Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  December 19, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

4:00 pm
paul spent a few holidays in the hospital there so it's special for him to handout the presents. this is close to our heart and they do great year long, especially in the holidays. little did we know but president obama was there giving out gifts, too. thank you for inviting us in your home. that is it for this "special report." fair, balanced and unafraid. martha? >> martha: great pictures and a great day. good for you. i know it means a lot to everybody there. >> bret: thank you. >> martha: thank you, bret. tonight, the border wall. it hangs in the balance as a short-term bill to fund the government through the beginning of the new year is now in place tonight in the senate. but it's missing one crucial line item that is very important to this president. the $5 billion that he wants to pay for the wall. the clock is clicking down to midnight on friday. the stopgap measure put forth by thenate republicans signed by the -- senate republicans is signed by the president by friday the border security can will be kicked down the road to next year when the democrats take control of the
4:01 pm
house. and all of that is unlikely to materialize after that. so this as the president is dealt another blow on border security front today. by none other than the federal judge emmitt sullivan, the same judge who had blistering words for michaelflip at the sentencing yesterday. a lot of questions raised about how that went down as you saw last night. he is taking another step today in a totally separate case. siding with asylum-seekers suing the trump administration for kicking them out of the country. he says they can come back in and have the cases heard. republican senator scott says congress needs to do "whatever it takes to fund the wall." and he joins me now tonight. senator scott, excellent to have you with us. thank you for being here. right out of the gate, is the wall that president trump promised dead? >> absolutely it cannot be dead. our president has been negotiating in good faith to make sure that the resources
4:02 pm
that are necessary to secure our country to be a sovereign nation, that requires border security. and our president will continue to work to make sure that that becomes a reality. whether that is reprogramming money he is look at, and/or more funds through the c.r. or the other vehicles we have to continue the fight. it cannot be dead because that is not in the long-term best interest of this country. i certainly am not happy about any continuing resolution that does not include wall funding. >> martha: practical matter, once you get into january, there is a very sort of ownership issue with this wall. nancy pelosi has said she would never let president trump have the wall as long as she is speaker. >> there is no doubt that nancy pelosi is trying to treat this president incredibly different than she did president obama. she provided president obama $8 billion for border security. she won't even have a discussion with our president about providing the same
4:03 pm
resources that are even more urgently necessary today than they were in 2013? that is not putting your country first. that is putting your party and politics before national security. that is an issue. >> martha: we have 60,000-something crossing the border illegally last month. that is a pretty average number. we have seen increase in those crossing over the course of the last year. as a political matter ann coulter says this about the wall issue. with regard to president's ability to be re-elected she says, "my prediction is his support will evaporate and trump will very likely not finish the term and definitely not been elected to the second term." she has been outspoken since the beginning and she was a huge supporter of the president because she thought it would happen. >> absolutely. the president is in a strong position. the numbers have not been better than they are now frankly so i'm not concerned about his re-election. i'm not sure he is thinking about re-election as it
4:04 pm
relates to the wall. this is an issue he campaigned on, not because it was good politics but because it was good policy. a sovereign nation again must defend its borders. the president recognizes that with the number of the crossings we have had in the southern border that the porous border is also national security risk because so many people who come across the border don't come from the mexico. they come through mexico. we are not sure where they come from. so for us to turn a blind eye to national security and porous border is negligent. president trump is committed to continuing this fight because it's the right thing. and as long as we continue to focus on finding the resources, whether it takes reprogramming or not we have a responsibility to protect america and that requires a strong forceful position on the border. >> martha: it takes creativity in terms of resources. we will watch to see what happens with that. as you heard me mention in the intro, judge emmitt sullivan everybody is familiar with
4:05 pm
from yesterday as well. >> unfortunately. >> martha: said asylum-seekers suing the administration because they feel like they were treated unfairly in terms of what credible threat is that they face in their home country. he says that they will have to be allowed back in the country. what do you think about that? >> we have too many activist judges who want to create law from the bench. and not follow the law. here is the truth. from 2008 to 2016, we saw a 1,700% increase in asylum seekers. how many were legitimate? fewer than 20%. we have serious issues. one of the reasons why the president seeks to close some of the loopholes is because it endangers national security. he has been consistent on this issue. if you think about that number, a 1,700% increase means that people have figured out how to game the system. the question we should ask yourselves is once they are in the country, how many show up for court? that is a critical issue that
4:06 pm
the president is trying to address. >> martha: i know it's a big week for you. criminal justice reform is something you feel very strongly about. a little bit of pushback from some of your fellow senators. senator kennedy spoke out against it today. he feels like it is going to free people who are danger to society. why do you believe it's going to actually make communities safer than ever? >> that is a great question, martha. i grew up in a single-parent household mired in poverty, in a crime-ridden neighborhood. we had our house broken into. the first thing i think about when i think about criminal justice reform is community justice reform. if you lower the number, the number today is 76% of inmates return to jail because they commit crimes. in states like south carolina, we have closed seven state prisons. public safety has gone up. because we have put in place recidivism programs that has bent the curve in a right direction. said differently, public safety increases when we focus on making sure that those who
4:07 pm
return to society are not committing crimes. this bill makes sure that the focus is on reducing recidivism, cutting in half hopefully over the next several years. we know that it works. it worked in texas. they closed eight state prisons. it's worked in georgia and south carolina. taking that red state approach. >> martha: bipartisan support and support of the president as well. i know that the opportunity zones are also important to you. i saw the signing of that bill the other day. so your friend trey gowdy is leaving washington, leaving capitol hill. >> come back, come back! >> martha: he says there is one thing -- funny you ask that. he said one thing that would bring him back. >> what was that? >> martha: listen to this. >> ever run for office again? >> never. i will get back in politics if tim scott runs for president. and if he says look, i need you to iowa or new hampshire and knock on doors. you will never see me on the ballot again. >> martha: are you getting trey gowdy back to politics sure? >> i'm not sure i can get him to walk on the homeowner's
4:08 pm
association or knock on doors. but god bless him. he has served our neighborhood incredibly well. we have been blessed by his public service. >> martha: senator tim scott, pleasure to have you here tonight and i hope you come back soon. good to be with you. >> merry christmas. >> martha: merry christmas to you, too. many thanks. >> yes, ma'am. >> martha: so still ahead this evening, the shock decision from president trump today declaring victor are you against isis in syria and preparing u.s. troops to pack up and head out. he has just released a new video message to the country about this. adam kinsinger, iraq and afghanistan war veteran disagrees with the decision. he will join us and explain why coming up next. >> president trump: our boys, our young women, our men. they are all coming back. and they are coming back now. we won. that is the way we want it. that is the way they want it.
4:09 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ the greatest wish of all is one that brings us together. the final days of wish list are here. sign and drive off in a new lincoln with zero down, zero due at signing, and a complimentary first month's payment. only at your lincoln dealer. whoooo. did you know the exact same hotel room... ...can have many different prices? that's why tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites to find the lowest price on the hotel you want. your perfect hotel room for the perfect price! [deep breath] i receive travel rewards. i visualize travel rewards. going new places! going out for a bite! going anytime. rewarded!
4:10 pm
learn more at the explorer card dot com. your insurance rates skyrocket you could fix it with a pen. how about using that pen to sign up for new insurance instead? for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise their rates because of their first accident. switch and you could save $782 on home and auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty mutual insurance.
4:11 pm
♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
4:12 pm
>> martha: we all remember the horrific images of brutal, isis killings as they established their caliphate across a large swath of iraq and syria in 2014. even on the campaign trail, president trump talked of these brutal killings and
4:13 pm
drownings with shock and determination to eradicate isis. now isis is decimated. the caliphate they had is gone. but a fierce group of fighters hangs on. somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 are said to remain. there are reports in the past eight weeks isis militants executed nearly 700 prisoners in eastern syria. they were among 1,350 civilians and fighters that the islamic state has been holding in the territory near the iraqi border. we also know now that it's confirmed that the american shequani, 26-year-old illinois native who traveled to syria to provide humanitarian relief was indeed killed by them in december of 2016. also now there are a lot of questions now about other americans who may still be held there. including austin teis whose story we talked about quite a bit. georgetown university graduate and photographer held since
4:14 pm
2012. today the president announced he would pull out all remaining 2,000 troops from sirria, declaring victory in this video released moments ago. >> president trump: i have been president for almost two years and we have really stepped it up. we have won against isis. we have beaten them and we have beaten them badly. we have taken back the land. now it's time for our troops to come back home. now we have won. it's tame -- time to come back. they are getting ready. you will see them soon. these are great american heroes. great heroes of the world. because they fought for us. but they have killed isis who hurts the world. we are proud to have done it. i'll tell you they are up there looking down on us and there is nobody happier or more proud of their families to put them in a position where they have done such good for so many people. so our boys, our young women, our men, they are all coming back.
4:15 pm
they are coming back now. we won. that is the way we want it. that is the way they want it. >> martha: our next guest is among the startled lawmakers today who are against the move from the president's own party today. illinois congressman adam kinsinger who serves on the house foreign affairs committee and major in air national guard. good to see you tonight. what is your reaction tonight? >> that video is very disturbing. i have to be honest with you. the whole thing, i will talk about the problem with what the president is doing. but i wear on my wrist, a buddy of mine that i flew with in iraq in 2008 that was killed in 2018 in operation inherent resolve. for the president to point to the sky and say they want this to infer those who have fallen, the president can't speak for fallen american soldiers. i'm not sure the fallen american soldiers want us to declare victory against a foe we haven't fully defeated yet. that is disappointing. on the bigger issue, you say we have left.
4:16 pm
we know there are existing isis fighters and this eerily reminiscent of 2011 when president obama left iraq and said just because someone puts on a bulls jersey or laker jersey doesn't make them play in the nba. that is what led to the resurrection of isis. i feel eerily similar to that now. this is disappointing. i have no idea where it came from and i deeply fear the long-term ramification of this. >> martha: that raises a good question. as many have said today, this is obviously good news for erdogan in turkey. he was about to announce a new offensive in syria. it's good news for putin. because his forces are fighting on the side of bashar al-assad in syria. it's bad news for israel. right? good news for iran. clearly. the envoy, the president's envoy against isis just said a couple of weeks ago we are not going to leave as long as iranian troops are outside iranian borders a and that includes iranian proxies and militias.
4:17 pm
john bolton told reporters they were prepared to stay as long as need be. why does it feel like out of the blue this morning did the president wake up and decide victory had been established? >> i don't know. obviously he had a discussion with the president of turkey. he made a decision i think on the basis of that. that is what it seems like. that can't bode well for the kurds by the way who have fought with us for a long time. i have no idea what went into this. i can guarantee you, almost guarantee you that none of his advisers said that this is a good thing to do. i know he has been playing golf with rand paul and maybe rand tried to convince him of this. but the people who know things about foreign policy and the devastating impacts of repeating 2011 again i'm sure were shocked as i was by this. it's frightening. >> martha: here is rand paul. >> i'm proud of the president today to hear that he is declaring victory in syria. the president has the courage to say we won in syria and we are coming home. first president in my lifetime really to do that.
4:18 pm
>> rand is forgetting that president obama said we won in iraq. and we are coming home. then we had to go back to iraq because there was a group called isis formed basically out of the old al-qaeda. we are in a generational fight. the choice to fight terrorism is not ours. the choice is where we fight terrorism. do we fight them in syria and iraq or fight them eventually back on the streets of the united states? i'm deeply, deeply worried about this. i sure hope the president reconsiders. >> martha: you know, one of the issues is that it's not over just because you want it to be over. an arbitrary end to things has in the past at times turned out to be something that takes away the victory and takes away the accomplishments that were made by our dedicated service men and women. here is president trump on the campaign trail in september of 2015, talk about president obama pulling out of iraq in what he said then was an
4:19 pm
arbitrary way. watch this. >> remember when obama was saying, "we will leave, we are leaving iraq" as of a certain date. now the opponents said wow, that's great. what do we have to fight anymore for. let's just wait a year and a half. that's what happened. so i want to be unpredictable, okay? i would never have given a date. >> martha: is that the message tonight to iran? >> well, certainly unpredictable. nobody saw this coming this morning. yeah. the message to iran is you out-lasted us. imagine if you're an isis recruiter now and trying to convince people this is the coming caliphate. you couldn't convince you because the united states crushed you. now the united states is leaving and you can say look, i told you this is the coming caliphate. we had trials and losses but this is coming back again. this will be a huge boon for the recruiting isis in the future. i'm plore the president to -- i implore the president to
4:20 pm
reconsider this. there is no shame to reconsider this. there is damage done regardless but less than if you bring everybody home. >> martha: congressman, thank you. good to have you here. >> martha: the private cables between the european diplomats hacked into revealing true feelings about president trump and how they feel about each other and what is going on in the world. this is interesting to listen to this. david bossby and austan goolsbee join me next. day off, day off, and neither will i. and i treat my mbc with new everyday verzenio- the only one of its kind that can be taken every day. in fact, verzenio is a cdk4 & 6 inhibitor for postmenopausal women with hr+, her2- metastatic breast cancer, approved, with hormonal therapy, as an everyday treatment for a relentless disease. verzenio + an ai is proven to help women
4:21 pm
have significantly more time without disease progression, and more than half of women saw their tumors shrink vs an ai. diarrhea is common, may be severe, and may cause dehydration or infection. before taking verzenio, tell your doctor if you have fever, chills, or other signs of infection. verzenio may cause low white blood cell counts, which may cause serious infection that can lead to death. serious liver problems can occur. symptoms may include tiredness, loss of appetite, stomach pain, and bleeding or bruising more easily than normal. blood clots that can lead to death have also occurred. talk to your doctor right away if you notice pain or swelling in your arms or legs, shortness of breath, chest pain or rapid breathing or heart rate. tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to become pregnant. common side effects include nausea, infections, low red and white blood cells and platelets, decreased appetite, headache, abdominal pain, tiredness, vomiting, and hair thinning or loss. i'm relentless. and my doctor and i choose to treat my metastatic breast cancer with verzenio. be relentless. ask your doctor about everyday verzenio.
4:22 pm
well, how ari dunno.ssage chairs woi'm still a little stressed about buying our new house. well, it's a good thing we don't have to worry about homeowners insurance. geico can help with that. we can get homeowners insurance help from geico? well, sure. and they could save us a bunch too. mmhmm? i'm starting to feel better already. get to know geico and see how much you could save on homeowners and condo insurance.
4:23 pm
4:24 pm
>> martha: they have done it again. this time they have stolen classified communications to expose secret conversations between the world leaders including ones that president xi was having about president trump. trace gallagher takes us inside the story today and the stunning details of what they found and posted. hi, trace. >> hi, martha. these were not top secret diplomatic communications from the european union hacked. instead the lower level classified documents and the memos were intercepted but they offer the compelling fly on the wall insight to how some world leaders are dealing with president trump. chinese president xi jinping compared what he called trump's bullying of beijing to a, "no rules freestyle boxing
4:25 pm
match. european diplomats describe a meeting between trump and putin as successful. at least for putin. then there are the e.u. back channel communications. following the helsinki meeting in july, the european diplomats talk about the damage control effort by the white house after president trump went off script in joint news conference with putin and said he would allow russians to question former u.s. diplomats in exchange for americans being allowed to interrogate russians who had been indicted by the special counsel robert mueller. then they assured them that president trump's agreement would be nipped down to ensure americans from being questioned. i included conversation with leaders in saudi arabia and israel. they only said that.
4:26 pm
>> all communications held vaser inabilities so we are always dealing with the challenge to upgrade the systems to respond to the threats. they left out the fact they had been warned for years that the aging communication system was an easy target. there is little doubt that this is the work of the china library army known as the chinese government. martha? >> martha: trace, thank you. joins us is a thousand or the new book. and goolsbee president obama former chief economist. great to have you both with us. there are a couple of ways to interpret the information if you look at what it says. david, what is your interpretation? >> i'm not surprised to say the least inside the cable between diplomats reporting in on meetings that they see president trump as a disrupter. we have heard it before. he is not part of the broken
4:27 pm
status quo that he got elected to dismantle. so whether it's fixing the bad trail deals or making nato pay for the fair share of the military. any number of the policies that the president put forth that the countries don't want. that is not surprising he would be seen as what of an agitator, disrupter. >> martha: that is clear when you look at these. it's interesting. i think getting along when you have imbalanced trade relationships is not necessarily great thing. clearly he has shaken up a number of the relationships and put people on their feet. if president xi thinks that he is a little bit of a bully, i don't know that is necessarily a bad thing. >> i'm of two minds. you know i'm not a big fan of giving the hackers what they
4:28 pm
want. what they want is this. they tap in to our communications system and then open the kimono so everybody can see where the disagreements were and then we talk about it. now that said if you look at the cables, i think it is true that they are nervous about trump. some of that nervousness called for. i guess i would say president trump wants it to be. that he keeps them offbalance. though i will say some of these if you look at the cables, they are reacting to the same thins that lead even some of the supporters in the u.s. to cringe. when he fires off stuff off-script or he goes on twitter to say things he probably shouldn't. you can see the allies reacting and you can see the u.s. officials saying no, no. he didn't mean that. he is not going to do that. so, i think there are two different types of cables in there. >> martha: i think just given what he says himself he
4:29 pm
probably doesn't mind if they think he is unpredictable and he sees that playing into america first. >> martha, that is exactly right. he got elected as president of the united states. not president of the world, as barack obama tried to be. so he said he was going to pull out of the paris trade deal, the bad paris trade deal. he did. they don't like that. he pulled out of the bad iran deal. he promised he would do it. they didn't like that. that is what makes him a little bit as a president they can't read. and they don't feel comfortable with. that is a good thing for america. >> martha: leave it there. >> there is some good some bad. >> quick thought. that is a good thought. >> saying they would interrogate americans was nuts and we didn't do that. >> martha: that was not the best moment of the helsinki news conference for sure. thank you, guys. thank you for weighing in. good to see you both. >> thank you. >> martha: coming up next, more on the stunning decision from a federal judge who says
4:30 pm
that deported asylum-seekers have a right now to come back to the united states. to have the cases heard here. judge andrew napolitano on the judge who made the decision and has gotten attention this week. also the decision itself. i'm ken jacobus and i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. and last year, i earned $36,000 in cash back. which i used to offer health insurance to my employees. what's in your wallet?
4:31 pm
4:32 pm
whoooo. here's a trip tip! when you search hotels on tripadvisor... enter your destination and the dates of your stay. tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites... to find the best deal on the right hotel for you.
4:33 pm
4:34 pm
>> martha: what a week. to another stunning turn of vents from the judge who provided over the sentencing hearing. today judge sullivan ruled against the immigration asylum claims saying those who sued after they were deported should be brought back in to the country to have the claims heard. joining me is judge napolitano, fox news senior judicial analyst. great to have you back tonight. i want to get in both cases tonight. let's start with the asylum one. according to the department of justice under the laws passed by congress asylum is only for those with legitimate fear of
4:35 pm
persecution on the basis of the racial, gnash tallty, public, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. >> right. the justice department under attorney general sessions promulgated rules that the congress could have disturbing and did not. saying if you come here claiming domestic violence or gang violence we won't let you in because you don't fit in the category, the statutory basis for asylum. judge sullivan -- i read this and i said this can't be the same judge sullivan but it is. we'll talk about it in a minute. judge emmitt sullivan, the same judge who provided over the flynn stensing yesterday issued a ruling today. it's 107 pages long. he didn't write it today. this was ready to come out. saying that fleeing domestic violence or fleeing gang violence is the moral equivalent of fleeing official government repression. in one case the government oppresses you because you belong to a group that the government hates or in another
4:36 pm
case the government fails to protect you, so therefore, you are sitalled to make a asylum claim. the jeff sessions rule again, justice department rule that congress could have disturbed and didn't is invalid. >> martha: but in these cases they are coming through honduras and el salvadored on passing several countries on the way to this country and mexico offered them asylum. >> they rejected that because they want to come here. >> martha: can you pick and choose the country you want asylum in or i have to plea because i'm in dane se -- i have to flee because i'm in danger and as soon as i'm safe i'll stay. >> great question. if you are truly just fleeing violence in your country you go to the first place in which you can be safe. if you are truly trying to get to the land of golden opportunity for a reason that does not permit you to come here because the economic conditions are better here than in honduras, which is profoundly not a lawful basis for asylum you reject mexico's offer. >> martha: they say they were coming to a better life
4:37 pm
which everyone understands but we need a process to let them in or out. >> surely the federal government doesn't need to find them and bring them back. but when they knock on the door again the application will be accept and they will be detained in one of the tent cities the government built at the border and then there is a trail before an immigration judge at the border. that immigration judge will determine if it's real or fanciful claim. >> martha: i want your thought on what happened with michael flynn yesterday. this judge who made some mistakes in the things he said and he had to claw them back. >> right. in my career i sentenced over 1,000 people. state court but for almost any crime you can imagine. you have to be temperant and measured and sober when you sentence someone. you can't go off or express the personal rage about them. you certainly can't misstate the facts.
4:38 pm
nor can you say this to the government. did he commit treason? that's the most incendiary thing you could say in the environment for which there is absolutely zero evidence. of course, both sides said no, no, no. we know definition of treason, providing aid and comfort to the enemy in wartime or waging war against the united states. your honor, there is no basis for that whatsoever. it's almost as if he was so taken aback by the prevailing public opinion this judge thinks this is a little white lie and the f.b.i. knew about it anyway and he is going to throw it out. he went 180 degrees in the opposite direction. the question now is can the judge who expressed personal animosity fairly sentence flynn in march? that is what will be litigated now. >> martha: you know, the suggestion, the question about treason, he based on an
4:39 pm
understanding that he professed that michael flynn was working for the turkish government while national security adviser in the white house, which the prosecution said no, that is not true, judge. that wasn't the case. he finished the contract long before he went to the white house. >> he took treason statement back after a break. >> martha: but you wouldn't know that if you watched 99% of what is going on tv this morning. >> that is the most incendiary thing -- >> martha: once it's out there. >> correct. he took it back after half an hour conference. we don't know what went on in the conference. government said we want the general to get zero time in jail. when the government says that, you say thank you very much, i have nothing else to say. you don't argue about the way they were prosecuted. >> martha: they should be quiet as mice and hope what they hoped for would happen. >> correct. in fairness to judge sullivan i will say this.
4:40 pm
sometimes the government and the defense lawyer come to you with a deal you don't think is fair. so it has to be a deal both it will gants agree on, the court has to accept it -- litigants agree on but the court has to accept it. the way to do this is not make incendiary comments. it's to ask questions. whit did you prosecute the two budgets for failing to register as foreign agents and not him? >> martha: legitimate question. >> i'm need to know. how much help did he give you? did it outweigh the gravity of the crimes for which there is enough evidence to prosecute and convict him? >> martha: thank you. great to see you. >> of course. >> coming up next, the honorable act from dan crenshaw war veteran and soon to be congressman who stepped in for an s.n.l. star in need. governor huckabee joins me next. >> i appreciate you saying that. ♪we good?
4:41 pm
>> we're good. ♪ ♪ ♪ the greatest wish of all is one that brings us together. the final days of wish list are here. sign and drive off in a new lincoln with zero down, zero due at signing, and a complimentary first month's payment. only at your lincoln dealer.
4:42 pm
whoooo. did you know the exact same hotel room... ...can have many different prices? that's why tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites to find the lowest price on the hotel you want. your perfect hotel room for the perfect price!
4:43 pm
4:44 pm
>> martha: when you met pete davidson how did you get along? how did it go at first? >> pretty well. my take on it was they genuinely didn't really mean it the way it came out. i think they were inseriously
4:45 pm
apologetic and wanted to make it right. >> martha: congressman elect dan crenshaw on the story last month talking about the unlikely bond formed with the s.n.l. star pete davidson who once mocked the wounded veteran in a skit. but now crenshaw is being mended for an honorable act of kindness. he reached out to davidson after this troubling social media post that pete davidson wrote. i really don't want to be on this earth anymore. i'm doing my best to stay here for you but i actually don't know how much longer i can last." chilling. crenshaw picked up the phone to deliver a personal message saying, "i told him everybody had a purpose in this world. god put you here for a reason. and it's your job to find that purpose. you should live that way." hear now former arkansas governor mike huckabee, fox news contributor. you know, obviously, it breaks your heart to see what pete davidson wrote in that. we wish him well. i think we all were endeared
4:46 pm
to him watching his back and forth with congressman crenshaw. and obviously he has some challenges. we wish him well. >> well, pete clearly has real troubles and my heart goes out to him. when i saw the social media post, my heart sank for him. this is a young man with some deep, deep hurt. what an amazing thing dan crenshaw did by reaching out to him and having built a relationship with him that didn't start out too healthy. it just show what is a classy guy dan crenshaw is. i was just thinking my gosh, i wish we could clone dan crenshaw and put him in the other 434 seats in the house of representatives. >> martha: as i said, i hope pete davidson is doing well. and we all, we all wish him well and we are glad he reached out. that is the most important thing you can do when someone is in trouble is reach out and talk and take time. that is what dan crenshaw did. >> absolutely. >> martha: switching gears to talk about the super bowl
4:47 pm
which is having trouble to play with rar moon 5 -- with maroon 5 as a special guest in halftime. amy schumer boycotted. she says i have done two super bowl commercials in the last couple of years and i'm so stupid thinking my opinion would matter, right? guess what? i may have made a difference. she feels like she is helping the boy count thing. your thought -- boycott thing. your thoughts? >> the nfl has ruined the brand. the tv ratings are down by double digits. there are people that don't renew sky boxes anymore because they don't want to be part of it. all because the league didn't have the courage to just tell a player look, we are not going to take a knee in the national anthem. this was an insult to a major part of the fan base. a few years ago i was at a tomato festival in arkansas. the pink tomato festival in warren, arkansas. i'll never forget. they asked miss pink tomato, which was a big deal. >> sounds like a big deal. >> the crown, the sash, the whole thing. they sad her, was she excited
4:48 pm
about having a part of the tomato-eating contest? she looked with all the tv cameras and said i really don't like tomatoes that much. i thought this is like the nfl saying to half their fans we really don't like you guys very much. that is the result this whole controversy resulted in. just decimation of the ratings and the popularity. i don't think it will ever come back to where it was. i really don't. >> martha: it's an interesting boycott on the part of the folks. it feels like there is not that many people kneeling anymore and it continues to string the whole thing out. i have a suggestion. i saw a good band open at the p.b.r. i don't know if you remember that in nashville there. he is. mike huckabee and ryan weaver. are you available? you want to join maroon 5 at the super bowl? >> i will tell you what. anything that ryan weaver, a great american hero, he served the country in the military honorably. if he asked me to do
4:49 pm
something, even the super bowl i'd show up and do it. i admire him and i love the p.b.r. great event. >> martha: hopefully the message will get across. it was a fun night. my first time and i liked it. it's good to see you. thank you very much. >> thank you, martha. merry christmas. >> martha: you, too. merry christmas. coming up, this is an incredible story of one sailor's life saving action. i think this is a story you have never heard about pearl harbor. and this young man. when we come back. >> the true story of navy sailor joe george who disobeyed a direct order on december 7, 1941, and chose instead to rescue the final six crewmen off the burning uss arizona. if i built a van, it would do more than haul. if i built a van, it would carry my entire business. i'd make it available in dozens, make that thousands of configurations. it would keep an eye on my fleet. [ beeping ] and an eye out for danger. with active brake assist. if i built a van, i'd make it available in diesel and gas.
4:50 pm
and i'd build it right here, in south carolina. introducing the all new sprinter starting at $33,790. built in the usa. mercedes-benz. vans. born to run. psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis, little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats differently. for psoriasis, 75% clearer skin is achievable, with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. for psoriatic arthritis, otezla is proven to reduce joint swelling, tenderness, and pain. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment.
4:51 pm
upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you.
4:52 pm
4:53 pm
>> tonight, the story of an american hero nearly lost from the history books, navy sailor joe george defied direct orders on the attack on pearl harbor in a bold and courageous modify that saved the lives of six u.s.
4:54 pm
sailors. his action earning a bronze star years after his death. story lives on in a story documented by sinise. >> on a vessel doing some work when all hell broke loose along battle ship row. around six minutes past 8:00 a.m., after already taking several hits from japanese bombs, the uss arizona suffered its fatal wound. commander young ordered all lines connecting the uss vets till to the uss arizona be cut so the vet vestel could pull away from the battle ship. as the smoke cleared joe george saw the six trapped men. despite being given a direct order and the ongoing japanese attack in pearl harbor, joe george was not going to leave those men on the arizona to die. >> joining me now tim gray, filmmaker of lifeline, pearl harbor's unknown hero and
4:55 pm
founder of the world war ii foundation. tim, good to have you with us. >> spectacular to have you with here. >> gary is wonderful. >> george is an interesting guy because the ussvestel was tied up to the arizona. it was a repair ship. the executive officer told joe george stop cutting the lines from the vestel to the arizona. we have got to get our ship out of here. george looked up and saw six men, the last six men who are on the uss arizona alive. and he made a decision at that point do i cut this next line and get my ship free or i do save these men? and joe george was a rambunctious guy. he was a boxer. he was a brawler. he liked to drink. he was old navy. and he made a decision in that moment to save those final six men on the uss arizona. and it was one of those decisions that any soldier has to make in combat. it's not necessarily the rule book decision. it's the decision that is
4:56 pm
the right decision. and he made it. >> martha: and they owe him his life and so do all of their children and here is another piece of sound from the movie, watch. >> we are here on account of him. my sons and my family and my granddaughter. >> god knew on that morning of december 7th, 1941, just what was going to happen. and he knew he would have this larger than life man joe george, my father, in the place he was for a reason, to save these magnificent men. >> we didn't get it done. joe could appreciative. >> martha: gives me chills watching that you think of over 1,000 men went down with the ship. most of them were asleep. it was early morning on the arizona and these individuals were saved because of him. and he was home the night before because he was in trouble. >> he got in trouble. he got into a fight. he was a boxer. he was a heavyweight boxer
4:57 pm
for the navy and he was one of the best boxers in the navy. after he had his official boughtbout he went out in honolu hotel street which are where all the bars are and everything. he got into unofficial fight and the mp's came and put him back on the ship on december 5th. he just happened to be there confined to the ship on the morning of december 7th. and when all hell broke loose. and he was the right man in the right place at the right time in history. and he was a big guy. he was muscular. he was the only guy probably who could have got than line over the 70 feet over from the vestel to the arizona so these survivors that you just saw in that clip don stratten being one of them could hand over hand get over. and there are generations and there are grand kids and kids and great grand kids who are alive because of this man joe george who was not known and was one of the first heroes of world war ii for america. >> martha: he never spoke about it. his children didn't know
4:58 pm
that he was this truly great hero that saved lives. >> yeah. he didn't speak about it until much later in his life. and when the arizona survivors, two of the six who were still alive, don stratten and lauren bruiner. they decided this guy needed to be recognized. cass sin young was the captain of the vestel he won the medal of honor at pearl harbor. he was killed at the battle. he wrote entry in logbook commending joe george 2456789 was it. it went away after cassen young dyed. these veterans said this guy deserves a medal. he wasn't the perfect model sailor so what he did was saved six lives. don stratten and his son randy and others spent 15 years trying to get a medal. they met with president trump in the oval office. they met with secretary mattis. they went to the pentagon. they met with cory gardner and jeff flake and right at the last minute in november 6 last year, a bronze star with a v for
4:59 pm
valor came through and was presented to his daughter joanne taylor on the uss arizona memorial. the only time a medal has been presented on the uss arizona memorial. and he is just one of the unsung heroes of pearl harbor. there are others we know about. dory miller and many, many others. but these are the stories that we like to tell to motivate people to learn more. >> martha: i'm so glad you are telling them. people can see it on pbs. it's been running since november 1st. >> correct. >> martha: it's one of the many stories that you tell and keep these stories alive. >> thank you for having me, it's an honor. >> martha: that is our story for this wednesday night. tomorrow, my exclusive untold story behind senator susan collins kavanaugh vote. she explained things to me that she has never talked about in this whole process and how she got to yes. that is tomorrow night at 7:00. we will see you there tomorrow night, everybody. tucker carlson is up next. ♪ ♪
5:00 pm
>> tucker: good evening and welcome to tucker karl sob tonight. we begin this show with shocking news, lying has been detected here in washington. mendacity, deceit, d do you do u pliews tisness. it happened we can prove it to be clear, news anchors didn't do it. news anchors don't lie. they are good people. neither do professional news commentators the ones making millions on the side as lobbyists for foreign governments or big national corporations. commentators always tell the truth. and that's why they, and their scrupulously honest news anchor friends are

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on