Skip to main content

tv   The Place for Politics 2016  MSNBC  April 19, 2016 9:00pm-10:01pm PDT

9:00 pm
good evening from 30 rock felller plaza in new york. tonight hillary clinton and donald trump swept the primaries here in the empire state. with most of the vote in on the democratic side, clinton leads sanders by 16 points. donald trump won a huge margin of 45% over his nearest rival. that's a margin of 45% over his nearest rival, in this case john
9:01 pm
kasich. let's start tonight with the democrats. in her victory speech, secretary clinton argued that the race for the democratic nomination has turned a corner. let's hear what she says. >> the race for the democratic nomination is in the home stretch, and victory is in sight. under the bright lights of new york, we have seen that it's not enough to diagnose problems. you have to explain how you'd actually solve the problems. >> well, secretary clinton offered a consillia torre message for supporters of bernie sanders. of course she has to to get them to unite behind her campaign should she be the nominee. it looks like she will be this november. >> to all the people who supported senator sanders, i believe there is much more that you unites us than divides us.
9:02 pm
>> a hastily arranged conference call with local media, bernie sanders congratulated secretary clinton but said he still has a path to victory. he still siees one, with me is political correspondent joy reid. the huffington post-howard fineman, and andrea mitchell, the host of andrea mitchell reports here on msnbc. howard, let's get through this. what is different right now? here we are at midnight, the night of the new york state primary, where both the front-runners won huge victories of well over double-digitis. 35% spread between trump and his nearest rival, in this case john kasich. let's start with the democrats. what's different tonight at midnight? >> on the democratic side, bernie sanders said he could win here, said that he would win here. he spent more than $5 million. he campaigned heavily, heartily from stem to stern, all over. he got clobbered here. he got clobbered by 16 points,
9:03 pm
which i think is bigger than just about anybody expected. it was a convincing victory in a state where bernie sanders said he was going to win, and he didn't. what that means is in many ways in the home not only of the national media but of the modern democratic party really, hillary won convincingly. and even though bernie sanders sent out a fund-raising note with all kinds of tortured mathematics of how he's going to get to the magic number, it really doesn't add up. and now hillary clinton has put the onus on bernie sanders to see if he's willing to moderate his tone, if he's willing to furl the flag of his revolution. i don't think he will, but he's the one who's under pressure now, and everybody is awaiting a next move that's got to be something more than talking to the reporters in vermont. >> what's weird is we're having
9:04 pm
three contests at the same time in terms of money. in terms of national polling, bernie is pulling ahead, but hillary is winning the big primaries. is he getting the message or is he getting some other message that he's still in this? >> he's getting the message that he has the biggest crowds, that he has the biggest fund-raising operation, and that he's within two points of her, which is a virtual tie. >> nationally. >> nationally in our new nbc news/"wall street journal" poll today. that's the message he's taking. he ditched the press corps in state college, pennsylvania, left his communications director, flew home he said to recharge his batteries, talked to some local reporters from the local affiliates who rushed over on the tarmac, didn't answer many questions. he does need to recharge his batteries. john palmieri at that very moment was briefing us at hillary headquarters, and she was saying he has to decide what he's going to do. she was very tough in her language. let me read it. if he's going to continue on the destructive path he started on the new york primary where he's making personal character
9:05 pm
attacks against her that mimic the attacks republicans make and aid republicans or if he's going to end this primary the way he promised, to run the campaign that would be focused on issues. they're not saying get out. they're saying, look, hillary clinton stayed in until june 7th after california against barack obama when there was no hope. but they're saying, do it with dignity. stick to the issues. don't get personal. >> joy, he's not offering new goodies like he has a lot of, college tuition, retirement that's going to be boosting with all kinds of benefits and free health care. he's making new attacks on hillary. >> yeah. >> that's how he's running this campaign right now. >> for the last several weeks, that has been the central focus of the bernie sanders campaign is to essentially make a character argument against hillary clinton rather than an affirmative argument for bernie sanders. but here's the problem. hillary clinton has now won virtually every state that looks like the democratic party, meaning the states that are diverse, meaning she's winning in the states with these big metropolitan cities. that is what the democratic party looks like.
9:06 pm
it looks like the electorate in south carolina where it's heavily african-american, heavily latino, heavily urban, and by the way, it is not a collegiate electorate. so you cannot win by filling washington state -- >> he thinks it's a college town. >> the democratic party is african-americans, urban white voters. it's women. it's voters over 40, and that is how you win. by the way, it's registered democrats. and if bernie sanders cannot win a big urban state with lots of african-americans and with registered democrats in it, it's hard to make the case that you should be the titular head of the democratic party. >> look across the aisle here because bernie sees things we don't see. we're watching primary results. newspapers are publishing the head likes tonight, and all around the world trump -- i'm sorry -- hillary clinton wins new york. we'll get to trump in a minute. she wins by 16 points. he's thinking the money's still pouring in, and i'm about to pass her. i'm in the passing lane for
9:07 pm
national numbers. why should i quit? >> well, look, you can see that hillary's speech tonight, she was elated. this sort of long irritation has seemed to be over. she's trying to reach out, in fact she's trying to occupy some of his territory now, reaching out on some of his issues. but i think she's still a weak candidate, and i also think the youth voters is important. i don't disagree with anything joy said, but in many ways, hillary clinton represents the past. and bernie, in a sense, represents because of who his supporters were, representing the future. i think that's maybe a problem in general. >> she's a weak candidate that got nearly a million votes out of new york tonight. she got more votes by herself than all the republicans combined. i think she's a stronger candidate than the media is giving her credit for. she has run essentially for the last 20 years against -- with the media in her face, right? she has run against the wind, against the tide of coverage. i think fox.com just published a piece that showed she and trump
9:08 pm
get the most negative media coverage. for something like 30 years she's survived. she's gotten i think over 10 million -- >> you think the media is bias the against hillary clinton? >> i think the media has a very negative relationship with hillary clinton and has done for 30-plus years. >> however, bernie sanders made a big, big tactical error here in new york, i think, because he created his own negative relationship with the media by the way he went after hillary clinton. bernie sanders said, okay, i'm coming into new york. i'm going to tear her apart on a personal basis. now, he used the excuse of a washington post headline in which he was called unqualified, which hillary didn't actually say. it was the headline writers who said it, to unload. and he moved from being an idea. he moved from being a kindly uncle with glasses and white flowing hair to being an attack guy. and the attack thing exposed an aspect of his character, his public character, that wasn't
9:09 pm
very popular and that also allowed hillary -- now, she didn't go the full victim route. she didn't say, you know, i'm nice too, or she didn't cry or anything like that. but i think people here in new york, democrats here in new york were sympathetic to what they viewed as an overly aggressive, unfair series of attacks on hillary clinton. >> he is hitting like in a boxing match. it's not a bad parallel. he keeps hitting the cut, you know. he doesn't say benghazi. but he does say goldman sachs speaking fees. >> with the minimum wage contrast. >> you and i know and howard, anybody who works in washington, nobody -- and he shows a picture of capitol. nobody that works in the capitol is able to take a speaking fee. he completely made that up. >> it's because he's speaking only about one person. they say, well, we don't mention her name, but there's only one
9:10 pm
person who fits the category of that goldman sachs speaking fee. look, there were a couple of turning points here. the daily news editorial board was a disaster for him, and she called him out on it. and then that's what he was reacting to. that's what led to the unqualified. now, there were several women, including claire mccaskill, who really took to that unqualified comment and said that they thought it was gender-related because a man with the same resume as hillary clinton would not be called unqualified. you'd find some other description. a lot of people disagreed with that. they don't see gender in that. but that, according to a lot of women, that did galvanize, and it also hit some younger people, who said maybe he's not the nice guy that i thought he was. >> it made bernie sanders look like less of an appealing character because it became bernie sanders and not the movement that he represents. >> you know you turn a car off sometimes when it gets old and it doesn't go off? >> i don't want to hear about that, chris.
9:11 pm
>> you turn the key off and it stays on because it's called preignition oddly, but it's actually post-ignition. it stays on. i think bernie is still working. he may not have the numbers, but he's working still, and he's still running a negative campaign right now. anyway, these guys are sticking with us. when we come back, we'll talk about trump's big win tonight. what a super win tonight. a 35-point spread over his nearest rival, and it wasn't even cruz. cruz was in the basement. much more ahead on this hour on what these new york primary results mean toward next november. that's getting close, isn't it? a couple months till july. you're watching a special edition of hardball. the place tonight for politics. live from new york in our nbc newsroom as you can see.
9:12 pm
9:13 pm
9:14 pm
i have great, great admiration and praise for the city of new york and the state of new york. i can think of nowhere that i
9:15 pm
would rather have this victory. >> we're back with joy, howard, rick, and andrea. back to you, howard. i have never -- well, i have seen this before. i once saw ted kennedy go into philadelphia back in '80 and own the city, occupy it against jimmy carter. this guy walked in, said new york values, owned the place, tour deforce. i've never seen a more successful effort to just occupy a city like donald trump pulled off the last two weeks since wisconsin. >> it turns out that ted cruz did him a big favor because ted cruz gave donald trump his talking point. >> right. >> and the talking point was new york values post- 9/11, the heroism of the firefighters, the unity of the state. that gave donald trump something nice to say in a campaign in which he'd said mostly nasty things. so one thing is that he said really nice things about new york, and he embraced the city that was, after all, his home and where he built tall
9:16 pm
buildings that were not knocked down, but he understood. and also his new management team shut him up. >> look at that speech tonight. >> okay. first of all, he -- i'll get to the speech in one second. first of all, he got television. he got off the weekend shows for a while. he stopped talking, and when he talked, he only talked about nice things. it was the anti-ginsberg. instead of all five shows, it was no shows. he remained disciplined and upbeat and focused, and he didn't spend much money at all. he was just the best side of donald trump in the city that was home. he was comfortable, and he talked about the best side of new york values, and it was very simple. it wasn't fancy. but it worked. it looks like he may win almost all of the -- not only win by a fantastic popular vote -- >> next week. >> but win almost all of the delegates. >> next week he can win all
9:17 pm
five. >> next week he can do all because those places are an extension of new york to a large extent. >> i think new york dominates the region. >> i credit ivanka trump. >> people have been saying that. >> you can talk about paul manafort, but she had obviously some role in bringing him in and changing the team. i mean the worst period for donald trump was when she was understandably busy having a baby. as soon as she was back on her feet, which was remarkable within a week or ten days, he got reined in. he didn't do lyin' ted cruz tonight. there was no epithets. it was senator cruz. he was absolutely pitch perfect. >> if his team is smart, they'll tell donald trump, they'll say, this is how you do it, and look what happened. they'll try to use that. >> can he do that and still have the fun and turn on those audiences if he's that controlled? joy, that's your problem. >> indeed. that's what people like. they like the unbridled trump.
9:18 pm
if you go into places like staten island and you talk to trump voters, they like the fact he's off the cuff and he's not reined in. i think the moment he starts to look like a politician, he'll start to look like a politician. >> one thorn in the side is it looks like kasich might have won a district in manhattan. >> he won manhattan. >> it's gone to be john lindsay's old district. >> it's more than one district. >> it's still a thorn in the side. >> he couldn't have gotten the west side, come on. >> it's a remarkably sweeping victory, and ted cruz came up here as the guy who was the main challenger to donald trump. you got to make it new york. you don't have to win new york, but you've got to play. and ted cruz tried, but he went to the matso factory. that didn't work. he got booed, i think, in the bronx. then he got the heck out of the state. you didn't see him again. for a guy who was talking tough
9:19 pm
about kicking donald trump's butt or whatever he was saying on the campaign trail, the fact that he was nowhere to be seen doesn't help him be a national candidate in the media capital. >> i want to go back to this issue of new york values. everybody sort of knew what he meant, sodom and gomorrah is basically what he meant. this was sin city in the worst kind, secular thinking. i think carly fiorina's great line about women, every woman in america, i think every new yorker knew what he meant. >> and i think this goes to ted cruz's fundamental problem, with all due respect to our friend rick, is he has a likability problem. he tends to go for the snide, and that sort of snidery comes across to a lot of the voters as condescending and as somebody who doesn't respect ordinary people. and, you know, in new york that's not going to go over well in a place like the bronx or staten island or among the kind of blue-collar voters that trump is appealing to. i think they feel talked down to by ted cruz. >> and he disappeared from the state except to go to the
9:20 pm
harvard club. he's been gone from the state. >> he should have gone to pennsylvania. >> i don't know that he could have done anything different. i was in on some of the original new york values discussions, and it wasn't about the people of new york or the firefighters or the first responders. the trump team did skillfully use that against him, and it did work. >> who are you talking good? >> politicians and their policies. >> eliot spitzer? >> people like that and people who are anti-gun or pro-abortion or pro-tax and pro-limited freedom and more regulation. so that's what that message was aimed at. >> pro-abortion? that's how you guys say it. >> the term actually came from trump himself on a "meet the press" interview. he's the one who talked about new york values and he defined them as being pro-choice, you know. >> new yorkers like their values. they feel pretty good about their own values. i don't know that that's the way to win over a state.
9:21 pm
>> what if he had gone to pennsylvania and put -- you know, rooted himself in pennsylvania and tried for that and then indiana? >> he was in philadelphia tonight. >> notice what he's done. it's like you said. he didn't spend a lot of time here in new york, but he went to wyoming last weekend and picked off those 14 delegates. he's been in pennsylvania. he's in philadelphia tonight. he'll be in indiana this week. so he's -- you know, he's looking toward the next round. next week will be tough too. >> and what is the chance that donald trump now can avoid a -- can do it on the first ballot? >> it's better than it was before the beginning of the night but i think it will still be tough. >> next week is interesting because i look at delaware. i look at rhode island, and then of course the big states of connecticut, maryland, and pennsylvania. he could sweep them. maryland, a little tough, huh? >> i think pennsylvania also has 54 unbound delegates, so we don't know where those are going to go exactly. >> you get out of the evangelical states, you don't have a place for ted cruz to
9:22 pm
catch on. i think part of the problem is you get into these states that have less of an evangelical population -- >> if you heard his speech tonight, and it was a very different ted cruz. it was a very different tone. he was talking about the economic -- he was talking about the economy, but he also talked about and might have irritated the democrats. he talked about obama's yes, we can and was moving it to yes, we will. he was talking about all the people getting hammered, all the people getting hurt in this economy. >> he was trying to be rick santorum. >> this was such an overwhelming demonstration of clout, albeit in his home state by donald trump that the republican party establishment, such as it is, they recognize big numbers in a big state in the media capital. >> sure. >> this is going to have, i predict, a ripple effect where you're going to start seeing a lot of these people who were ostensibly with the stop-trump movement, with anybody but trump movement thinking of someone way
9:23 pm
to not only reconcile themselves but even climb aboard the trump ship on the theory that they're going to help domesticate donald trump, that they're going to save -- >> well he gave them a case tonight by showing he can be domesticated. the big question in the republican party for weeks now has been are we better off riding this new vehicle, donald trump, let him take over the party for one political season, 2016, or better to have him and his people walk if we have to? it looks to me like we're looking closer at the necessity of living with him. >> i think that's right, and the fact that paul manafort was at the capitol hill club today, meeting with members -- >> which is the republican club next to the capitol. >> and right next to the rnc. and reince priebus was with the republican caucus, the house caucus, trying to tell them that trump charges about a rigged delegate process are just not true and that these are the rules and basically trying to
9:24 pm
combat trump's very effective, i think, public arguments. and manafort meanwhile was quietly wooing house members. >> numbers time. out of five, what's the number that describes how likely it is we're watching a fall campaign matching hillary clinton with donald trump? out of five? >> five is what? >> it's going to happen. >> certainty. >> met aphysical certainty. >> you know, two and a half. >> four. >> four. >> four. >> good. i give it the four. >> sorry, rick. >> on any prediction in this universe of 2016, any predicts anything, it's wild. this is still the greatest, craziest year there's ever been. >> i can't resist saying that, rick, you correct me if i'm wrong. the sub text of the capitol hill was that the capitol hill restaurant -- oh, the capitol hill club, okay. yes, that's the ultimate insider
9:25 pm
joint. sorry. i was thinking of the capital grill. >> thanks to my colleagues tonight. joy reid, howard fooineman and andrea mitchell. the latest reporting from our nbc road warriors coming up. you know, going into the panic, trying to smell what's going on, who's going to win the race, that kind of thing. you're watching a special edition of hardball, the place for politics.
9:26 pm
9:27 pm
9:28 pm
9:29 pm
>> i'm going forward because more voices remain to be heard. and tomorrow it's on to connecticut, delaware, maryland, pennsylvania, rhode island, and beyond. >> i'm flying tomorrow morning to indiana. i'm going to pennsylvania. i will be all over. so we're going to celebrate for about two hours. then early in the morning i get up, and we begin working again. thank you, everybody. and thank you, new york. we love new york. >> welcome back to our special live coverage of the new york primary today. those were tonight's big winners, of course. donald trump and hillary clinton, who each took big steps towards winning their party's nominations. earlier tonight, by the way, bernie sanders addressed reporters in his double-digit defeat to secretary clinton. here he is. it's a concession speech.
9:30 pm
here he is. >> over the last 11 1/2 months, this campaign has come a very, very long way. we started off 60, 65% points behind the polls. a few recent polls have actually had us in the lead. we believe we have the momentum, and we believe we have a path toward victory. while i congratulate secretary clinton, i must say that i am really concerned about the conduct of the voting process in new york state. and i hope that that process will change in the future. and i'm not alone about my concerns. the comptroller of the city of new york talked today about voter irregularities and about chaos at the polling places as did the mayor of the city of new
9:31 pm
york, mayor de blasio. i remain also concerned that in a state as large as new york, almost 30% of the eligible voters, some 3 million new yorkers, were unable to vote today because they had registered as independents, not democrats or republicans. and that makes no sense to me at all. people should have the right to participate in a primary and vote for their candidate for president of the united states. so we lost tonight. there are five primaries next week. we think we're going to do well, and we have a path toward victory, which we are going to fight to maintain. so thank you all very much for being here. >> i'm joined by my nbc road
9:32 pm
warriors who cover the campaigns, katy tur to my right, hallie jackson right there, jacob soeb rof, and kasie hunt. i want to talk tonight about something different. it's past midnight. katy, the guy you cover, he ain't easy to cover. but as you look into what soul there is there and you look into donald trump, is he going -- i've always asked people, did you ever meet anybody who changed? i never met anybody who changed. is trump changing? >> i think he is. >> to meet the circumstances of maybe being a nominee for president. >> i think change is a strong word. i think he's adjusting. >> did you see it tonight? >> we saw a much tighter donald trump up there on the podium today talking about his message. he didn't say lyin' ted. he said senator ted cruz. he was more gracious than he has been in past victory speeches. i think it's a direct result of the new campaign staff that he has, who's advising him right
9:33 pm
now and telling him to focus on his message and less on the outrageous statements and the unforced errors. >> tell me about bernie because i'm watching him and i'm watching jeff weaver a lot, his very careful use of words. he is as of this point not making long-term commitments now. but it must be mesmerizing for a senator at his age to be realizing this country is turning oven to him in the national polls. our poll has got him within two. i think he's in the passing lane. he's raising all this money and at the same time he's losing. >> right. >> how does he put all that together? >> well, i think he's gotten more and more frustrated, particularly with the media as, you know, we've covered him and every single time something like this happens, everyone looks around and says when is bernie sanders going to drop out of this race? that more than anything, it gets under his skin. you can see it in that press conference. you can see it kind of day in and day out. i think it's part of why you're going to see them continue to dig in here. i mean he has said -- devine has
9:34 pm
said that bernie sanders decided after nevada until the district of columbia. that's still the deal. even though there's going to be more pressure than ever, the question is how do they readjust their tone if at all. those conversations are going to start to go on because the question now for the democratic party is, you know, how does this go together? some of my sources are raising questions about whether or not if bernie sanders stays in, stays negative against hillary clinton, does that ultimately turn off some of his younger supporters and help her in the long run? >> he has to eventually bring them in if he loses. >> yes, he does. but there's some questions about, you know, both how she conducts herself and how he, if he's going to get out of this race, lands the plane in such a way that they can kind of bridge that gap and bring it together. i think there's potential -- there's the potential for a lot of anger on both sides, and i don't think it's a foregone conclusion that bernie sanders is going to tell all these young donors, hey, you got to go goet on board with hillary clinton. and i'm going to work hard to
9:35 pm
make that happen. >> i wonder if he's capable of bringing them aboard. i think it's going to take elizabeth warren and some other people. hallie jackson, your guy. >> ted cruz. >> he was in pennsylvania tonight. the constitution center. i thought that was interesting. that's his thing. >> that's his whole sha peel. tonight's speech, you like to say intrepid. at the museum, you know the constitution museum. it was a museum feel. it was like 150 people there. this was not a big rally. this was sort of ted cruz behind a podium delivering, by the way, a brand new speech. you talk about change and tone changing. this is a new message from ted cruz. he said not yes, we can, but yes, we will. it was empowerment. it was inspiration, optimism. diametrically opposed to the worlds on fire message. >> he has pennsylvania, maryland, connecticut, rhode island, delaware. he could lose five.
9:36 pm
>> he's looking ahead to the contested convention, right, just like john kasich is doing. he wants to be able to make the argument in a contested convention that he is the one who could beat hillary clinton in a general election. for months, he and donald trump, he sidled up to the message, you know, him and donald trump shared a similar message. now you're seeing them sort of break apart. >> i think every time ted cruz talks about a contested convention or getting more delegates or going to a place like colorado or wyoming and gathering those delegates without the vote, it plays into donald trump's hands and his strength. right now he's talking about winning the popular vote, winning millions of more voters than ted cruz or than any of the other candidates, and yet he's losing delegates. he's painting that as unfair, and it's a very simple and easy message for the voter to understand. and it's easy for them to get angry about, and that works for donald trump. >> both by the way, trump and bernie both used this blame the ref. oh, we're getting screwed again,
9:37 pm
because it appeals to the outsiders. >> this whole election is about how the system is flawed and people want to throw it out. they want to get rid of all these -- >> particularly he says the brooklyn -- you know, there aren't enough precinct voting tonight. there's something about this weird overlay of money in the fund-raising event at george clooney's house. this is very particular complaints. >> it resonates. i think not since maybe 2000 have you heard so much talk about disenfranchisement and voters feeling like they've been left out of the process. when you hear bernie sanders talk about what happened in brooklyn, and the truth of the matter it wasn't really happening tonight in brooklyn. this has been something going on the board of elections told me today for quite some time. you heard donald trump basically backing him up saying this guy is also getting screwed by the process. you guys spend time with the candidates. i spend time with the voters. they all talk about how they feel like this process is rigged. >> how is it in new york? >> in new york, the same-day registration, people can't come
9:38 pm
out and change their party. wow have had to change your party if you were an independent to flip over to democrat or republican six months ago. >> if you want to vote in the democratic primary, register as a democrat. i could say that to bernie sanders too. >> part of it, chris is we had 50 ununited states of voting. >> that's really simple. register with the party you want to have an influence with. that's not complicated. >> six months ago they might not have felt a need to be or a desire to be a bernie sanders supporter. they could have been a republican six months ago, and then suddenly bernie sanders' message is resonating and they can't switch parties. >> they're not anchored to a party. >> that 50/48 that we're suddenly seeing, there are a lot of people, they would argue, who maybe would have considered registering with the democratic party and voting for bernie sanders if they thought he had a chance to take on hillary clinton. that's why they're so angry about all these presumptions in the media because they feel like it screwed them over a really
9:39 pm
long time ago. >> it happens the other way too. i was in howard beach today at a polling site, and they told me maybe half of the people that showed up there were democrats that wanted to switch over and vote for donald trump, and they felt like that they were so frustrated by the process because they weren't able to do that. you know what? in all fairness, maybe they should have done if six months ago, but what you're saying, maybe they didn't know. >> an open primary has been playing right into donald trump's strengths. >> one thing is missing, which is an odd thing to say is missing, is the old political machines used to tell people how to do this. there's no help. there's nobody coming door to door saying what are you up to? of course in the old days, they told you how to vote. >> you look at the message of getting the rules out there, right? donald trump and bernie sanders too with these young people, they're bringing in people who maybe don't get it. this can sometimes be a complicated process and when you're ted cruz and you have to explain that to people. if you're talking about the process, you're not talking about the message. they believe it's going to resonate but -- >> any course in college is more
9:40 pm
difficult than figuring out how to vote, okay? look, they spend their lives in complicated agendas. >> i was a pretty bad college student. i don't know. >> i think you could handle this. five minutes of thought, you'll figure it out. >> how a contested convention would work, it's not something people have seen in the modern era. it's new to them. >> people go to school in different states. >> i know, i know. this works with the trump people. if you don't have a job, blame it on the country. the country's getting shoved around. that's why you're getting shoved around. >> it's an easy message to understand. >> you never blame the voter. the road warriors are sticking with us. much more ahead on the new york primary results. we're going to go forward with hillary now. we're going to talk about hillary and we're going to talk about trump. will they march to victory? will they within warriors as well. stay with us on msnbc, the place for politicians.
9:41 pm
9:42 pm
9:43 pm
9:44 pm
as robert kennedy, whose senate seat i was honored to hold once said, we are a great country, an unselfish country, and a compassionate country. and no matter what anyone tells you or what you might hear from others running for president, that is still true today. >> welcome back to our special live coverage. it's still live tonight of the new york primary, which was yesterday actually. donald trump and hillary clinton both beat the spread. both of them, hillary clinton definitely beat the spread and donald trump was gangbusters today, winning by a margin -- i don't see margins like 35% these days. there was an historic field tonight with hillary clinton invoking robert kennedy. we're back with our road warriors, katy tur, hallie jackson, i often refer to as halle berry, and jacob soboroff.
9:45 pm
kasie hunt 'the easiest thing to pronounce i've ever come across, as well it should be. i want you all to do something we don't usually do on television. can we get the thing you feel is going on in the air right now that's leading to these rather surprising results? you know, we wouldn't have predicted any of this year a year ago. you first. she was looking me right in the eye. >> i always look when you're talking. i think i can speak to when we're out with ted cruz what you hear from people who support him. i think there's a sense among his supporters that as a nation, we have forgotten where we've come from. there's things that they talk about. they talk about the idea that people are overstepping executive power. they don't like that president obama has done that. you hear a lot about the supreme court out with ted cruz. unsurprisingly perhaps because he talks a lot about the constitution and his background as a lawyer, but there's a sense we have now moved beyond sort of where our roots are. >> tyranny. >> there's a deep dissatisfaction with that. there's a sense too that they want somebody who is not going
9:46 pm
to talk out of both sides their mouth. that's part of the appeal with donald trump, but it's -- >> i hear with cruz, the federal government is taking too many powers upon itself. it should only have those powers delineated in the constitution. >> when you talk about president obama and executive orders, he's signed less exclusive orders than most modern presidents, but it's the perception. this is what i think the republican party does. but certainly what ted cruz tries to do on the stump, and i think that he definitely resonates with a portion of the republican base, but there's also a lot of folks out there who just don't find him to be as -- as -- >> authentic. >> authentic, thank you. >> you're talking about cruz? >> talking about cruz. as donald trump. >> i think our ratings drop when we talk cruz. i'm sorry. they do. let's talk trump. i think -- i'm just kidding, but i'm not kidding. trump is winning. >> there's a reason you say that, and there's a reason behind it. i think people are interested in what trump has to say. it's the old howard stern joke.
9:47 pm
they watch him becaume because me, and they watch me because they hate me. they want to know what i'm going to say next. >> that is a big part. the kid at school that's fighting with the teacher and everybody is rooting for it. keep this up. i love the guy is taking on the teacher. >> i think they feel like they can trust him for whatever reason. i think at the beginning of the campaign we were talking about americans are so angry. people are angry about everything. but the more i talk to people, it's that people don't trust or institution whether it's our banks or schools and especially or government. now people want to look to somebody they can trust that feel like they speak outside the system. >> when you do your walking backwards and everything, do people see you as a friend or one of those media people? >> most of time it's like can you get out of my way? i'm trying to vote right now. >> come on. what's the reaction. >> he's the friendliest. >> i think that people want to share how they feel. people feel really bottled up about how they feel right now and they want to -- they come up to me for whatever reason or
9:48 pm
when i come to them and interrupt them from voting, they want to talk to me about what's going on in their lives. incidentally, chris, sandy lett gave me this letter for you because you were her absolute favorite today when i was at the polling place. >> you have a very narrow tie. >> it's called a skinny tie, chris. >> it's very early '60s. kasie hunt, easiest name to remember and how to pronounce. what do you hear out there? >> my name is not easy to pronounce for the report. often mispronounced. >> you used up your time. thank you. >> come on. >> go ahead. >> so bernie sanders, for example, on the other side, we talked a lot about why republicans are disconnected. think about why young people are disconnected. because they spend way more time on these phones than they do interacting with their government or with any other institution. >> or person frankly, one-on-one. >> it's all about -- >> four people at the table having lunch together, all like this. i don't want to dplan abocompla
9:49 pm
the way we are. thank you to these great campaign reporters. katy tur, also fascinates me what you have to put up with trump. hallie jackson, a who. thank you. kasie hunt, thank you, dear. you're everywhere, and you're often in the cold. >> i get very cold. i get accused of acting like i'm -- >> the place for politics. life from the nbc newsroom. see it all around us. this is the real thing at 30 rockefeller in new york.
9:50 pm
9:51 pm
9:52 pm
9:53 pm
well, welcome back to msnbc's special election coverage of the new york primary just over at midnight. joining me now is an actor who played pastor isaiah on the good wife. he also stars in an upcoming film, independence day, resurgence. anyway, sequels are great. you are a bernie guy. >> i am. as of the last debate. >> where does bernie go now? he got whacked today -- yesterday. >> it was a rough day, rough week. but bernie persists. i mean the thing is he's got a lot of supporters. the numbers are increasing as far as the number of people coming out to support him. he's got a real message that resonates. he comes across authentic because he believes what he's saying. >> i think so. he's got a philosophy. he's got an ideology. he's a democratic socialist and talks about it. >> and his philosophy resonates with people because he's giving the people -- he's bringing the people's message to the media. >> so it's a weird situation
9:54 pm
because it is getting later. it's may in a week or two. it's going to be may, and i keep thinking oh, this thing is going to go on forever, but it doesn't. all of a sudden it's june, and then we have the convention. it's very close coming on. what does he do if he faces defeat? does he unite his forces and say, i'm who i am. hillary's different. i'm going to wait this out? what's he do? next time? >> well, i think he's going to unite the party as far as if he doesn't win, he's going to make sure that, you know, his supporters and make sure that hillary, you know, is elected. i think -- >> you're a young guy. you think people even younger than you are going to be able to move -- you're not cheap. how does he move them into the corral with the regular democratic party? >> you have to look at our options, right? we have hillary -- without bernie, we have hillary and then -- >> trump probably. >> yeah, so the choices are easy then, chris, aren't they? >> yeah. >> i mean the problem is -- >> what do you think of trump? >> the problem is we have a two-party system and there's no way a two-party system
9:55 pm
represents. as far as what i think of trump -- >> we've always had two parties. >> well. >> mainly. >> we had a much smaller electorate at the time as well. a lot of the people couldn't vote before. now we have a nation where everyone can vote. so two parties no longer represents the citizenry. >> why did you -- i got this from you earlier. why did you register independent, which prevents you from getting involved in the party politics of the democratic party, for example? you can't vote. >> i think part of it is like being forced, being forced to pick a party, pick among two. there's no real conversation there. it's like when you're a kid and your mother says, you can have the broccoli or the asparagus, as if that's a choice. >> and you want the hamburger. >> thank you. yes, i want the hamburger. >> so what do you think is going to happen? >> you asked me before what i thought about trump. i think trump is one of the best things to talk about why this is such a joke, this system. so i'm glad he's in the race. it's shining a light on this whole -- the hilarity of it all.
9:56 pm
i think that bernie is going to go all the way to the convention, and that's exactly what we need. we need more people out there talking, and fighting. and i think hillary might have a good chance. >> this system has gotten a bad rap, you know. until fairly recently, we picked some pretty good presidents over the years. so it's maybe not the system. maybe it's the culture right now. anyway, thank you for coming on and expressing those views. i'll see you back here tomorrow night for hardball at 7:00 eastern. nice show tomorrow night. 7:00 live tomorrow night. msnbc coverage of the new york primary continues after this break.
9:57 pm
9:58 pm
9:59 pm
10:00 pm
welcome back at the top of the hour. a view of lower manhattan. the night of the new york primary which in the days as it approached felt more serious and con skeshl than merely one state's primary. tonight results have born the t out. you see the blue at the top of the empire state building. at 39 minutes past the closing of the polls hillary clinton, our projected winner in new york and not by a small amount either.

78 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on