have that question, there's one man we call. he is brit hume and he joins ush in a minute with the big picture. at bp's cooper river plant, employees take safety personally - down to each piece of equipment,
8:45 pm
so they can protect their teammates and the surrounding wetlands, too. because safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. "how to win at business." step one: point decisively with the arm of your glasses. abracadabra. the stage is yours. step two: choose la quinta. the only hotel where you can redeem loyalty points for a free night-instantly and win at business.
8:46 pm
listen up, heart disease.) you too, unnecessary er visits. and hey, unmanaged depression, don't get too comfortable. we're talking to you, cost inefficiencies and data without insights. and fragmented care- stop getting in the way of patient recovery and pay attention. every single one of you is on our list. for those who won't rest until the world is healthier, neither will we. optum. how well gets done.
8:47 pm
8:48 pm
8:49 pm
>> tucker: we've approached last night's attack in manchester from a lot of directions tonight. we looked at what it says about the press, about islam in the a west and about our relationship with russia, but there is a big picture here which really happened in the past 24 hours and what does it mean for the trump administration? how have they handled it? brit hume is a senior political analyst here at fox and he joins us now with that. so the president's foreign trip punctuated by this terror attack, what does that mean? >> two things, to some extent it eclipses the trip in terms of news coverage and the president needed some sustained reasonably favorable news coverage which he was certainly getting. on the other hand, it kind of reinforces his message, doesn't it? he presides basically justge 50 nation summit of 15 muslim nations summit and delivers a stern message about the need
8:50 pm
to join together to fight terror and we have this hideous attack. that kind of vindicates his emphasis on thatt subject and to that extent, it helps them. we're only beginning. made a couple of comments. he called terrorists losers, and that's perfectly fine.nl i don't think that means much. but going forward now, will we will see from him, how he turns this event into a way to further his agenda. and that remains to be seen. >> tucker: one thing to unite the country potentially as an external threat and there's no external threat more horrible and more easy to explain than isis. do you think this is going to be a theme of the next year? >> we've seen the succession of these attacks overseas and while they have impact. particularly, this one was particularly hideous because of the children. so utterly barbaric to mount this kind of attack. but they tend to blow over. in fact, in this news cycle in
8:51 pm
which we are living these days, nearly everything seems to blow over. unless you have a news media that is absolutely determined to keep it alive. i keep thinking that in recent days in the news coverage of the trump administration, the whole russia thing, that guy mike flynn, they better get him to resign. oh, wait. >> tucker:[laughs] >> the coverage of this event, it'll peter out over time. trump can follow it up and we'll see what it does. >> tucker: the risk obviously is the trumpet ministry should will find it embroiled in some sort of foreign conflict. he ran against that but presidents historically have a lot of trouble avoiding that. that's a potential risk? >> we are involved with theol foreign conflict already. we're involved in a struggle to eradicate isis to name one. other terror operations around the world that we are involved in trying to shut down. i think it tends to be relatively low level warfare because it's not a conventional
8:52 pm
it's asymmetrical kind of a conflict between this giant superpower with all its munitions in all its men and women under arms and these bands of terrorists, so it requires a different kind of fight and it doesn't excite quite the passions that war in iraq for example does. or some kind of conflict with russia would obviously excite i think he did run against that. on the other hand, we had for s. many years of practice of a brand of diplomacy which was diplomacy not really backed up by the threat of force. it has been a hallmark of american foreign policy since world war ii. exactly right. it was, by and large, effective. and we have sort of the theoretical threat of force has been on the table for some years now but nobody really believed it and of course we had an astonishing event when the president obama drew thehe line in syria and then turned the whole case over to russia. and obviously those days are gone.
8:53 pm
i think the trump administration would never do anything like that. we'll see what comes of that. there are very serious issues here. can we find a successful way to eradicate this threat? it's not clear that anybody knows quite how to do that. of course, uniting the muslim world will be very helpful. we also have this very severe threat from north korea which is growing, which has been allowed to fester all these years to the point where president obama who said and did very little aboutow it turns in over two president trump and says you've got a real stinker i'm about to hand you and it's the worst threat you're going to face. he's got that to contend with. whether all of this or any of this could be done remains to be seen. >> tucker: thanks a lot for joining us. we'll be right back. my business was built with passion... but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on all of my purchasing.
8:54 pm
and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands of dollars each year going back into my business... which adds fuel to my bottom line. what's in your wallet? when heartburn hits fight back fast with new tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum new tums chewy bites.
8:55 pm
8:56 pm
8:57 pm
working on my feet all day gave me pain here. in my knees. so i stepped on this machine and got my number, which matched my dr. scholl's custom fit orthotic inserts. so i get immediate relief from my foot pain. my knee pain. find a machine at drscholls.com. i had a very minor fender bender tonight in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay. yep. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. >> tucker: three years ago there was a minor news story. ms-13 graffiti had been found on bathroom walls at a facility
8:58 pm
where the u.s. government has hundreds of illegal immigrant children arriving from central america. you would think committing criminal behavior would a certainly be the kind of thing that would ensure your speedy deportation but if you thought that, you'd be wrong. according to documents released today, personnel at the center i identified 18 juveniles as likely members of ms-13 gangs. many openly admitted it. an arrival from el salvador self admitted to being a gang member. he stated he was involved in multiple robberies, assaults, and drug dealings. he sold crack cocaine and marijuana, attacked people with knives. and would continue his gang affiliation when he reached his family. pretty straightforward, right? surely he was returned back to el salvador?
8:59 pm
he was placed in a holding cell while they tried to find a home for him here in the united states. eight suspected gang members from el salvador were transferred to the children's village, in new york city.sa it's a private reform school in new york city. they incidentally struggled with the rise of ms-13. maybe those are connected.k three other suspected gang members present to oklahoma. two to virginia.ct to go to washington state, one to texas. do these people ever get deported? we're still trying to find that out because the previous administration didn't track it. we will tell you as soon as we do. in case this isn't obvious, to import young men into our cities who we know were likely dangerous criminals. no vote was held on this. the public was never alerted to it. you may have noticed your country is changing fast and probably not for the better. there are a lot of reasons for that but this is definitely one of them.
9:00 pm
we will continue to follow the story when we get more details. that's it for us tonight. we would back here at 8:00 tomorrow night on the show that is the sworn enemy of lying, pomposity, smugness and groupthink. "the five" is next. we will see you tomorrow. >> a metaphor becomes a night of grief when the victims of the latest terrorist attack. >> there are some kids with sharks and a very close to home. manchester's dance together and we stand strong. we've got to stop that. >> good evening everyone, i am trace gallagher in los angeles. many of them children at a packed concert hall and man has direct manchester. another 59 people were injured. we will hear concertgoers recount in a moment. a night of fun suddenly turned into sheer terror. watc

53 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on