Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word With Lawrence O Donnell  MSNBC  May 13, 2019 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
republicans in congress have been calling for investigations into the people, the law enforcement officials and intelligence officials, who started the investigations into what russia did and now we're seeing this bit that does it for us tonight. let's time for the "last word" with lawrence o'donnell. >> i was handed that story about 35 minutes ago when it broke. i'm watching you on tv knowing you don't know the story has broken way i read things be now, i'm thinking gee, rachel deserves another half hour. i should just let her take a half an hour of this real estate just to react to the story since you were leading -- they're basically referring to what james baker told you friday night in that "new york times" article. this is really moving now. >> and remember, we've got the judiciary committee in the senate led by lindsey graham who now says what he's going to investigate is the start of the russia investigation.
10:01 pm
and maybe hillary clinton's e-mails. we've got jeff sessions having already appointed a u.s. attorney named huber in utah to look at the origins of the russia investigation. we've got the inspector general at the justice department looking at the origins of that investigation. and now attorney general barr fresh off of pounding his chest in congress and saying we need to stop using oat justice department for political purposes. he too has appointed somebody else yet another u.s. attorney to look into the origins of that investigation. meanwhile, we have no idea what the results were of that investigation. we have the no idea what the findings were of the counter intelligence investigation noose russia and its potential links with the trump campaign. none of that ended in the mueller report. this whole idea the president is going to demand investigations of the investigators, of his political enemies it's not the dystopic future anymore. we're living through it. >> we got lucky in our booking tonight because we have mimi
10:02 pm
rocah ready to start off our discussion anyway. she knows all the players. this newest investigator, this new u.s. attorney coming into the picture and his past records and how meticulous he is. he's not quick. that's one of the points mimi is going to make. he's one of the people who led the investigation of the fbi misbehavior and crimes in boston in the whitey butter case. he's been through this kind of thing before. >> he was also the guy who looked whether or not trump -- george w. bush administration officials should potentially be prosecuted for the torture scandal of the bush administration. that was very controversial when it came out early in obama's tenure. he's been through the wars in terms of being right in the middle of provocative
10:03 pm
controversial stuff. his appointment itself to me is the huge news here regardless of what he eventually does. >> before you go, on memorial day when you're in the canoe, you know where i will be. >> not in the canoe? >> i won't be in the canoe on memorial day. i'm going to have to leave the canoe early on memorial day. >> why? >> to go to spartanburg, south carolina where the very next day, i will hoisting at 10:00 p.m. right here on msnbc a live town hall with presidential candidate kamala harris. >> that's going to be amazing. > that's trump country. that is the trump section of south carolina. he's going to be really interesting world and environment in which to be doing that. and so that's my. >> that's the day after memorial day, tuesday of that week into it says here tuesday, may 28th. >> i might take my canoe down there. >> ticks will be available, we're going to tell people how to get tickets. i've got one for you, a handwritten ticket >> i will paddle my way there. >> thank you, rachel. one thing i won't be doing on memorial day weekend is
10:04 pm
playing golf because i don't like golf. i wouldn't go so far as to say i hate golf. it's more that it golf and i do understand why anyone else cares about golf. that's what i would have said to you last week before spending the weekend with rick reilly's brilliant new book "commander in cheat," how golf explains trump. this book does what great writing can do. it can change the way you think. change the way you see things. it had changed the way i see donald trump, but it has changed the way i see golf. and what is important about golf. prior to this book, i never would have put the word important in the same sentence as golf. on this program, we have tried several ways to explain donald trump including the psychiatric. it turns out golf explains as much about donald trump as any other frame you can use to study him.
10:05 pm
at the end of this hour, we'll do something we have never done before on this program. we're going to talk about golf. if you're among not more than 90% of americans who never play golf, you'll discover a valuable new way of understanding the president of the united states and you're going to laugh out loud when rick reilly joins us tonight. this book includes lines liking this guy cheats like a mafia accountant and many other very funny lines about the president ho wants to be king of golf. rick reilly explains the importance of the president cheating at golf this way. he says, if you'll cheat to win at golf -- if you'll cheat to win at golf, is it that much further to cheat to win an election, to turn a congressional vote to, stop an investigation? we learned in the mueller report that the donald trump tried to stop robert mueller's investigation by firing him.
10:06 pm
white house counsel don mcgahn testified under oath that the president repeatedly ordered him to fire robert mueller. now president trump is trying to retroactively fire don mcgahn. on saturday he tweeted i was not going to fire bob mueller and did not fire bob mueller. actually lawyer don mcgahn had a much better chance of being fired than mueller. never a big fan! that tweet followed friday night reporting "the wall street journal" and "new york times"ing that don mcgahn refused a request from the trump white house to say that in his opinion is the president did not obstruct justice when he ordered don mcgahn to fire robert mueller. the "new york times" reports that the white house asked don mcgahn to issue a public statement before the redacted mueller report was publicly released but after the white house had already obtained a copy of the redacted mueller report and knew exactly what the mueller report said about don mcgahn's testimony that the president ordered him to fire robert mueller. the white house asked don mcgahn to be issue a statement saying he didn't think that was obstruction of justice again right after the mueller report was made public.
10:07 pm
don mcgahn has been subpoenaed by the house judiciary complete to testify about all of this next week but the white house is trying to block that testimony on the grounds of executive privilege and it is unclear what don mcgahn who is now a private citizen will do next week in response to that subpoena. halle jackson asked account president about don mcgahn today. >> should don mcgahn be held in contempt of congresses? >> i don't know anything about what's going on. >> yesterday trump attacked fbi director christopher wray who the president appointed to the job after he fired comey. he tweeted the fbi has no leadership -- the director is protecting the same gang that tried to overthrow the president through an illegal coupe. that is not true, no one attempted to overthrow throw the president. that has never happened. american history.
10:08 pm
donald trump is one of the very few presidents who has been the subject of a criminal investigation by a special prosecutor work within the justice department. that is a legal and constitutional process. the reason for the president's sudden attack on his own appointed fbi director is that the fbi director disagreed with what has become the trump way of describing the fbi, a description echoed by the president's new attorney general william barr. here is fbi direct ker christopher wray refusing to say the trump magic word "spying." >> when fbi agents conduct investigations against alleged mobsters, suspected terrorists, other criminals, do you believe that they're engaging in spying when they're following fbi investigative policies and procedures? >> well, that's not the term i would use. >> do you have any evidence that any illegal surveillance into the campaigns or individuals associated with the campaigns by the fbi occurred? >> i don't think i personally have any evidence of that sort. >> that was last week.
10:09 pm
and then this weekend, christopher wray becomes donald trump's newest attack target. donald trump may be on the verge of becoming only the fourth president in history to be the subject of impeachment proceedings according to house intelligence committee chairman adam schiff. he noted the trump administration is refusing to comply with pre single investigative inquiry that the house of representatives has made across multiple committees can of jurisdiction. >> it's certainly true these additional acts of obstruction, the president having obstructed the justice department investigation now obstructing congress does add weight to impeachment. >> leading off our discussion tonight, mimi rocah, former federal prosecutor and jennifer rueben at "the washington post." both are contributors. and mimi, let me go back to what rachel and i were discussing, and that is the report tonight that attorney general barr has appointed to u.s. attorney in connecticut john durham to do what is yet another
10:10 pm
investigation of the beginnings of the investigation of russian interference in the election. >> an investigation that we still don't know the full results of. we're going back and investigating the investigators of an investigation that we will still don't know the full results of. that's one of the main problems here i see. let's wait till we see the results that have investigation before we open yet another one. but also, as rachel said, i mean, we can't trust it. this isn't about durham. this isn't about what kind of prosecutor he is or isn't. by all accounts, he's investigated both republican administrations, democrat. he seems to be a cereal kerr prosecutor.
10:11 pm
but we can't trust it because of who is ordering the investigation. and it is an order. this came from trump. we have no way to separate trump's calls over the past two years for investigating the investigators and what has now happened. and the fact that bill barr has come across in these past few months shown himself to be such a partisan tool really for trump again, there's no faith that this has been independently vetted by the department of justice and there's some real basis for it, that it's something other than now a political investigation with the department of justice being used. >> knowing john durham's work as you do, is it possible that this is william barr's way of satisfying the boss of saying to the president okay, i've got someone doing exactly what you want and now he has this careful prosecutor who might end up taking a very long time who has no independent status. this is just something that's happening along with the job that he has -- has day job of being the u.s. attorney? connecticut.
10:12 pm
>> that is possible. his investigations in the past, i don't think he's ever worked quickly in these big investigations he's done before. so this is unlikely to be over before the next election. that could be a good thing but it also is going to allow trump to be out there saying you know, there's this cloud over the investigation still. but yes, at the end of the day, the same with the inspector general. we're still waiting on that report. and it is likely to be something that will have a little bit, that will satisfy everybody but will not be sort of the big about bombshell that trump has been waiting for. and so, you know, we need this to play out. but i think this is just another layer to too much.
10:13 pm
>> ability which william barr sacrificed awhile ago. >> that's right. and i think for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, he's decided to go down in history as mimi has said as a toadie. he is front and center, of course. he was found in contempt of congress by with the judiciary committee. he is refusing to appear before the judiciary committee because he doesn't want to be questioned by an actual lawyer. he has now taken up the president's investigation. the mere fact of it takes us one step away from our rule of law and democratic principles. it was very interesting that the president today was meeting with viktor orban, the leader of hungary. he must have been asking him for tips or maybe offering tips because this is out of the strong man's playbook that you disable the press, you dispute and ruin their credibility. you use powers that are supposed to be used under strict guidance, strict conditions for your own personal purposes. you use the investigative tools to turn them on your enemies. this is textbook kind of
10:14 pm
autocracy. i am very much warming to my old idea of a number of weeks ago that if they're not ready to impeach mr. trump, maybe they should start with mr. barr. he is behaving in ways that are completely inappropriate for an attorney general and it will be very interesting to see what happens if in fact the entire house votes him as a someone who is in contempt of congress and then what happens beyond there. but he's behaving in ways that i think are really unprecedented in doj history and i feel for the people who work there. there is a cloud hanging over them. and they are led by someone who does not have the credibility, who seems too willing and anxious to do the president's bidding. for all those professionals at the justice department, i'm sure they're keeping their nose to the grindstone and trying to be professional. they must be aware there's something rotten in the justice department. >> mimi rocah, you have this question of what is don mcgahn going to do --
10:15 pm
subpoena to testify to the judiciary committee. the white house is saying no, that's all executive privilege which is a difficult argument for them to make since he's already talked about it. but then the president comes out and publicly attacks don mcgahn. i mean, that in effect is pushing don mcgahn toward the judiciary committee. >> well, maybe. you know, i think that's in part what happened with for example, michael cohen. i think trump alienated him in some of his statements so much it pushed him more and more to the government that the didn't totally work out for michael the way he expected it to or hoped that it would. yes, i think that is a possibility. but i also think, i mean, i think and that i think people could disagree with this only prosecutors would disagree but i think that what trump is doing publicly with mcgahn in my mind istainments at witness intimidation. he is trying to show him i can hurt your reputation. he's already pulled his business from his law firm.
10:16 pm
he's starting now with the oh, you know, he wasn't such a great white house counsel and know, there's criminal statute that deals with that, whether it's criminal or not, we can be looking at this two years from now and saying did he intimidate or try to tamper with don mcgahn. it's certainly not something the president should be doing. it certainly would qualify as impeachable conduct. he's not executing the laws fairly as president should because he is clearly speaking out and trying to i think signal to mcgahn if you go there and you say what it says in that report, you know, there is going to be trouble for you. >> and jennifer rueben, the fbi director christopher wray is now on the president's attack list. >> correct. he made the unpardonable sin of telling truth and contradicting
10:17 pm
the president i guess in that regard. he's with a whole bunch of other aides by refusing to use the "s" word, the spying rule, he has made it a little bit more difficult for president trump to lie. but going back to what we were talking about mcgahn, this has gotten very meta as they say. we are talking about intimidating a witness who is himself a witness to obstruction of justice by the same person who is now trying to intimidate him. so you can't get more trump than this. and my sources tell me that don mcgahn very much wants to do this. at the realizes that there are legal concerns that he has a firm whose reputation is at issue but my understanding is that he very much wants to be, if you will, the john dean and come and tell his story honestly. that's exactly why trump is having a meltdown trying to prevent that. in the end, i think don mcgahn will be testify.
10:18 pm
>> mimi rocah, jennifer rueben, thank you very much for starting us off tonight. when we come back it, turns out don mcgahn testifying to congress isn't the only thing that donald trump doesn't know anything about. robert reisch will join us on the trump trade war which is getting worse and had a very, very bad day today for american consumers. you are paying the trump tariffs. not china. ere? can't see what it is yet. what is that? that's a blazer? that's a chevy blazer? aww, this is dope. this thing is beautiful. i love the lights. oh man, it's got a mean face on it. it looks like a piece of candy. look at the interior. this is nice. this is my sexy mom car. i would feel like a cool dad. it's just really chic. i love this thing. it's gorgeous. i would pull up in this in a heartbeat. i want one of these. that is sharp. the all-new chevy blazer. speaks for itself. i don't know who they got to design this but give them a cookie and a star. essential for the cactus, but maybe not for people with rheumatoid arthritis. because there are options. like an "unjection™".
10:19 pm
xeljanz xr. a once-daily pill for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well enough. xeljanz xr can reduce pain, swelling and further joint damage, even without methotrexate. xeljanz xr can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma have happened. as have tears in the stomach or intestines, serious allergic reactions, low blood cell counts, higher liver tests and cholesterol levels. don't start xeljanz xr if you have an infection. your doctor should perform blood tests before and while taking xeljanz xr, and monitor certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you've been somewhere fungal infections are common and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c, or are prone to infections. needles. fine for some things. but for you, one pill a day may provide symptom relief. ask your doctor about xeljanz xr. an "unjection™". plants capture co2. what if other kinds of plants captured it too?
10:20 pm
if these industrial plants had technology that captured carbon like trees we could help lower emissions. carbon capture is important technology - and experts agree. that's why we're working on ways to improve it. so plants... can be a little more... like plants. ♪ (burke) at fso we know how ton almost evercover almost anything. even rooftop parking. strange forces at work? only if you're referring to gravity-and we covered it. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
10:21 pm
here'sshow me making it. like. oh! i got one. the best of amy poehler. amy, maybe we could use the voice remote to search for something that you're not in. show me parks and rec. from netflix to prime video to live tv, xfinity lets you find your favorites with the emmy award-winning x1 voice remote. show me the best of amy poehler, again. this time around... now that's simple, easy, awesome. experience the entertainment you love on x1. access netflix, prime video, youtube and more, all with the sound of your voice. click, call or visit a store today.
10:22 pm
in the first half of the 20th century, the word began too figure out that trade wars have no winners, only losers. the basic principles of this were well-known by the time donald trump was supposed to be studying things like this in college but apparently he wasn't paying attention when the subject of tariffs came up. trump tariffs are now getting credit for today's very bad day for the stock market after china announced it will retaliate against the trump tariffs and the president responded to that
10:23 pm
by of course, threatening even more destructive tariffs. today's very bad day in the trump trade war came the day after the president's top economic adviser publicly admitted that china does not pay one penny of the trump tariffs. countries do not pay tariffs. consumers who buy imported products may pair riffs. only americans pay the trump tariffs. and donald trump's top economic adviser lawrence kudlow who has been as opposed to tariffs his entire professional life finally had to admit yesterday what the trump tariffs are doing. >> it's a tariff on goods coming into the country, the chinese aren't paying. > no, but the chinese will suffer gdp losses and so forth with respect to the a diminishing export market and goods they may need. >> they may suffer consequences but it's u.s. businesses and u.s. consumers who pay, correct? >> yes, to some extint. i don't disagree with that.
10:24 pm
>> every time the president opens his mouth about tariffs he adds to economic illiteracies in america. we prefer to avoid showing him talking about tariffs. we're going to show you two pieces of video to tem nonstraight how the president's talking points about tariffs have been somewhat tempered by the reality that china does not pay one penny of the tariffs. the trump tariffs. first we'll listen to the way the president said it on thursday. >> so our country can take in $120 billion a year in tariffs paid for mostly by china by the way, not by us. a lot of people try and steer it in a different direction. ultimately it's paid for largely by china. >> paid for mostly by china. that's thursday where the president is for the first time admitting that the tariffs are
10:25 pm
not paid entirely by china. he's saying they're paid mostly by klein which means someone else is paying those tariffs. so that's a baby step. that was a baby step toward the truth and then today the president very carefully avoided saying that china pays the tariffs. now, listen carefully to the way the president said it today. >> we're taking in right now hundreds of billions of dollars. billions of dollars of tariffs and those tariffs are going to be tremendously, if you look at what we've done thus far with china, we've never taken in ten cents till i got elected. now we're taking in billions and billions. >> he didn't say who he was taking those billions from. joining us now is robert reisch, former secretary of laborner the clinton administration and professor at the university of california at berkeley. his latest booksome the common good" was released in paperback. it is finally getting through to the news media certainly and maybe even to the white house who pays the trump tariffs. >> well, this is a trade war and in any trade war, the casualties, lawrence are, consumers.
10:26 pm
and in this particular trade war between the largest and second largest economies in the world, american consumers are already paying dearly. it's a hidden tax but a tariff is a tax. and the tax is a tariff. and you just can't avoid it. and donald trump can't avoid it. >> and the, it's basically a sales tax in the actual forms of it, it's paid at the port in the united states by the company nas importing those goods, the company then raises the price of that goods, those goods when sold to us to basically pay for the tariffs. >> exactly. and this is not something new. i mean, we have known how tariffs worked for approximately 130 years economists, not only economists but politicians. in 1930, congressman smooth and holly tried a very, very big experiment in international trade and that was a tariff that plunged us into a deeper depression than we were already
10:27 pm
in. >> and the history of this was been known for white awhile. larry kudlow himself opposed the tariffs of all kinds every day of his professional life. till he had to go to work for donald trump. >> did. and larry you know, i've debated larry on television for years. he is a friend, despite the fact we don't see eye to eye. wu we do on tariffs. i have talked to him over the last you're in fact as recently as three months ago, he was very worried about this. i don't think i'm giving away anything by saying this. he was worried trump would do what donald trump has done. i have worked for or advised a lot of presidents and in fact, there are republicans, as well democrat, presidents who don't understand economics generally get a lesson from their economic advisers. presidents who don't understand economics don't spout off and repeatedly say economic lies. i mean, this is basically --
10:28 pm
this is the dangerous and we're in a very, very dangerous territory right now. >> very slow learner in the white house. professor robert reisch, thank you very much for joining us tonight 37 really appreciate it. >> thanks, lawrence. >> when we come back, democratic presidential candidate seth moulton in tonight's contenders interview. i felt i couldn't be at my best wifor my family. c, in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured and left those doubts behind. i faced reminders of my hep c every day. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. even hanging with friends i worried about my hep c. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. mavyret is the only 8-week cure for all common types of hep c. before starting mavyret your doctor will test if you've had hepatitis b which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b, a liver or kidney transplant, other liver problems, hiv-1, or other medical conditions, and all medicines you take including herbal supplements.
10:29 pm
don't take mavyret with atazanavir or rifampin, or if you've had certain liver problems. common side effects include headache and tiredness. with hep c behind me, i feel free... ...fearless... ...and there's no looking back, because i am cured. talk to your doctor about mavyret. i'm missing out on our family outings because i can't find a bladder leakage product that fits. everything was too loose. but depend® fit-flex feels tailored to me. with a range of sizes for all body types. depend® fit-flex underwear is guaranteed to be your best fit. depend® fit-flex underwear openturning 50 opens theuard. door to a lot of new things... like now your doctor may be talking to you about screening for colon cancer. luckily there's me, cologuard. the noninvasive test you use at home. it all starts when your doctor orders me. then it's as easy as get, go, gone. you get me when i'm delivered... right to your front door and in the privacy of your own home.
10:30 pm
there's no prep or special diet needed. you just go to the bathroom, to collect your sample. after that, i'm gone, shipped to the lab for dna testing that finds colon cancer and precancer. cologuard is not right for everyone. it is not for high risk individuals, including those with a history of colon cancer or precancer. ibd, certain hereditary cancer syndromes, or a family history of colon cancer. maybe i'll be at your door soon! ask your doctor if cologuard is right for you. covered by medicare and most major insurers. (music throughout)
10:31 pm
roxana: when i got into teaching, it was this idea of really transforming our schools. marisa: one of my biggest responsibilities as a teacher is to serve as an advocate for my kids. newscaster: hundreds of teachers are hitting the picket lines. newscaster: thousands gathered here. rosanne: we need smaller class sizes. angelia: more counselors and more nurses. roxana: we have to be able to invest in our young people. angelia: every student has a right to quality education. ever: no matter what neighborhood you live in. roxana: our students don't have part-time needs, so they can't have part-time solutions. rodney: because we know quality public schools... roxana: make a better california... marisa: for all of us.
10:32 pm
here's a thought experiment. what the could get donald trump to trop mike pence has his running mate for re-election at the republican convention? what if the democratic nominee for president has no military experience which is true of almost all of the democratic candidates. but that democratic nominee chooses a running mate with military experience. woman donald trump want to have military experience on the ticket with him? would he push out mike pence and replace him with mike pompeo who is a west point graduate? that's why you have to look at the field of 21 democratic candidates for president and
10:33 pm
pick two, pick two, pick your favorite for president and pick one for vice president. pick one who you think adds something to the ticket. that's why you have to give all of the candidates a good look no matter where they are in the polls. congressman seth moulton is say graduate of harvard college and harvard business school and he is a decorated combat veteran, a mr. who served you four tours of duty in iraq. congressman seth moulton is now a candidate for president. if he ends up on the democratic contingent, might he actually knock mike pence off the republican ticket? that is not a question for seth moulton. that is a question for you voters to consider as you strategically evaluate everyone in the democratic field of candidates. joining us now is congressman seth moulton, democratic member of the house of representatives from massachusetts and a candidate for president.
10:34 pm
you are running for president. you are not running for vice president. and so i want to ask you as i've been asking all the candidates what they would actually do sitting in the white house in that job and i want to begin tonight by showing you something that the current occupant of the job said today about iran. let's listen to what the president said about that. >> reporter: are you seeking regime change. >> we'll see what happens with iran. if they will do anything, it would be a very bad miss trach. i'm hearing little stories about iran. if they do anything, they will suffer greatly. we'll see what happens with iran. >> if you were asked the question are we going to war with iran, sitting in the oval office, what would you say? >> first of all, i fought iranians before on the ground in iraq. 2004. it was bloody. we won. and i'd fight iran again if necessary but this is not necessary. sending 120,000 troops into the middle east because of provocations from iran, i mean we had provocations back in september.
10:35 pm
they attacked the baghdad embassy. secretary mat diswho has fought iranians said no. we're not going to get into a war. this is -- this is chicken hawks in the administration. i mean, if you still had definition of chicken hawks in the dictionary, it would be john bolton and donald trump. and by the way, i think we all know who is the hawk and who is the chicken. i don't think that trump even has control over his national security adviser right now. he's trying to drag us into a war with iran just like he did 15 years ago in iraq. >> talk about what it was like to serve in a war that you opposed and what did that teach you that you would bring to the oval office? >> that you shouldn't go into car until unless it's absolutely necessary. i've seen marines hurt and killed. iraqis by iranians, you don't fight unless you absolutely have to. i just don't think people in this administration understand
10:36 pm
that, and donald trump you know got out of fighting in his war. think about the contrast between donald trump and john f. kennedy. john kennedy used his father's connections to get medically cleared to go to war. donald trump used his father's connections to lie about bone spurs so he wouldn't have to serve. and there's not -- it wasn't like there's an empty seat in the vietnam because trump didn't go. someone went in his place. i'd like to meet that american patriot who took donald trump's place in vietnam. >> someone who was processed through the draft board in queens where donald trump's draft was deferred through that. >> and that's the point. that's why i kept going back to iraq. i didn't agree with the war. in fact, i was an outspoken critic of it, but i didn't want anyone to go in my place. i knew that every single day in iraq being there on the ground on the frontlines i was able to effect how that war was fauths much more so than being back
10:37 pm
home and you know, that's what's veterans are all about. they don't go to war because marines are soldiers. we don't go to war because we think it's perfect. this is a perfect war. we go because we don't want people to go in our place and want to make it better. that's service. that's true patriotism. not war mongering, not fear mongering like this commander in chief is doing. >> donald trump has another war going that's going badly. the trump trade war with the trump tariffs. as president, would you repeal the trump tariffs? >> yes, but we do have to confront china and this is something that's important. china is a national security threat. it's an economic threat to the united states. china is literally stealing our business ideas, our military secrets every day through the internet. that is really costing american jobs. the irony of this administration is that he's allocated more money to build a southern border wall, a fifth century b.c. technology than cyber security for the entire security.
10:38 pm
we needed to turn that around. when you think about china, they debated building a wall 3,000 years ago. they're past that and now saying they're going to lead the world in artificial intelligence. what's our response? nothing from there administration. they're attacking us through the internet, stealing american jobs. what's our response? nothing from thisization. so we need to be smart and tough on china. but starting a trade war that just hurts american farmers? hurts american consumers? puts a tax on all the goods? if you shop at walmart, you're going to be paying more in the next few weeks because of trump's tariffs. that's hurting american families. that's not helping us with china, that's hurting us. >> would you join as president obama wanted to do join the trans-pacific partnership as a way of isolating china in the pacific trade region. >> i was skeptical of the tpp because i didn't think it went far enough for labor and environmental protections. trump has pulled out. you've got to have a seat at the table and in the negotiation
10:39 pm
because otherwise china sets the rules for the pacific 37 trump is very good at tearing things down. he's disparaged nato trying to tear that apart he's pulled us out of paris. think about all the countries that followed president obama into the paris accords. do you know how many have followed trump out of them? none. president obama got russia and china even to agree to come together to prevent iran from getting a nuclear weapon. trump just pulls out would the a plan. no one follows but now iran is threatening to become a nuclear power. which we cannot let happen. so trump is great at tearing things down but he has no idea how to build things. the same thing here at home. he's tried for years, to take health care away from millions of americans to repeal obamacare without any plan to replace it. what's your plan, mr. president? we need to show america how we're going to fix these things
10:40 pm
and both at home with health care and i have a plan to bring health care to americans without forcing them on toy an government plan but also allowed, how we strengthen alliances and build a pacific version of natoing to contain china and north korea, how we strengthen alliances like nato and modernize them when russian is not attacking us with tanks but through the internet. how we bring a new generation of leaders into american national security to make america safe and strong inning this new world of threats. i think it's time for those of us who fought in iraq and afghanistan to step in for those who sent us there. >> what is your health care plan. >> so i'm the only candidate in this race who is actually gets single payer health care. i made a commitment to continue going to the va when i was laektsed to congress. we know it's a broken system. and i'll tell you, i've seen the good, bad and the ugly. there are some things the va does well. they negotiate prescription drug care prices.
10:41 pm
>> medicare is prevented by law from doing that. would you change that law? >> absolutely. i would also not force americans on to a government plan designed in 1963 if they don't want to give up their private health care plan. why? because i think competition is good. >> so you'd open medicare to people who want to the. >> exactly. this is exactly what president obama called for in a public option. a public option that competes against private options. if it competes them out of business, so be it. the point is competition brings down prices for everybody. think about the u.s. postal service. does anyone -- if the next president went to congress and said we are going to put ups and fedex out of business so they no longer compete with the u.s. postal system, is there any american who thinks that would improve efficiently or lower prices? no. in the same way that competition is good gore delivering packages, it's good for delivering health care. i say that knowing what it's like to get single payer par
10:42 pm
health care to sit in waiting rooms where people very literally died waiting to get care. the first time i got surgery at the va, they sent me home with the wrong medications. so we have to do better than that. i think that's what the american people want. >> let me ask you about impeachment. if you were serving in the white house and there was a report showing that you had asked the white house counsel to fire it the prosecutor who was investigating you, would you expect to be impeached? >> yes. >> do you think this president should be impeached? >> i think we absolutely need to have that debate in congress. and the right thing to do. >> when we have that debate in the congress, are you going to say yes or no? >> you can tell where i'm leaning here, but the right thing to do, the right constitution is duty for us in congress is to have that debate beforing on gres, before the american people. get all the facts including the full mueller report. we don't even have that yet. then you have a vote.
10:43 pm
i think our party made a mistake by not starting that debate. i voted for this debate last year because we should be having this discussion. and there are a lot of people who argue oh, it's political. it's bad. it's not the right time politically it's bad for the 2020 election. how about butting the constitution and the country first. how about doing what's right regardless of what the politics are? that's what we do. i swore an oathing to protect and defend the constitution of the united states. not my political party, you know, not my political future. it's the same oath i swore as a united states marine officer. we've got uphold that oath and holding the administration accountable is in the constitution. that's our constitution is duty. >> congressman seth moulton, presidential candidate. thank you very much for joining us tonight. really appreciate it. >> thank you. >> when we come back, a book about golf that i love and i have never liked golf until i read this book because it explains donald trump.
10:44 pm
woman: (on phone) discover. hi. do you have a travel card? yep. our miles card. earn unlimited 1.5 miles and we'll match it at the end of your first year. nice! i'm thinking about a scuba diving trip. woman: ooh! (gasp) or not. you okay? yeah, no, i'm good. earn miles. we'll match 'em at the end of your first year. it's the idea that if our mothers were diagnosed with cancer, how would we want them to be treated?
10:45 pm
that's exactly how we care for you. with answers and actions. to hear your concerns, quiet your fears, lift your spirits. that's the mother standard of care. this is how we inspire hope. this is how we heal. cancer treatment centers of america. appointments available now. ♪ cancer treatment centers of america. onmillionth order.r. ♪ there goes our first big order. ♪
10:46 pm
44, 45, 46... how many of these did they order? ooh, that's hot. ♪ you know, we could sell these. nah. ♪ we don't bake. ♪ opportunity. what we deliver by delivering. what do all these people have in common, limu?oug [ paper rustling ] exactly, nothing. they're completely different people, that's why they need customized car insurance from liberty mutual. they'll only pay for what they need! [ gargling ] [ coins hitting the desk ] yes, and they could save a ton. you've done it again, limu. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
10:47 pm
when you rent from national... it's kind of like playing your own version of best ball. because here, you can choose any car in the aisle, even if it's a better car class than the one you reserved. so no matter what, you're guaranteed to have a perfect drive. [laughter] (vo) go national. go like a pro. see what i did there? donald trump has said that he thinks golf should be a pastime for the rich. and that are one of the reasons you should want to become rich is so you can afford an expensive membership at a country club and then go out there and play golf with rich people. or as donald trump prefers, cheat at golf.
10:48 pm
but as rick reilly's best selling new book "commander in cheat," how golf explains trump taught me this weekend, golf was a game invented in scotland by shepherds not by rich people and that 90% of golfers in america play mostly at private golf courses and that most of them do not cheat because as the great golfer ben crenshaw said, golf is a game with a conscience. pg wood house once wrote to find a man's true character, play golf with him. rick riley has played golf with donald trump and he has spoken to many other people who have played goofl with donald trump and none of them liked the true character of the man when they played golf with him. adam levine, a 15-year-old boil who beat donald trump at golf 12 years ago remembers he didn't even say congratulations or good match. he's a total a-hole with no character. that was one time when donald trump could not clete his way to a win. rick riley says that donald
10:49 pm
trump lies so much about golf, that "trump's nose has grown so long, he could putt with it." there are many ways to be offended by donald trump, rick riley says he's offended as a golfer. rick rile little learned the game from his father. everyone in the quilly clan goflz including his 91-year-old aunt. "we have a giant nine-hole family tournament every year. the riley roundup. everyone wears a yellow shirt just like the one we buried my dad in." for the rileys, golf is a test of skill and a test of character rick rilery quotes a psychiatrist in his explaining why donald trump has to cheat at golf. why it is part of his narcissistic personality disorder. we will read you that statement by harvard medical school psychiatry professor when rick reilly joins us after this final commercial break and rick reilly will explain to you how golf became such a popular recreation for presidents even presidents
10:50 pm
who didn't play much golf before moving into the white house and he'll explain why president woodrow wilson painted his golf balls black. while he's at it rick reilly will tell you how golf explains donald trump. ♪ goin' down the only road i've ever known ♪ ♪ like a drifter i was-- ♪ born to walk alone! keep goin' man! you got it! if you ride, you get it. ♪ here i go again geico motorcycle. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more. and relief from symptoms caused by over 200 indoor non-drowsy claritin and outdoor allergens. like those from buddy. live claritin clear. for one week only, save up to $18 on select claritin products. check this sunday's newspaper for details.
10:51 pm
when your flight gets in late, it's never too early for coffee. oh no no no. your new boss seems cool, but she might not be sweatpants cool. who is that ready this early? it's only 7 am. somebody help me. close call. not quite ready to face the day? that's why we're here with free hot breakfast and a warm welcome. book at hampton.com for our price match guarantee. hampton by hilton. book at hampton.com for our price match guarantee. leave no man behind. or child. or other child. or their new friend. or your giant nephews and their giant dad.
10:52 pm
or a horse. or a horse's brother, for that matter. the room for eight, 9,000 lb towing ford expedition. on a john deere x300 series mower. because seasons change but true character doesn't. wow, you've outdone yourself this time. hey, what're neighbors for? it's beautiful. run with us. search "john deere x300" for more. when it comes to reducing the evsugar in your family's diet,m. coke, dr pepper and pepsi hear you. we're working together to do just that. bringing you more great tasting beverages with less sugar or no sugar at all. smaller portion sizes,
10:53 pm
clear calorie labels and reminders to think balance. because we know mom wants what's best. more beverage choices, smaller portions, less sugar. balanceus.org
10:54 pm
a harvard medical school professor of psychiatry is one of the coauthors of the best seller "the dangerous case of donald trump." he has appeared on this program discussing this book and the president's personality disorder and in rick reilly's best selling new book "commander in cheat, how golf explains trump" the professor explains why donald trump cheats at golf. because he has to. he needs to be the best at everything. he can't stand not winning, not being the best. it had to have started very early in his development. to him, not being the best is like fingernails on the blackboard to you. he can't live with it.
10:55 pm
he exaggerates his golf scores and handicap for the same reason he exaggerates everything. he has to. he exhibits all the traits of a narcissistic personality disorder. people with this disorder have no conscience about it. he has no sense of morality about things. he lacks empathy toward others. he is a very ill man. he doesn't get that other people have rights and feelings. other people just don't matter to him. joining us now is rick reilly "new york times" best selling author of "commander in cheat, how golf explains trump." rick, thank you very much for joining us tonight. really appreciate you being here. i just wanted to give the audience a quick taste of the kind of cheating donald trump engages in when he's out there on the golf course. >> okay. it's incredible. he kicks the ball so much the
10:56 pm
caddies call him pele. he'll kick your ball in the bunker. he's been known to fake a bunker shot as though he was actually hitting the ball but the ball was in his right hand. then he reaches in the hole and pretends he holed it. if he's been on your team he'll kick your ball into better position and a lot of guys are like what are you doing? and they put it back. some guys when they're on his team and he cheats the whole way around win and they go out to the parking lot and give the money back. i mean, lawrence, i can't tell you how strange this is in the world of golf. it would be like if you walked into the sistine chapel, sat your lazy boy down, and did your laundry. we don't do this in golf. there is no reason for him to be such a cheater in golf. he's over 70 years old, about a 10 handicap. that's pretty good. there is no reason he's got to lie and say he's a 3. there is no reason he's got to say i've won 20 club championships when i can't prove he's won any. he won club championships he
10:57 pm
didn't even play in. sometimes he wasn't even in the same state. sometimes he walks into a club house, sees the other guy's name on the wall, and goes, ah, i beat that guy all the time. make me the club champion for that year. they're like, what? they got to pull this guy's name down and put his name up. i mean, i don't know about politics. i'm just a sportswriter but i've been covering golf for 40 years and you don't do this. you don't drive your cart on greens. you don't cheat your friends. it's a game, the easiest game to cheat at because you're 200 yards over there, lawrence, and i'm 200 yards over here and i trust you're not going to throw it out of the woods and you trust me that i'm not going to pick it out of the water. and yet there is a whole group of guys who play with him, one time he hits it in the water. he sees the splash but trump is always 200 yards ahead in his super go cart. by the time they get to the fairway it's back on the fairway.
10:58 pm
it's not in the pond anymore. they said, donald, we're playing a money game. he goes it must have been the tide. >> rick, you've done a brilliant job in this book in explaining this to people like me who know nothing about golf and have never cared about golf. you also did a great job conveying the culture of golf and the honor of golf and the way it's supposed to be. you did that through your father who i feel like i know now. it is kind of a beautiful book. it's also very, very funny when it comes to the details of what donald trump does. talk for a minute about the golf and the presidency and why it has become something presidents are drawn to, even some who didn't play much golf before they became president. >> yeah. i think of our last, i don't know, only three haven't played golf since golf became a thing in america. it's because all those problems, they just wait right beneath
10:59 pm
where you're sleeping. you kind of get out. and the secret service kind of likes golf because they can control the territory. and so almost everybody but carter didn't play it. truman didn't play it. woodrow wilson entered the white house not having played it and his doctor said if you don't start playing golf you'll have a heart attack. so wilson started playing it every day. he would play nine holes, rain or shine, snow or sun, and be back at his desk by 9:30. in fact, he did play in the snow and that's why he painted his golf balls black. eisenhower used to walk the halls of congress and the white house with a 6 iron so he could practice the swing. he's the guy that built a putting green outside the oval office because it relaxed him so much. sometimes he'd forget to take off his golf spikes and it used to be you could lean down and feel the golf holes. >> rick reilly, this is the great father's day book. father's day is coming up. it's great if your father plays golf, great if your father does not play golf.
11:00 pm
this is really an amazing, really a beautiful book, rick. you made me a convert at least to the understanding of golf. i'm still not going to go out on the golf course. rick reilly, thank you very much for joining us tonight. really appreciate it. >> okay. . tonight the jarring chaos currently under way, financial markets royaling amid a trade war, stocks and the dow tumbling more than 600 points as china hits us back on tariffs. tonight we learned about contingencies for u.s. troops going to war with iran as the president says we'll see what happens. plus, trump plans a new meeting with putin, rod rosenstein takes aim at jim comey, and trump's own fbi director appears to be the next big target. just another monday night in the trump administration as "the 11

31 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on