Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  June 26, 2018 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
♪ you really got me good >> you got me too. that's all for tonight. we'll be back tomorrow with more mtp daily. the beat with ari melber starts right now. our top story is the most conseque consequential test on the power of presidency. this is taa test he narrowly passed. whether you agree with the decision or not, it's a reminder that for this president's attacks on the rule of law, it's the law that had the final word. it was the law that narrowed his original travel ban after the first days of total airport chaos. trump celebrated to the's
3:01 pm
ruling. >> a tremendous success for the american people and our constitution. this is a great victory for our constitution. we have to be tough and safe and secure. the ruling shows that all of the attacks from the media and the democrat politicians are wrong and they turned tout be very wrong. >> supreme court did not rule on whether this travel ban makes america more secure. many experts say the opposite. that was not the question before the tocourt today. the question was narrow. does the constitution give the president the power to bar immigrants from certain countries and did the final version of the travel ban do that or operate as a license test? if you follow this issue you may have heard issues like is this fair, is it right, is it good for security.
3:02 pm
trump was always more likely to have this ban upheld and whether you think that's good or bad, that's always been the legal frame work. we know the courts gives presidents a lot of latitude on immigration. back on the first day after trump ordered the original travel ban, amidst that achaos out reporting on the whole mess but also on the legal frame work. i explained at the time that ban was likely to be upheld because the courts could interpret it as something less than the religious ban trump campaigned on. >> is it likely to be upheld? probably. we can say there's great executive authority in the area of immigration. is it written as a religious ban the way donald trump campaigned on? no, not at all. >> today the chief justice supreme court wrote a majority opinion ruling this ban has legitimate purposes and says "nothing about religion". also noting the issue before the court not whether to denounce
3:03 pm
things trump said that critics believe strike at fundamental standards of respect and tolerance. by the standards of the supreme court, that's an important line. think about it like this. tonight the court upholds the president's constitutional authority but also notes that critics say this president is an affront to the veryolerance america needs right now. if you put a lot of hyperbole, it cites president's eisenhower defense of muslim americans right to pray and shouts out george w. bush for visiting the same islamic center that eisenhower visited to bring his message of tolerance for muslims of 9/11. quite a contrast to today's donald trump. the court isn't citing that history at random today. it's a sobering meroral contras to this president.
3:04 pm
justice roberts write asc key fra phrase. we must not consider not only the statements of aarticular president but also the authority of the president itself. the statements of this particular president are different for the reasons we all noi. they are devic divisive and som they are blatantly unlawful like the campaign pledge he made of a plan to violate the constitution. >> donald j. trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of muslims entering the united states until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on. >> against this backdrop, today the court also took an extraordinarily unusual step using this ma yojority decision that agrees with trump to state
3:05 pm
its view on a totallyunrelated historical case that until today remained a shameful precedent on the books in american court history. the supreme court infamously upheld the legality of japanese internment. a precedent that's been discussed a lot lately given trump's internment and separation of immigrant families. in response about the travel ban, the conservative majority on this court writes this. if old decision upholding internment was wrong the day it decided and has no place in law under the constitution. there is much important substance in this decision. whether one agrees with the result or not. the political reaction has been fierce. the first muslim elected to congress hammering the electoral side that the supreme court seat stolen from obama before the election paved the way for this ruling. >> this decision was set as soon
3:06 pm
as neil gorsich was seated in the court. it's not a decision based on the facts. it's based on the competition and political ideology of the supreme court at this moment. >> that is broadly true. the court reflects its appointees and reflects to some degree the party that owns the white house. they refused obama's nominee in 2016. if you play what if, eventually it cancels everything out. if trump didn't win then gorsich wouldn't be on the court but there wouldn't be a travel ban to rule on today. the larger point goads a little deeper tonight. courts are still, with everything going on now, they are still a guardrail for the constitution. that's a good thing. they're not there to overrule any old bad idea that people may want out of the the political arena. the constitution gives the
3:07 pm
president broad immigration power and as the nation now assesses the competence and ethics of donald trump's use of that broad power, the question is not whether donald trump had it but whether as a nation, we want him to continue using it like this. i'm joined by a special guest for this discussion. what do you say to the fact that you lost because the supreme court determined that in its narrowed form this was not technically a ban on muslims or a religious test? >> it's a tragic day. it's tragic day for the supreme court. it's tragic day for the country. when i read the opinion twice today, especially the majority opinion and the dissent, i was truck about how we had two
3:08 pm
competing world views. the majority opinion tried so very hard to give him every benefit of the doubt and gave him great deference as you said in the opening segment. it skirted over the questions of the on mouse that with believe was at the heart of this third proclamation. we believe they applied the wrong standard. they set the bar low that they could easily hurl over. at the end of the day i think this case will go down in history -- sg you' >> you're saying they put the fix in by using a rational base of standard which almost anything would pass rather than something stricter of the anti-muslim statements the president made ? >> it's relegated to a small footnote on page 32. when she talked about how they
3:09 pm
discarded precedent in dealing with the establishment clause, the reasonable observable standard is what should have governed. they rigged if outcome by using the rational basis standard. she talks about how they gave complete short shrift to the an mouse that led up. the comments he made as president. there was a line. deference is different from unquestioning deference or acceptance. the idea that we can be differential but it's not enough to question the executive branch. she really does walk them through the whole process of how they missed an opportunity to delve into the facts of this case. it's a missed opportunity. it will go down in history. they repealed or overruled and
3:10 pm
they put another on the books. >> nina. >> i think it's fair to say that this decision does give the president, this president and any president, more power than they had before for all practical purposes almost no bars that have to be crossed. that are too difficult to cross. if all you have to do is show there's arguably a connection to national security, almost anybody can make that argument. in some ways the trump administration is lucky that the first two of them, two versions of this got struck down by the lower courts because it's not entirely clear to me what the court would have done if it had gotten one of the earlier ones that had very little to back it up.
3:11 pm
they were barring legal permanent residents from returning here if they were abroad. they forgot to put that in. that's how crazy the first one in. by the time they got around to the third one. they jumped through the hoops. they did an administrative review. they crossed the ts and dotted the is. the chief justice said we don't dispute any of the comments that the president made about muslims and whether they display a bias toward muslims. we're looking at what is at this third version and passes mustard. you can make the argument and some people i talk to today did. some of them were from previous republican administrations and national security positions.
3:12 pm
one of them said it's still a pig. they put the lipstick on it so that five out of nine people accepted it but it's still a pig. >> that raises the question is it a blind pig if it won't look at what the president said and d. >> i think the court made pretty clear. it always makes pretty clear that it really doesn't want to get involved in national security questions. this isn't like kids at the border. that's really a different question. this is a question thathe president linked to national security. over and over again over the years the court is very hesitant to get involved in these questions. even in the guantanamo cases, it took them six years to finally realize that if they didn't set down some standards, there weren't going to be any for how these people were treated and how the trials were to forward and et cetera. i think for a while this chapter is closed but there is a tiny
3:13 pm
little place. there are couple of nooks and crannies it's conceivable that litigation could put pressure on the administration to grant many more waivers in the ban and to let people here when they have medical problems, when they have jobs. >> which is partly -- >> scholarly endevours. >> which is partly what justice briar were getting at is saying how much can you hide behind exceptions if they aren't meani meaningful. i think the cross talk was rich. i want you both to stay with me for a perspective from a trump supporter. i want to bring in bill johnson who is happy with the decision. sir, why is this good for america in your view tonight? >> i think, first of all, let me say that i represent our panel members. nina, i have followed your work for a long time. anthony, i've watched your work
3:14 pm
from the sidelines as well. i think all of you make some ts. some obviously, it's not a secret. some of them i disagree with. what the court did was what you said in your initial comments. they ruled on the constitutionality of the trump administration's actions. the rule of law. that's why i believe it is a victory for america because it stands on the constitution and it stands on the rule of law. i think that's what is so vitally important. what the supreme court said today is that the president of the united states who is solely charged with the defense, the protection and defense, of american people charged with executing policies to protect our national security, it's the chief executive who has the authority to make these kinds of
3:15 pm
decisions, not the courts, not outsiders. >> right. i think you're eluding to a point thatnina was making earlier in other case law in controversial situations we know the court or a block of the court doesn't like to second guess potential national security in realtime. >> lower courts have made this decision before also. i mean if you look back, a federal judge said that a federal court should not even hear a case related to determining whether or not the chief executive can make or decide who comes into our country and who doesn't come into our country we can argue the points about rhetoric and what was said.
3:16 pm
>> let me do one thing on this is the other thing that happened tonight that's so unusual. that's an usual thing to occur in the middle of this decision. take a look at donald trump doing what his lawyers would advise against which is siting that disfavored precedent on this issue. >> what i'm doing is no different than what fdr. fdr's solution for germans, italians, japanese. >> you're for internment camps? >> this is a president highly respected by all. he did the same thing. if you look at what he was doing, it was far worse. >> he did the same thing. that was candidate trump defense. r u and the panel, your view of the news tonight, is it good that supreme court has
3:17 pm
emphatically and finally said that happy need internment decision was wrong and if so, was donald trump wrong to invoke it? >> i can't speak for the president and i have not read the full roreport or the full ruling from the supreme court. i do agree with you it's very unusual they would go back that far and bring something up like this. i think i'll have to stand on my earlier comments that what makes this such a landmark decision is the supreme court said our president has the sole authority to make these decisions. i think that's the important take away here. >> you know -- >> nina and then anthony. >> if you look at this decision by the chief justice, obviously this happy need internment was
3:18 pm
added on on the last page because the dissent said this is analogous to the happy need internment. that jerked his chord big time. you can't find a serious scholar in the united states of america who uld defend the happy need internment or slaivery. he didn't like being lumped into that group. he made very clear that's why he reached back and said it was wrong the day it was decided. it's wrong now. we're taking this opportunity to wipe it off the books. it's no longer operative precedent. >> absolutely right. i think, with all due respect, sir, although reasonable people might differ no one can differ about the legacy. the fact that justice roberts bent over back ward because he
3:19 pm
must have seen it in the draft of the dissent coming to him as he was writing his majority opinion and the insertion of some nominal talk of the religious animus also speaks about how he had to respond to the dissent. the one opinion that i find the most curious is the tormented opinion by justice kennedy. one naand a half pages. >> you can't tell what it seds. >> he talks about how we can't review the president then he goes onto scold the president, as i read it, about how we need civility, elected officials need to uphold the constitution and it's man tormented by the fact he's voting with the majority because he has a limited view of what judicial review but he's having great difficulties on the statements and even the policy out comes of the president. with all due respect, i think h is one of those moments when justice kennedy might regret the
3:20 pm
opinion that he didn't go t extra yard to bring the ball across the goal line. >> you can't tell what would happen in the future. he changed his mind about guantanamo. that's what happened in those six years. i thought that page and a half opinion was a bit of warning shot as was in some ways the chief justices opinion talking about the responsibility of a president and refusing to try to mitigate president trump statements expressing an anti-muslim bias. saying that's not our business. he's nowhere defending those comments. >> i have wooarning shot. i have to fit in a break. final word, congressman. >> you can't just take a few things that the president said. you have to look at the context of all that he did. he did not include all mud limb
3:21 pm
countries. there's less than 10% and two of the current countries are not even muslim countries. >> window dressing. >> the waivers for asylum -- >> window dresds. >> this is the type of conversation that is important. i appreciate the three of you being a big part of it. thanks to each of you. we have a lot more including donald trump's lawyer sitting down and listening to the audio tapes from michael cohen's office. also trump facing a lawsuit here over the boarder policy. we'll look at how that could catch up with him. all that plus the new rant against late night talk show host. we'll be right back. r can make you feel unstoppable. ♪ but mania, such as unusual changes in your mood, activity or energy levels,
3:22 pm
can leave you on shaky ground. help take control by talking to your doctor. ask about vraylar. vraylar is approved for the acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes of bipolar i disorder in adults. clinical studies showed that vraylar reduced overall manic symptoms. vraylar should not be used in elderly patients with dementia due to increased risk of death or stroke. call your doctor about fever, stiff muscles, or confusion, which may mean a life-threatening reaction, or uncontrollable muscle movements, which may be permanent. side effects may not appear for several weeks. high cholesterol and weight gain; high blood sugar, which can lead to coma or death; decreased white blood cells, which can be fatal; dizziness upon standing; falls; seizures; impaired judgment; heat sensitivity; and trouble swallowing may occur. you're more than just your bipolar i. ask about vraylar. when you see some of the lowest options fees in the market and no platform fees? is it happy? good. then it's time for power e*tre.ad the platform, price and service that gives you the edge you need. e*ade. the oginal place to invest online.
3:23 pm
ito take care of anyct messy situations.. and put irritation in its place. and if i can get comfortable keeping this tookus safe and protected... you can get comfortable doing the same with yours. preparation h. get comfortable with it.
3:24 pm
when you combine ancestry's with its historical records... you could learn you're from ireland donegal, ireland and your ancestor was a fisherman. with blue eyes. just like you. begin your journey at ancestry.com
3:25 pm
mpblt tu there's been a lot of talk about what those audio tapes what his lawyer may have on them. lawyers for the trump organization admit they are looking at these audio files which adds to the intrigue of what they may hold. usually the first question goes to the more senior official which is the kcongressman but m
3:26 pm
first question is rank speculation because our sitting member of the intelligence committee may be too careful to answer it. what do you think is on the tapes then why is the trump organization, the business, so interested if finding out? >> we have no idea what is on the tapes. it does make you wonder whether or not we're going back in full-time to watergate where the tapes were the key evidence at the end of the day. there could be all kinds of things on these tapes. we don't know exactly what michael cohen put on these tapes. there's one thing we do know is that the trump organization wanted to stay and review these tapes as long as they possibly could. the judge today denied them that opportunity. they were there just to protect, presumably donald trump's attorney-client privilege but reality, i think they were there to try to learn what was on the tapes and what kind of exposure donald trump faces as a result of these tapes.
3:27 pm
>> wrour mayou're making a subt point. under the rules they can only hold back things that fit within the attorney-client relationship which may be limited given that michael cohen said he doesn'to a lot of lawyering but they could use the process to get intel, to get a lot of other stuff. congressman take a listen to what michael cohen's foe in the civil case said about this. >> i have every reason to believe that these recordings that were seized by the fbi include recordings between michael cohen and the president of the united states as well as others. donald trump is on one of the recordings, at least one of them. i know that for a fact. i stand behind it. >> congressman, without asking you to speculate, what matters here in your view? >> what matters is this is the president's quote, unquote lawyer but self-described fixer who has millions of documents that were seized and only about
3:28 pm
15,000 were even mark eed as attorney-client privilege. his larger role was to protect the president in odd ways. most people don't keep audio tapes of anyone they work for. add it relates to russia, it shows that mr. cohen was a shad shadowy operator. during the primary campaign he was working with a russian american who had done business with trump before. if he was willing to work in shadowy way around the stormy daniels issue, we should conclude as he was doing with russia, he wasn't straight with us and there's probably a lot more to learn. >> let me read from the trial that's coming with manafort where bob mueller is concerned. he said jurors may have biassed or pre-formed opinions as a result of the exposure and widespread media attention. some question the probe to advance the opinion of tainted.
3:29 pm
the results are suspect. what is he saying there in plain english? >> that the president every day seeks to undermine bob mueller's work and at the end of the day is that could mean the jurors may go in predisposed not to believe bob mueller. as someone who has prosecuted dozens of faith r, i have a lotf faith in the american juror they can only focus on the evidence and reach the right verdict. >> nick, briefly, your view of that. it's got to be harder to get a jury pool that's not tainted in such a big story se. >> there's no question about it. what's so unusual here is that you have the president of the united states who is supposed to faithfully execute the laws of the united states, undermining, attacking and trying to basically take that juror pool that is out there and taint it add much as possible against bob mueller which is why mueller filed this form in the court
3:30 pm
last week asking that the judge provide this jury questionnaire to all the jurors so they can really dig down and find out whether trump, rudy giuliani or the other surrogates have been successful with respect to any of the jury panels that could be selected for the 12-person jury on the manafort case. >> thank you both. up ahead, donald trump focusing on the real enemy, comedians. we have one of the original kings of comedy here with me tonight. i'm excited about that. firt first, why tit's bigger than th russia probe. we're back in 60 seconds. mmissi, fisher investments avoids them. some advisers have hidden and layered fees. fisher investments never does. and while some advisers are happy to earn commissions
3:31 pm
from you whether you do well or not, fisher investments fees are structured so we do better when you do better. maybe that's why most of our clients come from other money managers. fisher investments. clearly better money management. our other top story, new heat on donald trump over border policies. even though he partly backed down on family separation, 18
3:32 pm
attorneys general filing the first lawsuit gents trump again permanently stop the policy. trump doubling down on a critique that shows he either doesn't know or doesn't care how judges in the system work. >> does it embolden you to the idea of deporting people without due process as well? do you think -- >> we have to find a system where you don't need thousands of jundges sitting at a border. other countries look at us and say we're crazcrazy. they say what kind of a thing is that. >> my next guest says it's a mistake to view the mueller fight and trade war separately. donald trump uses all of them to abuse his authority and part of a creeping king like attack on checks and balances. consider that when you look at trump doing something today that would be illegal if congress passed law to the same effect. passing harley davidson to be
3:33 pm
taxed like never before because it responded to it s own trade war moving production overseas. let's get to our panel. welcome to all you argue that these all run together. the harley davidson thing is not just twitter talk. >> right. >> what do you mean? >> i think that the way the media has covered the mueller investigation and the trump policies, they put them in separate boxes. i think it's more accurate to look at it as one continuous story. when we look at the russia investigation, it's been presented as a direct exchange of goods. putin helps trump with the election. trump gives putin a pro-russia foreign policy. a better way to look at it is a collaboration between trump and putin to make america more like putin's russia.
3:34 pm
you can see it with the harley davidson case and amazon as well. these companies that cross trump's path is what vad mirror p -- vladmir putin has done in russia. >> the irony being that donald trump struggled to build his businesses the traditional way. he's not elon musk or bill gates. then you add to you evidence the fact he openly admires the leaders of north korea and russia. >> yes, absolutely. that's something that's a hallmark of putin's foreign policy is the support for dictators around the world. that's something that vladmir putin does. donald trump follows suit rhetorically and in practice. >> mike murphy, one of the mistakes of the hype ventilating, overreaction of donald trump is there's no proportion and a lot of other people around the country say may some of this is bad but is it all the worst thing ever. when you remove the t word and look at how people feel about
3:35 pm
demoacy. 79 pr 79% of americans which include consvatives concerned about the condition of democracy in america. you're view of the points that were raised. >> well,n the poll first. i think it's very telling. we're into tribal politics is i'm right. you're evil. i can do or say anything about you because i'm fighting evil. totally cheapens dialogue because there's no argument. i think that's bad thing for democracy. i'm happy to see people are hip to it. i'm not quite there on the unified field theory about trump and putin but i agree that trump had autocratic tendencies. i don't think he studies the presidency. he thinks his job is to where
3:36 pm
you shall crush orders. you see companies like harley davidson that are still getting i ire because they touched his delicate sensibilities. >> you take that into account. listen to donald trump touting the unbending loyalty that he perceives. >> this announcer says what can he do. you've heard me say this. this happens a lot. what can he do where you won't be with him? what can he do when you're going to drop donald trump? one of these women stood out, perhaps the leader, perhaps not, she came forward and she said there's absolutely nothing he can do. can you believe that? there's nothing he can do. >> so this is -- i think i disagree with the right versus evil. in so many different ways what democrats are saying is they're
3:37 pm
on one side and supporters of trump are saying we can take thousands of children away from their parents with no receipts. i think trump sort of consistently going to his rallies, which he needs because he's a boy king and he thinks the presidency is him marching around. he said if you convince the poorest white man they are better than the negro, you can pick his pocket all day long. for many trump supporters, working class and middle and upper class he's convinced them that emigrants are the enemy. mexicans are rapist and vermin. he's convinced them that they are superior in a white supremacist fashion to other citizens and undocumented immigrants in this country. that allows him to do what he needs to do by the law.
3:38 pm
keep in mind lots are here legal for many times where just because it's legal on the books doesn't mean it's correct or the thing we should be doing as americans. >> to your point, that ties back to the travel ban. the fact it was upheld doesn't resolve the questions of whether americans think it's a good idea. on a lighter night you're calling him a boy king. on this broadcast you've referred to him add a man baby. it seems he may be growing up before your eyes. >> for these purposes i think about him in his wife and her anti-bullying campaigning is not working. hashtag, be better melania. this is man that goes to twitter to talk about not just yelp reviews of restaurants but not even thinly veiled a sitting member of congress. i think we have moved beyond the point where this president doesn't understand or respect the office of the presidency. we know the only way this
3:39 pm
constitution will work is female have an equalaterial triangle. >> i'm a trump critic, not a trump defender. i think it's wider than that. trump is a grievance candidate. he uses race. that's the shame of him. there are other grievance candidates. bernie sanders is a grievance candidate. he doesn't use race. there's a lot of grievance in our politics now because the great american middle class was stagnant wages for a long time in real buying power is really mad at the political system and that creates an environment where the characters can run on the i'm right, you're evil equati equation. trump has put it on miracle gro steroids. this is systemic in our politics and it's a bad thing. >> i think it's much deeper than
3:40 pm
grievance. what trump practices is cruelty. part of his brand is cruelty. to back to the idea of slad picture p -- vladimmir putin. you have to show the opposition what you're capable of. that's why we had the crisis on the border. donald trump is trying to on some level trying to show people what he capable of doing. that type of cruelty is very important in terms of intimidating people. i think it goes much deeper than grievance. >> that's why the ref references are substantive. we have a comedian next. about the battle with late night comedy, next. ♪ hello. the new united explorer card hooks me up. getting more for getting away. rewarded! going new places and tasting new flavors. rewarded!
3:41 pm
traveling lighter. rewarded! (haha) getting settled. rewarded! learn more at theexplorercard.com and get... rewarded! and get... they work togetherf doing important stuff. the hitch? like you, your cells get hungry. feed them... with centrum micronutrients. restoring your awesome, daily. centrum. feed your cells. if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, ...
3:42 pm
with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. otezla may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. tell your doctor if these occur. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. other side effects include upper respiratory tract infection and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ♪ otezla. show more of you.
3:43 pm
trump on the attack. not against putin's policies or kim jong-un's human rice rights abuses. he's hammering the comedians.
3:44 pm
>> jimmy fall on calls me up. he's like a nice guy. he's lost. he looks like a lost soul. the guy on cbs is, what a low life. what a low life. jimmy kimmel would meet me before the election. he would stand outside of the sidewalk waiting for me. now i wouldn't do his show. the guy is terrible. >> trump went further than that boasting about how he's willing to laugh at himself. >> i mean, are these people funny? >> no. >> i can laugh at myself. frankly, if i couldn't, i'd be in big trouble. there's no talent. they're not like talented people. >> now we do have to fact check around here. trump claiming he can laugh at himself, has been notoriously proven false. are these people funny? you decide. >> i even thought maybe we won't talk about donald trump tonight and then he opened his mouth and all manner of stupid came out.
3:45 pm
>> the tension of the entire weekend could be summed up by this picture. i believe it's entitled, still fe with [ bleep ]. >> i watched trump's commencement speech and it sounded familiar. see if you can tell what i mean. >> we take our next steps into the world. >> you must go forth into the world. >> it's with passion. >> passion. >> courage of conviction. >> courage in your convictions. >> and most importantly. >> most importantly. >> have faith in yourself. >> be true to yourself. >> we did it. >> i did it. >> joining me now one of the original kings of political comedy. he broke the scene as a comic on def comedy jam. that show paved the way for our friend david chappelle and celebrate ed ed its 25th annive. you tell a lot of jokes. what does it mean to you when someone can't take a joke? >> i think that's a little self-indulge
3:46 pm
self-indulgent. just like when i see the things that are happening right now in terms of civility. when you have a president that is lower than norms of civility. when you call people racist names and xenophobic names. everyone is talk about how sarah huckabee thing and how uncivil that was. i remember when the tea party used to come to barack obama's rallies and outside armed. they started carrying guns. the tone for this kind of discourse has happened for a very long time. it's disingenuous to pretend like you haven't contributed to it. >> that's kind of a flash point word. civility, discourse. these are things that when we hear them, sometimes it sounds like a thing that people in power demand in a one way direction. >> absolutely. >> is that what you think? >> totally. i can't understand what it means. i can say this is president is racist, homophobic, xenophobic,
3:47 pm
islamaphobic. he's lowered the blue book on the presidency. i think we'll never have presidents in the tradition. you can have political disagreements. humanity. you have administrate ifr officials quoting the same scripttures used to keep black people slaves. now they using it to keep young immigrant children in capables. for anybody to say i can understand supporting somebody and you're not quite sure where they will go. he's going to change in the f primaries. he's exactly what you said he was. now you support him. i'm not saying everybody that supports donald trump is racist but his sups don't think racism is a disqualifier. >> you're going with donald trump to the m&m test. i am whatever you say i am. if i wasn't, why would i say i
3:48 pm
am. >> people gave him the benefit of the doubt. for such a plain spoken man, why are so many people trying to explain what he meant. if he speaks his mind, why are there all these interpreters. if i committed a crime in the car with somebody, the reasonable argument is the person with me is the accompl e accomplice. it's no way around it. >> let me play for you the white house correspondent dinner jokes. i've been to that dinner. it's goofy. every one i know famous, people, people in media. if they get a joke from the president and i mean in either party, that's usually like a wow. you're big time. >> like saturday night live. >> right. >> that wasn't the reaction donald trump had to these famous moments. take a look. >> donald trump has been saying he will run for president as a republicanhich is surprising since i assumed he was running as a joke.
3:49 pm
>> no one is prouder to put this birth certificate matter to rest than the donald. that's because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter. like did we fake the moon landing. >> what does it tell you that then as now he has what appears to be a true deep emotional problem with being roasted. >> i think you can see the way he governs. you can see the way he interacts with people. he's a bit of a bully. you can come in to this administration with a pristine reputation but you don't leave that way. i think that people are literally selling their souls and their representation. you can tell they don't believe what they say. one day rudy giuliani is saying that he said a thing. the next day. i don't know what's harder for rudy giuliani to keep his teeth in his mouth.
3:50 pm
everybody is becoming more slimy and dirtier because they are hanging out and trying to contort things that don't make sense. either we're or we don't. but to laud north korean dictators and russian dictators and then to denigrate american football players is you know, they're tough guys and these other guys are just sons of bitches. i think it says more about us as a country than it does about him. >> right, you're going back to the core point which is what is the audience, what is the nation, what do we want to do about everything. we're in this together. a perfect guest, d.l. huguely, thanks for coming in. >> thank you. at all. people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel
3:51 pm
and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here. do you want the same tools and seamless experience across web and tablet? yes? great! then you're ready for power e*trade. the platform, price and service that gives you the edge you need. sweet! e*trade. the original place to invest online. you finished preparing overhim for college.rs, in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well-being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine.
3:52 pm
you might or joints.hing for your heart... but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember.
3:53 pm
a hotel can make or break a trip. and at expedia, we don't think you should be rushed into booking one. that's why we created expedia's add-on advantage. now after booking your flight, you unlock discounts on select hotels right until the day you leave. ♪ add-on advantage. discounted hotel rates when you add on to your trip. only when you book with expedia.
3:54 pm
with pg&e in the sierras. and i'm an arborist since the onset of the drought, more than 129 million trees have died in california. pg&e prunes and removes over a million trees every year to ensure that hazardous trees can't impact power lines. and since the onset of the drought we've doubled our efforts. i grew up in the forests out in this area and honestly it's heartbreaking to see all these trees dying. what guides me is ensuring that the public is going to be safer and that these forests can be sustained and enjoyed by the community in the future. mitt romney criticized donald trump and famously made up with him. today he's now speaking out on trump's border policy. >> oh, i think it's a huge black
3:55 pm
eye that we received as a result of images that were shown around the world of children being pulled from parents. >> romney taking a stand. tonight, utah voters will make their stand and decide if romney will be the next republican nominee for senate and he'll have to decide if he's going to referee trump policies sort of like what he said there or if he'll be a reflexive vote for donald trump if he makes it to the senate. this is not a screensaver. this is the destruction of a cancer cell by the body's own immune system, thanks to medicine that didn't and today can save your life. ♪ ♪ hey, i'm curious about your social security alerts. oh! we'll alert you if we find your social security number on any one of thousands of risky sites, so you'll be in the know. ewww!
3:56 pm
being in the know is very good. don't shake! ahhh! sign up online for free. discover social security alerts.
3:57 pm
i thought i was managing my moderate to severe crohn's disease. then i realized something was missing...
3:58 pm
me. my symptoms were keeping me from being there. so, i talked to my doctor and learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of crohn's disease after trying other medications. and the majority of people on humira saw significant symptom relief and many achieved remission in as little as 4 weeks. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatnt, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are proneo infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you, and them. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
3:59 pm
big day, long day. the day's not over.
4:00 pm
but we are. i'll see you back on "the beat" at 6:00 p.m. eastern tomorrow. "hardball" with chris matthews is up next. the usual suspects. let's play "hardball." they've done it again, the usual suspects the five-man republican majority on the supreme court today gave president trump what he wanted most, the good housekeeping seal on his campaign to divide the country. approving his travel ban aimed at muslims the highest court shined up the entire trump offensive on muslim, latinos and let's not kid ourselves, democrats. first the supreme court gave us "w" by ending the recount in 2000 and guns for everyone and then with citizens united new power for the wealthy to drive

24 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on