Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  April 7, 2019 10:00am-11:01am PDT

10:00 am
>> i'm bill hammer in for chris wallace. house democrats hit a house democrats hit a turning point in their investigations of president trump. clear mac -- ♪ >> first threats to use subpoena power to release the full mueller report. >> the committee must see everything. >> bill: and the move to see the president's tax returns. it's because they will speak to my lawyers they will speak to the attorney general. >> bill: is the president himself shifts focus back to a key issue, border security. >> the crisis is a direct result of the obstruction by democrats. >> bill: we will discuss the tension between the white house and the democratic majority with white house chief of staff mick mulvaney. and we will go inside the investigations with assistant speaker of the house, ben ray lujan, only on on
10:01 am
"fox news sunday." plus. >> i will be more mindful and respectful of people's personal space. >> bill: joe biden tries to deflect a political crisis. >> by the way, he gave me permission to touch them. >> bill: before he even announces. >> putting editing together. >> bill: we will ask our sunday panel whether the former vp can weather this storm. all right now on fox news will sunday. good to happy with us today on the sunday morning. there is a new political front in the fight over bob mueller's russian investigation. house democrats are demanding access to the entire 400 page report. also this week, investigators seeking mr. trump's tax returns as the president pushes his policies over immigration. in a moment we will speak exclusively with white house chief of staff mick mulvaney but first, here's a look at where the battle lines have been drawn just this week. >> a day after the house judiciary committee voted to
10:02 am
authorize subpoenas for mueller's full report, chairman jerry nadler called for transparency citing reports that someone mueller's team were concerned that barr's principal conclusions went too easy on drum. >> it just gives us additional reason to say release the report so we can see it. >> the president's attorney rudy giuliani, blast of those. >> there are a bunch of sneaky unethical leakers and their rabbit democrats who hate the president of the united states. >> in a rare public statement the justice department pushed back the most. every page was marked may contain material perfected under a federal law that protects confidential grand jury information and therefore could not be publicly released. house speaker pelosi warning democrats will not give up. >> show us the mueller report show us the tax returns. >> house ways and means chair sent a formal request to the irs citing a rarely used while
quote
10:03 am
getting agency until wednesday to hand over six years of the president's tax returns. >> clearly it's unlikely that we are going to receive a response immediately but we've prepared for the long game here. >> they will speak to my lawyers, they will speak to the attorney general. >> a lawyer for the president said granting the request would set a dangerous precedent and in a renewed push and immigration the president visited the border with mexico after backing off a threat to shut it down. and a day after unexpectedly pulling nomination of ron to lead i swear he had been the acting director. >> we are going in a different direction, ron is a good man but we are going in tougher direction. >> another president says he can stop the flow of illegal immigrants with terrorists on mexican cars. >> i don't think we will ever have to close the border because the penalty of tariffs on cars coming into the united states from mexico at 25% will be massive. >> bill: joining me now here
10:04 am
in washington to talk about all of this, white house chief of staff mick mulvaney. welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> mick: good morning, bill, good to see you. >> bill: i want to go into the issues in a moment but just broadly speaking do you believe the dynamic between the trump white house and house democrats went into a new phase this past week? >> mick: i think it probably went into a new phrase right after the mueller report came out in the barr summary came out because the democrats really were caught flat-footed. they really did believe that mueller would find collusion and find obstruction. in fact, they invest very heavily and that and then to be blindsided like that, to find out there's no obstruction no collusion, i really think they were never expecting it. >> bill: now you're on the tax issue. >> mick: and after that we will be on something else. the democrat party is obsessed with what we call trump derangement syndrome. they still cannot accept the fact that he won like the election and they will do anything they can to either undo that or prevent that from happening again.
10:05 am
go back to the president's state of the union speech. he said really there's a choice here, you can either choose to work with me or fight against me and it's clear with the democrats have done. they have no interest in working with this president on the border, on health care and anything. they want to fight with the president and they will do it every chance they get. >> bill: let's go to the issues, first on the border, the president gave mexico a one year warning this past week, he also calls a crisis. why wait a year? >> mick: i think that word about waiting a year dealt with drugs. if there's a couple differentings he said this week which is we need help right away on the migrant crisis, on illegal immigration, folks coming across the mexican border. we also have another longer-term issue with mexico on drugs that i think if you go back and look at his statement, he said we need help within the next year on drugs. the good news there is that in the last week texaco really has stepped it up for the very first time. they are preventing people from coming in on their own southern border down towards guatemala and honduras and they are also accepting more of the folks that cross into the united states
10:06 am
back into mexico. i know it's hard to imagine, but again, nancy pelosi runs the democrats in congress, mexico has done more in the last week to help our illegal immigration crisis nancy pelosi and democrats in the house. it's been a pretty good week. >> bill: as you bring that up, the president said this about that. >> for the last four days, and you actually have covered it to a very minor extent, mexico has been capturing people and bringing them back to their countries. >> bill: that's the argument you're making here. what changed? >> mick: i think they took him seriously. when the president comes out and says look, if you don't come stop helping us we are serious we will look at closing the border and putting tariffs on your automobiles. they recognize that's not an empty threat for the president of the united states. the situation on the border is a crisis. we have been talking about that for i guess almost three or four months. very few people believed us at the outset. i think more and more people now accepting the fact it is a real life, crisis.
10:07 am
"washington post" and "new york times" acknowledged that for the first time this week. it is his number one priority and when he sets out and says look, if you don't help us we will have no choice but to do these things, i think mexico pays attention. >> bill: he also threatened to cut off aid to central american countries, is that still a threat today? >> mick: absolutely for the same reason. keep in mind, dealing with health care is nice, dealing with the economy is nice. the president's first responsibility is to defend the integrity and the safety of the nation and we really do believe and i think again most folks are starting to agree with us now that the situation on the border is a national security crisis. >> bill: families arrive here with children. they are willing to turn themselves in. the facilities that house them are overloaded and then they are released into the country. have the smugglers, have they beat us at our own policy? >> mick: they certainly game the system. keep in mind these are mexican cartels oftentimes that can reach hundreds if not tens of hundreds of millions of dollars, moving people and traffic
10:08 am
human beings. it's not just about families. if an unaccompanied child crosses the border, dhs can only hold their child. this is a child already separated from the parents by the choice of the family. send them to hhs but if hhs doesn't have room for them, dhs cannot keep them, cannot send them back to the country they came from. there's legally nothing that the dhs can do with the children. >> bill: but the smugglers know the weather is going to get warmer. now is the time for them to ask. i want to get to a lot of things. to cut through on this issue, what is the plan to get out of this current crisis? >> mick: number one mexico has to continue to do what they are doing by preventing people from coming into mexico and then accepting people that we send. number two the northern triangle countries have to prevent their own people from leaving and number three, this is a one we don't get a chance to talk about enough, congress must act. the laws are what is acting as this giant magnet for illegal immigrants and congress has to change those laws.
10:09 am
again, i think for the first time, even democrats are starting to recognize that. >> bill: on the issue of taxes the president's lawyer put out a forceful four-page statement this past week. it was almost in unison with what the democrats asked for about wednesday, about midweek. given that statement, if you read through it, were you expecting this? >> mick: you always expect from the from the democrats. if they don't get what they want from us we report they will ask for the taxes. if they don't get what they want. if they will ask for something else. keep in mind they knew they are not going to get these taxes. they know what the law is. they know that one of the fundamental principles of the irs is to protect the confidentiality of you and me and everybody else who files taxes. they know that. they know the terms under law by which the irs can give them documents but a political hit child is not one of those reasons. >> bill: to be clear, you believe democrats will never see the president's tax returns.
10:10 am
>> mick: never. nor should they. keep in mind that was an issue that was already litigated during the election. voters know the president could have given his tax returns they knew that he didn't and they elected him anyway, which is of course what drives the democrats crazy. they just want the attention on the issue because they don't want to talk to us about policy. >> bill: please argue that he's under audit, has said that for a couple years but even under audit legally you could allow people to see it. >> mick: you could always allow people to see it. if that's not what's happening. the democrats are demanding of the irs turn over the documents and that is not going to happen and they know it. this is a political stunt by my former colleagues. >> bill: bill barr and maybe a summary comes out this week, maybe it comes out the week following. march 29th he wrote the following. "there are no plans to submit the report to the white house for a privilege review." has that changed? >> mick: we said from the very beginning that mr. barr will make these decisions. there are laws in place that govern how this special
10:11 am
investigation is conducted. keep in mind, got a lot of attention i think in the press about two weeks ago when all 420 odd members of congress who voted to release the mueller report to the public but if you go and look at what they actually voted on it says voted to release the mueller report pursuant to law. that is the same thing the white house has been saying. we want bill barr to follow the law, period, end of story. >> bill: here's a tweet from the president on saturday. "i have not read the mueller report even though i have every right to do so. the conclusion, collusion, recommendations to our great ag who found no obstruction." has anyone at the white house made a request to see this report before it goes to congress? >> mick: no. again, mr. barr will make that decision. >> bill: will that change? >> mick: anything could change. our position is that mr. barr runs this process because that's the process. we will follow the law. >> bill: do you want to see it? >> mick: i was over at omb during that process, i don't really have much interest. i know what it says and it's is
10:12 am
no collusion and no obstruction. keep in mind if we give the democrats all 400 pages unredacted, that's not going to be the end. and they will want another thousand pages that went into making that. they will talk to the witnesses themselves. if this is not about getting to the truth. it's not about the facts. this is a political show by the democrats because they just don't like the fact -- >> bill: one point on this and then we'll get to health care. i know you had a busy week at camp david. the president, will he change, or do you know if you would like to see the report before it goes to congress? >> mick: i think the president has been very consistent, mr. barr is going to make those decisions. >> bill: on obamacare you challenge the courts last month was that a mistake to take that back to court? >> mick: absolutely not. of what we did last week -- i guess last month, goodness gracious, time flies, whether or not we were going to agree with about 28 republican attorney general's in the state that said obamacare is unconstitutional, the entire law. it should not surprise anybody that donald trump decided that yeah he thinks that all of
Check
10:13 am
obamacare is unconstitutional. we had to fire a brief to that end. that should come as a surprise to no one. what was actually a surprise to us was that when jeff sessions was attorney general he took a different position and said only parts of the law were unconstitutional so no, we did the exact right thing. we think the court decided properly. keep in mind the u.s. district court has already found all of the law to be unconstitutional. we just think that was the right decision. >> bill: you know it mitch mcconnell so this week. he said he's not going to take it up in the senate. >> mick: that's fine. even if they did the democrats in the house have absolutely no interest in working with us on this so again, it shouldn't surprise anybody, we are not going to get to this before the 2020 election. that doesn't mean we shouldn't be talking about it, and we will. >> bill: will be see a plan before 2020? >> mick: absolutely. all of our specialist in. from cms. some of the best folks on the white house and we started to talk about number one what was already achieved. we don't get nearly enough
10:14 am
attention for what we've done with drug prices. drug pricing is unmistakably part of health care. and drug prices in the country actually came down last year for the first time in 50 years. that's because donald trump's president. that's part of what health care is. we spent the time this week and say what have we done, what can we talk about that's a success what we need to work on going forward? we talked about the individual marketplace. we talk about how we are protecting medicare, talked about how we are getting drug prices down and i do think you will see a plan here very shortly. >> bill: before the 2020 election? >> mick: we want to run on this. keep in mind, democrats have already admitted that obamacare doesn't work. that's why they're out there talking about this sort of amorphous medicare for all. they're not talking about how great medicare -- excuse me, obamacare is because they know it's broken. >> bill: as a campaign issue many democrats are running on medicare for all. someone argued with them on that and you step out of the way and allow the american people to sort through it. >> mick: we are firm believers that you can't beat something
10:15 am
with nothing. republicans have better ideas than democrats. we should not be afraid to talk about that. >> bill: lightning round, got a minute left. herman cain expressed some reservations about going forward as a federal reserve nominee friday night. it is that nomination still alive? >> mick: yes and i think herman will be a great member of the fed. >> bill: dems 2020, who concerns are the most? >> mick: right now none of them. it's a disaster. >> bill: when you are at camp david. >> mick: it never came up. we are having fun watching them implode. >> bill: last question, how did joe biden do this last week? >> mick: i have no idea. listen, the voters are going to decide, i laugh a little bit when i look at my democrat friends running for president. almost like whoever can apologize the most for the most different things is going to win back democrat nomination. it's almost like they want to make america apologize again and it's just a bizarre thing to watch as a republican. >> bill: thank you for coming today. we got through all of it. thanks for your time.
10:16 am
nice to see you. in a moment here arising democratic star, congressman ben ray lujan it joins us to talk about the democrats push for the mueller report and the president's taxes in the future of his own party. that's next. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
10:17 am
♪ comcast business built the nation's largest gig-speed network. then went beyond. beyond chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget. beyond having questions. to getting answers.
10:18 am
"activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast. ♪ ♪ >> bill: our next guest today health democrats regain the majority in the house and the 2018 midterms leading to the investigative assault we are now seeing against the president. joining us now from santa fe new mexico, congressman ben ray lujan, the number four democrat in the house and congressman lujan, welcome back to "fox news sunday" ." >> congressman lujan: good morning, good to be with you
10:19 am
today, bill. >> bill: i will start with the border as i did with mick mulvaney a moment ago. six weeks ago you said this wasn't a crisis. do you still believe that? >> congressman lujan: look this is not the national security crisis that the president continues to describe. there is a humanitarian crisis, but it's created by president donald trump. when you go back to the threats even during the midterms, the president was suggesting that there was an immediate national security crisis and he sent troops to the border just to try to distract the american people with the gains that we were going to see in the midterms. then we went into a shutdown and the president took the same deal after 35 days of a shutdown that he couldn't take on day one to prevent that government shutdown and here we go again with the president doubling down with threats to shutdown the mexican border, which would have devastated the u.s. economy. devastated the u.s. auto manufacturers, concerns in many other areas including 27,000
10:20 am
workers in mexico as the mueller report was coming out. so again, i think the president continues to use immigration as a distraction as opposed to trying to work together in a bipartisan basis. whether it's immigration reform or other important measures that we could be talking about. >> bill: you're describing this as a political charade but look at the numbers. in the past month alone more than 100,000 illegals have been stopped at the border. how was that not a crisis? >> congressman lujan: there are a number of people who have been turning themselves in to border patrol agents as the law allows in the united states for asylum-seekers. but when the department of homeland security is reporting these numbers, i don't believe that they are accurately describing the numbers with a number of people that are turning themselves in the versus those that are being apprehended. >> bill: okay, well here's the homeland security secretary for president obama. this is what jeh johnson said this past week.
10:21 am
>> by anyone's definition, by any measure right now we have a crisis at our southern border. according to the commissioner of cbp, there were four apprehensions in 1,000 all medical week alone. >> bill: there's the word again. >> congressman lujan: i would say there is a humanitarian crisis of the border but one that was created by president donald trump with his policies whether it's his metering initiatives or other policies that have been put in place by secretary nielsen. look, separating children from their families at the border is not a humane -- it's not with the united states should be doing and we continue to see this administration engage in those policies. although we are seeing dominic saying is democrats is we want to work together on immigration reform just like you committed to do when you invited all the cameras in and said we could find some common ground. i certainly hope the president was sincere and that offering at that we can find a way to work together as democrats and republicans in the house and the senate. >> bill: they would fire back and say congress hasn't done anything. at last question on this.
10:22 am
if you look at the current reality, are the smugglers beating us at our own game? they are beating our laws and they are beating our system. >> congressman lujan: the united states needs to be working, again with mexico and with the northern triangle countries. i think the president is threatening to shutdown the border, cut off the money from the northern triangle which would only encourage more violence in those countries and encourage more people to flee for their own lives. think about why they are playing with their children. they are terrified that they're going to be killed, murdered or raped. what parent wouldn't do everything they could to protect their child? the united states can continue to work when it comes to strong policies in the united states and the way that democrats let the initiatives with the investments when it came to border security during the shutdown conversation. what democrats did was make investments when it came to our ports of entry and also provided more dollars associated for border officials, whether it was customs officials at the southern border or the northern border and also with the water ports.
10:23 am
we should be talking about homeland security and comprehensively as it pertains to national security. >> bill: unfortunately we are not going to settle this debate here today but let me most of the congressional investigations. this past week political frame of the following way they were of the following >> in a single day move to get a decade worth of his financial records and prepared to issue a subpoena for the full mueller report from the justice department." at the white house would argue that's harassment. is that what you're doing? >> congressman lujan: absolutely not. this is not political as our republican colleagues are making it up to become including my friend mr. mulvaney, who was speaking before me. there are authorities under section 61 oh three with the ways and means committee to get their requests and request the tax returns in this case. at this as an authority that republicans used as recently as 2014 and an authority that was used during times of president nixon, president ford as well.
10:24 am
so again, no other president in modern times has had to have their tax returns requested under 6103 because they've all voluntarily shared them. it just president trump promised as a candidate that he would share his tax returns after he was elected, he promised he would share his taxes to returns with the american people and he's refused to do so. >> bill: if i could -- i just want to interject her mick mulvaney says democrats are never going to see them and you started your answer by saying this is all political. however -- >> congressman lujan: i did not -- bill, bill i did not say it was political. i said it was not political. let's be clear about that. >> bill: okay. correction noted then. in the request on behalf of democrats this week they want four years of his tax returns before he was president. why is that relevant? >> congressman lujan: again, the president said he would voluntarily share his tax returns. he has refused to do so and congress has used that no market
10:25 am
this authority when republicans were in charge back in 2014. it was used under president nixon and president ford and all we're saying is share tax returns as you promised with the american people and let's make sure that you're following the same rules and laws as everyone else. this is congressional oversight as we are carrying it out. >> bill: let the record show that you did say not political, i want to make that fair to you. >> congressman lujan: i appreciate that. the one you must have a legitimate legislative reason. and what is the reason, congressman? >> congressman lujan: the laws are being followed under section 6103 under the authorities that are bestowed upon the congress in this case the chairman of the ways and means committee. also the same that the chairman of the ways and means committee would have. so i believe that the chairman of his team have put together what i would say is an ironclad request that has been submitted and is going forward. so again, we just want to work under the laws that we have under the authorities in this case section 6103 which gives
10:26 am
the chairman of the committee full authority to ask for these tax returns. and for congress to see them. >> bill: let me go to the barr summary, maybe we get it this week, maybe we get it in the first few days after that, there was a late friday court decision that came out that world grand jury information must remain private. if that's the case democrats who want to make that report public -- jerry nadler has said as much this past week. if that court case stands the democrats just lose that fight? >> congressman lujan: look, congress is taking action. not just democrats but republicans as well. you remember as mick mulvaney talked about the vote that took place on the house floor. 420-0. democrats and republicans came together to say this report should be made available to the american people. that's all that we are saying here, so no i don't believe that the court ruling hampers the
10:27 am
ability for this report to be made available not just a congress but to the american people, and that's something that we have been asking for and quite honestly at the president said a few weeks ago that he would make the report available, that he supported that to the american people. i don't know why the president keeps flip-flopping on this. >> bill: i want to get to one more topic. is there a risk that democrats overplayed their hand that we have watched over the past weeks here? >> congressman lujan: on the tax returns alone over 50% of the american people believe that that information should be made available to the country. there is broad support as well for the special counsel's report to be made available to the american people as well. so again, what we are talking about here is constitutional oversight that the congress has a responsibility to carry out and that's all that we are doing here. we should work together in a bipartisan basis in the same way the republicans did under president barack obama. let's work together. let's make sure that this
10:28 am
information is made available to the american people. >> bill: about 30 seconds left, you've declared you're going to run for senate in new mexico but you helped lead democrats to a majority in 2018. it is also clear that there are fractures within the freshman body in the house. have you stopped to think about what you created? >> congressman lujan: look, i am so encouraged by the work of our new members across america. i worked diligently to lead the effort with nancy pelosi the win back the majority in the u.s. house of representatives where we have policy experts in every area. national security experts down to those that have started successful companies and created jobs across the country. there's a lot of energy and passion and i think we should unleash that energy as we work to deliver for the american people and while i announce that i am running for the united states senate, does a lot of work to do over the next few years, including making sure that we continue to deliver for
10:29 am
the american people. that's something that we're working on doing. >> bill: president obama went public over the weekend in a town hall. what he suggested is that you run the risk of having a circular firing squad of when you go against each member. what did you think about that comment? >> congressman lujan: i didn't hear the president's town hall but i think that as a caucus we have family disagreements. we are a big caucus so you're going to have some disagreements but you have them as a family. in the end our values and our principles are the same one we want to talk about how we can deliver for the american people who are still having a hard time even though the economy is doing better there still our families across the country who if they had a $500 emergency, there wouldn't be able to fit that into the vamp to my family budget for the month and as we also heard o senator bennet onto colorado the concerns associated with wage growth has been stagnant. working families like the one i was raised and are still having
10:30 am
a hard time across the country and that's what democrats are committed to delivering, lowering health care costs prescription drug prices, passing hr one. moving in a bipartisan way for infrastructure and creating job opportunities across america and we've already been able to do that but mitch mcconnell has been standing in in the way of progress in the senate and that's another reason why am running for the u.s. senate. >> bill: i appreciate your time today thank you and good luck to you. congressman lujan from new mexico. please come back. we do thank you. >> bill: in a moment we will bring in our center group to talk about the battle of congress getting the full mueller report. ♪ ♪ what if other kinds of plants captured it too? if these industrial plants had technology that captured carbon like trees we could help lower emissions. carbon capture is important technology - and experts agree. that's why we're working on ways to improve it. so plants... can be a little more... like plants. ♪ ♪
10:31 am
>> bill: coming up the 2020 democratic candidates taking on their positions as others ponder jumping in. >> america must admit it has a problem of mass incarceration. >> we should get rid of the filibuster. >> i've made a dec
10:32 am
10:33 am
10:34 am
>> i will rely on the attorney general to make decisions, but i will tell you anything that's given to them will never be good enough. you could give them more documents than they've ever seen and it will never be good enough. >> bill: president trump lasting democrats trying to obtain special counsel bob mueller's report. time now for our send a group charles hurt from "the washington times" is here today. juan williams, fox news political entities. marie harf, post on fox news radio. and any tablets editor of townhall.com. good morning to all of you, how was the green room? >> always fun. >> bill: it is my sense that a new dynamic has been created this past week in the relationship between this white house and house democrats. charlie do you see it? >> i think absolutely what we've seen -- and the sad part of that is the fact that you have a lot of very important issues that are on the table and i think the reason that president trump won in 2016 and the reason i think
10:35 am
he feels confident about winning reelection is that he is remaining focused on those issues that people actually care about, viewers watching right now, that they care about. but here in washington we are talking about irs records, we are talking about the mueller report, we are talking about russia. all of these things they really don't amount to all that much importance. two regular people. >> bill: he's right juan, the issues get petrified and we stick on matters like this for the next year. >> i think what's interesting about this i think you are exactly right, something has changed. i think in the aftermath of the relief of the barr letter and the mueller report transition to justice from the special counsel, the thought was wow president trump he says he's totally exonerated and you can see that people who are trump supporter's were anticipating for is going to be a bump in his approval numbers there hasn't been, or there's going to be a victory lap in which all of the acrimony the bullying, that would decrease but in fact he's had a very rough week here in
10:36 am
washington on just the points that you're describing. taxes, health care immigration. >> bill: just to advance the conversation, here's jerry nadler on the mueller matter from this past wednesday. >> the committee is entitled and must see all the material and make judgments as to what can be redacted for the public release by ourselves. >> bill: 's or just to be clear the argument that he's making is that the committee wants to see everything and then they will decide what to make public. bickel based on the political dynamics of washington, d.c., democrats certainly cannot be trusted with seeing all the underlying material. democrats don't want to see everything because they're interested in transparency. they want to see it so they can then leak information about certain people in trump's circle who were simply look tentative part of the mueller investigation but didn't have any evidence or were charged with crimes, not indicted as a result of the investigation. so no, jerry nadler is not entitled to all of the information. if they to use it politically while democrats are fighting in 2020 in a primary against each
10:37 am
other, democrats in washington, d.c., are trying to get as much information and political ammunition as possible to give to the ultimate nominee. they're doing that through the mueller report. i just have to say when it comes to them accusing the white house of not being transparent on the issue of the mueller report, the white house has not requested to see the mueller report ahead of time. president trump is that he's not going to assert any kind of executive privilege even though he has the right to do so over the information and a special counsel is actually working with barr right now on the right actions. they are working together to redact information that the public should not see in order to preserve due process and protect people's privacy in the country. >> bill: speaking of bill barr, marie, a rare public statement from him on thursday. this is how it went. "every page of the confidential report provided on march 22nd may contain material protected under a federal law that protects confidential grantor information, therefore cannot be publicly released, so we don't know what he releases in the end but the law allows the ag broad authority on a lot of these
10:38 am
matters. >> that's true, but i think what we've seen from the other statements barr made after the letter when he came out and said this wasn't intended to be a summary, it sort of seemed like he was doing a little bit of cleanup because his four-page letter came out and then the president and his supporters started claiming full exoneration saying he was totally cleared on everything, including obstruction, which isn't true so i get the sense that william barr was getting a little nervous about how it was being used politically and the more time that goes between that letter and the full mueller report coming out it will appear political and partisan even if it's not. even if william barr is crossing every t and dotting every i there are a lot of us it's the shoe on the other foot and a democratic attorney general summarizing in four pages a 400 page report into a democratic president you would not accept that and we need to see the full mueller report not for political reasons but because as an american i actually want to see what happened in 2016. call me crazy.
10:39 am
>> i'm not accepting anything. the full report is going to come out. >> when? >> it's going to come out. the reason the whole system -- the whole process seems so politicized is for two years democrats made up this complete lie about collusion and you had people like adam schiff running around saying i have secret evidence that shows, that proves the collusion -- and none of it happened. >> we don't know, we haven't seen it. bickel okay, maybe william barr is completely lying and he made everything up but i'm kind of thinking that the doubtful. kind of thinking that i democrats are holding onto this because they have to but at the end of the day all that stuff is going to come out, the courts are going to determine what parts of the grand jury and come out, what can't. all these boats that we had our all political posturing that's why nobody believes it. >> bill: trey -- >> russia interfered in the election. it's a base finding of the mueller report. no commission -- >> we need to find out what
10:40 am
department of homeland security -- i want to talk about these taxes. the president's lawyer came out with a very forceful letter on friday afternoon and imparted by the following. "it would be a gross abuse of power for the majority party to use tax returns as a weapon to attack harass and intimidate their political opponents. once this pandora's box is open the ensuing tit for tat would do lasting damage to our nation. so katie where it the sign? >> when you ask people what they think the president should release his tax returns they will say yes but whether it's an issue they actually care about when it comes to voting is another question. president trump was elected in 2016 without releasing his tax returns. bernie sanders now is saying that he's not sure when he will release his tax returns. his wife has had an fbi investigation for bank fraud as a result of maybe why doesn't he want to release his tax returns. the bottom line is should he release them? sure. would it be more trend sure if he did -- transparent if he did? absolutely.
10:41 am
but whether the democrats -- they are not asking for them because of transparency. they're asking for them because they want to use it as a political weapon against the president. >> i think you're maligning people who are in fact pursuing the founding father's desire -- >> i just said he should release them. >> you say democrats to join us for political purpose. how about they are in fact fulfilling their constitutional job, which is to hold the executive accountable. if the clause put in place by the founding fathers specifically spoke to the idea you don't want foreign actors controlling or having leverage over this president. every president since jimmy carter has released his tax returns. >> you're making an accusation that he's been influenced. >> i didn't make an accusation, i just and why shouldn't we know know? >> bill: mick mulvaney told us on the show today that democrats will never see the tax returns. quick, charlie. >> if the president doesn't -- i don't think is going to release them and from a political standpoint you shouldn't but the point of congress is to oversee the irs. it doesn't have the right to
10:42 am
oversight -- >> the president? >> not a political agenda going after the president. the only reason they have a right to do this according to this obscure law is oversight of the irs. this is not oversight of the irs. this is harassment of the president. >> don't ask me just want to plant quickly from nancy pelosi. listen to her words here. >> it's a question -- to us it's inevitable, to them it is inconceivable. it is the short distance between inevitable and inconceivable. >> bill: you listen to those words and they will make the case about the mueller matter and the tax returns. >> i think in 2018 voters said we want more transparency and that's what they gave democrats control of the house and ask them to conduct oversight. as to katie's point voters may not care, they may have answered this in 2016, there are some things right to do even if voters don't care. we can't lose sight of that in washington. >> bill: quicktime upgrade
10:43 am
when we come back, joe biden tries to put his controversy behind him. are the accusations disqualifying? we will talk about that when we come back. ♪ ♪ kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin trusted advice for life. kevin, how's your mom? life well planned. see what a raymond james financial advisor can do for you. >> america will never be a socialist country
10:44 am
10:45 am
10:46 am
>> sometimes i think president trump is a tragedy in two acts. you better wake up. if this country can't afford more years of a president looking to settle personal scores. >> i don't see him as a threat. i think is only a threat to himself. >> bill: a preview of the attacks to come between president trump and joe biden sure the former vice president decide to announce a run in 2020. nice to see you all on a sunday. that comment from joe biden was on friday, that was inside an event. when he came outside he talked
10:47 am
again with cameras. >> i'm sorry i didn't understand more. i'm not sorry for any of my intentions. i'm not sorry for anything that i have ever done, i have never been disrespectful intentionally to a man or a woman. >> bill: so marie, you start how did you do? >> i think he handled this pretty well because it was a tough situation when these stories started coming out and people were trying to put them in the #metoo context when none of the women had said these were sexual allegations and quite frankly i think joe biden news on this are becoming. there he knows that there are other people particularly in the democratic party, don't want him to run think is past its prime, he had to be prepared for this but the bottom line is when you look at democratic voters, or voters in general, there's still a lot of support for joe biden in the polls. democrats know that. they're still a lot of support for the obama-biden eight years that he's going to run. if that's going to be a key part of his platform if he runs.
10:48 am
i was part of his very successful eight years so i think he did the right thing by threading the needle and saying everyone should have their personal space respected and i have learned that may be of my behavior isn't appropriate anymore, but there is no one i think it was ever worked with joe biden who don't think is empathetic and don't think he is a decent person. and that came through this week. >> bill: there seem to be this trip last week. >> and he admitted that he thinks more woman will probably come out with some kind of allegations saying i've met thousands of people and taking thousands of photo. but he accidentally or maybe purposefully admitted that he was going to run for president. we've been waiting for them to officially announce. he was asked if it would change the way he campaigned, absolutely it will change the way a campaign so he's confirming that he's getting into the race. actually think he didn't handle this very well and this is why. the accusations came out he did the video, which was fine but by joking about it during his first public appearance in front of the crowd that he was giving, he
10:49 am
kind of degraded the sincerity of not the apology but of the explanation of invading people's space and moreover it was a huge distraction so he was actually saying. if you listen to the speech that joe biden gave him he talked about blue-collar workers. he talked about making more money for the work -- making a pitch to voters he's going to be competing with donald trump or in places like ohio michigan and wisconsin and all the headlines were about his joke about being able to hug people because he got permission. >> bill: you're suggesting he minimalize the allegations? >> he did that and also distracted from -- >> far be it for me to get in between the ladies but i have something for the gentleman. i think it may have been the statement of the week. "wall street journal" editorial page of this past week. mr. biden hasn't event announce whether he will run for president but he's arty being hazed for his past as an insufficiently woke pale male. if he can't win by running as the white guy he is than he ought to retire with his political dignity intact.
10:50 am
charlie. >> it sort of hard to top that but i also have a hard time feeling too sorry for biden because of course this is a democratic party that he created created. if he doesn't want to have his democratic party holding up crazy standards and having crazy scandals over what is basically sniffing people's hair, he is a space invader, i don't like that. i find it very unpleasant but it's not like trying to liken this to some sort of assault is insane but it's his party and this is what he's created, which goes to the very heart of the reason why i think he is vulnerable in that general election. he's been here for 45 years. he's been part of the washington problem for decades. whether you love trump or you hate him the one thing that i think was most appealing for people about trump was the fact that he's just not from here it is going to do everything very
10:51 am
differently. biden will be going back -- >> bill: can you top the insufficiently woke male -- pale male, thank you. before you do, this might have been the tweet of the month i think. i think there's a new category for that when this went out from the president. >> i grab men and women by the shoulders and say you can do this and whether they are women, men, young old it's just the way have always been. >> bill: i will leave it to you. >> i think joe biden responded to that, bill, by saying mr. president i see you're being so presidential and i think that's in part a response to what charlie was saying that yes, joe biden has been part of washington but i think there are lots of people are not only democrats but independents who in a sense want somebody who will be steady, not juvenile, not bullying, not up to tricks constantly and creating enemies, demonizing people and so i think there's a real appetite for
10:52 am
normal at this moment in washington. to be on standby. a break here in the moment. would be democratic presidential hopefuls undaunted by joe biden other big names now getting in the race. the numbers are high, they're testing the waters. we will discuss who is making moves next. nd chasing down network problems. to knowing when and where there's an issue. beyond network complexity. to a zero-touch, one-box world. optimizing performance and budget. beyond having questions. to getting answers. "activecore, how's my network?" "all sites are green." all of which helps you do more than your customers thought possible. comcast business. beyond fast.
10:53 am
okay, i picked out my dream car. now's the really fun part: choosing the color the wheels, the interior. everything exactly how i want it. here's the thing, just because i configured this car online doesn't mean it really exists at a dealership. but with truecar i get real pricing on actual cars in my area, i see what others paid for them and they show me the ones that match the car i want, so i know i can go to a truecar certified dealer and it'll be right there waiting for me... today, right now. this is truecar.
10:54 am
>> flyover states are my states. the flyover states are your states and the flyover states are going to start governing in the united states of america again. >> bill: that's ohio democrat tim ryan announcing he's joining one of the largest primary field we've ever seen. back now with the panel. nice to see you all again. a triple dose here today. tim ryan is making the case that he could appeal these trump voters in wisconsin, michigan indiana, ohio. we will see if that's the case. but here's what i want to show you. in 2016, here were the republican candidates. we had 17. look at the names, look at the faces. so far in 2019 on the democratic side we have 17. look at the names and look at
10:55 am
the faces on the screen. at this was without joe biden without eric swalwell from california, without howard schultz. to the panel van, who he believed based on that screen so far who may not be on that screen, who's got the staying power? >> i think joe biden has the staying power. bernie sanders has a staying power because he is the energy of the left on his side and i think pete buttigieg has the power because he is an outsider, governed as a mayor is a small town in vienna, a different message and he's authentic where as other candidates like kirsten gillibrand and a and elizabeth warren are trying much too hard to try and impress voters who they think need to vote for them to get to the primary. >> actually completely agree with katie. i think of those three names i would put on my list of people that will survive through iowa, new hampshire certainly come out also leaped on mike also probably add beto o'rourke to that because even though he has doesn't have specific policies and some people are criticizing that he has that magic the political magic you can't teach. he has star power he is getting
10:56 am
huge crowds and he's raising money. in terms of the senate candidates, the people that are currently senators that are running, i think kamala harris probably of that group. she is the most money, -- >> bill: your list is very long greatest >> i give you five. i gave you five. >> bill: five at the moment. >> we have the most diverse crowd in history which i'm really proud of. candidates should look like america, should look more like america but of my five i think will be that top contenders, four of those are white men which is interesting. >> i think what's interesting to me at this point is looking at those lists that you put up his money because it used to be that money was definitive then after 2016, trump wasn't the top fund-raiser in the republican primaries or the general election and obviously he's our president. this time around bernie sanders is doing very well with donors joe biden is a little struggling because he got to the line but he will do well, beto o'rourke is doing well but i don't think it's going to define -- right now it's a jump ball 2022 the
10:57 am
democrats and i think they are searching. >> if you take people like tim ryan and joe biden or mayor pete, that's probably the smart group democrats to take in terms of challenging president trump and taking back those voters that he took from the democratic traditional fold. the problem is the democratic primaries focused on all these crazy issues like supporting open borders the green new deal. we are about reparations now. this is insane stuff that is not going to play well in regular america. >> fantasy that that's what -- i will tell you what democrats are talking about. they are talking about health care, they are talking about demonizing immigrants unfairly. they are talking about a spike in terms of hate crimes, anti-semitic action in this country under this president. nobody is spoken about the green new deal. >> dogma how to get people health care and i think for most democratic voters, and maybe this is my hope, but the one
10:58 am
litmus test isn't medicare for all, it's not the green new deal it's who most able to beat donald trump, that has to be the focus for democratic primary voters. it's why the people i put in that top category right now fit that bill. >> bill: effect to leave it there, sorry charlie. thanks marie thank you katie thank you juan. great panel today thank you. we will see you all next sunday. that's it for this week. have a great weekend and a great week. chris wallace is back here on sunday of next week. see you tomorrow morning 9:00 eastern time on "america's newsroom" in new york city and we leave out with some of the iconic cherry blossom trees that reached their peak bloom this week and it was stunning here in our nation's capital. enjoy your sunday, everybody. goodbye. ♪ ♪
10:59 am
11:00 am
(male announcer) up next, how would you like to get the celebrity secret for ageless skin? (female announcer) find out how in this paid presentation for meaningful beauty. (male announcer) as cindy crawford unveils her newest youth activating breakthrough. (female announcer) and watch what happens when cindy invites grey's anatomy star ellen pompeo to try the evolutionary secret that's kept cindy's skin looking so youthful for so long. when you see the pictures of cindy at age 31 and then now at 52 her skin actually looks more radiant now than it did then. so, you know, whatever she's doing, i'm down to try. (male announcer) and ellen is not the only one. models, actresses... (female announcer) ...so many women are trying cindy's secret and looking surprisingly youthful for t

55 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on