Skip to main content

tv   Outnumbered Overtime With Harris Faulkner  FOX News  December 4, 2018 10:00am-11:00am PST

10:00 am
>> thanks to our good friend ari fleischer, and thank you for providing such beautiful perspective. >> ari: always fun to be here. thank you to you. >> kennedy: we are back on the couch at noon eastern tomorrow, so much more to discuss and keep it here. for continuing coverage of the memorial of former president george h.w. bush. right now, here's "outnumbered overtime" with harris. ♪ >> harris: the final farewell for the nation'st president. on outnumbered overtime today, our coverage continues. i'm harris faulkner paid thousands of americans are paying their respects right now to president george herbert walker bush. he is lying in-state in in the capitol rotunda. his flag-draped coffin resting on the same wooden frame used for president lincoln. tomorrow the casket will be removed to the national cathedral for president bush's state funeral. peter doocy has the latest from capitol hill. peter? >> harris, right now the wait to
10:01 am
get into see the president lying in state is about an hour. you can see behind me, there are a couple thousand people out here in the cold. once they get inside, they meet a security checkpoint that then snakes through multiple basement hallways, all the way until the rotunda. people can pay their respects here until 7:00 a.m. all through the night. but, a lot of people close to the bushes are doing it. that includes the service dog, sully, who just saw walk around the bush's flag have been draped casket and lay beside her for a few minutes. he was flanked by beneficiaries of the americans with disabilities act, signed by the late president bush back in 1990. members of his service detail who spend years or decades with him came to salute him, as well. so did colin powell, who was treatment of the joint chiefs during desert storm while bush was the commander in chief. the rotunda is very quiet inside, despite dozens of people shuffling in and out every few minutes. many people are quietly
10:02 am
reflecting or praying. others are having a harder time containing their emotions, even if they never met the late president. on the way out, every person is being handed a card from the family. on the back of the card, it says this -- "the family of george h.w. bush deeply appreciate your prayers and many kindnesses as, together, we celebrate and honor the life of a loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, brother, friend, and the 41st president of the united states." harris, the people i'm talking to in the liner telling me that as soon as they found out they could go and pay final respectively president, they got in the car from four, five, six hours away and drove all through the night to get here just to say goodbye. harris? >> harris: it is a beautiful scene. thank you very much. the nation, remembering our 41st president. now, let's bring in ed rollins. ed rollins served as campaign manager for the reagan-bush reelection campaign in 1984. i would imagine that you have
10:03 am
had quite a few conversations with the former president, as you were trying to move forward for a new victory. >> he was a wonderful man, i'm so pleased the country is recognizing in these closing days of his life and serving now at this great funeral that we will see. he lived a great life. every single part of it was very important. there's another picture of another great man, bob dole. >> harris: you've got it. former senator from kansas, bob dole. he ran for president himself. i would imagine that during the '80s and even earlier than that, and during the '90s when i covered it -- i was at fox in kansas city when bob dole was running -- that all of these men were looking forward to the future, helping each other trying to find the footing to win. >> and they did. obviously, following ronald reagan was a giant figure. always difficult. it was an added difficulty that he was running against the first woman vice presidential candidate, geraldine ferraro, 1984. >> harris: let's pause for a moment and talk about what we see in this picture.
10:04 am
with your history, ed rollins, i want to get your perspective of bob dole there paying his respects to george h.w. bush. >> a truly great war hero. now that they all didn't serve effectively, but dole was basically hospitalized for two years. totally crippled, came back. came up through politics from the local va. they ran against each other in 1988. they've done some rivalry there. dole had been the national chairman, just as bush had succeeded him. i think, to a certain extent, a little pushing and shoving -- but at the end of the day, they had a great respect for each other and both serve the country equally. >> harris: by the time i had covered him in the '90s, bob dole had become one of those figures in the republican party where, yes, he's running for president, but certainly a huge voice of the party at that point. you can see him paying respects to the former president as
10:05 am
george h.w. bush lies in state and the rotunda right now. we have ed rollins here. you had many conversations with president bush at that time. what were they like? >> he was a very generous man with his time and his friendship. you could take 31 nfl football stadiums across the country and fill them with his friends. he had friends everywhere, and he was a tremendous friend himself. he wrote notes, he did all the little things you do if you are a courteous man. and he really was. very few enemies in the political system. which he had been in for very. of time. >> harris: as i see the former senator from kansas, bob dole, sitting there -- it reminds me of the civility that this country is so steeped in. i am -- you've known me for years, ed, i'm the ultimate optimist. i think things ebb and flow and that we can get back there. >> i think there's no question that we will get back there.
10:06 am
i think to a certain extent, trump is a different kind of president. obviously, he didn't come up through politics. he is tough. since he got elected, the media and democrats -- she's got two more rough years with the democrats in control of the house. he's a fighter and he believes in certain things he wants to get done. this is a different generation, and these men were gentlemen. >> harris: talk about when you see the public -- and you heard a reporter, peter doocy, talk about this -- when the public learns that they can go pay they respect as he lies and stayed in the rotunda. it was a different era mix and pretty see a lot of young faces mixed in. if you had never met him, if you didn't know of him, what would you say about george w. bush? >> he was a man of great integrity. he was a man who deeply loved this country. every single day of his life, from the time he was an 18-year-old navy pilot to this
10:07 am
past week, he tried to serve his country and do what was right. i think about the kind of service is unheard of, and he served many, many tasks and jobs. he did them all well. >> harris: in '84, did he help the candidate win? >> he certainly did. obviously, ronald reagan 149 states and 69% of the vote. he was very much a part of the team and did everything you asked them to a did it well. he wasn't as good a campaigner as he was a public servant. he didn't like the campaign income in the way that trump or ragan or someone else did. but he certainly was a very able partner, and basically he and ronald reagan had a magical relationship. speak to you into jeremy on the mezzanine at a special moment with bob dole, they are. ed rollins, thank you for your time and experience and perspective. >> think you. >> harris: fox news alert, there's a lot of news being made on this tuesday. new signs that robert mueller may be wrapping up his rush investigation. yahoo! news is reporting. lawyers for the special counsel
10:08 am
told president trump's attorneys that they are "trying to tie up loose ends," and prosecutors plan to file memos on michael flynn today. that could reveal the extent to which -- some of the topics, so on and so forth. similar documents related to paul manafort and michael cohen are expected to follow. catherine herridge has all of the details now in washington. catherine? >> thinks, harris, and good afternoon. the special counsel sentencing memo for the advisor mike flynn could come at any time with the deadline of midnight tonight. these memos lay out all the factors the court should consider to determine the type and length of sentence. flynn is looking at a maximum of five years, but it's anticipated the recommendation from the special counsel will be for much less. flynn pled guilty in december of 2017, exactly a year ago, to one count of making false statements to the fbi about his contact and communications with the russian ambassador, sergey kislyak, after the present election.
10:09 am
the sentencing has been postponed by mueller's team for a time. the memo is expected to shed more light on flynn's contacts with the russian ambassador on other aspects against flynn, and more significantly, his level of cooperation. it's widely reported that flynn set for multiple interviews with the special counsel. there are complicating factors. this house or publican-led rush investigation published in march found that, while flynn pled guilty to lying to federal agents, from fbi director james coming and his deputy andrew mccabe told congressional investigators that their agent saw no signs of deception in the flynn interview. mccabe told the committee "the people who interviewed flynn didn't think he was lying, which was not a great beginning to a false statement case." later this week we expect mueller's team to submit a brief about his allegations that former champion and chairman paul manafort filing his plea agreement. and on what basis he accuses the
10:10 am
special counsel of strong-arm tactics. they say their information cannot be provided by the client, or does not exist. while the memo is a public document, some parts may be rejected or under seal to protect ongoing elements. >> harris: captain catherine, thank you very much. now i bring in doug burns, prosecutor. i want to get some thoughts from you because there's a lot of news developing on this. >> come yes, there is. we read the tea leaves. the experts have been doing this for 30 years. when people are going to be sentenced, that telegraphs that they are done with their cooperation, essentially. but to hang a fairness footnote, some people agree to continue on. michael cohen and his filing that i read through, harris, said he wanted to go forward and didn't want any further delays. but he would remain available for them. the point is, there are exceptions to every rule. this case obviously is an exception. the point is, it does look as it's being speculated that they are coming to the end of the probe, basically. >> harris: tying up loose ends come out of the gift to
10:11 am
speculate. >> it's pretty clear, exactly. it's interesting that three individuals, flynn, manafort, and cohen, are going to be proceeding forward to sentencing. >> harris: i don't know if you cut any of it -- we had a pretty impassioned discussion today with ari fleischer in the middle of "outnumbered" on what all of this really -- what is the bottom line? what should we be watching for r in all of this? >> the bottom line, obviously, is going to be on the three memos that are filed by the government. forget the defense. i read the cohen memo, it lays out their mitigation arguments and so on. they say, interestingly enough, that he did it to protect the president. which, to me, -- put that to the side. the point is, harris -- >> harris: nobody send signals to the president like "i didn't completely throw you under the bus." >> the point is, another general rule is cooperation submissions by the government are usually sealed. i heard you guys adverting to that a little bit. the point is, let's see if they are sealed or not.
10:12 am
>> harris: why would that matter? >> if it sealed, they aren't going to see it and we will be able to -- speed when you don't think he would leak at that level? >> it's hard to say. mueller's office has been pretty good on that particular aspect. list is assumed for the sake of argument, as i like to say, that the three memos come out. cohen, manafort, the other one -- flynn. it's going to tell us a great deal about the status of the investigation in the sense of what they have told the special counsel. >> harris: here's what we were arguing about -- >> i would like to hear that. >> harris: the legal threshold of trying to prove -- and i use the word "conspiracy," because that's a linear argument i can follow. "collusion" loses me a little bit because i'm searching for the legality of that. >> it doesn't necessarily make out a crime. everybody has been a little bit to -- >> harris: conspiracy is that a federal level. >> conspiracy is an agreement to do a crime, an overt act, and not necessarily doing it. that's where everybody gets confused.
10:13 am
in my career in federal criminal law, everybody thinks conspiracy is more serious. it's not. if we agree to rob a bank, say we are going to use the knife, hypothetically, that's and overt act. its agreement to violate some law. but we didn't rob the bank. >> harris: here's what some of the people on the couch argued -- they only need to prove that corsi or manna fort or come in, whomever you want to choose, may have talked to wikileaks. and there was a connection with russia. i argue that, no, in order to prove that the present was part of it, you have to prove that the president was part of it. you can't just take it on the word of these other people or their testimony. >> i'm sure you would be happy to hear that i agree with you. in all seriousness, because the point is -- yeah, they say that corsi and stone may have had some link to wikileaks. >> harris: which is bad for them. >> corsi and stone may have had some link to the campaign. but that is far from -- and this is not a political sound bite by me -- far from what you would
10:14 am
need to prove an actual crime. so, i agree with you. >> harris: yeah, you need evidence. that's why the first thing in law school as evidence. >> the first week. >> harris: [laughs] i know! let's talk about penalty and accountability. it's been my understanding based on what's been reported -- and, of course, we don't know what mueller would do -- that you aren't seeking an indictment, necessarily, here. a lot of this is political. are there grounds for impeachment? >> yeah, you're right. >> harris: what is the end game? >> first of all, the key is the end game -- exactly -- and when the report comes out it'll be really interesting. i will make a minor crystal ball prediction, i think mueller is going to say "the doj, office of legal counsel memo say it's possible it can't indict the present." and that gives them the opportunity to say "but, by the way, when they took this meeting at trump tower, it advisable and not ethical but not illegal." >> harris: one last quick win before my team yells at me. anti-trump dossier. if that were part of kicking off
10:15 am
his investigation -- >> i think people on the right will call it, screaming buddy murder. that the fisa would lie. on that dossier. let me tell you something. i think the other side -- if that's borne out, and that's true, books are starting to be written, material is starting to come out. and they may be declassification. that's a serious problem. not because you misled a court to initiate the surveillance, fork symbol, of carter page. which then led, in turn, to the genesis and the initiation of the entire mueller probe. that's like the fruit of the poisonous tree. >> harris: doug burns, breaking it down. like he always does. good to see you. thank you. the cia chief gina haspel right now wrapping up a briefing with senate leaders on the murder of that "washington post" columnist, jamal khashoggi. now some lawmakers are saying the crown prince is complicit in his death. her memory, they have been hearing her testimony today. the action congress could take.
10:16 am
stay close. ♪
10:17 am
♪ ♪ applebee's bigger bolder grill combos are back. now that's eatin good in the neighborhood. is the fact that it's very, very tough on bacteria, yet it's very gentle on the denture itself. polident consists of 4 powerful ingredients that work together to deep clean your denture in hard to reach places.
10:18 am
that work together cohigher!ad! higher! parents aren't perfect, but then they make us kraft mac & cheese and everything's good again. but prevagen helps your brain with an ingredient originally discovered... in jellyfish. in clinical trials, prevagen has been shown to improve short-term memory. prevagen. healthier brain. better life.
10:19 am
>> harris: breaking news now -- cia chief gina haspel has just wrapped that briefing with senate leaders on the murder of
10:20 am
jamal khashoggi, "the washington post" columnist. he died inside the saudi consulate in turkey. now some lawmakers are saying the crown prince of saudi arabia is "complicit" in that journalist's death. here is republican senator lindsey graham, from moments ago. >> there is not a smoking gun, there is a smoking saw. you have to be willfully blind not to come to the conclusion that this was orchestrated and organized by people under the command of mbs, and that he was intricately involved in the demise of mr. khashoggi. >> harris: white house correspondent kevin corke is live on the north lawn, because the president certainly didn't see it that way. now, the reporting. kevin? >> no question about that, harris. very interesting, that briefing by the director of the cia, happening after the administration endured fairly strong criticism because she failed to attend, you may recall, a previous saudi policy
10:21 am
intelligence briefing. that briefing also included the secretary of state, mike pompeo. and the defense secretary, jim matus. that is important, especially when you can consider, harris, that director hospital is thought to be the only topic administration for official toe heard that recording that document of the murder of journalist jamal khashoggi. a limited number of stakeholders could hear what director hospital had to say, among them, south carolina senator lindsey graham. >> mbs, the crown prince, is a wrecking ball. i think he is complicit in the murder of mr. because a khashoe highest level possible. i think the behavior before the khashoggi murder was beyond disturbing. if the saudi government is going to be in the hands of this man for a long time to come, i find
10:22 am
it very difficult to be able to do business, because i think he is crazy. >> he called him crazy, said he is dangerous and puts the u.s.-saudi relationship at risk. you may also recall last week the national security advisor, john bolton, said he didn't listen to the audio recording. he made the comment that he didn't understand arabic, so what difference would it make if you were to listen to that was to mark or if it were in korean. he didn't exactly say those words, but that was the general idea. by the come of the back and forth, harris, could alter the u.s.-saudi relationship because the saudis get a great deal of support from the u.s. and the effort against yemen. a lot of people have suggested that that's actually a proxy war between them and the iranians. it's a very dangerous part of the world come as you know, in a very controversial relationship. now what remains to be seen is what happens to the leadership of mbs moving forward. harris? >> harris: these are all great questions.
10:23 am
kevin corke it, thank you very much. i want to bring in a congressman now. gerry connolly, a member of the house foreign affairs committee. jim all because shoji also lived in your virginia district. i want to get your first response and what we are learning from that senate briefing today. >> well, listening to lindsey graham on your report, i think one can conclude that the cia provided compelling evidence that there is no way this operation could have been carried out without the knowledge, the the for knowled, and even the planning assistance of the crown prince. nothing happens in the kingdom without his approval of the kind level. >> harris: having you on the program allows me to ask this kind of question. i really want to understand going forth, now. the situation in yemen is complicated. you got al qaeda and the arabian peninsula on the ground there, too. we are trying to keep a watch on them. but can't we do it all?
10:24 am
can we have some punitive relationship going forward for however long it takes with saudi arabia and expects their help in yemen? >> yes, i think sovereign nations can handle comp located relationships. we can cooperate on the one hand, and not cooperate on the other. in this particular case, we are dealing with the next lines we are by saudi arabia. the power of the royal family is ultimately deposited in one head. this man is now a murderer. cold-blooded, premeditated, murder of a u.s. resident. a columnist for "the washington post." and then, the disposal of the body involved premeditated dismemberment and secretly bringing it out of the assembled consulate so it would not be detected bread which is a
10:25 am
horrendous crime. we cannot countenance that, nor should we do business with it. >> harris: i want to bring in senator corker, because he spoke seconds ago after that briefing. let's watch. >> i have zero question in my mind that the crown prince, mbs, ordered the killing, monitored the killing, knew exactly what was happening. plant it in advance. if he was in front of a jury, he would be convicted in 30 minute 30 minutes. >> harris: congress men, first, your response to that? >> based on what we know, harris, i would agree with that statement. we now know from intercepts that the crown prince had 11 phone calls with one of the key organizers of the crime and the consulate in the sample. we know that one of his top aides court made the entire thing from saudi arabia. in terms of circumstantial evidence, it's compelling and
10:26 am
convincing. >> harris: so, let's get to the point -- what action can congress take? because it seems like -- and i don't think the american people are wrong about this when you ask them in surveys and polls -- that they don't feel like enough gets done on capitol hill. i see bipartisan support to do something. what should it be? >> welcome of the senate, as you know, has already expressed itself. i think they ought to be sanctioned. i think we ought to make it very clear that the crown prince is no longer welcome. at events like the g20. that was a -- >> harris: for how long? >> frankly, until his removal from office. he has no business representing saudi arabia or dealing with other powers, because of his -- >> harris: let me sub improved with no disrespect, just because i want to give us out in staccato form. when you say -- mohammad bin salman, you are gone, do have a right to do that as a country? should we expect that to happen? does not look like we are getting involved in who they have leading the country? is there that risk?
10:27 am
>> that's a question come up we have a right to say there are standards that we set for ourselves and for you. you have to meet them. one of them is that you're not a murderer. we are civilly not going to do business with -- >> harris: that's comp occasion when you look at how many dictators we sit down with and talk to because we have to. >> we have relations with some unsavory figures, that's true. but we also have a long tradition of human rights respect where we don't do business with certain individuals because of their acts, so heinous that they don't meet any basic standard of an ability to do business with them. i think in this particular case, because of the uniqueness of our relationship with saudi arabia, we have a right to demand this accountability in this case. >> harris: congressman jerry connelly of the great state of virginia. thank you for your time. >> thank you, harris. >> harris: the congressional leaders unveiling a two-week extension, the deadline has scooted. that happened last hour. now, washington dealing with the
10:28 am
politics of that. we are also morning former president george hw but. could more negotiating time of the parties reach a compromise? two men who have been on the front line of the fight. stay close. ♪ our cohonorably. one of the benefits that we as a country give you as a veteran is the eligibility for a va loan for up to 100% of your home's value. if you need cash for your family, call newday usa. with automatic authority from the va, we can say yes when banks say no. give us a call. call now: 1-855-376-1361. i can't say it's the highlight dadof fatherhood.... but i'd rather be here with my little man than not be here because of migraine. i have three words for migraine... "i am here." aimovig, a preventive treatment for migraine in adults,
10:29 am
reduces the number of monthly migraine days. for some, that number can be cut in half or more. the most common side effects are pain, redness or swelling at the injection site and constipation. talk to your doctor about aimovig. and be there more.
10:30 am
10:31 am
10:32 am
♪ >> harris: it looks like congress is going to get this done. congressional leaders unveiling a two-week stopgap spending bill to keep the government open and running through december 21st. the deadline to fund the government was this friday, but the passing of president george h.w. bush has shifted washington's focus and our focus as a nation, understandably. senate majority leader mitch mcconnell is insisting there will not be a shutdown, and is urging president trump to negotiate with democrats. watch it. >> my advice to the president, i don't think it would surprise
10:33 am
you -- in the end, he and schumer and pelosi have to decide what they are going to do, here. because even though this is a republican government, the democrats are not irrelevant. >> harris: mike emanuel live on capitol hill. so, this resolution coming together in the short term. then they will vote. >> that's right, harris. most expect that lawmakers will pass a government extension to avoid a partial government shutdown on friday night. the house is expected to go first, sometime on thursday. the senate will follow suit. already, there is plenty of blame game underway with the key democrat noting republicans are in charge. >> i don't support a wall. i believe in border security, i think a wall is not a smart way to make us safer. let's be clear -- right now, the republicans are in control of the house, in control of the senate, and control of the white house. they need to put together a budget to keep the government open and operating. >> should the democrats have some kind of compromise?
10:34 am
>> let's see what they want to put on the table. >> president trump tweeted today "could somebody please expand to the democrats that we need their votes? that our country loses to enter $50 billion a year on illegal immigration, not including the terrible drug flow. board security, including a wall, is $25 billion. it pays for itself in two months. get it done." a member of the newly elected house leadership for the next congress on the republican side is blasting the democrats. >> in this situation, we got a fundamental problem on the democratic side. i think leader pelosi -- everything that she does right now is based on what's going to be necessary in order to get the votes to be speaker. obviously, she got the votes in the caucus. she still got to get the votes on the floor. she did to make sure she placates every wing of the party, including the far left, for the good of the country. we had to be able to say "look, we've got to secure our borders." and the border wall is a crucial part of that. >> out of respect for former president george herbert walker
10:35 am
bush, the site is being put off for a couple weeks. that means it will come up again right before christmas. harris custom xp when deja vu all over again, this always is at a pressure point. thank you very much, mike emanuel. i want to bring into people know who have done a lot of negotiating. one of them. josh holmes, former chief of staff for majority leader mitch mcconnell. john summers, former q mitigation structure for former majority leader harry read. you both have been down this road before. so, i'm going to start with you. democrats have shut down the government. remember the former #schumershutdown? why is that on the battle cry right now? let's get a deal on daca, let's do it it takes. >> let's also remember, unfortunate for liz cheney, she seems to forget what happened the summer. republicans versus republicans. not just her republicans versus democrats. >> harris: i want you to take my question. i will get to that one. i want you to take my question, because your political wild side started this conversation with
10:36 am
the shutdown over people who have come into this country who are now in limbo not knowing what's going to happen for the dreamers. please take my question. >> that is absolutely something that we need to look at. that's something any bill that we had pass, a bipartisan bill from 2013. that, again, the house rejected. we were able to provide not only funding for the wall, but more funding than he's asking for today. but also, still did some work to chimeric -- >> harris: you had a democrat president there. i don't know what to tell you. it's 2018 now. josh, he does have a point. why would both bicameral public and leadership, could you get some things done with this president, making this a key issue? >> you need 60 votes in the united states senate to get a funding bill across the floor. >> harris: but she could get in the house, either, those were both her republicans. >> i think the board a funding issue is something that used to be extremely bipartisan.
10:37 am
when john and i were working to give an senate, it used to be something that senate democrats supported fully. we had full wall funding back in the day, and somehow that never came to fruition. that's part of the reason the american people are so frustrated about this. i think if you look at it, beyond any question, the president's right that we will need to enhance our border security based on the images and the stories you've had over the last three weeks. i can't understand why what they are asking for is out of the question at all. it seems to me like a very reasonable request, and they ought to get it done. >> harris: before we move onto the next subject, here, it seems a little mind-boggling. no one is asking you to do complete immigration reform. heck, you couldn't do it in decades -- why would you be able to do it now in two weeks? but could you piecemeal than do it? yes or no, gentlemen custom mark >> that's a tough thing. you will never have someone be okay with one side having their elements that are important to them, and then not have their own in there. it is a difficult thing. that's one of the reasons you see both sides calling for conference of immigration
10:38 am
reform. >> harris: because it can't get done by the end of the air. i think he answered for both of you. [laughter] >> i think they should -- honestly, harris, i think they should use this as leverage. they should get this funding bill done. they ought to go into the next congress was in further discussion on that. no question. >> harris: the president willing to weigh in on this, and her republicans and the house didn't get it done. can the nation now watch both sides? president trump, moving on, appears to be courting democrats. he think he can work with the next congress. he met with joe manchin yesterday, red state senator, and he invited other top democrats to meet with him in recent days. this isn't just an olive branch -- she is sitting down with people, john. >> yes, and i think it's great that he's doing that. the question is, can he work with democrats? absolutely, he can work with them. he used to be one. to your point, yeah -- he's a dealmaker. but the big question is, will he be willing to work with democrats? how much does he want to actually have a fight with
10:39 am
democrats versus getting something done? i think that something that the american people are wanting. to see both sides come together, and actually passed legislation that is meaningful to their daily lives. >> harris: dosh, earlier on the program we saw mitch mcconnell saying -- he was talking by the spending bill, but i would imagine everything else come too. >> i think there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the president wants to work across the aisle to get some things done. i agree with john's assessment of us with the american people are looking for. the problem is, the house of representatives is not a corporate structure. whatever the leadership wants to do, ultimately, their powers to run the floor and set the agenda. they cannot control the behavior of every single house democrat. if you look at the energy within the democratic party right now, it's an energy that is full of a want for investigations, for impeachment, for sort of a more radical left-wing view of the world. they are going to have to do their very best to repress that to get things done. but i'm dubious.
10:40 am
>> harris: i'm going to stop you there, last word. great to see you, gentlemen. thank you. together we come together -- i said that twice in one sentence -- as a nation. to mourn the loss of george h.w. bush. the former president lying in state right now before tomorrow's state funeral at the national cathedral. how he is being a member and by those who knew him best. insights from the members of the bush white house team, next. george woke up in pain.
10:41 am
10:42 am
10:43 am
but he has plans today. hey dad.
10:44 am
so he took aleve. if he'd taken tylenol, he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength to stop tough pain for up to 12 hours with just one pill. aleve. all day strong. aleve. all day strong. and then, more jobs robegan to appear.. what started with one job spread all around. because each job in energy creates many more in this town. ♪ >> harris: and the nation's continuing to mourn former president george h.w. bush. he is lying in state right now at the capitol rotunda until tomorrow morning. there will be a state funeral at the national cathedral, followed by a private funeral in texas on thursday. for more, i want to bring in my friend, anita mcbride, who served as director of white house personnel under presidents reagan and bush.
10:45 am
anita, i often lean on you at times like this because of your history. also, because of your perspective and optimism. your thoughts today? >> thank you, that such a lovely way to introduce this. i think all of us are being reunited with each other here in washington this week, who have worked together for so many years. for president bush, and for barbara bush and for the family. i'm feeling very joyous and uplifted about the opportunity to be together, to honor someone we loved so dearly, who changed the trajectory of our lives. who has left such an imprint on the nation. i think the outpouring of love that you are seeing, the people standing in line in the cold for hours just to pay their respects, has been wonderful for the family and really for all of us that know that the legacy of this man is just tremendous. >> harris: as you hear people
10:46 am
talk -- and our reporters have been interviewing people in line, they say "we didn't know this was possible. he was a great man, we didn't know we could get this close." the lines are long, they are standing in them. would you say to them about all of those people who are standing to get in? about this man? >> well, that this is an extraordinary leader. a good father, friend, husband, to a wife he adored for 70 -- he led an adventurous and joyful left, and he did everything. no regrets. he was an example to everyone, seizing every day of your life, doing everything that you can to make the world, your country, your community, a better place. the culture of service that he had. all of us felt that. i think that -- you know -- in a simple word, it's just -- he lived by example.
10:47 am
>> harris: we have a couple of pictures to share that you have sent us, and i love these. talk to me, i don't know if you are aware you can see them. >> i can see it now, thank you. that was one taken in 2008, where -- years after i worked with him, but was now working for his son and daughter-in-law. i was laura bush's chief of staff of the time. he was in washington on one of the visits that he occasionally made, and he would stay at the white house. i was walking back from a meeting, and he was walking back into the residence because he was staying there. we caught each other in the colonnade, and we were just having a really good little chat, just checking in on each other. my husband had served as his personal aid to, as vice president. that's how we met. my personal life was affected by george and barbara bush, too. we would have -- that picture, there, is the last days of
10:48 am
george h.w. bush as president. he was doing photos with the staff. i was newly married to tim. again, these are great memories. i scramble through to find some pictures. there is one, me in a very bad christmas sweater that i am grateful you are probably not showing. [laughter] >> harris: thank you, we appreciate you doing this. it's so great to hear the uplift in your voice. this is a somber time, and it is also recognizing and memorializing somebody who had such optimism in the way he lived his life. anita mcbride, thank you very much. good to see you. >> thank you, harris. thank you so much. >> harris: we will move on now, as democrats weigh in on who is best to take president trump on a 2020. texas congressman beto o'rourke is emerging as a favorite among them. is he a smart pick? he could raise money, but he couldn't win. the power panel. ♪
10:49 am
you need your wing nut. ( ♪ ) no one can totally satisfy a craving, quite like your wing nut. after a scratch so small rocket no one can totally satisfy a craving, you could fix it with a pen. how about using that pen to sign up for new insurance instead? for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise their rates because of their first accident. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
10:50 am
are ynewday usa can help.home, and need money for your family? we earned a lot of va benefits with our service. but the va home loan benefit is a big one. by re-financing up to 100 percent of your home's value, you could take out 54,000 dollars or more. you could use that money to pay credit card debt and other expenses, plan for retirement, and get back on your feet financially. call newday usa right now. call 1-855-510-4063.
10:51 am
10:52 am
>> dana: high, everyone, i'm dana perino for coverage on george george h.w. bush's funeral. republican senators filing out of the briefing with cia chief cia chief gina haspel say they are more convinced than ever that the saudi crown prince is
10:53 am
responsible for jim ault khashoggi bosma's murder. the nrcc say they were hacked during the 2018 election. we've got all of your news covered live from washington, d.c. ♪ >> harris: beti fever appears to be growing among democrats. polls show that beto o'rourke, who lost his race against ted cruz smoke emerging as a top contender to take on president trump in 2020. he came in third, bringing the power panel now, judy miller here. a pulitzer prize winning author. kila mccullough, radio host what you make of it question marks to go there's no way he will be the nominee. he is far too progressive. if the democrat's want to win the white house, he is the wrong democrat to do it. joe biden is their candidate for 2020, if they want to try and take back the rust belt areas that trumped it away from them. >> harris: even though he has run before and lost, it let's
10:54 am
hear what joe biden says before we go to judy miller. watch it. all right, then i'm going to read it. "i think i'm the most qualified person in the country to be president. the issues that we face as a country today are the issues that i have worked on my whole life. the plight of the middle class and foreign policy, former" forr vice president said. is he right? >> modesty money be the quality that people are looking for in the presence of united states. i think my ticket and the ticket that i'm hearing excitement about is -- it has some in the second position. biden-beto is on bumper stickers, great energy there that beto would bring to a ways. biden has the extremes and the ability to talk to working people. i think it could be a winning combination. >> harris: you know why i say
10:55 am
about? because ted cruz is one of the most unpopular people running. people weren't quite sure what he was going to do. >> except in texas. >> harris: also come he ran for president but he couldn't get it done. some critics of his would say, without president trump dropping into texas. >> i certainly don't get hurt anything. >> harris: right. hasn't beto o'rourke already faced president trump? >> not really, because there was no way that beto is going to win the senate statewide. he's the wrong democrat free state as conservative as texas. but the democrats have an interesting primary challenger. california is near the beginning of the pack, now. they will have to run to the left to get a big chunk of delegates early on. where the real battle is going to be is in the rust belt. it will trump retake all of the states that he took in '16? he will have to to get reelected. who takes them on those areas? is not a progressive, it's more of a traditional democrat. >> i think what beto has is what
10:56 am
trump had for republicans. that is, democrats and independents look at beto, think "this man is authentic. there's something about him that appeals to people." even though they disagree with him -- my lord, he actually defended taking a knee. colin kaepernick taking a knee in conservative texas. he didn't win, but he only lost by a few points. >> harris: karl rove told me on the air that he could have helped him win with that kind of money. it will be interesting. you say biden-beto, and i say goodbye to you both, but thank you. we will be right back. has becomy to the smartphone. ride hailing, car sharing, carpooling... mobility services are proliferating. and there's a new generation who don't seem to want to own cars in the first place. it all means massive disruption to the car industry, cities, businesses and investors.
10:57 am
i'm martyn briggs for bank of america merrill lynch. cihello, i'm an idaho as you probably know, i've been looking all over for our big idaho potato truck. it's out there somewhere reminding folks about heart healthy idaho potatoes and making contributions to local charities. so this year, i've built myself a secret weapon. there it is let's get 'em boy! awe man. always look for the grown in idaho seal.
10:58 am
10:59 am
you don't see psoriasis. you see clear skin. you see me. but if you saw me before cosentyx... ♪ i was covered. it was awful. but i didn't give up. i kept fighting. i got clear skin with cosentyx. 3 years and counting. clear skin can last. see if cosentyx could make a difference for you. cosentyx is proven to help people with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis find clear skin that can last. don't use if you're allergic to cosentyx. before starting cosentyx, you should be checked for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to. if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me now. i'm still clear. how sexy are these elbows?
11:00 am
get clear skin that can last. ask your dermatologist about cosentyx. >> harris: anita mcbride, my best today, said it so well. as we come together, that is the point. that we do it as one. i'm harris. here's dana. >> dana: fox news alert on a final farewell to the 41st president of the united states. thousands of americans filing into the capitol rotunda. this is a special edition live from washington. but first the markets taking a dive with the dow down now around 665 points. it was up to about 750 points. we are gonna try to get jerry willis to help us understand because she has been down there at the new york stock exchange. there she is

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on