Skip to main content

tv   [untitled]    August 2, 2010 10:00am-10:30am PST

11:00 am
population and -- as our own research manning and assessment office has said, there's a saturation effect you have when you have a significant -- percentage of the student population that are second-language learners and immigrants and others are identified for special education. for the larger of that population of students, which we welcome all herners at mission high and all of our schools. there are -- it reaches a capacity and you have 70% of her incoming freshmen scoring far below basic before they get there. it is a significant challenge. it is an extra hurdle. even when nag gar row was here recently, he stated there's a capacity for a school to be able to climb out of and succeed. and so inning in some of our schools, we -- that capacity has been -- has been surpassed by -- some of those other factors of
11:01 am
support and structure that the students need. whether that be there are language issues and very high need immigrant population that needs language development. and more time than one year before they take the test. or students with -- learning handicaps and emotionally disturbed. it is student that is are identified as eligible for special education. and mission high has a high population of special ed. >> and what would -- could you give an example of what the toolbox would be under a grant program like this? what would you look at? >> well, we're looking at, with our new student assignment system, we're also looking at how we can -- have more control over the -- the incoming student that is come into a school so we don't reach that maximum capacity, so that we are looking
11:02 am
at incoming student achievement data. and that -- that is something that we're looking at. and i think that -- you know for all of the schools, they they'd, one of the things that mission is looking at for their school improvement grant, i know is the urban teacher residentcy program. that's in partnership with stanford, so they were selected as a pilot school for the model teaching residentcy program. so, it is -- it is a little more complicated than that. so if we could move on from mission. >> generally, the meetings that have been held, the community meetings, are they well attended? are they being strongly attended by parents? >> they -- the attendance part i would have to defer to my colleagues and people that are out here that can tell you that have actually attended the meetings. >> commissioner mendoza, they have been well attended
11:03 am
meetings. >> i think -- i thank you. commissioner fewer. >> and yes. thank you, do you have -- i just wanted to bring to the attention of the committee that there was a willie brown school i think that -- i think that facility that sells, i don't know of anyone that has been out there to visit it, that facility itself was condemned at the police academy and we now have students in it and they're, if you took a trip out there and visited that school, you would see that actually the plan to close the school and be fabulous is what the community needs. we're looking at the high concentrations that kevin spoke. high consen stration of pacific islanders at schools and because as you know, the way our system has been set up, and so -- and quite frankly it is racist that it is hard for the -- for -- we get over 60% of that population.
11:04 am
this is in the through our aassessment but through the harvest civil rights project and folks at stanford that help with the analysis, that's harder for -- for overall school achievement. and so, i think that when he's speaking about mission high school that some of the things that we're keeping in mind, and high concentration and latinos and the man respect and pacific islanders in one school. what we're seeing is that because of the services and the way we set up the system that it is harder for stunts to achieve at higher levels. we're also trying to change that with our new strategic plan as you know, very equity based and we're looking at the offerings of honors and a.p. and the rigor of some of the courses that the students are eligible to take. frankly in our district we have had a severe tracking, and so many of the students have not even had the opportunity to
11:05 am
experience a class with great academic rigor. especially those with -- as english language learners. we're working, i like to add on to this, we're working structurally and internally around curriculum and around equity and access to a very rigorous curriculum as you know, we have just passed an a.c.g. graduation requirement. so all of those things i think combined are part of the overall district trans form mathes so that -- we cannot have these -- these persistent lilo performing schools. i just want to comment about the community calling meetings and -- i think that is -- i have to commend the community and i think that's a really good thing to do. because, you know what, it keeps us on our toes. the community should be pushing back. the community should be demanding information and we should be responding in a manner that is accessible to the
11:06 am
community. yes, we should be setting up meetings that also the community should be setting up meetings, a sense of organizing and healthy tension helps make us better and i like to thank the community for organizing you folks and letting parents and school communities know about this. and pushing us to do a better job around community engagement. thank you. >> thank you. i want to say i appreciate the fact that these have been benchmarked with my personal experience and the programs you had over the years. you said it is important to have that. i know we also have been joined by patricia gray and also an outstanding former principal. i don't think that miss gray. i don't know if you have anything to add, miss gray, but it is good to see you here. >> and the only thing i would like to -- [in audio]
11:07 am
>> the one was call bid the parents and the other was called by -- called by -- >> thank you. one thing i was wondering about. in terms of the face two -- phase two option. could you say a bit about what that looks like and -- sort of -- >> just that it is going toob a -- kevin probably could do that better. anything done with the school will not happen until next year, will not begin until next year. >> we don't feel we have the capacity -- to -- to work with all 10 schools in one year. and so by delaying -- some of them to the second year, it gives us a chance to work with some the first year and some the second year. >> okay. i don't know if this is kevin or you who would have more information on this but in terms of the benchmarks, can you say a bit about, you know what they look like and how they -- they
11:08 am
were developed? >> well, i don't know but -- the reason, the high school principal has been asking for benchmark assessments for years. because as -- as a deputy superintendent, said. when you take the c.s.t., it is an autopsy. we needed to have the benchmark assessment so we could tell how our students are doing before it gets to the c.s.t. our a.p.d. department is developing those benchmark assessments and they'll be ready by june 15th. >> and is there any community input on the development of those benchmarks. >> i don't think so. >> no. >> and i think that it may be -- may be helpful as you talk to the community to at least get a sense for, you know, some of the things i already, the priority that is respective communities have in mind. >> i do know that they don't feel that the c.s.t. validly represents what their children know. and -- that is probably true. but right now, this is about the
11:09 am
california standards test and so each of the benchmarks is to see how the teachers are -- are getting the information across the c.s.t. information, the california standards information and so that's why we have not had community input. >> and you want to ask? >> and what i have asked, and based on a long conversation with carver because they're at phase 2. they're going to implement the benchmarks next year although not part of the school improvement grant process. what they're doing is -- going to arctic hate, put a plan in place for all of the teachers are going to meet and how they will keep up with the pacing guides and schedule those benchmark assessments and collect the student work and analyze the work and the parts of community input is really around how are you going to receive that information? when could you expect the benchmarks and what are the marks for that level?
11:10 am
>> how are the schools going to articulate them to parents and families? that's a major part of the community input. how do you want to receive that information? this is -- and what is going to be most palatable for you. when we deliver that information to you, what is most peengful. >> okay. >> and the benchmark assessments will assess what the california standards that children know. how the teachers teach those standards will be up to the -- to the school and the teacher. so they can use culturally relevant things to teach those standards. and that's what i think the pin is that you're -- the point is you're alluding to. >> i know some schools, we have a very active and engaged parent community that certainly we would like to get information about that. so i appreciate the fact that you will be sharing that. commissioner mendoza?
11:11 am
>> thank you. i wanted to -- to make a couple of notes to the supervisors about the challenges that we have on this, and when we were -- when our schools were identified, the 5% of the low performing schools, we originally had 12 on the list and two were taken off and now we have 10. there was confusion around the state's obligation and the federal government's obligation and i think the simplest way to think about this is the state has put several schools on a list and the federal government has dollars to help us to -- to make improvements on those schools. and so those are the relationship pieces and there still hasn't been any true, clear alignment on -- did we have to do all 10 at once or could we phase in? several of us were in washington d.c. a few months ago.
11:12 am
our superintendent actually challenged our -- the secretary of education and basically said how is this possible that we could take on10 schools whether it be capacitywise or just in terms of trying to figure out models and replacing principals and shifting and staff and the disruption for communities. i'm happy to see the phasing in piece is stabilized and we'll work on schools as we feel thatee the immediacy of the issue -- prioritizing them accordingly. and so i think that that is really important to know. and -- and i think that -- i think that the -- the other pieces, we're, we could be eligible for $50,000 or $2 million. $50,000 is not going to do anything for us, but $2 million could do something. we have been trying to take this approach of let's see what we
11:13 am
could -- how can we dream 0 make a school a very viable and and active school and so many of our schools that are in the category are already engaging and doing -- doing really great things. but i think that -- you know one of the challenges that we had, when we look at the data is -- it is very compelling when you only have 23 or 25% or 30% of your students that are at proficient. that -- should not be acceptable and so we're really looking, i mean as hard as this has been for us to go to the communities and talk about it, we also want to see what we could do to make -- to make our schools better. so this is an opportunity. we're looking at this as that, as an opportunity and so, so i really appreciate that you have brought this forward to -- supervisor campos because so many schools in the district are affect bid this and and so the support and your visibility makes a huge difference in making sure that our schools are
11:14 am
-- are doing the right thing for our students. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> commissioner. and appreciate that. commissioner fewer. >> i also want to thank you for bringing this forward, because i think the moraven throughs in which we get out the information, the better. the more people here it -- hear it and more informational, the real information will get up there and i just want to say something about the benchmarks. and i like to add to what mr. fewer said. as we set the benchmarks and as you see that students aren't meeting benchmarks, then i think the pressure on the district is, so what do you do about it? and that's why we have this -- we have high schools and middle schools on these lists too. we have let children slip through the cracks and we haven't stopped and intervene when we thought they weren't meeting benchmarks or assessments. i think it is really important that the district then gives a parent notice that their child is not meeting the benchmarks,
11:15 am
what is the district going to do about it? keep the pressure coming and then i want to say, i -- i -- this is a really hard process, because we're getting, we're talking to school communities and some school communities are getting excited about this but then, we don't know if we get $550,000 or $2 million. it could be exciting. and $50,000, we'll -- we're excited about pushing good karma our way for the $2 million and then -- you know, we're planning to get the $2 million to get great trappings formation and change and great things for our students. >> thank you. as i understand it, this concludes the -- the district's presentation, and i like to call now margaret brock and -- from the san francisco new day for learning -- which has a partnership with the school
11:16 am
district, they -- they bring a very unique perspective, from the vantage point of an entityy that works closely with community members to meeblize community resources on behalf of the school strict. miss brock, good to see you here. >> thank you. and the new day for learning is a partnership between the city, the school alliance and the school strict and it is to help us all focus on partnerships and make learning something that we're all responsible for. and really to promote the idea of a community school, which we have been working on if the last year and we're -- working with some of your schools, supervisor campos. and we're -- and so, we were asked by the district to play a role in this because a part of the -- of the grant requires increasing learning time and creating community oriented schools. so that the grant is divided into four sections and this is
11:17 am
one of the sections. so we will be working on that section. and i think everyone involved in this is really working hard and taking a very painful and difficult time challenged situation and trying to -- to sort of take a deep breath and see it as an opportunity to do something important in a totally unrealistic amount of time, i might add but i think everyone is doing their absolute best. and so our role is to look at about five components of this and i'll just tell you about it for a minute because this are things that i know people in the community and people on the board of supervisors have some -- some knowledge of and capacity to even help, help shape. and so, one is a very high priority of all of these schools which is mental health services and social and emotional development and we're looking at -- at proposing or laying on the table for the district to
11:18 am
consider a model of service that actually instituted, the familiar is -- an expert in in this and taking a whole suite of mental health services into a school, not just one therapist here and there. and we think that it is -- that we can through this grant really cultivate and nurture and -- develop that, develop that model. and we're looking at how to extend the learning day and have an extended learning time and one of the things we did was meet with all of the c.b.o.'s and -- in -- a lot if the mission. and so many of the schools are -- in the mission to talk about -- how we have afterschool people really coming into the school early and link what they do to what goes on in the schools and we have a comprehensive approach to learning that our c.b.o.'s are involved in as our, as our schools and really cement that kind of partnership. and we're looking at parent and community engagement and of
11:19 am
course the district has been through a year and a half process of developing a parent and -- empowerment, report so we're -- we're using that report as the basis of the things we will put on the table for the district to consider, viss a vi parent empowerment and there's a lot about adequate staffing and parent outreach and parent leadership and how to really perhaps -- perhaps have leadership coacheses in the schools and how -- really make that a major emphasis as well as partnerships with c.b.o.'s and we're looking at community engagement strategies which we're looking at, including the ideas of having a community school leader and -- at each school so that we really can cultivate the community school model and i do want to say something about a neighborhood approach. and -- as -- ask you supervisor campos because seven of these schools are in your district, which is quite remarkable and tragic on one hand and an
11:20 am
opportunity for the district and the neighborhood to really mobilize and in a new way around the schools. that we as part of meow new day for learning will work with our colleagues in the community to figure out how all of our c.b.o.'s and community groups can really capitalize on the assets of the district, such as the fact there are wonderful parts of organizations in the district and they have capacity of the district to address some of the therapeutic and learning support needs and enrichment needs of our students so it could be a community organizing and a community empowerment strategy it ramp our arms these schools and around an education agenda. so, i -- look forward to working with you as a supervisor to make that happen. and i think this has been shocking and stunning for everyone, that we have such a high concentration of our highest need schools in the mission. we want to see it as a way to really mobilize and -- use it as an opportunity to change the way
11:21 am
we to business and the way we partner together to really meet the needs of our students. so, i'm very pleased to be able to participate in this and -- try and turn it into the best thing that it can possibly be, given the limitations that we have. >> thank you. i look forward to working with you, just have a couple of questions. you -- do you have any message for parents out there who -- who are listening or who, who -- may be hearing -- may be hearing about this? >> there's a com miment -- -- there is a commitment that we really ratchet up and improve the extent to which parents are involved in the education of their children and in the running of our schools and even in the -- in the major decisions being made as a -- at the district level. i think for parents, this is an opportunity to really hold the district accountable and hold us
11:22 am
all accountable and to what the goals and aspirations and requirement and benchmarks are in this grant. >> i don't know if you have thoughts as to what else could be done -- to -- to enhance the involvement of a -- parents and familys in the process, you know -- we heard from the school district about all of the things that are happening and i'm wondering if anything else that you think could also. >> we have to see the processes as starting on june 1st, not ending on june 1st. we could have a rash of meetings and need to do that and have one-to-one meetings. i have attended many of the meetings and i cop vened meetings. i think it is very powerful but it is a beginning. and -- at every single meeting parents are saying that they want this to be the beginning of a dialogue. i think what we need to do is -- sort of keep the momentum going and -- not see it as ending on
11:23 am
june 1st but see it as beginning on june 1st. >> thank you very much. colleagues, and -- any questions. i think that conclusion the presentation. i know we have a number of members of the audience of the public here, so let me read the names and as your name is called please come forward. and -- dennis, la rosa, deleon and alberto and orland and rachel. and terra ramos and richard johnson. and if there's any member of the audience that would like to speak, please come forward. [speaking spanish] >> you each have three minutes. go ahead. thank you for being here. >> thank you. what i would like to say is
11:24 am
that, we the parents -- i'm the parent liaison at cesar chavez. i'm invested in the elementary school. and we have won a battle. we want to say that6 c1 school. i want to say we have obtained -- we have won the victory in obtaining the best education for our children for their future. and thanks to the persistent organizing of the cesar chavez elementary school parents under the leadership of the jamestown community center. the district has heard us, taken into consideration the concerns of our parents and have allowed us to keep our principal, and we'd like to thank the district for that. and i'd also like to say i am proud of being a part of cesar chavez school. i'm proud of the efforts the parents have made, worked very hard. we've all worked very hard.
11:25 am
and as i said as well as being a parent liaison, i'm also a parent and have participated in this and i am just proud of the way that they have organized the meetings, the parents have called the meetings, they prepared the agendas with specific questions, and this was an opportunity for us as parents to learn that, you know, it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. and my hope is that this will continue and it will build the confidence of the parents as a community. thank you. >> thank you very much. next speaker, please. [speaking in spanish]
11:26 am
>> good afternoon, my name is betty tavez. and i'm here representing the parents of cesar chavez. what i want to talk about is we've met with a lot of different district officials and district folks and we've had some very specific questions asked and we feel like the district hasn't been the most forthcoming in their answers and it's been kind of frustrating trying to get responses to our questions. [speaking in spanish]
11:27 am
11:28 am
>> as parents we feel frustrated not only at chavez but all the schools where latino children go because we feel like we've been given the run-around specifically about specific information we've asked for in this process, and in general, you know, five to six years ago there were 16-20 kids per class and the classes have gotten too large and we ask that state officials and district officials take the time to look at really what's happening at our schools and figure out how to give the best education to our children. [speaking in spanish]
11:29 am
>> at our school one of the things that we really want is an assistant principal. mostly because our principal doesn't have time to meet with teachers or to supervise them the appropriate way because she has too much stuff she has to handle and so that we would like there to be an assistant principal.

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on