Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  March 27, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
>> jean, it's been a good ride but it's over saturday. go blue. >> bret: grandma rose, sister jean, by the way, part of the proceeds from the bobble head sales will go to loyola's athletic program to the sisters of charity. thanks for inviting us into your home tonight. that's it for this "special report" fair balanced and unafraid. here is martha. martha? >> martha: they will both have to beat villanova. thank you, bret. good to see you tonight. so questions this evening about whether the reclusive north korean leader kim jong un may have made a secret trip to china ahead of his planned talks with president trump. the south china post and other reports site this, quote, mysterious armored train rolled out of beijing on tuesday, apparently bound for pyongyang. the 21-car train got yellow stripes which reportedly was noticed because it looks a lot like the one that kim jong un's father took when
4:01 pm
he went to pyongyang in 2011. it would be the first between the united states president and so-called dear leader of the hermit nation. met last week in finland to discuss the parameters of this possible would be historic summit. this as we watch the markets roller coaster on a looming trade war with china and rally in recent sessions on the possibility that china might be coming to the table to potentially renegotiate some of their deals. today, the president was on the phone with prime minister angela merkel of germany and president macron of france. he was urging these two allies to join forces in pressing china for better terms and to halt the theft of intellectual property. all of this as russia continues to react, somewhat mutedly to the largest expulsion of intelligence
4:02 pm
operatives in the u.s. and around the globe in history. all of that with a back drop the president's approval numbers have been inching upward to their highest approval numbers in months. the latest fox news poll finds 45% of voters approve. that is up two points since february. a new cnn poll shows 42% approve. that's the highest it's been since his 100th day in office. joining me now is senator lindsey graham south carolina senator. good to see you tonight. >> good evening. there is a lot to talk about. >> martha: there is a lot to talk about. first of all, your thoughts about possible meeting in south carolina and what might hav.we have had appeasemet mentality in north korea. the president told north korean regime i don't want a war but will stop you from joining icbm missile on top
4:03 pm
to hit the american homeland. if i have to go to war to stop you, i will. i think he has got north korea's attention. he has convinced china he is serious. he has gotten them to the table u nobody else was able to do it. jimmy carter is upset with jim bolton. we tried it to the jimmy carter way for 30 years. let's try it to the donald trump and john bolton way. i'm very excited to hear about what could happen. >> martha: it's interesting to hear about these phone conversations between angela merkel and president macron. >> yes. >> martha: when raised these notions haze taker call backlash. you can't do that terrible impact on your own country's economy. this is classic, if you read the 30-year-old book art of the deal, it's throw out that sort of dramatic first marker and then kind of work your way back from there and something is better than nothing. >> well, fire and fury worked when it came to north korea. we have the best chance in the last 30 years to end the north korean nuclear program and maybe sign a peace treaty with north korea, china, and south korea to
4:04 pm
end the korean war. if i were president trump, i would think big. in terms of pushing bang againsbackagainst china's cheatg they still intellectual trading. they require to you chinese business partner. once you get up running two years later all your intellectual property is used by somebody across the street, fully owned chinese company to steal everything you bring to china. they manipulate the currency. they dump steel below market value into the world economy and trump said during the campaign he was going to push back. he has. and if the french and the germans were smart, they would join president trump to change chinese business practices. >> martha: what about the push back against russia. the expulsion of all of these transcripts. several other countries came on board with this move today. the president has been accused since he was elected. >> right. >> martha: of being too soft on russia. what do you make of this move? >> i think when the president decided to expel the russian spies and diplomats, the world
4:05 pm
followed. it shows what happens when america leads from the front, the rest of the world follows. i have never seen so many nations pushing back against russia. i went to a national security conference in munich. nato is alive and well again because putin is creating havoc throughout the world. i think what president trump did, the rest of the world followed. it's going to make a difference. clearly we haven't done enough to change russia's bhar. they're still very brazen, very emboldened, what president trump did with expelling these people, i think, is going to pay dividends overtime. >> martha: when you look at the russian reaction, you know, they are sort of scoffing about it. representative, you know, it's no big deal. in terms of their intelligence, their ability to gather information around the world, has that been curtailed dramatically by this move? >> they begin to be isolated. they have the economy the size of italy. if the president could rally the world to push back against russian and really hit them economically. have sanctions that hit really hard, then putin is
4:06 pm
basically going to gas station masquerading as a country. people are going to get tired of him stealing them blind within russia itself. we have a magic moment in time here to get north korea to the table, to do something no other president has been able to do, which is to give up their nuclear program. if president trump will pour on the pressure to russia, i think we can change their behavior. because they are basically a very weak economy. >> martha: the president is also going to meet with leaders of atone gentleman, latvia and litani wane i can't. that's also going to get putin's attention and not going to be happy about it. >> putting american troops in baltic. these are the -- members all democracies. the countries you just named. we will send troops over there to help train their military. fly the nato-american flag right in putin's face. the more we can do to push back on russia the better the dividends because putin will never respond to weakness. he will only respond to strength. and the one thing i can tell the american people after eight years of weakness and
4:07 pm
appeasement by obama, i am really pleased to see a president leading from the front, john bolton is going to be a great national security advisor. and the only reason north korea is talking to us is because they are afraid of donald trump and i think the way you change russia's behavior is just pour it on. >> martha: we're going to talk to gordon chang in a moment. more on north korea and china. i want to get your thoughts on a couple of domestic issues before i let did you go tonight, senator. the first is this sort of buzz that the president is going to try to find a way to use the pentagon budget, the defense budget to pay for the wall; that there are certain, you know, old rules that might allow him to kind of divert some of that domestic money and get it to help pay for the wall. is that true? >> i don't know. but i wouldn't advise that. we need $650 billion to repair the damage done during the obama administration to our military. going into the north korea negotiations, we building our military is going to make north korea look differently at donald trump.
4:08 pm
russia is looking differently to us as we build up our military. the best way to get the wall money is to do the deal the president talked about. the $25 billion for the wall in return will do a deal for the daca recipients. that's the deal to be done. and if he would announce that any time soon, the democrats would be in a box. because i want them to say no to the daca recipients because they don't want to fund the wall that america needs. >> martha: didn't they essentially do that with this last spending bill. >> not really because it was wrapped up into the spending bill. there are a lot of issues going on at the same time. if president trump came out tomorrow and said listen i want my wall money because we need to protect money we need wall. i will be more than fair to the daca recipients, democrats would be in a terrible box politically. >> martha: i know you were sorry about the way that went the last time around. we will see if they can get somewhere with it this time around. interesting editorial this morning from a former supreme court justice john paul stephens. he said we really should just do away with the second amendment. we will do more with the
4:09 pm
panel come up. >> don't run for senate in soutsouth carolina. i'm up here to defend the second amendment rights of my citizens. my constituents, not take them away. i hope every democrat will be asked what you asked me, is it a good idea to repeal the second amendment? i want every democrat to answer that question. this is a very bad idea. i am glad he is retired. he has a right to his opinion like every other american. i'm up here to protect the second amendment and not repeal it i can't wait to hear what nancy pelosi says and every other liberal democrat. see if they will stand with justice stephens or they will stand with the constitution. i'm dying to know. >> martha: we will see. they will be asked. senator, great to see you. thank you very much for being here tonight. >> thank you. >> martha: here with more perspective on all of this gordon chang an asian analyst with expertise on north korea and china and the author of the book "coming collapse of china." gordon good to see you. thanks for coming on the story tonight. first of all, your thoughts on this train that looks very similar that carried
4:10 pm
kim jong un's father on his visit to beijing. do you think that's what happened here? >> yeah. i certainly think so. i think what the chinese rural told kim jong un have you got to come to bang. chinese feeling that trump had cut out china from the denuclearization process. china wanted to make themselves relevant again. kim's first foreign trip was going to be to south korea. second foreign trip was to meet president trump. the chinese felt the first foreign trip from north korea should to be china. the chinese look at the north koreans as vas sells. they don't want them dealing with south korea or the united states. >> martha: why would they hide it then? why wouldn't they publicize it? >> well, it's traditional that the chinese do not public size that a north korean leader has been in beijing until that north korean leader has returned to the north. and the reason is the north koreans are very, very
4:11 pm
concerned about, you know, the generals in north korea, back in north korea, you know, launching a koop if if they think he has been out of the country. >> he has never been to china. he has probably never ever been out of the country. it's not unlikely, right? >> as leader he has not been out of the country. we are pretty sure about that. because people do track his movements and there is no indication he has left the country before monday. >> martha: let me take a look -- let me show you this and put this up on the screen this tweet from president trump back on march the 2nd. he said when a country, u.s.a. is losing many billions of dollars of trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good and easy to win. example, when we are done 100 billion with a certain country, i can insert china into that, and they get cute, don't trade anymore. we win big. it's easy. your thoughts on that,
4:12 pm
gordon? >> yeah, economists are going to be horrified but trump is actually right. you know, we can win this trade war. last year, 88.8% of china's overall merchandise trade sur plus related to sales to the united states. that was up from 2016. so, the chinese are really dependents on the u.s. you know, we as americans know that trade surplus countries are vulnerable because in the last grate trade war which was the great depression we got hurt the most because we were the trade surplus country. other countries around the world the great depression was not so great. >> martha: what about the input from merkel today and macron and those conversations? how powerful would it be if we could get some of our largest allies to join us in this effort? >> i think that's extremely powerful and we should congratulate the president on this. i think that the germans and the french and everybody else are going to be joining the united states in. this trump is the one to act first. the problem is that there is now a trade outlaw at the
4:13 pm
center of global commerce. that's china. we have got to do something. and president trump moved first. we are going to see the french and germans and everyone around them also join the united states in this because they have no choice. the chinese are giving everybody else no choice. >> martha: i mean, there are big tech electronics moving around here. is there not? is that an overestimation of what is happening? >> it's not an overestimation because what we have had for four decades is the united states trying to get china to join the international system. we have seen it to be in our interest to support the communist party of china up until now. and now we are starting to understand the dimensions of the mistake that we made for those decades and we are trying to reverse it. this is the fight of our lives, martha. >> martha: i want to play this sound from president trump on intellectual property because i think it's a discussion and a topic that you know, sometimes gets lost in the shuffle and i want you to help us understand what's really at stake here. here is president trump.
4:14 pm
>> if china does not stop its illegal activities, including its theft of american trade secrets, and incident electric 2w5 intellectual properties i will apply duties until china ceases and desist. the theft of intellectual property by foreign nations costs america millions of jobs and billions and billions of dollars each and every year. >> martha: how are they stealing all of this from us, gordon? >> well, they are doing it in a way that senator graham mentioned. there is also just cyber attacks. if you want to do business in china you have a joint venture with a chinese company and you lose your intellectual property. now they have what they call national security laws and regulations that require u.s. tech companies to divulge all sorts of secrets like source code and this is absolutely critical. heart of the american economy right now. if president trump doesn't defend it, there is no more economy left. he is doing what he has to
4:15 pm
do to protect the united states. >> martha: it's going to be really interesting to watch how this plays out in the coming weeks and months. gordon, great to he so you. thank you so much for coming on tonight. >> thanks, martha. >> martha: you bet. so, coming up, the first american to escape al qaeda, breaks his silence. why he says the fbi failed him, specifically mueller and comey. we're going to talk about that. we have a statement from the fbi that we're going to read tonight with regard to that as well. matt schrier here exclusively this hour. should the 2020 census ask if you are a citizen? and, if it does, which party stands to benefit from the outcome? marc thiessen and juan williams debate when they join news just a moment. and those rumors that the president might borrow from the massive defense budget to build his big beautiful wall. why will get their thoughts on that too when we come back. >> we have $1.6 billion for the wall that will start
4:16 pm
immediately. this is a shrm funding but it's immediate, starts immediately. because your risk of heart attack or stroke is up to four times greater. but there are steps you can take to lower your cardiovascular risk. talk to your health care provider today about diabetic heart disease. and find out more at heartoftype2.com. your heart and type 2 diabetes. make the connection. but there's no way to avoid that mi...s pmi, hey! this'll help. rocket mortgage by quicken loans makes the complex simple. there's also origination fees and... this takes care of it, thank you. yeah. understand the details and get approved in as few as 8 minutes. even when nothing else is. keep her receipts tidy, brand vo: snap and sort your expenses with quickbooks and find, on average, $4,340 in tax savings.
4:17 pm
quickbooks. backing you. ( ♪ ) stop dancing around the pain that's keeping you awake. advil pm gives tossing and turning a rest and silences aches and pains. fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer with advil pm. fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer if his denture can cope with... a steak. luckily for him, he uses super poligrip. it helps give him 65% more chewing power. leaving brad to dig in and enjoy. super poligrip.
4:18 pm
with esurance photo claims, you could have money for repairs within a day. wow! that was really fast. so it doesn't have to hurt for long. that's insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
4:19 pm
>> the purent is to determine individuals that are here. it also helps to comply with the voting right act.
4:20 pm
without that it's hard tore make determines and that information needs to be gathered and it has been part of the united states census every time we have had a census since 1965 with exception of the 2010 census. >> martha: trump administration sparking outrage over a proposal to include a question on the 2020 census asking participants are you a legal united states citizen? democratic attorney general in several states fired back almost immediately, javier becerra in california and new york attorney general joined in that saying they will sue the administration to prevent that question from being asked arguing it could lead to serious under counts to hurt democrats' chances of getting elected. are they right? here institute scholar and fox news contributor and juan williams. thank you for being here tonight. mark, in history, up until
4:21 pm
about 1950, this question was routinely included on these census. why would it be wrong, illegal, potentially unconstitutional to include it now. >> it's a ridiculous charge by the california attorney general. it was not illegal. it was asked for 130 years. it was asked as part of the long form which is the question that goes out to about one sixth of census people. it was asked until obama took it off in 2010 and it's still asked as part of the annual survey the census bureau does. why are democrats so upset about this? the answer is to two things money and power. they are afraid, illegal immigrants if they are asked this question will not participate in the survey and that will reduce their population numbers because illegal immigrants are concentrated in 20 metropolitan areas that are predominantly democratic. why would they be upset about that is because the census numbers are used to apportion money, the $675 billion that goes out in federal funds to these cities. and, two, they are used to
4:22 pm
decide how many seats each state gets in congress. so, you know. >> martha: that representation, mark, is based on citizens, right? >> yes. well, it's supposed to be. >> martha: the numbers, the representation numbers are based on representing american citizens in congress because as a citizen, you have the right to have your voice be heard in the capital and the congress and in the senate, juan, so why, i mean, i can understanding politically, juan, why this is a sensitive issue in terms of numbers. isn't it a pretty tough argument to argue against? >> no. in fact, james madison when he wrote the federalist papers said we need an accurate census in order to properly apportion not only members to the house of representatives, to the congress, but we also need it because it impacts allocation of federal funds, spending on programs, federal programs for people. so that if you are a citizen of this country, martha, but you live in new york or d.c. or any of the big cities,
4:23 pm
your services will be impacted if there is an undercount. and what we know right now is that this will depress the count of people who are intimidated, legal immigrants who are intimidated from participating. and we also know quite clearly that six former people who ran the census, six former directors have said this is a bad idea wilbur ross, the current commerce secretary. don't do it. it will in fact discourage people from participating and all of it america not only the politicians but the businesses rely on an accurate count of how many people are in the country. that's what this is about. >> martha: pretty crafty political move. also something that's pretty easy to back up based on the fact that it was until 1950, mark. >> yes. absolutely. it was done for 130 years. and it still was done until obama stopped it. if juan wants an accurate count, then let's get an accurate count of citizens and noncitizens. juan, you agree with me that
4:24 pm
illegal immigrants shouldn't be counted in deciding how many congressional districts a state gets, right? you agree with that don't you? >> no, i disagree with you. >> you think they can't vote, why should they have any say in how many congressional districts the state of new york or the state of california have? >> well, remember, mark, there was a time in our country's history slaves were counted as three fifth for that purpose. >> juan, you are not comparing illegal immigrants with slaves. >> shouldn't we have counted slaves at that time. >> of course we should have. >> wanted the states included because it pumped up their numbers. >> that has nothing to do with slavery, juan, that's ridiculous. >> why? >> noncitizens can't vote. why should noncitizens be counted in deciding congressional districts? >> let me respond to your question? let me respond to you. >> and why should sanctuary cities be rewarded with more federal funds because they have turned themselves into magnets for illegal immigrants. that's what you are arguing they should be able to get more money, they are going to lose money because illegal immigrants won't
4:25 pm
participate in the census, that means they should get more money because they packed it with illegal immigrants. >> martha: juan feels bad for all the people in new york and california and happen to live in a state where so many illegal people that they might lose some of their own services. >> correct. it impacts all of us as american citizens. it impacts the way that we li in this country. we have 11 to 12 million illegal immigrants in the country. the question is should you as an american citizen be punished if you live in a community that has a high percentage of illegal immigrants? this has become politicized to the point thought trump re-election campaign directed fundraisers to raise this isn't this good news? let's cheer that on? >> martha: that's the politically cynical take on it and there may be some merit to it but, mark, so is that being done to balance out the gerrymandering issues around the country that look like they're going to benefit democrat districts.
4:26 pm
>> being done to get an accurate census. >> no. this would not be accurate. >> if you are an american citizen you are not getting punished if you have illegal immigrants. they shouldn't be counted how much money your state gets anyway. >> why is that? >> you are getting an accurate count. >> the founding fathers fathers wanted accurate count. that's what james madison spoke about. >> hold on. my turn, juan. >> martha: last thought. >> counted radio and rewarded ford making themselves imagine netteds for illegal immigrants. >> you are saying magnets. >> sanctuary city you are a magnet for illegal residents. >> how illegals are treated because you care them b. them communicating with law enforcement. are a marlette's establish that you both have different ought attitudes. [laughter] >> martha: juan and marc, great to see you. >> martha: we had this story last night he escaped al qaeda only to be betrayed by
4:27 pm
his own government. matt sharier in exclusive interview on set with me next. students marching in the street are not going far enough. what they should be demanding, he says, is the total repeal of the second amendment. mollie hemingway and mark glaze debate next. >> so our big question today is can you protect the second amendment while still protecting innocent lives? dear foremothers,
4:28 pm
your society was led by a woman, who governed thousands... commanded armies... yielded to no one. when i found you in my dna, i learned where my strength comes from. my name is courtney mckinney, and this is my ancestrydna story. now with 5 times more detail than other dna tests. order your kit at ancestrydna.com
4:29 pm
now with 5 times more detail than other dna tests. directv gives you more for your thing. your top-rated thing. that five stars, two thumbs up, 12-out-of-10, would recommend thing. because if you only want the best thing, you get the #1 thing. directv is rated #1 in customer satisfaction over cable. switch now and get a $200 reward card. more for your thing. that's our thing. call 1.800.directv when this guy got a flat tire in the middle of the night. hold on dad... liberty did what? yeah, liberty mutual 24-hour roadside assistance helped him to fix his flat so he could get home safely.
4:30 pm
my dad says our insurance doesn't have that. don't worry - i know what a lug wrench is, dad. is this a lug wrench? maybe? you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you™. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. are cream conditioners bringing your hair down? switch to new pantene light as air foam conditioner, full of rich pro-v nutrients. for 100% conditioning, 0% weight. new pantene. foam conditioner.
4:31 pm
>> they will take away your second amendment, which we will never allow to happen. they will take away your second amendment. [cheers] >> martha: president trump has long made the prediction and now with a push from the parkland survivors and others across the country
4:32 pm
for a 21 for gun law, tighten background checks and an assault ban -- rifle ban, a former supreme court justice says the problem with the movement today is that it doesn't go far enough. in a "new york times" op-ed justice john paul stephens says he believes the second amendment was written during a time when militias were needed and that he has always been against it. he says, quote: the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform. they should demand a repeal of the second amendment. here now mollie hemingway senior editor at the federalist and fox news contributor and mark glaze co-founder of guns down. good to see both of you tonight. just first your reaction to justice stephens editorial today, mark? are you in favor of banning the second amendment? >> i actually think it's an interesting argument and one the country ought to have. i don't think we need to repeal the second amendment to do all the regulation we need to do and here's why. the heller decision interpreted the second amendment to mean those
4:33 pm
rights have a gun in the home for self-defense. justice scalia said there is plenty we can and should do to regulate guns as long as we leave that right intact. under that ruling states have done a number of things including going as far as banning assault riflts and some some pretty conservative courts of appeal have upheld those regulations. >> martha: i want to talk about how difficult that would be to do. molly, first i want to get your reaction to the editorial from justice stephens this morning. >> it's absolutely chilling to see that people who advocate gun control are opposing the constitution and foundational right to keep and bear arms that defines who we are as a people. it's also good that they are being honest what the end game is it's not just something that maybe a lot of people can agree with actually taking their tact directly to the constitution and bill of rights and even beyond that. this is something mentioned in the declaration of independence our foundation of who we are as a people and right to have redress against a government that might become despotic.
4:34 pm
>> martha: mark, do you agree with that? it's foundational who we are. it's a freedom enjoyed and exercised by millions of americans across this country who feel they have a right to protect themselves and feel that they are safer, especially in this current environment if they have the ability to protect themselves. >> well, i think the question we have to ask ourselves is whether the people who wrote the constitution intended for the second amendment to be a suicide pact which is a way many folks on the other side are basically treating it today. every day in this country 100 americans are killed at the barrel of a gun. and, yet, gun right advocates like mollie say there is nothing we should be doing beyond now what we are doing to solve this problem. what we are doing now isn't working. >> martha: is that true, mollie? is there nothing we could do to make the country safer? >> take, for example why we are talking about this now which relates to the parkland shooting where you had massive governmental failure at the federal, state and local level of citizens trying to have their government help protect against a person that they identified as a dangerous individual, and you had nobody taking these citizens up on their
4:35 pm
arguments. the second amendment is not just a guarantor of liberty. it's not -- just doesn't protect our right and keep arms. also guarantor of liberty catastrophic governmental failure which we saw in florida. >> martha: where is the outrage, mark, about the fbi? where is the outrage about sheriff israel and the outrage about the 27 times that this man's house was visited by officers? you know, it's really something that we did not hear at these marches at all and it is, perhaps, the one thing that actually might have stopped this tragedy. >> you know recite something reciting from nra talking points about making the fact that the broward county sheriff's department fell down on the job somehow mean that gun regulation doesn't work. the fact is we know from a lot of different data that states that have stricter gun control laws actually have fewer people who die as a result of. >> martha: what about chicago and washington, d.c. places that have very strict gun laws that you see rampant killings. >> let me tell you what the problem with chicago is
4:36 pm
chicago does have tight gun laws but the jurisdiction surrounding it including places like indiana do not. so people who want guns in chicago just want to indiana to get them. that's why we need federal laws. >> martha: last thought, mollie. >> good to see progressives are open about oppositional they are to the constitution and constitution as in the bill of rights. >> martha: good to see you tonight. for seven months he was held captive by some of the world's most evil men. when he returned home, his troubles were far from over. matthew shrivematt schrier sayst turned their back on him when he needed them most. is he here live with exclusive interview next. >> trying to escape. flip you over feet in the air and handcuffed and take a cable about as thick as a nightstick and whack your feet. rd shop.
4:37 pm
frank knowns northern soul, but how to set up a limited liability company... what's that mean? not so much. so he turned to his friends at legalzoom. yup! they hooked me up. we helped with his llc, contracts, and some other stuff that's part of running a business. so frank can focus on the beat. you hear that? this is frank's record shop. and this is where life meets legal. today, it's the dawn of a new lawn. that's because roundup for lawns has arrived. finally, there's a roundup made just for your lawn, so you can put unwelcome lawn weeds to rest. draw the line. with roundup for lawns, there is no better way to kill lawn weeds to the root without harming a single blade of grass. it's a great day to be a lawn. draw the line with roundup. trusted for over 40 years. ♪ ♪
4:38 pm
that i served. of the fact i was a c130 mechanic in the corps, so i'm not happy
4:39 pm
unless my hands are dirty. between running a business and four kids, we're busy. auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, life insurance policies. knowing that usaa will always have my back... that's just one less thing you have to worry about. i couldn't imagine going anywhere else. they're like a friend of the family. we are the cochran family, and we'll be usaa members for life. save by bundling usaa home and auto insurance. get a quote today. jushis local miracle ear t at helped andrew hear more of the joy in her voice.
4:40 pm
just one hearing test is all it took for him to hear more of her laugh... and less of the background noise around him. for helen, just one visit to her local miracle-ear is all it took to learn how she can share more moments with her daughter. just one free hearing test could help you hear more... laughter... music... life. call now! for a limited time, you can get $500 off miracle-ear hearing aids! i just want to find a used car without getting ripped off. you could start your search at the all-new carfax.com that might help. show me the carfax. now the car you want and the history you need are easy to find. show me used trucks with one owner. pretty cool. [laughs] ah... ahem... show me the carfax. start your used car search and get free carfax reports at the all-new carfax.com.
4:41 pm
>> martha: last night on "the story" we brought you the exclusive story of matthew schrier an american held hostage by al qaeda affiliate for seven months before he made an incredible escape. he came home to little fanfare. in fact, he alleges that the treatment he got from his own government was dreadful, suggesting that the fbi not only lied to his family but essentially used him as a pawn in a sick terrorist game of chess. >> you are saying the fbi sacrificed your safety in order to track al qaeda? >> yes. >> former intelligence officials told fox schrier's theory is more than plausible. a big allegation to make. >> can i prove it it. >> martha: red to tell his story in a new book called the dawn prayer what he learned. matthew schrier thank you for joining us tonight. >> thank you. >> martha: there are so many angles to the this story. phil, can you explain to everybody how you got out? you are locked in a cell with walls as high as you
4:42 pm
can see with another guy, another american, and your first thought is i'm going to get out of here. >> i saw the window was flawed. once upon a time somebody clipped the wires. very thick wires cemented into the foundation of the building. somebody clipped them and welded them on but they didn't do a good job. i tried pulling them off and praying them off. they didn't work. i started studying them and realized they were welded in on one side and held together by tension if he unweaved the verticals i could bend back on the side they weren't wove and create the opening. >> how did you stay okay? i said to you before we sat down. you were tortured, right? >> right. >> martha: you were beaten. >> right. >> martha: you were dragged? >> no. >> martha: mistreated? >> yeah. >> martha: and you say, you know a few days after you got back, you bounced back. >> yeah. you. >> you got to stay as positive as possible. i know it sounds crazy. i tried to keep my sense of humor and mind clear as jewish guy in al qaeda
4:43 pm
prison. the way i thought of things are, you know, the only thing worse than -- the only thing almost as bad as cutting your head to be cut off so i didn't do that i tried use the time to my advantage by trying to figure out a way out thereof and other exercises. >> martha: it worked. i want to talk to you about the fbi. how do you believe that they wronged you? >> i know that they wronged me. at first i thought it was incompetence. but after i started really investigating everything and looking at the financial records and the documentation between my mother and the agent lindsey on the indicates. >> martha: your parents were trying to get you back. >> my mother was. the fbi never told my father i was kidnapped. they convinced my mother i was okay so she wouldn't. my father would have demanded answers a lot more. it was easier to not have him involved. once i started really investigating everything, i realized that she was lying about a lot of things. like in an email after i came home i said they dransd my bank accounts. you told me that you froze
4:44 pm
them with $8,000 left. she says yeah did i freeze them in an email and they must have called with your security questions. meanwhile citibank sends he email saying they never froze them we froze them because of overdraft in personal savings and they moved on to business account. >> martha: they were using your computer to keep track. >> no, no. they were using my money. took all my financial information and hacking into my accounts and buying computers with that money. and the fbi was monitoring all of my finances. we know this yar beyond a reasonable doubt they were monitoring my finances before they ever spoke to my mother. this is because the agent told me she thought i joined al qaeda because they paid off my discover card. that's what it takes to fool the fbi. because they thought i joined, and i was basically judged guilty until proven innocent, they started monitoring everything and they saw they were buying laptops, ten at once, tablets on ebay and have you got to think, this is a dream come true.
4:45 pm
we intercept the laptops, we get the ip addresses, maybe put some g.p.ss and microphones in and deliver them right into the hands of al qaeda. and they spy and me, while i'm not coming home anyway, so, no harm, no foul. as long as you are not me. >> martha: essentially as catherine said in the piece that we just saw. this is a statement from the fbi that they put out today. they knew we were going to be speaking with you and they sent it here. it says the fbi fully supports the work of agents and victim specialists who have remained consummate professionals working with mr. schrier. since returned homeworking to provide mr. schrier with a full range of services and guidance to help him rebuild his life. we do this for all victims; however, and it is at the discretion of the victim to accept and implement these resources. they are suggesting they have offered you help and to work with you and that you
4:46 pm
haven't taken it. >> they gave me health benefits that were the same things given to illegal aliens. and when i went to this doctor, he refused to prescribe me something to help me sleep because he said it was narcotic and he doesn't believe in it f.d.a. approved drug. that's why i stopped seeing him. they gave me a shrink who cancelled five appointments my first two months home. within 10 minutes of my first appointment she tried to put me on lithium. they won't give me a new social security number even though al qaeda stole my identity they have my social security number. they can do whatever they want with it. >> martha: the united states denies you social security number. the agent would be like i can't help with you that i can't do it. what is the witness protection program for? only the criminals? >> martha: and you believe you gave them a wealth of information that they could use? >> i gave them a ton of information. i gave them two skype names. one of them had 287 contacts on it. that's 287 terrorists. and all of their contacts. and all of their contacts.
4:47 pm
i memorized serial numbers on brand new windows in the cells. so that they can hack into the company's account and figured out who paid for them and funding them. where they were delivered. who they were delivered to. i kept track of the date, every date -- every significant event that happened when i met bin laden's commander, the top guy, i know what day it was. i gave them everything. they didn't even know that the rebel groups were fighting each other. for months it was going on and they were like they are fighting? i'm like yeah, right outside my window. right outside the car when we were being transferred. they thought it was like one big happy family out there and they were shocked when they heard the truth. and now, excuse me, it's protocol. it's like everyone knows that isis fights al qaeda. >> martha: the information you gave them. >> exactly. >> martha: fascinating story and called "the dawn prayer" that was the time of day you determined after they went to prayer in the morning that they would take a nap, that was your window and
4:48 pm
literally your window. >> right. >> martha: to get out and to run for your life and to be released. it's an amazing story, matt, thank you very much. >> thank you so much for having me. >> martha: good to see you tonight. so you have likely heard from skeptics that the world is basically in free fall. progress is moving backward. we will talk to a harvard psychologist who argues that actually what's going on in the world is the opposite. steven pinker here to explain why now is actually the best time to be alive. ♪ has pro-skin technology designed to quickly wick away moisture to help maintain your skin's natural balance. for a free sample call 1-877-get-tena. for a free sample no one burns heon my watch! try alka seltzer... ultra strength heartburn relief chews. with more acid-fighting power than tums chewy bites. mmmmm...amazing.
4:49 pm
i have heartburn. heartburn relief from alka-seltzer. enjoy the relief. hey, sir lose-a-lot! thou hast the patchy beard of a pre-pubescent squire! thy armor was forged by a feeble-fingered peasant woman... your mom! as long as hecklers love to heckle, you can count on geico saving folks money.
4:50 pm
boring! fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:51 pm
4:52 pm
>> martha: so from the masters in parkland to las vegas to the protests against the president and the second amendment, sometimes it seems like we live in a very contentious and bitter and divided time. but my next guest says once you push the doom and gloom headlines aside and you actually look at the data, you begin to realize that now is actually a pretty great time to be alive. here now to make his case harvard school list steven pinker. enlightenment now. dr. pinker great to have you tonight. i was fascinated when i looked at the charts for new
4:53 pm
book. jump right. in despite the fact there is so much talk about divisiveness, we are actually less prejudiced as a people now than we were in the past. true? >> that's right. i think it's easier for racists and other bigots to find each other. if you look at surveys, number of people that have bigoted opinions has been steadily falling. if you ask would you be upset if an african-american family moved in next door? the proportion is going down. do you think someone should be fired from their job because they are gay? the percentage is going down. do you think women should return to traditional roles in the kitchen? proportion is going down. so you might say and i worried about this. well, maybe people still have bigoted opinions but they know that it's kind of socially unacceptable so you don't blurt it out to a polster over the phone. but even if you look at more subtle measures how often do people search on google for racist jokes that's been going down and no one is
4:54 pm
watching, private guilty pleasure. >> martha: except for facebook because they are watching everything apparently. are we safer as a society? >> we are safer in just about every way. we're about 95% less likely to die in a car accident, a plane accident, to be killed on the sidewalk by a motorist. we're less likely to drown. we are less likely to burn to death. everything except dying by opioids. that's going up. everything else has gone down. >> martha: one piece see going up there is death by poison as you point out. it is the tragic result of the increase of deaths in the country by opioids. >> that's right. but the homicide rate is down, the rate of domestic violence, the rate of bullying of children. the rate of rape and sexual assault. all of them have declined from statistics were first kept in the 1970s,. >> martha: in terms of being freer, let's put up those numbers just in terms of spreading democracy around the world. this fascinated me because
4:55 pm
you say of all the people living in the 60 nondemocratic countries that are left today, 4/5ths of them reside in china? >> that's right. there definitely is back sliding from democracy in countries in russia and venezuela and turkey. but, still, the overall trend is towards democracy. and even when i was a student in the 1970s, there were maybe 31 democracies, now there are more than 100. countries like spain and portugal were fascist dictatorships. greece was ruled by the military colonels. latin american. south korea, taiwan, all of the military dictatorships, now they are all democratic. >> martha: big picture to look at. very interesting. thank you so much dr. pinker, i hope to have you back because there is a lot more to talk about and we are short on time. good to see you tonight. thank you so much. >> thanks for having me on. >> martha: quick break. more story whe when we come back.e veggie dish ever?
4:56 pm
california walnuts. the best simple dinner ever? great tasting, heart-healthy california walnuts. so simple, so good. get the recipes at walnuts.org. and when you switch to esurance, in the modern world, it pays to switch things up. you can save time, worry, hassle, and yup, money. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved hundreds. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. it's 6 am. 40 million americans are waking up to a gillette shave. and at our factory in boston, more than a thousand workers are starting their day building on over a hundred years of heritage, craftsmanship and innovation. today we're bringing you america's number one shave at lower prices every day. putting money back in the pockets of millions of americans. as one of those workers, i'm proud to bring you gillette quality for less,
4:57 pm
because nobody can beat the men and women of gillette. gillette - the best a man can get.
4:58 pm
so, my portfolio did pretthat's great.year. but the market was up nearly twice as much. that's a tough pill to swallow. exactly. so i started trading. but with everything out there, how do you know what to buy? well, i think my friend victor has just the thing for you. check this out, td ameritrade makes it easier to find the investments that might be right for you. like our etf comparison tool it lets you see how etfs measure up to one another. analyst ratings and past performance... nice. td ameritrade also offers access to coaches and a full education curriculum to help you improve your skills. that is cool. and if you still have any questions you can always chat with us on facebook or call our experienced service team, 24/7. yep. just because you're doing it yourself doesn't mean you're on your own. that's great. you're still up. alright. you're still up. if i knew you were gonna run the table i wouldn't have invited you over. call (866) 295-0908. act now to take advantage of commission-free trades
4:59 pm
for 90 days, plus get up to an $800 cash bonus when you open and fund a new account. ♪ >> martha: going back to where we started tonight, we can now confirm that north korean state media is saying
5:00 pm
that kim jong un inteed was in beijing for a meeting with president xi. that is our story for tonight. see you back here tomorrow night at 7:00. go to d.c. and check in with tucker carlson coming up next. ♪ ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." the commerce department today announced changes to the census. ordinarily that would not be a very big deal. starting in two years respond dents will be asked if they are u.s. citizens. that question has been asked on census forms in years past and obvious questions for asking it. constitution requires it is to apportion congressional districts so americans with can vote for representatives. only u.s. citizens are allowed to vote in federal elections so it might be nice to know how many live in this country. sound reasonable to you? even boring? are you still awake. if not you are not a professional outrage merchant. the left came

26 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on