Skip to main content

tv   Lockup  MSNBC  December 28, 2013 8:00pm-9:01pm PST

8:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. an inmate defends himself against a violent attack. >> everybody step to your rooms. >> now authorities want to know if he took it too far. >> there's no longer an assault on you. now you're beating the hell out of him. >> while another inmate takes creative steps to send his love to the girlfriend he allegedly, accidentally shot. ♪ i understand you're feeling down ♪ >> two cell mates deal with drug
8:01 pm
addiction. >> i'm an animal. i don't care about anything or anyone. >> and motherhood. >> big hug! >> by day, boston, massachusetts is both a modern metropolis and home to some of america's earliest historical sights. but like all big cities there is an underbelly of drugs and crime that is left to the city's law enforcement agencies to combat. located just outside downtown is a key landmark in that battle, the suffolk county jail. >> the jail is a maximum security facility, it holds anyone who is arrested and held on a bail they can't make. that could be someone charged with shoplifting and it is very frequently someone charged with homicide.
8:02 pm
>> unlike prison where all inmates have been convicted and sentenced, most jail inmates have only been charged with crimes and are innocent until proven guilty. suffolk county has an average daily population of 700 such detainees, along with nearly 2,000 other inmates who have been convicted and are serving short sentences. >> we're the largest sheriff's department in the northeast. so we're moving a lot of people in and out of here and trying to do a lot with them in the relatively short period of time we have them. the people who get that job done every single day, do a remarkable job. >> in some units, a lone officer supervises inmates, like a beat cop on the streets, it allows him to build rapport and actually has been proven to reduce fighting. >> i'll talk to you later. >> but in jail, fights still break out. policy dictates that both for his own protection and that of the inmates, the officer on duty
8:03 pm
not intervene until backup arrives. within seconds officers swarm the area. the inmates involved are quickly restrained and removed from the unit. please. close that door! close the door. pull that door. >> one of the combatants is 28-year-old ja-norris hayes. hayes and the other inmate will be treated for minor injuries while authorities piece together what happened. >> is the chinic available for one to come up from an altercation on floor two? >> and key to that process is a review of jail surveillance footage. >> this is our 2-1 unit. it's just about 5:00 p.m., dinnertime. these three gentlemen are designated as unit workers. they help to serve the food and
8:04 pm
mop the floors and the like. the tallest gentleman in the frame is ja-norris hayes. he's about to be attacked by a detainee with a weapon, a sock loaded with batteries. i allows him to strike the victim while providing distance so the victim cannot strike back. fortunately for mr. hayes he was able to deflect the initial attack. and what happens is mr. hayes gains the upper hand in this fight. though this started as he was the victim of an assault, he quickly becomes a participant in an altercation. the officer continues to observe the scene and wait the arrival of our response teams. you see mr. hayes now has gained the upper hand in this altercation. and as the response team comes in, you see them secure the participants fairly quickly. efficiently. and they'll be headed off to segregation. >> having received treatment for minor injuries, hayes is secured back in his cell. >> you were on top of him, how --
8:05 pm
pounding him. >> there was a point you had to stop. you didn't. he was on the chair cowering from you. that's no longer an assault on you. now you're beating the hell out of him. all right. that's why you're going to see the d-board. that's what happens. >> deputies will question the other inmate who has asked not to be identified on camera. then members of the jail's disciplinary board will determine what sanctions, if any, will be handed down. >> i don't know what happened. i was just doing my job, turned around, it happened so fast, i was just in the moment. >> i'm usually the type of person that mind his own business, not too anti-social because i am a people person. sometimes i can be the shoulder that person can lean on by saying hello or good morning, which might brighten up their day.
8:06 pm
>> hayes' easygoing attitude stands in contrast to the alleged crime that brought him to jail in the first place. attempted murder. he's pled not guilty and has been in jail for nearly four months awaiting trial. >> here i am again. and because of my past history and my record, you know, they kind of somewhat using that against me thinking i'm either a threat or a menace to society which i'm really not. >> hayes's long-term future is up to the courts. for now he's facing possible time in the jail's segregation unit if the disciplinary board sanctions him for the fight. he will have a hearing within the next few days. >> about the only thing i can do is hope for the best. you know. >> hayes is hardly alone facing an uncertain future. a short distance away in the women's wing of the jail, 26-year-old krystle o'reilly is currently awaiting trial on several charges, including armed
8:07 pm
robbery. if convicted, she faces five to ten years in prison. >> allegedly i robbed two banks in boston. >> i had always -- not necessarily dreamed but talked about it, joked about it, robbing a bank. a lot of people i know have done it. >> authorities allege that surveillance footage shows o'reilly robbing a boston bank with a handgun and a second bank a few days later. o'riley has pled not guilty to the bank robberies, but she does have a prior armed robbery conviction. she says she turned to robbery to support a drug habit. >> i use heroin and coke. and the way i use, i'm an animal, i don't care about anything or anyone. i don't care who i step on, who i abandon. it doesn't matter. >> o'reilly says her drug addiction has even caused her to
8:08 pm
steal from her own mother. >> i actually wrote a check. it was only for 90 bucks. i called her account. that's what her account said, she had 90 dollars. i was like, all right, i'll write a check for 90 bucks. she said i had overdrafted her account and now it's $150 and all this other nonsense and then fees keep piling up. my family doesn't have it like that. she gets by paycheck to paycheck and she pays for everything. like, who am i to take her money? she doesn't know who i am anymore. she just wants her daughter back. >> in the meantime her mother is raising o'reilly's 2-year-old son. the good news is her incarceration at the suffolk county jail has kept her off drugs and she has a cell mate she can relate to. >> our view is of downtown boston. you know, beantown! and the men. >> we got a good cell. we can see the men, too. >> yeah. >> the neighborhood that i'm
8:09 pm
from, the armpit of massachusetts, it's gangbangers, drug dealers, prostitutes, and addicts. i love it. i don't know what it is about that place because it's disgusting, but i [ bleep ] love it. >> i was 14 when i started shooting heroin. normal 14-year-olds aren't shooting heroin. i think there's very few times i've come in here and it's not direct result of using. there's not many times that i can say i've been in my right frame of mind and walked through these doors. >> melanie reddy's prior convictions have usually been misdemeanors related to her drug use. this time she's been here for a month on a violation known locally as common night walking. >> it is prostitution. it's a form of prostitution. anyone can be charged with it walking at night in a known prostitution area. welcome to the commonwealth.
8:10 pm
>> reddy has pled not guilty and hopes the charge will be dismissed during her upcoming court appearance, but whether she gets out or stays in stuff uk county jail, reddy says she'll be among friends. >> you ever see the boston show "cheers"? it's on tv. it's like where everybody knows your name. when i come in, it's not like i'm alone, there's always somebody i know here because i've done so much time here. boston ain't but so big. this is the only jail for boston. so you always know somebody. >> it ain't skill. that's for sure. coming up -- >> kind of rough. >> krystle o'reilly confronts a tragic anniversary. an inmate who authorities believe might have shot his girlfriend has something to say to her. >> will you marry me, baby girl. >> and later -- >> a smul misunderstanding. that's what i'm figuring. >> ja-norris hayes explains the fight. >> a misunderstanding over what?
8:11 pm
hoo-hoo...hoo-hoo. hoo-hoo hoo. sir... i'll get it together i promise... heeheehee. jimmy: ronny, how happy are folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico? ronny:i'd say happier than the pillsbury doughboy on his way to a baking convention. get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. stick with innovation. stick with power. stick with technology. get the new flexcare platinum from philips sonicare and save now. philips sonicare. where does the united states get most of its energy?
8:12 pm
is it africa? the middle east? canada? or the u.s.? the answer is... the u.s. ♪ most of america's energy comes from right here at home. take the energy quiz. energy lives here. take the energy quiz. "stubborn love" by the lumineers did you i did. email?
8:13 pm
8:14 pm
for most inmates, jail has a way of crimping their personal lives. for the seven months he's been at the boston suffolk county jail, 25-year-old robert sutton has only spoken to his girlfriend on the phone, but he's determined to take the relationship to the next level. >> listen, listen. i need a close-up. all right? will you marry me, baby girl? i'm serious. give me one of them little rice and bean babies. emily, i love you, baby. >> with the crime sutton has been accused of, it may be a long time before he can start a family. he's been charged with distribution of cocaine for allegedly selling 150 grams to a confidential informant. sutton has pled not guilty and though he's never been convicted of drug dealing, admits he's no stranger to the drug trade.
8:15 pm
>> oh, yeah, i've dealt drugs. i mean, i'm not going to lie about that. eave i've dealt drugs. just my upbringing, you know what i mean? survival. sell drugs. but i didn't sell those drugs. if convicted, sutton will face a minimum sentence of ten years. but that's not the only serious crime he's accused of. less than a year earlier a night time gun battle erupted on an east boston bridge. after the investigation, sutton was arrested and charged with assault with intent to commit murder. he has pled not guilty. >> they say that i was on the bridge. two people got shot. allegedly i'm one of the people that did the shooting. >> one of the shooting victims was reported to be a member of a rival gang. ironically, the other is the woman sutton just proposed to, emily vasquez.
8:16 pm
>> allegedly what they're saying is i shot them both. that's what they're saying. >> why would you shoot your girlfriend? >> i don't know. >> you were carrying a gun? >> no! i was not carrying no weapons whatsoever. whatsoever. >> so somebody else was shooting? >> i guess so. it wasn't me. >> but according to authorities, sutton was the only shooter on the bridge that night. they say he shot the gang member, then presumably by accident shot emily. >> they just say there's four videos showing a black male in a white tee, and black jeans, and they just see an arm, and a whole bunch of shots. that's what they're saying. this is america. you know how many black men there is in this world that might be wearing black shorts, a white t-shirt? that has to be me?
8:17 pm
>> sutton says after the shots ended, he realized emily was lying on the bridge. >> she said, something is wrong with my chest. so i ripped her shirt open, and there was three holes in her chest. >> while emily was recovering in the hospital, authorities arrested sutton and charged him with shooting his rival. he wasn't charged for emily's shooting because she backed up his story. >> sometimes i be thinking this ain't even real. like, am i really still here? because i haven't even -- i haven't spent no time with her since she got shot. i haven't touched her, you know what i mean? for all i know, this could be all -- this could be a figment of my imagination. she really could be dead. >> when it comes to the death of a loved one, krystle o'reilly is clear about reality, especially during this time of year. as she awaits trial for two bank robberies she allegedly committed to support a drug habit, she thinks about her two sons.
8:18 pm
2-year-old maddox is being raised by her mother. her first son cameron was born with significant birth defects and died soon after. then her fiance died shortly afterwards from a drug overdose. >> i lost two of the most important people in my life in less than a year's time. at that point, nothing mattered, absolutely nothing. it didn't matter that i was pregnant, didn't matter my family was so scared because they knew how i felt. nothing mattered. i just used. three years later, i still haven't forgiven myself. i don't know. usually i don't even cry when i talk about it. this is the first time i've actually had to, like, deal with it, without getting high because i've been using ever since. like my sally says to me all the time, feel, deal and heal. i haven't felt, i haven't dealt and damn sure haven't healed. >> as the anniversaries of both deaths draw closer, o'reilly has requested to see one of the jail's chaplains, sister christina.
8:19 pm
>> she's really in need. she's really going through a bad time with this particular time of year for her. >> kind of rough. >> what's been happening? >> this week is my son's anniversary, three years. sunday will be three years. the exact anniversary. >> this sunday? >> yeah. >> i see you're carrying a picture. let me see. >> this is my little man. that's mad dix. >> oh, look, he's sleepy. >> he falls asleep in the weirdest places. it's the small things that keep connected with him. >> that's wonderful. you've got so much to live for, lady. >> i know. >> you're doing well. >> he's what keeps me going. >> i'm just so glad that you're looking at your life the way you are looking at it. i pray that you have hope because that's such a big thing
8:20 pm
in your life, and making changes isn't easy. but it's so worth it. >> oh, absolutely. >> and you deserve it. and you can really sort of go forward and not only forward in your faith, but forward knowing that you can make it. because being in here is no place to be. isn't that the truth? shall we pray before you go? >> okay. >> lord, this is your child. this is krystle and you love her. and we want to pray for her and send her forward in faith. i feel it went very well. it was a good call to have her down because she certainly is just going through some pretty deep sorrow. give us patience, understanding and love. amen. >> amen. >> god bless you. keep you safe. i'm here if you need me. >> thank you. >> god bless. >> you, too. >> the way that i look at it to
8:21 pm
keep my sanity is that, like, i'm given the time to change me, you know, to change the person that i brought in here. i've taken it as, like, a chance to start all over. coming up -- >> they've told my daughter that i'm in school. however, now she's scared to get on the school bus because her mother doesn't come home from school. >> melanie reddy deals with some very hard truths. >> i'm not going to get clean. i'm going to go get high. i'm nathan and i quit smoking with chantix.
8:22 pm
8:23 pm
when my son was born, i remember, you know, picking him up and holding him against me. it wasn't just about me anymore. i had to quit. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. chantix didn't have nicotine in it, and that was important to me. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop chantix and see your doctor right away, as some could be life threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, or if you develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. i had to quit smoking to keep up with this guy. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
8:24 pm
happy birthday! >> for the last month, good friends and cell mates melanie reddy and krystle o'reilly have looked out for each other during their stay at boston's suffolk county jail. >> you could have threw it away. what was it? >> but their time together might almost be up. in a few days, reddy is due in
8:25 pm
court to face a charge of prostitution that she hopes will be dismissed. if so, she'll be released from the courthouse directly back onto the streets and back to the problems presented by her longstanding drug addiction. >> do you want to get clean? >> sometimes. right now, no. i've had years clean and been a mother and woken up every day to my kid and taken her to the doctors and my mother's for sunday dinner. i've done all that. i've had the fiance. i've had the house. i've had all of that. i didn't keep any of it. so what it meant i don't know. the minute something went wrong, went to the only thing i know, drugs and the streets. that's it. drugs and the streets, like that never even existed.
8:26 pm
>> reddy's 4 1/2-year-old daughter is now being raised by her mother and sister. reddy says they still have some contact, although her daughter doesn't know she's in jail. >> they've told my daughter that i'm in school. however, now she's scared to get on the school bus because her mother doesn't come home from school. so i don't know if it's better or worse. my kid's probably the only thing that's ever mattered to me, ever. she's too good to be around me when i'm getting high. she doesn't deserve that. when i'm not doing the right thing, she has no business being around me. and i have no business being around her. it's a tough pill to swallow because no matter what, i still get high. i thought my kid would keep me clean. unfortunately she didn't. >> right now, if reddy is missing anything, it's the temptations she can find on the streets of boston. >> we got windows in our cells that overlook downtown boston where i run at.
8:27 pm
people pay millions for that view. we get it for free. i don't even look out the window because it puts me right down there and right about everything that's going on, like i'm missing something. right now if i got out tonight, i know that i'm probably ending up downtown. recovery is not an option right now. i'm not going to get clean. i'm going to go get high. there's always that story, like, you see people get clean and sober. this is the other side. this is the not-so-clean and not-so-sober side. >> coming up -- >> when you ended up on top, were you punching into him? >> ja-norris hayes faces the disciplinary board. and -- >> i got somebody that's going to do me a favor. >> robert sutton sends a singing telegram to his girlfriend, jail-style. ♪ i understand you're feeling down ♪ ♪
8:28 pm
♪ [ male announcer ] own your obsession with the exceptional values during the season of audi. visit audioffers.com today. ♪ visit audioffers.com today. "stubborn love" by the lumineers did you i did. email? so what did you think of the house? did you see the school ratings? oh, you're right. hey babe, i got to go. bye daddy! have a good day at school, ok? ...but what about when my parents visit? ok. i just love this one... and it's next to a park. i love it. i love it too. here's our new house... daddy! you're not just looking for a house. you're looking for a place for your life to happen. [ male announcer ] if we could see energy... what would we see?
8:29 pm
♪ the billions of gallons of fuel that get us to work. ♪ we'd see all the electricity flowing through the devices that connect us and teach us. ♪ we'd see that almost 100% of medical plastics are made from oil and natural gas. ♪ and an industry that supports almost 10 million american jobs. life takes energy. and no one applies more technology to produce american energy and refine it more efficiently than exxonmobil. because using energy responsibly has never been more important. energy lives here. ♪
8:30 pm
hey there, i'm verify jonk kaw della cruz.
8:31 pm
unemployment ended for 1.3 million jobless denied by congress. and investigating a shooting leaving two dead including a rapper. no arrests made. finally, help for research ship stuck in antarctica. an ice breaker is moving towards that ship. i'm veronica de la cruz. let's get you back to "lockup." due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. ♪ >> wait a minute. we got a challenge for you guys. >> do the running man. >> do the running man dance. >> krystle o'reilly continues her time at the suffolk county jail in boston. awaiting trial for allegedly
8:32 pm
robbing two banks, but her life in jail has taken a major turn. her cell mate and good friend, melanie reddy recently had her prostitution charge dismissed and has returned to the streets. >> the neighborhood that i'm from, the armpit of massachusetts, it's gangbangers, drug dealers, prostitutes and addicts. i love it. i don't know what it is about that place because it's disgusting, but i [ bleep ] love it. >> i know how it is like being out there, especially when you're not ready. i want to really try to change, but she blatantly said she wasn't ready. which i respect that. she knew i wanted to get clean, so we didn't talk too much about using, and she wanted to use so i didn't talk too much about getting clean. >> not surprisingly, o'reilly received distressing news about her friend. >> we heard she o.d.'d.
8:33 pm
so it left me really upset. i haven't cried since i been here. that was the first time i cried. nobody knew anything further than that. they just knew that she o.d.'d somewhere the day she got out. then i got the letter from her a couple days later. like it was such a relief to read that it was written after the fact. like she obviously was still alive. it says krystle, what's up chickie? mean, nothing too good at all. wednesday shot dope and died. so i haven't been with the dope too hard. but that fear isn't as strong as it was because truth be told, i don't give a [ bleep ] about anything. it's actually quite disturbing. but oh, well, all bets are off about anything. don't get too comfortable not seeing me because it won't get too long. as we both know, [ bleep ] happens. so whatever. [ bleep ] i already knew that, though. i've got to go because obviously [ bleep ] isn't too pretty right now. i love you more than you know and thank you for everything. i do appreciate everything and mean it. i love you and i miss you. love you, mel.
8:34 pm
i don't even know how i feel about it. it's just, i don't know, i just hope she gets it. >> reality is also hitting hard for ja-norris hayes over the jail's segregation unit. >> never been in segregation before, you know. >> after he was attacked by another inmate wielding a sock full of batteries, hayes was moved to segregation to await his disciplinary hearing. while he didn't instigate the fight, hayes quickly gained the upper hand. surveillance video shows him ignoring commands to stop fighting while the deputy assigned to the unit waits for back up. it's up to the disciplinary officer to decide how long hayes must stay in segregation. >> did you fight back at all? what happened? swinging the sock at you. what did you do then? >> i blocked it and rushed him to defend myself. >> right. >> i ended up on top of him, and that was it. >> when you ended up on top of him, were you punching into him at that point in time?
8:35 pm
>> i really can't say, sir. >> okay. all right. because that's where the problem is. it's good and well to be defensive, right? but there's a point in time where if you get the upper hand and then continue going, that's fighting as well. that's how that's going to work. did you know the guy? like why did he come at you? >> no. actually i did not. i'm not even from here. i'm from georgia, sir. >> i understand that. you have no idea what his issue is. i'm sure he didn't randomly pick you out of a crowd. say i'm going to come at you. do you know what he came at you for? >> i think it was because of a lack of communication. >> okay. >> a small misunderstanding. that's what i'm figuring. >> a small misunderstanding over what, though? that's what i'm trying to figure out. i don't know anything about you. i don't know anything about this other guy. but you don't know? >> no, i don't know. >> i'll see if i can get it from the other guy. i'll watch the tape and get back to you on that and come back and give you my findings and tell you how much time you got to spend here, if any. all right? i'll take you back upstairs. >> all right, man.
8:36 pm
>> i never been in trouble here. >> i know that. >> come here. i want to rap some people over here. >> lately, robert sutton has avoided making the kind of mistake that would land him in segregation. but a different kind of slip-up has temporarily put him on crutches. >> playing basketball, came down, heard it pop, can't walk on it. i'm all right. >> you want me to match that? you want me to match that? >> all right i'll match that. give me back the crutches. hold up. hold up, hold up. >> sutton hasn't let his injury slow him down, particularly when it comes to planning a surprise for his girlfriend emily. >> i need to figure out something i can do for her. >> to do that, sutton has enlisted the help of another inmate on his unit. >> he's going to have me sing
8:37 pm
for her so she can feel good today. >> he's good at what he does. he's good at what he does, you know? he can sing. he can really hit the high notes. >> i caught him singing on the phone and overheard him one day and the next thing you know the whole unit was drawn to it. you know. that's kind of crazy a whole bunch of men drawn to one man singing. that's when i knew the boy had a talent. that's my way of showing my appreciation to you i got somebody that's going to do me a favor. are you ready? just because you're locked up, that don't mean you can't figure out something, some type of way to make your loved one feel better. you know what i mean? ♪ i understand you're feeling down ♪ ♪ it's probably cuz i ain't around for you ♪ >> i doubt i could sing. i can't hold a note -- yeah, i can't hold a note. ♪ i know you probably need me now ♪ ♪ it's really not much i can do ♪
8:38 pm
>> i mean it's another way of going up and over to show her that you love her. you know. ♪ at the present i'm dealing with my past ♪ ♪ hopefully there's a future that can last between us ♪ >> anybody can say it. you can say i love you, i love you, i love you. but to show it -- ♪ i love you >> to the best of your ability in jail, that's the best way to go. ♪ i need you >> at the end of the day, that's all i got. that's really all i got, her and my mother. so emily, i love you. ♪ can't take my love away ♪ baby i'm yours i'm yours ♪ i'm yours i'm yours ♪ i'm yours >> i love you, baby girl. i love you. she says she didn't expect that
8:39 pm
one. she wasn't ready for that one. i told you, you did it, baby. i love you. coming up, melanie reddy is back in jail. and robert sutton gets the visit he's longed for. >> will you marry me? stick with power. stick with technology. get the new flexcare platinum from philips sonicare and save now. philips sonicare. i was having trouble getting out of bed in the morning because my back hurt so bad. the sleep number bed conforms to you. i wake up in the morning with no back pain. i can adjust it if i need to...if my back's a little more sore. and by the time i get up in the morning, i feel great! if you have back pain, toss and turn at night or
8:40 pm
wake up tired with no energy, the sleep number bed could be your solution. the sleep number bed's secret is it's air chambers which provide ideal support and put you in control of the firmness. and the bed is perfect for couples because each side adjusts independently to their unique sleep number. here's what clinical research has found: 93% of participants experienced back-pain relief 90% reported reduced aches and pains 87% fell asleep faster and enjoyed more deep sleep. for study summaries, call this number now. we'll include a free brochure about the sleep number bed including prices, and models plus a free $50 savings card. and how about this? steel springs can cause uncomfortable pressure points. but the sleep number bed contours to your body. imagine how good you'll feel when your muscles relax and you fall into a deep sleep! i'm not just a back surgeon,
8:41 pm
i'm also a back patient. i sleep on the sleep number bed myself and i highly recommend it to all of my patients. need another reason to call? the sleep number bed costs about the same as an innerspring but lasts twice as long. so if you want to sleep better or find relief for your bad back, call now. call the number on your screen for your free information kit with, brochure and price list. call right now and you'll also receive a $50 savings card just for inquiring about the sleep number bed. ask about our risk-free 100-night in-home trial. call now for your free information kit and a free $50 savings card. call now!
8:42 pm
melanie reddy spent a month in the suffolk county jail, awaiting trial on a prostitution charge. the case was eventually dismissed. reddy has now returned to the streets of boston. but she knew her future was less than certain.
8:43 pm
>> i've done years. i've done months. i keep coming in and out because every time i use, this is my end result. >> the day she was released from jail, reddy was treated for a heroin overdose. three weeks later, she's back in the jail's intake department. she was arrested for being under the influence of drugs in a public place. >> seriously. leave me alone. >> when melanie reddy came in the last time, she was certainly dope sick. dope sick means somebody that's coming in from the street, they haven't had a fix, you know, in a few hours. it's when your body is starting to realize, hey, where is that drug? and all of those symptoms, the nausea, vomiting, cramping, seizures, everything, all those things are now coming to the surface. >> reddy will detox in the jail's infirmary, a process that
8:44 pm
can take anywhere from a few days to two weeks. her close friend and former cell mate krystle o'reilly says she's relieved to have her back. >> i mean, i don't wish this on anybody. but because i knew what she was going out to do, i kind of was hoping to see her walk back through the door, because at least i know she's safe. you know. at least i know we still have that. >> while she waits for her friend to be released from the infirmary, o'reilly turns her focus to rebuilding her own life, especially with her 2-year-old son and mother, who is raising him. today she's making cards. in jail, that takes creativity. >> i'm making crayons with tampons. since we don't really have access, you know, full access, anyway, to crayons, colored pencils, anything like that. so you've got to get creative. so what we do is take a tampon, and any white deodorant, take it in either a magazine, or a newspaper, and rub it on the
8:45 pm
color. magazines work a little better. they don't usually come through here frequently. so, you make due. different stencils. i get letters. stuff like that. i make stationery for my mom, my son, my nanna. pretty much anybody that i write to usually gets some sort of, you know, design. >> o'reilly speaks to her mother and son by phone once a week, but visits are few and far between. >> the things that i'm missing, like watching my son grow up. his first snow. she sent me pictures of him being in the snow, all you can see is like this much. everything is all covered up. you can see he's so red. you can tell he's smiling because his cheeks are up here in his eyes. i'm missing all this.
8:46 pm
>> there are certain moments of robert sutton's life he'd be happy to forget. after several shots were fired on an east boston bridge, sutton was charged with attempted murder of a rival gang member. sutton's girlfriend emily was also shot during the incident. sutton was arrested before emily had fully recovered and says the trauma of the night has stayed with him. >> i seen a lot in my life. but i really never had nightmares until i, you know, looked at her laying down on the floor with bullet holes in her chest. i just miss her touch. >> sutton hopes that after today he'll be able to put those memories to rest. emily has received approval for a visit. while authorities claim the bullets that accidentally hit emily came from sutton's gun, emily supports sutton's story and maintains the gunfire came from an unknown assailant.
8:47 pm
>> i have a scar right here. that's one of them. i got that one in the middle and then this one. the first bullet, i didn't feel it. i just stood there. then i seen the guy running to me. he did it again, and i fell but i was awake the whole time. i was awake. >> despite her wounds, emily says her main concern was for sutton. >> to be honest, nothing else was going through my mind. i just wanted him to be next to me. i love him. he's my baby. >> just being able to touch her, that's really -- i'm anxious to give her a hug. >> normally, the jail does not permit contact visits prior to conviction. >> he'll be with you in a moment. >> but due to filming restrictions in the visiting area, officials set up a temporary visiting station that could accommodate our cameras. >> how do you feel? >> nervous. i'm really nervous right now. >> hello, pretty lady. >> hi. how are you doing? >> okay, okay. come here, sweetheart. >> oh, my god. i know, i know, i know.
8:48 pm
i missed you. you look cute. >> thank you. you, too. look at you, man. >> it feels like a dream. >> i know. i know. it's going to be all right. you know the best part? i get to touch you. that's all i wanted. >> i love you. >> i love you, too, baby girl. >> for a second, i thought i was dead. but i feel better now. >> your chest and everything okay? >> i'm good. all right, i guess. you know -- it's healing. >> yeah, it's not that bad. >> that's almost gone. >> what about this one? >> that one is almost gone. that's the only one that hurts, though. how are you doing? >> i'm all right. perfectly fine now. i tell you that. perfectly fine. >> i miss you. >> i miss you, too, baby. >> just walking around.
8:49 pm
ooh, that hurt. will you marry me? >> yes, i will. >> i know you will. i want to kiss you, too. >> can we kiss? yes? no? >> i love you, too. >> tell everybody i said hi. i love them. tell wee-wee to stay off the streets. >> i love you. >> i love you, too. god bless. >> i love you. >> love you, too, baby. >> does it hurt to see him? >> yeah, yeah. >> that was a beautiful visit. i still can't get the smile off my face. so that should tell you everything right there. >> are you going to marry him? >> yes, i am. when he comes home, yes, i will. i'll be happy to. >> coming up -- >> i feel like cookie monster. >> it's a happy day for
8:50 pm
ja-norris hayes, but a heartbreaking one for krystle o'reilly. >> i see you soon. but you're progressive, and they're them. yes. but they're here. yes. are you...? there? yes. no. are you them? i'm me. but those rates are for... them. so them are here. yes! you want to run through it again? no, i'm good. you got it? yes. rates for us and them -- now that's progressive. call or click today.
8:51 pm
with 0-calorie monk fruit in the raw. it's made with the natural, vine-ripened sweetness of fruit, so you can serve up deliciously sweet treats without all the sugar. raw natural sweetness, raw natural success.
8:52 pm
8:53 pm
>> jail life can be full of surprises. this man was attacked by an inmate with a sock full of batteries. he received ten days in segregation for pummeling the other inmate. today he is in for a surprise. every once in a while they pass
8:54 pm
out small gift bags for the inmates. >> what did you get? >> snickers and shampoo, cookies, and deodorant. wow, nice package. >> like all segregation inmates he is handcuffed during his recreation time outside his cell. it is supposed to prevent him from fighting. in this case it just hinders his ability to enjoy his package. >> this is awesome.
8:55 pm
mmm i feel like cookie monster. >> the day also brings one of the few pleasures from crystal, a visit from her mother and son. she is awaiting trial for allegedly robbing two banks and could face up to ten years in prison. >> going to see him i'm not sad but when he is leaving i have had to feel it. >> go see mommy? yes. >> her son doesn't get to see him that often because i have to work all the time and i have custody. we're on our way. >> i love her to death. she's my best friend. i tell my mom everything. >> i love her.
8:56 pm
>> where you going? >> going to mommy. >> you're going to draw a picture for mommy and color. >> the door opened. >> the door opened, yes. here we go. >> it is crazy. >> she calls him half pint because he looks just like his father. like -- just like his father. >> where's mommy? where is she. >> hi. look what i got. >> come here. >> i love you. >> big, big hug. >> i love you. >> do you want to sit in the
8:57 pm
chair? >> it puts neefrg peverything i perspective. so i can do what i need to do. >> you like spaghetti? you like it. >> eww. >> you see should see what we get to eat, you want to say ewww. >> he is growing up like a little man. he is talking better and singing, playing freeze. >> freeze. all right. now you freeze. >> honestly i have to take this like a blessing because the way i was living out there i wasn't with him anyway. i was there physically but not emotionally. >> you want to say bye bye. >> coming?
8:58 pm
>> no momma's not coming baby. >> come on. i love you. >> love you. >> i love you. bye baby. >> come on baby boy. ready. give momma kiss one more time. >> i love you. i'll see you soon. >> say be good girl. tell her be good girl. >> be good. >> i will. you be good. you be good for nana, okay. i see you soon. >> all right. . >> all right. i love you. >> bye bye. >> let's go home. time to go. we'll see you. >> bye baby.
8:59 pm
>> when he asks me if i'm coming, like, what do you say to that? >> i have no idea when i'm coming. i can't say mom will be home tomorrow. like, i don't know. >> it hurts. it kills me. it kills her too. he doesn't seem to mind because he don't understand. >> i don't want to keep doing this. i don't want to keep hurting my family. my friends. myself. my son. it is too hard.
9:00 pm
>> the 15-year-old louisville boy is murdered in his home and a young man is taken into custody. >> he wasn't the one that was supposed to be killed. >> the accused murders case collides with one of the

19 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on