Skip to main content

tv   Lockup Tampa  MSNBC  December 22, 2013 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. >> ms. quevas, do you want to explain to me why i should not put you in prison? >> i'm tired of getting high. >> and you weren't tired before when i gave you a five-year prison sentence before? >> a drug addicted mother asks a judge to keep her out of prison. >> tell my dude look for someone who has collateral. >> just brought in on drug charges, a young man attempts to make bail.
10:01 pm
while another awaits sentencing for an unthinkable crime. >> a young lady was assaulted. drug behind the library. beaten within an inch of her life and brutally raped. >> if it was a crime to be in love then i'm guilty because i'm in love with you. >> an alleged murder and rapist seeks a lover and benefactor. >> scary is not the word but gives you the creeps. [ laughter ] ♪ with an average of 361 days of sunshine per year, life in tampa, florida, would seem like paradise.
10:02 pm
but crime knows no geographical bounds. on any given day, the two sprawling facilities that make up tampa's hillsborough county jail system how's roughly 3,000 men and women. >> your hands should be on the wall. >> most only stand accused of crime and are awaiting trial. others are serving short sentences of one year or less. they all begin the incarceration in the jail's intake department. but the crimes they're associated with range from horrific to petty and everything in between. >> i'm very photogenic. >> reporter: deandre barnes was arrested on charges of cocaine and marijuana possession with intent to sell. he plans to plead not guilty. >> melissa, who was that? >> my baby mama. >> your baby mama. you got that drama? >> if he seems at ease here that might be because this is his
10:03 pm
third stay at hillsborough county. >> slide all the way back. >> barnes is already familiar with the full-body scan chairs and facial scanners used to detect weapons or other contra banned that might be hid inside body cavities. >> barnes. >> i know you're barnes. >> go ahead, sir. welcome back. >> i said i wasn't gonna come back and i'm back. i let myself down. >> yeah, it still looks the same. i guess i'll make my bed up. >> though barnes has been arrested a half dozen times, the charges haven't always struck. he only has one prior conviction for obstructing a law enforcement officer. >> coming to jail i ain't going to lie, it's like, damn, how the hell am i going to get myself out of the situation. >> barnes hopes to leave jail in
10:04 pm
a couple of days on bail. but life of hillsborough county is a world of extremes. another young man confined here faces the possibility of never seeing home again. >> all i have to do is use this time as best i can and hope i get out. >> 19-year-old kendrick morris was found guilty on two counts of sexual battery with a deadly weapon. he is awaiting sentencing. prosecutors are asking for 120 years. >> a young lady was going to the community library, she was assaulted, drug behind the library, beaten within an inch of her life and brutally raped. >> after morris had been taken into custody for the library attack, authorities connected him to another assault that had occurred ten months earlier. >> it actually had been the assailant in another rape of an elderly day care worker. >> morris was also convicted of that crime and is now in jail awaiting sentencing. he still claims he's innocent. >> they say anything else, armed
10:05 pm
robbery or something like that, maybe i will say i'm capable of it but rape, no. attacking a girl, no. hitting a girl, no. at the end of the day, that's just not me. after looking back on the case and how we handled it in defense and how our closing statement was, the jury had no choice but to say guilty in the end. we didn't do a good job of coming out with the evidence. our final statement wasn't concise. it wasn't even clear. all they could have said was guilty. >> the library victim who was 17 at the time of the attack was beaten so badly she sustained brain damage and can no longer see, walk, or talk. >> my daughter and stepdaughter go to the library where this occurred. this crime that he was convicted of happened less than a mile
10:06 pm
from where i live. and the community, obviously, is happy to have someone like him off the streets. as a father and member of the community, it's difficult to keep that separation between my professional and personal self. i try to focus on the fact that he is not a management problem. he's actually, i'll use the term, he's a model confinement to me. never gives us any problems and does everything asked of him. the requirements of my profession is to treat him no differently than i would a petty thief and that takes practice. it really does. >> morris was arrested when he was 16 and has been at the jail for three years now. he is housed in the confinement unit. because of the nature of his crime. >> if word got out he brutally assaulted an elderly woman and a young girl and beat the girl into a vegetative state, he would probably suffer a similar fate. it's a situation we cannot risk. we could be held liable for not protecting him.
10:07 pm
for that reason he is kept here. >> morris gets an hour of recreation time outside his cell six days a week. to pass the rest of the time, he exercises, reads and draws. >> i draw because at the end of the day i can walk out of here right now and have a job or something i could do that could make me money. i could do something. i could be worth something. >> i wanted to do a religious piece where the mother was the main character. it was after when my mom was crying or whatever. how many times would anyone think about how it affects the mother where she has to have her child take an way or whatever. coming up -- >> we'll be moving our most problematic inmates today. the majority of the inmate housed down there are those with histories of assaulting us and are our disciplinary management problems. >> the jail performs a high risk move of dangerous inmates. and later -- >> when i met inmate jackson he gave me that back of my neck hair standing up vibe.
10:08 pm
>> i will be willing to try to kill any and everyone that talks to you or looks at you. >> accused of rape and murder, a male inmate courts a female inmate. ving trouble getting out of bed in the morning because my back hurt so bad. the sleep number bed conforms to you. i wake up in the morning with no back pain. i can adjust it if i need to...if my back's a little more sore. and by the time i get up in the morning, i feel great! if you have back pain, toss and turn at night or wake up tired with no energy, the sleep number bed could be your solution. the sleep number bed's secret is it's air chambers which provide ideal support and put you in control of the firmness. and the bed is perfect for couples because each side adjusts independently to their unique sleep number. here's what clinical research has found: 93% of participants experienced back-pain relief 90% reported reduced aches and pains 87% fell asleep faster and enjoyed more deep sleep.
10:09 pm
for study summaries, call this number now. we'll include a free brochure about the sleep number bed including prices, and models plus a free $50 savings card. and how about this? steel springs can cause uncomfortable pressure points. but the sleep number bed contours to your body. imagine how good you'll feel when your muscles relax and you fall into a deep sleep! i'm not just a back surgeon, i'm also a back patient. i sleep on the sleep number bed myself and i highly recommend it to all of my patients. need another reason to call? the sleep number bed costs about the same as an innerspring but lasts twice as long. so if you want to sleep better or find relief for your bad back, call now. call the number on your screen for your free information kit with, brochure and price list. call right now and you'll also receive a $50 savings card just for inquiring about the sleep number bed.
10:10 pm
ask about our risk-free 100-night in-home trial. call now for your free information kit and a free $50 savings card. call now!
10:11 pm
like many other newly arrived inmates at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, florida, deandre barnes is going through drug withdrawal. >> i told the nurse that i was coming down with the rashes and about five or six of them a day. and he told me use this chance to get clean because it is messing up my heart. almost two years. 20 months he said. 20 months. i go through this all the time.
10:12 pm
all the time i battle with this, come down, having to worry about getting just a little bit not to be sick. >> how you feeling off your detox? >> miserable. yes, miserable. i feel sick. my stomach is hurting but it's all good. >> it is going to get worse though. as the days go. your fourth or fifth day is going to be the worst. >> i have no appetite. >> you probably won't. you won't. you'll probably want to sleep for a few days. >> rather than sleep barnes decided to focus on getting out of jail. the first step is calling a bail bondsman. >> yeah i'm deandre barnes. i'm in jail for two felonies and two misdemeanors. >> barnes' bail has been set at $26,000. he will be released if he can pay a bondsman $2,600 plus collateral. >> 2,600.
10:13 pm
he just hung up. >> barnes next reaches out to a family member. >> okay, well, can you just call my dad and tell him to look for someone who has collateral. i really appreciate it. i'll check back in with you tomorrow. all right. i need somebody with collateral. >> until he makes bail barnes will reside in one of the jail's low-security housing units. but some inmates pose a greater threat to security. they're housed in the confinement unit where they're locked down 23 hours a day. today 180 will be moved to a new confinement unit and staff is taking an abundance of caution. >> good morning. today we'll relocate the inmates from 3 delta to 1 delta concluding the housing of the
10:14 pm
housing for refurbishment. we will be moving our most problematic inmates today. as you know the majority of inmates down there have histories of assaulting us and are disciplinary management problems. you will have binder chains available to you unless they require a box chain. there's about ten of them down there that will be in box chains, two-men escort. >> with inmates that are more high risk, we're going to do it in numbers. at least two deputies, sometimes three, maybe four. >> just grab a set of chains. 205, one man. 206 has assaulted us before. two man with a box chain. >> one of the inmates on the move is esteban murchon. >> i have got in trouble with the guards. i attempted to batter one of the deps. they say i try to beat him up but it was, i guess you could
10:15 pm
call it, a misdirected anger. >> he is just combative. so we have to be more cautious with him. >> he was identified as a certified member of the bloods but a high-ranking member. >> he has been charged with three counts of first degree murder and one count of attempted murder. he's pled not guilty to all charges. >> i'm not a killer. i'm a fighter, i'm not a killer. i'm a go-to man. i like money. i like the finer things in life. i'm a pretty boy in the streets. that's what i am. >> you got your pillow in there too? >> yeah. >> the inmates are moved in small groups with a team of deputies assigned to each individual. >> 1 delta, 51 with the next group. >> it's about a 600-yard walk from housing unit 3 delta to 1
10:16 pm
delta but there's no rushing. >> we're not here to do it quickly. we're here to do it safely and thoroughly. >> 1 delta we're about 30 seconds. >> safety is always a priority. and the refurbished housing unit has enhancements. >> that is a 12-year-old building we moved out of. this is a brand new building. some of the things they incorporated into the new housing unit is new technology and door controls. it will make it safer. >> merchan approves of some of the changes as well. >> it's nicer, i'll tell you that much. >> go ahead and take off your uniform. >> overall the best change i like is the uniform. i guess they decided to have us wear red since we're in confinement. i was getting tired of orange. making me feel like an orange pumpkin. i mean, i'm a blood. right? so my favorite color is red overall. the bloods wear red. so it makes me feel comfortable,
10:17 pm
more comfortable. it brings a smile to my face. look at my cheeks. >> in addition to his history of assaulting staff, his gang affiliation is another reason he's in confinement. >> if you openly throw up gang signs, mention you're in a gang or give the appearance of trying to recruit for your gang you'll be confined in here. >> that's what society calls us, a gang. i tell you right now i'm not a gang member. i don't gang bang. i'm part of a brotherhood, a nation. this is my church, this is my religion. this is what i believe in. i am a blood. i swore to myself this is what i'm going to do for the rest of my life. coming up, an accused murderer and rapist seeks a relationship. >> i want to be the girl in your dreams tonight. only god can judge us. afghanistan in 2009. on the u.s.s. saratoga in 1982.
10:18 pm
[ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve current and former military members and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve. mmm! this is delicious katie. it's not bad for canned soup, right? pfft! [ laughs ] you nearly had us there. canned soup. [ male announcer ] they just might think it's homemade. try campbell's homestyle soup. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
10:19 pm
staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly
10:20 pm
are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't take celebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or intestine, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, florida it's not just the inmates who must cope
10:21 pm
with the impact of incarceration. >> don't kick yourself any more. >> we slip, we fall but we have to get up. >> sonya is concerned about the affect her arrest is having on her family. she is in jail for violating her probation on a cocaine possession charge. >> i have two girls and i don't want to be a role model thinking that my girls think it is cute to go jail or use drugs or depend on a man. i don't want them to make the same mistakes i've made. there's no way in hell. >> tell me what keeps bringing you back here. >> the drugs to be honest with you. >> sergeant sarah herman takes a personal interest in many of hillsborough county's female inmates and wants to discuss her plan to get back on track. >> i'm ready for a change and ready to be with my babies and
10:22 pm
my family. >> how old are your children? >> my daughter's 4 and my other one is 3 and my son just turned 14 thursday. >> what is going to keep you other than your kids, from not coming here again? >> i'm willing to change. >> what's your plan? >> to complete my ged and finish school and find me a job to keep myself busy and occupied. that's the key, i realize. >> she didn't start taking drugs until she was 24 and addiction quickly took after her life. >> each day you have to choose and decide, what is sonya going to do today? if it didn't feel right, if you feel it in your gut, leave. run, run, run. and i'm happy you have your mind set on doing the right thing. >> i thank you and appreciate it. >> no problem. >> thanks. >> she had a five-year suspended prison sentence and was in a drug treatment program when she took a methadone pill and failed a drug test.
10:23 pm
>> i threw it all away just to get high one time, being it was my birthday. because it was my birthday, i'm thinking let me get high. i'm going to get away with it. it wasn't like that. >> she further violated her probation by leaving the treatment facility after failing the drug test and now she may have to serve her five-year suspended prison sentence. >> i'm nervous going to the court. it's really, basically up to the judge. and that really scares me. maybe she has a bad day or fed up with me bs'ing her and send me up the road. >> most inmates live with similar an excites as the impact of a judge or jury impacts their lives forever. but each day there is one event that takes the mind off of their uncertain future, mail call. >> you get your mail?
10:24 pm
>> not yet, man. i wish. >> that's for you. >> this is very important to them. this is their communication to the outside when that they are not using the telephones or have visitation. this is what they've got. >> but not everyone is lucky enough to receive mail. kenneth jackson says he rarely hears from his family or anyone else. >> it would be nice to get mail coming in. it doesn't have to be every day or even once a month. it can just be every now and again. just get a letter from someone say be, look, how you doing? everything going great? >> kenneth jackson, year i've been back here, he's got one letter sense i've been back here. >> when jackson got a love letter it is a welcome surprise. >> i see a sweet person inside you. you must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
10:25 pm
at least you have got me on your side if that means anything. i hope you write me back soon and keep your sexy ass out of trouble. love always. and on the back it says, p.s., i want to be the girl in your dreams tonight. only god can judge us in big bold letters. >> the letter is from a female inmate that jackson says he met at court. he says she was in a holding cell and they communicated using jail house sign language. >> i signed my name and booking number and she got a letter to me. actually when i got it i was shocked by it. the personal stuff she put in there and don't know what i did or my charges or nothing. >> if she had known his charges jackson's pen pal may have thought twice about writing. >> i was accused of raping and killing and burning a woman inside her vehicle. but i did not do this.
10:26 pm
why rape someone when you can give someone $20 to get what i want? >> jackson was arrested on murder, sexual battery and arson charges only two months after finishing a prison sentence for grand theft of a motor vehicle. he has pled not guilty for the charges and has been at the jail three years awaiting trial. >> when i first met inmate jackson, he gave me that back of my neck hair standing up kind of vibe. >> after 17 years in law enforcement, master deputy stephen gray has learned to trust his instincts. his first impression was supported when he looked at inmate jackson's paperwork. >> he has a rap sheet of everything from insolence to staff members physically and verbally. kicking on the door, violent behavior. if you add all that up, 15, 16 papers worth, it spells out lockdown for the duration of his
10:27 pm
time or his stay here at hillsborough county. >> in the meantime jackson can write to his pen pal. >> it says what is up my true love. i would be [ bleep ] without you. i would be willing to kill anyone who talks to you or looks at you. anyways, why don't you tell me you loved me before you left? if it is a crime to be in love then i'm guilty because i'm in love with you. so don't play with my heart, okay? >> scary's not the word but gives you the creeps. >> [ laughter ] coming up -- >> first i make the barbecued chicken. >> esteban merchan whips up a snack. >> the pickle juice gives you the hot sauce. >> and kenneth jackson turns his attention from women to men. >> treat them like they're my girlfriend even though they ain't. stamps.com is the best.
10:28 pm
i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announcer ] with stamps.com you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. i have exactly the amount of postage i need, the instant i need it. can you print only stamps? no... first class. priority mail. certified. international. and the mail man picks it up. i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4 week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
10:29 pm
10:30 pm
10:31 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. >> did the deputies say anything about the game this weekend? it's the hawks. >> who they losing to? philly again? >> yeah.
10:32 pm
>> i spend my days in jail sleeping when i first got in here. then i got more active. i knew it could break you or help you. >> esteban merchan is awaiting trial on murder charges and has been in the jail in tampa, florida for a year. but his stay hasn't been without some benefits. >> i started reading anywhere between two to four books a week. now i'm reading anywhere between three to five books a week. i write letters. i draw. >> i do push-ups, a thousand every day. exercise to keep my mind and my body occupied. >> line up on this side, please. >> with the same routine one day of the week can feel like any other. but mondays brings something to look forward to. it's delivery day for jail canteen. >> i get canteen. to be honest, the food here is
10:33 pm
not that bad. it's just the quantity. the quantity is too little. i'm a growing man. on the industries i'm used to eating bundles. >> canteen around here is like gold to them. it is probably one of the most important things aside from getting a visit or a letter. they are allowed to order something different from the normal food we provide to them. >> today merchan is making a unique version of jailhouse barbecued chicken, using canteen items. >> first i put the rice the barbecue chips and crumble them, mustard and sugar. put it in there and shake it up. put in the chicken and make the hot sauce. the pickle juice will give you the juice of the hot sauce. this is the messiest part right here. right now putting the pickles and the sausages together. then take the hot chips and mix
10:34 pm
everything together. i can't top martha stewart. but this is the result you get. >> delivering canteen to the jail's inmates is no small task. corporal mims and several deputies will distribute 125 orders in one housing unit alone. >> it's one of the most stressful times for the deputies as well as the inmates because we know that there is a lot of food. there is a lot that are indigent. which means they have no money in their fund and they steal. >> stealing the stuff being that the canteen means so much it can cause fights and people get hurt, whether it's inmates or staff members responding to the fights. a big deal. i think it's a big deal to everybody. >> because it has the potential to lead to violence even the theft of the smallest item is investigated. daniel feroni is currently in jail awaiting trial on charges of aggravated stalking,
10:35 pm
possession of a controlled substance and theft. he pled not guilty. but now he has a new problem on his hands. >> what you're saying is you didn't steal. >> i didn't steal anything. i had the receipt. i had the canteen in my box. >> he was given 21 days in confinement after the disciplinary committee concluded he stole a candy bar from another inmate. >> it's a misunderstanding, a mistake. but i have to go through the bureaucratic stuff to have my things heard. >> he filled out paperwork to appeal the decision. and now corporal debose will review it. >> so this is what you were accused of. you are accused of stealing somebody's canteen, right? >> yes. >> this was on the other shift. >> it says you went in there while another guy was in the shower and took his canteen. >> i have a receipt saying that i paid for the items. they're saying that i stole them. that is not right. there is no mention of the ticket number there in there.
10:36 pm
>> it doesn't say a snickers candy bar or a milky way candy bar or whatever. it just says candy bar. >> so i can't pinpoint that. i have dealt with you before. you seem to stay in trouble. okay? and because you stay in trouble it's like, this stuff just seems to follow you around. i don't think it's coincidence. i will take you down to 6 charlie lockdown. they will deal with that tomorrow or in the next couple days anyway. okay? we'll head down there now. >> he is well known because he tends to stay in trouble. it's not fighting or anything like that but it's things like stealing. >> what's up? >> nothing much. >> he'll stay for the next 21 days unless his appeal goes through the captain and he decides to reduce it or throw it out. >> in this case he was out of luck. the captain upheld the 21-day confinement sanction for allegedly stealing the candy
10:37 pm
bar. kenneth jackson is awaiting trial for a brutal crime in which a woman was raped, murdered and set on fire. he is also in confinement. for him buying canteen is not an option. >> my family don't want anything to do with me and i don't get money. the jail food kind of sucks. >> during a prior stay in prison he hustled canteen money by putting ads on a site looking for gay men looking for prison pen pals. >> i wrote the letter. i started receiving letters back. i started receiving letters back, i started asking for money here and there and i started building up money in my account. >> jackson says he isn't gay but it is not difficult to write the letters. >> treat them like they're my girlfriend, even though they ain't. but treat them like that. you want to keep them writing you. so you write sexual stuff to them to keep it coming.
10:38 pm
>> think how fun it will be to be at your house and in your bed with you. i know that boy [ bleep ] is so good and you would love to let me have it. >> jackson is once again looking for a canteen benefactor. he's placed a personal ad. if he gets a response he will send his letter off in the mail. >> $30 per pen pal with 10 to 15 pen pals, i'm banking. i'm banking. coming up -- >> this is your daily visit. >> don't mess with it. >> kenneth jackson takes pleasure in cutting. >> like the best orgasm that you ever had. >> knowing that my mom is still there, everything is fine. >> hey, honey. >> and kendrick morris meets with one person who believes in him. >> i'm proud of you. either way i'm proud of you.
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
10:41 pm
10:42 pm
it's my life. i'm going to grow and i'm going to learn. it's my life and you know i'm going to burn every single day until the world don't turn. i'm a warrior so you know i'm gonna earn. i'm a warrior. and then it repeats. >> when deandre barnes first arrived at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, florida, he was going through drug withdrawal. >> that's no joke. that ain't no joke. feels like death in your stomach. >> but after three weeks in jail barnes feels much better. >> i ain't felt like this in a long time. i feel like my innocence. i see it in my face. i feel good. i don't worry about waking up feeling sick. >> and barnes has more than just his health to be happy about. he received good news at a court hearing. >> i went to court and they released me on the two highest
10:43 pm
bonds that i have. >> barnes' bail was reduced from $26,000 to $3,250. a bondsman can get him out for 10% of that amount. >> it's a blessing. from $2,500 to get out and now $300, $400 to get out. >> barnes is hopeful his family will be able to come up with the money. >> i have an 80% chance of getting out. i ain't gonna say no 90s because there ain't nothing guarantee or whatever. but 80% chance i get out. >> kenneth jackson is also hoping for a change in environment. he spent most of the last three years in the jail's confinement unit and he would like to move to general population. >> i'm trying to go back to population. they're supposed to talk to me about it today. today is the confinement meeting. >> each week a team of deputies discusses the possibility of moving confinement inmates back to general population.
10:44 pm
but sarah herman thinks that is unlikely in jackson's case. >> kenneth jackson is simply in confinement because he cannot cope in general population. he is more afraid of being in general pop with other inmates with a roommate and cell mate. we've tried a couple times to get him to go to general population. he didn't last 24 hours. he did not feel safe. go put your clothes on. >> jackson's coping issues are not limited to general population. he recently cut himself in order to deal with the stress of living in confinement. >> the best way to relieve the pressure. i cut on myself. i cut my arm. when i bleed and got the pain it relaxes me. it's like having the most orgasm you can ever have. my blood pressure is 147/104 and i cut and 20 minutes later it's down to 110/70.
10:45 pm
i relax. straight up. >> this is your daily visit. remember we talked on thursday. where are you at today? let me see your arms. both. both. don't mess with it. >> sergeant herman has come to check on jackson and discuss his request to return to general population. >> when you told me on thursday you were about to break, remember that? what's changed since thursday? you can't be about to break and go into general population. >> i was stressed out. >> you remember what happened the last time when you went to general pop, how did it make your feel? >> i was shaking and nervous. >> because what? why were you shaking and nervous? >> [ indiscernible ] i couldn't be around a lot of people. >> what makes you think this is going to be any different? >> you're wasting your time, jackson. every time you come back you are frustrated. we go through the same cycle to readjust you back into the way we do things.
10:46 pm
you get angry because you are not in a certain cell, right? put your eyebrow down. it's the truth. i'm just telling you your life. you end up in the restraint chair because you are doing something you have no business, cutting your arms. right? i don't know, you're playing your game? >> please let me have a chance. >> i'm not the deciding factor. we're done. got it? good. >> sergeant. >> got it. >> sergeant. >> all right. >> kendrick morris who is awaiting sentencing on two sexual battery convictions has been in confinement most of his three years at the jail. but unlike jackson, he does his time quietly. >> he doesn't give us any problems as far as management. he's moderately respectful,
10:47 pm
doesn't act out. >> morris says it's regular communication and visits with his mother that helps him cope with his solitary existence. >> knowing that my mom is still there and knowing that she is fine and knowing that she can see i'm fine. >> good afternoon. >> morris's mother, lisa stevens, who owns a dessert company in tampa visits him two or three times a week. >> he's not a monster. he's my son. i love him dearly. i know he didn't do the crimes he was convicted of. and we're praying for the day when we can walk out of here together. and we can put all this behind us. >> the jail requires visits to take place over telephone and closed circuit tv and they are limited to 40 minutes in length. >> hey, honey. >> hey.
10:48 pm
how you doing? >> just tired. i have been working all day since about 4:00 or 5:00 this morning. how you doing? >> i'm doing fine. it's not as bad as i thought it was. i have been playing chess all day. >> how do you do that? >> you have to draw out the board and rip up the pieces of paper and write all the different pieces on it and play like that. >> what do you feel as far as staying in confinement? >> it's not going to break me. it's nothing. i get used to it. if i'm able to see you all, have canteen and do my drawing and reading, i'm fine. i can ride this out until it's time for me to go where i'm supposeded to go. >> i don't know how you do it. nobody can do confinement like you do. >> you say this is going against me. i'm going to give up. i'm saying this is going against me, can i keep on going? if i keep on going that shows how strong i am. >> i'm proud of you. either way i'm proud of you. >> i'm proud of you too.
10:49 pm
how are things going? how are you taking it? mom. >> morris could spend the rest of his life in prison. the prosecutors in his case are asking for two consecutive 60-year sentences. he and his mother are hopeful he will be exonerated on future appeal. but they're not completely in agreement on how morris spends his future, especially when it comes to his desire to be a tattoo artist. >> i don't want to go through that again. >> i want to make a name for myself doing tattoos. >> but your focus is only tattoos. but your art is bigger than tattoos. >> that's one thing i can work on right now. but you know i want to make video games and all that. and i -- >> that's my point. how do you go from tattoos to computer engineering? >> you're not. art is art. you keep on working on it. >> let that be the plan b. you can do computer engineer in there.
10:50 pm
i'm pretty sure. god forbid if you are sent to prison, you can learn computer engineering in there. you can learn that there. >> i can learn all things. >> tell me usual learn tattoos so i can reach through. >> oh, man. >> i love you. >> i love you, too. >> let's pray before this ends. >> father, thank you will for this opportunity to share with kenny. i thank you that he continues to have a smile on his face, oh, god. he's coming home. i believe it. i have to believe it. i have to. i have to for his sake. i have to. in the name of your son jesus christ for his name's sake. amen. >> love you, ma. >> love you too, honey. >> bye. >> bye. >> all i have is hope. and i believe so much. so much in him that i'm
10:51 pm
confident that he is going to come home. everything else falls together. however redemption takes place, it will take place. coming up -- >> any other reason why i should not put you in prison? >> because of my girls that are 3 and 4. >> did you think about your girls before you used while you were in a residential treatment facility? >> sonya learns her fate. >> anything else you'd like to add? afghanistan in 2009. on the u.s.s. saratoga in 1982. [ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve current and former military members and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
10:52 pm
10:53 pm
10:54 pm
after deandre barnes' bail was reduced, his release came to fruition. he's a free man for now but will still have to face his drug possession charges.
10:55 pm
>> i'm at the crib right now. home sweet home. trying not to go back. i ain't trying to go back there. you know what i'm saying? trying to stay out of there. >> staying out of jail is often difficult for a drug addict. sonia cuevas is back for her third probation violation on a cocaine possession charge. she was 47 days into a court ordered drug treatment program when she tested positive for methadone and ran away from the treatment facility. >> they used to say believe it or not when you leave the rehab, you'll miss it. i'd be like, yeah, right. as soon as i left, the next day, i did. because i actually knew what i threw away was like, not even worth we runing for. >> two months after leaving the treatment program, she turned herself in to authorities with hopes she would get another chance at rehabilitation.
10:56 pm
cuevas will soon face a charge who will decide to give her another chance at rehab or send her to prison to serve what had been a suspended five-year sentence. >> my priority is to do what i have to do as a mom and as a woman and get my [ bleep ] straight. i'm running out of chances. it won't get any better. it will just get worse from here. >> be seated. come to order. no talking, please. >> cuevas must now convince judge vivian corbo to give her that second chance. >> please raise your right hand. swear to tell the truth, nothing but the truth so help you god? >> yes. >> you can put your hand down. what's your true and correct legal name? >> sonya maria cuevas. >> the judge is known for recommending rehab but she's seen cuevas before. >> you were in mandatory prison. i gave you residential treatment and you walked away from it. you want to explain to me why i should not put you in prison?
10:57 pm
>> i'm just tired of getting high. i'm tired. >> and you weren't tired when i gave you a five-year suspended prison sentence before? >> yes. >> you're just a little more tired now? >> yes. >> is that what it is? >> yes. >> any other reason why i should not put you in prison? >> also because of my girls that are 3 and 4. >> did you think about your girls when you absconded? >> yes. >> did you think about your girls before you used while you were in a residential treatment facility? no. >> how old are you? >> 32. >> 32 years old. how many times have you violated my probation now? >> this is the third one. >> the third one. unfortunately, she has not convinced me with any sincerity at all. and after six years of this, i am not inclined to waste another residential bed on someone who is not sincere. is there anything else you would
10:58 pm
like to add? >> yes, ma'am. >> go ahead. >> to the methadone usage, it was somebody that no longer is in my life that didn't really love me the way i thought they did. by bringing that to me when i'm in recovery. i was doing good. i was working and on phase ii. >> anything further to add? >> no, your honor. we've covered it. >> all right. is there anything you would like to add? >> again, your honor, we have not seen her complete the program. give her the opportunity to complete the in jail drug treatment program. and then pro into a residential. >> had she not absconded, i would have considered that. but absconding with a five-year prison extension hanging over your hes says a lot to this court. having found her in willful violation, i will send her to 36 months in court. she has 30 days to appeal. the reason i didn't give you the five is because you turned yourself in. you have 30 days to appeal.
10:59 pm
good luck to you. i'm going to recommend a drug treatment modality in florida state prison. thank you. next case, please. >> the ruling means she will soon pack up her belongings and board a bus from the hillsborough county jail en route to a florida state prison for the next three years. >> i just didn't think it was fair for her to act like she knew if i was being sincere or not. regardless of you being an addict, you can mess up. it doesn't mean you're not being sincere and you don't care. and i feel like she just threw the book at me and gave up on me. but it is what it is. i made my grave. now i've just got to deal with it.
11:00 pm
from nbc news in washington, the world's longest running television program. this is "meet the press" with david gregory. >> and good sunday morning. a miserable holiday weekend for millions across the country as deadly tornadoes, snow, ice, freezing rain affect much of the u.s. this morning. a lot of people having a hard time getting together with their families for the holidays. here in washington, it's beginning to look a lot like a tropical depression. incredibly warm. temperatures around 70 degrees. that's it for the weather this morning. the top issues we're going to explore. obamacare and the crisis over the government's s

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on