Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  May 4, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
from washington, tune into "fox news sunday," chris wallace's guest will include joe defendant jaw and white house special counsel lanny davis, and the service committee max committee mac thornberry, the story with martha maccallum starts right now. >> martha: thank you very much, john, breaking tonight, the primary election in west virginia, now just days away. and this race gets uglier this evening. senate majority leader mitch mcconnell clashing with coal country, don blankenship who has vowed to continue his racially charged attack on "cocaine mitch and his china family." it all began with this? >> one of my goals as u.s. senator will be to ditch cocaine mitch. >> martha: asking him to back that up, for politicians it is a cruel moniker. >> cocaine on a family owned
4:01 pm
chip should be not of interest, because cocaine deaths keep going up, and even though that chip happened at the end of the year, we still need to be aware of it the cocaine and other drugs moving on the high seas on commercial ships. if nothing else it to make us aware that we need to be careful when these commercial ships are talking. >> martha: not backing down, tonight he is doubling down with her this new ad. watch this? >> captain mitch mcconnell has created millions of jobs for china people, doing so, mitch has gotten rich. at the china family has given him tens of millions of dollars. i will meet joe manchin and ditch cocaine mitch for the sake of the kids. >> martha: leader mcconnell says this about the whole thing. >> well, my father-in-law is an american who lives in new york, works in new york, and i don't
4:02 pm
have any comments about ridiculous observations like that. >> martha: so the blankenship campaign try to back up their facts, but fell flat after a fact-check from "the washington post" which found this, four immersed group, the company elaine child's father owns is not a chinese company it is an american company linked in new york. no evidence that mcconnell's father-in-law had "given mitch and his wife millions of dollars over the years." neither the nation who reported the story nor the colombian navy ever reported that the cocaine that was found on that ship was worth $7 million or that anyone knew who stash the relatively small amount on the ship and no charges were ever filed. here now tammy bruce, columnist at the washington "the washing" karl rove, form 80 former chief of staff, fox news contributor's and welcome to both of you. we know that politics can get pretty nasty, but it appears
4:03 pm
that mr. blankenship has decided that this is a good plan. a good strategy for him. >> i hope that he is proved wrong, because the people of west virginia are sensible, solid, down-to-earth americans, for a guy to go out there, think about this, he went to jail because he ran a company where he was and charged in charge, flouting 29 miners that died under his responsibly. he does not live in the same state, lives in las vegas. and he is going out there in a desperate attempt to win. he has these outrageous charges that mitch is -- his wife is a china man, and tens of millions of dollars, this guy does not understand the political reality of the world. the child family was originally from taiwan, which broke away from communist china in 1949, and they are american citizens thats and create jobs in america. so let's pick a clear, he is a
4:04 pm
bigot, a moron, if he wins the republican nomination, kiss our chances go by appointing west virginia. >> martha: tammy? >> i think that this is an extraordinary, i am no fan of mitch mcconnell, but this guy is making me want to defend mitch mcconnell, because it is so absurd. look, this is an extraordinary situation, he represents why americans do not trust politicians pretty clearly seems to be trying to look at his own reputation back or, here's what you have, you have a man who is running on racism and bigotry, no idea, no policy idea, character assassination, maybe he is running, should be running as a democrat at this point. he is attaching himself to donald trump, donald trump and donald trump jr. has rejected him, do not vote for this guy, the president in april had an event where the two other republicans running were there and supported him and supported both of them. but this is about to voters of
4:05 pm
west virginia, the republicans. it is an insult in the way that he is approaching them. we have so much to do and to allow this kind of, it is almost like a parody, that add to, and it is heartbreaking, because we have so much to do. and this is a guy who i think it's not just trying to smear mitch mcconnell, but trying to smear the entire conservative movement in the process. >> martha: it is interesting that ad that almost looks like a parody, it does, sort of an onion ad or something, because it is almost as if they said, these are the buzzwords that we want you to use, we want you to say china family, what a bizarre expression that that is. this is what is going to work. but when you look at this, there is this mountaintop family packed which associates of leader mcconnell are involved with, they do not want him to win because as mitch mcconnell often says, he wants candidates that they think and win. so they are back in morrisey and
4:06 pm
others evan jenkins, but the fear of republicans is that this is going to look like a sharon angle race or what happened with roy moore, you obviously are very connected with the campaigns in the republican party, do you think, are you nervous about what is going to happen on tuesday night? >> yes, i am, two points, with full disclosure, this week i've known evan jenkins for a while, i did a fund-raiser for him and his first race for congress where he defeated and the most democratic congressional district in west virginia and 19 term incumbent, he is a doctor, he served at the state legislator, a democratic change party when he was in the legislator. so i want full disclosure, i am for him. and i contributed because i am afraid of blankenship winning. jenkins in the fox news poll a week ago thursday had 25. patrick morrissey had 21, blankenship had 16, but there
4:07 pm
are 38% undecided, and this week since this poll came out of the field, blankenship has put $1.2 million of his own money into the race in addition, a democratic super packed headed by the former u.s. attorney who prosecuted him and sent him to jail has spent several million dollars attacking not don blankenship, but evan jenkins and patrick morrissey, because they fear jenkins and perhaps patrick morrissey, but jenkins can beat manchin in the fall, now he is spending money to put himself in the lead. >> the other is a split, they can split the vote giving blankenship this win, but then it comes down to g.o.p. leadership. why are we in this position? this is what a lot of people are asking. we know what we have to accomplish. there has to be some kind of coalescing in making this not happen in this fashion, and this is why we look funny at the g.o.p. establishment that once
4:08 pm
again they should be something that should be a fighting fight by a strong republican end against manchin could win. we are not even there. that's why we have some questions about the g.o.p. >> i could not agree with you more, that's why i personally stepped up and contributed to the jenkins campaign, because i felt that he was the best candidate, but you know, i'm not a west virginian, but i believe that west virginia is a great opportunity for us. if you look at the virginian ballot, the generic republican's 14 points ahead. if you look at the polling of blankenship, he is behind manchin badly, because he is a crook. he went to jail, he lives -- he wants himself tried to get citizenship inquiring about moving to china to become a chinese citizen. >> martha: 's fiance is of chinese background, her she was born there. and mr. blankenship said he might move to asia, he said i'm considering moving to china, i
4:09 pm
could get citizenship in india, but i would rather be in china. >> what we have is when it comes to west virginia, he has done a year in jail on the issue of dealing with dealing properly. >> martha: claims that he was innocent, by the way. >> they always do. >> martha: they always do. >> 29 west virginians who are dead, and he seems to be a character, but it's people's lives remain at stake and there has to be some kind of coalescing here to make sure that we are in a good position in the midterm. this guy is a sideshow. and it is an insult to the people, all of these races are local, but we all have an interest in what stateside west virginians do. >> martha: this point is well taken for republicans who listen to all of this, because the other two guys on the stage, jenkins who you are backing and patrick morrissey kept attacking and attacking each other and people after the debate i think that they felt like blankenship
4:10 pm
had done a pretty good job. and i guarantee you that he got another look from a lot of people after that. >> you are darned if you do and darned if you don't, because the idea of coalescing behind a winnable candidate, we saw that in alabama where the republicans try to coalesce behind the sitting u.s. senator, and that got a lot of kerfuffle because there were two other competitors and we ended up with the one guy who could lose the race and data. if we do not get behind the right candidate, the one could lose. and it is not just the incident where 29 human beings lost their lives because this company violated federal mind taking standards, the company that he had it in the company that he ran into the ground at the worst mine safety records of any coal operator when he was the ceo of it. and remember, you pointed this out during the debate, he dumped a bunch of coal slurry into the watershed of his neighbors after he got a line of run into his house so that he could have fresh water while those people had to go get water in jugs and
4:11 pm
cans in order to bathe and drin drink. >> martha: west virginia is in last place when it comes to the economy, first place when it comes to opioid use and death, and they need some very strong leadership. and i have an election on tuesday night, we will cover it live here that evening. it's going to be very interesting to watch the outcome, tammy, thank you for being here. >> thank you for having us. >> martha: the incredible story of the mastermind who hacked his way to millions. by rigging the lottery system across this country. hear how he pulled this off, straight from the man who finally nailed him. plus robert mueller special counsel suffers a major blow today thanks to a federal judge's scathing tongue lashing. this was not expected in this fairly routine court appearance today. what this potentially major roadblock could mean for president trump and what he calls the witch hunt. >> they have a headline, just in
4:12 pm
that poor taste say that mueller's aim is to hurt them. this is called a witch hunt. ♪ you wouldn't accept an incomplete job from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase relieves your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. flonase. 3 toddlers won't stop him.. and neither will lower back pain. because at a dr. scholl's kiosk he got a recommendation for our custom fit orthotic to relieve his foot, knee, or lower back pain, from being on his feet. dr. scholl's. born to move. you totanobody's hurt, new car. but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do? drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had liberty mutual new car replacement™,
4:13 pm
you'd get your whole car back. i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, we'll replace the full value of your car. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
4:14 pm
4:15 pm
>> martha: breaking tonight a
4:16 pm
fascinating showdown between robert mueller's lawyers in an exasperated judge in court today. paul manafort was in court trying to get that judged her throughout the case against him and turn into a heated hearing. judge ts ellis did not rule on this but essentially told team mueller the scope of your investigation is trying to loop in some old evidence from this earlier case that was 90 when their work. their investigative work. in the judge indicated that he is not inclined to allow them to do that. if this is when you really want to camera in the courtroom, but the picture will tell you what happened. alice basically unloaded on the attorney saying that "to you do not really care about mr. manafort's bank fraud, only being secured for trump's prosecution or impeachment, that is what you are really interested in." he also slammed to the special counsel's overreach in this case in general. he told him, "no one has unfettered power." he ended with an nfl's punctuation come on, man.
4:17 pm
all to the delight of president trump who read some of the tongue lashing during his nra convention speech today. >> watch this. >> none of this information has to do with information to the russian government towards the nations and the campaign of donald trump. how does this have anything to do with the campaign? let me tell you, folks, we are all fighting battles, but i love fighting these battles. it is really a great thing. >> martha: a happy warrior today, chief examiner correspondent and fox news contributor, great to have you here tonight. >> hi, martha. >> martha: was at a game changer in the courtroom? what is your take away from what happened? >> i think the president is going to add that come on man to the future telling of the story. this is the first time that we have any indication that a judge is upset with anything that the
4:18 pm
mueller investigation is doing with its size, scope, what it is doing. paul manafort has been trying to make the case for months, because he said the special counsel has been assigned a task of looking for any coordination between russia and the trump campaign. and of paul manafort laundered money in ukraine in 2006, that is not part of that. and it is unrelated to that, as a matter fact, the mueller argument that it was the justice department investigated dad two years ago decided not to do anything about it, and the case was essentially sitting on the shelf and mueller took it off. which means that he cannot say that it arose from this russian investigation. so manafort's people are pretty happy tonight. >> martha: what is fascinating is that this judge was playing an oversight role, and rod rosenstein is supposed to be playing the oversight role in terms of what the scope and their parameters are. he is supposed to be the person who would reach out to special
4:19 pm
counsel and his attorneys and say, look, i do not think that this fits in with what we designated your purview here. but that does not ever seem to happen. in fact this judge said that he wanted to see the scope document, and when he has been asked in the past, comes with rejections, why would that be something that a judge would not be able to look at? >> this has all been supersecret, we know that when rod rosenstein appointed robert mueller in may, 17 for the last year, he said what i mentioned that he was going to investigate the coordination between the russians and trump or anything that might arise. >> martha: that is the important phrase. anything that might arise from that. >> but after manafort challenged it, the mueller investigation came back inside, wait a minute, that was really just for show. in august of 2017 rod rosenstein gave us a much more detailed charge. he told us what we were looking
4:20 pm
into. and we are going to release a couple of paragraphs of that. we are going to black the rest of it out, but to let you see that what we are doing has been approved. but the bottom line is that nobody in the public knows what mueller has been authorized to do. the judge wanted him to find out and finally ordered mueller to show him that document in unredacted form, could be done under seal of the private and they do not have to give it to paul manafort, as a matter of fact, but the judge wants to see what mueller has the authority to do. >> martha: it seems to me that that should be something that everybody should be able to see. to the special counsel that was appointed by the united states government paid for by the taxpayers across the country, they are working on our taxpayer dollars and they should be able to tell us that this is exactly what the scope of the investigation is. it is a head-scratcher. i want to ask you about the piece that you put out today with regard to michael flynn. because james comey has told a couple of different stories in
4:21 pm
the promoting of his book about whether or not when his agent spoke to michael flynn, the former national security director that he either lied to them or that he did not appear to have lied to them. that they did not see any deception. so what we now know about what they said after they interviewed michael flynn? >> a little bit of background, i wrote a story a few months ago saying that in march 2017 when comey briefed the house of representatives about michael flynn, he said, the fbi agents did not think that he lied. into that is what sources have told me that comey told the house. so comey out on his book tour and he has been asked by a number of people including bret baier, okay, did you tell the house at the fbi agents did not think flynn had lied? he said, absolutely not, maybe somebody at misunderstood me. so the house has released an unredacted part of its report,
4:22 pm
which deals with that. and they say that james comey, they quote him saying that the agent saw no physical indication of lying and did not think that michael flynn was trying to deceive them, any demeanor of his tone, and andrew mccabe, the deputy of the fbi said that the agents did not think michael flynn was lying, which was not a particularly great start for a false statement investigation. so the house is kind of struck back and said, look, this is what you, mr. comey and mccabe said about the michael flynn question. >> martha: it raises the question what happens now? everybody wonders why michael flynn has not been sentenced and he is cooperating, do you have any comments or updates from your reporting? >> when you have a person who has pleaded guilty in a case that is still going on, it is not unusual for these things to be delayed sometimes over and over and over again. while the other parts of the case are still being investigated. but there is no doubt that i
4:23 pm
think flynn supporters would say, wow, what are you really have pled guilty if he had known that the fbi agents did not think that he was lying and that the top fbi officials had told congress that. but the fact is that he did at the end of november of last year pleaded guilty to one account of lying to the fbi that surprised those lawmakers who had told him talk a few months earlier. >> martha: thank you so much, great piece, thank you for being here. still ahead tonight, the treatment of nfl cheerleaders. new allegations about the washington redskins and things that the cheerleaders were reportedly forced to do. plus eddie tipton ran the lottery scam of a lifetime. racking up $25 million in winning tickets. until he ran into this guy. how the perfect crime of a dollar and a dream went bad. >> we, the jury, find the
4:24 pm
defendant edward tipton guilty of fraud as alleged in account one. ♪ that seems fair. we didn't use it. wish we got money back on gym memberships. get money back hilarious. with claim-free rewards. switching to allstate is worth it. with dell small businessout your technology advisors you get the one-on-one partnership you need to grow your business. the dell vostro 15 laptop. contact a dell advisor today.
4:25 pm
no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here. i'm all-business when i, travel... even when i travel... for leisure. so i go national, where i can choose any available upgrade in the aisle - without starting any conversations- -or paying any upcharges. what can i say?
4:26 pm
control suits me. go national. go like a pro. if yor crohn's symptoms are holding you back, and your current treatment hasn't worked well enough, it may be time for a change. ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works at the site of inflammation in the gi tract
4:27 pm
and is clinically proven to help many patients achieve both symptom relief and remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. pml, a rare, serious, potentially fatal brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. this condition has not been reported with entyvio. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections or have flu-like symptoms or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's treatment isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. >> martha: just a short time ago, this is a stunning reversal. the connecticut supreme court is
4:28 pm
now vacating the decade old murder conviction of michael stay cold, he is a rent relative of the kennedy family. he is ordering a new trial in connection with the 1975 killing of young martha moxley in their wealthy greenwich neighborhood. ed henry, chief national correspondent joins us now with the back story tonight. >> it is really the case that will not end, reinstating the kennedy cousin's murder conviction in that 1975 case. the ruling that a new trial has to be held for kennedy cousin michael, he had been convicted of bludgeoning her to death with a golf club 40 years ago in connecticut when they were both teenagers. skakel is the nephew of robert f. kennedy. robert f. kennedy jr. taken this up as a cause, the police messed up the investigation period in 2002 he was handed a prison term of 20-life and was released on bail after a lower court
4:29 pm
decision in 2013 to over turn that conviction and then in 2016 reinstated when the same state supreme court ruled that there had to be a new trial period what is new is that that same high court by a 4-3 three decisn has overturned the previous ruling and now rules that his trial attorney did not show the court evidence of a possible alibi. justice richard palmer writing for the majority saying that basically he had faced biased, his attorney had not gotten alibi testimony from dennis osorio. writing without his testimony, the state was able to attack the petitioners alibi, that being skakel, the complete alibi for the time period where it is highly likely that the victim was murdered. as part of a skakel family conspiracy to cover up the petitioner's involvement in the murder. several other suspects, the brother tommy, and a live-in tutor could have committed the murder while skakel was watching
4:30 pm
monty python, now prosecutors have to decide if they want to try it again. basically the high court is saying it should be tried again. the prosecutor say after all of this time that they do not want to go through this yet again. they have a decision to make. >> martha: you look at all of the people who were involved, somebody knows. the neighbors, the friends, people have a million theories on what happened. many people have believed that michael skakel did it, but it is chilling, because you know that somebody knows what happened to her in her garage. >> they still not have gotten justice or any sense of closure. >> martha: thank you for the update, more of that on monday. good to see you. so tonight we are getting incredible in-depth look at the story behind the biggest lottery scam in u.s. history, worth $25 million paid how a little-known man from rural, iowa managed to crack the system and rig the game in five different states. he found a way to pick the winning numbers before they were even picked up by the computer
4:31 pm
if you can believe this. and now we know how. the answer lies in this grainy surveillance tape that was taken from a quick trip gas station off of interstate 80 in iowa. raising a lot of eyebrows in 2010 when the man you see wearing the hoodie and hiding his face comes in and purchases a ticket that would be worth $16 million. but when it came time to claim the prize, he never showed up. his lawyer did. just two hours before the deadline. demanding that they wired the money to a bank in belize. something did not smell right, so that tipped the fbi in a position to put this prosecutor rob stands on this case, finding some similar similarities in winning tickets the same year, may 27th, november 23rd, december 29th, all sold on those days happen to be purchased by friends and acquaintances of one man put his name was eddie tipton and he happened to be a top i.t. worker at the agency that coordinates the lotteries
4:32 pm
between the states. rob sand, the man who cracked the case joins me now. good to see you tonight. this is quite a story. for people who are not computer hackers, explain in layman's terms, how did he do this? >> essentially he had the job of writing code to pick the winning numbers. and what he did was he added just a couple of lines of code that would enable him on certain days of the year to actually use a formula to know what the numbers would be rather than having to pick from one in millions, he would be able to narrow it down substantially. >> martha: it is incredible, so you thought this case was tossed onto your desk as a young prosecutor, you look at the video and you start piecing things together, how did you begin to crack the case? >> we had a great team to work with. a special agents in the iowa division of criminal investigation at anderson and don smith were helpful.
4:33 pm
terry rich and robbie porter at the iowa lottery were incredibly helpful, and reporters in wisconsin as well. we unraveled this thread piece by piece over the course of a few years. we just had the iowa ticket at first and had to go to trial knowing only about that ticket without a lot of the evidence that we would have preferred to have at the time. yet we were able to win that case, secure a couple of guilty verdicts and at that point we had a tip from someone in texas who told us that eddie tipton's brother had won the lottery in colorado about ten years earlier. we went to going from there for each successive ticket. >> martha: you knew after the first case when you got the hint that there was probably more, that if he had done it or pulled it off the one time, and it is interesting when you talk about all of the people that he worked with at the lottery organization, they looked at the video and help to you guys find him, right? and they were shocked that this guy that they worked with could be pulling this off.
4:34 pm
>> yes, it is an incredible story. people said things like, it was like finding out that my mother was an ax murderer, was the quote from one of his best friends who had worked side-by-side with him for over a decade. people were very blindsided by the idea that he could do this, but he was someone who had the opportunity to do it and the know-how to do it and the motivation to do it. >> martha: have they fixed this? if anything today people are even more sophisticated at being able to hack into systems, so how do you know this is not happening again? >> i think fundamentally what it comes down to is there is darkness in the world and there is always going to be people who are going to try to hack the system. we should always be trying to make systems better and make them more effective, but at the same time we have to have a good law enforcement system to back it up. as they say, you build a better mousetrap, somebody builds a better mouse. >> martha: very true. this is an amazing story. good for you for pulling this off.
4:35 pm
you think he is going to get out early? >> well, and i while we have made determinate sentencing, so up to 25 years, but he would get a good time credit of about half of that. he will probably get out earlier than that he had to. >> martha: it's like "catch me if you can. good to see you tonight. >> thank you very much, martha. >> martha: coming up, former new orleans saints cheerleader billy davis was fired after she posted this instagram photo. she filed a lawsuit, but she later said that she was willing to settle that dispute for a dollar and a meeting with that man. commissioner roger goodell. she and her lawyer gave the nfl until today to respond. so what happened? find out how that story ends when bailey davis and attorney sarah blackwell joined me next. ♪ you have given them till may 4, what do you expect you are going to get?
4:36 pm
>> i'm hoping that i am very optimistic that they will at least contact us and give us a chance to speak to them. ♪ not having a good breakfast can make you feel like your day never started. get going with carnation breakfast essentials®. it has protein, plus 21 vitamins and minerals including calcium and vitamin d, to help your family be their best. carnation breakfast essentials®.
4:37 pm
to help your family be their best. this scientist doesn't believe in luck. she believes in research. it can take more than 10 years to develop a single medication. and only 1 in 10,000 ever make it to market. but what if ai could find connections faster. to help this researcher discover new treatments. that's why she's working with watson. it's a smart way to find new hope, which really can't wait. ♪ ♪
4:38 pm
i recommend my tempur-pedic to nigheverybody.ver. the most highly recommended bed in america. now ranked highest in customer satisfaction with mattresses by jd power. visit tempurpedic.com to find your exclusive retailer today.
4:39 pm
♪♪ better than all the rest ♪ better than anyone ♪ anyone i've ever met ♪ i'm stuck on your heart, the best just got bigger. ♪ i hang on every word you say applebee's new bigger bolder grill combos. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
4:40 pm
♪ >> martha: growing questions about the working environment for cheerleaders in the nfl following an explosive report in "the new york times" page detailing the accounts of washington redskins cheerleaders who say during a game trip to costa rica for a calendar photo shoot today were required to be topless as male sponsors and sweet owners looked on and later somewhere allegedly told to be
4:41 pm
personal escorts for the men at a nightclub. this is just the most recent in a string of cheering controversies for the league, last week we spoke to two former cheerleaders, bailey davis and kristen and where who filed suits, they would settle for $1 each and a good-faith meeting to discuss all of these issues with commissioner roger goodell. tonight the nfl has just responded to that request for more on that i am joined by former new orleans saints cheerleader billy davis and her attorney sara blackwell, welcome back to "the story." mr. with you, what did they tell you, what did they tell you to your request? >> stephen her, the attorney for the nfl sent a letter this afternoon, and i was so grateful to see it, and i am so grateful that he did this letter for us and it was basically that they are not going to settle and they are not going to agree to any of
4:42 pm
the terms, however they welcome any input, information, recommendations to better the cheerleading organization, and that they would facilitate a way for their personnel to have a meeting with me and my clients. >> martha: you asked for a four hour sit down with roger goodell, are you getting that? >> we are not getting a sit down, however the way that they have said is that they are not settling, they are giving us an opportunity to move forward towards coming up with ideas and ways to get rid of discrimination and harassment, but we do not have to sign our rights away. >> martha: one of your clients, bailey davis is with you, she posted a picture of herself and something that looks like a one-piece bathing suit and got in a lot of trouble, when you think about some of the pictures posted by nfl players it is a little bit shocking that that is a big deal. i know that you feel like that is not equal treatment, and then the other christian made a
4:43 pm
mistake of admitting she is a version that did not go over too well with the people who organize the cheerleaders either, and that is what she is suing over, but let me ask you, bailey about the report from the washington redskins cheerleaders, does any of that ring true, have you ever experienced anything like that? >> there have been many situations that we have been put in as a team or i felt uncomfortable and i cannot speak to the other girls, but we have talked about it. things that were weird, so i am completely horrified by what i heard from the redskins, but i am not surprised. >> martha: what experience that you can describe on tv that you have had? >> one instance on the calendar shoot where there was a fan that flew into cs and it was an older man and he brought his friends and had a yacht we had to wear cocktail dresses and be with his friends on the yacht, you know, there was alcohol involved, they were hugging on us, it was uncomfortable and there was no reason for that. there was an instance where we
4:44 pm
were left in canada and we had no saints personnel with us and we did not hear from them for a whole day. >> martha: i guess the question is, what kind of change are you looking for? because i have read that some of the women who worked as cheerleaders feel like if they say no to any of these events that they might lose their spot, do you feel that way? >> yes, we are told over and over that there are a million girls who would do your job for free, it's hard to control the manipulation that comes with the job, we say yes because we want to be cheerleaders. >> martha: what is your dream arrangement? if from this meeting something comes out of it that makes you feel like you can do your job and that you are being treated equally with the players, what would that look like? >> i want equal and fair rules that are free of discrimination. that is the first step into us being respected as athletes and not seen as objects and used as objects to entertain sponsors.
4:45 pm
>> what do you say to people who say you are wearing tiny outfits and dancing on the field, maybe you are getting what you signed up for, what you say up to that? >> you cannot blame our outfits for how we are treated or respected. women do not have to be modest to be respected. it's 2018, as far as the outfits, where the same outfits in college, high school, we have tight pants or when we compete at dance competitions, when we grow up in studios, we have two pieces. it looks like a swimsuit. so that is just dance attire, it is not seen as anything in college or high school or at a dance competition. >> martha: thank you very much. good to see you both. good luck to you. the journey began when this couple was on their trip to hawaii, but everything changed when her husband suddenly suffered a horrible setback. and the couple was forced to learn how to start over together from the very beginning.
4:46 pm
author of "beauty and the broken places" allison joins me next with the story you do not want to miss. ♪ in the colon, and may be signs of an imbalance of good bacteria. only phillips' colon health has this unique combination of probiotics. it helps replenish good bacteria. get four-in-one symptom defense. with tcalled audible.le app you can listen to the stories you love while doing the things you love, outside. binge better. audible. i'm the one clocking in... when you're clocking out. sensing your every move and automatically adjusting to help you stay effortlessly comfortable. i can also help with this. does your bed do that? oh... i don't actually talk. though i'm smart enough to. i'm the new sleep number 360 smart bed.
4:47 pm
let's meet at a sleep number store. pwell, esurance makes finding thatthe right coverage easy. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
4:48 pm
4:49 pm
>> martha: it was a slide to that my next guest will never
4:50 pm
forget. allison was 22 weeks pregnant and on her way to hawaii with her husband dave for a baby move. but things took a turn when dave looked at her asking if there was something wrong with his eye, at that moment she watched her husband lose consciousness at 35,000 feet in the air. he had suffered a stroke at just 30 years old. it has been three long years of recovery since, but today he is alive and well and writing an op-ed on foxnews.com. the most important thing i can do every day is to choose how best to live. joining me now is allison who chronicles their journey in the new book "beauty and the broken places" a memoir of love, faith, and resilience. welcome. it's great to have you here. you were a producer right here at fox news on one of my shows and i have followed your career as an author ever since you left. this is not a book that you ever intended to write. >> certainly not and not something that we ever intended
4:51 pm
to live through either. and i was a writer and i wrote for fiction books, and this was something that as i turned to writing as a way to deal and process on my own and sort of explain to my family what we had been through and to write letters to dave who could not make new memories. it became this much larger writing project and became something bigger. >> he had a highly unusual catastrophic event that happened in his brain, he was studying to be a surgeon, he was a resident, he had a big understanding of medical history and all of this, and tell me about one of the interesting things that i read in the reviews of your book is that you are brutally honest about how depressed you became. you had an infant daughter and a husband who needed you to take care of him. >> yes, and when dave woke up, his brain was less functional than that of a newborn paid one of the things that newborns do is they cry, they drink, he could do none of that. we had to go through the process
4:52 pm
of dave completely regrowing a brain and becoming a functional individual human again. while we were also going through that same process with our baby. >> martha: how did you do that? >> the writing saved me, it actually did. and he cannot make new memories, so every night when he would go to bed at 7:00 p.m., because he was so fatigued, i would write to him in the form of the dave and i had once known, and if he ever comes back i can tell him what he went through and what we went through together and i just sort of tried to keep this image alive of the man that he was so that we could fight together for him to come back into that version of himself. >> martha: it is amazing, and to your writing is crystal clear as it always has been, and all of your fiction work and i think that's what makes a memoir so riveting, because you are so honest. you were angry. >> one of the first things that
4:53 pm
a fellow brain injury caregiver said to me was welcome to the clubs of the bad things, i'm sorry it's a club that you never wanted entry into, but at some point every person joins it. and i'm sorry that you and david joined it this way at this age, but that is really what i have learned through the process through writing and speaking with readers is that our story is unique in the circumstances, but that it is a very universal thing. >> martha: in terms of what is happening now, you know, he is writing this op-ed, and you are having another baby. >> we are. quite frankly in the very beginning i thought when i did not know if he would survive, i thought at least we will have this one child together and a piece of him will continue i never in our wildest hopes and dreams thought that we would be able to have in addition to our family. it is really, dave said that we feel like we have a second chance. and to the life that we were planning on got completely derailed, but we are embracing the beauty and planning for the future. >> martha: good for you,
4:54 pm
because life throws curveballs and nobody ever wants them to happen, but you have dealt with it with grace, and you say that dave played a large part, how? >> i realized in the darkest lowest moments that i could say god is good, when everything was going well, and that was really just a matter of agreeing with the abundant evidence, it was when things were not good and when i was not in control and it was scary and i was angry and i'm sad that that was actually what faith was. it was a moment when there was no proof that things will be good again. and my family and our loved ones in dave's family, they were there in the moments when we were no longer standing on her own. and they were there to really pick us up. that was hugely important. >> martha: it happen when your dad was running for president. >> yes, so i called my parents in the middle of the night from the fargo icu, making this emergency medical landing and we did not know if he would survive, so both of our parents got on the first flight to say goodbye or just be there no matter what happened, and my dad
4:55 pm
was supposed to be in new hampshire, so he had to cancel and give some sort of reason as to why he was canceling, so then it was a larger story, but the rivals on the trail were reaching out, president bush sent us a hand written letter, and we felt like we had prayers from around the world. >> martha: you did, and they worked. he has also a brain that was allowed to read your narrative, which not everyone has. that is a miracle, that has allowed you guys to be where you are today. so we thank you so much, and congratulations on the book and i know that it is the most recent of many to come. >> thank you. >> martha: thank you for being here, allison. "quote of the night" is up next. . this is frank. sup! this is frank's favorite record.
4:56 pm
this is frank's dog. and this is frank's record shop. frank knowns northern soul, but how to set up a limited liability company... what's that mean? not so much. so he turned to his friends at legalzoom. yup! they hooked me up. we helped with his llc, contracts, and some other stuff that's part of running a business. so frank can focus on the beat. you hear that? this is frank's record shop. and this is where life meets legal. each unique piece comes to life in the same way...ands. a messy, sloppy, splattery way. but now she's found a way to keep her receipts tidy, even when nothing else is. brand vo: snap and sort your expenses with quickbooks and find, on average, $4,340 in tax savings. smarter business tools for the world's hardest workers. quickbooks. backing you. ♪
4:57 pm
directv now gives you more for your thing. your letting go thing. your sorry not sorry thing. your out with the old in with the new, onto bigger and better thing. get the live tv you love. no bulky hardware. no satellite. no annual contract. try directv now for $10/mo for 3 months. more for your thing. that's our thing. visit directvnow dot com
4:58 pm
on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. switch and you could save $782 on home and auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
4:59 pm
♪ with expedia you could book a flight, hotel, car and activity all in one place. ♪ >> martha: finally our "quote of the night" from margaret thatcher on this day in 197 it sworn in as the first female prime minister of the united kingdom. she once said, "any woman who understands the problems of running a home, will be nearer to understanding the problems
5:00 pm
of running a country." well said. we will be back here on monday night at 7:00. have a great weekend. tucker carlson is coming up next. ♪ >> tucker: well, good evening. welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." it's hard to remember now but robert mueller's special counsel investigation began as a probe into russian collusion. you will recall the story we were told then. foreign power influenced the outcome of our election. we have to figure out how exactly that happen and determine if any american citizens were involved in that plot. that is how the whole thing was sold to the rest of us. by the way, some republicans on capitol hill still seem to believe that's what it's about. nobody accused them of genius. but to the rest of us it's pretty obvious what is going on. and to make it clearer, robert mueller hired a new prosecutor the other day. once again, another hillary

52 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on