Machine Language Manager (MLM) is a 2KB cartridge written by Andy Guevara in 1981 for the Bally Arcade/Astrocade. It was released by The Bit Fiddlers in late 1981/early 1982.
This 44:04 minute video shows five example programs for use with the Machine Language Manager cartridge, a machine language monitor that allows direct access to programming the Z80 CPU. This cartridge does not require extra memory to use it, but it can take advantage of extra RAM if it is available.
The five machine language programs are:
1) Critter, by Brett Bilbrey - Display and move a Space Invader-like creature. Knob #1 controls its speed.
2) Standard Color Generator, by Andy Guevara - Generates eight standard color used in TV work.
3) 256 Color Program, by Jerry Burianyk - Displays 256 colors on-screen at one time. Knob #1 controls how many colors are displayed onscreen at once.
4) ASCII Character Set, by Andy Guevara - Prints the entire MM 3x5-pixel character set.
5) Goldfish Demo, by Andy Guevara - Displays seven fish in an aquarium with a cat in the background. A clock displays the time in H:M:S format. The cat meows once a minute.
The first four programs were included as machine language listing with comments in the MLM user manual. The last program, Goldfish Demo, was available on tape and as a separate Z80 ML listing. There is background and source material about each program. The programs are loaded using the 300-baud tape interface.
The five machine language program examples included in this video make up part three of a four part series. The series includes:
1) Machine Language Manager, Part 1: Overview and Background 2) Machine Language Manager, Part 2: How to Use the MLM 3) Machine Language Manager, Part 3: Using MLM Example Programs 4) Machine Language Manager, Part 4: Using MLM with the Astrocade MAME Emulation
This video is split into several parts:
0:00 - "Using MLM Example Programs" Titles 0:02 - Overview of Video 1:43 - Program 1: Critter 7:23 - Program 2: Standard Color Generator 10:49 - Program 3: 256 Color Program 18:07 - Program 4: ASCII Character Set 23:25 - Program 5: Goldfish Demo 41:08 - MLM: Wrap-Up and Preview of Part 4 43:48 - End Credits
This video series is aimed at someone who has little or no understanding of Z80 machine language. This video, in particular, can be enjoyed by anyone, whether or not they have any interest in machine language at all. A Z80 machine language programming novice, or anyone who has a passing interest in using the Machine Language Manager cartridge, will get more out of it if all of the four videos in this series are watched one after the other.