Skip to main content

tv   Face the Nation  CBS  February 4, 2019 2:55am-4:00am PST

2:55 am
captioning sponsored by cbs >> it's super bowl sunday, february 3. i'm margaret brennan and this is the site of super bowlçó liii. as the country turns itsçó attention to an annual american tradition,çó we'll çókickoff su bowl sunday with an interview withñi presidentñiçó trump. we talked about ongoing negotiations win congress over funding his wall and last month'sw3 shutdown.ñi youçó had quite the showdown ñ] speakerñiçózg7ñimv6se rigid. >> the president's split with his own intelligence team on withdrawing from syria and afghanistan. you could in that vacuum see a resurgence of isis. >> we'll come back if we have to. >> and of course, football. would you let your son baron
quote
2:56 am
play football? >> that's a tough question. it's a good question. if he wanted to yes. would i steer him that way? no i wouldn't. >> then on to the game, we'll have pre-game analysis from our own james brown and talk with some of the best sports reporters in the business. it's all ahead this super sunday on "face the nation." good morning and welcome to "face the nation." we're in the nfl experience complex at the site of super bowl liii. the presidential interview is tradition and we sat down with president trump in the blue room in the white house on friday. would you shutdown the government again? >> we'll have to see what
Check
2:57 am
happens on february 15th. >> you're not taking it off the table? >> i don't like to take things off the table. it's the alternative. it's a national emergency. it's other things and you know there's been plenty of national emergencies called. this really is an invasion of our country by human traffickers. these are horrible people bring inning women, mostly, but bringing in women and children into our country. human trafficking and we'll have a strong border and you need a physical barrier you, need a wall. anybody that says you don't are playing games. >> you had quite the showdown with speaker pelosi. what did you learn about negotiating with her? >> ñiñrwell,çó i thinkñihá$a) s very rigid, which i would expect but i think she's very bad for our country. she knows you need a barrier. she knows we need border security. she wanted to win a political point. i happen to think it'sçóçbadçó
2:58 am
politicsçó because basically sh wants open border and doesn't mindçó humançó trafficking orçó wouldn't doçóçóçó this. >>çóñiçóñiñiçóñ billioó dollars for border security. she doesn't want theçóñrñrçó wíe >>ñiçóçóñr5ñ drugs pouring in and people dying all over the country because of people like nancy pelosi who don't want to give proper border security for political reasons, she's doing a terrible disservice to our country. and on the 15th we have set the table beautifully and people who didn't have any idea as to what wasçó happening now know exactl what's happening. they seeçó human traffic. they seeñ criminals pouring in. now,ñ doing a great job but if weçó h proper jo wouldn'tñiw6$p'qñii]iñ toñ'i."/.
2:59 am
the people of our country. >> you still have to deal with her though. >> she can keep playing her games but we will win because we have a better issue. on a political basis what she's doing is -- i actually think it's bad politics but more importantly it's bad for our country. >> i want to ask you about your intelligence leaders who were testifying on capitol hill this week, did you read the report they presented? >> i did. >> and there was some conversation you had because you went on twitter and called them naive and told them to go back to school. what specifically was wrong about what they said? >> let me just say, it wasn't so much the reporter but the questions and answers as the report was submitted and there were questions and answers. we've done an incredible job with syria. when i took over it was infested with isis and all over the place and now you have little isis and the caliphate almost knocked out.
3:00 am
we'll be announcing in the not too distant future 100% of the caliphate and the land and area we're at 99% right now and we'll be at 100%. when i took it over it was a disaster. i think we've done a great job with that. at the same time we want to bring our people back home. if you look at afghanistan we'll be going in our 19th year spending $50 billion a year. if you look at my campaign speech or rallies, i talked about it all the time. >> you did. you've been talking about it. but that's one of the questionsi here, is because you have these strongly held convictions and people, well, why don't the facts influence those opinions those facts change and your director of national intelligence said isis still has strongholds in iraq and syriaçó and will launch attacks from there. >> we'll alwaysçó have pockets s something. you'll have peopleçó like the one-armed man who blew up aokçó
3:01 am
restaurant. you're going to have pockets. but you're not going to keepñi armies there because you have a fewñiñr peopleçóñiñiw3 for four months and we've been there years. we've been in afghanistan 19 years. by the way, i've been hitting hard in afghanistan and now we're negotiating with the taliban. >> can you trust the taliban. can you broker a deal? >> look, whether we should have been there in the first place is the first question. second question, we've been there 19 years we fighting very well and fighting harder than ever before and i think that they're tired and i think everybody's tired. we want to get out of these endless wars and bring our folks back home. now, that doesn't mean we're not going to be watching with intelligence. we'll be watching closely. >> isn't it harder when you don't have troops on the ground? >> well, everything's hard but
3:02 am
you pay a big price for troops on the ground we're spending hundreds of millions on the military around the world. >> you could in that vacuum see a resurgence of isis and terror groups like al-qaeda. >> we have fast airplanes and good cargo planes. we could come back quickly and we have a base in iraq and the base is a fantastic edifice. i was there recently and a couldn't believe the money spent on these massive runways and these -- i've rarely seen anything like it and it's there and we'll there be and frankly, we're hitting the caliphate from iraq and as we slowly withdraw from syria. >> how many troops are still in syria? >> 2,000 troops. >> when are they coming home? >> they're starting to as we gain the remainder of theñr caliphate of the area,çó they'l
3:03 am
be going to our base in iraq ank home but we'rmi goingçóo/ there. >> it'sñi[o?rñiñiñbrçóñ >> we have toñiçó protebvçóñiç in a matter of time. look, we're protecting the world. we're spending more money than anybody's ever spent on history by a lot. we spent over the last five years close to $50 billion a year in afghanistan. that's more than most countries spend for everything including education, medical and everything else. >> is there a scenario where you'd keep troops in afghanistan? a smaller number? >> yes, and i'll leave intelligence there, real intelligence, by the way. i'll leave intelligence there and if i see nests forming i'll do something about it but for us to spend $51 billion like last year or if you average the cost you're talking about numbers nobody's ever heard of before.
3:04 am
>> the senate republicans the vast majority said they don't support what you're doing. that what you're doing risks national intelligence from withdrawal from iron and syria. doesn't that concern you? >> i ran against 17 republicans. this was a big part whatever i was saying and a won very easily. i think the people out in the world, the people in our country agree. we've been fighting for 19 years. somebody said you're precipitously -- we've been there 19 years. i want to fight and win and bring our great troops back home. i've seen the people. i go to walter reed hospital. i see what happens to people. i see them with no legs and arms and i've seen also what happens to them up here because they're in this situation and they come back and they're totally different people. the wives and fathers and mothers say, what has happened to my son? what has happened in some cases to my daughter. it's a terrible thing.
3:05 am
we've been there close to 19 years and it's time. we'll see what happens with the taliban. they want peace. they're tired. everybody's tired. we'd like to have -- i don't like endless wars. this war what we're doing has to stop at some point. >> you also campaigned saying president obama made a big mistake by telegraphing his military moves. you're telegraphingñiokçaçó,rmy. >> no, there's a difference. when president obama pulled out of iraq in theory we had iraq. we never had syria because president obama never wanted to violate the red line in the sand. so we never had syria. i was the one that actually violate the red line when i hit syria with 59 tomahawkçó missilo if you remember. presidentçó obama chose not to that. when heñi chose not to doñi tha showed tremendousçó weakness. vcó didn't haveñer syria whereñ5
3:06 am
iraq, being in iraq was a mistake. one of the greatest mistakes going into the middle east our country's ever made. one of the greatest mistakes we ever made. we spent a fortunate on building this incredible base. we might as well keep it and one reason is because i want to be looking a little bit at iran because iran say real problem. >> whoa, that's news. you're keeping troops in iraq because you want to be able to strike in iran? >> no, i want to be able to watch iran. i just want to be able to watch. we have an unbelievable and expensive military base built in iraq. it's perfectly situated for looking at all over different parts of the troubled middle east. rather than pulling up and this is what a lot of people don't understand, we're going to keep watching and we're going to keep seeing and if there's trouble, if somebody's looking to do nuclear weapons or otherñi thin, we'll know it before the do. >> so you'll trust the
3:07 am
intelligence you receive? >> i am going to trust the intelligence i'm putting there. i will say this, myçóçóçó polit --o3kó intelliuelce peopleçóç ÷m will disagree. when you talk about torture and other things it's a vicious country and maybe they'll come back. the country -- when i ended the horrible iran nuclear deal a terrible deal, when i ended that deal, margaret, all of a sudden iran became a different country right now they're a country in big financial trouble. let's see what happens. >> i want to move on here but your intel chiefs do say iran's abiding by that nuclear deal. i know you think it's a bad deal. >> it doesn't mean i have to agree.
3:08 am
president bush had intel people that said saddam hussein in iraq had nuclear weapons, had all sorts of weapons of mass destruction. guess what, those intel people didn't know what the hell they were doing and got us tied up in a war we should have never been in and we spent $7 trillion in the middle east. >> do you talk to your national security adviser john bolton because he worked in the bush administration. >> i doñr and i reseht john and he's not one of the peopleçó th happened to be testifying on that. and i tell people, youñi can testify anyway you want, i'mçó t going toñiñi stopñi them from testifxkng.êi but i want them to have their own opinion and i want them to give me their opinion. i look at iron as a nation that -- iran as a nation that has caused tremendous problems. when i came as president of the
3:09 am
united states, my first year i went to the pentagon two weeks after i game here, a short time after, and i wanted to know what was going with iran and we were in many locations in the middle east in huge difficulty. every single one of them was caused by the number one terrorist nation in the world which is iran. so when my intelligence people tell me how wonderful iran is i'll go by my own counsel. >> you've had a lot of changeup in your administration. have you satisfied with your cabinet? >> i think we have a great cabinet. i think bill marr will be a fantastic attorney general and mike pompeo has done a fantastic job. >> he's not leaving? >> he tells me he didn't want to leave. >> mcconnel said he was thinking
3:10 am
of rung for the senate. -- running for the senate. >> i think he's not leaving. i don't think he'd do that and he doesn't want to be a lame duck and he'sñi doingñr a fanta3 job as our secretary of state. great energy and a great, smart. >> do you have an acting ag untilou barr confirmed and alleging defense secretary acting chief of staff and acting interior secretary. >> it's easier to make room in there. >> so you are going to shake up. >> i'm doing a fantastic job, really. i like aging. i can move so quickly, more flexibility. but actually, some of the names you mentioned are doing a fantastic job. >> how do you know when to fur someone. >> -- to fur one. >> when it's -- fire someone. >> when it's not happen . like general mattis, i wasn't happy with his service.
quote
3:11 am
i said give him a letter. >> he resigned. >> he resigned because i asked him to resign. he resigned because i asked him to do it. he had budgets and he has to understand wasn't happen what was 457ing in afghanistan. if you look what's happened in syria in the last few weeks, you would see that things are going down that were not going down that things are happening that are very good. so i was not happy with him but i wish him well. >> we asked house speaker nancy pelosi's office for a response of the president's sharp criticism of her. a speaksman told us quote a president's wild and predictable misrepresentations about democrats commitment to border security do nothing to make our country safer. when we come back, president trump on football.
3:12 am
♪ ignition sequence starts. 10... 9... guidance is internal. 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... ♪
3:13 am
>> in the past president trump has had some tough criticism for the nfl but this year he's got a somewhat different tone. here's more about conversation. >> i want to ask you about your relationship with nfl commissioner roger goodell. have you put your differences aside. >> i think so. i was just one that felt very important you can't be kneeling for the national anthem. i have to respect our flag and down tree. i want that as president and i want that as citizen. i have a very good relationship. i did them a big favor negotiating the umca which is basically the replacement to nafta which is one of the worst trade deals ever made. i said to canada look we have a great american company known as the nfl and they were being hurt and treated unfairly, the nfl by canada for a long time. i said to prime minister trudeau who was very nice about it and really understood it, i hope you can settle the difference immediately and fast and they did. i did the nfl a favor as a great
3:14 am
american company and they appreciated it and rager goodell is a dispute that's been being on for years. roger goodell called me and thanked me. i appreciate that. they haven't been kneeling and they've been respecting the flag and their ratings have been trif ever since. a lot of good things happen. >> talking about the kneeling position you've taken and the controversy around it. do you think that the players who did neal had a point. are you senseitive at all to players like collin kaepernick that the majority of police violence are black. >> i'm the one that had passed judicial reform. if you look at what i did, criminal judicial reform and what i've done, president obama tried, they all tried, everybody want to do it and i got it done. and i've been, really a lot of people in the nfl have been calling me and thanking me for me. >> really. >> they have been calling and
3:15 am
thanking. you know people have been trying to get that taken care of and it's now signed into law and affects tremendous numbers of people and very good people. i think when you want to protest i think that's great but i don't think you do it at the sake of our flag, at the sake of our national anthem, absolutely. >> but you are, do i understand you're saying though that you are still are sensitive, though, you understand the motivation for the protests. >> i do. a lot of it is having to do with reform, from what i understand. whether it's criminal justice or whatever it may be. and they have different investigators and everybody seemed to have a different -- version and everybody seemed to have a different version of it. i took care of that. people have to at all times respect our flag and at all times respect our national anthem and our country. and i think this plenty of places and times you can protest and you can to a lot. but you can't do that. that's my opinion. >> cbs poll we just took, 63% of
3:16 am
americans say they disapprove about how you're handling issues of race. >> well i think what has happened is very interesting. the economy is so good right now, you saw the jobs report just came out, 304,000 added jobs which is a shocker for the month. a shocker to a lot of people. they said it was going to be half that number. the african americans have the best employment numbers in the history of our country. his pawnic americans have the best employment numbers in the history of our country. asian americans, the best in the history of our country. you look at women, the best in 61 years and our employment numbers are fa numb until, the no phenomenal the best in over 50 years. i've been given a lot of credit over that. in terms of race people are saying is having very species that's happening.
3:17 am
>> republican senator tim scott he said donald trump is not racist but he says you're racially ion sensitive. >> i have a great relationship with tim and certainly with his state, south carolina and where we do very well. i think if you look at the numbers for african american unemployment, best numbers they've had literally the best numbers they've had in history. and i think they like me a lot and i look them a lot use into you let your son baron play football. >> it's very, very tough question, very good question. if he want to, yes. would i steer him that way, no i wouldn't. >> why. >> i wouldn't. he actuall actual plays a lot o. a lot of people think soccer will never make it in this country but it really is moving forward rapidly. i just don't like the reports i see coming out having to do with football. it's a dangerous sport. i think it's, it's really tough.
3:18 am
i thought the equipment will get better and it has. the helmets have gotten far better but it hasn't solved the problem. so you know i hate to say it because i love to watch football. i think the nfl is a great product but i really think that as far as, well i've heard nfl players say they wouldn't their sons play football so it's not totally unique. but i would have a hard time with it. >> there will be more about conversation with the president about football at 3:30 earn, 12:30 specific as we get closer to kick off. we'll get the president's spots on north korea, the russian investigation and china in our next half hour.
3:19 am
that's cleaner and better.
3:20 am
3:21 am
not super bowl related, we hope you'll join us tuesday night for our cbs news coverage of the president's annual state of the union address. that's at 9:00 p.m. eastern. here on cbs. we'll be back with more from atlanta. >> we'll be right back with a
3:22 am
3:23 am
lot more face the nation including president trump on north korea, china and the russia investigation, plus our own james brown and a panel of sports reporters looking ahead to tonight's big super bowl. stay with us.
3:24 am
3:25 am
>> welcome back to face the nation from the sight of super bowl 53 here in atlanta. we continue our conversation with president trouble which took place friday just before he was wheels up for his home in palm beach, florida. what surprised you about some of questions that robert mueller asked you. >> well look the russia thing is a hoax. i have been tougher on russian than any president maybe ever but than any president. >> when it comes to the investigation that the special counsel's conducting. 34 people have been charged here. >> are you ready? okay. are you ready? of the 34 people many of them were bloggers from moscow or they were people who had nothing to do with me or had nothing to do with what they were talking about or there were people that got caught telling a fib or telling a lie. it's a terrible thing that happened to this country because
3:26 am
this investition ia witch hunt. it's a terrible witch healt huna terrible disgrace. when the fbi said he wasn't lying and robert mule said he was and they took him in and destroyed his life. when you look at how much things that have happened. why didn't they go after hillary clinton for her e-mail. they had 33,000 e-mails but were deleted after receiving a subpoena from congress. >> they were posted on wiki leaks and roger stone was indicted. >> -- weigh weigh a way way at . some people don't like roger. roger i've always liked. roger is a character. i don't know if you know this or not. roger wasn't on my campaign except way at the beginning. >> right. >> and yet you will ask me a question like that. was he involved in my campaign. >> would you pardon him?
3:27 am
>> it looks like he's defending himself very well but you have to get rid of the russian witch hunt because it is indeed. remember this, remember this. there has been no president that has been tougher on russia than donald trump. >> would you make the mueller report public because you say there's nothing in there anyway though. >> totally up to the -- >> what do you want him to do. >> even the mueller report said it had nothing to do with the campaign. when you look at some of the people and the events coy. >> you wouldn't have a problem -- >> excuse me, excuse me. it's up to the attorney general. i have no idea what he's going to say. so far this has been a total witch hunt and doesn't implicate in any way. there was no collusion, there was no obstruction, there was no nothing, doesn't implicate me in any way but i think it's a disgrace. >> would you send military to -- >> it's an option. >> would you personally negotiate with maduro to get him
3:28 am
to exit. >> he requested a meeting and i've turned him down because we're very far along in the process. you have a young and energy gentleman but you have other people within that statement group that have been very very, if you talk about democracy, it's really democracy in action. we'll see what happens. >> when did you -- >> a couple months ago he want to meet. >> but now -- >> i would say this. i decided at the time no because some really horrible things have been happening in venezuela when you look at that country. that was the wealth just country in that part of the world which is an important part of the world. now you look at the poverty and the anguish and you look at the crime and you look at all of the things happening. so i think the process is playing out very very big. tremendous protests. >> north korea. when and where are you going to be meet kim jung-un. >> i won't tell you yet but you
3:29 am
will be finding out at the state of the union or shortly before. the meeting is set. he's looking forward to it i'm looking forward to it. we made tremendous progress. if you remember before i came president it looked like we were going to war with north korea. now we have a very good relationship, the hass tongues are back -- hostages are back. the remains, our korean war -- >> you testified that kim jung-un is very unlikely to give up his nuclear -- >> that's what the intelligence chief thinks. >> yes he wrong. >> i think there's a good possibility about that too but there's a very good chance we will make a deal. i think he's also tired of going through what he's going through. he has a chance to have north korea be a tremendous economic bow m -- bohemith.
Check
3:30 am
he can't to that with weapons and the path he's on now. i like that we get along great. we have tremendous chemistry. we have tremendous correspondence that some people have seen and can't even believe it they think it's historic and we'll see what happens. now that doesn't mean we'll make a deal but we certainly have a very good chance of making a deal and one of the reasons is because north korea has a chance bag located between russia, china and south korea. what a location. what a location. they have a chance to be an economic power. >> you're going to keep u.s. troops there in south korea. >> yeah. we haven't talked about anything else. maybe some days who knows. it's expensive to keep troops there, you do know that. we have 40,000 troops in south korea. it's very expensive but i have no plans, i never discussed removing them. >> i want to quickly get to china. the last time you spoke to face the nation you were a hundred days into office and you said you would expect a less than
3:31 am
perfect trade deal with china if it meant they would be helpful with north korea. do you stand by that? >> well yes but i think we're in a different position. >> what do you mean. >> we put very massive tariffs on china, china's paying a big price and it hurt their economy for one thing to make a fair deal. they have been very helpful especially at the beginning when i first came in with north korea. they have stopped woods from going in, they have stopped a lot of things from going in through the border. they have a border just like we have a border from mexico. the crime is way up by the way, way up. you have to remember that. they have a border with north korea. they have been very village length. are they the same? probably less so but north korea is absolutely talking and i think north korea wants to make a deal. we are making a deal, it looks like doing very well we're making a deal with china. no two leaders of this country and china have ever been closer than i am with president xi.
3:32 am
we have a good chance, i don't know if we're going to make one but it's a good chance. if it's a deal it's going to be a real deal it's not going to be a stop gap. >> sir i hear your helicopters, i'm being told to wrap. i appreciate you being gin russ with your time -- generous with >> dr. stanley: remember this: cannot change the laws of god. when he has visited you in some form of adversity and he brings you through that, that's like he has increased the strength of the foundation of your life and your faith in him. [music] narrator: okay, everybody, let's do the numbers.
3:33 am
cache creek casino resort has over 1700 penny machines, and we pay three to two on blackjack. it all adds up to big fun at cache creek casino resort. play here. play the best. prosperity begins with the year of fortune at cache creek with an $8,888 winner every saturday and sunday at 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. plus, on february 17th at 9:00 p.m., someone will win a brand new lexus. it's the year of fortune, only at cache creek. >> we're back with cbs news special correspondent james
3:34 am
brown. he's the host of the nfl today. jb, you're so busy today. it is so good to have you here. >> thank you for having me, margaret. >> this is your ninth pre game tnk a numberh d we teasing before going on camera. when you hear the vurdz, vulnerable, legendary can, translation old. i never put it in context what it meant but i really try to focus on the event at hand. i thoroughly enjoy what i'm doing, it's new and different every time we are blessed at cbs to do that. >> how has the game changed. >> the amount of attention they get. it's the biggest phenomena, one day sporting events. thank you big a hundred million people around the world. you look at the cost of a commercial was in 1967 at $42,000 for a 32 second spot. try five and-a-half million now for a 30 plus spot. at's how it's changed. the coverage has been mprehensive but it's all fun. >> you've got to give us the
3:35 am
take here on this very controversial call. the no call in the saints versus rams game. i can talk politics, you know the amounts of football. explain to the audience about what is going to be done here to resolve this and exactly what happened? >> first of all, it was absolute leannabsolutely an an egregiouso call. the parcel has a right to get the ball without the defender and it was missed. there was some other things they had to read before turning to that play and it happens that quickly. more to the question you're asking, most people are looking for technology because it so perfected now to answer all the questions. that's a slippery slope. that no call was a judgment call and right now the league does not allow replays for judgment calls because although that was egregious, what happens if it's
3:36 am
a minor violation but still a violation. where do you draw the line? i think it's an unanswered kind of situation, one you have to live with and that certainly comes with a number of officials as well. >> this is another controversy for the nfl. you heard president trouble when we spoke with him, he's continued to bring some frankly unwant attention to the nfl, particularly around this controversy of a race over how to handle standing or sitting during the anthem. has the league moved past this. >> i don't know if you can say the league has moved past it because it's not an issue that can be moved past in my humble opinion as a correspondent, as a reporter. people feel compelled to do such because of the systemic issues that are real pathology in their communities. they just want to engage in a meaningful collaborative approach to answering some of these things. on the super bowl pre-game show today we will talk with a very
3:37 am
well versed player. we'll also talk with a league official, senior official and a former ceo amy trasting of the team to talk about what appears to be only significant progress about what's happening behind closed doors in very serious conversations which quite frankly is the way it ought to happen. >> the president weighed in on that and he tried to say it's been moved moist in his dispute with roger goodell but what you're talking about the underlying issues in the first place. >> you know margaret, let me say this again i'm reporting again as a dispassionate source talking about this. the narrative has been that the players are being anti-patriotic, anti-flag, anti-police, anti-military. these are players who have family members who are in the military, who are law enforcement officers and are looking for a meaningful way to create something to create dialogue when has happened. if the narrative has been hijacked to say no matter what it's a non-starter, you're not hearing. the two sides ought to hear each
3:38 am
other to make progress. >> proper point. parents worry about their kids getting injured playing sports. that's another topic for the nfl. how do they address these concerns, concussions. >> it's a very serious issue to say the least. you cannot run from that. it's not playing chess or screbled. it's a tough game. nearly 34% dp in concussions. hopefully it will continue going in that direction. >> how do they do that. >> well, a combination of things. principally officiating. roger goodell probably gets a real bad rap because they call him the sheriff trying to clean up the game. that's a good thing. the players recognize that because when you see they are no longer playing on the field but walking around showing the wounds sustained in their games they need to be protect from themselves. number two, guess who is going to make the decision whether or
3:39 am
not there's a pipeline of the players coming up to play, mothers like you. if the mother deems the game to be unsafe, you're not together to awe how your newborn son to play football. at the lower levels what the coaches are doing they're teaching what's called head's up football and need to start at that level instead of ranking with the crown of your head you have to get your head up and play around. the game can be played tough and physical and not the element in the old style football. st that make sense margaret. >> absolutely. and i think the parents appreciate you explaining that. a lot of the talk is about the old guy versus the young kid. is that the primary narrative that you are interested in? >> it's a major narrative but inside of that narrative is you got a youn a young coach a genin mcveigh. >> genius. >> he's blint but he's got
3:40 am
seasoned like the coaches on the defensive side of the bar. >> i appreciate the were seasoned. i like that. >> i use it for myself as well to margaret. on the other side you got the master chess player in bill belichick check. you got jared golf on the rams and 41 year old tom brady. margaret there's a lot to be said for experience and although these are the two best teams e greadges non-call not with -- egregious non-call, they're screaming at me the fact is the super bowl is a completely different game. let's see who handles the nerves well. you can certainly bet on the rams handling it well. >> thank you very much for your time. we'll be back with a panel of sports reporters.
3:41 am
3:42 am
>> we're joined now by our panel of sports journalists, jarrett bell is an nfl columnist for "u.s.a. today" sports.
3:43 am
dana jobs is host of the cbs this morning saturday and with the sports network and jason gay is a sports columnist at the "wall street journal." i want to start out with a poll that cbs just took on sports fans who would win. on the match up more football fabs want to see the los angeles rams, 47% win versus the patriots, just 27%. jason can we call the patriots the under dog. >> no. bill belichick check is darth vader. this is basically a patriot's entitlement at this point. nine super bowls in the last 18 years. i have a four year old at home. this is her fourth patriots super bowl. of course america is eager for change. >> eager for change. everybody else out of the boston area. >> there are six states up there in the new england area that are very much vigorously rooting for another patriots title. >> we talk about the patriots
3:44 am
being here for the past nine years but it's in a very different path for the nfl. it looks like their ratings have actually been on theo doubt. >> where is that enthusiasm coming from? >> it's interesting because some of the issues that were there last season and we talk about the protests being one of them. actually some of the issues that the nfl has dealt with. a lot of that quieted down this season, and the drama really revolved around officiating. you can look at this season really from the start where they instituted a new helmet rule coming into this season that caused a lot of concern and controversy. the roughing the quarterback penalty. it seems so fitting that in the championsp ga and sitting not like at the nfl but at an officiating call game.
3:45 am
so we'll see if there's any kind of controversy in th super bowl. typically you don't have a lot, you've got some all star cruise and some assistants that work the game so typically you don't have a lot of controversial calls in the super bowl that this season has been really interesting from the nfl from that standpoint. >> catching on it there, that non-call of pass interference according to the poll that we took because people were certainly talking about that and the use instant replay. in general 45% of fans says instant replay should be used more often than it is now, 41% think it's beingrit almost . >> they don't want to slow the game down and make it longer but the call has to be right. ites t jgment call. it's not the fans voting on this, it's the competition committee that have to decide. you have to be awe 4r0ud to say in a judgment call are you going to allow replay, allow a referee
3:46 am
in new york to determine there should have been a flag and we're going to do it. people have talked about this idea maybe coaches get in the final minutes or throughout the game one flag they get to throw on a judgment call because nobody want the moment we've had after this it's the super bowl and we're still talking about should the saints be the ones here instead of the rams. >> no question this off season where there's a lot of conversation about what to do with instant replay. it's actually been there for a number of years. i'm not playing the roll for example you could have called two penalties, judge call and a pass. it was a blatant helmet to helmet hit. so the questions in the nfl are like you're going to institute this rule where you take the head out of the game so we sit there and watch that game in new orleans like we have throughout the season, that's something they really have to address. when they brought the rule in that was one of the swez that the competition -- questions
3:47 am
that the competition committee field the right off the bat. you have this rule with the helmet and institute it and is definite you have a time to get that call right. something going into the off season. bill belichick check the bay trust coach has proposed twice over recent years you can use instant play for any type of call. >> they haven't passed it yet and that's the only thing. don't you feel like because this is now so in the forefront, it's sort of saying look you didn't want to do it before but do you want this to be the outcome. >> yes. i don't know if it's a question about the pace of the game is really going to be the answer to say we can't do it because the nfl has shaved about four minutes in terms of the average pace or the average time of the game over the past four years so they have found ways just in terms how they stir games to actually -- administer games to
3:48 am
actually keep the pace going so maybe you give up something like that for replay. >> jason i want to ask you because we talked about it with the president, the issue and the political heat that came with his attention to how the anthem was handled and linked to the causes players were kneeling around specifically violence, policeiolence. >> sure. >> and when we poll people, the country's really split evenly on whether they want to talk about or not. but most americans think that president trump and the league and the team owners handled this inappropriately. 63% said president trump handled it inappropriately, 6percent -- 66% said the league handled it inappropriately. both would like to move on from this but is it possible to. >> i don't think at all a moot point it's an issue. as long as it'sn't air you'll have continued dialogue or protests before or during the anthem is another question but i think it's dilutional to surgeon
3:49 am
that somehow the president has stepped forward and solved this issue. in fact in terms of the pecker up for the nfl, the ratings and things i would lay it more at the feet at some of the more he can siting games, there were a lot of triffing prime time during the season and you had excellent young talent, hmes who one mvp. this is fun to watch and is different than last year. that's employable mostly the reason this year. >> when we polled people they actually didn't have an upset with athletes having political positions. they were okay. there's room in football for politics but it was how that protest was carried out that really split people. >> one of thing that's interesting is that the nfl tried to institute a policy back last spring saying that okay the th thentete i otheoblenerms of the union pushing back on that and
3:50 am
then as the season got on it was kind of like okay let's table this policy. we're not going to have a policy and oh by the way, organically the nfl's issue quieted down a bit. now this is a big problem because collin kaepernick still doesn't have a job so i think there are a lot of people who understand that and you talk about the split in our country in terms of whether or not they're accepting of that and that's a real huge problem from one level but in terms of the actual protests and whatnot, i think the nfl by backing off on whether or not it would have a lard line policy did itself a favor to let the situation organically unfold. >> the players, a lot of them you talk with, they wanted to move on also from the protests, they want to get to the issues and show people what they are doing for it. we did some stuff with some of the players coalition. they had a press conference here and they were showing these
3:51 am
different organizations they're working with to make real change in their communities. >> we've got to leave it there. thanks to all three of you. this is great to be here in cvs pharmacy. ed gets copays as low as zero dollars on medicare part d prescriptions. ed gets labels clear as day. and, lily.... lily gets anything she wants.
3:52 am
ed knows he could just have us deliver his prescriptions. but what's the fun in that? switch to cvs pharmacy.
3:53 am
we hope you stay with cbs all day through a special late show with stephen colbert. i'm margaret brennan from atlanta. captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org when you humble yourself under the mighty hand of god, in due time he will exalt you. hi, i'm joel osteen. i'm excited about being with you every week. i hope you'll tune in. you'll be inspired, you'll be encouraged. i'm looking forward to seeing you right here. you are fully loaded and
3:54 am
completely equipped for the race that's been designed for you. >> reporter: or in this case way up. steve hartman, on the road in
3:55 am
leavenworth, kansas.
3:56 am
3:57 am
let's say you're in japan and you want someone to show you around. ben tracy bumped into a young tour guide who's m lin slion. >> i0 yearold. >> questions. >> where are you from? why do you want to come to
3:58 am
japan? what is famous in australia? >> reporter: but inside one of japan's most famous gardens. >> can i talk a little about this garden. >> reporter: he also has all the answers. >> corocwithin was made about 300 years ago and right next to the inuata, the -- is a guest house, like a hotel. >> reporter: it's not just his handle on history that's unusual. >> these two buildings were burned down in world war ii. >> reporter: in japan few people speak fluent english, he passed it, passing a fluent exam that most fail. you speak english very well. >> really? >> really well. >> reporter: what's the hardest part? >> i struggled with words i didn't know. >> reporter: like what? >> chrysanthemum.
3:59 am
>> that's a tough one. >> reporter: he started using the disney products when he was six months old. by four he could speak in full sentences. takuto proudly shares the people he's met. and he's made their experience a lot less foreign. >> have a nice trip and please, please come back again. bye. >> reporter: oak yommau, japan. >> that is the "overnight news" for this monday. for others, check back a little later for the morning news and of course cbs this morning. from the broadcast center in new ckba city.
4:00 am
captioning funded by cbs it's monday, february 4th, 2019. this is the "cbs morning news." for the touchdown! [ cheers ] >> sweet victory. the new england patriots super bowl champions again. the historic first from the game. president trump talks only to cbs news on the next possible shutdown and negotiations for a border wall. >> it's a national emergency. it's other things.

156 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on