Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  October 15, 2014 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
>> rose: welcome to the program. tonight, the governor of new york andrew cuomo. >> one day i won't be governor of new york just like one day my father wasn't governor of new york and one day i wasn't secretary of housing and urban development. and that's the real life that i'm calibrated to. i've been given this great opportunity for a short period of time to do good things for the state, and i'm so appreciative of it and i work very hard at it. but, that's not reality. and one day, it will be over and that's okay. >> rose: andrew cuomo for the hour, next much
12:01 am
>> rose: additional funding provided by: >> and by bloomberg. a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> rose: let me begin to talk about the ebola crises. what is new york state doing at the airports and overall in terms of being prepared? >> ebola crises for us, charlie, poses two separate problems. one is the medical public health issue. and the second is the panic anxiety issue that goes along with it. from a medical point of view,
12:02 am
it's a question of having the right protocols in place, making sure the hospitals understand the protocols, making sure the personnel understand the protocols. making sure they have the right equipment and that we're working through. we also have the airports where we work with the federal government on increased screening procedures. for us it's jfk, laguardia airport which are very big airports. jfk is a very large airport and newark runs a very large airport. those procedures are in place and they're very important and we're working very closely. >> rose: they doubled up because of this crises. >> we have put basically more procedures in place. the medical procedures are about protocols, education of the protocol and compliance with the protocol. at the same time the dialogue on
12:03 am
ebola, it's amazing how quickly panic can set in. a little anxiety can be healthy but we have to watch what we say and how we say it because panic is never productive. >> rose: the amazing thing bit is so much seems to be unknown. how did this nurse contract the virus when she had all the protection that health workers are supposed to have. >> right. it's not my field. what they will say is the protocol is only as good as the compliance with the protocol and something like ebola you only get one mistake. you only get one slip-up. and the protocols can be quite detailed. and if you make a mistake you can expose yourself or expose others. it's a very serious business. >> rose: let me talk about this book. all things possible. why that title. >> all things possible because the basic message of the book is don't give up.
12:04 am
don't give up in your personal life. when you hit hard times when you get knocked for a loop which will probably happen somewhere along the way, don't give up. it also applies to where we are as a government, where we are as a society. we have a lot of big problems, a lot of big frustrations. don't give up. all things are possible. you can turn around your own life, you can turn around the course of a state, you can turn around the course of a country. >> rose: let's talk about that because you think about writing a book about loss. >> yes, yes. when i went through i had a blessed youth. my career was doing great, i was in washington. i was one of the youngest cabinet secretaries, i was in the whitehouse, i was flying around on air force one. everything was great. and then -- >> rose: married to a
12:05 am
kennedy. >> yes. one day i woke up and everything was terrible. it was just from a great trajectory of success to abject failure, right. and for me charlie, i can laugh bit now but i basically cried bit then. it was living my nightmare. i came back, living in new york after a great time in washington, and i ran for office same office that my father held with distinction for 12 years and it was a disaster. >> rose: you had to withdraw. >> right. and it was a nightmare scenario. and so much of society we talk about winning, and victory, and we make it sound in all those commencement speeches like it's a straight line you come out of college and you go to graduate school and then victory victory victory. and and that's not what happened. there were very few books on
12:06 am
losing. and how do you handle loss, what do you do with it and what does it mean and how do you manage it. >> rose: yet many politicians have lost in their career. bill clinton, a very successful politician, lost his first time for re-election as governor of arkansas. your father lost the campaign and became three term governor of new york. >> you find very few success stories that didn't have loss in the early chapters. and that's why understanding loss and dealing with it can actually be very helpful. >> rose: what did you understand bit? >> i think it forced me forced'r my priorities in life. and showed me what was really important. >> rose: did you find that people saw in you a manage
12:07 am
different from your own image of yourself. >> yes. >> rose: you come out of a very young age being a political manager where you had to make the hard decisions, you ran your father's campaign and you're the guy who has to say no, you're the guy who has to be tough and it creates a persona so that even people in albany called you the prince of darkness. >> yes. and i talk about it in the bookm that's almost always true somewhat in politics, what people see and the impression people get, is that really me, is it really supposed to be me. in my case it was no doubt that there was a difference between the perception and the reality. but it just made me look in the mirror and really see what was going on. and to try to learn from it. >> rose: when you looked in the mirror, you saw what? >> when i looked in the mirror, first instinct is to find
12:08 am
excuses, right. which is probably helpful, right, when you're under such pain, you can't accept the blame initially. so i'm a victim. it was somebody else, it was the weather, it was this, it was this, it was this. >> rose: you were misunderstood. >> i was misunderstood, i made a mistake, timing. the world was unfair to me. it's amazing how good we are at coming up with creative explanations so it's not about our liability. but if you are self aware enough to get past that denial phase what didn't work. let's figure on it out, let's fix it so it doesn't happen again. that's why success if stories wind up happening if you learn from the loss. first you have to get up off the canvas. >> rose: how did you do that? >> well, it was -- >> rose: you had to land on your head to do it first. >> you know first, it was you
12:09 am
don't bounce out of bed the next morning and say i think you have to go through a process. and you have to understand it's going to be a process. and it's darkest before dawn, i can tell you that for sure. but i think i went at it analytically and i did educate myself and i did talk to people and i did read. and i found that i did a lot of soul searching. i reordered my priorities. >> rose: from what to what? >> well when you're in politics and you're in washington and you're in that buzz and ... >> rose: it's the only world you know. >> it's what you know and you have a lot of friends and everybody wants to be your friend and you get invited to all the right parties, right. and then you lose an election and like a light switch, right. >> rose: it's even humiliation for you during the election because carl mccall was running for the democratic nomination as well and you
12:10 am
thought that the owant to see y. that they were closer to him and they would leave before you had a chance to come over and see them. she was walking with him. to be in the president's cabinet, and a guy who had been a political operative for his father. >> new york politic is a tough business. and it's binary, charlie. >> rose: the fact that the clintons gave you kind of a cold short. >> i understand it. >> rose: i'll bet you didn't understand it at the time. >> i didn't appreciate it at the time. but i understood it. and i understand the political scirksz they operate in. it gave me a reality to deal with that i thoughts was truer to a long term stable reality and i found a lot of comfort frankly in my family.
12:11 am
and my three girls. i thought i was going to spend time with my daughters because i was worried what they may be feeling about going through a divorce so i was going to spend time with them and i was going to help them. they wound up helping me. and in many ways, they were the safe place and spending time with them actually was more beneficial to me i think than it was to them. group of small group of real friends who were friends when you ran over and you lose and that's what's important. so all in all i think it turned out to be a net positive. and i came out the other end a different person. and that's what i wanted to talk about in this book, you know. don't give up and if you do, right, it can be a net positive long term believe it or not even though it doesn't feel that way. >> rose: i want to talk about the different person but let me stay with the divorce for a second. you>> no.
12:12 am
>> rose: you believed you could work it out. you knew you had problem as many marriages have problems. and your press secretary comes in. you learned from your press secretary not your wife that she filed for divorce. >> well, what it says in the, the way it actually happened was my wife was saying she wanted a divorce. i didn't want to hear it. i couldn't hear it, you know. denial is a powerful force and i just literally blotted it out. i was sure that i could fix it. i was always up until that point, i had always been successful in fixing things, and i was going to fix this. and it wouldn't happen. i couldn't even conceive of it happening. it was that terrible. and my wife at the time kept saying i want a divorce but i just couldn't hear it and it became real when a reporter said
12:13 am
i'm reporting on it, it's going to be in the newspaper. >> rose: that she had asked for a divorce. >> yes. and then that moment was undeniable, it was now in the newspaper and it became tabloid fodder. up until that point i was in total denial, i didn't want to hear it. i couldn't accept it, we'll fix it whatever it is. >> rose: you knew what a mall figure was like from your father and his life because he was a politician away from home. away from home[for you. do you repeat that yourself if you're a politician? so you're not there and you're distracted and you're not devoting as much time to home as you probably do now. >> i did repeat it early on. and that was a mistake. when i was in washington, my girls were born while i was in washington. i was in the clinton cabinet, and we were working all the time. i mean, that was the culture of that administration. we did a lot of good things, buq that was a seven day a week
12:14 am
administration. and it's a big country and i was all over the country. i did work too hard, i took too much time from my family. i took too much time from my marriage, and i paid for it. i have not made that mistake a second time around. >> rose: how do you know? >> because i have spent so much time with my daughters that they say please, go to work. please don't you have something to do. you're a governor, can't you please find something to do. and leave us alone. >> rose: and then to find another woman helps you to come to grips with what happened with it as well. >> yes. >> rose: and what's supportive and that there is tomorrow. how are you different beyond that? are you a nicer person? >> i am a different person in that i take this all with a grain of salt now. >> rose: it's not the end all. >> this is not where i live.
12:15 am
it's what i do and what i do now and i take that very seriously. but it will be over one day. one day i won't be governor of new york just like one day my father wasn't governor of new york and one day i wasn't secretary of housing and urban development. and that's the real life that i'm calibrated to. i've been given this great opportunity for a short period of time to do good things for the state and i also appreciative of it. and i work very hard at it. but that's not reality. and one day it will be over and that's okay. that's okay. >> rose: politics. >> but it ends, it ends, charlie. by definition it ends. >> rose: tell us the story of your dad running for a fourth
12:16 am
term against george pataki. he's lying on his bed in his suit and he's written his acceptance speech or thank you speech, and you have to go in and say to him what? >> he went into the room, the hotel suite that night. polls closed at 9:00, and he went into the room at about 10 to to 9:00 with his acceptance speech. he said he wanted to relax and clothes his eyes before he had to go down and give his acceptance speech in the ball room. he walked into the room thinking he had won the race. the exit polls all day said he had won the race. and it turned out after 9:00, polls closed, they rerun the numbers, the model they used on the exit polls was wrong. he's actually going to lose the race by a couple points.
12:17 am
and i had to tell him this. that's why i walked into the room and he was as you said, he was laying on the bed. he was all dressed and he had his eyes closed. he had his handsé< folded on his chest. and he was just not quite dozing but thinking calming himself ready to go down and give the speech. and i just stood there because i didn't know what to say and he owned his -- opened his eyes d looked at me. when he looked at my face right away he knew something was wrong. all i could say was, we're going to need another speech. he didn't say a word. he got up and we started writing a second speech. but it was a shock, it was a shock.
12:18 am
he didn't expect it. frankly he didn't deserve it. so it was a shock. >> rose: i want to read you something that a friend of mine who knows you and state government well said about the two of you. andrew gave multiple smeasms and was a liberal icon for his opposition to the death penalty. andrew lacks his father's vision but is a man of action not words and is much more effective in his capacity to mobilize legislature and get things done. is that a fair difference between you and your father. >> i think the difference is basically we are doing public service at different times. and you do what you need to do at that time for public service. i don't think it's about what you are comfortable doing and what you would prefer, z do orwhat your personal characteristics would have you do. it's you should do the role that is needed at that time.
12:19 am
when my father waspurpose was te people of this state and to some extent the people of the country about the need for government. and the possibility of government. i see my role differently now, i think people get the need and the possibility. i think he was successful and others like him were successful? articulating the need. >> rose: there came a time when president reagan was talking about government is not. >> yes. he was the juxtaposition to trickle down to government is the problem not the solution. what the free market work. the total retrenchment from any collective action. my father was the anecdote to that. and the arctic later of the opposite theory. >> rose: but people believe he's more liberal than you are.
12:20 am
people think you're much more centrist than he is, even though it's a different time. that the things that he believed in were much more liberal or progressive and you can point to the fact that you supported same sex marriage and you supported andgun control and that you hadn appeal there but you also were a guy whout cut taxes for the rich and did some other things at a time when the progressive week of the democratic party were saying is he one of us. >> obviously i talked to my father. >> rose: yes. >> so i can't think of an issue that i've addressed where he has said to me even privately, i wouldn't do that. it's a function of the time. this state competitively is a
12:21 am
much different place than it was 20, 30 years ago. we are now fighting with states to keep residential homeowners in this state. when my father was governor we didn't have this level of competition. you can move to connecticut, you can move to jersey, you can move to florida, you can move to north carolina, back to north carolina. so we were in competition and you didn't have that same sense during my father's time. what our tax rate is makes a difference. so on the economics, i have pressures that he didn't have. on the social issues i think this is till the progressive capitol of the nation. >> rose: but some people have taken that progressive label. when people to new york think of the liberal progressive in the style of mario cuomo, they don't
12:22 am
think of andrew cuomo they think of mayor de blasio. >> he's a good friend and a progressive new york city. he represents new york city, i represent new york state. my constituents are obviously in new york city but i represent the whole state and there's a big difference between down state and up state. economically there's a8risç big difference. by values, by ideology there's a big difference. so there are two very different jobs and two very different constituents with two very different sets of values. but in my position at the end of the day, i have to make sure that this state is economically competitive. and i have to make sure that the tax situation keeps us competitive so yes i reduce taxes all across the board by the way. not just for the rich, the middle class being the lower taxes than they had since the 1950's. >> rose: some say you have a conservative budget. >> yes.
12:23 am
we cut the waste, we cut fraud. but from my point of view, that's exactly what we should be doing. that's what a progressive should be doing. you know, whenúwritten in the bt progressive politics is running an inefficient bloated government. no. progressive politics is running an efficient streamlined government that actually gets results and performs. more money more money more money. that is not the mantra -- >> rose: is there a difference other than the fact that de blasio runs new york and you run the state between the two of you in terms of philosophy, in terms of how you see the world. >> i think we see the world the same way. i think i represent up state new york that has economic pressures that down state new york does not have. >> rose: politics are more conservative. >> upstate politics is more
12:24 am
conservative, yes. economically they are in a much harder position than new york city. the economy's one of the slowest in the united states and it has been for a very long time. they can't compete with high taxes, charlie. it's one thing for new york city that has a unique set of assets. upstate new york is in a tougher economic position and i have to make sure they have a tax structure that allows people to stay there and businesses to go there because they have seen a reduction in economic strength. decade after decade. >> rose: let me go back to your father for a second. did you blame yourself because you didn't lead washington to comet"$áug that campaign point? >> in part. >> rose: you did. >> in part i did. >> rose: you felt guilty. >> yes. >> rose: how did you express
12:25 am
it to them. >> i don't know if i ever said i should have come back. i don't think i ever used those words. >> rose: because andrew cuomo at that time couldn't apologize. >> those words would be too hurtful for both of us, for both of us. but he knows, he knows how i feel. it was a tough place. i had always been helpful to him obviously from his first campaign. i was in washington, i had started a new family. i was an assistant secretary at the department of housing and urban development which is a big deal. it's a senate-confirmed position, etcetera. and i wasn't that position to leave my family, leave my job and go back to new york. i don't know that it would have made a difference. but, do i feel that in the just loyalty family sense i should have been there?
12:26 am
yes, i do. >> rose: he also had this thing that he liked to come back to albany and sleep in his own bed. >> always, from anywhere. >> rose: even if he was in san francisco the highlights of his life, the famous speech. that came back. >> yes. >> rose: >> not to that extremeo that extreme. and i think he's got there over a period of time. the basic point started that i'm the governor of new york, irget paid to be the governor of new york, i should be here. i should be here.0+! something happens, a storm, flood, i should be here.de and if i'm gallivanting around the country, i'm gallivanting around the world, then he'll n ot -- i'm not where i'm supposed to be and that will start speculation i'm supposed to be somewhere else. that's where it started because my father got extreme, literally. went to california got back on
12:27 am
the plane. >> rose: people said wow, what great speeches. >> back on the plane in coach, bed and breakfast. >> rose: but today, where were you on the night that you won the primary, the democratic primary and people said he was not celebrating, he was not out there but he issued a statement. what does that say about you? >> well the democratic primary was not the most hotly contested race. >> rose: they did better than many people thought she would do. 34% of the vote is not bad for a signature governor. >> but it was a very skewed election in that the turnout was very low. precisely for that reason. people didn't really think there was nothing else really on the ballot. people didn't think it was a major threat in the race so it was a much reduced turnout. >> rose: nevertheless there are those who interpreted it this way. that she was more progressive and that she basically was able
12:28 am
to make an appeal to progressives in new york, that you weren't liberal enough. >> , i don't know that it was that. i have, again it depends on what you think a progressive should be doing. i have taken on the public employee's unions. why? because the state was going bankrupt. i don't believe that means an inefficient management. if that's what progressive means then we're in trouble. so i think on the public employee unions, they are a main supporter of the democratic quote/unquote liberal establishment. and my opponents, the people who are against me became her supporters. the teacher's union, i have issues with. why? >> rose: what issue do you have with them? >> i am not even a ten-year
12:29 am
fight. i am pushing aggressively teacher performance and teacher evaluations. this state spends moreiz than ay other state in the nation per student on education. more than any other state. we're dead middle of the pack in terms of performance. i want to know what teachers perform, what schools perform, the high performance teacher should get a bonus, the lower performance teacher should get help. the high performance schools should get a bonus, incentive, the lower performance schools should get help. this has caused friction with the teacher's union. i understand that. but to me, education is not about the teacher's union, it's about the student. and we lost that somewhere along the way. so who is the progressive, charlie? the person who is wanting to take on the union to folk on the student or the person who pledges allegiance to the union? you know, when did progressive mean i'm thenchyp supporter of e bureaucracy for the program
12:30 am
rather than i'm an advocate for the goal. >> rose: so you didn't debate your opponent. it doesn't seem like andrew cuomo who is confident, who believes his argument, who thinks he has the right ideas. >> look, again to me, it was not the most serious of all electoral contests. there weren't really issues that developed. so it's just not a serious race. i'm now in a general election. there are very real differences between÷h me and my opponents. and i proposed and accepted two debates and let's see what they'll say. >> rose: if they ask you do you promise to serve fourwhat w. >> i plan to serve four years. >> rose: plan to, promise two. sometimes you pledge to serve four years but they might not because they want to run for
12:31 am
president. >> what happens if i have a heart attack and drop dead and i don't seven four years. do i break my promise. >> rose: you know what i mean. if somebody said would you make a pledge you will not run for president in 2016, would you sign that. >> i have no plan to run for president in 2016. >> rose: everybody says that. but it would be hard for you if for some reason i assume secretary clinton runs you'll support her with enthusiasm. >> right. >> rose: if she doesn't run, how can you resist? doing what you must feel your father had a chance to do and didn't do and you probably wish he had done >> well, we have a couple theories on that. one, what my father did, you
12:32 am
cannot counsel anyone you should would run for president. that should be a burning desire you have charlie, that you are so sure you want to do this. it's like counseling someone you should marry thisuv woman. either you feel it or you don't. >> rose: is politics a lot like romance. >> more than you would guess. so he didn't feel it, he didn't want it badly enough at the end of the day so i respected that. >> rose: do you understand it, though? >> i understand him so i understood it. >> rose: and so you, do you have the burning desire to be president? >> the only desire i have now is to be the best possible governor i can be. we had a great four years, we've had great progress and i've had a burning desire to continue the next four and bring the state to an even better place. and i think we have an
12:33 am
opportunity to do really phenomenal things here. >> rose: what's the most important thing to accomplish if you are re-elected governor. >> i want to finish the job that we have started. we have started turning out economies in this state that have been depressed for decades. hour mutual friend got rest his soul, tim russell brought me to buffalo new york when we were in our 20 somethings. continue went on and on about how the town had lost hope and lost faith. nobody cared. and butly is now making tremendous progress. it's all across upstate new york. i thought we had no future we're using young people. now believe again. the education system.:s charlie, it just doesn't work. every politician gets up and gives a great speech about how
12:34 am
education is our future and everybody knows that our public education system is not doing what it needs to do and it is going to be a disruptive shift and it is going to upset unions and parents and pta's. >> rose: and you're prepared to make that. >> yes, because that is progressive government. progressive government works. progressive government gets results. when i say i have a different mission than my father, my father people of the concept of progressive government. especially in opposition to the reagan era. i see my mission that can actually work efficiently, effectively. everybody will say the same thing to you. if i know my tax dollars were actually going to go to an education system, that was going to educate a child, i would pay the taxes. but they think the machinery, the bureaucracy doesn't work.
12:35 am
and many times they're right. well then -- >> rose: is this more of a republican argument than a democratic argument. >> no, because the conservative argument will be government doesn't work, you're wasting your time. it can't work. the free market work and anything the free market doesn't do, charity should do. that's the conservative argument. nice and simple and all of these government programs and bureaucracy are either counterproductive or a waste ofñ money. i think the[advancement of the e dream and goal is making theeeóp concept a reality. the education system work, please, make the transportation system work, please. make the housing system work please. make the security system work, please. i'm afraid of isis. i want to believe that
12:36 am
government can actually protect me. show me that it can but not with words, charlie. i heard the speeches. i've heard them all. i want to see the results and the performance and that's what i'm focused on. >> rose: are we going to see you at the end of this first term you again to make foreign trips. you went to i real, you went to afghanistan. what's that about. >> that is about specifically at that time the rise of isis, the. the recognition that they remain normal. when it comes to terrorism the way we have it mean normal when it comes to climate change and extreme weather. there's a different weather pattern, there's a new normal. we have floods, we have hurricanes that we never had. >> rose: does this say a governor should be interested in foreign affairs and shouldn't
12:37 am
have a foreign policy, she should have a comprehension of where the country fits in this country's role in the world. >> the governor of this state, you know you are at the top of the list for any terrorist threat. >> rose: new york city. >> new york city, new york state. you are at the top of the list. you learn that the hard way several times. security and making sure the people in this state are secure, public safety is job one. and understand the diming that is driving. charlie i don't believe this goes away, i don't believe this gets better. i believe this is a new normal. i believe this isis, there are a number of groups. >> rose: you support what the president has done so far. >> i support -- >> rose: should he do more. >> i support the president in his war on terror. he's the commander in chief, he calls the shots. i don't think that we can do
12:38 am
enough. i think this is the new reality. >> rose: should the president havecm done more in syria. you know what the criticism of the president is at an early time when asked to support and secretary clinton said we need to do more and ci director petraeus and defense secretary all said we should do more and the president said no. >> yes. for me charlie it's like yesterday, i'm not going to second guess the president. it's about tomorrow and working cooperative with the federal government to make sure this city and this state are secure. >> rose: why do you think his numbers are so low. >> i think it is a tough time out there. i think the economy, the numbers say good things. i don't think people feel it and this has been a long slog, this economy and it's still thought where we really want it to be. that is driving a lot of anxiety on both ends. >> rose: what would you recommend the theme of a great narrative if secretary clinton runs ought to be. >> i think charlie there are two great challenges.
12:39 am
i think one on the thomas we've been talking about, make the government work, performance results. these are frightening times and ebola the government better know what it's doing because if it doesn't, a lot of people are going to die. isis better know what it's doing because if it doesn't, then you'll never be safe from these terrorism threats which seem -- >> rose: so if you believe that, then you should be prepared, if the military believes it necessary to put combat troops on the ground, shouldn't it? if isis is that threat, you have to resist it. and they are within reach of baghdad. >> i think the threat is actually worse than isis. i think it will be isis today, it will be another group next week and another group thereafter. >> rose: in the middle east. >> that's right. >> rose: africa, asia. >> that is exactly right. we need to try to reduce the
12:40 am
anger and hatred before just states and number two, you'll need a security system in place here at home because they are coming. the only question is when. and the other challenge is going to be the economy. because the economy -- >> rose: what does the economy need that it doesn't v what does it need increase demand? does it need for corporations to spend more money in plant and equipment. is there a need to create some stimulus, create more demand. >> i think charlie we have a confidence crises in the economy. and that is -- >> rose: news or business. >> on both ends, on both ends. people don't feel it, they don't believe in it. and confidence has so much to do with the marketplace, consumer confidence, business confidence, investor confidence. and i think a lot of thepolitical extremes at coming from the extremes is
12:41 am
generated by this long term economic anxiety. we've had cycles before but there were quick downs and quick ups. this is just a slow drip drip drip and it's six years, seven years. and i still don't feel -- >> rose: a democratic president. and a senate that's democratic. what happens if goes republican. let me talk about this book. i don't know of a single issue that people are critical of you. do you believe the commission was created to look into corruption and you abolished the commission. that's sort of the way people see it in the public. >> that's the way people, it has been communicated. that is not the fact and the reality. this is a political dispute more than anything. i wanted the legislature to pass
12:42 am
a law, an ethics reformula. i said if you don't, i will appoint a commission to do the investigation. >> rose: and. >> the legislature didn't pass the law. i created the commission. i then said if you pass the law i will decommission becausebh i want the law. the legislature passed the law. 85% of the law i wanted. they didn't pass something called public finance which many of the editorial boards in new york support which i support, which is controversial. it happens not to be supported by the people of the state. and the legislature wouldn't pass public finance. but, i got 85% of what i wanted. i take 85% of the bill. the criticism was you should
12:43 am
have waited for public finance and gotten 100%. you should have kept the commission going. >> rose: because you were smart enough to know the apparent is that you simply create a commission and then canceled it. and the commission was to investigation corruption. >> yes. but the purpose was to get the law passed. >> rose: would you do it again. >> i would have communicated more extensively the purpose of the commission. >> rose: it seems like legalism as you know. >> we didn't have a commission. >> rose: you had it in your commission.there must have beenl risk of saying i'm canceling this and how hard it is to explain that. >> i did explain it before the fact. which was the mistake.9 i should have said more often than i said if they pass the
12:44 am
law, i will decommission the effort. and also part of it is, charlie, they're saying well you got 85%, you didn't get 100. and you should have held out for 100%. and you should have held out for public finance and we think you made a bad deal. if i had to hold out for 100% in four years, i wouldn't have passed the bill. my job is all about moving forward with compromise and this legislature was thought going to pass what they wanted which was public finance. this is still a democracy. we're in an election cycle now. the best way to get public finance is to elect legislators who will pass public finance because the current legislators won't. >> rose: tell me your reaction when you read the "new york times" endorsement for governor in the primary campaign.
12:45 am
>> i can't use those words on camera, charlie. >> rose: the "new york times" ha here you are a governor, son of a new york governor and they endorse you. >> that's a cuomo tradition that goes on for years. >> rose: the cuomos have a bad relationship with the "new york times." >> i don't think they enforced my father for key raises. they never endorsed me. >> rose: for re-election of governor. >> i'm sure for re-election. well against a republican conservative, yes. you make a bad start for them yet but they never supported my father early on. they never supported me. >> rose: so it was in terms of what you said. >> it is what it is. >> rose: let me ask you this again about you and two thiqáony
12:46 am
someone. he knows how to use this but his biggest weakness he relies on a handful of close aids. he does not delegate power and he is not able to track top count in his administration. he's not comfortable with people he does not know well. >> i believe this administration has had the best talent that this state has had. i believe in modern political history and i believe everybody in every administration. we've gotten a tremendous amount done. wu=tp broken every record. you lookokñ at the progress the state has made. it's been phenomenal in four years. we have 74 million jobs, more than the state has ever had before. we're number two in job creation. past four budgets in a row, hadn't been done inevery credits raised the credit rating. it's been an outstanding record.
12:47 am
that doesn't happen without a team. well you micromanage, you delegate more. and. >> rose: you don't suffer fools. >> you push too hard, you micromanage. >> rose: all of that. guilty or not guilty. >> you can't have one without the other. i plead guilty. >> rose: if you say to people if there's something about andrew cuomo you don't like, andrew cuomo the governor of new york says it's only because i am the way i am that we've had the success we have. that's what you said. >> yes. i believe that. i believe it. i'm not sitting on the beach in the south of france saying you run it, good luck. i'm a delegator. >> rose: that's where you come from, that's your tradition. >> that's who i am. that's what i told the people of
12:48 am
this state. >> rose: what did you tell them >> i said you elect me i work for you 24 hours seven days a week and if there's a problem it's my responsibility and if it goes wrong it's my responsibility. i have never said it was him. i never said it was this person or this person or the legislature or this. it's7÷ my responsibility. >> rose: you go to albany and find people around you that would say that you governor you're simply wrong. >> all the time. i enjoy hearing it by the way. i don't need to hear what i'm doing well or what i'm doing right. i need to hear what i'm not doing right. that's how you helped me. >> rose: you were on the floor and you had to get up. did you say to yourself there are times i've just been too
12:49 am
ambitious. i've been too anxious. your first run for political office was not to the city council. it was not for lieutenant governor, it was not for congressmen, it was for governor. governor. is there a bit of too much ambition too soon in andrew cuomo. is that one of the lessons. >> i think that was lesson number one, two and three. i think it was an overreach running for gone coming out of the clinton administration. it was a terrible political judgment. it violated the first rule of politics. i hadn't been in new york for many years. >> rose: you didn't know people or contacted them. you called up the county chairman all over europe saying i'm thinking about it i need your help i need to talkabout t. you didn't do any of this.
12:50 am
>> i know. terrible. that's what i was good at. >> it's what they said about report kennedy. they said who is going to be his robert kennedy. the question was who is going to be andrew's cuomo andrew cuomo in part. >> i would say i didn't have one. >> rose: you tried to be both. help me and i really mean this seriously. nothing i'm going to say to you now you don't know. there is this sense that somehow there is about you something that's somehow rubs people the wrong way occasionally. do you understand that? i mean does that resonate with you at all. it may go back to the prince of darkness in albany. i don't know where it comes from. there's a bit of that because i ask people what should i ask him and they say all the things i've asked about what do you want to accomplish and about foreign
12:51 am
policy and about learning from law. but they also say is he. >>nchyp i think charlie it depe. i think campaign manager for my father as a young person created a certain image and was a certain role. and by the way, that blew the job. you're a campaign manager running against the system, it is all up hill and it's new york politics and it is rough and tumble. i think -- >> rose: at all costs. >> well, it's just, this is hard ball and it's the fast pitch cage and that's what it is. that's new york politics. you don't have the stomach for it. they don't care if you're 19 or 55, you know. so it was a very very tough business. now, i think you look at what i've done in four years as
12:52 am
governor. i have by relationships accomplished a great deal. governor of new york, you don't have that much power in the job description, believe it or not. i was attorney general before i was governor. as attorney general, you have more constitutional power. as governor, you don't get anything done, you need to get it done with other people. you need the assembly, you need the senate, you need democrats, you need republicans, you need up staters and down staters. we have had unparallel success in putting together those coalitions. i mean, washington talks about g$'d lock. they have grid lock. they think they discovered grid lock. they didn't discover grid lock, albany discovered grid lock. we had 30 years, 23 budgets were
12:53 am
late. an average of two months. this was real, grid lock new york style, you know. it was tough. we did the exact opposite. four budgets passed on time first time in 40 years. i work with democrats, i work with republicans. >> rose: you know what you've just described is some of the qualities they say president obama has not had. >> it is true you have grid lock in washington that is -- >> rose: having to work with republicans. you would not have passed what you have done. >> well i have had to work with republicans. i have a senate that is controlled by republicans. so i understand, you have to get the republicans to address and you have to get the democrats to agree. that's why charlie when you say, when you ask well, the far left is unhappy with certain things.
12:54 am
okay, i heard the far left. they're unhappy with certain things. i have a republican senate. i have to get things passed. and that requires a balance in all these measures. >> rose: i'll read3 you the last paragraph. americans are magnificent collection of the most daring strong entrepreneur people on the planet. there's an offering of people who are drive enough to get into small boats across great oceans to come to a great land. they defended it through two world wars and continue to be the global force of freedom. pioneer and immigrant blood is in the veins of this country. that is the resilient resourceful character of this nation. that is what makes all things possible. which is the title of your book. governor thank you. >> thank you. >> rose: nice to see you. >> my pleasure. >> rose: andrew cuomo for the hour. thank you for joining us. see you next time. more about this program and early episodes visit us on-line at pbs.org and charlierose.com.
12:55 am
captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
12:56 am
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am
. this is "nightly business report" with tyler mathisen and susie gharib. brought to you in part by. the street.com, featuring stephanie link who shares her investment strategies, stock picks and market insights with actionalerts plus, the multi-million dollar portfolio she manages with jim cramer, you can learn more at the street.com. and one of the most ugly days in years, prices drop more than 4% as traders continue to search for a floor in prices. sliding in the nasdaq and s&p 500, the dow jones industrial average closing just slightly lower. wilbert than expected earnings from one of the

37 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on