Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Night With Shannon Bream  FOX News  July 9, 2019 8:00pm-9:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
revealed their secret. >> it's my wife, she's the best. i mean it, if you have a good wife, everything is possible. >> laura: i thought he was going to say because she doesn't weigh much. that's all the time we have, don't forget my new podcast. shannon bream and the "fox news @ night" team are ready to take it away. >> shannon: my husband is a strong but i'm not wearing that outfit in public. >> laura: i'm sure someone's offended by it but that's how we roll. >> shannon: the trump administration says they have a plan to get that citizenship question on the census but tonight the federal judge in new york -- president trump vows to fight, will he take executive action? democrats say it's about racism and a criminal contempt vote in the house for the
8:01 pm
attorney general and the commerce secretary. tom steyer has funded to billions of dollars to get the president impeached is officially running for president, what does it mean for the rest of the 2020 field? the ranking republican on the intelligence committee here live to respond to breaking news about the author of the so-called dirty dossier as we awaited the doj inspector general's report any time about how the whole russia probe got started. welcome to "fox news @ night," i'm shannon bream in washington. we begin with the very latest on all the controversy surrounding the 2020 census citizenship question. >> this has been going on for a while, the latest development is a federal judge has barred to the justice department from changing its lawyers and the ongoing fight to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. president trump is not happy, he tweeted an hour ago. "now the obama appointed judge for the census case won't let
8:02 pm
the justice department used the lawyer that wants to use. the reason the judge gave was the defendant provided no reason let alone the satisfactory reasons the substitution of counsel. the justice department has been trying to shake up his legal team after the supreme court blocked its first attempt to add the controversial question to the census. attorneys for the aclu contested the substitution and the judge agreed to. this is another setback for the trump administration as it tries to find a way forward to get this question on the 2020 census. >> i think over the next day or two you will see the next approach we are taking. it does provide a pathway for getting the question on the census. >> multiple sources are telling fox the house will likely vote on a contempt resolution for attorney general bill barr and commerce secretary wilbur ross next week at the earliest for failing to comply with congressional subpoenas on the topic.
8:03 pm
until then democrats in congress and the campaign trail continue to call it "racially and politically motivated." >> this is about keeping -- you know the half? make america white again. >> the citizenship question is motivated by racial and partisanship reasons. >> shannon: republican congressman jim jordan argues it's not racist, it's common sense. >> you go to any small town, any big city in this country, walk up to any person in this country and ask them do you think on the census we should ask a citizenship question, their response would be yes. it would quickly be followed up by aren't we doing that already? >> shannon: president trump is considering executive action to make it happen, a move that will almost certainly and immediately be challenged again. it keeps us busy. the supreme court justices are likely in for a case of
8:04 pm
obamacare deja vu. today a three-judge panel heard arguments in new orleans of the constitutionality of the affordable care act after a texas judge ruled to strike down the law. it could take months to get a ruling from the panel, and no matter who wins or loses, this case is likely going right back to the nation's highest court, possibly in the middle. both sides of the il are gearing up for that. >> don't let president trump fool you, donald trump and republicans want to take away your health care. >> there's nobody in the senate not in favor of covering pre-existing conditions, nobody. if it were under any of these scenarios to go away we would act quickly to restore it. >> shannon: all kinds of legal issues breaking from obamacare to the citizenship question, the
8:05 pm
trump administration would like to get back. tonight's legal eagles, former deputy assistant attorney general john u. the supreme court didn't tell the administration they can't have the question on the census, they said they didn't agree with the reasoning behind it but they didn't say there is no way this kind of question can end up on the census, now want to? we hear the attorney general saying we are going to take action, what do you predict? >> you are right about the court, i would say it more strongly than that. the court said it would be legitimate so long as the administration had a valid reason. the court invited trump to take it at its word and try to put the question back on again. what matters is how you do it, the process. the court felt secretary ross
8:06 pm
came up with a contrived reason. suppose the president says we need to know how many citizens versus aliens there are in the country and geography for purposes of immigration enforcement and public services, that seems to be a legitimate reason. the question isn't whether it's legal, it's whether there's enough time to get this done before the census has to be printed. >> shannon: and there was a lot of evidence of other countries and other places with the citizenship questions has been used and for decades it was used in the united states. justice kavanaugh said the united nations recommends asking the citizen questions on the census in a number of other countries do it. do you argue that it should not be included? >> this is governance by chaos.
8:07 pm
the administration can't do the simple things, john is probably right, the supreme court did lay it out in their ruling. if this has been handled properly, if the commerce department and the secretary had done this right and they coordinated properly, this would have been fine. they would've gotten it on the census and the court would have allowed it. they messed up the details and because of that, because they made it very clear there was a june 30th date they had to get these forms printed, they are going to have to find a way to say we are still going to get this thing done. that's why they're trying to get new lawyers and new explanations. >> shannon: what you make of the federal judges and you can't put it into legal team? some folks thought they were fatigued, they didn't want to go with the new plan. today the judge says no, the attorneys who argued the case are staying on the case.
8:08 pm
>> if i were a judge and i wanted to give president trump more ammunition to claim judicial bias, this is what i would do. i've never really heard of a case where the government wasn't allowed to change lawyers, the government changes lawyers on cases all the time to try to throw a wrench in something as technical and easy, to me that's waving the red flag and saying go ahead, rushed to the appeals court, rushed to the supreme court because the district court judge is being intransigent and is revealing unfortunately bias because he should just let the government have the lawyers he wants to. >> were waiting to see what the mystery is, all things being equal, 51-49 odds here we would
8:09 pm
survive scrutiny from the court if the president issued it directly from him. i want to disagree with the professor on the issue of swapping out lawyers, the reason the judge has concern is the factual assertions, the explanations provided to the court, the ethical considerations about what the justice department lawyers told the court about drop-dead date, that's what i think the judges concern is to bring in a new legal team. never mind what was previously told to the court. >> shannon: we will see what actions the administration has planned. thank you both. one out, a new one in. it is billionaire a liberal activist tom steyer, what this means already for a crowded democratic field.
8:10 pm
>> tom steyer said earlier this year he would not run for president pledging millions of dollars to reelect democrats in the house of representatives -- times have changed and he's running on one theme, impeachment. >> my name's tom steyer, i'm running for president. >> another name for the 2020 race, tom steyer a california billionaire who has invested millions into impeaching donald trump made the announcement tuesday. >> i'm not running for president at this time. >> he started airing commercials hoping to impeach trump back in 2017, he used the word well before others in his party. >> this president is a clear and present danger to the american people. >> a former hedge fund manager founded next in america, a political action committee focused on climate change. his focus moves to impeachment months after trump moved into the white house. he grows a growing number who also want to impeach the
8:11 pm
president, a group nancy pelosi recently downplayed. former hillary clinton advisor brian fallon tweeting the four house freshman who pelosi dismisses have done more to define a vision and moral center for today's democratic party than all of the bills pushed by the party leadership combined. tom steyer promises to continue his request for impeachment. >> americans are disappointed and hurt by the way they are treated by what they think is the power elite in washington, that goes across party lines and geography. you've got to take the corporate control out of the politics. >> a prominent progressive happens to be running against him. >> i'm not a great fan of billionaires getting involved in the political process. they shouldn't be able to spend unlimited sums of money trying to buy elections. >> is unlikely given the time crunch but he has a lot of money and it will certainly make a
8:12 pm
statement in this campaign. >> shannon: quite an email list that will come in handy with millions of people there. thank you very much. after nbc news reported senate majority leader mitch mcconnell great, great grandfathers owned, he responded by drawing a political parallel. >> i find myself in the same position as president obama. we both oppose reparations and we both are the descendants of slaveholders. >> shannon: the baltimore sun rode back in 2007 that president obama's great, great great-great-grandparents that owned. the house will vote friday on the 9/11 first responders bill, it's become a major issue after emotional testimony on capitol hill with the authorization for the victims compensation fund about to expire next year. it's a major night for
8:13 pm
breaking news, moves on the investigation into the investigators. michael steele to mike christopher steele, michael flynn, we'll have more next. yes, absolutely. do you just say yes to everything? hm. well i say no to kale. mm. yeah, they say if you blanch it it's better, but that seems like a lot of work. no hidden fees. no platform fees. no trade minimums. and yes, it's all at one low price. td ameritrade. ♪
8:14 pm
who got an awful skin condition. with uncontrolled moderate-to-severe eczema, or atopic dermatitis, you feel like you're itching all the time. and you never know how your skin will look. because deep within your skin an overly sensitive immune system could be the cause. so help heal your skin from within, with dupixent. dupixent is not a steroid, and it continuously treats your eczema even when you can't see it. at 16 weeks, nearly four times more patients taking dupixent saw clear or almost clear skin compared to those not taking it, and patients saw a significant reduction in itch. do not use if you are allergic to dupixent. serious allergic reactions can occur, including anaphylaxis, a severe reaction. tell your doctor if you have new or worsening eye problems, including eye pain or changes in vision. if you are taking asthma medicines, do not change or stop your asthma medicine without talking to your doctor.
8:15 pm
help heal your skin from within. ask your eczema specialist about dupixent. help heal your skin from within. we carry flowers that signifyn why we want to end the disease. and we walk so that one day, there will be a white flower for alzheimer's first survivor. join the fight at alz.org/walk. excuse me, um... do you mind being a motaur? what could be better than being a motaur?
8:16 pm
for those who were born to ride, there's progressive.
8:17 pm
>> shannon: brand-new reports tonight that the author of the salacious anti-trump dossier christopher steele has been grilled by the justice department for hours and that could shift the timeline for the release of the inspector general's report on the origins 16 investigation into the campaign. and news on robert mueller's planned appearance before congress next week. >> with congressional testimony looming, sources tell fox news former special counsel robert mueller remains a reluctant witness and a number of options are under consideration. traveling in south carolina,
8:18 pm
attorney general william barr seems to offer an exit ramp. >> if he decides he doesn't want to be subject to that the department of justice would back him. >> mueller is scheduled to testify next wednesday before the judiciary and intelligence committees. to his 500 page report found no criminal conspiracy between the trump campaign and russia but did not "exonerate the president on obstruction of justice." william barr found on democrats for compelling his testimony. >> i don't think it serves an important purpose dragging him up if he is going to stick to the report. it seems to me the only reason for doing that is to create some kind of public spectacle. >> in may he gave his only public statement on the report findings and he didn't take questions. >> the report is my testimony, i will not provide information beyond that which is already public in any appearance before congress. >> in a separate development,
8:19 pm
sources tell fox news former british spy christopher steele behind the controversial dossier was so concerned he could get "thrown under the bus in a forthcoming inspector general report" that he agreed to cooperate. >> reuters broke the story this morning reporting he was interviewed in june, the ig's office at's not been commenting on the status of their work. >> shannon: thank you much. questions tonight about the level of cooperation president trump's former national security advisor is provided to the government. prosecutors are no longer planning to use michael flynn is a star witness in an upcoming trial. they are now listing him as an unindicted coconspirator. a real estate developer felix
8:20 pm
sager who worked with michael cohen on the defunct trump tower tail was on capitol hill testifying behind closed doors. >> it's no different than if we were to build trump tower moscow in paris or london, to say that it was paramount importance, i wouldn't say that. >> in light of all of that, "the new york times" reporting that fbi agents tracked down one of christopher steele's sources after questioning him, fbi officials came to suspect that the man might have added his own interpretations to reports from his own sources that he passed on to christopher steele calling into question the reliability of the information. let's bring in devin nunes, ranking member of the house intelligence committee. what do you make of the fact that we are getting this revelation that christopher steele has been grilled for hours by folks putting together the report we
8:21 pm
are waiting on. how do you think it impacts his look into the origins? >> it's a good development, the ig, it's unknown whether or not he was going to be able to talk to christopher steele. the house committee republicans were trying to get him to come to united states to be interviewed, he refused. he made up this entire document as you are starting to see, it's unraveling. his sources are not real, if they are, they are second and third hand. a lot of this is made up out of whole cloth. i think the more that comes out people will begin to see there were 17 different installments of this dossier. >> shannon: 1-3 pages each. it was one big document that was presented. >> they started supposedly the fbi claims they didn't have any of this until the fall of 2016 before they got the fisa warrant. you have to go back to the end of july when the fbi opened up this investigation.
8:22 pm
that's not true, that's a lie. >> shannon: they didn't have parts of the dossier then? >> the fact that they were saying this is only because it was because of papadopoulos, it's highly improbable he didn't have pieces of his phony work before that. >> shannon: is that something we will learn from the inspector general's report? >> he's looking at the origins of the investigation but at least by talking to christopher steele, if he is honest, he may know when it was that he was first briefing fbi agents. we think it has to be well before july 30th what the fbi has tried to run. the democrats were behind the dossier and the dossier was the main focus behind this entire investigation. there came a push to say this is about george papadopoulos, he was drunk in a bar with the australian ambassador in london,
8:23 pm
none of that story ever made any sense. look at the name of what they call this, its name after jumping jack flash the movie, for those who have seen the movie, involves a british spy. circumstantial evidence is so much that this investigation had to have started in the spring, may, june, july when the fbi was actively involved likely working with fusion gps at the time. >> it's possible we learned more about that from the inspector general. >> it's a good sign he interviewed christopher steele but if he wants to clear his name he should come to congress. >> shannon: will he? >> unlikely. >> shannon: politico said the extensive interview with him said they offer a new and important information may dampen expectations among the presidents allies that claim his
8:24 pm
dossier was used by the bureau to spy on the campaign. their assessment of it is that it's not not good for you but he talked to doj. >> i don't pay attention to the mainstream media, that statement you made no sense. either he had credible sources or he did not. the fact remains they used that garbage that was paid for by a political campaign before a court. we have two separate issues. his credibility of which he has none and also at the fbi did, you remember we told the american people this was largely based on this dirt they didn't tell the court, they used fake news stories, stories they planted themselves. the reporters repeated what christopher steele told them. the fbi used that to support the dossier. there's other stuff that is left there that the american public still doesn't know about that is
8:25 pm
equally as bad or worse in my opinion. >> shannon: they contend the dossier was not the crux of what they used to get the report. >> those aren't our words, those of the words of the people we interviewed, highest level of the fbi. without the dossier they wouldn't have been able to get the warrant. >> the rest of what they claim is so critical, it's i believe even worse than using dirt from the political campaign. >> shannon: transparency is good, thank you for coming in. an appeals court says president trump cannot block his critics from a twitter account. a public official using a social media account for public purposes to exclude people, he says it's disappointed in looking at options. in the wake of that ruling, a former democratic assemblyman is
8:26 pm
suing democratic socialist congresswoman alexandria ocasio-cortez, he says she blocks users on twitter based on their personal viewpoints. if you want something done right, do it yourself, that's how progressive billionaire tom steyer is feeling tonight, will he pull the democratic field of further left? that isnd next. oh is that travis's app? it's pretty cool, isn't it? there's two of them. they're multiplying. no, guys, its me. see, i'm real. i'm real! he thinks he's real. geico. over 75 years of savings and service.
8:27 pm
with who we are as people and making everybody feel welcome. ordering custom ink t-shirts has been a really smart decision for our business. i love the custom ink design lab because it's really easy to use. they have customer service that you can reach anytime. t-shirts help us immediately
8:28 pm
get a sense of who we are as a group. from the moment clients walk in, they're able to feel like part of the family. - [spokesman] custom ink has hundreds of products for your business and free shipping. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com. man: wow, what have we got over here? this is the all-new chevy silverado. woman: it's beautiful. man: beefy and mean looking it's the strongest, most advanced silverado ever. and it's full of surprises. (clicking) various: hey now. oh, nice! it offers an industry-first power-up/-down tailgate. i kinda didn't expect that to happen. but that's not all. (thud) ooh! (mixed shouts) moderator: the silverado has more cargo volume than any competitor. very impressive. it's got 20% more than f-150. various: unbelievable. that is really nice. is there a buy it now button on there too? (laughter) moderator: yeah... is there a buy it now buif you have moderate or psoriatic arthritis, little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats differently. for psoriasis, 75% clearer skin is achievable,
8:29 pm
with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. for psoriatic arthritis, otezla is proven to reduce joint swelling, tenderness, and pain. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. ♪ i comparison shop for everything to get the best deal. gas is 6 cents cheaper here. sale rack! no! and, for loans, i go to lendingtree.com. i wanted to consolidate my credit cards in to a personal loan to pay them off faster. lending tree made lenders compete for my business
8:30 pm
and i ended up with a loan that saved me over $9000 and no more credit card debt. i mean $9000! it's a lot of money. lending tree, may the best loan win. >> shannon: hours from now the women's world cup championship soccer team will parade down new york's famed canyon of heroes but here in washington many see the victory as a political opportunity. chief correspondent jonathan hunt is here to explai explain. >> the u.s. team captain megan ruffino is too many captain america, the most famous female athlete in the world right now, pretty much everyone wants to talk to her, pretty much everyone wants to be photographed with her, pretty much everyone wants to bask in her reflected glory. if president trump is among those people, it's not going to happen for him.
8:31 pm
she tempered her language slightly tonight when talking to anderson cooper but her response to the idea of she and her team of world cup winning superstars going to the white house was essentially the same as it was in that infamous f word to video. >> i don't think anyone has any interest in lending the platform we worked so hard to build and the things we fight for in the way that we live our life, i don't think we want that to be co-opted or corrupted by this administration. >> there hasn't been a formal invitation from president trump, so the point is moot anyway. house speaker nancy pelosi and senate minority leader chuck schumer have both extended invitations to the soccer team and megan ruffino said she would be happy to accept the invitations. she had the opening goal in the world cup final, led the team celebrations of the record
8:32 pm
triumph and lead the team and fighting for equal pay, women's stars are paid considerably less than their male counterparts despite being far more successful on the global stage and a rapinoe said it's time for u.s. and world soccer officials to come to the table and negotiate. >> we don't want to have this public nasty fight that's not in the best interest of anyone. we would much prefer to have a collaborative approach with fifa and the federation, how can we move to the next step to create a world that is equal and fair? >> if i can offer my humble opinion, the u.s. women's soccer team doesn't deserve equal pay, they deserve far more than those useless men on the u.s. men's national team. >> shannon: you are going to have some tweets to read on your timeline.
8:33 pm
you can find him. time now for 2020 and 60. a presidential candidate beto o'rourke meeting with refugees and immigrants through a swing through tennessee, saying that this country was founded on white supremacy and many of the nations institutions still reflect a legacy of slavery and jim crow. pete buttigieg according to data submitted by the police department is a violent crime has risen dramatically since he took office in 2012 at 2018 marking the highest rate of violent crime in at least 20 years. former vice president joe biden releasing three years of tax returns, $50 million of the past two years, most of that coming from books and the university of pennsylvania where there is a program named after him. also now officially in the 2020
8:34 pm
race, billionaire liberal activist tom steyer, what does this entry mean for the rest of the field? we will discuss with fox news contributor richard fowler and host of the revolution. welcome to you both. this is how a political reporter on nbc except that his entry the race. >> because of his massive email list i think he's a threat to the entire field and i think this changes things. people don't drop out of presidential campaigns because they don't have a chance to win, they drop out because they can't put gas in their tank. >> shannon: he's been pouring it into impeachment efforts but now he says he's got to step up into the job, what do you make of it? >> i think it's ridiculous analysis from that person there. i don't think he has any chance because he doesn't have a message that is compelling or a story that is compelling or any other compelling reason why the democrat primary should choose him. he didn't mention impeachment in his launch message, his
8:35 pm
obsession over the last couple of years. that wouldn't have helped anyway because you have candidates led by elizabeth warren who are also for impeachment, his main message focused on the corporate takeover of american politics, i think it's an appealing message. the problem is it's also something that elizabeth warren has been championing in terms of rhetoric and with actual policies with tom steyer doesn't have. it seems to me what he ends up being is a rich white male version of elizabeth warren. i don't see a market for that in the democratic primary. >> it's interesting you should say that, in this piece on splinter under the headline "tom steyer thinks you're stupid libby watson writes that he doesn't realize he doesn't have the moral authority to rail against the system that created him just because he's one of the "good billionaires." the point of democracy's representation by the people not representation by an uber wealthy guy who promises real hard to figure out what real people need. what do you make of his addition to the field? >> i think it's interesting, nbc
8:36 pm
spoke to this one thing -- what tom steyer haves is in a favor is a lot of money, even if he doesn't has a lane in the democratic field and because the field is starting to firm up and move in different directions, he can stay in there for as long as he likes because he can use his money to stay in there. it's less about how you are doing in the polls and how much money you have to keep your campaign going. that will be his benefit going into it but what i don't see for him is a clear lane for him to run on. if he is running on we are going to impeach no matter what, i think there are candidates that say that. if if he is running as we are going to be the average joe, we have a joe in the race, seems to be pretty average. he is missing some of those pieces that it would take for him to gain some traction but i do think he has longevity based on the fact that he will use a lot of his personal wealth to maintain himself. >> shannon: that's what he's getting hits on already, you
8:37 pm
heard bernie sanders saying i don't think gets good for billionaires to get involved in politics. elizabeth warren and others are saying we got grassroots donations, we are putting things together for people not corporations, not big money, a lot of people are pointing out he says he's already ready on hand to put the amount of money in the top of four or five and have already raised on their own. they don't like the idea of a billionaire jumping in. >> they are right not to like it. i can't see the point, i think richard is right to say he's got longevity, he's got the money but to what end? i think the only person who benefits from this is the president. in his own little way, tom steyer is doing his best to boost the donald trump economy by hiring lots of consultants and putting money into the marketing advertising industry and keeping that economy going. that's the only benefit i can see. >> shannon: in the meantime, thanks for the preview.
8:38 pm
new developments tonight and how portland plans to handle nt for in the wake of that attack on andy ngo. he joins us live next. esurance. it's surprisingly painless. "burger! i want a sugar cookie! i want a bucket of chicken! i want....." "it's the easiest, because it's the cheesiest" kraft. for the win win. if your adventure... ...keeps turning into unexpected bathroom trips... you may have overactive bladder, or oab. not again! we're seeing a doctor when we get home. myrbetriq treats oab symptoms of urgency, frequency, and leakage.
8:39 pm
it's the first and only oab treatment in its class. myrbetriq may increase blood pressure. tell your doctor right away if you have trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may cause serious allergic reactions, like swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, or trouble breathing. if experienced, stop taking and tell your doctor right away. myrbetriq may interact with other medicines. tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure, common cold or flu symptoms, ...sinus irritation, dry mouth, urinary tract infection, bladder inflammation, back or joint pain, ...constipation, dizziness, and headache. looking for a destination that isn't always the bathroom? ask your doctor if myrbetriq is right for you. and visit myrbetriq.com. jimmy's gotten used to his whole yup, he's gone noseblind. odors. he thinks it smells fine, but his mom smells this... luckily for all your hard-to-wash fabrics... ...there's febreze fabric refresher. febreze doesn't just mask, it eliminates odors you've... ...gone noseblind to. and try febreze unstopables for fabric.
8:40 pm
with up to twice the fresh scent power, you'll want to try it... ...again and again and maybe just one more time. indulge in irresistible freshness. febreze unstopables. breathe happy.
8:41 pm
8:42 pm
>> police get behind california's new use of force bill. the measure is a legacy of last year's shooting of an unarmed black man who police said they thought was armed. local prosecutors determine the shooting was legally justified because the officers had reason to believe they were in danger. governor gavin newsom signed the new bill into law, please can only fire when it is necessary to defend against the imminent threat of death, not merely reasonable. taxpayer hunted funded health care to some immigrants age 25 or younger, president trump called the move crazy. a big national chain called
8:43 pm
restaurants unlimited is declaring bankruptcy partly it says because of what it calls progressive wage laws. pay increases in seattle, san francisco and portland boost of the company's wage expenses by nearly $11 million over the fiscal year. colorado parks and wildlife showing video of goats doing unnatural things, putting their heads inside open car windows tour running towards food wrappers, putting up with large groups of people surrounding them to take photos and videos from what are called unsafe distances. the agency said people want them to stay away from wild animals so they will continue being wil wild. there is a renewed criticism of portland's mayor tonight after conservative journalists was violently attacked by antifa. mayor ted wheeler says he plans to discuss ways to better
8:44 pm
control future protest but is offering no specifics or timetables. police are reportedly unhappy, let's bring an end he know the victim of that attack to talk about where portland goes from here. i know once getting out of the hospital, you are out again, what do you say to folks to say you are overstating what happened to you? >> most people have never experienced a brain injury and i never did until the 29th of jun 29th of june. i would never wish what happened to me on anybody else. i would ask them to have the decency to just be decent human beings. >> let me ask you this, there are accounts and all kinds of things, you know if anyone has been questioned? have you talked to authorities about what comes next and
8:45 pm
holding people responsible which the mayor has vowed to do? >> ten days after the attack on me there have been no arrests, i've only heard from the authorities twice over the phon phone. wherever they are at in their investigation they have not kept me informed. >> shannon: as we reported, police have been frustrated with what they say it's limits on their ability to respond and what they can do. for people who saw what happened ten days ago, we have been covering for a long time all kinds of other uprisings, this is not a one time thing. the oregonian reports on mayor ted wheeler about where he goes with this, they say he has offered no policy proposals and would not take a position on two options given by the police chief. she called for a new city rules barring people from wearing masks during protests and empowering officers to videotape
8:46 pm
demonstrations. did the police seem any closer to getting more autonomy to handling things as they see fit? >> according to the present the police union, the answer is no, he's called for the mayor to uncuff police officers to let them do their jobs. as for the mayor's press conference yesterday, nine days after the attack on me he finally came out and issued platitudes about condemning violence, blaming violence on outsiders which is wrong because antifa is a portland movement. no proposals of his own and couldn't make up his mind on whether or not he would be against people who mask themselves while committing crimes, that should be a no-brainer.
8:47 pm
>> shannon: there are a number of people will bubble up saying rico is something that might be applied here. these loosely organized criminal activities, that kind of thing, and they issued some insights. the attorney general must stick rico on antifa, covering your face to avoid identification so you can intimidate, it's practically the definition of the knights of the ku klux klan. he makes that comparison between the groups, any time we know the mayor spoke with the u.s. attorney in oregon, do you have any sense the feds would get involved? >> i don't know if they will but i hope so. antifa is a movement all across the country, their activists move from one jurisdiction to another to engage in these criminal activities. it's going to take a lot more
8:48 pm
manpower than what any local authority is able to do. >> shannon: keep us updated, we will follow the case. self-made billionaire, patriot and philanthropist who made history shaking up presidential politics ross perot. his life, when we return.
8:49 pm
ng.com. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪
8:50 pm
8:51 pm
8:52 pm
>> shannon: take a look at this extraordinary video, a delta flight was forced to make an emergency landing after a possible engine failure. that is the nose cone of the engine bouncing around, there were 148 passengers on board that flight from atlanta to baltimore, no reports of any injuries. ♪ topping two nights roundup, houston gets the third democratic debate airing on abc september 12th and 13th. 20 candidates appeared in the first debate in miami last month with that same number expected on stage later this month in detroit. the dnc is tightening requirements, likely meaning fewer candidates will qualify. former vice president joe biden facing a charge of being on pc, critics are after him for his catchphrase come on, man. a washington writer calls it offensive because it brings up gender.
8:53 pm
it signals dismissiveness, and sarcasm. russian journalists have been accused of controlling minds by referencing george orwell's novel 1984, police accused mikael romanoff of trying to tap into readers subconscious in writing a story on the alleged torture of an academic. the law bans the publication of information can hitting in assertions affecting the human subconscious could face a fine of 50,000 rubles, that's up to about $780. self-made texas billionaire and two time third party presidential candidate ross perot has died. rick leventhal takes a look back at his very colorful life. >> everybody in washington makes excuses, nobody takes responsibility even when they have direct responsibility. >> ross perot was a maverick, a billionaire businessman and the most successful third-party
8:54 pm
presidential candidate since theodore roosevelt in 1912. >> what do you expect people to say? welcome to the crowd? >> he was born june 27th 1930 in texas to a family with humble roots and strong values. >> it doesn't matter what happens to you, what matters is did you do the right thing? >> he graduated the u.s. naval academy and became a battalion commander, then took a sales job with ibm. in 1962 with $1,000 loan from his wife margo, he became a tech entrepreneur found in electronic data systems which he sold 22 years later for $2.5 billion. in 1992 he announced his run for the white house promising to cut waste and eliminate deficits he blamed on previous administrations. >> maybe it was a voodoo economics, whatever it was, we are now in deep voodoo, i'll tell you that.
8:55 pm
>> he backed out of the race in july and be entered in october collecting 19% of the boat and ran again in 1996. his family called him a man of integrity and action, saying he lived a long and honorable life. >> few people in this country have been able to live the american dream to the extent that i have. >> survived by his wife, five children and 16 grandchildren, ross perot is dead at the age of 89. rick leventhal, fox news. >> we have an update on ed henry and his 6 next.
8:56 pm
and we walk so that one day, there will be a white flower for alzheimer's first survivor. join the fight at alz.org/walk.
8:57 pm
♪ how do you like it, ♪ how do you like it ♪ ♪ more, more, more ♪ how do you like it, how do you like it ♪ all you can eat is back. how do you like that? applebee's. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. who we are as people and making everybody feel welcome. ordering custom ink t-shirts has been a really smart decision for our business.
8:58 pm
- [narrator] custom ink has hundreds of products and free shipping. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com. and my side super soft? with the sleep number 360 smart bed you can both adjust your comfort with your sleep number setting. so, can it help us fall asleep faster? yes, by gently warming your feet. but can it help keep me asleep? absolutely, it intelligently senses your movements and automatically adjusts to keep you both effortlessly comfortable. will it help me keep up with him? yup. so, i'll wake up ready for anything? oh, we've got your back. so, you can really promise better sleep? not promise. prove. and now, save up to $600 on select sleep number 360 smart beds. only for a limited time.
8:59 pm
what do you look for i want free access to research. yep, td ameritrade's got that. free access to every platform. yeah, that too. i don't want any trade minimums. yeah, i totally agree, they don't have any of those. i want to know what i'm paying upfront. yes, absolutely. do you just say yes to everything? hm. well i say no to kale. mm. yeah, they say if you blanch it it's better, but that seems like a lot of work. no hidden fees. no platform fees. no trade minimums. and yes, it's all at one low price. td ameritrade. ♪ >> shannon: many of you have asked so we have an update on our own ed henry. he donated part of his liver to be a sister, colleen, who suffers from a degenerative disease and he wants you to know, everybody out there, the surgery went as planned, all is well. they are so appreciative of everyone's continued thoughts
9:00 pm
and prayers and we will all stay on those as they go into the recovery process and we hope he is back soon. most watched, most trusted, most grateful you spent your evening with us. good night from washington. i'm shannon bream. ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." alexandra ocasio-cortez lecturing us about the weather today. flashol floods in d.c. on monda. she said, an act of god? no, it's the fault of republicans not passing her green new deal and not giving her full power over the american economy.ew one problem with that, scientists disagree with her read on that. we'll talk to one ahead. first, here's a quiz. how many foreign nationals are living in the united states right now? just kidding, it's a trick question. nobody knows the answer.t could be 10 million, could be 50 million, we would just be guessing. pretty embarrassing for an

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on