Skip to main content

tv   Caught on Camera  MSNBC  March 20, 2016 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
hillary clinton, she leads in delegates. >> i am not a one issue candidate because this is not a one issue country. >> and tomorrow she's looking to win big in five key states. >> you don't make america great by getting rid of everything that made america great. >> but as bernie sanders proved last week, thinking can happen. >> tonight hillary clinton makes her case to the societiers of hill notice. >> i get things done. >> hoping to stepped her lead. >> this is an msnbc special town
3:01 pm
hall with hillary clinton >> in the next hour, for the full hour, hillary clinton. >> hello, mr. matthews. thank you madame secretary. as you know, this is that room where abraham -- there is washington. abraham lincoln gave his house divided speech. and that was in 1858. how are we doing on that subject
3:02 pm
today? >> we could use that speech again from a lot of leaders as well as citizens because there is a disturbing amount of divisive rhetoric in this campaign that is playing on people's fears, engendering mean spiritedness, bigotry that i think is not only bad for politics, it's bad for our nation. and we need to stand up against it. we've had discontent and setting up us versus them. and i feel that is part of what we're seeing in this campaign this time.
3:03 pm
>> you've called donald trump a political arsonist. do you believe he's responsible for igniting all the people? >> if you go back several month, he's been building this incitement. he has been leading crowds and jeering protesters. he has been talking about punching people in the face. he's been encouraging the man handling of both people attending as well as journalists on the floor and in the stands of his events. so i think what happened friday in chicago is tragically a natural outgrowth of that kind of incitement.
3:04 pm
and look, all of us in public life, and you've covered all kinds of people running for office, in office. we all get protested against. somebody is always upset about something. the other day i had a man who is convinced that cell towers are causing cancer in your salivary glands. maybe some day we'll find out he's right. but at the moment, he's unfurling flags and yelling and screaming. we all have to deal with that and you try to deal with it calmly and peacefully and don't tell people, hey, do something to him, take him out, beat him up. and that is what leadership requires. you're supposed to be calming people down to try to find solutions to problems. >> would you encourage a young person or person of they age to go out if they did believe trump was saying terrible things to protest him? >> what i would encourage him to do is to protest peacefully. protest in the most effective way which is getting people to come out and vote against him. >> how about disrupting? >> i think disrupting, you have to be really careful that it's
3:05 pm
done in a way that is peaceful, that is respectful insofar as that is possible. but, yes, people who are inside an event that they know filled with folks against them. they should be careful. engaging in protests out side of venues probably makes more accepts, but the best thing they can do is organize against anybody who incites violence. >> let's look at two politicians on this little screen and how they in very different ways addressed political and racial tenseness. >> right. >> what we need in the united states is not hatred, what we need in the united states is not violence and lawlessness, but is love and wisdom and compassion toward one another.
3:06 pm
>> if you see about to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them 37 i promise you, i will pay for the legal fees. do you know what they used to do to guys like that? would be carried out on a stretcher. like to punch them in the face. >> bobby kennedy talking to people in a tough neighborhood in indianapolis the night that dr. king was killed. a white guy had to come and tell them. compare and contrast. >> well, you couldn't have a starker contrast. someone willing to take on the sorrow and burden and
3:07 pm
assassination of dr. king to talk to people who were distraught and heartbroken over what had happened. and you have someone like donald trump who is actually fanning the flames instead of trying to as we saw in that clip trying to bring down passion to find common ground. >> he started by saying president obama wasn't born in this country. he would say illegal immigrant basically. snuck in a weird way of going from kenya to honolulu and faking the birth records and everything. is that why african-americans have turned on him? denying the first american president who is african american to be legitimate would seem to be grounds for hostility.
3:08 pm
>> i think it's that plus other feelings. certainly trump led to campaign to try to delegitimize president obama. he used the phony issue about where he was born. there was definite proof we knew where he was born. it didn't matter. trump kept trying to incite people to be hostile towards the president. who happened to be the first african-american. that sent a signal. when you are inciting mob violence, which is what trump is doing in those clips, there is a lot of memories that people have, people remember mob
3:09 pm
violence that led to lynching that led to people shot, being grabbed, being mistreated. it has almost a deep psychological residence to people who have ever been interest what fearful, somewhat worried. we've come so far in our country that to be here in this state capital, in this room where abraham lincoln gave that speech about a house divided and to see that someone vying to be president of the united states is using divisiveness, is stoking fear, is pointing fingers, scapegoating against all kinds of people i think is so dangerous. and, yes, it's wrong, it's offensive and dangerous. >> when you were a young girl in illinois, someone was bullying you in the new neighborhood and your mother said go out and deal with this person physically and you went out and decked them.
3:10 pm
you will have to deal with a similar situation if you win the nomination. you have trump calling you a criminal. >> he will ask where i was born pretty soon. >> i don't know. maybe not. >> chicago. edgewater hospital. >> you have the certificate ready. >> i have my birth certificate in triplicate. >> you might get carded. >> that would be nice. >> you went to wellesley. what would have happened if you had gone to trump university? >> i would have been out a lot of money if i hear and nothing to show for it. >> you said something rather odd the other day. you said you're not a natural politician like your husband. who everybody knows is certified national.
3:11 pm
what is the difference between you and him? forget problem. what is -- bill clinton i've seen him on a million occasions, he won't leave. the occasion is over and he's working the room. he doesn't want to end. >> yeah. >> what is that dna? what is it that makes him never want to leave the crowd? >> you know, for bill and obviously i've now known him much more than half my life, i is someone who is so curious, almost in a way that i don't know anybody else. he is constantly seeking out people, waiting to hear their story, trying to make connections with something he's heard this one place and something you might hear in another place. he used to come off rope lines at the end of big events, when he was running for governor, running for president, and he would say i've learned so much. and he would tell me stories and sometimes it would just be a 30 or 60 second interchange.
3:12 pm
but he could derive from that something about the person. when i moved to fayetteville, arkansas -- >> how do you say it, fayetteville? >> i was trying to figure out whether to get married or not. so i moved there teaching at the university of arkansas law school. and i noticed that one of my students hasn't shown up for a couple of classes. so i call information. used to have information in those days. i call information and i'm saying i'm looking for john smith.
3:13 pm
the operator says he's not home. i say what do you mean? he says he's not home, he went camping. i mean, it was just such an incredible experience where people's story, their lives were so intertwined. and bill is someone who was brought up hearing stories from his family and just lived in that great story telling tradition. so i am in great admiration of that. i am somebody who believes strongly in public service, in doing all the good i can. >> how about this part? >> i enjoy it, but i'm not diluting myself. i'm not speaking in poetry, i'm not bringing people to fever pitches of incredible admiration. but every time i've had a job, i do it well and in my own way. and i produce results for people. when i ran for the senate -- >> you were going to take on rudy giuliani. >> people didn't think anybody could beat him and six years
3:14 pm
later i won by an even bigger margin because i did the job. i'm somebody who believes you want to help people and produce results. and maybe that is governing in prose than campaigning in poetry, but that's what i want do as president. >> when we come back, it will get tougher. and when we come back, let's talk about the race for the democratic nomination. you and senator sanders held a race, special hardball town hall with hillary clinton of course from the old state capital of illinois in springfield. [alarm ] ♪ ♪ the intelligent, all-new audi a4 is here.
3:15 pm
♪ ♪ ain't got time to make no apologies...♪ then your eyes may see it, differently.ave allergies. only flonase is approved to relieve both your itchy, watery eyes and congestion. no other nasal allergy spray can say that. complete allergy relief or incomplete. let your eyes decide. flonase changes everything. it's my job and it's i takealso my passion.rises. but with my back pain i couldn't sleep... so i couldn't get up in time. then i found aleve pm. aleve pm is the only one to combine a sleep aid plus the 12-hour strength of aleve... for pain relief that can last into the morning. and now... i'm back. aleve pm for a better am. different things his new smart phone does... ...it reminded him of his magic eraser.
3:16 pm
it's not just for marks on walls... it's tough on kitchen grease... and bathroom grime too. he's your... ...all around-tough-cleaner, mr. clean. the market.redict... but at t. rowe price, we can help guide your investments through good times and bad. for over 75 years, our clients have relied on us to bring our best thinking to their investments so in a variety of market conditions... you can feel confident... ...in our experience. call a t. rowe price retirement specialist or your advisor ...to see how we can help make the most of your retirement savings. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. we're always looking for ways to speed up your car insurance search. here's the latest. problem is, we haven't figured out how to reverse it. for now, just log on to compare.com... plug in some simple info and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest and hit purchase.
3:17 pm
now...if you'll excuse me, i'm late for an important function. compare.com. saving humanity from high insurance rates. welcome back to springfield, illinois. thank you madame secretary. i'm amazed, maybe not amazed, but senator sanders has pulled some big victories.
3:18 pm
he's won in iowa, michigan. >> no, i won in iowa. >> that's right, you did. >> i hope that stays in the show. it was very close. very close. >> you're getting me in a mood here. let's go to michigan. >> that's dangerous. >> do you trust the polls anymore? >> no honestly, i don't. it's very difficult to poll now if you have only online information. today's been proven to be often unreliable. if you try to call land line, you miss everybody with cellphones. if you call cellphones you miss people often because they don't answer. so, no, i think it's very difficult now to predict the outcome of elections.
3:19 pm
and somehow we will have to get better at it because people do rely on that information. >> let's talk about young people and even as order as early 30s, people don't have land lines. look at numbers for you in michigan. here it was. 80% of people under 30 voted for senator sanders. he got the 57% of race. what do you think happened there? >> first let me put it in context because that night i actually won 100,000 more votes than senator sanders because of my huge victory in mississippi where i did win both white and black voters. on super tuesday other than vermont, i won a majority of white voters as well as black voters. so i think that you can focus on one state and kind of miss the big picture because where we stand today, i've gotten far more votes than anybody else running on either side. i've gotten 5 million, 600,000 more than trump, 1.6 million
3:20 pm
more than bernie sanders. so i feel really good about where i am in this campaign and of course the number of delegates that i have won is also considerably higher than senator sanders. so i have a broad inclusive coalition which i think puts me in good position to be able to get the nomination and go against trump or whoever they nominate. >> let's talk about the sensitive states. ohio is one, missouri is always against trade. here we are in illinois. how do you deal with the fact to a lot of working people trade is the enemy? >> i really understand that and i think that we've had a number of years of experience now and what trade can and can't do in our globalized economy. so in ohio, i said i want to set the straight. yes, i did vote against the biggest multi national trade agreement. i voted against it. i've learned some things since
3:21 pm
the 1990s and i've put that to work. i also said that i hoped i would be able to support tpp. but i actually waited until what i knew what was in it and thin stated my opposition to it. >> you said it was great, cutting edge, high quality and high standard. >> before it was finished. i hoped we could deal with currency manipulation. it turned out when it was all said and done, it didn't meet my standards and that's why just like i voted against cafta, i said i was against tpp. before coming here, i was in chicago meeting with a group of workers most likely going to lose their jobs at the big nabisco factory on the south side. 600 really good jobs. and i met with some of the workers. and what this company is doing is taking those jobs, sending them out of the country and
3:22 pm
turning around and basically saying to the workforce too bad, wire done, we're not going to be there to you. and when that company and its predecessors received millions and millions in taxpayer benefits. so we have to figure out how to get some leverage against some of these companies and i'm roping we have a claw back, if you took any money from the local, state or federal government to put in a plan to upgrade the plan, to do anything to the plan, you have to pay it back. that is how i think we have to get leverage on these companies so when they do the cost benefit on the cost side is, hey, we're going to owe back the money that we took telling the people of this state or city we were going to be there when, hey, we're not. we're moving out. >> how come what we were taught in school, that trade is good, all the economists thought it was, a comparative advantage to companies good at one thing, make it, ones not so successful, do something else.
3:23 pm
what went wrong with that theory? >> i think what went wrong is you have countries that are not shy about putting a heavy thumb on the scale. they are supporting their own industries in china for example. there is no free market. that is just an illusion. it's not a market economy. you have state-owned enterprises, you have the government being used to threaten companies. when i was a senator from new york, i was always in some kind of controversy with the chinese government because they were coming and threatening new york companies and i would go to bat for the new york companies. so when you have in europe in a more refined again deal way, in asia a rough and tumble way, a set of trade conditions where we he said up having the only in my view really free trade economy, and we've been able to manage that until relatively recently, now because of competition with
3:24 pm
increases in technology, automation and the like, we've got to really fight for our jobs. and fighting for our jobs means, yes, improving our skill, clean and renewable energy, but also sending a really clear message you aren't going to mess with us, we are going to do what is necessary to make sure you're not dumping steel, not stealing our intellectual property and you're not walking out on communities where we've given you money in effect to stay. so i'm taking a very tough line on this. i think we need to. i'm not sure we would have a decade, 20 years ago because the situation was different. but the way i look at it now, we've got to really stand up. >> are you the same as bernie sanders now on trade? >> no, because i know you have to trade. we have to trade with the other 95%. >> and you don't think he agrees with that? >> i don't know. he's against things before they are even finished.
3:25 pm
he was against tpp, the paris climate agreement. he just is reflexively against anything that has any international implication. my view is let's get tough and smart and effective. but we can't shut the door to the rest of the world. we have to trade with the rest of the world. i want us exporting more. i want more good jobs with rising incomes in america. and i think that is the way to do it. >> so speaking of being tough, are you a hawk? >> no, i'm a smart power advocate. >> were you smart about supporting the president's position on iraq. did you ever believe that saddam hussein had nuclear weapons? >> i did.
3:26 pm
>> who told you? >> i know at the end of the clinton administration there was a very strong sense that he was reconstituting his nuclear weapons program. and i like to remind people that at the end of the '90s, there was a sense of the congress past that my opponent bernie sanders voted for basically talking about regime change in iraq because of the threat of potentially nuclear biological -- >> but my -- >> that was the prevailing opinion. >> if you were told by somebody that he had nuclear weapons, they weren't telling the truth because mike morell the chief cia briefer on the subject told me on my show that they never told anybody because he said we had no evidence they had nuclear weapons. so who told you they had nuclear weapons? >> what was going on was a continuing intensive inspection program.
3:27 pm
hans blix. and his team of inspectors were trying to get to the bottom of this. here's what was misleading. is that saddam hussein could have ended it immediately. he could have said come anywhere, we have nothing. but he didn't choose to do that. so the inspectors were racing to get to all the sites. because remember at the end of the first gulf war, we did find evidence of a nuclear weapons program. and then we had a number of years where we were flying a no-fly zone over iraq and where we saw him diverting a lot of money into not just building palaces but building -- >> dick cheney is all over the country back in the fall of on 2002 saying saddam hussein as nuclear weapons even though the cia never told him that. is donald trump right when he said they lied? >> well, you know -- >> lied. >> well, what mike hayden and
3:28 pm
others have said, it was an intelligence failure. i don't know what -- >> but they said they had nuclear weapons. how could it be a failure? >> well, they led -- >> not with evidence. you didn't have evidence they had nuclear weapons. >> what we had was a -- i had, let me speak formyself -- >> you never had evidence of nuclear weapons. >> no, because the inspection program had not been completed. and where i stood, i believed george w. bush when he said we are going to let the inspectors finish the job. this vote will give me the leverage he claimed to make sure that happened. >> why did you trust w? >> well, i thought that using diplomacy which is what it seemed to me was offering made sense. he seemed to be someone who in my opinion at least rhetorically that speech he gave in cincinnati was aimed at saying we'll let the inspectors finish.
3:29 pm
now, he didn't. and that's where i made a mistake. because if he had let the inspectors finish what blix and others argue, they would have been able to prove to the world. so if there had been any doubt whether manufactured or believed, it would have been ended. and that's why i've said it was a mistake for me to give him that vote. >> why is bernie sanders right and you were wrong? what do you think was in him that allowed him to see when you couldn't see? >> well, i don't know, because he voted as i said for the regime change resolution. >> rhetorical. >> it was only a few years earlier. and look, that was a mistake. and i've said it was a mistake. and i have good friends like vice president biden who were with me and good friends on the other side. and i think part of what certainly influenced me, after 9/11, i went to new york
3:30 pm
with chuck schumer the next day, my fellow senator, we were the only plane in the sky and we flew over ground zero and we saw the devastation. and we were briefed fully on all of the threats that were still out there. we got back to washington. i see then senator byrd. get him to commit to helping new york because the first request had not a penny for new york. so i said we have to get money for new york. when i went to the white house, there were about four of us senators, two from virginia, two of us from new york. and i knew that the republicans in the white house and in the senate didn't want to rebuild new york or the a least they weren't willing to put money into it. so bush says to me what do you need. i said i need $20 billion to rebuild new york. he said you got it.
3:31 pm
and he was good to his word. so my experience with him on something of great import to our country was positive. because literally that same day, i get back to the capital and republicans are trying to take that money away. we kept calling the white house. bush kept saying i gave them my word, i'm going to stick with it. so, you know, i had a different set of experiences. >> but we have 100,000 people dead in iraq because of that war that we started. we did the war. we were the war. and then you went into libya and you supported regime change -- >> that's a very different situation. >> why do you keep wanting do these things at regime change? what is in your thinking that says the united states government has some right and duty to go to middle eastern countries and knock off their leadership? >> well, you know -- >> and i think you're aggressive on knocking off bashar al assad, too. >> let me tell you what i believe and you can make your open judgment. i've said iraq was a mistake. i've said that what i thought the strategy was, which was to let the inspectors finish and as to find out and if necessary to be able to put pressure of a
3:32 pm
different kind on saddam hussein wasn't allowed to go forward. so that we know. libya was very different. you know, i think conflating the two does a disservice -- >> but the principal regime change. constantly trying to knock off their leaders. >> that is just an overstatement that doesn't really reflect the situation. >> don't you support knocking off assad? >> given the bloodshed he has spilled, that would be a good outcome. but americans aren't going to do it. in libya you had a dictator who had american blood on his hand. remember reagan tried to knock him off. missed but he tried. when he said that he was going to track down his people and murder them, the europeans and the arabs came to us and said you've got to help us. because what they feared is what we see in syria.
3:33 pm
what they feared was an out of control civil war on their shores right across the mediterranean, right next to egypt. remember we had those countries helping us in afghanistan in our big coalition. when somebody that has helped you, their people have died, they have expended their treasure to help us, come and say this is personal to us, we in europe, we in the middle east, is the united states supposed to say that's not our problem? and they can say to us afghanistan wasn't our problem either. but that's not way you work with allies and build coalitions. so what did we do? we provided our unique abilities and they ran most of the air missions. they were really very much involved in helping to, you know, cordon off libya. and eventually getting gadhafi and his forces. is libya perfect? it isn't. but did they have two elections which were free and fair and
3:34 pm
voted for moderates? yes. so i think changing from a dictator to something resembling a functioning state doesn't happen overnight and we have to continue to support the libyan people to give them a chance. otherwise you see what is happening in syria with the consequences of millions of people flooding out of syria with more than 250,000 people killed. with terrorist groups like isis taking up a huge swathe of territory. so, yes, i mean libya was a different kind of calculation and we didn't lose a single person, we didn't have a problem in supporting our european and arab allies. and now we have to -- >> what do you think quickly of the whole history of the united states of knocking off leaders
3:35 pm
whether in iran or guatemala or chile or the congo or who have i missed? we've been doing this a long time. that's why i'm sceptical. what is your view of all those assassinations. should we be doing that kind of thing? >> well, i don't think -- >> knocking off leaders. >> in the vast majority of cases, the answer is no. but there are always historical games you can play if somebody could have assassinated hitler before he took over germany, would that have been a good thing or not? you cannot paint with a broad brush. individual situations and most of the ones you named are ones that i think in retrospect did not have a very defensible kind of calculation behind them. but i think it's a mistake to say you can't ever, you know, prevent war. you can't ever save people.
3:36 pm
if there had been a way to go after the leaders of the massacres in rwanda to stop that before 800,000 people were killed, what would we have done? we do as you know very well target terrorists, we target them because we believe that they are plotting and planning against us and friends and allies. they may not be a head of state, but they are very well head of a terrorist group. so these are tough hard choices. i wrote a whole book called "hard choices." >> looks like you're ready for the role of commander this chief. back with more of our special town hall with hillary clinton. when you think about success, what does it look like? is it becoming a better professor by being a more adventurous student? is it one day giving your daughter the opportunity she deserves?
3:37 pm
is it finally witnessing all the artistic wonders of the natural world? whatever your definition of success is, helping you pursue it, is ours. t-i-a-a. so when your symptoms start... ...doctors recommend taking non-drowsy claritin every day of your allergy season for continuous relief. with claritin you get powerful, non-drowsy relief 24 hours a day, day after day. and with fewer symptoms to distract you... ...you can focus on the extraordinary things you do every single day. live claritin clear. every day. one week only, save up to $28 on claritin products. check this sunday's newspaper. diarrhea. pain. it could be ibs-d. prescription xifaxan is a 2-week ibs-d treatment that helps relieve diarrhea and abdominal pain for 6 to 24 weeks. do not use xifaxan if you have a history of sensitivity to rifaximin, rifamycin antibiotic agents
3:38 pm
or any components of xifaxan. tell you doctor right away if your diarrhea worsens while taking xifaxan as this may be a sign of a serious or even fatal condition. tell your doctor if you have liver disease or are taking other medications because these may increase the amount of xifaxan in your body. tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are nursing. the most common side effects are nausea and an increase in liver enzymes. ask your doctor about xifaxan for ibs-d. then smash it into a tree.ch on a perfect car, your insurance company raises your rates... maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. liberty mutual insurance. ♪ the roles you play in life are part of what make you, you. and you're not going to let anything keep you sidelined. that's why you drink ensure with nutritious calories, 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals.
3:39 pm
come on grandma! giving you the strength and energy to get back to doing... what you love. from the #1 doctr recommended bran. ensure. always stay you.
3:40 pm
we're back in the state capitol of illinois where lincoln once worked. go ahead, first question. >> my name is summer. right now a lot of college students are backing bernie sanders. so i want to know what specifically are you going to do for college students who are graduating with a large amount of debt. >> i'm really glad you asked that, summer, because i have a plan i call the new college compact which not only will make college more affordable with debt-free tuition for students, but will also refinance the student debt that young people already have.
3:41 pm
i want to refinance it saving thousands of dollars for people who have graduated but are weighted down by this debt. i want to move people into what are called income contingency repayment programs so that you pay back as a percentage of your income. and i want to put a time certain to end your payments. so i think actually my approach is more comprehensive and will do more for people. it's affordable, it meets the needs that folks have and i think it will lift the debt off of millions of americans. >> next. >> good evening. i'm mayor of the city. >> yes, you are.
3:42 pm
>> on behalf of the citizens of springfield, i want to express our welcome and our thanks for coming to springfield, illinois, home of abraham lincoln, where usually people come together to solve the world's problems and our own problem. but my dad, he grew up in vienna, austria. and as a teen, he had to flee there because of hitler taking over. and when they came to america before they could enter, they had to have a sponsor as immigrants which helped protect the united states as well as make sure that the family wasn't a burden on the government. as president, what steps would you take to put in place to make sure that immigrants are screened properly so it does keep america safe and as well they don't become a burden on our government? >> well, mayor, first of all, thanks for the welcome. i'm happy to be back in springfield. i think the first time i came to springfield was in fifth grade as i remember. a lot of laughter recognizing that is when we all came to learn about our history, learn about president lincoln.
3:43 pm
i think when we talk about people coming to the united states, they have to go through a process where they are vetted and screened. that often is quite extensive and time consuming as it must be to gather the information to make sure that no one insofar as we can tell is being permitted to come into our country who would do us harm and possibly be some kind of additional burden. the way take the system works now for people coming seeking asylum, who are refugees, they have to have a sponsor. it's usually a sponsoring organization. very often churches and other faith groups are sponsoring organization. but they have to pledge that they will look out for the individual and the family coming after being vetted and screened. so i agree that we've got to have a very thorough effective process. on the screening end and on the receiving end.
3:44 pm
so that there is an organization we can look to that is sponsoring people such as what happened with your father. and i have said that that is what i support and i will be sure that as president i will do everything i can to make it work as effectively as possible. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> we'll be right back with more of our town meeting with hillary clinton. i have asthma... ...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine,
3:45 pm
i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com. [engines revving] you can't have a hero, if you don't have a villain.
3:46 pm
the world needs villains [tires screeching] and villains need cars. ♪ twell what if i told you that peanuts can work for you? that's right. i'm talking full time delivery of 7 grams of protein and 6 essential nutrients. ever see a peanut take a day off? i don't think so. harness the hardworking power of the peanut. thank you. imagine if the things you bought every day... ...earned you miles to get to the places you really want to go. with the united mileageplus explorer card, you'll get a free checked bag, two united club passes, priority boarding, and 30,000 bonus miles. everything you need for an unforgettable vacation. the united mileageplus explorer card. imagine where it will take you.
3:47 pm
welcome back to the old state capitol in springfield. let's talk about your opponent the one you have right now. i've talked to howard dean, former governor of vermont, dnc chair. and i asked him about bernie sanders because he's been with him all these years and he said bernie is the same as he was 40 years ago. same approach, same philosophy, democratic socialism. and has never really changed his tune. you are more protean.
3:48 pm
it's the same route i took. back when you were a girl, you were a goldwater girl. libertarian guy with a very attractive -- he was a very attractive candidate. very libertarian. everybody when young wants to be libertarian. don't need social security, you just want to be left alone and then of course you made the move like mccarthy. explain that route. most people are like that, they learn. >> we are supposed to learn. that is part of what experience should be teaching you. and i grew up in a family where my father was a rock ribbed conservative republican, very much in the line of being self-sufficient and responsible. although he believed in community. so good public schools, good park district, things that he
3:49 pm
supported. my mother was much more democratically oriented. we used to laugh that they canceled each other's vote out every election. and i grew up really talking about politics particularly with my dad. and when i went off to college, i went believing i was a republican and actually i was the president of the young republicans for a couple of months. and then i decided -- i decided that i was much more in the, you know, the camp of people like president lyndon johnson trying to promote civil rights, voting rights, ending poverty, things that i began to understand were really important to have a basic safety net and a basic, you know, understanding -- >> i remember my dad saying we need social security because goldwater said we don't and my dad would say what about the
3:50 pm
people that are unemployed, what about the people who haven't been unlucky in life. you don't want the government to have to support them, so better to have social security. >> absolutely. >> but you had the understanding about the needs of people? >> but i give a lot of credit to my mother and my church because -- >> methodist. >> yes. and we had a great youth minister who would say to us all the time you kids are lucky, you have a lot of blessings. you need to open your eyes to the rest of the world. he took us to see and hear dr. martin luther king jr. preach in chicago. he set up exchanges so we went about in to the in-are cinercit visited with black kids and hispanic kids in churches. i baby sat for the children of migrant farm woerkrkers. they kept pushing open my understanding of the fact that not everybody looked like me,
3:51 pm
not everybody was raised like me, not everybody had the opportunities that i had. and so by the time i got to college, i said i want to work out -- >> so you became a real liberal. >> i like to say progressive. >> why do people change the word? what was wrong with liberal? >> nothing is wrong with it. >> progressive gets officer to democratic socialist -- >> no, far from socialism. >> you're not comfortable with that word. >> no, i'm not. what i learned as starting late teens and in my 20s is that in a complex diverse society like ours, you were going to have to have safety nets. you were going to have to create opportunities for people. you were going to have to try to end the legacies of oppression, of slavery, all of the kinds of wrongs that we had visited upon people from the very beginning,
3:52 pm
that this chamber where abraham lincoln spoke, he literally gave his life for. >> so you know how tough it is for people who don't have health care, unemployed. >> absolutely. >> because a lot of people lost in the cracks there. >> we have like 90% of coverage thousan thousa now. but that is 30 million lecft ou. but it was called obamacare, it was called hillarycare. >> we'll tip with more. their type 2 diabetes with non-insulin victoza®. for a while, i took a pill to lower my blood sugar. but it didn't get me to my goal. so i asked my doctor about victoza®. he said victoza® works differently than pills. and comes in a pen. victoza® is proven to lower blood sugar and a1c.
3:53 pm
it's taken once a day, any time. victoza® is not for weight loss, but it may help you lose some weight. victoza® works with your body to lower blood sugar in 3 ways: in the stomach, the liver, and the pancreas. vo: victoza® is an injectable prescription medicine that may improve blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes when used with diet and exercise. it is not recommended as the first medication to treat diabetes and should not be used in people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. victoza® has not been studied with mealtime insulin. victoza® is not insulin. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza® or any of its ingredients. symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include itching, rash, or difficulty breathing. tell your doctor if you get a lump or swelling in your neck. serious side effects may happen in people who take victoza®, including inflammation
3:54 pm
of the pancreas (pancreatitis). stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have signs of pancreatitis such as severe pain that will not go away in your abdomen or from your abdomen to your back, with or without vomiting. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take and if you have any medical conditions. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. the most common side effects are headache, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems. if your pill isn't giving you the control you need ask your doctor about non-insulin victoza®. it's covered by most health plans.
3:55 pm
shoshow me more like this.e. show me "previously watched." what's recommended for me.
3:56 pm
x1 makes it easy to find what you love. call or go online and switch to x1. only with xfinity. we're back in springfield with hillary clinton. next question. >> my name e is robert moore. i'm retired law enforcement executive. i had the pleasure of working for your husband eight years. in light of all the issues involved with black clupiommuni and police, what would you do to encourage dialogue between the african community and police? >> i think that's the beginning that we have to do is to recreate a dialogue. and to have people in law enforcement both current rly serving and retired with a lot of experience going into communities and listening. we have to rebuild respect
3:57 pm
between the police and the people they are sworn to protect. and there are a lot of excellent police officers and departments who could lead this dialogue. and where we need retraining, where we need to have body cameras which i think would help protect police as much as protect people on the street, we need to be moving to try to rebuild that confidence and trust. so i'm going to look for ways if i'm so fortunate to be president to build on the recommendations from president obama's policing commission and try to implement those and go further, but i want to be led by people in law enforcement who i deeply respect, but we've got to have accountability so that the public the respects the policre well. >> and madame secretary, frequently when my son is at
3:58 pm
school, i can't help but position about sandy hook and all the children who aren't at school today and won't be at school tomorrow. and i want to know when you're president, what you will do to reduce gun violence and what we can do to help you. >> you know, this is an issue that i am so profoundly disturbed about because i have met too many families who have lost loved ones particularly children. you mentioned sandy hook and the parents there. for any parent, the image of adjusting the backpack on your little 6, 7-year-old daughter or son and sending your child off to school and then only to be called some hours later to say that that child that you are so deeply committed to and love so much has been murdered. it's just more than i can imagine. today in chicago, i visited a wall of bricks with the names of young people who have been murdered in chicago in the last several years. i've gotten to know the mothers
3:59 pm
of a number of those children. and we have to take on the gun lobby. and i know it's not easy. i'm well aware of that. but when you have on average 90 people a day dying there gun violence, 33,000 a year, we need comprehensive background checks, we need to end the immunity there liability, sandy hooks parents are suing the maker of the ar-15 trying to do something that channels their grief into action to prevent other children from being murdered. and i know that 92% of americans agree with me and 85 respect about respect% of gun owners do. the gun lob by really intimidats officials. knock is more powerful that be the gun lobby. and until we take them on, well the not be in position to try to begin to reduce the deaths from
4:00 pm
the epidemic of gun violence. so i will need the help of every single -- >> thank you secretary clinton. thank you for coming here and thank you to the old say ttate capitol to hosting all this tonight. enough of this trash. go and tell people what you're for. >> he sticks to the issue. >> we cannot elect somebody that sk doesn't know how to do the job. >> we will win the state of o o ohio. >> this is an msnbc special town hall with governor john kasich from lima, ohio. >> good evening, welcome to a special msnbc town hall event. i'm willie geist in lima, ohio.

27 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on