Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  April 9, 2019 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
>> that's all we have for tonight. we'll be back tomorrow with more "meet the press." good evening, ari. >> good evening, chuck. we are tracking several big stories on "the beat." donald trump's secretary admit they have discussed that they've discussed taxes. tonight i have some words for stephen miller, donald trump's long time aide who is playing a big role on immigration but has, i'll show you, he has some problems with the very civics questions that immigrants have to tackle and answer when they become citizens of this nation. i'm going to get into all of that. i begin with bill barr, putting out real-time lines today. under oath to the congress saying he will release some version of the mueller report within a week.
3:01 pm
>> my original timetable of being able to release this by mid-april stands within a week. i'll be in a position to release it to the public. i think it is important that the public have an opportunity to learn the results of the special counsel's work. >> this release, of course, is the center of maybe one of the biggest fights of the trump presidency. barr has said he will make up his own mind about reall sorts of things from the report. the house democrats have said they're willing to subpoena the whole thing. they want the full report, no redactions. it is sometimes referred to as 6 e. >> we intend to redact information. >> will we have the complete report? >> you mean the unredacted
3:02 pm
report? >> no. >> if they want to see classified information. >> we have an intelligence committee for that. >> this is what drives the public crazy. when they see something like this. >> we will color code the exisions from the report. what you see on the screen is something we've gotten used to. the sometimes very large black box redactions and all sorts of filings. things that mueller was redacting because he was not done with his probe. now what we're hearing tonight, brand new from the attorney general, that barr may take the mueller report and turn it into, yes, taste the rainbow. a veritable rainbow of redactions. so we'll get a whole feel of what that is. i don't think we know exactly which colors go for which. i'm voting pink for 6 e. now, all levity aside, barr made
3:03 pm
headlines with some statements that sounded conflicting. he claims his office did not give the white house a four-page summary of the report. then he corrected and said trump did have reason to know it was coming. >> was the president or anyone at the white house alerted in advance of your letter's release? >> the march 24th letter, think i don't believe so. i checked with my staff and was told that just before the letters were out, we did advise the white house counsel's office. we notified them before we issued them. i think it may have been read to them. >> the letter may have been read over the phone, he mentions. there is earlier reporting about that but this is significant because you have the attorney general testifying to congress under penalty of perjury. in an era of nothing matters and who cares and what will happen, this is another example of how
3:04 pm
the congressional oversight office, the under oath testimony matters. we're learning specifically about what barr did and didn't do. how he kept donald trump impacted. which is, what barr really meant about all of his name checking of bob mueller. if you've watched "the beat" coverage, there was a lot of lawyerly dancing going. on barr trying to invoke mueller in all sorts of ways that would seem to go to his benefit as an attorney general working close when i the celebrated coin. we see barr revealing under oath, drafting the letters if barr which at times mentioned mueller. >> mr. mueller's team did not may role in drafting that document. we offered him the opportunity to review it before we sent it out and he declined that. >> he declined. that's something i want to ask our talented panel about from
3:05 pm
"the new york times." michael steele from the rnc. back in the day. and john flannery from federal prosecutorial offices. great to see all of you right out of the gate. your interpretation of the stated fact that mueller declined to review a letter that he could not control from barr. >> well, you've said it. he couldn't control it. he didn't want to approve it. he didn't want to give it any sanction. so the da vinci of deception continues with his multicolored proposal. you talk about the colors. the grand jury testimony, on the one hand he says, and a direct result of a question about the aca, the obamacare, why don't you trust the courts? well, he's not prepared to trust the courts. he doesn't want to lose control of what a court might do. to release the material. so i think if we want to straighten this out, sure,
3:06 pm
subpoena barr. but i think we should be going straight to the court and asking them on release it for all the reasons these things have been released in the past. >> you know that john thflanner is fully loaded when he says that, referring to the judge who famously oversaw the watergate case what do you think of the politics case? barr has done a lot of mueller flirting, if you want to call it that. he was asked a direct question. mueller is a smart lawyer himself and said, why am i going to get pulled into something that i can't control. you want to know what i think, read my report. >> and i think that's the essence of this. here's where the washington story starts. it's been fascinating to see how people respond. everyone is caught up with the
3:07 pm
speed with which all of this is during. and that's the ruse. we just put this stuff out very quickly but it belies what is released. the speed of releasing stuff is one thing. what they are releasing is the important stuff that matters. so folks have kind of gotten fixated and caught up. i think what you're seeing now, to the point that was just made. there are work-arounds. you can go about getting what you need from the mueller report. we've seen how this has played out in prior history. so this is not some big machiavelli different thing to do. hey, we would like to have this report fully available to the american people. the 6 e section of the grand jury testimony, we have no problem with that being made public. and we go on from there. >> isn't that what bob barr, bill barr wants?
3:08 pm
at the end of the day, i don't know if you heard this. >> i heard the whole report is really good news for donald trump. total exoneration. i heard maybe some parts are written in caps that it is just a series of trump tweets. if it is as good as barr and trump said, why are they hiding it? i present that for your analysis and michelle's under the caption, obvious questions on "the beat." >> because none of what you said is true. that's why. this is where mueller was pretty slick about it. he is like, okay. here it is. now political pressure is not on mueller. it is on the administration. and in particular, the attorney general to do right by this. you have aggressive, an aggressive oversight function taking place simultaneously that is putting that pressure, added pressure on the attorney general to get this right out of the box. and as you saw from the testimony, he had some difficulty at various times
3:09 pm
doing that. >> you know, i think that what they've been able to do. one of the great hopes for the mueller investigation was that it would give us some sort of common set of facts. it would provide some clarity in the midst of this, you can, they've ensured that won't happen. first by the way they rolled it out with this extremely misleading summary that they then said was not a summary and i think quoted something like 24 words of actual mueller text in this document. so they've allowed this fictitious narrative to take place. to get legs. something that apparently so distressed members of the mueller team that have never leaked, that finally led them on leak because this pushed them over the edge. so what they're going to do now is dribble it out in a way that
3:10 pm
again will kind of confuse people. will shape the narrative to trump's advantage. hopefully eventually through litigation or some other means, this whole document will come out. i think by then, there will be so much confusion and so many, as kellanne conway said, alternative facts. that bill barr has really exploded any chance of creating a sort of concensus about what happened in the way that the nixon impeachment led to a consense us about what happened in watergate. >> i think you make an important point. we're talking about facts which we draw from evidence and information. and you're talking about time. i think bill barr understands where washington and true detective meet. because time can be a flat kr circle in the beltway where yesterday's conventional wisdom is today's expertise until and unless something replaces it. and he is a master of it. i've said it as part of my
3:11 pm
coverage. we have no evidence that he has broken any doj rules, let alone laws. we are talking about the transparency, the ethics, the honor, of his handling of a very important thing. an investigation that touches on the white house and what that means for manager. we're not saying that it shows he broke the rules. with that in mind, on the flat circle, if you will, to your point, let's look at him on the exoneration today. he's pressed on this underoath. this attempt to cherry pick references to shape views before we had the report. take a look. >> can you elaborate on what is men by does not exonerate the president? >> i think that's the language from the report. >> i understand that. >> that's a statement made by the special counsel. >> you cannot opine after having read the report yourself, why it reaches that conclusion that it does not exonerate the
3:12 pm
president. >> that's right. >> almost down to a whisper. an interesting exchange. it is telling, no? >> one of the things that we're not clear about is whether it doesn't reach a conclusion on obstruction of justice because the evidence wasn't sufficient or because doj regulations say that a sitting president cannot be indicted. this evidence would be a matter for congress to evaluate. and if this is a matter for congress to evaluate, that makes it all the more urgent and shameful that they would try to circumvent congress in getting this information. >> i think that we should replace the flat circle with a sphere. and it should be mauve. so far as they say -- >> what is a mauve sphere? >> the redaction element of one of the colors. >> that's incredible. >> did you get that?
3:13 pm
it's a joke. right over my head. >> you started with it your flat circle. come on! the color of the portion of the redaction which may cover the whole page, and we don't like new york basic black, could be chicken yellow. he has the option to go to the court and he's not going there. is he afraid they'll rule the right way? release this stuff? particularly after the charade they put on after his summation of the report except for the fact that he gave his opinion about the report which is, don't worry about it. he didn't obstruct anyone. and rely on my memo of a year ago. if you read the sites, they don't support the memo. a first year law school student would get a d for what he wrote. he is accepted in the elite of the alt right republicans and those who support trump. it is giving credit built and
3:14 pm
they pass him on from the senate and this position and he does what they expect him to do. i know you think he's doing well. i think that we're talking about how he's trying to deceive us tells us he's not doing that well. i hope the day of reckoning comes soon. >> i'm trying to hold doj accountable. i'm noting within the rules, he has taken aggressive positions. and it is important to distinguish that. it is lawful but questionable from, say, potential obstruction that we've seen where people have been convicted of lying to the fbi. the president calling people rats. barr is not in that camp. i give the final word to you. flannery has taken it, i hate to say it, no, i don't. flannery has taken us full circle. >> if you can bear the their truth -- >> shakespeare?
3:15 pm
>> kipling. >> we're full circle because we're tasting the rainbow of redactions. >> that's the best i can do. >> look, look. >> we, as they say, we end where we began. and the fact of the matter is, all this boils down to the simple truth that at the end of the day, barr has the ultimate power and control. that is the ability to redact. pink, mauve, purple or yellow. the fact of the matter is he has established a narrative at the time of the four-page release. he is now continued that narrative and will continue that narrative at the time of the full document release. and the truth will lie within those colored redacted parts. that's the nub of this. unless he goes to a court and gets that judge to say release the whole thing, we will never
3:16 pm
live in his interpretation of complete exoneration of the president. >> i think you put it very well. and skilled lawyers can interpret their way far afield from what the underlying evidence might say. that's what they build careers on. the question is with this rainbow of redaction, is it funny ha ha, or funny cover-up. is it going to look like flannery's bow tie where there is a little white and a lot of other colors covering up. >> i'm going to take a break. flannery, steele, goldberg, like a law firm. we'll have you back. thank you to you. next, i turn to my special report, my words for stephen miller tonight. i want to share them with him and you. also, trump's new secretary revealing something about trump's taxes hours before the deadline to turn them over. and we'll explain how donald trump is moving from open attacks on judges, to yes,
3:17 pm
trying to undermine the actual laws themselves. and tonight something different. my conversation with award winning actor, david oyelowo on justice. oyelowo on justice. what if other kinds of plants captured it too? if these industrial plants had technology that captured carbon like trees we could help lower emissions. carbon capture is important technology - and experts agree. that's why we're working on ways to improve it. so plants... can be a little more... like plants. ♪
3:18 pm
3:19 pm
3:20 pm
all of you. how you live, what you love. that's what inspired us to create america's most advanced internet. internet that puts you in charge. that protects what's important. it handles everything, and reaches everywhere. this is beyond wifi, this is xfi. simple. easy. awesome. xfinity, the future of awesome. .
3:21 pm
president trump just ousted his homeland security secretary. he is also ousting the head of the secret service and his own nominee for iso. he is on his third chief of staff and he just got rid of his sixth communications director. a white house with record turnover. one trump aide is still there from day one. >> president trump reportedly handing the reins of his immigration strategy to hard liner stephen miller. >> led by white house adviser stephen miller. >> stephen miller is definitely reempowered here. >> stephen miller is said to be the driving force behind these very dramatic changes. >> on immigration, stephen miller is essentially donald trump's donald trump. that sounds sort of intense. consider that miller broke other aides by cheering the role out of the travel pan. a court rejected onslaught of
3:22 pm
policy chaos that hard liners thought could have been better managed. he wants to eliminate high school rights in china and birth rights for refugees who are fleeing and genocide abroad and limit immigration in general. while the homeless security chief suggested that she was pushing for trump to follow the law on child separation, miller does not even publicly acknowledge the legal or ethical problems of this policy. he said it was a simple decision by the trump administration to have it. period. there is a legitimate debate about immigration policy. there's nothing automatically suspect about supporting, for example, a reduction in the number of annual migrants. any nation without open borders will have some limits. for a. at a pair funded government employee to defend the human rights separation policy as simple, an easy call as a
3:23 pm
policy, that he likes, even though it has been rebuked as partly illegal by the courts and inhumane across the spectrum. let's be clear. that is chilling. that is how miller sees things. he's been pretty clear about it. >> our opponents, the media, will soon see that the power of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned. >> false. the president's powers are always open to being questioned by the co-equal branches of government. it is one of the most vital checks in our constitution to protect liberty. tonight, given all the attention on miller, let me put it in a way mr. miller might understand. here the current civics preparation materials from the u.s. civics services under trump. here's one question that immigrants can prepare with. one that mr. miller apparently
3:24 pm
needs to study. what stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful? answer. checks and balances and the separation of powers. law-abiding immigrants study that material on their path to citizenship. maybe mr. miller needs to start studying it, too. and as he consolidates power over immigration policy, let me help with a little lesson. it is those checks and balance that's have set back president trump and mr. miller's agenda. consider the courts blocked the early division on the travel ban, ordering trump's dhs to unite those families and stopping the dreamer program. just this week the judges who enraged trump by demanding that he keep asylum seekers in mexico. those legal facts are worth keeping in mind as a check on
3:25 pm
mr. miller's rhetoric. when he proclaims the president's powers cannot be questioned, he is not only giving a failing answer on a citizenship test. he is playing himself. drawing attention to the very lack of power that both he and donald trump have exposed in their overreach. >> our opponents, the media, and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further action, the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned. >> indeed. they're not only questioned by the courts, as i showed. the other lesson for mr. miller is they're questioned by a co-equal branch of government including donald trump's own republican allies in congress who say mr. miller is not effective. here is chuck grassley today. >> i don't see a lot of accomplishments that an adviser in the white house has
3:26 pm
accomplished for the president on immigration. >> here is one of trump's most fervent. calling him out as a failure. >> as long as stephen miller is in charge of immigration on the hill, we're going nowhere. >> it may apply to some of his work. he was removed from the process of writing a travel ban because of the way it went down when he was in charge. one of only a few trump aides who pushed to fire james comey. he was a key voice pushing for the government shutdown that back fired on trump and did not win wall funding. >> we're going to do whatever is necessary to build the border wall, to stop this ongoing crisis of illegal immigration. this is a very, if it comes to -- absolutely. >> even after all those problems, trump is giving miller plenty of chances telling a room full of people.
3:27 pm
you're in charge. and he's still pushing for what they say will be a total border shutdown and trying to get trump to reinstate, yes, to reinstate this family separation policy. telling others they need to get in line on the issue. one possibility for why president trump puts miller in charge of all this is that he thinks he is one of the few people how might do what trump wants regardless of what the law requires. i showed you why he thinks that when you look at how he talks. his last homeland security chief made the message that she wouldn't do that. trump calling secretary nielsen when she was at home, early in the mornings, doing things to stop migrants including doing things were illegal like shutting down all locations for asylum. trump would be infuriated. what you're hook at there is
3:28 pm
kind of a hike that may be designed to make nielsen look good on her way out but it is also in an article that was fact checked. he wants someone who will do whatever he wants and not be questioned. we see this. the courts in this country, as they've recorded it. especially when the president pulls policies which is either illegal or no justification in fact. >> i am going to repeat that any time anywhere and stay president of the united states is correct 100%. >> you just repeated it. you just made the deck had a ragss. for the record, you've provided zero evidence. >> as the journalist noted, he had zero evidence to back up
3:29 pm
trump's claims of voter fraud. then he said he would go anywhere, any time on defend the evidence. should i mention, i invited him for an interview, any time, in any city when he said that. today i reextended an invitation for him to join us on "the beat." we've hosted all kinds of people from all kinds of perspectives. the invitation is there to look at the facts but i can't wait to talk about the facts until he comes, any time, anywhere. these televised checks that he writes and cannot cash. the larger point is the tact to run the federal government like a weapon against immigrants. to run the federal government to build presidential powers that the constitution forbids. and that's why we observe tonight as mr. miller consolidates power that his own
3:30 pm
record shows he couldn't even pass something that so many immigrants pass every year. the basic core parts of our american civics test. american civics test tnessed, but i can tell you liberty mutual customized my car insurance so i only pay for what i need. oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no... only pay for what you need. liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ and back pain made it hard to sleep and get up on time. then i found aleve pm. the only one to combine a safe sleep aid, plus the 12 hour pain relieving strength of aleve. i'm back. aleve pm for a better am. to another story, trump's treasury secretary making news. >> has anyone at the white house talked to you about this decision? >> to me personally or to other
3:31 pm
people? >> well, you personally first and to other people second. >> i have not had any conversations with anyone in the white house. our legal department has had conversations prior to receiving the letter with the white house general counsel. they have not briefed me to the contents of that communication. i believe it was purely informational. >> that's donald trump's treasury secretary talking about the legal discussions to try to get trump's taxes. he says the process is supposed to be walled off from interference. i want to get right to it. richard, how do you view the legal and ethical obligations of the way the trump administration is responding to what would appear to be a lawful request under federal law for the tax returns? >> well, this is pathetic. he should have turned over the. at a returns before he was elected. every other president has publicly disclosed his tax
3:32 pm
returns, candidates for president disclose their tax returns. and he promised the voters he would disclose his tax returns. now he's using the white house counsel and the treasury stoekt conceal his tax returns. not only from the american people but from congress. and this is in a situation where there are very serious concerns that the president is taking money from foreign governments, profits and benefits from foreign governments, in violation of the emoluments clause of the constitution. three cases have been brought against the president in the federal courts. two of them have proceeded beyond the motion to dismiss and on to discovery and there is serious concern in congress and the federal courts that this president is taking money from foreign governments. that information is in those tax returns, almost certainly. >> you're involved in one of those cases. do you think the house democrats using it as law is an even stronger legal tool than discovery to get the returns?
3:33 pm
>> well, it should move a lot more quickly. they should subpoena those returns with the full house and demand come plinpliance with th subpoena and then take it on an expedited basis. we have a serious situation where our president may very well be taking money from foreign governments in violation of the constitution. that on top of the russia investigation, the mueller report, which needs to be publicized as soon as possible. so yes. this needs to go on the fast track. and the president is obstructing congressional investigation and using the white house counsel and the treasury secretary to do that. and it is pathetic. >> we know where you stand. jason, richard mentions the council and the way this back's bureaucratic fight. there is a view that some critics of donald trump say he's very chumcy and blustery. i want to point out reporting done by the "new york times"
3:34 pm
about how he seemed to hazer focus getting the counsel, the lawyer for the irs in. maybe because he had this on his mind in ahead of time. >> the president called mitch mcconnell. in the course of the investigation, he said he would like him to fast track the irs chief counsel his vote. it was a top priority. even more than getting barr confirmed. >> he wanted the irs counsel to be sort of his coupe. even ahead of william barr. this is something on his mind. >> good reporting there. what does it say that he was looking more at the irs lawyer than the attorney general of the united states as a confirmation priority. >> this president has left dozens of positions open. we don't have a head of i.c.e. or homeland security. he wanted to make sure there was somebody there to cover his taxes. donald trump is defending his taxes like a high school search history. he doesn't want anyone to know
3:35 pm
what he's been doing with his money over the years. at some point it will come forward. as we discuss last week, mueller probably had access to this information. so as many times as the president tries to play whack a mole and stop this, someone will get access to his tax returns. he won't be able to keep it hidden. so the larger question is, what is he afraid? we know he's probably doing something illegal. >> he sounds a little up nerved. here he was, donald trump today. >> we have bad laws and so we're fighting the bad laws. we have the worst laws of any country, anywhere in the world. we're bucking a court system that never, ever rules for us. >> and the lightning round, what goes through your mind when you hear a president speak way about the rule of law? >> this is a president who has been ruled to be behaving illegally 65 times since he got into office.
3:36 pm
of course he doesn't like judges. especially if the judges happen to be brown. >> this president has no respect for the judiciary. even as a candidate, he attacked judge in a federal case in which he was a party. staying judge was mexican american so therefore the judge was biased against him. he has repeatedly attacked federal courts. he has zero respect for the judiciary. you put that on top of his attitude toward immigration. and nut jobs like stephen miller running around the white house. >> and eye tension, mr. meer has been invited on. the water is warm, as they say journalistically. ahead, attorney general barr says don't call it a summary. next next ovies.
3:37 pm
ovies. we don't follow the naysayers. ♪ ♪ ( ♪ ) man: you can do this! grab those command picture hanging strips and let's make it work. they're tool free and they hold strong. oh, rustic chic! an arrow angled to point at rustic chic. hmm, may i be honest here? let's take that down, damage free, with a stretch, remove... and look: no marks, no mess. like a pro. command. do. no harm. i can choose from all their different hotel brands... like a doubletree for my cousins. a homewood suites for my uncle. a hampton for my sister and her kids. and the waldorf astoria beverly hills for me. can i get a..? thank you. book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. so, every day,
3:38 pm
we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. you wouldn't accept an incomplete job from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? most pills don't finish the job because they don't relieve nasal congestion. flonase sensimist is different. it relieves all your worst symptoms, including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. it's more complete allergy relief. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist helps block six key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. and six is greater than one. flonase sensimist. and six is greater than one. conventional wisdom says you can't make a 400 horsepower sedan, that's also environmentally conscious. we don't follow conventional wisdom. ♪ ♪ - (phone ringing)a phones offers - big button,ecialized phones... and volume-enhanced phones.,
3:39 pm
get details on this state program. call or visit and accessoriesphones for your mobile phone. like this device to increase volume on your cell phone. - ( phone ringing ) - get details on this state program call or visit
3:40 pm
. attorney general bill barr sparring with democrats who took issue with his letters. just as ll cool j said don't call it a comeback. i've been here for years. a protest which actually acknowledges people thought it was a comeback. today barr was reiterating his protest to his letters describing the mueller report saying don't call it a summary. i've been here writing letters that try not to be over or under inclusive. >> i suspect that they probably wanted more put out. but in my view, i was not interested in putting out summaries or trying to summarize. i think any summary, regardless of who prepares it, not only runs the risk of being underinclusive or overinclusive, but also, would trigger a lot of
3:41 pm
discussion and analysis that really should await everything coming out at once. >> we should be waiting for everything to come out at once. i'm joined by new york magazine. don't call it a summary or analysis. now to quote something for your analysis. bill barr, below. quote. i summarize the principal conclusions set out in the special counsel's report. >> it is pretty astonishing that he would contradict himself by saying, like you just pointed out, that it is a summary and then saying it is not a summary. it is even more astonishing to me that he would justify the way that he presented this information as if it was a completely neutral attempt to not have anyone draw any conclusions until the real thing was out. when the result was so obviously at odds with that that you can't think that it was anything but
3:42 pm
his design. what he put out was very exculpatory in its framing. we don't really know what the underlike report had. what he put out enabled donald trump to go out and say i've been exonerated. no collusion. it's all a witch hunt. and then he shut his mouth after that. so i think barr teed it up for trump in a pretty obviously deliberate fashion. for him to throw up his hands and say no judgment here. we're all waiting for the facts. it doesn't square with what we've seen. >> as a student and report we are the ways of washington, is there any value do you think to doing a thought experiment? if a different person did this? barr is new. he does have credibility as i've reported with the washington legal establishment. yet if a whittaker or sessions did the exact same stuff, would it may the same way? >> that's a really good question. i think honestly barr is one of
3:43 pm
the most fascinating and mysterious figures in this whole episode. you can pick out different pieces of evidence from his background to paint a different picture about why he's doing this at all. you can say, well, he helped cover up iran contra. and he wrote a secret memo to donald trump's cronies basically saying why he can't commit obstruction of justice. you can say he's friends with robert mueller. he's an establishment republican. he's there to uphold the rule of law. we don't know why he's this to begin with or why he's doing what he's done so far of his actions tend to tip the scale a little more toward the cover-up and protecting the trump interpretation. >> and that's the final question. you may remember the famous line about someone giving good meeting. yeah. i think it is an old annie hall reference. does he give good hearing?
3:44 pm
he seems to go through again and have his way with it. he is almost explicitly understated in his responses to serious questions about alleged cover-ups. >> he is a good lawyer. and you can read in the cleverness and the evasiveness, you could say, of the way he phrases his very careful responses. you can read into the way he wrote his letter about mueller. heaving a lot left unsaid and leaving you curious, so what's between those blank spaces that we have to find out. >> well put. >> thanks for stopping by "the beat." good to see you. i'll be joined by the golden globe nominated actor, david o'yeo oyelo oyelowo. i'm working to make connections of a different kind. ♪ i'm working for beauty that begins with nature.
3:45 pm
♪ to treat every car like i treat mine. ♪ at adp we're designing a better way to work, so you can achieve what you're working for. ♪
3:46 pm
craftsmanship and technology that have made the rx the leading luxury suv of all time. lease the 2019 rx 350 for $409 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. whyou should be mad that airports are complicated... he's my emotional support snake. ...but you're not, because you have e*trade, whose tech isn't complicated. it helps you understand the risk and reward potential on an options trade. don't get mad. get e*trade. so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country.
3:47 pm
got it.r pickup order?eries to homes ran out of ink and i have a big meeting today. and 2 boxes of twizzlers... yeah, uh... for the team... the team? gooo team.... order online pickup in an hour. and, now buy one hp ink get one 30% off at office depot officemax. you don't see psoriasis. you see clear skin. you see me. but if you saw me before cosentyx... ♪ i was covered. it was awful. but i didn't give up. i kept fighting. i got clear skin with cosentyx. 3 years and counting. clear skin can last. see if cosentyx could make a difference for you. cosentyx is proven to help people with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis find clear skin that can last. don't use if you're allergic to cosentyx. before starting cosentyx, you should be checked for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to.
3:48 pm
if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me now. i'm still clear. how sexy are these elbows? get clear skin that can last. ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
3:49 pm
do you know something we keep hearing? that america is more polarized than ever. >> it's not just that the two sides, the left and the right don't agree. that they so vehemently disagree. i've never seen it in my 50 years of being a report he. >> in my lifetime, i've never seen this country divided like this. >> there is no question the trump era has deep political divisions. is it really the worst ever? even in living memory? we have so many periods of important upheaval in recent
3:50 pm
memory including the civil rights era which of course was met with violence and terrorism against black americans. tonight, i'm joined by the golden globe nominated actor david oscar nominated film, selma. >> the courts don't want us to march, but we must march. we must stand up. we must make a massive demonstration of our moral certainty. >> david joins me now. he has a new project, les mis. welcome to the beat. when you look at that portrayal and you have to study the history to live it, what do you think that we are more divided right now than ever. >> it's saddening and genuinely surprising. i remember when we did selma. we literally finished that film
3:51 pm
and then all hell broke loose in ferguson while we were in post and doing press. i remember being here in new york and have to stop some of the press we were doing in terms of taping because black lives matters was literally in its inception. there were protests the likes of which we hadn't seen for 50 years. >> let's look at selma, the rap scene that i know is emotional. >> together we believe that what the illusion of supremacy has destroyed, the truth of equality can nourish. thank you. >> hold your applause until i say.
3:52 pm
>> it's a little back stage. where does the acting stop in what looked like real true emotion? >> that was such a long journey for me. a seven-year journey between reading the script for first time and making the film. in that time, i spent a lot of time looking at dr. king, the civil rights movement and studying the history of this country. how that got and continued to be eroded since acquiring it back then in 1965. but also people lost their lives for this cause and i'm a tiny drop in the ocean of showing what dr. king & that movement
3:53 pm
does. and everyone in that project was so dedicated to the cause of what you saw there. an outpouring of emotion born out of all of that. >> dr. king famously did so much of this in his 20s. >> of course i studied him and the movement and i spoke to a lot of people who knew him, but the thing that really moved me was the fact that he wasn't actually as special as everyone likes to think. what i mean is he was very fallible and very flaw and very conflicted. he was very unsure at times, even insecure at times and did it anyway. >> tell us about les mis. >> a very different from dr. king. people will mostly know as the antagonist in that story. unlike the musical i was afforded and this was the opportunity to bring context to
3:54 pm
that character. he was born to criminal parents and transposes it and that's why he perceived it and gets to understand looking at the musical. we get to engage in it. >> the easiest question for last. how did you develop this line of being in really cool historic films? we have the butler, the help, mlk, i assume other people would love to be in this lane. >> you know what, i can't say it's something i sought out, but it's something i'm grateful for. >> it just happened this way? >> it just happened this way. >> you weren't like i need to go from lincoln to mlk? >> that would be presumptuous of me. that went into my preparation.
3:55 pm
i was in tusky ghee air men. that was before i went on to play dr. king. >> fantastic. a lot of people are interested in your rooapproach to these fi that are meaningful to a lot of people. thank you for coming on the beat. les mispremiers april 14th on pbs. n pbs. which led to new adventures, ♪ that captured their imaginations ♪ and turned moments into memories. with flights, hotels, activities and more for your florida vacation, expedia has everything you need to go.
3:56 pm
at to cover the essentialsyou have in retirement, as well as all the things you want to do. because when you're ready for what comes next, the only direction is forward. i felt i couldn't be at my best wifor my family. c,
3:57 pm
in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured and left those doubts behind. i faced reminders of my hep c every day. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. even hanging with friends i worried about my hep c. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. mavyret is the only 8-week cure for all common types of hep c. before starting mavyret your doctor will test if you've had hepatitis b which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b, a liver or kidney transplant, other liver problems, hiv-1, or other medical conditions, and all medicines you take including herbal supplements. don't take mavyret with atazanavir or rifampin, or if you've had certain liver problems. common side effects include headache and tiredness. with hep c behind me, i feel free... ...fearless... ...and there's no looking back, because i am cured. talk to your doctor about mavyret.
3:58 pm
so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. e-commerce deliveries to homes i was tired of having my calls dropped, and then i'd heard that i could get apple music if i switched over and i said, "boom!" (vo) the best network is even better with apple music on us. plus save big when you switch. only on verizon. when your flight gets in late,
3:59 pm
it's never too early for coffee. oh no no no. your new boss seems cool, but she might not be sweatpants cool. who is that ready this early? it's only 7 am. somebody help me. close call. not quite ready to face the day? that's why we're here with free hot breakfast and a warm welcome. book at hampton.com for our price match guarantee. hampton by hilton.
4:00 pm
that does it for our show. we will be back here at 6:00 p.m. eesh. we will have more coverage as bill barr faces the senate. "hardball" with chris matthews is up next. can the moment be tougher? let's play "hardball." >> good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. we ever looking at the possibility that the mueller report will turn out to be far tougher than william and donald trump have been saying. this could explain why the president is bashing both the mueller report and the democrats who want to see the document in full next week. the attorney general was on capitol hill speaking basketbally for the first time since he obtained the report almost three weeks

29 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on