Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  October 7, 2018 6:00am-7:01am PDT

6:00 am
>> chris: i'm chris wallace. president trumpets a second justice on the supreme court as the senate votes to confirm brett kavanaugh. >> the isa 50, the names are 48. >> president trump: just a few hours ago, the u.s. senate confirmed judge brett kavanaugh to the supreme court. >> chris: will discuss what kavanaugh's conversation means for the court, congress, and the country. the senate majority leader mitch mcconnell, and we'll talk about the bitter politics behind the bug. >> truly, judge kavanaugh's confirmation is a low moment for the senate, for the court, for
6:01 am
the country. it has >> chris: with two top senators, republican lindsey graham and democrat. then with just 30 days until the midterm elections, with a g.o.p. victory in the court fight work against them in november? >> you don't hand matches to an arsonist, and you don't give power to an angry left-wing mob. >> chris: we will ask rnc chair, it's a "fox news sunday" exclusive, plus our sunday panel on whether the kavanaugh panel has finally bonded president trump in the republican party. all right now now on "fox news sunday" ." and hello again from fox news in washington. after weeks of shocking accusations of allowed protests, and hardball politics, judge kavanaugh is now just as kavanaugh. the senate confirmed him by a
6:02 am
50-48 almost straight party line vote. if kavanaugh is expected to take his place on the supreme court tuesday, cementing a solid 5-4 conservative majority. kavanaugh's confirmation is expected to shift the balance of power on the court for a generation and it is certain to influence midterm elections that are now just 30 days away. in a moment, we will speak with senate majority leader mitch mcconnell, but first, let's bring in fox news correspondent kevin corke with the latest. >> the nomination of brett m kavanaugh of maryland to be an associate justice of the supreme court of the united states is confirmed. >> just as brett kavanaugh's road to the supreme court is more than the culmination of years of hard work and months of political imaginations, its bond resistance moments on both ends of the political spectrum. resist trump and resist mob rul
6:03 am
rule. from the halls of congress to the steps of the capital, to the shadow of the high court itself, protests reverberated across washington. in the end, it was a success the man who replaces on the court, and sweet victory after a long bitter battle. >> i want to thank our incredible republican senators for refusing to back down in the face of the democrat shameless campaign of political and personal destruction. >> amid the finality, bruising contrast of victory and defeat, a divided america and the promise more battles to come. >> so to americans, so many millions who are outraged by what happened here, there is one answer, vote. >> monday 7:00 p.m., the president will welcome just as kavanaugh for swearing an event, then tuesday morning, it is off
6:04 am
to work, his first day as an associate justice of the u.s. supreme court. in >> chris: kevin corke reporting from the white house, things for that. joining me now from louisville, kentucky, senate majority leader mitch mcconnell. senator, you have called putting conservative justices on the court, conservative judges at all levels of the court, the most consequential action that you can take in your role. i want to put up with the record is under president rouhani with you as majority leader to supreme court justices have been confirmed and 26 judges have been put on the circuit courts. that's the fastest pace in history. question, as is your proudest moment as a senator? >> i think so. i think the most important thing the senate is involved in is the personnel business. the house is not in the personnel business. and of the various 1200 appointments who come to us for confirmation, obviously the most
6:05 am
important are the lifetime appointments to the courts and we prioritize handling president trump's outstanding nominees for the supreme court as well as the circuit courts and we've done 26 so far as you indicated, record and they'll be more before the end of the year. >> chris: some hard right conservatives have criticized you over the year as to establishment, but now they are lining up to praise you for ramming through the kavanaugh nomination and even the likes of steve bannon has praised what he called strong leadership. are you happy to have his approval sir? >> is almost an out-of-body experience, i must say. >> chris: how do take this criticism that the tea party, the far right of the republican party has had a view over the years has he been trying to do your business up on capitol hill? >> at witty hard to to be majoy
6:06 am
leader, i think this is an extraordinarily accomplished congress, the most productive two year period in the time i've been in the senate whether it's taxes, regulations. we got the economy booming and we are making long-term systemic changes in the courts that will serve future generations of americans in a very good way. >> chris: i know there have been some bipartisan accomplishments as well. you voted on an faa bill in this last week, you also did a big bill to fight the opioid crisis, but there's no question that this kavanaugh confirmation battle has come at a cost that just the relations between republican senators and democratic senators seem to have taken a downturn. here is democratic senator -- democratic leader chuck schumer on the floor this week talking about and criticizing you for
6:07 am
delaying them after what he said was your ten month delay in blocking the nomination of merrick garland from president obama. >> no american should accept his admonishments about delay. he's the master of delay. compared to ten months, leaving his seat open, who are we kidding? >> chris: how broken is the senate? >> the senate is not broken. we didn't attack merrick garland's background and try to destroy him. we didn't go on a search and destroy mission, we simply follow the tradition in america which is if you have a party of a different senate come of a different party, then the president then you don't fill a vacancy created in the presidential year. is that when all the way back to 1888. schumer himself said 18 months before the end of the bush tenure that if a vacancy occurred, they would fill it. so what we did was follow tradition. but we didn't attack the nominee, we didn't go on a search and destroy mission.
6:08 am
i agree with chuck schumer, this has been a low point in the senate. i have a different view about who caused the low point. senate judiciary democrats linking dr. ford's name against her desires, then trying to lower the standard and say that the presumption of innocence no longer applies in the united states of america and then the mob descended on capitol hill and try to intimidate our members into opposing this good man nomination. we stood up to the mob moby established the presumption of innocence is so important. i'm proud of my colleagues, this is an important day for the united states senate. >> chris: i have to pick up on something but when you blocked merrick garland's nomination from president obama, you basically said that we don't do this in a presidential election year and that we wait until the election and then whoever the
6:09 am
people choose, they get to pick the supreme court nominee but what you just said now but it's a question of whether or not it's the party in control of the senate is different than the president. the question i guess i'm getting to is, if donald trump were to name somebody in the final year of his first term in 2020, are you saying that you would go ahead with that nomination? >> i understand your question of what i told you is what the history of the senate has been coming up to go back to 1880 to find the last time a vacancy created in a presidential election year on the supreme court was confirmed by a senate of a different party than the president. >> chris: if you can answer my direct question. >> will see if there's a vacancy in 2020. >> chris: but you're not ruling out the possibility since you're the republican majority leader and there's a republican
6:10 am
president that you would go for and push the nomination of a trump nominee in the election year. >> what i'm telling you is, the history is coming up to go back to 1880 defined the last time senate controlled party different from the president filled a vacancy on the supreme court that was created in the middle of a presidential election year. that's been the history. >> chris: final question. in the alabama senate race last year, he very quickly said after judge roy moore was accused of inappropriate conduct towards teenagers many years ago and you said you believe the women, why didn't you believe christine ford? >> i can't imagine comparing brett kavanaugh to roy moore. >> chris: the comparison -- i'm not comparing them. i'm comparing the fact --
6:11 am
>> multiple witnesses come over and over kept popping up. here we had an fbi investigation and three members of our conference who were undecided, took a look at the fbi investigation and two of the three decided to confirm judge kavanaugh. >> chris: the only point i'd make, not trying to get into an argument with you, as you oppose the fbi investigation. >> no, i didn't. it was negotiated in my office. we agreed on the parameters of the fbi investigation in a meeting in my office a week ago, that was the scope of the fbi investigation. we agreed it would go on for a week and we agreed we would talk to the people that dr. ford had mentioned and the people that ramirez had mentioned and that the investigation that was done and our members who were undecided took a look at the report and 2 out of 3 of them decided to support the nominee.
6:12 am
but chris, i think it's outrageous to compare brett kavanaugh to roy moore. speak what i didn't do so, simply comparing the fact that in one case, you believe the accusers in another case, you didn't. not comparing judge roy moore and brett kavanaugh. >> good, because there is no comparison. we went on that word, great, thank you for your time today and congratulations. now joining us here in washington, a key republican onn the senate judiciary committee, lindsey graham. senator, i hesitate to get into this after my conversation with mitch mcconnell, i think of you generally as a happy political warrior, but i've got to say over the last couple of weeks, you have seemed angry. i guess i'm questioning what has gotten so much under your skin? i wanted to take a look at lindsey graham over the last couple of weeks, here you are. >> this is the most unethical sham since i've been in politic politics. i thought she was handled
6:13 am
respectfully. i thought kavanaugh was treated like. well boo yourselves. >> chris: now you seem happy, but why have you been an unhappy warrior these last couple of weeks? >> i'm happy because the effort to ameliorate and railroad a man i've known for 20 years has never been banned from a mall unlike roy moore failed. if i am that those who try to destroy his life fell short, i'm glad that those who try to overturn the rule of law and replace it with mob rule lost. i've never been more pissed in my life, this is character assassination, this is wanting power too much. to the extent that i came to the age of this good man and help defeat this debacle i am happy as a clam. >> chris: let me tell you something that may not make you happier bring it up because it appears that the kavanaugh confirmation is not going to end this fight.
6:14 am
democratic congressman jerry nadler of new york who would if the democrats take the house become the house judiciary chairman is already talked about launching an investigation into alleged misconduct by kavanaugh. nancy pelosi says she wants to see the fbi interviews and the second background check. he doesn't sound like this is going to end. >> we will know in november of that make sense. i hope everyone running for the house in these triple districts will be asked the question do you support impeaching judge kavanaugh based on five allegations, none of which could be corroborated? you want an outcome so badly that you would basically turn the law upside down? all i can say is this is going to the streets at the ballot bo box. i've never campaigned against a colleague in my life. that's about to change. i'm going to go throughout this country to let people in these purple states, red states were trump won know what i thought,
6:15 am
know what i think about this process. >> chris: we were talking before i came on the air and i see you have a list of all the people that the president or on the list for potential nominees. >> here's my point. this is a list that was compiled in november, but he actually put it out during the campaign. twentysomething people on this list, asking chuck schumer, name five, name three, name one that would be okay with you. brett kavanaugh was a mainstream judge. i would've chosen if i had been president, everybody running for president on our side believe that brett kavanaugh and neil gorsuch were outstanding conservative jurists. the other side wants to cancel the election. so if you want someone new? look at this list and see anybody you agree to but what you want to do senator schumer is to overturn the election. we are not going to let you pick the judges. if you want to pick judges, then you need to win the white house.
6:16 am
when obama won that, i voted for two judges that he picked. so chuck schumer, name one person on this list you think is acceptable. >> chris: there was a tough call them "the new york times" today that attacks you. how much to put some of it up. rights i can't think of another republican whose journey from anti-trump outrage to pro trump obsequious and is was quite so illogical or half as sad, and he suggest that you are auditioning to replace jeff sessions as attorney general. your response? >> frank, you don't know what you're talking about. it's a noble cause to destroy a judicial candidate who is conservative. whether it be thomas, now kavanaugh. i am bipartisan when it makes sense. i try to have a good disposition because i like my job, but don't mistake that i don't care about the conservative, so if i made you upset because i would not legitimize mccarthyism, then
6:17 am
good, and i think i can survive in south carolina? >> chris: always good to talk with you and i'm glad to see you in a good mood. is it true that you're going for all this talk about obsequious and is, are you going to go play golf with the president today? >> this third term thing is looking better and better. hope you win, you're a good man. >> chris: all right, now we want to hear from the other side. democratic senator ben cardin joins us, like all of his democratic colleagues, he voted against brett kavanaugh's confirmation. welcome to fox news sunday and i apologize for him. >> it's good to be with you, we work on many issues together. we certainly disagree on this one. >> chris: let start with the bottom line, what impact do you think justice kavanaugh will
6:18 am
have on the supreme court, how dramatically, drastically will he move it to the right? >> this is just as kennedy's seat and he was a balancing factor of the supreme court. we are very concerned about protecting the progress we've made on health care issues, on women's constitutional rights, on protecting the mueller investigations of all those issues we think are at risk and is going to put more interest on the congress of the united states to protect health care protect women's rights, and protect that no one is above the law. >> chris: does in a president -- getting back to kavanaugh. it doesn't a president deserve deference when he chooses a justice for the supreme court as long as that person is in the judicial mainstream? i think we all agree that he is certainly to the right side, but he's in the judicial mainstream. the fact is, democratic presidents are going to appoint liberals and republican presidents are going to appoint
6:19 am
conservatives. as senator graham said, president trump won, this was an issue in the campaign, doesn't he deserve deference when he picked the conservative justice? >> i don't believe that he is in the mainstream of judicial thought. there's a trend. everyone of those decisions were he was in the minority were he was the deciding vote, it was on behalf of special interests in behalf of the powerful against the individual, consumer cases, environmental cases, labor cases, one after another and then his his response to dr. dr. ford showed that he was not but i didn't have the judicial temperament and he wasn't impartial, he was partisan. i think those issues really came out during this process and it does concern is as to whether he will be an independent voice on the supreme court and the checks and balance in our system. >> chris: senator graham pointed out that he had a list of the 25 and 26 judges that are all members of the courts of appeals, state supreme court's. i'm not asking you, but my guess
6:20 am
is that you and chuck schumer and a lot of democrats would say not a single person on that list is a member of the additional mainstream. >> the way it should go, the way that former presidents have done, they developed a list, not an outside group. they the ones who developed the list, and yes, they do talk to the members of the senate before they make the nomination and try to narrow the list to one that will be more acceptable among the united states senators. that's how the process. when barack obama was president, he talked about democrats and republicans before he made his announcements. that's the way the process should go. you don't take an outside list by an outside group. >> chris: haven't republicans been less political about supreme court nominations, want to put some statistics up on the screen. democratic nominees have gotten since bill clinton, these are the democrats appointed, now
6:21 am
take a look at the republican nominees by bush 43 and now president trump was 78 to kavanaugh with 50. senate democrats have been much less likely to cross the aisle and vote for a republican nominee and republicans have been to vote for democratic nominee. >> even though some of those were below 60, the filibuster was not used until a judge course exchange the number from 60 to 50. that put us in different quarters so the change that senator mcconnell made to rules of the supreme court really caused us to be much more partisan than this. >> chris: but in fairness, you guys did at first not for the supreme court but for lower court judges. >> i agree, we could go back and forth, the republicans blocked president obama for putting anyone on the court of appeals. so we do a back and forth here. my point is this. we need to have a president who will consult with congress of
6:22 am
the united states senate before he makes is nominations, have an open process for considering nominees, not restrict himself to the federal society. >> chris: final question, how big of an issue do things will be in the midterms if democrats have already been mobilized, republicans are saying you gave him a political gift by her opposition and that this is going to energize republicans. >> i think is going to boil down to our concerns about the games we made in health care on pre-existing conditions, concerned about the mueller investigation being interfered with. i think constitutional right of women, those issues are going to be on the ballot in the midterm and judge kavanaugh underscores those issues. >> chris: thank you, thanks for coming and always a pleasure to talk to you. up next, kavanaugh's confirmation is a big victory for conservatives but will there be a lasting cost to congress on the court? will bring in our sunday group to discuss the fallout next. yon.
6:23 am
yon. beyond chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget. beyond having questions. to getting answers. "activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast. every road in the world is now an information superhighway. and the car has become an accessory to the smartphone. ride hailing, car sharing carpooling... mobility services are proliferating. and there's a new generation who don't seem to want to own cars in the first place. it all means massive disruption to the car industry, cities, businesses and investors. ♪
6:24 am
who transition out of the u.s. formilitary every year...ers ...one of the toughest parts is the search for a job that takes advantage of the skills you've gained while serving. you can now search with the phrase 'jobs for veterans' directly on google... ...and then enter your military occupational specialty code. google brings together job openings from across the web that match the skills you gained in your military role. just click to apply and use your experience to guide your future.
6:25 am
>> i stand before you today on the heels of a tremendous victory for our nation, our people, and our beloved constitution. >> chris: president jump at a rally last night in kansas reacting to the hard-fought confirmation of brett kavanaugh to the supreme court. it's time now for our sunday group, and under mitch mcconnell's former chief of staff and now a g.o.p. strategist, columnist for the hill juan williams, the cohost of vincent and hearth on a fox news, marie harf and fox news politics editor chris stirewalt, editor of the new book every man a king.
6:26 am
so as a former chief of staff or mitch mcconnell, how determined was he to get this nomination through, how disturbed he was he by the ugly turn it took in the last couple of weeks? >> i think we have learned for the 10,000th time of the last ten years that you'd better pack a lunch if you're going to come up mitch mcconnell when it comes to a senate battle and i think once again demonstrated his resolve in uniting his conference and making sure they got to the end of what was an incredibly ugly process. >> chris: the accusations by women, to what degree do you think -- it seemed to be a fairly routine, tough, but fairly routine confirmation until that point and that must've been tough for everybody on both sides. >> unprecedented in a lot of ways. i think the thing that was most disturbing to republican senators is to watch the presumption of innocence completely evaporate before our eyes in the context of the senate judiciary committee, all
6:27 am
of a sudden allegations however serious they might be without any kind of corroboration were beginning to carry the day and i think from his point of view and from lindsey graham, what they tried to do was get to the information, provide the information, make sure that every senator had an opportunity to not only review the fbi report but all of the testimonial letters that came in and eventually, they would come to the conclusion that judge kavanaugh should be just as kavanaugh. >> chris: and other democrats are going to do their best to link the events of this week in the last few weeks to the me too movement is a is another demonstration of republicans hostility towards women. i want to play a clip from the deciding vote on this issue, and that was a woman, republican senator susan collins of maine, he or she is. >> the allegations failed to be the more likely than not standard. therefore, i do not believe that
6:28 am
these charges can fairly prevent judge kavanaugh from serving on the court. >> chris: what are republicans supposed to do when the fbi does this background check and fails to come up with a single piece of evidence to corroborate dr. ford's story, what are they supposed to do? >> what you hear from democrats as it became clear over the past week, particularly since the hearing that everything since that hearing, the fbi investigation, who they were allowed to actually speak to, the fact that they didn't reinterview brett kavanaugh or christine forward, it became clear to many people that this appeared to be a box checking exercise, it was a fig leaf designed to provide legitimacy for a predetermined outcome. >> chris: everyone that christine ford had put near that house that night and other people who weren't at the house that night but -- yes, they say she didn't talk to people she
6:29 am
had talked to on the beach 20 years later but in terms of anybody what a contemporary cos account. >> i will say everything you and i are talking about right now, they didn't do. so to many people who already believe the republican party has a problem with women, this exercise, this investigation to them will look like it was just designed to get a preordained outcome and it's what's been said since then, donald trump making fun of christine ford, orrin hatch, he will listen to them when they grow out. this is a pattern, this anger has been building for two years since donald trump was elected. me too started a year ago on friday. it is not just about the supreme court. this is about the broader cultural moment we are living in and a lot of people feeling like the republican party quite friendly doesn't care about women. that's the argument democrats
6:30 am
are going to make, i think. >> i think this is brutish politics, i agree with marie. the fbi probe was a sham. it was a white wash and i think most people understand that the constraints were put in place by the white house. this was a thoroughly political process. i think the damage here is so many american institutions we are past the point, obviously he is confirmed, they did this in a rush yesterday and there's more to come and they want to make sure that he is already in place. the key here is the damage we have seen, damaged our intelligence institutions, to the fbi. the supreme court now is damaged in a lasting way. >> chris: we want to play well with others there. go ahead. >> this is going to intensify voters on both ends of the spectrum. this has turned up the volume and what was already a very intense, very embittered.
6:31 am
>> chris: look at the politics in the next segment, would you think about the argument of this was a sham, the fbi investigation? >> you know you're in washington when when week the republicans tell you that the fbi is a rotten corrupt institution that should not be listen to and the democrats say they are the saviors of our republic and you wait a week and they switch lanes in the white house has turned around and loves the fbi and democrats say they stink. so i don't put too much stock in that because those are situational opinions and attitudes that are going to show for the next controversy. >> there's one thing that we need to clear up here because democrats have just sort of reappropriated facts and houses fbi investigation came to be. and what happened when senator flake decided along with senator that they needed interviews that were before the senate judiciary committee in order to have a more full decision. when they went to leader mcconnell and sat down and talked about what that fbi investigation might look like, it wasn't donald trump who is dictating the terms of the fbi
6:32 am
investigation. in fact, it was the senators who still had an open mind about the nomination. they are the ones that dictated the terms. >> chris: let's let marie respond. >> and you effect that the fact of the two key people weren't re-interviewed, there were numerous people who gave information and were never contacted by the fbi? that left lingering questions. >> is a talking point. >> as someone who tried to look at is fairly, i don't think it's ever talking point. i've heard from republicans why was hillary clinton interviewed so late in the fbi? why wasn't she under oath? they didn't even interview judge kavanaugh. >> the simple matter is, the way this works under penalty of perjury weather with the senate to chair a committee or the fbi, an interview is an interview is an interview and we had three plus hours of judge kavanaugh. three plus hours of dr. ford. >> not by investigators, not by fbi trained investigators. >> that is a same thing you get in an fbi investigation paid >>
6:33 am
it's not. >> the idea that we don't know what each person's take was on the situation after all of this only underscores. >> chris: i'm glad we have settled this and now is the time. >> is happening out there right now. >> chris: will talk about the politics, bring you back a little bit later to talk about this. up next, we'll discuss the political fallout from the kavanaugh confirmation and how it will shape the vote in the november midterm, now just 30 days away. republican party chair joins us next. an old friend. a new beginning. some welcome relief... or a cause for celebration. ♪ what's inside? ♪ [laughter] possibilities. what we deliver by delivering.
6:34 am
♪ can i get some help. watch his head. ♪ i'm so happy. ♪ whatever they went through, they went through together. welcome guys. life well planned. see what a raymond james financial advisor can do for you. >> chris: will ask the head of the rns see just how much brett kavanaugh's confirmation
6:35 am
6:36 am
6:37 am
>> chris: with just one month until the midterms, democrats still hope for a blue wave while republicans feel more optimistic about keeping control of both houses of congress. but just how big a kavanaugh bump what we see in november? joined me now, revoke and party chair, welcome back to fox news sunday. we should note that we invited dnc chair tom perez to join us as well and he declined. but we are very happy to have you here. the fight over the kavanaugh confirmation seems to have energized republican voters. i want to take a look at a pole. let's put it up. in a poll in july, 78% of democrats at the november elections are "very important compared to 68% of republicans but in a new poll, that ten-point intensity or enthusiasm gap has now gone up to two points, 82% for democrats, 80% for republicans.
6:38 am
what is it about the kavanaugh confirmation process that you think has mobilized your voters? >> i think it's been a culmination of things. the democrats have doubled down on resist and obstruct, but the protest, the interruptions during the hearings, now with this smear campaign of judge kavanaugh going back towards the 11th hour. i think republicans have woken up and said it's a very clear choice, do we want resist, obstruct, delay, dysfunction in washington and also seeing the results, 3.7% unemployment, 4 million new jobs in this country. it was a pretty clear choice between which party is delivering and which party is obstructing. >> chris: some analysts say this new energy, what senator mcconnell called the case will help you more in senate races and state races, then it will in house raises particularly in suburban
6:39 am
districts. but this up on the screen, and a recent quinnipiac poll when voters were asked the generic ballot question of who you back in your house district, 49% said the democratic candidate while 42% said the republican, so it still plus seven the democrats. it is the kavanaugh bump, if there is any, playing differently in house and senate races? >> it's not come as helping across the board in house and senate races. if that generic ballot has narrowed, now it's at seven. i'm looking at every race across the country. you've got 30 within the margin of error, certainly district were hillary clinton won will be have republican incumbents, our job is to try out our base first. the kavanaugh hearings have just highlighted how important this election is for them. >> chris: but in house races, we also see a big gender gap and again, was put up the numbers, men favor republicans to control congress by three points, 47% to
6:40 am
44 but women vote the democratic candidates to control congress by 25 points, 58% to 33. and won't the kavanaugh republicans cited with the mail accused over the female accuser only add to that gender gap? >> republicans cited with due process and the rule of law and the presumption of innocence, had nothing to do with male versus female. they said this is our standard for a country, dr. ford did not produce any evidence that added to her allegations, nobody that she named at that party has backed up that story and republicans have said we are not going to change the way we conduct the law in this country. suburban white women, which i happen to be one of them, educated women, we looked at that and said we agree with due process and i was at a beauty salon right after the kavanaugh hearings in suburban detroit where i live in every woman was talking about it and they agreed with the importance >> chris: every poll shows that there is a gender gap. >> there is, and there was in
6:41 am
2016 with women especially college-educated women. i'm going to these trump rallies. i've noticed in the past three, more women are showing up than men. we have seen in insurgents of new online donors coming from women and men. we have to do our work with women, but democrats treat women as single issue voters. we treat women as the whole voter. they care about health care, they care about the economy. they recognize a 4 million jobs have come back to this country. >> chris: at 25-point gap between how women view democrats versus republicans is there just being full by the democrats and blue with a single issue be? >> a single issue is abortion rights. they tried to mobilize women by saying women are going to die, and is a type of hyperbole and rhetoric they're putting forward. susan collins highlighted that in the speech. they want to make it about abortion rights. we are talking about the
6:42 am
economy, health care, results that are happening that are making people's lives better. unemployment at a record low. women are whole issue voters. >> chris: then there is president trump who this week went after christine ford had a rally. let's listen to some of that. >> i had one beer. nope, it was one beer. good. how did you get home? i don't remember. how did you get there? i don't remember. there was a place? you don't remember. how many years ago was it? i don't remember. >> chris: do you think that's helpful with suburban republican women? >> i was with the president that day and it was more about the media. the media was printing stories about brett kavanaugh. if the media was focusing on an ice fight with brett kavanaugh. they were focusing on everything he had done as a 16 and 17-year-old boy and not being fair about recognizing the inconsistencies in her test and nonie and to say she doesn't know where it was and who was
6:43 am
there or who drove her home, that is fair. and why did the media give that the same attention that they gave to brett kavanaugh as they destroy his character? >> chris: even without the kavanaugh confirmation which is obviously a big victory for the president, this was one of the best weeks of the trump presidency. he finalized a big trade deal with mexico and canada and we also saw those unemployment numbers come out on friday, 3.7%, the lowest since 1969. he is the economy still the strongest issue you have going into these midterms? >> we will be putting in a choice to voters. are you better off than you were two years ago? are jobs coming back to this country? is our military being the funded? 's ice is on the run? all those things we can say yes because republicans have delivered results. democrats are running on resist and obstruct. they want to bring more dysfunction, already talking about more hearings they want to put in place if they get the house, impeachment hearings.
6:44 am
as a very clear choice for voters and i think the economy is the driving factor that will help us keep the majority. >> chris: thank you, thanks for your time especially during his very busy homestretch of the campaign. when we come back, will the president string of wins this week translate to victory november? plus, what would you like to ask the panel about the impact the supreme court battle will have on the midterms? just go to facebook or twitter and we may use your question on the air. great question. see, for a full service brokerage like ours, that's tough to do. schwab does it. next question. do you offer a satisfaction guarantee? a what now? a satisfaction guarantee. like schwab does. man: (scoffing) what are you teaching these kids? ask your broker if they offer award-winning full service and low costs, backed by a satisfaction guarantee. if you don't like their answer, ask again at schwab.
6:45 am
6:46 am
6:47 am
>> you don't hand matches to an arsonist, and you don't give power to an angry left wing mob, and that's what they've become. >> chris: president trump's
6:48 am
political rally cry after the confirmation of his second supreme court justice, now just one month before the midterms. we are back with the panel. we ask you for questions for the panel and we got this on twitter from greg, who tweets "will the controversy provoked republican voters to turn out in greater numbers than anticipated? how do you answer greg? has the kavanaugh fight energized republicans and is this something that you think has staying power, will last for weeks? >> we should point out, you share the numbers with chairwoman mcdaniel which is republican intensity has come to meet democrats. but not because democrats went down. everybody is up, all the numbers are up. if the intensity is huge but i will put it this way, the gift of this is there is a division within the republican party between conservatives who were maybe not trump voters, trump skeptic at least ten trumps populist base who voted for him in spite of him being a republican, not because he was
6:49 am
one. the coalition was frayed. they agree on this one because the conservatives care the most about the supreme court than any other issue that they have. we started 2016 but on the other side quite significantly, this became a social issue because of the ground over which it was fought. his reactionary cultural warrior supporters come into the space. >> chris: and trump world, 30 days is an eternity. 400 new cycles, does this last? >> some of it last no matter what but the question is, we've got all of the unknown unknowns that are going to come between here and there in a release to russia and up a jillion other things i could come to bear on this. so i will refrain from speculation. >> chris: given the fact that democrats were clearly already mobilized, a lot of them in their opposition to president trump, if it does energize the republican voters and conservative voters, is this a net plus the republicans? >> in the short run, your point is well taken, we don't know if
6:50 am
this is a pace between now and election day but i would say in specifics given the white male dominance in the g.o.p. base, there has been the outpouring of all the language that we've seen about making judgments proving guilty before anybody has introduced convincing evidence of that kind of thing even those would not putting a man on the high court. but i think looking at the numbers that you put up, you can see that it alienated a lot of white women, republicans and independents and that's why you see the gap that was displayed in those numbers. so you're looking at the races, you talk about races in suburban districts outside of major metropolitan areas, many of them that went for hillary clinton but have a republican house member. you put those in greater danger, separate situation with regard to the state races because so many races at the moment in this 2018 cycle are red state where the democrats are trying to defend and i think you're going to have more problems there of
6:51 am
all it's telling that joe donnelly of indiana, heidi heitkamp and others decided they were going to vote against kavanaugh. >> chris: let me turn to you. and what about this analysis and want just refer to it that is going to play differently and statewide senate races and a dozen much more localized house races and that it will benefit particular given the fact that the republicans have so few democrats in so many of them are in republican red states but it could help a lot in the senate races but could hurt in those key swing suburban districts that now have a republican congress. >> i think there's a danger of over analyzing based on data we don't know. what we do know is that republicans have been absolutely set on fire by this. we also know that democrats have basically the best political environment and the generation before they decided to hand the microphone to spartacus for the closing argument here. now we find ourselves past
6:52 am
kavanaugh, these red states like indiana, north dakota, missouri west virginia in particular and huge danger. joe manchin may have done himself a favor but the rest of these are insignificant danger. hope we don't know is whether those republican voters who supported republicans in 12, 14, and 60 will be there in suburban america which republicans have had a problem with. but we also don't know that women or monolithic voting bloc here. i think some of the data has shown that suburban women she was very, very different than democrats would like them to. >> chris: do you agree with that? >> is a little too early to tell but what i do know is those suburban women have been really moving away from the republican party because of president trump in his actions and his comments. in the next 30 days, there are a lot of things we don't know, but i can guarantee that president trump will likely say things that offend many people particularly on the left that remind many independents and
6:53 am
republican women why they were uncomfortable with him and a lot of this kumbaya because he can get out of his own way. i do think the republican party should recognize this is bigger than kavanaugh. democrats have been on fire for two years. in democrats mind the latest in a pattern of not taking women seriously and is the argument they're going to make come in at about the supreme court, going to be about the overall message. >> i think the x factor is increasing democratic voter registration and it's very high in its continued. republicans are unable to run on repeal of obamacare, unable to run on building a border wall or reducing the deficit. i think you look at a lot of these districts going back to pennsylvania, with the alabama senate race and you see that the dynamic is this is a referendum on trump and republicans had little before kavanaugh to fire up the base. we've seen them fired up now, doesn't last. >> chris: one of the things is
6:54 am
that the democrats have so overplayed their hand and it will continue to overplay it, they can talk and you are the president say that, they want to talk about impeaching him, they want to talk about impeaching brett kavanaugh, the potential has judiciary chairman talking about launching an investigation. they can run against putting these guys in charge and that's with the president was saying, that it's a mob and you don't give the match to the arsonist. >> that's what i've been saying for months and months of the best thing for donald trump 2020 reelection is for republicans to lose the house by a small majority to democrats because this is where trump is at his performative best when he is fighting viciously and brutally with the other side. >> chris: winning an argument for him to prevent, will that work in the selection? >> it will help him in the senate. the reality is just on its face, is too soon to say but on its face, it looks like this. it's helpful for republicans in the senate because as he pointed
6:55 am
out, it's a historically heinous map for democrats but in the house, probably helpful for democrats because of where the districts this is being contested. >> chris: what about the argument that you hear some republicans make that democrats overplayed their hand in this case and that it has created a backlash and that that is going to hurt the democrats? >> i think democrats need to be careful about that. i agree that we should get this over with quickly because we didn't have the vote and is not a winning argument for us when it comes to the ballot box. democrats should vote on judicial issues the same way republicans do. i think the way that they are auditioning for 2020, the need to stay focused on 2018, getting the majority back and i do think that my party needs to be careful not to go overplay, not to play to the cameras, to focus on winning elections in the house, there's been more of that. the senate has been more crazy when it comes to people preening for the cameras and not focused
6:56 am
on politics. listen to all that agreement you just got. >> chris: one quick question because we are about to run out of time, does the presidential race for 2020 start the day after the selection? >> it's already started. >> chris: see you next sunday and will be right back with the final word. that takes advantage of the skills you've gained while serving. you can now search with the phrase 'jobs for veterans' directly on google... ...and then enter your military occupational specialty code. google brings together job openings from across the web that match the skills you gained in your military role. just click to apply and use your experience to guide your future. yand you want to getr an excellent price you'd think with all these options it would be easy. but with terms like
6:57 am
msrp, invoice, list price, things get confusing pretty fast. you just want to get a real price and that's where true car comes in. only with true car can you see what other people paid for the car you want and you can connect with certified dealers who offer prices based on this same information. none of those other sites do that. from end to end, true car is your only one stop solution. comcast business built the nation's largest gig-speed network. then went beyond. beyond chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget. beyond having questions. to getting answers. "activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast.
6:58 am
>> chris: for the latest on brett kavanaugh taking his seat on the supreme court and all the political fallout, please stay tuned to the station on fox news channel and that's it for today, have a great week and we will see you next, "fox news sunday" ."
6:59 am
7:00 am
welcome to "mornings on 2". it is sunday, october 7th. a red flag warning is in effect from the north mountains to the east bay hills. >> we will hear how firefighters are preparing for the fire risks due to the dry condition. plus, justice brett kavanaugh is sworn into the bay area supreme cour >> yes, that and how people in the bay area are reacting. good morning and a check of our weather. yes. we have breezy had beens out there. a live look at san

51 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on