Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word  MSNBC  March 28, 2012 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
doing. but according to mr. gingrich's own assessment of himself, it's really just the start of his awesome drive to the finish line. now it's time for the last word with lawrence o'donnell. breaking news tonight on the killing of trayvon martin. we have new witnesses to hear from tonight, and for the first time we are seeing what the shooter, george zimmerman, looked like immediately after the killing of trayvon martin. this police video obtained by abc news shows zimmerman arriving at the police station in sanford, florida, in handcuffs, after shooting and killing trayvon martin. and in an exclusive report by nbc news, a source with knowledge of the investigation says it was then sanford police chief bill lee along with captain robert o'conner, the investigation supervisor who made the decision to release
10:01 pm
george zimmerman from those handcuffs on the night of february 26th after consulting with state attorney norman wofinger in person. the state attorney was there. it's not known whether that in-person meeting took place at the scene of the shooting or inside this police station that you're seeing right now where george zimmerman was questioned by police. we are joined now by abc news matt gutman, a reporter who obtaind this video of zimmerman on the night of the shooting. it first aired on abc world news tonight. matt, what do you see as the significance of this video in terms of helping us with the evidence of what happened here? >> it's the first time we see anything of zimmerman, lawrence, and it's quite remarkable. for weeks now we've been seeing that mug shot of his from 2005. he looks rather courtly,
10:02 pm
bearded. and now he looks more chchisled. rather well built. also is his face. in the police report and eyewitnesss said he appeared bloody after the scuffle with trayvon martin. he says trayvon martin cold clocked him, smashed his head on the ground. but you've seen the video. we're watching it. it doesn't seem he was that badly beaten in the face, which raises other questions. what really happened? so i think it serves to contradict, to some extension, his version of being mercilessly attacked by trayvon martin. >> matt, you've done extraordinary reporting on this. not just tonight but leading up to this. it's fascinating what's going on institutionally between the police department and the state's attorney office that made the call that night to not go ahead and prosecute, according to the other leaks that are coming out, and it seems as if what might be happening here now, is it your sense that some of what is
10:03 pm
happening here is the sanford police department has had enough of being criticized about not going forward with charges here, and this actually, this video, helps focus attention on the decision that the state attorney made after the police actually recommended a prosecution? >> it seems so. it was rather, you know, simple to obtain. all they have to do is ask for it and wait a couple of days. the police were quite helpful. perhaps they want to get rid of this story and show they did do their due diligence. there was significant steps involved in the case as well. apparently zimmerman was never given a toxicology exam. they didn't interview witnesses, like the people we spoke to today, including trayvon's girlfriend who was on the phone with him seconds before he was shot. those people were never spoken to. clearly there was some disconnect between the police department and the prosecutors. we have the source that was telling us that it's simply
10:04 pm
impossible to get charges on anyone unless the state attorney figures that he had a slam dunk case, and that was clearly what happened here. obviously, this stand your ground law makes it very, very difficult for prosecutors to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that george zimmerman didn't feel threatened, lawrence. and that's really the operative term. as long as he had reason to believe and can prove that, that his life was threatened or he felt felt his life was threatened, this law entitles him essentially to use deadly force. >> you've just ruined the night of every reporter on site. all you have to do is ask for it. that's not what the other reporters wanted to hear. i want to go to the 16-year-old girlfriend of trayvon martin who you also managed to interview. it's just a week or so that we've known about her existence. attorney benjamin revealed she was on her cell phone with
10:05 pm
trayvon on his cell phone leading up to this incident. and i want to read a transcript here that we have of some of what she told you. she said he was walking fast. when he said this man was behind him again. he come and say -- said he looked like he was about to do something to him and then trayvon said the man was still behind him. and then i said to him, run. paraphrasing what she said word for word. it's available in your report. it will be widely distributed. what did you make of her contribution to our understanding of this? >> again, it was another contradiction of zimmerman's version of events. for minutes it seemed trayvon martin knew he was being followed by this unidentified prn behind him. at one point he said there's this crazy white dude behind me. i don't know why he's following me. this continues. he tries to run, and then he
10:06 pm
walks. and then he thinks he loses zimmerman. and zimmerman catches up to him. trayvon martin asking zimmerman, why you following me? zimmerman responding what are you doing here? and the next thing this 16-year-old girl heard was a scuffle. trayvon's treasured phone falls to the ground. she hears the rustle in the grass, and then the phone cuts out. >> not -- >> she was terrified. >> math, quickly before you go, you talked to her. what's her credibility? >> i i think she's credible. i don't think she has anything to hide. i have no reason to believe that she's lying. obviously, you know, at some point this may or may not go to court, and she could be subpoenaed. but at the very least i think that it's obvious since her number is in the phone record, which is how we talked the to her, that the police should have talked to her, at least interviewed her, but they never have. >> they still haven't. >> that's one of the most
10:07 pm
surprising things about this case. >> matt, the police still haven't talked to her? >> no. i parentally prosecutors plan to meet her next monday, but that's only because the new set of prosecutors just came in. >> abc news correspondent matt gutman thank you very much for joining us tonight. thank you for sharing your video with us. and keep asking the police what else they have. >> thanks a lot. >> thanks, matt. joining me now are eugene oh donald, professor of police studies and of law at the law of criminal justice. and msnbc contributors today. and your story of the prosecutor. not an assistant state attorney. but being on the scene. whether he was in that station where we are nowing george zimmerman was taken. >> well, the source who i spoke
10:08 pm
with early is this morning didn't make that clear. but what is clear is that this case was investigated a a very high level. at the highest level. we're talking a sunday night, after dinner time. the chief of police went to this the scene of the shooting, which in it of itself is unusual. but then there was a confrontation between the chief, the guy who's charged with supervising criminal investigation for the department, and according to this source, the state attorney, the guy who would eventually get this case from police and have ultimately recused himself because he wanted to avoid an appearance of a conflict of interest. the high level at the decision not to arrest and not to charge zimmerman, that in it of itself is noteworthy. >> there's usually a special circumstance for that. it involves the shooting of a police officer, the shooting of a notable person. the whole world is wondering now, what about this particular crime? what about this incident, if it was not a crime?
10:09 pm
it was unintentional, justifiable homicide. what about it would bring out the absolute top level people, the chief of police, bill lee, who has now been, in effect, suspended. and the chief prosecutor who has recused himself from the kals. they george zimmerman's father is a retired judge. i believe he was a judge in virginia. so it isn't clear to me that he would be connected very well to the system down there. but is there some connection that george zimmerman had, either through his family or through himself, somehow, that would say if he's involved in this shooting, we need the top level deciders to be out there on the street. >> well, i got to tell you, lawrence, that is a question that has been racking my brain all day. we do know, as you just said, george zimmerman's father lives in lake mary. sanford, just to give you a lay of the land, is a sort of middle
10:10 pm
income to lower middle income city to lake mary, where the more affluent people live. zimmerman's father owns a home there. george zimmerman lived with his father. his name was on the deed to the house for a while. so the question is, that i would have obviously, would be did george zimmerman call his dad? i know my share of police officers. i even know a police chief or two. i don't know too many that come out of their homes on a sunday night to go to the scene of a shooting. and it's not as if this community hasn't had prior crimes, egregious crimes. i was told of a number of really heinous murders where you didn't see the chief of police show up. so i think the combination of that and wofinger getting directly involve saying don't charge him, we don't have enough to hold him, blue the inconsistencies in george zimmerman's story raise a lot of questions. >> eugene, o'donnell, what brings out the top level plays for this situation?
10:11 pm
>> well, to some extent it's reassuring that they were there. the prosecutor's job is to do justice. it's not to get meshed in legal technicalities and get overwhelmed? what did the evidence show in the case? it does not appear to show a justifiable homicide. and prosecutors have to be courageous in their discharge -- >> what we are seeing as he steps out of the that car, unassisted, by the way, he's handcuffed behind his back in the backseat of a police officer. you know, eugene, i know, it's actually not easy to get out of the backseat of a police car when you're handcuffed or any car handcuffed. go home and try it, people. officers very routinely will assist that person getting out. they were fully confident that this guy can jump out of that backseat by himself with no help whatsoever.
10:12 pm
when you're looking at this, what are you looking for this in first image we see of george zimmerman after the shooting and killing of trayvon martin? >> well, you have george zimmerman's account, which is definitionly the least reliable piece of evidence. he has a motive to lie. he's facing homicide charges. definitely suspect right off the bat. what you're looking for is object bive, credible evidence that's beyond dispute. this video shows that it's beyond dispute that there are no serious physical injuries. he's not in the hospital. there's no bruising that's observable. if he alleges that he was in a life and death struggle, this video belies that climb. a short time after this video, this in conjunction with the audiotapes, these are objective pieces of evidence that you put great faith in. >> it would be great if you're on the zimmerman side of the story to look at the video and say there's something that supports my story.
10:13 pm
doesn't have to prove your story. for example, if he had a bloody nose, sure. the people who responded to the scene as they say in their report could have helped him clean up the bloody nose at the scene. but would there be no blood on his shirt? >> the red jacket might not show what we're looking for. on the front if he had a bloody nose. if he was at very close quarters shooting someone who he's almost embracing in the chest, would there not be blood splatter onto him? onto his body if he was that the close in an altercation or at least his own bloody nose? some evidence of his own bloody nose dripping on the front of that shirt. >> this does not show a life and death struggle. there's no evidence of a life and death struggle. the bottom line is the reasonableness of his conduct. and if he misperceived a danger and took a holy unreasonable decision to shoot, that would be a very obviously important conclusion. from this evidence there's no
10:14 pm
evidence to this video, there's no evidence of a life or death struggle of serious physical injury, great bodily harm, and certainly no evidence that he had to go to the hospital. >> now we don't have an accompanying autopsy report on the body of trayvon martin. what we do have, and joining me now, is richard kurtz. he's the director of the kurtz funeral home. he prepared trayvon's body for the funeral. we have him joining us by phone. mr. kurtz, can you tell us what you saw in the condition of trayvon martin's body that might be consistent with having been in an altercation? any wounds to his knuckles? if you're throwing punches, even hitting flesh, even hitting jaws of other people, when you throw punches, your hands do not come out unscathed. >> caller: the only thing that i was able to see was the gunshot wound. examining his hand, i could not
10:15 pm
see any evidence like he had been punching somebody, as the news media say he was punching. >> i want you to listen to something that trayvon martin's father said today in an interview with the "washington post." i want you to listen to this, because he is describing what the police told him about what happened that night in the altercation between trayvon martin and george zimmerman. let's listen to what trayvon martin's father says here. >> he reached in his pocket to get his cell phone and that's when trayvon attacked him. he said trayvon hit him, knocked him to the ground, got on top of him, put his knees on his arms, pinned him down. put his left hand over his mouth, told him shot the "f" up,
10:16 pm
and proceeded beating him with the other hand. zimmerman then says he was able to unholster his weapon and fire one shot, and trayvon fell back and said you got me. that's what the police initially told me. >> richard kurtz, when you looked at trayvon's body, did you see anything that would in any way support that story. >> i didn't see anything that would support that story. >> let me go to specifics. his knees. he said that he had his knees on zimmerman's arms. that mines at some point zimmerman must have gotten free of that. when you're in those tussles on the ground, as you've dealt with bodies in the aftermath of altercations, the contact points, knees, palms of hands, the knuckles.
10:17 pm
all those contact points that normally get banged around. any evidence of scrapes of any type or bruising of any kind in those areas? >> no, sir. i cannot tell there was any bruising. however, a couple of days some of them could. but at least there would have been some evidence of a bruise that would still be visible. >> and i know you're not a medical examiner, but did you see two wounds on the body? did you see one that would have been an entrance wound and one that would have been an exit wound? >> i only saw what i considered the entrance wound. i couldn't tell where the exit wound, no. >> so you only saw the entrance wound, and was that in the chest, as we've heard? >> yes, sir. >> funeral director richard kurtz, i want to thank you very much for helping us with this information tonig eugene, it may
10:18 pm
tell you the trajectory of the bullet may be entered here and actually have to travel through a lot of body. it wasn't possible to just go straight through, which is the shortest distance to the body. what are you looking for in the autopsy report when we eventually get it? >> well, you're trying to see if there's corroboration. if there's a story that's been told is the evidence available. the credible objective evidence, is it consistent with the story? there does not have to be an injury on mr. zimmerman, of course. theoretically you could have a fight without an injury, but there would tend to be, certainly a life and death ferocious struggle. >> you've heard a lot of peebl people tell you. now we're hearing as trayvon's father just said that the police told him trayvon is on top of this guy. he's got his knees on his arms pinned.
10:19 pm
he's got him completely pinned and defenseless. both arms are now pinned. and he's holding him down with one of his hands additionally to stabilize him so that he can punch him and punch him and punch him. if that is true, how, if you're listening to someone tell you this story as an investigator, what does that person need to be able to tell you about how he escaped from that complete fizz control that the other person is exerting over him, and got to a gun that's in a holster underneath the body of the other person, who is obviously sitting on that gun. what does he have to tell you to convince you that he actually was able to turn the tables in that situation and then shoot that person dead? >> and that's the heart of the whole investigation. finding out if it's a believable, plausible story. there was a reinactment. we'll have to see what happened. that's a very good question as
10:20 pm
to how this could occur. it would be an extraordinary move t it sounds like it would be an extraordinary move to get from out from you should this kind of grip. >> we are looking at the first meeting of george zimmerman after they shot and killed trayvon martin. we're going to talk to a mother of a 13-year-old witness. she's going to tell us what the chief investigator told her this at&t 4g network is fast. hey, heard any updates on the game?
10:21 pm
i think it's final seconds, ohh, down by two, shoots a three, game over. so two seconds ago... hey mr. and mrs. harris, where's kevin? say hi kevin. hi. mom, put me down. put...the phone...down. hey guys. did you hear... the choys had their baby? so 29 seconds ago. well we should get them a gift. [ choys ] thanks for the gift! [ amy and rob ] you're welcome! you're welcome! [ male announcer ] get it fast with at&t. the nation's largest 4g network. at&t. ♪
10:22 pm
a 13-year-old boy may have been the last person to see trayvon martin alive before george zimmerman shot and killed him. we'll hear that tape of the 13-year-old telling the 911 dispatcher what he saw and what he heard. his mother will join us next and tell us what the homicide detective told her. they have names like idle time books and smash records
10:23 pm
and on small business saturday they remind a nation of the benefits of shopping small. on just one day, 100 million of us joined a movement... and main street found its might again. and main street found its fight again. and we, the locals, found delight again. that's the power of all of us. that's the power of all of us. that's the membership effect of american express.
10:24 pm
we're back with more on the killing of trayvon martin. first listen to a 911 call from a 13-year-old boy to the sanford police department. >> my brother said someone got shot behind our house. >> is your brother there right now? >> he's next to me. >> okay, can you give him the phone? >> yeah. >> hello. >> hello, sir, what exactly did you see? >> i saw man laying on the ground that needed help that was screaming, and then i was going to go over there to try to help him, but my dog got off the leash, so i went and got my dog and then i heard a loud sound and then the screaming stopped. >> okay. did you see the person get shot? >> no.
10:25 pm
>> okay. did you know the person who was shot or did you see the person who had the gun? >> no. i just heard a loud gunshot and then the screaming stopped. >> joining me now is sheryl grown, the mother of the 13-year-old witness and alica adamson her lawyer. how long did it take for the police to talk to your son? >> they didn't talk to him until mar 5th. >> but he had made the 911 call the night of. were you expecting after this incident that because he was on a 911 call that they would come looking for him? >> yes, absolutely. i figured since they had our contact information from the 911 call that someone would be contacting us. >> and how did you and your son finally end up talking to the police? did they come to your home? >> they did, yes. >> and how many came to your home? >> two detectives came. >> and do you remember their
10:26 pm
names? >> detective sorino, and he was with a female officer. i don't remember her name. >> that's chris sorino, homicide investigator on this case? >> correct. >> yeah. he's a central figure in this case now. and how long did take talk to your son? >> they were at our house for 30 minutes. >> would you say it was a cooperative discuss? was it easy going? how did your son feel about it? >> i guess, you know, he was -- is doing as well as could be expected. it's a nerve racking experience, and he's probably somewhat nervous. >> do you think, did your son think the officers were making thing to him. is he accustomed to talking to police officers? >> he's never talked to a police officer. not in that situation, no.
10:27 pm
>> and so, what was your sense of what was going to happen next in this case after they got your son's information? >> i was hopeful that there would be an arrest, based on what the investigator told me at my house. >> is that chris sorino? >> yes. >> what did he say to you? >> he told me that he and the other officer with him felt that it was not self defense, and that they needed to prove it wasn't self defense, and he said that i needed to read between the lines because there was some stereotyping going on. >> and you're reading between those lines about stereotyping meant what? i took it to mean that he felt that george zimmerman commit -- >> sorry.
10:28 pm
go ahead. >> that he commitd this crime based on whether it's stereotyping or racial profiling or whatever you want to call it. but those were his words. stereotyping. >> did you get a feeling this is one of those things you see in a movie or tv episode? here's a cop who thinks he has the right way of looking at a case. they're going slowly. they're not interesting in getting out what's going on here. >> i took it as he was referring to george zimmerman did this because he was stereotyping this person that was shot. >> i see. stereotyping on the scene is based on he was black that that's the only thing he knew about him descriptively. >> right. >> sheryl, did it seem to you, i don't know if you can tell this, and not necessarily, but did it seem to you that what your son
10:29 pm
had to say was considered important by detectives? >> well, when they first came to the house, mr. sorino did say they initially were trying to not involve austin, and they were trying to not speak to him. but they felt they were at a point in the investigation where they needed to. >> sheryl brown and alicia adamsome. thank you for joining us. >> thank you, lawrence. >> i want to quickly to eugene. when dealing with a 13-year-old witness like that. there is an understandable reluctance to drag a kid into something that might not necessarily need his involvement. what do you make of what you heard? >> this sounds like police work. sounds like you have a police officer committed to doing what is right.
10:30 pm
>> up next, george zimmerman's father broke his silence just minutes ago in florida. we'll play you the tape of what george zimmerman's father said his son told him about the final moments before george zimmerman shot and killed trayvon martin. [ donovan ] i hit a wall. and i thought "i can't do this, it's just too hard." then there was a moment. when i decided to find a way to keep going.
10:31 pm
go for olympic gold and go to college too. [ male announcer ] every day we help students earn their bachelor's or master's degree for tomorrow's careers. this is your moment. let nothing stand in your way. devry university, proud to support the education of our u.s. olympic team. fight both fast with new tums freshers! concentrated relief that goes to work in seconds and freshens breath. new tums freshers. ♪ tum...tum...tum...tum... tums! ♪ [ male announcer ] fast relief, fresh breath, all in a pocket sized pack. energy in america.er ] fast relief, fresh breath, we've got to protect the environment. the economists make some good points. we need safer energy. [announcer:] who's right? they all are. visit powerincooperation.com.
10:32 pm
10:33 pm
just moments ago george zimmerman's father broke his silence. up next we'll play that new zimmerman interview tape and get reaction from the martin's family lawyers.
10:34 pm
george zimmerman's father appeared tonight in an interview ♪ when your chain of supply goes from here to shanghai, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ chips from here, boards from there track it all through the air, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ clearing customs like that hurry up no time flat that's logistics. ♪ ♪ all new technology ups brings to me, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ spread a little love my way ♪ ♪ spread a little something to remember ♪ ♪ ♪ spread a little joy... [ female announcer ] fresh milk and real cream. that's what makes philadelphia. ♪ so spread a little...
10:35 pm
[ female announcer ] and that's what makes the moment we enjoy it, a little richer. ♪ real belgian chocolate whipped with philadelphia cream cheese. new indulgence. the moment just got a little sweeter. so every year my family throws this great reunion in austin. but this year, i can only afford one trip and i've always wanted to learn how to surf. austin's great -- just not for surfing. so i checked out hotwire. and by booking with them, i saved enough to swing both trips. see, hotwire checks the competition's rates every day so they can guarantee their low prices. that's how i got a 4-star hotel on the beach in san diego for half price. ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e ♪ hotwire.com for the spender who needs a little help saving. for adding "& sons." for the dreamer, planning an early escape. for the mother of the bride. for whoever you are,
10:36 pm
for whatever you're trying to achieve, pnc has technology, guidance, and over 150 years of experience to help you get there. ♪ my high school science teacher made me what i am today. our science teacher helped us build it. ♪ now i'm a geologist at chevron, and i get to help science teachers. it has four servo motors and a wireless microcontroller. over the last three years we've put nearly 100 million dollars into american education. that's thousands of kids learning to love science. ♪ isn't that cool? and that's pretty cool. ♪ george zimmerman's father appeared tonight in an interview on orlando's fox 35. he's in shadow to protect his identity. he describes what he says his son said happened just before
10:37 pm
trayvon martin was shot. in doing so, his firearm was shelled. trayvon martin said something to the effect of you're going to die now. or you're going to die tonight. something to that effect. >> joining me now the head attorney for trayvon martin's family. benjamin, trayvon martin sees a gun, sees that george zimmerman has a gun. he tells the guy with the gun, you're going to die tonight. you're going to die now. your reaction. >> it's a very self serving statement. there is nothing to krob crates. all the evidence clearly contradicts everything george
10:38 pm
zimmerman has said now they see this video tonight with theirees. and it is clear that what was in that police report was a fabrication. the american people are asking when is he going to be arrested for killing him in cold blood? >> natalie jackson, i just want to be clear this is not in a police report. that quote does not come from a police report. that come trs the shooter's father in an interview with a fox tv station in florida. the only quote we have a in a police report from george zimmerman that night is at the scene where officer timothy smith quotes him as saying i was yelling for someone to help me but no one would help me. natalie jackson if george
10:39 pm
zimmerman faced one who said you're going to die tonight, you're going to die now, isn't it likely that's what he would have been quoting. that that's what officer timothy smith would have heard him say? >> exactly. that's something from a movie that george made up. the attorney is absolutely right. we've been told by george zimmerman. we've been tole zimmerman's father. do not believe our lying ear ls. do not believe our lying eyes. the people are not crazy. they need to make an arrest tonight. we had an armed vigilante walking the street and he shot and killed someone's innocent child. he needs to be arrested. >> benjamin. i have full sympathies with george zimmerman's father. if george zimmerman told his father that, i have full sympathies with his father believing it completely. even with his experience as a judge. as a judge he probably wouldn't buy it because it's too perfect and too convenient.
10:40 pm
but when it's your own son, all it falls away. i have no fault with him advancing this notion that he said this. but how does it line up that we are challenged with now is given everything we now know about the trayvon martin, how does this line up with what we know about him. the police video we're looking at now, you mean? >> yes. this is the icing on the cake. you know, what more does it take for him to be arrested? don't take my word for it. don't take his father's word. don't take anybody's word for it. just look at the video, listen to the 911 tapes everything suggests that trayvon was
10:41 pm
walking home, trying to get home when he was stopped by this armed vigilante, and killd this kid in cold blood. all trayvon martin had was a bag of skit ls. he had a 9mm gun. >> and natalie jackson, attorneys if r the martin family. i can not thank you enough for getting in here and joining us tonight when we really need you. thank you very much for joining us tonight. >> thank you. coming up, we'll play more from that new interview of george zimmerman's father in florida and jonathan capehart, melissa harris-perry and charles blow have been waiting to react the all of this. and now we have the latest developments from his father. that's coming up.
10:42 pm
turn left. the passat is one of nine volkswagen models named a 2012 iihs top safety pick. not that we'd ever brag about it. turn right. come on, nine. turn left. hit the brakes. huh? how'd that get there? [ male announcer ] we can't hide how proud we are to have nine top safety picks like the passat and jetta. so we're celebrating with our "safety in numbers" event. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease the 2012 jetta for $159 a month.
10:43 pm
lease the 2012 jetta greetings from the people here sure are friendly but some have had a hard time understanding my accent. so to make sure people get every word of the geico savings message i've been practicing how to talk like a true chicagoan. switching to geico could save you hundreds of dollars on car insurance... da bears. haha... you people sure do talk funny. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. we've more breaking news from the news interview with george zimmerman's father. we'll play more of that interview next. ahhh, now that's a clean mouth.
10:44 pm
i wish i could keep it this way. [ dr. rahmany ] you see, even after a dental cleaning... plaque quickly starts to grow back. but new crest pro-health clinical plaque control toothpaste can help. it not only reduces plaque, it's also clinically proven to help plaque from coming back. plus, it works in these other areas dentists check most. new crest pro-health clinical plaque control toothpaste. life opens up when you do. [ female announcer ] at walgreens, buy two select crest oral-b products and get $2 register rewards. good on your next in-store purchase. two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
10:45 pm
i'm michael bazinet, president of creative digital imaging of bangor, maine. we have customers all over the united states. we rely on the postal service for everything that we do. the eastern maine processing facility is vital to our operation and our success. if we lose this processing facility we could lose clientele because of increased mailing times. we would have to consider layoffs as a result of that. closure of this plant will affect all of us. ♪ more with breaking news on the killing of trayvon martin and joining us now, charles, editorial writing for "the new york times," joining us with eugene o'donnell and melissa harris-perry and msnbc host joins us now. this latest statement from robert zimmerman, george
10:46 pm
zimmerman's father says trayvon martin sees that george zimmerman has a gun. it's been reported in a holster in his bell. and that trayvon martin's reaction to that, you're going to die tonight. you're going to die now. this is the kid who has skittles and ice tea. >> right. so none of this is adding up to me. maybe i'm the only person who knows anything about a fight. >> i don't think so. not with the two o'donnell. when did he say that? if the father's story is correct, he has his knees on both the man's arms hitting him with the other arm. his body is so far forward on zimmerman's chest, that the gun which police have said is in a holster in his waist is behind him.
10:47 pm
so when does trayvon take a break from the beating to look behind him to see that he has a gun on his waist? how does he get his hands free? now moves it up from behind his back to the front of him and then shoots him in the chest. the logic is not making sense. >> we have more from the father. >> george is trying to get his head off the concrete. trying to move him into the grass. and in doing so, his firearm trayvon martin said something to
10:48 pm
the effect of you're going to die now or you're going to doi tonight. >> we here have all met trayvon martin in death. we have learned as much as we can about him in death. charles has met with his mother, talked to her at great length. drawn a picture of him over time. sounds like an awfully convenient quote for an officer to supply, and it also is something that on the state of the evidence of what we know about trayvon martin doesn't link up, as far as i know, with anything else we know about trayvon martin. as i've written many times, nothing about this case makes sense. nothing. and it makes less sense now. we find ourselves at 10:45 p.m.
10:49 pm
tonight understanding it less. >> right. i think george zimmerman's case is beginning to crumble. teen the abc video plus the interview you just did with the 14-year-old witnesses mother's, where you have inspector sorino saying that he believes that zimmerman did not shoot in self defense, and today, this morning, we at the "washington post" had an 85-minute meeting with sabrina fulton and tracy and derrick talking about all of this. and mr. martin said something very interesting in his recounting of what happened. sorino is the one who came to talk to him about his son.
10:50 pm
i'm going to have to paraphrase here, but apparently sorino told mr. martin that he doubted parts of the story. so we're goinging to see from a lot of angles that george zimmerman's story is crumbling before our very eyes. >> melissa harris-perry, george zimmerman's father says trayvon filled him for a minute. which the blank moment between the last moment trayvon spoke to his girlfriend on the phone and the shot was fired. melissa, we need you here because we need someone who has never been in one of these physical fights to give aus fresh eye and ear about what all this sounds like to you.
10:51 pm
>> i'm sorry. what makes you think i've never been in a fight. >> i think i'm the one wo has never been in a fight. >> we'll pause and come back to that conversation at a later point. what i will say is this, i unfortunately disagree with jonathan that this makes no sense, because it feels like it makes far too much sense. it doesn't make sense if we assume trayvon martin is innocent. if you assume that the body of an unarmed 17-year-old minor is presumed guilty, potentially by zimmerman and apparently by various stages of the sanford police department, zimmerman's own father, other witnesses the assumption is somehow this young man is sul culpable in his own
10:52 pm
death, culpable in his own killing despite that he walked to the store and attempted to walk home unarmed. even the need to look at the video and to say, oh, look, zimmerman doesn't appear to have blood. he doesn't appear to have a black eye. he jumped out of the back of the police cruiser as if he wasn't stiff or harmed. in a certain way this is us falling into the trap. if trayvon martin had thrown a punch. you're talking about a citizen unarmed throwing a punch at an armed man who was following him. why wouldn't stand your ground protect trayvon martin? why does have the right to impede on him.
10:53 pm
which the evidence is clearly beginning to look like it's not. what's most distressing is we have to explain why it is problematic for an armed adult to kill an unarmed child. >> we're going to have to take a break right here. we're going to come back and analyze everything that's happened here. committed to our suppliers... you know, those farmers, those foragers, those fishermen... for me, it's really about building this extraordinary community. american express is passionate about the same thing. they're one of those partners that i would really rely on whether it's finding new customers, or, a new location for my next restaurant. when we all come together, my restaurants, my partners, and the community amazing things happen. to me, that's the membership effect.
10:54 pm
i used to not travel very much, but then i discovered hotwire. now, i use all my vacation days. i can afford to visit my folks for the holidays. and reconnect with my girlfriends in vegas. because i get ridiculously low prices on all my trips. you see, when hotels have unsold rooms, they use hotwire to fill them, so i get 4-star hotels for up to half off. now i can afford a romantic trip to new orleans. hi honey! ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e... ♪ hotwire.com energy in america. we've got to protect the environment. the economists make some good points. we need safer energy. [announcer:] who's right? they all are.
10:55 pm
visit powerincooperation.com. is moving backward. [ engine turns over, tires squeal ] introducing the lexus enform app suite -- available now on the all-new 2013 lexus gs. there's no going back. see your lexus dealer.
10:56 pm
we're back with final reaction in the breaking news night in this case of trayvon martin. if you kuld make one point, what would it be? >> the 13-year-old saw a person on the ground which would contradict what zimmerman and his father is saying. and there's a one-minute window. the other thing is anybody who has ever washed a load of
10:57 pm
clothes knows that if you are rolling around in wet grass because it was raining that night and you have to no signs of dirt or grass stains on the back of your jacket. either you had a wardrobe change or that's not true. >> can you pick the most important piece of evidence? >> this just underscores. i don't know why the summery rush to judge the case. >> jonathan cape, your last word. >> the one thing i've seen that crumbles everything is in the video when they show the back of george zimmerman's head. for someone who had his head banged, banged, banged in a sidewalk, it looks pretty normal to me. >> and melissa harris-perry the, the reason we're evaluating zimmerman's story is his story is the only one that exists. so if zimmerman's story cannot hold up and can no not make sense, then trayvon martin from the grave wins with his story of everything flown in here on the, melissa, and crowded this story.
10:58 pm
>> in the end george zimmerman deserves a jury of his peers and a vigorous defense. every american does. that should happen after he's arrested and charged. no one should have to try the case on the the last word. this should be gathered and presented in a court of law. this man is still a free man. and there's no possible for anything that feels like justice until he's arrested and charged. >> they had a chance to take him to the hospital for medical treatment. they looked at him and said he doesn't need me. >> they should have taken photos to document if there were injuries. >> there should be a lot of crime scene photos for this.
10:59 pm
>> they should have taken possession of his clothes as evidence. this has been a day almost like no other in the kags. we've had big gomts, but not a handful of them in the day, your sense of tomorrow in the case. >> i'm having a hard time seeing how the investigators in this case do not at least come forward and make some sort of a statement as to why an arrest cannot or will not be made in the case immediately. amazing in the developments in the killing of trayvon martin. eugene o'donnell, jonathan capehart and melissa harris-perry. thank you all for staying with us tonight.

193 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on