Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  July 9, 2017 10:00am-11:00am PDT

10:00 am
>> chris: i'm chris wallace, president trump is back in washington after his first meeting with vladimir putin what should we look for in relations between the u.s. and russia? >> we look forward to a lot of very positive things happening for russia and the united states and for everybody concerned. >> chris: in the wake of the g-20 summit, we will discuss where things stand on syria, ukraine, russian meddling in the last election, and the trump agenda when we sit down with white house chief of staff reince priebus. if a "fox news sunday" exclusiv exclusive. then the senate returns from recess still confronted with what to do about obamacare. his repeal and replace in trouble? will ask republican senator dr. bill cassidy.
10:01 am
plus, as north korea gets closer to a nuclear icbm, president trump reaches out again to the chinese president. >> we will come to a successful agreement on north korea. >> chris: we will ask our sunday panel if there's any way to stop kim jong-un in his tracks. all right now on "fox news sunday" ." and hello again from fox news in washington. president trump is back at the white house after the g-20 summit where he seemed to get along better with russian president putin and some of our long-time european allies. so where do we stand now on foreign hot spots, trade, and climate change? and what about a new lid meeting in 2016 between the president's son, drum campaign officials, and a russian lawyer? in a few minutes we will break it all down with an exclusive
10:02 am
interview with the white house chief of staff. first let's bring in correspondent kevin corke with the latest, kevin. >> matter how far away the president travels from washington, for example, the 4,000 miles to hamburg, germany, it was one of the topics heading into the g-20 and it is again coming out of the g-20. the president talking about it and tweeting about it once again, this time talk about his meeting with president vladimir putin. he said i strongly pressed him twice about the elections, he vehemently denied it. i've already given my opinion. later we discussed forming an impenetrable cybersecurity unit so that many of the hacking and negative things will be guarded. fox news confirmed that donald trump, jr., arranged a meeting with a lawyer. that meeting he failed to disclose on his federal paperwork but had been noted by other attendees including derek
10:03 am
kushner. we also heard from the pump, trump legal team that the person who took part may have misrepresented herself and may have had ties with dnc operatives, very interesting twist in that story. as for deliverables from the summit, cease fire is an obvious one, president tweeting now is the time to move forward and working constructively with russia on that. another deliverable, the announced agreement with china to conduct joint military exercises. patient attempting to mollify u.s. concerns over the north. on trade, acknowledge america's right to seek more trade abroad. a great success for the u.s., it must fix the many bad trade deals it has made, it will get done. and they also noted america's decision to back out of the paris climate accord, which it called irreversible. to the white house it is
10:04 am
nonbinding and we are out. >> chris: kevin corke reporting from washington. trying out president trump chief of staff reince priebus. welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> reince: i'm happy to be here. >> chris: right. let's talk about the previously undisclosed meeting, donald trump, jr., this was during the campaign, jerry kushner, the president's son-in-law and senior advisor and campaign chairman paul. they met a russian lawyer with ties to the kremlin, why did they meet and why are we just learning about it? >> reince: first of all, i don't know much about it other than what i've communicated with various members on the screen. it was a short meeting, a meeting apparently about russian adoption and after about 20 minutes the meeting ended and that was the end of it. as far as nondisclosure, jerry kushner put in his disclosure a little prematurely, he has since
10:05 am
amended it. it was a nothing meeting, what's developing from that meeting if you look at the article circa put out, the individual that set up the meeting may have been affiliated with fusion gps, and opposition research firm that is being subpoenaed and talk to by the senate judiciary committee about their role in putting together that phony dossier that people are talking about in regards to the president. it's a developing story, i don't know much about it other than it seems to be on the end of the trump individuals a nothing burger but may spin out of control for the dnc and the democrats. >> chris: in terms of the the , are you saying this was a set up to try and link them or compromise them with the russians? this was before there was any interference in election, so why would they have done that? >> reince: why were they involved in putting together
10:06 am
this dossier? i don't know. and i don't think too many people know why or how this meeting came about. however, what i can tell you is in my communication with our team on the subject, there was nothing to it, it was a 20 minute meeting, it ended after everyone was decidedly sitting there saying there's nothing happening here, they moved on, and i think in the end what you will find in the story if you leave the column, there are more questions on the democrat side than anything else. >> chris: one last question about the meeting, why would donald trump, jr., jerry kushner and campaign chairman paul manafort all want to meet with a russian lawyer about russian adoption? >> reince: i have no idea, you will have to talk to them. however, talking about issues of foreign policy issues related to our place in the world, issues important to the american people, like adoption, is something that's not unusual. when you go through a campaign, you are not just talking to one particular group of people about
10:07 am
in this case adoptions in russia, you have policy teams talk about our place in asia, our trade in china, they run the gamut, it's not unusual. >> chris: i want to clear up, speaking of foreign policy meetings, what really happened in the putin-trump summit in hamburg on friday. russian foreign minister says that after putin denied meddling in election, he, trump, this is his quote, said that he had except these uncertainties, assertions. and he said that certain circles in the u.s. are still exaggerating, although they cannot prove this, the topic of russian interference with the election. in that true? to the president say what he said he said? >> reince: the president absolutely did not believe the denial of president putin. what he did his he immediately came into the meeting, talked about russian meddling in the
10:08 am
u.s. election, when after that issue at least two separate times. this was not just a five-minute piece of the conversation, this was an extensive portion of the meeting and after going at it with president putin more than once, two times, even three times, the president at that point after spending a large part of the meeting on the subject moved on to other topic topics. >> chris: and we will get to that, he does not accept putin's denial he believes the russians metal? >> reince: please answer this question many times, he said they probably metal in the election, they did metal in the election. it's an absolute fact, it drives the media crazy, others have as well. and that's true. china has, north korea has have consistently over many years. yes, he believes that russia probably committed all of these acts that we've been told of, but he also believes that other countries also did. >> chris: let's move to the
10:09 am
next subject, what is the response, what are the consequences for doing that? i want to put a tweet -- your boss has been very busy today on twitter. now it is time to move forward in working constructively with russia. does that mean that they are off the hook as far as russian meddling is concerned? >> reince: it doesn't mean they are off the hook, but it means we are not going to forgo progress simply because we have a disagreement in regards to this meddling in the united states election, what it means is that we need to move forward with things like a cease-fire in syria. it will save a lot of lives, which we are doing i think starting today in southwestern syria, it means we need to move forward in working together on isis. resolving the conflict in ukraine. you can chew gum -- walk and chew gum at the same time. >> chris: how do you respond to democrats like chuck schumer were saying it's disgraceful
10:10 am
that the president comes out of this meeting and basically says we are going to move forward? >> reince: we can solve world peace and world famine and i think senator schumer would say the same thing. they are programmatic when it comes to trashing the president. when you look at what he did in europe and recommitting ourselves to our allies, committing ourselves to our partners in europe, across the world, committing ourselves to the values of the west, delivering a speech in poland which many people say are the best speeches since ronald reagan. you look at what he did in hamburg. other than our small disagreement on trade in the paris agreement, we have unification with our allies. >> chris: i will get to that, but let's talk about one more aspect of the meeting, progress in syria. they did discuss it, here's how secretary of state rex tillerson described it afterwards. >> i would tell you that by and large are exact stomach objectives are exactly the same. maybe they got the wrong
10:11 am
approach and we got the wrong approach. >> chris: i want to ask about that, secretary of state says the u.s. and russia have exactly the same objectives and that maybe they have the right approach and we have the wrong approach. russia, putin are backing assad who has slaughtered hundreds of thousands of civilians, and they may have the right approach? 32 i think what he may have been referring to is that barack obama put a red line in the sand and didn't actually follow through with the threat that he made in syria and we find ourselves behind the eight ball in syria because nothing happened for many, many years and now we are looking from the outside in. that all being said we need to move forward and actually maybe work with russia on bringing peace to syria and i think that's what you're seeing the beginning stages of happening. >> chris: they want assad, the butcher of baghdad. >> reince: i think it has yet to be seen what is going to be at assad. certainly he's a butcher and a
10:12 am
bad person and you've seen president trump act decisively when it comes to syria. it didn't take him long to pull the trigger in regard to the response of the chemical attack. that's a decisive leader and that's who the g-20 leaders saw in hamburg, somebody who was not afraid, stands up for himself when it comes to issues of disagreement like trade and the paris agreement. >> chris: let's talk about exactly that subject, because generally at these summits, the meeting of the world's leading economist, east and west, the u.s. sets the tone, but there were a lot of times, and you just refer to it a couple times, sharp disagreement over climate change, completely disagree and they kind of papered over the disagreement on trade, which still is there. does the president have any trouble when he's one against 19? >> reince: i think the american people should look at that as a massive positive about this president, he doesn't just
10:13 am
show up at the g-20 and sink into his chair and suddenly agree with all of these european leaders across the table when it comes to issues that he disagrees on. the president has made it very clear that he doesn't believe the paris agreement is fair. you say it's a disagreement, it's really not a disagreement on the environment, it's a disagreement on the paris agreement itself and the fact that we don't want to be hamstrung by an agreement that will hurt the american worker across the country that the president has pledged to support. we disagree in regard to trade a little bit and the fact that this president actually believes that trade should be fair, that we shouldn't be taken advantage of. that is something the president is standing up for the american people -- it should be seen as a positive extract >> chris: let me ask you a specific question on trade because the president may decide in the next few days whether to propose tougher restrictions on steel imports coming into this country, talk about a 25%
10:14 am
tariff. the head of the european commission says we are prepared to take up arms if need be. his reaction to the fact that the president may do this. it is president trump ready for an international trade more? >> reince: first of all, the president does what he says he's going to do. he's been talking about steel, aluminum, cars for 30 years, practically my entire life. he believes in the things that he believes in. there's also a national security peace to this and the american people need to understand. if a country loses its ability to produce steel it loses something in regards to national security, a country cannot find itself importing steel from china subjected to dumping of steel from other countries. i don't mean to interrupt, -- >> reince: this is an important issue. >> chris: you're making the argument that yes he will impose tough restrictions.
10:15 am
>> reince: my guess is that he will because he promised he would. >> chris: 's than the europeans will impose tough restrictions. >> reince: maybe they will, maybe they won't. >> chris: they say they will. >> reince: many of these countries have been taking advantage of the united states and part of the reason why president trump is in the white house if he told the american people that the time is over for the rest of the world to take advantage of the united states. >> chris: what happens when they impose tough restrictions on our exports to them? and americans lose jobs. >> reince: other than maybe a few countries you can't find a trade surplus going the opposite direction of the united states. that all being said, we might be running out of time, i want to make it very clear, this was a positive meeting. the president set the stage in europe, the leaders of the g-20 came to the president, he was a star in hamburg and no one can take that away. the fact of the matter is i think he's placing america first, but with that are
10:16 am
typically aligning our allies and making sure that our objectives across the world and the objectives of western civilization are being met. >> chris: one last question, about one minute left. we are over time. in senate coming back this week to take up health care. mitch mcconnell is acknowledging you may not pass repeal and replace, you may have to work with the democrats to prop up obamacare, more republican senators coming out against it, how much trouble is it in? >> reince: i don't think it's in half as much trouble as the media wanted to be in, just like it wasn't the case when we went through the house bill the second time around, everyone said that it was over and a few days later it passed. i think that's what you are seeing right now, you are seeing members of the senate putting their wish list together, a leader in mitch mcconnell that can get it done. if anyone can get it done, mitch mcconnell, president trump working together with a senate. >> chris: yes or no? >> reince: yes. they will get a repeal and replace build on, i believe
10:17 am
that. >> chris: before the august recess? >> reince: maybe before, maybe a little bit into it, but i know the president expect them to get this done whether it be before august recess or during, the president expects the senate to fulfill the promises made to the american people. >> chris: reince, thank you, thanks for your time, always good to talk with you. up next we will bring in our sunday group to discuss president trump's latest the world stage meeting with vladimir putin and other leader leaders. okay, i picked out my dream car.
10:18 am
now's the really fun part.
10:19 am
choosing the color, the wheels, the interior, everything exactly how i want it. here's the thing: just because i configured this car online doesn't mean it really exists at a dealership, but with truecar, i get real pricing on actual cars in my area. i see what others paid for them, and they show me the ones that match the car i want, so i know i can go to a truecar-certified dealer and it'll be right there waiting for me... today, right now. this is truecar. speak out because the position of the united states on the one hand, but i'm very happy that all other g-20 heads of state and government have agreed that the paris agreement is
10:20 am
irreversible. >> chris: german chancellor angela merkel, host of the g-20 summit acknowledging there were some sort, sharp differences. brit hume, columnist for the hill juan williams, former democratic congresswoman donna edwards, and former speaker of the house newt gingrich, author of the best selling book, "understanding drum." g-19 was trending on twitter this weekend because of the sharp differences. is that a good thing or a bad thing for the u.s.? >> i think it's a good thing. a simple premise, a whole series of agreements that are bad for america, they are good for the guys that got the deals. all of these guys that got these good deals are going you actually want to change the agreement? same thing with nato, we went out and said to them, pay your
10:21 am
fair share, including germany, all of a sudden they are shocked that we want to have them help defend themselves. if you're going to go in and you are serious about changing the trade deals, the other side had a good, free ride, they will be mad at you. changing the paris accord on economic grounds, which is what he said. it's very clear he thinks this is a bad deal for america. the germans and the chinese and the indians, you think that's a great deal for you. i think he did exactly what he promised to do, that's exactly what the campaign was about. if they think they can get along without the u.s. in the paris accord, let's talk about six months from now because the truth is merkel and germany ain't that big. they don't have that much clout he starts the week by going to warsaw so between teresa mae in britain and the polish government, the europeans are split on a lot of issues, we don't happen to be with the chancellor on them. >> chris: congressman edwards let me bring you in on this
10:22 am
because while there certainly were differences in the european leaders aren't happy about this. in many cases that it's one against a 19, sure there's a lot of people who would say playing nice with the world hasn't helped particularly with jobs they lost. >> is not a question of playing nice, it's a question of being a leader and i think one of the perceptions coming out of the g20 is that the united states doesn't seem to stand in his leadership position. i was not a big fan of many of those trade deals, i think it's really important for us to look at ways that we protect the american workers, that we strengthen our manufacturing, so i think it's appropriate to look at those things, but it doesn't mean leaving the rest of the world behind. >> an interesting formulation here, you're hearing it from congress woman edwards and for many others, the president is out of step with the leaders in europe. if he refuses to follow them, he
10:23 am
is therefore not leading. to meet that doesn't make any sense on logic grounds. taking a different path. there are many nations who will be with him, certainly the reception he got in warsaw indicated that as well and because he is out of step with a certain group of european leaders does not mean he's given up a leadership role, it may mean he's embracing it. >> chris: a very interesting conversation i had with reince priebus on this question of steel imports, he basically says he's going to impose limits on steel and you get the head of the european commission same god, we will then impose limits on some of your exports. >> so you get into a trade war situation. you see that inside the white house you have people think this will appeal to our base, the people who feel like they've lost jobs because of these trade deals that are unfair to american workers, but you get ten people on the national economic council saying we don't want a trade war, we don't need that kind of static right now, the economy seems to
10:24 am
be going along pretty well, we had good numbers this week, why would you want to disrupt that? and i think for a lot of people the question then extends to the leadership issue you are hearing discussed here this morning. my take on this is when you talk about american leadership you have to understand, we have the biggest economy in the world, we have the biggest military in the world, we can set an example for other countries. it may be that at some point you say we are taking more aggressive steps that are being imposed on other countries, so that's not fair to us. we are the big boy. >> chris: i want to turn to perhaps the highlight of the whole summit that was the meeting, at least from the u.s. point of view, good meeting between president trump and president putin. there is the total that at the beginning of the meeting. >> we look forward to a lot of very positive things happening for russia, for the united states, and for everybody concerned, and it's an honor to be with you. >> am delighted to be able to
10:25 am
meet you personally mr. president and i hope i do set our meeting will yield positive results. >> chris: how much should we make of what the two men said about russian modeling, now you got president trump in a tweet this morning saying i will move forward, syria, north korea, all the issues. are we overstating the importance of this meeting? >> i think we will know in six or eight weeks. if they actually have a cease-fire that works, which also, by the way involves israel and jordan, that's the first time in the syrian civil war that we will have actually had a joint american-russian agreement that survived. i say you will know more about that in six to eight weeks. if they create a relationship where they can get a genuine cease-fire in eastern ukraine, that is an enormous step in the right direction. if they can create a relationship with the russians understand that we would defend the three baltic states and that they cannot threaten them, -- >> chris: that's a lot of if's
10:26 am
there. >> that's exactly right. given putin's track record i can tell you this is probably not a breakthrough, but i can tell you the tone is right, and putin is a very tough guy but i think you may have been surprised by tillerson and trump because they are very tough guys. if you end up with two sets of tough guys and one of them has the largest economy, the largest military, the greatest reach in the world, probably that guy ends up winning if he is determined and i think ultimately putin is probably going to deal with him. >> chris: congress woman edwards, i want to ask about this controversy, and a lot of democrats have been hitting trump, a lot of your former colleagues in congress, talking about moving forward. to some degree, do we want to hold the entire relationship hostage? just assume the worst that the russians meddled like crazy. we still have to do business with them? >> there's moving forward and
10:27 am
then there's the sanctions. i want to hear what moving forward means because the fact is the trump administration actually has been engaged in the congress trying to loosen the sanctions and are not happy with the bill that came out of the senate and so i want to know what moving forward means. does that mean that we do have to have a relationship at some level to try to deal with syria? yes, but our interests in syria are very different from the trump administration. if we are not going to prop up the assad regime, i think russia has that interest. >> might i suggest that if the president had had a very tense meeting, the senate entirely on the alleged meddling in the election, which required atomic appears clearly to have happene. the president's critics would not have liked that better than
10:28 am
what happened. this amounts to at least a renewal of diplomacy in an area where diplomacy has been at a chill some time. we will see what comes of it, it's way too early to judge, as the speaker suggests, but i can't help and think that it's worth a try, at least to see it diplomatically things could be accomplished. >> chris: we have to take a break, we will see you later. after next, the gop's health care agenda is in trouble, but how much trouble? we will discuss the fate of repeal and replace with republican senator and dr. bill cassidy, who has his own plan.
10:29 am
>> chris: coming up, senators returned to washington to tackle health care after some hear from voters back home. can the senate passed repeal and ♪
10:30 am
[brother] any last words? [boy] karma, danny... ...karma! [vo] progress is seizing the moment. your summer moment awaits you, now that the summer of audi sales event is here. audi will cover your first month's lease payment on select models during the summer of audi sales event.
10:31 am
>> chris: looked outside the beltway at new orleans famed french quarter. the senate returned from recess tomorrow with republicans still hoping to keep their promise to repeal and replace obamacare. but how realistic is that cold? joining me now is louisiana senator and dr. bill cassidy, who has his own health care plan, welcome back. you are one of the few
10:32 am
republican senators or congressmen who hold an open town hall during his last recess and you got an ear full on health care, let's take a look. >> taking 22 million people after health care, knowing they cannot afford it. you know what people are like, spoke to step on their necks by kicking them off their health care, that's rude. >> chris: a strong message to follow. as he went around the state of louisiana this last ten days, how concerned are voters? how concerned are folks when they read in this fellow was aware of it, that tens of millions of people could lose their health insurance other than the plans republicans are putting forward? >> they are very concerned, you're hearing two different arguments. i'm paying $1700 a month for insurance before obamacare i was
10:33 am
paying 800 and i have $6,000 deductibles per family member, and folks with disabilities who are concerned they will lose their coverage for the disability. that shows that health care is like no other issue, touches people in their most personal, and we have to get it right. >> chris: they are not happy with the current situation. >> senator cassidy: people don't like change even from worst to better, there are a lot of things about the health care bill that are going up that are not true. i have reservations about the senate bill, but some of that which is a concern does not need to be a concern. >> chris: let's talk about the plan because you and senator collins, republican senator collins of maine who was set at this point that she's against the bill, the senate bill, your plan, you are putting forward, some of the highlights. keep most obamacare taxes to pay for a replacement. allow states to keep most of obamacare if they want for states that want a new system, auto enroll people in insurance
10:34 am
would have to opt out, not opt in. it's an interesting plan, but how many of your colleagues in the senate, particularly republicans, have signed on for? through six of us total, more than any other plan out there. i would say that the only way we can go forward. >> chris: but you need 50, plus the vice president. >> senator cassidy: if the president logs and that this was the plain english this or that leadership says this was a plan that we want and it will be the polemical forward, but people will sign on, they say let's see what president trump does. let's first talk about why that had such a problem passing any plan. they're trying to combine tax reform with health care reform, we take care of that. we say let's take care of health care reform first and then address the tax situation when you do comprehensive tax reform. don't mix the two, we don't mix the two. secondly, are we serious about keeping donald trump campaign
10:35 am
pledges to cover all, care for pre-existing conditions, eliminate the individual and employer mandates, and lower premiums connected we are serious about that, cassidy-collins are the only way to get there. >> chris: here's the criticism you here, and quite frankly, i don't mean to be negative, this was the reason it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, is that if new york, which are basically saying at the federal system, each state can decide, that is a code, conservative federal argument, but if new york and if california decided that they are going to retain obamacare with all of the benefits, most of obamacare, with federal taxes, which is what your plan would do, conservative senators faith in their states, and the folks in their states are playing so new yorkers can have bigger, better, richer health care coverage than they can. >> senator cassidy: that is a misunderstanding of our bill. every state gets an equivalent amount of money based on the population and a couple other factors, the cost of care,
10:36 am
et cetera. new york and california it would continue to get the share they want, minors, the way, the penalties on the individual and employer mandates, we repeal those mandates so those states would have to reimpose mandates, frankly i don't think they keep obamacare, they go with our other option. >> chris: for hot idea right now is ted cruz's plan, under which each exchange, an insurer could offer what are called skinny plans, cheaper plans with fewer benefits that people can buy, but as long as they offer one plan that has all the benefits under obamacare. the argument against that is that you will get healthy people, they will buy the cheaper plan with less coverage because they are healthy and that means that the middle income people who aren't covered by medicaid, who have pre-existing conditions are serious problems are going to have these expensive comprehensive plans that will be able to afford. you basically have a two class
10:37 am
insurance system and for the people who really need it, no insurance at all. >> senator cassidy: first, i'm all for people being able to choose the insurance plan that best suits their needs, we should absolutely do that. but you are right, if you put them -- the older and sicker off in their own plan, you just re-created the obamacare exchanges with federal taxpayers putting billions and to subsidize expense of a few. we need to have a common pool where everybody chips and a little bit for that young person who gets in a car wreck, for example. if we do it, in that case that amendment is a good one. they will but as it now stands it is a nonstarter for you. >> senator cassidy: i don't know the limit, if it turns out it's too plans. that's what it's described. >> senator cassidy: that's okay. with two risk pools, that's bad. >> chris: that's what he described. >> senator cassidy: he has not yet designated whether you have single or double, if it's a single that actually works, if it's a two risk pool, that is
10:38 am
just obamacare re-created. >> chris: at least ten republican senators have now said, have come out formally, you have not, although you have expressed doubts about it, have expressed doubts about the mcconnell plan as it was offered the last week in june, is that plan now document >> senator cassidy: we don't know what the plan is. >> chris: it was submitted. >> senator cassidy: the draft plan has now been serious rewrite, so we don't know what the serious rewrite -- clearly the draft plan is dead. as the serious rewrite plan dead? i don't know, haven't seen them. >> chris: it's a heck of a way to do business. >> senator cassidy: it is a heck of a way to do business. i go back to cassidy-collins. the nice thing about it is as you said it's a conservative, federalist approach which gives the state guidelines, gets every state their fair share and allows them to come up with the answer for their stay. it takes that decision-making away from us, returning to the patients in the state, that's where we should be. >> chris: then there was the
10:39 am
idea that president trump offered in a tweet a few days ago and let's put this up on the screen. if republican senators are unable to pass what they're working on now, they should immediately repeal and then replace at a later date. what you think of that? >> senator cassidy: nonstarter nonstarter. uncertainty in the insurance market, premiums will rise for middle-class families. it gets all the power for people who actually don't believe in his campaign pledges, actually don't want to continue to cover and care for play existing conditions, it gives them the stronger hand. i think it's wrong, it betrays his campaign pledges. >> chris: so i come away from this, senator, thinking that repeal and replace is in real trouble. >> senator cassidy: in the current pathway, it has been. i know i sound like a broken record, we should go back to conservative principles we devolve power to the states and to the patients allowing them to make the best decision for them. >> chris: i guess what i'm
10:40 am
asking is if you look at a rewritten -- i understand you haven't seen it all, but what you've heard about, there's nobody more clued in on this in the senate than you are. if you look at what mcconnell is talking about, what cruz is talking about, forget cassidy-collins for a moment, how much trouble is repeal and replace and connect >> senator cassidy: if you're only talking about the draft plan, clearly is not going to pass, ten senators have said they would not vote for. on the other hand every time they come up with a new iteration that becomes more conservative, we move a little bit closer to past. if we continue on that pathway i do think we come up with both a bill that passes and one that fulfills the campaign pledges. >> senator cassidy: this diskette passed by the end of the month? spilled i don't know that. >> senator cassidy: i don't know that >> chris: do want to put odds on it? >> senator cassidy: people point premiums of 20, 30, $40,000, we have to do something to stabilize the market for those middle-class families
10:41 am
currently kind of groaning between elements beneath obamacare. going forward, obamacare -- our american people want more freedom to make the decision that matters to them and not have somebody in washington, d.c., tell them what the decision should be. obamacare tells them what that decision should be. it may take a while but we will get to a point where that power goes back to the family and that's where it should be. >> chris: but it might not happen on this legislative calendar. >> senator cassidy: it may not happen completely completely honest legislative calendar but the process will begin. it will be inevitable completely occur. >> chris: senator kathy, thank you, thank you for coming in, it's always good to talk with you. up next, we will bring up our sunday group to talk about whether mitch mcconnell can put together the votes he needs to pass a bill. plus, what would you like to ask the panel about g.o.p. chances for repeal and replace? just go to facebook or twitter, @foxnewssunday, and we may use
10:42 am
your question on the air.
10:43 am
10:44 am
10:45 am
>> obamacare is in a total death spiral. the problems will only get worse
10:46 am
if congress fails to act. obamacare is dead. it >> chris: president trump making his central argument, the republicans have no choice but to repeal and replace a plan that is now falling apart. we are back now with the panel. mitch mcconnell didn't want his g.o.p. colleagues to go home for this recess, concerned spending a lot of time with their voters would only weaken support support, not strengthen report, how much trouble are republicans in now and passing the bill? >> i think the bill was in trouble and will have to be revised, and whether it can be revised to the point where it can gather a majority in the senate's question to make the question. what is really troubling about this is that at the heart of this is the reform of medicaid, not to cut it, but to reduce the spiraling rate of growth of that program. if the republicans control both houses in the white house cannot
10:47 am
do this on this matter it signals that retirement performed which for budgetary and physical reasons and for the national economy, needs to happen, cannot happen, and that in my mind is alarming, disturbing and very worse. >> chris: we ask you for questions for the panel and on this question, we got this on twitter from ron powell, who writes "why if they had eight years and multiple houseboats to repeal did you not have an alternative ready when you took power"? it's clear they had zero. how do you answer? >> they did have a plan and i think what they've learned -- the kind of plan you have is going to become law, it skyrockets. they found it to be much harder than they thought it would be. my personal bet is that mcconnell will find the votes and i think it's possible if
10:48 am
they get a package that can actually run from the most conservative member to the most moderate member in the senate that that will just passed by the house. i think people really want to get this done and i think mcconnell -- a senator who really understands this issue, who i think was able to outline as a medical doctor the right direction, they will keep churning for another two weeks, the deadline is good for them, the senate tend to operate best when it's faced with a deadline and i think it will get something done before the august break. >> chris: that's one of the big concerns, that president obama and the democrats expanded medicaid, common people that weren't previously covered, millions of people got it, while it is true that it doesn't cut medicaid, it slows the rate of growth of medicaid, some people who now have coverage eventually would lose coverage, and it states that didn't expand medicaid is a tremendous concern that they will be stuck in an inferior
10:49 am
position. how do you make them whole? >> i'm underwhelmed by governors who love free money. a lot of governors who say it we want more of this money, 90% of the cost to be picked up by the feds for the expanded part of medicaid, which actually discriminates against americans with disabilities because they only get 62% federal funding in some states actually re-rigged the game, look at what mary mayhew did in maine but a pastor forms and said if you are an able-bodied adult than you are to be required to work if you have no children. medicaid has expanded dramatically in the zones it was never designed for and i think the american people would support reforms that had work requirements contract to people who were able-bodied adults. >> chris: juan, what you think the chances that the republicans failed to pass anything on repeal of the place, which i think there's a growing sentiment here in washington, and if they fail to pass it after seven years of promising
10:50 am
the what, what's the backlash that will face in 2018? >> the premise of your question is right on target because at this point looks to me like living republicans are up against his embarrassment with the republican base that they are not in position to pass repeal and replace after so many years, so much rhetoric and votes to undo obamacare and you have conservative lobbying here in town for pressing hard that they must repeal and replace or they will pay a price in 2018 in the midterms, but the fact is that ultimately mitch mcconnell has expressed doubts about having it, president trump has had the house built is mean. what you have is the question about how the base reacts. at this point i think the base, a polarized electorate, is not going to abandon republicans, they will not go vote for the democrats, the problem is a political one. at this point we are not talking about a good plan, even republicans when they are polled
10:51 am
don't think this is a good plan for them. it's what you saw in the town hall meetings. you don't have repeal and replace, nobody is building a border wall, no tax cuts, no tax reform, dreamers still here. you have to think hey republicans, did you buy a bill of goods or what? >> chris: think folks would just go home, he had to go back to sleep. president trump may be overstating it, but you have to agree with obamacare as it currently stands is in trouble, premiums are going up, deductibles are going up and let me put this on the screen, in 2016, 85% of enrollees had a choice of three or more insurance, is here only 58%, and just to take away one of your arguments, a lot of this started before president trump became president. >> i also think that, first of all, the rate of increase is not the rate of increase that we
10:52 am
would have seen had we done nothing at all, that is really clear, medical costs were skyrocketing. i think that now the trump administration has done some things to really destabilize the system. >> chris: this is the point i was trying to take away from you, a lot of it was already in trouble. >> over this last year we have heard message after message about the need to repeal and replace and it has created total instability in the system and i think insurers rightly don't know what's going on and so we know that there are things that can be done to strengthen the affordable care act that republicans and democrats can agree on, things like removing attacks, making sure we provide greater incentives for young people to be in the system so that we have a greater pool. there are any number of things that can be done on a bipartisan basis and that's where i would like to see the skull, making
10:53 am
sure that people like me with pre-existing conditions are able to get affordable health care the end of the day. >> chris: 20 seconds. become doing nothing and seeing this collapse, make no mistake about it, chris, they will be blamed, they control everything. if it collapses and people are worse off, at least as big a problem -- coast being what it that mitch mcconnell said if we can't pass repeal and replace we will have to work with democrats to try and fix it. up next, our "power player of the week," one of america's greatest dancers retires and brings her next act to washington.
10:54 am
10:55 am
>> chris: it happens to all of us, that point in your career when it's time to move on. as we told you last fall, one of america's most celebrated dancers is now onto her next chapter and she's our "power player of the week" ." >> leaving the stage was traumatic, heartbreaking. one of the most difficult, wonderful things i've experienced in my life. >> chris: julie is talking about the moment in 2015 when she decided to retire after 30 years as a star of the american ballet theater. at age 45 she could feel her
10:56 am
skills declining and there was another. >> at the end of the day when derek jeter retired i guess i figured i had to go, too. >> chris: [laughs] true! >> they were my guys, if they are not going to play, i guess i can either. >> chris: the question was what to do next. the washington valley asked it to its artistic director. >> as i said to some of the dancers, the next best thing to creating beautiful art is watching it. >> chris: she now spends hours in the studios helping dancers realize their dreams just as she did. >> its home. the bar, the mirror, the floors, the piano, it's just home. >> chris: she wants to expand the company and its repertoire of ballets. >> my goals are to take this company to a place where it
10:57 am
happened, hasn't been before. >> chris: the washington school of ballet, it has more than 1,000 students. >> is not a concern of yours that they not translate into being a great teacher? >> i always say to them i don't want you to do what you think i would do because i would really rather do it myself. i want to see what you are going to do. i have no memories in life before dance. >> chris: she started dancing as a trial. at age ten her first professional performance was alongside a master. >> to be this close, sharing a wing, it was incredible. >> chris: she would go on to be one of the most celebrated tensors of her generation. how is it to be named prima ballerina? fun, glamorous, or just hard work? >> it's everything. >> chris: while she is now retired, she doesn't close the
10:58 am
door entirely on the possible encore. will you perform with a company? >> that's not on the plan. if it made sense for me to perform, i'm a very logical person as far as message. if it makes sense then it makes sense. >> chris: julie kent understands after 30 years in the spotlight she has taken on a new role. >> i loved it. i still love it. i would still do it if i felt like it was the right thing to be doing, but you have to give the light to the next generatio generation. >> chris: kent is busy this summer preparing for her second season with the company, but she has yet to return to the state herself. that's it for today, have a great week, we will see you next ♪
10:59 am
[brother] any last words? [boy] karma, danny... ...karma! [vo] progress is seizing the moment. your summer moment awaits you, now that the summer of audi sales event is here. audi will cover your first month's lease payment on select models during the summer of audi sales event.
11:00 am
se, the number one anti-aging body treatment system for crepey skin! (male announcer) that can deliver stunning results on your arms, your legs, your hands, your chest, and even your neck! (female announcer) featuring legendary actress and crepe erase success story, jane seymour! (soft music) crepey skin makes me feel...old. (cindy) i am really sick of looking down and wondering what happened to me. (belinda) i feel like i'm missing out on life because of my skin. i want a change. hi, i'm jane seymour. have you ever had a moment in your life when you find something that changes everything?

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on