Skip to main content

tv   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert  CBS  October 11, 2016 10:35pm-11:34pm MDT

10:35 pm
this picture should be a painting. >> take a look at this. larry pierce is calling this a yampa valley afternoon. very beautiful clouds. grass out there, just on and a beautiful part of the state. a little rain earlier. before that, pretty nice conditions. >> a nice little picnic. thanks for watching >> stephen: hi. >> can't go in. >> stephen: i just want to say hello to flotus. i brought her a lotus. >> flotus is on the phone with potus. >> stephen: she'll want to see me. >> that's what she got us. >> stephen: i want to see
10:36 pm
>> stephen: i'm going to get your name, okay? you're on notice. >> it's otis. >> it's "the late show with stephen colbert." tonight, stephen welcomes first lady michelle obama. and america ferrera. featuring jon batiste and stay human. and now, from the ed sullivan theater in new york city, it's stephen colbert! ( cheers and applause ) captioning sponsored by cbs ? ? ? >> stephen: hey! how are you? welcome to "the late show," everybody. good to see you, jon. nice to see you.
10:37 pm
thanks so much, everybody. nice. what lovely people here. amazing. please, thank you so much for being here. welcome to "the late show." up there, down here, all around. welcome, good to see you. these people are alive on this planet. thank you for being here. welcome to "the late show," i'm stephen colbert. and i hope everyone at home and everyone here is with a loved one tonight. because i have terrible news-- angelina and brad pitt are getting a divorce. that's right, no more brangelina. they're just going to be "jelina" and "bran," now. here's what happened. the divorce papers were filed yesterday in los angeles superior court, citing "irreconcilable attractiveness." ( laughter ) now, why did this happen? we don't know. we don't know. we can speculate. but we're not sure.
10:38 pm
something this cataclysmic, it is the fog of war. but rumors are swirling that brad had an affair with french actress marion cotillard. yeah oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. so we could soon be looking at mariad brotillitt. ( laughter ) speaking of bickering couples, are you guys ready for this monday's presidential debate? ( cheers and applause ) i'm not entirely sure if those are screams of excitement or panic. i'm just going to let you know, "the late show" will be coming to you live on monday right after the debates. join us, won't you? ( applause ) because just like the debates, nothing about my show will be fact checked. so please join me with my guest, queen elizabeth ii! it's going to be good. i think it was just yesterday,
10:39 pm
debate, it's the direction of america, achieving prosperity, and securing america, which by the way, are also the least- popular scents at yankee candle. i gotta say, those are some pretty general topics. leave something for the moderators coming after you, lester! it's like you just licked every baby carrot on the debate topic vegetable tray. by the way, "debate topic vegetable tray," also another very unpopular yankee candle scent. w, for the debate by posting an online survey asking voters to weigh in on the all-important questions from what issues trump should focus on to whether or not he should say crooked hillary on the debate stage. that's leadership. there are a couple of core principles that define who i am. now, what are they again? ( cheers and applause )
10:40 pm
reason he's prepping via online survey is because, "he's only going on stage to be your voice." i know that's not true, because if trump was my voice, he would be letting out a constant horrified scream. ( laughter ) there's i reason, i believe, we do not run democracy via buzzfeed poll. i want a commander in chief who puts thought into his policy, more thought than what i put into finding out which "gilmore girls" character i am. p.s.-- i'm a total lorelai. ( applause ) but-- lorelai fans. lorelai fans. but on the other hand, this is a rare opportunity for you to directly influence a presidential debate. he's reading this online poll to figure out what he should say on
10:41 pm
so here's what i want you, the colbert nation, to do. i want you to go to www.gop.com/debate-prep-survey, and fill out the survey. ( cheers and applause ) and when, on almost every question, it gives you the option, "other, please specify," and whenever you see the words, "other, please specify," put in something we'd really like to hear trump say, like, or "i'm not really a billionaire." or "putin's butt tastes like cotton candy." ( cheers and applause ) >> jon: oh! oh! oh! >> stephen: yeah. ? we got a winner ? now, a poll came out last week actually that found hillary clinton "has the support of just
10:42 pm
with the remaining 69% of millennials split evenly between bernie sanders and harambe. ( laughter ) but, i do know of one millennial who's voting for hillary, former president george h.w. bush. he qualifies as a millennial because i believe he's a thousand years old. ( laughter ) just kidding. he's a vigorous 92, and two years ago, he celebrated his 90th birthday by skydiving and tweeting about it. ( cheers and applause ) so to those of you out there whose grandpa still can't figure out how to use an iphone, have him try it in midair. here's how we know how he's voting. yesterday, former maryland official and robert kennedy's daughter, kathleen kennedy townsend, posted this picture of her with h.w. on facebook, saying, "the president told me he's voting for hillary!" so-- ( cheers and applause )
10:43 pm
so, jeb bush, there goes your one write-in vote. ( laughter ) now, so, to recap: a bush told a kennedy he's voting for a clinton. if you're playing along at home, that's "illuminati bingo." ( laughter ) say hello to jon batiste and stay human, everybody. ? ? ? ? ? ? >> stephen: it's like old days. old home week. hey! all right, all right. everybody feeling okay? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: i'm glad to hear it because it's been a rough couple of days here in new york and around the country. and a lot of people are trying to figure out how to keep us safe.
10:44 pm
then there's this next thing. last night, trump's oldest son and guy who promises you a great deal on a 2003 suzuki sidekick. donald trump, jr., tweeted out this graphic: it's a powerful metaphor, really makes me reconsider my stance on eating syrian refugees. ( laughter ) now, now, there are a couple of problems with this skittles meme. first off, it reads, "if i had a bowl of skittles and i told you just three would kill you--" period. okay, that's not right. ( laughter ) as in, "if you think that's a complete sentence, you must have your head up your." ( laughter ) ( applause ) also--
10:45 pm
period! period! also, turns out the math is wrong. he's saying three out of a little bowl of refugees would kill you, but last week the conservative cato institute did the math and found the odds of an american being killed by a refugee in a terror attack is one in 3.64 billion. so that's not three poisoned skittles in a bowl. that's three poisoned skittles in one and a half olympic-sized swimming pools of skittles. ( laughter ) would eat all of them. because once you get started you're like-- two more, two more. i'll just have two more. worst of all, this meme isn't even original. it's a ripoff of a similar idea posted by a feminist group, though in the original analogy, they used m&ms. of course, the trump family prefers skittles because there are no brown ones. ( applause )
10:46 pm
but, here's the real problem with this graphic: it compares refugees fleeing their war-torn countries to pieces of sugar. these are people who dream of living in a country where food is so plentiful, we waste our candy on metaphors. so let me explain to donald trump, jr. why he's wrong in language he can understand. listen up, airhead. redu problems to candy is nutrageous. anyone with an ounce of smarties is snickering at you, because you are alienating a lot of peeps. i mean, where does it end? do we keep out swedish fisherman or gay couples like mike and ike? ( laughter ) ( applause ) you're just trying to skor a cheap political payday with this
10:47 pm
( cheers and applause ) there's more. there's more. so go back to 5th avenue, and fudge yourself. ( cheers and applause ) we'll be right back to ponder the innocence of youth with a surprise guest. ? ? ? ( applause ) i tried hard to quit smoking. but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me.
10:48 pm
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (whispers rocket)
10:49 pm
min so we don't have to wad to get clean. charmin ultra soft gets you clean without the wasteful wadding. it has comfort cushions you can see that are softer... ...and more absorbent, and you can use up to 4 times less. enjoy the go with charmin. [?diggy? by spencer ludwig]
10:50 pm
n't expec an applebee's usda choice top sirloin searing to smoky oak perfection on a new wood-fired grill... ...just wait until you see the price. wood-fired steak with two sides for just $9.99. now for a limited time.
10:52 pm
( band playing ) ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: hey, welcome back, everybody! in just a little bit, i'm really excited, because just in a little bit i'll be sitting down with first lady michelle obama. ( cheers and applause ) everybody likes her. everybody likes this woman, even though she is most famous for telling people to eat their vegetables. it's incredible. for eight years at home and abroad, she has provided a voice for every american who wanted to tell the rest of the world "see? we're not all crazy." the first lady is here to talk about "let girls learn," her
10:53 pm
young women all across the globe. now, this might come as a shock to a lot of you, but i am not a girl. ( laughter ) but a lot of important people in my life-- my daughter, my wife, my mother-- they were all once girls. and i can tell you, i'm glad they had access to education. of course, i did go to school, and i learned a lot while growing up. but there are times that i miss the innocence of being a child. i wish there was a place i could go where everything i knew when i was a child was still true. and you know what? there still is. my blanket fort. ? ? ? ( applause ) >> stephen: hey, hey, are you still awake? >> oh!
10:54 pm
yeah. >> stephen: hey, michelle? >> what? >> stephen: nothin'. ( laughter ) >> hey, stephen? >> stephen: hey, yeah? >> if you got stuck on a desert island with one famous person, who would you pick? >> stephen: oh, i'd pick the id how about you? >> beyonce. ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: wait, wait, wait. can i change to beyonce? >> no. she's mine. >> stephen: can i visit? >> maybe. >> stephen: hey, michelle? do you think fruits and vegetables have feelings? >> gosh, i hope not.
10:55 pm
>> stephen: hey, can i have one of your baby carrots? >> yeah, they're great. ( laughter ) >> stephen: hey, did you know that if you eat too many carrots you turn orange? >> really? >> stephen: yeah. and if you turn really orange, you have to start saying crazy things and run for president. ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> h, think adults do all day while we're at school? >> stephen: oh, they go to work. >> and what do they do at work? >> stephen: i think they drink wine and watch r-rated movies. >> hey, what do you want to be when you grow up? >> stephen: oh, i think i want to go to harvard and be a lawyer and a writer and an advocate for nutrition and military families and girls' education.
10:56 pm
>> i want to be joe biden. >> stephen: yeah. >> or a pirate. >> stephen: ooh! or a pirate joe biden! arrrr. get off me-- get off me train! >> that's pretty good, joe biden michelle obama pirate. >> stephen: you want to see something spooky? >> yeah. oh, my gosh! don'ha it's not funny! >> stephen: hey, ow, ow! ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: when i grow up i'm going to be president so i'll have the secret service stop you from doing that to me. hey, michelle, why do we have to take the presidential physical fitness test? why does he care how many sit- ups i can do?
10:57 pm
>> stephen: i heard some teachers have their own kids at home. >> really? >> stephen: yeah. >> how do they get them? >> stephen: i hear they pick the ones they like best from last year's class. hey, michelle, do you know where babies come from? >> you should ask a grown-up. >> stephen: why? >> because they get really flustered when you ask and they start stuttering. it's the funniest thing in the whole world. you gotta see it. >> stephen: i'm going to do that. >> hey, stephen. >> stephen: yeah. >> if you got one wish what would it be? >> stephen: i'm not telling unless you tell. >> well, i'm not telling unless you tell. >> stephen: okay, let's count to three and say them at the same time. >> okay.
10:58 pm
the 62 million girls worldwide who are not in school! ( cheers and applause ) >> jinx! now you can't talk until i say your name, stephen! >> stephen: that counts! my friend michelle obama, everybody. we'll be right back. ? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) (cheering on tv)
10:59 pm
but still like dust, i rise. you can shoot me with your words... you can cut me with your lies... you can kill me with your hatefulness. but still, like air... we rise. ? when lenscrafters can digitally map them for you. introducing clarifye,
11:00 pm
discover card. i'm not a customer, but i'm calling about that credit scorecard. sure! it's free for everyone. oh! well that's nice! and checking your score won't hurt your credit. oh! (to dog)i'm so proud of you. well thank you. get yo free credit scorecard at discover.com. even if you're not a customer. ? ? ? ?
11:01 pm
i'm jamie foxx for verizon. in the nation's largest independent study by and i'm jamie foxx for sprint, with no wins in reliability in any state. you need to stop your shenanigans. i-i'm... you're not jamie foxx. i'm close enough, just like sprint. no! look at my map. take it in. oh! yeah, there you go. eh? yeah. oh. (sighs) don't get fooled by a cut rate network. verizon gives you tons of data without all the restrictions. get twenty gigs and four lines for only 160, with no surprise overages. on america's best network. i'm mike coffman,
11:02 pm
he fought in world war two, was wounded in korea. he's the reason i joined at 17, fought in two iraq wars, and still serve today. the va scandal is an outrage, failing to care for our wounded warriors. that's why i took on the va: to get our veterans the care and respect they deserve. because i understand the sacrifices they made, and i'll never stop fighting for those who fought for us. for me, it's personal. ( band playing ) >> stephen: welcome back, everybody. it is now my honor to welcome back to the "late show" the first lady of the united states, michelle obama.
11:03 pm
all around the world ? this is for my girls ? ( cheers and applause ) ? this is for my girls all around the world ( cheers and applause ) ( cheers and applause ) >> nice crowd, yeah! >> stephen: good to see you again. ( cheers and applause ) >> you, too. you guys are so sweet! ( cheers and applause )
11:04 pm
few people. i have known a few people in washington, d.c., and not all of them get that kind of reception when they go someplace. um, so, you're almost done with the eight years in the white house. >> yes. almost-- we're almost out of there! >> stephen: how does that feel? is it at all bittersweet? >> yeah. >> stephen: or you're like, "where's the exit?" >> it's definitely bittersweet. i mean, everything is, like, the last, you know? and i find myself choking up in the white house. we've had so many amazing experiences. we have a phenomenal staff. we live in a house with people who love us and care about us. and, you know, we're going to be walking away from all that and it's just been an honor. >> stephen: have you had to say to the kids, "be prepared. the next house is not going to be like this." >> i actually made my kids start packing their rooms already. it's like, get this done. well, you know.
11:05 pm
>> my thing is if you don't pack it, i'm throwing it out. so, that's what i do. >> stephen: then it ends up on ebay. >> it's on ebay, i sell it. you know. >> stephen: well, the most important question i have to ask you is, what is beyonce really like? ( laughter ) ( cheers and applause ) she's-- she's so talented that i have trouble looking at her without my retinas burning out. you guys actually hang out like friends, right? >> you shouldn't look her in the eye. she's a special person. >> stephen: what i because she looks up to you. >> she's a sweetheart. i mean, she's smart. she's creative. she's a great mother. she loves her family. i mean, she's a-- she's just, you know, she's just a low-key lady. so we have a lot in common in that way. except i can't sing. i can't dance. ( laughter ) >> stephen: you can dance. i've seen you dance. >> not like beyonce. ( laughter ) >> stephen: well, i want to talk to you about this "essence" magazine. this is a beautiful--
11:06 pm
talking about your eight years in there. but i need to talk to you about this picture, which, when it was released, burned the internet to ground, right there. ( applause ) what-- >> that's me and my boo. >> stephen: you know, we liked you already. you didn't have to release this photograph. what are you guys saying to each other there? how did this moment come about? >> you know, barack is horrible in photo shoots,au hate doing photo shoots with him, so i'm sure right there i was saying, "would you just be patient," and, "stop. don't rush the photographer." he's like, "i think we got the shot. can i go, can i go?" "no, you can't go." that was exactly-- barack has two smiles for a photo. it's like this smile or this smile. ( laughter ) and he just sort of like, "i think we're done. we have it." and it's like, "no, we didn't. these photographers they have
11:07 pm
he comes in and says, "i think i can give you five minutes." i was trying to convince him to chill out and relax, so they caught that discussion. ( laughter ) >> stephen: that's what's happening right there? this is just-- >> chill out. chill out. >> stephen: "please, please, just one more photograph." >> and he's like, "really?" >> stephen: who is it harder to get to stand for a photograph, your husband or your children? >> oh, my husband, without a doubt. i mean, well-- yeah, him. he's tough. him or bo and sonny. >> stephen: well? >> him. ( laughter ) >> stephen: now, that smile, that was a pretty good impression of your husband. do you do an impression of your husband? >> we all three of us have good impressions of barack. >> stephen: would you mind sharing a little bit? >> well, it's usually at the dinner table because you know-- malia will start it because she usually asks serious question. "dad, tell us about your day. and what about that conversation
11:08 pm
don't get him started." and he's like, "well, i'm glad-- i'm glad you asked that. let me just-- let me just answer that in three points. one--" and then one-"a," and one-"a" and "b." and sasha and i are like, "oh!" >> stephen: you're like, professor, can i audit this lecture? >> because sasha and i want to talk about our favorite song on the "lemonade" album. that's what we want to talk about. >> stephen: i heard you say about the president that he leaves the job at the door when he comes into the residential part of the white house. >> he does. >> stephen: is that really true? i can't leave my job at the door. how does he leave that at the door? >> you know, at least our time together. when he first walks in, we have dinner. it's usually dinner time. so that's the time when unless malia asks him about his work, which we try not to have her do, it's all about the kids, you
11:09 pm
what's going on? what's the latest gossip?" he's really into gossip, so you can get him-- because he doesn't have a life. ( laughter ) >> stephen: no, but he's got the n.s.a., and he can find out what any of us are thinking. ( laughter ) ( applause ) so, being the first lady, being the first lady, obviously, is a lot of responsibility. it's a great honor at the same time. do you have any first lady-- wh y eight years-- do you have any first lady faux pas, like "i can't believe that moment?" >> oh, god, so many of them. they usually involve pronouncing somebody's name wrong. i'm so horrible. >> stephen: because you go all around the world. >> oh, god, names are so hard. and i practice and i try to get- - and then i get up there and i mess it up. even names here in the united states. i mean, kids these days, their names. i mean-- i can tell you, i think i've got it right. i'm looking at the name card,
11:10 pm
i'm usually just like, "hey, sweetie, how are you doing?" i just have given up on that. >> stephen: it's colbert, you don't pronounce the "t." >> and it's not steve. it's stephen. >> stephen: that's exactly right. thank you for remembering. >> i remember that, i remember. >> stephen: that's very nice of you. >> because you're pretty touchy about that. ( laughter ) >> stephen: was there-- can you have an "oh, my god moment. i can't believe this is happening. this fun thing i got to do." i, uh, sleepover at buckingham palace. >> stephen: what? >> yeah, what? >> stephen: did you and the queen paint each other's toenails or something like that? >> no, when they hosted us for the state dinner. when you're the guest country you stay at buckingham palace. i do remember ordering french fries at the palace. it was, they were good. they were some good fries. >> stephen: do you guys have french fries at the white house? >> yes, we have everything at the white house.
11:11 pm
>> hey, hey, not every day. but you know. i love french fries. i am a big french fry fanatic. that's why i have to eat vegetables because -- >> stephen: just to balance it out. >> to balance it out, for sure. it would get ugly. >> stephen: you said to oprah-- my good friend oprah. please say hi. >> i will. >> stephen: that your husband-- i want to get this right-- you called him swagga-licious. >> i did. >> stephen: how is swagga- liciousness achieved? of swag. and if you don't know what swag is, steve, you definitely don't have it. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: i think-- i think it's time to go to a commercial. i'll work on my swag. we'll be right back with more first lady michelle obama.
11:12 pm
(foot steps) ? (crickets chirping) ? (jet engine) ? (heart beat) ? (water splashing) (rain drops) (engine revving) (tires on wet road) ? lease the exhilarating 2017 lincoln mkz for $349 a month only at your lincoln dealer. king me. (rico thinking): this must be how odell beckham feels when he scores a game winning touchdown. announcer: beckham scores! giant's touchdown! (crowd noise) (odell beckham thinking): this must be how rico felt
11:13 pm
? every time i travel, it's the moments that are most rewarding. ? because if you let yourself embrace them, you'll never forget them. the new marriott portfolio of hotels now has 30 brands in over 110 countries. so no matter where you go, you are here. join or link accounts at members.marriott.com. fact. people spend less time lying awake with aches and pains with advil pm than with tylenol pm. advil pm combines the number one pain reliever with the number one sleep aid. gentle, non-habit forming advil pm. for a healing night's sleep. this is the story of how mr. bonejangles met his match. mr. bonejangles was always looking for something. but he never found it. until one day... seven in dog time...
tv-commercial
11:14 pm
fell right in his lap. was he expecting the perfect toy at an amazing price? no, of course not, he's a dog. but that's the beauty of a store full of surprises. you never know what you're gonna find, but you know you're gonna love it.
11:15 pm
when i was one year old, i was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer on my spinal chord. but i spent my whole life fighting back. so you can imagine what i thought when i saw donald trump say... "i don't know what i said, ah, i don't remember!" "that reporter he is talking about suffers from a chronic condition that impairs movement of his arms." i don't want a president who makes fun of me. i want a president who inspires me, and that's not donald trump. priorities usa action is responsible for the content of this advertising. before donald trump, there was mike coffman. before trump said women should be punished for having an abortion, coffman wrote a bill to redefine rape, which could exclude women who were drugged. before trump called for a ban of muslims, coffman pushed for a religious test of u.s. soldiers. and on president obama? trump: he could have been born in kenya. coffman: he's just not an american. stop mike coffman now before he gives trump
11:16 pm
? ? ? ( applause ) >> stephen: welcome back, everybody. we're here with first lady michelle obama. the campaign is going on right now. we've got the two candidates out there who have their own agendas and their spouses have to sort of go along with whatever this person is doing. do you have any sympathy for the people who have to go there and stand by the person running for president? >> uh, no, not really. >> no, because if-- you know, you have to be, you know, in it. if you're in it, and if you don't agree, you should have agreed before they ran, you know. bottom line is, if i didn't agree with what barack was saying, i would not support his run. so i stand there proudly, and i hope they are, too, standing with their spouses proudly. so no sympathy. >> stephen: but the things they have to go through.
11:17 pm
out to be a portion of your speech. ( cheers and applause ) but do you have any sympathy, because there are people around her creating things. and, you know, i have some sympathy for her. do you understand how that might be sympathetic for what happened to her? >> yeah, that was tough. ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: let's move on. let's move on. all right. let's talk about "let girls learn." so 62 million young women around the world do not have access to quality education. what is "let girls learn" doing to try to improve that situation? because that's a huge problem. >> it's huge. part of it is bringing awareness to the issue. not just internationally, but here at home as well. and we've done a lot in a year and a half to galvanize resources, expertise. the united states has invested millions of additional resources.
11:18 pm
in girls' education. the world bank group is investing over $1 billion in girls' education. ( applause ) >> stephen: some of these-- some of the reasons-- i assume-- and you can correct me if i'm wrong- - i assume some of the reasons are there are sort of cultural obstacles to girls being valued as educated members of society. how do you-- how do you effectively change those cultural obstacles, rather than p do you make sure those opportunities are taken advantage of in countries that may not ordinarily offer them? >> that's what we're working on. and we know we have to be on the ground. because you can't change culture if you're not a part of the culture. and the peace corps has played an important role. we have peace corps volunteers that are working on "let girls learn" initiatives on the ground where they're in a community, in a village, for up to two years, really understanding the cultural issues, developing
11:19 pm
not just the girls but for their parents. so you have to take each community where they are. there's no one solution to that. this problem, which is what makes it so complicated-- every community is different. so awareness and engagement is critical. but we're grateful to the peace corps volunteers out there that are doing the hard work on the ground. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: i understand, right here in the audience-- and, jim, if we could get a shot of this-- there are some young ladies >> yes. >> stephen: who actually have been part of this program from malawi, jordan. pakistan. ( applause ) ( cheers ) >> well, they-- they spoke so eloquently. they told their stories at an event that you helped to host yesterday here. >> stephen: absolutely beautiful event here in new york city.
11:20 pm
we held it for the spouses of the world leaders for the u.n. general assembly. it was a mixture of stories and, you know, inspiration from these girls, and empowering music from some of the top broadway stars. and we had this handsome young man here helping us keep it all together. and i'm so grateful for your support, not just yesterday, but on everything you do on issues that you don't just speak out on. you don't just make us laugh. and you care about them. and that's why i like you. >> stephen: thank you very much. it was an honor to be invited. thank you very much. there's a documentary, there's a documentary that cnn is going to have on called: "we will rise" a cnn film that followed you on a trip to liberia. >> marrakesh and madrid. >> stephen: and we have a clip right here. jim? >> you're important in your own right.
11:21 pm
because of your story, because of your challenges. that's what makes you unique. you know? you want to be different. you want to be special. the fact that you've been able to overcome challenges-- and this is what i always thought-- that made me smarter. that made me better, right? because i could overcome things that a lot of people who were in the same position never had to overcome. >> yeah. ( cheers and applause ) much for being here. it's always an honor to talk to you. and i hope we have the chance to have you back again once you leave the white house, because i know that you and your husband will not stop trying to make a change in the world. >> no, absolutely. >> stephen: thank you so much. >> thank you, stephen. >> stephen: "we will rise: michelle obama's mission to educate girls around the world" premieres october 11 on cnn. to find out how you can help support girls' education, go to letgirlslearn.gov. we'll be right back with america
11:22 pm
? ? ? ( applause ) ? we're going to prove just how wet and sticky your current gel antiperspirant is. now, we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray. degree. it won't let you down. ?
11:23 pm
? ? only those who dare drive the world forward. the cadillac ct6. when cold and flu hold you back try theraflu expressmax, now in new caplets. it's the only cold & flu caplet with a unique warming sensation you instantly feel. theraflu. for a powerful comeback. new expressmax caplets. that's charmin ultra strong, dude. cleans so well, it keeps your underwear cleaner. so clean... you could wear them a second day. charmin ultra strong. it's 4 times stronger, and you can use up to 4 times less. enjoy the go with charmin. applebee's usda choice top sirloin isn't just a top choice cut of meat.
11:24 pm
now only $9.99 for a limited time.
11:25 pm
11:26 pm
what is driving performance? it's not a weekend hobby. you have to live and breathe it for 50 years. it's letting it all hang out there, and it's hanging on for dear life. that is what amg driving performance means. and this is where it lives.
11:27 pm
[?diggy? by spencer ludwig] ? ? ? ? ? ?
11:28 pm
>> stephen: hey, everybody. welcome back. you know my next guest from "the sisterhood of the traveling pants," "ugly betty" and the democratic national convention. she now stars in the comedy, "superstore." please welcome back america ferrera! ? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) >> hello! >> stephen: welcome back. nice to see you again. >> good to see you, too. >> stephen: the last time we were together you and i ate some horrible sandwiches together. >> that's right. >> stephen: our childhood food that we made for ourselves because we were latch key kids. >> very unhealthy. >> stephen: yeah, i had mayonnaise on white bread with sugar. >> yes, and i had white bread with just like an inch of sugar and corn flakes. >> stephen: both war crimes,
11:29 pm
because i understand-- i have a picture here you can explain to me. you ran a triathlon this weekend? >> yeah. >> stephen: so what does that mean? what-- what does that constitute? what are parts of it? >> that means you swim a mile in the ocean. >> stephen: where? >> in the ocean. >> stephen: but where ocean? which ocean? >> the pacific ocean. >> stephen: what about sharks? >> stephen, i spent a long time trying to pretend like sharks didn't exist. sharks are out there. >> i know. i just told myself they don't. like climate change. you just say it doesn't exist and it doesn't. >> stephen: one mile in the ocean. >> 25 miles biking and a 10k run, so that's 6.2 miles. >> stephen: i don't have it the stick-to-ive-ness to do that. had you done anything like that before? >> i had never done anything like it that before. in high school i was on track and field but mainly to spend
11:30 pm
job? >> my very first job i was hired by my next door neighbor to clean after her pet pig. >> stephen: a pet pig, not like a farm pig. >> no, the pig lived in the house. >> stephen: i didn't know you could have a pig live in your house. >> i don't know if it was legal. i'm just saying it happened. i don't know if it was legal for her to hire a nine-year-old to clean after the pig, either. but i did it. >> stephen: that sounds like rough work. >> yeah, but i needed that cash, yo. >> stephen: i know. flakes and the sugar. >> stephen: somebody has to. did you have a chance to say hello to the first lady? >> i did. it was very exciting. >> stephen: she's very nice, isn't she? >> she's amazing. she's incredible. i'm so grateful we have her voice and her sanity in this time. ( applause ) ( cheers ) yeah. >> stephen: one of the things that she was saying, not on camera, but she was saying that the idea of asking a young
11:31 pm
should not stop once you grow up. people should be continually asked, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" >> i agree with that. >> stephen: so what do you want to be when you grow up, america ferrera? >> i want to be kinder. >> stephen: that's nice. are you a jerk now? ( laughter ) >> i mean, i want to work towards being a kinder, more compassionate, more understanding person. >> stephen: that's nice. >> yeah. and i also think, too, i heard a really interesting thing, that instead of asking kids, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" you can ask them, "what do you have to contribute when you grow up?" and i thought that was a really special way of looking at it. >> stephen: well, that's nice. >> yeah, yeah. >> stephen: what part am i going to play in society? >> yeah, what do i have to contribute? what do i have to give, to leave the world just a little bit better. >> stephen: the first time you were here you were here for "superstore." >> yes. >> stephen: and it's been picked up for another season. >> yeah. >> stephen: congratulations on that. ( applause )
11:32 pm
said-- i understand you said this is the first time you have been cast in a part that wasn't specifically written for a latina. >> yeah. >> stephen: what do you mean by that? >> it means it was the first time i had been asked to do a role that wasn't specifically written for a latina. ( laughter ) >> stephen: jimmy, jimmy, let's cut that question out of the interview, please. that would be great. >> it means that every other role that i had been offered had been specified. carmen, latina. and this was the first time i read a script, amy, 30, no ethnicity. and, you know, that seems like, you know, not that big of a deal. but in television or film if the ethnicity isn't specified the assumption and default in most cases is white. and you have to give a reason for that role to be something other than that.
11:33 pm
this world and to write not just my character but all the characters just as people and not specify their ethnicity. but then go out and cast the best person for the role who happened to be latino, black, asian, that felt really unique in this industry, and unique in the world-- ( applause ) to be seen as a person before you're seen as, you know, the color of your skin. >> stephen: america, thank you so much for being here. it's always nice to see you. te america ferrera, everyone! we'll be right back.
11:34 pm
11:35 pm
>> stephen: that's it for the "late show." good night! captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org ? are you ready y'all to have some fun ? feel the love tonight don't you worry 'bout ? nothin', baby it's going to be all right ? it's the late, late show >> reggie: ladies and gentlemen, all the way from rancho cucamonga, liberia, give it up

133 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on