Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  June 4, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
that is it for "special report. i'm shannon bream. "the story with martha maccallum" is up next. >> martha: thank you. bill clinton is back on the hot seat. >> with everything going on with the #metoo movement, how would you approach the accusations differently? >> oh, boy. 20 years later what does the bill clinton and monica lewinsky scandal look like now? a prominent supporter says he should have left office. but the former president became agitated and said no, he would do nothing differently. >> i don't think it would be an issue because people would know the facts instead of the imagined f. if the facts are the same today i wouldn't. >> martha: he went on to say that the #metoo movement is "long overdue." but the critics are using it against him he believes in part because of president
4:01 pm
trump. >> i think partly because they're frustrated they got all the serious allegations against the current occupant of the oval office and his voters don't seem to care. i think i did the right thing. i defended the constitution. >> martha: then it got heated. >> through the lens of #metoo now, do you think differently? to or feel more responsibility? >> no. i felt terrible then. nobody believes that i got out of that for free. i left the white house $16 million in debt. you are giving one side and omitting facts. >> mr. president, i'm not trying to present a side. >> you think president kennedy should have resigned? do you think president johnson should resign? someone should ask you the question because of way you formulate the question. >> martha: interesting questions on both side. we're joined by david bossi, former campaign manager and a fox news contributor who spent
4:02 pm
time as lead investigator on congressional probablies in the clinton white house. lanny davis, the former special counsel to president clinton who became well known for defending him in the lewinsky scandal and he is the author of the new bookthe unmaking of the president 2016." welcome. great to have you both with us tonight. you both have a lot of experience in this area. lanny, does president clinton need a new answer to that question now? >> i'm going to give one comment on this topic. president clinton apologized to the american people publicly. he apologized to miss lewinsky and her family pubk -- publicly and he apologizedded to his wife and family. by the time he left office the american's people judgment was 65% approval rating. the highest of any second term president since polls were
4:03 pm
invented. that is about all i want to say about that topic. >> martha: understood. david, let me get your response to this. it's also interesting to the part that hes i left the white house $16 million in debt. don trump junior tweeted about that today. he said, "did bill clinton just #metoo monica lewinsky? the first male to claim victim victimhood." david? >> he is the victim here. he is the victim as the president of the united states who used his position of power over a 20-year-old intern. he is the victim after all these years. it's ridiculous. bill clinton only, bill clinton only admitted the truth which was that he had an affair with monica lewinsky only because the special prosecutor got a subpoena to
4:04 pm
draw his blood to force him to admit that lefthysical evidence on a blue dress. that is how disgusting the facts were that we had to deal with in the '90s. >> martha: in terms of the broader investigation, at the time you fought very hard against independent counsel ken starr. you said he was out of control. that there wasn't a scintilla of evidence against bill clinton in the paula jones case and now others are concern and saying i lived through this and it is wrong and what is happening again. do you agree with mark penn? >> i have no idea what he said. he is a good friend of mine. >> martha: he has written five or six columns that says he thinks the investigation is out of control. >> i just said i have no idea what mark penn said. he is a good friend of mine. this investigation has been going on for one year. at one year into watergate, president nixon said one year is enough.
4:05 pm
let's close the investigation. one year later he resigned. i think mr. mueller is highly respected. trey gowdy i never thought i'd quote, david, in praise after what he did on benghazi. trey gowdy has told president trump the following -- "if you are not guilty, then act like it." so let's let mr. mueller do his job. >> let me correct you on one thing. that is that this investigation will have been going on for two years this august. two years. the house and the senate started their investigations in august of '16. let's not forget that. yes, mueller has been in office just over a year. but this investigation has been going on for two years. >> one year. >> it'seen going on for two years and there has been no evidence whatsoever of any collusion. that is what this investigation was about. this wasn't about, you know, paul manafort and what he did ten years ago. even though he is going to be convicted it looks like on other issues. it has nothing to do with the
4:06 pm
president and the campaign's collusion. that is the president's point. he didn't do anything wrong. >> martha: also just to -- that was an interview i did with trey gowdy. the part tt doesn't get picked up a lot is he said i don't think president trump did anything wrong. he said from everything we are seeing there is no indication that he did anything wrong. >> i don't think is certainly fair because we haven't seen the facts yet. my friend david -- >> martha: you say he should be impeached. wait a minute. you said he should be impeached. >> who said that? >> martha: you just said in the last breath you don't think you have all the facts. >> who said he should be impeached? i did not say that. >> martha: you have said that. >> i said he should be investigated. i don't know if he should be impeached. my book, thank you for mentioning, martha, calls for an investigation. and my friend david, we have become friends over the years forgot to mention that ken starr investigated bill clinton and mrs. clinton for seven years and $60 million. back then david wasn't
4:07 pm
colaining. >> that is because bill clinton had one problem after another. one of the most corrupt administrations we ever saw. look at how many independent counsels there were. look at how many different investigations there were. there were corruption at every turn. this is an investigation, you know, looking for some facts. but there is none there. that has been the president's point the entire time. >> martha: let me -- >> let's wait for the facts to come out. the last independent counsel after mr. starr found no evidence of any criminal wrongdoing by either mrs. clinton despite all of your efforts, ended up in a big zero. >> martha: all right. let me ask you about james comey because i know in your book "the unmaking of the president 2016." by that you mean hillary clinton. s towd the end of comey's campaign literally unmade her opportunity to be president. you believe he lied. how so? >> well, this is where again, david and i may actually agree
4:08 pm
on something. comey lied whene said he was obligated to show the congress that he was investigating the e-mails because of what he testified to. when all he actually said and he knows that this is all he said is i will look at. when he finally looked six days later a we all know as a matter of history, he found nothing there. on november 6, two days before the election he told us there was nothing there. i also agree that he should have been fired. but by president obama, because he violated justice department fundamental rules. i don't agree with president trump's reason for firing but he should have been fired. >> martha: all right. just to be clear, at this point you do not believe that there should be impeachment proceedings against president trump? >> not without an inigation. i want to see what the facts are after a thur reinvestigation -- thorough investigation. i'd like it to be bipartisan judgment rather than partisan one which is what happened to bill clinton in 1998. >> that is why we need republicans to keep control of the house because that is the
4:09 pm
only way there won't be impeachment. the democrat have no policy position, no agenda other than to impeach this president, to end his remarkable agenda and his sucsses. >> martha: all right, guys. >> remarkable? >> martha: y'all won't agree on that. thank you both. "unmaking of the president 2016" is the new book. up tonight aator stokes the flames of the immigration debate. >> the reason the administration says that they are tearing the children away from their parents, not to treat them, not to protect them, but instead to assault and inflict hurt. >> martha: that was one of his staffers shooting that whole thing. he got a 1 million hits on the internet for that tod. but what is the real story behind senator jeff murkily viral visit to immigration facilities housing illegal minors? ben shapiro says that is ridiculous and he will be in a
4:10 pm
minute. and judge andrew napolitano unleashes on the trump legal team next. >> the president of the united states pardons himself would be unthinkable and would lead to an immediate impeachment. george woke up in pain. but he has plans today. hey d. so he took aleve. if he'd , he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength to stop tough pain for up to hours with just one pill. "good morning
4:11 pm
♪ i thought i was managing my moderate to severe crohn's disease. then i realid something was missing... me. my symptoms were keeping me from being there.
4:12 pm
so, i talked to my doctor and learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of crohn's disease after trying other medications. and the majority of people on humira saw significant symptom relief and many achieved remission in as little as 4 weeks. humira can ler your ability to fight infections, including tubercul. serious, sometim fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get sted for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you, and them. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
4:13 pm
quote
4:14 pm
>> martha: news that just came in. president trump was supposed to welcome the super bowl lii champion philadelphia eagles to the south lawn of the white house. it's tradition. it happens every year but it appears it is not happening this week. the president released a statement moments ago saying this in part -- >> martha: no big moment for the's itals and i won't -- eagles and i won't cry too much over that, as you know. but there is that. if we get more we'll let you know. breaking tonight. confidential memo revealed that president trump's lawyers sent to special counsel mueller in january. this is the old l team.
4:15 pm
this is as giuliani made the rounds saying the president could pardon himself but he wouldn't. ed henry live at the white house with the story. hi, ed. >> it's great to see you. president trusing the stakes tonight beclairing the person counsel probe in his words -- by declaring that the special counsel's probe is unconstitutional and he would paon himsef he wants there. may be clashes ahead with mueller and the congress and the supreme court as well. the president made clear he does not expect to pardon himself because he says he has done nothing wrong. closely matching the message of the weekend of the lead attorney rudy giuliani who raised the specter of this and then added it's unthinkable that the president would do it because it would likely lead to impeachment. the key trump advisers tell me an important part of what giuliani is doing with the presidt's blessing is signaling to mueller there is still a small chance of one-on-one interview but only if the questions are severely limited. this is a warning shot if the
4:16 pm
special counsel wants to issue a subpoena to compel the president to testify he is ready for a battle in court. i can tell you the president offered combative tone as he did a phone call a short time ago with the minnesota republican party celebrating the accomplishments of his first 500 days in office. listen. >> president trump: we have a lot of people against us and the phony russian witch hunt that is being discredited. that's what it is. discredited disgrace. it's not even constitutional in a lot of people's opinion, in my opinion, too. >> as you noted this battle of course comes in the context of the extraordinary 20-page mem row that is sent -- memo sent to the special counsel in january but two of the president's personal attorneys at the time. john dowd who is now out and jay sekulow who is still in. he says the president cannot assert justice but has the power to shut the investigation down when he wants. the memo says the president himself dictated a statement that turned out to bemisleadingn
4:17 pm
donald trump jr.'s 2016 meeting at the trump toweller with the russians. that conflicts with sarah sanders. and what jay sekulow last year said minimizing the president's role drafting the statement. i can tell you the former deputy to independent counsel ken starr says the memo is helpful to preside. wa >> it's the leaking of the letter which i believe had to have come from the camp of the president that i think is so, such a brilliant maneuver. this shows a number of things. first, it shows that the mueller's team view of obstruction of justice is frightenly broad. >> sarah: he certainly didn't dictate. he weighed in and offered suggestion like any father would do. >> that was last year. today at the podium sarah sanders again said the president did not dictate that statement even though his legal team in january said he did dictate the statement.
4:18 pm
martha? >> martha: okay. thank you for the update from the white house tonight. judge napolitano joins us judge, what do you think? >> i think that the letter was a disgrace and harmful. >> martha: the january mem row? >> january memo. i don't know how it got out or why the white house would leak it. it shows sophomore rick view of -- sophomoric view of the law. they cited the wrong statute. this is saying two things. the president cannot commit obstruction of justice because he can order anybody prosecuted or fire anybody he wants. he can. but if he does so for a corrupt purpose that would be the definition of obstruction of justice. they f that part. the second argument they make he can interfere with thefein thefein -- f.b.i. investigation. but that is not obstruction.
4:19 pm
but that was amended 2002 to say if it intended to produce evidence -- >> martha: these are lawyers for the president of the united states. you think he has a good legal team. now he has rudy giuliani and jay sekulow. >> it's difficult for me to criticize them because i know them all personally and interacted with many. jay here and others in the other environments. >> martha: sure. >> but they are not serving him well when they needlessly show their cards and say he can impeach himself. why raise the issue? rudy giuliani -- >> martha: he could pardon himself. >> a -- correct. a brilliant prosecutor saying that he could order james comey shot in the oval office and not prosecuted for that? that is absurd and violation of the law. he could be arrested, tried, released or tried after he leaves the white house. but no one would let the
4:20 pm
attempted murder or murder not to be charged. giuliani knows that. >> martha: should he fire giuliaor that? >> i don't know. they have a relationship of which i'm unfamiliar. perhaps the trump wants rudy causing the chaos. but he is causing chaos and he causing people like you and me and the colleagues here and elsewhere to talk about the absurd off-the-wall things like can the president pardon himself? >> martha: the 500th day of the presidency. the president tweeted one tweet about that. he feels he got so much accomplished but did probably nine or ten over the weekend about all of this. >> the president has much of which to be proud on his 500th day in office. but whether or not he should pardon himself is not among them. most respectfully, if bob mueller's office is unconstitutional, why did you sanction the russians that he indicted and why are you lawyers interacting with an unconstitutional entity? i don't know what the answer would be. >> martha: good argument. judge, thank you very much. >> you're welcome.
4:21 pm
>> martha: good to see you. >> always a pleasure. happy monday. you don't like the eagles because they beat the patriots. >> martha: exactly. is that a problem? i have other reasons. >> god love your honesty. >> martha: joining me now is a national political reporter for axios. jonathan, great to have you here. thank you for being here. one issue that the judge and i didn't get to is the issue of the dictation by the president of the response to donald junior's meeting at trump tower. why is it problematic he would have been involved in that? >> it was problematic in the first instance because the statement was misleading. >> martha: how was it misleading? >> they said it was about russian adoption. the meeting that don junior had with the russians. and obviously, that was a pretext. >> martha: wasn't that something that the russian lawyer and that group had been
4:22 pm
lobbying for and working on for a long time? >> no question. but as the trump team would now acknowledge the meeting also included some other fairy relevant things including the e-mails to set it up which don junior agreed with saying they -- >> i love it. come on in. i love it. is it possible -- i'm curious about this. it's possible that that is what they lured him with and they wanted to talk to him about the other thing and didn't have the dirt. they wanted him in the room and figured that would work. and the president said who wouldn't take the meeting in today's politics? >> but the to your question i don't know that it is legally problematic. it's not illegal to lie to the news media or the "new york times." the present hasn't spoken to robert mueller and rudy giuliani continually reminds us one reason he hasn't spoken to mueller and they've been restraining that, they don't want him to purger himself. so this is rudy giuliani,
4:23 pm
literally said that. he said we are shifting explanations and the misleading statements, this is why we don't want the president interviewed by bob mueller. >> martha: what is your sense at the white house right now about how they feel about all of this? because today, you know, all the conversations i just said, the 500th day in office. but all the conversation is about the comments over the weekend. the president saying that he could pardon himself if he wanted to, and that the investigation is unconstitutional. as far as the message structuring goes, this is a failure. >> so, there is two parts to this thing. if i read about the mood of the white house for the russian investigation. it's nonsense. they don't talk about it. russia the one word nobody in the west wing talks about. they don't have meetings about it. if there is any mention of it people try to leave the room. like a word no one wants anything to do with. that being said, there is this dynamic particularly in the white house press shop where
4:24 pm
they are watching the show like the rest of us. they have no earthly idea what rudy giuliani is going to say, you know, to whoever in the next minute or on tv tonight. it's this completely separation operation. honestly, they view it as a circus a lot of them. they see this, they don't know what is going on, they don't know what he is going to say. they assume there is coordination between rudy giuliani and the president. but i think they are very happy to be out of it and have nothing to do with it and leave it to those guys and the more we can just say as spokes people for the white house, you know, i defer to the president's outside counsel. that is the magic sentence for all of them. >> martha: you can sense the frustration in the briefing room today. >> sure! >> martha: sarah huckabee sanders said look, there is a chinese wall. we are not the legal team. if you have questions for them, you have to ask them. we all know that the legal team does leak from time to time and you can get answers from the legal team if you push hard enough but that is a frustration for the press
4:25 pm
corps. >> it's a frustration for the press team and i remember when john dowd who wrote that memo you talked about, one of the authors of it, the president's former lawyer. i remembe was giving interviews and i talked to the senior people in the white house press shop and they were tearing their hair out. they had no idea some of this stuff was coming. they had to respond to it. so it's never been coordinated in any way, shape or form. >> martha: jonathan, thank you. great to see you tonight. >> appreciate it. >> martha: great to have you. still to come tonight, voting across the country tomorrow as the civil war over california plays out in electoral politics in that state. we'll break down what you need to watch there and in the seven other states for tomorrow night. plus, the senator crying foul after police confront him for trying to get into a detention center where they are holding illegal mine nowheres who have -- minors separated from their parents. bad situation to be sure. but ben shapiro says it's a publicity stunt. you hear his take after the break.
4:26 pm
>> i want to know if they are having second thoughts about being partners in a process of ripping children away from their families under this new policy. finally. hey ron! they're finally taking down that schwab billboard. oh, not so fast, carl. ♪ oh no. schwab, again? index investing for that low? that's three times less than fidelity... ...and four times less than vanguard. what's next, no minimums? ...no minimums. schwab has lowered the cost of investing again. introducing the lowest cost index funds in the industry with no minimums. i bet they're calling about the schwab news. schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. this is a tomato you can track from farm, to pot, to jar, to table. and serve with confidence that it's safe. this is a diamond you can follow from mine to finger, and trust it never fell into the wrong hands.
4:27 pm
♪ ♪ this is a shipment transferred two hundred times, transparently tracked from port to port. this is the ibm blockchain, built for smarter business. built to run on the ibm cloud. this is the ibm blockchain, built for smarter business. if yor crohn's symptoms are holding you back, and your current treatment hasn't worked well enough, it may be time for a change. ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works at the site of inflammation in the gi tract and is clinically proven to help many patients hieve both symptom relief and remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. pml, a rare, serious, potentially fatal brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. this condition has not been reported with entyvio. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent
4:28 pm
infections or have flu-like symptoms or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's treatment isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. jushis local miracle ear t at helped andrew hear of the joy in her voice. just one hearing test is all it took for him to hear more of her laugh... and less of the background noise around him. for helen, just one visit to her local miracle-is all it took to learn how she can share more moments with her daughter.
4:29 pm
just one free hearing test could help you hear more... laughter...music...life... call now for your free hearing test from an industry leader: miracle-ear. if you are smuggling a
4:30 pm
child, then we are going to prosecute you. and that child will be separated from you probably as required by law. if you don't want your child to be separated, then don't bring them across the border illegally. >> martha: so that was attorney general jeff sessions last month announcing a new trump administration policy to refer to every person caught crossing the border illegally for federal prosecution. as a result of that action, senator jeff merkley, a democrat from oregon, decided to go to the texas detention center over the weekend that is holding some of these illegal minors and try to prove just how bad the situation really is. of course, he took along cameras to document his experience. despite the fact he had been told in advance he would not be admitted to that facility. here is what happened. >> the reason that i came was this new policy that the attorney general has in place of families that are awaiting for the adjudication of the application for asylum in the
4:31 pm
u.s. and the children are being separated. we think it's important for you to be aware it's been in the press all over country that the children previously kept with their families under a new policy just implemented by the attorney general are being separatedded from their families and warehoused here. >> the supervisor is here. if he wants to come on the property he can ask, but he hasn't asked yet. >> martha: that is what happened. it went viral as i said. it's all over the internet. here is ben shapiro, editor of dailywire.com. good to see you. thank you for being on the show. you said this is a ridiculous stunt. what do you mean? >> i mean it's a ridiculous stunt in the sense if congress wants to change the law right now to allow illegal immigrant detainees to stay with the children they could do that. the democrats are not moving to do that. here is the real issue. the issue is under american law the ninth circuit court of appeals said this.
4:32 pm
when they enter with the children, the children must be referred from out of the system to guardian figure. so that means the kids will be by law separated from the parents when the illegal parents come across the border. the democrats is saying trump is separating them forcibly. but what they want like to see is a mass attempt by trump administration not to enforce the immigration laws at all. so the answer is instead of releasing kids and the parents, let's release everybody. kids, parents, everybody. if you want to enforce the immigration law and you want to keep kids with their parents you could make a legal fix for that. >> it's a great point. if you go through the congressional process and you try to change this you will run head long in the issue of the immigration reform in the country to say why are we doing this, right? how is this working? why are we separating the children? we are separating the children because they come across and in some cases they don't neif the children are the children of the parents or whether or
4:33 pm
not they are trafficked in the country. there are concerns about the families. in many cases they don't know. they don't have paperwork. in some cases they can't communicate that properly. so in some situations the kids are in danger. and this is the worst possible thing to see them in the holding centers. in some ways do you believe it's true they brought it on themselves? >> i don't think that the kids brought it on themselves. >> martha: i mean the families being separated. >> knowing what the status of the law is. is the status of the law is what it is i don't know why it changes based on the president of the united states enforcing the law. i would like to see the kids stay with the parents but the easiest way is allow the kids to stay with the parents or the parents not coming illegally. democrats like merkley says the best way to fix it is not enforce the law. he is in favor of the sanctuary cities and why he is in favor of the catch and release policies to allow illegal immigrants parents to be released and they never show up for the court date. if you enforce the immigration
4:34 pm
law under the ninth circuit court of appeals ruling you must take the kids away from parents. that is not fault of the conservatives. that is the people on the left on the ninth cit cou appeals beloved by the democrats the world over. >> martha: we talk about the issues over the weekend the president, the ability to pardon yourself and all of that, whether it's unconstitutional and the mueller investigation overall. lost in the shuffle is a tweet saying oh, it's 50 -- it's day 50he py. that could be the marquee moment of the day. but because of the other tweets we are not talking about it. i'm curious what you think on day 500. what do you think he is doing? >> he has governed more conservatively than i imagin he's the most conservative president of my lifetime. but in terms of his rhetoric, it's what it is. his rhetoric is what it is. we have areas to be grateful
4:35 pm
for policy. wish he would keep rhetoric policies to himself. >> martha: the eagles decided no it to go to the whse. so the president says hay don't like my policy. what do you think? >> the president has a habit of saying you can't quit, you are fired. i'm not shocked by the president's response to this. i have never been a fan of the sports teams visiting the white house. i seens like celebrity culture -- it seems like the celebrity culture at the finest. i don't like kim kardashian or the eagles at the white house. i don't want them just because they're famous to be at the white house. this is where policy should be done. not photo ops. >> i'm told that trump disinvited them so maybe he is starting to feel the same way. it's good to see you. thank you. have a good night. >> thanks a lot. >> martha: tomorrow, eight states will vote in the primaries to make or break things for president trump's entire agenda. we'll take a look at the races that you will want to be watching tomorrow night.
4:36 pm
and the plan for victory for both sides. next. plus, the officer accused of being a coward cop. failing to stop the parkland school gunman is now speaking out for the first time to defend his actions. >> we have possible -- it could be fire crockers. we have possible shots fired. 1200 building. now with steak. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
4:37 pm
do not mistake serenity for weakness. do not misjudge quiet tranquility for the power of 335 turbo-charged horses. the lincoln mkx, more horsepower than the lexus rx350. and a quiet interior from which to ad them. for a limited time, get 0% apr on the lincoln mkx plus get $1,000 bonus cash. jardiance asked: when it comes to managing your type 2 diabetes, what matters to you? you got a1c, heart, diet, and exercise. slide 'em up or slide 'em down. so let's see. for most of you, it's lower a1c. but only a few of you are thinking about your heart. fact is, even though it helps to manage a1c, type 2 diabetes still increases your risk of a fatal heart attack or stroke. jardiance is the only type 2 diabetes pill
4:38 pm
with a lifesaving cardiovascular benefit for adults who have type 2 diabetes and heart disease, significantly reducing the risk of dying from a cardiovascular event and lowering a1c, along with diet and exercise. this really changes things. jardiance can cause serious side effects including dehydration. this may cause you to feel dizzy, faint, or lightheaded, or weak upon standing. ketoacidosis is a serious side effect that may be fatal. symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, tiredness, and trouble breathing. stop taking jardiance and call your doctor right away if you have symptoms of ketoacidosis or an allergic reaction. symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash, swelling, and difficulty breathing or swallowing. do not take jardiance if you are on dialysis or have severe kidney problems. other side effects are sudden kidney problems, genital yeast infections, increased bad cholesterol, and urinary tract infections, which may be serious. taking jardiance with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take and if you have any medical conditions. man: ask your doctor about jardiance and get to the heart of what matters.
4:39 pm
man: ask your doctor about jardiance but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. and that 2% cash back adds up to thousands of dollars each year... so i can keep growing my business in big leaps! what's in your wallet? ♪ (woman) and my brother ray and i started startsearching for answers.ords. (vo) when it's time to navigate in-home care, follow that bright star. because brightstar care earns the same accreditation as the best hospitals. and brightstar care means an rn will customize a plan that evolves with mom's changing needs. (woman) because dad made us promise we'd keep mom at home. (vo) call 844-4-brightstar for your free home care planning guide.
4:40 pm
you always get the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed?m let's get someone to say it with a really low voice. carl? lowest price guaranteed. what about the world's lowest limbo stick? how low can you go? nice one, carl. hey i've got an idea. just say, badda book. badda boom. badda book. badda boom. nice. always the lowest price, guaranteed. book now at choicehotels.com >> martha: all right. drum roll please. hours from now the voters start heading to the polls in eight states in united states of america. including california. which political watchers believe could determine the control of the house come november because there is so many interesting races going on in california. so under the state's rules, the top two candidates advance to the general election regardless of party. meaning both democrats and republicans could be shut out of key contests. kayleigh mcenany is the
4:41 pm
r.n.c. spokesperson. good to see you tonight. there is so much going on in all of the states across the country. california's fascinating. tell me what you are watching there. >> you are right. this is a fascinating s to look at. as you mention this is a top two vote-getter system. so in three congressional districts there are so many democratic candidates vying to become their nominee or to advance in the top two vote-getter round that basically they could be shut out and we could see republicans with a smaller field advance. what is astomp niching to me -- astomp niching to me is the democratic party is getting involved in bullying the candidates out of the race. you have one democratic candidate in the 48th district saying the party officials came to me and said i was too brown to win here and i had to leave the race. this is astonishing they are sinking to that low. >> who is that? >> congressman omar sidique, the former adviser alleging
4:42 pm
this against the officials in the 48th district. >> martha: what is he doing about that? is he fighting that? that is unbelievable. >> he has been saying it loudly. it's only picked up by one source, the washington examiner but i confirmed with the r.n.c. he is saying the democratic party officials told him this. no one is covering this. they are using race-baiting and tactics to bully out candidates. it's astonishing. >> martha: it is astonishing. what about the representative ed royce's seat which is open. that is called the weirdest race in the country. why? >> it's very weird. you have the democrats fighting so intensely that the state party chairman, the democratic state party chairman convened them at an italian restaurant. in what was described as "godfather like dinner" saying we all need to come together and make peace because we are hurting ourselves. this is how vicious it's gotten. they are convening at italian restaurants to make peace. >> martha: we hope it doesn't turn out like "the godfather." in terms of the money spent by
4:43 pm
the democrats, you know, they are in danger of going bust in california they dumped so much money in this. right? >> right. there are sen teats they spent combined $30 million -- ten seats that they have spent combined $30 million. we have only spent a fraction of that. our candidates are equipped with millions of dollars when they come out of the races but to avoid the top two vote getter system, the democrats are wasting the money and some of their candidates are next to broke. they have a lot of trouble. d.m.c. is broke, too. >> martha: what about holding on to the republican seats california? >> something we are looking at is the sanctuary state law that has really taken california by storm. you see more than a dozen districts rising up against the state district saying this is not something we want to tolerate. this is a key hot button issue for us. we have seen kevin dalieone who is running against dianne feinstein. he has fallen in the poll and
4:44 pm
that is illustrative of what is happening state wide. >> martha: it's going to be fascinating. what about montana? we remember the president going after the senator testra there, and they wanted him to be the head of the p.a. what is going on there? >> it's interesting because john tester voted against nearly all of president trump's policies. his first campaign ad says, "i can put on two hands the number of bills i got president trump to sign." he wasn't with president trump on tax cuts. wasn't with president trump on keeping the government open or any of the other key legislation. he has a green party challenge and he is fighting that in court. he is in trouble, tester. >> martha: that is fascinating to watch. thank you very much. we'll watch tomorrow. >> thank you, martha. >> martha: coming up here, the police officer who was accused of being a coward in the parkland massacre is now opening up.
4:45 pm
he is telling his side of the story. but not everyone is buying it. jeff bell, president of the broward county sheriff union joins me next. >> in a perfect world, oh i would have said, oh, yeah, i know there was a s there. let me go to the third floor, find this person. coppertone sport. proven to protect street skaters and freestylers. stops up to 97% uv. lasts through heat. through sweat. coppertone. proven to protect.
4:46 pm
with tripadvisor, finding your perfect hotel at the lowest price... is as easy as dates, deals, done! simply enter your destination and dates... and see all the hotels for your stay! tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites... to show you the lowest prices... so you can get the best deal on the right hotel for you. dates, deals, done! tripadvisor. visit tripadvisor.com
4:47 pm
only marshall tuck will change that. year after year, policians fail to improve public schools. tuck turned around failing schools, raising graduation rates 60%. marshall tuck for state superintendent. marshall tuck.
4:48 pm
to california schoolsd, need big change. marshall tuck is the only candidate for state superintendent who's done it before. less bureaucracy, more classroom funding. marshall tuck for state superintendent. marshall tuck.
4:49 pm
>> martha: this quote, "the bottom line i there to protect. and i lost 17." that is what the disgraced school resource officer at marjory stoneman douglas high school is now saying. nearly four months after a gunman murdered 17 people inside that florida school. sheriff deputy scot peterson breaks his silence and questions what he could have done to save lives despite not going into the building to try to find and confront the shooter. trace gallagher live in the west coze newsroom with the -- west coast newsroom with the back story. >> the former broward county deputy scot peterso says he was trained to do. he called in the shooting. he locked down the school. he cleared the kids out of the court-yard. peterson says surveillance video and call logs support his story. but the video and the callologys are originally what prompted the sheriff to label him a coward. we know at 2:21 on the
4:50 pm
afternoon of february 14, deputy peterson was in his office. when a call came in of a possible firecracker. seconds later, the fire alarm went off and peterson ran toward the 1200 building a security guard in a golf cart offered him a ride. when peterson got off the cart he heard two loud bangs. he claimed he didn't know where they came from and he took up a tactical position of the wall near 1200. at 12:23 he made the first police radio call. watch. >> we have possible, it could be firecrackers. i think we have shots fired. possible shots fired. 1200 building. >> 1200. in the next 54 seconds, peterson made two more calls where he again identified shots being fired in the 1200 building. but now he maintains that while he said 1200 he never pinpointed the location. never saw the shooter. and stayed against the wall so he wasn't exposed. but according to police
4:51 pm
surveillance video that has not been released, it does show the attacker discarding his weapon in the stairwell of 1200. and then blending in with other students as they fled the building. here is peterson's radio call a full seven minutes after the report of a firecracker. listen. >> do not approach the 1200 or the 1300 building. stay at least 500 feet away at this point. >> everybody stay away. but at that point the victims were all down and the shooter was gone. here is scot peterson now on nbc. watch. >> you know, if i would have had, at the point if i would have known, knowing what i know today, i would have been in that building in a heartbeat. i mean like i said, it was my kids. i mean i didn't know. i mean, i wrack my brain. i go why? >> yet even in hindsight, the sheriff and the police union both agree peterson should have gone in, addressed the killer and killed the killer.
4:52 pm
martha? >> martha: unbelievable. trace, thank you very much. here wit more tonight broward sheriff office deputy association president jeff bell. jeff, what goes through your mind when you listen to this man who has now broken his msf?nce and is defending >> it's shameful to listen to the words he is speaking today. deputy peterson in his 28 out of 32-year law enforcement career sent it as a school resource deputy. i think what he has fort season how to tell the truth. he is being a counselor in a school instead of law enforcement officer. what he forgets is that facts have to match the story being told. a story that deputy peterson is telling does not match the facts that we can clearly see through the dispatch call logs and through the video. deputy peterson was right there a minute after the shooting started. then listens, continued to listen to the shots go on for another five minutes before he ever took action. the first tactical bit of information that he put out on
4:53 pm
the radio was to tell deputies to stay away 500 feet. which is against all protocol in a sheriff's office. but that also paints a bigger picture of what is going on in the sheriff office that things need to be fixed from a higher level. the deputies that are working the ground are just following what they are told to do from a higher level. >> martha: it's infuriating. this is andrew who lost his daughter meadow on with us on friday night. watch. >> the one deputy that worked at the school didn't go in. so he hid behind theall. and they thought there was still an active shooter in there because he was still hiding behind the wall, the deputy at the building at the time. so, you know, the paramedics had their work cut out from that day because the sheriff at the school didn't do his job. >> martha: we talk about the fact that the paramedics were also told they could not go in the building. no doubt there were children who had been wounded at that point that could have used the paramedic help. who has been held accountable
4:54 pm
in the sheriff's office so far? and in what way? >> that's what i was trying to say before about the bigger problem here at the sheriff's office. nobody has been held accountable. you have the district captain of parkland, jan jordan, who took 11 minutes to get to that scene and had no ability to take a command presence at that crime scene and actually get resources inside that were needed. fire chief mcdally out of col springs went on the record and said that six times he asked captain jordan for permission to get fire rescue units and the law enforcement units into that school as the rescue task force units. as we are trained to do, to help save people and save lives. six times he was denied to allow the rescue task force to get inside. so it shows the incompetence of the district captain. and those people are being placed in by the sheriff, himself, as political appointees and favoritism and cronyism. >> martha: thank you. we'll stay on the story and
4:55 pm
keep asking the questions until something happens. thank you very much. >> thank you. >> martha: we'll be right back. ♪ come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away. ♪ maybe not. maybe you could trust you won't have to actually talk to your neighbor. are you watching the game tonight? or... ...you could just trust duracell. ♪
4:56 pm
red lobster's lobster & shrimp hesummerfest is back!h. get all the lobster and shrimp you crave, together in so many new ways. there's new cedar plank seafood bake. tender maine lobster and shrimp, cedar roasted to perfection. or new caribbean lobster and shrimp. sweet pineapple salsa on grilled rock lobster, paired with jumbo coconut shrimp. and wait. there's lobster & shrimp overboard! it's a seafood party on a plate. so hurry in. 'cause lobster & shrimp summerfest won't last. yogyoooogiiiiiii!! but when it comes to mortgages, he's less confident. here, yogi. fortunately, there's rocket mortgage by quicken loans. apply simply. understand fully. mortgage confidently. get approved in as few as 8 minutes. the first survivor of ais out there.sease and the alzheimer's association is going to make it happen. but we won't get there without you. visit alz.org to join the fight.
4:57 pm
3 toddlers won't stop him.. and neither will lower back pain. because a dr. scholl's kiosk he got a recommendation for our custom fit orthotic to relieve his foot, knee, or lower back pain, from being on his feet. dr. scholl's. born to move.
4:58 pm
4:59 pm
>> martha: before we leave you tonight, comedian and tonight show host jimmy fallon delivering a surprise commencement address on sunday to the marjory stoneman douglas high school graduating class. his words to those gduates are our quote of the night. >> when something feels hard, remember that it gets better. choose to move forward and don't let anything stop you. sometimes things can take our lives and totally new directions and change in ways we don't expect. put 1 foot in front of the other and keep going day by day, moment by moment. if i could give you one last piece of advice, it would be this. don't ever get off your parents wireless plan. ride that train as long as possible. >> martha: good for them. and good for him for doing that. he had a strong message and he
5:00 pm
made them laugh too, which i'm sure they needed. good job. we will be back here tomorrow night. 7:00 actually from washington, d.c. tucker carlsg up next. see you tomorrow. ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to tucker carlson tonight. on friday we told you an amazing story and an upsetting one about how the obama administration made a series of terrifying changes to the way the faa hires air traffic controllers. ideologues in the obama administration sought out the least impressive, least qualified applicants possible for one of this country's most vital jobs. extra points for being given for being unemployed and failing in school. it was lunacy and a direct threat to public safety. it happened in secret and remarkably we have discovered it is still going on. you need to know about this. we have no

120 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on