Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  March 31, 2019 10:00am-11:01am PDT

10:00 am
>> chris: i'm chris wallace. congress will get to see the mueller report within two weeks as president trump continues to celebrate the special counsel's findings. ♪ >> after three years of lies and smears and slander, the russia hoax is finally dead. >> chris: but how much of the almost 400 page report will attorney general william barr release? >> show was the report and we can draw our own conclusions. >> chris: we will discuss the president's victory lap and a sharp turn back to health care. >> we are going to get rid of obamacare. the republican party will become a party of great health care. >> chris: with white house counsel or kellyanne conway,
10:01 am
only on "fox news sunday." then, democrats wrestled with what to do next. >> we need to look and investigate possibly into these impeachable offenses. >> protecting people with pre-existing conditions, increased pay at a real infrastructure plan, that's what house democrats are focused on. >> chris: we will break down warehouse democrats stand in the post-mueller-report world and get reaction to the attorney general's plan to release the port from congressman jim himes, a top member of the house intelligence committee. plus. >> 401(k)s, all the things you want to see -- put a good socialist in this position. >> chris: we will ask our sunday panel by the president's strategy to take apart the 2020 democratic field. all right now on "fox news sunday." and hello again from fox news in washington. we now know attorney general william barr's timeline to release the mueller report on the russia investigation.
10:02 am
the ag says he will send a redacted copy to congress by mid-april and won't share it with the white house beforehand. but house democrats say their deadline still stands to get the report by this tuesday in the plan does not satisfy their demand to see the full report. joining us now for an exclusive interview, white house counselor kellyanne conway. welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> kellyanne: thank you, chris. >> chris: will get to the mueller report in a moment. but we will start with a fast-moving political story. it involves a woman named lucy florez. she was a state legislator in nevada who was running for lieutenant general in 2014. she says that during a rally, the real you are seeing here but off-camera that then vice president joe biden touched her inappropriately. biden's staff says he doesn't remember it that way. this morning, here's what lucy florez said to abc news.
10:03 am
>> at that point it wasn't even joe biden, it was the second most powerful man in the country, the vice president of the united states of america is touching me and smelling my hair. >> chris: and to give you a sense of how quickly this is moving, we're going to put up on a screen, this is a statement that has just come out from former vice president biden. he says "in my many years on the campaign trail and in public life, i have offered countless handshakes, hugs, expressions of affection, support, and comfort, and not once, never, that i believe i acted inappropriately. if it is suggested i did so, i will listen respectfully, but it was never my intention." you have shared the fact that you were a victim of sexual assault much earlier in your life. i know this doesn't rise to that level but your reaction to what we are hearing now about this incident? >> kellyanne: first of all, this woman lucy is very bold to come forward and i would remind the audience that she shares joe biden's political party.
10:04 am
he was there to help the democratic party of nevada and her candidacy so it's quite bold for her to go up against the highest levels of her own political party. but all of these post-#metoo allegations and insinuations really don't comport with probably joe biden's conduct over the years. if anybody just types and creepy uncle joe videos you come up with a treasure trove. far more evidentiary information and videos and we saw one brett kavanaugh's nomination was trying to be derailed and him as an individual and his family being destroyed by folks who had no evidence of what had allegedly happened 34 years earlier. and i think joe biden has a big problem here because he calls it affection and handshakes. his party because it completely. and the other thing that biden really has is a problem is stacy abrams, who i look upon as a big
10:05 am
future part of the democratic party. she is very compelling -- >> chris: if i make -- >> kellyanne: she rebuffed his advances to be on his ticket pretty much. she said i'm going to run i'm going to run for the whole thing so he's had a bad couple of weeks. it is have president obama, the men he served for eight years as vice president, he apparently doesn't have his endorsement so i think think you said the wort nonrollout for any would be 2020 candidate on the democratic side. >> chris: let me ask you about one more question and we move on, we've got a lot to cover here, kellyanne. i'm sure a lot of folks are saying there are women who have said much worse about your boss, president trump, in terms of touching them inappropriately. >> kellyanne: would certainly cover that ad infinitum during the campaign, practically every day. but look what happened to the people who alleged all that into think you have to speak about that repetitively and ubiquitously. now they have to really grapple with what's going on in their
10:06 am
own party with a man who was vice president of the united states until two years ago. so let's have that conversation and i do think, as somebody who is very affectionate, i am, i tend to hug people, i tend to put on my head because i guess we're not supposed to do that. i do think that we should examine appropriate conduct in the public sphere. but joe biden's intent is only partly or maybe not at all, relevant here. it's really how that woman felt. she feels that it was unwelcome to. and she's coming forward with it because she doesn't want this man to continue to advance in public life. joe biden this week was apologizing to anita hill for his role -- >> chris: you're going to find a time to go after him. >> kellyanne: why didn't he apologized to lucy? why didn't he apologized to this woman? they never apologize to the individual and i think the way the media covered everything from collusion to kavanaugh to the covington kids means they are to be able to cover issues
10:07 am
like this. >> chris: that's why i'm asking you about it at the beginning of our interview. let's turn to what the president is telling americans about the mueller report. here he is. >> the special counsel completed its report and found no collusion and no obstruction, total exoneration. complete vindication. >> chris: now, the special counsel clear the president on collusion. absolutely, no question about it, but he expressly did not clear him on the question of obstruction. so why is the president telling americans something that is not true? >> kellyanne: talks about no obstructive conduct. it also says something -- i don't think it's enough coverage, which answers her question apart, chris, also nobody in the department of justice felt like the investigation was interfered with, that mr. mueller couldn't do the job he wanted to do so for all the times i was asked, the president was asked, we were all asked, with a fire bob
10:08 am
mueller, will he the investigation, the department of justice feels that mr. mueller was able to do that. >> chris: kellyanne, i'm asking you specifically about obstruction and i don't mean to interrupt but i do want to keep you on point. here is the summary that attorney general barr sent to congress about the issue of obstruction. i want to put it up on the screen. this is barr summarizing the special counsel. "for each of the relevant actions investigated, the reports they found evidence on both sides of the question, the special counsel states that "while this report does not conclude that the president committed a crime obstruction, it also does not exonerate him. so when the president says that its total exoneration on obstruction, kellyanne, that's just not true. >> kellyanne: the president is probably comparing that report and the ultimate conclusions of no conspiracy, no collusion, no contact with any russian at a
10:09 am
campaign that i managed into its final successful phases and have always been offended than anybody could think that we would cheat, lie, steal or talk to any russians. that's ridiculous and always was and we wasted a lot of money and a lot of time in people's anxiety over it. but the president is also saying his people were out there as recently as a week or days before the barr memo characterizing the mueller report was released by saying that the evidence of collusion was in plain sight, that the president had committed a crime, that elizabeth warren said we don't even know if you will be a free man. >> chris: take yes for an answer, i'm agreeing with you on collusion. >> kellyanne: i'm always going to take yes for an answer on the barr report. >> chris: i'm asking about obstruction. >> kellyanne: we will see with the full report says but there's no where in the barr report that says he obstructed justice. if there's nowhere in the barr memo that said uri obstructed justice. >> chris: there was no barr report. >> kellyanne: the memo summarizing -- >> chris: mueller and he says
10:10 am
it is not exonerate him. >> kellyanne: it says many things and most importantly it says this president and his campaign did not commit a crime, that there was no conspiracy, no collusion and people vomited for two straight years and the taxpayer dollars and people's anxiety and by the way, adam schiff is completely compromised. you want to find one person is compromised, is the head of the house intelligence committee, spent more time on tv than at committee over the last how many years and all nonrepublican members have asked for his resignation. i certainly did it a week ago, the president has done. he cannot be fair. if that is one of the most important positions in the united state house of representatives. >> chris: we will talk about adam schiff and his number two in a couple of minutes. i do want to ask about mexico. the president is now threatening to close the border between the u.s. and mexico this week if it doesn't stop the migrant caravans coming from mexico. take a look. >> if they don't stop them, we are closing the border. we will close it and we will
10:11 am
keep it closed for a long time. i'm not playing games. >> chris: mexico, kellyanne, is our third-largest trading partner. there's a half a trillion dollars that comes back and forth across the border. thousands of americans every day go back and forth across the border. as the president really serious about closing the border this week with all the disruption to our economy or is this just a bluff? >> kellyanne: it certainly isn't a drop dome a bluff. you can take the president seriously, here's why. what he's looking at is that 4,000 migrants apprehended in one day recently were on track this month for close to 100,000. we have never seen a surge like this coming from the northern triangle company. some of these kids are already separated by their parents from their parents before they even arrive here. congress can fix this in an hour. they can give us a fix for the agreement that a court said there's only so much we can do. we have 20 days and then we have to release unaccompanied minors
10:12 am
into the interior. congress can fix the problem of emigration they failed to fix in this president is looking at the metrics. secretary nielsen saying we are in a meltdown. we are at the breaking point. border patrol had saying we've never seen a surge like this and even credit under president obama said we have a crisis. >> chris: i understand that and i want to ask about that surge because the president is also now going to cut off all foreign aid to three countries in central america. guatemala, honduras and el salvador including aid for things like gang prevention. if the that a lot of people are making is if you can't have all of those -- all that aid for all things that might improve conditions in what's called the triangle, those northern central american countries, you're only going to make things worse and are only going to spur more migration. so isn't it counterproductive? >> kellyanne: this is the classic case of let's talk about what may happen versus what's
10:13 am
right in front of us. how can people deny what they see, which is these caravans day by day. they are very deplorable to positions. the conditions are already awfu awful. we have back-to-back homeland security secretary's, president obama's and president trump saying we have a crisis. we are over the melting point. congress must act. the executive branch has done so much to try to mitigate the awful circumstances and we need to send a message back to these countries too. be honest with people. they are being promising in giving their life savings to coyotes and they are being promised something that cannot be -- we have to just got off the drugs. you know that we've interdicted drugs through the ports of entry, outside of the points of entry, enough to kill every american in this country. people are denying what they should see in front of them.
10:14 am
>> chris: we are blowing -- >> kellyanne: by the way on trade, this president has the usmca, get congress to get a vote in and put it into law. he struck a great -- >> chris: a lot of people think this is going to hurt them. i want to move onto obamacare because the president also announced this week that he wants to kill obamacare, through the courts, including what it does to protect people with pre-existing conditions. here he is. >> if the supreme court rules that obamacare is out, we will have a plan that's far better than obamacare. >> chris: simple question, kellyanne, what the republican plan? >> kellyanne: the republican plan is manifold. even the president's current budget, pre-existing conditions are accounted for. he has said time and again for years including this week -- >> chris: that you had two years with republicans control of the house and senate and the white house and you could never -- the g.o.p. -- could never come up with a plan that
10:15 am
they could all agree on and passed. >> kellyanne: they need to come and here's why -- by the way the democrats are post-obamacare also. president obama last fall said he likes medicare for all. if the democrats actually liked obamacare they would all be running on obamacare. instead they are running on medicare for all, which is a health version of the green new deal which got exactly zero votes in the senate this week. why? because people make noise about it on the campaign trail and then when i have to vote on nonsense like medicare for all in the green new deal, they vote present. they didn't get a single positive vote and medicare for all -- choices for none and apart from the monetary costs, the moral costs are important. we would be pushing more people out of the system. you're going to do away with private insurance. at 180 million americans lose their insurance to more than half of the country. obamacare has been a failure because one-third of the country had one insurance option, which is no option at all. cost $50 billion a year in subsidies. what i hate interrupting but i didn't i think you make it
10:16 am
going. >> kellyanne: we will offer higher quality, lower -- less taxes. >> chris: there is no plan right now. >> kellyanne: we've been working on a plan for a long time. >> chris: at nine years but you've never actually come up with a plan. >> kellyanne: used them only been president for two years. we are working on a plan. >> chris: final i'm going to get into something i don't like talking about, i know you don't talk about but i have to tell you that when we announced that you are going to be on the show, more people asked me to ask you about this than any other question, you know where i'm headed here. >> kellyanne: i don't. >> chris: yes you do. this is the state of your marriage with george conway. i'm going to put up some of the things that your husband has said about president trump. just this month, march 5th. it wherever he goes and where he does trump will always be summa cum liar march 19th. once someone understands narcissistic personality disorder they understand you.
10:17 am
march 26th. if the charge were on fitness for office, the verdict would already be in. guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. here's how the president responded. >> i don't know him, he's a whack job, there's no question about it and i call him mr. kellyanne. the fact is that he's doing a tremendous disservice to a wife and family. she's a wonderful woman. >> chris: why is your husband attacking your boss? >> kellyanne: you could ask my husband. but it doesn't affect my job because my job is to be counsel to the president under the best job i can do to provide information -- >> chris: do you think that he is -- come on, you've obviously thought about this. do you think a cyberbullying here to try to get you to quit back to think he is jealous of high-profile? >> kellyanne: some people think that. they certainly do. my first line of protection in this world is and will always be my four children. so i don't really like to discuss this publicly. what i will tell you is george
10:18 am
was very supportive of president trump, election night in his hat, blocks away from her at the hilton in new york. wanted to take a job in the trump administration and changed his mind and was a guest of the president and first lady months after he withdrew himself for consideration. >> chris: i understand that. >> kellyanne: and when he withdrew his name he said he would still support the president and his agenda and "his wonderful wife's" work. i will tell you that it is unusual for washington too because i think that many women tend to get their power and their position through the men in their lives and this is a little bit different and after the feminists are going to throw me operate at some point. >> chris: finally, and you have said that you believe that this has hurt your four children, and understandably, nobody would want to see their mom and dad fighting out in public. >> kellyanne: that's not true, some people would like us to fight. some people take a little bit too much glee over the situation. >> chris: i don't want you to
10:19 am
fight. i guess the question i have to ask, bottom line, final question, has this hurt your marriage? >> kellyanne: what are you, oprah now? of what i my on a couch and you are a psychiatrist? i think it's a really inappropriate question, and here's why. that's the line over which nobody should have crossed. so if you want to talk about policy issues, policy disagreement, the fact that george conway, my husband, would prefer that i not work in the white house, i guess you can ask the questions. the president has weighed in, i've weighed in as modestly as i can. but now you're asking a very personal question and i would say to you, you should go ask it of many people. i see messy lives living in glass houses all over both cities in which i live. >> chris: only went out -- this is not something i'm comfortable talking about. the president did call him the husband from hell, so it's out there. >> kellyanne: i'm surprised that people would ask that question. i have seen home records on tv
10:20 am
as marital experts all of a sudden. it's very amusing to me but i think people knew they crossed the line when they're talking about people's marriages. all the stuff about leave us alone in my private life. my family has a right to their private life also. i have children who are 14, 14, 11 and nine. and the reasons get so much coverage, particularly by the mainstream media is because george conway now agrees with them. he shares the views of president trump and their goals. if you read george's op-ed in "the washington post," the headlines didn't match the op-ed. he was talking about the mueller report, the barr memo and i think that they take glee in this people should have thought thrice before they crossed a certain mind. >> chris: as i said, i'm not come people asking it, it is what people are talking about. if i offended you, i'm sorry. >> kellyanne: i'm sure. >> chris: thank you, thanks for your time. always good to talk with you, please come back. >> kellyanne: please come you t it. >> chris: up next we will talk to congressman jim hines, joins us next.
10:21 am
♪ then went beyond. beyond chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget. beyond having questions. to getting answers. "activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast.
10:22 am
the big drug companies don't see they see us as profits. we're paying the highest prescription drug prices in the world so they can make billions? americans shouldn't have to choose between buying medication and buying food for our families. it's time for someone to look out for us. congress, stop the greed. cut drug prices now.
10:23 am
♪ >> chris: democrats are threatening to issue a subpoena
10:24 am
unless attorney general barr sends them the full mueller report by this tuesday. so what did they make of his plan now to send it to congress by mid-april if not sooner? joining us from connecticut, congressman jim himes, the number two democrat on the house intelligence committee. congressman, let's start with what you told your local newspaper in connecticut this week about whether the mueller report clears the president on the issue of collusion with the russians. here's what you told them. "i'm not sure i would break out a lot of champagne. they try to make the case that the mueller report says there's no evidence of collusion. there's plenty of evidence." if a congressman, now i'm taking the counter argument to what i was discussing with kelly kell, that's not what the mueller report says, it does not say there's plenty of evidence of collusion. >> congressman himes: first of all, nobody knows what the mueller report says, because nobody seen it. without the four-page barr summary and even though my
10:25 am
republican friends are attacking out of shape and others by saying the mueller report says no evidence, that's not at all what it says. if you read the letter, the barr letter says that the investigation was not able to establish. >> chris: no, excuse me. with all due respect, sir, that's absolutely incorrect. i'm going to put up on the screen because we know that this probably was going to come up, the specific quote from attorney general barr. here's what he says. "the special counsel did not find that the trump campaign or anyone associated with it conspired or coordinated with the russian government in these efforts despite multiple offers from russian affiliated individuals to assist the trump campaign. "so specifically the special counsel is not saying there is insufficient evidence to prosecute. he saying it didn't happen. >> congressman himes: writes, so again, two things are possible at the same time. number one, whatever happened, and there's 400 pages of report
10:26 am
that we are going to see, so something happened or it wouldn't be 400 pages long. but whatever happened, the conclusion is that it's not a chargeable offense. >> chris: no, again, sir, respectable, he didn't say it's not a chargeable offense. he said the report did not find that the trump campaign conspired or coordinated. on the issue of obstruction he said i've got some issues as to whether it's a prosecutable offense. he didn't say that when it came to collusion. >> congressman himes: right, but my own quote, which you read back to me, was saying that there was not a finding of no evidence. and that is also true. so the conclusion is that there was not explicit collusion, conspiracy, but that does not mean that there is no evidence. that sort of a fine point here is the big picture, we are accepting, and adam schiff and his famous speech of last week said we are accepting the conclusion of bob mueller. something of course that the republicans did not do on benghazi, on uranium one come on clinton emails. if we are accepting that and we
10:27 am
want to see the report and this is why i say i wouldn't break out the champagne just yet, for two reasons. one come at the conclusion, despite what kellyanne conway just told you, is not clear on obstruction and number two, again, at 400 pages, we are all speculating about what's in there but we know about don jr.'s meeting in trump tower. we know about many people going to jail for lying about russia. my guess is that when you see the whole report, you will see good reasons, good reasons for why a number of people, a lot of people were concerned by the possibility, since disproved, that the trump campaign was colluding with the russians. >> chris: okay, let's move onto another subject, and that is that house democrats are demanding that attorney general barr turnover the entire mueller report by this tuesday, two days from now. here is basically barr's response to that. and barr said he will get up by mid-april, which is two weeks
10:28 am
from now, if not sooner. he said he's going to redact grand jury testimony and intelligence material but he says the white house won't get to review it for executive privilege. no white house review for executive of which, which i know it's a big concern of yours. isn't that a reasonable plan, congressman? >> congressman himes: i will say a couple things. it number one, it is absolutely reasonable that they remove all classified information from a report. my guess is it contains a lot of classified information because it retains to russia. absolutely reasonable. grand jury information a little more ambiguous. congress theoretically has the right to that. and end of the third category that you didn't mention of information that may be potentially embarrassing to third parties. and then -- but remember, we're talking about a difference of ten days here or so and so my guess is that this is going to be something that can be negotiated away so that we wind up, as everybody agrees we should, with the mueller report. >> chris: so in other words if it's just a matter of ten days or so, this tuesday as opposed
10:29 am
to two weeks from then, you're saying that there won't be a subpoena and you will take yes for an answer to make >> congressman himes: we will see. my guess is that jerry nadler and others are probably actually in communication with barr and with the department of justice on the nature of what is slowing them down. remember, congress can and does see classified information so is also possible that the department of justice can convey the report just to congress in a closed environment. but by the way, just to come back to the executive privilege and, remember, what barr said was that the president has publicly indicated that he wants the report released and therefore we don't anticipate executive privilege claims. but this could get reversed tomorrow morning and the president decides he wants to change his mind on that. this is a president who has changed his mind in the past. we are sensitive to that possibility. >> chris: all right, let's move on to adam schiff, who you talked about and also kellyanne conway talked about. the president and house
10:30 am
republicans, particularly republican members of the house intelligence committee, are going after adam schiff. as chairman of the house intelligence committee, you are the number two democrat on the committee. take a look at what they are saying. >> little pencil neck adam schiff. there could still have been some russia collusion. sick. sick. these are sick people. >> all-american should be concerned about the chairman of the house intelligence committee taking the position of judge and jury. >> chris: house republicans are saying that schiff should step down as chairman of house intelligence. the president has tweeted that he thinks that he should be forced to resign from congress. your reaction? >> congressman himes: look, the american people will need to decide what they think about a president who poisons our political dialogue by going after people's physical
10:31 am
characteristics, calling them pencil neck, et cetera. on the substance here, you just need to watch what adam schiff said last week in the committee. first of all, he is said that we accept mueller's findings. something the republicans could never find it in their hearts or minds to do with respect to benghazi, the clinton emails, uranium one. i could go on and on. he said we accept the findings. we are not going to do ten investigations the way they did on benghazi. second, he said i do not believe it is appropriate for people to lie about contacts with russians. on the report comes out, with the american people will learn was that there was plenty of reason to be concerned about the nature of those contacts and the possibility of what those contacts might have meant. so i don't see adam schiff as having done anything at all wrong and in fact supporting himself far more responsibly than i republicans ever did on benghazi and the scandals that they had. >> chris: a lot of republicans cause. if that's what they say adam
10:32 am
schiff in the run-up to the mueller report said repeatedly that he thought there was a good chance that president trump had committed a crime. there are some clips of adam schiff in just the last couple of months. >> my takeaways there's a very real prospect on the date the leaves office they might indict him. >> clear evidence. >> the bigger part in question may come down the road as the next president has to determine whether to pardon donald trump. >> chris: is that appropriate for the chairman of the house intelligence committee, which is basically a traditionally seen as nonpartisan, not always, and i agree in recent years not at all. a fact-finding committee to be talking openly about the president being indicted, the next president having to pardon him before he even knew the results of the report? >> congressman himes: we don't need to have the conversation we had previously about whether there was reason to be
10:33 am
concerned, evidence or reason, whatever you want to call it, that the president's campaign might be compromised. it's all out there for people to see from the don jr. meeting to so many people lying about contacts with russia. there was reason for this investigation. when adam schiff says that there is the possibility that the president might be indicted after his presidency, remember, chris, as we sit here today, any number of u.s. attorneys in the southern district of new york and elsewhere continue their investigations. >> chris: so basically you are not troubled by that? >> congressman himes: again, i don't think adam said anything that wasn't factual. adam never said the president is guilty of this. he himself is a former prosecutor. he is more careful than that. he said there was evidence again. the american people can judge the facts they know today before the report has been released as to whether they would have criticized barack obama if barack obama's daughter had met with russians looking for dirt on barack obama's political
10:34 am
foes. they can make that judgment but until the full report is out people should reserve judgment on what adam schiff knows or doesn't know, because adam schiff, as chairman of that committee, had access to lots of information the public does not yet have. again, i don't say that because i think there's a surprise. we accept the conclusion of the report but i don't think adam schiff said anything that wasn't true in the state may play there. >> chris: thank you, thanks for sharing part of or we can with us. always good to talk with you and we will stay on top of what your committee does next. >> congressman himes: thank you, chris. >> chris: coming up, we will bring in our sunday group to discuss the president's decision to revive the fight over the affordable care act. plus, what would you like to ask the panel about president trump's promise about a new health plan that is better than obamacare? just go to facebook or twitter, @foxnewssunday, and we may use your question on the air. ♪ ♪
10:35 am
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> chris: coming up, the end of the mueller investigation hasn't ended the partisan bickering around it. >> there has to be accountability, because it's all lies.
10:36 am
>> i think they are just scaredy cats, they don't know what to do. >> chris: we will ask our sunday panel what the attoto
10:37 am
10:38 am
>> the democrats have to now decide whether they will continue defrauding the public with ridiculous [bleep]. >> chris: well, president trump in his own way telling a rally in michigan this week democrats or the country in apology for pushing the russia investigation for more than two years. and it's time now for our sunday group, the cohost of benson and harp on fox news radio, guy benson. charles lane, from "the washington post," author of the new book "freedom detective." julie pace, and josh holmes, senator mitch mcconnell's former chief of staff.
10:39 am
actually, some folks, especially democrats, say the president is jumping the gun going on this victory tour declaring complete victory on the mueller report and when it finally comes out there will be a bunch of stuff in there that he's not going to like and they will have to explain, what's the feeling in the white house? let's just take the good news and if there's bad news later we will deal with it later? >> pretty much. i think there have always been legal questions in political questions when it comes to the mueller investigation. and from the legal perspective this is indisputably good news for the president. we always believed that mueller was never going to be able to charge him because of justice department guidelines by the sitting president but there were real questions that surrounded other people in the president's orbit, including his son, donald trump jr. in the investigation ended with no additional criminal charges. that is good news for the white house and there is no other way to spin that. on the political question, i think we don't completely know how this will cut. if you look at the totality of the investigation, certainly hasn't been good for the president.
10:40 am
his national security advisor had to plead guilty. his campaign chairman is going to be in jail for several years. but i do think that the president sees this as a way to rally his base heading into his reelection. cast this motivation as politically motivated and get his voters really energized heading into 2020. >> chris: whatever we end up reading, you can tell from the summary of the mueller report from barr, there's evidence on both sides on obstruction, not on collusion. whatever we end up reading in the report, isn't this a big victory for donald trump both politically and legally in the sense he was investigated for more than two years by federal authorities and they end up finding no evidence apparently of collusion and apparently no criminal evidence, nothing prosecutable when it comes to obstruction. >> of course it's a huge victory for him. i would also say it's a victory for the american people that the president and his team did not collude with a hostile government to steal an election. that is something we should all be celebrating.
10:41 am
there's some glum faces are in, which i think is telling but the president has been not only accused of being a criminal for the last two years, but in a lot of precincts of being some sort of a traitor and now we see from bob mueller, who was determined to beat the gold standard, and i actually have always agreed with that, no conspiracy and no coordination. i think a lot of democrats are focusing on the road conspiracy look we heard from your last guest, this isn't a crime necessarily. if the work coordination was also ruled out by the special counsel. to me that is very significant. i think we should wait for the entire report to come forward. i think the full football spiking might be premature. if there's going to be some embarrassing stuff in there, no question but the bottom line on the central thrust of what he was investigated for two years, it's a vindication broadly for the president. >> chris: and it was the president's decision -- surprising decision to jump into a court case that would strike down all of obamacare -- this was a judgment by a district
10:42 am
judge in texas. if it goes through the appeals process. here was the was the back-and-forth on that. >> they are going to work together to come up with something that's really spectacular, maybe we'll even get support in the house from democrats. but it's going to be far better than obamacare. >> the president wants to go back to repeal and replace it in. make our day. >> chris: we ask you for questions for the panel and on this question of the president's promise to produce a new g.o.p. health plan, we got this on facebook from jacob. why after nine years to the republicans not had any replacement plan? why after two years does trump not have a replacement plan? all they have is repealed. that's not a plan. josh, you expressed big concerns this week about president trump and the white house deciding to go back and relitigate obamacare. how do you answer jacob? >> i think there's a practical problem here and there is a
10:43 am
political problem here. the practical problem is unless you believe speaker pelosi is going to work hand in glove with the trump administration and senator majority leader mitch mcconnell to repeal obamacare and come up with a replacement, we are talking an exercise in futility. the second piece of this, which i think is more broadly concerning is the fact that issue selection is not exactly where it needs to be here. they are fighting a battle that has been waged for eight years and largely decided in august of 2017. where we are at now is democrats full throated embrace of a medicare for all policy and i've got to tell you the one biggest political liability you can accrue in politics is separating families from coverage that they have, despite the efforts of their federal government be able to navigate and provide for their families. that's where democrats are right now and that's really where the trump administration and all republicans autofocus. >> chris: so how big a gift was the president's decision to get back into the obamacare fight to democrats?
10:44 am
>> it could be a big gift if they persist in it. if it is a one-off thing that just sort of popped out of the white house in the wake of the mueller thing -- go >> chris: when you say they persist -- go speak of the white house. mick mulvaney thought now is our chance to get out obamacare. it's very important to understand that the republicans actually -- they may not have a whole repeal and replace plan for obamacare but they have plans for health care, which include things like work requirements for medicaid, which are not super popular around the country. there's a good case to be made that the 2018 election went overwhelmingly in the house for the democrats because they harped on pre-existing conditions. it republicans are your pre-existing conditions that's what nancy pelosi and chuck schumer see coming back. it's just fallen right back into their laps. here comes the republican administration threatening that again. and i think if they are smart, the white house will backpedal quickly and this will be a
10:45 am
passing thing. >> this is partially why republicans were so frustrated. they thought the debate it changed. if they thought they at least had gotten the present and a lot of their vulnerable lawmakers in the place where they could accept pre-existing conditions. they could accept the provisions of obamacare that let them stay on their parent's health insurance. particles are broadly popular, very little appetite anywhere in either party to do away with those right now and suddenly their ministrations there saying we want to get rid of the whole thing again. >> chris: because the democratic presidential candidates are talking about medicare for all, which is a much more controversial issue, but protecting obamacare has become increasingly popular. all right, panel, take a break here. when we come back, beto o'rourke has his official launch and joe biden faces new scrutiny as he makes a decision whether to run. we will check in on where the 2020 democratic democratic race stands now. sitka
10:46 am
10:47 am
10:48 am
10:49 am
>> when anita hill came to testify, she faced a committee that didn't fully understand what the hell it was all about. to this day i regret i can come up with a way to get her the kind of hearing she deserved. >> chris: former vice president joe biden apologizing this week for the way he handled anita hill's testimony in the clarence thomas confirmation hearing for the supreme court in 1991. we are back now with the panel. we are going to get to the other part of the biden story in a moment, but josh, he had a tough week this week, even without this latest allegation from lucy florez in nevada. first, his comments about anita hill and the hearing in which he seemed to apologize for being a white guy and that all the members of the committee at that
10:50 am
time were white guys and then to say that he apologized for not giving her the hearing she deserved. after all, he was the chairman of the committee. >> right. and he's not even in the race yet. this is going to get worse and i think what we are watching from biden at this point is twisting himself into a pretzel trying to appeal to a primary electorate on the democratic side that frankly has moved far beyond the joe bidens of the world. what he's talking about now is basically a world apology to her and that's not going to work. that's not going to sell in iowa or new hampshire or anywhere else. ultimately the challenges that he faces is he is no longer representative of that core primary electorate that will determine who the next democratic nominee for president is. >> chris: there is also, as we've been discussing this morning with kellyanne conway, potentially a much more serious problem, that involves a woman named lucy florez. she was a state legislator in nevada running for lieutenant
10:51 am
governor in 2014. joe biden there with her on the stage at a rally supporting her. but it turns out she alleges that before, and private, off camera he came up behind her, he touched her shoulders, then he came in and kissed the back of her head. he says, or his staff says that he doesn't recall the incident. he put out a statement saying i am a huggy guy, i certainly have or didn't think i bothered anybody but here is the reaction from another democratic candidate already, senator elizabeth warren. >> i believe lucy florez and joe biden needs to give an answer. >> should he not run as a resul result? >> that's for joe biden to decide. >> chris: julie, you have covered the vice president for years. are you that this would come up about the issue of inappropriate touching? >> i'm not surprised. it joe, anybody was covered him
10:52 am
as seen these moments. he is quite an affectionate person. there are moments where he's been on camera in front of big crowds and he's put his hands on women's shoulders. he nuzzles them. it's part of what people have called kind of the uncle joe persona. i think the challenge for joe biden is due those moments look different in 2019 when we are in a place where we've gone through the #metoo movement, which is really, i think, cause people to take a fresh look at the behavior of men in powerful positions. this is not necessarily sexual assault, but if he was making women feel uncomfortable, if he was using his position of authority to do that, that is not going to be looked at favorably, certainly by this democratic electorate. >> chris: it reminded a lot of people of this incident. 2015, they use the ash carter sworn in as defense secretary. joe biden is touching the wife of ash carter, puts his hand on
10:53 am
her shoulders, nuzzles and whispered something into her ear. guy, could this be a problem, a serious problem, and especially as julie points out, in the #metoo movement. matt? >> it could be for him. i think a lot of conservatives are saying hang on a second. this is been a conservative meme for eight years at least. in that video you played is one of many examples. i think it's very clear that joe biden is not going to win a wokeness primary. i think a lot of the shots being fired already, these are warning signals from the left that if he gets in the, they are going to make his life miserable and i think he needs to be fully aware of that if he decides to jump in. >> chris: chuck? >> i'm going to take the other side of this for a moment politically, two words that anybody thinks joe biden is finished. it ralph northam. we thought he was finished.
10:54 am
>> chris: but there's a difference. ralph northam is the governor. it's a question of kicking him out. if you guy has actually got to win a primary. >> are interesting people have a way of surviving things that you think they can't survive so we should all be prepared for that possibility. and the other point i would make is he still well above the rest of the field in the pulse. so at least he came into this with a reservoir of goodwill. but it was inevitable the democrats would have to go negative on one another in such a large field and being the front runner, you are the one everyone is going to target. i guess the hope for biden would be that he still not officially candidate but that this will somehow get processed before he is one and he will be in some way inoculated against it. but i just wouldn't rule out the possibility that he's not finished. >> chris: does anybody at this table think that joe biden won't get into the race? >> i think there's a chance. i think there's a chance he doesn't get in. joe biden has this operation
10:55 am
around him that is completely set up, waiting for him to turn to them and say i'm ready, and he hasn't said that yet. and he's been pushing this deadline back and back and back. we are now talking possibly late april is the new time frame that some people around him are using. joe biden knows better than anybody what this would entail. what is the thing that he's going to learn over the next couple of weeks that will push him over the finish line? i think the longer that this goes on, it leaves open the possibility that he doesn't do this ultimately. >> chris: josh? >> he might be at the point of no return. i think the draft has been very difficult and it might be too big for them to walk the fact but to the point that guy made earlier, i think that's honestly a mistake. i don't think that he can compete in his primary electorate. >> if it doesn't get it and it will be a real watershed in the history of the democratic party because it will be the end of that whole generation of leaders and they will be moving into sort of an unknown no land with a whole bunch of newcomers, ideologically very different, diverse from one another and it would be a real free-for-all.
10:56 am
>> chris: still bernie sanders, 77 years old. at elizabeth warren, 69, and not a completely a generational shift the makeshift yet. >> a different kind of democrat. there's a world of difference between joe biden and bernie sanders, who isn't really technically a democrat, is kind of a socialist and i don't think, charles, that biden's donor finished, i think we've gotten a taste of the last few weeks of what's coming his way if we he gets an and he might e sitting there thinking do i want to put myself through this? >> chris: and you have to figure he would love to a president. does he want to run for president a third time and lose for a third time? panel, thank you. see you all next sunday. it's great covering politics. we will be back with a final word. ♪ choosing the color, the wheels, the interior. everything exactly how i want it. here's the thing, just because i configured this car online doesn't mean it really exists at a dealership. but with truecar, i get real pricing on actual cars in my area, i see what others paid for them
10:57 am
and they show me the ones that match the car i want, so i know i can go to a truecar certified dealer and it'll be right there waiting for me... today, right now. this is truecar. comcast business built the nation's largest gig-speed network. then went beyond. beyond chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget.
10:58 am
beyond having questions. to getting answers. "activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast. ♪ >> chris: for the latest on the joe biden story and attorney general barr's plan to release the mueller report to congress, keep it on this box station and fox news channel. and that's it for today, have a great week and we will see you next "fox news sunday" ." ♪ - [announcer] if you want to make more money
10:59 am
11:00 am
and take control of your financial future, then get ready because real estate multimillionaire and best-selling author than merrill, star of a&e's hit tv show, flip this house has one heck of an opportunity for you. for the last decade, you've seen than all over tv and now than's chosen to hold a free two hour live class where you'll learn how you can start making money in real estate on a part-time or full-time basis. you'll learn a step-by-step blueprint for flipping homes and buying and holding income properties that generate consistent cash flow. this is the exact process than and thousands of students have used to get started

28 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on