Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  June 2, 2018 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
that is our broadcast for a friday night and this week. good night from our headquarters here in new york. it was a very interesting letter. >> president trump agrees to meet an adversary without precondition. >> i haven't seen the letter yet. i purposely didn't open the letter >> while spurning america's allies. >> there are allies but they take advantage of us economically. >> tonight how donald trump is turning america's relationship with the world upside down. then. >> it's important that were serving in this capacity that everyone is a good steward of taxpayer money. >> the new propaganda push to save scott pru night scott pru sit standing strong in his job. >> plus, new evidence of a russian attempt to hack state voter systems. and rebecca traister on the glaring difference between samantha bee and roseanne barr. >> americans are finally paying attention.
12:01 am
>> when "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes was two big foreign policy moves just today, the president is turning away from the western democracies that have for decades been america's closest allies, aligning the u.s. instead with autocrats and strongmen who practice the type of leadership ha this president admires. in the process he is reshaping our relationship to the rest of the world. the president announced today his june 12th summit is back on fulfilling a long time goal. a meeting with the u.s. president without securing concessions in return. the announcement came after the president welcomed a top aide of kim jong-un to the white house later brag together press corps about their strong relationship. >> it was actually very interesting because this was literally going to be the delivery of a letter and it ended up being a two-hour conversation with the second most powerful nan north korea.
12:02 am
i think the relationship we have right now with north korea is as good as it's been in a long time. they had no relationship under the previous administration. there was nothing. >> it's a slightly strange attitude it might seem to have about one of the world's most repressive regimes. if you paid attention you know the president has a certain respect for kim jong-un. >> this guy, this -- he's like a maniac. okay? and you got give him credit. how many young guys, he was like 26 or 25 when his father died, take over these tough generals and all of a sudden, it's amazing when you think of it. how does he do that even though it's a cultural thing, he goes in and takes over and he's the boss. it's incredible. ip wiped out the uncle, this one, that one. this guy doesn't play games. >> killing everybody, tip your hat to him. the president similar regard for putin, duterte, erdogan, even
12:03 am
saddam hussein who got a frequent shoutout on the campaign trail. at the same time he's embracing closer relations with dictators, the president is systematically ereading the united states most important alliances. at midnight last night, new steel and aluminum tariffs went in against canada, mexico, and the european union. >> they cannot believe they've gotten away with this for so many decades. they're our allies but they take advantage of us economically. i think we have a good chance of doing some great trade deals that will make america great again, right. >> >> u.s. allies strongly condemned the move and raising the prospect of a damaging trade war. justin trudeau slammed the tariffs in a new interview with nbc's chuck todd. >> the idea that our soldiers who had fought and died together on the beaches of world war ii
12:04 am
and the mountains of afghanistan and have stood shoulder to shoulder in some of the most difficult places in the world that are always there for each other somehow this is insulting to them. the idea that the canadian steel that's in military vehicles in the united states, the canadian aluminum that makes you fighter jets is somehow now a threat, the fact that -- next week we're hosting the g-7 summit of world leaders and the airfield the military base that air force one is going to land in was put there in world war ii to protect an alup numb smelter that was providing to the military effort. the idea that we are somehow a national security threat to the united states is quite frankly insulting and unacceptable. >> the new tariffs come exactly one year since the president announced plans to withdraw from the paris climate agreement about the u.s. is now the only nation on earth to reject the climate pact.
12:05 am
the tariffs come a few weeks since the president butted out of the iran nuclear deal. days later, the president of the european council wrote looking at the latest decisions of donald trump, someone could think with friends like that, who needs enemies. to help break down the way president trump is changing the american role in the world, ted lieu. first i guess your reaction to when's tariffs do to america's relationship with some of its closest allies. >> thank you, chris, for your question. it's clear that donald trump is much more comfortable with autocrats and nondemocracies such as russia and china. at the same time, offending our own allies such as canada, mexico, and then the entire european union. what's disturbing there doesn't seem to be any long-term strategic policy. the president wakes up one day and says he's going to do tariffs. a few days later he's going to exempt all these countries. it's very erratic and making
12:06 am
allies think we are unable partner and that is not helpful to the united states. >> one thing here, just to be clear on there. the reason justin trudeau referenced this. it's important for people to understand what's going on here. the reason that the executive, the white house, the article two branch of the constitution can unilaterally impose these tariffs is under a national security provision. so the logic that must follow is that there might be a war with canada in which we couldn't use their steel and aluminum. and is there any person in the world who thinks that is true? >> not at all. and in fact, the law was put in place to deal with situations that look nothing like this one. canada is one of america's oldest and strongest al plinz by the way, the president just makes things up. he keeps saying somehow canada is taking advantage of the united states. the u.s. actually has a $13 billion trade surplus with canada. we wrote a letter to u.s. trade representative who actually says
12:07 am
the u.s. has a trade surplus with canada. we asked the trade representative to say that's not true. he has done that. we're going to assume that is still a true fact. >> right. so first of all, we have a trade surplus with canada. we're not going to go to war with them and not use their aluminum and steel. the question is, congress should wrench back the power. honestly, this seems an obvious abbro integrationgation of congressional power here. >> you have bipartisan outrage against what donald trump is doing. speaker ryan, mitch mcconnell, a number of democrats have all said this is stupid the way that the president is doing this. and we know it's really quite insane when both u.s. steel companies and u.s. steelworkers oppose the tariffs on canada and then the aluminum association opposes trump's tariffs on aluminum against these other countries. there's no one supporting these tariffs. >> that's a good point. we had leo juriard who is a supporter of the idea of tariffs
12:08 am
on imports of metals from china even he opposes tariffs on canada. there is no one as far as i can tell aside from literally the president of the united states making the case for that. >> absolutely true. something else to consider, i don't think the president understands that the world order that was created as dominating the world and the economy benefits the united states. we're at the center of it as are western democracies. when we don't work with allies, countries like russia and china are happy about that. it's already pushed other countries who were our allies to work with countries like china and russia. japan and china have now held their first trade talks in over eight years precisely because japan views america as an unreliable partner. >> putin critic garry kasparov tweeting i gave putin's wish list to explain weather most wanted from trump. trump blew it up, a trade war with nato allies was number two.
12:09 am
thank you for joining me. >> for more on the president's turn away from american allies i'm joined by ambassador wendy sherman, and former congressman mickey edwards hods represented oklahoma as a republican. >> wendi, i want your reaction to watching what happened at the white house today where the president rolls out the red carpet for a representative of north korea which again, peace talks and north korea seem like substantively might be the right thing to do on the same day he's declaring a trade war against our closest allies. >>ive deed. i just returned this afternoon from europe. my last stop was in paris. and we heard from the french finance minister that the g-7 that comes up theth and 9th of june is really a g-6 plus one with the u.s. being the outlier. i would not be surprised if the president doesn't go to the g-7 in canada but sends vice president pence instead. he'll probably say he has to get ready for the singapore summit
12:10 am
and how can he face all of these folks in canada? i've got to tell you, i was in europe as these tariffs came through. and people were just gobsmacked and ready to retaliate because they've just had enough. >> that's interesting. there's also mickey, it seems to me a kind of dispositional aspect to there. president really has affection for strong men. this is a consistent part of his personality. i want to play a little bit of sound of him praising them and get your reaction how that's orienting american policy at the moment. take a lis. >> and i think i would have a very, very good relationship with putin and i think i would have a very, very good relationship with russia. the man has very strong control over a country. it's a very different system and i don't happen to like the system. but certainly in that system, he's been a leader far more than our president has been a leader. >> china's great and xi is a great gentleman. he's now president for life. president for life.
12:11 am
no, he's great. and look, he was able to do that. i think it's great. maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day. >> saddam hussein was a bad guy. right? he was a bad guy. really bad guy. but you know what he did well? he killed terrorists. he did that so good. they didn't read him the rights. they didn't talk. they were a terrorist. it was over. >> what do you think of that, mickey? >> well, he killed terrorists. he also killed his own people. you know, donald trump has a love for authoritarian because he is an au toretarian. he thinks you're supposed to i have an strong man at the top and that strong man makes decisions and you're supposed to carry them out or who knows what will happen. he seemed very happy with the way the people who were not on board got dealt with in north korea. but you know, the problem, chris, is not just what the president's doing. i was listening to the segment with ted where you were talking
12:12 am
about it. he was talking about the fact that the president is unpredictable and it's not a good policy and all these people are against it including republicans, as well. but that's not the point. you know, the constitution very clearly says article one, section 8, subsection 3, the congress is in charge of regulating foreign commerce. all of our commerce with other nations. so it's congress not doing its job, not just donald trump. >> wendi, i keep thinking about this point which there's a fundamental problem which is democratic qualities in the g-7 countries have to respond to domestic public opinion as opposed to donald trump. they don't like donald trump. places like turkey or saudi arabia or russia or china don't have to do that. there's like a structural advantage to nondemocracies in sort of bribing and flattering this president. >> indeed.
12:13 am
i think people have seen if you just give him a little sugar, it goes a very long way. i think the other thing we're seeing here, chris, is he's really trying to do a little bit of a kamikaze kind of act here. i think he believes if he puts pressure on europe that europe will then follow through on sanctions on iran but what he doesn't understand is europe has leverage, as well. he's not the only one who has leverage. i think the europeans will retaliate. the next time he needs europe, europe will be slow to cop forward. it's interesting as much as he hates multilateralism and the oecd meet wig just happened in paris, indeed the u.s. said don't want that word anywhere in the communique. he's using multilateralism in this summit in singapore. it wouldn't be happening without south korea or china. wouldn't be happening without japan. >> mickey, there's the fact there's going to be economic effects of this. cnbc did analysis of the ways in
12:14 am
which the savings from the tax cut which pore working people is already quite quite slender will be entirely eaten up if the retaliatory tariffs go into effect. >> chris, in 1930, we imposed the smoot/haully tariffs that resulted in cutting u.s. exports to other countries by more than half. and they made the great depression even worse. you know, these other countries aren't going to just sit there and take it. so they may be our alliance. they may be our friends but they also care about their own citizens and their own economy. and think are going to retaliate. it's not going to be you know, donald trump's going to get hurt. it's americans who work in a factors factories across the country. >> every politician has their own factories. >> great to have you both. >> thank you, chris.
12:15 am
>> still ahead, audacious piece of prop gan dab rolled out at local news stations across the country to stave scott pruitt. first a look at new evidence showing exactly how russia tried to hack into actual voting systems in 2016. we've got the actual e-mail here in two minutes.
12:16 am
12:17 am
schumer and i sent a letter to the secretaries of state before the election saying heads up, be on the watchout. something's happening. guard your data. we all knew this before the election. we all knew russia was trying to meddle with our election. >> view of the party leaders has been russia was determined to interfere in the 2016 election. we have an example what one of those looked like. here's an e-mail published by the sir september that they used to try to break into state voting is systems appeared to be from an election vendor and came
12:18 am
with a word attachment that when open would give russian hackers control over the computer in question. whether they succeeded in changing data inside the systems, that's a question for the person who broke the story. reporter sam biddle whose story was published today, and malcolm nance terrorism analyst and author of "the plot to hack america." first, sam, talk what you found and what the significance is. >> right off the bat, the e-mail is amazingly simple. it's only a couple lines of text coming from a g mail account which isn't exactly the most devious smoke and mirrors approach. but i think most troubling was the response from the company vr systems. they aren't really sure who opened this e-mail and whether it worked which is two years after the fact not what you want to hear. >> meaning this got sent out to a bunch of state election systems. >> correct. >> we know that for a fact? >> the nsa assessed it was well over a hundred. >> we don't know who opened.
12:19 am
>> correct. >> i guess i want some definitive ruling. there's always the reporting where they attempted to gain entry into state voter files. i also want a definitive ruling, were they successful? do we have an answer to that? >> no, it's been two years since this happened. almost two years. it will be two years in november. >> malcolm that strikes me as remarkable. >> it's remarkable because everyone refuses to do an audit on their systems after that election. look, i got into an exchange with the former florida state secretary of state when i made the assertion that florida's subcontractor had apparently been one of these systems that was penetrated. and they denied it. i mean hard. but so long as you're denying it, you will assume nothing is wrong. we have to assume from a counter intelligence and counter cyber warfare perspective that
12:20 am
something happened and it needs to be collected. >> yeah. i guess the other issue is here like this is just phishing e-mail. >> the same kind someone would use to get your youtube or netflix log in or your bank bank account. >> pretty simple stuff can have big effects. this is the john podesta phishing e-mail. hi, john, someone tried to use your google account. change your password immediately. that's what led to the. >> the simple ones work. >> which is another reason to think someone clicked on that malware. >> we would love to know the answer. >> i guess i feel like this is a more urgent question than it's been treated, malcolm. were state voter systems compromised and by who? do people still have access to them? was any data within them changed. >> there are no answers and they don't want to have answers.
12:21 am
we're about to go into an election season with the exact same systems in place with also you have to remember you have half a country that doesn't believe any of this took place and has no legitimacy. so we're in trouble. >> yes, i think something that was telling when i went to vr systems, the vendor in question. >> they service election software. >> yeah, they service a handful of states including swing states like virginia and north carolina. he when i went to them toe ask about the e-mail, they put me in touch with beak a pr person. there's a lot of face saving going on. that's plane why we're not getting answers here. vr systems is a business. they're not accountable to voters. >> is there oversight in place from a computer and tech security standpoint to make sure malcolm used the word audit. is there some protocol in place, have states implemented something to make sure the security on these systems meets
12:22 am
some set of standards? >> there is nothing nationally done in a rigorous manner. i think a lot of this is left to the states and the individual counties to do their best on a county by county basis. but that's clearly lacking because we still don't have answers in june, 2018. >> there's also malcolm, it seems to me the vulnerabilities are pretty obvious just because the way american voting works is if you want to help one side or the other, you kind of can know which precincts to go after and mess with. >> that's true. but you have to understand that the american system of voting is actually very, very difficult to get to hack in one particular space. i mean, there are systems used every county, every precinct can use a different system. you notice they went after voter registration. we first heard the story about 20 months ago. i immediately recognized the threat. they don't have to actually hack the voter tallies. they can disqualify people every coming to the polls.
12:23 am
and disenfranchise tens of thousands of people if they wanted to by simply changing your zip code. >> you're shaking your head. >> it's completely right. a lot of people think of the great cyber threat to voting as ballot stuffing, digital ballot stuffing. > or changing yeses to noes. >> all you need to do is make it hard to get -- to cast your ballot. if your name isn't on the list inexplicably, the whole system is going to get gummed up and you may not get to vote that day. >> the point i was making is that the way american voting works is you could pick 100 precincts in virginia where you know if you knock out 10% of the names you're knocking out republican or democratic voters because of the clustering of voters that. >> that could be just as effective is preventing votes from being cast in the first place. >> if you could wave a magic wand, what would you do here? >> i would have a giant national public/private partnership where we took the threat seriously where we used the 2016 model and
12:24 am
extrapolate all of those little probe scans and attempts are part of a large scale foreign adversary active measure. and then we would attack it directly. >> sam biddle and malcolm nance, thanks for joining us. up next, the trimp world defense of scott pruitt. the local news stations were forced to run it. >> these distractions, these issues that we've dealt with largely i think have emanated from the great work we've been doing. >> here's the bottom line. scott pruitt is standing strong in his job. defense of scott pruitt. jimmy (shouting): james! he's survived record rain and a supplier that went belly up. so while he's proud to have helped put a roof over the heads of hundreds of families, he's most proud of the one he's kept over his own. brand vo: get the most out of your money, whether you're using quickbooks smart invoicing to get paid twice as fast or automatically tracking your mileage.
12:25 am
smarter business tools for the world's hardest workers. quickbooks. backing you.
12:26 am
ithe race for governort. has turned into a scam. gavin newsom's trying to elect a republican who was endorsed by trump. and villaraigosa's being bankrolled
12:27 am
by a handful of billionaires. it's everything that's wrong with politics. and none of it is helping struggling families. here's my pledge to you. i'll keep our budget balanced. invest in affordable housing. fight for universal healthcare. and stand up to donald trump. as governor, you can trust me to do what's right- because i always have. a crazy bit of breaking news.
12:28 am
scott pru sit still employed. he remains in his position as administrator of the epa despite 129 separate federal investigations and an almost comical mountain of evidence of corruption and shady dealing. the president who campaigned on a message of drain the swamp because he said the crowds liked it when he said that, now says pruitt has his full confidence. this week sinclair broadcasting stepped in to help. boris epstein conducted an interview with pruitt it would almost be hilarious if so many television stations hadn't been forced to run it. here's a portion of that two-minute piece. >> epa administrator scott pruitt has dealt with his share of controversies in his time at the agency. the criticisms have centered on pay raises for his subordinates and alleged misuse of taxpayer funds to pay for travel and security. here's what administrator pruitt had to say. >> well, look, i care so much about taxpayer money it's what
12:29 am
i've done historically when i served at the state level. it's important to serve in this capacity that everyone is a good steward of taxpayer money but these distractions, these issues that we've dealt with largely i think have emanated from the great work we've been doing. so i'm trying to learn from there process and make sure the agency applies different collection and balances in the future but continue to focus on getting results at the same time. >> making some of those changes to make sure there's more oversight. >> absolutely. we should. >> here's the bottom line, scott pruitt is standing strong in his job. >> you got that everyone. >> according to media matters the interview was aired in two short segments, the first one ran at 35u6r news stations in 20 states and the seconds will be shown at stations around the country. allison cory zone, and a former white house liaison for president obama join me now. it is like there's a way in which it's prop gan distick as at the time particularly.
12:30 am
but this is going out all over the place, right. >> that's why i think everyone should beware of sinclair. most people still trust their local news. it's insidious when they're running segments like that. the consumers of it are not assuming that boris epstein is connected to the trump campaign and in many ways that could be their first exposure to scott pruitt or their most significant exposure to his long history of scandals. that's why it's so insidious and damaging. >> dan as a former person who worked in this space in the obama administration what, goes through your mind when you read about pruitt. >> i wish i could say it was prizing when the $1500 fountain pens but it's par for the course. a.p. reporters were kicked out of a safe drinking water summit while the pay raises mentioned in the story were given to
12:31 am
employees who were supposed to be experts in the field positions given to the epa as part of the safe water drinking act and instead used to give $30,000, $40,000 raises for his folks from oklahoma because he wants to the reward his political people to help him advance his career. it's troubling when flint drinking water is still not safe now. >> to the dan's point, there's another foy yao request that unearthed 12 silver fountain pens that came in at the low low price of $1,560 for the 12 fountain pens, about 130 bucks a pop. i wrote that down. there's a connection between the president and pruitt. pru sit kind of a mini trump in this respect. what trump is showing is that you just, if you're shapeless enough and you just stay at it, political, legal, and media problems can just be staved off. >> if you repeat your message often enough to a friendly
12:32 am
outliers let, the truth starts to dissipate. i'll tell you something about the pens. $1300 pens. you might think what a waste of taxpayer money. what pruitt can use them for ably is to hand them to his friends like the lobbyist whose wife rented him the apartment, his firm needed to update their disclosure firms. will he lobbied the epa or the staffer who pruitt arguably ought to pay for working on government time your taxpayer dollars and mine to help him with real estate. three senators have asked account inspector general to look into that. pens are more practical than you might think. >> yes, he should hand it to steven hart. this came out today, steven hart whose wife ren aid condo to scott pruitt and who said no business before the agency no, business before the agency. score up and down everyone swore up and down and told us they released statement after statement saying no business. guess what, you'll never guess what. they had business before the agency. scotts pruitt, they lobbied the
12:33 am
agency for three clients contradicting his claim he hadn't represented clients during the trump administration pruitt never has to answer a question on that because he will only go to friendly outliers lets. >> and that actually underscores not only how corrupt pruitt is but how prop gan distick this segment was. in his first year, scott pruitt did 16 interviews with fox news. 16. seven with on cable on all the other cable news channels more than twice as much as anywhere else and did he an interview with ed henry. all fox news did was ask him about in some of the 42 scandals and instances of ethd cal corruption and he didn't do any news media for two months and pops up on sinclair because that's the only place willing to do the kind of sanitizing for him. the only ones that won't ask him the basic questions about his
12:34 am
scandals. he's too toxic for even fox. >> ed hen rid did go after him a little bit. dan, do you have faith? there's a bunch of these investigations, some happening at the congressional level and some at the ig's office. clearly the people in the building have turned gins him. do you have faith we'll see some accountability. >> i think there might be. one, the ig is excellent. that staff is excellent. the career staff at epa are driven by science and the law. that will continue to be a problem for scott pruitt. the biggest problem he has with trump and he is a mini trump and that protects him to a grade degree but the fact that he's not advancing the agenda as much as perhaps the interests of the oil and natural gas industry wanted, they've been sort of blummaly on roll backs on regulations more of an incompetent villain than you would have expected. that could become a problem for him in if trump feels like he's not delivering the clip shots they thought would be easy to get done. >> there's something about quantity for all of pruitt's
12:35 am
attempt to be a mini trump, scandal caused by left wing attention to now outliers dated unnecessary regulations that would protect our environment. as he also points out in the interview, we're doing a great job protecting the environment. and spending taxpayer money wisely. 12 investigations is not bean ball. it's not just the ig. but congress in its own way is sticking on the plan, these three senators who now want to look at the staffers' use of government time. the drum beat is continuing. >> i think there's possible legal exposure in some of the disclosure forms on the lobbyist side which may also catch up to him. i will say that to cap off there day, that there's now a plan circulating in the trump administration that comes out of the department of energy to mandate the company to buy energy from coal companies to keep them afloat to bail out coal like i lynn dra for coal basically. that is possibly going forward which is beak the apotheosis of
12:36 am
all the policy rationales someone like pruitt still has the job he has. thank you. >> all right. still to cop, the difference between roseanne barr and samantha bee is that samantha bee was right. kind of says that coming up. first tonight's thing 1, thing 2 is next.
12:37 am
12:38 am
12:39 am
12:40 am
thing 1 tonight, president trump is on a nonstop crusade to discredit the mueller investigation. today he introduced a new line of attack tweeting a.p. has just reported the russia hoax investigation has now cost our government over $17 million and going up fast. it's $16.7 million but rounding up is fine. that is a big hunk of change. you could buy this nice private jet, still have a few million over or this luxury estate in the bahamas, boat not included or if you're president trump could you golf a handful of times. that's thing 2 in 60 seconds.
12:41 am
during the 2016 campaign, donald trump loved to attack barack obama about his golfing. >> you need leadership. you can't fly to la to play golf. obama it was recover theed today played 250 rounds of golf. >> obama went golfing every day. >> goff, golf, golf, golf. more, more. learning how to chip, learning how to hit the drive, learning how to putt. i want more.
12:42 am
>> if you become president and you go to the white house, why would you want to leave the white house? whether he you're in the white house, who the hell wants to play golf. >> if i get elected president, i'm going to be in the white house a lot. i'm not leaving. >> okay, now trump's hypocrisy on this issue has been well documented on the show for one. as much as they try to pretend he's been working there have been 56 confirmed outings since he was elected. that's fine but when you're complaining about the cost of the mueller investigation, consider every time trump zips to florida for a golf outing it costs the government $1 million. every time. don't forget the nearly $150,000 it the secret service has to pay to you rent golf carts from trump's clubs. that he money is going straight into trump's pocket which is offensive to the public trust. also, he drives his cart on the greens which is offensive to the game of golf. it's almost like he didn't mean anything he said in that campaign.
12:43 am
>> waste, fraud and abuse all over the place. waste, fraud and abuse. waste, fraud and abuse. we will cut so much your head will spin.
12:44 am
12:45 am
12:46 am
you remember i'm sure when four american citizens died in benghazi, libya in september, 2012. and congressional republicans and really members of both parties pursued not fewer than eight different investigations.
12:47 am
and that included a special committee that was convened that lasted two and a half years longer than the watergate committee and as long as almost any special committee in american history. that was over those four american deaths. after almost 3,000 people died on september 11th in those attacks 2001 an independent commission produced an exhaustive compelling report on what happened. it took testimony. the nation watched transfixed. the final report was a bestseller. after 2005's devastating hurricane katrina, a bipartisan committee investigated the government's preparation for and response to the storm that killed thousands. and so here's my question for you. and really for everyone in congress and in the u.s. government. is there any conceivable reason whatsoever that the u.s. government should not immediately empanel a special commission to investigate the horrifying catastrophe that was the u.s. response to hurricane maria in puerto rico? as you may have seen this week,
12:48 am
a new harvard study estimates nearly 5,000 people died in puerto rico as a result of that hurricane. 4,645 people. we've been told all this time by the way that it was 64. so why were we told 64 people had died when more people have died than in 9/11 or katrina or applauseply any other american natural disaster since 1900? it would be criminal for our government not to get to the bottom of what happened. we know part of the story. the hurricane wreaked havoc on an island that was ill prepared for this kind of natural disaster leaving thousands without power, or clean water, homes destroyed, streets floodeded and short actions of vital splinz the study found the interruption of medical care was the primary cause of the high number of deaths after maria, deaths that could have perhaps been prevented if only basic utilities had not taken in some cases months to restore. an impartial accounting of what
12:49 am
happened ypd almost 5,000 american citizens died is urgent and necessary. every single congressional representative, democrat, republican, independent should endorse it immediately as soon as they return from recess. not least because today is the first day of hurricane season. and how one has to ask will puerto rico fare if another storm strikes? how many more people will die if we do nothing? dray, when he was younger, he loved to smile; and we knew he would need braces because his teeth were coming in funny. that's when he had the bunny rabbits. we called him the bunny rabbit. now, those are the same two front teeth, there, that they are now. then dray ended up having to wear braces for 5 years because he never made it to appointments, because he was busy playing basketball. if he missed practice, he don't get to play in the game. this is the picture that was on the front page of the newspaper. all you
12:50 am
can notice is the braces! then, once he got to michigan state, he broke the retainer! my bottom teeth, they were really crooked, and i just wasn't getting braces again. smile direct club fits into my lifestyle so well. the liner is so great. it's easy to just grab it and go and then i can change on the road. i did photoshoots with my aligners in and you can't see them. i wish smile direct club would have been around when i was paying for them. i wouldn't have to take him out of school. i wouldn't have had missed work. it's like a great feeling to have good teeth. a smile is a first impression, that's why i think having a great smile is so important.
12:51 am
12:52 am
on tuesday roseanne barr's racist tweet got her show immediately canceled. one day later comedian samantha bee used a vulgarity to refer to ivanka trump, prompting the white house to condemn bee in the strongest terms, even as they largely gave barr a pass, not surprisingly. in a statement sarah huckabee sanders said, "the language use the by samantha bee last night is vile and vicious.
12:53 am
the collective silence by the left and its media allies is appalling. her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast and executives at time warner and tbs must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network." joining me now, rebecca traceter, a writer at large at new york magazine who wrote about her very different opinion from the white house on this subject. rebecca, what is the thrust of your feeling on this entire thing? >> well, i mean, this is an administration that is always seeking to portray itself as being persecuted, right? so in sarah huckabee sanders, i liked her dramatic rendition of it in her sort of, you know, all of the fulminating about, you know, the injury that has been done to ivanka trump and to this administration. there is the seeking to portray themselves as the powerless entity when in fact the bit that samantha bee was doing on "full frontal" was very sharp and yes, very vulgarly worded critique of
12:54 am
the trump -- the horrific, vile, vicious, to use some of sarah huckabee sanders' adjectives, policy of separating immigrants from their children, in many cases asylum seekers if their young children, from often their babies. it was an incredibly powerful critique of ivanka -- of that policy and of ivanka trump's social media performance around that policy which involved her posting a picture of her happily embracing her young son. a total sort of horrifying contrast to the kinds of images that were in the press in the same time period. that was ivanka trump's choice to post that -- the social media picture, and it was samantha bee's picture to go after her for it very hard. and she did use a word that has misogynistic roots that is often used, you know, as a sort of -- in a way to disparage and
12:55 am
diminish women and insult them. but she used it actually to critique a woman who herself is working in support of the kind of white patriarchal power that is causing actual grievous physical emotional, familial, economic harm to women and their families and their children. of course many of whom are not white. >> am i wrong, though, that -- my feeling on this is basically i hate that word generally, i really think it was a bad idea to use that word, i'm glad she apologized. it's bad. you're bad, throw a flag, penalty, apologize for your use of the word. or do you think that's just justifiable in context? >> well, you know, here's the thing. i actually have some personal affection for that word, but i try not to use it because i understand that it offends people and that it has been wielded to do damage to women. i understand a feminist critique of that word, a feminist objection to samantha bee using
12:56 am
it, and i think she's acknowledged that. by the way, let me just say, that is a word that donald trump is alleged to have used -- >> oh, yeah. >> -- three times that we know of. once again sally yates, once against a reporter who was reporting on his financial dealings, and then once according to the woman who came forward and said that he groped her on a plane many years ago, when he saw her later at a party he said oh, you're that c word from the plane. right? so as long as he's out there tweeting this morning, by the way, about how that language was so vulgar and it should get samantha bee fired, which by the way as the president is a first amendment violation -- >> creepy and authoritarian. >> to suggest the firing -- talk about a power abuse. but this is also a word and language that he has reportedly trafficked in. >> totally. >> many times before. and again, in service of exactly how that word has been used to do damage historically, the misogynistic and sexist reading
12:57 am
of it. >> yeah. >> which is patriarchal power used to diminish and hurt women. that's how donald trump has reportedly deployed it in the past against women who've challenged him or rejected him. samantha bee, a feminist comedian, was using it to attack a power abuse, a woman who was participating in that patriarchal and racist power abuse that is being undertaken via the policies of her father's administration. and it's not just her father. she works in the administration. she has full security clearance. this is not -- i see people online saying oh, if it were chelsea. if chelsea had full security clearance and was working as an adviser in her parents' administration, then there would be a comparison. ivanka trump is a representative of donald trump's administration. and so when she is posting that image in the midst of a news cycle about his incredibly barbaric and horrifying immigration practices, she is subject to critique.
12:58 am
>> oh, yes. >> and yes, the word may have gone too far. it is a word that has been used on that show before. samantha bee has used it before. no one has gone nuts about it. >> that's interesting. yeah. i guess my only point is precisely what you said. the fact that donald trump is the kind of person who deploys that word about women is precisely the reason that i have the feelings about that word. like for exactly the reasons you're saying, right? that is exactly why. and obviously, it's being used differently here. that is the reason why that word i just feel like -- >> and of course there is a history in fact of people who take language, reappropriate it, people who have been damaged. representatives. people who've been damaged by words taking them, reappropriating them, deploying them in sort of transgressive ways rather than oppressive ways. and that's part of what samantha bee was doing, not just the other night but has done in the past by reappropriating that word. again, she's used it before. >> that's a good point.
12:59 am
>> and she is a known feminist comedian who is operating on behalf of women challenging patriarchal and racist power abuses. that doesn't -- i'm not saying good on her for using the word. i agree with you that it was a mistake. in part, as she herself said, there were reports of a speech she gave i believe last night in which she said look, we spent this whole day talking about this bad word and not about the terrible policy. so i think strategically it was an error. and i understand why some people feel that it was, you know, a feminist error too. you know, but that's part of what she's doing. there is a history of taking words that have been used as weapons against less powerful people and wielding them against the powerful who have used them. and that's part of the tradition that samantha bee was working in. >> rebecca traister, thank you so much. >> thank you. >> before we go, a reminder our new podcast "why is this happening" is live and available wherever you get your podcasts. makes for some good weekend listening. lots of really fun interesting episodes posted and a great one,
1:00 am
a really important one about the issue we were just discussing, child separation happening at the border with mexico, it's coming soon. that is "all in" for this evening. ♪ this is a tragedy on top of a tragedy now. >> it happened so quickly. their parents in the backyard spa. their mom in trouble. >> my dad just panicked. >> a sudden slip. a fatal fall. >> you're losing your mother. you're watching her go right in front of you. >> someone else was watching her too. a curious neighbor just moments before witnessed something astonishing. >> it was scary. the look on his face was almost undescribable. >> what had she seen? was this drowning really an accident? >> she's got a huge gash on her head. something like that is not consistent with just falling down.

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on