Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  August 23, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
everyone wants the federal government there as fast as possible. hillary's guest list. let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews from washington. donald trump has opened up a new front against hillary clinton, going after her ties to the clinton foundation during her time as secretary of state. while newly disclosed e-mails show donors getting what appears to be special access. now today, the associated press reported late today that more than half the people from inside or outside government, rather, that hillary clinton met with as secretary of state were people who donated to the clinton foundation. more than half. according to the a.p. at least 85 of the 154 people from private interests who met or had phone conversations scheduled
11:01 pm
with clinton while she led the state department donated to her family charity or pledged to its programs. combined, the 85 donors contributed as much as $156 million. at least 40 donated more than $100,000 each and 20 gave more than $1 million each. today, trump's running mate called it quote, further evidence of pay to play politics. clinton's spokesman responded to the a.p. report late today. brian falin said this story relies on utterly flawed data, cherry picked a limited subject subset to give a portrayal of how often she crossed paths with individuals connected to charitable donations to the clinton foundation. the data does not account for more than half her tenure as secretary and omitted meetings she took with world leaders, let alone countless others she took with countless government officials. that's an interesting comment but it doesn't challenge the actual numbers. we will get to that. anyway, yesterday trump called for a special prosecutor to look into her actions.
11:02 pm
>> no issue better illustrates how corrupt my opponent is than her pay for play scandals as secretary of state. as the evidence has become public over the last several months, i become increasingly shocked by the vast scope of hillary clinton's criminality. it's criminality. the amounts involved, the favors done and the significant number of times it was done require an expedited investigation by a special prosecutor immediately, immediately, immediately. >> well, the latest batch of e-mails were released after a lawsuit from the conservative group judicial watch. they include 725 pages of e-mails from clinton aide huma abedin. the campaign said in a statement quote no matter how the group tries to mischaracterize these documents, the fact remains that hillary clinton never took
11:03 pm
action as secretary of state because of donations to the clinton foundation. but today's associated press report shows thashe makes the point to meet with its donors. we have the president of emily's list, a clinton supporter. senior political reporter for "usa today" . and michael steele, former chairman of the republican national committee and msnbc political analyst. he's the one on the right in that three picture. just teasing. heidi, let's get to the facts of the latest developments and what they bear. the clinton campaign challenged these numbers but they are fascinating. first, it seems like a paltry number of private sector people. if you count four years she was secretary of state, that's about 200 weeks, in that entire 200 weeks she met with only like 153 people. of them, 86 people were donors to the clinton foundation. but my question, that's a scanty list of people to meet with to start with. isn't it? >> yeah. well, that's why the clinton campaign is saying this is not representative of all of the meetings what she had.
11:04 pm
>> all the private sector meetings. >> right. private sector meetings. even private sector, the clinton campaign is saying this is cherry picking. that's up to them to say that. >> what does that mean? >> but here's what the whole narrative means, including what's come out today from a.p., including what came out from judicial watch, which is that this is not classic pay to play but what it is is it's classic evidence of influence buying and the type of influence buying and access that everyone at this table knows goes on all over washington. in this case it has an extra layer of being problematic because it's involving foreign governments and not just your classic millionaires and billionaires. >> we are going to go through these cases. your first reaction, i think the cases, i agree about the access. it reminds me of how you get a meeting. if you give to a senate campaign, either party, male or female, if you contribute to a campaign, you will get an appointment with that person once they're elected. that's the way it works. you may not like it, right?
11:05 pm
>> absolutely that's the way it works. >> if you make a contribution to a politician you get an appointment. >> that's where it ends. >> one example being used by critics of secretary clinton is an e-mail exchange over a meeting with the crown prince of bahrain whose family donated millions to the clinton foundation. doug band, a clinton foundation executive e-mailed huma abedin of the secretary of state's office saying quote, crown prince of bahrain in friday asking to see her. good friend of ours. huma first responded clinton didn't want to commit. then eventually she wrote quote, offering bahrain crown prince 10 tomorrow for a meeting with hrc. if you see him let him know. we have reached out through official channels. they say they will let the guy in but he is also pursuing the regular channels. it seems to me appropriate to meet with the crown prince of bahrain if you are secretary of state. just a thought. >> precisely. all of these meetings were scheduled through official channels of the state department. she's secretary of state.
11:06 pm
her job in fact is to meet with world leaders and government leaders which the vast majority of her meetings over her tenure were exactly that. >> your reaction? >> it's just another example of the broader problem in the first place which was this reminds me of e-mails, of the paid speeches which is why did you have this connection in the first place of even having the foundation while at the state department because if it's going to be hundreds of examples like this where people will make these charges. >> if i may, the foundation actually went above and beyond in setting up its arrangement so it was very very transparent, ethical from the very beginning, the 2009 foundation. >> clearly it wasn't transparent and ethical enough. look, chris, you make the point, you play off the number because so few people out of 156, 80 something, but they gave $156 million to the foundation after those relationships. you didn't put on the table the fact that the foreign
11:07 pm
dignitaries, nobel prize winner and others who had the same access contributed $170 million to the foundation. so you line up the ducks here and you see that even if there is no, you could say it's transparent -- >> i'm trying to get all the information on the table. what are you bringing to the table i don't have? help me here. >> no, the bangladeshi nobel prize winner who was being charged by his government for the way he ran their foundation in his country sought out hillary clinton. so hillary clinton, you know, he wants her help. she gives him some help. subsequent to that, not him but organizations that he has a direct tie and oversight of then contributed $100,000 and $250,000. it may all be very innocent. but the fact of the matter is, how does it pass a smell test when everything else doesn't -- >> couple things come through. first of all, we don't know all
11:08 pm
kinds of reasons why they accept somebody into their office. a lot of these people have been friends forever. the marine wife, they have been hanging out with them for years. there are all kinds of motives for letting a person have an interview. >> plus some of these people like the slimfast executive have positions outside of their corporate role such as he was head of the center for peace and security, whatever the name. ngos. >> doesn't he lend his plane to clinton, that guy? >> sure. [ speaking simultaneously ] >> we have to remember this is the clinton foundation and the clinton global initiative. this is an organization doing massive amounts of charitable work. >> i'm not challenging that point. >> that's a distraction. that's not the point. >> i think it is actually really important. this is -- >> why is bill clinton saying i'm not going to be head of it anymore if she gets elected? why pull out if it's not a problem? >> they were always going to try to figure out, it will be the
11:09 pm
first time he will be -- >> they just announced this week they aren't taking money from overseas anymore. they aren't taking money, they are admitting there's a conflict. >> if my chance, i'm political so i'm always afraid i will jinx the election, but if she becomes president of the united states, he will be for the first time ever, a spouse of the president of the united states. of course the circumstances change. >> whether that is good enough given everything that's coming out, because then there's still questions. what about chelsea? will she divorce herself? what about the contributions that might be made between now and the election? why not end it now? that's why you have even the boston globe editorial board saying cut it off. cut ties. >> i got to say, i said this before many times, i completely believe what stephanie says. it's a great organization. it does great work. my son worked for it like ten years ago, got the job himself after he graduated from brown. he talked to somebody up there. he didn't want to do the peace corps for two years. he had a girlfriend, wanted to limit it so i did five months in rwanda after the genocide.
11:10 pm
he worked there and made sure the aids drugs didn't go into the european black market. what the clinton people do which is really tough, they say give to us, the drugs, pay for them and we will make sure the local government doesn't steal it. this is a big thing in aid. most aid gets stolen. what the clinton people do is we will make sure if you give to them, the money will get to the right people. it will benefit people. it won't be another one of these jokes most foreign aid is. it's a good cause. >> look -- all the more reason to your point they should cut it off now. all the more reason to ask the question -- >> who will pick it up? who is going to do what bill clinton's been doing? >> it's not like bill clinton is standing there handing out the aid himself. he's got an entire team. it will still be his name. it will still be his organization. >> he's mr. charm. let's take a look at carville. i think carville is always incredibly honest. you don't have to believe that he's bipartisan but he's honest. on "morning joe" he was asked whether the foundation should
11:11 pm
have stopped taking foreign donations when hillary clinton became secretary of state. a great question. watch. >> the good would be we wouldn't be gathered here. the bad would be you would be out hundreds of millions of dollars that are doing good. what the clinton foundation does, it takes money from rich people and gives it to poor people. most people think that's a pretty good idea. >> should they have done that from the beginning? >> if you ask me as a political adviser, of course. if you ask me as a human being, i'm not too sure. as a human being, i think it does an enormous amount of good. from a strictly political standpoint, my sixth grade teacher says somebody's going to hell over this because somebody here or somewhere, this is saving people's lives. >> you like that? he basically said it's a good cause and politically it's a state problem. let's take a look. the trump campaign put out a statement from former new york mayor rudy giuliani about the
11:12 pm
associated press story which we just broke here. it said in part from the facts revealed today it is impossible to figure out where the clinton foundation ends and the state department begins. it is now abundantly clear that the clintons set up a business to profit from public office, they sold access and specific actions for money. in other words they merged the two into the clinton family racketeering enterprise. way over the top. i see no criminality here. i see ethics and conflict, which we live in washington. every one watching knows when you give to a political politician you expect access. when they call up and say he wants to meet with you sometime this week you get the meeting. >> but hillary took no action and she made that clear and that is very true. she took no action as secretary of state. none whatsoever. >> we are being very legalistic and that's true. >> when you talk about special
11:13 pm
prosecutors, you ought to be legalistic. has a law been broken? >> it doesn't violate anything. there were no favors. but when you present this to the average american, it doesn't ring true that this doesn't lead to corruption. let me just point out here that is exactly what the supreme court ruled in 2014 with the mccutcheon v fec case when it says it does not lead to corruption. tell me, bring that to the american people and ask them if they really believe that. that is unfortunately the system we have been given. >> we have this system. basically there's two kinds of politicians like there's two kinds of everything. there's the rich person who can pay their way right through. trump was certainly doing that pretty effectively. the rockefellers, corzine in new jersey, frank lautenberg. they can write the checks. you want those people running the country? or the other kind of people like the clintons? they basically live off of the friendship of people and the money they give to them and those people are still their friends when they get elected. >> they are.
11:14 pm
two things, one, to the idea that this is a noble foundation and it is, the inferences that but for this relationship, those people who gave that money wouldn't give that money. well, if the foundation is that noble they would have given it under their own volition without some connection to hillary clinton. two, the idea that because you have the situation where hillary clinton is in office as secretary of state, it's not the same thing. it's not that they gave to her political campaign, they gave to a foundation that has all kinds of ties and relationships to foreign governments. that's a big difference for a lot of people out there. if we were talking about donors to her campaign like you are talking that we all know happens in this town, different conversation. >> you put it all together there. i thank you all. this is murky. we can agree it's murky. it's a great opportunity for critics to make -- but the criminality question and calling it racketeering? i don't think she became
11:15 pm
secretary of state so she could help the clinton foundation. i think she accepted it as a public service. i'm telling you. and an honor. and an honor. but as martin luther king said sometimes when you do the right thing it has political benefits. thank you all. coming up, donald trump has been making his case to minority voters, a bloc that polls show are resistant to his candidacy. i'd say. is he truly trying to go after minority voters? then why isn't he meeting with african-american voters? that's my question. one way to show someone you want them to vote for you, you meet them. he hasn't done that yet. plus, ann coulter makes the case for trump. she's out with a new bookmaking the case for the billionaire businessman and tonight tells us why skeptical republicans, independents and democrats should take a second look. speaking of trump, why is he promoting the idea that hillary clinton isn't healthy enough to be commander in chief? that she lacks, i love this word, i don't know where it came from but it sounds gender related, stamina.
11:16 pm
what's stamina all about? his critics are calling that sexism. the roundtable delves into that. look at all the women who won gold medals. it's unbelievable. the american women are the fourth biggest country in the world in the olympics just themselves. finally, the determination to give people who served their time for doing bad things back into society.
11:17 pm
president obama today toured the flood ravaged section of louisiana where at least 13 people have died as a result of the storms down there. at least 100,000 have suffered home damage. in his remarks this afternoon, the president urged americans not to forget about those affected. >> let me just remind folks, sometimes once the flood waters
11:18 pm
pass, people's attention spans pass. this is not a one-off. this is not a photo op issue. this is how do you make sure that a month from now, three months from now, six months from now, people still are getting the help that they need.
11:19 pm
narrator: it wasn't that long ago. years of devastating cutbacks to our schools. 30,000 teachers laid off. class sizes increased. art and music programs cut. we can't ever go back. ryan ruelas: so vote yes on proposition 55. reagan duncan: prop 55 prevents 4 billion in new cuts to our schools. letty muñoz-gonzalez: simply by maintaining the current tax rate on the wealthiest californians. ryan ruelas: no new education cuts, and no new taxes.
11:20 pm
reagan duncan: vote yes on 55. sarah morgan: to help our children thrive. poor hispanic and african-american citizens are the first to lose a job or to see a pay cut when we don't control our borders. hillary clinton's plan amounts to total and absolute total open borders. open borders. >> welcome back to "hardball." that was donald trump of course last night in akron, ohio making another pitch for african-american voters. well, trump continued his plea for minority support by asking what black and hispanic voters
11:21 pm
have to lose by supporting him. >> the democrats have failed completely in the inner cities. poverty, rejection, horrible education, no housing, no homes, no ownership, crime at levels that nobody's seen. you could go to war zones in countries that we're fighting and it's safer than living in some of our inner cities. to the african-americans who i employ so many, so many people, to the hispanics, tremendous people, what the hell do you have to lose? give me a chance. >> trump isn't campaigning in the communities he wants to win over, apparently. the "wall street journal" say supporters of the new york businessman have asked him to speak at black colleges, black churches and the national association for the advancement of colored people, the nation's largest black advocacy
11:22 pm
organization but he's declined. mr. trump has delivered some of his appeals in fact to african-americans in communities that are overwhelmingly white. he is struggling across the board with minorities according to our latest nbc news surveys. clinton leads trump, these numbers are amazing, by 80 percentage points among black voters, 80% is the difference. she leads him by over 50 percentage points among hispanic americans and is up 43%, these are differences, among asian americans. trump only leads clinton among white voters 50% to 40%, not enough for him to win this election. boris epshteyn is senior adviser to the clinton campaign and richard fallon, radio host. is this aimed at getting the number up among white moderates or aimed at encouraging african-americans to vote for him? >> the campaign is absolutely aimed at bringing in people of all communities, of all backgrounds. of course, specifically, at african-americans.
11:23 pm
if you look at where african-americans are in this country, 26% poverty among african-americans. double unemployment among african-americans than that of white people. if you look at a city like chicago, 4,000 murders from when barack obama became president. of course donald trump is speaking to people in african-american communities saying give me a chance, look at what you have had under democratic leaders, are you any better off. the answer is absolutely they are not. >> what has trump done for african-americans politically or in his private life so far? >> politically is not a fair question. >> his private life. >> he's employed a lot of african-americans, lot of african-american leaders in his businesses. now he's running for president and saying when elected president he will revitalize the inner cities, make them safe, economically successful again, like they used to be. the city of detroit used to be a shining city on a hill. it's a terrible place except for the businessmen that are trying to revitalize it. chicago, again -- >> let me ask you about politics which is my field. if you want a community to vote for you go to that community.
11:24 pm
you stand in front of the church or go to a community center and you invite or go to the congressional black caucus which is always ready to meet with somebody like trump. they will certainly meet with any presidential candidate and you meet face-to-face where you establish good or bad chemistry but you make an appeal to the person. why hasn't he done that yet? >> the appeal is made personally every night, every time he speaks. >> to african-american audiences. why is he not going to african-american audiences? >> it's not about the location. it's about the message. the message is carried on every network including this one. >> are you serious, boris? are you making an argument to me if you want a community to vote for you don't have to go to that community? this is a new kind of politics i have never heard from. you don't have to go to the community that's going to vote for you? >> my argument is almost revolutionary for a republican candidate to be speaking about the issues that are affecting african-american community. >> but he's doing it in front of all white audiences. >> yesterday was in front of -- akron, ohio is actually a very diverse --
11:25 pm
>> okay. okay. okay. we have the video to show. let me go over to richard. why do you think donald trump, hard to put him politically, i wouldn't call him conservative. he's an outsider. let's call him that. why do you think he's making this dramatic apparent appeal to african-americans for the last several speeches? why is he doing it? >> i don't think he's really making an appeal to african americans. i think he's talking about them rather than to them. the reason is he wants to drum up support amongst quote, his base of voters, white men. so when you say i'm a law and order candidate, these areas are war zones, that's exactly what white men want to hear all across the country. so he's quote unquote talking to black people, actually talking at them and talking to the whites he needs to come out and vote. if donald trump was serious about getting black voters he would go to a black church, he would go to historically black colleges. hell, he would go to a black city. last week he spoke in lansing,
11:26 pm
michigan. about an hour away is detroit. you can talk about detroit all you want but if you are not going there and talking to the people of detroit about what you are going to do for them -- >> you are -- i know you are a progressive. i am in many ways myself. what would be a republican pitch, not a pretend to be democratic pitch but an actual conservative pitch to a black audience. what would be effective if you wanted to make one? >> here's the thing. he has the raw materials to make a good pitch to african-americans. detroit, flint, all these cities were impacted badly by nafta, they will be even worse impact ed by the tpp. he should talk about how he's going to bring jobs back to america. he would rather talk about law and order and calling their cities war zones. >> he talks about the economy all the time. >> is he going to go to black neighborhoods and talk about jobs? >> of course he will be talking about jobs. he's already been talking about jobs.
11:27 pm
>> in black neighborhoods. >> he has to go to black neighborhoods, first. >> it's not about the location. it's about the process. >> why do you keep saying that? >> the speeches are carried across the networks, across the country. >> i have heard weak arguments. that's really weak. you go to the people, all politics is local. >> it's about what's in the speech. he will be all over the country over the next 77 days, no question about it. liberals want to knock down everything donald trump does. >> no, no, no. that's not true. >> that's not what we're doing here. that's not what we have been doing the last five minutes. richard? >> i actually think donald trump has a great message on trade. sadly, that message is not penetrating. donald trump panders to voters all the time. he went to reading, pennsylvania, he goes to pittsburgh because he's trying to get blue collar white people to vote for him. sadly, wait a minute, wait a minute, boris, he's not going to talk to hispanic voters, he's not going to detroit or chicago or flint or cleveland to talk to black voters because he don't care about them. >> where is hillary clinton? is she going to inner cities? she is absolutely awol.
11:28 pm
>> give me a list of politicians who don't pander sometime. it's called campaigning. boris epshteyn -- >> donald trump will be in florida tomorrow, in nevada later this week. he's all over the country. >> not talking to black people. not talking to any black people. >> thank you, boris. weak hand but you made a good case. not really. you made a good effort. thank you. richard, you had a good argument tonight. i like the trade argument in the inner city. i think they have been hollowed out for manufacturing jobs. when i grew up, there were jobs for everybody coming out of high school. real jobs for guys and women. they ain't there anymore. somebody has to deal with that. next, ann coulter makes her case. she will come here and argue for trump next. (lock clicks)
11:29 pm
(dramatic music) (group) surprise! oh my goodness! happy birthday! oh, you. (laughing) oh! oh! well, they say 70 is the new 60. (laughing) were you really surprised? oh, this was a wonderful surprise. you know, at our age, not all surprises can be this good. you're not kidding. (female #1) remember peggy's surprise last month when frank died? so sudden; all the funeral expenses. they were not prepared. well, i'm not going to burden my family with my final expenses.
11:30 pm
-huh? -i called about the colonial penn program this morning. i'm alex trebek. if you're age 50 to 85, call about the colonial penn program now. your acceptance is guaranteed. you'll get free information about this whole life insurance plan that might surprise you in a good way, because it's easy to get and easy on your budget. coverage options for this plan start at $9.95 a month for women and men age 50 to 85. that's about 35 cents a day. and your acceptance is guaranteed. you can't be turned down for any medical reason. no health questions, no medical exam. and here's the best surprise of all: once you're covered, your rate will never increase. it's locked in for life, guaranteed. so, what are you waiting for? you're right, i'm not getting any younger. i'm calling about the colonial penn program today. after this last piece of cake. (laughing)
11:31 pm
call now for your free information and free gift. (soft music) ♪ (colonial penn jingle)
11:32 pm
i'm milissa rehberger.
11:33 pm
welcome back to "hardball." donald trump's presidential campaign has defied critics and skeptics alike. for his supporters, he is bucking the party establishment and channeling the outrage republican regular voters have felt for a long time. in her new book "in trump we trust" ann coulter points out trump's success is due to the fact that quote, he's beholden to no one except the millions of ordinary americans showing up at his speeches following him on twitter but since winning the nomination, trump's trailed hillary clinton in the polls and real clear politics average has clinton ahead by a little over five points right now. so with 77 days to go until election day, how does trump turn it around. for more i'm joined by conservative columnist and author, ann coulter. so the reason i find you interesting as a guest at this point, besides your usual provocative manner, is maybe you have a sense of how to get this ship right again. this guy was running on three great cases. one is people don't like illegal
11:34 pm
immigration. number two, they don't like our jobs going to mexico and china. they don't like hollowing out of our big cities, especially the poor people who live in the big cities in many cases. they sure don't like the stupid wars. on all three points trump was hitting them. but lately he keeps getting distracted in sideline arguments. you can blame the media all you want but if he's a pro he's got to be able to direct the conversation. can he get back to the winning arguments and maybe give hillary a run for her money at the end? >> i think so. what you said is exactly right. it is those three issues. i'm starting to worry that he's panicking and talking to the wrong people because he's sounding a little bit more like the candidates he defeated with the talking points about softening on deporting the ones who are oh, they have been here a long time and are law-abiding. yes, that's true, but how about you just say no, my policy is consistent. people who are here illegally have no right to be here. we will decide whether they stay or not in our national interest. yeah, if they're good for the country we might keep them but
11:35 pm
this is going to be an america first immigration policy, trade policy and war policy. >> do you think he gets it? he got nationalism, does he see how it all fits together? i don't know if he does. because some things he wanders all over the place. >> i think, look, he's not a politician. people always say they don't want a politician to run but when he gives these speeches -- >> i watch them every night. we can't just let him entertain us here. we try to go after the meat. >> but they are very very entertaining speeches. a lot of people come just because they want to be entertained. he's hilariously funny. people are driving for five hours to come here and you start listening to him and you're laughing and you start thinking i agree with that. >> every politician gets completely taken with who's in his crowds and thinks that's the country. they all make that mistake. >> what i'm saying is that is his style. he's getting a little too
11:36 pm
distracted by that. but the speeches he's given since the convention, oh, my gosh, the teleprompter speeches are unbelievable. they are fantastic. they are perfec if he just keeps doing that, that's how he can win. >> will he stick to the message? >> he has been. he's really good at it. he goes a little bit off but not too much. he doesn't start wandering off and start talking about something like i say was fun and >> for over a year, trump has insisted illegal immigrants have got to go. according to the texas tribune today, trump told sean hannity in a pretaped town hall he was open to softening laws that deal with illegal immigrants saying quote, there certainly can be a softening because we are not looking to hurt people. it comes after an interview with bill o'reilly last night in which trump said he would mimic president obama's policies. take a listen. >> we will obey the existing laws. now, the existing laws are very strong. the existing laws, first thing we're going to do if and when i win is we are going to get rid of all of the bad once. as far as everybody else we are
11:37 pm
going to go through the process. what everybody doesn't know is obama got tremendous numbers of people out of the country. bush, same thing. lots of people were brought out of the country with the existing laws. i'm going to do the same thing. >> what's trump saying to the american people right now about immigration? what did that add up to? how is it different than obama? >> how is it different from all the candidates he just beat. that's one of the five talking points every politician says. >> deport the felons. >> it's very different from the actual policy but they all say that. it just sounds very -- this could be the shortest book tour ever if he's really softening his position on immigration. i don't think he is. >> let me ask about illegal immigration. we don't do it anymore but nbc would show those pictures from texas or arizona, somewhere on the border, they would show people, desperate people racing across when the lights were off and they would see them coming in, running across the road to try to get a ride in a truck somewhere. how do you stop that? how do you stop that?
11:38 pm
because what that is are men mostly racing across the border trying to get a job in the united states which they know will be there somewhere. somebody in chicago in a restaurant or somewhere says i got a job for you if you can get up here. how do you stop the illegal hiring? trump never mentions it. >> i wish he would. >> isn't that the heart of it? >> that's what i wish he were talking about now, plus h1 db visas plus people losing their jobs. there are only so many things we can talk about. why are we talking about softening the lives of law breakers? it's a mistake. it sounds like it's coming from consultants. >> has he lost his confidence? >> i don't think so. >> do you think he may have softened up? >> i think this is a mistake. i thought he's made other mistakes and i have given him constructive criticism when i think he makes a mistake. >> does he take it? >> but i want to answer your question. >> does he take your criticism? >> i haven't had a lot but yeah. no, he does listen to people. i'm not advising him or anything
11:39 pm
but i did write this magnificent book. but to answer your last question >> you still trust him? you trust him? >> yes. this is not the same as either hillary or obama. to compare it to what they are doing is preposterous. i don't know fe just said that. it's crazy. they are fighting deportations of rapists and murderers. hillary says she will open the border, going to amnesty everyone, quadruple the number of muslim refugees. to say there's no difference is crazy. i don't understand why he's going to these really tired talk points that both democrat and republican politicians use. >> i know why. i would guess why. >> i think it's panicking and talking to the wrong people. >> he dumped his people and got nervous, said i better try something different. along comes kellyanne conway, traditional pollster. >> i don't know who's giving him the advice but this is definitely consultant led advice and it's not good advice. what he should keep doing is what he's been doing. >> i think they work for his audience.
11:40 pm
i don't think they work for the country. >> of course it does. it works for blacks and hispanics. they want jobs, too. >> he should be going out talking about trade. richard fowler said talk about big cities. >> his issues are incredibly popular and no other politician >> they were real jobs. thank you, ann coulter. >> thank you. >> i won't say good luck with your book but thank you for coming on. up next, why is trump going after clinton's health? this is a great question. why the word stamina? i find that word an interesting -- we are not talking about livestock here. what's this stamina thing? what stamina do you need to be president? i thought it was a desk job. [ clock ticking ]
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
time. you only have so much. that's why we want to make sure you won't have to wait on hold. and you won't have to guess when we'll turn up. because after all we should fit into your life.
11:43 pm
not the other way around. she will never be able to fix the isis problem that her policies created. for one thing, she doesn't have the strength or the stamina coupled with all of the other problems that this country has.
11:44 pm
>> bizarre. welcome back to "hardball." that was donald trump last week attacking hillary clinton, now going after her strength and the key word, her stamina. this kind of attack has veered away from his past name calling and phrases like crooked hillary and unstable hillary clinton. ruth marcus writes beautifully in "the washington post" as always, it's obvious what's going on here. the strength, stamina combo is a gender age two-for, double whack at clinton for the price of one, strength, what men have and women lack, stamina. but the intimations of go all night virility. wow. you are amazing. this is for children, this show. clinton in depiction is both a weak girl and a dried up old crone. is he trying to prove women are the weaker sex but this year's olympics in rio could surely be a counter punch. for the second straight olympics american women set a record for 61, with 61 medals exceeding the previous high another world record of 58 from london in
11:45 pm
2012. had the women competed as their own country, they would have ranked fourth among all nations in the overall medal chart putting them behind, just behind u.s., china, great britain, just the women and with that it's time to bring in the roundtable. ruth marcus from "the washington post," david corn from mother jones and jennifer ruben, opinion writer from "the washington post" who wrote those beautiful lines this morning. i grabbed them, i picked up the paper, i'm drinking the coffee, the french roast, i go that had to be said. i have to give you tribute. we have been watching these beautiful pictures, these people are all physical wonders, men and women both. what do they call them, wind surfing and stuff like that but also volleyball. what do you like, court or sand? >> i like the sand. >> all this activity and everybody's in great shape and everybody's like, it's like we are germans or something.
11:46 pm
i'm sorry. that's what it sounds like. everybody looks physically fit and just like winners and the men's swimmers and women's swimmers which is now integrated. >> you might be able to say it's a great country. >> the women have strength and stamina. >> women, bodybuilding is new the last 20 or 30 years, women focusing on fitness, not just beauty and that stuff but it's interesting, this hillary thing. let's just talk completely machiavellian. trump is not winning. he's sinking. he sees the abyss which as elizabeth warren put so beautifully, he's losing to a girl. which is so mmischievous. he's going i got to get her, i got a knockout punch, i'm losing, say she's not fit. is that it? >> i think that's a piece of it. now, we have to remember that trump actually did this back during the primaries. he was on a little strength, she has no strength and stamina back then.
11:47 pm
to her. about her. now he's revived it. the thing that's new this time around is he's got his aides and allies with this ridiculous whispering, not whispering campaign, shouting campaign. >> the russian websites pick this up. >> about her health problems. >> can we agree there's no basis to this? >> not that we know of. >> trump seems to have a pattern of projecting. his own weaknesses, listen -- >> if you start attacking his health, he -- you want to play the health game -- >> when it comes to putting out information he put out a statement from a doctor that is completely ridiculous, looks fabricated and one could easily say he's two years older than hillary. >> i know. but that's tit for tat. okay. my mother had it. why are you playing tit for tat. he puts out a urologist to go after hillary clinton's brain injury. put it together. is that fox? >> this is the preposterousness of it all. it is the russians that are getting in on it.
11:48 pm
on russian websites, the russian blogs, they are pushing the same story, rooting for trump so they take super pac, they take guidance from him. >> i don't think hillary -- i hope we can shatter stupid stories like this. i think the debates will be great. in the end it will be a battle, it's an hour and a half, that's a lot of mental focus. you have to really stay sharp for an hour and a half. that's a good test. they have three of them coming up. >> if we get to three. he's shown in his speeches which are not, when they are not on the teleprompter, he seems to have something close to adhd. he can't stay focused. >> that's fair. >> we saw in the debates, can he answer the question, stay on topic and look like -- >> we will know who's got a stamina problem. the roundtable is staying with us. up next, these three tell me something i don't know. romantic moments can happen spontaneously, so why pause to take a pill?
11:49 pm
or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use, is the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. many men aren't aware their health insurance may cover cialis. contact your health plan for the latest information.
11:50 pm
got new numbers on where the race stands between hillary clinton and donald trump. check the "hardball" scoreboard. in virginia, hillary clinton has a whopping 16-point lead right now. clinton, 48, trump, 30. that's not good. libertarian gary johnson stuck at 8. not working for him yet. he has to get to 15 to get in the debates. in florida, clinton up by 15. that's not good for trump. clinton, 52, trump, 38.
11:51 pm
trump needs florida and he's not getting it. in missouri, which hasn't gone for a democrat since 1968, donald trump is up by just a single point. johnson coming in at 8 there as well. we'll be right back.
11:52 pm
11:53 pm
we are back. ruth, tell me something i don't know. you are my favorite columnist because i always agree with you. is that good? >> no, it's very disturbing. [ laughter ] so i don't know if you'll agree with this or not, but i'm thinking ahead to after the election, we think about the supreme court. everybody assumes the next president is gonna have a few nominations to make. >> but hillary's not gonna let him do it and lame duck it? >> first of all, i don't think it's going to get over with. i don't think that's going to happen. i think that probably the senate won't act. but what i want to tell you that you don't know, if you're hillary clinton, don't be so sure you'll get additional vacancies to fill after the current one. because those justices, they're not sure they're going anywhere.
11:54 pm
>> go ahead. >> in the month of july, the trump campaign spent $18 million according to the disclosures this past weekend. of the $18 million, $8 million went to the san antonio company that does its website. $461,000 went to field work. shows you what's happening in that campaign. >> one of the reasons trump is doing badly in the polls -- white voters. he's only leading by three in virginia. he can't possibly turn out enough white voters to make up for all the women he's offended, all the hispanics, all the african americans. >> we'll go through all the white people that are not going to vote for him too, which is a hell of a list. i'm not going to do it on the air, but i've heard from people who know. welcome back from our summer vacation. and thank you all. back after this. xwxexe
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
let me finish tonight with this impressive decision by governor terry mccob to bring to an end the practice in virginia of denying voting rights to citizens who have committed a felony and served their time in prison. by a louing people who have paid their debts to society return to their full rights as citizens, strikes me as one of a number of goals. dignity is important. treat a person as an outcast and you're placing a bet that he will remain so. treat someone as worthy of citizenship, and you're saying, we want you back with us, participating in the running of our government and making decisions on the kind of society we all want. another goal is justice.
11:59 pm
crime should be dealt with by the courts. the guilty verdict and the sentencing should involve prison time, not the forfeiture of your citizenship. restoring someone's voting rights is a way of saying, you paid your debt, move on. make the rest of your life the best of it. i like what the governor said in pushing his effort forward. i personally believe in the power of second chances and the dignity and worth of every human being. they're gainfully employed, shop at our grocery stores and pay taxes and i'm not content to condemn them for eternity as inferior second-class citizens. sometimes doing the right thing happens also to be the right politics. that's "hardball" for now. inferior second-class citizens. sometimes doing the right thing happens also to be the right politics. that's "hardball" for now. thank you for being with us. "all in with chris hayes" starts right now.
12:00 am
tonight on "all in" -- >> what people don't know is that obama got tremendous numbers of people out of the country. >> donald trump caught in his own immigration trap, endorsing the president's plan. >> perhaps with a lot more energy. >> trailing in the polls, cancelling speeches, why donald trump is at a perilous cross roads. plus -- >> this is not a photo op issue. >> democratic strategist james carville on disaster politics and how hillary needs to handle donald trump. then, why melania trump is threatening several defamation lawsuits. the new book donald trump is trying to top people from reading. and a look at the good, the bad and the ugly on the latest on the clinton foundation when "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york, i'm chris hayes with donald trump under new management trying to make him over as a serious candidate, we are now witnessi

266 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on