Skip to main content

tv   The Ingraham Angle  FOX News  April 24, 2018 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
glad they are okay. all right, that's all the time we have left. we will always be fair and balanced. we are not the destroy-trump media. that's why they hate us, but that's why we are so thankful you support us. anyway let not your heart be troubled. laura ingraham standing by. hello. >> laura: i have a question. what do you have in your cup at night? do you have regular water? do you have like a latte? do you have a frappuccino? what do you have in your cup? do you have anything? get rid of -- i am antiplastic i can't even. get rid of all plastic. we are getting all plastic gone from our staff. >> sean: what do think this this is, vodka? >> laura: well, you need to get rid of the plastic and you need to have a paper cup because we are destroying the oceans and the sharks. >> sean: i am wearing jeans. i don't get dressed up. this thing around my neck which are despised and i'm going to rip off in a few seconds. have a great show. >> laura: i don't know what
7:01 pm
that was. but good evening from washington. i am laura ingraham. this is "the ingraham angle." you're looking at a live shot of the white house as president trump concludes his first state dinner. we are expecting the departure of the french president macron and his wife at any moment. so much for the myth that trumps america first policy means isolating from entertaining and diplomacy. the president is now the leader on the world stage. that we knew he would be. the french president departs tonight and german chancellor angela merkel arrives on friday. potential historic meeting between trump and kim jong un over north korea's nukes is imminent. so how different reality is from what the so-called experts predicted not so long ago. >> this administration may be just a series of flip-flops, waivers on foreign policy for four years. that would put a lot of americans and a lot of people across the globe in great jeopardy. >> we have stepped away to
7:02 pm
global leadership, and we are in fact not only have we stepped away but we are kind of gotten shoved off the stage. >> this man poses to the safetye united states of america. >> on the world stage, this president is humiliating americ america. no question. >> the united states has built up its credibility and political capital over the last century. the trump administration is reading that trust fund. >> laura: i think i just went into rem cycle. totally deeply. lo, there is still time to revise and extend all of your comments, ladies and gentlemen. from lawrence might state dinner from let's go to fox news chief national correspondent ed henry lives at the white house. ed, give us the scene. we want to know what it's like there. i'm jealous i'm not there. looks fun. >> is interesting, laura, because it was more intimate than other state dinners we've seen. basically about 13 or so tables of ten. candlelit.
7:03 pm
they tried to make it intimate. also the toast just wrapped up a few moments ago, and president trump, contrary to what critics have been saying, was very direct and saying look, we are going to build on this friendship, that god needs to bless this alliance, he said, because we are going to do great things together. in fact, there is already some suggestions that this relationship is bearing fruit. earlier today, the french president, along with president trump, talking a lot about iran and in fact making some progress on that. remember the president has been talking about pulling out of the iran nuclear deal brokered by barack obama. the iranian foreign minister over the weekend had threatened that if that happened, iran is going to speed up its nuclear activities. well, today what we saw was a bit of a compromise. president trump talking tough on iran, warning them that they will face severe consequences like they have never seen before if they keep up this tough talk, if they restart their nuclear program. what the french president tried
7:04 pm
to do in the side of this emerging friendship, he said look, instead of just pulling out of the deal, let's try to find another way. let's reshape this nuclear deal to address some of president trump's concerns. so contrary to the idea that he's acting unilaterally, in fact, they seem to be coming together on this important issue of iran. listen to the toast from president macron tonight. >> we will work together and we have this ability to listen to one another. this is the reason why our relationship will serve our strong history, and we are also aware of the challenges ahead of us, but we will keep working together. >> the french president went on to say that remember it was the british, not the french, who burned down the white house. and he said look, it was president monroe who decided to buy french furniture to spruce up the place. kind of an interesting joke. it seemed to fall flat in the
7:05 pm
room, laura. people may be thought maybe that's not such a great way to break the ice. the bottom line is they are trying to come together, and it's a lot different than one oh lot of critics. it did. >> laura: thanks so much. last couple days, we've seen a real bromance develop between the president and his french counterpart. we have put together a fun little collection from washington's newest odd couple. ♪ ♪ >> we do have a very special relationship. in fact, i will get that little piece of dandruff off. we have to make him perfect.
7:06 pm
he is perfect. >> laura: that means trump is felix, correct? >> i guess so. he is trying to tidy things up. gosh, laura, if we are ever unset, i hope you won't wipe dandruff off and make a big deal of it. i have a problem sometimes. we are friends. i don't want you to do that. >> laura: i'm sorry. but i think the two of them together are hilarious. i love it. i think it's great. it's very unexpected. >> angela merkel as well. pretty frosty with her. >> laura: we'll see. who knows what might happen with angela after this event. we just don't know what will happen. ed, thanks so much. now for tonight angle. the trump administration takes the caravan to court. no doubt you've heard about the caravan of illegal immigrants moving north through mexico. according to "the new york times" come over 100 have already made it to the u.s. border.
7:07 pm
the caravan started out with more than 1,000 people. it is now down to about 500 or so. now, some of these migrants have told reporters that they planned to find ways to get across the u.s. border. now, most of them are from honduras, so many are expected to apply for asylum supposedly to escape violence at home. well, anticipating backup on the trump administration is sending additional i.c.e. attorneys, justice department judges, and also prosecutors to make sure the caravan asylum cases will be "adjudicated properly." we have also learned, this is curious, that american attorneys have traveled southward to meet with migrants to instruct them on their rights to apply for asylum here in the united states. we did some digging, and according to reports, two of these lawyers are allegra love
7:08 pm
of santa fe dreamers project, and marie vincent, who also works for a small 5o1c3 organization. vincent has said that many of the migrants are strong candidates for asylum because they are fleeing political persecution or violent games were threats over their gender or sexual orientation. but for asylum eligibility, according to section 1208 of the title 8 code, attorneys have to establish that their client has "reasonable fear of persecution." and that is what democrats and the media have been claiming, that these are political refugees escaping violence and the eskimo persecution. >> it's really more of a symbolic kind of p.r. moved by the migrants who want to talk about and want to bring light to the lack of rule of law and the human rights violations that occur in central america. >> every time the president gets in a political jam, anytime he
7:09 pm
is feeling threatened politically, he goes back to a few of the same things. beating up on immigrants, mexicans or criminals. >> the picture of president trump paints hordes of immigrants, many of them criminals poised to storm the border but the caravan cnn found is a very different scenario. we will take you live to meet the families. many women and children waiting for the next move. >> laura: well, there are next is to crash into our country country. the problem for the attorneys helping the members of the caravan could be the u.s. law, the code section 12 -- 1324, excuse me of title 8. an offense for any person who encourages or induce and alien to come to, enter, or reside in the united states knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that stench coming to, entr your residence is or will be in violation of law.
7:10 pm
the question is when does advocacy for illegals and up crossing the line to committing a 1324 offense. interesting legal question. well, because of the attorney-client privilege, this could be tough to determine. but as these attorneys are holding what is being described as these large group seminars and demonstrate intent to skirt the laws or to help the migrant skirt the laws, well, they could be in jeopardy at least technically. here's the other problem for these lawyers. most of the people in this caravan, as i said, are from honduras. well, a poll conducted by a jesuit research group found a whopping 83% of hondurans were considering migrating to the united states were motivated by purely economic reasons. in other words, they simply wanted to move to a wealthier country with better economic opportunities. only 11% said they wanted to leave due to violence and
7:11 pm
insecurity. so given that poll, immigration judges have to be really skeptical about these asylum claims. and if these claims, a lot of them are bogus, as i assume most of them are, what does that say about the attorneys themselves? michael cohen, trump's personal attorney, remember, he was called a fixer. well, what would you call members of the american bar who arguably connive with their clients to board or get around u.s. immigration law or at least gain it? how many of these migrants know exactly what to say to asylum judges? well, it's a must like when you hear this, they are almost working off of the same script. how would they all know to say the same thing? huh. well, the president is doing the right thing. he is heading the caravan off of the past. this is what he tweeted yesterday. he said "i have instructed the secretary of homeland security not to let these large caravans
7:12 pm
of people into our country." another tweet "mexico, whose laws on immigration are very tough, must stop people from going through mexico and into the united states." we may make this a condition of the new nafta agreement." well, the plan is to detain any asylum-seekers until their hearings. the others will be prosecuted for illegal entry, and i say good. catch and release does not work. the trump administration said they were ending it. it must be ended now. there can be no more catch and promise you will show up for your asylum hearing because as we know, and we have discussed this many times, the vast majority of those asylum-seekers never show up at their hearings. they disappear into society. trump is right. partnering with mexico to stop the flood of immigrants to pouring through mexicans
7:13 pm
southern border. tying it to trade might be the only thing we can do. might be -- if you can see building the wall is more necessary than ever, you must be blind. the president should also put honduras on notice that this virtual invasion has to stop. it's not virtual. it's a real invasion. even if that means things don't change, threatening to suspend foreign aid, which honduras testily needs. it would also help if we got our own house in order and stopped the abusive asylum and the process of applying and facilitating it by american lawyers. more has to be done there. so-called asylum-seekers all get their day in court, but for the american citizen? security and justice always seemed delayed. and that's the angle. joining us now for reaction here in studio is art arthur for this headed for immigration studies. immigration attorney alan orr. gentlemen, great to have you on.
7:14 pm
this is a big deal because we have now seen a large groups of people, not just one group but several groups over the last four or five months begin to mol the way to the u.s. border. the latest due to arrive any day now. what is the immigration system in our country supposed to do when we have masses of humanity brushing the border and having their actions facilitated in part via u.s. lawyers? alan, you are an immigration attorney. they are flying down there, at least the two we have been able to identify, and apparently they are representing hundreds of people. how can you represent hundreds of clients? you don't know who they are. you don't know what their intentions are. >> i don't think they are actually representing. they may be having clinics to inform people of their rights. advocates that big of a problem because usa.gov tells immigrants all the time exactly with the rights are to file the asylum claim.
7:15 pm
it's one of the things they are doing at the humanitarian issue, sort of a good samaritan type thing to go to these people who are in need from their home countries are sort of inform them of if they are coming to the united states, this is what you will need to do and what you will and encounter at the point of entry. >> sean: reasons to seek asylum. persecution coming up to have credible fear of persecution. due to race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. explain that because it looks like a lot of these hondurans, especially are coming here because of economic concerns. they want a better life. a lot of people in africa want to come here for a better life but they can't come through mexico. they have to go in a boat. it's an economic concern masquerading as an asylum claim, credible fear of persecution. political or criminal or so forth. >> for these grounds for asylum are very easy. race, religion, nationality,
7:16 pm
political opinion. membership in a particular social group is wide open. could be anything. could be based on gender identity. it can be based on, you know, i was harmed because of my familial relationship. for that reason, most of these people claiming they had been harmed by gangs. asylum officers have to figure out where there is a claim based on membership of a particular social group, given the claim they have. that's really where we get all these people. >> laura: right now we have 311,000 asylum claims backlog in the united states. as of january. 311,000. dhs has said this is a crisis point. we've got, like, we've got to really winnow down the fraud which is a lot of fraud here. we have to do something about this because we don't have the manpower. we don't have the money. we don't have the judges. we don't have the prosecutors. we don't have the system to do
7:17 pm
this. so alan, everyone wants to be a humanitarian. we given a lot of money to other countries. millions of people around the world want to come here because they are being persecuted. i mean, a lot of people in the united states feel persecuted. minority groups, different sexual orientation groups. people all over the world believe they have a credible of education. conceivably they could all apply for asylum, correct? >> that's correct. there is no bell curve on humanity. if someone has, they meet the requirements. >> laura: what about the humanity of the american people, the taxpayer, the children in an overcrowded classroom? >> that's not necessarily the fault of immigrants. that sort of the reason for the backlog in the court system. you have to look broader than those issues for the school. left that's something where congress wants to spend more money. speed you they want to spend more money on americans because they are suffering too. >> making sure our borders -- - >> laura: the borders should have a nice situation question mexico they want to make sure america has a nice situation.
7:18 pm
our country is built on immigrants. >> laura: not illegal immigrants. >> they are not illegal because they're not here. if they are not here, -- >> laura: "new york times" reporting many say they are going to get here. they are all going to stay outside the border and they are going to be dutifully processed. no, a lot of them say we are getting here by hook or by crook. the sense is they have a right to be here. it's not just oak, help. it's we have a right to be here. mexico deserved some of the blame here. because mexico, instead of deporting them from mexico or keeping them, they are giving them these temporary visas to travel from southern mexico up to the border. trump is about up to here with mexico on this. >> absolutely critical point. quite frankly, mexico needs to defend its southern border in order to stop these individuals from coming to the united states. in addition, mexico is an asylum granting country itself. if these investigated are in
7:19 pm
fear of their lives, quite frankly they can apply for asylum because the fact they continue on to the united states indicates that perhaps they might have economic reasons. >> laura: they are country shopping. right now america is better than mexico. guys, great segment, as always. candace owens is a -- winning a lot of fresh praise from kanye west, sparking a new liberal meltdown. the conservative commentator joins us next with her reaction.
7:20 pm
7:21 pm
♪ >> laura: my next guest has sparked a national debate on the conventional wisdom about african-americans and politics. candace owens has urged black voters to think independently for themselves and to question liberal orthodoxy. she has been mercilessly
7:22 pm
attacked online, but coming to her defense, interestingly, has been hip-hop star kanye west. he tweeted on saturday "i love the way candace owens thinks." is he plunking us? what's going on question because we share with you last night, a hip-hop radio host claims west told him that he loves president trump and he likes owens because she is challenging conventional black thought. joining me now george respond to the controversy is candace once herself. hey, how are you? >> i'm doing great. thanks for having me. >> laura: you go to a college campus and start talking about think for yourself and be your own person. gosh, that's kind of a "me too" thing. stand up for yourself. don't be a victim. i was listening. i didn't see who it was. i thought it say "me too" thing. then i thought all, it's candace owens. why is this so controversial? were you surprised that this
7:23 pm
became such a big deal. obviously kanye weighs in but were you surprised question mexico actually wasn't surprised at all. this is what i've been talking about across college campuses with turning point usa. there is a liberal indoctrination, they think they have a monopoly not just on our students push was what we do a turning point usa but also on the entire black race in america. they cannot fathom that we might have different ideas. they don't understand because they have significantly created a mental prison for all of us. the second somebody runs off what i refer to of the democratic plantation, they send the dogs out. >> laura: interesting moment on the radio show, an interesting host. he was talking about kanye west and he was saying kanye is not thinking a dependently because he lives in a bubble. let's watch. >> kanye is talking about things that don't affect them. >> let's be honest. none of these things affect him. he lives in a bubble where it's
7:24 pm
like none of us could really understand. all he is surrounded by is the kardashians and a bunch of yes men and in the fashion world. he doesn't understand what's happening in the streets, what's happening when it comes to protests. none of that. >> laura: wait a second. as if there aren't multimillionaire african-americans, latinos, and others living in beller, brent, malibu. because you don't live on the streets, then you can't comment on anything? odd bringing in the kardashians. what was going on with that comment question mexico wasn't a very smart comment. a salacious argument that could be attacked a thousand different ways. to suggest that because somebody is money they can't think or they don't have any knowledge or facts or data makes entirely no sense. in fact, you could argue that they may have more access to things. after that just incredibly low i.q. was when it comes down to. at the end of the day, these radio hosts are not the great philosophers of our time. they do they do.
7:25 pm
they get on there and they try to throw up the controversy, talk about the story of the day. >> laura: well, i am a radio host and i talk about the subjects of the day but i try to do it with some degree of knowledge and expense. candace, where you going next question mexico i'm going to keep doing what i'm doing. i am going to keep punching bag. i have zero fear. i knew this was going to be the blowback. i know you recently has mixed greens with this. you understand mob mentality. the result is usually has adverse results. that's what we've seen with your show. we are going to see the same thing in the black unity. create conflict and at the end the day it ends up waking up more people. it's the fact that we don't have enough diversity of thought within the black community. >> laura: thanks so much, candace. i'm sure you would agree with many critics who say that liberals have encouraged blacks to embrace, at times, a cult of victimhood. an example to they might be an editorial in today's
7:26 pm
"los angeles times" headlined "black people rolled into think starbucks was different, as it saves space. we were wrong." the writer spoke of the jarring reality that for black people especially men, there is no such thing as that kind of neutral space. joining us now to discuss whether that's true are john james, republican candidate for senate in michigan. and wendy sfo, democratic strategist, and john's hopkins university professor. your reaction to what candace is arguing. intellectual diversity and the need to encourage diversity of thought. >> it's okay to be intellectually diverse and we should welcome it but what's a fact and what we know is it's not about black victimhood. our criminal justice system is flawed when it comes to black and brown people. black people make up 13% of the american population but they make up 30% of those individuals who are killed by cops and 45% of black people have said that they have been unjustly harassed
7:27 pm
by police officers. this is not about starbucks. this is not about the issue that happened at waffle house. this is not about the women who belong to a country club, black woman, kicked off the country club for playing golf too slowly. this is about our criminal justice system being inherently flawed. this is not an opinion. this is a fact. >> is a black man in this country, i understand that one of the most challenging positions is not only to be a black man but a conservative black man. as candace is saying, 20 people have died for our right to be able to think for ourselves and to not take on this great response billy. if we were talking about chick-fil-a not starbucks, the most dangerous place in america to be would be between chuck schumer and a camera. as long as we're talking about statistics here, you talk about the minority of bad cops. bad cops responsible for. trading these crimes against african-american males and anybody across the country, it'u consider the good cops out there
7:28 pm
doing great things for a country, keeping us right now, right here, save everything a day. >> when we talk about cops, let's be clear. my brother served in the nypd. my grandfather is a retired police officer. you don't have to educate me about cops. what we do know is that cops disproportionately attacked black and brown people. that's not an opinion. it's a fact. let's use this one example. let's use this one example. we know that the killer who killed four black and brown people in a waffle house was taken. it was okay. he was fine. dylann roof killed people in a church, and he was treated to a happy meal from mcdonald's. before he went to prison. but why is it that one one andn people -- it's a fact. why is it that black and brown people, when they are out in the street, they are not apprehended in a way in which white people are. those are the facts. >> laura: wendy, you are getting -- well, you're getting
7:29 pm
off track. our segment is devoted to whether african-american -- yea yeah, i celebrate all police. there are bad people in my business. there are bad cops. we all get it. we all get that. >> i didn't bring up the nypd. i brought up the minority of cops. >> laura: i think what happens is that we encourage hostility on both sides. we have incredible police officers doing really difficult jobs, as your family does day after day after day. and i think we have to be careful with our language. we have to be careful with how we paint with a broad brush. otherwise kids of all backgrounds are going to feel like "i'm afraid." i don't even want to report a crime. i don't want to see a police officer. i don't want help from a police officer because they are not fair or they are inherently biased. getting back to the point of candace for a moment. she goes to a college campus and she talks about thinking for yourself. just because you grow black
7:30 pm
doesn't mean you automatically register d for democrat. that's her point. i've seen time and again that black conservatives or latinos or even asians, they are treated like they are second-class citizens within their own communities. they are looked out, like what's wrong with you? you are an uncle tom. you are an uncle tom messina, i've heard. that i think is toxic. let people debate the issues. let people have different points of view. don't demonize them. you might disagree. maybe they are wrong. maybe they are right. maybe sometimes i am wrong. you are right. there is no monolith. >> i agree. i don't believe people challenged candace when she said it's okay to think differently. absolutely. we are not monolithic. we all do not think the same. however, where the challenge came in was when she talked about the flawed rhetoric that black lives matter has no ground to stand on. when she says you guys are talking about slavery. but none of you guys experienced it, so why are you bringing it up. on your choke here today, i am
7:31 pm
challenging candace to a conversation, to abate about what she mean by that comment. >> laura: she would love to debate. >> i love to debate her. i don't understand what she means by the comment that just because we did not ask. slavery that we have no right to say issues of slavery are still impacting the black unity. >> laura: point of view. >> those say we are still expressing slavery but not slavery of wrists and ankles but slavery of the mind and we are continually being told that if you think a certain way, that i'm not black enough because i've different thoughts. so i think what we are talking about here is mob mentality, it's a bigger threat to our democracy than any foreign country. we need to make sure we are broadening our minds. >> laura: all right, fantastic conversation. i have a question. did the obama administration step in to squash
7:32 pm
>> laura: there may be evidence that the obama justice department pressure the fbi to drop an investigation of the clinton foundation during the heat of the 2016 presidential campaign. the inspector general recently submitted a criminal referral against the fired fbi deputy director andrew mccabe for lying to federal investigators. but buried in that report is
7:33 pm
mccabe's description of a crucial phone call in august of 2016. now, that's when mccabe claimed he pushed back hard against someone in obama's doj who seemed to be pressuring the fbi to quash a probe into the clinton foundation. let's discuss the stunning details of former fbi undercover agent james reddick and sucker mature california who handled, i think you handled a corruption,e corruption task force in sacramento, i believe. if i got that right. let's talk about where we are here on this case. i had you on radio this morning. you are so great. i'd invite want to be. is this normal for an fbi principal associate deputy to call up the fbi and say kind of slow walk this investigation of the clinton foundation. if this is how it went down.
7:34 pm
>> thanks, laura. yes, i ran the corruption squad here in sacramento for a number of years. it is the states capital city, most populous, large estate of the nation. conducted numerous investigations while being suspect corrupt officials and many high-level officials and i can tell you that conversation that matthew axelrod had with deputy director mccabe asking him to stand down, if you will, the agents working the clinton investigation was improper. you know, i do not agree or support many things mccabe did but his pushback there justice department officials telling them they were influencing or attempting to influence an investigation was improper, you know, i agree with. unfortunately, it was his disclosure of that conversation that of course has caused him problems, and now the ig has
7:35 pm
made a criminal referral to the justice department. >> laura: it shouldn't matthew axelrod, i might've missed his testimony, shouldn't he be called to testify on capitol hill about this? if that's actually how it went down? >> sure. i don't doubt that there are a number of officials. i don't believe axelrod made that telephone call on his own. i don't doubt that he didn't discuss the matter with sally yates. i don't doubt that there are emails and other text communications surrounding the call because that me just say this. i worked 35 years and ran the corruption squad for a number of those years. nobody has made a phone call to me attempting to get us, influence and investigation, that was already open predicated and have much -- was valid, if you will. >> laura: presumably for political reasons. this is in the heat of the campaign, august 2016. hillary at that point looked like he was probably cruising to victory. you don't want this clinton foundation.
7:36 pm
i am just by getting married this thing smells, stinks to high heaven. unless this is something mccabe is also making up. he was lying about other things. maybe he could have been lying about this. but it didn't seem so. james, thank you so much, with your wealth of extremes. 35 years with the fbi. meanwhile, we may finally, finally get some answers on whether political bias affected decisions in investigations at the fbi and the doj. including maybe even this. congressman bob goodlatte and trey gowdy announced they have made a deal. this is like the north korean deal. the department of justice will turn over documents their committees have requested finally. let's get the details firsthand from the house judiciary committee chairman bob goodlatte who joins us in the studio. mr. chairman, good to see. this is a threat of subpoena. this is the result of a threat of subpoena and perhaps contempt of congress. this is not -- >> absolutely. we saw the same effect with the comey memos last week.
7:37 pm
now the department is working with us and the fbi, by the way too. making changes at the top. bring to bear the forces that be. follow the truth wherever it leads. i think it's going to lead to's of interesting places. >> laura: could you actually find some of these documents? perhaps this matthew axelrod was advised by someone else to call over to mccabe and say we don't want any more problems with this investigation. >> absolutely. our understanding with the justice department includes looking at documents that their search terms yield documents but we will also be able to say we want to use our search terms to find email communications and other communications and other documents related to that very matter because that goes right to the core of our investigation into how the fbi handled all the matters related to former secretary clinton during 2016 and on into 2017.
7:38 pm
>> laura: this is a quote from brad schultz men whose referencing whether sally yates could have been the person, at one point acting attorney general. they are pointing to her on this. "in my experience these calls are rarely made in a vacuum. the notion that the principal deputy would've made such a decision and issued a directive without the knowledge and consent of the deputy attorney general which she was the time is highly unlikely." he was counsel to the principal associate deputy during the bush administration. sally yates. ceremoniously quit, remember in the beginning of the administration, does this sound plausible? >> absolutely. that is good insight. that will also be part of what we will have the opportunity to examine relevant documents and investigation. the department is now sitting up a room at justice where we will be able to send or investigate is down there and see the documents. >> laura: how many documents? >> up to 1.2 million.
7:39 pm
it's important understand not all those 1.2 million documents are relevant to our investigation. that's what was given to the inspector general. of course we are very interested in his report as well. but we have our own entitlement and our own investigation to look at those documents. they will start producing documents. we will then have the opportunity to see them unredacted and get possession of them, the westernmost material to the investigation. >> laura: with this big segment on these caravans coming -- why do we call it caravans? it's like a circus. caravans. it's a fun thing. coming toward the u.s. border. overwhelming the system. you are proposing legislation that would deal with some of these loopholes in this asylum process which is rife with problems. congressman, we've got to deal with this. >> absolutely. securing america's futures act which you have said great things about before. we've been working to build up the score for this. this is a good illustration of what's coming toward our board right now. it's exactly why we need that legislation because it addresses
7:40 pm
it in several ways. first of all, it gives the ability of the administration to return people safely to their homes without having to keep them here for long. next time. for asylum applications which are being grossly abused -- >> laura: this is a joke. 311,000 outstanding asylum applications. most of them never come for their hearings and they go and live in the united states. they are seeking asylum. they just want a better life with a better economic situation. >> asylum is a good and appropriate consideration. 5,000 a year most years. now 300,000. it's fraud. >> laura: total scam. >> our bill fixes it. >> laura: is the president going to help? stick with the president strongly supports it and we need to bring -- >> laura: republicans better start doing things. you are carrying the load for all of these other republicans. republicans need is for the president's agenda. you are doing it. we've got to get this wall buil
7:41 pm
built. >> that's also in this bill. >> laura: you authorized it but we've got no money for it. >> that's right. we are an authorizing committee, not appropriation. it can be part of the final bill. >> laura: congressman, thank you for coming in. we really appreciate your work on this. it's essential we deal with these loopholes. coming up, melania trump scores are a huge triumph over the media and her critics. we will explain. right after this. they appear out of nowhere. my secret visitors. hallucinations and delusions. the unknown parts of living with parkinson's.
7:42 pm
what plots they unfold, but only in my mind. over 50% of people with parkinson's will experience hallucinations or delusions during the course of their disease. if your loved one is experiencing these symptoms, talk to your parkinson's specialist. there are treatment options that can help. my visitors should be the ones i want to see.
7:43 pm
>> laura: president trump pulled off a diplomatic coup in the last few days, playing host to french president emmanuel macron. first lady melania trump has engineered her own diplomatic triumph recently. first as a dignified white house representative at the barbara bush funeral this weekend and then over the last two days as the flawless hostess of the french first family. including at tonight's state dinner. maybe melania will finally get
7:44 pm
some of those magazine covers that featured michelle obama so prominently and frequently. but i won't hold my breath. to discuss where all of this, we are joined by fox news contributor rachel campos duffy along with the publisher of catalina magazine, cathy areu. great to see both of you. let's start with you, rachel. melania has had to endure jimmy kimmel, mocking her accent. i know you apologize. that's fine. but you know, she's not gotten the cover of "vogue" five times in the first year like michelle. i'm exaggerating but you know what i'm saying. she has been scrutinized. the she's holding her husband's hand or not. it's unless. yet tonight we see a beautiful dinner that she did not hire or an event planner four. she did it all herself. all the design, all of the selection. no desiree rogers helping her. >> i mean, remember she was a
7:45 pm
socialite. we assumed when she was mrs. trump living in manhattan she probably hosted many events. this is her showcasing what she brings to the office of first lady. or the position of first lady. i would say that while this has been an amazing event and it has been flawless, you're absolutely right about that, laura, she's been doing this all along. i've been so impressed with not just her quiet dignity, as you brought up, but also just this diplomatic use of fashion. it's been brilliant when she went to paris and to that restaurant at the eiffel tower. she was wearing red, white, and blue, a symbol of both legs. she wore that gorgeous black caftan with the gold in saudi arabia. who can forget the amazing asian inspired gown she wore in china with the pink. she is been doing this all along. i have to say also. you are right. jimmy kimmel has been mean. so as the fashion industry.
7:46 pm
those who have celebrated fashion. so many have taken a stab at her. >> laura: michelle obama. i think she was on the cover pretty much every magazine that's ever been published. good verbiage is a beautiful woman. she's a great first lady. but melania trump has gotten, like, nothing from the elite fashion industry or certainly from the entertainment industry. >> she is from the elite fashion industry. this is a former model. she's had many covers. we don't want to see her on another cover. we want to see her in the white house. >> laura: i'm talking about the way first ladies are treated. >> she hasn't been a traditional first lady. >> laura: what's wrong with that? what happened to being with your own person. >> many americans come people feel sorry for her. we feel sorry for her because of her husband. i mean, she's going to start her anti-bullying campaign and seems like she's married to one of the
7:47 pm
biggest bullies in the country. she is against cyberbullying and she is with a cyber bully. she was put down by jimmy kimmel and her husband mocks people like jimmy kimmel. >> laura: cafe, i think that's really condescending. i really like you. i think you're really fun. why is it condescending? let me finish. this drives me crazy about the way people treat melania. she has made her own choice. she made her choice. she married donald trump. i presume she loves her husband. and yet the women who claim to be. how choice and women should do what they want him any kind of arrangement for their marriages are good for them. it's all about free choice. but when a conservative woman makes a choice, you trash her or you say we feel sorry for her. by the way, melania also responded to the cyberbullying that she got over her cyberbullying initiative. let's listen. >> i have been criticized for my
7:48 pm
commitment to tackling this issue, and i know that will continue. but it will not stop me from doing what i know is right. >> laura: rachel. >> she is sitting by her husband, these women coming up. stormy daniels. we all feel horrible to be in her shoes, to be married to someone like this. we feel bad for her. many of us feel bad for her. >> kathy, i think you're being disingenuous. >> laura: it is condescending and demeaning. i feel sorry. if you said that about hillary clinton, the feminists would be going crazy. they would be saying how dare you. that's her choice. the line between the couple and themselves. it's about themselves. for you it's a political statement. rachel, really quick. >> that's exactly right. kathy's being disingenuous. she knows exactly what happening. all of us over brain know exactly was happening.
7:49 pm
the fashion industry, hollywood, mainstream media. they all consider melania and ivanka complicit in the election of donald trump and that that's what this is about. >> laura: politics pure and simple. his politics and they don't like it.
7:50 pm
7:51 pm
7:52 pm
>> laura: in 2015 this state of california passed the california healthy youth act. it's a law aimed at promoting healthy attitudes for teens about body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family. well, now the law is taking effect and now we are seeing mandated ed classes that deal with abortion and transgender issues and approve teaching materials that include suggestions about lubricants and sex toys. in orange county, parents can't opt out for their kids. joining me for reaction is victor davis hanson, senior fellow at the hoover institution. victor, we have this in another subject we have to hit fast. what about this? the guy from the
7:53 pm
general counsel, orange county board of education says parents who disagree with the instructional materials related to gender, identity, expression may not excuse their children from this instruction. that's not how the law was supposed to be written. >> we are in california. in california, do what you want to make the law fit what your activities. if you're going to walk out if it i noticed about guns, it's political. they are not going to teach students about which particular type of activity encourage greater risk. the legislature passed a bill saying if you knowingly pass aids to a person who does not have it, it's no longer a felonious behavior. if they really wanted to address it, they could've done things. it's a political agenda for a particular lgbt group. i understand that. we have politics in california and we call them laws. but they are really politics. >> laura: what happens to christians, muslims, public schools. it's just not their thing. it's now up their families teach
7:54 pm
and parental rights are clearly being subverted. you can opt out. if people want to teach their kids all that, that's fine. do it in your home. teaching sex education should be biological. this is how babies are made. now it seems like a sabbatical agenda. speak i have three kids. i've raised three children in public school's and company. we had to reteach them education because not only wasn't biased in terms of religion but it was not factually correct. they would not tell people all the types of intimate details you would need to protect yourself because it butted against certain types of political agendas. it wasn't even -- it wasn't biased against religious committees but it was biologically inexact. >> laura: victor, we have to get into this lovely fresno state professor who tweeted a horrifically nasty thing about barbara bush after she passed away. barbara bush, you can see it.
7:55 pm
i don't even want to read it. called her a racist basically, war criminal, racist war criminal. understated, as usual, for the left. she's not can be fired by the school. no penalty, no punishment at al all. because i guess she had tenure. what if she had said this about a member of protected communities. >> i taught at that institution. it's a fine institution. i'm very loyal to it for 21 years but there's two types of speech that are protected. politically correct and politically incorrect. she said something about obama or if she had said something about a racial or minority group, she would be fired probably. more importantly, she told people to jam a hotline about suicide and that seems to be that that was bordering on semi criminal activity. she has other tweets they didn't really get in the news. people in the university know about it. she almost advocates violence against white people and particular racial groups.
7:56 pm
it's not just free-speech that was her personal choice but she says things that are bordering on advocating violence and trying to disrupt a public service. i think they could've been tougher. >> laura: one of the things she said, the psa. either you or against these pieces of blank and their genocidal ways or you are part of the problem. victor, nothing seems to shock me anymore about the lovely golden state. i love california. >> the lunatics run the asylum. >> laura: victor davis hanson. we will see you soon. thanks so much. will be right back to close it out. parting thoughts. don't go away. e medicine help treat both blood sugar and cardiovascular risk? i asked my doctor. he told me about non-insulin victoza®. victoza® is not only proven to lower a1c and blood sugar, but for people with type 2 diabetes
7:57 pm
treating their cardiovascular disease, victoza® is also approved to lower the risk of major cv events such as heart attack, stroke, or death. and while not for weight loss, victoza® may help you lose some weight. (announcer) victoza® is not for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza® or any of its ingredients. stop taking victoza® and get medical help right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck or symptoms of a serious allergic reaction such as rash, swelling, difficulty breathing, or swallowing. serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. so stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area. tell your doctor your medical history. gallbladder problems have happened in some people. tell your doctor right away if you get symptoms. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. common side effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, indigestion, and constipation. side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems.
7:58 pm
change the course of your treatment. ask your doctor about victoza®. >> laura: before we go, let's take a look at a few interesting tweets that came my way about tonight's show. a tweet from joel. "immigrants on the border, i think you made a great point. if the immigrants refused or don't accept asylum from mexico, it could be successfully argued that asylum is sent their real
7:59 pm
reason to immigrate to the united states. it's an economic reason." ding, ding, ding. tweet from lisa. now that is funny. trump has to be oscar, right? i don't know. i think he's felix. kind of looked like felix. remember to tweet me. that's all the time we have. shannon bream is up next. >> shannon: who's the messy one? that's me. >> laura: well, tron probably. i shouldn't say that. now i'm in real trouble. >> shannon: i will embrace the messy. laura, thank you very much. hello and welcome to "fox news @ night." i'm shannon bream in washington. we will soon get the results for the arizona special election for house seat in congress. the latest test of the trump revolution. also, white house communications senior advisor mercedes schlapp is here tonight as the administration seems to be ready to fight for dr. ronnie jackson's bid to become the v.a. secretary. senators james lankford and jeanne shaheen trying to free an
8:00 pm
american pastor in turkey.

79 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on