Skip to main content

tv   TA Plans and Programs Committee 72115  SFGTV  August 9, 2015 8:30am-10:01am PDT

8:30 am
>> all right. good morning and welcome to our tuesday, july 21, 2015, of the tangs meeting i'm katie tang we have supervisor christensen supervisor breed and supervisor farrell here today, i want to thank sfgovtv jason and others steve. >> roll call
8:31 am
supervisor breed supervisor christensen supervisor farrell supervisor tang supervisor wiener kwhoopz supervisor yee we have quorum. >> thank you. we'll move on to item 2. >> citizens advisory committee an information item. >> we have chris our cca chair wanted to report on a few items on the agenda item 4 the question is the cac question whether the sales of the airport would close the funds during public comment it was brought up the curre the current routes conflict with the code regarding the future railroad connections to the east bay those are the two items that came up this item passed item 7 the geary brt as often
8:32 am
the case we on cac have questions on the corridor to which the cac staff addressed the concerns concerns as and do and the section of the item the cac question judge did san mateo and caltrain disagreement with the timing and san francisco proposal to move the bayshore station to the north but south assured the mayors process was work with the brisbane to address the concerns that passed item 8 an item the chinatown study i believe supervisor christensen you bracket this to this committee first so we'll be seeing this this month at our
8:33 am
meeting for the allocation request item 9 the brt a great deal concern from the interactions from the community level they've told me he they've gotten help and support from the ta 11 level of engagement on the project was concern raised by the cac by the brt public housing we were assured it would create more routes for the housing that's all i have. >> thank you very much for your presentation colleagues, any questions or comments seeing open up for public comment item 2 okay seeing none, public comment is closed and mr. clerk, call the consent calendar consent calendar three to four
8:34 am
all matters listed hereunder constitute a consent calendar, are considered to be routine staff will present to if you want to my any items might be removed separately. >> items three and four the minutes and the recommendations of the directors pressure release for funding here so i think we have to open up for public comment any public comments on the consent calendar seeing none, public comment is closed. roll call vote >> supervisor breed supervisor christensen supervisor farrell supervisor tang supervisor yee consent calendar passes. >> thank you very much and now we'll call up. >> item 56 recommended appointment of two members for the citizens advisory committee this is an action item. >> i'm michael picking for the record for the transportation authority the ssi has 11 members
8:35 am
severing a 2 year term this board appoints any members for vacancies more the cac make recommendations on the appointment to quality applicants must be san franciscan and appear before this committee for the qualification it is attachment 2 and can detailed applications can be found in the enclosure is shows information about the current committee members this is the term of expiration and two members gone this is - a total of 24 applicants for the vacancies with that, i'll take any questions all right. thank you very much any applicants that would like to speak today please come on up. >> good morning, commissioners
8:36 am
i'm jackie saks fifth avenue on the citizens advisory committee since 1997 i was one of the 45 individuals i'm sure you're aware of that was structural in writing prop b i with wrote as prop k years later i've been working on with the presidio parkway project which was opened last weekend i went to the since 2000 i've been working on the central subway i've been involved in the transportation of the city since 1986 i saw prop b being thought-out and i with prop k a 33 year project i want to see is it get reauthorized and continue giving
8:37 am
my gut to the ta and other committees and committee members i serve with thank you very much. >> thank you, ms. saks fifth avenue colleagues questions or comments we have another staff peter saks. >> morning members of the committee and supervisor tang thanks i'm peter saks a control since 2012 mooings live in the outer sunset community having talked that folks i'm excited about the chance to join the citizens advisory committee before i was a controller i was a beat reporter and give me the ability to get into the details and convert that technical jargon
8:38 am
into terms people understand i'm from land use maps and readily anytime to radio to be a nerd especially, after talking that i eric we need to place a higher priority with the bike infrastructure as a controller my thoughts are towards safety and keeping the right changes not as piecemeal projects help us get closer to ground zero we have talked and agree we we're doing everything we can in the short time and long-term to make mounting viable my wife and i share one car and don't think muni as a proud union member and as a air traffic controller i
8:39 am
saw the problems between management but know how to work collaboratively and movies an organization forward and meeting everyone's needs i'm interested in work working with the automobile union to make it beneficial to the city to address the service gaps as we work for more and more issues those are two of my questions happy to get started. >> those are the two applicant one a reemployment colleagues questions or comments well, i'll say colleagues i'm supportive of mr. peter saks with the form eric reiterating ledge he's been a wonderful safety member but look forward to working with mr. peter saks do contact our office
8:40 am
for the transportation issues i think that i don't know if supervisor farrell has comments about district 2. >> thank you to ms. saks we saw each other at the presidio parkway opening and want to thank you for your advocacy and be happy to support her in a really win the district. >> colleagues if there is is motion for ms. saks reappointment and mr. saks. >> if we can we take those amendments without objection? all right. congratulations ms. saks and mr. saks item (laughter) item 6 please oh, i'm sorry did we take public comment. any public comment on this item? item 5? all right. seeing none, public comment is closed all right. that item was
8:41 am
adapted we'll take that without objection. arrest item 6 >> item 6 recommended appointment of one member to the geary bus rapt committee an action item. >> chester with the transportation center. >> good morning chester with the transportation planner one 0 member to the geary committee for a 2 year term it meets quarterly to size the design and outreach issues there are seats for each exact date as well as at large seats the project team solicited the application as well as the projects e-mail contact list we received one application this is included in our packet kooefrn stall he has pedestrian safety advocacy he's
8:42 am
a transit rider and represents the neighborhood interests and the interests seniors 24 candidate has been - he is - he couldn't make it today. >> oh, he's here. >> i did not get that e-mail. >> just as a quick reminder for cac appointment no staff recommendation with pooled applicant i'll allow him to speak. >> sound like we have mr. kevin stall if you want to come up and make a brief presentation. >> good morning. i'm kevin stall i live in the tenderloin and district 6 neighborhood for almost 15 years an advocate for different citizen and community
8:43 am
projects going in the neighborhood as far as pedestrian safety and public safety anything that involves improving the neighborhood and communities i'm very excited to try to work with other people on the geary bus rapt advisory committee i take muni all the time and i've noticed all the changes not only on the bus line but in the neighborhoods it connects to and eager to work with the neighborhood groups and businesses that continue to need to you know use the bus line to go to where they need to live at go to where they need to go to hospital or business whatever this is an steel growing city
8:44 am
and i want to be a part of making this city and especially the tenderloin downtown area which is one of the most dangerous and growing communities to be able to yo and be more safer and have the communities input and voice as it is growing and changing so i want to make sure that i work - i'm also a member of the pedestrian safety committee another group that has works with other people who represent different people in the city different ideas and stuff to i'm able to work with other groups and agencies so i'm really would like eager to learn and be able to help do any part to make the city safer and better sorry. >> thank you very much for your
8:45 am
presentation. >> colleagues questions or comments at this time open up for public comment any members of the public seeing none, public comment is closed so again colleagues this item for this particular seat we need a representative in the downtown area this individual comes with the recommendation of supervisor kim so can we have a motion for mr. stall. >> so moved. >> moved by supervisor yee and seconded by anyone. >> all right. supervisor christensen okay. and we'll take that without objection. congratulations mr. stall all right. item 7. >> item 7 recommended allocation of $38 million plus in prop k funds with conditions in an appropriation of 6 hundred plus thousand dollars for the cash flow distribution schedules.
8:46 am
>> morning chad that the trtd you have 10 requests for the 40 the house thousand million dollars in prop k funds i'll provide an overview of the first 8 on the genie of the sfmta is requesting over $10 million for par a transit those funds cover the paratransit for the modes including tax and service and other communities services on paratransit is higher and complaints are generally although the next f the budget is a bit higher it includes additional needed improvements for the van service to reduce the passenger ride the for the travel times and the initiative
8:47 am
that was spearheaded by supervisor yee the sfgov project will fund sfmta to upgrade the traffic you can see some of the improvements for the signal infrastructure and for transit the 3 year for the entire van ness including the brt and kwoerptd with the larger initiative and the improvements for the van ness corridor okay. the franklin upgrade requested funds to upgrade the traditional along franklin street and the divisadero street corridor for it to be upgraded like poles and larger more visible signals and the pedestrian consultant u compound signals here we have the potrero hill
8:48 am
and traffic stop improvements project the june's project agenda included an item for the potrero hill transportation plan this request for the improvement capital funds help to fund one of the recommendations and leverages almost $500,000 in lifeline programs for the preparation and improvements that accommodates the traffic and increases the pedestrian safety is on 5 intersections shown on the screen those could be eyed to provide space for elevated complafrmd and bulb outs lombardi street corridor a request for nearly 8 hundred 50 thousands some area marked as capital funding the bulk of the request for the design of 14
8:49 am
bulb outs both pedestrian that is coordinated and billed as part of the caltrain project that includes the construction funds for a number of pedestrian safety improvements and also $75,000 for transportation authority staff to provide support with the caltrans and overhead permitting it was included in the request of the public works 19th avenue is next the prop k funds funds transportation authority for technical sausages during the design stage if the department to provide continuity for similar to the bottom of the hill o lombardi vacationing situation some of the tasks constituent in the scope for the $75,000 will be to provide
8:50 am
guidance with the caltrans rectify and permitting review and interpreting caltrans technical review for milestones throughout the project the plans and programs put in a request for the combined city project the design phase is signals that is part of the multi integrated bronze to different infrastructure an all in favor, signify by i including the better signals and for people walker and by the public works commission a transbay transit center communication overview the transbay joint powers authority is requesting money for the overview program math and property management formals f 2015-2016 this might look familiar the work that is fund similar to pass the allocations
8:51 am
to the transbay joint powers authority that the transportation authority has made those funds are programmed for this purpose within prop k during item 10 on the agenda eel you'll hear an update on the cost increase for phase one that didn't impact the current request next is the given brt faeshltd study the prop k funds provide as part of the november transportation authority appropriation you'll hear more on 9 agenda recommending the report to that project with that, i'm going to turn it over to chief suhr take care for the geary project. >> morning supervisor tang and members of the board this is for the geary bus rapt project this is in the environmental review
8:52 am
stage 10 percent engineering design level transportation authority is the lead for this peace of the project but sfmta is is the leading agency and an individual from the mta is here to answer questions to release the document document in the fall and middle 2016 to bring an action item to the the right board to approve the project and close the environmental process the intent to advance the engineering design so this the improvements can be shovel ready the first of those requests is what we call the construction phase a lower set subset that could precede soon after the environmental process but the funds are for conceptual and final engineering design the improvements are the side running transit of the portion
8:53 am
and the bus and pedestrian bouths and signal upgrades second request for the geary bus rapt is for phase 2 this includes the central bus lines and the mediums that go along with that portion of the corridor those will bring the improvements up to the thirty percent design level again, the intent to start this work now so we can be closer to the shovel ready when the environmental process is completed does chad have any closings comments if not, we're done. >> supervisor yee. >> thank you supervisor tang this is not a question i wanted to make a comment i wanted to really thank there were a group of people that came to my office to point out the issue with the
8:54 am
paratransit program in particular for those who are living on the west side the seniors and people that were not mobile but had a difficult times getting the services on the east side and sometimes, we don't come up with solutions and when we do come up with solutions working with sfmta and the transportation authority to say well, what do we need to get in fixed so this will be an acceptable time for people not sitting in a van for 3 hours to get the service only becomes one hour and 3 hours back to their homes i want to thank both organizations for being flexible
8:55 am
and creative in vrnlt solutions. >> reporter thank you, colleagues any questions or comments on this thank you sfmta staff for the prop k allocations at this time i'll open up for public comment any public comment on item 7 okay seeing none, public comment is closed and colleagues if we could take item 7 we'll take that without objection. >> that item passes item 8. >> item 8 recommended topics of the of adaptation of the chinatown final report an action item. >> thank you, brian. >> hi, everyone ryan senior transportation planner with the transportation authority this item begins on page 53 of your packet i'm here today as steve said to present the final report of the chinatown transportation
8:56 am
plan that was funded by prop k that was to identify the priorities in local communities especially communities of concern and i'm sure you're aware of we created the program in a similar vein this project focuses on the chinatown the concern among the community concern has the highest shares of elderly and disabled residents so fragile and unique community so we worked closely with community members to identify their key priorities the priorities we identified for the studies were really particularly about pedestrian safety and especially on broadway and kearny street when, in fact, are the high corridor in chinatown
8:57 am
in addition to stockton street on broadway we heard there was a lot of concern about pedestrian safety and particularly the relationship of pedestrian safety to travel volumes on the street as part of van ness bureau project in particular we heard about concerns of the traffic volumes and you know the future of the street and we did a review which included analysis of ideas that came up with pedestrian safety and did a review of plan projects along the corridor we found for broadway street there is a robust pipeline of shovel readies pedestrian safety improvements for most of the, in fact, all of the high injury intersections along broadway between columbus and van ness this is part of the broadway polk and columbus straight studies and identified that there could be further enhancements to the pedestrian
8:58 am
safety through the signaled timing adjustments to identify those particularly for polk and stockton streets and there maybe other opportunities in the future kerney street different from broadway unlike broadway not a pipeline of pedestrian safety improvements project from my prospective looking at the data for kerney is should be a top priority for pedestrian safety emergency this graph is showing really gary the pedestrian safety record on kerney with others high injury corridors in chinatown and elsewhere in the city as you can see curry is on the far right has a far worse think records than the other high injury corridors in chinatown itch higher than other
8:59 am
high injury corridors in the city a very significant issue and priority so i'll briefly share some of the top trshtdz on curry street we saw conflicts with a number of loeshgsz locations you have double turn lane if you have experience crossing goons against two lanes of turning vehicles is it can create a situation that cross pedestrians have not visual and a number of distance a number of high volumes of vehicles conflicting is crossing pedestrians we've observed pedestrians violations and another important contributor the fact that kerney so relatively uncongested we saw
9:00 am
in general the intersections were operating for vehicles and traffic was moving generally high speeds so 32 mile-per-hour for example, for the speed limit of 25 this makes a difference for an elderly civilian this is a significant issue that we'll need to address other issues are slow muni speeds 6 to 7 mile-per-hour on this corridor closely spade stops between turning vehicles as well and a bicyclist high injury corridor identified as a provided for the muni forward process and the bike strategy there are a lot of needs pedestrian safety and transit improvements and bicycle safety are issues we've been working with sfmta to identify how to address those issues moderating and one of our top
9:01 am
recommendations to move forward as quickly as possible with intersections of clay a recent fatality that occurred there fortunately we are that working to identify improvements that would, implemented shown on the screen very short time treatments we also have identified that this corridor as i mentioned the very significant issue with pedestrian safety really needs a corridor length treatment not just intersection spot treatments that address the safeties along the entire corridor with the transit and bicycle safety so we need a corridor solution one that can be implemented quickly again we've worked with mta and the community and mta has identified a project manager that we have questions from him
9:02 am
they'll be coming in september for an in tip request for funds to study this corridor and recommend improvements so they'll be able to share the details but plan to move ahead with this and we have identified 3 concepts we feel should be looked at as potential corridor to address pedestrian safety and other issues one option a series of pedestrian scrambles along the corridor or a road diet and introduce striping that might include the removal of double turn lanes and changing the timing to reduce speeds and implementing sgrarlz up and down the corridors any solution could potentially solve the problem but want to emphasize any
9:03 am
solutions addressing the speed that is problematic for the fag i will elderly population and address the conflicts of the turning vehicles that's a major contributor to the peaceful problem we look forward to working with mta i'm pleased we're able to move forward to the recommendations with mta leads in the next step thank you all and look forward to our comments. >> thank you very much for your presentation. >> supervisor christensen. >> i have a couple of questions i'm assuming you looked at the causes we're concerned you recommended the focus on the death so the presentation didn't include the leading usa's causes of injuries. >> uh-huh and so ones i mentioned the conflict. >> proportionly. >> i'm aware of the maneuver ability issues and not so much
9:04 am
the speed to what degree is speed. >> it is a major factor the study they you know ranked issues and speeding come out of the top issue and we confirmed that with the speed surveys of it it - the sample was 32 mile-per-hour that might not seemed to me that fast to a driver but an elderly pedestrian between 35 and 32 is numerous it doesn't need to be like 10 miles per hour. >> the question the degree to which we associate those finding with the injuries on the corridor. >> yes. we can. >> yes. >> i think come on iaven't seen that level of detail. >> i object to provide that. >> in terms of a road diets the
9:05 am
next streets going west are grant avenue and stockton street i'll saying saw i say in the context of road diets those streets are starving if you clamp down how traffic what is the impact on adjacent streets. >> we haven't gone favorite than this phase we need to look at that issue. >> because certainly something needs to be done that's clear and everybody is trying to figure out that i don't know if you or your colleague can answer we have the guests central subway coming o'ly haven't seen preparation for the increase in foot traffic we've got east west like clay and washington that are going to connect with the
9:06 am
chinatown with the financial district for example, to what grey degree did preparation for that change. >> we didn't look at that as part of the study fiscal year on the pedestrian safety the exist pedestrian safety issues i mean, i'll is that any steps we can make to improve pedestrian safety on the have the is important it makes those changes critical i know there's an interest in do the sidewalks have capacity on franklin and clay that's a significant issue needs to be looked at we didn't look at that as part of this work. >> thank you so i don't know if it is appropriate at this time but as you mentioned we're looking at both narrowing the scope of study in relations to a
9:07 am
project gnarling or narrowly it to the kerney square where a lot of injuries occur and the anticipated growth it expected and broadening it to include the subway and portsmouth square we've got to garage queuing for the square and the entrance to the square again i don't know if the study went deeply into how to address it i don't know if it is appropriated to have the colleague comment on that is that possible. >> you want it? >> thank you very much uh-huh. >> welcome. >> hello greg with the san francisco transportation authority plans & programs committee i took my assignment and kerney street figured out go
9:08 am
vision 2025 corridor and the muni corridor this is a bike strategy corridor and that's all the information i've been working on this and the recent developments i've been working closely with ryan and the launch of the kerney corridor and the transit safety it is a catchy name that will be launching this fall and immediately is the curry where the fatality we knew before that that was the most disastrous intersection so many we have ideas i'd like to share with you guys at the appropriate time i don't have the details but again a lot of interest in the community to do something extremely immediately if we want to focus on this and
9:09 am
focus on the corridor as quickly as possible so that's the larger project. >> so we're talking basically about washington, clay, curry within a couple of blocks of the location the garage and entrance all of that tabled web and maybe preliminary to ask if you have some schedule some rough target of when we might be getting recommendations and . >> for the immediate intersection. >> i'd like say both. >> i'm approach it with immediate curry and washington immediacy hope to have ideas out there one the next couple of weeks and implemented by the mta for the signal shopping shop within a month or two my first implementing project i'm learning how the implementation goes but it is a huge priority
9:10 am
hoping i can do it quickly and then yeah immediately after that will be the kickoff of the involved community process, etc. along curry street and we were delighted to have you on board and glad you'll help us untable this. >> colleagues questions or comments all right. i also want to thank ta no matter which district we represent visitors they go to chinatown we're looking forward to the improvements all right. so at this time i'll open up for public comment for. is there anyone from the public that wishes to speak on item 8? >> if you can please line up along this wall over here that would be great. >> supervisor tang and commissioners as a member of the cac we were just slowly slightly
9:11 am
briefed on this item a couple of months ago this sort of thing i know that supervisor christensen you wanted this moved forward because of the servicing but the gentleman that is from our district he had a lot of questions on the item this was with me i was wondering if there's a way you - when we have our next cac meeting will we have a full report? it is this going to be going to go through without the cac knowing about it. >> we have our executive director tilly chang. >> we'll be presenting this and cac meeting no september this is unusual but for reasons of the
9:12 am
expectancy we wanted to bring it forward. >> go for it like i said this is something we barely had a chance to go through the servicing but if you feel it is important then go for it as long as we can get an update and get the fill funding comes before us again in september when we have our meeting in august when we have our meeting and we can we have a recess next month and this item can go forward thank you. >> thank you very much. >> thank you. next speaker, please. >> morning, commissioners name may a chinatown residents today, i want to address the concern the clay intersection that intersection it is important i live at the corner every single day i see many people crossing
9:13 am
the intersection going home or park or school there also many hundreds of senior citizens seniors that walk slower to cross the street the streets are a caging challenge for people to cross so crosswalks is not visible to geary when the cars - sometimes they'll block the crosswalks if you put you're in the seniors shoes the seniors walk slower they'll left in the street the cars with turning and they will have a higher chance of getting injured i want the mta or commissioners to truly effective engineering to change and make a phase for pedestrians to cross
9:14 am
without worrying about be injured thank you. >> thank you very much next and from chinatown cd d we've been working closely with the folks on this plan thank you to everyone at the ta for the efforts on focusing on broadway and curry i'd like to make comments on the prelims of this plan we would really like to see a finish we heard about a fatality it was really tragedy but not surprisingly to us the intersection at clay and curry our offices are located there we see the clchlts between the
9:15 am
pedestrians and motorists we see the city metrics for the improvements needed for that intersection for the good folks at the sfmta if we could, of course, quickly evaluate this plan and plan for changes to the corridor but with an emphasis on clay and kerney that would be great and very importantly much needed for the supervisor we appreciate our continued focus on kerry street with the immediate focus on clay and kerney so we look forward to some immediate changes and we would like to thank everyone for their efforts. >> thank you very much. >> next speaker, please. >> good morning. i'm listing i can't a youth in chinatown cac so in if i pass by everyday i
9:16 am
sometimes look around and see seniors i work with pass by kearny street it worries about me they're having trouble crossing the streets last sometime any sister participated in actually studying the corridor of kearny street to tally the violations and i was a bit surprised how much was collected i pass by this place everyday there are violations but seeing how it supposedly me i read the packet i saw one of the solutions would be the scramble system is separates traffic and pedestrians and also there's a lot of system in the street we know how the scramble system works there are no changes that are perfect but
9:17 am
again, we need immediate action we want to save lives and hopefully what we can make changes before another life is taken thank you. >> thank you very much. >> next speaker, please. >> good morning sxhigsz e commissions i'm andrew a resident of chinatown district 3 i've 0 crossed the kearny and clay intersections hundreds of time in my life for work or downtown or meeting with other youths across the intersection to the point often after often when i cross the east bay to clay curry a car will grace my back one second before the green light and sometimes when i walk on the southern side of the eastbound lanes i would find myself stuck in the middle
9:18 am
because a car needed to cross we as residents knew it was dangerous data railroads the calibers it is tragedy a fatality where a that he had right-of-way was violated at it sgrshgs last month i'm asking for is an engineering solution for the pedestrians not cars should have a head start thank you. >> thank you very much. >> next speaker, please. >> >> i'm david part of the chinatown cd c youth group over the incident that happened on curry we at the time set out with captain larry lazzaro original we were studying the left turn from clay to kearny
9:19 am
that's where the incident happened most of violations happen when cars are making a right turn the two main reasons the reason that people the drivers radio not yielding to pedestrians and second they turn off lane instead of in the turn pocket they turn in the second lane and even like cars wouldn't even yield for people like captain lazzaro; right? there's a big pedestrian issue in appear pedestrian safety and separating cars from pedestrians i think the skranl system is the way to go thank you. >> thank you very much. >> thank you. next speaker, please. >> good morning. i'm maggie i'm a youth leader if chinatown cd c one of my top concerns for pedestrians and drivers in
9:20 am
chinatown is, of course, the intersection of clay and kearny i saw one of the proposed ideas was to make a make it illegal to turn left from clay to kearny on a red light i was thinking maybe make that turn a protected left turn to separate the pedestrians from the drivers because even at a green light the drivers still have to deal with pedestrians so if it was a protected left turn there is also two turning lanes it could give the drivers some more space. >> all right. thank you very much >> next speaker. >> hi, i'm stephen from
9:21 am
chinatown cd c around kerry street is occupied by seniors and those seniors will utilize the kroouks crosswalks to get to the park where they entertain themselves i've seen in those are like dangerous left turns and a scandal system will help as well as the seniors to cross safely and on time thank you for your time. >> thank you >> next speaker. >> >> next speaker, please. >> hello, i'm sandy consider chinatown as my second home i'm from the bayview neighborhood martin luther king said treat to justice is a threat everywhere it is facing pedestrian injustice not long ago there was a
9:22 am
fatality collision on happened on kearny and clay and in this collision kearny street has the worst pedestrian safety record of any street in chinatown every time when i come out to chinatown i see that the problem is happening the cars the speed to kearny street may kearny is a place for them to dry through but for us it is our home maybe when you drive so fast you don't realize there is the integral hotel which houses a lot of low income seniors and the elementary school is located on kearny street and occupancies
9:23 am
if you were to slow down when you drive you would see that kearny street is not just a place to speed through a community of people pedestrians deserve to feel safe when they cross the street why did kearny street have the problem of cars speeding through why are pedestrians in kearny street getting hurt? in here today i'd like to ask the engineers to get cars to slow down for chinatown we demand judged for pedestrian safety thank you. >> thank you very much. >> next speaker, please. >> hello my name is stephanie i'm a youth leader at chinatown community development center
9:24 am
i usually see seniors cross by kearny and clay street they usually go to the accredit to volunteer and when they get through that food pantry the food are heavy and very hard for them to walk on kearny and clay street because cars goes by kearny street usually turn at a really fast pace and it is hard for seniors who get food from food pantry to walk at a really fast pace on the street so i believe that the street on kearny street should be converted from a dual turn to a single left turn thank you.
9:25 am
>> thank you very much. >> next speaker, please. >> morning my name is nicole the executive director of walk sf and want to thank all the youth that come out and the cd c and kearny and clay and especially ryan that has been leading this project we at walk sf have been involved that supporting cd c and ta in moved 24 project forward for the last year and a half i'd like this youth working on this project to raise their hand raise your hand. >> we've been working on this over a year and it took a death took blood on the ground for us to prioritize that is in the acceptable we need mta to move a project
9:26 am
forward quickly we need a scramble in the ground don't need to study the skranl we need mta to get this in the ground before kids and seniors start crossing that street even though their crossing at high rates everyday the inaction is unacceptable i at walk sf asking mta to move on this one intersection for the last year and a half not seeing any movement we need to not just talk about those problems and wait for someone to die on the street think about your grandmother or grandfather it is not acceptable the skremg scramble need to get into the ground and stop making accuses is there any additional public comment on item 8 seeing none, public comment is closed supervisor yee. >> thank you
9:27 am
i just want to thank the folks for coming out especially nicole i grew up around that - 2, 3, 4 district 3 and does a lot of my adult work in district 3 i'm familiar with what people are talking about absolutely clay and kearny street and washington should be a priority to look at i fully port the use of system advantages in those intersections it may slow down a little bit maybe we need to slow things down when i look at i go down there all the time and the only solution is really to have those scramble intersections in the other intersections there are other intersections on kearny that probably is waiting
9:28 am
for something serious to happen and that includes bush and kearny it is same issue two lanes of cars going at a rapid speedy really would like to see sfmta look at that real quickly also before something a tragedy happens there thank you. >> thank you supervisor yee colleagues, any other questions or comments i too want to thank everyone all the youth that came out open this particular item item 8 with that, then if we could take this item without objection this item passes. >> item 8. >> recommended the geneva business rapt this is an action item. >> thank you. we have david.
9:29 am
>> hi, good morning deputy director for the transportation authority plans & programs committee this is the feasibility study that was recommend for adoption on page 57 of our packet i'm pleased to bring this the study look at the improved east west concentrating transit in brisbane study is actually building off the work in the transportation study with partners on both sides of the county line that connects the old and new community with caltrans and bart balboa park and caltrans station we concerned in the alignment one of the western sections on geneva avenue and the other part of the eastern section we look at in a second the geneva portion we looked at
9:30 am
the top portion a 4 lines the bus rapid transit will be running on the side lanes and non-buffered and substandard sidewalks on the bottom part of the slide the other option the bus rapid transit with the buffered bike lanes the eastern alignment two option in yellow actually in red on that screen it is the one we call the one way couplet that used the hollywood area to get the bus service cross 101 and the southern option that routes the bus through the bayview area for the buffer to the south we are working with ecology throughout the study to identify the timeline for the bayview
9:31 am
option we'll talk about in the latter part of the presentation. >> for the one paw cup lightwell we've landmarked two all of the elements looking at keeping parking on both sides but enabling the bus service by reducing the sidewalk width and having the ground utilities the other option to remove the parking only one side and keep the sidewalks the same as current are right now in terms of understanding the impact parking would be reduced approximately from 1.8 on street parking to 4.5 the study team looked at the mitigation measures for not impacting parking too much so we heard concerns from the community and shared the benefits of the different all of
9:32 am
the elements and basically, we saw anymore reliable transit for the people moving into the shipyard and more frequent transit and less transfers to regional transit stops we have crossing opportunity on geneva avenue we're looking at pedestrian for improved facilities for bicyclists but in terms of or in terms of parking availability in the neighborhood traffic diversion and changing the character of the neighborhood previous options you saw in the near timeframe from 2023 is the implementation date in the long term we looked at a brt service through the geneva extension through the brisbane development as you can see on the slide in addition to the brt we looked l
9:33 am
r t an l r t between green maintenance facility that portion of the study to be concluded it is pend final determination of the benefits having that connection so in terms of technical finding brt is feasible l r t is feasible on grades ton geneva avenue again, the l r t is to be determined and brt has safety improvements with the full project for pedestrians and bicyclists there will be a next phase sfmta has come in with an allocation of funds i'll give the microphone from sfmta to talk about the next phase quickly lloyd i'd like to thank the project manager in the audience for pushing that project forward and sarah for
9:34 am
the ta who really the an amazing job in terms of carrying the process i'll give the microphone to frank and ask susan representative of the cac to give us your remarks. >> okay thanks david good morning, chair dancing u tilly chang and commissioners i'm frank the transportation planner with the sfmta and looking at your time i'll be brief we anticipate a smooth hand off from the feasibility study to the next phase the prevail study where the mta will took over the project cooperating with the authority and our other partners, of course, we'll eventually be operating this service and also an important part of the overall
9:35 am
major increase in the transit service needed for to serve the candle stick point shipyard we envision a 6 to 12 months effort we'll be refinancing the alternatives looking at the light rail options and developing the budget for the environmental phase at the same time that will allows to do additional community outreach we hope we'll be able to use the same citizens advisory committee with the praerpt jurisdictions agree we'll look at funding and implementation strategy so we can aim towards fulfilling this commitment we have for serving the shipyard and the other major developments starting service by
9:36 am
2023 i will be happy to answer any questions thank you. >> all right. thank you very much. >> colleagues questions or comments or any of the staff. >> susan just a brief remarks from the representative on the project cac. >> 2u commissioners i'm susan sullivan a resident of brisbane a a voter in san mateo county coming in is not easy but your precipitation are different i've been going to the meeting bringing the brisbane precipitation because a lot of this project borders on the city of bringing brisbane and daily city having angle impact on all
9:37 am
of us the feasibility study is valid it brings out significant points that deserve fallout study and not the geneva corridor but the choice do this and that do the hardy candle stick point is straightforward this is the uniquely development the area between bayshore and 101 is a problem an area that is going under tremendous change and trumps development some in the city of san francisco by a lot in the city of brisbane find interesting the parking lot is in the city and county of san francisco the train platform in the city of brisbane it gives us an idea how perplex i recommended adapting the feasibility study but recommend
9:38 am
better coordination with the other communities and the other counties that are involved in this area any questions? colleagues questions or comments okay. seeing none thank you very much thank you >> thank you all right. so then i think at this time we'll open up for public comment there's a lot more work to do on item 9 okay seeing none, public comment is closed and if we could take that without objection all right. so this is adapted we'll take that without objection. item 10. >> major capital project transbay transit and this is an informational item. >> good morning supervisor tang and commissioners my name is - i'm the principle engineer with the capital
9:39 am
section of transportation authority plans & programs committee i'm here to provide an update an informational item and you will find the number related to this item on page 61 of your packet items that will be covering today include the project scope and schedule and project status and workforce program and the challenges for the project moving forward scope of the projectile comes to the transbay transit center is in state of the art expenditure plan for the building including the implementation of the temporarily terminal the new cd c and building of the park and the bus storage facility the
9:40 am
phase two is the caltrans downtown expectation that consists of fourth and king to the transbay transit center this portion of the project has been detailed due to significant funding gaps leasing portion of this project is the transmitted with 3 thousand new homes with thirty percent set aside for affordable housing my focus for today will be the phase one the project i'm going to give you detail and go forward with that so the project schedule for phase one basically i'm sure you're aware of the temporarily terminal it in operation and the remaining the completion of the below grade we anticipate by september of 2015 the field super structure is going to be implemented in
9:41 am
june 2016 and the above grade concrete follows in 2016 the bus ramps to the transit center about june 2016 as well and the exterior curtain wall in september of the 2016 the interior finishes will be implemented in december as the bus portion will begin a year after that in december of 2017 total phase one project budget is one $.899 billion or one thousand $899 billion as approved in july 2013 that was a 3 hunters point and $10 million increase over the original budget the cac team addresses the increases to saving the jerseys additional financial strategies and reducing the costs by the super structure the
9:42 am
staff is working on updating the bubltdz i'll talk about that later on currently 33 the expenditures are about $1.127 billion as of may of 2015 this is about a 59 percent budget expenditure reflecting an advancement one of the things we've noticed the project has used their program reserves and reduced that to $5.5 million when originally $87 million drawn down to cover over the estimated budget as 2 hundred percent of the general contractors budget
9:43 am
phase one funding of basically includes $642 million in federal funding $10 million of state funding, 3 hundred plus original funding and $904 million of local funding of which the hundred and $39 million is important to recognize the revenue from lands sales contributed to the project funding plan that includes the melrose account that totaled to $307 million for the total funding of the project. >> quick update on the construction activity for phase one the below grade construction is complete and almost 37 percent complete and the overall construction of the transit
9:44 am
transbay center 50 percent completely what we anticipate in the near it term the packages that have been award in 2015 it includes the landscaping at the land level level and interior finishes, glazing packages and the awning construction, the bit packages that will be awarded last night in 2015 radio the rooftop escape and the bus that is the expansion drawings and the my mind construction age further in the remainder of 2015 are the scope of ground floors and rooftop and electrical and plumbing and the artwork the only thing left the information technology that will conclude the remaining work on the project
9:45 am
small and business program is a very robust program for the project and has been successfully engaging small businesses in the project implementations from the onset of the project in 200410 percent of the total expenditures have been vociferated and paid to ges and 21 percent to f b e's out of the one million dollars 5 hundred 57 hundred thousand of laboring labor on the project nearly 67 percent are local workforce and out of that 17 percent are san francisco residents so the project challenges where we are today currently, we have
9:46 am
increasing costs on the project due to perplex design and environment there are lots of building going on in san francisco implementing the quality of the estimate provided by the gmc is less than desirable we had a mirror detail on the project for basically, you see the increasing due to the complexity of design and the big environment other thing to address the reaccomplishment of the program reserves the funding gap is $247 million a confidence level using the f t m i so more detail on the funding gap that's been present by tjpa
9:47 am
as well as the project team it indicates we have option for addressing that one of the options as considered was detailing the bus storage but one of the aspects is the cost has gone up to $9.5 million reflects a $3 million plus cost increase to address the funding gap we have heard about several options as i mentioned the referral of the bus storage will allow us to eliminate a $19.5 million that this facility is serving ac transit that use it for the freeway and the concern they have is that they will have increased operating costs if they don't have this facility to
9:48 am
store the buses the third includes an assess point into the t cc where the transit buses assess through into the facility they usually don't use their ramps that they are going to be built other option to use the sales of the parcels and one of the items we've talked about earlier is the parcel left tjpa is anticipating a anytime bid of one hundred $60 million this is a parcel between first and 2 and howard street that connects to the rooftop park the pharmacies or parcels were originally set aside for the project but we are looking at this as an option to close the funding gap tjpa will
9:49 am
be hosting a live auction in december of 2016 and anticipate higher funds of one hundred $50 million i think i - >> all right. with those two incorporated into the funding gap analysis what is remaining $87.5 million to the address tjpa staff is looking to use the melrose fund currently $100 million for phase one a timing issue where the fund may not be available so a need for financing that has an issue are
9:50 am
redirecting fund from feats one to two tjpa is looking at sponsoring opportunities project is well underway and tjpa feels confident they can deliver this one the proposed budget we'll be working to allow the project to draw down and continue to work on the advocacy for phase two of the project i'd like to thank mark of tjpa for his cooperation and collaboration in being here in the audience thank you >> all right. thank you very much for your presentation supervisor breed. >> thank you i had just a question you just mentioned that the anticipated project is going to basically come in under budget or within the budget and i had had
9:51 am
information contrary to that there was an exception that the project would steady the budget considerably if this is the day why are we at a point it comes in at budget. >> i have to make sure i clarify i don't think they will be coming in under the budget currently approved if from 2013 they are seeking additional funds with their presentation to their board in september of 2015 that budget they're going to take forgot regretting the $200,347,000,000 increase over the one .899. >> thank you. >> supervisor yee. >> thank you
9:52 am
maybe i lost the place you started going through some of the fund that comes in. >> the current funding plan. >> yeah. i guess this is a question with the $53 million they - even though percentage wise it is a small percentage but the $3 million is just labeled other can you give us a better sense of the other $43 million will come from. >> the $43 million the local plan? >> yeah. >> i will ask maria to help me out with that if you don't mind. >> they talk about the 7. >> slide 7 the total is 9 hundred and one and you're
9:53 am
asking what are the $43 million under other local and yeah. like i said this is a small percentage relatively speaking but the $43 million is a chunk of money. >> i don't know offhand but i'll get you that information if you could address - >> good morning, commissioners sarah with the tjpa largely it is contributions from transit their contributing $39 million to the project and approximately $10 million or so that is an lease and properties that were acquired and leased out to needing them for construction and investment. >> thank you supervisor christensen. >> so it's a lot of money to be
9:54 am
throwing around i was curious so if seems like in a woo we're sort of taking out a second mortgage and selling the families silver to keep our heads above water i guess my preliminary concern some of the impacts on the future phases so when we sold property that was intended to phase two and borrowed funds if phase two allocations and we've got 0 thirty percent confidence rating that where we are now really is the budget where are we going to be in phase two. >> well currently phase two has a one thousand $857 million gap we've increased that number. >> yes. >> so fast two has a long way to go to get the phasing gap that's one the main goals to
9:55 am
enter contest. >> if we build it will they come. >> yes. >> all right. colleagues questions or comments okay. seeing none then i think we'll go to public comment on this item there's a lot more work to do on item 10? please come on up >> good morning i'm tim i've been involved in this for 20 years i think the staff report is very good but i urge you to drill further into f it when newsom was mayor a threat we'll have a billion dollars business station with no train he directed a task force to create when ruled in the increase in pipelines pipes and zoning in the area that helped to fund the melrose district to provide fund for the
9:56 am
downtown extension now the melrose funds turns out to be more wonderful than we thought and a chunk into the increasing costs of terminal you now look at we are on the road to a $2 billion bus terminal with two no extension i can't imagine the transit will not scream like a stuffed pig in not having their bus storage yard they're a partner but can't be dismissed why not dismiss the artwork and give them the bus yard and detail that those are issues that need to be dealt with in a rigorous manner the park so for the sponsoring having the funding has not been particularly beneficial we'll try a second round that is an additional charge every time
9:57 am
there is an increase to the melrose funds less mel restraining orders rose funds the melrose was to be leveraged to get even though money from other sources so we can have a dentist extension in no money in the melrose pot the we'll have a $2 million bus term and no twran you will be more bothered by what is going on thank you very much. is there any additional public comment on item 10 seeing none, public comment is closed colleagues that was an informational item item 11. >> introduction of new items. >> any introduction of new items public school public comment on item 11 no public comment is closed. item 12 and public comment. >> all right. please come on up if you have any public
9:58 am
comment. >> yes. commissioners, i do have something i'd like to tell you as it is now they're calling - there's only one other female that is representing district 5 on the cac and myself i suggest in the future if you want to have diversities throughout the city have not all commissioners commission not all committees you should - one of the members resigns or whatever you should consider a female because having a male dominated we were having only two females and 9 males on the cac right now and it should be more diverse than that you know take into consideration the ethnicity of the individual and what not but
9:59 am
have no more females i'm not against males don't worry about it but i want you to take into consideration any public comment. >> seeing none, public comment is closed item 13. >> adjournment. >> this meeting is adjourned.
10:00 am
>> good afternoon it the one p.m. this is the meeting on the san francisco community investment & infrastructure commission to the redevelopment agree for monday, august 4, 2015,

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on