Skip to main content

tv   Tucker Carlson Tonight  FOX News  June 1, 2018 5:00pm-6:00pm PDT

5:00 pm
adventure or nothing. wasn't it quite an adventure for helen keller? we'll see you back here monday night at 7:00. have a great weekend, everybody. trevor carlson is up next. >> welcome. if you've been paying attention to the news recently, many of the big stories revolve around questions of race. increasingly in this country race is the headline. just this week roseanne barr and her show canceled on abc after tweeting an attack on valerie jarrett that many described as racist. starbucks, the coffee retailer, closed more than 8,000 retail stores in order to educate white employees about their unconscious racism. meanwhile a bar in portland, hosted a reparation hour, where nonwhite patrons bank for free.
5:01 pm
>> the gentrifiers of today are saying, oh, there's so many olive gardens i can go to, so i need to go back to the city, get my life in the city, but i need my hot yoga studio, my pottery studio, my stuff represented. if you intrude on that, i will then call the police. >> more and more it feels like racial division is the subtext of virtually everything in this country, even topics that seem unrelated to ethnicity suddenly are racially fraught. the effect is a deeply angry and divided nation, but also you may have noticed a terrified one. many americans are scared to say
5:02 pm
what they really think about just about anything. one false word and you could be denounced on twitter and lose your livelihood. it happens. we see it all the time. best is to smile and nod and hope the witch-hunt passes. how long do we have to live this way? how did we get here in the first place? joining us a lawyer who serves on the u.s. commission on civil rights, written a new thriller, called "second strike," which i can tell you firsthand is excellent. peter, thank you for joining us. >> my pleasure. >> there's something strange going on. even as the country becomes much more diverse, something we were promised would make the country more harmonious, the country seems more on edge about questions of race. what's going on? >> several things are going on, but the overriding thing is a political narrative to enhance an argument or one particular side, and has its genesis in two
5:03 pm
things. first is the political imperative of getting democrats elected chiefly, and so we have a lot of this division on the basis of race because there are no policy prescriptions anymore. if you listen very closely, you don't hear any workable policy prescriptions, or very few workable policy prescriptions, but what you hear a lot of it is identity politics. in 17 years, we haven't had more lucid conversations about race or identity. they've gotten increasingly sophomoric, opaque, driven by an ahistorical narrative that has little bearing that truly happened in the united states of america. look, the fact of the matter is that in my lifetime matters of race and discrimination has gotten demonstrably better, in ways that we could never have imagined. if you look at the interaction between individuals of various races today they've never been better. individuals of races.
5:04 pm
when you come to the interaction between groups, it's become hostile and toxic, and it's a function of trying to get certain groups to have an allegiance to a certain movement or certain party for political imperative. >> may i step in there and back up for a second to address something that you said that i never thought of. the conversation is increasingly general and less specific. so whereas 30 years ago people might say, in order to close the achievement gap in standard iced testing, we need to put more money into head start, for example. now the conversation is this group is bad, it has always been bad, it will never get better. why are we hearing fewer solutions than we used to hear? >> well, i think for a couple of reasons. one again is that political imperative, because solutions go against having a political advantage. i think it's also because there's a tendency on the part of some to shut down others, to cast others as the other.
5:05 pm
again, that's for political imperative. >> right. >> but you're afraid to say things that are demonstrably true. to give you one example, a couple of weeks ago we had a hearing at the u.s. commission on civil rights, all-day hearing, everybody in the world was there, the usual groups were there. it was a hearing on hate crimes because of the spike in hate crimes since trump has been elected. but facts are stubborn things. when you take a look at the data, and when i asked questions of this, after everyone made these grand pronouncements about how horrible and horrific the spike in hate crimes is, we had no hard evidence of such spike. the best data on this comes from the bureau of justice statistics. what it's shown for the last 30 years, there's been a decline in hate crimes. there's been a decline in all manner of discrimination for more than 30 years. yet we have greater sensitivity, heightened sensitivity, and you have to ask yourself this, why this is the case.
5:06 pm
i think to some extent it's because it helps the agenda of certain groups of certain parties, certain individuals. >> so you keep hearing that we need to have an honest conversation on race. i'm always for conversations, particularly for honest ones. i wonder after all these conversations if the country is becoming more divided. maybe that's evidence it's not working. do we need to talk less about race or more about race? does the conversation idea hold up to scrutiny? >> two things. tucker, i disagree we're having conversations. we always hear we need to have a conversation, but what we get is always harangues, coming from one side, and most decent people duck their heads and watch for incoming fire. they don't want to get caught in crossfire. you know if you go to colleges, law schools, almost any institution of higher learning, frankly k-12, there are only certain acceptable opinions they can have, and students are
5:07 pm
punished for this, and they know how to react in the context of a classroom debate ostensibly on race. there's only one acceptable opinion, and you're not allowed to offer other opinions. that doesn't further the conversation. one other point -- >> no. it doesn't help anybody. i can see why they try to shut you down, by the way, but i'm glad that you came. thank you very much, peter. >> thank you, tucker. >> as we just told you, starbucks closed its retail stores this weekend in order to educate employees about racism. are starbucks employees racist because they're white? isn't that racism? aren't they supposed to be a coffee shop. a professor joins us now. thanks for coming on. we talk less about solutions, more in general terms. just to give you one example, if the person who run starbucks are upset about the racial climate in the country, fair to be upset
5:08 pm
about that, why do they have so few stores in black neighborhoods? in new york, on the upper east side, one on every corner. if they want to make things different, why don't they open up in black neighborhoods? wouldn't that do more than these conversations they're having? >> if you want to talk about that, even better than that would be employing more african american and latino baristas and managers. there's a better solution than placing them in the neighborhoods. in many cases that might lead to displacing mom and pop shops, coffee shops that are independently owned, particularly ones by african americans and latinos and asian americans. so i would agree with you there, there are also substantive things they can do, but this is absolutely a beginning. of course this was supposed to start a dialog, not supposed to
5:09 pm
solve the world's problem in four hours. >> it's clearly an example of something that i've noticed a lot of recently, which is collective blame, the idea that because you look a certain way, you're responsible for responsible for historical sins, you must have a certain attitude, which is racist by definition. if you're going to approach this question, why not do it with the preassumption that racism is a human problem, bias, hatred, human problems, not unique to one people, but all groups. that's not what starbucks is doing, right? >> that's not starbucks' experience. starbucks had had the arrest of those two gentlemen and other experiences of bias, and it seems like it's one-sided. they wanted to address that. >> no. wait a minute. >> no. hold on tucker. let me finish this one point. >> okay. >> they wanted to create a
5:10 pm
dialog between people of different backgrounds. it wasn't about blame. i think that's one of the things that's missing oftentimes when we have these discussions, tucker, people think that just because you want to have a dialog about race -- yes, history matters, all these things -- you know, i think we need to think of it way, we'll have an open exchange of ideas, and have an open dialog and -- >> no, no. that's false. what our kids are being taught, what starbucks is teaching, that certain groups are more prone to racism than others. that's a lie, as you know. all people are fundamentally the same, in that they're capable of great good and great bad, and racism is a great bad. no group has a monopoly on racism in this or any other country. right? >> tucker, here's what i would say, that i do think that groups have their biases, absolutely, but the difference is some groups have the power to enforce those biases and make things
5:11 pm
more difficult for others, discriminate against -- >> people don't always act as groups. hold on. that assumption is -- maybe i'm the liberal here, but groups don't act according to directive. like all white people, all black people, don't get a message from h.q. individuals act as individuals. like a lot, mostly, and people are capable, all people, regardless of color, of racism. that's not the message that starbucks is teaching, which again is in itself racist. >> tucker, when have two men been arrested in a starbucks for being white? if you can tell me that -- >> well, i don't know for being white. i don't know what that means. look, the point is that, yes, you've had a lot of antiblack racism, but that doesn't mean that everyone who's white shares a special burden of racism,
5:12 pm
because that assumption is itself racist. so to get beyond this morass you need to acknowledge that human sin is universal, and that people aren't responsible for the actions of people who happen to look like them, because that's collective punishment, collective guilt, and it's wrong, right? >> again, tucker, i think you have inferred more from this than i think starbucks is actually saying. >> oh, no, i haven't. come on, professor. let's not be disingenuous. i'm not inferring anything. i'm listening carefully to what i'm being told. >> okay. but there's antiblack racism. when we're addressing, sometimes that can come from anybody of any background. we're trying to address issues of antiblackness, anti-immigrant sentiment. we're trying to address that. we're trying to address that for all people. there are times, believe it or not, when african americans discriminate against other african americans based on the assumptions that they have.
5:13 pm
so addressing bias, trying to be antibias, we're not trying to save this is just white people. >> well, of course you are. that's exactly what you're saying. you know it. >> that's not -- >> that's exactly what you're saying. that's exactly what starbucks is saying. that's exactly what my kids' teachers are telling them every day. let's be honest. i guess we can't. professor, great to see you. >> absolutely. always great, tucker. thanks. >> how safe is air travel? it's not a question you'd think you'd have to ask yourself, but government documents obtained exclusively by this show suggest that the faa has dramatically lowered its standards in hiring for air traffic controllers. dramatically, in shocking ways. it shocked us. we do this for a living. we've got details ahead. coppertone sport. proven to protect street skaters and freestylers.
5:14 pm
stops up to 97% uv. lasts through heat. through sweat. coppertone. proven to protect. but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. what's in your wallet? ♪ now that i'm on my way
5:15 pm
♪ do you still think i'm crazy standing here today ♪ ♪ i couldn't make you love me applebee's 2 for $20, now with steak. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. before discovering nexium 24hr to treat her frequent heartburn, lucy could only imagine enjoying a slice of pizza. now it's as easy as pie. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? for all-day, all-night protection. paywell, esurance makes itnce you dsimple and affordable. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call. paying too much for insurance that isn't the right fit? well, esurance makes finding the right coverage easy. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
5:16 pm
5:17 pm
>> prosecutors in the u.s. attorney's office in washington, interviewed former fbi director james comey into an investigation in his former deputy andrew "andy" mccabe, accused of leaking information to the media a number of times. meanwhile the price tag on the mueller investigation is rising, up to $17 million in taxpayer funds. feel safer? a professor of constitutional law at george washington law school in washington joins us. thanks for coming on. >> thanks, tucker. >> so the andrew mccabe question, from our perspective, again not knowing all the facts,
5:18 pm
but it seems cut and dry. we know very well that it is a felony to lie to a federal agent, and that's one of the reasons that, well, that martha stewart went to prison, or general flynn pled guilty. so we have read accounts that he lied to investigators at the fbi. why wouldn't he be charged? >> well, i think that the expectation is that he will be charged. the problem facing mccabe is that the record that his own colleagues created. it was the inspector general's office that concluded he had lied. one of the key witnesses was james comey himself. in fact, mccabe's lawyer sort of went after comey for his recollection. so one of these individuals is not telling the truth, or recounting the facts correctly. it's going to be hard for them to walk this line, to pursue people like flynn, and say they're going to give a path to
5:19 pm
someone like mccabe. the $17 million is a huge amount, but the greater cost to the public is that we paid all that money, and we don't find out the truth. so we're not getting what we paid for. >> right. >> the test is going to be, both in the fbi investigation, and the mueller investigation, will we see the facts? because the prohibitive cost in all of this is lingering doubts. mccabe is a good example of that. if mccabe is not indicted, we know to know why. >> i'm starting to notice a standard here, where government officials get to lie, james clapper clearly lied, when he said there was no spying by the in sa, still on cable television, on twitter, selling a book. prominent interior designer, posing no threat to anyone, martha stewart, goes to federal prison. am i imagining this, or is there
5:20 pm
a double standard, and a troubling one? >> that's the trouble in washington, where we have an animal farm, where some people are equal, and some more equal than others. it goes long back, before the obama administration, to get justice officials, or high ranking officials, indicted or held accountable. they often get very light treatment. clapper is an example of that. when he was confronted with the fact that he had given false testimony, he said, well, that was the least untruthful thing i could have said. most people call that a lie, untruthful, you were in front of congress. a normal person wouldn't have that least untruthful option when trying to answer a question. >> i'm going to try that with the irs next me why they ask me why i haven't paid in full. just kidding. it's the irs. i pay in full. professor, thanks for that perspective. >> thanks, tucker. >> former secret service agent
5:21 pm
has followed this investigation from the beginning, all the tangents of it, and joins us now. a question that's arisen in the last 48 hours, with i think urgency, is when did the spying on the trump campaign begin and under what pretext? what do we know right now about that? >> tucker, we know the timeline and the origins story of how this started has changed multiple times. we were initially told it was the activities of carter page that started it. then when the carter page saga fell apart, then they shifted quickly to the george papadopoulos meeting with alexander downer in may. now that that's changing again, they're trying to go back to a 2015 story about british intelligence passing information that over here. lay that out, tucker, to make a single point to. the fbi is hiding what i call paragraph one. when i was a federal agent, when i had a credit card fraud case,
5:22 pm
when you write a report, tucker, what did paragraph one say? bank fraud investigator so-and-so called you on this day about a stolen credit card number, and the rest of the case is from there. the fbi refuses to tell people what paragraph one, and i think it's for a specific reason. >> what do you think the reason is? >> i was waiting for you to ask me that, tucker, but i don't want to keep talking. here's what i think the reason is. we're focusing on the information that was pulled out of the trump campaign, the spy we're not supposed to name, call him an informant, i don't care, i'm not getting into the euphemism came. >> it's the same thing. >> it's nonsense. okay? i'm glad you've been hammering people on this, because it's ridiculous. >> yeah. >> i focus on how he's interacting with the trump sphere, pulling questions out. the next shoe to drop, the one we've been on while researching this case, is how was the email information about the russian
5:23 pm
dirt pushed into the trump sphere, tucker. it was fed to papadopoulos by a maltese professor. he's disappeared. he was interviewed by the fbi in february. if is a russian collusion case, has the rosetta stone, the keys to the kingdom, knows the dirt, and fed it to a low-level guy like papadopoulos, then how come the fbi let him disappear after interviewing him in february? >> so, i mean, that's the key to the whole story. i mean, that's the genesis story of this investigation, of the mueller investigation, of all this russia stuff, which has gummed up the gears of government, all goes back to the maltese professor, i hate to say that, but it's true, and we don't know where he is, but why
5:24 pm
don't we know where he is? do you think it's possible this was a su setup from day one? >> i don't think it's possible anymore. if i was a betting man, i would bet my right thumb this was an entrapment operation. who set it up and why it's still an open question, it would be irresponsible for me to say, but there's a lot of evidence leading to suspicious characters. you just asked, you posed to your audience, the critical question, stop for a second focusing on the pull. who pushed the information into the trump sphere that was going to be pulled out later as evidence they were colluding with the russians? the answer is we know the guy. if he was interviewed by the fbi, let's get to the bottom of it. yet he's nowhere to be found. nobody knows, but the fbi interviewed him in february. amazing how that happened. >> the whole thing is unbelievable. the more you know -- i almost hesitate to learn more, because
5:25 pm
i want to sleep at night. dan, thank you for that. appreciate it. >> you got it. >> samantha bee is apologizing for blog posts what. that's next. liberty mutual stood with me when this guy got a flat tire in the middle of the night, so he got home safe. yeah, my dad says our insurance doesn't have that. what?! you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. with savings on the new sleep number 360 smart bed. it senses and automatically adjusts on both sides, for effortless comfort. don't miss the final days of our semi-annual sale! save up to $700 on sleep number 360 smart beds. ends sunday.
5:26 pm
wait what? directv gives you more for your thing. your... quitting cable and never looking back thing. directv is rated #1 in customer satisfaction over cable. switch to directv and now get a $100 reward card. more for your thing. that's our thing. call 1.800 directv. you always get the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed?m let's get someone to say it with a really low voice. carl? lowest price guaranteed.
5:27 pm
what about the world's lowest limbo stick? how low can you go? nice one, carl. hey i've got an idea. just say, badda book. badda boom. badda book. badda boom. nice. always the lowest price, guaranteed. book now at choicehotels.com ( ♪ ) face the world as a face to be reckoned with. only botox® cosmetic is fda approved to temporarily make moderate to severe frown lines, crow's feet and forehead lines look better. it's a quick 10 minute cosmetic treatment given by a doctor to reduce those lines. there is only one botox® cosmetic, ask for it by name. the effects of botox® cosmetic, may spread hours to weeks after injection, causing serious symptoms. alert your doctor right away as difficulty swallowing, speaking, breathing, eye problems, or muscle weakness can be a sign of a life-threatening condition. do not receive botox® cosmetic if you have a skin infection. side effects may include allergic reactions,
5:28 pm
injection site pain, headache, eyelid and eyebrow drooping and eyelid swelling. tell your doctor about your medical history, muscle or nerve conditions, and medications including botulinum toxins as these may increase the risk of serious side effects. leave your mark on the world. minimize its mark on you. get started at botoxcosmetic.com. that i served.mark on you. of the fact i was a c130 mechanic in the corps, so i'm not happy unless my hands are dirty. between running a business and four kids, we're busy. auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, life insurance policies. knowing that usaa will always have my back... that's just one less thing you have to worry about. i couldn't imagine going anywhere else. they're like a friend of the family. we are the cochran family, and we'll be usaa members for life. save by bundling usaa home and auto insurance. get a quote today. >> all week we've been telling you about the joy reed you never
5:29 pm
knew, the msnbc anchor once had very different views, newly revealed from excerpts from her now defunct blog, for instance, saying immigrants were taking american jobs, describing our friend lou dobbs as her ideological twin on immigration, and told democrats to spend less time attacking white people amazing, and also compared john mccain to the virginia tech shooter, spreading 9/11 conspiracy theories. in april she commented on those blog posts. >> i spent a lot of time trying to make sense of these posts. i hired cyber security experts to see if somebody manipulated my words or former blog, and they have not been able to prove it. here's what i know, i genuinely do not believe i wrote those hateful things. >> well, we assumed that reed would once again continue to blame these new set of opinions
5:30 pm
on a mysterious fake hacker, because he's done it before, but, no, this time she admitted the truth and said she's sorry. good for her. it's better not to lie so much. there's at least one outstanding question here, a question that hangs in the air. whatever happened to that fbi investigation that joy reed and msnbc news ordered up when they were still pretending the blog posts weren't real and maybe committed by vladimir putin? is that investigation still going? how much did it cost? is nbc going to pay back taxpayers? larry, this is a real question. by the way, again, i just want to say, good for joy reed for telling the truth. it's always good to tell the truth. >> a little late. >> they did order up this fbi investigation, and nbc stood behind it. are you allowed to do that in perpetuation of a hoax, which is what they did?
5:31 pm
>> last i checked, not so much. i checked with a couple of former department of justice officials, and they said that's a crime, making a knowing false report to the fbi, and then no one knows how much of our government resources have been spent on investigating a hoax. now that the fbi isn't spending so much time investigating political opponents of barack obama, one thinks they actually would like to chase down serious crimes and not just joy reed's fantasies to cover her own butt, by the way. let's be clear here. her lies, which were reinforced by her network, nbc, they were just to cover her up, make her look good, it was just to protect her job. apparently she didn't have to, because nbc will stand by her no matter what. >> yeah. by the way, i'm all for network standing by their anchors, i should just say, and i also think that most people are decent and forgiving. i think if you say, i'm sorry i said that, my views have changed, most people think that's okay.
5:32 pm
i certainly think that's okay. what's not okay is to waste our time, the resources of federal law enforcement perpetuating a lie. a lot of people do that, by the way, and never prosecuted. she won't be prosecuted. but shouldn't nbc have to repay that money? why do they get a pass on this? >> i would think so. listen, i understand, i'm all for radio networks forgiving their employees, while we're at it, let's have that on the record, but i do think nbc has to answer for a couple of things here. they were part of this, tucker, circulated this report from joy reid's cyber security expert that said she had been hacked. that damages their brand, because they're in the business of fact-checking everybody, and it's time for them to say this was bogus, it was wrong. there needs to be transparency there. whatever this ended up costing the federal government, nbc, comcast, universal, they should
5:33 pm
repay that money. >> well, i mean, they're liars. we know they're liars. they leaked the "access hollywood" type to "the washington post," they did it for political reasons, and never admitted that. >> they were going to do a thorough investigation into that, tucker. i remember that. >> yes. >> they made a lot of noise about that mor thorough investigation. >> still trying to find the real killer. thank you. >> you too. >> the boy scouts of america are no more. they're now scouts bsa. mike roe is an eagle scout. he joins us next to discuss the changes, what they mean for us. stay tuned.
5:34 pm
5:35 pm
5:36 pm
5:37 pm
>> after more than a century of teaching millions of american boys markmanship, wood crafts, patriotism, good citizenship, the boy scouts of america have decided to change completely,
5:38 pm
starting with their name. it's now the scouts, gender neutral. our guest hosts facebook's number one show, called "returning the favor." we spoke to him recently. thanks a lot for joining us. you were famously an eagle scout as a boy. the scouts are no longer the boy scouts but simply the scouts. what's your response to that? >> well, it's funny under ask, because no less than 10,000 people have asked me that very question over the last month. >> i bet. >> on my facebook page, distinguished eagle scout, if you're keeping score, five or six years ago i was awarded that. it was very touching. look, i'm watching what's happening carefully. i've sent 50,000 to 55,000 letters out over the last 10 years to other eagle scouts. i think the country needs the scouts. i think the country needs the future farmers of america and
5:39 pm
skills usa and 4-h, desperately, now more than ever. it concerns me to see all the confusion swirling around the organization, but like so many wounds i'm afraid so many of these are self-inflicted. i also think that some of the confusion going on is legitimate. i read their official statement. while girls are being welcomed in, i didn't read anything about integrated camping trips or troop meetings. i think it's a play to compete with the girl scouts. i understand when the girl scouts are upset, but since when is competition a bad thing? i think character development and leadership development have never been more important than they are today. so my hope is that the boy scouts assume the opportunity that's presenting itself, and become an antidote for the safe space environment that's out there, and push back a little
5:40 pm
bit. not to sound like the angry guy on your neighbor's porch yelling at the kids on the lawn, but when i was in the scouts, in '64 and '75, it wasn't a safe space in the basement of our church, you'd go home with a bloody nose or a black eye. we had a boxing ring. it was a vibrant place where you really could test yourself and fail in a way, that on the one handmade you safe enough to attempt, but, on the other hand, didn't try and check every box and please every single person. it's a tough time. you know, i'm sympathetic for the leaders, but i'm afraid you've got to draw the line and be clear what you stand for as well as against. >> so you don't see this as the end of something then? >> i don't know. i mean, again, you either evolve or you -- or you die. but at the same time i think people are confused because the scouts simply haven't come out
5:41 pm
and said categorically what they're for, right? so i just think this conversation touches on every single point right now going on in popular culture, from tolerance to acceptance, which, by the way, i'm not sure what the difference between those two things is anymore, but there used to be a big difference. people are struggling for their own identity. look, the last time i was on, we talked about the idea that everything is either being informed by a safe space culture or everything is being informed by people who want to be challenged. i think people are desperate to be challenged. my hope for these youth-based organizations that help preach character is that they look for people who want to be challenged, and not curry favor so much with those who want a nice reassuring pat on the head. >> yeah. that's how the episcopal church
5:42 pm
died. >> yeah. wow. >> great to see you. thank you for that. that was really smart. >> be prepared. anytime. >> well, we all know that diversity is our strength. is it also the key to being a good air traffic controller? the faa thinks so, and has changed the entrance requirements accordingly. you should know that. details next. how do you win at business? stay at laquinta. where we're changing with contemporary make-overs. then, use the ultimate power handshake, the upper hander with a double palm grab. who has the upper hand now? start winning today. book now at lq.com. a peaceful night sleep without only imagine... frequent heartburn waking him up. now that dream is a reality. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn?
5:43 pm
5:44 pm
5:45 pm
cliberal gavin newsom from knows becoming governor. they also know chicago lawyer john cox has thirteen losing campaigns under his belt... and cox supports bad ideas like a 23 percent sales tax! california police officers and police chiefs stand with antonio villaraigosa. as mayor, he worked with law enforcement, and cut violent crime in half. antonio for governor.
5:46 pm
>> it's hard to think of a tougher or more important job than being a air traffic controller. go ahead and try, it will take you a while. every day more than 2.5 million americans fly in or out of u.s. airports, along with many billions of dollars of cargo. at any one time there are 5,000
5:47 pm
aircraft above the united states. on 9/11, air traffic controllers guided every one of them to a safe landing in a little over an hour. go ahead and try that. it's a job where a small mistake could lead instantly to the deaths of hundreds of people. not surprisingly, the hiring standards for air traffic controllers were long among the most selective of all federal jobs. applicants typically needed to complete military service or pass the faa's collegiate training initiative program. after that they sat for a specially-designed exam that tested for math ability and complex problem-solving. only those with the highest scores made the cut. the system was designed to choose the best. for decades it worked. then during the obama administration, activist bureaucrats decided that the pool of air traffic controllers wasn't diverse enough. they never explained why diversity ought to matter in air traffic control, or why it was more than traditional goals like competence and public safety. the faa without a vote, just
5:48 pm
scrapped the old hiring system and replaced it with a diversity friendly version. most people have no idea this happened. the faa requires applicants to fill out a biographical questionnaire before another screening. those that answer the questions in a way that diversity monitors don't like will not go further, because the biographical questionnaire is all important. we got a copy of the questionnaire, how it's scored. it's shocking. for example, one question asked test-takers to name their worst grade in high school. the protester answer for that is science. in other words, if you can't do science, the faa is specially eager to hire you as an air traffic controller. you get 10 points for being bad at science, according to the scoring sheet. another question asked about work history. according to the faa, the best
5:49 pm
answer to that question is you haven't worked at all in the past three years. you get 10 points for not working. apparently unemployed people make the best air traffic controllers. this is demented, by the way, but it's real. so do applicants who played a lot of sports in high school. they're rewarded too. by contrast applicants who say they know a great deal about air traffic control get only five points. trained pilots get two points. once again, applicants who haven't worked at all, who have been unemployed for the past three years, get 10 points. pilots two points. this is insane. it's dangerous. it's also indefensible. we asked the faa's top spokesman why applicants for an air traffic control job would get more points for high school sports than flying planes or knowing a lot about air traffic control. his response, quote, i'm trying to find that out as well. well, not trying very hard it turns out. we still haven't heard back with a real explanation, and of course we won't because there
5:50 pm
isn't one, other than shut up, diversity. we won't shut up. this is too par. lives are at stake. joining is michael pearson, a lawyer representing a man suing the faa for its updated hiring practices. mr. pearson, thank you for coming on. >> thank you, tucker. good to be here. >> why would the faa award extra points for incompetence? science, for example? >> well, the biographical assessment was made to screen out people with experience. it wasn't meant in any form or function, that i can find -- and i've been looking at this for almost four years now, including looking over many documents we had to fight the faa for several years that they kept hidden -- to answer that question. the test was basically meant to screen out people with aviation experience. there's even worse questions and answers on the test, but you did a pretty good job of portraying some of the questions and
5:51 pm
answers on the test. >> i don't understand. just to restate for our audience, so numb to this kind of thinking that it may not penetrate. we're not talking about hiring a sociology professor. we're talking about air traffic controllers, with a linchpin of public safety and transportation. why would the faa want people with less relevant skills in air traffic control for air traffic controllers? >> because a group within the faa, including the human resources function within the faa, including the national black coalition of federal aviation employees, determined that the workforce was too white. they had a concerted effort through the department of transportation, the obama administration, to change that. and quite frankly, they're sacrificing, and have sacrificed safety at the 589er of political correctness. it offends the public conscious, but also federal law. we're exposing that. >> why would this go on for
5:52 pm
years without anybody in elected office saying anything about it? just once again -- i'm hard to shock, because i do this stuff for a living -- we are lowering the standards, and intentionally hiring people less competent for one of the most critical jobs in the federal government? why would no one in congress do anything to stop it? >> well, our law firm, along with mountain state's legal foundation, filed the initial lawsuit. then the group of schools got together, over 30 collegiate training institutional schools got together and went to congress. there have been members of congress that have held hearings on this. the problem is that the union controls a large pact that funds politicians, and nothing will get past without the blessing of the controllers union. their position radically changed when the obama administration
5:53 pm
came in. i'm not saying that lightly. i was an air traffic controller at four of the busiest facilities in the country for almost 27 years, along with being an attorney and professor. when i say these things, it's not only based on experience, but documentary evidence and proof i have. at the end of the day everyone flies, including members of congress, who fly quite often. i think the ones that heard the story were offended by it, because it's in their backyard. it's a safety interest for them. this is not a partisan issue, quite frankly, because, again, it's the safety of the national airspace at risk here. i can tell you from training well over a hundred, probably 300 controllers in my lifetime as an faa controller, that there is a difference. this is aiken to the veterans administration hiring doctors and trying to tell the public that the best physician is one that never went to medical school and that the va can train them better. that's exactly what's occurred here. to be very straightforward, the
5:54 pm
mainstream media has not covered this, and has covered up this issue, and has not revealed what's going on. it's a shame. it's not only shameful, it again sacrifices public safety. >> it goes without saying, people in the faa we spoke to, were such cowardly worms, i don't say that lightly, but they won't come on and defend this. a rhetorical question, did the obama administration ever show with data that somehow increased diversity? the ranks of air traffic controllers would make the public safer? >> absolutely not. there's data that shows it's a public farce, incorrect. there's no data to support that. this is social engineering at its finest at the sacrifice again of public safety. >> it's totally demented. we'll ride this until it's made right, because lives are at stake. we're not overstating it. you're the most knowledgeable person on this. >> happy to be here. thank you. >> thanks. insurance that won't replace
5:55 pm
the full value of your new car? you're better off throwing your money right into the harbor. i'm gonna regret that. with new car replacement, if your brand new car gets totaled, liberty mutual will pay the entire value plus depreciation. liberty stands with you. liberty mutual insurance. one picky customer shouldn't take all your time. need something printed? the business advisors at office depot can assist with exactly what your business needs to grow. get your coupon for 20% off services, technology and more at office depot and officedepot.com. technology and more with best in-class towing 2018 ford f-150. best in-class payload and best in-class torque the f-150 lineup has the capability to get big things to big places --bigtime. and things just got bigger. f-150 is now motor trend's 2018 truck of the year. this is the new 2018 ford f-150. it doesn't just raise the bar, pal. it is the bar.
5:56 pm
wait what? directv gives you more for your thing. your... quitting cable and never looking back thing. directv is rated #1 in customer satisfaction over cable. switch to directv and now get a $100 reward card. more for your thing. that's our thing. call 1.800 directv. you always get the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed?m let's get someone to say it with a really low voice. carl? lowest price guaranteed. what about the world's lowest limbo stick? how low can you go? nice one, carl. hey i've got an idea. just say, badda book. badda boom. badda book. badda boom. nice. always the lowest price, guaranteed. book now at choicehotels.com
5:57 pm
copd makes it hard to breathe. so to breathe better, i go with anoro. ♪ go your own way copd tries to say, "go this way." i say, "i'll go my own way, with anoro." ♪ go your own way once-daily anoro contains two medicines called bronchodilators that work together to significantly improve lung function all day and all night. anoro is not for asthma. it contains a type of medicine that increases risk of death in people with asthma.
5:58 pm
the risk is unknown in copd. anoro won't replace rescue inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than once a day. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition, high blood pressure, glaucoma, prostate, bladder, or urinary problems. these may worsen with anoro. call your doctor if you have worsened breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling, problems urinating, vision changes, or eye pain while taking anoro. ask your doctor about anoro. ♪ go your own way get your first prescription free at anoro.com. get your first proven to protect street skaters and freestylers. stops up to 97% uv. lasts through heat. through sweat. coppertone. proven to protect. but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. what's in your wallet?
5:59 pm
>> tucker: we started tonight's show with a segment about race. and it is uncomfortable and unresolvable one. and some of us would be great if we could talk about it less. our lead hers never stop. the media do it and the people in charge do it. it is bad and makes each other hate each other. and so why do they do it? it is a strategy. divide and conquer. it is easier to run the country for your own benefit if the country is detracted. and there is a new book. lessons learned from the show and segments we do on it. i hope you like it.
6:00 pm
that's it for us. the weekend is coming. and tune in every night. the show is a sworn fwlm of smugness. and dvr it. and have a great night and weekend, see you soon. >> sean: welcome to hannity. we have incredible and amazing news, buckle up tonight. the june 12th summit with north korea is officially back o. a huge development. the top deputy from the hermit kingdom hand delivered awe letter. and bad news for democrats, because the economy is booming. and the job numbers are breaking more

43 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on