Skip to main content

tv   Andrea Mitchell Reports  MSNBC  November 2, 2018 9:00am-10:00am PDT

9:00 am
my name is mike, i'm in product development at comcast. we're working to make things simple, easy and awesome. "andrea mitchell reports "ooh "star now. thank you. and now, donald trump using the the most divisive language used in modern history and calling on the military to enlist action. >> the military fights back and i said, consider it a rifle when they throw the rocks like they did at the mexico military and police, and i said, consider it a rifle. >> breaking point. will the president's fiery rhetoric drive away the key
9:01 am
voters in the republican party, especially the suburban women. >> he is so disrespectful to women, and so disrespectful of things like science and the democratic processes in this country and disrespectful of the media. it is not what this country is about. >> and star search. some big headliners are trying to score points for candidates hoping to the make history tuesday. >> hi. >> oh, my god. >> hi, denise. >> hi, open rachlt. >> how are you? >> wonderful. how are you? >> coming up, actress connie britain is leading the michelle obama initiative to get out the vote. >> and good day, everyone. i'm andrea mitchell in washington and with four days n until the midterms, the president is out on the trail with a racially-charged message of fear and division trying to
9:02 am
to rally the base. he is making nine stops targeting democratic incumbents in states that he won in 2016 and steering clear of the suburban districts on the coast where the college educated suburban women may power a blue wave. the president's strategy a contentious anti-immigration rally iing cry about a fiction battle at the border. >> i don't know if you saw the one coming up, but that is a big caravan. and what they did to mexican military in breaking through the border, these are tough people. these are not angels. these are not little angels, and these are tough people. and democrats want to have open borders and they want to invite caravan after caravan into the our country and overwhelming thele schools and the hospitals and the communities. >> joining me is steve patterson in carson, nevada, and msnbc
9:03 am
national correspondent chris jansing and joining us is nbc political analyst michael steele, and former republican national committee chairman, and michael fallon, former hille ri clinton campaign strategist. and so first to you in nevada, and what are you hearing there from union workers and others are real targets for the democrats and republicans, and in more conservative ear ra yas trying to hold on for dean heller the conservative republican senator? >> it is a tale of two battlegrounds, andrea. you can tell it is the final push, because of the magnitude of events here in nevada. on the final day of early voting and the state that put up impressive numbers, because people realize how important this race is dean heller and jackie rosen and democrats have said over and over again, if there is a path to victory in the senate, it ha as the to run through this race. the republicans meanwhile, are feeling a little bit nervous,
9:04 am
because dean hel sler is the on senator up for re-election in a state that went for hillary clinton. so it is clark county which is about literally 70% of the e k electorate, and trending a little bit democrat versus literally everywhere else. in clark county, you will find jackie rosen with a big rally with folks like jimmy kimmel and kamala harris. and out here, there are not only one or two but three of the trump children stumping for him. and today, it is ivanka trump speaking to crowd. the crowd is hyped up. this is obviously when you are at a don jr. event this is the base of the base, and they are happy that the guy stumping for donald trump is here, and happy to support him and come out. back to you. >> thank you, steve. further west in california in orange county which is a
9:05 am
traditional republican stronghold for decades and decades as long as i can remember for politics s there a shift there now, and chris jansing has been talking to suburban women, and system of them are in the california's 48 and a long time incumbent is dana rohrabacher who has had some controversial comments about russians. >> yes, and controversial things to say about climate change which is infuriating the suburban educated women voters. as you are pointing out, they have been republican for decades can, but now the same things that the president is using to shore up his base is exactly what is turning him off when some republicans say, oh, the president is speaking from the heart, they say that he is lying. i won't let my children listen to him. the migrants that he is considering to be dangerous, and here they tell me these are my friends and neighbors, and they are many of them for first time getting active and going out door-to-door to canvassing and get out the vote. one woman i spoke with said, listen, this is a sea change. i can feel it.
9:06 am
this is what she told me about why this year, she is voting democratic. >> reporter: what made you trum >> reporter: what specifically? >> well, i was horrified by what he is like. >> that and the fact that the republicans would not stand up. that is my hope. i really thought that the republicans would stand up for themselves and for our country so i wouldn't have to worry about trump, and it has proven not to be true. >> most of my friends feel that way if they are trump supporters, and they are not. >> reporter: and so the women are changing and not the husbands? >> yes, that is what i have seen. >> you know, they say like their husbands, they are fiscal con sser vatives, but they are not fooled by the lies or the conspiracy theories. and you remember in 1984 when ronald reagan said that orange county is where good republicans go to die, and one woman told me
9:07 am
late yesterday, orange county is where republican women go to become independent, and if that is the case, the four republican-held congressional seats are really up for grabs tuesday. andrea. >> wow. that is so interesting. chris jansing and steve patterson, thank you, our road warriors today. and in the studio, to michael and brian. let's drill down on the president's choice of closing message, and you a former republican chairman and former lieutenant governor of state of maryland and the closing message is that the migrants are coming to get you and we are sending the troops to the border, and we will talk about, that and the arguable policy there, and making up numbers, and you know -- >> it is all a lie. >> and the people and the immigrants and how quickly they are coming and the borders, and all of this, and when he could be talking about a jobs report and the first big inkrecrease i wage, and why not making the argument about the economy that
9:08 am
might appeal to those women who might thenning a free with their husbands? >> because it is not sexy for the base. talking about good job numbers and republicans have not been talking about the economic surge that has occurred under this president, and system of it is directed by the policies, and others a holdover from the obama years, and still, he is fwo ggoo get the benefit of that and that is something that you can go out the talk about, but no, it is better from trump's perspective to have a base that is angry and mad at someone other than him. it is sort of the 1950s racism that has been reintroduced into the body politic, and he is thriving on that. so, you know, a great jobs number, and wages going up, and tax cuts, and supreme court appointment appointments, and, yeah, but you should be really concerned about, you know, those brown-skinned people coming from the south. that is to me why you see and
9:09 am
hear a lot of women, especially responding the way they are starting to respond. like at the end of the day, that is not how i want to raise my kids, and they are moving away from that. >> and the contrast could not have been clearer yesterday when we saw oprah with a completely proactive message about inspiration about optimism and hope and about building on the legacy of the civil rights movement and not disrespecting your ancestors and what they inspired and donald trump last night in missouri, and this is what he had to say about really the horrifying events of the past seven days to ten days in america. >> we did have two maniacs stop the momentum that was incredible, because for seven days nobody talked about the elections, and it stoped a tremendous momentum, and more importantly, we have to take care of our people, and we don't care about momentum the when it comes to a disgrace like what just happened to the country, but it did nevertheless stop a
9:10 am
certain momentum and now the momentum is picking up. >> i mean, all framed in the political horse race context, brian. tonight at sundown is the jewish sabbath, and it is going to begin commemoration ceremonites in pittsburgh and elsewhere around the country of the horrors of what happened seven days ago. >> well, this president is trying to manufacture an october surprise, and in campaigns we talking about the october surprises, because there is always some kind of unexpected development that shifts the political landscape, and in this case, the president is trying to manufacture a racist october surprise and views the shooting at the synagogue in pittsburgh a major inconvenience, because he is going to try to bring the attention to caravan south of the border and after the shooting you saw him double down and triple down and quadruple down on the story to bring further attention it to, and talking about deploying the troops to border, and then to
9:11 am
fire on the migrants there, and it is a scurrilous strategy and the fact that he is talk about this and not the tax cut bill, and the job numbers and what it reveals finally is that after 2016 and the campaign i lived through and all of us did, there was a lot of discussion of what is trumpism? was the success in the upper midwest all about an appeal to economic anxiety that the voters were feeling or something worse and something more crude and so now it is exposed out in the open. these are the types of the appeals to the white supremist identity and the fundamental core of the trumpism, because he could be talking about the economic issues, and he is not. that tells us something. >> that is part of the defense of the attack against birthright citizenship which is constitutionally enshrined and has been for more than hundreds of years. >> hundreds of thousands of children born to illegal
9:12 am
immigrants are made automatic citizens every year, because of this crazy lunatic policy, and think of it. you are the enemy of the country, and the general with wa war on your mind, and you are a dictator who we hate, and who is against us and that dictator has his wife, have a baby on american soil. congratulations, your son or daughter is now an american it is zen. >> oh, my god. he is such -- >> to whom -- who can diagram that sentence? which dictator is coming here with the pregnant wife. >> right. >> and who hates the united states. but that is the epitome of stupid. he engages in stupid at a level that we have never seen before, and what is so frustrating and so depressing is that how many political leadership buy into it, and how many of the american people sit there, and as you can hear it from the audience, kind
9:13 am
of yeah, yeah, and dude, get the dumb cap off and pay attention t the. first of all, the 14th amendment is not a policy, but it is the constitution of the united states, and secondly, you cannot amend that constitution with an executive order, so i think that we need to dial back the stupid, and people call can it for what it is, and you put your finger on the point, playing to the white nationalism, and gin up the base and instill the fear in them that is otherwise side tracked by the horrors of last week, and now, probably f it gets any track shurngs kind of get a little bit of the side story with the good economic numbers. >> it is going to work, brian? will it get the republican base out, and democrats to stay home? >> i think that last year in the west virginia gubernatorial campaign, ed gi galess pi did -
9:14 am
galega le gallespi did succeed. but unfortunately in some of the senate state where is the republicans are seeking the to hold the senate, these types of the appeals may work, and this is why you are seeing unfortunately other parts of the republican party endorse these types of the racist appeals n. california duncan hunter is running ads against the democratic opponent saying that he is trying to infiltrate congress on behalf of the b brotherhood of the islam brotherhood, and there are also another account where he is a former rapper and belongs in l.a. and not upstate new york in another race. and so, the party leads have ohave to disown that, and the are republican party is the party of trump and they are badly deteriorating into the
9:15 am
rhetoric that anybody with leadership should disown and decry. >> and just five days out, and thank you, michael and brian. and now, we will look at the misleading statements from the president on immigration. "andrea mitchell reports" right here on msnbc. p up! - anncr: thankfully, prevagen helps your brain and improves memory. - dad's got all the answers. - anncr: prevagen is now the number-one-selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. - she outsmarts me every single time. - checkmate! you wanna play again? - anncr: prevagen. healthier brain. better life. at humana, we believe great things are ahead of you when you start with healthy. and part of staying healthy means choosing the right medicare plan. humana can help. with original medicare, you're covered for hospital stays and doctor office visits when you're sick. but keep in mind you'll have to pay a deductible for each. a
9:16 am
medicare supplement plan can cover your deductibles and co-insurance, but you may pay higher premiums than you do with other plans. and prescription drug coverage isn't included. but, with an all-in-one humana medicare advantage plan, you could get all that coverage plus part d prescription drug benefits. you get all this coverage for zero dollar monthly plan premium in most areas. and humana has a large network of doctors and hospitals. so call or go online today. find out if your doctor is part of the humana network and get your free decision guide. discover how an all-in-one medicare advantage plan from humana could save you money. there is no obligation and the book is free. i'm dianne feinstein and i approve this message.
9:17 am
"look what she's accomplished... she authored the ban on assault weapons... pushed the desert protection act through congress, and steered billions of federal dollars to california projects such as subway construction and wildfire restoration." "she... played an important role in fighting off ...trump's efforts to kill the affordable care act." california news papers endorse dianne feinstein for us senate. california values senator dianne feinstein california news papers endorse dianne feinstein for us senate. i am a techie dad.n. i believe the best technology should feel effortless. like magic. at comcast, it's my job to develop, apps and tools
9:18 am
that simplify your experience. my name is mike, i'm in product development at comcast. we're working to make things simple, easy and awesome. the president's white house immigration remarks on thursday was riddled with inaccuracies that do need to be fact-checked.
9:19 am
first, this is what the president said when asked if he envisi envisions the u.s. military firing at the migrants at the border? is >> i hope not. it is the military, and i hope it won't be that, but i will tell you that anybody throwing the stones and the rocks like they did to mexico police, and where they badly hurt the soldiers and the police of mexico, and we will can consider r that a firearm. because there is not much difference when you are hit in t the face with a rock. >> fact-check. firing at unarmed migrants is against the pentagon rules of engagement for the u.s. troops. and second, the trump administration is continuing the obama-era ra separation of families from the parent, but the obama administration only did this if the parent was going to be crossed with a separate crime. and he also said 20 million undocumented immigrants in the u.s., but the actual number according to department of security is only 12 million.
9:20 am
and now, joining us from london, kevin, great to see you. let's talk about the military and the role at the border, and what are the rules for the military, and 15,000 now he says right now, and it is 5,200, but he said up to 15,000 sent to border. can they use their rifles against migrants who are throwing rocks? >> well, there is a whole lot of fact versus myth here to separate as you said in the introduction. the pentagon said the rules of engagement are the same where they are, and that means the propo proportionate in force and return fire and the short answer is no, the pentagon is not going to ord ter troops to fire back at immigrants with rock throwers. there are the a.p. saying that there is only a couple hundred troops and the rest are staging nearby at border states, and the entire mission of the the military is not supposed to be at the border guns drawn and pointed down into the southern, into mexico, but sustainment,
9:21 am
and backup house troops to help alleviate the isis, and sorry, the i.c.e. and border troops the do their job, and they are not supposed to be the ones detaining and doing the law enforcement and so it is a lot of talk of what might be happening and the president is threatening to do with the military versus what they are actually going to do. >> and kevin, what about secretary mattis, because there is some reporting that david ignatius wrote an article today why hasn't he spoken out against the deployment which is costly, and opportunities lost that the troops cannot continue their regular training mission, and personal impact on them. it will clearly come during a holiday period, thanksgiving up to christmas. >> yes, and david is writing the same thing that a lot of the current and the former pentagon officials are saying all week since the beginning of this including general dempsey, the former chair mman of the joint chiefs and secretary hagelle who have both come out warning against this.
9:22 am
i think that it is really going to put mattis on the spot more than he has been in the tenure, and either you think that the secretary of defense is supposed to be a border, a bullwork between the troops and trump and someone to protect the force and carry tout president's oorders or he is a cabinet member and believe in what trump is doing, and if not, he should walk away. more are calling to walk away. and also, because he is a general. we have not heard a peep out of the current generals and we don't expect to. and if you are given an order that you cannot agree with, you have to walk with your feet. and so that is set up as a po possibility in the coming weeks ahead. >> and the president with leseye
9:23 am
stahl that they need mattis there to be a backstop of the president. >> and i have heard it both ways, and plenty of people who think it just that, that mattis is doing the job as anybody could have hope and as wild as the trump's orders and impulses a are, he going to protect the troops and the institution, and do the job by the letter of the l law, and similar to how general kelly has done the job, and whether you like the poll e icir not, and perhaps this is above and beyond and some of the first reactions is that secretary mattis, if you don't believe that the u.s. troop is going to shoot back at this nomadic caravan, then you need to resign and not enable what could be a crisis moment for the military that we have never seen before. >> kevin can barbaron, thank yo much for being with us.
9:24 am
s secretary of state mike pompeo and steve mnuchin is saying they are going to reinstate all iran sanctions at midnight. but many inside say it is not tough enough, because eight countries will still be able to buy iran's oil temporarily at least as long as iran only uses the revenue for humanitarian purposes. and the president tweeted out this warning "sanctions are coming." and why a former trump personnel is make ing the campan personal. managing my type 2 diabetes wasn't my top priority. until i held her. i found my tresiba® reason.
9:25 am
now i'm doing more to lower my a1c. once daily tresiba® controls blood sugar for 24 hours for powerful a1c reduction. tresiba® is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. don't use tresiba® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar, or if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. don't share needles or insulin pens. don't reuse needles. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which may cause dizziness, sweating, confusion, and headache. check your blood sugar. low blood sugar can be serious and may be life-threatening. injection site reactions may occur. tell your prescriber about all medicines you take and all your medical conditions. taking tzds with insulins like tresiba® may cause serious side effects like heart failure. your insulin dose shouldn't be changed without asking your prescriber. get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing, fast heartbeat, extreme drowsiness, swelling of your face, tongue or throat, dizziness or confusion. i found my tresiba® reason. find yours. ask your diabetes care specialist about tresiba®. as one of the nation's largest investors in infrastructure, we don't just help power the american dream,
9:26 am
we're part of it. this is our era. this is america's energy era. nextera energy. this is america's energy era. on your wild west vacation... guarantee you'll find gold but we can guarantee the best price on that thar rental cabin or any hotel, home, boat, yurt, whatever. ♪ just don't get carried away with the wild west thing. hey guys. get the best price on homes, hotels and so much more. booking.com, booking.yeah
9:27 am
9:28 am
i believe in the democratic platform and the democratic principles, and i think that you should vote democratic up and down the line. >> the only thing strong enough to tear america apart is america, itself, and we have seen it start, and we have to make it stop. that is what tuesday is all about. >> former president obama and of course vice president biden
9:29 am
bringing their political star power to michigan in the final homestretch and rallying the supporters to key races including the 8th congressional district where e elissa slotkin who was former secretary of defense the undn under presiden obama. and elissa slotkin is joining us. >> tell us about the motivation. you worked adds a cia analyst at the pentagon under president obama, and what got you interested in political office? >> yeah. well, i had never been interested in political office. frankly, i'm 14 years in national security and i worked for both democrats and republicans, and my husband is a career army officer, and so we had been outside of the political sphere, and because of that experience of working for both sides that i just felt the tenor and the tone of politics now is just different, and
9:30 am
fundamentally unbecoming of the country they served and the k country i love, but what push med over the edge is health care. i was resonant to get into politics, but specifically in may of 2018, when the house of representatives voted to repeal protections for those with pre-existing conditions, my mom passed away in 2011 from ovarian cancer and she struggled her whole life as breast cancer as a young mom, and she didn't have insurance when she was diagnose and couldn't get care because of that pre-existing condition. and so when i am seeing the man in the third row of the rose garden ceremony in 2017, something broke and i said to my husband, no, you can't do that. we consider that dereliction of duty and fireable offense, and in four days, we are firing him.
9:31 am
>> how hard to get into politics coming from the nonpolitical background and the money that is involved and the whole ru teen of getting into the political fray where you are talking about in the bumper sticker sound bites and not deep analysis of the national security threats. >> yeah, it is pretty different and like i said, i was resonant to get in particularly because of the money in politics. i knew that money and politics with was bad, but i did not understand how much money it takes to run, and i had never asked anyone for an individual donation before. so i was resonant, and so you take the skills of your life prior and you say, okay, how do you go about this and how do you do it? the most important thing is that you have to get out to talk to people. people will tell you what they care about if you care enough to ask them, and for me on the ground -- >> e elissa, what are you hearing? >> yeah, for me, i would say that marley after i started telling my story about my mom, and not a day goes by that someone does not tell me about
9:32 am
their struggle with health care, their struggle affording prescription drug, and people coming up to me in the grocery store clutching my arm and saying that there is a price increase in insulin and i am going into the savings every month to pay for his insulin and is so renot settled as a american people to work on this. and also, water, and we live in the great est concentration of fresh water in the world and we can't from vid clean drinking session to the citizens. we need infrastructure investment, and the lack of integrity in politic, and this is a big one, particularly for to a lot of the republican women who have come to support our campaign, and the tone and the tenor and the feeling that the bones that what is going on right now is unbecoming of the nation that w love. people just feeling like both sides are maybe corrupt, and they want campaign finance reform and an end to
9:33 am
gerrymandering, and we have it on the ballot here in michigan which is pretty great. >> elissa slotkin can one of the wave of women running at all levels this year. thank you for sharing your story with us. we appreciate. >> thank you for having me. >> and good luck out there. and elissa slotkin's opponent, we reached out and mike bishop has not responded, and we would love to have him on in the remaining days if he would come. and coming up, the first people in the country scrambling to prof they have the right to vote. what is correct about that? a report from the turtle mountain indian reservation in north belt, north dakota. plaque psoriasis can be relentless. tremfya® is for adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. with tremfya®, you can get clearer. and stay clearer. in fact, most patients who saw 90% clearer skin at 28 weeks stayed clearer through 48 weeks. tremfya® works better than humira® at providing clearer skin, and more patients were symptom free with tremfya®. tremfya® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections.
9:34 am
before treatment, your doctor should check you for infections and tuberculosis. tell your doctor if you have an infection or have symptoms such as: fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. before starting tremfya® tell your doctor if you plan to or have recently received a vaccine. ask your doctor about tremfya®. tremfya®. because you deserve to stay clearer. janssen wants to help you explore cost support options.
9:35 am
with a $500,000 life insurance policy. how much do you think it cost him? $100 a month? $75? $50? actually, duncan got his $500,000 for under $28 a month. less than a dollar a day. his secret? selectquote. in just minutes, a selectquote agent will comparison shop
9:36 am
nearly a dozen highly-rated life insurance companies, and give you a choice of your five best rates. duncan's wife cassie got a $750,000 policy for under $22 a month. give your family the security it needs at a price you can afford. today's senior living communities have never been better, with amazing amenities like movie theaters, exercise rooms and swimming pools, public cafes, bars and bistros even pet care services. and there's never been an easier way to get great advice. a place for mom is a free service that pairs you with a local advisor to help you sort through your options and find a perfect place. a place for mom.
9:37 am
you know your family we know senior living. together we'll make the right choice. welcome back. in north dakota, an 11th hour push to get thousands of native americans acceptable i.d.s in time for election day. and why? because one federal judge blocked a request to block the controversial i.d. law, and it is a law that could put senator heidi heitkamp's election on bid since she is dependent on the native american vote rs who are out of reach. we go to kevin tibble who is there where the chippewa indian reservation is trying to cope with the requirements. how are they doing, kevin? >> well, andrea, a lineup of
9:38 am
people, and there has been since we got here. with what they are looking for is a tribal i.d., and one that is actually that has a street address on it. of course, the situation here is that many of the people live on streets and in houses, because it is very rural area, and people don't have street numbers on their house, because everybody knows where they live. but, for the sake of voting, this new law says that you have to have an official document with the street address on it, and many people here say they were taken by surprise by this, and lot of people suggest perhaps that something is going on to try to either confuse people or to prevent them from going to the polls or not going to the polls at all. we happen to be joined by cliff pellatier, and he is a tribal leader here, and what do you think going on with the i.d. cards, cliff? >> well, to me, what it is, it is a genuine effort to suppress the vote of the first americans here within america. i consider that, you know, there was a time when all, because we
9:39 am
are a sovereign nation that everybody knew where everybody else lived, and now we are being considered a threat politically, and however, you know, this thing is turning around. >> are you a threat politically? >> yes. we are a threat politically, because our votes do count. >> yes. >> we have a right to choose those who establish policy, that the govern policy and that make decisions for us, and i am going to encourage all american indians to exercise your right. stand up, be recognized. you see there was a time on the reservations were pushed off and we were not considered, but now especially in north dakota, where there is a large group of american indians, this decision to suddenly say that we need a fiscal address, and this is turned around and it is united, our people, and we are rising.
9:40 am
we have put, i don't know -- >> and we have just come from a youth meeting as a matter of fact, andrea, where they have younger people in this community who are gather around the table, and they are organizing how to get the vote out. so if there was an attempt to of course, what is not what i am saying, but if there were any sort of attempt to suppress it, it seems to have gone the other way, because the people here, they have printed 1,700 of these thi thing, and people want to be coming out to vote in record numbers. andrea, thank you very much, and back to you. >> okay. >> and thank you to elder as well of the chippewa nation. and joining me now is charlie sykes, contributor for weekly standard and jonathan capehart, washington post writer and msnbc contributor. and charlie, oothroughout there wisconsin, how do people feel about the suppression voter issues out there in kansas with dodge city, and north dakota and texas and other states?
9:41 am
>> well, if it is an attempt to suppress the voters, it is amoral and it is going to leave a stain on the republican party. you think about the way that the campaign is closing, the closing arguments that we are hearing. and maybe it is enough to hold the senate for the republicans, but i think that it is going to be playing very, very poorly in the suburban areas, that they will determine frankly, the elections in the states like wisconsin and pennsylvania. and jonathan capehart, kevin tibbles reporting on what happened there, and you saw the line, but it is not clear that all of the people are going to be able to vote, but it might certainly have the opposite effect, and it is going to be doing that in georgia as well. >> yes, as we saw from the gentleman that kevin was interviewing, he was adamant about the fact that one, he believes that because he says that they are a threat politically, that their votes are being suppressed, but it is having the opposite effect. folks are not about being suppressed.
9:42 am
they view it as a threat to their voice. and so they are galvanized, and they are getting up and they are going to do everything possibleb to vote. i have said on air many, many times when it comes to the voter suppression efforts of african-americans, the last thing that anybody should do is to tell a black person that they cannot vote. and oprah yesterday gave all of the history of what you need to know about why that is. >> boy, did she give voice to it. let e's talk about charlie, the way that the whole election is shaping up, and the closing message from the president which is all about they are coming to get you, and the mi granl tnnd coming to get you and calling it an invasion when it is a march of people who won't be here for weeks to come, and mis-stating, you know, the fact that they are all men and all gangs and ms-13, and does it work?
9:43 am
>> well, you know, i this thought that america was great again with donald trump, but apparently, it is make america after raid again. so, it is very interesting on the day in which we have the good economic numbers that the president rather than campaigning on the record is campaigning on this fear and division. will it work? well, again, we will have a tale of two elections on tuesday and a lot of the senate elections in red states with where it might actually work, but i think it is going to as jonathan points out, it is going to generate a backlash in the suburban districts to control the control of the house of representatives, but it is also just so striking how dark and negative and fearful this message is for a party that is in power. i can't see that it is sustainable in the long run. >> charlie sykes, and jonathan capehart, thank you both so much. and coming up, clear eyes and
9:44 am
full hearts and can't lose. connie is joining the michelle obama get out to vote initiative and joining us right here on "andrea mitchell reports." . welcome to the place where people go to learn about their medicare options... before they're on medicare. come on in. you're turning 65 soon? yep. and you're retiring at 67? that's the plan! well, you've come to the right place. it's also a great time to learn about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. here's why... medicare part b doesn't pay for everything. only about 80% of your medical costs. this part is up to you... yeah, everyone's a little surprised to learn that one. a medicare supplement plan helps pay for some of what medicare doesn't. that could help cut down on those out-of-your-pocket
9:45 am
medical costs. call unitedhealthcare insurance company now or visit aarpmedicaresupplement.com for your free decision guide about the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. selected for meeting their high standards of quality and service. this type of plan lets you say "yes" to any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. there are no networks or referrals to worry about. do you accept medicare patients? i sure do! see? you're able to stick with him. like to travel? this kind of plan goes with you anywhere you travel in the country. so go ahead, spend winter somewhere warm. if you're turning 65 soon or over 65 and planning to retire, find out more about the plans that live up to their name. thumbs up to that! remember, the time to prepare is before you go on medicare!
9:46 am
don't wait. get started today. to learn more about the range of aarp medicare supplement plans and their rates, call or go online today to request your free decision guide. oh, and happy birthday... or retirement... in advance.
9:47 am
>> brian kemp is getting the sup poo support of all hard working
9:48 am
members of the state, and stacey abrams is not. and i have a message for stacey abrams' hollywood liberal friends, this ain't hollywood. this is georgia. >> that is mike pence mocking opr oprah winfrey who was campaigning for stacey abrams at the stame time he was stumping for her opponent brian kemp. join ing us is connie britain wo is joining michelle obama's voting campaign. and there is a wrap against hollywood. >> well, this is about me being a citizen and my entire purpose is to go out to encourage every single american to get out to vote, and to encourage your friends to vote, and, you know,
9:49 am
when we all vote.org which is michelle kw obama's nonpartisan and not-for-profit organization is to get everybody out to vote, because we need to be represented a and this is for the sake of the democracy, and so i am here right now as a u.s. citizen, period. >> you were campaigning for stacey abrams, and we have been talking a lot about the charges of the voter suppression, and where brian kem subpoena the secretary of the state overseeing the election, and already invalidated more than 50,000 absentee ballots reportedly, and all sorts of lawsuits with the aclu and the legal defense fund. how do you encourage people to vote, and we saw what oprah did yesterday against that climate where people are being told that there are all sorts off requirements and the exact match law for instance? >> it is incredibly discouraging, but the thing is that we, everybody who can needs
9:50 am
to vote, because that is the first step to changing those kinds of laws, and those kinds of rules that are in action. and in order to be able to do that, because a lot of the voter suppression laws are state loca. so we need to vote all the way down the ballot. and i'll tell you. i understand it. i get it. voting -- you know, voting is particularly in some states is made more and more difficult to do. so -- and then it's really hard to understand who's on the ballot, what you're voting for. it takes work. it does. and so, we're trying to encourage people to go out with get your voting squad together, get your people together and together you can learn the facts about what's on your ballot and go all the way down because your local officials are going to be just as important as your congress person and senators in terms of making the decisions that affect your every day life. >> it's such a good point.
9:51 am
i was talking to one of the guests on our program earlier this week and she said, you know, take the time this weekend and study up. you know? check who the candidates are. i found when i voted last sunday i thought i was prepared with all of the local races and i still found a few i didn't know the people and so i stopped, paused and read in on my phone while i was there in the booth on my phone. it is not easy. it takes a commitment. >> i'm always just flabbergasted when i sit down to vote. i usually -- you know, i usually vote long distance so i sit down with my ballot which in a way is an easier way to do it but it's still, you know, it's like taking a test. but that's why if you get a group of people together, you can divide and conquer. split up. learn what is on your ballot and then use your voice and really figure out what's important to me, when's important to me on
9:52 am
this election day, what do i want to make sure comes across with my representatives in the country? >> and why do you think women are as engaged as they are both as candidates and perspective voters this year? >> it's been quite a year for women. and there have -- we have been faced with -- in a very, very prominent way faced with who we are as women in this country, how we are treated as women. and, you know, the result of that has been great -- you know, there's been great outpours of support of women. the women's march. the me too movement. but more importantly and what i think is the most exciting is we have had so many women candidates come out and we have so many women candidates on the ballot. and most important i think for women in this country is we're
9:53 am
represented in our government. we' we're equally represented in our government. what i say to people who are questioning whether it's worthwhile getting out to vote, you want to be represented. you. you want to be represented. every single person. and that's why for me i'm -- at the end of the day, i want everybody -- i don't care what your political views are, i want everybody to vote because that means that we will have a country that is truly representing its citizens. >> that's a great message. connie britton, it's a real pleasure. thank you so much. >> thank you so much. >> you bet. we'll be right back. but now that i book at hilton.com, and i get all these great perks. i got to select my room from the floor plan... very nice... i know, i'm good at picking stuff. free wi-fi... laptop by the pool is a bold choice... and the price match guarantee. how do you know all of this? are you like some magical hilton fairy? it's just here on the hilton app.
9:54 am
just available to the public, so... book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. if you find a lower rate, we match it and give you 25% off that stay. are you paying too much and getting too little with your current medicare plan? if you have medicare, you have an important choice to make. you can purchase a separate drug plan for an additional cost; or you can choose a humana all-in-one medicare advantage plan that includes your medical benefits and drug coverage in one. in fact, last year humana medicare advantage prescription drug plan members saved an estimated $6900 on average on their prescription costs. call us to find out if you can save on your prescriptions. here's what you get when you choose an all-in-one humana medicare advantage plan. you get part d prescription drug coverage. so there's no need to purchase a separate drug plan with this all-in-one plan. you get coverage for doctor visits and hospital stays. and this benefit is very important - you pay nothing for many preventive
9:55 am
services, annual tests and necessary vaccinations. you get all this coverage for a zero dollar monthly plan premium in most areas. your medicare coverage is an important decision, but it doesn't have to be a confusing or difficult decision. humana strives to make finding the right plan easy for you. if you want the facts, call the toll free number on your screen right now and get the free decision guide from humana. humana has a large network of doctors and hospitals, so call to find out if your doctor is in our network. see if you can save on your prescriptions and get our free decision guide. licensed humana sales agents are standing by. pick up the phone and call humana today.
9:56 am
9:57 am
in pennsylvania's 6th distrigt in tdi district in philadelphia, mccawley is running in a district that's leaning democratic. greg mccawley joining me now. thank you. we had your democratic opponent on earlier this week and happy to be talking to you. why are you running as a first-time candidate? >> well, andrea, thanks for having me. you know, i think like everybody in america, i'm disgusted with what's going on in congress. they don't balance the budget. that'sheir main job. you know? there are issues kicked back and forth and then down the road. immigration shou
9:58 am
immigration should have been settled decades ago. i have a simple plan to settle immigration. let's give the 25 million people who are here guest worker visas. they'll then be paying tax and know who's here and that tax revenue, that $50 billion to $100 billion help us save social security, medicare and medicaid. >> well, at the same time, the republican leaders in congress and the president of the united states don't agree with that. with that. how do you make a difference if you're elected when there's been no effort by republican leaders and certainly not by the president to go along with guest workers? >> well, i think they need to realize that here in my district in p.a. 6 we need 1,000 new workers right away. to keep our agricultural industry moving forward and in northern part of the district in burkes county we probably need another 500. people don't want to work hard on the farm anymore.
9:59 am
>> excuse me. i didn't mean to interrupt. i was wondering what do people tell you about president trump who is less popular in the suburbs than he has been in the past. >> well, i think people love the economy. they love what he's doing on the economy. twitter -- i, you know, i hear comments about twitter. but i think we need to move forward and settle our differences and stop the bickering. >> but, certainly, his rhetoric and his tweets don't help. >> well, i agree that the tweets are coarse at times but it's hi way of getting the message to the voters. >> thank you very much. good luck out there on the campaign trail. we appreciate your coming on today. >> thank you. >> that's it for us. this edition of "andrea mitchell reports." here's ali and stephanie. >> thank you. have a great afternoon.
10:00 am
good afternoon, everyone. >> i'm ali velshi. >> i'm stephanie ruhle. it's friday, november 2nd. let's get smarter. >> 250,000 jobs were added. here's the kicker. the fastest wage growth we have seen in about a decade. great talking points for republicans and their final pitch here for the midterms. >> it is the final day of early voting here in georgia. >> today is the last day voters in texas can cast their ballots early. early vote numbers have blown the numbers off in this state. >> across the country today, the big guns are out. president trump and president obama, both with two scheduled stops to support key races. final message of both parties -- i'm sticking up for you. for democrats, that means health care. for republicans that means standing behind the president's tough talk on immigration. >> if you don't want america to be overrun by masses of illegal aliens and giant caravans, you better vote republican. some people call it an invasion. it's like an invasion.

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on