Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Night With Shannon Bream  FOX News  August 16, 2018 8:00pm-9:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
♪ god will ♪ he will take care ♪ >> this is a fox news alert. breaking news from the paul manafort trial. as the jury prepares to resume deliberations, they cut specific questions from the judge, at least one of those may be hunting where this is all heading. a special legal team standing ready. plus, hundreds of new papers launch scathing editorials against trump. we hear from editors from both sides. later, the president declares opioids from mexico and china are almost like a form of warfare. the cdc releases stunning new numbers about just how many americans are overdosing every single day. former dea special agent is back to talk about the links between
8:01 pm
terrorism and our growing drug crisis. hello and welcome to "fox news @ night." i'm shannon bream in washington. the jury is still out on trump's former campaign manager paul manafort. day one of deliberations undergo a series of questions for the judge and no verdicts. correspondent peter doocy was at the courthouse all they were manafort's defense team is calling it a good day. peter? >> shannon, a big part of the manafort defense team strategy during closing arguments was to remind the jury that the mueller team has to prove that paul manafort is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. tonight, the jury sent a note to the judge, tsl us, asking him to redefine "reasonable doubt." the judge brought everyone into the courtroom and he told them, that the government is not required to prove the defendant guilty beyond all possible doubt, but beyond all reasonable doubt. and the manafort defense team says they think that that favors their side. >> we just got some good news.
8:02 pm
the jury has been deliberating. they have some questions, which the judge addressed, and they asked to come back tomorrow to continue deliberations, so overall, very good day for mr. manafort. >> is a good sign they are asking about reasonable doubt? >> i think it's all a good sign, yes. >> the six man, woman jury deliberated for more than seven hours today, and at the end of the session, also asked women to my questions about key words the mueller team used over and over again making their case concerning shelf companies and foreign bank account of reports. the judge didn't really answer and told them to rely on their memory of the testimony to figure it out. the jury is also apparently encountering some difficulty leafing through mountains of evidence submitted by the mueller team because they also asked tonight if the judge could have different exhibits labeled better to more clearly mark which of the 18 counts each piece of evidence is related to, and the judge said no. a source close to the manafort
8:03 pm
defense team tells fox news, "we are in the game, the jury will come back tomorrow for day two of deliberation, first think about 9:30 a.m. in alexandria. shannon? we'll be there. the defense of sounding optimistic, so if the mueller team losing any sleep tonight? or legal experts and eyed commanders told many white-collar crime and security as a gurney, and harmeet dhillon, federal litigator and w welcome to you both pray >> happy to be here. >> shannon: you heard what peter reported with the attorney, the lead attorney for manafort saying, we have good news, asking the question about reasonable doubt, harmeet, what you make of this when a jury comes back out to the judge and says, we need for you to explain what reasonable doubt is? it's a key to their verdict. >> first of all, i will say that i think it's a folly to take anything necessarily from the questions, and he won his experience to know jurors will
8:04 pm
ask questions and sometimes you will predict it will go one way but it doesn't go that way. that said, it's a good sign, that particular question i think would weigh in favor of the manafort team, some of the other questions however, would portend trouble, details about the foreign bank account regulations come i think that was on, and on the other hand, the questions a, what are these exhibits and what do they relate to, i think it is a bad sign for the prosecution. these questions cut both ways. if i were a smart attorney on either side, i would not be sleeping very well tonight. >> shannon: you can't read too much into it, andrew, it is always the feeling that the longer the jury is out, the better days for the defense but they are asking some detailed questions, which makes it soundd in, 12 members, got to be unanimous. looking at 18 counts. what do you make of what we are from the jury? >> i think you have to look at their questions and the totality of what has taken place. a judge who has been borderline
8:05 pm
hostile to the prosecutors. you have prosecutors who have overreached with respect to what they have charged, they have also put on too many witnesses, introduced too many exhibits. i think when you look at those questions in the totality of everything that has taken place in this trial, i think that the jurors are leaning toward finding not guilty. we don't know what is going on in that deliberation room but this trial has seemed cursed from the very beginning. prosecutors have had unclean hands, i think they charged manafort because they wanted them to flip and testify against the president. he wasn't willing to do that and now what they have to prove the case, rather than trying it in the press, they are leasing. >> shannon: it was a pretty speedy, judging from the beginning has been cracking up to get this thing moving, they did it put anyone on, tough on their prosecution's key witness, rick gates, talking about how he had lied, stolen from manafort, had an affair or affairs, but here's what alan
8:06 pm
dershowitz is saying tonight about with the president or legal team should be hoping for. >> this is a little bit about trump and i think his biggest hope is therefore in northern virginia, maybe they will be one or two jurors who hold out or possibly that would be a hung jury. that would be a feat for the mueller probe. >> shannon: harmeet, not about collusion coming out about russia, financial crimes that had nothing to do with the trump campaign but we got to think both sides will try to claim victory whether he's acquitted or convicted, it will still be about mueller and the president will make this, i would guess, about whether or not he is an ascent or whether this has anything to do with russia. >> that's right. regardless of the outcome -- >> shannon: let start with harmeet. >> regardless of the outcome, i think the president is correct in what he has been saying, this is not about him at all, other than the prosecution itself of a decade old tax charge, definitely rocketing the president, manafort didn't flip, now they are pushing this to the
8:07 pm
end. again, i don't see how the prosecution wins when this is not going to the jury. so yes, they do have to be unanimous but it's 18 different counts. you can see us but verdict here where he gets convicted of one are two things but not the bulk of the charges because they didn't overdo it. >> shannon: andrew, before the trial started, the pretrial stuff, the judge said this is something to the effect that we know what this is about, you're trying to get to mr. manafort so you can set up some kind of impeachment or grid to the president, but today, my understanding is, giving instructions to the jury, he said, disregarding these suggestions that what the mueller team doing his political, well that jurors be able to separate the two? >> i don't think so. the jurors read the papers, they read the news, they are dialed in, and like i said earlier, this judge has been openly hostile toward the prosecutors from the beginning. so i think the greatest fear for mueller and his team is that if they don't convict in this case,
8:08 pm
this is going to embolden other defendants who are contemplating cooperating with mueller against the president to basically tell him, get lost, and i think it is going to take the wind out of mueller sales, i think it will be a problem. this case is a surrogate, a proxy, for what is taking place in d.c. between trump and mueller it will be fascinating. >> shannon: a trail here in washington on completely different charges that will happen in september, regardless of what happens with the story. tomorrow we go to the second tape deliberations and we will watch for that verdict. harmeet and andrew, thank you both. >> thank you, shannon. >> shannon: are other top story, newspapers across the country, hundreds, went on the offensive against president trump. the question is, is it going to backfire? correspondent kristin fisher starts our coverage. >> in addition to these hundreds of newspapers from across the country, and joining forces to condemn the president's attacks against them, today, the senate unanimously passed a resolution
8:09 pm
declaring that the price is not the enemy of the people. but neither of those things did anything to get the president to lower the temperature. in fact, he joked about it while speaking to the white house press corps at a cabinet meeting today. >> if you would like, you could stay, off we would like, you could also leave. freedom of the press. >> a not-so-subtle job at that more than 350 newspapers that published an editorial today defending first amendment rights in denouncing the presidents for the media. "the boston globe," which led the effort, wrote, "to label the of the enemy of the people is as un-american as it is dave rice. this of a contract we have shared for more than two centuries. the globe also took aim at the administration's use of the phrase alternative facts, they described as asking his audiences to follow him into "fantasia." >> just remember, what you are saying and what you are reading is not what is happening quite >> president trump pushed back by again saying that "the fake news media is the opposition
8:10 pm
party and the "global" is in collusion with other papers on repressed was quick. not all newspapers joined in, including "the wall street journal" and "the washington post." the "los angeles times" also decided not to participate, setting their need for editorial independence. "this is not because we don't believe that president trump has been engaged in cyclical, demagogic, and unfair assault on our injury, however, we would not want to leave the impression that we take our leave from others or that we engage in groupthink." indeed that is exactly a former white house press secretary ari fleischer is characterizing today's protest. >> asked the groupthink, the liberal think, how they all got the same way. >> there was one scared today, a bomb threat made of "the boston globe" but fortunately, shannon, that's all it was, a threat and nothing more. >> shannon: wish we didn't have to deal with those parades thank you so much. let's talk about this with our panel. the editorial page editor of the "miami herald," which ran a piece today calling on the president and his were on the
8:11 pm
free press. the opinion editor for the dessa retinues, which simply run the text of the first amendment, and functions politics editor, chris stirewalt. welcome to all of you. >> thank you. >> shannon: nancy, why did you feel it was important for the paper to join in this united call for the president to stop with his goading of the press? >> i think that if we do not stick up for the first amendment, then who will? it was an initiative not to change the hearts and minds of trump or trump supporters. i think that they are just too far gone. however, i think there was a big middle of america who are not as engaged in the political world as they should be coming out as engaged in the community, i think that they really need to understand what the first amendment means to them. >> shannon: boyd, that is what this is about. you didn't make comments. you ran the first amendment, simply the text of edge.
8:12 pm
what was behind that decision? >> as an independent voice, we didn't feel like we needed to pile on and be part of that, stand with that group. nor did we want to stand on the sidelines and do nothing. what we did is we ran the first amendment with a simple note of the bottom, "ditto," signed by the editorial board. we did that to send the message that this is about the principle, not about the president, the president does not own the first amendment, no is it about the press, too many in the press, especially the national press, have made this all about them. they don't own it, the president doesn't own it, the people own it, and we wanted to remind everybody that it is a principal that really is what united us as a nation and that is the most important thing in all of us. >> shannon: i will read something from "politico" about this united front. "it will provide trump with circumstantial evidence of the existence of a national press cabal that has been convened solely to oppose him. when the editorial's role at the press on thursday, all singing from the same script, trump will reap enough fresh material
8:13 pm
to wail on the media for at least a month." chris, have the jokes you joined us today, 350 plus papers, are they doing presidents work for him? >> i think newspapers have to be independent, they have to be free, they have to do what they think is right by their readers. i started in that business and i still think of themselves as a newspaperman, though it's been a long time. newspapers have to do what they think is right by their community. they can't either act or fail to act because of their fear of the president. they can't either act or fail to act because they are concerned about giving the president the ammunition. it is not about coming up with a political strategy. these newspaper editorial pages that should not be engaging in a political strategy. they should be engaging in free expression of ideas and the free exchange of ideas for the communities they serve. >> shannon: chris, do you think that they are feeding into exactly what he is saying? they are following exactly into his trap where he says, these people are against me, and now
8:14 pm
he will say, look up a 300 plus papers, they are proving what i've told you all along? >> it doesn't matter what newspapers do. donald trump will say they say things about what he does all the time. the price is his preferred opponent from he will continue to attack the press, he will continue to attack the press, every day he is president. what i'm saying is, newspapers should not make any choice about what it they are going to do based on trying to either carry his favor or incur his plane. they ought to be clear-eyed about where they are doing. >> shannon: nancy, i want to put up a number from gallup. they ask about confidence at different institutions, supreme court, congress, everything else. ask about whether you have a great deal of confidence in newspapers. in 2016, when the president was elected, it was at 8%, ticked up in 20 to 11%, and then a ticked up to 12%. it looks like we are -- right newspapers are concerned, people do have a growing confidence despite many of you said you are under attack by this administration. >> i think the attacks in the press, trump's attacks on the
8:15 pm
press, have indeed some people looking for credible information, information that they can believe. let's be clear. distrust in the press predates trump. however, he has exacerbated, he has really ginned up a lot of hostility among his base against the media. the terms that he uses can presage violence, physical attacks, we've seen the t-shirts that say "rope, tree, journalist." this was really not about the president. the president's words were the springboard for what was a collaborative effort. it was a collaborative effort, not one of collusion. blech we are independent, but at the end of the day, we also have to read each other's backs. >> shannon: nancy, what you make about comments from a number of folks like maxine
8:16 pm
waters, democratic congress one saying you should be confronting people at every place they go, you should be harassing, those kinds of things? something a problem on both sides? >> i don't think -- well, as an editorial page editor, i know that that is a something that we have not supported. it's not anything we've written about but it's not harassment t also feeds into the hostile atmosphere that both sides are dumb i can be victims of braid >> shannon: boyd, there was acts commentary, the numbers for key newspapers like "the new york times" company say there is something called the trump bulb, revenue and subscriptions are up there more that he her rings and goes after these papers. what do you make of that? >> i do think that people are looking for credible information. excuse me. >> shannon: thank you, nancy. final question to boyd. >> i do think that people are hungry for the information, i think the american people are
8:17 pm
ready to engage, the american people recognize of the delicate dance between the press and the president have always been difficult. currently it is more cage match and full contact then dance. people recognize that it the press needs to be bold, noble, and independent. bold, strong opinions, america is at its best rebate, roiling, open debates. it needs to be noble, respect, when we talk about aretha franklin, needs to be independent. if we can get to bold, noble, and independent, both in terms of the way the president treats the press, also the way the trust. the president, we will have much more elevated dialogue in the country, and we will get two more solutions because the rhetoric may be good for ratings and a lot of folks, but it doesn't get us any closer to the real solutions and the issues we need to be talking about is a country. that is the bottom line. >> shannon: a lot of people are thirsty and hungry for that. nancy, boyd, chris, thank you, all, for this conversation. >> thanks, shannon.
8:18 pm
>> shannon: breaking tonight, the pentagon said it is postponing it on the extra the military parade president trump requested the day before veterans day in november of this year. the decision to postpone the parade coming after any reports at the cost have skyrocketed to upwards of $80 million, far higher than originally estimated. democrats working through their internal family feud tonight, as the president's economic team moves markets higher and his approval ratings on that along with them. new reactions and i to chelsea clinton tying economic growth and women entering the workforce to abortion. >> that is not disconnected from the fact that roe became the lawful end of january of 1973. >> shannon: the backlash to that is coming fast and furious. plus, inside the case of the accused ices murderer who allegedly used our asylum system to evade justice until now. >> a classic example of the
8:19 pm
vulnerabilities in a refugee system. ♪ protect it today. like alerting you to certain card activity we find suspicious. if it's not your purchase, we'll help you resolve it. it's a new day at wells fargo. but it's a lot like our first day. the first survivor of alzis out there.ase and the alzheimer's association is going to make it happen. but we won't get there without you. join the fight with the alzheimer's association.
8:20 pm
8:21 pm
bring you the fall hunting classic - with great deals. like savings of 40% on redhead silent hide camo shirts and pants. and save $130 on this garmin handheld gps. well, esurance makes finding the right coverage easy. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call.
8:22 pm
>> shannon: new tonight, the vatican is responding with "shame and sorrow" to a report out of pennsylvania alleging hundreds of priests abused over a thousand children. the grand jury report made public also accuses a so-called
8:23 pm
predator priests and church officials of covering up the allegations. the vatican says the abuses described in the report are criminal and morally reprehensible. former first daughter chelsea clinton is protesting president trump's supreme court nominee by claiming that he poses a threat to abortion and that legalized abortion has been great for the economy. tonight, pro-life advocates are slamming that argument, saying the numbers show just the opposite. who is right? trace gallagher pick start from here. hi, trace braid >> at the rise up for roe even to new york, chelsea clinton was addressing fears of president trump's nominee, brett kavanaugh, to the supreme court, could throughout roe vs. wade. her main argument was that people should care about equal rights and the dignity of women to make their own choices but if that argument is not persuasive, clinton then appeared to add a financial incentive. watch. >> american women entering the labor force, from 19722009,
8:24 pm
added three and half trillion dollars to our economy. then at new entrance of women, that is not disconnected from the fact that roe became law of the land in january of 9073. >> we don't know where chelsea clinton got those numbers but from pro-life organizations, they took her to task braid life news.com argued that since 1967, there have been 67 million u.s. abortions, half of them women, and instead of adding 3.5 to to the economy is becaue they $62 trillion deficit. the ethics and public policy center has been arguing for 17 years that abortion has been devastating to the economy and has also led to higher crime rates and divorce. like charles equipped his comments, the pro-life numbers have also not been confirmed. but evangelists and conservatives are not nearly as worried about the accuracy of clinton's claim as the fact that she said it. franklin graham went on twitter to respond, courting, "what a
8:25 pm
lie. hitler probably also claimed that killing the jews would be good for their economy." then, a slavery comparison, "always and without fail, the arguments of the abortion movement in the united states mirror the arguments of slave owners, both are grave evils." chelsea clinton quickly responded directly back to him, "hi, protecting reproductive health rights is first about protecting women's human rights and health from 1973 to 1985, america remains death from abortions declined five fold." she contends her initial words have been misrepresented, though, it's unclear exactly how. shannon? >> shannon: thank you for separating fact from fiction. a member of isis, accused cold blooded killer, has been arrested in california, according to charging documents filed in san francisco. as national correspondent william la jeunesse reports, this case is ringing the alarm bells about how this man was
8:26 pm
able to settle right here in the u.s. >> he was an active member of ices in its heyday. >> and what is being called one of the most significant arrests of an accused ices terrorist in the u.s., law enforcement swarmed a sacramento apartment wednesday, looking for this man. omar ameen, who according to prosecutors, was a hit man for isis and al qaeda. >> he's accused by the iraqi government under the isis flag as an ices operative of cold-blooded murder of. >> court documents seeing ameen, driving a pickup mounted with a gun and a black isis flag killed an iraqi police men. five months later, he entered the u.s. as a refugee, despite was allegedly a thorough screening process. >> a classic example of the vulnerabilities in our refugee system. >> it depends largely on the victim's story, not documentation. when he applied, he claimed isis
8:27 pm
killed his father for cooperating with the u.s. in fact, court records say his father died of a blood clot. ameen claimed he never killed anyone. fbi agents found at least eight witnesses who identified a ameen that has families committed fanatics who planted ieds tickle coalition forces braid >> that refugee application was repleted misrepresentation. >> the trump administration imposed a travel ban last year over concerns terrorist code for the screening process. a former war crimes investigator says this case shows they weren't wrong. >> it really vindicates the administration's reasoning behind implementing the travel ban. >> ameen could be extradited to iraq next week. the first known use of a 1934 treaty between the two countries. he faces death of convicted. shannon? >> shannon: william, thank you very much. wyoming bucking the shocking national trend on drug overdose
8:28 pm
death. what clues get the rest of the country gained from that state as the new numbers reach stunning highs? record levels. the president hannah's economic team, stock store. what is next in a trade tussle. challenger emerges to nancy pelosi. at the democrats take the house, will she be the one to leave? we'll ask. next. ♪ you're a nincompoop! (phone ping) gentlemen, i have just received word! the louisiana purchase, is complete! instant purchase notifications from capital one. so you won't miss a purchase large, small, or very large. technology this helpful...could make history. what's in your wallet?
8:29 pm
be right back. with moderate to severe crohn's disease, i was there, just not always where i needed to be. is she alright? i hope so. so i talked to my doctor about humira. i learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of crohn's disease after trying other medications. and the majority of people on humira saw significant symptom relief and many achieved remission in as little as 4 weeks. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you, and them. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
8:30 pm
the chili pepper sweat-out. not cool. freezing away fat cells with coolsculpting? now that's cool! coolsculpting safely freezes and removes fat cells with little or no downtime. and no surgery. results and patient experience may vary. some common side effects include temporary numbness, discomfort,and swelling. ask your doctor if coolsculpting is right for you and visit coolsculpting.com today for your chance to win a free treatment.
8:31 pm
timeit should be measuredsured byby how long steak & lobster is back at outback. back by popular demand, steak & lobster starting at $15.99! and time...is limited, so hurry in today. outback steakhouse. aussie rules. when you barely clip a tpassing car.
8:32 pm
minor accident - no big deal, right? wrong. your insurance company is gonna raise your rate after the other car got a scratch so small you coulda fixed it with a pen. maybe you should take that pen and use it to sign up with a different insurance company. for drivers with accident forgiveness liberty mutual won't raise their rates because of their first accident. liberty mutual insurance. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty ♪ >> shannon: this is a fox news alert. today, officials they knew, tougher sanctions over awaiting turkey if that country does not immediately free detained american pastor andrew brunson. it looks like the u.s. is getting closer to a potential breakthrough with china on the tree dispute. fox business network's edward lawrence is here and moving markets. >> good evening, shannon. the dow searched for the largest gain in four months. part of that was trade news. one year ago today, we started
8:33 pm
renegotiating nafta. u.s. trade representative robert lighthizer told the president today at the cabinet meeting, we are very close to a deal with the mexicans. >> in terms of nafta, right now, we are meeting with the mexicans, literally, as we sit here, and i am hopeful that in the next several days, we'll have a breakthrough. there are still some difficult issues to work on, as there always are at the end the end. >> i guess the mexican economy minister by having a deal at the end of the week. >> robert lighthizer told the president that we will have a deal in the next few days. >> we'll see. we'll see. you know, always, the devil in the details. we have to make sure that everything has been taken care of. >> hurdles that could be worked out. the other part of the stock surge was news about china wanting to come back to the table. the chinese delegation, including the chinese vice minister, will meet u.s. officials on the treasury department to try to de-escalate the escalating trade dispute.
8:34 pm
>> we are talking to china, they very much want to talk, they are just not able to give us a deal that is acceptable. so we are not going to do any deal until we get one that is fair to our country. >> the shanghai composite, the index of the stock market in china, is down about 18% this year, while our s&p is up 6.25. you can see the urgency that the chinese are coming to the table now. shannon? >> shannon: edward lawrence, thank you very much. house minority leader nancy pelosi facing leadership challenges from younger, marker progressive candidates, and new tonight, one of her most loyal, senior acolytes says he will step in if she is forced to step aside for a leland vittert to digs into the potential pelosi revolt freight >> only in this case, if she is forced aside, wl somebody who is a good friend stepan. nancy pelosi says it's too early to have the conversation about who will be a speaker and she says she is focused on running back the house for democrats. ask some democrats, though, and
8:35 pm
they'll tell you she might be the reason they want win. >> i've already set on the front page of the newspaper that i don't support nancy pelosi. >> this ad propelled democratic conor lamb in a trump-friendly pennsylvania, now kathy manning is trying it in a north carolina g.o.p. leaning house district. >> i'll vote against nancy pelosi for speaker. >> in her home state of california, "the sacramento bee" wrote in an editorial, "as of the republican party is now clearly a party of donald trump, the democratic party cannot be seen as the party of nancy pelosi and win in november." 1110 congressman elijah cummings, with loyalty but mike puts loyalty pelosi seemingly above all. >> i would bet everything i have that she will be >> . >> at 78 years old, pelosi would be tied as the oldest baker ever elected. the third ranking democrat, jim clyburn, says if she doesn't have the votes, he would run for speaker. he's 78.
8:36 pm
has minority web steny hoyer a 79. that gives the top three house democrats a combined age nearly as old as the republic itself, a fact not lost on the nine current democratic house members who say they wouldn't support pelosi for speaker or the 46 house democratic candidates who feel the same way. republican congressional candidates continue to find success if they can to find any democrat as a pelosi lackey. they just up the former speaker continues to dig in her heels despite younger democrats wanti. no question, though, in terms of how powerful pelosi is as a fund-raiser for the dnc and a lot of these candidates in heavily blue districts. >> shannon: when she is challenged, she is very confident, she is a master legislator, she knows how to raise the funds, and she seems confident that if they retake the house, she's not going anywhere. >> just ask her. >> shannon: lee lynn, thank you. so as minority leader pelosi is in jeopardy?
8:37 pm
was asked democratic congressman david cicilline. thank you for joining us. >> my pleasure. >> shannon: you heard the reporting about "the sacramento bee" ," saying, "the republican party is the party of donald trump. the democratic party cannot be seen as the party of democrat nancy pelosi and win in november. the san francisco democrat must put her party and country had of her personal ambition and declare that she will not take the speakership again." where do you come down on this? >> i think one thing is very clear, what motors are interested in is voting for people who are going to fight for them, who will drive down the cost of health care, who will create good paying jobs and raise family incomes, who will enter the pervasive corruption in washington. my constituents haven't asked at all, they don't care who the democratic leader is. what they care about, this election is about who is fighting for the people of who is fighting for the special interests. if we are privileged to go to the majority, we'll have caucus
8:38 pm
and we'll elect our leaders. in this country, the democrats elect their leader, the republicans elect their leader. one of the reasons we see republicans talking about this a lot on places like fox, being very honest, is because republicans don't have anything to run on. they did a tax bill that provided 83% of the tax cuts to the top 1%, 85 million working families want to see an increase, created $2 trillion deficit, they don't have an agenda. >> shannon: let stop for a second because those that are for tax policy, nonpartisan, if anything, people think it leans to the left, so that 85% of americans were getting a break, heritage, conservative leaning foundation, they did a map of the entire united states and said it in every single correct all my congressional district, the average taxpayer will get more money back on their taxes. a couple of other numbers by the gallup poll at how the president is doing on various issues, they fit him on the economy, he is now above water, 50% approve, 47
8:39 pm
disapprove. people say they does feel they are doing well. how can you say that there were republicans can't run on the economy? >> shannon, let's be clear. 83% of that tax cut went to the top 1%, the richest people in this country. that is a fact. 85 million working families will see a tax increase over the life of that tax bill. 13 million americans -- >> shannon: some of these numbers aren't -- >> let me finish. $2 trillion is what the tax cut costs and the republic's are saying we have to have to get medicare, medicaid, social security. the american people know that which is why this is wildly unpopular and why they were republicans are not talking about that and they are talking about nancy pelosi. >> shannon: they are talking about the economy, those are hard facts, not my opinion or anyone else's, its facts. think it was nonworking for everybody. no question other people at the talk have benefited freight >> shannon: 85% of americans will get a break. >> the bureau of labour statistics released a report on
8:40 pm
friday, wages are down over that same period, so the problem is, the people of the top are making out great but working families have seen their wages remain stagnant, there is no wage increase, and the cost of health care is going up, cost of out-of-pocket expenses, and the republicans are in court this very month trying to take away coverage for pre-existing conditions. what this election is going to be about is who is fighting -- >> shannon: the majority of americans say they are feeling better about -- >> the president's approval ratings are historically low. >> shannon: on the economy. >> i don't think there is any question on employment as well, job creation, obviously, built on the economy, the last eight years under obama, i don't think there is dispute. the problem is, the economy is not working for everybody. wages are not going up, too many families are struggling to get by. what democrats are focused on is how do we raise family income, how do we reduce the cost in
8:41 pm
people's lives from child care to health care, college education, how do we make sure folks have the skills necessary for the jobs in the 21st century? democrats are fighting for the people of this country. they see the republicans fighting for the powerful special interests, lobbyists, the influence, the folks in washington, and that tax bill was a reflection of that. >> shannon: again, the numbers, not by our calculations, showing the vast majority of americans have benefited in some way and the poll numbers saying that the president gets the credit for that. i understand that you have talking points -- >> shannon, if you get a modest and temporary tax cut but your health care premiums go up and the cost of many other things in your life go up, you don't end up preventing, i think people know that, which is why the american people overwhelmingly don't think they got a good deal, they think there rich folks made out well, the republican donors, lobbyists. they were written in the side of the bill. you had people who said my
8:42 pm
donors and said, if we don't pass the bill, they want to be more money. >> shannon: we deliberately american people to crunch those numbers. come back soon, congressman. the president puts pressure on the attorney general, jeff sessions, to go after opioid makers, at the same time as administration is under pressure for tougher sentences on drug dealers. a sinister new possibilities after yesterday's mass overdose in new haven park. >> when you affect such a large population, they are really trying to harm people. >> shannon: former dea special agent is here straight ahead to answer those questions and more about this terrible epidemic. -morning. -morning. -what do we got? -keep an eye on that branch. might get windy. have a good shift. fire pit. last use -- 0600. i'd stay close. morning. ♪ get ready to switch.
8:43 pm
protected by flo. should say, "protected by alan and jamie." -right? -should it? when you bundle home and auto... run, alan! ...you get more than just savings. you get 'round-the-clock protection. ♪ ♪ they're the moderne thstone age family. ♪ ♪ from the town of bedrock. ♪ meet george jetson. ♪ ♪ his boy elroy. with instant acceleration, electric cars are more fun to drive and more affordable than ever. electric cars are here. plug into the present. lojust use priceline.ls on travel? you can save up to 60% on hotels.
8:44 pm
that's like $120 a night back in your pocket. go to priceline to get deals you won't find anywhere else. and butch.aura. and tank. and tiny. and this is laura's mobile dog grooming palace. laura can clean up a retriever that rolled in foxtails, but she's not much on "articles of organization." articles of what? so, she turned to legalzoom. they helped me out. she means we helped with her llc, trademark, and a lot of other legal stuff that's a part of running a business. so laura can get back to the dogs. would you sit still? this is laura's mobile dog grooming palace and this is where life meets legal.
8:45 pm
at ally, we're doing digital financial services right. but if that's not enough, we have more than 8000 allys looking out for one thing: you. call in the next ten minutes... and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every dollar. put down the phone. and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every cent. grab your wallet. (beeping sound) (computer voice) access denied. and if that's still not enough to help you save...
8:46 pm
oh the new one! we'll bring out the dogs. mush! (dogs barking) the old one's just fine! we'll do anything, seriously anything, to help our customers. thanks. ally. do it right. >> i would also like to ask you to bring a major lawsuit against the drug companies on opioids. i would like a lawsuit to be brought against these companies that are really sending opioids at a level that -- it shouldn't be happening. >> shannon: the president's cabinet meeting, telling his attorney general to go after opioid makers and manufacturers. the overdoses you thought new haven, that was not about opioids, with the powerful pictures serve as a pointed reminder about the overall drug crisis. former dea agent in charge of special operations, derek maltz, here to a n. derek, great to have you back you looked at numerous
8:47 pm
connections. what are we looking at now? >> we are looking at millions of dollars. the united states, from gas stations, bodegas, going back to yemen. yemen is a poor country and we have radical people that are starting fund-raising drives around the world looking for funding. i mean, crime is generating so much money, these terrorist groups needs money to operate. >> shannon: you look to the links between narco terrorism and the fact that there are people sending us garbage, were they know there's a problem, is a form of jihad against the u.s. >> it's a jihad against the west and a 2 for 1 special. if i'm a bad guy and i can make multi-hundreds of millions of dollars and kill americans and destroy families, that is big win for us. as a bad guy. >> shannon: "the washington post," looking at the cdc numbers, had this to say, "drug overdose does surpass 27,000 people in 2017, according to professional estimates.
8:48 pm
an increase of more than 6,000 deaths or 9.5 percent over the estimate for the previous year." this doesn't show signs of abating, truly a national emergency. >> not only health emergency, it has a serious national security implications. when you are talking about bodegas and convenience stores involved with the ebt fraud, ripping off the welfare system, counterfeit drugs, sending millions of dollars back to yemen to support radical terrorists, that is a serious thing. to have families just ride around america, dropping like zombies, scenes in the "night of the living dead," like new haven, a block from a dea office, we have kids falling down, homeless, they are marketing this to the homeless because it's so cheap. it is like they are putting poison in their stuff and they start asking yourself, why do you have the deaths at chicago? our nation's capital? 300 people. the first responders now are
8:49 pm
tied up picking up the zombies, bringing them to the hospitals, our doctors, nurses, our services, are consumed, firefighters. if you saw the news in d.c. combinations capital, just last month, you had fire departments and police, emergency warning some of the fda put out a warning on the blood supply because everybody had no guinness poison. it's synthetic marijuana, it's poison from china. that's another part of this story. it's almost like chemical warfare against america because they are putting funds in all all over our country and they are putting this poisonous compound, spraying it on leaf material, and giving it to our kids in our communities. >> shannon: be on the normal dangers which are so dramatically negative, when you're looking at people, risking their lives for something it's recreational. derek, thank you for making the connections for us and i hope you will come back because it's not going away. >> thank you.
8:50 pm
>> shannon: tonight "midnight hero," the world is mourning the loss of one of the most incredible voices of our time. aretha didn't just sing about respect, she talked about it, her words, next. ♪ because he hid his customers' gold in a different box. and the bandits, well, they got rocks. we protected your money then and we're dedicated to helping protect it today. like alerting you to certain card activity we find suspicious. if it's not your purchase, we'll help you resolve it. it's a new day at wells fargo. but it's a lot like our first day. i never count the wrinkles. and i don't add up the years. but what i do count on... is staying happy and healthy. so, i add protein, vitamins and minerals to my diet with boost®. new boost® high protein nutritional drink now has 33% more
8:51 pm
high-quality protein, along with 26 essential and minerals your body needs. all with guaranteed great taste. the upside- i'm just getting started. boost® high protein be up for life
8:52 pm
8:53 pm
8:54 pm
>> shannon: it is time tonight for our midnight hero. a paralyzed veteran accomplishes what doctors told him would not be possible. 31-year-old navy veteran was able to stand up and walk thanks to new technology. he's wearing an exoskeleton, provided by soldiers as strong, a group that donates a life changing suits. he says he's been giving a sense of independence back and now he has hope for the future. hero either way. she wants that if she could inspire people, she's done her job played it safe to say she did that and much more. aretha franklin died today. she was 76 years old. but her influence, far from over. with 18 grammies and more than 70 hits on the billboard hot 100, her six decade career is almost impossible to match. she was the first room on to make it into the rock 'n' roll hall of fame and she took a little song called "respect," originally written from the respect of a man demanding respect from his wife, she flipped it, turning it into an anthem for women and as the queen of soul herself put it a
8:55 pm
few years ago, "just about everybody." >> it was kind of, as you say, a woman's anthem, a battle cry, a mantra. but everyone wants respect, everyone needs respect, from the young, to the very old, and in the middle, male, female, we all want respect, and we all want to be appreciated. so it's pretty much means the same thing to me now that it did then. >> shannon: and that is such a good message for all of us in the midst of the environment we find ourselves in today. a little respect for each other. we want to leave you with some more of her music tonight, the queen of soul. in the meantime, most-watched, most trusted, most grateful you spent the evening with us. good night from washington. i'm shannon bream. more of aretha franklin. ♪ ♪ you make me feel like a
8:56 pm
natural woman ♪ ♪ you better think about it before you turn the key ♪ ♪ think about it before you sit in the driver's seat ♪ ions from capital one . technology this helpful... could make history. what's in your wallet?
8:57 pm
the first survivor of alzis out there.ase and the alzheimer's association is going to make it happen. but we won't get there without you. join the fight with the alzheimer's association.
8:58 pm
8:59 pm
well, esurance makes it simple and affordable. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. paying too much for insurance that isn't the right fit? well, esurance makes finding the right coverage easy.
9:00 pm
in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved an average of $412. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. ♪ ♪ >> ♪ ♪ >> tucker: welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." former cia director john brennan lied to the american people multiple times. his irresponsible, he's accused of political opponents of treason, a death penalty offense without offering any evidence at all. above all, he is vocal. he has shouted his views on every possible political topic as is his right. giving his opinion is his job now, he's a cable news pundits. yesterday the trump administration finally revoked his security clearance. why was he able to keep it after

46 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on