Skip to main content

tv   AM Joy  MSNBC  April 29, 2018 7:00am-9:00am PDT

7:00 am
hey, want thedone.est internet? and now, xfinity mobile is included. you can get up to five lines. you can save 400 bucks or more a year, which you can spend on a funk-tastic music video. ♪ dance party boom. ♪ simple. easy. awesome. come see how you can save $400 or more a year with xfinity mobile. plus, ask how to keep your current phone. visit your local xfinity store today. that's a wrap of this hour. i'm alex witt. stay where you are. it's time for "a.m. joy" with my friend joy reid. >> is this better than that phony washington white house correspondents dinner? is this more fun?
7:01 am
i could be up there tonight smiling like i love it. then i'm supposed to -- and, you know, you got to smile. if you don't smile, they'll say he was terrible. he couldn't take it and if you do smile, they'll say, what was he smiling about? there's no win. >> good morning and welcome to "a.m. joy." for the second year in a row, donald trump skipped the white house correspondent's dinner. his last visit there apparently wasn't enjoyable. remember those jokes barack obama told about him in 2011. but he didn't skip a beat when it came to attacking the media. instead of going to washington, d.c. to do it in a hilarious monologue, trump went to washington township, michigan, rallying his base with his usual free willing rants. perhaps it's best that trump wasn't at the dinner because he probably would have been even angier than he was in 2011. after comedian michelle wolf
7:02 am
unleashed 20 minutes of scorching riske comedy, sparing no one, mike pence, not members of trump cabinet and not the media either. prompting some criticism from trump's allies and from some in the fourth estate. here's some of that monologue, at least the safe for morning tv version. >> here we are, the white house correspondent's dinner. like a porn star says when she's about to have sex with a trump, let's get this over with. mr. president, i don't think you're very rich. like i think you might be rich in idaho but in new york you're doing fine. >> we should definitely talk about the women in the trump administration. there's kellyanne conway, man, she has the perfect last name for what she does, conway. you guys got to stop put her kellyanne conway on her shows.
7:03 am
all she does is lie. if she doesn't give her a platform she has nowhere to lie. it's like that old saying, if a tree falls in the woods how do we get kelly anannekellyanne, u tree, i'm not suggesting she gets hurt, just stuck. i like sarah. like she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye. maybe she's born with it. maybe it's lies. it's probably lies. >> joining me now, president and ceo, dana milbank of the "the washington post" and tiffany cross. maria, you were the one person who was at the dinner that is here with us today. it was a scorcher. michelle wolf spared no one. a lot of people have criticized it. i want to play -- let me play one more byte. let's just actually play the
7:04 am
second one. this is one of the things she said about reince priebus. take a listen. >> it's 2018 and i'm a woman so you cannot shut me up unless you have michael cohen wire me $130,000. michael, you can find me on convenient moe under my porn star name reince priebus. >> you saw him laughing there. he later tweeted something that was not so flattering to the event, an rx rated spectacle that started poorly and ended up in the bottom of the canyon. another victory for donald trump for not attending. trump lovers and even a large number of trump haters were miserable. what was your take? what was the read in the room? >> people were definitely uncomfortable. i've been fortunate enough to
7:05 am
attend the dinner now, this is my tenth year in a row, i have to say, every single year the comedian reflects the administration, and in this case it was uncomfortable. she was speaking truths. there was a level of accuraciness. yes, we have to be able to speak to those truths. what she said was not wrong. if we cannot use comedy to actually face those truths, it makes us -- we can be disingenuous. what i would love after all of this she book ended and said, and flint still does not have clean water. whatever's happening right now get over yourselves because policy is not being done. >> absolutely. she was very blunt and straight to the point. i want to play a couple of montage for those that didn't see it. it's on youtube, about 20 minutes long.
7:06 am
here more wolf talking about sarah huckabee sanders. this has gotten a lot of criticism including folks in the media. >> we are graced with sarah's presence tonight. i'm a little star struck. i love you as aunt liddy in the hand maid's tale. i actually like sarah. she burns facts and uses that ash to create the perfect smokey eye. maybe she's born with it, maybe it's lies. >> and one more little byte, this is michelle wolf going after ivanka trump. one of the jokes about her. >> there's also of course ivanka. she was supposed to be an advocate for women, but it turns out she's about as helpful to women as an empty box of tampons. >> i'm going to go to dana and tiffany. those jokes have gotten a lot of criticism, too personal, too mean, what is your take, dana? does this event -- i don't
7:07 am
know -- is it become too uncomfortable? >> it became too uncomfortable for me about 12 or 1 years ago and i don't participate in this. look, yes, it was vulgar and maria's right it reflects the vulgarity of our time. how much better would this be for our profession if we just stopped doing this, chuck the comedian, you know what? instead read out the names of all the journalists who died around the world doing their jobs, raise money for the first amendment, do something we can be proud of and feel honorable about. i don't doubt that it's legitimate. stephen colbert got grief when he mocked george w. bush. i don't see why we as journalists have to validate that and participate in that. let's make this about what it should be and that is the first amendment and the free press. >> tiffany, i've been to this dinner. i went a few years when
7:08 am
president obama was in office and there was, you know, the one year that really felt uncomfortable for me when baltimore was happening while we were in the room in our ballgames, baltimoball gowns. being in the room you cover, there's a lot that's uncomfortable. what people are zeroing in on is not so much that but that a lot of journalists felt it was really unfair particularly to sarah huckabee sanders, with whom they work, you know -- there is a working relationship there between the press and sarah huckabee sanders. i don't remember who it was that actually tweeted that they were amazed they gave her credit for not walking out. what is your take? >> it's a lot of unfairness to the american people when sarah huckabee sanders stands at that podium every day and spits out lies. i'll sail to the people who were uncomfortable in the room and people watching at home and they were uncomfortable. if you were made to feel uncomfortable by michelle wolf making fun of the actual words that the president had said and
7:09 am
actual things that people in this administration have done but you weren't uncomfortable by the president calling nazis good people, you weren't uncomfortable by the president talking about grabbing women by their private parts, you weren't uncomfortable by the president putting our very democracy in danger, then you need to check your hypocrisy and your privilege. michelle wolf was certainly a bit krous, the president is crass in what he tweets out. it would be a great opportunity to highlight the work that journalists have done. i've heard a lot of people talking about how the dinner has changed now. it became -- the biggest change that occurred during this dinner is the obama administration. this dinner used to be about the media and it certainly has grown and had a little bit of hollywood flare added to it. during the obama administration it became a d.c. oscar event. there were more ceos and celebrities in the room than
7:10 am
they were people who actually covered the white house. the tonedown version of this dinner has taken shape to what it used to be in terms of the attendees but certainly the language and what michelle wolf said is reflective of the times we live in and i finds it laughable that we're sitting here z-ie secretarying what she said and pointing to her as though she's the problem and not the administration itself and certainly not this president who if you look at his twitter feed and don't clutch your pearls but here what she said and you're having this gasp and shock at her language, it just seems very ridiculous and hypocritical to me. >> to that very point, donald trump called the famous grab them by the -- we won't say it -- tape the "access hollywood" tape locker room talk and he's -- he's not backed down from calling maxine waters low iq or things like that. if that is the times, then why do you suppose people, including people in the media are so
7:11 am
defensive of this administration? >> i don't think the issue is being defensive of this administration. pretty much everybody on this panel agrees on the awfulness, the coarseness, the nastiness and abuse of president trump and the people who work for him. i'm 100% with dana, i have to say, that this dinner at this point really needs to be about celebrating the importance of press freedom to free and democratic or public and that distractions from that obligations to the extent that a dinner has an obligation, any distraction frz that are actually not very helpful and it's hard for any comedian in this setting to -- comedians are obviously somewhat offensive by nature and i'm very happy that
7:12 am
comedians are free to make fun of people in power. the point is, the very fact that we're having this discussion instead of talking more about trump's rant out in michigan and the very things about him that are wrong suggests that we just got to rethink -- i haven't vent over the years, the organizers of this dinner have to think what it's about in the trump era. >> to give the viewers an update. donald trump tweeted to your point about michigan, while washington, michigan is where he was was a big success, washington, d.c. just didn't work. everyone is talking about the fact that the white house correspondents dinner was a very big, boring, bust. he's crit siding it but also suggesting a comedian for next year. sean spicer called the evening a disgrace, but to the point, richard, it's about the media. michelle wolf did not spare the media either. there's a flipside to this as
7:13 am
much as donald trump is the object of our fixation, a lot of the ways he's also the product of our way of doing business. >> she pointed that out. the reason you provided him all this air time you helped create this. i have to say the fact that donald trump chose not to go to the dinner and instead he sent a woman, sarah huckabee sanders to take the brunt of all the jokes, everybody knew that it was going to get uncomfortable, he decided that he wasn't going to be put in that position and instead he deployed his yes woman. that speaks volumes to the administration and how they conduct himself and how they put these individuals continuously in vulnerable positions when he doesn't want to take -- >> that's true. here is that byte that we were just talking about, michelle wolf digging the media. >> you guys are obsessed with trump. did you used to date him, because you pretend like you
7:14 am
hate him but i think you love him? i think what no one in this room wants to admit is that trump has helped all of you. you couldn't sell steaks or vodka or college or ties or eric, but he has helped you. he's helped you sell your papers and your books and your tv. you helped create this monster and now you're profiting off of him. >> first, tiffany and then dana, it's hard to argue against that, isn't it? >> absolutely. when you look back at 2016, this president got the most coverage and he still winds up about it and complains about it but it was a 24-hour trump cable network. i don't believe the cable networks were celebratory of him by any means. he was a car accident that you couldn't look away from. at that time i think many of the
7:15 am
executives cared morabout ratings than they did about presenting actual facts and showing a more bipartisan approach to the important issues that were surrounding the presidential election. certainly, he has been a very good help to people who have written books and like she said to help sell papers and give cable network news a spike in their rating. she hit that nail on the head. she was an equal opportunity offender. she talked about the president's administration, she talked about press and democrats and you don't see members of the media this morning tweeting about how unfair she was or how inappropriate her remarks were, they took it on the chin and, you know, sat through the response and i thought she had some poignant points. >> really, quickly, dana, the codependence of trump and the media is a real thing. it's not a joke, it's real. >> it's absolutely outrageous and yes, we in the media created
7:16 am
donald trump and he sustains us. he is unbroken our business model. he read the media environment perfectly in terms of social media, cable news, how to beat us, how to get out there and he played it brilliantly and he continues to. >> indeed. >> the best joke may have been about the media. >> indeed. i'm keeping all of these great guests. coming up, saturday night was right for fighting, trump versus comey next. n looking forward to this all week, but how will his denture cope with... a steak. luckily for brad, this isn't a worry because he's discovered super poligrip. it holds his denture tight and helps give him 65% more chewing power. leaving brad to dig in and enjoy the tastiest of t-bones. super poligrip, helping you enjoy the foods you love.
7:17 am
>> tech: don't wait for a chip like this to crack your whole windshield. with safelite's exclusive resin, you get a strong repair that you can trust. plus, with most insurance a safelite repair is no cost to you. >> customer: really?! >> singers: safelite repair, safelite replace. vojimmy (shouting): james!as been jimmy's longest. he's survived record rain and a supplier that went belly up. so while he's proud to have helped put a roof over the heads of hundreds of families, he's most proud of the one he's kept over his own. brand vo: get the most out of your money, whether you're using quickbooks smart invoicing to get paid twice as fast or automatically tracking your mileage. smarter business tools for the world's hardest workers. quickbooks. backing you.
7:18 am
these are the specialists we're proud to call our own. experts from all over the world, working closely together to deliver truly personalized cancer care. expert medicine works here. learn more at cancercenter.com roundup for lawns has arrived to put unwelcome lawn weeds to rest. so draw the line. roundup for lawns is formulated to kill lawn weeds to the root without harming a single blade of grass. roundup, trusted for over forty years.
7:19 am
show me the billboard music awards. the billboard music awards knows how to party. [ cheering ] what up, dog? show me top artist. unbelieveable. i've got my whole family up here. look at my dad looking all sharp. with just the sound of your voice, xfinity x1 gives you a front row seat to the billboard music awards, including throwback clips from some of your favorite artists. the 2018 billboard music awards, sunday, may 20th. only on nbc.
7:20 am
and what about -- hey, and what about comey? did you watch him on the interviews? comey's a liar and a leaker. you know, you know, i did you a great favor when you fired this guy. >> wow. donald trump is still ranting and raving about james comey and all the tea he spilled in his latest tell all memoir. it was just one of the topics that trump returns to again and again to fire up his base last night in michigan. we're joined by natasha bergeron. donald trump had a lot to say, as a matter of fact, about james comey but also about russia. let's do cut four from my producers. this is donald trump talking about the house intelligence committ committee's report on collusion.
7:21 am
>> i want to thank the house intelligence committee, okay, russian collusion, you know, i guarantee you, i'm tougher on russia, nobody ever thought. the only collusion is that the democrats colluded with the russians and the democrats colluded with lots of other people, take a look at the intelligence agencies. >> okay. james comey had his say this morning on "meet the press" and here he is giving his take on that very same house intelligence committee report. >> i'd have serious doubts about his credibility. >> the president of the united states? >> yes, whether he were under oath or not? >> correct. sometimes they can tell the truth when they realize the consequences of not telling the truth in an interview or in the grand jury would be dire, you'd have to go in with a healthy sense that he might lie to you. this strikes me as a political document.
7:22 am
>> did the house intelligence committee at all serve a good investigative purpose during all of this in your observations? >> not that i can see. >> just got too politicized? >> and it wrecked the committee and damaged relationship between the fisa court and the intelligence communication. >> given the fact that james comey is now free to speak, what are white house insiders feeling about donald trump attacking him on the campaign trail in a way that comey gets to respond too? >> well, it's not entirely surprising. i mean, we saw that free willing "fox and friends" interview that the president did last week and his aides were mortified by that. that was an interview that many people around the president did not want him to do. it's -- it's not exactly out of character for the president to be attacking james comey. he's been doing it for well over a year now, calling him a liar and leaker, but now that james comey has this platform where he can go out and pushback against the president's claims against him, it's going to be more
7:23 am
difficult for the president to have any credibility when it comes to going up against james comey because whereas people have questioned comey's judgment, perhaps, in the way he handled the clinton investigation and not disclosing the fact that donald trump's campaign was under investigation during the election, they never questioned his underlying integrity -- the only person that's accused james comey of being a liar is donald trump and of course we don't really know what trump is saying here. he has said that james comey leaked classified memos but at the same time he said that those memos are fake and james comey's a liar, so which one is it? are they classified or not true? so this is something that the president is really going up against someone with a lot of credibility and his new lawyer, rudy giuliani, knows that. rudy giuliani went into an interview with mueller or a meeting with mueller last week to try to gauge the extent to which the special counsel's team feels like james comey is more
7:24 am
credible than the president and they're going to essentially base whether or not they allow the president to sit down with mueller on the basis of whether or not they think that the special counsel's office placed more weight in what james comey says about obstruction or collusion than what the president says and that's saying something. >> i'm sure that donald trump's lawyers probably don't like the idea that he's talking so much about the case but he's giving more and more detail that could wind up coming back to haunt him in front of mueller's grand jury. here he is on the stump last night talking about ms. veselnitskaya, the russian lawyer, who's now come out and admitted that she is a kremlin informant. >> have you heard about the lawyer? for years she was like i know nothing and now all of a sudden she supposedly is involved in government? you know why? if she did that, because, putin and the group said, you know this trump is killing us, why
7:25 am
don't you say you're involved with government so that we can go and make their life in the united states even more chaotic. >> that will help donald trump in terms of his base having a narrative to tweet out and to go forward with. i'm not sure how it's helpful to him materially. >> this whole business potentially hurts him a lot in the case. he is doing what autocratic leaders do all the time, which is to throw out junk that's not real information to try to sew conspiracy theories in order to just confuse the whole story. alexander hamilton, a long time ago warned against leaders who simply ride the whirlwind after sewing confusion. this can only hurt him in his case because if there are ever obstruction of justice charges against donald trump one of the
7:26 am
most important parts of making the case for obstruction is the mind of the person, what do they intend and the more trump attacks james comey in this way, the more trump is making the case that he didn't fire james comey for being incompetence, he fired him because he was worried about the russia investigation. so this is creating a narrative for him with the minority of americans who support him, but it's not helping his case at all and i think that's why his own aides are so uncomfortable with a lot of this. >> can i make a quick point? in the rally last night trump implied that the lawyer was taking orders from vladimir putin so that's not really going to help his case either. >> absolutely. at the same time, we have now both james comey and donald trump putting so much of the record on the record publicly that i wonder how much of his
7:27 am
hair mueller might be tearing out at this point. here is james comey talking about michael flynn, one of the early things that he apparently did wrong, the canary in the coal mine of not going easy on flynn which is what he said donald trump asked him to do. here is james comey. >> he says can you lay off mike flynn. why didn't you tell him that was inappropriate? >> it's a great question. i've asked myself that a bunch of times. i think because i was so -- first shocked and so focused on trying to remember his exact words and standing there alone in the oval office, it didn't occur to me at the time. you got to remember the atmosphere. he had just kicked out my boss who had tried to linger the attorney general and still been booted out of the oval office so you have to realize that if he didn't know he was doing something he shouldn't do, why was he kicking out the leadership including my boss. >> these are not new details. it's in the book. there's a lot now on the record from comey and trump.
7:28 am
>> mueller is having a hard time making sure that all these narratives don't go out. what we witnessed with trump talking about this whole idea that comey is not telling the truth, that it's basically all allegations is that we have to remember that he actually speaks to closed circuit tv. so his audience is only listening to facebook platform and basically retweeting whatever they're saying, they wake up and listen to fox news and get clips of the president. we may be saying this is actually going to sink him, his base is only listening to his trouble and fox news. how do we start penetrating those conversations so they are part of the american narrative is dangerous. what we're seeing is not constitutional, we're putting the in danger the white house itself. >> thank you. up next, trump supporters think he should get the noble
7:29 am
peace prize. more on that. for all the noses that stuff up around pets. there's flonase sensimist. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
7:30 am
sit's red lobster's news create your own shrimp trios. pick 3 of 9 craveable creations for just $15.99. you can enjoy the classics you love, along with new creations like savory crab-topped shrimp, decadent parmesan truffle shrimp scampi, and creamy shrimp and lobster pasta. your perfect shrimp plate is just waiting to be discovered. but shrimp trios won't last, so get to red lobster today. and get your red lobster fix with our weekday lunch starting at $7.99.
7:31 am
- anncr: as you grow older, -your brain naturally begins to change which may cause trouble with recall. - learning from him is great... when i can keep up! - anncr: thankfully, prevagen helps your brain and improves memory. - dad's got all the answers. - anncr: prevagen is now the number-one-selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. - she outsmarts me every single time. - checkmate! you wanna play again? - anncr: prevagen. healthier brain. better life. we need to help more tocalifornians get ahead.d, that's why antonio villaraigosa brought both parties together to balance the state budget with record investments in public schools... and new career training programs. as mayor of la, he brought police and residents together
7:32 am
to get illegal guns off the streets and keep kids out of gangs, and on the right path. that's antonio villaraigosa. a governor for all of california. decades old enemies take historic steps to try toend their conflict while donald trump tries to take the credit. stay with us. and the safey for "most parallel parallel parking job" goes to...
7:33 am
[ drum roll ] ...emily lapier from ames, iowa. this is emily's third nomination and first win. um...so, just...wow! um, first of all, to my fellow nominees, it is an honor sharing the road with you. and of course, to the progressive snapshot app for giving good drivers the discounts -- no, i have to say it -- for giving good drivers the discounts they deserve. safe driving! for giving good drivers the discounts they deserve. but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. what's in your wallet?
7:34 am
7:35 am
7:36 am
i had one of the fake news groups this morning -- they were saying, what do you think president trump had to do with
7:37 am
it? i'll tell you what, how about everything. >> this week donald trump applauded the historic meeting between south korean president moon jae-in and north korea's kim jong-un. as trump gears up for his own one-on-one with the north korean dictator, but with these two countries taking historic steps toward peace, trump is doing what you might expect, he's taking the credit. good morning to both of you. let me play for both of you a little bit of last night's just to give you the atmosphere that we're working here. donald trump was in washington, michigan, rallying his base, and here is how the crowd responded to him and how they feel about his workings in the -- on the korean peninsula. >> nobel! >> that's very nice, thank you.
7:38 am
that's very nice. nobel. i just want to get the job done. >> wow. joe, are you ready to preaward donald trump the nobel peace prize for in his mind, making all of the talks between north and south korea possible? >> there's two parts to this, joy, one is this is classic nars six that he's responsible for everything that's happening. i think the north and the south koreans understand donald trump very well. they have studied him very closely. they are maneuvering him into position to make a deal that they want. i think the koreans are driving this process, both of them, kim and president moon, who's done a brilliant job so far in moving trump into his position. did his tweets and threats of sanctions play a role, yes, but not the everything role that he has. but here's the rub, it's actually in our interest to have
7:39 am
donald trump think about getting a nobel peace prize for, this to match even barack obama's nobel peace prize. you want to dangle a shiny object in front of this president to get him to do something he should be willing to do in the interest of the nation. it's in our interest to encourage this idea that he could get a prize, get a reward for peace, not for war. >> that's an interesting take. because you have john bolton out essentially also not only himself giving credit to donald trump for the warming or the thaw between north and south korea. but hey, everybody is saying this. >> we will be when we do sit down, it's something that the president has thought a good deal about already and i think people around the world have already given him credit for establishing the preconditions for this to happen in the first place. president moon of south korea, for example, has been very
7:40 am
clear. >> we don't know who the people arnt world that john bolton is talking about, but we do know that donald trump according to the "the washington post" in a january 20 piece, in a january 4 phone call, trump asked south korean president moon to publicly give him the credit for creating the environment for the talks, that trump actually asked to be given the credit and so does this strike you as president moon and maybe other leaders around the world doing that sort of maintenance of trump, stroking him and giving him credit so he'll be helpful and not harmful to the process? >> sure. let's give donald trump credit for bringing us to the brink of nuclear war and having that threat loom over us in a way that it hasn't in the last 50 years. so that's the environment that donald trump helped create with his tweets directly at kim jong-un in his complete derision of any type of negotiation, so accidently, donald trump stumbled into what diplomats
7:41 am
often do is the threat of military intervention to create the type of environment we see in south korea today. here's where we can't give trump or his administration credit, we do not even have an ambassador in south korea right now. we're hearing everything secondhand through the south korean translators. so when you see a tweet go out from north korea and south korea tell us it means, north korea has made a commitment to denuclearizing, they've made a commitment to stop missile testi testing. the north koreans said they no longer need to do missile tests because they're ready with a nuclear weapon. we're on our back foot here as the united states and as diplomats because we are reliant entirely upon other people for information about what's really happening on the korean peninsula. >> joe, i think there's something that for a lot of people strikes as a bit unfair, when you have, you know, president moon who's continuing -- there's a sunshine
7:42 am
policy that's been attempting to get going for a long time between north and south korea. you have the korean leadership themselves, particularly president moon doing a lot of really hard work here and the idea that the american president who is essentially withdrawn the united states from world leadership wants to be the one to get the credit for the work that these guys are doing on their own. it seems offensive to be honest that these guys can't get credit for their own work. you made an interesting point about the care and feeding of donald trump. that maybe he doesn't have to do any work, they can just give him credit to go along. this is donald trump on friday in a joint press conference with angela merkel, a lot of people who think she's the real leader of the free world, talking about the olympics and giving himself for that as well. >> i think president moon of south korea was very generous in saying that we helped make the olympics a great success because of the fact that as you know there was a tremendous animosity, tremendous problem
7:43 am
going on and all of a sudden people started buying tickets because whole different feeling when north said we'd love to go to the olympics. >> i mean, joe, people were going to go to the olympics regardless of donald trump. donald trump is not why people went to the olympics because -- is president moon here just handling him by saying, sure, mr. president, if you want to say that the people bought tickets because of you, fine. >> he's handling him brilliantly, you know. donald trump says that we got played in the past. they played the u.s. like a fiddle. well they're playing some beautiful music on donald trump right now. president moon deserves a lot of credit and frankly he's underappreciated here what he's been able to do. there's a saying in washington, there's no end to what you can get done if you don't mind who gets the credit. that's the saying in seoul as well and president moon is doing that. he arranged for the resolution at the united nations for calling for an olympic truce, he
7:44 am
made the offer to north korea to get them to come, kim did come and then moon arranges this joint event at the olympics that set the stage for everything, frankly that's happened since then and then he gives credit to president trump, to bring him in, to draw him in to the process and now the idea of a peace prize, that there could be a grand big bargain is irresistible to donald trump and that's what president moon wants and why is he doing this? because he sees the united states as an equal threat to north korea. remember, the president and others like lindsey graham had been threatening to have a war over there, a war that would destroy south korea. now the two koreas are united in trying to prevent that war and that's the reason we're making rapid progress. a long way to go but some very meaningful steps over the last couple weeks particularly at this summit. >> excellent point. president moon is doing this at the same time that donald trump
7:45 am
is undermining the idea that any deal that was struck would even last, because of what he's saying about iran and that deal, which he's threatening to tear up. so president moon is acting in an environment where donald trump is actually putting information on the table that could be hurtful to getting kim jong-un to come to the table. here's donald trump last night talking about the iran deal. >> again, whatever happens happens. i may go in, it may not work out. i leave. i'm not going to be a john kerry who makes that horrible iran deal. horrible. one of the worst deals -- how do you make a deal like that? >> if president moon can make a deal with north korea in that environment where the idea of a deal being honored by the united states is being undermined by the american president, should we be talking about president moon being the one who should get a nobel peace prize?
7:46 am
>> president moon is the adult here in this scenario where you have two toddlers that need to be pacified so the adults can move on in the world. president moon has made the effort to bring about peace. donald trump wants the credit and kim jong-un wants a photo, wants to be seen with equal to the other world leaders. the challenge here that some people can say and certainly the people at the rally feel that the united states has done a great deal without having to risk anything is the reality is the united states is no longer a consideration as one of the adults in the room, that people can move forward without us being part of the scene, without us being involved. you already have donald trump having a history of pulling himself out of business deals, pulling himself out of now potentially the iran deal. he pulled the united states out of any -- any kind of trade deal in the east asia and now wants back in, but the rest of the world has moved on. >> great discussion. thank you both.
7:47 am
have a wonderful rest of your day. >> thank you. >> thank you very much. coming up in our next hour, lawrence o'donnell and maxine waters. so much more "a.m. joy" after the break. these friends were on a trip when their windshield got chipped. so they scheduled at safelite.com. they didn't have to change their plans or worry about a thing. i'll see you all in a little bit. and i fixed it right away with a strong repair they can trust. plus, with most insurance a safelite repair is no cost to you. >> customer: really?! >> tech: being there whenever you need us that's another safelite advantage. >> singers: safelite repair, safelite replace.
7:48 am
7:49 am
7:50 am
brbut how will his dentured to thicope with... a steak. luckily for brad, this isn't a worry because he's discovered super poligrip. it holds his denture tight and helps give him 65% more chewing power. leaving brad to dig in and enjoy the tastiest of t-bones. super poligrip, helping you enjoy the foods you love.
7:51 am
service following behind her. okay. they're going around to the back. you can see the media rung behi -- running behind me here to chase the van. >> the guy is quick. i'm looking, wow, orange pants, he's out numbers now by all of the people racing around the back him i'm glad you have not taken out on your live shot. >> that scene from the first days of the hillary clinton 2016 campaign, many of those were from the 2016 campaign, many would continue to follow hillary clinton for another 574 days. few, if any, of the traveling press core covered her more extensively who covered the both press campaigns, the years before and after, amounting to
7:52 am
ten years on the hillary beat. writer at large, amy chozick, her back is "chasing hillary, ten years, two presidential campaign, and one intact glass ceiling. i was chasing here in new hampshire. i'm at a live shot. as soon as someone said we see her. everyone ran. >> that fevered coverage of hillary clinton was a part of the early story, right? >> absolutely. >> what do you make of that fever? >> well, it's interesting to contrast that later in the race when the media became obsessed with trump and everything trump said. we were live streaming his speeches. at hillary clinton, people would be counting her head nods. it was fascinating. i thought this was the woman that captured the world's imagination, now she can hardly get her speeches to register with trump transfixing the
7:53 am
media. >> interesting, we talk about donald trump's love/hate need anger with the "time's" it's toxic. he loves the time's but hates them for not giving him positive respect. hillary clinton has a longer all negative relationship in a lot of ways in the new york "time's" there is is a peel in hillary's book, she says -- did you experience that as a "time's" reporter? >> i was naive in 2013. i thought i am going to cover potentially the first woman president for the record. i had no idea the decades long battle between the clinton and the new york "time's" i was
7:54 am
into. this went back to the white water investigation, which the clintons thought was baseless, they lost money on a failed land deal. it went on from there. during 2008 the clintons felt the paper gave a pass to obama, were harder on her. the tensions were passed along and i'd say bubbled over in that first u.n. press conference, where she had to confront an angry press core about her e-mail story and the "time's" broke. >> we didn't do the e-mail story here for a lot of reasons, if you do a word cloud, e-mails is the biggest thing. it's the biggest thing when i was on the trail people say it caused them to distrust her. it was an obsession. you write why it became a major narrative. we did all hyperventilate over her e-mails. but hillary and her campaign never had a strategy to change the vf. by my tally, brooklyn turned
7:55 am
town 47 of my interview requests, including to discuss hillary's economic proposals, immigration, her work at the children's defense fund, and her years as a working mother in arkansas. just a caveat, full disclosure, she turned down all the of the show's attempts to get her on. i interviewed her after. she was turning down everyone. how does that in and of itself make her e-mail servary valid story? >> well, i think we have to fill the void somehow. something has to fill the void. there was a lot of talk of ignoreing her policy. i wish i would have had extensive interview of her economic policy. we could have put that on the front page. it was difficult. i don't want to blame her campaign on her entirely. there was a voracious appetite for these stories. don't get me wrong. i think the leading candidate investigated by the fbi is a leading story the fact that there is everything there is blame on the media, also, how do
7:56 am
you change the narrative? >> is the media defensive, when you say the media played a role in her losing. is the media too defensive about that? should they admit some blame? >> i think we're definitely, for an industry that thrives on investigation, we are not great on turning that microscope on ourselves, i think major news events from the iraq war, leading up to the iraq war, i don't think we're great at interspec interspection. my colleagues have done an incredible job. it's backwards looking at the investigation. i had the luxury of going on a book leave and procession how the media played into this monumental historic election. >> last week, you write very bluntly how the role of gender played in the hatred of hillary clinton. what is your take away from that? >> i would travel the country, voters say i would like to see a woman president. just not "that" womb.
7:57 am
i had a lot of time to think about that woman. they would stay e-mails and the sexist attacks. do we all become that woman when we strive too hard, climb too high, get a little ambitious, do we become that woman? it stayed with me. >> we will see if in 2020, they become that woman. >> thanks for having me. >> up next the great lawrence o'donnell joins me live. you do not want to miss it. just listen. (vo) there's so much we want to show her. we needed a car that would last long enough to see it all. (avo) subaru outback. ninety eight percent are still on the road after 10 years. come on mom, let's go!
7:58 am
7:59 am
8:00 am
8:01 am
. >> i'm obviously very loyal to mr. trump. i think he will not be a good president. he will be a great president. significantly, mr. president trump has a significant number of people in that circle of extremely loyal people. >> he does. >> we will do what is necessary to protect him and the office of the presidency. >> welcome back to "am joy." above all else, donald trump prizes loyalty. which is exactly what michael cohen is all about. trump long time fixer/attorney who joined the trump organization ten years ago once said about trump, quote, i'm the guy that would take a bullet for the president well that symbolic bullet has certainly arrived as cohen finds himself in a lawsuit with a porn star he paid off to keep quiet about her sexual
8:02 am
relationship with trump and that means cohen is in the orbit of trump's attention, a place he'sped to be for years. trump's -- cohen's dream to become trump's right-hand man is detailed in the wall street jourp am. it's reported after he headed to the white house without michael cohen. he told him, boss, i miss you so much. i wish i was down there with you. it's really hard for me to be here. joining me now to discuss is the great lawrence o'donnell host of "the last word." hey there, lauren. >> good morning. cohen was named after, this is probably accident am. probably accident am. but i think if your name is cohen and you are born around the time michael cohen is born, michael is a big decision for a name. america had a couple of really famous, really bad jewish gangsters and mickey cohen was one of them. mickey cohen was bugsy siegl's
8:03 am
murderer guy in los angeles. mickey cohen was born in brooklyn and grew up in los angeles and became a las vegas, los angeles gangster, thug, murderer, pure bad guy. and so this is something i think when michael cohen is born, was there any pause over that first name? was there any pause? what it seems to have done is infuse young michael cohen with a mickey cohen keep of ambition. >> yeah. >> we want him to grow up to be mickey cohen. so he went through cooley law school and became, tried to become donald trump's mickey cohen. >> it's interesting you say that the "wall street journal" piece is epic, by the way. it talks about him bragging to friends, sort of making himself sounds like he was mobbed up, even though people didn't believe him. he operates like she that guy. there is a way donald trump treats him. it's more fredo than anything
8:04 am
else, he treats him cold. this is one of the pieces from that "wall street journal" article. it says after saying he'd attends cohen's son's bar mitzvah in 2012, mr. trump was late. and the blessings were delayed, according to an attendee. he told a guest he hadn't planned to come. he relented after cohen called him, begging him to appear the guest laughed because everyone knew it was very realistic. >> i know some of the sources in the "wall street journal" articles who i have spoken to privately about this and so all that character stuff i had already heard about and, but you don't have to know any of that, you have to watch the way donald trump literally treats everybody. so the story is all about how broken hearted michael cohen was, that he wasn't the white house chief of staff. >> right. >> okay. now watch how donald trump treated the white house chief of staff. >> good point. >> watch how he treated the chief of staff tapped next and the secretary of state. he treats them all the way
8:05 am
michael cohen is described as being treated in the "wall street journal" piece. >> he's continued to treat them. you are right. donald trump was on "fox and friends" a sort of epic interview on thursday. here's how he kind of minimized michael cohen. . >> only took out supposedly a home-equity loan on his own house and gave $130,000 to stormy daniels and saying a tiny, tiny fraction of my legal work. >> that means a tiny fraction of what we seized from his house is covered by attorney-client privilege. >> listen, i had a lot of fun with this interview, the night it happened on my show. i just to for the record get this in here.
8:06 am
great credit to steve deucey for asking that question the interesting thing about this interview, which was very softball. >> right is there even within the softball context, they were asking good questions, why did he take the fifth? that's a good question. no one else was going to get a chance to ask that question. so they had a bunch of good questions in this thing, that gave us this material. what donald trump didn't real size what all of his lawyers have been telling. whenever you do interview, anything public that has anything to do with these cases, there are going to be landmines all around you, you won't know what they are. >> right. >> they don't say this part. you won't know what they are, you are unbelievably stupid and you have gained nothing from your lifetime as a litigant as both a plaintiff and a defendant, suing, being sued for fraud and being found coupleable for fraud at trump university. have you learned nothing. when he said that thing that he does a tiny apt of my legal work which is true, michael cohen has never appeared in a donald trump lawsuit ever. he has never filed an appearance
8:07 am
in court for donald trump, who has been in court cases his whole life. what he did as everyone knows is give this incredible gift to the prosecutors in new york city who immediately typed that quote into their communication with the judge that morning about why there really is no attorney-client privilege or not much of an attorney-client privilege to worry about in this evidence we are looking at. because his big client just said, what he does next to nothing for me. >> he is the other candidate, you interviewed michael avenotti a lot. we interviewed him on this show. >> michael avenotti is becoming my co-host. i got to say. and we don't even, he's not even scheduled to be on and suddenly this stormy case storms up, whether it's in the michael cohen context or the donald trump context and we call him and comes in one week when he can. >> donald trump hems his case, too. this is avenotti on thursday.
8:08 am
>> i think the president should appear on "fox and friends" every morning. that's what i think. i thought it was exception am for our case. i thought it was disastrous for him. i think there is no question it implicates him. i do not believe there is anyway you can reconcile what the president said on "fox and friends" with his statements on air force one with the prior statements of michael cohen. those are all irreconcilable. >> why is donald trump helping mike am avenotti and hurting michael cohen when michael cohen could, in near e theory, testify against him? >> because donald trump does not know how to help himself. he has no idea how to do that. so because he's this bluster, you know, talk addict. he is addicted to hearing himself talk. that's the kind of person who will constantly get himself in trouble in these kind of things and of course the white house. of course, after the world agreed, this was a disastrous appearance by donald trump. i mean, even fox news did not try to pretend.
8:09 am
you saw it on their faces. >> their face, oh my goodness. >> they couldn't pretend while it was happening this was a good thing, in fact, rupert murdock obviously called the control room and said end this before we end the presidency on fox news, as you know, we know this business. if you had the president on right now and your director thought, we're still going to the commercial. someone would tell him, we're not going to the commercial. literally the presidents of networks would get involved on the phone saying, no, no, no, keep this going. >> absolutely. >> so to shut down the president required rupert murdock intervention, which i'm sure occurred in this thing. so, of course the white house and kelly anne conway have to say, oh, it was great. we do it every month. that's, of course, their own review of how great it was. >> you know, it's interesting, because it seems that everyone around donald trump, including his attorneys have a hard time managing him. the people that seem to have an easy time managing him, have
8:10 am
figured him out are world leaders. emanuel macron hand shakes him, pre tends to be his best friend, moon jae-in i think is brilliantly managing donald trump makes it seem he is receiving a world peace prize for kim jong-un's work. >> call you do is flatter him, that's all you have to do. then you get whatever you want and putin taught this to the world because putin early in the campaign said something admirable about him. she's mart, some kind of thing with that. donald trump ran with that and everyone thought, oh, okay, so this is how you do it him now they hoped he wouldn't become the president of the united states. now you are the president of france, you are stuck with this guy. are you trying to hold the iran deal together. because you care about the world and world peace and oh, by the way the guy that destroys the iran deal does not get a nobel peace prize, let's put that out
8:11 am
of the question. so i watch macron, i think the world is lucky that there are adults like that, who do not indulge in their personal feelings for what they are experiencing of the person donald trump. >> yeah. >> and they continue to conduct themselves and do their jobs the right way. by the way, it's good the united states senate has those people, too the house of representatives has those people, in both parties, who continue to go forward and realize he's the president of the united states, yes, i'm going to go to the meeting about guns in the white house, because there is a billionth of 1% chance something might come of. that you remember democratic senators got criticized for going into that white house to talk to presidentsent guns. they were doing exactly the same thing emanuel macron was doing with the same kind of hope. macron hopes something might happen. he knows the like lihood is the madman will choose the right thing. >> they were calling the congress woman nancy pelosi and
8:12 am
senator chuck scheduumer. they played the kim jong-un take. it's a visceral physical response to praise and to the possibility of topping barack obama or getting prizes. this is it, him talking about the korea summit. crowd -- nobel nobel nobel! >> that's very nice. thank you. that's very nice. nobel! i just want to get the job done. >> no, no, no, everyone see that, that is what he needs. >> that adulation is the need. is that the way to manage donald trump? >> i personally will nominate him for the nobel prize if he preserves the iran deal and korea is de-nuclearized.
8:13 am
if both those things happen,ly nominate him for the nobel prize. i will not nominate him for the nobody emprize if he destroys the iran deal. if they have an opposite prize, he will get that. >> i have to do a quick pivot here. everyone is talking about the united states correspondence dinner. you and i watched after the fact. here is a point of criticism by michelle wolf of our production. take a listen. >> yes. >> you guys are obsessed with trump. did you used to date him? because you pretend like you hate him but i think you love him. i think what no one in this room wants to admit is that trump has helped all of you. he couldn't sell steaks or vodka or water or college or ties or eric, but he has helped you. he's helped you sell your papers and your books and your tvs. you helped create this monster.
8:14 am
now you are profiting off of him. >> there. >> the best and most important line of the night. in a lot of the rest of it is jokes and some of it has import. some of it doesn't. that was -- especially when it's a dinner that is about the press, about the press celebrating itself. it's about the press congratulating itself. particularly the white house press core congratulating itself. which i have to say, if you were to look at the history of the white house press core. it has less to congratulate itself for now than ever because it subjects itself to these ridiculous white house press briefings that are the stuff out of a totalitarian regime, with a ridiculous person standing up there, no matter who it is, the woman or the man or the junior man, it doesn't matter who it is who is standing up there, lying non-stop through every moment of it and that's what the white house press core function has
8:15 am
become. to become the props in that kind of totalitarian regime's theater. and so there is less to celebrate than ever. i think they have to reconsider the entire thing. is there something going on here that is worth celebrating? and if -- by the way, there is a lot of good in that dinner that no one ever pays attention to. >> that i certainly didn't pay attention to last night. >> yes. >> i had no interest at all. then i saw the jokes cut to commercial. so i went on cspan.org and watched just the comedian and you know, but there is all these journalism awards to young people that are important that they're doing in that event. but they would need a room just a little bicker than this for the good stuff they do and the rest of it is pure show business. they've created a show business event. they've tried to get 2,000 people into a hotel ballroom. they've used movie stars to do that when they could. they couldn't do that anymore.
8:16 am
hollywood doesn't care about this event because of trump. the white house correspondent's association, created a show business event. they cannot complain when they get show business at the show business event. and the show business event has become modelled on the show business roast if they get roasted, they cannot complain about that. >> there you go. i know how to get trump to go next year. kanye's performance. kanye west. lawrence o'donnell, you guys already watched "the last word" or you better. >> 10:00 p.m. >> on monday through friday. next your moment with maxine. stay with us.
8:17 am
8:18 am
8:19 am
xfinity x1 customers can vote, simply by saying, "vote for the voice." i'm gonna vote for... unless, kelly clarkson, you're a coach, because, you know, that wouldn't be fair. [ whispering ] whatever. which artist will you vote for? vote for... ok, still know it's you. i just wanna vote! cast your vote during every live show. simply say, "vote for the voice" or your favorite artist's name into your x1 voice remote. come on!
8:20 am
which have to keep the house, because if you listen to maxine waters -- she goes around saying, we will impeach him. we will impeach him. the people said, but he hasn't done anything wrong. oh, that doesn't matter. we will impeach the president. >> donald trump stayed true-to-form at his michigan rally on saturday. joining me now is maxine aforementioned change woman of florida. it wouldn't be a trump rally congress woman if you did not appear in spirit. so donald trump says the reason
8:21 am
now, nancy pelosi was the reason to vote in 2010 because president obama and apparently now you are the reason republicans should vote in the coming mid-term because of impeachment. your thoughts. >> well, first of all, he's absolutely correct that i am encouraging impeachment. but he's incorrect when he says and implies that at the rallies people are saying he's done nothing wrong. that's not what they're saying back to me when i say impeach him. i don't say impeach him quite that way. i say impeach 45 and they go nuts and they agree and 70% of democrats in a repeat pom said he should be impeached. >> we're putting that poll up right now. that's a poll from npr and pbs news hour an among democratic voters, 70% say impeach. 18% not, meaning they prefer to
8:22 am
vote for a candidate that impeachs donald trump. why then are so few democrats carry that message. tom stire is running ads on it. you talk about it a lot. nancy pelosi just on thursday discussing impeachment said the following -- >> i don't think that we should be talking about impeachment. i have been really clear right from the start. they criticized me as speaker of the floor for not impeaching president bush. it's a gift to republicans to talk about impeachment. what we want to talk about what they're doing to undermine working families in our country and what we are doing to increase our payroll and lower their costs. >> your thoughts, congress woman. >> well, i respect that, nancy pelosi has said all along that she really wanted everything geared towards talking about what we are doing and how we are working for the people and you know about our public policy. i respect that, but, however,
8:23 am
i'm with the 70%. i want him impeached. so i continue to advocate for that. because i think this is the most outrageous human being that could ever represent our countries and of course when you take a look at the lies that he has told. we take a look at all of his allies and their connections to russia and to putin and to the oligarchs, can you not help but think that not only did they work to support him in the election, i think we know enough about that, they hacked into the dnc. >> that he certainly can be accused of collusion and i think it's going to be proven, so its a combination of collusion with russia and obstruction of justice that i believe will load to this impeachment. >> i think it's clear to you know anywith unwho has observed the situation, the only way impeachment would have is, in
8:24 am
fact the house of representatives came to be controlled, they made it clear that that is not going to happen on their watch. donald trump was just tweeting in the last couple of days about this house intelligence committee report exonerateing him with his all collapse no collusion. it's pretty clear that they owe owe. >> the house intelligence committee report is nothing. they did a very poor job. it's a political report. out to support trump and to deny those who have testimony to be compelled to come before the committee and tell what they know. so they did a very poor job. it was all designed to say no, no, no there was no collusion. however, i believe that mueller is doing a fabulous job. i'm watching him. a lot of people are depending on what he's going to report to congress. and let me just say this. i do believe that when this
8:25 am
information is exposed about the real connections between this president, putin and manafort and carter paige and michael flynn, all of them we know had some involvement with putin and the oligarchs. when it comes out, it will be hard for some of those republicans who claim to be so patriotic, to stand with him and to deny the facts. and so the republicans who claim to be their very patriotic. they love this country more than anybody else, they are going to have to prove it when the facts are revealed. >> so you believe that let's just fast forward to 2019. if democrats come to be in control of the house judiciary committee, for instance, they were to put forward and probably on a party line vote articles of impeachment, do you believe there will be enough votes between the parties, you need republicans to impeach donald trump realistically? >> well, let me just say this.
8:26 am
i believe, if the facts are unveiled, whether it is in the next six months, before the november elections or after, that republicans are going to be hard pressed to stand with this president and to deny that he has clued with russia and that he's obstructed justice. i think even as a republicans see it now, some of them are whispering. they're embarrassed. they're worried, they're scared that this president is going to take them down eventually. so i believe that there will be republicans who will have to come out and agree with the facts that are going to be presented. >> i want to talk, you mentioned robert mueller. of course, there is a dnc lawsuit in terms of suing the trump campaign, suing russia, suing wikileaks about the hacking of the dnc's e-mail, dnc's e-mails.
8:27 am
your colleague, colleague jeffreys was defending that lawsuit against a specific criticism. that it actually is interfering with the mueller probe. take a listen. >> okay. >> we should allow bob mueller's investigation to proceed. >> that itself the most important thing. but a civil lawsuit at the end of the day, if it helps to uncover facts that can be presented to the american people is not a bad thing. >> what's your response to that, congress woman? are you concern thad the dnc's lawsuit might actually interfere with bob mueller's probe? >> i am not concerned at all. i think the dnc is doing the right thing, should go forward with it. everything that we can do to get the truth to the american people about what has gone on with the election of donald trump and the way that he has ruled in this presidency. and all of that cabinet that he has, that have been appointed to basically dismantle some of the best public policy this united
8:28 am
states government has ever produced. i think it is important for us to dig, to press and to do everything that we can. i support the dnc. >> let's talk about one more question about robert mueller. there have been some fits and starts, efforts to protect him legislatively. do you see any of that had advancing? especially in the house? >> well, it doesn't matter if it doesn't advance much further. the fact of the matter is it has been taken up. can you see that there is a warning that has been started to this president, you had better not fire mueller. you had better not fire rosenstein. >> that is really stepping over the line. and if you do that, you are really going to be confronted with your ability, with what you are doing and your attempts rather to obstruct justice. >> yeah. lastly. this is off the subject. we bring you on, we like to talk about the russia investigation
8:29 am
is something you focus on. i want to get you with the firing of the house chaplain. what do you make of that? >> well, i think that's one of the meanest things that could ever have been done. the chaplain is a wonderful chaplain who has done his duty in a very respectful way. and for them, to use the power of the majority to fire this chaplain is just unheard of. it's the first time in the he istory of the congress of the united states of america that it's ever been done. but i suppose you can just say that paul ryan on his way out has proven that he's never been worthy of being the speaker ap he's capable of these kind of actions which makes me say, well, get on out. i'm glad that you are gone, you didn't deserve to be there in the first place. >> never with unto mince words.
8:30 am
congress woman maxine waters. thank you for your time. have a wonderful day. >> thank you, move "am joy" after the break. rve "am joy" after the break. e "am joy" after the break. for all the eyes that get itchy and watery near pollen. there's flonase sensimist. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
8:31 am
8:32 am
tailored recommendations, tax-efficient investing strategies, and a dedicated advisor to help you grow and protect your wealth. fidelity wealth management. to help you grow and protect your wealth. we need to help more tocalifornians get ahead.d, that's why antonio villaraigosa brought both parties together to balance the state budget with record investments
8:33 am
in public schools... and new career training programs. as mayor of la, he brought police and residents together to get illegal guns off the streets and keep kids out of gangs, and on the right path. that's antonio villaraigosa. a governor for all of california. with pg&e in the sierras. and i'm an arborist since the onset of the drought, more than 129 million trees have died in california. pg&e prunes and removes over a million trees every year to ensure that hazardous trees can't impact power lines. and since the onset of the drought we've doubled our efforts. i grew up in the forests out in this area and honestly it's heartbreaking to see all these trees dying. what guides me is ensuring that the public is going to be safer and that these forests can be sustained and enjoyed by the community in the future.
8:34 am
>> tech: so you think this chip is nothing to worry about? well at safelite, we know sooner or later every chip will crack. these friends were on a trip when their windshield got chipped. so they scheduled at safelite.com. they didn't have to change their plans or worry about a thing. i'll see you all in a little bit. and i fixed it right away with a strong repair they can trust. plus, with most insurance a safelite repair is no cost to you. >> customer: really?! >> tech: being there whenever you need us that's another safelite advantage. >> singers: safelite repair, safelite replace.
8:35 am
8:36 am
8:37 am
the maximum pressure campaign that the trump administration has put on north korea has along with the political military pressure has brought us to this point. it's not possible to go to this meeting with a set of screwdrivers and think we're going to take it apart the day after the meeting.
8:38 am
and, therefore, the full, complete, total disclosure of everything related to their nuclear weapons program with full international verification, i think following libya, verification by american and other inspectors is going to be very important here. >> a hawk takes flight, donald trump's new national security adviser john bolton on fox this morning suggested libya-style de-nuclearization and giving trump credit. we go to that na spillbank and them think cross of the bbc. it's interesting to watch donald trump ran this as a would have, almost like a pat buchanon figure "america first" into a more of a neo-conservative organization. john bolton an example, pro war, aggression, aggression all around the world all at once, here's john bolton from his fox
8:39 am
interview talking about the situation between the koreas. >> we will be when we do sit down, i think it's something that the president has thought a good deal about already. i think people around the world have already given him credit for establishing the pre conditions for this to happen in the first place. president moon of south korea, for example, has been very clear. >> what do you think is going on here? >> i think what happened is that all of a sudden the north korean president realized there is one that sma more unstable than he is, that was what forced everything in. he is so president trump is so unwieldy, you do not know what card he is dealing with next. >> that by default may have forced him into conversation, that they were probably inching towards, this place accelerated it. >> i had some friends that paid attention to foreign policy, maybe the point is that donald trump is so frightening in a lot of ways to the rest of the world that he causes peace just by being himself.
8:40 am
>> we still have a long way to go before we see north korea de-nuclearize. i think that itself the test. if they actually did de-nuclearize, then i think everybody would say hey this is an extraordinary thing. but you know i think that maria teresa is right that the south koreans and the north koreans got together because they were both scared by trump. aed the question is, what kind of strength will the u.s. have going into this negotiation when south korea is our allie is worried about trump as anybody in the world. so i think this, we have a long which to go before we know how this is going to turn out. and again, if trump pulls this off, all of us even here will say, great, i just don't think the evidence is there, that the building blocks are in place to have this work out in a way that we actually want it no woto wor.
8:41 am
let me play adam schiff earlier on abc talking about the interconnection of the iron deal and a potential deal in north korea. >> if we drop out of the eastern agreement, if we renege on the iran deal when the iranians are spliek, it is dangerously naive to think this is not going to influence whether the north koreans think we can be trusted and whether the rest of the world will have confidence that the u.s. keeps its word. >> tiffany cross of the bbc, give us, what is the temperature, do people feel that donald trump, who is now seen can be easily flattered into action. moon jae-in i think is doing a brilliant job of using flattery, he is dealing with the saudi, giving them a metaphor, you are great, you get credit. do people worry on capitol hill that means in that meeting with kim jong-un the same kind of flattery could make donald trump make a bad deal or he could jump
8:42 am
the iran deal and make things worse? >> reporter: i do think they have that worry. i think and i hope they are focused on where we are right now the reality is we don't know what a de-nuclearized korea looks like when kim jong-un didn't know, they didn't establish what de-nuclearizeing looks like. i think that will be a question donald trump will have to bring to the table. there is no established time line, that is a concern to congress. i hope it's of concern to this president. i think it's going to be a really interesting time. we saw mike pompeo, the new secretary of state get confirmed on friday, this is going to be a world that he's going to have to step up to. he had a little bit of influence, with that secret meeting we learned about during his confirmation hearings when he went and met with the koreans. so i think congress is going to be more concerned about the facts, not get i hope the twitter wars and making a good headline. i hope the president can follow
8:43 am
that, instead of worrying about having positive news out of this event, let's worry about having a positive impact. i want to echo ej's point with ewant to see this president succeed. we want to see a de-nuclearized fame. we hope he can become equal to the task and for the first time during his administration become presidential and go in there with integrity and with the interests of the american people at heart, fought trying to appease his decreasing voter ba is. >> not just appease the voting base, dana millbanks, donald trump does have an affinity for a certain type of leader the strong man type, president xi of china, obviously, president putin whom he seems to deeply admire. he's made admireing statements for kim jong-un after calling him little rocketman. he has a respectful tongue towards him. is the same question out of d.c., is there a concern out there on capitol hill that donald trump might be too easily flattered and rolled to be blunt
8:44 am
by kim jong-un in that meet something. >> right. i think there are a lot of just as dropping this week when the president, when macron at the white house was talking about the open and honorable jim congress eun and obviously the tens of millions of north koreans and the family members, he's killed in brutal ways. no doubt, would have disagreed with that. had they had the opportunity to. the president is going to get credit for getting us to this moment, whether it was him operating under the madman theory, whether it was the sanctions, whether it was something else. we done know what is going on in the north korean leader's head. he will get credit if a successful deal emerges, he will get blamed fairly or not if they walk away without a de-nuclearized north korea. there is certainly the concern that, you know, do we get north korea to do something and i don't know, give them hawaii and alaska in the process? so you know, we have no idea
8:45 am
what might emerge from this. >> you are going to get that. okay. let's go to domestic policy. we spoke earlier to maxine waters. her quest to get impeachment on the table. congress woman nancy pelosi the minority leader saying it's not smart politics for the democrats. this whole question of what to do with president trump and whether he's being held accountable by republicans. trey gowdy, he is leaving soon. he sort of dealt with that question on whether republicans have done oversight over this president in an interview this morning on "face the nation." let's listen to that. >> i ask a lot of tough questions on the trump tower meeting. i was almost tougher than steve ban nan than any democrats come out. when the transcripts come out. my fellow republicans will see it. when you are only interested in
8:46 am
seeing the president indicted. >> that will not turn out well. >> is that true, was tray gowdy tougher on ban none than anyone else? >> i'd have to see the transcripts, i doubt it. i'm offended by the premise of what he said. i think the americans are seeing our democracy protected. what we saw in this partisan report out of the house intel committee was it was very divide. we had republicans more interested and spent more time investigating the investigation than the actual collusion. and this is a dangerous time. because the president just tweeted out there was no need for a special count sell. so not only did he prove yet again he still doesn't know how to spell the word counsel, he also made the point that robert mueller is very much in danger. if he doesn't believe he could be apointed, he has the right to pire him. i wish congress would get behind this. we saw the senate judiciary committee put forth protections this week for robert mueller. so i think we have to let the investigation play out.
8:47 am
nobody is interest. this is not about having donald trump walk away in handcuffs. you don't see people rally on the left lock him up. this is protecting the blood line of our democracy, i wish that republicans who certainly purport to be patriots. i wish they took it as seriously as the rest of the american people. >> stick around. don't go away. more "am joy" after the break. - anncr: thankfully, prevagen helps your brain and improves memory. - dad's got all the answers. - anncr: prevagen is now the number-one-selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. - she outsmarts me every single time. - checkmate! you wanna play again? - anncr: prevagen. healthier brain. better life.
8:48 am
8:49 am
8:50 am
ancestrydna has 5x more detail ...and it's now on sale for just $59. it can lead you on an unexpec ted journey... ...to discover your heritage. get ancestrydna for just $59. the lowest price of the year.
8:51 am
my panel is back. >> he recognizes they're the demise of mid term elections. he talks like he doesn't want them to participate in census from fear, he sees the writing on the wall. >> over the years, there's this it's coming, latino voter boom is going to explode and cause x, y and z to happen in the elections, and still have
8:52 am
hispanics voting. >> 79% voted. we have to raise, growing the base. 60% of latinos under the age of 33. >> about registration. >> mean age of voters is 17 years old. next three years, you'll have a tsunami of latino voters. >> what people don't understand is at the moment latino voters are about seven or eight percent of the electorate. if they voted at population share -- >> they're coming of age and angry because they're seeing the injustices that you're having. the reason that texas is in play, three points away from ted cruz, that's a margin of error. that's not just fantastic, it is because of policies of greg abbott that reflect a donald trump agenda. >> all right. we're interested in that. dana milbank, what's your
8:53 am
headline? maria teresa is correct about that, look at where trump gave that speech. 93% white in that township. no accident. my headline for the week, i fully expect before the week is out, we will be reading and seeing that michael cohen has taken on bill cosby's appeal, by which i mean, say that partly in jest, i expect whatever we're talking about in a few days from now, we have no idea what it's going to be because that's the way things are now. i was talking with some white house reporters when i was visiting the white house this week, i think anybody in this building with the possible exception of mike pence could be fired on any given day. so it is going to be something like that. >> are you hearing rumor that donald trump is thinking of giving john kelly another job, moving him to another position? >> they do need a veteran's administration secretary. >> yes. interesting. what's your headline?
8:54 am
>> first a lesson. the lesson, never go after dana milbank on one of these round robins, he will make us all laugh about the madness of the current situation. i am going totally wonky. in nashville, voters are voting on a $5.4 billion transit investment plan that will require taxes to go up. on one side, in favor are most progressives, business community, people in the central city. against it are some progressive groups that want to spend money on other things, but largely anti-tax conservatives that live more in the outer suburbs. if this passes, two things i think will be interesting. voters are willing to make public investments again, they can't effect washington now very much, although they will in november, but they can do it in their own towns. two, high turnout in pro-transit
8:55 am
areas may bode well for the democrat trying to take that tennessee seat away from the republicans. so another election to watch on tuesday. >> absolutely. that's in striking distance. that's an interesting race. tiffany cross, what is your headline? >> i think all of the news media is talking about north korea because the state of things where they are, mike pompeo, newly sworn in secretary of state. i think that will dominate the headlines. a lot of media tends to take the shiny object, with the exception of joy reed where you have long analysis about politics and policy and everybody is chasing the shiny object. i hope other people can lend coverage to the fact that there are 3.3 million in puerto rico struggling to recover after hurricane maria, 100,000 residents in flint, michigan as michelle wolf pointed out that
8:56 am
don't have clean water. while all this goes on, record numbers of people running for office and elected officials in office now doing amazing things. try to cover that every day. highlight what people are color across the country on the front lines, advocating for policy that we hope cast a wide net of influence across the country. >> amen to that. thank you guys so much. appreciate it. >> great to be with you. >> get some brunch. shoutout to my daughter, it is your birthday. we're going to party like it's your birthday. pictures of winnie with her multicolored hair like a certain person on the show. more a.m. joy next. ♪ better than anyone ♪ anyone i've ever met
8:57 am
♪ i'm stuck on your heart, the best just got bigger. ♪ i hang on every word you say applebee's new bigger bolder grill combos. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
8:58 am
8:59 am
9:00 am
thanks for watching, lovely people. we'll be back next week. my friend alex witt has the latest. >> how fun, you have a family birthday party to do. >> yes. >> all right. okay, hot mama. have a good time. i am alex witt. it is high noon, right on the nose. there's a lot to get to. new insight in the russian investigation from a member of the house intelligence committee. why he says the probe is creeping closer to the oval office. >> at least 11 trump associates communicating with the russians on an on-going basis. >> meantime, the pres

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on