Skip to main content

tv   MSNBC Live With Yasmin Vossoughian  MSNBC  June 3, 2018 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
>> that does it for me program i'm david gura. i'll be back next saturday and southbound, @davidg rushgs a between now and then. i hand it over to may colleague yasmin vossoughian. >> have a good time. i'm yasmin vossoughian. how far does the president's power go? rudy giuliani making the case for the leaked memo. president trump cannot be forced to answer questions, cannot obstruct justice and can even pardon himself. the question we've been asking himself, because he's in charge of the justice department and the fbi. plus, if he is subpoenaed his lawyers are ready to fight and are even threatening to take special counsel to court. we may reveal something about donald trump jr. that was denied oath and lots to break down.
1:01 pm
let's get started. >> somebody who wants to question that has a big, big burden. >> do you believe the president has the power to pardon himself? he's not, but he probably does. pardoning himself would just be unthinkable and it would -- it would lead to probably an immediate impeachment. >> there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the president has ever discussed having a pardon of mike flynn, paul manafort or anyone else for that matter. >> you're still recommending he not sit down for the interview. >> jay and i want to keep an open mind and i have to be honest, we're leaning toward not. >> that's where we begin this hour and it's not only about the trump legal strategy revealed in that memo and it's about the potential consequences to donald trump jr. and the memo. trump's lawyers admitted he
1:02 pm
personally dictated the statement about don junior's meeting with russians at trump tower in 2016. wow! something that was previously denied on multiple occasions. my panel to discuss this, aly nistal and glen who retired days ago and you're out here and working on a sunday afternoon and clint watts, msnbc security analyst and former fbi special agent and author of a new book which i think just came out a couple of weeks ago, right? >> last week. >> "messing with the enemy." you've got to read it. >> everybody, let's get started and unbelievable stuff, and i'll start with you, glen, since you just retired out of the gate here. admitting here that -- that the president basically dictated the memo about donald trump jr.'s meeting with trump tower to the new york times here. what do you make of that? >> at first blush, it seems like it might be blockbuster evidence
1:03 pm
and i'm not so sure it is and here's why. because he wasn't president at the trump tower meeting and others provided me information, i took in the information and all i really tried to do was help word smith his statement. i think it's troubling. i think any time we have these flip-flops and we've seen them over and over again that it's reason tbe concerned. i think bob mueller will be extremely interested in it, and however, he's got wiggle room on this one. i want to take a listen to how many times the president's attorneys have denied the fact that he dictated this letter. not only the president's attorney, also sarah huckabee sanders. let's listen and then we'll talk. >> the statement that was released on saturday was released by donald trump jr., and i'm sure in consultation with his lawyers. the president wasn't involved in that. >> i do want to declare that the president wasn't involving in the drafting of the statement and did not issue the statement. it came from donald trump jr. that's what i can tell you. >> that was written by donald trump jr. and i'm sure in consultation with his lawyers.
1:04 pm
>> he certainly didn't dictate, but he -- like i said, he weighed in and offered a suggestion like any father would do. >> three times from jay sekulow. >> lying to the press is not a crime, right? it meanst we shouldn't believe these people anymore about anything, but it's not a crime to lie to the press. i think this is coming out right now because the walls are closing in on trump and he he has to treat truthfully with mueller and the fdny and the other investigator, right? but people like us, he can lie to as much as he wants to and he does. >> do you think that this is because the president feels like the walls are closing in? >> it's better to leak things out now that are true than to do it once you've got to show up in front of director mueller's team and you actually have to provide evidence. i think this has always been the strategy, right? he just changed the message and change the messenger and change where you're giving the message at and you slowly get to the truth and it becomes impossible
1:05 pm
to know what's going on. the first thing that you hear the most is what the public tends to believe and if you want to go out and ask the public they have no idea what the truth is and they only remember where it came first. >> who do you think the 20-page memo benefits the most? is this benefiting mueller, though we know the mueller team does not leak, from what we understand. >> right. >> one thing you've got to admit is the optics don't look good, but the fact is there doesn't seem to be anything illegal done. >> in which regard? >> the drafting of the memo and i was going to, and everyone is known that president trump is getting the memo and everyone is nuts about it, it's still
1:06 pm
nothing illegal and what they're looking for is something illegal so that they can start prosecution. >> if there's nothing illegal about it why lie from the get go? >> because there was something to cover up. there was something to hide. >> why hide anything if you didn't do anything wrong? >> well, because we've heard now time and again because he has absolute pardon power, for example, pardoning somebody can't be evidence of a crime, and because if someone comes to the white house and offers a pardon in exchange for a bribe, and he's entitled to issue a pardon, but i don't think there's anybody at this table or in the country who would conclude it's appropriate. it's not criminal. it may not look illegal on its face, but it the purpose, it's illegal. >> rudy giuliani on this morning with george stephanopoulos, that
1:07 pm
he believes that jay sekulow went the wrong page with the 20-page memo. let's listen to that and then i want your thoughts on it. >> the president was there. he was dealing -- and at first it was all denied and now you're saying that he dictated. >> jay would have to answer that and i've talked to him about it. i think jay was wrong. this is the reason you don't let the president testify. if -- our recollection keeps changing or we're not even asked a question and somebody makes an assumption. >> we're in straight muddy waters. >> that means he's basically saying sekulow was lying because he was wrong in the first place in the 20-page memo. >> i don't know -- >> he's refuting the claims of the person he's representing. >> he's not saying they're lying, they have a difference of opinion and legal strategy. >> don't you think this is why they need one main spokesperson and one main person coming out and talking on the investigation on trump's team? you have different people talking on behalf of the trump
1:08 pm
legal team and now it looks like they're going in different directions. this is confusing. >> my former fbi guy and my former federal prosecutor, is this not a black and white issue? is there a gray to this? why does there even need to be a strategy if there isn't anything wrong? that is what perplexed me. >> have we seen his tax returns? no. it's always push it down the road, agree, disagree and in the meantime, discredit all of the sources and discredit the process before you have to win on the battlefield. this is a delay in action because they do not want the president to go talk to the mueller investigative team. they know it will be a disaster. he is going to be challenged with questions. if he knows giuliani said today, well if it's short. this is not going to be short and just that list of questions that's been leaked out and it would take days. >> they wanted it in writing to submit. they do not want to go up in front of that team and they will not send him in front of the
1:09 pm
team and this is a delay in action and in the meantime when we'll see the same patterns all of the time and discredit witnesses that were involved and discredit the process that was involved and we should have the special counsel into the special counsel. >> that's how he won the election and he discredited it. >> it's normal for somebody under criminal investigation to defend themselves, right? >> of course. >> just because you were innocent doesn't mean you don't have to have the strategy to defend itself. what's not normal here and i feel -- >> there are probably people that are innocent because they don't want to testify because they may incriminate themselves by saying something they didn't necessarily do. >> what's not normal is for our leaders to go on television and go on social media and lie to us to our faces. like, that's what's not normal. the whole, like, i'm going have a criminal defense strategy, that's fine. the whole, like, i'm going to go tell bold-faced lies over and over and over again, just trying to gaslight the entire process, that's what's a bit weird. >> quickly, glen.
1:10 pm
do you see a subpoena in trump's future? >> yes. i agree. the president's lawyers will not let him sit down with mueller's investigators and begin speaking and that's a wise, tactical decision. if i were the president's lawyer i wouldn't let him do that. the next question becomes, how does bob mueller respond? does he issue a subpoena or say i have engaged in such a far-reaching broad investigation, i have enough evidence now i don't even need to secure the president's statement or testimony and that has the fringe benefit of if the benefit complains after bob mueller issues his report or hands down indictments, the president is not going to be heard to complain because he had an opportunity to weigh in and he didn't do that. >> or like bill clinton who was threatened by a possible subpoena that he has them come to the white house for a q and a and they'll set up parameters and four hours and that's all you'll get. >> we're going rights up to the
1:11 pm
supreme court and it might be a good thing for the country because let's get this issue settled. >> much more to talk about and we're only ten minutes into the show. still ahead, delicate diplomacy. different expressions and different approaches. will the outcome with north korea be different or will history repeat itself? that's next. spacious interiors... powerful potential... signature toughness... and one more thing... the world comes with it. the new, reimagined 2019 jeep cherokee. i'm still giving it my best even though i live with a higher risk of stroke due to afib not caused by a heart valve problem. so if there's a better treatment than warfarin, i'm up for that. eliquis. eliquis is proven to reduce stroke risk
1:12 pm
better than warfarin. plus has significantly less major bleeding than warfarin. eliquis is fda-approved and has both. so what's next? seeing these guys. don't stop taking eliquis unless your doctor tells you to, as stopping increases your risk of having a stroke. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily and it may take longer than usual for any bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. eliquis, the number one cardiologist-prescribed blood thinner. ask your doctor if eliquis is what's next for you. kyle, we talked about this. there's no monsters. but you said they'd be watching us all the time. no, no. no, honey, we meant that progressive would be protecting us 24/7. we just bundled home and auto and saved money.
1:13 pm
that's nothing to be afraid of. -but -- -good night, kyle. [ switch clicks, door closes ] ♪ i told you i was just checking the wiring in here, kyle. he's never like this. i think something's goinon at school. -[ sighs ] -he's not engaging.
1:14 pm
>> a letter was given to me by kim jong-un, and that letter was a very nice letter.
1:15 pm
i haven't seen the letter yet. i purposely didn't open the letter. i haven't opened it. >> what? did you catch that? the president contradicting himself? who does that within the span of a few minutes on friday. we finally have an answer. white house officials saying president trump has opened that letter from north korean leader kim jong-un and there are, quote, no surprises. so he has opened the letter, but there is still a huge amount of work to be done ahead of this summit in singapore just nine days away, the countdown continues. the big question, does the white house have a fully thought-out strategy or is the president just winging it as he seemed to be fielding questions about that letter? joining me is professor from tufts university kim lee. i very much appreciate it. >> i'll start with you, sung yung on this. talk to me about the strategy. do you believe the president has a strategy ahead of this meeting with north korea?
1:16 pm
>> i think mostly persons previously who have met with kim the first, the second, and this one the third generational leader when they meet the north korean leader and see that not only is the dictator not a raving lunatic, but has a sense of humor, is self-effacing and self-informed and that they make a deep emotional connection with the korean lead are by virtue of their own empathy, intelligence and charisma. i think mr. trump is moved by h huberus and we have to see, and we have to understand that north korea is very good at weaponizing its own weirdness. on the scorecard over the past 25 years on nuclear diplomacy, i calculate conservatively $20 billion worth of goods, cash included and one by the north
1:17 pm
for team america and its allies, approximately less than nothing nuclear north korea. >> i've heard someone saying weaponizing weirdness and we'll have to put that down in the books, but do you think that the u.s. is being played by north korea right now? >> well, mr. trump has said previously on many occasions that his predecessors have been played, but this is what north korea does. it's very simple. it's a two-act play, provocation and post provocation peace ploy and it always works. in hollywood is f a movie is a g hit it's a sequel. north korea has been seek wal withizing this for decades because it works because what north korea seeks is not a negotiated agreement, not a final resolution, but a protracted negotiation process and the u.s. is walking right into this trap once again. >> so he brings up a really good point, chris, this process. at one point the president said
1:18 pm
he wanted total denuclearization and now it looks as if there's going to be this process and this is exactly what clinton walked into in 1994 and then there was a secret nuclear program in early 2000, thus because the sanctions were placed back on north korea. are we going to be back at the same place we were then? >> we could be. the process has been unbelievable. talking to north korea is far preferably than threatening to rain fire and fury down on the country, but, you know, chris hill, the former negotiator said that this reminded him of speed dating. i think he was being kind. >> does the ambassador do speed dating? i didn't know that. this reminds me of a marx brothers movie. at first you have the president accepting the meeting with no pre-conditions and then you have john bolton on national television saying we want to do the libya model and then the
1:19 pm
president demonstrates that he doesn't know what the libya model is and then he calls off the summit because he's been insulted and now it's back on. so with that kind of process you really have to wonder where we're going to end up at the end of the day. >> and letalk about the intelligence, clint, or lack thereof. from what i understand we don't have the kind of intelligence on north korea that we had in iran. so we won't be able to carry out the type of inspections and look where we are with the iran nuclear deal right now. even if north korea were to promise to denuclearize completely, how do we know that they can follow through with that and that the iaea can get their jobs. >> it's the country where we have the weakest human intelligence resources of any country in the world. we have no other allies or partners that have access to it as we do in other cases when we deal with the countries and so when we look at this, other than secretary of state pompeo, who do we think can go in there and convey a message and how would we ever enforce it?
1:20 pm
this is unlike any other situation that we have in the world, and so imagine when the summit happens, whenever says, both sides have some sort of victory and the real victory will be north korea. >> north korea is basically broke. >> kim jong-un can't pay for his own hotel bill in singapore. >> doesn't want to. >> they're desperate and when china leaned on them to put the sanctions that really put the squeeze on them and you have to look at them from another point of view that they need an influx of money. they need an economy that's going. so what -- even if they come to the table, north korea, kim jong-un will have to go back with his country with just, like, what are they going to do with their economy? >> quickly, though, chris. is an open economy good at maintaining a dictatorship like kim jong-un's? >> i defer to the experts on that. donald trump in advance has
1:21 pm
already made more concessions than anyone else has in the past and he's already given kim a summit meeting and making him equal to trump in some ways and so, you know, he's promised to make north korea rich. what kind of leverage does he have going into this negotiation and what kind of knowledge does he have of where he's trying to go is my question? >> the countdown continues. >> sung yoon-lee, my panel is sticking with me. up next, the trump legal memo arguing that an nbc news interview doesn't prove that he fired comey over russia, but he fired him because he wanted a more thorough investigation. we play the entire exchange coming up next. >> in fact, when i decided to just do it, i said to myself, i said, you know, this russia thing with trump and russia is a made-up story.
1:22 pm
i've been making blades here at gillette for 20 years. i bet i'm the first blade maker you've ever met. there's a lot of innovation that goes into making our thinnest longest lasting blades on the market. precision machinery and high-quality materials from around the world. nobody else even comes close. it's about delivering a more comfortable shave every time. invented in boston, made and sold around the world. now starting at $7.99. gillette. the best a man can get. booking a flight doesn't have to be expensive. just go to priceline. it's the best place to book a flight a few days before my trip and still save up to 40%. just tap and go... for the best savings on flights, go to priceline. and i recently had hi, ia heart attack. it changed my life.
1:23 pm
but i'm a survivor. after my heart attack, my doctor prescribed brilinta. it's for people who have been hospitalized for a heart attack. brilinta is taken with a low-dose aspirin. no more than 100 milligrams as it affects how well brilinta works. brilinta helps keep platelets from sticking together and forming a clot. in a clinical study, brilinta worked better than plavix. brilinta reduced the chance of having another heart attack... ...or dying from one. don't stop taking brilinta without talking to your doctor, since stopping it too soon increases your risk of clots in your stent, heart attack, stroke, and even death. brilinta may cause bruising or bleeding more easily, or serious, sometimes fatal bleeding. don't take brilinta if you have bleeding, like stomach ulcers, a history of bleeding in the brain, or severe liver problems. slow heart rhythm has been reported. tell your doctor about bleeding new or unexpected shortness of breath any planned surgery, and all medicines you take. if you recently had a heart attack, ask your doctor if brilinta is right for you. my heart is worth brilinta. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
1:24 pm
i'm all-business when i, travel... even when i travel... for leisure. so i go national, where i can choose any available upgrade in the aisle - without starting any conversations- -or paying any upcharges. what can i say? control suits me. go national. go like a pro.
1:25 pm
californians are leading against donald trump. our senator should, too. kevin de león is the only candidate for senate who passed laws protecting immigrants from trump... and helped dreamers stay in school. he led bold action against climate change. and only de león fought for universal, medicare for all. democrat kevin de león the only true progressive for senate. change california now is responsible for the content of this advertising. he made a recommendation and regardless of recommendation i was going to fire comey knowing there was no good time to do it, and in fact when i decided to just do it, i said to myself, i
1:26 pm
said, you know, this russia thing with trump and russia is a made-up story. >> oh, here we go. you probably heard that sound bite a lot lately, many have pointed to that comment, this russia thing from the nbc news interview with lester holt as proof the president fired jim comey to stop the russia probe. yesterday "the new york times" reporting on a confidential memo trump's lawyers sent to special counsel. his legal team claiming the president's words in that nbc interview were, quote, mischaracterized and it is, quote, important to present the exchange in its entirety. they say the full exchange made it clear that he was willing and even expecting to let the investigation take more time, and i just want to be clear with everybody, nbc and msnbc have played this full exchange many times before, but i want to play the full answer picking up where the first sound bite left off. watch this. >> russia is a made-up story, it's an excuse by the democrats for having lost an election that
1:27 pm
they should have won and the reason they should have won it is the electoral college is almost impossible for a republican to win. very hard because you start off at such a disadvantage. so everybody was thinking they should have won the election. this was an excuse for having lost an election. >> are you angry with mr. comey because of his russia investigation? >> i just want somebody that's competent. i am a big fan of the fbi. i love the fbi. >> were you a fan of him taking up that investigation? >> i think that about the hillary clinton investigation? >> about the russia investigation, and possible links between -- >> let me tell you, as far as i'm concerned i want that thing to be absolutely done properly. when i did this now i said i probably, maybe will confuse people, maybe i'll expand that and i'll lengthen the time. in my opinion, it should have been over with a long time ago because all it is is an excuse,
1:28 pm
but i said to myself i might lengthen out the investigation. but i have to do the right thing for the american people. >> i have to say, thematically, overall, if we look at that exchange overall, it seemed as though for the most part, russia, and blaming the russia investigation for the reason in which he was firing jim comby and he did at one point say and he pointed out in the 20-page memo that he fired jim comey because he wanted someone competent at the head of of the fbi. what is your overall feeling from this, glen, your takeaway? did the meeting characterize it th this way with lester holt? >> it is hard to mischaracterize when you see the president's words on state. let me go into wiggle room. >> such a lawyers. >> spending the last few years in courtrooms, and i'm looking to parse those words and see what they really mean, but when he said, listen, i thought the
1:29 pm
russia thing was a made-up thing. if i'm a defense attorney i would argue that because he believed there was nothing to the russian investigation or the allegation, it didn't factor into his decision because he thought it was a fiction. the prosecutor in me would rather be on the side of concluding that, you know what? he was driven by the russia investigation. i'm just playing devil's advocate. >> i don't think there's any wiggle room here. as jean luc picard might say there are four lights. trump said on television why he fired comey, to go back and say he fired comey for a completely different reason doesn't hold water. if trump's lawyers want us to look at the whole context of trump's actions and that means we have to look at the entire context of his actions with regard to russia which shows consistent attempts to
1:30 pm
co-opportunity jeff sessions, to fire andrew mccabe. he's done numerous things beyond that interview if they wanted to look beyond that interview that suggests that he has been trying to obstruct justice with regard to the investigation into russia's meddling in o election. >> this is all about the public perception. >> right. >> and let's remember, he makes the statement in may. what happened before this? general flynn? he makes a phone call and then he lies about it and then he's fired. we have a meeting in trump tower. the president, you know, started the first block on the show today, and what does he try to do? he tries to change the narrative, do the russians have dirt and is it about the magnitsky act and it's about child adoptions from russia. no, it wasn't. that pattern when combined with the president's own statements is a damning pattern and he's gone after every single person and it's a pattern of obstruction and it's the most damning. >> go ahead, chris.
1:31 pm
>> it wasn't just russia because reince priebus told me and it was in the chapter of my paperback, priebus told me it was visceral with trump. >> he couldn't stand comby and part of it was because he thought comey was a show boat. this town isn't big enough for the two of us. >> that's not illegal. >> of course, not. again, when you look at what he said to lester holt, anyone with any common sense knows that russia was foremost in his mind and he didn't like comey. >> does mueller see right through this and do they have it in their hands? >> do you think you know they see right through this thing? >> i think they throw it to the side and continue on with their investigations and i don't think the former fbi director reads and watches television or reads the snurp, for the most part, and he probably, day to day is monitoring the investigation and
1:32 pm
it was a great point that glenn made before, so the president doesn't want this or say you push him to a subpoena. great. let's go to court. okay, you don't want to show up. now i'm going to push even harder to try to flip people. i'm going to get more indictments and i'm going to get more interviews and i'm going to make the case so damning because you can't explain why you don't want to talk about this. that, i think -- >> that memo is not an argument for why trump didn't obstruct justice. that 20-page memo is why the president cannot obstruct justice. he elevates article 2 powers to the point where he's judge dread. he's acting like he's the actual law and that there is no other authority above him. that's what the memo is about much less so than making a credible argument that he wasn't obstructing justice. >> not only that, can i say -- not only that overarching point, but if you read the memo closely it's, it contradicts previous
1:33 pm
xerlzs and it has bonn howler after another including the notion that the entire was corrupt because of andrew mccabe and it's laughable and i don't think it would past muster in a full year law course. >> here's what i think perhaps the endgame of that mihm owe is and putting trump in a position before he has to go to a grand jury because what will he have to do? invoke the fifth amendment, and he doesn't want to do that. this is an effort to undermine the investigation so he can say the reason i didn't sit down and do this voluntarily or in the grand jury is because it's a witch hunt. it's an invalid investigation and i'm not going to breathe life into it by sitting down and interviewing him. >> here's the question. can the president pardon himself. >> of course, he can. it would go to the courts and the supreme court will say no,
1:34 pm
you can't. >> thank you all for joining me. guys. very much appreciate it. former president barack obama struggled following the 2016 elections and why he thought his presidency may have come a little too soon. anncr: as you g, your brain naturally begins to change which may cause trouble with recall. - learning from him is great... when i can keep up! - anncr: thankfully, prevagen helps your brain and improves memory. - dad's got all the answers. - anncr: prevagen is now the number-one-selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. - she outsmarts me every single time. - checkmate! you wanna play again? - anncr: prevagen. healthier brain. better life.
1:35 pm
1:36 pm
a trip back to the dthe doctor's office, mean just for a shot. but why go back there, when you can stay home with neulasta onpro? strong chemo can put you at risk of serious infection. neulasta helps reduce infection risk with neulasta onpro? by boosting your white blood cell count, which strengthens your immune system. in a key study, neulasta reduced the risk of infection from 17% to 1%, a 94% decrease. applied the day of chemo, neulasta onpro is designed to deliver neulasta the next day. neulasta is for certain cancer patients receiving strong chemotherapy. do not take neulasta if you're allergic to neulasta or neupogen (filgrastim). ruptured spleen, sometimes fatal as well as serious lung problems, allergic reactions, kidney injuries, and capillary leak syndrome have occurred. report abdominal or shoulder tip pain, trouble breathing or allergic reactions to your doctor right away. in patients with sickle cell disorders, serious, sometimes fatal crises can occur. the most common side effect is bone and muscle ache. so why go back there? if you'd rather be home, ask your doctor about neulasta onpro.
1:37 pm
by staying in rhythm. and to keep up this pace, i drink boost optimum. boost optimum with 5 in 1 advanced nutrition helps support muscle, energy, bone, normal immune function, vision. boost optimum. be up for life. welcome back, everybody. we've had a lot of analysis about what happened in the 2016 election, but we're getting the first real insights from a man who won the office twice.
1:38 pm
former president barack obama and his new book former white house adviser ben rhodes details the former president's reaction, quote, what if we were wrong? maybe we pushed too far, mr. obama said. maybe people just want to fall back into a tribe. according to "the new york times" which got an early copy of the book. the president called mr. trump a quote, cartoon figure who cared more about his crowd sizes than any particular policy and he expressed rare self-doubt wondering whether he had misjudged his own influence on american history. he then wondered whether he was 10 or 20 years too early. so now one new york times columnist is tearing into the former president in a column titled obama just too good for us. the often caustic maureen dowd writes this, obama's not acknowledging any flaws, but simply wondering if we were even more benighted than we thought. he was saying that, sadly, we were not enlightened enough by
1:39 pm
the momentous changes and smartest people in the world or even evolved enough for the rst african-american president. >> pete dominic host of stand up with pete dominic. i want to say it like an announcer. >> that felt good. thank you. >> we looked up the definition on dictionary.com of benighted and it means, quote, in a state of pitiful or contemptible, intellectual or moral ignorance. >> sounds like mississippi. >> let's not -- >> an entire state. >> it's a pretty harsh takedown of maureen takedown by barack obama. >> do you think it's warranted? >> i don't. surprisingly enough, i don't agree with maureen dowd. i think it's an interesting take. but remember when presidents had self-doubt? of course president obama is looking back at what might have been different and the idea that he said maybe we were 10 or 20 years recallier and that maureen dowd wrote a column about it
1:40 pm
it's tiresome, she couldn't find anything else this week. i would say the lgbt community and america and millions of people who got health care, and president obama appointed two supreme court justices who changed so many things for so many americans and president trump is trying to undo so many of what he did. he can't undo the fact that i was raising two daughters while the president was raising two daughters and he can't undo for him, and maybe america wasn't ready for him, but that's perhaps our fault. >> i think he was looking at his approach, and i think it was sincere and authentic and he was looking at his office as bringing the world together, beinger being being more of a global person. >> and saying that the world wasn't ready for it. >> he was right. look what happened in the blue states that turned red and it was the working man and woman that was usually represented by the union and they felt like the union was not representing them and the union was all about the
1:41 pm
union and they went for trump because they felt that trump heard their cries and felt their pain. >> i want you to weigh in on this. you say, okay, it wasn't. matter of factually the united states wasn't, wasn't it just a particular population and a particular few people and the people that voted for president trump that were not ready for someone like president obama? >> yes, like 53% of white women and a group of very angry, misogynistic and racist white people. so i think when we couch this in the idea that oh, was there economic anxiety and the unions weren't talking to the american public that was just not true. obama created an entire economy, right? saved the entire economy for these people, right? for the american public and the idea that he is being reflective i do agree with that and saying that, you know what? maybe america was not ready because they clearly were not. i, as reading that, unlike maureen dowd was, like, oh, my god. president trump feels exactly the way that i felt after the
1:42 pm
election which is that here's the thing, maybe he was ten and 20 years ahead of his time because after what he did, after what he represented for the world and for the american people to then turn around and write somebody into the people's house only to tear down his legacy and only to tear down and the bit of progress that we had made is exactly when he said. they were not ready. maybe i was too early. >> this is where obama does deserve some criticism and i do think it's a tragic flaw that he always believed that we were better than we are and there were people -- >> there was optimism. >> and we were supposed to do. >> there were people for his
1:43 pm
eight years, and he doesn't realize what he's up against. in trump and i'm going to compliment him. right now trump is showing us what he can do when you are laser focused on destroying your enemies and when i pulled the lever for the first black president, part of what i want him to do is to find those people and destroy them. and he did not do that. >> how? >> you can do a lot -- >> executive orders? >> how about appointing it instead of trying to work mcconnell which are never, ever going to make them. >> do you think it would be better than obama did? >> no. i think he's playing more to the base way more than obama thought about doing. >> do you think president obama played to his base and that was to a certain extent? >> no, i don't think -- >> people would criticize him for being disconnected to a certain population that voted
1:44 pm
for president trump? >> that population was never going to vote for him. that was obama's problem. he always thought he could get the white -- >> they also voted for president obama. yes, so? >> does that mick him not racist? >> that's a different issue. >> there is a legit criticism that president trump tried too hard to republicans and there was criticism that he did not play to his base enough. the truth that the president tried to be the president of all people and republicans, specifically, yes, mitch mcconnell and the right-wing media weren't ready. >> as to why president trump could not cater tois base and could not go inasmuch as i would have loved to see, bringing down the hammer on all of the racis in america. the fact that he was a black man doing his job that only white
1:45 pm
men have been able to do, and he does not have the ability to go in, stomp around and pat his chest and do whatever he wants to do. he had to show that he could bring america together because once always, always, when you bring in a person of color and women, we have to show that we are better than our predecessors and that is a lot of weight to carry as one person, to end racism? my god! >> i'm with you, and look, strong men also cry, and i understand where obama -- where they're coming from, but for all of his trying to bring people together, where has that gotten us? >> i must be super strong because i fight every morning and read the president's twitter feed. >> yes. exactly. >> know you wanted to say one quick thing. i think obama did get hammered when he tried to work with the republicans and the same with
1:46 pm
trump. he got hammered by his base for working with pelosi and schumer over and over again. >> back to obama's point and the fact that people want to go back to their own tribe and they don't want to see if they can try to work together because that's what obama was really saying. he's, like, they just want to go and rally with their own tribe and now he's seeing it. >> i think we're on a good path since the sarcasm. >> the worst week ever for roseanne barr and samantha bee, the debate over their bad jokes and why some say there's no comparison. that conversation is coming up next. spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. what's in your wallet? you're smart,eat you already knew that. but it's also great for finding the perfect used car. you'll see what a fair price is and you can connect with a truecar certified dealer. now you're even smarter.
1:47 pm
this is truecar.
1:48 pm
1:49 pm
(honking) when your craving strikes, you need your wing nut. ( ♪ ) no one can totally satisfy a craving,
1:50 pm
quite like your wing nut. welcome back, everybody. don trump jr. is the latest to weigh in on the samantha bee/roseann barr controversy. take a listen you. >> see the double standard play out. you see everything that happens, and, you know, people make mistakes, but when they apologize, when the left apologizes, oh, okay. that's great. if someone on the right apologizes, guess what, it doesn't mean anything. you're fired. you lose your job. >> so on wednesday comedian samantha bee used an expletive to describe first daughter ivanka trump. her comments sparking a backlash and prompting the president to tweet, quote, why aren't they firing no-talent samantha bee
1:51 pm
for the horrible language used on her low-rated show, a double standard show. the double standard, of course, is roseann barr whose abc sitcom was cancelled this week after she tweeted a racist comment about a former obama adviser. joining my panel is rebecca vachon. since you're just joining the show right now, is there a double standard versus roseann barr and samantha bee? pete is here and his opinion is there is not. >> okay. >> we'll see, we'll see. >> what i'm going to say is that when you have the president of the united states asking for a show to be cancelled, that is censorship. that is much different than a corporate and business decision that abc decided to make in cancelling the roseanne there i do see a disagreement. >> abc or nbc or sirius xm firing me because of something i said, they can do that.
1:52 pm
they are a private company. they can fire us all right now had. the president of the united states telling a company to fire somebody, this is a violation. that is certainly a break of the norm, but totally unprecedented. by the day, don injury talking about apologized, a trump talking about apologizing is rich. they don't belie apologizing, so him comparing the left versus the right. >> talk about the difference in what was said with roseanne saying what she said which was blatantly historic, steeped in historic context. >> roseanne says something super raceist. >> and samantha bee saying something misogynistic and a word she shouldn't have -- >> as a straight white guy on the panel, even though i'm a comedian, i'm ducking out of this one. race and women, i'll let the rest of the women decide, that because women calling my show -- >> thanks for joining us. >> i'm out. >> take it. >> trump jr. even trying to make an equivalence between what roseanne barr's her toysic racism, you don't need to mine
1:53 pm
very far through her tweets in order to see who she is where show is in the world. samantha bee talking specifically about ivanka trump. roseanne barr comparing a senior adviser of the obama administration to an ape is talking about the historic breakdown and dismembering of black people from their humanity. that's the conversation -- >> they are both bad. >> not both bad at the same level. >> they are both bad. >> but not the same level. >> that's the distinction. but not at the same level. when you are talking about comparing black people to animals, that is the way that you were able to justify slavery to yourself, to say that we were chattel, so you don't get to then say oh, yeah, it's the same thing as us calling -- as samantha bee saying a vulgar thing about ivanka trump, talk is specifically about ivanka trump and made an off-color thing about ivanka trump. she is not talking about all white women with blond air or of a certain age. >> you always go back to something donald trump himself has said.
1:54 pm
he's called women a "c." he brought ted nugent into the white house after he called -- >> and had supporters wearing that word on their t-shirts. >> he didn't go after roseanne for use the words so he doesn't have any ground to stand on. our president is not a moral leader. he uses these -- this kind of language. he never apologizes and he always lies and can't come out and be consistent when he's critical of somebody else. >> noelle, do you think it's the same thing? >> racism is not the same thing as vulgarity and what roseanne barr did was absolutely and racist. it was disgusting. she's racist, but, on the other hand, i think, you know, going and crossing a line with vulgarity as it pertains to the president's daughter, it's not ivanka trump's problem that she was born, you know, with a trump family. >> she took that job. she should not have taken that job. >> here's the other thing. we all kind of know that naughty
1:55 pm
words are kind of risque but when you get to the "c" word. come on, that's enough. >> i think we all agreed with that. >> the president of the united states is on record. he has said -- he's talked about women bleeding from their you know where. >> and called women names. >> it doesn't mean that it justifies the use of the word at all. >> i'm definitely not going to take my moral authority and direction from the president of the united states and their fairs family. i absolutely will not. it was wrong what samantha bee said. >> she could have used another word. >> but my god -- it was a locker room talk. locker room talk. >> my daughter is here today, if i use that kind of language and i use that kind of language i wouldn't have any ground to tell her. the standard you set -- the standard you accept is the standard you walk past. you can't be role model one behavior and speak out of the other side of your mouth. we all have ears and eyes. >> thank you all for joining me
1:56 pm
very much. appreciate it. still ahead, everybody ayman mohyeldin here with more on the trump russia investigation. that's coming up next. advanced connectivity... and one more thing... the world comes with it. the new, reimagined 2019 jeep cherokee. stay at la quinta. where we're changing with stylish make-overs. then at your next meeting, set your seat height to its maximum level. bravo, tall meeting man. start winning today. book now at lq.com
1:57 pm
1:58 pm
kyle, we talked about this. there's no monsters. but you said they'd be watching us all the time. no, no. no, honey, we meant that progressive would be protecting us 24/7. we just bundled home and auto and saved money. that's nothing to be afraid of. -but -- -good night, kyle. [ switch clicks, door closes ] ♪ i told you i was just checking the wiring in here, kyle. he's never like this. i think something's going on at school. -[ sighs ] -he's not engaging. i thought after sandy hook, where 20 six and seven year olds were slain, this would never happen again. it has happened more than 200 times in 5 years.
1:59 pm
dianne feinstein and a new generation are leading the fight to pass a new assault weapons ban. say no to the nra and yes to common-sense gun laws. california values senator dianne feinstein say no to the nra and yes to common-sense gun laws. californians are leading against donald trump. our senator should, too. kevin de león is the only candidate for senate who passed laws protecting immigrants from trump... and helped dreamers stay in school. he led bold action against climate change. and only de león fought for universal, medicare for all. democrat kevin de león the only true progressive for senate. change california now is responsible for the content of this advertising. welcome back, everybody. that does it for me this hour. the news continues right now with my friend amman mohyeldin.
2:00 pm
>> thanks. a lot to break down this hour. above the law. that's certainly what it looks like that the trump legal team is ready to argue about the president when it comes to the mueller investigation after the leak of a secret memo, and that same memo admitting for the very first time that it was the president himself that dictated the first misleading statement by donald trump jr. after his infamous trump tower meeting when russians went public. >> the 20-page so credit left, the letter spent to special prosecutor robert mueller laying out their legal strategy and the bottom line contention that the president can't be forced to testify. can't be accused of committing obstruction of justice and mueller should wrap it up and move up. the bombshells working a lot of reaction today. >> what this memo outlines and what their team has said was if the mueller team is going to potentially subpoena the president, t

102 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on