Skip to main content

tv   The Ingraham Angle  FOX News  August 3, 2018 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
sean's back on monday. "the ingraham angle" is up next. have a terrific night. ♪ >> welcome to washington. i'm laura ingraham and this is "the ingraham angle". you wouldn't know there it watching msnbc, but there was another great economic report tonight. plus, there's a new craze that involves jumping out of a moving car. what? raymond royal will be here to explain it in the friday follies. plus some black pastors are facing backlash for meeting with president trump. but first, resisting for all the wrong reasons.
7:01 pm
that's the focus of tonight's angle. all right. this progressive summit called net roots nation is underway in new orleans this weekend. from the impeachment-obsessed to the 2020 wannabes. and while the big names write up the marquee, the lesser known politicians really have the pulse on the direction of the party. delivering their manifestos to adoring crowds. here's the mayor of jackson, mississippi. >> we have made the declaration in jackson, mississippi that we intend to be the most radical city on the planet. we need to be as radical as the circumstances dictate we should. >> okay. i need a translator for that one. i don't even get that.
7:02 pm
but let's face it, we have seen what that all can entail. and here's the mayor of new orleans on what she hopes will happen next. >> let's bring about the change that we know our people need. we need economic justice. we need criminal justice reform. we need health and environmental justice. we need racial equality, because we understand that no one matters if everyone doesn't matter. >> no one matters if everyone doesn't matter. i guess that's a double negative. that means no one matters, right? i'll diagram that later. but the real question is this: why fight so hard to whip up change for an economy that's actually working for the people at every level of the economy? let's just take a look at what we're talking about here. black, hispanic, and non-high
7:03 pm
school graduate unemployment are now all at record lows. job growth is also exploding across the country. we have more people employed now than at anytime in our history. wages are up 2.7% from last year. the housing market is making a massive comeback. and get this. manufacturing jobs are back. oh, how many times did barack obama say that couldn't happen? it's the strongest manufacturing job market in 20 years. despite what all those naysayers told us. so what's the bottom line? there's a glaring disconnect between the so-called resistance and just regular americans who want to work for a living. and those people are revelling in trump's economic renaissance. just listen to some of my radio callers this week. >> i work for the largest shipping company in the world. i'm an outside sales rep for them. and i'm up 40, 60% this year. i think everybody sees a difference. everywhere i go people talk
7:04 pm
about it. and i think it's real. >> my family has a construction business an my husband's phone is ringing off the hook. he currently has seven houses to build. he's added employees. >> you saw an uptick because of the optimism. when you talk to other people in business and people working in our particular line of work, they are happy. >> from 28 years old, i just recently started a fiberglass business. i'm making money. people are willing to spend their money because they're not worried they'll be broke tomorrow. >> wow, it is going to be awfully hard for the left to convince happy americans to change course when they're actually now on a winning track. that net roots gathering comes up a lot about the direction of the democratic party. they're so far to the left that they lack serious policy ideas
7:05 pm
to challenge the president's successful record. they've become basically the party of perpetual grievance and complaint. but how long will that actually play among as electorate that is so much more prosperous and optimistic than they've been in years? as for the net roots, i think they can use some water. the kool-aid has gone to their head. this is why i call them nut roots. and that's the angle. joining us now for reaction is florida attorney general pam bondi. all right. let's start with you teslan, i'm trying to figure out how democrats argue against an economy that is helping so many who have been kicked so far down on the economic ladder for so
7:06 pm
long, whether it's unemployment, wages going up, optimism, opportunity for small businesses? why would you want to change that? >> that's the problem. they're not arguing it and having the debate to talk about the issues. democrats have been playing platform hopscotch for the last several years, which is why we lost the house and senate. first it was the center with clinton, then the left with sanders. it's okay to talk about president trump and what they don't like about trump, but they do have to be able to sell the message if they're going to be able to take the american people further than where we are right now. the debate has nothing to do what individuals are dealing with right now, which is how to move america forward. that's what you're seeing with the divide between the far left
7:07 pm
and the middle of the democratic party. >> pam, let's go to you. for the life of me, there's this debate in the democrat party from the far progressive side -- they were more into military interventions and so forth. but i'm still not hearing, even from the progressives, i'm not hearing a substantive argument about how to get to 4.1% of gdp or this level of employment. how are you going to better what trump is going? >> and they can't. i don't understand the patriotism of some of these leaders. i don't even understand that. he doesn't have to like the president. he didn't have to vote for the president. but you should hope for the president's success because as you said minority unemployment has plummeted.
7:08 pm
hispanic unemployment, which is so important in my state, is at a low of 4.5. the lowest ever under president obama was 5.4. kids that dropped out of high school, the record fell 5.1%. how great is that undeployment? i don't understand why they would not root for the success of america because when you do it's rooting for the success of all of us. >> i want to a sound bite for you about what democrats are missing. let's watch. >> their message to me and the five and a half million americans who are demanding donald trump's impeachment is that it's bad politics, it's off message, and it will galvanize the republicans. not a single person in the senate democratic caucus has
7:09 pm
shown the common sense or the sense of right and wrong to support impeach him. not one. >> is that what the democrats need to rally around? impeachment. >> no, it won't turn people out to the polls. it does drive a lot of emotions, but to run complete campaign platforms on dumping trump is not going to speak to the heart of the voters. when people start believing that just because someone supported someone else prior to and think you're going to be able to talk on talking points. you have to be able to speak about what you're for, and that's what the party is missing. >> i think today the number i saw was the african-american approval rating, i believe it's correct daily, is about 29%. a couple of months ago i believe it was at 15%.
7:10 pm
if donald trump can move the african-american opinion and turn out african-american voters, even if he moves it 5%, that will be a significant plus for the republicans and i think it would be good for everyone. the idea is just because you're one skin color you have to vote for one party, that doesn't make any sense, given how great the news are for african-americans. the issue of impeachment. there's a lot of net roots enthusiasm for pushing the i word. >> they're just trying to inflame emotions. i was just here in tampa with the president. i watched him and i watched ivanka. no one mentions that he just gave $1 billion in grants. he signed that into law. $1 billion for stem jobs. who does that help? minorities, that helps everyone
7:11 pm
in this country. >> how will they be able to pay that back. i just hope we're going to pay that back. both of you stay right there because i want to bring in howie. howie, i mentioned at the top the disconnect between the far left and everyday americans. there's this one crazy moment today of many crazy moments in television. it seems like they've moved from invoking hitler as far as trump goes to now invoking another famous dictator. let's watch. >> it's simply a stalinist phrase for god's sake, to declare that a free press is the enemy of the people. it's in their self-interest to stop playing this totalitarian card. >> tonight i'm obsessed with president trump's repeated stalin-era assertion.
7:12 pm
>> stalin. is this working the stalin, hitler -- >> i guess the hitler thing wasn't polling well so they brought in stalin. i also think the president shouldn't refer to fake news. but the coverage is so one-sided. when they use the stalin analogy, when they call president trump unhinged, mentally unfit, they are lowering the discourse in precisely the way they accuse the president who they detest. >> 20 to 25 million killed under stalin, an additional 40 million killed often linked to him. many millions sent to concentration camps all sorts of other atrocitieatrocities. it's just patently ridiculous. a number of figures in the media
7:13 pm
were doing their best, and it's unbelievable given the news, to kind of downplay what's happening on the economy. i want all of you to react. let's watch. >> 157,000, which is somewhat healthy but also disappointing. >> this is not the strongest gain we've seen. just 2.7% year over year. this is a big problem for american workers. >> a big problem for american workers. i want to go to you, pam. it's 2.7 year to year. it was flat under obama. we hadn't seen a median wage increase for i think 18 years. and it's tough. but this is good news and this is after revising numbers in may and june upward. they had to go back and revise those job numbers upward. so that was good news. they believed the number was bad for this month because of the
7:14 pm
toys"r"us. they lost a lot of jobs in retail. so that did not help. does this seem transparent to you as it does to me? >> yeah, it does. i like the term fake news because that's what we're hearing and seeing every day. . our economy has very strong footing right now. consumer spending is going up. as a prosecutor, the more unemployed, i feel the fewer people committing crimes. it's great for our country. i do believe in the term fake news. yes, it's extremely transparent. when they have nothing to go on, that's what they go on, referring to our great president as hitler and stalin is unpatriotic and horrible. >> and this gal was on with jason miracle on cnn. and they were discussing president trump and whether he was everyone's president or just certain people's president. let's watch. >> i'm calling this process, this procedure is absolutely
7:15 pm
based on by bigotry and fear mongering. if you don't understanding that your president -- >> my president? he's our president. >> not mine. i would never claim a bigot ever. >> do you like that approach to politics? i don't think i ever would dream of saying that. i definitely did not say that when president obama was president. he won the presidency and he was an amazing campaigner and communicator. and i never took that away from him. but that's common on the left now. he's not our president. >> saying he's not our president doesn't make it the reality. the reality is he's the president of the united states. as an employer who actually signed the front of the check in
7:16 pm
orlando, florida, i wish we would have had the economy we had to stop me from closing my business in 2012. it was people who were second-chance citizens who wanted to be put to work. we also put out individuals who were on probation, a lot of women who were in shelters at the time. those are the stories that we don't hear about. those are the stories that it affects. not only small business, but particularly african-american business that is went back into the community to do the hiring that corporate america cannot. african-american, which the democrat party still has yet to address. which is why there was an apology tour over the last two months apologizing to black women. >> you're going to want to see a segment we do later about prison reform. they tried this about a year ago
7:17 pm
with donald trump, that he's in declining mental capacity. and this is what a host on msnbc said this morning. >> the dangerous, blustering bigot on the stage right now is even more boorish and less connected to reality than he was ten years ago. donald trump is not well, and everyone close to him says it. >> i think all those adjectives don't help the left's position. i understand pundits going after trump on immigration and putin. it seems to me to be journalists almost rooting for a bad economy. and the worst thing is when some of these journalists and commentators go after trump voters. they're yahoos.
7:18 pm
i mean, that kind of hatred, they are smearing millions of americans for voting for trump. >> they don't understand that's why they voted for trump, because they know that those folks looked down on them and trump didn't. >> condescending elite institutions. >> the forgotten man and woman. that's why he referenced it. fantastic panel, all of you. thanks so much for joining us tonight. why would a former cia moscow chief say they're doing putin bidding? ♪
7:19 pm
♪ keep it comin' love. if you keep on eating, we'll keep it comin'. all you can eat riblets and tenders at applebee's. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
7:20 pm
7:21 pm
fox news @ nig >> former intel chief john brennan and klapper became the darling in mainstream media and they've been exploited president trump over the russian probe. but a new piece is arguing that brennan and klapper, get this, may be doing more harm than good, siting former cia station chief in moscow, daniel hoffman, it says, quote, they're doing putin bidding when they
7:22 pm
speculate without facts. in klapper's case, that the kremlin's interference swung the election to trump. joining us now with reaction is the real clear investigations reporter who wrote that piece. we're also joined by former cia ops officer. lee, let's start with you. why is this news? it seems that a lot of conservatives have seen what happened to brennan and to a lesser extent klapper. they think they're hurting the intel, but what else did you find? >> one of the key things is that the american public is losing their confidence right now when they see former intelligence chief like brennan and klapper get on tv and tear into the president. it also enhances the idea, encourages the idea, as president trump has said, that
7:23 pm
these guys were up to no good, that brennan and klapper, and others were up to no good. >> and there's a couple of moments of the last month or so that really jumped out at me, where the criticism of the president was particularly nasty. and this involved both klapper and brennan. let's watch. >> mr. trump is not sophisticated enough unfortunately to deal with these foreign leaders in a manner that is going to protect u.s. national security weekend. >> this past weekend is what a great case officer putin is. he knows how to handle as asset, and that's what he's doing with the president. >> for klapper to say that the president of the united states is an asset to vladimir putin, what about that? >> yes, i mean, how can you look at these people and not view them as partisan? and that gets to lee's piece, which is you go back and look
7:24 pm
through the history of cia directors, you might not agree with all of their policies, they might have had some critical words after they got out of office for a president here or there on a serious policy question. but these were serious cia directors who know how important it is to continue to allow americans to have confidence in the cia and its assessment they're destroying that. and it's why you have the fbi officials who privately confess so much concern about comey too and his comments since leaving office. >> mike, the president has hit back hard. when he does hit back, he's criticized for himself tarnishing the reputation of the intelligence agencies and hurting their credibility. this is back on july 17th, what
7:25 pm
the president said. let's watch. >> president obama, along with brennan and klapper and the whole group that you see on television now, probably getting paid a lot of money by you networks, they knew about russia's attempt to interfere in the election in september and they totally buried it. >> he's basically saying they did nothing. if hillary won, with what would they have done? is the president wise to speak in those terms about the intel agencies or at least the past directors? >> i think we're in a different world here. i would like to see the president more circumspect, but that's not going to happen. i would like to see brennan and klapper and others just do what traditionally has been done, which is keep your yap shut and hold your own counsel. look, brennan and the others have a right to say whatever they want to say. they've got that right. and clearly they're exercising it. they don't have a right to a security clearance. and that is one action that the
7:26 pm
president is currently considering is yanking those security clearances. those remain with them as a courtesy. not just brennan but anyone coming out of a senior position. and frankly we should be overhauling the clearance process regard let's. but i think to lee's point in this article that you started with, yes, it is true that by talking the way that john brennan is talking and talking the way that klapper is discussing, in a sense they're furthering the russian objective, which is essentially and always has been over decades to sow discord and doubt and confusion. and when you have someone with that senior position come out and just speculate, as they are speculate. they have access to that information at this point in the game. it does serve to the russian objective. >> that does make the russians happy.
7:27 pm
they're a fraction of what they once were. their economy is dwarfed by china. this gives them a sense of, oh, look the whole country is locked down in a conversation about putin. >> our former intelligence directors are saying thing. putin is a master case officer and look at how he's handling trump. what more could he ask for, praising putin how he's handling the president, which is nonsense by the way. it's ridiculous. >> lee, yesterday we had five top officials, national security intel officials come out in the briefing room, this big show of force to restate that russia did try to meddle, is continuing to try to interfere in our electoral politics, made this
7:28 pm
big show. and i thought maybe the media would say, well, okay, this is for real now. but instead the reaction was quite different. let's watch. >> the tale of two white houses, where you know where the election is real and one where the opposite seems true. for some it's going to take more than one surprise briefing to convince them that what we heard today about cracking down on russia has the full backing of the president. >> that's just a pr stunt. >> well, keep this in mind, laura. anything the trump administration is doing to combat russia and its interference in our election is ten times more than the obama administration did during their tenu tenure. remember, we didn't find out about this until after the fact. and there has been very critical reporting about how little this was taken seriously, at least not until the very end, and how
7:29 pm
little was done to proactively warn candidates out there. in fact, they were kept in the dark so they couldn't try to stop this from within their own campaigns. when you have this many intelligence officials out there making the claim, you clearly have people within the cia that having seen what happened in 2016 are very much on the case, the media can choose to ignore that if they want, but the proof is in what's actually happening. >> all i can say is they literally can do nothing right in the media's eyes. there is nothing they can do. donald trump could have smacked putin in the face and it still wouldn't have been enough for the media. great to have you on tonight. and a viral dance craze prompting serious warnings from police across the country. and how the me too movement may be ruining the viewing of classic films. from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills?
7:30 pm
most pills don't finish the job because they don't relieve nasal congestion. flonase sensimist is different. it relieves all your worst symptoms, including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. it's more complete allergy relief. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist helps block six key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. and six is greater than one. flonase sensimist.
7:31 pm
7:32 pm
>> good evening and live from america's news headquarters, a federal judge ruling tonight that the trump administration must fully restore the dreamers act or daca. the judge found the president failed to find adequate justification for ending it. calling it arbitrary and capricious. the white house has 20 days to appeal the ruling. a ten-month investigation into the las vegas massacre has concluded without a clear motive. they say he acted alone but they don't know why. hundreds were injured. he did not leave a suicide note and authoritys the say he had no ties to terror or hate crews. now back to "the ingraham angle". for all your headlines, log onto
7:33 pm
foxnews.com. >> it's friday, and you know what that means. ♪ a viral dancing sensation is sweeping the internet, but it's prompting serious warnings across the united states. fox news contribute raymond arroyo. what in the good lord's name is this? >> if you play your cards right, i'll send you a version of me taking up the "in my feelings" challenge. a comedian recorded himself in the street dancing to the drakes tune. and it's just you dance along to the drake song. well, then celebs took it up like will smith. watch this. >> that's a good dancer. >> will smith got on the top of a paris landmark and started dancing along. and then, natural, which happens
7:34 pm
on the internet, everybody and their grandmother quite literally got in on the act. they started jumping out of cars. look at them. breaking legs, major fractures. fines are being imposed in georgia, egypt, all over the world. >> how did it go to jumping out of cars? >> they decided we're not going to only do it on the street. we're going to do it out of a moving vehicle. i have to show you this one. it's so sad it's funny. this one guy starts to do this and he starts the move. you'll see what happens here. this is unbelievable. >> he's okay. >> people are getting hit by cars. >> how is he okay? that looks really bad. >> people are getting air lifted. she's learning to walk again. there are better ways to express
7:35 pm
yourself on the internet than this. >> i'm doing that after the show. >> there's another dangerous trend invading cities across the u.s. what happened to walking? they have deposited 1300 vehicles around town and people are not happy. they're like ubers, laura. >> they just drop them in the middle of the sidewalk. >> you use your cell phone, you turn the thing on. i hope you have a direct dial to a personal injury attorney because most of these people are falling over. they don't stop gradually. they stop suddenly and people are flipping over them. again, fractures, leg breaks, arm breaks. >> don't we want people to walk? don't we have an obesity problem? now we've gone to let's move to the emergency room because you're on a scooter. >> if you're over 12, get off the scooter. >> a grown man with a backpack,
7:36 pm
wearing a knit cap or a baseball cap backwards, wearing those tight sweatpants on a scooter with a man bun and a tattoo. >> i can top you. the 50-year-olds on the skateboards at the skate park. grandpa, you're going to bust a hip. >> before i let you go, there was a piece in usa today this week that questioned whether we can still watch movies the way we once did. >> she's talking about "animal house's" 40th anniversary. she's saying the crueller moments beg the question, in the era of "me too," is it still okay to enjoy "animal house." so we have to reappraise our viewing of every old movie? i thought, my gosh, we can't watch "caddy shack" anymore.
7:37 pm
>> oh, a lovely lady. baby, you're all right. you must have been something before electricity. >> why are we judging the past by the present? >> it's ridiculous. >> and take the era in -- and my immediate thought was, my gosh, there's so many old classic movies we'll never be able to watch again, like these. >> i can tie a bucket to you and sink you. >> have you found someone you like better? >> what's the matter? what's the -- what are you sore on a little slap? >> why can't we appreciate how society has changed?
7:38 pm
by the way, "adam's rib," that movie is about women being equal at a time they weren't. my feeling is sit back and enjoy them like time capsules and have a laugh. >> it's like examining shakespeare. two african-american pastors met with president trump this week. they're getting blowback for it you won't believe. up next. real cheese people are experiencing some side effects thanks to new sargento blend slices. these may include cartwheels. karma smiles. growing stomachs. unprecedented enjoyment. intense jubilation. minds blown sky high, wide open. whole wheat going hog wild. burgers flipping their lid. because when you add a slice of 5 cheese italian into your life, your stomachs gonna say "grazie, that's good." 4 cheese southwest, you and your taste buds are going to a flavor rodeo. so sit back and savor the side effects. you've been warned. new sargento blends. in four unique varieties.
7:39 pm
until i held her. managing my type 2 diabetes wasn't my top priority. i found my tresiba® reason. now i'm doing more to lower my a1c. i take tresiba® once a day. tresiba® controls blood sugar for 24 hours for powerful a1c reduction. (woman) we'd been counting down to his retirement. it was our tresiba® reason. he needs insulin to control his high blood sugar and, at his age, he's at greater risk for low blood sugar. tresiba® releases slow and steady and works all day and night like the body's insulin. (vo) tresiba® is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. don't use tresiba® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar, or if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. don't share needles or insulin pens. don't reuse needles. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which may cause dizziness, sweating, confusion, and headache. check your blood sugar. low blood sugar can be serious and may be life-threatening. injection site reactions may occur.
7:40 pm
tell your prescriber about all medicines you take and all your medical conditions. taking tzds with insulins like tresiba® may cause serious side effects like heart failure. your insulin dose shouldn't be changed without asking your prescriber. get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing, fast heartbeat, extreme drowsiness, swelling of your face, tongue or throat, dizziness or confusion. (man) i found my tresiba® reason. find yours. (vo) ask your health care provider about tresiba®. covered by most commercial health insurance and medicare part d plans. >> god, we thank you for an opportunity to speak about the the hearts of those who sometimes cannot fight for themselves. thank you for this moment to be able to share our hearts with the president and his administration. dr. king said, "we cannot influence a table that we are not seated at." and so we pray that this conversation will be fruitful
7:41 pm
and productive and honoring of the the best traditions of this nation. >> how many times did you see former presidents praying like that? i love that moment. that was president trump on wednesday. he held a meeting with inner-city religious leaders where several pastors expressed support for president trump's policy, especially this new push for prison sentencing reform. that actually didn't go over very well for congregants for some of these pastors. joining me now are two of the pastors that attended then event. it's great to have all of you on tonight. let's start with you, pastor van moody. you received some blowback after being at the white house on wednesday. tell us about that.
7:42 pm
>> well, yes, i did receive a tremendous amount of blowback, a lot of name calling. a number of individuals that have been a part of a number of things that i've done, books that i've written, conferences and other ministry opportunities have said that they're leaving and many people expressed a lot of anger and frustration because i was there but also because one of the comments that i made i think was misunderstood and taken out of context when i thanked president trump for him having a heart for all people as it relates to this issue of prison reform and workforce development. so it's been quite a challenge. but once again, i think the purpose of trying to make a difference in the lives of people that are marginalized and voiceless is so much bigger. and that's why i went in the first place. >> how ironic that we have a president who seems very open to
7:43 pm
taking on this very complicated issue of prison reform, ending this scourge of recidivism where federal prison, about 76% of the current prison population have already served time. they want to put an end to that so people can rejoin communities, get jobs, have a job skill. it's a big and heavy lift, but i think they're going to get this done. and it takes everybody to do this. pastor scott, i would like you to chime in here because i think it's so brave that pastor van moody came to the white house. i can't believe i have to describe it as brave, but it is brave in this society that we live in today. >> well, i mean, he took a bold step and i commend and applaud him and the other pastors for coming as well. it's time to put those identity politics aside, put this
7:44 pm
pettiness aside, try to suppress this black/white divide and sit down and have meaningful, productive dialogue that can lead to meaningful, productive change in this country. the president has a heart for prison reform. i've been working with him on this for over a year. prison adjustment reform is another issue that is on the president's heart that he has a concern about. and we've had many different discussions concerning this. and urban revitalization issues. we're going to have the most ambitious public/private partnership regarding urban revitalization. president trump has the the potential to be the most pro-black president in my lifetime because all of the presidents -- and i've lived under 12 different presidents. he's the 12th one. the prior 11 were all reactive
7:45 pm
towards the black community. even our great icons, johnson and kennedy, they were reactive towards social upheaval. president trump is being proactive towards the black community. >> let's get antoine's response. trump can be the most pro-black president in modern history. your thoughts? >> i think that's disappointing. keep in mind i'm not a pastor, but i grew up in the church. i know a little bit about leadership. my uncle was the 133rd elected bishop in the church. and what i do know is that when a pastor steps out or in the pulpit, they represent the hearts and the minds of the entire congregation. this president has not had the best interest of african-americans. >> how do you say that with the
7:46 pm
results? >> if you look at his rhetoric, if you look at some of the things his administration has done, if you look at some of the policy stance he has taken -- >> like what? >> whether it's voter suppression. >> voter suppression? >> absolutely. >> where are you getting that? >> whether he's called mexicans rapists and thugs, this president has never been -- >> most of it is misstated. you can't do that on this show. >> and he campaigned on the issue that he wanted to undo everything barack obama had done. and so you can say what you want. listen, i'm not here to -- you do what you want. >> you giving us a speech. speeches don't work on cable television. bumper sticker mentality. pastor moody, go ahead. >> yeah, i think one of the
7:47 pm
things that people have to understand is that for me as a faith leader, i'm called to something much higher than politics and egos and ideology. and for me this was very simple. there are a number of individuals that are voiceless and disenfranchised in the prison population. african-americans, for an example, make up 12 to 13% of the american population but nearly 35% of the prison population. and so for me it's not a left or right issue. it is a how can we help issue and how can we continue to model the ethic of jesus christ.and it is not about sacrificing -- if we're going to do this, we've got to set aside petty politics and put our egos aside and find commonality between this issue of what you like and what i don't like. i believe that even if -- >> we're talking about donald trump here. you do know that, right? >> but wait a second. and i talk about in my op-ed
7:48 pm
piece, i've been on record of voicing issues that i've had with this administration, but i still believe that we ought to be able to find commonality to work for the good of other people. we have got to move beyond who we like and don't like because there are lives -- >> it's never about who we like and don't like. this is about working in a bipartisan way if we want to get something done. >> we've got two leaders. hold on, guys, all of you. >> okay. >> what i find -- and this is interesting because i hear this on my radio show all the time. i learn more by listening to people who are not in politics and not pundits like myself. i learn more from listening to other people, people of faith, people in business, than i do from people who are in that narrow lane of politics because you're living the real life.
7:49 pm
>> i don't live a real life, laura. >> i'm not trying to put down what you're saying. i'm just saying sometimes when you take it out of politics and you give it over to a higher power, good things can happen. not always, but good things can happen. and i want to now allow pastor scott to speak. go ahead. >> listen, gentleman such as -- whatever your name is. >> i was respectful to you. >> i didn't know your name so i said whatever it is. >> everybody be nice. >> duly noted. listen, you guys would rather this country fail than trump success. >> who are you guys? >> you. you then. i'll put it on you. you're talking about donald trump. you would rather the country fail than work together for donald trump to succeed. we're sitting there talking about prison reform to help prisoners and you're upset that people went in the room with him. >> i'm not upset.
7:50 pm
>> all right, guys. we're out of time but we're going to be covering prison reform for a couple of months at least. it looks like we'll actually accomplish something. we're going to bring you back. how out-of-control parents are fuelling a crisis in youth sports. oh, boy, look at that, next.
7:51 pm
7:52 pm
7:53 pm
[screaming] [bleep] [screaming] >> now, that's just a small sample of the absolutely ridiculous things some parents have done at youth sporting events recently. and the brunt of this increasingly harassment is being felt by the referee. the situation is so bad that 80% of high school referees are quitting within just three years. on this facebook page created by an oklahoma youth soccer referee is looking to change all that. he's offering bounties to anyone willing to give him a video. lou, it is great so see you.
7:54 pm
i'm so excited this football season is about to kick off. you and i are going to the michigan game together. i'm so excited. i'm thrilled. but i'm not thrilled to see parents completely getting out of control. is this something now or just because we have cell phone videos of it? >> i think it's because of our society, so to speak. the most important job a parent has is to prepare their children to make good can choices in life. i encourage you to go to games. i went to games for my children. however, i went there predominantly to be there thinking it's a life lesson you can teach them. life isn't always fair. the ball bounces the wrong way. and as far as the officials concerned, this is absolutely ridiculous. these official don't have children involved in this sport. they're giving their time and effort. and you always have to look at it from a different point of
7:55 pm
view. it depends upon which angle you look at this. they can't put the ball in the end zone. let's teach our children how to react to them when they do have a tragedy later on in their life later on, they know how to handle it. >> did you ever have parents come up to you and say, look, i know everything is on the line at every game, but you never play my son. he's fantastic. can't you give him a chance? do parents put pressure on you even at the college level? >> never once did i have that happen. but i always told the players this. you explain to your parents why you're not playing. their don't need to come to me. you can give them the answer. you know the things that need to be done. you explain this to them because if they come to me, i might be a little bit harsher than you will be if you explain it. if they have a problem and want to talk to me, i'm more than
7:56 pm
welcome. if i have somebody that's really working hard and wants to win and achieve something in life, it would be unfair for that individual for me to put somebody on the field who is not adequately prepared to do so. but this really bothers me about the parents because so many times they scream, they holler. i want to be there for my children when things didn't go well. when tim brown won the heisman, i went there to be with him if he did not win it. that's when people need guidance and above all, patience. >> i think part of this is parents trying to live vicariously through their kids. i played sports in high school and some in college. i love the team sports, but i don't think i'm vicariously trying to live my life through my kids. but i guess that could happen. and so they get frustrated when things don't go their way. >> these are people trying to live a second life through their children. you lived your life.
7:57 pm
let them live their life. your obligation is to prepare your children for life. and you don't do it by exhibiting temper and anger and frustration and blaming everybody else. it's always somebody else's fault. that's what's wrong with this society. let's be accountable for what happens. and the ball isn't always going to bounce your way. >> well, i'm going to see you at the michigan game. legendary coach lou holtz. thank you so much. oh, it's such an honor to talk to you. what a great guy, period. we'll be right back.
7:58 pm
7:59 pm
>> can you believe it? that's all the time we have left this evening. but i always like to hear from you over the weekend. follow me on twitter. tweet me @ingrahamangle.
8:00 pm
have a great weekend. awesome fly your flag. enjoy life. be happy. it's a trump economy. have a great weekend, everyone. good night from washington. >> this is a huge fox news alert, so stick with us. first a federal judge orders a total restart of the daca program, a major development for open-border advocates. we now await the trump administration's next move. we break down both sides of the argument. it's been called a stunning it can on the catholic church. freezing the foster care program, which is at this hour seeking emergency relief from the supreme court. and president head together ohio ahead of the state's nail-biter special election. democrats say they can smell a win in what they regard as a

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on