Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  March 24, 2018 12:37am-1:38am PDT

12:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight -- ricky gervais. from "the chi," actress lena waithe. star of nbc's "blindspot," actor luke mitchell. featuring the 8g band with brendan canty. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] ladies and gentlemen, seth meyers. >> seth: good evening, i'm seth meyers. this is "late night." how is everybody doing tonight? [ cheers and applause ] that is great to hear. in that case, let's get to the news. after democratic candidate connor lamb declared victory last night in pennsylvania's special election, a "fox and friends" host suggested that lamb won because of his attractive looks. because if there's one thing
12:38 am
that congress is full of, it's stone-cold hotties. [ laughter ] they are a ten, like, combined. [ light laughter ] thousands of students across the country staged walk outs today to protest gun violence, which is a fantastic and beautiful thing that i support wholeheartedly. of course, you know there's that one kid who's gonna see this and start watching the news for any reason to walk out of school. [ laughter ] "you guys, republicans are pushing a bill that could delay negotiations over the debt ceiling! walk out! [ laughter ] walk out! just me? walk out! i'm on my own here? walk out!" [ cheers and applause ] senator bernie sanders spoke to a crowd of students in washington, d.c., participating in walk outs against gun violence. it's an issue close to bernie's heart because when he was in
12:39 am
high school, he once lead a student protest against catapult violence. [ laughter and applause ] "you can't study when a rock might crash through the wall!" [ laughter ] president trump was in california this week to view prototypes of his proposed border wall and said parts of the wall would have see-through capability. said his architect, "in that case, it's done? [ laughter and applause ] we did it? we did it?" first lady melania trump will host tech industry leaders at the white house next week to discuss her campaign against cyber bullying where she's expected to say "you guys talk to him!" [ laughter ] president trump yesterday proposed the idea of having a branch of the military called the space force. space force sounds like the
12:40 am
knock off action figures you got from your grandma on your birthday. "ah, thanks, grandma, it's just what i asked for. garth nader and ron yolo. [ laughter ] really cool." [ applause ] according to the "new york times," president trump is considering firing veterans affairs secretary david shulkin and replacing him with energy secretary rick perry and replacing energy secretary rick perry with a monkey holding a stapler. "stapler monkey is very good." [ laughter ] in response to the firing of rex tillerson, the "washington post" published an op-ed yesterday saying that president trump should take notes about dumping people from the reality show "the bachelor." said trump, "fine. rex was too old for me." [ laughter ]
12:41 am
tennessee officials are searching for a suspect who sold -- sorry. i'm so excited about this joke. i can't. tennessee officials are searching for a suspect who stole $75,000 worth of medical screws from an suv parked outside the owner's home. incidentally, "medical screws" was the original title of "grey's anatomy." [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] understand -- could not understand my excitement. netflix is reportedly in the early stages of developing a news show. and let me be the first to say no! [ laughter ] netflix is where i go to get away from the news. it's my oasis, my safe-haven. news on netflix would be like finding a dead rat in your jacuzzi. [ laughter ] i just want to go there, watch two and a half episodes of some weird danish detective show and fall asleep! just let me have my borf.
12:42 am
adult film star stormy daniels has launched an online fund-raiser to cover the legal cost of breaking the confidentiality agreement she made with president trump's personal lawyer michael cohen. so far out of the $100,000 she's asking for, she's only managed to raise $5 billion. [ laughter ] finally, the rock band heart has said that their song "barracuda" can be used by any candidate for their 2020 campaign except president trump. so yeah, biden's gonna use it. [ cheers and applause ] biden's gonna use "barracuda." you guys, we have a great show for you tonight. he has got an all new netflix stand up special, "humanity." he's one of our favorites, ricky gervais is back on the show. [ cheers and applause ] from showtime's acclaimed series, "the chi," as well as the eagerly anticipated film "ready player one," lena waithe joins us tonight. [ cheers and applause ] and he's one of the stars of nbc's "blindspot," luke mitchell
12:43 am
is joining us, so you're on a great night. [ cheers and applause ] before we get to all that, democrats appeared to rack up yet another major win in a special election on tuesday. meanwhile, president trump was musing about building a see-through wall and weaponizing space. for more on this, it's time for "a closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: the country once again turned its attention to a special election yesterday, this time in pennsylvania's 18th district between democrat connor lamb and republican rick saccone. and cable news gave us all the best election day rituals. news anchors pointing at giant walls. news anchors doing math on giant walls. news anchors doing math with paper in their mouths. [ laughter ] and news anchors doing math with pens in their mouths. >> we split the 650 in two. 325 -- 1625. you're probably gonna get, let's say you gotta get 1625 -- 1625. >> seth: all right. i'm just going to say it. i'm worried about
12:44 am
steve kornacki. if this is how amped he gets over a special election, i hope he's not planning on watching march madness. [ light laughter ] just, whatever you do, steve, please don't put that same pen back in your mouth when you think the camera is not on you. no, steve! the floors at msnbc aren't clean! they're covered in chris matthews spittle. [ laughter ] now early this evening the "new york times" called the race for lamb. which is a shocking result in the district trump won in 2016 by 20 points. in fact trump went to the district on saturday to campaign for the republican saccone. and i for one could not believe trump's last-minute appeal didn't put saccone over top. because if rick saccone was hoping trump would mention his name, trump mentioned everyone else. >> oh, i'd love oprah to win. i'd love to beat oprah. i know her weakness. maxine waters, a very low iq individual. sleepy-eyes chuck todd.
12:45 am
arnold schwarzenegger failed. martha stewart failed. obama. obama. obama. i went to school. i went to wharton. i went to school here. they show me. young, handsome. the red boards all red. it's like, red, man. that board was red. a little hard to sell tickets when you think you're going to be nuked. i'm very presidential. thank you very much. [ cheers and applause ] you elected your president. you like it, but do you like me? [ laughter ] >> seth: "hey, that's great. could you just mention my name because i'm running and i could use your help." trump is the worst wing man. he's the kind of guy who says to a girl at the bar "my buddy thinks you're hot. he's dumb and i'm awesome." [ laughter ] in fact, even when trump remembered to talk about saccone he could not help but veer off and immediately start talking about himself. >> vote for rick saccone and we can leave right now! come on.
12:46 am
[ cheers ] we don't have to spend any time. great guy. i'm thrilled to be back in pennsylvania. [ cheers ] where i went to school. went to college. the world is watching. this -- i hate to put this pressure on you rick, they're all watching. because i won this district, like, by 22 points. and connor lamb, lamb the sham. right. lamb the sham. he's trying to act like a republican so he gets -- he won't give me one vote. look, i don't know him. looks like a nice guy. i hear he's nice looking. i think i'm better looking than him. i do. [ laughter ] i do. >> seth: well, you're not. [ laughter ] the difference -- the difference between connor lamb -- [ cheers and applause ] the difference between connor lamb and you is the difference between jon hamm and a ham with googly eyes. [ laughter ] also, i wouldn't use a rhyming
12:47 am
nickname like lamb the sham when you're campaigning for a guy named rick. "let's beat lamb the sham. vote for rick the -- oh, oh no. oh rick, do you know what your name rhymes with? [ laughter ] really unfortunate for you!" and then when that didn't work, republicans decided to send in a second less charismatic donald trump, donald trump jr. [ light laughter ] he campaigned with saccone at an ice cream parlor on monday and while saccone spoke to the media, don jr. seemed mainly concerned with one thing, eating his ice cream. >> and i had won my first house in a 76 percent democrat district. i had a coal miner -- a rally down in greene county just the other day. production is way up. so, i don't know where you're getting that. and that's the forecast i have for coal. i've always been a defender of the coal industry. >> mr. trump, should -- mr. trump, should stormy daniels be able to speak? sir, should storym daniels -- mr. trump, should stormy daniels be able to speak?
12:48 am
>> thanks guys, that's not what we're talking about. [ laughter ] >> seth: "we're not talking about that, man, we're talking about ice cream. talking about how i crushed this ice cream." [ light laughter ] seriously don jr. is eating that ice cream like he's trying to get his picture on the wall. [ laughter ] but donald trump was not focused on his party losing yet another special election yesterday, because donald trump is thinking on a much grander scale. he can't focus on what's happening in pennsylvania. he can't even focus on what's happening on earth, because donald trump's mind is in the stars. as he made clear yesterday when he floated the bizarre idea of creating a space force while speaking to marines in california. >> space is a war-fighting domain. just like the land, air, and sea. [ light laughter ] we may even have a space force. develop another one. space force. we have the air force, we'll have the space force. we have the army and the navy. you know i was saying it, the other day, because we're doing a tremendous amount of work in space.
12:49 am
i said, maybe we need a new force. we'll call it the space force. so think of that. space force! [ laughter ] >> seth: did trump stop off at a weed dispensary while he was in california? [ laughter ] "because it's like, you know you have the air force. we should have a space force." [ laughter ] so we have a president gives people dumb nicknames, has sex with porn stars, and wants a space force. trump is what would happen if a 12-year-old wished on a zoltar machine to become president. during that speech, trump also bragged that his administration was prioritizing attempts to travel to mars and for some reason took a very weird shot at hillary clinton. >> we are finally going to lead again. you see what's happening? you see the rockets going up left and right? you haven't seen that for a long time. very soon we're going to mars. you wouldn't have been going to mars if my opponent won. [ light laughter ] >> seth: yeah, but we wouldn't
12:50 am
be going to hell either. so, you know. [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] she'd be way mature. but trump wasn't just california yesterday to talk about his plans for a space force, he was also there to look at prototypes for his proposed border wall. trump met with border patrol officials and was impressed to hear one of them use the phrase law and order. a phrase trump has used repeatedly when discussing immigration. >> so they reestablished law and order in san diego when they put up a wall, and it's not a superior wall, it's an inferior wall, but it's a wall. and you actually use the term reestablished law and order. >> yes sir. >> do you hear it folks, i mean say what you want. this is life. these are the facts of life. >> seth: law and order and the facts of life. he's just talking in tv show titles now. we're establishing "law and order" and those are the "facts of life." even though my "entourage" is full of "mad men" doing "stranger things" because i'm "shameless" and embroiled in
12:51 am
"scandal," which is why my "west wing" looks like "the walking dead." and when i'm impeached those will be "happy days." [ cheers and applause ] "barney miller." barney. "barney miller." [ laughter ] now you think building a wall would be a pretty simple project but yesterday trump added a new demand. he wants a wall that is see through. >> i mean we're looking very much at the wall with some see through capability on the other side and then solid concrete on top. the problem is you have to have see through. you have to know what's on the other side of the wall. >> seth: a wall with see through capability. i guess that sounds better than we're going to build a sneeze guard on the mexican border. [ laughter ] but while trump tries to solve imaginary problems involving space armies and see through walls, he's ignoring very real problems here on earth. specifically the nation's epidemic of gun violence and because our president apparently refused to do anything about it, thousands of students across the country today staged mass walk outs to demand action on gun reform. >> thousands of students across the country walking out of
12:52 am
class. you are looking at live pictures. this is a move to protest gun violence. >> we definitely have a responsibility to utilize our rights. because they're going to go away or we're gonna have to use them. so you have to use power while you have it. >> this is marion. he is an 11th grader. marion, what's your message today? >> my message today is let's stop talking about the change and actually make one. >> seth: that's amazing. students are making passionate compelling demands for gun reform. that's one vision of the future. here is the president's vision of the future. >> think of that. space force! [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: this has been "a closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with ricky gervais, everybody! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: for more of seth's "closer looks" be sure to subscribe to "late night" on youtube. ♪
12:53 am
race in to old navy! right now get up to fifty percent off the entire store. plus, get women's dresses from twelve dollars and girls' dresses from eight dollars, at old navy. try the deoderant saving millions of clothes. degree ultraclear black + white. no yellow stains on white clothes. no white marks on black clothes. try degree ultraclear black + white. it won't let you down. try to read me like a book. but i leave em all shook. because you can't judge a book by its cover. this campaign and this project is all about us not wanting to be boxed in. to let people know that you cant just place labels without learning who they are as a person first.
12:54 am
this is sumiko through the lens of google pixel 2. this is sumiko on her birthday. she turned 83. this is her with all her friends. this is what she does on tuesdays. this is what she does on saturdays. (dance music) her dj name is sumirock. there's a deeper story behind every picture. question your lens. feel the power of thenew power...smax. behind every picture. ...to fight back theraflu's powerful new formula to defeat 7 cold and flu symptoms... fast. so you can play on. theraflu expressmax. new power. i like yours too.hair. can i have some? it's not cool to ask that.
12:55 am
thanks, captain obvious. online dating isn't always rewarding. but hotels.com is. instant savings now, free nights later. hotels.com now comes in a pocket pack. i can take it anywhere. to the shoe store! ♪break through. ♪break through. doespeninsula trail?he you won't find that on a map. i'll take you there. take this left. if you listen real hard you can hear the whales. oop. you hear that? (vo) our subaru outback lets us see the world. sometimes in ways we never imagined. (avo) get 0% apr financing on all-new 2018 subaru outback models. now through april 2nd.
12:56 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back everybody, and please, give it up for the 8g band right over there! [ cheers and applause ] also joining us again tonight on drums, he's a founding member of post hardcore punk legeneds fugazi, and be sure to pick the self-titled album from his new band, "the messthetics" available march 23rd on discord records. brendan canty is here. thank you so much for being her brendan. [ cheers and applause ] our first guest tonight is an emmy, and golden globe-winning actor and comedian you know from "the office," and "extras." his new stand up special, "humanity" is streaming on
12:57 am
netflix. please welcome back to the show, ricky gervais, everyone. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so happy to have you back! >> oh, it's lovely to be here. >> seth: you said it's your favorite special to do because you have no fear anymore. >> yeah. no, it's my favorite tour. it's my favorite special. yeah, like i have no fear. no, i did think that. i thought, you know, you sort of -- you want to be better, and you want to be bigger, but mainly you sort of want to be more honest. you want to get to the point where, you know, and i've reached the point where i've got old people's rights so i don't care. >> seth: oh, you have old people's rights? >> yes, i don't care. >> seth: oh, officially. >> i don't care if people act -- because i'm going to die soon. >> seth: right. [ laughter ] not soon, but -- >> you know what i mean. well, no, but they can go oh, i'm offended. >> seth: you have less to go then you had. >> yeah, exactly. yeah, i'm definitely closer to death than birth. >> seth: yeah. >> that's a fact.
12:58 am
>> seth: that's a fact. no one would argue that. >> yeah, exactly. so, i don't care, you know. i've got the ultimate get out clause, you know. >> seth: you, and you. i do -- you use this -- >> also i don't care as well. i don't care now if people -- want to fight, or they want to punch me. i don't care about my face anymore. >> seth: oh. [ laughter ] >> you know what i mean? i've got nothing to lose, and i don't care if i punch them because i don't care if i'm in jail anymore. >> seth: oh wow. [ light laughter ] >> cause no one is going to go after me in the shower now. [ light laughter ] do you know what i mean? >> seth: oh, that was why you were concerned about jail. >> well i was young and gorgeous, but now -- [ laughter ] now a big -- if they go in the shower they'll go oh god. [ bleep ] me. jesus christ. so, i'm alright. i'm alright. >> seth: and then they're writing angry letters to the warden, like jail, jail isn't what it was promised to me. >> yeah. >> seth: you do talk about ageing a lot in the special. >> yes. yeah. >> seth: and how it's affected your body. >> yeah, well you're talking about one bit in particular. >> seth: yeah. >> yeah. they are pendulums.
12:59 am
>> seth: yeah. yeah. >> yeah, they are, and it was a shock to me. how old you are you? >> seth: i'm 44. >> so your's are probably nice and perk still. [ laughter ] >> seth: they're -- i meant they're good, but if i saw a picture of them at 34 i'd be like, oh. >> seth: [ bleep ] >> and mine was -- but i wasn't looking. i wasn't checking. so, it was a shock to me. >> seth: yeah. >> you know what i mean? i didn't see them for 20 years, but it was like, um, then i went "oh, my god!" they were just -- i could take down ostriches with mine. you know what i mean. >> seth: yeah. >> honestly. >> seth: and so -- yeah. and so it caught you off guard. it wasn't sort of gradual. you just sort of went -- >> no, yeah. no, i discovered it in the bath. >> seth: yeah. >> i talk about this on the show, and i go -- yeah, they were floating and that was a shock to me. >> seth: yeah. the other thing, you know, i have a 2 year-old -- >> right. >> seth: and then you know, when you see what they look like at the start, that's when you really realize how bad yours have gone. >> yeah. i don't -- i don't -- i haven't got a baby. >> seth: yeah. so you, then you -- >> and i don't remember mine too. >> seth: yeah. >> you know, so. >> seth: and you certainly don't want to agree with because then i'd be like whose did you see? >> hold on though. don't they -- they're not even there. don't they drop?
1:00 am
>> there's enough there to be like mine are a nightmare. [ laughter ] compared to these. >> yeah. and now they're just -- >> yeah. >> now, it's like something you'd see in a butcher's bin. [ laughter ] >> seth: you obviously have to go to a doctor. is your doctor familiar with you as a celebrity? >> oh that's the other thing. you're 42? aren't you? >> seth: 44, yeah. >> 44, so you haven't had, don't even have to have a finger yet. >> seth: no. >> no. i've had like five or six years of that. >> seth: really, so it's annual? >> which is awkward. [ laughter ] yeah. yeah. >> seth: yeah. well, i had heard. i had heard forty. >> if you could say that, yes. >> seth: i had heard 40, and i went to my doctor, and i was like alright. i was like braced for it, and they said no it's not 40 anymore. now it's like 50. >> you're kidding. >> seth: i was like let's get it over with. >> you were saying, i'm 50. >> seth: yeah. >> come on! >> seth: i lied, and they were like -- >> come on. [ laughter ] >> seth: they made me take out my driver's license. they're like come back in ten years buddy! >> go away mr. meyers. >> seth: we get this a lot. >> we're not falling for that again. no, but i mean it's still the finger, and it's always awkward, and there's a thing that i don't think you have it here. the doctor says can i give you a rectal? i go, yeah, yeah, just do it. right?
1:01 am
they say would you like a chaperone in case they're a pervert? >> seth: oh. >> you know, like someone comes in -- i go no, it'll be worse. it's bad enough you got your finger up my ass, now you've got a mate watching. definitely not. [ laughter ] that's just weird. isn't it. [ laughter ] >> seth: yeah, exactly. >> it's weird, and it's still -- listen, we're all adults, and i'm nervous. and i make a joke about it, just sort of, cause i think that it's awkward for him, as well. >> seth: of course. >> but once, right, it was like the first time i had it done, to break the ice he said -- he said big fan of "the office." [ laughter ] i went oh, thank you very much! >> seth: oh, okay. [ laughter ] >> oh god. oh, my word. >> seth: you sort of always have done material that some people would say is on the wrong side of taste. >> yeah. >> seth: you actually told
1:02 am
hitler jokes in berlin. >> yeah. >> seth: how did that go? >> they loved it. >> seth: yeah. >> honestly. [ laughter ] >> seth: i thought so. >> i mean it's a piece i do everywhere. i do the same show everywhere. >> seth: yeah. >> and you know, you don't think, oh well is it going to go down well, and i was worried about it, and i just started it and i just said, "yeah, come on. let's talk about hitler." and they loved it. you know? >> seth: yeah. >> but, yeah, hitler is universal. everyone, you know -- >> seth: yeah. >> do you know what i mean? you're never -- i'll never stop from finding th funny in hitler. >> seth: i agree with you. >> it annoys me as well, right? one thing about hitler that annoys me. [ laughter ] >> seth: all right. you can make your case, but just know -- >> okay, let me -- hear me out -- >> seth: just know -- >> hear me out -- >> seth: alright. let's hear it. >> it's got to be crass, right? you know, no. when people say, in all like sci-fi things, the first thing someone does when they've got a time machine is they go back in and kill hitler. i've talked to people who say, yeah i'd do that. i go, you're just saying that. you haven't thought about that. that's not the first thing you do. you go back and meet your nan or something, do you know what i
1:03 am
mean? >> seth: yeah. >> when she was young, or -- right, i don't know why. i don't know why i'd do that. i wouldn't do that. >> seth: the weird thing would be if she was with hitler. [ laughter ] >> oh yeah. >> seth: and you're like, oh no! >> one stop shopping. one stop shopping. no. i say why would you? they tried to kill hitler at the time, and i "go no, i would kill him when he was a baby, and i think how could -- you couldn't." have you seen how cute hitler was as a baby? >> seth: no. i've never seen hitler as a baby. do you have it. >> right, right, yeah, wait, wait. look at this. right? oh, there it is. look how cute -- >> seth: there you go, look over there -- >> hitler was as a little baby. right? [ laughter ] >> seth: oh yeah. >> yeah, i mean, as if you could go back and strangle -- [ laughter ] he hasn't even done -- don't forget he hasn't done anything wrong yet. >> seth: yeah. >> so you're going to go back -- and then you're going to -- no! he hasn't -- let's see what happens. also, i wouldn't kill him. i would change him. i would just be nice to him. get him in to art college. do you know what i mean. >> seth: oh, i see. [ laughter ] you would just change him, yeah. >> you don't know, you know -- i know what you're thinking. why have i got pictures of
1:04 am
hitler on my phone? [ laughter ] there's a story behind this actually. i have got a picture of hitler on my phone as a baby cause i did a tweet once on who is the cutest, and it was hitler, all right. >> seth: uh-huh. >> versus oh, where is he? where is he? [ light laughter ] anything could pop up on this phone. [ laughter ] right? oh, yeah. as me right? so, i said -- i did who is the cutest? >> seth: yeah. >> and i won, but only just. [ laughter ] right. it's another thing about having pictures of hitler on your phone, right. i've got an iwatch. >> seth: yeah. >> and sometimes the screen it just throws up random photos on your phone. [ laughter ] >> seth: uh-huh. >> so, i could be in a meeting, and just baby hitler pops up on the phone, and i can see it. is that your kid? no. it's -- [ laughter ] no. it's -- it's, umm, it's -- it's hitler! >> seth: thank you so much for being here. it's always such a pleasure to see you. >> oh thank you. >> seth: congrats on the special. [ cheers and applause ] ricky gervais, everybody!
1:05 am
"humanity" is streaming on netflix. we'll be right back with lena waithe! ♪ [ cheers and applause ]
1:06 am
♪ ♪ carefully made to be broken. new, from magnum. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ with t-mobile, get the fastest network ever, now on the fasters samsung ever. because fast should be fast. ♪ right now at t-mobile get the new samsung galaxy s9 for half off. ♪
1:07 am
no one burns heon my watch! try alka seltzer... ultra strength heartburn relief chews. with more acid-fighting power than tums chewy bites. mmmmm...amazing. i have heartburn. heartburn relief from alka-seltzer. enjoy the relief. whilnothing comparesnary modeto the real thing.d... experience the command performance sales event for yourself, now through april 2. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. powerful skincare,s now light-as-air a breakthrough moisturizer delightfully whipped for instant absorption
1:08 am
feel a light-as-air finish in a flash new olay whips ageless ♪ ♪ (vo) you can pass down a subaru forester. but you get to keep the memories. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. (avo) get 0% apr financing on all new 2018 subaru forester models. now through april 2nd.
1:09 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] our next guest is an actress and emmy award-winning writer. the season finale of her show, "the chi," airs sunday night on showtime. she also stars in the highly anticipated steven spielberg film "ready player one," which is in theaters and imax on march 29th. let's take a look. ♪ [ crashing ] >> h, what the hell is going on? [ indiscernible ] >> just practicing my mario kart. what do you think? i don't know why they're trying to kill us, man! >> oh! >> please welcome to the show, lena waithe, everyone! [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:10 am
♪ >> welcome to the show, lena. >> thanks for having me, man. >> i have so much to talk to you about. your show, your movie. but i also want to congratulate you. you got engaged. >> i did. >> seth: congratulations. >> thank you. [ cheers and applause ] i popped the question man. >> seth: you popped the question. thanksgiving? is that right? >> i did on thanksgiving. >> seth: gotcha. >> it was kind of cheesy but -- >> seth: i think that's all right. >> it has special place in my heart, that holiday now. >> seth: i believe it. yeah. so you bought a ring and everything? >> bought a ring. >> seth: did you get a ring back? >> no. because that's the weird thing, you know, lesbian couples -- you got the masculine, you got the feminine. it's like, "i don't want like a ring, that's like a little too feminine." so they give me some sneakers. >> seth: oh, okay. [ light laughter ] >> so she got me some. we were in tokyo and she got me some sneakers that you can only get in tokyo. so, i can literally be like, "y'all ain't got these, man." [ laughter ] you know, you gotta go to tokyo to get these. >> seth: that's great. you mentioned that you have a connection with thanksgiving forever now. you wrote -- won an emmy for an episode of "master of none." you wrote, which is like your
1:11 am
personal story of coming out. >> yeah, which is not fun for people, period. >> seth: the coming out story? >> coming out is not fun, ever. but when you're far away from it, which you've done it, then you can make jokes and have fun and call angela bassett to come play a sweet version of your mother. [ laughter ] you know, and have kim whitley play a nice aunty. you know, it's cool. but like, during the time, it's like horrifying. it's like the worst. >> seth: and was it something that you -- how did it come about that it became an episode of the show? >> well, honestly, like, alan yang, who is co-creator of "master of none," just asked me. he's like, "how did you come out?" and i literally did a one woman show of the episode that you guys now know is thanksgiving, and they were like, "that's an episode, that's an episode of "master of none." i was like, "really? i don't think it's that interesting." but they were like, "no, you got to write it." "you going to get it done." and i was like, "i got too much to do, man." i got to do the spielberg movie. i'm still trying to get "the chi" greenlit. and aziz was just like, "look, i can't write that by myself." that's a bad aziz impersonation. i don't want to do him dirty. and go up a couple -- [ laughter ]
1:12 am
but, he was like, "y'all can't write this by myself." he's like, "this is like your story. i need you to help me tell it." i'm so grateful that he made me do it because it changed my life. >> seth: it was great. it was a fantastic episode of television. >> thanks so much. >> seth: congratulations. >> thank you. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so you -- how -- because you then had to write it in london while you were working on "ready player one." how was your -- steven spielberg? what's that like to be around steven spielberg? >> well, steven spielberg is the jewish father you didn't know you needed. >> seth: yeah, okay. >> and he's amazing. like, i always say he's a giant that doesn't make people feel small. >> seth: ah-ha. that's a great way of putting it, yeah. >> he's so cool. he let's you play, he let's you do your thing. and even when it's your fault when you mess up a take, he don't make you think it's your fault. he's like, "that's my bad, camera guy, bad camera guy!" "you messed up!" [ laughter ] he's like, "now we got to do it again." okay, lena, i apologize. he's so great. like he just always makes you feel right at home on the set. >> seth: i know it just premiered at sxsw. i know people loved it, great
1:13 am
response. for those who don't know, what is the premise of the movie? because i heard it's described as sort of a nerdgasm for all the pop culture references in this film. >> yes, that's a fair assessment. but it's also about, like imagine social media times like 200. so it's like, you can literally go to another planet and be with your avatar picture. if you want to think you're tupac, you can go be tupac. you know what i'm saying. highlight -- it's really its own universe and it's called the oasis. and people get to be whoever they want in the oasis. but what happens is there's this evil guy played by ben mendelsohn who wants to charge people to come to the oasis. and the cool thing about ty's character and my character, olivia's character, we want the oasis free and cool and a place people can chill. but it's also about being too caught up in escapism. which i think to me is a great metaphor. because you know, a lot of us are on social media more than we are involved in our lives. and that to me is the root of it. it's all about -- escapism is cool but we got to appreciate real life, which is really nice. >> seth: and this is a film, obviously, huge special effects. >> oh, yeah. >> seth: a lot of fantastic elements. you're also doing your show, "the chi" which is very grounded and sort of a beautiful show
1:14 am
about chicago and a kind of chicago that we haven't seen depicted on television that much. what was the thrust behind you wanting to do that show? >> well, i just feel like people were seeing black folks as just like people coming out the womb with a gun in one hand and a pile of cocaine in the other. that's some people i don't know, but not me. and not everybody in chicago. and i really wanted to humanize us and just show the community that the city has. because that's what i grew up feeling on the south side of chicago. i really felt like i was a part of a village. and people looked out for me that weren't even related to me and my grandmother had neighborhood watch meetings. they sort of policed themselves. it was all those great things and i feel like that still exists today. and i wanted a little bit of that to come out with the show. now we still have, you know, some reality that we deal with on the show. but we really just show black folks just being and living. and i think it's a bit of a revolutionary act right now. but we're happy to do it. and the season finale is this sunday, and if you don't have showtime, go to your cousin's house and watch it because it's good. [ laughter ] >> seth: i know you have -- [ laughter ] don't steal.
1:15 am
>> seth: don't steal. you have an issue -- i was born in evanston. i have chicago roots as well. >> yes, you do. >> seth: but you have very strong feelings about new york pizza versus chicago pizza. >> this is true. i don't know why y'all call it pizza. it's actually cheese bread, which y'all are doing. what we like to do is have layers. >> seth: yeah. >> you know, it's baked, you know what i mean? like you need a fork and a knife to get into it. you can't eat it standing on the corner. you would never want to buy a slice of it. >> seth: no. >> you know i don't know why one person would want one slice of pizza, that's very strange to me. >> seth: you couldn't eat it on the street because it's so heavy -- >> no, you can't eat it on the street. why would you want to eat pizza on the street? i'm like so confused by that, it's like, "what?" you got to sit down and there needs to be a plate involved. you know, and not a paper plate either. if you get a paper plate, it's going to fall. it's too heavy. this is a hearty pizza. so when i came here, i was like, "i don't know what this is." a snack for a fourth grader. [ laughter ] but i don't. this is not what i would call pizza, but y'all can do what you want. >> seth: you, obviously, talk
1:16 am
about your different projects, and, of course, "master of none," as well, very different. and i've heard you say that you do want to explore different versions of yourself in your art. and you want to be a kanye. you want to be like kanye. someone else obviously with deep chicago roots. >> exactly. and i think you know you want to say you want to be kanye, that can go a couple of different ways. >> seth: sure. >> you definitely need to follow up and explain what you mean. >> here's what i'll say, here's the dope thing about kanye. every album you didn't know what kanye you were going to get. >> seth: yeah. >> it was always different, it was always fresh, but it was always dope. you couldn't not talk about it. so for me, it's like everything from "master of none," "the chi," "ready player one." i have to keep people guessing. and, i think, sometimes people want to put you in a box. and i'm like, "no, not this kid." i'm going to keep messing with your mind. next thing, i might do a scorsese movie. i might be his a.d. [ laughter ] i don't know. >> seth: i don't know. he doesn't know, but i'm certainly looking forward to finding out what the answer is. hey, thank you so much for being here. congratulations on everything. >> thank you. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: great to meet you. lena waithe, everybody! "ready player one" is in theaters and imax march 29th, and the season finale of "the
1:17 am
chi" airs sunday on showtime. we'll be right back with luke mitchell. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ at&t gives you more for your thing. your getting serious thing. that moving out of the friend zone, moving in together and getting two of everything thing. those fur babies preparing you for real babies thing. that one for me, one for you, us together for the rest of forever thing. buy one iphone 8, get one iphone 8 on us. plus, get at&t unlimited for $40 per line for 4 lines. more for your thing. that's our thing. whbecause...shalls? their prices will thrill you. woo hoo! the brands will surprise you. and every trip feels like an instant victory. marshalls. never boring. always surprising.
1:18 am
time this weekend at kohl'sr? take an extra 15% off or an extra 20% off - when you spend $100 or more! update your cookware! new towels - just $10.19! and an air fryer - only $103.99 plus get kohl's cash! a spring refresh for your home - kohl's cash for you! kohl's! ♪ next chapter ♪
1:19 am
you are many different things, in one amazing package. and t.j.maxx lets you express every one. with our unique mix of must-have brands at must-buy prices, you'll always save on something for every you. maxx you. maxx life. t.j.maxx. try the deoderant saving millions of clothes. degree ultraclear black + white. no yellow stains on white clothes. no white marks on black clothes. try degree ultraclear black + white. it won't let you down. whbecause...shalls? their prices will thrill you. woo hoo! the brands will surprise you. and every trip feels like an instant victory. marshalls. never boring. always surprising. pssst. what? i switched to geico and got more. more savings on car insurance? a-ha. and an award-winning mobile app.
1:20 am
that is more. oh, there's more. mobile id cards, emergency roadside service... more technology. i can even add a new driver... ...right from her phone! geico. expect great savings and a whole lot more. thebecause we're gonnary aboucome for them.s. let's finish this. ♪ rated pg-13.
1:21 am
1:22 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: our next guest stars as roman in nbc's hit show "blindspot," now in its third season. new episodes air on fridays at 8:00 p.m. let's take look. >> roman. >> let the games begin. good luck, jane doe. ♪ ♪ >> jane! ♪ >> please welcome to the show, luke mitchell, everyone! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ ♪
1:23 am
>> seth: welcome to the show. thank you for being here. >> thank you for having me. >> seth: we met backstage. you seem to be a lovely guy. you play a bad man on the show. you shoved that poor old man right off his boat. >> i know, i know. i'm doing a couple of naughty things this year. that's the worst of it, though. >> seth: that's the worst of it. how many times did you have to push the guy into the lake? >> i think i only did it once or twice. he was the italian stunt coordinator. >> seth: oh, wow. >> i think he'd been pushed once or twice before. >> seth: yeah, he was very good. he was very -- and you actually, obviously because of the role, you have to do a lot of stunts on the show. >> oh, yeah. >> seth: and you are one of those actors who fully got hurt doing a stunt on the show. >> i did. i fully got hurt. >> seth: what happened here? this is you in the hospital. this is real life. what happened? >> um, i was in a knife fight with my sister, as you do. >> seth: yeah. >> and there was one particular move where i'm holding the knife
1:24 am
backhanded and she's up against the wall, and i go to stab her and naturally, she ducks out of the way. and then, the knife hits the wall. but on this one particular take, i did a little too hard and my hand slipped onto the blade. it was a blunt blade but i did it with such force that i severed the tendon in my pinky finger. >> seth: and then as punishment, they made you wear that hair net. [ laughter ] >> no, that was my choice. >> seth: that was your choice. you had that in your pocket? >> yeah, exactly. >> seth: but you also have been on the other side of it. you have hurt, as well as been hurt. >> i have. >> seth: what did you do? >> i have. i really broke a guy's nose. early on in the show. >> seth: so how early into it was it? >> it was my second episode. >> seth: okay. [ laughter ] >> yeah. it was the middle of summer in new york and it was really hot. we had done the fight scene like 20 times. and, for some reason, i guess we
1:25 am
were a little fatigued. iwas a little closer to him or he was a little closer to me. i'll take the blame. i threw my elbow and made severe contact and knew immediately that i had hit him full force. and i said "fire truck." he hit the ground and also said "fire truck." and then the blood started pouring out. >> seth: oh my god. is that the take they used? do you know? >> yes, it was. >> seth: yeah, i believe it, yeah. did you do anything to say you're sorry? how do you make it up to a stunt guy when you break his actual nose? >> i really don't know. i think i apologized to him about 17 times throughout the course of the day as i was bumping into him and he was making calls about his broken nose. i don't know how you efficiently/effectively apologize for that. but i bought him some beers. >> seth: that's nice. i do want to point out the one thing similar in these stories is when that guy got hurt, it was your fault, and when you got hurt, it was your fault. >> shh! [ laughter ] >> seth: so you were not always
1:26 am
on an acting track. you were a tennis player. a very good tennis player? >> well, i like to think that i was a very good tennis player but, you know, i'm an actor now so. >> seth: but you have a brother who is still a worldwide-ranked tennis player? >> i do. i do. he's very, very good. >> seth: and he's younger? >> he is younger. he's my youngest brother. >> seth: and so, has he ever beaten you? >> he has not. >> seth: okay, but he's worldwide ranked. so how does that work? >> i mean, i just don't play him anymore. [ laughter ] the last time we played, i think he was 10 years old and i was 18. but fact's a facts. >> seth: and you just hung it up. you saw enough happening. >> yeah, yeah. >> seth: this is good, he's catching up fast. >> every time i go home, he's like, "hey luke, let's go have a game." i'm like, "no." >> seth: undefeated. i'm going to keep my championship belt. you and your wife live in brooklyn. >> we do. >> seth: you have a dog. >> we do. >> seth: i'm very impressed with your dog's name. i've heard it, but i want to hear it from you to verify that
1:27 am
it's true. >> well, he is a cockapoo, so we called him alfie, short for alford hitch-cockapoo mitchell. [ laughter ] >> seth: hard to believe that hasn't been taken. [ laughter ] and there's something very suspenseful about -- true to his name about he chases prey. >> we buy him lots of fluffy toys. and naturally, when we go to the park and he sees a real life fluffy toy, aka, a squirrel, he needs to hunt the squirrel. but he has a very particular technique. most dogs when you let them off the leash, they'll just run straight after the squirrel. but alfie will stalk the squirrel like he is a panther or a tiger or something. and he'll never catch it. he'll stalk it and stalk it and stalk it. and the squirrel is just there watching him going. "i can see you." [ laughter ] and then the squirrel will just run up the tree and he'll sometimes just pause for a
1:28 am
moment and then act casual like i wasn't trying to catch a squirrel anyway. [ light laughter ] or he'll kind of look back over his shoulder at me like that was your fault, dad. [ laughter ] >> seth: i was tracking him right to you, dad. you let him get up the tree. >> exactly. because naturally, i'm filming him. >> seth: right, of course. well, hey man, thank you so much for being here. congrats on the show. really a pleasure meeting you. >> thank you very much, man. nice to meet you. >> seth: luke mitchell, everybody! "blindspot" airs friday nights at 8:00 p.m. right here on nbc. we'll be right back! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ ♪ (vo) do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at close of day; rage, rage against the dying of the light.
1:29 am
do not go gentle into that good night. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ whilnothing comparested modeto the real thing.d... experience the command performance sales event for yourself, now through april 2. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. hnew litter?lled this no. nobody has! it's unscented!
1:30 am
(vo) new tidy cats free & clean unscented. powerful odor control with activated charcoal. free of dyes. free of fragrances. tidy cats free & clean. when no scents makes sense. i like yours too.hair. can i have some? it's not cool to ask that. thanks, captain obvious. online dating isn't always rewarding. but hotels.com is. instant savings now, free nights later. hotels.com poallergies?reather. stuffy nose? can't sleep? take that. a breathe right nasal strip instantly opens your nose up to 38% more than allergy medicine alone. shut your mouth and say goodnight, mouthbreathers. breathe right. try to read me like a book. but i leave em all shook. because you can't judge a book by its cover.
1:31 am
this campaign and this project is all about us not wanting to be boxed in. to let people know that you cant just place labels without learning who they are as a person first. ♪ carefully made to be broken. new, from magnum.
1:32 am
race in to old navy! right now get up to fifty percent off the entire store. plus, get women's dresses from twelve dollars and girls' dresses from eight dollars, at old navy. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
1:33 am
1:34 am
♪ >> for more "late night" go to latenightseth.com. follow us on instagram and twitter @latenightseth, and be sure to check us out on youtube, and facebook. head over to itunes to subscribe to the "late night with seth meyers" podcast. you'll get "a closer look," and more downloaded right to your phone. ♪
1:35 am
we need to be ready for whatever weather may come our way. my name's scott strenfel and i'm a meteorologist at pg&e. we make sure that our crews as well as our customers are prepared to how weather may impact their energy.
1:36 am
so every single day we're monitoring the weather, and when storm events arise our forecast get crews out ahead of the storm to minimize any outages. during storm season we want our customers to be ready and stay safe. learn how you can be prepared at pge.com/beprepared. together, we're building a better california. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to ricky gervais, lena waithe, luke mitchell everybody. brendan canty and of course the 8g band. stay tuned for "carson daly." we'll see you tomorrow. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:37 am
♪ >> carson: good evening, and welcome to "last call", with me, carson daly. we're here at the cutting room teeing up a killer show for you. in the spotlight, we're going to introduce you to "blue planet

132 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on