Skip to main content

tv   Outnumbered  FOX News  January 23, 2018 9:00am-10:00am PST

9:00 am
makes it hard for him to travel and perform but he does plan to continue composing and recording. we wish him well. >> absolutely. i think it so much for joining us. >> "outnumbered" starts right now. >> sandra: fox news alert, new investment, conforming to fox news, special counsel robert mueller's team questioned attorney general jeff sessions for several hours last week. this is "outnumbered." i'm sandra smith in here today, harris faulkner. the editor of townhall.com, katie pavlich. former deputy spokesperson marie harf and joining us on the couch today, to senator mitch mcconnell, josh holmes is here and he is outnumbered. a name your former boss, one has been a lot lately. >> harris: had a good week. we have a lot to get to so good to have you.
9:01 am
attorney general jeff sessions the first member of president trump's cabinet known to be interviewed by muller's team. last month, sessions recused himself of the russia investigation and eventually his deputy rod rosenstein appointed mueller to oversee the probe. chief house correspondent john roberts joins us with more. >> good news hour to everybody out there. this is the highest ranking member of the trump administration who has been interviewed by the special counsel's office so far for the most part, it's all been staff current and former but this now takes it up to the cabinet level. we are told of the interview took place sometime within the last week to ten days. lasted several hours. among the topics that he would've been interested in investigating clearly whether or not there was collusion between the trump campaign in russia during the election. your member jeff sessions was one of then candidate donald trump's closest advisors and the other thing that he is looking into is whether or not there was obstruction of justice and the firing of the former fbi director james comey.
9:02 am
white house officials will not weigh in on this substance of the interview, though a short time ago on fox news, the principal deputy press secretary said he believes that the investigation will soon wrap up and they will be no finding of any wrongdoing between the trump campaign and russia in terms of colluding to influence the american election. >> the white house's view is that it will be wrapping up in short order. we wanted to be done surreally and aboveboard but we have confidence that the special counsel is going to find what we've known all along has been no collusion no findings of wrongdoing. >> for his part, attorney general jeff sessions says he is vowing to get to the bottom of why there are six months worth of missing text messages numbering potentially as many as 50,000 that went between peter strock who was one of molars chief investigators and the woman that he was having an affair with, lisa page who is an attorney at the fbi. these came to light as part of an inspector general's report
9:03 am
that the idea of the department of justice michael horowitz is putting together on all of this. that horwitz report may be coming out sometime in the next few weeks, maybe a couple of months and when it finally lands, sources close to the investigation say it is going to have a significant impact because this will speak right to the heart of some of the people who are involved in that molar investigation. sources close to the investigation also believe that devin nunes four page memo which may be released sources say sometime within the next couple of weeks we'll have a impact as well. but all of this as well particularly the horwitz investigation, having an impact on the special counsel's office and that sources close to the investigation believe it may delay the wrap up of the molar investigation. they were hopeful that he might be done by the end of this month but the investigation continues and nobody's quite sure sure when it will end.
9:04 am
>> sandra: just changing by the hours, thanks for all the updates on that in your reporting. and josh, i go to you on this. this is big news, this is the first member of the president's cabinet to be interviewed by robert mueller hours it was. >> john: is significant but i think it was inevitable. both because of attorney general's role as attorney general and with the dismissal of james comey but also his role in the campaign so clearly he was of the key figure that the needed to speak to. i think this is not out of the ordinary in any form or fashion and honestly, i think probably said it best from the white house's perspective, i think this is an indication that they're getting to the end of this investigation. >> sandra: do you see it that way? speak >> marie: we spoke about . he may well have to be interviewed by bob mueller. this is not wrapping up i think. we will see, there were other key officials who have not been
9:05 am
spoken to you by president pence will probably have to as well. this will go on for many months at this point, these things take time. general sessions is at the middle of a lot of this and as we all talked about when he went before congress several times now, he has misremembered something, he had to clarify some statements about conversations with russians. it is not at all surprising that he would've had hours and hours of questions were jeff sessions given his role, given what he said publicly about this. >> katie: there's been a lot of controversy surrounding his recusal of himself, he's been heavily criticized by the president for doing so. the entire reason why he did that is precisely because of this. it can he did not believe he could be in charge of a russia investigation and also be a witness at the same time. it's important to point that out. in terms of when this is going to be over, we don't know. six months ago, the white house was saying it's almost over, it's wrapping up, their way of saying we wanted to wrap up soon but none of us actually knew
9:06 am
what they're going to interview and what is going to happen, what charges may or not be filed but we just don't know. >> sandra: i spoke strategic communications for the white house and she didn't seem to hint that it was at the end she could only respond that they are fully cooperating and continuing on with the investigation. >> harris: the white house is playing his cards the way it has been in so far it's been a neutral deck which is where they want to be. they don't want to make news on what they think. they really don't want to jump the shark on this. when mueller is helping them out by digging deeper and talking with people because if it takes forever to get to the bottom of this, it only hurts the white house no matter what the end game is because you want to be able to focus on different things. >> john: i think clearly in any investigation, start with the big fish. he wait for the attorney general and the president of united states so you get towards the end of it. we don't know. i think you're right, we don't know exactly when it all wrapped up but i do think it's an encouraging sign that there into the big fish.
9:07 am
jeff sessions is clearly an essential player and a lot of these and if he can answer those questions. >> harris: a big fish who recused himself can be complicated because the president was not happy about that. and the fact that if he was avoiding things to get to this point, how did he know he was going in this point? only the person who knew all of the facts would know that those facts would collide the investigation. >> katie: the justice department would argue that he knew no sin is as investigation or the russia surrounding investigation in congress that came before the special counsel the specific questions about the campaign and he was one of the very first senators to jump onto the trump campaign. so inevitably, all of the questions surrounding the campaign answering him being in that position legally, ethically, he believed he had to recuse himself and can be a witness in the case. >> harris: if he had had a collision of his memory and what happened with meetings and at very first hearing, how could he
9:08 am
have even known what would be today? that's the unfortunate part. thus the part i believe as they said, they're not happy about the fact that he had to do that recusal. >> marie: and that was his own doing. i remember there wasn't a big push for recusal until it came out that he had not remembered fully when he testified before congress. but the special counsel was basically looking at two things. one is whether there was collusion with russia and one was whether there was obstruction of justice and firing jim comey. sessions is at the center of both of those and he is unique in that because he was part of the campaign and part of the decision-making when they got rid of him. >> harris: look at the situation where mueller is with his employees around him and i know we are going to talk about this little bit later having what i do with those thousands of text messages? the same thing that you are accusing back of the day of the secret circle with hillary clinton. it's very troubling for mueller
9:09 am
right now and in awkward position so it's interesting to see that juxtaposed with the ag now going to talk with him. his an observation. >> katie: one of the questions we were asked during the hearings with jeff sessions, he was accused of meeting with the russian ambassador when we took a little deeper and found out he actually was meeting with multiple people at an event at the rnc convention, doesn't count as a private meeting. >> marie: he should've said that then. >> katie: the questions were framed as did you meet with someone so then framed in the narrative as you did meet with him because you happen to have a quick conversation with him at a random rnc convention meeting. so the definition of what exactly the meeting was has been changed. >> marie: there was more than one meeting. there was one before that foreign policy speech at washington which was private, there was one of the rnc and there were other conversations. so again. the five what does that have to do with collusion? we have to answer the question correctly when they ask you.
9:10 am
the evidence shows has nothing to do was collusion but when someone ask you, you do have to answer. >> katie: i met with multiple people in a group setting that i maybe wouldn't remember. if you're asking about a meeting with the russian ambassador, that's different. >> john: think all of this, it's probably uncomfortable as it is to think jeff sessions made the right set decision to recuse himself and i think he's probably in a position today to clear this all up and actually for the betterment of the trump administration as a result of i it. >> sandra: you do get final word on that. did you know the shutdown is over? now that it is, there is growing liberal backlash against senate majority leader chuck schumer, whether he should have held out for a better deal or was ending the shutdown more important than a few things progressive? and house republicans are holding a memo allegedly containing what some call jaw-dropping revelations about government surveillance abuses.
9:11 am
will soon be made public. whether we will see it and whether america will be as shocked as lawmakers.
9:12 am
you might take something for your heart... or joints. but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember.
9:13 am
9:14 am
9:15 am
>> harris: fox news alert on what could be a growing divide in the democratic party know that the government shutdown is over. president trump last night's in a temporary sending bill into law after senate minority leader chuck schumer is in a majority leader mitch mcconnell reached a deal. now schumer is coming under fire. progressive say he caved to protect vulnerable democrats up for reelection in red states. they say the deal he made does not guarantee any protections for dreamers those immigrants who came here illegally as children. senator dianne feinstein said this quote. it's a great disappointment to me and it's a great disappointment to more than 300,000 young people in the state of california. the strategy was to keep it fixed way must pass a vehicle because there was great worry that the house was not going to pass it. i'm just very disappointed. some are reportedly threatening primary challenges. one activist telling "the new york times" this. that grabs crews are rightly
9:16 am
furious with a slew of elected democrats in the obama years. the publicans learn to be more afraid of primary challenges in general elections the democrats are still operating at those little tea party is more powerful than the resistance. more moderate democrats are defending schumer including claire mccaskill of missouri. watch. >> i understand what the leadership did. i respect it and i do think we got a result and that is the promise is that of made and by the way, as has been said earlier on your show today, what happened here was the trust of the republicans that were part of this deal, not the trust of mitch mcconnell but why would you trust mitch mcconnell? he didn't. he trusted the 12 republicans that can make his life miserable. >> harris: meanwhile. here laughing. i'm not done yet. there might be more. president trump tweeted a big win for republicans as democrats came on shutdown. now i want a big win for everyone including republicans, democrats, and daca.
9:17 am
see you at the negotiating table. i think that what conveys. >> josh: there is no greater defender than claire mccaskill and she's done it again. i think chuck schumer got a real lesson in legislative politics in real-time. it was frankly played out in an embarrassing fashion. it was that he went into this, very responsive to a liberal bias that one to shut down the government and once he got to the precipice of doing that, couldn't turn back. he got over the ledge and all your negotiating power goes away. at the end of the day, that discussion was about whether or not it was appropriate to take away government services for all of the americans across the country, defense, children's health care, you name it in order to deal with the issue of illegal immigration that dealt with people who would like to become americans.
9:18 am
>> harris: this issue is more about the legality of things. that's a hard argument to make in the midst of a shutdown. you can make it across the aisle and that's what they say they can do in a bipartisan matter and outside of that. be five feinstein argues that they attached it to this so would be a must pass by again, democrats are completely out of touch with the american people on how to get this done and the legitimate legal way. the majority of americans according to a harvard poll yesterday. say we want daca to pass but we don't believe we should shut down the government in favor of people who were brought here illegally. it's pretty fair and simple and my concern and what a lot of people feel this way as we only have a few days before we can go through all of this again and what does that show about the chaos surrounding these kinds of issues impact they wanted done by february 8th? and yet again, it doesn't expire until march and democrats have to figure out where the goalposts are here. i would just talking about daca, there has been an increase in
9:19 am
the last three months as daca talk has gone on of unaccompanied minors and their parents coming across the border. do they get to stay? >> marie: i think the publicans have to decide where the goalposts are because i give mitch mcconnell a lot of credit peered he gave democrats something that was important to us in making that commitment to have this discussion. the problem i think now is house republicans who'd been very clear in saying we don't care what the republicans in the senate do, so the republican party and the white house need to get on the same page but what i would say to progressives were met at chuck schumer, alexis have consequences. we are not in the majority. as much as he which in some fantasyland we could control things and force daca to four shut down, that is not how government works. and if you're going to go vote for someone else, who you going to look for to better defend? >> katie: that's a great question. when you could answer. >> marie: i would make the argument to progressives that there are two parties who run in elections and the only party i
9:20 am
would argue who has made daca a priority as democrats. he may be mad at chuck schumer but governing is much harder than carrying signs and protesting. >> josh: welcome to the wonderful world of primary politics. >> marie: i know. >> harris: demo on dem crime. >> marie: this is a momentary blitz. i don't think you're going to see a lot of primaries before 2018 midterms, is almost too late for that. >> sandra: would you want to see chuck schumer hold out for more. >> marie: on friday i on the show said if we get an exquisite commitment from mitch mcconnell to take up daca then we should not cut shut the government down. >> harris: what we've learned is that pretty much what they had on friday. so my question is we have to see a government shutdown to get what chuck schumer wanted? >> josh: we were on this path. this is what was happening. they were currently negotiating. all of this was happening.
9:21 am
love to ask them. i don't think it turned out the way they wanted it to. >> harris: we will move on. republicans sounding off on the anti-trump fbi agents. who once worked on the mueller investigation. what we are learning about the eye-popping number of text messages he exchanged with that other agent. has called for paramore. plus, the explosive memo making the rounds on capitol hill set to show the obama administration spied on the trump campaign. the shocking allegations leaving some lawmakers nearly speechles speechless. >> determination would be the least of these people's once they see the document. i'll take that. -yeeeeeah! ensure high protein. with 16 grams of protein and 4 grams of sugar. ensure. always be you. it's
9:22 am
patrick woke up with a sore back.
9:23 am
9:24 am
9:25 am
but he's got work to do. so he took aleve this morning. if he'd taken tylenol, he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength to stop tough pain for up to 12 hours with just one pill. tylenol can't do that. aleve. all day strong. all day long. and for pain relief and a good night's rest, try aleve pm for a better am. >> sandra: the justice department investigating after the revelation that the fbi "failed to preserve five months of text messages between those two, peter struck and lisa page.
9:26 am
the message is been a crucial window between the presidential transition and the launch of robert miller's russia probe. attorney general jeff sessions saying "we will leave no stone unturned to confirm with certainty why these text messages are now and not available to be produced and we will use every technology available to determine whether the missing messages are recoverable from another source. if any wrongdoing were to have been found to have caused this gap appropriate legal disciplinary action measures will be taken. house oversight committee chairman trey gowdy waiting for an earlier today. >> we are missing five months worth of texts, so god only knows what else. that's a really important time period, sessions has recused himself. bob mueller is coming on board and i happen to like him. i respect him, i think he's going to do a good job, but if he's picking guys like peter struck and lisa page to be on his team and they're only interested in being on the team if they can get the president,
9:27 am
they have no interest in clearing him, that he had some hiring failures of epic portions. >> sandra: and one message made in 2014, the fbi agent debates whether he should join special counsel robert miller's russia probe saying "you and i both know the odds are nothing. if i thought it was likely, i'd be there no question. or hesitate in part because of my gut sense and concern that there is no big big bear there. some believe he is talking about evidence of collusion of course. and to trey gowdy's point, who knows what else is in those text messages that can be found? >> josh: i was always taught that everything you do on the internet is automatically preserved forever where everyone can see it. but there is an exception in the role when it comes to high-ranking liberal officials because in this case and if you think back to hillary clinton email case an irs investigation all of these emails went missing. they've got a secret hear the rest of us need to get in on
9:28 am
because. >> sandra: as the president points out, this is during that crucial period making this potentially huge news. >> marie: and potentially not huge news. we'll see. honestly of all the things that concern me, this is not in the top 20 of what's happening in the world today and in our country. i've always said we need to hear from these two individuals because there's been so much speculation about what their text messages meant and if anyone read our text messages, who knows what people would think. >> harris: can i suggest why might not want that, because one of them is married. i'm talking really honestly her here. if they were at 50,000 of these that are missing. >> marie: 50,000 of the total number the fbi looked at. we don't know how many are missing. >> harris: i've been married almost 15 years. i would be pressed to know, texting hasn't been around my entire marriage but that's a lot of messages between two people that some of them are work,
9:29 am
anti-trump. >> katie: why are we paying these people to sit in text 100 times a day to each other? >> harris: is an excellent question. i could do it for free with my husband and i'm not. >> katie: by the yearly salary to be doing that. the second thing is, i find it amazing that liberals are now stuck on this idea because they don't have any evidence of collusion's and now they're saying it's all about obstruction of justice 50,000 emails in a case, a criminal case is running a criminal and a special counsel about whether the president of the united states was colluding with russians, now 50,000 emails or text messages that are gone don't really matter much when it comes to obstruction of justice. >> marie: i'm not saying they don't matter much. i'm saying what is happening on the right is that people are taking huge leaps of assumptions about things that they don't have evidence for. let me finish. >> there are too many
9:30 am
coincidences. >> marie: let me just finish that the right has put so much power in the hands of these two people and forgotten the fact. so are many hiring fbi officials who worked on the mueller investigation who liked president from. >> harris: so anything is missing at the fbi and they can't find it for an investigation, which is pretend like it's not even this case. it's the fbi. >> josh: it seems impossible. >> marie: you know federal government, it's not impossible. to your point, we put too much faith and trust that these two are all powerful, liberals would have you believe that this george papadopoulos guide nobody's ever heard of and definitely had no power within the construct of the campaign somehow constructed this elaborate scheme to collude with the russian government elect donald trump president.
9:31 am
being investigated saying i lost 50,000 text messages from the period you need from your criminal investigation? spaces why do they need them? >> katie: they are referring to time taking out a presidential candidate in a way of the secret society or meeting in the offices of the fbi to talk about an insurance policy just in case the president wins, making sure that hillary clinton maybe doesn't face charges. the brenda lynch knew about the fact that she wasn't going to face charges but met with bill clinton on that tarmac in secret and then got caught. these things actually matter because it's about corruption. a lot of people want to say that the government is just incompetent. the first thing i think of is corruption just another example of that. >> josh: we wouldn't be talking about if they didn't have a really senior positions in both investigations. >> marie: my point has always been i've never defended their behavior what they've said. my point is always to say they had bad behavior and because of that, the mueller investigation is total or what the fbi decided
9:32 am
on at all. i'm just saying, to take that big leap is unfair. >> harris: you said why these particular text messages and i know you guys talked about it. it's not 50,000 that are missing but their salmon that realm. it has to do with the timing that sander was pointing to. the timing of these conversations, they are looking for bias inside the fbi. that's what it has to do with as well. i will quite significantly. >> marie: we don't know. because it's a crucial time period between the transition. >> marie: i think the federal government does things all the time that look like on outside like there's some big conspiracy and is just confidential. >> katie: and we find out who is deliberate. >> marie: we don't know. >> katie: house republicans hopeful in a memo they say shows the obama white house spied on the trump campaign will soon be public. a republican from ohio says the intelligence committee plans to release on releasing the four-page document but ones that
9:33 am
once americans see it, they'll be surprised how bad it is. >> i read it twice just to make sure i read it properly and it was deeply disturbing. has anyone who's been in law enforcement, any american would say termination would be the least of these people's worries once they get to see the document. >> katie: sources telling fox news that republicans are moving ahead as quickly as they can to get the memo into the public domain. according to sources, republican house and tell leaders have so far denied the fbi access to the memo citing concerns the bureau has not been an honest broker and sharing information. ranking democrat in the house intelligence committee slamming the memo saying it is "rife with factual inaccuracies and referencing highly classified material that most republican intelligence committee members were forced with the knowledge they had never read. this wasn't meant only to give republican house members a distorted view of the fbi.
9:34 am
this might help carry white house wire water but is it deep to service for enforcement professionals. they sure made a big deal out of this memo, seems like they have to deliver it at this point. >> josh: they definitely have too. we have to see the contents of this memo. when you preface it by that. let me just say something that's going to irritate some of my conservative friends. i'm deeply disturbed by the classification of any classified information in any form whatsoever. i think perhaps the congressmen felt as though the only way he could get this information out would be to go public and if that's the case, i understand it. what troubles me is having this public discourse for congressmen by the hundreds are going out and reviewing something but they're asking american public cannot. and then providing a take that formulates the view of what the section says without anybody actually having the ability to fact-check that. and it's classified now we're in
9:35 am
a situation i think where we have to declassify, have to get it out there and i don't know what's in that. >> harris: do you have any unmasking concerns here? >> josh: i have concerns about all of that. >> harris: a pox on both their houses. rand paul try to get everybody to understand where we were with the collection of this information and if americans get scooped up in this, this is a conversation that we could've had two weeks ago and may be made a road forward a lot smoother in terms of not being able to harm americans. we don't know what's in it. but it's interesting to have this conversation after the section 702 which was just renewed. >> marie: there should be a bipartisan way to look at the unmasking process which has been around for a long time, both in ministrations and both parties have used it. i think there's a way to look at this issue and make some reform. >> harris: we could've done at less than two months ago. space and let me finish what i was going to say.
9:36 am
trey gowdy and devin nunes writing this and seeing secret using highly classified material and talking about it, i'm not sure this can all actually be declassified and keep the methods safe. devin nunes trying to cherry pick information, not bringing democrats who care about this, that does do a disservice to the conversation. >> katie: what about that? if republicans are going to be using this and taking highly classified information in making a public from half of the american people, still going to pass through five without any reform, isn't this going to prompt calls for reform and is that something was going to be on the agenda? >> sandra: so go to classified to jaw-dropping which is being used to classify what we would potentially see. i would have to know when everybody else would have to know, is actually going to be the jaw-dropping information and revelations that everyone is expecting at this point? >> josh: that's the big question. we don't even know with respect
9:37 am
to 702 whether or not this is something that is significant in terms of its application for this collection. >> harris: if they will be anybody caught up on this. >> josh: we don't know. 702 is an important program and has kept us safe for a whole lot of years so even that, i don't want to jump to the conclusion that we are somehow in a situation where people are misusing it because we just don't know. but unfortunately, now we are in a situation where we have to. >> harris: if warrants are issued, we won't have to worry about them. >> katie: all eyes on immigration reform as democrats demand protection for the dreamers by the spending deadline. how much will each side giver and taken who has the upper hand and to be end up right back where we started?
9:38 am
9:39 am
9:40 am
i wanted to know who i am and where i came from.
9:41 am
i did my ancestrydna and i couldn't wait to get my pie chart. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know more about my native american heritage. it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com. powerful skincare,s now light-as-air a breakthrough moisturizer delightfully whipped for instant absorption feel a light-as-air finish in a flash new olay whips ageless
9:42 am
>> harris: all eyes on immigration reform after democrats voted to pass yet another stopgap spending bill yesterday to fund the government through february 8th. the move came after republican said the senate would negotiate a dreamers deal as long as the government was reopened. democratic senator richard blumenthal said he's hopeful republicans will keep that promise. speak with a made by the majority leader is very important. and the principle that was established that we believe that the dreamers deserve this protection highlighted it for this whole nation. opening the government was a common goal and they have common goals no going forward for the majority leader accountable. must keep his promise if it wasn't made on the floor the senate. and everyone's view several
9:43 am
times, that provides a basis going forward. >> harris: some democrats are more critical of the decision to trust republicans in the shut down for protections for dreamers. he just said they were talking about putting that in place. senator harris who oppose the stopgap bill says majority leader mcconnell "i don't believe you made any commitment whatsoever and it would be foolhardy to believe that he was made a commitment." nobody knows for sure that the republicans and democrats will be able to reach a deal on daca by february 8th but everyone will be trying with a big additional focus put on military strength and border security. talk about your broken promises. does this fit in that category? he is taking his spending boost for the president's border wall the table. senate minority leader through an informed the white house that he retracted the offer he made
9:44 am
last week to give the president well north of the $1.6 billion in wall funding that previously was promised. >> josh: i think -- >> harris: i'm reclaiming my money for the wall. >> josh: what he did there was a bait and switch anyway. what he offered was an authorization on appropriation. an authorization that has existed since 2006 when chuck schumer himself along with senate democrats and bipartisan group of republicans voted to put the wall. >> sandra: what is he withdrawing? >> josh: that's the whole point. it's been a bait and switch type effort from the very beginning. i think there is a common goal. i think there is a bipartisan deal for the daca situation but there are republican priorities dealing with chain migration, the family-based merit-based system and border security mainly a wall. those three things are not unreasonable. nobody cites poll numbers about
9:45 am
those three things. together, they make a deal and i don't understand why chuck schumer and everybody else can't get to the table with that. >> harris: you're saying there wasn't an actual 1.6 billion on the table. there was some talk right around. chuck schumer was on the floor and talking about this issue that there might be more money. what happened? >> marie: trump put a whole bunch of things on the table and decided they weren't good enough for him so both sides doing a little bait and switch. that's how it so often works in washington. i actually have a little more faith that the senate can get to something like you're talking about. i think the senators on both sides of the aisle made clear that they're negotiating in good faith. what i have much less faith in his the house. and we heard house republicans say not going to look at what the senate does and said on the record their base won't support it. maybe there's a scenario. >> sandra: could you say there negotiating in good faith? lindsey graham and dick durbin
9:46 am
showed up at the white house with this apparent deal for the president that didn't look anything like they discussed at that lovely bipartisan event. space and it a lot like they discussed. i think you could get a bill that passes the senate and the house where you lose the freedom caucus but you get democrats. >> katie: yesterday, chuck schumer as soon as he was announcing that he was reopening the government weeded out a warning to republicans and said you have 17 days to come up with a daca fix. attend to the spending bill puts daca in a situation where it's going to fail because it is being treated as an add-on and not as a serious issue as it should be. democrats are doing it for political reasons because they will never allow a republican to take credit for the amnesty that will come with daca because they're the ones who want credit for it. when the president announced chain migration, he's doing it for good reason. if we had a number of terrorists in this country who have killed american citizens on our soil who have come here as a result
9:47 am
of chain migration or the diversity visa lottery program. he's putting something on the table that everybody supports and they have to be able to get to it but because of the time whether they've set up or setting it up to fail. as they did the first time around. >> harris: so interesting. i know we will revisit this topic many times. at least over the next 17 days. by the way, they don't have that many legislative days left. we've only got like six. congress do your job. >> harris: work extra hours like we do sometimes. while thousands of women took to the streets to protest president comes one year anniversary an office on saturday, a new poll finds the president's approval rating is rising among men. we will talk about the effect of this apparent gender gap and what it tells us about the midterm elections in 2020. stay close.
9:48 am
9:49 am
9:50 am
9:51 am
>> sandra: more "outnumbered" and just a moment but first, was go to harris. >> harris: working on the next one. white house deputy press secretary hogan ghibli will join me. i'm going to ask him what does the white house make the special
9:52 am
counsel interviewing attorney general jeff sessions of the russian investigation? this is the first known time that muller's investigation has gone inside the president's cabinet. also joining the next hour, house judiciary chair paul good lap on jeff sessions going to get to the bottom of those months worth of missing text messages between the two fbi officials were having that affair who exchanged antitrust messages. we get answers on it, will anybody be held accountable? that one more on overtime top of the hour. >> sandra: thank you. >> marie: there is no signs of a gender gap and support the president from. over the weekend, thousands of women marking the president's first anniversary in office by marching in protest saturday in cities like new york city and washington. and while surveys showed the president has struggled with women, the latest cnn poll put his different approval among the group at 65%. it's a much different story among men. that same poll shows the president's approval among that group jumping to 49%, an eight-point rise. the poll also found the president's approval improved
9:53 am
ten points among conservatives. but mostly of those independents who lead towards the republican party already. so it is also reports that are ncc chairwoman has told the white house she's worried about their support with women particularly in the midterm. what do you think -- those of the publican party have a women problem? >> josh: i'm clearly the least qualified on the couch. >> marie: that's why went to you first. >> josh: i will say this. democrats have at least for the last decade made a centerpiece of every political campaign a concerted effort to try to drive a wedge and identity politics in one of them is gender. so you see all the marches that happen over the weekend, you saw the marches after the inauguration, the goal of all is that is to somehow try to represent to this president doesn't represent women. it was a concerted effort, it's a huge campaign, it's funded by millions and millions of dollars.
9:54 am
so to the extent that there is a gender gap, campaigns work. space as i would also say the president's own words give a lot of fodder to people that he could treat women a little better. we had the story recently about the star stormy daniels. >> sandra: i think that gets away. i think that's not fair. >> marie: is something that you see in polls. >> sandra: if you ask people directly, should the president choose a different language, chris people are going to say yes. >> marie: do you think that will impact how women vote? >> sandra: i'm saying what women care about is their families, their pocketbook, the economy, and if a strong economy as a direct reflection of the party in power, women will continue to vote in that direction. right now, i'm around young families all the time and people feel good about the current situation, feel good about the economy unemployment is down, jobs are going. they like what they are seeing.
9:55 am
the economy is huge when it comes to women and taking care of their families. >> katie: i think it's important to get back to the things that matter and president from has more women in his cabinet and i think any other president ever has. he is nikki haley at the u.n. front and center taking on the rest of the world, kellyanne conway as the first female woman to ever run a successful presidential campaign. as an get any credit for that and all we can focus on are these women who went out in the streets dressed in a male body parts and claim to represent women and what they care about. i think it's disrespectful to women to represent them that way and it's not about women, it's about being anti-trump and program aggressive policies because people like me aren't welcome at that march because i believe differently. when a claim that representing all women, it's about victimhood, but identity politics and it's about making sure that women feel like they have to vote for democrats because the government is going to take care of them when the family is not. >> marie: are you concerned about the poll numbers?
9:56 am
and virginia, and alabama, independent women say they are voting for republicans. >> katie: i think it depends on who you look at. single women tend to vote. ♪ your heart doesn't only belong to you. bye grandpa. and if you have heart failure, entrusting your heart to entresto may help. entresto is a heart failure medicine
9:57 am
that helps improve your heart's ability to pump blood to the body. in the largest heart failure study ever, entresto was proven superior at helping people stay alive and out of the hospital compared to a leading heart failure medicine. don't take entresto if pregnant. it can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. don't take entresto with an ace inhibitor or aliskiren. if you've had angioedema while taking an ace or arb medicine, don't take entresto. the most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure, kidney problems, or high blood potassium. ask your doctor about entresto. and help make more tomorrows possible. ♪
9:58 am
[ click, keyboard clacking ] [ keyboard clacking ] [ click, keyboard clacking ]
9:59 am
♪ good questions lead to good answers. our advisors can help you find both. talk to one today and see why we're bullish on the future. yours. talk to one today and see why we're bullish on the future. the morning walk until... it... wasn't. don't let type 2 diabetes get between you and your heart. even if you reach your a1c goal you are still at risk for heart attack or stroke. talk to your health care provider today about diabetic heart disease. and find out more at heartoftype2.com. your heart and type 2 diabetes. make the connection. >> sandra: thanks to josh holmes, it is always good to have you. it's always a fun hour. he smiling like that because the
10:00 am
conversation is always interesting. >> josh: on air, off air. >> sandra: marie, katie, any parting words? >> marie: no, see you later. >> sandra: we are back at noon tomorrow, here's harris. >> harris: the russia investigation reaches the president's cabinet, let's go "outnumbered overtime." i'm harris faulkner. jeff sessions has been interviewed as a special counsel to the russia probe, the first known time that they have interviewed apart the men's member of the president's cabinet. this comes as robert mueller is investigating contacts between the presidential campaign and the kremlin and whether the actions constituted any obstruction of justice. the white house says it is nothing to hide. >> the administration continues to cooperate with the special counsel, we have been transparent during this process

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on