Skip to main content

tv   Outnumbered Overtime With Harris Faulkner  FOX News  February 27, 2019 10:00am-11:01am PST

10:00 am
provide them with information that leads to ongoing investigations. i am currently working with them right now on several other issues of investigation that concerns them. that they are looking at. if those investigations become fruitful, then there is a possibility for rule 35 motion. i don't know what the benefit in terms of met don my time would be. this congressional hearing today is not going to be the basis of a rule 35 motion. i wish it was. but it's not. >> i would like to yield some time to congressman jordan. >> i yield to the gentleman from recoleta. >> mr. cohen come i will come back to the question i asked before with regard to your false statement. they submitted to congress. on here, it was very clear that it asked for contracts with foreign entities over the last two years. have you had any foreign contract with foreign entities
10:01 am
whether it's the korean airline or cause extend bta bank? your testimony earlier said you had contracts with them. in fact, he went into detail. the >> mr. cohen: i believe it talked about lobbying. i did no lobbying. >> in your testimony -- i'm not asking about lobbying. >> mr. cohen: they are not government agencies. they are privately or publicly traded companies. >> do you have foreign? >> mr. cohen: i currently have no foreign contracts. >> did you have any over the last two years? >> mr. cohen: foreign contracts? >> contract with foreign entities. did you have contracts? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> why did you not put them in the form? it's a criminal offense did not put them in the form. i did not do that? >> mr. cohen: because those foreign companies that you are referring to are not government companies. >> it says nongovernmental, mr. cohen. you signed it. >> mr. cohen: they're talking about me as being nongovernmental. >> it says for an agency. it's as foreign contracts. do you want us to read it to
10:02 am
you? >> mr. cohen: i read it read it and it was reviewed by my counsel. i may not government employee. it was not lobbying. they are not -- because it has nothing to do the flooding. since the criminal offense do not list all your foreign contracts. that's what this is. >> mr. cohen: then i will take a look at it before i leave. and hopefully i will amend it prior to leaving. because that's not the way i read your document. >> is just one more example, mr. cohen, of you are skirting the truth. i want to ask one other question. once a question, mr. cohen. it's my time, not yours. where you advised or was your counsel advised to withhold your written testimony to the latest possible date, as john dean said last night on cnn? >> mr. cohen: was at my what? >> where you advised or was your counsel advised to hold your written testimony to this committee at the latest possible date to get it to this committee at the latest possible date, as
10:03 am
john dean said that he advised you? yes or no? >> mr. cohen: no. >> he never advised you? >> mr. cohen: john dean? i've never spoken to john dean. >> has he spoken to her attorney? ask your attorney, he's right there behind you. >> mr. cohen: he was working till 11:00 or 12:00 at night. >> you knew you were coming for some time. >> answer the question. >> mr. cohen: we were working until 11 or 12:00 last night to finish everything. >> so you were writing it last night, mr. cohen? don't give me that bull. >> mr. cohen: we were making edits all the way through the night. i'm sorry. >> thank you, mr. chairman. mr. cohen, in november of 2013, president donald trump testified under oath in a lawsuit related to the field real estate project trump international hotel and tower in fort lauderdale. during the deposition, president trump was asked about his knowledge of felix sater, a
10:04 am
russian-born real estate developer and convicted member of the russian mafia who, according to press reports, pled guilty for his role in a $40 million document stockman ablation scheme. it is worth noting and is well publicized the direct relationship between the russian mafia and the kremlin. over the years, president trump was asked how many times he interacted with convicted russian mobster felix sater. in 2013, president trump testified that, "not many. if you were sitting in the room right now, i really wouldn't know what he looked like." mr. cohen, as you previously testified, isn't it true that president trump knew convicted russian mobster felix sater in 2013 when he made that statement? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> isn't it true that because of mr. sater's relationship to the trump organization, that he had an office in trump tower? >> mr. cohen: and on the 26th floor. >> the 26 264 is important why?
10:05 am
>> mr. cohen: because it's mr. trump's floor. >> so he has an office on the same floor as president trump? >> mr. cohen: and in fact, his office, when he left, began my office. >> isn't it also true that convicted russian mobster sater even had business cards indicating that he was a senior advisor to donald trump, as reported by "the washington post"? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> did convicted russian mobster sater pay rent for his office? >> to >> mr. cohen: no, he did not. >> so, based on those facts, isn't it true that president trump misled at best, or worse, lied under oath? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> in december of 2015, president trump was asked again about his relationship to convicted russian mobster mr. sater by reporter for the associated press. he stated, "felix sater -- boy,
10:06 am
i have to even think about it." he added, "i am not that familiar with him." mr. cohen, where would we find business records that explain the president's relationship to the convicted russian mobster felix sater customer up with those be in the trump organization files? >> mr. cohen: they would be in the files, they would be ccs to bay rock, the name of his company. i suspect on his email address, possibly hard files. in possession of mr. sater. >> when you say in possession of the trump organization -- where? >> mr. cohen: it depends upon who the attorney was that was working on it. now it would probably be in a box off-site. they have a storage facility
10:07 am
that they put old files end. >> in addition to convicted russian mobster sater, do you know of any other ties to convicted or alleged mobster's president trump may have? >> mr. cohen: i am not aware. >> is it true that many people with ties to russia ultimately bought condos in trump properties? usually for cash? if so, how many are we talking? ten, 20, 50? >> mr. cohen: honestly, sir, i'm not aware of any. the statement you are referring to i believe was made by either eric or don. and i don't agree with it. >> are you aware of any cash purchases by russian oligarchs and family members of trump properties? >> mr. cohen: i'm not aware of that. when you say "cash," do you mean walking with a satchel of ruble's? the answer is, i've never seen that happen or heard of it. i will tell you when we sold mr. trump's property in a down
10:08 am
my palm beach, it came in by wire. that came from a bank account. >> you talked about president trump doing deals such as the trump tower in moscow. was he directly involved in those investigations, and how do you know? >> mr. cohen: the answer is yes, as it relates to negotiations. its follow-ups as to what's currently happening. what is happening with russia. meanings and he wants to give a status report. the problem with this is that the project never events because mr. sater was unable to provide me with proof that some of or controlled a piece of property we could build all my build on. >> the gentlest time has expired. >> why did mr. trump choose to hire you, and why did he trust
10:09 am
you with the various tasks that you perform for him question mike's piece of i don't know, sir. you have to ask him the questio question. >> we have heard here that you have bad character, you've admitted to that, over the year years. you have no idea why he chose to hire you? >> mr. cohen: in 2006 i was asked by don jr. to come be with his father. i did. he then followed up by asking if i would take a look at an issue that was occurring at trump world tower with the board. i went ahead and looked into it and found that the statements of the board were making about mr. trump were inaccurate. the reason don came to me is because i had an apartment there for investment. my parents had an apartment there. my in-laws lives there. friends of mine. we all bought it as a big block from a brokerage company. we got a good price on each uni unit. we ultimately turned over the board, and i became actually the treasurer of the board because the out-of-control spending was
10:10 am
going to put the building into bankruptcy. and i was proud to say that, within a year, we had plus $1 million versus minus $1.3 million. at the end of the day, mr. trump appreciated that and test me with something else, to handle the problem that don jr. had created in terms of a business license deal. we resolved that. then, on top of that, the third time mr. trump had asked me to take a look at the third trump entertainment resort. chapter 11 reorganization. because he had a series of questions that he wanted answer answers. i read the stacks of books, give him answers he needed, and with that the next time i was sitting in his office and he asked me if i was happy at the sleepy old firm i was with. i said yes. he said, "would you rather work
10:11 am
for me?" and i said, "are you offering me a job?" and he said, "yeah." we negotiated and i never went back to my office. >> you suggested that the president sometimes communicates his wishes indirectly. for example, you said, "mr. trump did not directly tell me to lie to congress. that's not how he operates." can you explain how he does this? >> mr. cohen: sure. it would be no different than what i said, "that's a nice looking thai have ever seen. isn't it?" what are you going to do, fight with him? you say it's the nicest looking when you've ever seen. that's how he speaks paganism to be questions or orders. he speaks in a code. and i understand the code because i've been around him for a decade. >> and it's your impression that others understand it as well? >> mr. cohen: most people, yes. >> i don't know whether we should believe you today, but
10:12 am
i'm going to ask you this one last question. what is the truth that you know president trump fears most? >> mr. cohen: that's a tough question, sir. i don't have an answer for that one. what does he fear most? >> what is the truth that he fears most customer from your perspective? again, i don't know whether we should believe you here today. >> mr. cohen: it's a tough question, sir. i don't have an answer to that question. >> let me ask you this -- what principles have you chosen to follow in your life, and do you wish to follow different principles now? >> mr. cohen: i've always tried to be a good person. i've tried to be a great friend. there were many, i think over 40 statements written in my support to the sentencing judge.
10:13 am
i have friends who are treated incredibly well that i know for over 40 years, and i treat people after 40 minutes the same exact way. in my perfect? no. do i make mistakes, yes. have i in the absolutely. i'm going to pay the consequences for it. i would like to do is get my life back and help my children, give them support, grow old. that's what i would like to be. >> and you're following a different set of principles and after a life? >> mr. cohen: i do. i'm trying. i am trying very hard. i think of your sprayed some of everyone's make it difficult to try and show some redemption. but i am trying. i am trying. >> thank you. >> mr. cohen: thank you >> mr. helton? >> thank you, mr. chairman. i want to mention really quick,
10:14 am
a current dumb equivocation on the truth testimony form. the mention was around whether it's foreign entities at all. the question was in fact whether witnesses of any contracts or payments originating with a foreign government. it does not cover all foreign entities, just foreign government entities. i want you to review this issue over lunch or your attorneys. if you need to amend your form, we ask that you do that before the conclusion of today's hearing. also, i represent a purple district. i did not come here for partisan bickering. in fact, i actively wanted to avoid it. so when i ask these questions today, it is not as someone who has a vendetta against the president. it is a someone who comes from generations of service members who swore an oath to obey the orders of the president of the united states and who, along with myself and every single of a person appear, swore to uphold and defend the constitution of the united states.
10:15 am
my forefathers served their country, they served their commander in chief, and they served the idea that america is free and just and that the law of the land rules us all. especially those in the highest levels of our government. so i ask these questions to help determine whether our very own president committed felony crimes while serving in the oval office, including efforts to conceal payments that were intended to mislead the public and influence the outcome of an election. i hope to god that's not the case. mr. cohen, engineering 22nd, 2018 -- just days after "the wall street journal" wrote the story that mr. cohen paid $130,000 to stephanie clifford to silencer during the 2016 presidential campaign -- a nonprofit watchdog called common cause filed the complaint with the deferment of justice and fcc alleging the payment to ms. clifford may have represented an illegal in-kind contributor to the term camping. i ask that their complaint be entered into the record.
10:16 am
on february 13th 2010, mr. cohen, he sent a statement to the reporters that said "i use my own funds to facilitate a payment of 130,000 to miss stephanie clifford," and neither the trump organization or the campaign were involved or you reimburse me for the claim indirectly or directly." was that false? >> mr. cohen: it was not false. i purposely left out mr. trump from that statement. >> okay. why did you say it that way? >> mr. cohen: because that's what was discussed to do. between myself, mr. trump, and allen weisselberg. >> so it was carefully worded? >> mr. cohen: yes, ma'am. >> a reporter for the magazine "vanity fair" has reported that she interviewed the at the very next day on 314, 2018, about the payment and reimbursement. as she wrote, "last 314th i interviewed him about the statement to give the fcc in which he said trump didn't know about the stormy payment or reimbursement for it." he recalled his meeting with the
10:17 am
reporter? >> mr. cohen: i do. >> she also wrote, "trump called when i was there. i didn't hear much, but he wanted to go over with the mustering would be." is accurate? >> mr. cohen: it is. >> to the president call you when you are having the meeting with the reported? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> did he call you to grenade on public messaging about the payments to ms. clifford in or around february of 2018? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> what did he ask or suggest that you say about the payments or reimbursements? >> mr. cohen: he was not knowledgeable of these reimbursements. he was not knowledgeable of my actions. >> he ask you to say that? >> mr. cohen: yes, ma'am. >> great. in addition to the personal check for $35,000 in july of 2017, is there additional corroborating evidence that mr. trump, while a sitting president of the united states, directly reimburse to hush money as part of a criminal scheme to violate campaign finance laws? >> mr. cohen: there are 11 checks that i received for the year. the reason why there are 11 is because, as i stated before, one
10:18 am
of them had two checks. >> i do have copies of all those? >> mr. cohen: i could get copies, i would have to go to the bank. >> so we can get copies of all the checks mr. term provided to you as part of the scheme? >> mr. cohen: it's either from his personal account, as was demonstrated in the exhibit, or from the donald j. trump account. the trust account. >> thank you, mr. cohen. i yield back the remainder of my time. >> mr. gibbs? >> think you, mr. chairman. i've just been sitting here, i'm new to the committee and not an attorney. sometimes -- maybe i could be a better attorney, i don't know. looking through this, you come in here and you rail on on the president of the united states, the commander in chief, while he is over across the pacific ocean trying to negotiate a deal to make this world safer. having this committee at this
10:19 am
time, i think it's a new president. you call him a racist, a cheat, and his character. i've been with present a little bit. i didn't see that. i see president very sincere, trying to make it better for every american. and for you to come here do tha that, it's really unbelievable. real repentance would be to go serve your time and don't come back here and make allegations. that you can't substantiate. i look here from the remarks of the prosecutor of the southern district of new york. false statements to banks, which was far from a nicely live in. it's one long series of self-serving lies. earlier in the testimony, i think i heard you say it's only home equity loan. but apparently the press gators in new york think their other financial things you did.
10:20 am
he managed to commit a series of crimes, while holding herself as and upstanding member of the ba bar. they wrote that your consciousness of wrongdoing is fleeting. your remorse is minimal and that your instincts to blame others as strong. so i'm kind of left here -- why customer he worked for the president for ten years before he was president. if you have any sense of integrity are trying to tell us you have now, it's that bad, why didn't you leave customer humor and stuck there for financial reasons. good ways to leave, you the president working tirelessly, and you couldn't make these allegations. you could've lived stomach left anytime you want. it seems to me were trying to save face. one of the other questions is that it looks to me like you're going have a very lucrative deal at some point in your life, because you don't look like you are close to retirement. you will have some kind of lucrative deal.
10:21 am
it has come up a little bit. it talks with you and your attorney, members of congress and steps can be said there were some discussions. where any of those discussions that you or your attorneys had with numbers of congress or staff or prosecutors to considerations to favor or other considerations to you or a family in the future? >> mr. cohen: know, the conversations were about the topics. there were things that originally we could not speak about at the request of whether it was a special counsel office or the seven district or any of the other agencies, including the house select into or the senate select intel. sir, just for your personal edification here, i was asked to come here. your chairman sent a letter to mr. davis and i accepted. so i'm here voluntarily. >> i understand that.
10:22 am
>> mr. cohen: if you believe -- >> i think this is political theater. >> mr. cohen: it's not political theater for me. i take no pleasure in saying anything negative about mr. trump. you have met him for a short period of time. i have been with him for over a decade. i've traveled with him internationally, i have spent dinners with him. it doesn't make me feel good about what's going on here. as far as saving face, i'm not sure how being in front of the world, being called -- speak of these lucrative book deals and moves the come about, i think you'll be pretty good in about five years. i yield the rest of my time to the chairman breaking member. >> i think the agenda and fielding. earlier you said you started the campaign. >> mr. cohen: that's correct coming 2011. >> you started the campaign for president trump? >> i certainly did, sir. >> now that is news. >> shouldtrumprun.com. 2011. it was my idea. i saw a document in a newspaper
10:23 am
that said, "would you vote for in 2012?" and 6% of people said michael -- 6% of people said they would vote for donald trump. so i brought into his office and i said to him, "mr. term, take a look at this." and with that is where it all started. >> i'm sure he had never thought of anything like that until you came along. i've got eight seconds. would you talk to mr. schiff about? >> i spoke to mr. schiff about e upcoming hearing. >> not just would have to show up question my but we are going to talk about? >> the gentleman's time has expired. >> thank you, mr. chairman. thank you, mr. cohen. i know the other side is
10:24 am
suggesting that you are an incorrigible liar and that you are lying here today, but i can't think of anything you have to gain from this point about lying. they talk about book deals and other things they want to do, but i see a lot more that you could lose by telling the truth today, given the threats and other things that have been made against you and your family. so that is how i'm interpreting it. of course, you brought documents with you, as well. to bolster the credibility of your testimony. i did want to go back to an earlier line of questioning regarding the preparation of your testimony before you came before the intelligence committee. you talked about a meeting at the white house where the testimony was being reviewed.
10:25 am
i think you said that it was the white house of attorney jay sekulow. he said there were edits that you made to your testimony. on that topic, who at the white house reviewed your testimony? >> mr. cohen: i don't know the answer to that. the document was originally created by myself, along with my attorney at the time. there was a joint defense agreement. the document circulated around. i believe was also viewed by abbe lowell, who represents ivanka and jared kushner. >> why did you provide the testimony to the white house? >> mr. cohen: it was pursuant to the joint defense agreement that we were all operating unde under. >> the lower the edits that came
10:26 am
back, substantively come on the testimony? >> mr. cohen: i'm sorry, i don't know, sir. i would have to take a look at the document. >> do you have a reaction to why there might not have been in the sense of protest what was going to be false testimony that would be provided? >> no, sir. the goal was to stay on message. to limit the relationship whatsoever with russia. in short, though there was no brush in context, no russian deals. that is the message. the same message that existed well before my need to come and testify. >> so it's an example of where this idea, this mentality, you toe the line. whatever the story line or narrative of the day were the month for the year is going to be. you toe that line, whether it
10:27 am
results in false testimony or not. >> mr. cohen: i towed the party line. i am now suffering and i'm going to continue to suffer for a long while along with my family as a result of it. so yes. >> let me switch gears quickly before my time expires. you may not have direct knowledge of some of these things, but you are offering us some very helpful perspective on how the trump world operates. frankly, another reason you i d your testimony fairly compelling and credible as a lot of the things you are describing, a lot of the behavior you are describing, is very consistent with what we all see every single day. it's not the leap for us, the same place of perspective that you presented. i am interested in some of the activities around the inaugural
10:28 am
committee, the inauguration, the president. there was an article that appeared in propublica. that's a watchdog group. about some negotiation on the pricing of things at the trump hotel, where it looks like the rental that was being quoted was substantial. even double what you would expect to pay, according to what the market should bear. in a sense, the trump hotel was up charging to the inaugural -- >> mr. cohen: even i couldn't afford to stay there. >> i'm just curious. do you have a sense that with her that kind of a practice is something that is consistent or inconsistent customer gives a possible that that kind of up charging could be done inside ap operation? >> mr. cohen: it did happen.
10:29 am
>> the gentleman's time has expired. >> mr. cohen: what i can say to you as i wasn't part of the inaugural committee. i raised a lot of money for the inauguration, but i was not part of it. there was a lot of things. that issue is something that is also -- obviously, we've read about in the paper, being investigated at the current moment. >> mr. higgins? >> thank you, mr. chairman. mr. cohen, i'm sorry for what your families going through. i feel for your family. clearly a man's mouth is his destruction and his lips are the snare of his soul, and i see you trapped in that. i must tell you that i have arrested several thousand men and you remind me of many of them. the ones that immediately become humble and remorseful at the time they are actually booked.
10:30 am
and while they are incarcerated, they are quite penitent. and then returned to their former selves when they are back on the street. respectful to your family and what they are going through, i owe you the honesty to tell you that's my sense of you, good sir. i'm going to give you another opportunity to respond to what you brushed off earlier regarding your own statement during this testimony from c-span notation at two hours and 50 seconds in. you stated, regarding her credibility, that you are being accused of having no credibilit credibility. it is exactly for that reason i spent the last week searching boxes to find information that it did, so you don't have to take my word for it. i want you to look at the documents and make your own decisions. the documents you are referring to, mr. cohen, it are the documents you submitted with your testimony today. is that correct? >> mr. cohen: that correct.
10:31 am
>> do believe them to be worthy of evidence for this oversight hearing today? >> mr. cohen: i leave that to you to decide. >> ask you again, sir. please don't be incredulous, this is a serious question -- where are those boxes that contain documents worthy of evidence to be presented to congress, and why have they not been turned over to investigating authorities looking into some of the many criminal activities that you are allegedly cooperating in? where are these boxes? where is this treasure of evidence? >> mr. cohen: the boxes that i'm referring to were boxes that were in my law office when the fbi entered and seized documents. i was moving -- >> i hope that it authorities have noted what the gentleman has just stated, and the actions are taken for these boxes to be seized and reviewed based on proper warrant signed by a sitting judge. you noted earlier today,
10:32 am
mr. cohen, quite incredulously to one of my colleagues asking you regarding the television deal. you expressed wonderment that your predicament could possibly get you on television. it certainly got you on television today, has it not, sir? >> mr. cohen: sir, i was on television representing mr. trump going back to 2011. >> well, i didn't know you were until today, really. until the fbi raided her home. most of america didn't know who you where. how many attorneys do think mr. trump has had through the course of his career? quite a few, i would imagine. you are just one that's in the trap right now. and i understand you're trying to get out of it. you are in a bind. i ask you, good sir, have you discussed film and book deals with your stated current attorney, mr. lanny davis? >> mr. cohen: with mr. davis, no.
10:33 am
but i have been approached by many people are looking to do book deals, movie deals, and so on. so that answer is yes. >> it leads me back to my instinct that compares you to many of the men that i have arrested during the course of my career. mr. chairman, our primary hearing to introduce the oversight committee, the 116th congress of the american people, as manifested in the way that it obviously is. this is an attempt to injure our president, lay some sort of cornerstone for future impeachment proceedings. this is the full intent of the majority. i yield my remaining 30 seconds to the ranking member. >> mr. cohen, earlier use of the united states southern district of new york is not accurate in
10:34 am
that statement. >> mr. cohen: i'm sorry, say that again? >> earlier you said that the southern district of new york attorney's office, that statement is not accurate. you said is not a lie, but that it's not accurate. can you stand by that? >> mr. cohen: yes, i did not want a role in the new administration. can i finish please? i got exactly the role that i wanted. there is no shame in being personal attorney to the president. i got exactly what i wanted. i asked mr. trump for that job, and he gave it to me. >> all i'm asking -- and i appreciate mr. chairman -- you are saying that statement for the southern district new york attorneys is wrong? >> mr. cohen: i'm saying i didn't write it and it's not accurate. >> thank you. >> thank you. one of the most significant events in the last presidential campaign was of course the dump of emails stolen from the democratic national committee. dumped by wikileaks. mr. cohen, during your opening
10:35 am
statement -- at the height of the election you testified that you were actually meeting with donald trump in july 2016. when roger stone happened to call, and tell mr. trump that he had just spoken to julian assange. is that correct? >> mr. cohen: that is correct. >> you said that mr. assange told mr. trump about an upcoming i'm acquitting your opening statement, "massive dump of emails that would damage hillary clinton's campaign." so i want to ask you about roger stone's phone call to the president. first of all, was that on speakerphone? is that what you indicated? >> mr. cohen: yes. he has a speakerphone that sits on his desk. he uses a quite often because of the number of phone calls he gets. >> in january of this year, 2019, "the new york times" asked president trump if he ever spoke to roger stone about the stolen emails. president trump answered, and i quote, "no, i didn't. i never did."
10:36 am
was that statement very president trump true? >> no, it's not accurate. >> and kenny please describe to us to the best of your recollection, exactly what mr. stone said to mr. trump? >> mr. cohen: it was a short conversation. he said, "mr. trump, i just want to let you know that i just got off the phone with julian assange. in a couple of days there's going to be a massive dump of emails. it's going to severely hurt the clinton campaign." >> was mr. trump and mr. stone aware of where those emails came from? a >> mr. cohen: that, i'm aware of. >> did mr. trump ever suggest then or later to call the fbi to report this breach of? >> he never expressed that to me. >> to the president at that time or ever sense and your knowledge indicate an awareness that this conduct was wrong? >> mr. cohen: no.
10:37 am
>> the reason i ask is because on july 22nd, on the eve of the democratic convention, wikileaks published, as you know, the 20,000 leaked internal dnc emails. could you are meeting with mr. trump have been before that date? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> so mr. trump was aware of the upcoming dump before it actually happened? >> mr. cohen: yes. although, sir, i don't know whether he knew or not and i don't believe he did know what the substance of the dump was going to be. only that they would be a dump of emails. >> and he was aware of the before the dump occurred? >> mr. cohen: yes, sir. >> are there any records that would corroborate the date of this meeting customer calendars, perhaps? >> mr. cohen: i'm not in possession, but i believe, again, it's part of the special counsel. they probably are best suited to corroborate that information.
10:38 am
>> was anyone else present in the room during the call? >> mr. cohen: i don't recall. no, sir. >> is there anyone else the committee should talk to about the president's knowledge of the wikileaks email dump? >> mr. cohen: again, when he called, it was sealed out "roger is on line one." that's regular practice. >> that's his assistant? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> during a news conference on july 27th, 2016, then i think it it it trump publicly appealed to russia to actually clinton's emails. to make them public. he stated, and i quote, "russia, if you are listening, i hope you are able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing." going back to mr. stone's phone call to the president, you recall that mr. trump had knowledge of the wikileaks dump at the time of his direct appeal to russia. >> mr. cohen: i am not. >> but the call with mr. stone you believe was before?
10:39 am
>> mr. cohen: yes. i'm sorry. i thought you were talking about a different set of documents that got dumped. i was in mr. trump's office, it was either july 18th or 19th. yes, he went ahead -- i don't know if those emails are what he was referring to, but he certainly had knowledge. >> thank you. just one last question. mr. raskin had been asking some questions, and one of the things in your answer was that david pecker expended other monies to protect mr. trump. can you elaborate on what some of those other activities were? >> mr. cohen: sure. there was the story about mr. mr. trump having a love child with an employee, and actually the husband of that employee works for the company, as well. there was an elevator operator who claims that he overheard the
10:40 am
conversation taking place between one of mr. trump's other executives and somebody. he ended up paying him like $15,000 in order to buy that story to find out whether it was true or not. that's just one example of things that david had done over the years. it's the reason why, in the recording, when david was looking to become the ceo of "time" magazine, we were concerned about -- we will call it the treasure trove of documents that had been created over the years. that, if you left, it opened up the key to the door to find all this information. so we were going to look to buy all of those life rights and so on. >> your time has expired. >> mr. cohen, think of her testifying. i join congressman higgins in feeling for your family that had no part in this. i heard all the testimony, and i'm trying to decide what --
10:41 am
a really sorry for what you did or did you just get caught? the thing that amazed me is that, in your opening statement -- let me quote -- "last fall i plead guilty in federal court to felonies for the benefit of, at the direction of, and in coordination with individual one." as of the president? >> mr. cohen: yes, sir. >> your crimes were of your own, to benefit yourself. >> mr. cohen: some of them, yes. >> all the ones with the real estate, the banks. you alone. he failed to disclose more than $20 million in debt. you failed to disclose 70,000 monthly payments on your $40 million line of credit. you failed to disclose that you had drawn on that. so this was all for yourself.
10:42 am
this wasn't for the benefit of president trump. this was to benefit michael cohen. so that's my question -- did you just get caught? you worked for this meant for ten years, mr. cohen. you came in here with these -- "he is a con man, he is a cheat." was this the three men that you were wiretapping illegally customer do you not wiretapped president trump without his knowledge? >> mr. cohen: i did record him in the conversation, yes. >> is that lawyer client privilege? is that something an honest lawyer would do? >> mr. cohen: actually never thought this was going to be happening, and that recording even existed. i had forgotten. >> but you did it. >> mr. cohen: yes, i did. i had a reason for doing it. >> what was your reason? >> mr. cohen: because i knew he wasn't going to pay that money, and david pecker had already chewed me out on multiple occasions regarding other monies that he expended.
10:43 am
>> but this was the man you trusted, you would take a bullet for produce eagerly recorded him. let me ask you this -- have you legally or illegally recorded other clients? >> mr. cohen: i ever tell mike have records of people. yes. >> legally or illegally? >> mr. cohen: i believe they are legal. >> did you tell them? >> mr. cohen: in new york state you don't have to do that. >> so you didn't tell them? >> no, i did not hurt sometimes i also use it for contemporarie contemporaneous note-taking. i find it easy. >> would you trust a lawyer recording you? >> mr. cohen: probably not. >> at something people would not do. it's untrustworthy. your bank loans i just ran down -- did you ever default in any of these loans? >> mr. cohen: no, sir. >> of the bank did not take any loss questioning >> i'm not in default. i never filed a bankruptcy. the loan you are referring to, that was from a different one.
10:44 am
i own new banks any money. the ones in chicago i do have to sell. however, in new york, the answer is no, i don't. the industry is going through a major, major correction because of ridesharing. it has changed a lot of things. >> the value of the test? >> mr. cohen: yes, sir. >> with the banks make you alone again based on your record? >> mr. cohen: actually, they did. the bank actually redid and refinanced the entire package. post this, yes. >> did they have to do a reserve for the projected losses? >> mr. cohen: i don't know if they did, but they get the same amount. they may have done that, sir, but that's for their own baking. not for me. >> if they suspect you of lying,
10:45 am
which you admitted to, if a suspect to have maybe not being able to make a loan payment, they have to have a lone loss reserve that is 125% of what you -- they have to post in their account $20 million plus. they get no interest on on a pr unit who pays for that? the american public who deals with that. >> mr. cohen: i'm not in default time not to look in on any of those loans. at the time that i had the loan, i had more cash sitting in that same bank than the heloc and my mortgage combined. >> have you ever been to prague? >> mr. cohen: never have. i've never been to the czech republic. >> i yield the balance of my time. >> thank you, mr. chairman. thank you, mr. cohen. on page five of your statement to say, and i quote, "you need to know that mr. trump 'his
10:46 am
personal lawyers reviewed and edited my statement to congress about the timing of the moscow tour negotiations. ." omega's attorneys? >> mr. cohen: from the white house? at jay sekulow, i believe abby lowell as well. >> do you have a copy of your originals to me you can provide to the committee? >> mr. cohen: i can try to get that for you. >> if you would do that. the letter of intent for the moscow tower was in the fall of 2015. correct? >> mr. cohen: correct. >> was there an expiration of that letter? >> mr. cohen: there was not. >> so it could technically still be in effect today? >> mr. cohen: it's been terminated. >> okay. did mr. trump tell you to offer vladimir putin a free penthouse? >> mr. cohen: no, man. that was felix sater, it was a marketing stunt. he spoke about it. >> so felix sater had suggested to you that mr. trump offer a
10:47 am
penthouse to mr. putin? >> mr. cohen: yes, because it would certainly drive up the price per square foot. no different than any condo where they start listing celebrities that live in the property. >> in 2016, did you travel to europe? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> did you meet with persons associated with the trump tower project customer it was persona personal? >> mr. cohen: my daughter was studying at queen mary in london. >> so you didn't meet with any russians? >> mr. cohen: no. >> there's an elevator tape that has been referenced as the "catch and kill." it was evidently of mr. trump and a woman, presumably mrs. trump. is that correct? >> mr. cohen: are we talking about in moscow or the trump tower elevator tape? >> there's an elevator tape that went up for auction, is that correct? who was on that tape? >> mr. cohen: it's mr. trump
10:48 am
with melania. >> and what happened on that to? >> mr. cohen: the story goes that he struck melania while in that elevator, because there is a camera inside. which i'm not so sure. actually, i'm certain it's not true. i've heard about that tape for years. i have known for five different people, including folks from a. >> but there was a tape that went out for action? >> mr. cohen: i don't think it was real and i don't think anybody -- i don't believe mr. trump ever struck her, ever. i don't believe it. >> i don't mike are you aware of anyone producing that to? you never saw the state? >> mr. cohen: no, ma'am. i know people who went to try and purchase it. for catch and kill purposes. it doesn't exist. mr. trump would never. in my opinion, that is not something that he would do. >> good to know. is there a love child? >> mr. cohen: there is not, to
10:49 am
the best of my knowledge. >> so you would pay somebody -- coat >> mr. cohen: it wasn't me, it was amide. it was david pecker. >> so he paid somebody off about a love child that doesn't exist? >> mr. cohen: correct, about $15,000. >> how many times did mr. trump tell you to threaten an individual on his behalf? >> mr. cohen: quite a few times. >> 50 times? >> mr. cohen: more. >> 100 times? >> mr. cohen: more. >> 200 times? >> mr. cohen: more. >> 500 times? >> mr. cohen: probably come over the ten years. and when you say threaten immuno terms of litigation, or an argument, a nasty reporter that is writing an article. >> let's go to your tapes. use of this probably 100 tapes? >> mr. cohen: voice recordings. >> will you make them available
10:50 am
to the committee? >> mr. cohen: if you would really like them. [laughter] do we have to gavel, sir? sorry. >> we will. >> did mr. trump tape any conversations? >> mr. cohen: not that i'm aware of, no. >> were you involved in the settlement trump university? >> mr. cohen: i had a role in that, yes. >> who played the settlement? >> mr. cohen: i believe it was mr. trump. i don't know the answer to that. >> but you were involved? >> mr. cohen: yes, in a different aspect. >> there is reference to a business man canada being about. are you familiar with that? >> mr. cohen: no. >> i have 13 seconds left. what do you want your children to know? >> mr. cohen: that i'm sorry for everything and i'm sorry for the pain that i've caused them. i wish i could go back in time. >> thank you, i yield back. >> the young ladies time has
10:51 am
expired before we go to miss miller, so that you can properly plan, there is a vote apparently coming up in about ten or 20 minutes. what we will do is we will recess we will come back. listen up. 30 minutes after the last boat begins. not after it ends, 30 minutes after it begins. we will do that promptly. miss miller? >> i am very disappointed to have you in front of this committee today. quite frankly, this isn't the reason the people of west virginia sent me to congress. i find this hearing not in the best interest of the american people. this is another political game with the sole purpose of
10:52 am
discrediting the president. if it was not already obvious, there are members here with the singular goal and congress to impeach president trump. to achieve this goal, they will waste not only precious taxpayer dollars but also time in this committee and congress as a whole. in fact, they will go so far as to bring a convicted felon in front of our committee. we are supposed to take what you say, mr. cohen, at this time, about president trump, as the truth. but you're about to go to prison for lying. how can we believe anything you say? the answer is we can't. this begs the question, what are those in the majority holding this hearing? i am appalled. we could be focused on actual issues that are facing america, like border security. neonatal abstinence syndrome.
10:53 am
were improving our nation's crumbling infrastructure. instead, the democrats are trying to grasp at straws. let's talk about this witness. from his sentencing hearing in the southern district of new york, judge polly stated, "mr. cohen pled guilty to a veritable smorgasbord of fraudulent conduct, willful tax evasion, making false statements to a financial institution, illegal campaign contributions, and making false statements to congress. each of the crimes involved deception, and each appears to have been motivated by personal greed and ambition. this is who we have in front of us today in our committee. somebody he was about to be sent to prison for three years for eve eating his taxes, deceiving a financial institution, lying to congress, among other counts.
10:54 am
one of the most appalling facts about this hearing is that mr. cohen uses his experience is with president trump, both before and after he was elected, for his own green and profit. i want these answers. is it true you try to sell a book about her time with president trump entitled, "trump revolution: from mattel to the white house, understanding donald j. trump?" >> mr. cohen: that happened early on when i was still part of the rnc. >> and this book to you had with hatcher books was worth around $500,000. is that correct? >> more, ma'am. i think it was about $750,000. i did turn it down. >> wow. given that you continue profit from probably discussing your time with president trump to my worried that this committee hearing, that the majority has given you, will only serve as a
10:55 am
platform for you to continue to lie and sensationalize and exaggerate wherever it suits you. do you plan to pursue another book deal about your experience experiences? >> mr. cohen: yes. >> i would presume this book would be a little different than your latest patch? but your new angle might play some new fans. anything to sell books. mr. chairman, we have canceled hearings on child separation and on other issues that are close to my heart for this media circus. what a waste of time and money, for a man who has gladly exploited the name of the president to promote his own name and fill his own pockets. it pains me that we are sitting here adding another chapter to his book. thank you, and i yield the remainder of my time to mr. jordan. >> i think the gentle lady for yielding.
10:56 am
earlier, mr. cohen -- the gentle lady from california talked about the state. >> mr. cohen: i'm sorry, sir, i can't hear you. >> earlier we talked about this elevator to piece that does not exist. >> mr. cohen: that's correct. i don't believe it exists. >> it's also in your testimony that the trump team was willing to pay to make sure a story about a nonexistent tape never became public. >> mr. cohen: no, sir. that's not what i said. >> they were willing to false a stop tape? >> we learned this tape was potentially on the market and that it existed. so what we did is exactly what we did with all the other catch and kill. we looked for it. if, in fact, it did exist, we would have tried to stop it. that's what i would have done. foot i have never heard it, and i can assure you one thing about mr. trump -- many things, he would never do something like that. i don't see it. >> ms. kelly? >> thank you, mr. terry.
10:57 am
i would like to ask more of the details of the $130,000 payment you made 270 clover, the adult film actress and on daniels paid in order to purchase silence before the election. from documents filed by prosecutors in new york, you create a shell company for it is that correct question asked >> mr. cohen: it's correct. >> and created for the purpose of making the statement to miss clifford customer because i correct? >> mr. cohen: among other things, he is. >> used a home equity line of credit to fund the account. is that correct? >> mr. cohen: that's correct. >> you then wired $130,000 to the attorney representing miss clifford at that time. and he wrote in the memo, for "retainer. pay" is a correct? >> mr. cohen: correct. >> can you tell us why you decided to his company to process to this payment? >> mr. cohen: starting an llc is not sophisticated.
10:58 am
you call up a >> you pay for it and they open it for you. the reason i used the home equity line of credit as opposed to cash i had in the same act bank that didn't want my wife to know about it because she handles all of the banking. i didn't want her coming to me asking what was $130,000 for. i was gonna be able to move money from one account to another. i didn't want to have to explain to her what this payment was about. i sent it to the interest on lawyers account to keith davis in california, misdaniels' attorney. he would hold it in escrow until such time i received the executed nda, nondisclosure agreement. >> did mr. trump know you were going through this process to hide the payment? >> yes. >> why not just use mr. trump's bank account? why was a distraction so
10:59 am
important, beside not wanting your wife to know? >> what he was concerned about was a check that had his very distinct signature on it. all you have to do is make a photocopy of it and it's proof positive of what took place. the goal was to keep him as far away from it as possible. >> can anyone corroborate what you have shared with us? >> absolutely. >> and that is? >> keith davidson, alan weiselberg, president trump. >> according to federal prosecutors and i quote, after the election cohen sought reimbursement for election related expenses including the $130,000 payment. prosecutors stated that you, and i quote, presented an executives a copy of a bank statement reflecting the $130,000 wire transfer. is that accurate? >> it is.
11:00 am
>> do you have a copy of the bank statement? >> it was made part of the exhibit. >> according to federal prosecutors executives at the company then, and i quote, agree to reimburse cohen by adding $130,000 and $50,000 up that amount to $160,000 and adding $60,000 bonus so cohen would be paid $420,000 in total. executives decided to pay the $420,000 in monthly installments of $35,000 over the course of a year. is that accurate? >> it is accurate. >> what was the purpose of grossing up the amount, essentially doubling what you paid to miss clifford? >> if you pay $130,000, you live in new york where you have a 50% tax bracket, in order to get your 130 back, you have to have 260, otherwise, if he gave me back 130, i would only -- i'd be out 65,000.
11:01 am
>> what was the purpose of spreading the

25 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on