Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  June 7, 2018 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
>> it looks like -- it's in the hole. it's in the hole. >> couple bucks for our friends at orion. we'll be back tomorrow with more mtp daily. the beat with ari melber starts now. good evening. i want to begin with four facts that underpin the top story. one, donald trump is under investigation for obstruction of justice. two, several of trump's former aides have plead guilty or charged with crimes related to obstruction like lying to the feds. three, the man who literally ran trump's campaign was accused this week of witness tampering. one of the more serious ways to obstruct any probe. four, bob mueller is finding new leads by looking through witnesses phones and reading their once encrypted messages. then five, one of the most powerful people in trump's orbit is sean hannity, conservative activist and tv host who speaks
3:01 pm
to trump daily and one of the only other clients of michael cohen. take that all in right now. those five facts because they make what we're about to show you especially legally significant. i don't mean this as some sort of media commentary story. i mean this as a story of what's coming out of trump white house. that same man, sean hannity is now literally telling potential witnesses and subjects in the mueller probe to destroy the evidence and hammer their phones into pieces. >> they are demanding that witnesses turn in their phones, follow hillary clinton's lead. delete all your e-mails and then acid wash the e-mails and hard drives on the phones. then take your phones and bash them with hammer into little pieces. >> hannity's defender may call that sarcasm or poetic license but words are words opini.
3:02 pm
sean hannity lives off his words and we know they have a huge impact. another way to understand those word, why this is such an important. if anyone does what sean hannity says there, they i'd be committing a crime. if he were their lawyer and told them to do it, he could be disbarred and charged. this is what's going on in the country as mueller gets closer to potential targets. this is not a drill. this is not just any random commentator. people around donald trump may logically proceed that those words what sean hannity is effectively speaking on behalf of trump. donald trump not only channels the fox news channel, he recruits from it. higher staffing, criminal defense lawyers right off the screen and now there are new reports that trump might try to hire fox personality janine pero
3:03 pm
to take precautions others will not take. let me say that again. a path to being bob mueller's boss. while piro is a lawyer, legal experts now she has far less federal experience than most top doj officials do in either party and either administrations and a far more questionable background for the kind of public partisanship that typically in any other administration tends to disqualify people from law enforcement posts. >> this is a fishing expedition. the dirt started really bad with jim comey. he turned into a political whore. this guy mccabe needs to be taken out of in cuff. obama and the clintons sold us out. these people belong in jail.
3:04 pm
lock her up. >> tonight trump's actual employee, rudy giuliani, is pushing a conspiracy theory that mueller will frame or trap donald trump. the exact angle, hannity has been pushing. >> mueller is laying a huge perjury trap for the president of the united states. special counsel obsessive determination to set a perjury trump for president trump. he would be stepping right into a perjury step. the only point of the interview is to set a perjury trap. >> take it all in. take in together. one of common critiques about donald trump is he lives in a tv world and acts like the reality show star he once was. that critique seems to assume there are limits to his approach and that when it makes contact with the real world, he'll suffer. donald trump is president. this congress rarely stands up to him. if he does empower enough people from fox news and hire enough people from fox news, maybe some
3:05 pm
day donald trump won't actually be the odd man out anymore. the justice department itself could be run by tv performers and the show will be in charge of reality. i'm joined by former watergate specialist nick ackerman. nick, do you see this as something larger than a story about a loud commentator but rather a story about the thinking in the white house and the way they are approaching no probe? >> i think the thinking in the white house is to tamper with witnesses. what sean hannity admitted to and actually was enticing people to do was to destroy evidence which is a violation of the witness tampering statute. it's not just people who destroy testified but it's also people who ask others to do it.
3:06 pm
if you look at the language of the statute. who ever knowingly persuades another person to do so with sbents to cause or induce any person to alter, destroy, mutilate or conceal an object with intent to destroy commits a 20-year felony. he's doing it on tv. we have a rash of witness tampering going on right now. we've got it with manafort who will have to answer to this tomorrow before a judge and may go straight to jail add a result. we have it with donald trump who is making unthe story for don junior that can be used by don junior and others. this is all witness tampering. this is a crime that didn't exist because in the watergreat days. this is a crime that's been separated out what was a five year felony that congress is now made a much more serious crime
3:07 pm
with a punishment of up to 20 years. >> joyce, let me play for you a little more of sean hannity because there's a wide berth for free speech, sarcasm, jokes and all of that kind of thing. this does come in a context of a week of the actual tampering that's going on and the real, to some degree, unprecedented language from a white house not saying donald trump innocent is rather he can obstruct what he wants which gets close to an environment of obstruction encouragement. here was hannity last night talking about removie ining sim and using bleach bit. >> remove the sim card and use bleach bit. then take it to mueller and say this is equal justice under the law. >> hannity seems well versed in how to wipe out a phone fp if i was bob mueller i might have questions for him about what he might have been doing to his own
3:08 pm
devices. this is reprehensible conduct. no responsible person on television, no responsible so called journalism should be advocating for people to destroy evidence in a serious federal investigation. it's reprehensible. it's sadly more of what ke come to expect from the people this president surrounds himself with. one way to hope that fox would perhaps impose some sanctions on hannity for this conduct but i don't think we'll see him prosecuted, federal prosecutors give people a wide berth on first amendment related conduct. unless there's something more specific to link it up, this will be what we categorize as awful but lawful conduct. >> right. is tasha i'm not suggesting these words alone constitute a crime. although that would be a pretty low bar for discussing whether, as joyce said, this is proper,
3:09 pm
this is responsible especially if we're talking about how the nation should run and sean hannity has done many programs about law and order and accountability and what should happen to people who don't follow the law. these obviously are our laws that govern respect for government investigations. more broadly, take a listen to him and trump echoing each other. >> your communities are being hurt and you're paying a lot of money because of illegal immigrants, crimes and drugs coming across the border. >> we're get the criminals out, drug lords out. >> when it comes to recognizing the violence that took place and both sides were involved in fighting. >> i think there's blame on both sides. >> given your close eye on the probe, walk us through the role that someone like hannity plays in your view of the strategy p rapport that janine could have.
3:10 pm
>> donald trump likes people who defend him on television. he spends a very good portion of his day watching fox news.surro. he watches for people who will defend what is indefensible at this point. this was all an attempt to frame him and i think it's really important to mention that hannity is not a neutral player in all this. sean hannity has potential legal vulnerability especially because there is evidence that perhaps he was talking to julian assan gerks that after the election when he reached out to a twitter account that he thought belonged to sean hannity and said let's communicate on another platform. that's evidence that sean hannity did have prior contact with julian assange. and there was the issue he was involved with keith davidson and michael choohen.
3:11 pm
he had hired michael cohen to be there. stormy daniels current attorney yesterday. hannity's attacks are not all in an effort to defend the president. he also faces exposure in a way that perhaps he's trying to p - pre-empt now. >> i want to read more of his version of events. he would say he's kidding and repeat the advice. my advice, not really kidding. the washington post says he raise it again in a serious discu discussion. like so many of these players complexly interrelated been announced as a criminal defense attorney for donald trump. let me put it like this. that show, with all due respect,
3:12 pm
is not known for its comedy. >> it's always similar to what i used to see when i prosecuted organized crime figures. they would come on hard and tell people to destroy the evidence, get rid of the evidence and say i'm just kidding. it was kind of like a wink and a nod but what they want you to do is to destroy the evidence. >> like don't tell anyone about that deal we did but lol, isn't that funny. what's the punch line there? >> there's the truth and there's the truth. this is the kind of conversation you could repeat over and over again and i guarantee you if you show up at that hearing tomorrow for paul manafort, you're going to get a similar story. that he didn't really mean it. it was reaching out to old friends. he really departmenidn't want t change their story. he was doing an investigation for his own case. you'll see the same nonsense. >> let me get joyce on that briefly. do you think it's likely that
3:13 pm
paul manafort will face pre-trial detention? >> i think it's very likely that manafort will face pre-trial detention. identify never seen a prosecutor who wasn't outraged and a judge who didn't share some of that when a criminal defendant told he couldn't commit any other crimes while on release. when he goes out to try and tampb tamper with witnesses. that calls the integrity of the criminal justice system into question. our trials are predicated on the fact that witnesses will go in and testify truthly and a jury can reach a conclusion about what really happened in a situation where the government has charged criminal conduct. this sort of thing that manafort has done really strikes it at the core of what the criminal justice system is supposed to keep from happening. i think he goes to jail. >> wow. thanks to each of you. up ahead, rudy giuliani turning his sights in a personal attack on stormy daniels saying she's not credible because of her job.
3:14 pm
>> i'm sorry. i don't respect a porn star the way i respect a career woman or a woman of substance or a woman who has great respect for herself as a woman. democrats taking trump to court for profiting off the preds den si. we have the senator leading that case. trump standing by an embattled cabinet official who has become the poster boy for the swampiest of the swamp. trump is playing on emotion and you have to understand it to fight it. [music playing] (vo) from day one,
3:15 pm
we always came through for our customers. it's how we earned your trust. until... we lost it. today, we're renewing our commitment to you. fixing what went wrong. and ending product sales goals for branch bankers. so we can focus on your satisfaction. it's a new day at wells fargo. but it's a lot like our first day. wells fargo. established 1852. re-established 2018. especially when inside another amazing machine. your an amazing machine. the lexus es. with standard technology like lexus safety system plus. the lexus es, and es hybrid. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:16 pm
feeclaritin and relief fromwsy symptoms caused by over 200 allergens. like those from buddy. because stuffed animals are clearly no substitute for real ones. feel the clarity. and live claritin clear. ♪ with expedia you could book a flight, hotel, car and activity all in one place. ♪
3:17 pm
3:18 pm
stormy daniels put more heat on donald trump with that new lawsuit this week alleging they tried to unethically conspire against her. rudy giuliani said she's not credible because she worked in a adult film industry. >> i don't respect a porn star the way i respect a career woman or a woman of substance or a woman who has great respect for herself as a woman and as a person that isn't going to sell her body for sexual exploitation. very, very credible source. stormy the porn star. the business you're in entitles you to no degree of giving your credibility any weight.
3:19 pm
explain how she could be damaged. she has no reputation. >> couple things. first, this is a legal dispute and as a matter of law daniels profession irrelevant to her credibility. counselor rudy giuliani knows that. second, trump pays daniels, lied about it, then admitted to part of it. the only bhepeople who have bee caught publicly lying is donald trump and michael cohen, not danie daniels. third, if you do follow rudy giuliani's logic there there would be something wrong with porn stars, what about men who sleep with them and pay them to be silent. that's what nbc news asked rudy giuliani today. he paused, my guess is that i mean thing applies but that's not the issue. arguiing daniels denied the relationship before admitting it.
3:20 pm
foumpt fourth, as so often is the case, the tape tells the story. let's compare rudy giuliani's argument about daniel's respectability to yes, his own client. >> i'm sorry, i don't respect a porn star the way i respect a career woman or woman of substance or a woman who has great respect for herself as a woman and as a person that isn't going to sell her body for sexual exploitation. oh, very, very credible source. stormy the porn star. >> i'm automatically attracted to beautiful. i just start kissing them. it's like a magnet. when you're a star, they let you do it. you can do anything. grab them by the [ bleep ]. do anything. >> when you're a star. yes, let's talk about the credibility of self-declared stars. that's part of what the president is using his public platform to argue today. this is not normal. then rudy giuliani brought up daniels looks or his opinion of
3:21 pm
them which drew swift condemnation. >> i don't think there's a slight suspicion when you look at stormy daniels. i know donald trump and -- >> let's respect her. >> look at his three wives. beautiful women, classy women. women of great substance. stormy daniels. >> just infuriates me. >> are you kidding me? >> being an adult film star does not make you a liar. >> rudy giuliani thinks that the way he is going to protect the president of the united states is try to demean and degrade a woman who has brought what appears to be a pretty credible charge against the president. >> an author of the woman code.
3:22 pm
christi christina. >> i mean, i think so many people all day have just been saying how infuriating this is. we have to remind people who rudy giuliani is. this is the man who race baited david dinkins when he was the first black mayor of new york city. in the same way donald trump race baited barack obama for eight years. we see why these two are attached. stormy daniels profession has nothing to do with whether or not she's bringing a credible accusation against this president. he knows that. he knows there are 19 other women in the wings who have seen the way stormy daniel has been treat bid the media and the republican party and that's why many of them have not spoken up. we are not saying that's their fault at all. we know the way this country has always treated women. full stop. this is a country based on, as i've said before, capitalism,
3:23 pm
white supreme schism. storm her occupation has nothing to do with the fact donald trump is a pathological liar as is his lawyer. why can't we get back to the real issue. the real issue isn't rudy giuliani being in israel waving a towel and spouting off at the mouth. we have gotten used to that. we have to constantly zoom back in on the facts. what are the facts? your client lied. your client said he didn't pay off someone and we find out he did. your client surrounds himself with liars. your client surrounds himself with people who are willing to lie for donald trump. let's focus on that. not the occupation of stormy daniels. if she was an astrophysicists that doesn't mean donald trump didn't sleep with her and pay off her. why are we talking about this? this goes deeper to this puritan values of this nation that have never been fully true because we
3:24 pm
know the porn industry is a billion dollar industry. it's not just the people who star in it. it's the people who support it as well. >> i think one could make the argument if we're going to talk about porn, sofia, i think one can make the argument that men would be the biggest driver of porn if we're assuming there's something -- some issue there. >> a couple things. i see this a little bit differently. actually what rudy giuliani was trying to do is one of the oldest legal tactics in the book. w when you get a witness in a case and if that witness is a prostitute, what does the lawyer do. he attacks her credibility so what she saw, what she heard, what she experienced isn't it true. he's absolutely trying to smear this woman who, by the way, based on everything i've read about her, i follow her tweets. she's very self-confident. she's very comfortable with what she does for a living. she's not shy about it. the fact that she stood up to the sitting president of the united states of america when,
3:25 pm
as you say in your lead in, 19 other women have ducked and hidden and i understand why. they don't want to go through this type of smearing. the real is, the problem here is one man named donald j. trump. he's the person that lacks credibility. he's had issues sleeping with play mates and porn stars. >> the rudy will go there, now's the part of the newscast because it's 2018 where we talk about cameos in soft play videos. we're not going to show the video. it's 6:25 p.m. 3:25 on the west coast. donald trump made an appearance in 2000 playboy video. the role relatively benign. breaking a bottle of champagne on a playboy branded limo. as with all of these story, you can't make it up. the thing that rudy is legally
3:26 pm
invalid but also happens to also be hypocrite cal in the sense that donald trump appears in these kinds of films. >> i think that whether or not he's in films is i'm not as interested in that as i am in pattern and practice of lying, smearing, where we have lawyers fixing things and we have people going to people and threatening them in parking lots as stormy daniels said happened to her. he's the problem. i think rudy is the worst spokesman in the history. if he was my liar i would have fired him a long time ago. i think he keeps getting the president in deeper trouble. >> he's like trump. trump said he would rule by c cha chaos. trump actually loves it. we're chasing the wrong thing in the media. we're now talking about stormy daniels. we're not talk about donald
3:27 pm
trump as a sitting president who is pathological liar. >> i think that's a great point. >> it's just wild messy and you have to decide how close do you have to get to the mess. >> we also know with trump, he likes to throw mud. everyone is sifting through the mud while trying to find the truth. as we're doing that, he's like tar. the more you touch him just the deeper and deeper in it you get. unfortunately, as a nation, all 320 million of us are attached to him. >> it's hard to stay clean when you're riding dirty. up ahead, unprecedented hearing. today a federal judge looking at how people want to sue trump over those foreign money payments. first, trump's epa chief under
3:28 pm
fire for new corruption alleges as well as a bizarre lotion errand add a used mattress. we'll be back in 60 seconds. her salon was booked for weeks, until her laptop crashed this morning. having it problems? ask a business advisor how to get on demand tech support for as little as $15 a month. this week get boise case paper for only $29.99 at office depot office max. you might or joints.hing for your heart... but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement
3:29 pm
in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember. it's about blatant corruption that reaches to the very top of the trump administration but also lotion. frump trump's epa chief 15 different investigations. some involve the environmental health of entire country. others involve be pettiness that he may have violated security rules by demanding his security guards find his favorite lotion. you can make an executicuse why might need them to pick him up a personal item or two. the details don't help him. taxpayer cover his $3.5 million annual security detail and he
3:30 pm
not only task them with buying lotion but directed agents to drive limb to multiple locations in search of a particular lotion on offer at ritz carlton hotel. they sell its own brand of jasmine moisture lotion for $27 for a 20 ounce bottle. this quest for soft skin is not isolated. hi wasted 1500 tax dollar on 12 custom fountain pens. 43k on a sound proof phone booth. here is the thing about these leaks that are exposing his alleged grifting. it's not just abusing his job and wasting public resources. consider he made special arrangements to o keep getting discounted lunch at the white house mess hall until they literally asked him to stop noting but it's not meant for every day use. one of his bills there ran $400.
3:31 pm
from the lotion to the pens, you start to wonder if there's any perk or discount that pruit's not too ashame to try and cop. to paraphrase, scott pruitt is the type to stand in line for free stuff. which is not cool. of all the discounts here is the one that seems more like pruitt ended up playing himself because he was busted for pushing his aides to get him a deal on a used mattress from the trump hotel. now, look, do what you want. but if you're into the kind of discount that comes with a mattress that other people have already used, wouldn't you still lean towards one that has a single previous owner not hundreds of different hotel guests per year. joining me now on this important story is sam cedar host of the majority report podcast.
3:32 pm
go ahead. >> thank you for the pen. i'll take that. i really don't have an explanation for the list of things this guy goes after. >> neither do i. there's a quality of low level local politician corruption that you see not just with scott puitt. in some ways he's a metaphor for the whole administration. i'm going to become an lderman because i will get the proper zoning for my hardware store. >> is it that we're all forced to sleep on a used hotel mattress? >> on some level, yes. that is basically -- i don't know how to explain that. i don't know if it was a prank he was going to do. >> as a lawyer i can give you the counter argument. >> please. >> for one of them. that would be maybe that ritz
3:33 pm
lotion is just that good. >> well it's possible. i don't want to get into sulfates and whether or not you even need that. that's not my expertise either. the idea that you get into a position and you just take as much as you can. that you get into government service because it gives you an entree and to get whatever you want and take whatever you want. i think is the organizing principal of the vast majority of people who enter into the donald trump administration. the other question is like what's the going to take for this guy to get fired and why is that such a steep hill to climb. >> what's it going to take and does the fish rot from the head. does the free lotion grifting come from the very top. this is something that donald trump is known for. take a look at him talking about pruitt just this week.
3:34 pm
>> administrator scott pruitt, thank you very much. epa is doing well. somebody va to say that. the epa is doing well. people are really impressed with the job. >> as much as donald trump i think is appreciates a good thief and someone will take a little bit more than they should, this is the type of thing that got a lot of other people fired. >> absolutely. >> you got to ask like what's going on here. i think, frankly, the answer is harold ham. harold ham was the guy who was instrumental in putting scott purp pruitt on there. he's a billionaire fraker who has pushed a number of federal and legislation. i think this is a function of
3:35 pm
donald trump and scott pruitt having a sugar daddy. i think that sugar daddy is harold ham. if getting a used mattress doesn't get you fired from donald trump, who sort of, he wouldn't hire bolton the first time around because he didn't appreciate his mustache, i don't know that anything can. you have sto ask why. who is protecting this guy? i think it's this billionaire fraker. >> it goes to what does matter. the bizarre, sheer pettiness of the behavior. it goes to the idea that government is for sale and his personal enrichment which is a huge problem. stick around as we turn to another issue.
3:36 pm
>> the issue here is not only about honesty in government or corruption. it's about national security. who would have thought, i never did, that i'd be on the steps of a courthouse trying to enforce the emoluments clause against the president of the united states. it's never happened before because presidents have obeyed the law. >> donald trump never divested himself from his companies, his children allegedly run them and he keeps his stake. i want to bring in the senator to discuss all of this. senator bloomenthal joins me on a busy day for you and your co-plaintiffs. why was it important to take this extra measure? you have powers in the senate.
3:37 pm
you have your voting power but you're going to the third branch. why? >> ari, ironically going through the federal courts is the only way. literally the only game in town as a means of enforcing the law. the president is flagrantly and deliberately taking payments and benefits from foreign governments whether it's through the trump tower in new york, from the chinese or the trump hotel in washington, d.c., from saudi arabia and countless other governments or through the $500 million loan from the chinese in effect to his resort and indonesia and approvals by the ind ne government. we know about those payments because of our free press reporting them. he has disclosed nothing and we cannot do our job. >> you're saying something so important. you're saying he's disclosed nothing. the original promise was the
3:38 pm
trump organization would voluntarily quantify and turn back over any money directly from foreign governments. are you saying they have completely breached that? >> we have no way of knowing because he has refused to disclose to us truthfully and accurately. our plea to the court is, we need to do our job representing the american people. we're the only ones who have standing. that's the right to bring this kind of lawsuit in court to enforce what is really the chief anti-corruption provision in our law and in the united states constitution. that's why we're in court. >> you mentioned that and a lot of our viewers know about that. you guys have had more success but how did it go in court today. you obviously are hoping to win
3:39 pm
but can you substantiate or provide us evidence of why it might have gone your way or did it not go your way? >> in 45 years in a courtroom, i've never predicted the outcome. i've never said i'm confident or optimistic but i was very hopeful and encouraged because the judge was asking all the right questions. he clearly understood the issues. we can't do it if the president refus to come to us for approval of his payments and benefits. that's what the clause says. the president has to come to congress before he receives these kinds of payments and benefits and the judge clearly understands that fwhewe need to our job. >> we discuss it and sam has a question. >> i had a question on the
3:40 pm
emoluments. if there is no disclosure, how can it mean anything if there's no way you can judge whether or not it's been infringed upon? >> good question. the answer is, that the refusal of the president to follow the law, putting himself above the law, if the court refuse to intervene would make it. then it can be enforceable. we're asking the court to issue an order telling the president you're not above the law. you have to come to the congress and seek its consent, its approval or disapproval and that requires that you tell the congress about these payments and benefits. >> on this busy day in court, thank you for joining us. sam, thank you for everything we talked about. up ahead, donald trump talking about the meeting with north korea and says it's all about attitude. we talk about trump's motional
3:41 pm
wavelengths, next. i'll be there. ♪ experience the thrill of the moment with the lexus is. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:42 pm
3 toddlers won't stop him.. and neither will lower back pain. because at a dr. scholl's kiosk he got a recommendation for our custom fit orthotic to relieve his foot, knee, or lower back pain, from being on his feet. dr. scholl's. born to move. i had a very minor fender bender tonight! in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it.
3:43 pm
i we worked with pg&eof to save energy because wenie. wanted to help the school. they would put these signs on the door to let the teacher know you didn't cut off the light. the teachers, they would call us the energy patrol. so they would be like, here they come, turn off your lights! those three young ladies were teaching the whole school about energy efficiency. we actually saved $50,000. and that's just one school, two semesters, three girls. together, we're building a better california.
3:44 pm
foreign policy can be complicated but today president trump says his north korea plan and the meeting there is all about attitude. >> i think i'm very well prepared. i don't think i have to prepare very much. it's about attitude. it's about willingness to get things done. >> a willingness to get things done which is in contrast to people who don't want to get things done. this is a classic trump thing. saying he doesn't need to have the details. for him about it's emotion of the event and the attitude. my next guest co-authored "the art of the deal." he focusing on anger designed to trigger all kinds of motion, fury and hatred within people who become his supporters. >> get limb ohim out of here. >> i'm angry at our leaders for
3:45 pm
being so stupid. >> if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of the them. >> i'd like to punch them in the face. >> he argues the effects is to overpower reason. he compares it to the person trying to ride an elephant. you lose control to the more powerful animal. politicians have all appealed to emotion. >> the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living. the kind that enables men in nations to grow and hope. >> i end tonight where it all began for me. i still believe in a place called hope. >> never been more hopeful about our future. i've never been more hopeful about america. i ask you to sustain that hope. >> those emotion maal appeals w
3:46 pm
from winners. there or others who were perceived as focusing on competency and they lost the presidential race. president trump isn't just rattling people with raw emotion. he's tapping into these deeper feelings and fears which aren't about chosing between different outcomes but sometimes eliciting reaction that are uncontrollable of people around the country. explain what you mean by emotion towards anger. >> well, we have two selves. we have as you pointed out in your intro, we have the rider, that's the rational self and then we have the elephant.
3:47 pm
it's dominanting our behavior. the elephant is the fear driven part of ourself who is is at great odds with what we think we are. a world in which a guy like trump is playing on fear all the time, what he's doing is stirring up the elephant and in his own behavior, he's normalizing the reactivity that we see in the world. i was thinking today about the famous book about the ikeman trial. her point is the main fear you have is to normalize this kind of behavior. what happen s our brains, we use our brains. we misuse our brains to
3:48 pm
rationalize the worst behaviors we are guilty of. we reactively do. >> it seems your pinpointing two things. the power of anger in a modern society that thinks it may have basically handled some of this but, two, a kind of vanity if we think we're better than this then we're not going to be as ready to spot it when it happens. >> that's absolutely right. we think that we are way more evolved than we actually are. the ability to step back and watch yourself, particularly watch the activation of your own body when you're feeling a sense of danger or threat and that anger or that frustration or that fear starts to arrive. to be able to watch that. trump is providing an object lesson for every one in whatnot
3:49 pm
to do. what we need to be able to do is make that leap to get away from that vanity, from that hubris. >> let's tyke thake that to the big debate. michael wolf made a very concise defense of his book that's highly disturbing, if you believe in facts. take a look. >> my evidence is the book. read the book. if it make sense to you, if it rings true it is true. >> if it rings true to you, it is true. >> i mean that is a disturbing comment to make. we do act on that asujs. if something feels right, we assume it is right. if we don't misuse reason to rationalize after the fact rkts if we use reason to cut through
3:50 pm
the emotion then it becomes our ally. we need to be able to stand back, to take a deal breath, to feel our feet and to ask ourselves these ourselves these reflective questions as opposed to simply descending to the reaction that trump wants us to, and that he has normalized and that he has made every day in our lives. >> right. when you say it that way, it's important because that's not just about judging other people with whom you might disagree. let's seeing in the wolfe case a confirmationing to problem what you might dislike about him is another side of the same coin because you're seeking emotional validation. tony schwartz, thank you for being here. when we come back, there is one other thing i want to tell you about. stay tuned. woman 2: ...and clearer skin. woman 3: this is my body of proof. man 2: proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis... woman 4: ...with humira.
3:51 pm
woman 5: humira targets and blocks a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further irreversible joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. avo: humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. woman 6: need more proof? woman 7: ask your rheumatologist about humira. man 1: what's your body of proof? woman 7: ask your rheumatologist about humira. with my bladder leakage, the products i've tried just didn't fit right. they were very saggy. it's getting in the way of our camping trips. but with new sizes, depend fit-flex is made for me. introducing more sizes for better comfort. new depend fit-flex underwear is guaranteed to be your best fit.
3:52 pm
you finished preparing overhim for college.rs, in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well-being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine.
3:53 pm
mom anit's not theirs.car... it's mine. mine. mine. and it always will be, forever and forever. the new rx 350l with three rows for seven passengers. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:54 pm
maybe you watch "the beat" but do you ever listen to it. we have launched the show podcast. look for the purple podcast icon
3:55 pm
on your iphone home screen. click there. go to the certainly bar, type in the beat with ari melber or mel ber if you're short on time. click on it, find the show and extras, our entire unedited interview with cy hersch is there on our podcast. stay tuned. rom the southern coast of ireland. i think it's why we've been doing this...forever. my dad has roots in the mountains of northern mexico. home to the strongest runners in the universe. my dad's ancestors were african bantu. i bet they told the most amazing stories. with twice the detail of other tests... ...ancestrydna can show dad where he's from- and strengthen the bonds you share. it's only $69. give it to dad for father's day.
3:56 pm
it's only $69. if you have a garden, you know... weeds are low-down little scoundrels. draw the line with roundup. the sure shot wand extends with a protective shield and target weeds more precisely, right down to the root. roundup. trusted for over 40 years. legendary jockey victor espinoza loves winning just as much... as his horse loves snacking. ♪ ♪ that's why he uses the chase mobile® app, to pay practically anyone, at any bank. ♪ ♪
3:57 pm
until her laptop her sacrashed this morning.eks, having it problems? ask a business advisor how to get on demand tech support for as little as $15 a month. this week get boise case paper for only $29.99 at office depot office max. yes. it's a targeted medicine proven to help prevent severe asthma attacks, and lower oral steroid use. about 50% of people with severe asthma have too many cells called eosinophils in their lungs. fasenra™ is designed to work with the body to target and remove eosinophils. fasenra™ is an add-on injection for people 12 and up with severe eosinophilic asthma. don't use fasenra™ for sudden breathing problems or other problems caused by eosinophils.
3:58 pm
fasenra™ may cause headache, sore throat, and allergic reactions. get help right away if you have swelling of your face, mouth, and tongue, or trouble breathing. don't stop your asthma treatments unless your doctor tells you to. tell your doctor if your asthma worsens or if you have a parasitic infection. fasenra™ is a targeted treatment for eosinophilic asthma. that's important. ask an asthma specialist about fasenra™. ♪ with expedia you could book a flight, hotel, car and activity all in one place. ♪ introducing the world's first sthe new ego string trimmer. with powerload™ technology. feed the line. push the button. and get back to work.
3:59 pm
with an industry first, carbon-fiber shaft... lawn care has never been this easy... ...or this powerful. the new ego power+ string trimmer with powerload™ technology. exclusively at the home depot and ego authorized dealers. do ynever thought i'dirst tsee one in real life.r? [ dinosaur screeches ] the park is in the past. run! we're not on an island anymore. there is a town five miles from here. am i dead? not yet, kid. change was inevitable and it's happening now. welcome to jurassic world. rated pg-13. tomorrow will mark a key moment in the russia probe, the deadline for campaign chair paul manafort to respond to bob mueller's motion dramatically to
4:00 pm
revoke his bail over witness tampering. that phiing is tomorrow. we'll cover it on "the beat." you can find us at 6:00 p.m. eastern tomorrow. "hardball" with chris matthews is up next. from america's mayor to trump's attack dog. let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. if you've got a dog, a famous mobster once said, you don't have to bark. as we meet tonight, donald trump the president of the united states, we have to remind ourselves, has got himself one nasty rottweiler, his name rudy giuliani. having gotten new york and the country through 9/11, he's nowings to get his fellow manhattanite through a ground zero scandal. here's rudy. i've got a better on

34 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on