Skip to main content

tv   The Ingraham Angle  FOX News  September 5, 2018 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
>> is like the dumbest man to ever be secretary of state. giving those that hate us 150 million in cash, he's an idiot. let not your heart be troubled. laura, i don't want to talk tonight. >> i don't want to steal your time, you're not going to steal mine. i heard you were's stealing tucker's time. >> i have to tease you, people are looking forward to that every night. you had a great show as always. talk to you soon. welcome to "the ingraham angle," i'm laura ingraham. very busy night in the nation's capital. trees and that's what the president's response was to an anonymous op-ed written by a senior administration official who claims there is a resistance movement inside the white house. counselor to the president kellyanne conway will be here and moments to react. but first, journalism, r.i.p.
7:01 pm
that's the focus of tonight's angle. this is what it's come to. the once revered in "new york times," the paper of record has now become the paper of rumor. as part of its unrelenting vendetta against president trump times today published a column by someone whom they do not identify. the senior trump staffer under the cloak of anonymity spends a wildly unflattering tale of a president supposedly unhinged from reality making impulsive decisions that supposedly blindside and frustrate, top officials and damage control. almost on cue, the press went wild. >> in a stunning new op-ed in "the new york times," top officials excoriate the president and reveal the resistance locked within the trump team trying to protect the country from the commander in
7:02 pm
chief. >> it is an extraordinary piece in "the new york times" that really backs up bob woodward's book. >> the column in "the new york times" is extraordinary. >> i've never seen anything like this in modern presidential history. >> this is incredibly unusual and almost unprecedented. >> laura: okay. i'm sorry, i just watched them and it's like the roadrunner and the coyote all over again. the gist of the piece, by the way it is that you the people are lucky that trump is checked by a noble band of staffers, the writer included of course. they refer to themselves as part of the resistance. the column further alleges that the root of the problem is the president's amorality. he he is not more to any discernible principles. >> while america first is either too difficult a concept for the economist to understand or he just disagrees with that
7:03 pm
altogether. the president's agenda was clearly laid out in the campaign and pursued aggressively in his first 20 months in office. lower taxes, less regulation, stronger border enforcement, less military interventionism and fairer trade deals. and let's not forget his pledge to appoint judges who are faithful to their article three duties under the constitution. brett kavanaugh comes to mind. if mr. or ms. anonymous loathes the the trump agenda so much then he or she has no business being in the white house. this is not a loyal public servant, this is a disgruntled employee, part of the failed g.o.p. establishment that lost power and now wants it back by any means necessary. anonymous is a mole and a fraud. you know, this has the feel of the flimflam array of the stee,
7:04 pm
doesn't it? and as with the dossier the american people have no way of judging the veracity of its outlandish and defamatory claims. so we are supposed to just take the word of trump's adversaries, no questions asked. how convenient. the column is rife with all these dramatic flourishes intended to titillate and feed the media beast, like this line. the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health health our republic. what about his actions? policies that have improved the lives of millions of americans, including african-americans, latino americans, women, small business owners, et cetera, et cetera. is all that detrimental to the republic? anonymous claims he wants the president to be successful and does admit some of these accomplishments. but he insists that these successes have come despite, not
7:05 pm
because of, the president's leadership style which is impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective. okay, sure. trump can be impatient and loses his cool and he can be frustrated as all of us are with the pace of washington. and of course also with the media. big whoop. and if i had to guess, and i'm just guessing here, i would say that somewhere along the line mr. no-name probably had his little feelings hurt by the president. two words. man up. if you think so highly of yourself and really stand by your claims, stepped forward and identify yourself. the kicker in this piece is when anonymous claims that the cabinet officials so distraught by the president even toyed with the idea of invoking the 25th amendment. this blared across all of cable news. it lays out the path for removal
7:06 pm
of the president in cases of "an ability, which has never been defined or tested. the idea that the 25th amendment whatever be used is really hard to contemplate at that point. why would a political and pointy is from every agency and say we talked about invoking the 25th amendment and what did you see? >> thank you, william o douglas. well make no mistake, this is part of a persistent drumbeat. it started in the wake of the election, the deep state with its faceless nameless sources launch their own internal campaign against trump. then, the beat was taken up by everyone from michael wolfe to even the esteemed bob woodward. the president should be judged by his policies and the results that he delivers for the american people. not by the embittered tales of a would-be whistle-blower hiding behind the skirts of the great
7:07 pm
lady. and that's the angle. joining me now for reaction, white house counselor to the president, excuse me, and my friend of too many years, kellyanne conway. this is wild. i have never seen this and i've been in town for 30 years, you've escaped to new york for a while that i've been in this town a long time. an anonymous staffer stripes sf some relationship to "the new york times" and they are convinced to pen this op-ed. what are your thoughts? >> i'm not sure it matters, there are op-eds like that every day in "the new york times," but i have to correct the record that it's not clear to us in any way that it someone in the white house. it says senior administration official, that could be many people. there are thousands of political appointees and hundreds of folks that would qualify for that title alone. to your point, presidents aren't judged by the noise or even the silence that is occurring at any
7:08 pm
one moment or any one week. they are judged by the metrics. when i hear people on cable news, even in your montage, i hadn't seen any of it before now. say words like a story, unprecedented and stunning, that's the way we describe the economy. that's the way -- this is an historically and unprecedented economic boom time. the democrats would take that away, and he knows that because you saw the president today respond the way many of us who have the privilege of working in the white house see him respond all the time, not fuming, not infuriated, not isolated. he took it right to what was already a planned event with the sheriffs, lined up to thank this president for being law enforcement. making sure they have the resources and the respect they deserve and he took it out of his pocket, read his statement and push back on his op-ed. >> any of the things in this
7:09 pm
op-ed rang true at all in the slightest? >> what rings true to me, is that people are trying to have it both ways. they want to serve in the government and they are attending they are somehow protecting the country from donald trump. >> but this is -- we have a very small presidential office compared to obama, like half the staffers last time i checked. >> it really depends who it is. >> but we've always been concerned from the beginning that there were people in this administration who did not buy into the trump agenda. look down upon it, we could thwart the agenda whether it's the wall, and we are kind of laughing at the agenda. i was worried about it and i walked by like minded people who were there from the very beginning were still worried about it. >> it really depends who it is but i also think that's not particularly relevant. meaning, who it is. but what i want to say is --
7:10 pm
>> laura: it could be someone in the west wing. and that's a problem. >> it would be a problem and here's what i want to say. the president said something today that really rang true. "the new york times" apologized to its readers because they got the election story wrong. but he said he many people don't understand how he got here and what he's done since he got here and what it all means to people. and that's incredibly important because look at the history from capitol hill yesterday, look at that difference between people trying to protest and it disrupted look at the hearing or a qualified individual who today schooled some senators on the constitution. who put him there? that is a product of donald trump decision-making processes. and so speaking of the speakers, they came to these meetings that they are going -- the house is
7:11 pm
going to vote on making permanent the individual tax cuts. they are saying they should invoke this amendment, they are continuing with the president's agenda. >> with his drumbeat, and with woodward they are well respected. by the way, i don't know if you guys caught onto this but this is one of the goofiest goofiest things i've ever seen. this is a transcript of a call that says nothing, or the president i think is actually a really cool and woodward is saying, it's probably going to be a lousy book. anyway, as a part where he talks about kelly and, and it's so idiotic, but who cares. i have to play for you something that john kerry, former secretary of state democrat obviously, obama, said that tonight on cnn. let's watch. >> this is a genuine constitutional crisis. this is a moment where it's a
7:12 pm
crisis of conscience for people in the united states senate on the other side of the aisle where they have been willing to be more protective of their chairmanships and their party, of their president than they have of their constitution and the institutions themselves. >> constitutional crisis, but you see this building, from whether it's goofy omarosa or woodward, to michael wolfe, he goes on and on. >> there are rumors that john kerry wants to run and lose again for president, that's his right. he can do that. joe biden wants to do the same thing, he saw a lot of the 20/20 trying to embarrass brett kavanaugh but they really embarrass themselves and people who are there protesting on their behalf. the one thing i don't see in the woodward book is russia collusion. why is that relevant? he didn't say he was out. the media spent more time on that story, and in other words
7:13 pm
if you are a journalist who took down richard nixon, if you are deeply respected in many corners in washington, d.c., wouldn't someone who had evidence of that come to you? but that's important, because they are going to say why did she talk about that? because when they have nothing to say they move to the next -- >> you did an interview with woodward, right? >> yes early on when he came to the white house and then a year and a half later or so i went to have lunch and find out about the book and, i am of course aboveboard about that. i actually told the president directly above board. >> i don't like people who go to their car and write memos to the file like comey. i don't like people who write anonymous op-eds because it's a loser bill. it's people who are afraid to put their names.
7:14 pm
you step forward and actually use your name. >> that's why so much of the book is not new, it's a fourth consecutive book that i can see where certain people are trying to feed their own emotions and egos about how brilliant they were on the campaign. so that's a little tired. what i wanted to tell you, too, i think, and in that call is important because woodward said he tried six or at seven different people to get an interview with the president. so i said would you please get the president all the names because the only one he knows it is mine and i don't think that's been revealed yet. many accounts, it's very disappointing that some people went on the record and, general jones in obama's white house, he left after the woodward book came out about obama. because he was an essay and national security. the >> laura: we are out of time but the first week of the
7:15 pm
administration, there started to be leaks. >> while the leakers are in difficult to figure out though. and the president knows how i feel about this. people who say they never talk the media, they hate the media, so afraid to go on "the ingraham angle," and the other category is people who never get bad press. which obviously isn't you are me. >> laura: thanks for coming in. i thought it was just a fascinating conversation with bob woodward. >> you and i are not anonymous. >> laura: i know. there were fireworks at brett kavanaugh's nomination hearing with protesters still spouting off and democrats still trying to make a name for themselves. >> i am prepared to ask the
7:16 pm
committee and to suspend furthr hearings until you have disclosed everything. >> what we have heard is the noise of democracy. this is what happens in a free country when people can stand up and speak and it not be jailed, or imprisoned, tortured or killed because of it. >> for all of you who support this, it is un-american. >> it is unprecedented for a supreme court nominee to be named by a president who is an unindicted coconspirator. >> laura: oh, my gosh. joining me now with reaction is at lindsey graham. republican from south carolina. i think the news cycle took over the confirmation for the most part today. but the tact tactics continued and interruptions continued. i was on the radio hosting my show and it was just one after
7:17 pm
the other. the gallery was finally cleared? i would have cleared it yesterday. >> talking about books, somebody should write a book on how not to handle opposition to a person being confirmed for supreme court. the shouting says all you need to know, if you have something to say you normally don't need to shout. personality and processes what we are talking about here tonight regarding president trump. we are not talking about the results he has achieved for the american people. we are not talking about kavanaugh because he's one of the most qualified people of your generation, you are a lawyer, the sky is brilliant. at the end of the day the vote won't matter and the article matter but kavanaugh will because people will look and see what happens if you get a conservative president. get a well-qualified limited judicial activist judge. >> more than eight of the federal branches have now been appointed by donald trump. >> mitch mcconnell has been
7:18 pm
great. speak 6 feet your heart out. he's going to get confirmed. this is all an exercise in futility. i can't wait to see them on the bench. so let's talk though about what happened with "the new york times." i saw you on another network earlier. the allegations in this column -- i don't even want to call it a column, it's a self-serving narrative. so easy to write a positive piece about yourself and paint yourself in the best possible light, that's the easy thing to do. what do you think of the overall point, donald trump is so impulsive, everyone is in their checking what he's doing. thank god there are all these noble people inside. >> this person says there was an effort to invoke the 25th 20 fifth amendment. and that's b.s. can trump be a handful? yes. >> everyone's a handful. >> that's why you have your own show. but bottom line if this person says trump is not serving the republic well, where i live in
7:19 pm
south carolina people are extremely pleased. he doesn't adhere to conservative principles. everyone i know in south carolina likes the judges, likes the military, they like the tax cut and the regulation and they like what he's doing. so this person's view of the president xi is serving is out of sync with the people who elected him. >> laura: the president in a tweet tonight said this could be a national security issue, the person should be named and that was kind of dismissed out of hand but it's actually an interesting question. is it not? >> remember back during the watergate stuff, the pentagon papers, this is mostly opinion. mr. president if you are watching her tonight, if i were you i would ignore the article and ignore the book and how the american people what i've done and what i'm going to do. you got an incredible story for less than two years of being president and i think the best is yet to come, just stay on track. he will not be affected by this book or this article. what you will be affected by are the choices you make and when
7:20 pm
you pick them, it will help you in the military is broken, you will get credit for that. when you fight our enemies, you make us safer. >> so -- if i told him that for two years. he's watching. >> tweet all you want to but on occasion talk about what you've done. what do you have done blows my mind. okay, we've been in this thing less than two years. we have two of the greatest picks of the generation. we have an economy that nobody dreamed of, we have a military -- >> laura: is obama's economy, that's what the left says. but no 20 fifth amendment whispers. >> it's all complete b.s. i would know that. >> laura: given your history and understanding, given your position. senator graham, thank you so much for coming on tonight. big news out of capitol hill, the heads of tech companies allegedly discriminate against conservatives and they face the
7:21 pm
music. majority leader kevin mccarthy is here, next.
7:22 pm
7:23 pm
>> laura: facebook sheryl sandberg and jack dorsey aren't capitol hill today were in lawmakers grilled them about allegations of bias against conservatives. here is dorsey trying to explain
7:24 pm
twitter's practices. >> we don't consider political viewpoints, perspectives or party affiliation in any of our policies or enforcement decisions. >> the allegation that we make, the republicans, is that you are discriminatory against us, against the republicans. >> we agree that the result was not impartial, and that is why we corrected and we fixed it. >> so you do agree that there were more republicans than democrats? >> i didn't say that, but i do -- >> but you can't have it both ways, sir. >> laura: jack seemed really bored with a whole big hearing. joining me now as health majority leader kevin mccarthy. the reason he showed up into town, but there's no problem here. it's just an algorithm, they know -- they say there's no problem. >> a couple days before the hearing they admitted there was some problems. >> they did agree that the
7:25 pm
algorithm created shadow banning. they just so happened it was conservative. >> explain what that is for our audience. >> shadow banning as you put something up and nobody sees it. >> it's kind of like watching cnn, it's up there but nobody sees it. >> the reason is conservatives like devin nunes got shadow band, it wasn't something jay did but who follow them. it was who followed the algorithm and pick to this. a lot of times he says, i want to create a standard of fairness. well, who determines the fairness? they have this twitter trust and safety council made up of 48 groups and only one of those groups leans towards the middle, the rest as to the left. in this algorithm, i pointed out to you. i follow you on twitter and you talked about conservatives in sweden. >> with the elections coming up,
7:26 pm
yes. the sweet and democrat party which is anti-migrant invasion is going to win. >> the algorithm said that was sensitive, because i have a sensitive mark. why would i why would an algorithm pick something about immigration? >> we have to talk about this deal with the anonymous column. the rest of us need to be saved. >> this man is a coward. if it's a man or woman, is it really someone? but the idea that this person has a taxpayers job somewhere in the government, supposed to be serving the president who the taxpayers elected but he or she is such an elitist that they know better than the voters, that they are protecting the voters in some way? i agree with the president, i think he should come clean. >> the president said this is a
7:27 pm
national conspiracy concern and he said in the op ed that, he is working and others are working to thwart the president's agenda and he calls trump antidemocratic? >> that goes -- that's why this person is a coward. >> it's maybe a little stretch, but it is -- it's traitorous that you are serving in administration, at a senior level and all you are doing is undermining the person that the american people elected to be president. this person sits there and it does this. >> may be it's not a political appointee, maybe it's a civil servant, it could be just one of the thousands of civil servants in senior position. >> but this -- if they are like in a place of power. >> any rumblings of a the 20 fifth amendment invocation, have you ever heard anything like that from anyone in possession
7:28 pm
of power over there? >> now and i work with that cabinet almost every single day. i was with the president today. this is what i love about this man, he could have all these false things said about him, he does not lose track of what needs done. let's secure the border. let's get tax two-point oh done. let's make sure we are ensuring security. >> but he is impatient because there's a lot of you know what going on in washington and its laws has agenda and he gets ticked off and i don't blame him. we have staffers close to the president who don't like his agenda and are pushing his agenda and are whispering to "the new york times" or writing up ads. that's the problem. that's been the problem from the beginning. >> they were never there to help him. >> now they were there to undermine him from the beginning and the g.o.p. establishment is still trying to get back power. >> and why wasn't google -- google didn't show up. but i have to give credit to
7:29 pm
twitter and jack and facebook for showing up. >> laura: we will call and see if they can stop by. let's get reaction to all today's news with monica crowley and john summers former aide to senate majority leader harry reid. all right monica, let's start with you. we go from the woodward book basically indicating to the msnbc crowd that donald trump doesn't have his mental faculties, to this, today, in "the new york times," your reaction? >> sara carter reported earlier today, laura, that the president is actually perhaps poised to declassify about 20 fisa warrant documents so it's no wonder we are getting this fierce new flurry of anti-trump attacks because it's all about deflection from their original conspiracy, trying to protect the president of the united states. so keep a close eye on that.
7:30 pm
what we see in this "new york times" column is confirmation of everything that we have been saying for the last two plus years. which is that there is this covert rolling coup against the president that there is this unelected shadowy group, some in the administration and some without, the establishment and the media all targeting donald trump because he represents an existential threat to all of them. therefore he must be destroyed. we were laughed at. we were mocked for saying all this time that there is this soft coup against donald trump and now we actually have a piece of evidence from somebody resisting this case. >> they still can't believe he won and that he still doing the stuff. hasn't gotten the wall built, we hope some of that happens but he's done a lot of what he pledged and more and more. but john, i want your perspective on this. the left is like, this is like
7:31 pm
feeding candy to a baby. the left is thrilled, we got trump now. it's like wile e. coyote is going to get the roadrunner. what are your thoughts? >> it's hard to hear over the sound of the black helicopters flying all around us with accusations against attack on this thing coming out. the one thing i do agree on is there wasn't anything new in this op-ed as a former reporter myself and someone who served on the hill, i've never been a fan of single sourced, anonymous pieces like that. i just don't like that. but that said, there was no real news in this op-ed. what it was was a confirmation of what we have been hearing about the white house for the last two years. that's the part that probably made the times comfortable and printing it from an anonymous source and its consistent with what we've been hearing from the white house for more than two years. you don't have to believe it but it is worth questioning, is
7:32 pm
there some truth to this? is it worth looking into? clearly, there are problems in this white house. i don't think anyone on the left is dancing around and happy about it because what we want is a functional, intelligent, pragmatic president of the united states and we don't have that right now. >> laura: we want 4.2% gdp and last i checked didn't obama say we had 59 states. and 4.2 and one quarter does not make a trend. >> all of this salacious gossip, i mean people are fascinated by the personality but it's all a giant distraction from number one, the actual conspiracy to at target donald trump and a number two, delivering a a booming economy. >> all right, monica john,
7:33 pm
thank you so much. i had, raymond arroyo on the powerful life lessons of a working actor. and an addictive video game taking her kids, the world by by storm.
7:34 pm
7:35 pm
7:36 pm
>> laura: it's time for our "seen and unseen" segment where we explore some of the big cultural stories of the day. let's bring in fox news contributor raymond arroyo who has a special announcement, which we will get to in a moment. raymond over the weekend, pictures surfaced of former cosby show star jeffrey owens working at a grocery store, what's going on? >> this broke everywhere. someone liked pictures of jeffrey owens who was on the cosby show years ago, he was working at trader joe's bagging groceries. this became a viral story and it was really people trying to job shame him. he's a working actor and in between jobs he's making ends meet. for 15 months he worked at
7:37 pm
trader joe's. people tried to shame him with this and he took it like a man and he had great pride in the job he was doing. he turned to robin roberts on "good morning america" and had this to say about his job and the support he got unexpectedly, watch. >> there is no job that's better than another job. it may pay better or have better benefits, might look better on a resume and paper but actually it's not better. every job is worthwhile and valuable and, if we have kind of a rethinking about that because of what has happened to me, that would be great. but no one should feel sorry for me. >> the dignity of work. >> eyes said that on my convention speech. my mother told me that, i was waiting tables. she waited tables till she was 74. >> no honest job should be demeaned. this is the cruelty of social media and a happy ending
7:38 pm
to the story. tyler perry, someone who was himself made his own way and pulled himself by the bootstraps has offered jeffrey a job. >> i loved how he put it right back in their faces. it's a job, there is dignity in every job. you know what he's not doing, he's not sitting down and complaining, while it is me. life is so unfair. and there is a video game, parents, you know about it, captivated imaginations and apparently the schedules of a lot of young people and young adults called for at, battle royale. >> how long has that been on? >> it's gaining prominence and here is the danger. 125 million users around the world. it's free on multiple platforms. it's basically hunger games in a cartoon format. people have to kill each other and the island they are on shrinks and you have to be the last man standing when it's over. i know kids in colleges and middle schools that are playing. but here's the problem, kids are
7:39 pm
addicted. 60 minutes off so i adjusted a piece, logan ford, he hasn't left the house in two years. he has bitten his mother, given her a concussion and popped her in the face when she tried to take the game away. here's the interview. >> by day, logan can be found in the same spot playing the same game over and over again. >> this is my choice, i'm totally playing about 14 hours. >> fortnight and similar games have been his sole obsession for the past two years, at the expense of almost everything else. >> why did you last read a book? >> this type of play, the world health organization describes it as a game or egg addiction. it leads to aggressive behavior and bad relationships with those around you including your parents. you heard the bit about the book, they've done some research about the social media replacing
7:40 pm
books. in the 1970s, 60% of high scores were reading books and today, 16% or less. you know i have devoted a big part of my life to literacy and writing for kids. i have a big announcement. i want kids to read and i love that they are reading my books and i'm thrilled tonight to reveal for the first time the cover of the third installment of my will wilder's that serious. it's called "will wilder, the amulet of power." it's available for preorder now at well wilder books.com. >> i tried to make it like the cowardly lion on "the wizard of oz" but i didn't quite capture that. >> i will try not to write you in as the villain of this book. >> laura: oh thanks a lot. by the way, i think there's a problem when you bite your mother. biting or throwing of objects is involved with your parents, you have a problem. >> none of my well wilder
7:41 pm
readers hit their mothers. >> you know why my kids don't play video games or computers with screens? because of that. >> i have a problem with my phone. you know that, i'm on it too much. but guess what i don't have my phone with me tonight. police groups are heading back hard against nike's decision to make colin kaepernick the face of its latest campaign. dan bongino weighs in on that,we next. i'm just surprised it means in my kitchen. so, that means no breakfast? voya. helping you to and through retirement.
7:42 pm
7:43 pm
so chances are, you've seen us around the house. or... around the yard. on the shelf... or even... out in the field. your mom knew she could always count on us... and your grandma did too. because for over 150 years, we've been right by your side. advancing the health of the people, plants and pets you love. so, from all of us at bayer... thank you for trusting in us. then... and now.
7:44 pm
>> laura: despite big time backlash stein nike is standing by his decision to make colin kaepernick the face of his latest marketing campaign. releasing its first commercial online today with plans to put it on tv during the first nfl game of the season tomorrow. the commercials tagline is, believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. that's not sitting well with national fraternal order of police who announced the commercial and pointed out the 381 police officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice since 2016. joining me now for reaction are jason nichols, and former nypd officer dan dan bongino. colin kaepernick got booted from the nfl because of his play i think, i don't think it was because of the kneeling. i mean he was fine but i don't think he was like one of the best of the best. but nike thinks this is our audience. what's the big deal? >> because the ad campaign in
7:45 pm
and of itself is ridiculous. believe in something. what does colin kaepernick believe in? even he seems confused about this. keep in mind, he is the same guy that wore a pair of socks depicting police officers, some of the finest among us, as pigs. he also defended the castro regime. you know, the castro regime that imprisons its political opposition and when it doesn't present them, it kills them? that regime. believe in something, what exactly does he believe in? and to sacrifice everything, what exactly has he sacrificed? he just got a multimillion dollar contract from nike and he played a game for a living for millions of dollars. it's a hard pass on the nike campaign, i don't think so. this was one of the worst business decisions in american history. >> i would disagree that it was a bad business decision, we have seen that nike realizes what they are doing. they do market research and they understand these things. number one, even though there was a slight drop in their
7:46 pm
stock, i think it was about 3%, they are up 50% and they also realize that the majority of their growth and revenue is coming from places like latin america and china. >> don't you think china would put up with any of this stuff? china is making all the nike stuff. they are producing it. i don't think they care about colin kaepernick one way or the other. >> he stands for justice and equality and equity for all citizens, that's what he has stood for from the very beginning. or kneeling for. >> can i ask you guys a question that's unrelated? do you think he was really cut from the nfl because of the kneeling? >> absolutely. i don't think there's any question. >> i'm setting aside -- i actually -- in football, i don't see the great passer, i don't see the great runner. go ahead, danny.
7:47 pm
>> wasn't he on a team that was one and 11? >> but that's not a reason. >> i know colin kaepernick in his early days, he went to the super bowl and was a dynamic runner and pastor. i know a lot of those skills passed him by and to jason's point, he stands for justice, he may like the wall in cuba where they lined people up and shooed them and kill them, that kind of justice? because you know he's on tape defending the castro regime, and the literacy rate in cuba. then he said something absolutely tragic. he said it cuba spends more money on education than they do on prisons. you know why that is? they don't need a lot of presence, they kill a lot of these people and then they throw them in a dungeon. he may want to look into that. >> god bless him, i'm sure -- the cuba stuff is not attached to reality. this is the addict, i think we should show the ad because this is running tomorrow and it will
7:48 pm
still be a big viewership tomorrow night on the nfl. let's watch. >> if you are born a refugee, don't let it stop you from playing soccer for the national team at age 16. don't become the best basketball player on the planet, be bigger than basketball. believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. don't ask if your dreams are crazy, ask if they are crazy enough. >> i don't see how anyone could be against what the message was in that add a comment to me it sounds like a good ad. the other thing i would say number one in terms of football, just to go into a little bit of sports, nathan peterman, and no disrespect to nathan peterman that he is the starting quarterback in the nfl. he threw five interceptions in one half. colin kaepernick threw for all season along with 16 touchdowns so i think he is very much
7:49 pm
capable. whether he starts or not that should be a decision up to the team. >> it's like canadian football. dan whether or not it's good or not for the nfl, it's the message, or it's a messenger. i think for police they feel like they put their lives on the line and they are not getting a fair shake here. it feels like people are painting with a broad brush even though there have been tragic things happening to african-americans in the inner-city, no doubt about it. it feels like it's antipolice into a lot of the people in law enforcement. dan, close it out. >> while it is. he wore socks with cops depicted as pigs and i think you just address the saddest part of this whole thing. there is a very real conversation to be had about the treatment of minorities in this country. you don't start the conversation by putting on a pair of socks depicting cops as pigs. sorry about that but it's not going to happen. >> laura: people are going to be kneeling and i don't think
7:50 pm
that's going to save a single life. good conversation guys, thanks so much. when we come back, steve bannon disinvited from a fancy new yorker event. why is everyone so afraid of hi him? stay there. (male speaker) stop by bass pro shops and cabela's today for great labor day deals. like redhead pocket t's and henleys, 2 for $25. save 25% on this pro qualifier baitcast reel. and save $50 on this masterbuilt extra large temperature control smoker.
7:51 pm
(woman) learned ao play second language. applied to college. applied for a loan. started a business. started a blog. shared a picture. shared a moment. turn your wish list into a checklist. learn more. do more. share more. at home, with internet essentials.
7:52 pm
7:53 pm
>> laura: time now for the latest installment of our defending the first series where we expose the enemies to the first amendment, free expression and free thought. the latest profile encouraged for a left-wing journalist has got to be going to new yorker editor david remnick, who invited former top strategist steve man into a new yorker festival, but when celebrity participants started to bail in protest, david remnick canceled his appearance. joining me now with the reaction about this and the absurd anonymous column in "the new york times," former governor mike. first the new yorker doesn't bite to bannon, what does that tell you? >> they are afraid to hear voices that don't agree with the ones already in the room. that's a great tragedy, it's not about steve bannon, it's about if there is someone who has an opinion or a voice that is different than the echo chamber of the left.
7:54 pm
their way to deal with it is not to present their arguments in the presence of the arguments to the right, and when their argument is, just don't even let the other guys in the room. it shows to me they just have very little confidence in their own point of view. >> laura: it has happened on college campuses and happened in public life. there are certain things that people are afraid to say that five years ago, it was a mainstream thought. and if you say them you are vilified. and that you are driven out of public life or they try to drive you out of public life. you lose a promotion, you don't get a certain job at a certain company and that's outrageous, governor. that is -- use a trump is antidemocratic, that's antidemocratic. >> it's not only antidemocratic but it's anti-intellectual. i find of the greatest moments i have is going to a college campus, particularly a liberal college campus, an ivy league
7:55 pm
school, and speaking there. the reason i enjoy it is because i get traction from the attempt by the students to say here is this a dumb southern hick, he's a conservative, he's a christian, we will eat him alive. i just enjoy the heck out of being there and answering their questions with questions and finding out they are not quite as smart as they always think they are. but how do they know that if they don't ever have a point of view that doesn't agree with theirs? >> laura: speaking of cowards, i want to get to this anonymous column in "the new york times." conveniently dropping all these little bombs, it's a lot of rehash of stuff we heard before. but both what it says about american journalism today and what it could tell us, again, we don't know where this person resides, or if it's a career appointee or if it's an actual political -- we don't know. which is why you can't publish anonymous pieces. but what does that tell you about vulnerabilities in the white house and of the press?
7:56 pm
>> it doesn't tell us a lot about the white house because they are accomplishing a lot of things that we elected donald trump to get done. so you know, whatever people can say you are ultimately look at the record and say, by gosh, this man is achieving what he said, he's keeping his promises. here's what it says about journalism, there's very little of it going on. it's one thing to quote an anonymous source, i find that objectionable most of the time. but having an anonymous op-ed from someone who's is saying the most outrageous thing, first of all this guy or girl is a gutless coward. secondly it's just bordering on treasonous to say i take a paycheck for a person that i'm trying to undermine. that shows a complete lack of integrity, lack of honor. that show something that i think it's revealed this person to be despicably dishonest. and why a "new york times" editor would ever want to herald this as some great revelation is frankly beyond me. >> it's because they are part of
7:57 pm
the resistance. governor huckabee, as always we love having you on, thank you so much. and up next, my photos. you want to stay around for this. don't go away
7:58 pm
7:59 pm
>> laura: it hits me right here the first day of school. i remember going back to school for the first time. this is a photo of my sons, 3rd grade and 5th grade at a new school. i whether the them go and they
8:00 pm
were off. prayers tonight. >> coach lou holtz's wife is very ill. >> laura: that's all the time. shannon bream who has been all over kavanaugh's story and the confirmation hearing takes it from here. >> shannon: i am shannon bream in washington. a fox news alert. marathon hearings going late into the evening. kavanaugh's answers from across the legal spectrum including from the bush 43 lawyer. you will hear from the president's attorney jay sekulow live. we start with resistance from within a day after bob woodward's

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on