Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  May 26, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
is this happening?" make sure you're subscribed now. be the first to listen to the new episode. it's a really, really fun one. i'll tell you about my teenage years. that is "all in" for this evening. you can catch us week nights at 8:00 on nbc. we begin with breaking news as michael cohen is bust ad for a meeting that has never been said before. michael cohen met 11 days before donald trump's inauguration and exposed today and now under scrutiny and there is video. cohen met with victor vex sell be -- victor vexleburg. and this is the same attorney who paid stormy daniels.
4:01 pm
vek se -- vekselberg is considered to be something more important, a supremely russian government fixer who does things for putin like spending millions on faberge eggs that were supposed to come back to russia for a kremlin display case. so keep that in mind when you recall that michael cohen has not only disclaimed any outreach to russia, but he has said that he does not talk to russian government people. >> i am telling you that i was not in prague. and they claim to have photos with me of some russian personnel, and i said show me. >> have you been with hookers in prague? >> i have never been to russia, and so is release the photos. >> and release the photos. you string enough together, and you will have photos. this is the video, and airing on msnbc for the first time tonight
4:02 pm
showing the government official linked to the oligarch meeting with michael cohen. and you are seeing it on tape, and no denials on this part of the story tonight. instead vex -- vekselberg is talking about that with the administration and whether or not michael cohen going to get an administration job or not. >> michael cohen is a very good friend of mine, and my attorney, and i have no deals in rush sharks and i have no deals that could happen in russia -- >> those statements were happening at this press conference during the transition, and in the key time that we know that the meeting toob place, and trump arguing that he had stayed away from russia since the last trip in 2013, and this is what is big
4:03 pm
tonight. forget all of the trump conspiracy theories, and that is the pushback, and look at why the temperature is so high in the white house. this news adds to the evidence that russia was more than willing to come to trump and to his very close confidant that he was praising in public that very week. i am joined by maya wily, former attorney and council in new york, and also dnc chair howard dean. maya, what does this mean for the investigation? >> well, basically, it means that michael cohen is in deep trouble. deep trouble. because these have had clear connections. we knew that there was an e-mail exchange between him and felix saider in 2015 when they were trying to create the moscow trump hotel that, right, that he could get them to putin, and that he could get them there to create that connection and so there is an e-mail that suggests
4:04 pm
a relationship that is both business dealings and winning the presidency. we don't know more about what that mean, but now you have the fact that he has close meetings, and remember that vekselberg was a person who gave, and he his cousin later was support iing t trump presidential campaign and supported inauguration, and that he was at the inauguration with trump, himself. >> right. you are talking about the intrader who is a big part of the money trail. >> he is vekselberg's cousin. >> and so, we don't know everyone that mueller has interviewed, but we have a growing list from the leaks that come from the witnesses, and so what is fascinating that he has focused on americans and the people involved in the trump campaign, and that makes sense, but when it comes to foreigners, it is this same person that we showed caught on tape in this video, and the new york times showing that the investigators
4:05 pm
stop vekselberg at the airport when he was flying on a private airplane, and interviewed him twice about his dealings with the mr. cohen. it seems that as more comes out, this is a bigger part of the russian collusion probe than initially understood. >> yes, that is right. what we need for the conspiracy which is what we would be talking about is an agreement between more than one person. trump would have to have some knowledge and connection to it, but he would not have had to take any direct action personally or necessarily if he knew about it, he knew about the criminal intent if there was criminal intent, and so this is some of the things that put us much more closely in that circle of potential con spespiracy, wh is really the brass ring for mueller. >> that is really the law, and the politics, howard dean, which is the extraordinary way that the republican national committee is keeping cohen on
4:06 pm
board. and take a look at this new today. >> michael cohen last time we spoke, you told me that he was still working as a deputy finance chair for the rnc and is that still the case? >> it is still the case. there is ongoing lit gashgs and we will take it step by step, but he is still. >> howard? >> this is very dangerous. trump has really infected the entire republican party with the swamp, a send this swamp and brought it to washington. the thing that is astonishing with it is how uncareful he s. lt and mueller is following the money around. and when you follow the money around, and if this is russian oligarch who is close to putin gave $500,000 to cohen, and cohen used for it trump's benefit, that is ob struck shup of justice, and i think that the rnc is now at risk of being charged with obstruction of justice for hiring cohen in what it most like sli a -- most
4:07 pm
likely a no-end job. and so we are talking about the confusing stuff for the general public on television, and mueller has a paper trail showing a hell of a lot of money being laundered and this is dangerous for the republican party, and the republican party feels like they are in deep enough that it is looking bad enough to get cohen out, and keeping him in is obviously going to look bad. i want to add clarence page a "chicago tribune" columnists, and one of our experts. there is paola, and pay to play, and then actionable chargeable corruption. how is this playing in washington, a town that does have low standards, but still. >> if i could paraphrase the president, who knew that collusion charges could be so complicated. indeed, we are seeing the ten a tentacles being spread out, and
4:08 pm
with the russian financiers, and we are learning how many branches there are, and also, michael cohen's central role in connecting parts of the money flow, and what we don't know is how much the president knew, and when did he know it, if i could borrow a watergate period phrase, but that is maybe the central question that we are poking at here, and meanwhile, as we are moving up the ladder, people like michael cohen are putting themselves in some complex jeopardy here. >> and andrew in-trader who wants to carry out what this russian billionaire is happening telling the noshg t"the new yor what is it like to visiting michael cohen in that period. i remember walking in, and seeing a lot of boxes as michael is a packing up the boxes, and looking forward to hanging his own shingle, as he said, and clarence, what do you make of that and they don't care, and so after they throw the money around or oengage in various levels of the pseudo collusion
4:09 pm
or not, they will talk to the american media about it. >> well, mr. cohen had a growing empire of connections there, and we are learning more all of the time here, and he was operating right out of trump tower in addition. so it is looking like it is part of the trump empire, but what we have not established is how firm the connections are, and how much the president knew at that time as he was becoming president. >> howard dean, does any of this stick to the president politically, because even if it is not the basis for the charges, it is literally a lot of the things that he accused hillary clinton of or is this such a hyperpolarized view, that it is politically viewed through the prism out there? >> it is sticking to the president. i will give you a fascinating example. national public radio had a program talking about the schism
4:10 pm
of the conservative catholics and the evangelicals, and the evangelical christians are all-in with trump regardless of the immorality and the catholics are not. the bishop is concerned about his policies toward people, and poor people, and the morality of trump has affected the support. he is going to be getting a much smaller percentage of the catholic vote in 2018 and 2020 as a restouflt bishops' disgust with this behavior. >> clarence? >> well, i have covered chicago politics for a lot of year, and just fascinated by the complexities of the corruption. but also by how many chicago citizens under the first mayor daley support ed the mayor as long as het got the garbage cans picked up and the snow from the street, and this is how the trump supporters are judging
4:11 pm
him, as to the positive impact of their lives. >> instead of clearing the garbage it is pressuring the nfl into the anti-speech policies. is that the analogy? >> yes, in the watergate scandal most folks in the midwest didn't know about the complexities of it and didn't seem to care unless till nixon resigned and then they figured out why the president resigned. this is why this is the new series of scandals as they come out. they are complicate and folks wonder where all of this is going to end. in the meantime, trump and the supporters are playing on the public's impatience saying that mueller has been at this too long and he needs to stop. it is not going to happen, but i think that we are going to have to pay attention to the complexities. >> and i think that the complexity, maya, although it is a fair point from the panelist, it can be a dodge. if you are selling out the government for personal benefit,
4:12 pm
the way that you do it might be complex, because you might be a sneaky lawyer. i mean, that is fine, but i think that people understand what it means to sell out. >> the stor y is straight forwad and the facts necessary to prove it are the complicated part. so if it is -- and remember that one of the things that happened in watergate is that there was the smoking gun that was the tapes. and it is not the obstruction charges but that he was on tape clearly engaging with criminal intent. so part of the complexity here is going back to what clarence is saying that where and how are we going to get information about trump's direct connection to what mooueller is investigating, but the point here is that there is so much to pointing to it. so if we have donald trump jr. actively saying that i want those e-mails that might implicate hillary clinton, and then trump, part of the
4:13 pm
obstruction is that he is not just saying, oh, i am going to fire comey, but he is saying that he is changing the story about why, and certain of why he was meeting with the russian attorney in june in trump tower. so when we put the pieces together of the story, it seems straight forward that there is so much lying going on and trump has been lying publicly and aggressively in public record here sh here, and for the public, the question is why lie? if you didn't do anything wrong, why lie? how do we believe that your son was doing something you didn't know that he was doing when your actual campaign was primarily led by the family. so those parts of the story are fairly clear, and the american public as we have seen from the most recent polling believes that donald trump is telling the truth, and only 13% of americans believe that he tells the truth, and over time, this is going to start to erode politically for the republicans. and i think that the problem for
4:14 pm
our country is that we have to be very careful how far we let it go, because we have institutions of government that need to work that we need to protect to have a democratic process. >> as we often say when maya wily finishes a breakdown. i think that you put it well. so stay with us, as i have more to talk to you about, howard dean. we want the turn to another important story and the journalist who helped to start it all. the authorities charged harvey weinstein today, and i am about to talk to megan tuohy who broke the story for the new york time, and let me explain the news. he is charged with three counts of sexual assault and rape and he was led out in handcuff, and he did not take questions. inside of the courtroom, the prosecutors are going to be
4:15 pm
laying out the case that they will have to prove in detail, and the judge ensuring that defendant weinstein upd the bnd the bail agreement. >> this defendant used the position, money, power to lure young women into situations where he was able to violate them sexually. >> and violate these terms you are u subject to arrest, do you agree with that? >> over 90 women have publicly accused him of various stages of assault and rape. one says that he held a woman against her will and had sexual intercourse with her against her will while visibly forcing her into sex. and the new york attorney general resigning recently, because of his own assault allegation, and that is the context of what women are facing in new york. it was a different prosecutor,
4:16 pm
the manhattan d.a. who took a lot of heat of not charging weinstein originally in 2018. and now, weinstein is to be casted as a purveyor of the casting couch, but not to have created it says his attorney. >> i am to defend bad behavior, but criminal behavior. harry weinstein did not invent the casting couch, and to the x extent that there is bad behavior in that industry is not on trial in this case. it is only if you intentionally committed a criminal act that mr. weinstein vigorously denies that. >> his accusers had a different message today. >> this is a big strike into the heart of a abuse of power, and it shows people worldwide which is what i was hoping the whole
4:17 pm
time that this cannot and will not stand. >> megan tuohy, the investigative reporter joins me now. when you were working on this story and published it in october, did you expect this to happy today? >> i did not. i did not. when my reporting partner jody and i began the investigation in basically the spring of 2017, we were constantly looking into the eyes of victims who were just terrified to come forward and go on the record, and i don't think that anybody from the victims through us, the reporters, ever expected that we would see harry weinstein today in handcuffs in court. >> and when you talked to them, what did your reporting suggest that they were most afraid of? harvey weinstein has relations with the current president donald trump, and the relationships with the clintons and throwing the money around, and relationships with the media moguls and the political elites,
4:18 pm
and employed private security, and what scared him the most? >> i think that few people understood the various levels of protection that he had built around him over the year, and the complplicity machine that helped him to cover up the p patterns of misconduct. over the past few months, we saw that there were high powered lawyers who paid hush money gai against women over the years and the private investigators who were dispatched to dig up dirt on the accusers and the reporters hot on his trail. and he absolute ri dly did have relationships with those in the media industry not only protecting but covering for him. so for all of these reasons, year after year, and decade after decade appeared untouchable, because of all of the celebrity and the power never go down. that it would be the women who would suffer damage to their careers if they spoke out. >> nypd was on this and a leaked
4:19 pm
sting audio recording which came out in the same period when you were doing the reporting, and let's take a listen to that now. >> why is it that you touch mid breast? >> come on, you are used to that. >> you are used to that? no sh no, by i am not used to that. >> i won't do it again. okay. come on. sit here. sit here for a minute, please. >> i want to do that. >> if you will do this now -- >> yes, but it is too much. >>ly not do anything for five minutes, and don't ruin your future for five minutes. please, you are making a big scene here. >> okay. what are you hearing on the recording and what it is telling you about the investigative
4:20 pm
process. >> the district attorney who brought the charges against weinstein and the cases completely separate from that in 2015 a criminal case brought by the cops. a woman who had met an italian model who had gone to weinstein's office with a business meeting and within hours reported to the police that she had been groped by him, and attempted sexual abuse, and she wore that wire, and got by what is many interpretations what sounds like a confession, and yet the district attorney's office did not bring charges. the office has come under a lot of criticism for that, and especially in recent months when these allegations have come out against him, and the office was under intense pressure to make sure that it did its job this time around. >> megan, t tuohy who has been part of this story since you broke it. thank you for coming on "the beat" tonight. >> sure. and now, we go to look at
4:21 pm
fallback friday, and nef tall ti jones, but you will see that roger stone has been reportedly attacking me on the reporting. i won't respond to the personal part, but we have a report on stone, and the e-mails and the wikileaks contacts are under scrutiny. and also, we will find out more about adam schiff's investigators when we come back in 60 seconds. playing a little hide-n-seek. cold... warmer... warmer... ah boiling. jackpot. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, you could be picking up these charges yourself. so get allstate, where agents help keep you protected from mayhem... ...like me. mayhem is everywhere. are you in good hands? fthere's flonase sensimist.f up around pets. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't.
4:22 pm
and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist. benjamin franklin capturedkey lightening in a bottle. over 260 years later, with a little resourcefulness,
4:23 pm
ingenuity, and grit, we're not only capturing energy from the sun and wind, we're storing it. as the nation's leader in energy storage, we're ensuring americans have the energy they need, whenever they need it. this is our era. this is america's energy era. nextera energy. sure. mom,what's up son?alk? i can't be your it guy anymore. what? you guys have xfinity. you can do this.
4:24 pm
what's a good wifi password, mom? you still have to visit us. i will. no. make that the password: "you_stillóhave_toóvisit_us." that's a good one. [ chuckles ] download the xfinity my account app and set a password you can easily remember. one more way comcast is working to fit into your life, not the other way around. tonight, there is new heat on roger stone. he says that he is prepared to be indict and this, the "wall street journal" reporting a major headline that for every collusion probe roger stone sought information of clinton from asauj. a and that is a familiar, because he has long bragged about leaks from wikileaks. but this is how far he went to get dirt on clinton from wikileaks. and we are joined by one of the
4:25 pm
radio hosts who is few to interview asauj, and he alleged that stone is a liar and also the new impacts of the reports from the mueller probe, he is back with us tonight. now sh, whatever within thinks the players in the drama, this is why it matters. the new e-mails may shed light of where mueller is headed and tackling the question of whether rogerstone hyped the wikileaks contacts and never came close to the crime or whether stone took actions that could implicate him in an election conspiracy, and one of the e-mails is a future batch of the stolen clinton e-mails and knowing that they could not asks a sauj for favors every single day. and a former clinton aide who is dispatching this message, i am filled with rage. that is not all. the leaked e-mails go past the campaign and into this year showing that stone showed that credico was wearing a wire, and also that he would not comply
4:26 pm
with the investigators. >> hillary clinton's two aides invoked the fifth amendment and were they lying last year? i invoked it because i don't want to sit down with that committee. i do not believe in that committee. i am not happy with adam schiff. >> that is a big claim, but like some other witnesses who threatened not to testify, we can report tonight that credico did back down partially and did talk to congressman adam schiff's staff this wednesday and he joined with us the first interview since then for this exclusive. and randy, thank you for being here. >> always a thrill to be on the hot seat on "the beat." >> you weren't going to talk to shif until wednesday and why did you change your mind? >> i ran across him at the white house correspondents' dinner, and we had a nice discussion of pasadena where we from and why don't we talk. i said informal talk off of the record, but i won't go in front of the stenographer or one of
4:27 pm
the lawyers and write it down. and he said, fine. i went down to have an informal off of the record discussion, and background stuff, because as you know, this entire affair has totally destroy ed my life in s many ways. >> what did they want to know? >> they wanted to know everything that you wanted to know. >> they wanted to know the role between oliver stone and asauj. >> --s a sa assange. >> and i said, you are wasting your time chasing roger stone, because you are chasing rainbows. i understand the story, and the eight e-mails leading into it, ms. halladay omitted. >> well, go into them. >> i sent them to you today, because i am not a ashamed of this. >> and okay. one that says, please, ask assange about any e-mail with roger stone saying that why do we assume that wikileaks has
4:28 pm
released everything that they have. >> you are leaving out the first e-mail. >> what does it say to you? >> it says to me that he sent me an e-mail about dr. paul who met in libya that had something to do with hillary clinton, and i looked at it, and he wanted me to put somebody on the show. i said i will put somebody on the show, and he said, i will look at it, and he said, you have to confirm it first and assange may be on my show, and look at the wiki lakes website. >> the reason this is interest is that roger was hyping saying that he was using you the get to assange or some of that was going on. these e-mails look like you were addressing specific e-mails from different times from assange. >> and i understand how it looks, and this is the first conversation with julian assange, and when did it come, september 18th or something like that? >> yes, september 18th, 2016. >> and the previous three months no discussion on julian assange
4:29 pm
or wikileaks. >> so i want to be clear that you just spoke with adam schiff's people, that roger stone was lying when he says that you were the intermediary. >> yes, he wanted me to get this to julian assange to get to it. >> and so this is what we have noted on the program, it can be stressful and so -- >> i am not stressed at all, but i feel safe here. >> and roger stone said something to you, i want to take that dog away from you, and nothing you can do about it, i'm paraphrasing, because i will prove to that the world that you are a liar. is stone threatening you to try to get you the change your accounts in 2016. >> he did not like me being on the show on first time. he sent the e-mail to halladay, and he is afraid that i am going to unload on him. i have stuff on roger stone -- >> why is he bringing the dog into this? >> because he is a sick man. he is delusional. >> let me bring in attorney maya
4:30 pm
wily who often joins us for this part of the program. the witness discussion part. and take a listen to roger stone who said something unusual even for him and anyone in this situation on "meet the press" this sunday. take a listen. >> it is not inconceivable now that mr. mueller and his team may seek to conjure up some extraneous crime pertaining to my business or maybe not even pertaining to the 2016 election. >> how do you make sense of what roger stone is doing or saying, and what mr. credic osho is say that he believes that mr. stone is trying to threaten him. >> well, if mr. stone is trying to steal his dog, that is a form of aggression. and roger stone has made several statements that seem to be contradicted by the e-mails that he sent, and that may get him in trouble in terms of the perjury.
4:31 pm
for instance, he has said publicly that he didn't have advance knowledge of the hacks, and then we have sam nunnberg and another unnamed source saying that he did. then he constantly stated that he was only trying to confirm the existence of e-mails not that he -- and never suggested that he was specifically seeking specific types of e-mails and what this exchange seems to indicate is that he was looking for particular information -- >> so you are saying are from the investigative view that the particularly of the view here could be bad for stone? >> correct. and add to that, remember that donald trump during the campaign was saying that he did not support the attacks in libya and going after moammar gadhafi, and hillary clinton said it is a lie, and ymade those statements and then a period between him and hillary clinton and and the
4:32 pm
sequence of e-mails from libya in a particular time in 2011, so you have to wonder what is happening there? conversations? what is happening there. >> and so, i mean no disrespect with this because i try to treat everyone fairly, but maya, and you will have a chance to respond, of the pattern of some of the individuals in the orbit who are of investigative interest, and the committee wants to speak to, and some of them making a showing saying that i will not speak or comply and then they end up doing so? >> well, it is, look, hard to not ocomply with a subpoena. because you put yourself in legal jeopardy if you don't. i think that also what initially happens is that people don't want to. they say they don't want to. it is understandable. it is scary. and then at a certain point start to see that there may be some benefit to actually cooperating rather than fighting. >> and the reason why i went down there, is they went there
4:33 pm
for a specific reason. i went down there to ask him, if you want to get to the bottom of all of this, then go to london, and i had gone there with a mandate from mr. assange with mr. schiff to go there to get t it. >> and what? you have julian assange's permission to speak to the adam schiff committee? >> yes. >> when did he tell you that. >> before, and it was a secret mission, because i did not go down there to testify. >> before wednesday? >> yes. >> and why did assange want to speak? >> because he can clear it up, and he can speak to adam schiff and if he wants to go over there, you can do that. >> that is what we call burying the lead, because we have been speaking to you earlier today about the meeting, and if that is the case, was he interested in that meeting? >> it is well noted. i gave him some general stuff,
4:34 pm
and i gave him background on rogerer stone's personality, and the meg low mainia, and forget about stone and me, and jump to the chase and see assange and i have got the permission and the communication and i kept it quiet. >> why does julian assange want to do that? >> well, he is ready to show that there is no collusion, me, stone, and he is willing to sit down with schiff and be interviewe interviewed. >> does he have any other material that has not been released that would support his side of this? >> i think so. i think that -- >> what kind of material would that be? >> i don't know, because he does not give up sources or information, and he does not telegraph stuff. >> he does not talk to a lot of people, and for whatever reason, he does talk to you repeatedly. >> i was able, and ki tell you that there is communication between me and him, and they said, let's go with this. i asked schif fshs and his staff, and they said it is noted and we will see what happens. >> did you tell roger stone? >> no, i did not tell.
4:35 pm
>> you are not coordinated. >> we are not talking at all roger stone and i. he has that thing about my dog is mild to the kind of the harassment i have received from roger stone over the last couple of weeks. >> maya wily, what do you make of this additional statement by mr. credico that mr. assange is willing to speak to adam schiff's investigators. >> i am shocked, because ghoit imagine that julian assange who has, and remember that he is in the embassy, the ecuadorian embassy, because he is worried about extradition, and now he is being pressured out of the embassy, and they have disconnected him from the internet, and it is something of concern for him to be forced to leave. he does not want to be extradited to the united states. if in fact there is an investigation around a con sp r conspiracy to defraud the united states, julian assange may well
4:36 pm
be considered a co-conspirator the or at least a target around coconspiracy. >> so it adverse of his inter t interest, and he is thoughtful about the issues and understands how it is working. >> yes. >> and so my last question, possible that he is trolling you? >> no, i have solid communications. and he and people around him want to set this up. it is has been put on the plate, and up to mr. schiff, and if he is serious, he can go. nixon went to china, and if the president is going to meet with the north korean president, certainly schiff has the credibility and the chops to go over there to meet with mr. assange. >> well, mr. credico, you could have broken that anywhere in the world, world, and you did it on our show, so thank you. >> maya, thank you. >> and now, what is happening with trump and the press. we dug into the archives.
4:37 pm
>> this is what i want -- do the int interview with somebody else. and tonight, alec baldwin about the big clue on the future of this. >> oh, my god, i am already so bored. i wish that i was watching roseanne and how great is that show? roseanne loves me. she is like a good rosie o'donnell. >> and up next, an icon, leon tally joins me. he revolutioned fashion, and he is live at 30 rock to talk about the next act, and also howell raines with a special fallback friday. i'm ari, and thank you for watching. cut...it...out! [laughing] what year is it? as long as stuff gets lost in the couch, you can count on geico saving folks money.
4:38 pm
fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. you finished preparing overhim for college.rs, in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well-being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine.
4:39 pm
it is friday on the beat, and you know what that means? it is time to fall back and we r are not playing to nite. we have the distinguished andre leon talley, the editor for "vogue" magazine, and they say he is one tof the most famous people in the fashion world. >> i would come to the tennis court in a pair of shorts and a tennis shirt. i go to ralph lauren with my watch. it is part of the whole life of being who i am. i ha i have to get up to approach life with my own esthetics about style. >> he has worked with renowned icons like tom ford and the late oscar della ren a ta. he has a new movie opening up
4:40 pm
about his upbringing of his life in the jim crow era to the fashion icon in "vogue." i >> i did not know who i was becoming, but i did get out of the jim crow south. >> and the heads just exploded, because he was somebody that he was not supposed to be. >> he is part of the landscape of new york. >> you just do it. and it impacts the culture. >> and another man who just does it is alex raines including his new book "fly fishing through his mid-life crisis." and also, he won something called the pulitzer prize. gentlemen, you honor with us the presence and we have two icons at the table. >> honor be with you, ari. >> it is an honor to be with you and you. >> and you, sir raines. >> and escape before we get started. you guys look good together. >> we do. we do. we compliment each other, yes.
4:41 pm
>> andre. >> yes? >> who needs to fall back? >> who needs to fall back are all of the people bashing kayne west. kayne west has gone through a difficult moment in his life when he has embraced the man in the white house, and embraced statement tas that are really not attuned to what people feel, and particularly the african mile an hour people in this country about slavery and instead of bashing him and saying that he is mentally ill, you need to reach out, and snoop dogg was reaching out to him on the "view" and have conversations with him. he can reach out to me, and i have conversations with him at 6:00 a.m. back before he was married. a and so please call me, and we should pray for him. >> what is he looking for? >> he is look g fing for ideas. >> aren't we all. >> he is looking for ideas, and he is gracing you with, hey, it is me, kayne, and you have to talk and then he hangs up,
4:42 pm
because that is okay, too. >> i didn't know that he calls glou the early morning. >> only before he got r married to kim, and once he got married to kim -- >> i never heard this story from you before. >> yes. >> and may ask you this question. would you say, wake up, mr. west, mr. west, by himself, he is so impressed. >> i would say, wake up, wake up, mr. west. words do matter, and this is going follow you and your children are going to grow up and wake up, but we are praying for you brother. we love you, brother. he needs to listen to cornel west and mr. coates who wrote an extraordinary piece about him. >> do words matter? >> yes, and i want to fall back on the word of escapeee, because i am a returnee to a alabama. >> are you doing a fallback to alabama? >> yes, i don't want my passport to be revoked, because i love the home state for the flaws and the wonderful history.
4:43 pm
now, i am also going to dabble with the rules that fallback in this regard. because i am going to talk about a man who was thrown back. vic cunningham has fallen back because the voters in dallas defeated him by 25 votes. this is a man who has held public office and known for using the n-word habitually, and his brother, his gay brother bill was campaigning against him along with bill's black husband and vick cunningham's son said that he is not coming to his a father's house for dinner unless he could bring his vietnamese girlfriend a. that is bringing me to one of my favorite subjects the good veteran writer for the political post says that demographics is destiny. and this is a a crystal snapshot of the changing state of texas which i think is in a race with
4:44 pm
georgia to be the first southern state to go blue in the 2020 as possibly as the 2020 election. this is also pointing out a demographic feature that is common throughout the south and southwest. that is the south that is inhabited by people over 40 of both races is very different from the south that it is inhabited by the people under 40. >> and how does that compare to your experience, because of read the profile of you in the documentary, you obviously decided to transcend a lot of what you were up against. >> i knew that i had to get out of there, and someway out of the south. i was destined to be a teacher at a school or public school or private school and i never would have left the south. once i got out of the south and went to brown and i came to new york and i met the great, great andy warhol, and they said, don't go back to the south, and not christmas, because it will happen for you.
4:45 pm
i would have take n that safe job, and i love the south, and i return to the south. >> what did the great andy war hol see warhol say to you? >> well, andre, you can be anything that you want, and something must have been in me when i came when i was hungry to impress, but i did it in a very subtle way. it is the great writer vanessa freedman said -- >> all i am getting off of you is subtle. >> this is casual. this is casual. >> and so, this is casual. >> if i were going somewhere e it would be more ceremonial than this. >> this is the most met galla. >> this is not met gala drag, this is everyday drag. this is brocade. >> well, i'm a thompson and we don't do casual.
4:46 pm
>> well, now that you had one other idea for fallback. >> the nfl rule that is going to be a great pushback on it, and the athletes are our heroes and those men have every right to stand up or to standdown and go down with dignity on one knee. they are representing the cause, pain that is inflicted on the people in this country without people knowing that there is pain. it is a symbolic gesture and i believe that the man in the white house has single-handedly influenced the nfl, ta the money people, and the till gathers. >> they are kneeling to him? >> tho mono the money. to the money. and there is going to be backlash and complete and unapologetic protests in the locker room and on the field. >> i agree. my fallback akin to this one is with the world tennis association, the french tennis association which deranked the greatest tennis player of all time, because she had a baby and they the regard that as
4:47 pm
tantamount to an athletic injury. >> that is extraordinary. it is outra ray jous. and it is outrageous, and she is the best athlete that has ever existed in our time. >> it is possible. >> and can we do it again with both of you? >> i would love to come back. >> thank you. >> there is a saying that you are an icon living, and you are both icons and you honor with us the presence. thank you both so much. we have more. donald trump admits why he undermines the free press and it st started a long time the ago. and we look in the archives. and alec baldwin with his impression. l the time. no, no. no, honey, we meant that progressive would be protecting us 24/7. we just bundled home and auto and saved money. that's nothing to be afraid of. -but -- -good night, kyle. [ switch clicks, door closes ] ♪ i told you i was just checking the wiring in here, kyle. he's never like this. i think something's going on at school.
4:48 pm
-[ sighs ] -he's not engaging. i think something's going on at school. fthere's flonase sensimist.tchy and watery near pollen. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
4:49 pm
powerful skincare,s now light-as-air a breakthrough moisturizer whipped for instant absorption feel a light-as-air finish in a flash
4:50 pm
new olay whips ageless no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here. ithe race for governort. has turned into a scam. gavin newsom's trying to elect a republican who was endorsed by trump. and villaraigosa's being bankrolled by a handful of billionaires. it's everything that's wrong with politics. and none of it is helping struggling families. here's my pledge to you. i'll keep our budget balanced. invest in affordable housing. fight for universal healthcare. and stand up to donald trump. as governor, you can trust me to do what's right-
4:51 pm
because i always have. californians are leading against donald trump. our senator should, too. kevin de león is the only candidate for senate who passed laws protecting immigrants from trump... and helped dreamers stay in school. he led bold action against climate change. and only de león fought for universal, medicare for all. democrat kevin de león the only true progressive for senate. change california now is responsible for the content of this advertising. we do know president trump's attacks on the free press aren't a bug, they are a feature of his political identity. lessee staal from "60 minutes" telling a story about an off-camera interaction with trump that explains a lot. >> at one point he started to
4:52 pm
attack the press. and i said, you know, that is getting tired. why are you doing this, you're doing it over and over and it's boring and it's time to end that, you know, you've won the nomination. and why do you keep hammering at this? and he said, you know why i do it? i do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you. >> you might say he's a quick study in politics but it's important you understand when you look through the archives, this is something he's been doing, attacking the media, for decades. >> when people say something false, i attack those people. the news gets away with murder. the news media, they get away with murder. i don't stand for it when they write false and malicious stories. "forbes" has been after me for years. they say the plaza hotel is not worth what it's worth, it's a hatchet job. >> it's a strategy, it can born, but born of a kind of emotional
4:53 pm
weakness. a new attempt tear from netflix showcases trump's thin skin. >> the ones who said negative things -- >> here we are, back to the negative. >> back to the negative. >> you know what, do this interview with somebody else. >> we were talking about this yesterday on the phone, exactly this -- >> do the interview with somebody else. >> there's nothing we didn't discuss on the phone, donald. >> "do it with somebody else." trump has tweeted about fake news almost 200 times, more than russia, isis, kim jong-un, or putin, which gives you some sense of his personal priorities. at a deeper level donald trump obviously needs the media. he was literally a media professional as an nbc entertainer. and he used to pretend to be his own spokesman to try to get the coverage he craved. >> what's your name again? >> john miller. >> and you work with -- >> yes, that's correct. trump treats everybody well. you know, you don't know him -- >> i have met him. >> he's a good guy and he's not going to hurt anybody. the one article is total
4:54 pm
nonsense. >> have you met him? it's me! you have to have a certain kind of philosophy to pull that off. trump does cite the same media for things he agrees with, but it's never been about truth even before he was in politics. it's about control. and we should all keep that in mind as he attacks the free press. there is something very interesting going on over at "snl" that involves our politics and alec baldwin's impression. that's next. it's absolute confidence in 30,000 precision parts. or it isn't. it's inspected by mercedes-benz factory-trained technicians. or it isn't. it's backed by an unlimited mileage warranty, or it isn't. for those who never settle, it's either mercedes-benz certified pre-owned, or it isn't. the mercedes-benz certified pre-owned sales event. now through may 31st. only at your authorized mercedes-benz dealer.
4:55 pm
fthere's flonase sensimist.f up around pets. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist. i had a very minor fender bender tonight! in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part.
4:56 pm
like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good. i would doubt myself that i could actually quit.
4:57 pm
that i could climb that hill and get over it. i really honestly don't believe i could have done it without chantix. along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. chantix reduced my urge to smoke. when you try to quit smoking, with or without chantix, you may have nicotine withdrawal symptoms. some people had changes in behavior or thinking, aggression, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, or suicidal thoughts or actions with chantix. serious side effects may include seizures, new or worse heart or blood vessel problems, sleepwalking or allergic and skin reactions which can be life-threatening. stop chantix and get help right away if you have any of these. tell your healthcare provider if you've had depression or other mental health problems. decrease alcohol use while taking chantix. use caution when driving or operating machinery. the most common side effect is nausea. it feels so good to say, "i'm a non-smoker." ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. many insurance plans cover chantix for a low or $0 copay.
4:58 pm
"snl" may need a new trump. we last saw alec baldwin in the season finale when robert de niro was on his case as mueller. >> it does crash every weekend you have with your kids. and the -- it's, you know -- i enjoy doing it, but what's going to happen in the future, i don't know where i'm going to be. who knows what's going to happen. >> if you say -- >> they should get somebody who can do it all the time.
4:59 pm
>> someone else who can do it all the time, sounds like he might be ready to retire his trump. >> this is michael cohen. are you alone? >> yes. >> and what are you wearing? [ laughter ] >> it is such an honor, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule. >> yes. i'm so busy. if you're wondering why i'm so out of breath it's because i'm doing my p-90-x morning exercises right now. right now i'm getting my daily intelligence briefing. >> oh, from who? >> from you guys. >> can i have my desk back? >> yes, of course, mr. president, i'll go sit at my teske. desk. >> -- can't deny you coverage because of a pre-existing condition. number two, no lifetime limits which is a big deal if you have serious health problems. and number three -- sorry -- >> vladamir, i'm sorry, i didn't know you were coming so i do not
5:00 pm
have a gift for you. >> please, mr. trump, you are the gift. >> alec baldwin has been a gift for many during these times. we'll see what he utley decides. i'll be back here monday night, 6:00 p.m. eastern. we have a special on the mueller probe. i'm joy reid in for lawrence o'donnell. we have breaking news on the russia investigation. it will likely cause concern inside the white house and the family of trump. michael isikoff of yahoo! news, the headline gets straight to the point. "trump's son should be concerned." fbi obtained wiretaps of a putin ally who met with trump jr. isikoff reports the fbi obtained secret wiretaps collected by spanish police of conversations involving alexan

31 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on